• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
With all the deconfirmations today we need a graveyard.

BTW For tomorrow I am going to have the following things rated unless we get any other newcomers.

Snake Satisfaction

Ice Climber Satisfaction

Wolf Satisfaction

Pokemon Trainer Satisfaction

Young Link Satisfaction

Pichu Satisfaction

Inkling Satisfaction

Daisy Satisfaction

Ridley Satisfaction

and any other newcomer/newcomers we get potentially.

Crap I double posted my b.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So I've had some time to think about how I feel.

On one hand it's exciting and interesting to see they're going down the route of bringing back every veteran....(though I can't really say Pichu and Young Link returning give me any hype)

but there is another part of me that feels like this is the last Smash Bros game, does anyone else get that vibe? Or at least the vibe that we always had with previous Smash games where everything felt possible is gone. I mean that's why it's being called "Smash Bros Ultimate".

I mean it was natural that this would eventually happen to Smash as the roster got bigger but even so it still makes me feel a little sad.

So overall I have mixed feelings.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Meowth showed up, but it was the Alolan one...

Soooooo

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah I just did too. The cat's disconfirmed alongside Snorlax

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I can not wait for the overrated underrated day. I feel that we will get a huge shake up. I also would like to gauge some opinion. Should we do some structured days after E3? Rerate some characters?

Troykv

Smash Master
Honestly I can not wait for the overrated underrated day. I feel that we will get a huge shake up. I also would like to gauge some opinion. Should we do some structured days after E3? Rerate some characters?
Yeah, but... Which ones?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
We should definitely rerate King K. Rool after the Ridley reveal and no cuts. This could be in his favor, or perhaps against it as he wasn't at E3.

Rex & Pyra, Decidueye, and Simon Belmont should also be looked at - the latter due to the Vergeben rumor mostly (and Snake and Bomberman are in some way)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
We should definitely rerate King K. Rool after the Ridley reveal and no cuts. This could be in his favor, or perhaps against it as he wasn't at E3.

Rex & Pyra, Decidueye, and Simon Belmont should also be looked at - the latter due to the Vergeben rumor mostly (and Snake and Bomberman are in some way)
Ridley kind of helps K. Rool; he's very wanted, but I guess Ridley was enough for E3 Main Presentation

Rex and Decidueye needs to low their scores, the circunstances had become harder for them.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Btw but spoilers for my overrated and underrated votes K Rool, Lycanroc, and Mimikyu will definitely be in the underrated column and as much as I love them Rex and Pyra, Celica, and Decidueye will definately be in the overrated column.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
I owe an apology to everyone who said that there'd be no cuts. Although I never actually said you guys were crazy, I was thinking it.

Some highlights from the reveal trailer for me:
-We can finally see Robin's weapon durability.
-Ice Climbers return.
-Calling to the Night might actually return given that we have Shadow Moses Island.
-Daisy actually looks surprisingly cool.
-Toad being more involved in Peach/Daisy's move pool.
-Ridley looking awesome.
-Ridley being revealed early so we don't have to spend the entire speculation process over analyzing the size of a shadow. (that got ridiculous)

I'm a little concerned about the fact that they've brought back over 60 stages from the previous games. Only around 5% of the stages revealed so far are brand new. between this and all 65 veterans, they seem to be putting far too many resources into returning features. I'm worried that this game may not have a lot of new content. Don't get me wrong, I understand Sakurai and his team are probably horribly overworked building what will likely be a 70+ character fighting game and they need recycle as much resources as possible. Maybe it would have been better if they were given until 2019/2020 to complete the project so that they can work on new content, but I can't help but feel the higher ups have been pushing them to get this game out as quickly as possible.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
TBH the Battlefield stage mode matters more to me than the addition of new stages (slightly disappointed they're not called α stages). Most of the good platform arrangements have already been done. We all know most people will spend most of their time on a handful of stages. Or at least, I will.

I'd be fine with just taking some existing stages and creating "clones" with new aesthetics.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
I thought no cuts would be likely but I didn't think every vet coming back was possible. On the one hand, it's nice to see old characters back. On the other, did we really need Pichu and Young Link?

Branding the clones "echoes" was pretty smart of Sakurai. I'm super bummed Daisy is in but whatever. She has her fans I guess.

