• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Genie Indie Lady of the Dance (I can't think of anything good okay)

Chance: Since I'm of the camp that believe Spirits are disconfirmations until proven otherwise in a decisive manner (i.e. a Spirit gets in), that's not good for poor, poor Shantae. I give her a 10% chance, because I don't think she'll be the one to break the Spirit barrier even in that event.

Want: 40%, I don't really have much attachment to Shantae really. However, her thread is large, and if nothing else, her fans deserve proper closure. I just have more selfish desires out of the roster, but I can see why she'd be popular and have nothing against her.

Nominations: Arle Nadja x 5. Crash Bandicoot, if predictions are still a thing, will have 60% Chance.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Shantae
Chance: 20%
With all that has happened, the odds are certainly not in her favor. One of the big allures behind her before was Wayforwards behaviour when it came to Smash, which of course ended up being for Spirits mode. However...
Despite her only being a spirit, she still received an icon for her appearance, being the last of 5 "unaffiliated" icons that appeared at the end of the list. That certainly makes me feel that Nintendo and the Smash team recognize her history and prominence. It also does not hurt that her arch enemy, Risky Boots, apparently makes an appearance as a spirit as well.
Want: 100%
One of my most wanted, I would love to see her as a playable fighter eventually. I am happy with what she has gotten though, especially with her spirit being featured in the WoL trailer and reaping the natural benefits of that. More so than many others in fact.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Shantae

Chance: 3%
Based on the wording of WayForward and Shantae co-creator Matt Bozon’s tweets following the Shantae spirit reveal (saying things like they’re proud Shantae has finally made it into Smash), it seems we’ll only be getting Shantae representation in the form of spirits and nothing more. A few days before it was confirmed that the DLC was finalized, Matt Bozon was pushing out some tweets to still get Shantae into Smash as a playable character. Based on that, I think it’s safe to say that there were no plans for her to be playable at the time (and I highly doubt they reached an agreement with Nintendo within those few days). Even when ignoring my previous point, I just can’t see an indie character becoming playable unless they are on Ridley levels of requested or are incredibly well-known to the general public.

I know I always trash on Shantae in regards to her chances but I love the Shantae games and feel that she would be perfect for Smash. Like Banjo, Shantae is one of those characters that would fit into Smash so well you'd probably forget that they are from a third-party company. Her inclusion also means they have an excuse to add the Shantae series' amazing music into Smash.
Also we'd be one step closer to adding Patricia Wagon into Smash.

Crash chance prediction: 23.95%

Nominations: Kat & Ana x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I’d Still Rather Have Urbosa

Chance: 5%
Want: 0%

I'm still on the "Being a spirit is definitely not a good sign for this DLC set" train.

I feel like we're hitting a lot of indies, and I really don't feel like repeating myself over and over. For reference, see my previous posts for the last two.

Otherwise, she's just always been one of those characters who's rubbed me the wrong way, and I tend to dread the days she comes up in RTC since those are the days we usually get a load of first-time voters coming in, giving a hugely biased score, and then arguments tend to ensue. Yeah, that's not the character it's the fanbase, but it is something I always think of whenever she comes up in conversation.

In terms of a moveset, people tend to eschew transformations (unfortunate, since Zelda/Shiek was always great and I'm beyond hype for the trainer), and Dixie is Nintendo's own hair fighter, so she is overshadowed a lot in that realm. And if we get someone dressed like that, just give me a Gerudo in the first place since Zelda is hurting for unique characters.

I think the spirit is a great place for her as she is recognized in game. We're good.

Nom: More DLC x5

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Shantae

Chances-0%
Her spirit, her indie status, and generally just not being as big as other highly requested characters make her dead in the water for me.

Want-75%
Never played her games but I think her fighting style could be one of the most bombastic and fun. I really like those interesting characters and having another series, especially an indie game to represent in one of the biggest fighting games of all time make me want to support her. I do hope she gets her chance to shine one day, even if I've never really played much of her games and don't really know her that well.

