• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Daisy

Chance: 3%

Everything Daisy does Waluigi does better. Well, apart from being an easy semi clone of Peach, and even then, I wouldn't be surprised to see Waluigi pull that off.

Want: 0%

Paper Mario

Chance: 15%

Similar issues as Daisy really, the competition for Mario characters is too crowded. He's gotta contend with Captain Toad, Waluigi, and Geno, and I'd argue all three of them have a better shot than Paper Mario does.

Want: 30%

I'm not fond of seeing multiple versions of the same character on the roster. Paper Mario feels different enough that it wouldn't bother me too much, but still...

Prediction for Pichu: 12%
Prediction for Young Link: 7%

Nominating Bomberman x5

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Daisy
Chance- 50%
Want- 25%

Paper Mario
Chance- 50%
Want- 25%

Both have their chances, but neither of them are Waluigi so they're less of a priority for me.

Nominations- Waluigi x5

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Daisy

Chance: 7%

I presume we're talking her own character slot, because I think she has a high chance of becoming a legitimate alt for Peach, not just a costume but like Lucina/Chrom was planned for Marth and Dark Pit for Pit, the same moves with a some different animations and voice lines. But being her own option? No, I think Waluigi has covered the 'sports/spinoff' character for most people, and Daisy just looks too similar to Peach to get her own thing.

Want: 55%

I actually really like Daisy, I don't know why. I know that there's more deserving representatives but Peach's valley girl 'sister' just gets a crack out of me constantly.

Paper Mario

Chance: 25%

If Nintendo are planning to release a real, full effort, full story, classic gameplay RPG this gets bumped up significantly, but with how they've been largely experimenting and making him a kid friendly 'babies first RPG' I just don't think they'll bother with him too much.

Want: 65%

If anyone deserves multiple representations it's Mario, and with his current moveset being the 'Ryu of Smash' and needing to stay basic it'd be cool to see some of the wackier Mario references thrown into a more outside the box moveset.

Young Link Prediction: 3%(.98)

Pichu Prediction: 4%(.07)
I don't know why I'm doing the bracketed numbers, maybe its to protest the absurdity of the 1/10000 chance, maybe its the inner gambler in me

Nominations:

Andy x 5

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Daisy:

Chance:
5% - I don't really see it, if we're going for a sports moveset then Waluigi has been the frontrunner for a while, and she's got little else going for her. At best she'd be a semi clone for Peach, but even then I don't think she'd be first in the line of semi clones.

Want: 10% - I'd rather have a character with more personality, I know she's not just Peach with a wig, but she's still a flat character regardless.

Paper Mario:

Chance: 20% - I don't think this is the best time for Paper Mario, the series used to be a bigger deal and the character used to be more requested, it just seems like Nintendo's poor efforts at reinventing the series has taken a lot of the sting out of it. He's still one of the more notable Mario candidates, but not the frontrunner like he'd maybe have been otherwise.

Want: 50% - I'd be just fine with him, and there's certainly some decent moveset potential to be found, but I would hardly note his absence if he didn't make it.

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If Nintendo are planning to release a real, full effort, full story, classic gameplay RPG this gets bumped up significantly, but with how they've been largely experimenting and making him a kid friendly 'babies first RPG' I just don't think they'll bother with him too much.
It's actually much worse than that. Because the Mario & Luigi series exists they are trying to move Paper Mario from RPG in general.Tabata: “In order to differentiate these two series that we have running concurrently, we’ve tried to focus more on the non-RPG elements for the Paper Mario games.” They went so far as to call Color Splash an action-adventure title and not an RPG. I don't know why they think they can't have more than one Mario RPG series but here we are.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Daisy:
Chance: 4%
- Her popularity is all she has going for; she'd likely be made a clone of Peach and honestly, who really wants that?
Want: 85% - If they made her unique, it'd make me very happy, as she's my favorite of the Mario princesses.

Paper Mario
Chance: 10% -
Uniqueness is the key factor, but recent franchise sales will likely hold him back. Captain Toad and Waluigi have the upper hand in Mario newcomers.
Want: 5% - I have no real attachment to the series, so I'll pass.

Prediction:
Pichu Chance - 4.85%
Pichu Want: 22.63%

Young Link Chance - 2.06%
Young Link Want - 24.72%

Nominations:

Sora x5

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Paper Mario

Chance: 75%
He has a lot of support, and even though the last 3 games sucked, the series is still a financial success.

Want: 80%
I loved Thousand Year Door and Super Paper Mario, so I'd love to see him in Smash.

Daisy

Chance: 20%
If she's getting in, it's as a Peach skin.

Want: 10%
I don't really care about Daisy. Plus, it could hurt Waluigi's chances if she gets in.