Ridley was hype and surreal despite rumours and leaks.

Redesigned vets are very cool, especially the Zelda crew.

I'm excited, the game looks great. I hope we get a few more newcomers and it'll be interesting to see who else gets in as an echo character.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
A bunch of characters I don't care about, several I hate, and indication that this will be as boring to watch as Sm4sh, unless the directional air dodging includes wavedashing, but even that's not very exciting when there isn't much in the way of combo ability.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
The main reason I was hoping the game would be a semi-port was because I didn't want any of my favorites cut, so I was pretty thrilled to find out everyone is returning, especially Ice Climbers and Wolf. Seeing Lyn as an assist is a bit of a bummer, but at least she's not gone entirely. Certainly wasn't expecting Ridley, and while I'm not a hardcore fan, I am excited for him.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Oh boy, that was crazy. I'll say more tomorrow during satisfaction but a few assorted thoughts for now:

- I'm not too surprised to see that there truly are no cuts, but I didn't expect them to go that far. I have mixed feelings on a few characters returning (particularly Young Link, Pichu, and Trainer) but I admit there's some appeal to seeing literally everyone again. Very, very happy that Ice Climbers, Snake, and Wolf are back.
- Inklings look great, as I expected.
- Daisy meh, not at all someone I wanted, but not a horrible echo/clone choice I suppose.
- I literally would have given Ridley 0.5% in chance if I had been here on his day. I'm so happy to be wrong ahhhh
- Sorry to see Bomberman out of it (and find it a little weird that he's only an assist), but oh well. Still hoping I'll get two out of three from Konami.
- Completely fine with there being so many returning stages and wouldn't be that upset if there were less new stages and somehow nearly every past stage returned. I don't actually expect every single one though lol
- Also fine with less newcomers given that we got everyone back and already have like 10 more characters than the final 4 roster. Expecting like five more new unique ones max, maybe less, and possibly a couple of more echoes. Probably no more than 75 characters total including echoes.
- Definitely going to adjust a lot of my chance scores down now, although there are a few that I feel have been helped based on what I'm currently thinking.
- Game in general looks really great.

Ok that was more than I expected to type but whatever, super hyped for Ultimate now!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I got my English Marth, so I'm happy.

Poor Waluigi though. His was the only disconfirmation that truly stung. Happy Arcade Bunny got to be an Assist though, since being playable was a long shot. Badge Arcade was great while it lasted.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Biggest stings thus far for me are Krystal, Midna, and Waluigi all being deconfirmed as Assist Trophies.

Happy I got Wolf back, though. Even if his pose isn't the greatest.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm feeling somewhat underwhelmed by everything. Smash is cool looking, but it's so much old and a little too similar to Smash 4. There's good stuff, but overall I just feel very lukewarm about Smash and even worse about the Direct as a whole. Meh.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Imma just quietly take Takamaru, Midna, and Eevee off my roster ooops. Kinda sucks seeing them so criminally underutilized

But yea, loved this. Ridley’s been deserved a spot and I’ll play Daisy as long as she’s as obnoxious as possible. Love her sm

The momentum is weird but good weird imo. Cancelling dashes with smashes sounds cool too. Wonder if that means I’ll be changing my c stick back from tilts to smashes

Interesting to not see Ashley, Isabelle, Ghirahim, or Skull Kid anywhere

I don’t think Cpt Toad was hurt, right?

D

Deleted member

Some thoughts:
  • No, Shulk is not getting replaced by Rex.
  • BotW Link is pretty much how I expected and wanted him to be; not a complete revamp, but some minor changes to his moveset. I always thought the Remote Bomb in particular was a cool idea. Some of the other characters' changes also look neat, like Shulk's streamlined Monado Arts system.
  • ALBW Zelda and Ganondorf being reverted to his OoT design were pleasant surprises. Also, Sheik wears Link's Sheikah outfit from BotW, which I actually prefer over the TP-esque design from Brawl and Smash 4.
  • Young Link returning was an odd surprise. Hope they give him a certain Final Smash. *Looks at avatar*
  • Speaking which, I was shocked they brought ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE back, including...
  • "SSSNNNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" That was my exact reaction to his return. And David Hayter is returning to voice him, which is nice.
  • Speaking of Konami, I don't feel as pessimistic towards a certain whip-wielding vampire hunter's chances as I once did. Still, I don't think he's guaranteed either. Also, cool that Bomberman was acknowledged in some form.
  • Marth finally speaks English! HOORAY!!!!
  • Lastly, Sakurai did it. That madman made Ridley playable. And he looks awesome.