Nomination Station: 5x Another Joke/WTF Character (Like Piranha Plant) 5x

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Shantae

With Shantae as a Spirit, I think it's safe to say that she will not be playable as DLC for now, even though I still believe Spirits don't deconfirm characters. I just don't think any Indie characters would be playable in Ultimate, maybe in the next Smash game they will, but I don't think Shantae has anything to go for this time around.

Want: Abstain
I don't know much about Shantae, so I abstain on want.

Nominations:
Nero Claudius (Fate) x5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Shantae

Chance: 3%
WayForward has broken their mysterious silence since her reveal as a Spirit, and seeing how they seem to be campaigning to get her in as DLC, it's safe to assume there aren't any further plans for Shantae as far as Smash. It could happen in the case of a hypothetical Wave 2, but I'm not holding my breath for that anyway. Besides, if the best Shovel Knight got was an Assist Trophy, my hopes for any indie character are slim.

I really don't know this character enough to care either way.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Jeenie
Since this character is in the game as a spirit I feel the need to say I've been convinced spirits no longer deconfirm fighters!...
Chance: 1%
...for first parties atleast. When it comes to third parties, Sakurai and his team couldn't just casually throw in almost any character they could think of. They had to go out of their way and reach out to those companies to get those third party spirits, likely with no intention of making those characters anything more later on. Now I could be wrong and Wayforward and Ubisoft just gave Sakurai their permission by themselves without him having to ask... but thing is, spirit or no spirit, Shantae isn't making it in anyway.

She's an indie character. Shovel Knight is also an indie character. Shovel Knight, who arguably was the more popular out of the two, got to be an Assist Trophy, so why would Shantae be playable? Sure, she has been around since 2002 and has more ''history with Nintendo'' but in those 16 years she only has had 4 games. The first two basically came and went. The others, while much more succesfull, didn't seem to quite reach the same praise and succes Shovel Knight. The fourth game had to be crowdfunded so that says something.

''History with Nintendo'' doesn't mean much when you've done nothing of much signifigance and have had little impact on the industry. Even Rayman has both somewhat.

Haven't played any Shantae game and I'm not really interested to do so. Neat Metroidvanias but nothing too special. There are also multiple other third-party characters I'd rather see at this point. Finally, some Shantae supporters can be Daisy levels of insane. I know I shouldn't judge a character by their fanbase but they definitely haven't made a good first impression on me. :dizzy:

Crash: 23.57%

CGI DLC trailers x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Shanty (best pun I could come up with and I’m 50% certain I actually didn’t)

The fact that they went out of their way to license her character for a Spirit, when nobody would’ve batted an eye if she were missing, speaks to it being a consolation prize, so I think we won’t see her. Plus what other people have said.

Want: 50%
I don’t care. Played a few of her games, I think I liked them, but I can’t remember a lot. I think she’s not iconic, and that kicks her down a lot of notches. But she has a sizeable fanbase, and I would be happy for them.

However, if somebody right now came and told me she can turn into a frog and a snake, want goes down to 0%, as I won’t have anyone taking the spot of my most wanted.

Nominations: Mach RiderX5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
How are the chance calculations coming along? Every day that we don't get them is another score to be calculated.

Shantae

I've yet to see Nintendo honor a friendly developer with a Smash character yet, and until they do, I still don't see Shantae as having any reasonable chance. There's so many big world-known third-parties to pick from, whereas Shantae is just too much inside the Nintendo circle, a name known partially because there weren't any other indie names on Nintendo platforms to know about.

Want: 1%
If you want to represent indies, you go wide. Get spirits for Freedom Planet, Undertale, World of Goo, bit.trip, Cave Story, etc and etc. Heck, does Mighty Switch Force even have spirits? Indies are more about numerous small projects that do their own thing than they are about consolidating on popular ideas, so I just can't root for Shantae when even indie titan Shovel Knight can only get as far as an Assist Trophy.

Predictions
Crash: 4%

Nominations
Andy x5

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Shantae

Really, the only thing that made me think she might be playable was the evidence suggesting that WayForward was under an NDA (and even with that she wasn't likely). And now it turns out that Shantae is indeed in Smash, but just as a Spirit. I really doubt she'd be DLC at this point; if they're going for ballot characters (her only real shot, and they don't seem to be going for the ballot so far) there's a good number that likely performed better than her and/or don't have the restriction of being an indie third party. Just not too much going for her really right now.