Predictions

Young Link: 7%

Pichu: 7%

Nominations:
Funky Kong x10

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Daisy

Chance: 1%
While it still boggles my mind a bit that Nintendo hasn't added her in yet as even a clone or semi-clone nya, something tells me that she probably won't happen nya. Looks to be that she simply isn't a very wanted character nya.

Want: 90%
I like Daisy nya, she gives a more sporty vibe than other Mario characters do imo nya. Sure her voice is nyannoying as hell and sometimes makes me wanya stab the person using her nya, but an easy solution is to mute the TV nya; thank god for the mute button nya!:nifty: Guess nyu could see it as a love-hate view nya. ... If she got in over Waluigi nya... well... it would just be hate than nya.:nifty:

Paper Mario

Chance: 10%
I think if nyanother Paper Mario were to be surprisingly nyannoced at e3, maybe he could have a better chance nya. Just maybe though nya. But he's pretty irrelivent at the current moment nya.

Want: 75%
I like the classic Paper Mario games nya. So why nyot? Just hoping though that if he is added, Dr. Mario will be made into an alt for Mario nya. I'd rather nyot see three slots with Mario's name on it nya.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Daisy:
Chances: 60%
I feel people are overlooking Daisy's chances a lot, not only Daisy just doesn't fit with at least half of Peach's moveset and we have not sports/flowers based movesets yet but she also has a good support, relevance in the series (especially last year since she appeares in another maingame after a long time) and a flawed concurrence:
Captain Toad has the jump issue, Waluigi is disliked by Sakurai, Geno has copyright issues.
Don't waste your time claiming she is a clone/alt because it's not happening.

Want: 100%
Along with getting Ice Climbers back, Daisy is the only thing I'm really interested on getting, I had tons of fun playing with her in all those games constantly wishing to see more of her character and it has been like that since years.

Paper Mario:
Chances: 60%
It's either Daisy or Paper Mario in terms of chances to me.
Same reasons as Daisy, he has moveset potential, a good support, relevance in the series (the latest instalments got more hate thsn love but still), he is pretty much the only Mario that would stand out from the rest and he has not any major flaw that would limit his inclusion unlike Waluigi, Geno or CT.

Want: 50%
Indifferent, this will increase if Dr Mario gets cut or reduced as an alt but I'd rather have Daisy instead... I'd still pick him over Waluigi any day, he has not the merits or the personality people claim he has.

Last edited:

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Daisy:
Chance: 3%
Let's be real, at best she's getting an alt. There's no way she'd get her own moveset.

Want: 35%
There are better and more important choices to me, but Daisy would be great. Just so long as she gets like, an actual moveset based around the skills she's demonstrated in various games rather than just "lol Mario Sports". She has control over plants and crystals, and she could even borrow some unique power-ups from Super Mario Land, such as the Super Ball, rather than just pulling out Mario spin-off props for every move.
Plus I just really, really like her overenthusiastic personality.

Paper Mario:
Chance: 7%. I'd love for some representation for this series, but it's totally not going to happen.

Want: 25%? I'd love a moveset based more around the first 3 Paper Mario games, but we totally know if he got in it would be all Sticker Star/Color Splash/Paper Jam all the time. Also, there are other character choices from Paper Mario that might be preferable over an alternate version of Mario.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Whoa, quite a day this was. I was rather interested in both of the entries, so I took a bit longer to gather the noms, as I was reading some of the opinions. I won't dredge it up again, but I am surprised to find some serious apathy for both ARMS and Rhythm Heaven...

Eh, anyway. Noms. Let's do that.