Roberk

Smash Champion
  • I'm REALLY hyped for Pokemon Trainer. The only thing that could've made it better is making the alts actual model swaps for the different regions' trainers. I saw some palette swaps representing other incarnations of Pokemon Trainers, but I wanted a bit more for essentially an avatar character.
  • All veterans? Ehh, it's really cool, but it has me worried. It immortalizes some characters that I feel should've been passed over. Also, fewer newcomers, sad! Stuff like Snake and Wolf are solid picks to bring back, Pichu and Young Link are more like "seriously?".
  • My casual friend who has never owned a Smash game was extremely disappointed that Midna didn't make it. It was the one thing he wanted since he wasn't at all involved in Smash to somewhat know what to expect. He said it ruined the Smash reveal for him when Midna was disconfirmed, I feel pretty bad for him tbh. Ignorance is also a curse when it comes to realistic expectations.
  • Path of Radiance Ike and Radiant Dawn Ike? Hell yeah, now that's catering to fans. Also, Greg Chun as Ike's VA. Hnnngggg.
  • English Marth with Yuri Lowenthal? YESSS! Also, love Marth's new shampoo, that is some fine hair.
  • Roy, Dr. Mario, and everyone not Lucina/Dark Pit are officially confirmed not clones. Interesting.
  • Get those Landmasters outta here.
  • Ocarina of Time Ganondorf? With Ike's sword Smashes? Hell yeah.
  • Interested to see Zelda gameplay in these next few days, disappointed that BOTW wasn't an alt. ALBW Zelda is great too though.
  • The gauges shown were pretty neat and seem to be useful, but they are inconsistent. FLUDD should have a gauge. While R.O.B. got a gauge on his model, he should also have one near his portrait for consistency and clarity.
  • Love the new effects during 1v1s with the cutscene. Feels like everybody can be Little Mac (in a good way with the satisfaction of the K.O. Punch). It makes the game much more hype.
  • I haven't seen anybody catch this, but a lot of the effects of the Final Smashes and Victory Animations look like 3DS FE crits with the flash of the shaking face portrait and Persona 5's background flair. Sakurai really loves those things, so I guess those games really influenced him.
  • The main theme is hype. Been listening to it nonstop. Hopefully, the music in this game isn't butchered to 2-minute loops like in Smash 4.
  • Pretty satisfied with the new physics and mechanics so far. Higher gravity, directional air dodging, faster and just more offensive in general.

There's probably a ton more to say, but I'll end it here for now.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
While it is disappointing to see Krystal as an AT, it's more than she was featured in the past 2 games, and I am thinking of it as a temporary setback, and will use it as motivation to push even harderfor Krystal to be playable in the next Smash Bros game. Persistence does pay off, just ask the Ridley fans, who have been pushing for him to be playable since the days of Melee. This may also help her chances of being playable in the next Smash in a few ways ways.
1). It shows that Nintendo hasn't forgotten about her and isn't going to throw her out

2). It shows off what could be a cool unique moveset she could have as a playable fighter

3). If we get another Smash Bros (very likely), the field of potential newcomers won't be as deep, due to the fact that by far the biggest request finally made it in