Never had an interest in her or her games, tbh. Not trying to hate or anything, but the third party bar is hard to clear for me, and Shantae's games just aren't notable enough for me to think she needs a spot on the roster.

Noms: Andy (AW) x5

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Shantae

Chance: 0.01%. She's not getting in by a long shot. She's been confirmed as a spirit. And although the Spirit = disconfirmation debate is still ongoing, It's a definitely disconfirmation of 3rd party characters for sure IMO.

Want: ABSTAINED

Nominate All DLC are 3rd Party x5

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Shantae
Chance: 0%
I don’t see her happening because she’s third-party and thus would take extra effort to get into the game, effort that I don’t see the developers willing to take beyond making her anything more than a spirit.
Want: 10%
I would prefer her to many other potential newcomers. She has a unique enough design and ability set that makes her stand out among modern video game characters. She’s not exactly on my most-wanted list. I could honestly just play Crusade if I wanted, I doubt her moveset could be implemented any better in an official Smash game.

Nomination: Arle Nadja x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Shantae:
Chance: 2%
Well, she was at least acknowledged by Sakurai and his team. That's something.
Depends if Spirits deconfirm and/or if third parties will be the focus of DLC, but Shantae has always been a long shot and the fact she's even a spirit is frankly incredible since the only other true third party to make it as a Spirit is Rayman as far as I'm aware without being tacked onto a fighter or assist trophy.

Want: 3%
Neat design, fun potential moveset, but I'm not big on third parties to begin with and Shantae is such a niche franchise I'm not sure why she'd be picked over...well almost any other bigger gaming franchise or iconic video game character with such middling success?

I do think her fanbase is a little... overzealous at times which can be off putting.
Even the most minor coincedence such as the commonly used word 'Ultimate' being uttered by Shantae's dev team is enough to get her supporters frothing at the mouth and insisting it's a hint she's in. For all we know the Spirit could be what Wayforward were hinting at as it's genuinely an incredible thing for a character of Shantae's level of fame to achieve.

Sounds a bit harsh, but I'd take her over most the other indie suggestions that get thrown about...I'd just rather have NO indies at all.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Never had a spirit like me

I'm not quite sure what to make of spirits. I could see an argument that they deconfirm, but I can also see the argument that they're simple PNGs, and therefore aren't deconfirmations. That said, 1st parties certainly have the better odds here. Why go to the hassle of dealing with third party/indie companies again when someone like Dixie Kong, Bandana Waddle Dee, Elma, or Captain Toad can be upgraded without having to re-obtain those rights? Shantae certainly shouldn't be counted out yet, but as far as third parties go for upgrades, I feel Rayman has the better shot.

Part of me really does want to rate Shantae, but I haven't played a Shantae game in my life, so I'll honor fairness here and not put in my two cents. If I were to rate her though... I'd say 50%. I'm very meh, not against her, not for her. Completely neutral.

Predictions: Crash
The Bandicoot who's allegiance tends to go to Playstation. I see him having better odds than Spyro, and both never made PlayStation All Stars ironically enough. Perhaps being skipped by the home field will be what Crash needs to get in Smash? 14%

Nom: Professor Hector x5

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Shantae

3rd party in as a spirit probably is about as deconfirming as it gets.

Want: 10%
I know literally nothing about her, I guess hair whip sounds kinda cool I guess? Others would be better.

Predictions
Crash: 10%

Nominations
Ravio x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Shantae

All that hype WayForward made during the ballot and all Shantae got out of it was a spirit. She likely would've been ignored if the votes didn't catch Nintendo's eye. What "history with Nintendo" is there to speak of when it all seems to amount to WayForward putting Shantae games on Nintendo consoles and Nintendo giving the Seal of Approval.