Noms update--day 19

Nominations List

Andy x 192
Celica x 189
Dillon x 169
Midna x159
Concept : Zelda Newcomer x 147
Professor Layton x 147
Shulk x 140
Bomberman x 138
Eggman x 137
Marx x 134
Decidueye x 131
Chibi Robo x 129
Shovel Knight x 123
Lucina x 120
Doomguy x 117
Concept: No Cuts x 116
Waluigi x 116
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 113
Banjo Kazooie x 111
Phoenix Wright x 111
Skull Kid x105
Lucas x 100
Sora x 98
Jibanyan x95
Geno x 90
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x86
Micaiah x 86
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x83
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x79
Elma x65
Travis Touchdown x 65
New story mode x65
Agumon x65
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x60
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x58
Funky Kong x58
Mewtwo x 57
Kamek x55
Sans (Undertale) x55
Dark Matter Blade x55
Excitebiker x54
Labo Related Character x 54
Urban Champion x51
Hades x51
Tsubasa Oribe x50
Roy x48
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x45
Lycanroc x45
Arle Nadja x45
Blue Bowser x45
Qbby (from Boxboy) x43
Henry Fleming (Code Name STEAM) x43
2B x 43
Black Shadow x41
Ryu Hayabusa x40
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x37
Simon Belmont x35
Concept - Skyrim representation x32
Neku x 32
Klonoa x30
Azura x 29
Lloyd Irving x27
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Susie (Kirby) x25
Sophitia x25
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x25
Masked Link x24
Ashley (WarioWare) x24
Mipha x24
Parabo and Satebo x24
Concept Indie Character x 22
Style Savvy Rep x 22
Scizor x 21
Palutena x 21
Arcade Rabbit x 20
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x20
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x20
Concept: New Mother Character x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Takumi (FE Fates) x20
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x20
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x19
Concept: Advance Wars CO x16
Returning game mode: Smash Run x15
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x15
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x15
Medusa x 14
Impa x 14
Dark Samus x 13
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
9-Volt (WarioWare) x12
Doshin the Giant x12
Bayonetta x12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Greninja x11
Poipole (Pokemon) x11
Cloud x11
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Robin x 9
Petey Piranha x9
Viridi x9
Mimikyu x 9
Pac-Man x9
Fawful x8
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x8
Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Concept: Custom Moves Return x7
Sylux x7
Tails x 7
Balloon Fighter x7
Nia and Dromarch x6
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Prince Fluff x5
Ninten x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ray (Custom Robo) x 5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Zeraora x10
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Gooey (Kirby Series) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
Octolings x5
Django (Boktai) x5
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Lip (Panel de Pon) x4
Cranky Kong x4
Mii Fighters x 4
KOS-MOS x4
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x3
Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Tom Nook x3
Dragonborn x3
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x3
Dragonite x3
King Boo x2
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Zangoose x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toon Zelda x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Endou Mamoru x2
Tora and Poppi x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Dark Pit x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes) x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Concept: Snipperclips representation x1
Tetra x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Isabelle x1
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Mach Rider x1
Sable Prince x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Sukapon x1
Toad x1
Slime (Dragon Quest) x1
Gengar x1
Starfy x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1

Notes:

It's a seriously neck-and-neck race with Celica and Andy--you guys don't see anything but the day totals, but as I add the noms, it's constantly going back and forth. I have to wonder if some of you are specifically nominating one after you see the other has been nominated...lol.

Nominations:
Andy x 5

Pichu Prediction: 4%(.07)
I don't know why I'm doing the bracketed numbers, maybe its to protest the absurdity of the 1/10000 chance, maybe its the inner gambler in me

Nominations:

Andy x 5
Was this a mistake, or did you win extra noms last round? Sorry, I don't really keep up with who won.:p

New additions this round:

Octolings x5
Gengar x1
Starfy x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Django (Boktai) x5

I'll cap it right there, I think. Got to go in to work early tomorrow. Goodnight, all!

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom you know the drill...:grin:

Edit: added a few noms from people that posted before me. Now I'm really going to sleep, lol.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Daisy

Chances: 2%

There are several other Mario characters that just seem more likely.

Want: 25%
Having her along with Waluigi would be neat, but I'm not dying to see her.

Paper Mario

Chances: 40%

He has some tough competition, but he is a relevant character who has been highly demanded for quite some time, and definitely has potential for a unique moveset. He also got a stage, which is something. I also think Paper Jam helped cement him as a different character from regular Mario which I feel helps. Though he would technically be another version of Mario, and Sakurai might want to go for a more distinct Mario newcomer.

Want: 75%

My desire for Paper Mario has dropped a bit since his last few games were less than stellar. That being said I do still have very fond memories of the character, and I think he can be a lot of fun.

Nominations: Geno x5

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
It's actually much worse than that. Because the Mario & Luigi series exists they are trying to move Paper Mario from RPG in general.Tabata: “In order to differentiate these two series that we have running concurrently, we’ve tried to focus more on the non-RPG elements for the Paper Mario games.” They went so far as to call Color Splash an action-adventure title and not an RPG. I don't know why they think they can't have more than one Mario RPG series but here we are.
On the one hand I can understand that line of thought, streamline your products and expand your product range. Give everyone a series for them, rather than 2 series for one. On the other hand Nintendo really shouldn't be struggling to make each RPG series unique despite how unique they are from other RPGs anyway.

Was this a mistake, or did you win extra noms last round? Sorry, I don't really keep up with who won.:p
Mistake, though I was 1.5% off :(. Formatting different font sizes was just acting weird so I needed to type the last part somewhere else in the post at regular size then forgot to delete it after I copy/pasted.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Daisy:

Chances: 65%

I have to say that this thread is FULL of bias against her. Did you guys even consider how much love Daisy got in Smash 4 compared to other titles? Unlike Waluigi who got a recycled Brawl assist, she got FOUR trophies in Smash 4.