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Things I was right about:
  • Takamaru not playable
  • Krystal not playable
  • Shulk returning
  • Minda not playable
  • Dark Pit not being decloned
  • Bomberman not playable
  • Mewtwo returning
  • Greninja returning
  • Lucas returning
Things I was wrong about:
  • Snake returning
  • Squirtle returning
  • Ivysaur returning
  • Dark Pit returning
  • Lucina returning
  • Corrin returning
  • Pichu returning
  • Young Link returning
  • No cuts
  • Daisy not playable
  • Marth's English voice (I still absolutely hate it)
  • Waluigi playable (whyyyyyyy)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
To start out, Oh, my gosh. I did not see anything that was revealed at E3 coming.
  • EVERYONE IS BACK. I love that everyone who was cut before has returned to the fray, especially Snake (my most wanted cut veteran and second most wanted character overall). The fact that no one was cut from Smash 4 was also pretty exciting.
  • I am very disappointed that Waluigi (my most wanted potential newcomer and most wanted overall) and Bomberman (a highly requested third party rep) both ended up being assist trophies. Oh, well. At least there is a chance for them as DLC. (?)
  • Daisy caught me off guard as the first newcomer reveal (besides Inkling). I'm not surprised she ended up being an Echo Fighter of Peach, though.
  • Echo Fighters in general is a neat way to acknowledge the existence of clones and bring them into the Smash canon.
  • I like the new Battlefield versions of every stage and all of the new details about competitive techniques. I look forward to seeing the new Smash in a competitive field.
  • I'm hoping that Ganondorf is more decloned than just using his sword for his smash attacks. That may be a bit too much to ask seeing as he is basically known for his moveset from Melee to Smash 4. I'll take the fact that he actually uses his sword now, though.
  • I like the new take on Final Smashes. They are short, powerful, and impactful. So far, nearly every Final Smash I have seen works quite well for their user. (Not sure about Ultra Sword for Kirby, though.)
  • Marth speaking English sounds as weird as I thought I would when I speculated about on that day we had that here. I am sort of hoping there is an option for him to speak Japanese as well.
  • More damage in 1v1? Borders that close in during Sudden Death? Yes, please!
  • The new UI with character-specific meters or icons is awesome. Also, percentages with decimals to the tenths place is cool, too.
  • Sakurai actually found a way to make Ridley work despite his size. Sometimes, I am happy to be wrong.
  • Overall, this game looks absolutely beautiful.
  • The new theme song is immaculate.
  • I'm glad the name didn't end up being just Super Smash Bros. like I expected it to be. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate sounds awesome.
  • I really want a Switch now.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
  • Takamaru not playable
  • Waluigi playable (whyyyyyyy)
Well I could find enjoyment in the fact that the character you supported that I didn't want is deconfirmed I'll instead wish you luck for getting him next time. So here's to both our characters escaping AT purgatory next game mate.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, so I managed to get some sleep - not much, too excited - so I can organize my thoughts:
  • Ridley. Holy **** Ridley. That model is so ugly in such a wonderful way. I really see the Xenomorph influence. I did promise you guys a gif for this:
  • ALL the vets returning. All of them. Even Squirtle. I can't stop smiling that the avengers have reassembled.
  • All of the Zelda characters referencing a different game. Link's changed a bit more than I'd have liked, but I can handle it and I'll still main him. Plus I still have Young Link to fall back on if I want the southpaw back. Still excited to see what they pull out for his Final smash, and hoping it includes the Fierce Deity. Also RIP to getting a nice mane for the Dorf, but he's got a sword for smashes?! Yes!
  • Holy Returning Stages, Batman! So excited to see this.
  • New amiibo for everyone? My wallet is not ready to buy 65+ new ones, but...
  • Are those minimalist icons the final versions? Also some hair textures could use polishing. Not sure how I feel about it. Eh, nitpicking...
  • Few newcomers = not a problem. DLC hopefully is also still a thing.
All in all, I've hit my threshold of "This game will be perfect whatever else they throw at me"

I can't wait to rerate some characters and go on from here. Gotta say, though - I can't reasonably rate most characters above 10% anymore. I honestly think most characters have been overrated.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
'Ultimate Roster', no cuts and all veterans returning: I'll gladly admit here that I was wrong, and I'm very happy for that to be the case. Everyone's favorite character has returned, from very beloved ones like Snake to lesser ones like Pichu. It will be a great experience to be able to play with everyone that has existed across Smash's history, and for me personally, I'm glad to have Wolf (looking smug as ever) and Squirtle back. I will admit the condition of losing a few newcomers is a bit disappointing, but for me it's a fair tradeoff to have those old favorites back, even though I understand others who are disappointed with that direction.