What good is being around for 16 years when you’ve done nothing to influence the genre in any meaningful way. Shantae's first game bombed so hard, she fell to obscurity for 8 years. Being around since the Gameboy Color isn't something to be proud of when your game came out one year after the release of the Gameboy Advance. She may have four games to her name, but neither one has made her into an icon whereas Shovel Knight's one game did. Shovel Knight actually has "history with Nintendo." Nintendo published the game in Japan and even worked out a deal to produce amiibo of Shovel Knight and the three DLC knights.

WayForward rallying Shantae during the ballot, and people going around chanting "she's got strong history with Nintendo" reminds of that kid in schoolyard games yelling "PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME!" as the captains are selecting their teammates.

Boss Rush x5

NukeA6

Smash Master
I never got to do any of these. Might as well start here.

Shantae

-Let's face it; more deserving characters got AT'd and she didn't even get that despite Matt Bozon wanting her in the game. And no, Shovel Knight doesn't affect her chances at all. The guy is strictly multiplatform whereas Shantae has actual history with Nintendo and still has a game that's Nintendo exclusive.

Want: 85%
-I voted for her three times so of course I want her. If Sakurai can somehow make her belly dance transformations work, she would be among the most unique characters ever to appear in Smash Bros and even without it, she would be the better hair fighter since she has plenty to work without become an echo or Luigi-type. It's worth mentioning that her inclusion would shut up all her petty haters and many of the worst Smash Bros fans.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Shanty (best pun I could come up with and I’m 50% certain I actually didn’t)

The fact that they went out of their way to license her character for a Spirit, when nobody would’ve batted an eye if she were missing, speaks to it being a consolation prize, so I think we won’t see her. Plus what other people have said.

Want: 50%
I don’t care. Played a few of her games, I think I liked them, but I can’t remember a lot. I think she’s not iconic, and that kicks her down a lot of notches. But she has a sizeable fanbase, and I would be happy for them.

However, if somebody right now came and told me she can turn into a frog and a snake, want goes down to 0%, as I won’t have anyone taking the spot of my most wanted.

Nominations: Mach RiderX5
Good news she doesn't transform into a snake or frog :)

Shantae.

CHance: 20%

She and Shovel Knight are the only 2 indies that are spirits, which means they are on Nintendo's radar. Shovel knight is an AT so I feel that hurts his chances more then a spirit does. Shantae also has 2 spirits in the game supposidly, Herself and Risky Boots. This shows Nintendo cared enough about the series to get more then 1.

That being said, I think she has the best shot of any indie character, but its still a long road. I am not sure if she will be in this round of DLC, but I am sure she has a higher chance for other DLC rounds(because lets face it, nintendo would be insane not to keep making DLC for this game for years)

I do have bias though, and thats why she is as high as that. It's not the best chances for her, but I think she still has a decent chance, unlike a lot of the scores here haha.

She is by far my most wanted character in this game. Love her games, love her design, love her moveset possibility, love her personality. That she is only a spirit is not bad, I am very happy she has some representation in the game, and I hope one day she gets more :D Just the detail on her spirit fight is crazy too.

Nom: Pyra and Mythra without Rex x5

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Shantae:

Chance: 15%

Now, I hope I'm not being to biased here, with Shantae being my most wanted character (besides the obvious, of course :p), and all, but I still think she does have a chance, albeit, not the best one. :/

Want: 98%

Yeah, I really want Shantae! Her games are great, some of the best Metroidvania's out there. They're also filled with charm and personality, and unique, and fun characters. :)

Noms: Neptune x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Good news she doesn't transform into a snake or frog :)

Shantae.

CHance: 20%

She and Shovel Knight are the only 2 indies that are spirits, which means they are on Nintendo's radar. Shovel knight is an AT so I feel that hurts his chances more then a spirit does. Shantae also has 2 spirits in the game supposidly, Herself and Risky Boots. This shows Nintendo cared enough about the series to get more then 1.

That being said, I think she has the best shot of any indie character, but its still a long road. I am not sure if she will be in this round of DLC, but I am sure she has a higher chance for other DLC rounds(because lets face it, nintendo would be insane not to keep making DLC for this game for years)

I do have bias though, and thats why she is as high as that. It's not the best chances for her, but I think she still has a decent chance, unlike a lot of the scores here haha.