Also, did you not notice that in Miitopia, an EAD developed game in 2016, chose Daisy to have a Mii costume but not Wario, Diddy Kong or Waluigi? Peach’s clear movie also had a ton of Daisy references and even Rosalina had some. Did you notice that Namco also developed Mario Sports Superstars that put Daisy in the front cover?

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Daisy

If we're getting another Mario newcomer it will be either Paper Mario, Geno or Captain Toad. She's mainly a spinoff character which I think will make her low priority. Yeah she was introduced in Mario land but she did jack **** in that game. Also if we're gonna represent the Mario Sports and Party games, why not go for Waluigi who not only is way more popular but also has more of an personality? I feel like she'll be a Peach alt at most.

I just don't see the appeal.

Paper Mario

Chance: 50%

We got a Paper Mario stage last game. Maybe they'll take it one more step forward this time around.

If his moveset would be based around the first 2-3 games I'd be very happy, but if they'd mainly focus on his recent games, I wouldn't really care for him.

Predictions: Young Link 18.71% Pichu 9.89%

Nominations: Hades x5

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
User was warned for this post
Daisy

If we're getting another Mario newcomer it will be either Paper Mario, Geno or Captain Toad. She's mainly a spinoff character which I think will make her low priority. Yeah she was introduced in Mario land but she did jack **** in that game. Also if we're gonna represent the Mario Sports and Party games, why not go for Waluigi who not only is way more popular but also has more of an personality? I feel like she'll be a Peach alt at most.

I just don't see the appeal.

Paper Mario

We got a Paper Mario stage last game. Maybe they'll take it one more step forward this time around.

If his moveset would be based around the first 2-3 games I'd be very happy, but if they'd mainly focus on his recent games, I wouldn't really care for him.

Predictions: Young Link 18.71% Pichu 9.89%

Nominations: Hades x5
I am so sorry but this seems like you just don’t want Daisy to be in and aren’t rating her chances fairly. 1%?!?! Seriously? Yet another Mario variant gets 50%? Daisy is mainly a spinoff character when she has mainline series art and stuff?

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Paper mario:
chance 18%
His series is just getting worse and worse right now but he has a stage on the 3ds version of smash so that could mean something

Want 1%
I liked the first few paper mario games BUT It wasn't because of paper mario but because of the awesome characters that were introduced to these games so I rather have any original character from this series rather than having just another mario even if he has unique moveset, to me paper mario looks he is just saying "look at me I am mario so buy this game please"

Daisy:
Chance 14%
I can see her as a last minute clone I don't know how Sakurai feels about her

Want 30%
I am ok with her a clone or not but she NEEDS to bring super mario land content with her I want to see Tatanga in 3D and other characters from super mario land as well

Nomination:
Geno x5

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario

He was at his height during the Brawl/SSB4 days. After sticker Star his series has crashed and gone downhill. It looks like it’s being replaced slowly by the M&L series as the Mario RPG. I think it’s better off being represented by stages, items, and/or trophies. Adding a third Mario seems like a complete waste to me when the series has different characters to offer. Get rid of Dr. Mario and maybe I’ll consider him, but this isn’t Mario Kart 8 to be stuffing 3-4 different Marios.

Daisy

Chance: 25%
Want: Abstain

I think she is a viable contender but I don’t feel so sure about her. She’d be easy to develop that’s for sure, but it throws me off that they haven’t picked her in the past considering they’ve added many clones before. She could definitely be unique as well, but she lacks that Major appearance to make it seem more hopeful, so if anything she’d be more of a low priority newcomer like Bowser jr. I think she’s a cute character but I don’t strongly want her.

x4 Waluigi
x1 Kamek

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Captain Toad has the jump issue, Waluigi is disliked by Sakurai, Geno has copyright issues.
For Captain Toad Sakurai could make his inability to jump into a unique gimmick. Maybe he's able to pack and unpack stuff in and out of his bag. If the bag is full he'll be unable to jump and he'll be slower, but he'll be really heavy, making him hard to knock off, and the less stuff that is in his bag the higher he can jump and the faster he will be, but the lighter he will be. Or Sakurai could just wright a little blurb in his trophy description saying that he packed lightly this time, bringing only the essentials, so he'll be better suited for combat. This is not even mentioning the fact that Sonic can swim in Smash despite not being able to in his games, and that Olimar is 40 times his normal size. His inability to jump due to wearing a heavy backpack really shouldn't prevent him from becoming playable.

In regards to Waluigi, Sakurai has never implied that he disliked him. I'm guessing you think this based off him saying "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" in regard to Waluigi, which can hardly be considered evidence. My take away from what he said was that being a prominent character doesn't guarantee you a spot in Smash.