Newcomers: I can't express how happy I am Ridley is finally playable. I'll give full thoughts on him tomorrow, but just going by first impressions Sakurai did a great job representing him in the game. From his design (as mentioned before, the Xenomorph motif was a great direction) to how he plays, he's exactly what I was looking for with the character and I'm so happy to see him. As for Daisy, I don't have as much attachment to her, but I'm glad that her fans got to see her playable in the game as well.

Veteran changes: For the most part, they're completely welcome. Design-wise, I love what they did with Zelda and Ganondorf, their ALBW and OoT designs I feel give them a lot more personality then their TP ones allowed them to have (especially Zelda), and the cheeriness that Zelda's touch-up brings is very charming. I also like how Ganondorf's Ganon form not only draws from OoT's design, it also references the climatic battle by having the background change to a dark setting with lightning. Wolf also had a good update, his design and animations do a good job representing the character, especially with that smug smile he has at some points. Finally, I'm glad Leaf got recognition as an alt for PT, though I wish she had a Hilda costume.

Moveset-wise, the little tweaks are great. Things like Dedede being able to spit out Gordos, Samus being able to charge her beam in midair, and Link getting remote bombs are nice touches that not only add to their characters, but also give them different options to play around with in gameplay. It makes going back to play these veterans more interesting since there may be elements to them that we have to re-explore, and that's also part of the fun in learning and enjoying these characters.

Overall, I'm happy with the direction the game is going in. I will miss not having as many newcomers as before, but the ability to be able to play as any favorite from across the franchise's history I feel will be worth it. Additionally, the newcomers we did get were exciting and the gameplay changes look promising. It does look like a game that will live up to its title of 'ultimate', and I can't wait to get my hands on it in December.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm very excited about the direction they're taking with the new Smash. I'm happy that they're focusing more on fan demand this time around. I always felt that Smash for Wii U and 3DS leaned a little too much on the whole marketing tie in stuff for other games, but Super Smash Ultimate feels to me like the pipe dream becoming a reality for many Smash fans. I was very satisfied with what they showed off.

First of all, I did not expect them to bring every character back. I couldn't believe it when I saw Snake in the montage. I feel like Sakurai really out did himself this time. I think this approach is very interesting and a smart move to market this Smash title. I'm happy to see Pichu back because I enjoyed playing him when I was a kid and now I can beat all my friends with arguably the worst character on the roster, and Young Link was a pleasant surprise. It doesn't bother me at all that Young Link returned just as long as Toon Link is still here as well, which of course he is. Ice Climbers were always set to return in my mind, so no surprise there. Pokemon Trainer on the other hand really surprised me, and I'm happy to see what they've done with the character. Very happy for Wolf fans too. And the theme song they played during the montage is fantastic.

Out of everything I think I was anticipating seeing the Inklings in action the most. I love Splatoon 2. I have clocked in over 600 hours in that game and got the original game when it came out, so Inklings were always a character I was super excited to see join the roster. One of the alternate colors is even the exact coloration of the skin, eyes, and my favorite ink color of the Inkling I use in Splatoon 2. What are the odds? Definitely maining that alt. Speaking of which I got my prediction right when I said the alts were going to be based off of Splatoon 1 only. Just sort of had a feeling. I'm satisfied with how they play, and they seem super faithful to their game. I just hope they have a bit more combo potential than what I saw of them.

Another thing I'm very happy about is the amount of stages shown off and revealed through footage and snapshots. One thing I was hoping for were a lot of stages in this new Smash because more stages means more gameplay variety. Not to mention more music hopefully. Funny thing is that my favorite stage was one of the few that wasn't seen (Pirate Ship). I'm not too worried though since it looks like they're bringing back almost every stage possible, and I figure if they were willing to go through the trouble of bringing back Pirate Ship as DLC for the Wii U Smash they must think it's fan favorite enough to bring back in Smash Ultimate. Even if it doesn't come back they brought back plenty of stages that I love. I totally wasn't expecting Spirit Train to be one of the stages that made the jump from the 3DS version of Smash to this version, but I'm so happy that it did. It was my favorite stage from that version of Smash.

I'm generally in favor of all the tweaks they've made to the game, and hopefully those tweaks will prove to make the game much more fun to play and watch. Seems like they're doing a good job satisfying both competitive and casual players even more-so this time. I have no idea how they're going to balance this game though with so many characters. I'm expecting at least 70 playable characters by the time this is done.