She is by far my most wanted character in this game. Love her games, love her design, love her moveset possibility, love her personality. That she is only a spirit is not bad, I am very happy she has some representation in the game, and I hope one day she gets more :D Just the detail on her spirit fight is crazy too.

Nom: Pyra and Mythra without Rex x5
Thank goodness.

Nominations will be up soon, probably in this very post to avoid double posting.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Chance: Abstain.

Want: 45%
I'd much rather have first party characters, but more girls is always a good thing in my book. (Especially when they're this cute.)

Nominating Rhythm Girl x5

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
NOT DIXIE KONG
Chance: 15%
Want: 75%
Her confirmation as spirit definitely decreased her chances, but hasn't deconfirmed her yet. All of the random references and hints, only to lead to a spirit was kind of confusing to be honest. She still has a chance, but it's extremely slim, and most likely won't happen. I have yet to play one of her games, but they look fun and Shantae would be a really fun and interesting fighter. She can also transform into many different animals to do certain jobs she wouldn't be able to do in human form, which would be really cool.

Predictions: Crash Bandicoot 35%

Nominations: Reaper x5

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Shantae:

Chance - 3%

If an indie character would happen it wouldn't be her sorry, Steve and Shovel Knight would probably be the contenders and one of them is an AT while Shantae is a mere spirit. Also, I just don't see it happening ever really.

Want- Abstain

Never played a Shantae game.

Nominations: Rhythm Girl x5

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Shantae: 0%. If we can't get Shovel Knight, we definitely can't get Shantae. I haven't seen a single convincing argument for her inclusion, and I doubt Sakurai has either. And besides, as long as WayForward continues to push for her inclusion, they're never going to add her. That's not what they do.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Abstaining on Shantae/Gerudo Girl.

I haven't played her games and she doesn't interest me much, although her transformations and such could make for a nice moveset. I liked playing a few matches with her in the Smash Bros. Crusade fangame.

Nominations:

Creeper x3
Porky Minch x2

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Shantae: From Half-Genie Hero to Half-Genie Zero:

Chance: 0.001%: Yeah, I think she's even less likely than Rex, and maybe even Shrek and Goku. Let's go over all of the evidence against her:

1: (The obvious) She's a spirit, which does deconfirm her.

2: WF talked about wanting her in as one of the DLC fighters, implying that she wasn't already chosen for DLC, since they'd need to be under an NDA, which was the only thing Shantae had going for her for the base game.

3: Considering how she keeps appearing as a spirit in the promotional content, it looks like she's the Waluigi of Spirits, so no promotion for her anytime soon.

4: There are many more likely indie reps. Sans, Travis, Steve (who's pretty much already confirmed) and even Shovel Knight are way more well-known, and more important to Nintendo (financially). With even one of these characters in the game, Nintendo would see no reason to add a second indie rep, not only for that game/DLC, but probably the next one, too.

5: Nintendo ignoring the fans moreso than usual: The only Fan-Favorites we've gotten were Inkling, Ridley and King K. Rool. All three of these fighters were either financial assets to Nintendo (Inkling) or the tip-top of the fighter ballot (Ridley and K. Rool). Everyone who wasn't those 3 was shafted for an Assist Trophy or a Sticker. Top contenders like Isaac, Waluigi, Skull Kid, Krystal, Lyn, Bomberman, Spring Man, Rex, and even Shovel Knight were written off as unworthy, and Shantae was so much of an afterthought that all they gave her was a sticker. So with so little for the fans, the DLC is not likely to get anyone for the fans. Even if there is one or two characters, they're probably not going to pick her.

6: She's unpopular. How many of you have heard of her before Smash? Not many. Enough said.

NEW: 7: People Hate her. Steve's been beating her on fan polls left and right, and only one or two people here (including me) have given her anything higher than a 20% on want score.

In the end, Shantae's place in Smash looks like it is and always will be a PNG file that wasn't even made for this game.