As for Geno we got a costume of him in the last Smash, and we got a Square character playable in Cloud. If Sakurai really wants him (which we know he has wanted him since Brawl) it shouldn't be too big of an issue.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I may do my write up later. Much later.

I still like Daisy despite those two certain fanboys of her. Mario has 7 reps already so I don't think they will get an newcomers for this installment.
Ah yes, the two big reasons why I've avoided Gamefaqs. Can't stand those two.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I wonder why we're not rating Waluigi today as well?

Daisy
Daisy does indeed have fans and is popular amongst the female fanbase. I don't neccessarily see her as a clone since the spinoffs have given her many, many different flower based abilities as well as showcasing her to be more of a brawler type than Peach or Rosalina. Strikers also gave her crystal based abilities so there's some potential to differ from Peach.

Unfortunately Daisy's main quality is she's been in every sports game and thus would likely represent the Mario Sports side of the spinoffs. In that area she faces fierce competition in Waluigi, a character whom was known for debuting in Mario Tennis, arguably the most popular Mario sport series outside of Kart. Waluigi over the years, much like Daisy, has gained a large fanbase due to his larger than life personality and I can't really decide who is more likely to rep Mario sports, if indeed we are to get a Mario sports based character to begin with.

The only thing she has over Waluigi is appearing in Super Mario Land in Peach's role, but really she's less connected to the mainline games at this point than even Pauline who had a similar role in Mario's very first appearance so I'm not entirely sure if that's a massive point in her favour or not.

Add to that fierce competition from Captain Toad and Paper Mario, characters who have their own dedicated spinoff games in recent years and the likes of oddball popular pick Geno, and to a lesser extent Nabbit(whom at least is playable in a mainline Mario game on the last generation's console) and it's hard to really give Daisy above 10% for me personally.

Here's the thing; I personally want Captain Toad(or heck Toad) in first. Not gonna lie, it's in my name and he's been my number one desire since Smash 64.

However once he's in, Daisy and Waluigi are going to be boosted somewhat since I'm always hungry for new Mario fighters. As of right now however, Daisy's in a weird situation as I cannot pick between her and Waluigi for my second Mario support for the game and am hoping we get two new Mario characters in this iteration too.

Paper Mario
Chance: 35%
There weren't many Nintendo IPs on the Wii U, but amongst them was Paper Mario getting a whole new game. He has plenty of moveset potential being made of paper, had a game on the Wii U AND a crossover game since Smash Bros. 4 plus is one of the more popular choices for a new Smash fighter from the Mario franchise.
On the flipside(ha, flip. He's paper...okay I'll see myself out...) he's been around since the 64 and has failed to become a playable character during his first three far more popular games.
Color Splash was hit with overwhelming(and unfair) negative responses upon it's reveal after Sticker Star pretty much destroyed poor Paper Mario's previous squeaky clean record.

Want: 20%
It's not that I don't see Paper Mario's potential, it's that for me Paper Mario's appeal in The Thousand Year Door/64 was the use of partner characters, which were sadly dropped after Super. I imagine a Paper Mario fighter now would not have the likes of Goombella, Kooper, Lady Bow or Vivian to draw from in a moveset and the idea of a Paper Mario without these abilities is a character not living up to it's full potential.

On a lesser note, whilst Dr. Mario is still in the game, the last thing I want is a third Mario whilst the likes of Toad, Waluigi and Daisy don't get a look in edgeways. We've had three Links, but should we have had Link, Toon and Young Link in Smash together I think a lot of fans would raise an eyebrow.

That said, Paper Mario STAGES is something I want 100%. To date the Glitz Pit is my dream stage.

Predictions
Young Link: 2%
Pichu: 4.5%

Nominations:
Concept: Zelda Newcomer X 5

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Daisy chances: 4.5%
I'd expect her to be pretty low on the priority list if anything.

Daisy want: 5%
I don't really care.

Paper Mario chances: 21%
He's not relly the kind of character I'd expect to get the highest priority, but I could imagine him getting in as the last unique character added or something. He has some advantages on his side, like having his own subseries and even being acknowledged as his own character in a M&L game since the last Smash, plus having a stage on Smash 3DS. Part of me expects Captain Toad over him however.

Paper Mario want: 52%
I enjoyed what I played of TTYD, and I guess he'd be a cool character.

Pichu prediction: 11.21%
Young Link prediction: 9.65%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Daisy:

Chances: 65%

I have to say that this thread is FULL of bias against her. Did you guys even consider how much love Daisy got in Smash 4 compared to other titles? Unlike Waluigi who got a recycled Brawl assist, she got FOUR trophies in Smash 4.