Speaking of characters, they really went all out on displaying what changes they've made to how each character functions this time around whether it's a big change or a small change. I think what they did with the Zelda cast is pretty cool. I was also right about predicting 3 different playable Links, but I was wrong in how I thought they were going to do it since I didn't think Young Link was returning. I think it's cool how Link is mainly his Breath of the Wild appearance with a more classic alt as well. I was iffy on Zelda being based on her ALBW appearance, but I quickly warmed up to the change. She has way more expression and an energetic vibe now. Sheik's design is a change that I like since I never really cared for her TP-esque design and much preferred her OoT look. Ganondorf going back to his OoT design is pretty neat, and he even uses his sword now! Young Link looks like he's taking over Link's old move-set, and it seems that Toon Link has a new Forward Smash to help differentiate them a bit more. Looking forward to seeing what else they've done with these characters.

So I like how they coined a new term for clone characters by calling them Echo Fighters. Happy for Daisy fans that she gets to appear as a playable character even if she's very similar to Peach. Hopefully this means we'll see another 1 or 2 Echo Fighters by the time the game comes out. More playable characters can't be a bad thing in my mind. And of course they dropped the bomb shell at the end of the Direct with the confirmation of Ridley being playable. That's pretty neat that Sakurai finally figured out how to make him work. I've never been a Ridley fan, but I know how much he means to the Smash community and I respect that. So I'm happy he made it in, and I hope he's everything you guys wanted him to be.

This really does feel like a Smash tribute game made for the fans, which is something I've always wanted Smash to be. Everything they showed off felt right to me, and I'm even more hyped than I thought I'd be. I always figured they'd use the Ballot to add some fan-favorite surprises into the next Smash, and so far it seems like that might be exactly what they're doing. Bomberman and Krystal as Assist Trophies help back that idea up since they were probably at least considered for playable characters before development started. At this point I sort of expect King K. Rool to make the cut along with Dixie Kong as an Echo Fighter. We'll soon see what other surprises Sakurai has up his sleeve for the fans I hope! Can't wait for December 7th.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Things that got me excited:
  • Toad. Okay, it's NOT exactly what I wanted but HOLY CRAP LOOK SAKURAI IS TREATING HIM WITH A LITTLE RESPECT:

"Try me you little *****"
    and adding him to Peach's throws makes me considerably less salty that one of the most iconic characters in ALL of Nintendo video games was reduced to one stinking move. He's actively fighting and trying to protect the Princesses rather than being held hostage.

As far as I'm concerned Peach is now a grappler and counter based character nearly exclusively. :3
  • Daisy. No joke, I am more excited to play as Daisy than I am to play as the Inklings or Ridley. I never saw it coming, but the fact she too comes with Blue Toad makes me excited to play with her. She was always my favourite of the Mario Princesses so this works.
  • Ridley, dur. He's finally in, I'm happy for his fans, he looks fun to play as if not a little difficult. Definitely want to try him out.
  • ABRA POKEBALL? HOLY CRAP THAT'S MY FAVOURITE POKEMON AND HERE HE IS TELEPORTING FOOLS TO DEATH/
  • Talking of Pokemon; SQUIRTLE, IVYSAUR AND PICHU! LITERALLY THE ONLY POKEMON IN SMASH I ACTUALLY LIKED. ALL BACK!
  • Wolf's new look is gorgeous
  • Dedede, Bowser and ESPECIALLY DK's new Final Smashes are amazing
  • Assist Trophy KO's are cool and add an element of danger to using them.
  • Mario's alts
  • Female trainer
  • Female Pikachu alts
  • Saffron City returns!
  • New Donk City stage
  • Ness and Lucas's party members appearing in the FS made me smile.