Want: 999% (If that's not allowed, then 100%.): And. It. Sucks. She, unlike the other indie competitors I mentioned, would represent the smaller side of indie games well. In addition to that, she has more moveset potential (thanks to her transformations, magic and pirate gear), and more personality (all her game's dialogue is like something out of KIU) than any of the other indie competitors. That and it would have just been the perfect rags-to-riches story with a Smash Bros Fan's work getting enough support to actually be in Smash.

I really consider her down for the count. and the next one. and the one after that. and maybe even the one after that. and you get the idea. Basically, Shantae's a lost cause, and anyone who's supporting her should just come to terms with her being a PNG file and move on.

Nomination: No Fan Favorites x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sorry, this took me a while. Had to read some spoilers to count sentences, so RIP me.

200 - 151

Arle Nadja x190

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x130
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x120

100 - 51

Kat & Ana x95
Nero Claudius (Fate) x95
Grovyle x90
Boss: Kracko x85
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x85
Concept: More DLC x85
Concept: CGI trailers for newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x82
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x80
Mach Rider x80
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x75
Reaper (Overwatch) x75
Professor Hector x69
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x65
Impa x57

50 - 25

Reimu Hakurei x50
Hollow Knight x40
Papyrus x35
9-Volt x34
Creeper x26
Concept: All DLC will be first-party x25
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x25
Thrall (Warcraft) x25

Under 25

Concept: Boss Rush x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Boss: Perfect Chaos x15
Ninten x15
Andy (Advance Wars) x15
Frisk x10
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x10
Decidueye x10
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Sephiroth x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Porky Minch x3

Concept: All DLC will be third-party crosses 100 noms.

Impa sneaks past 50 nominations. UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin you got your wish, hope it was worth it.

Creeper blasts past the under 25 group.

Joining the list today are Porky Minch with 3 noms and Sephiroth with 10.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
shantae

Chance: 20 - Feel like giving her a spirit is throwing her a bone the same way giving shovel knight an assist trophy was. That, and I dont think that being a spirit is a good sign, especially as a 3rd party character.

Want: 10 - Not sure I'm all that interested in seeing indie characters in the game. If we're going to include 3rd party characters I'd prefer them to be ones that would get smash some buzz.

Noms
Gen 8 Pokemon x 5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
A much safer concept to vote on would've been whether Third Parties or First Parties would make up the majority of the Fighter pass. At least either concept would not die right away when the first two characters are revealed.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Sorry, this took me a while. Had to read some spoilers to count sentences, so RIP me.

200 - 151

Arle Nadja x190

150 - 101

Rhythm Girl x130
Concept: All DLC will be third-party x120

100 - 51

Kat & Ana x95
Nero Claudius (Fate) x95
Grovyle x90
Boss: Kracko x85
Concept: Stages outside Fighter Pass x85
Concept: More DLC x85
Concept: CGI trailers for newcomers (barring Piranha Plant) x82
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon x80
Mach Rider x80
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x75
Reaper (Overwatch) x75
Professor Hector x69
Lora (Xenoblade) x65
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x65
Impa x57

50 - 25

Reimu Hakurei x50
Hollow Knight x40
Papyrus x35
9-Volt x34
Creeper x26
Concept: All DLC will be first-party x25
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x25
Thrall (Warcraft) x25

Under 25

Concept: Boss Rush x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Boss: Perfect Chaos x15
Ninten x15
Andy (Advance Wars) x15
Frisk x10
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei rep x10
Decidueye x10
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Sephiroth x10
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Amaterasu x5
Monokuma x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Porky Minch x3

Concept: All DLC will be third-party crosses 100 noms.

Impa sneaks past 50 nominations. UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin you got your wish, hope it was worth it.

Creeper blasts past the under 25 group.

Joining the list today are Porky Minch with 3 noms and Sephiroth with 10.
Hey I'm new here but I don't see Ravio on the nominations list, am I missing a step to get him added?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey I'm new here but I don't see Ravio on the nominations list, am I missing a step to get him added?
Welcome! As a rule, you have to give two sentences per score to get your nominations counted, so if you didn't, that's why I didn't count them. If you're not sure or if I've made a mistake, please link me to your post and I'll check it out.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I’d Still Rather Have Urbosa

I'm still on the "Being a spirit is definitely not a good sign for this DLC set" train.