Also, did you not notice that in Miitopia, an EAD developed game in 2016, chose Daisy to have a Mii costume but not Wario, Diddy Kong or Waluigi? Peach’s clear movie also had a ton of Daisy references and even Rosalina had some. Did you notice that Namco also developed Mario Sports Superstars that put Daisy in the front cover?

Look, I'm all for you making a case for Daisy in Smash, I'd be interested in hearing a decent argument for her. Given that you gave her a 65% chance, I'm sure you've got one hell of an argument to back her up! But the things you listed consist of immobile 3D models, recolored cosmetics from a mobile game, screenshots, and game covers. This is doing nothing for your case. Half of them don't even involve Smash Brothers or Sakurai, and the other half are purely cosmetic!

If you're going to be accusing us of bias, you've gotta back up your claims with something substantial.

D

Deleted member

Daisy
She's just a minor spin-off only character, and she doesn't reach the same heights of popularity as Waluigi. I mean yeah she got some attention recently but that's galaxy brain stuff. I could see her getting in as a low effort clone but those are harder to predict.

Please stop existing.

Paper Mario
Chance: Abstain

Want: 40%
I have yet to play a Paper Mario game so I don't really know what he can do, but the moveset concept I've seen didn't quite click on me.
If he gets in I'd be happy for his fans, but I won't form an opinion until I actually play the series.

Decidueye x5

Last edited by a moderator:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Daisy:

Chances: 15%
The idea of setting aside a spot for a Mario spin-off extra is contentious enough, let alone the question of who should be allowed to have the spot. Daisy's issue is that she ultimately differs from Peach by only a few stats and decibels, and she doesn't have the trump card of Being From A Sakurai Game that Dark Pit did. Creating and inserting a decloned Peach into the roster would be easy, of course - the question is whether they'll bother to or not, and three games of the latter choice suggest that the tradition will continue.

Want: 8%
I'd like to see them dedicate half of Peach's alt costumes to Daisy, but that's it. There's just so many other Mario characters to pay attention to that you can't really afford to focus on the ones that struggle to differentiate themselves.

Paper Mario:

Chances: 22%
Paper Mario is as old as the N64 era, and by all logic had a foot in the door the moment Young Link was added. A moveset themed around paper shenanigans that abound in all his games offers an intriguing playstyle, far different from the simple jumps and punches that normal Mario wields. Despite this, his personality's practically a carbon copy of the main Mario himself, and so Paper Mario's gone title after title without him or his supporting cast ever leaving the trophy cabinet. Link and Pit may get extra versions of themselves, but one more of the most famous game character of all is apparently one too many.

EDIT: I have just remembered that Dr. Mario exists, so it'd be remiss to pretend he isn't a factor here too. The doctor was able to squeeze in as a representation of a good puzzle game in a time when Paper Mario only had one game to his name, and now has a history to back him while Paper Mario has to use his Miyamoto-sponsored latest titles in his defence. If there's one thing certain, however, it's that it's extremely unlikely we'll ever see a Smash game with both of these Marios in the roster.

Want: 70%
A Paper Mario moveset would brim with style and ideas, and would be an outstanding addition to the roster in terms of flavour and variety. That he has such a long history complements his potential and gives him a solid argument for inclusion - all he needs now is developer attention that will look back at the games that made him so successful in the first place.

Predictions
Pichu: 6%
Young Link: 2%

Nominations:
Sans (Undertale) x5

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Daisy

Chance: 5%
Want: 1%

Don't care for Daisy as she'd probably be a clone of Peach or have random sports and spin-off moves that make no sense. 5% because at most she'd become a Peach alt, I'd be surprised if she became playable.

Paper Mario

Chance: 15%
Want: 5%

Like Daisy, I really don't care for another Mario. We have two already, and despite how unique Paper Mario would be, it'd just feel overwhelming. 15% chance because he could be somewhat likely, but Paper Mario isn't exactly WHAT Mario is known for, so I'd like to think he's highly unlikely for those two things alone

Predictions:
Pichu: 4.3%
Young Link: 2.5%

Nominations:
Poipole x2
Petey Piranha x2
Azura x1

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
For Captain Toad Sakurai could make his inability to jump into a unique gimmick. Maybe he's able to pack and unpack stuff in and out of his bag. If the bag is full he'll be unable to jump and he'll be slower, but he'll be really heavy, making him hard to knock off, and the less stuff that is in his bag the higher he can jump and the faster he will be, but the lighter he will be. Or Sakurai could just wright a little blurb in his trophy description saying that he packed lightly this time, bringing only the essentials, so he'll be better suited for combat. This is not even mentioning the fact that Sonic can swim in Smash despite not being able to in his games, and that Olimar is 40 times his normal size. His inability to jump due to wearing a heavy backpack really shouldn't prevent him from becoming playable.