Stuff I was disappointed in:

• No reveal of Yoshi's new FS
  • Alph didn't get the Echoes treatment
  • Ridley's model is kind of ugly compared to his Brawl one(pretty minor)
  • Some of the models look a little less appealing colour wise than previously to my naked eye; Bowser and Pac-Man in particular don't seem as brightly coloured.
  • Yoshi and Luigi being left to the last minute AFTER the trailer's ending credit. Literally my two favourite veterans. YOU MADE ME FREAK FOR A SEC SAKURAI.
  • Meowth is still a measly Pokeball Pokemon. He deserves better honestly.
  • Young Link not really having ANY changes from my first feeling. Felt a bit underwhelming
  • Bomberman being an assist. Watching him run around made me realise exactly how fun he would have been as playable. He also confirms that third parties can JUST be assists now.
Other thoughts:
  • Probably the only one who predicted it but Takamaru is still an assist trophy.
  • Mii Fighters didn't wow me as much as they did last time. Now they feel a bit stale.
  • Inklings are really fun but weirdly I'm not as excited for them as I'd hoped? Am I broken?
  • Knuckles assist? That's neat.
  • Bewear as a Pokeball Pokemon is excellent
  • I realised I still don't like a majority of the playable characters as I could tell who I was excited to see back(Pokemon Trainer, Pichu, Wolf, Roy) to who I wasn't(Snake, Ice Climbers, Young Link, Dr. Mario, Lucas) with even Mewtwo, Greninja and Lucario's returns only getting a shrug out of me.
  • Ike gets both looks? Kinda neat but I can't get too excited over that vocal change for the costumes. Barely noticable to me.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I wonder if we'll get daily or weekly updates on the game. The site does have a blog section.

Also the amount of stages is absolutely absurd. I love it. But I am a tad concerned about how many new stages we get. I can understand franchises like Punch-Out, Wii Fit and the retros not getting new stages but I hope most others do.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
  • Extremely Happy that Ridley finally made it in
  • It's nice that all the veterans are back even if I don't particularly care about some of them
  • Marth finally speaking English after 17 years (minor detail but it always bothered me)
  • Most of the previous stages returning even if it means we still have to deal with garbage like 75m

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Holy bejeezus that was amazing! We went from having next to no information about the game to having a massive blowout that I still can't quite process.

• Having every character back is obviously amazing. Even character like Young Link and Pichu are returning, this really does feel like the Ultimate version of Smash Brothers.
  • RIDLEY!!!! AAHHHHHH!!!!!
  • Some of the disconfirmations stung a little bit. Having Waluigi as an AT but Daisy playable in particular. Ah well, maybe someday...
  • Setting aside a distinction for "Echo Fighters" makes me believe that we're going to get many more of them, and that's how they're going to make up for not having as many newcomers.
  • RIDLEY!!!! I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!
  • Having a website to spend hours looking through is a godsend. There's even a music section!

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
(don’t know if it’s been said here, but no Dark Samus palette for Samus, no assist trophy sighting as of yet, and no MP4 gameplay. Could all be pointing to a grea Direct)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I was wrong about Young Link and Pokemon Trainer. I never thought they'd return. Pichu I did believe was a possibility due to being a clone.

What I liked:

-Everyone returning. The Everyone is Here trailer was beyond hype.
-A lot of classic stages returning and retouched.
(I think both of these happened due to fan demand in the ballot and not having much inspiration from the previous generation for stages respectively. We'll undoubtedly get a number of new stages. Remain positive! Either way, stages that haven't appeared in 20-15 years should be treated as fresh enough anyway)
-Ridley and his perfect trailer.
-Directional air dodging, wave landing (needs buffing though), punishable rolls, faster pace, better ledge mechanics - that is an improvement on Smash 4.
-The visuals are incredible.

What I disliked:

-Some mechanics such as shields still being somewhat too good. Survivability still seems too high.
-Bayonetta's BnB still present.

Surprised that a lot of people seem so down. We're getting the ultimate Smash experience with new stuff on the horizon for the next 6 months and the inevitable DLC cycle that will focus on newcomers and new content. Also, this is not a port or the same as Smash 4 - inspired by it no doubt, but noticeably changed so much that calling it an enhanced port is a disservice to the work put into this.

Edit: On a side nte, Ghiraham's been spotted as an AT. He is disconfirmed.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
That leaves the Majora's Mask duo as the only unconfirmed Zelda assist trophies.

I'm feeling very pessimistic on everyone's chance. With minimal space for newcomers, I'm probably going to be giving much lower scores

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Can someone tell me the Top 10 of Want again? The images seem to be gone.

Top Bottom