I feel like we're hitting a lot of indies, and I really don't feel like repeating myself over and over. For reference, see my previous posts for the last two.

Otherwise, she's just always been one of those characters who's rubbed me the wrong way, and I tend to dread the days she comes up in RTC since those are the days we usually get a load of first-time voters coming in, giving a hugely biased score, and then arguments tend to ensue. Yeah, that's not the character it's the fanbase, but it is something I always think of whenever she comes up in conversation.

In terms of a moveset, people tend to eschew transformations (unfortunate, since Zelda/Shiek was always great and I'm beyond hype for the trainer), and Dixie is Nintendo's own hair fighter, so she is overshadowed a lot in that realm. And if we get someone dressed like that, just give me a Gerudo in the first place since Zelda is hurting for unique characters.

I think the spirit is a great place for her as she is recognized in game. We're good.

Nom: More DLC x5
Doesnt want Shantae

wants the blandest moveset wise Champion from Zelda instead.

smh.

Shantae

All that hype WayForward made during the ballot and all Shantae got out of it was a spirit. She likely would've been ignored if the votes didn't catch Nintendo's eye. What "history with Nintendo" is there to speak of when it all seems to amount to WayForward putting Shantae games on Nintendo consoles and Nintendo giving the Seal of Approval.

What good is being around for 16 years when you’ve done nothing to influence the genre in any meaningful way. Shantae's first game bombed so hard, she fell to obscurity for 8 years. Being around since the Gameboy Color isn't something to be proud of when your game came out one year after the release of the Gameboy Advance. She may have four games to her name, but neither one has made her into an icon whereas Shovel Knight's one game did. Shovel Knight actually has "history with Nintendo." Nintendo published the game in Japan and even worked out a deal to produce amiibo of Shovel Knight and the three DLC knights.

WayForward rallying Shantae during the ballot, and people going around chanting "she's got strong history with Nintendo" reminds of that kid in schoolyard games yelling "PICK ME! PICK ME! PICK ME!" as the captains are selecting their teammates.

Boss Rush x5
Do you know WHY her game sold so poorly when it released? Because Capcom sat on their asses and didnt put it to the shelves for 8 MONTHS despite it being gold for all that time. Despite that it had critcal success as being praised for its technical and aesthetical qualities and sold poor due to little marketing and being released almost year after the GBC's successor the GBA had debuted.

"Shovel Knight has history" gimme a ******* break. some deals being made here and there isn't history thats just business done between companies. And getting an amiibo isnt that big of deal given ANY third company can do it as long as they ask and Nintendo agrees, Matt Bozon has said he hasnt done it for Shantae yet cause he would want an amiibo to have significant purpose like how they are used in Smash with how they dont merely unlock new content.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Shantae

Chance - 0%

She's already represented as a spirit. Even while I'm no longer as adamantly on team "spirits deconfirm," I certainly don't think they mean anything good either.

However, the real kicker here is how WayForward immediately rallied fans to get her for DLC, and immediately afterwards had Nintendo announce that all DLC picks would be picked by Nintendo themselves and will not be affected by "fan polls," essentially exposing that WayForward hadn't been contacted for having Shantae as a fighter, and instead was desperately trying to capture popularity once more, as it were lightning in a bottle, to try to grab Nintendo's attention once more.

Even in the case that both of these somehow didn't deconfirm her, I'm also not exactly sure Nintendo would ever want to choose her over nearly any other possible first party or third party character. She's hardly an icon, no matter how hard her fanbase may try to paint her as one.

Want - 0%

I've always thought that indie characters have absolutely no place as playable fighters Super Smash Brothers. That thought of mine hasn't changed, and especially won't change with Shantae.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Welcome! As a rule, you have to give two sentences per score to get your nominations counted, so if you didn't, that's why I didn't count them. If you're not sure or if I've made a mistake, please link me to your post and I'll check it out.
Is that two sentences for Chance and two for Want or two total? I'd have to go back and look but I probably didn't do that on my first one.

Top Bottom