In regards to Waluigi, Sakurai has never implied that he disliked him. I'm guessing you think this based off him saying "Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into the battle" in regard to Waluigi, which can hardly be considered evidence. My take away from what he said was that being a prominent character doesn't guarantee you a spot in Smash.

As for Geno we got a costume of him in the last Smash, and we got a Square character playable in Cloud. If Sakurai really wants him (which we know he has wanted him since Brawl) it shouldn't be too big of an issue.
But it's weird that he said this only to Waluigi... I feel this is still an evidence on his bad relactionship between them.
Not only this, but times ago I found this interview if Sakurai saying he strongly dislikes Waluigi and doesn't see potential in his character.

It's not that easy, it seems that Square Enix just doesn't want to allow Nintendo to use Geno anymore, Sakurai said he had this kind of issues too, didn't he? Also this can be confirmed with Geno's absence in the Superstar Saga remake.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Captain Toad has the jump issue
Wait, what does this have to do with anything?

Last I checked a large amount of characters couldn't remotely jump in their own games. Villager? Olimar?

That's a complete non-issue when it comes to Captain Toad as a playable character.

D

Deleted member

Not only this, but times ago I found this interview if Sakurai saying he strongly dislikes Waluigi and doesn't see potential in his character.
You need to post a link to that, because I don't recall Sakurai saying anything like that.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Wait, what does this have to do with anything?

Last I checked a large amount of characters couldn't remotely jump in their own games. Villager? Olimar?

That's a complete non-issue when it comes to Captain Toad as a playable character.
This is a different situation, Olimar or Villager can't jump because the gameplay of their games doesn't requires it but they are physically able to do it, Captain Toad can't jump due to his bag.
You need to post a link to that, because I don't recall Sakurai saying anything like that.
It has been a long time since I saw it, I will try to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Daisy
Chance: 30%
Well here we go.. If we even get a Mario newcomer, she has competition between Captain Toad, Waluigi, and Geno. Each with their own merits of being chosen over the other. I think Daisy's best hope is being a Peach semi-clone or the Alph treatment. Whether that is good enough for Daisy fans depends on the person, but for me it is good enough.

I would love to see her in, but my preferred Mario newcomer is still Geno

Paper Mario
Chance: 40%
For me the ship has sailed, but perhaps Sakurai will consider him. He may be another Mario, but unlike Dr. Mario he has a lot of uniqueness on his side.

Don't care one way or another

x5 to Celica

D

Deleted member

Daisy

Chance: 20%
Would have a greater chance as a :4peach: alt.

Want: 15%
Looks like I'm one of the very few people around here who genuinely like her, but there's plenty of Mario characters already.

Paper Mario

Chance: 55%
Starting with Melee, the Paper Mario series gained more and more representation in Smash, through trophies to stages, so maybe for the next Smash...?

Want: 65%
TTYD is among my most favorite video games, and he'd still be a better :4mario: derivative than :4drmario:.

Nomination:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Predictions:
Pichu: 6.4%
Young Link: 9.3%

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Daisy

Chance: 10% - I'm being pretty generous here, honestly. Her getting in mostly relies on he Ballot and if Sakurai thinks she has decent moveset potential. Worst-case scenario she's be a clone or semi-clone of Peach. Best-case, an Alt.

Want: 1% - I think she's be welcome if she was an alternate for Peach, but when it comes to her being a standalone character, I'm not too big a fan. I'll admit that she does have unique moveset potential, but that's not enough for me to really like her. Especially when there are much better options for a Mario newcomer, in my opinion. Captain Toad, Waluigi, Paper Mario...

Paper Mario oh hey

Chance: 30% - I think Paper Mario actually has a decent shot. I can see him replacing Dr. Mario as the 'Second Mario', but his moveset at worst would make him a semi-clone, and at best a non-clone.

Want: 5% - The want rating would be a little bit higher if we knew for certain that Dr. Mario wasn't returning, but under the assumption that he is, I'm really not a fan of adding in a third Mario. Would still make a better addition than Daisy, though.

Nominations: Midna x5

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
To preface this, I'm just going to say that I don't hate Daisy. I'm completely indifferent to her.

Daisy:
Chance: 0%
- Irrelevant
- Lack of mass popularity
- Cannot viably use Peach's moves, so no joy as a clone or alt
- There are at least 4 or 5 more prominent, popular and likely characters in the Mario series
- She's little more than a palette swap damsel in distress, used to fill Mario's sports titles
- I doubt Sakurai wants to look like he's scraping the barrel to find newcomers
- If a character gets the 'sports moveset' role in the game, it'll be Waluigi. He at least already has that role in previous Smash games through his assist trophy (and Sakurai's POTD teased him in the previous Smash)

I will never understand why she appeals to some people

Paper Mario:
Paper Mario is a long-running and pretty successful spinoff series. Not only that, but he has a lot of potential to be unique from the existing playable Mario (thanks to the hammer, and his paper abilities). The main issue he has, is that he's another Mario. Though Mario easily could easily warrant another version of himself playable (hell, there are two Samus', two Links and two Zeldas).

If we get a new Mario character, he's one of the potential candidates.

I love Paper Mario, but there are other Mario characters I'd rather have personally.

Nom: Banjo-Kazooie x5

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Paper Mario Chance: 35%
At this point, I think Paper Mario's the Mario character with the best chance by a decent margin. He's still clearly popular, he's still got clear moveset potential, and he's still significant. That said I doubt we'd get a Mario newcomer this time around.

Want: 70%
I'd prefer if they'd stick with mostly the first three games for his moveset, but I'll accept one mostly based off of Sticker Star and Color Splash as long as the first three still get acknowledged.

Daisy Chance: 5%
And then there's Daisy, who, simply put, isn't going to get added unless she's a last minute clone/ semi-clone. I mean, let's be honest here: even if one can make a totally unique moveset for her, you'd really have to dig deep just to come up with something beyond just Mario Kart items. And honestly, I doubt Sakurai would ever dig THAT deep over a character who has a small following at best.

"Then just give her Mario Kart only items! That'd make her unique!"

Maybe it would, but you know who'd also be able to use those items and be able to have a more interesting moveset with them thanks to having a crazier personality and bizarre abilities? And is more popular to boot? Yeah, Waluigi. So... that option's a bust too really. So... Daisy's basically screwed. Not really in the spotlight, little potential without digging as deep as hell, not really popular... and the most obvious moveset potential she does have is ultimately outclassed by someone else.

... And the fact that Waluigi does outclass her in potential for the most part just makes me want him instead if we have to get some Mario Kart moveset, and even then I'd still be indifferent to the idea. Maybe if Sakurai would bother to dig deeper, than sure, she could be fun, but... it ain't happening. Not now. Maybe not even ever.

Pichu Prediction: 10%

Young Link Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Daisy

Chance - 5%
Yeah, I know. She'd be recognized by the casual market. But I don't think Sakurai sees her as the sports representative. That title belongs to Waluigi as an AT. Since he's in as an assist and more popular, the only way she gets in is if Sakurai makes her an alt-turned-character, which didn't happen in Smash 4.

Want - 40%
I like her, but there are bigger fish to fry.

Paper Mario

Chance - 15%
Series finally got content...sadly it wasn't good. A rather poorly made medley and a stage mostly showing us the worst game of the series. With Dr. Mario now a two-game veteran, one has to wonder if a third Mario stands a chance of popping up. Yes, he does have move set potential, but as a character he wouldn't stand out.

Want - 50%
Used to be much higher, but since his move set will probably be inspired by Sticker Star/Color Splash, the want for him has decreased significantly. The first two games will always be classic, but they seem destined to remain relics rather than what the series needs to continue on from. A shame.

Pichu prediction: 7.5%
Young Link prediction: 5%

Noms: Phoenix Wright x5

Fane

Smash Journeyman
This is a different situation, Olimar or Villager can't jump because the gameplay of their games doesn't requires it but they are physically able to do it, Captain Toad can't jump due to his bag.
It really isn't different. That's just an excuse as to why Toad is unable to jump in his own game, and he's not required to do so either. They literally say that they just made him unable to jump because it would've forced them to create very large levels. That doesn't make it any less likely for him to be playable.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
Daisy Chances: 30%
Unfortunate, because...

Daisy Want: 100%
... she is one of my most wanted newcomers and one of my favourite Mario characters overall.

Paper Mario Chances: 50%
I have no idea what could happen with him, so I'll stick at fifty fifty.

Paper Mario Want: 100%
Tons of moveset potential (partners, pixls, stickers, paint, things. Adorable design. Uniqueness. One of my most favourite series of all the time. Another of my most wanted.

Prediction: Pichu > 5%; Young Link > 5%
Noms: Starfy x 5

Last edited:

Tonydrake

Smash Apprentice
DAISY

Chance: 5 %

Only as an alt skin for Peach. I don't think she will ever have her own slot in Smash

Want: 5 %

I don't want her to get in before Toad/Captain Toad, but if Toad gets in then I'm fine with her too

PAPER MARIO

Chance: 30 %

If Mario gets another version of himself, it will be Paper Mario. It would be the most logical choice, just like Toon Link

Want: 0 %

I don't like Paper Mario games nor his design, so I'm not interested at all

Top Bottom