• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Double abstaining for today. I know next to nothing about Lip or her series other than that they're pretty obscure, although she is reasonably popular among the Smash speculation base. Her design also doesn't do much for me, but the idea of a unique puzzle character in Smash is intriguing to me, so I could go either way on her depending on how she's implemented.

Agumon Prediction: 4.92%. He is Namco, but I don't see the idea of Digimon in Smash being too popular.

Nominating Tingle x5

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Lip

Chance: 10% - She’s got a shot if Sakurai’s looking to expand the retro slot’s purview beyond just the NES. But that’s impossible to predict, and Takamaru currently has a chokehold on that spot anyways. If there’s two she might make it, but there’s plenty of other options for her to compete with.

Want: 50% - It’d be nice to see her show up, but I’m not really jonesin for her or anything. If nothing else I’d at least like to see her as an AT.

Prediction

Agumon: 5.35% - Namco’s likely to throw Heihachi into the Smash ring first, and I feel like most people are not feelin too great about Pikachu’s OG rival. After Heihachi though, Agumon is a notable standout amongst Namco’s offerings.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5

Troykv

Smash Master
Lip

So... it's Lip time uh?... Well... Lip is one of these potential new Smash Characters that are Main Characters in their games, are still somewhat remember nowadays and has some decent following.... So....

Chance: 15%

In a different time maybe her chances would be better or worse, but I don't have any particular reason to put her outside of my "15% Realm".

Want: 51%

She looks cute, but I don't have idea what she would do xD.

Predictions:

Agumon: 6.5%

Nominations... the current Top 9 seems more exciting than the following choices, any of these WOULD be revealed in the E3 (but the Summoner), so it's better to continue with this group.

Steve x3
Cranky Kong x2

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
"Ow, I busted my Lip"

Chance: 1%
I'll give her the one percent because she is a Nintendo character and has some history. However, I just don't see it happening. Takamaru was a solid pick for Smash 4 until Sakurai cut him because he wasn't even able to be recognized worldwide. This goes for Lip as well, she just has no presence outside of Japan. I can hear it now, the frantic typing of finding the obvious exception of "but what about Marth, Roy, and Lucas????" Marth and Roy repped FE in Melee, and FE had been an active franchise for 11 years at that point. Marth's franchise basically created the Tactical RPG genre and was a huge deal in Japan at the time. It had the relevance and significance that Lip just doesn't have at this point. Lucas got in because of development issues and Sakurai thinking he'd be global, by the time he realized that that wasn't the case it was too late.

Lip isn't really a viable retro rep, I still think there are a few NES era characters that should take priority (Takamaru, Excitebike, etc.) She isn't relevant either. She isn't even international for the nostalgia of overseas audiences. Lip is essentially riding on the fact that she is a Nintendo character, last time I checked those guys had a bit of competition.

Want: 0%
Never played her games and she doesn't seem all that interesting. With how many things other characters have but she doesn't, I'd be genuinely disappointed that she got in over other picks.

Agumon Prediction: 5.5%

Noms: Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x5

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Lip:
Chance: 15%

She faces the obstacle that a lot of other characters face, which is here lack of localization and world-wide appeal. She is also in a different case than someone like Takamaru, as her game did technically release in America, but was rebranded and Lip was replaced. She has had quite a few references in the Smash games, most prominently Lip's Stick, but she herself hasn't had a major role at all. This is why I think she isn't going to make it, she hasn't had the time to flourish and become known through Smash without becoming a fighter. Lots of people, including myself, are very confident in Takamaru becoming a playable character this time around. His assist trophy role helped put him in the spotlight and possibly get his game released world-wide. Lip has a niche audience and I think she would need time to grow as a possible assist trophy and other prominent role first.

Want: 70%
She has enough interesting potential that I wouldn't mind her getting in, and I would like an actual puzzle rep to be added. I also just kind of feel bad that she's been getting the short end of the stick for the past decade.

Agumon Prediction:
3.84%

Nominations:
Ray x5

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Chance? 20%. I don't think the chance for Lip is absolutely extremely low, but I don't think she's all that likely to get in.

Want: 100%. Legit my most wanted character at the moment.

Agumon prediction: 5%

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Excitebiker x262
Pyra & Mythra x262
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x260
Cranky Kong x232
Masked Link x230
Concept: Skyrim representation x230
Wonder Red x227
Steve x222
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x210

Over 200:

Kamek x208
Gengar x205

199-150

Tingle x189
Linkle x185
Lloyd Irving x185
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x183
Parabo & Satebo x174
Papyrus x173
Concept: Masked Dedede Final Smash x170
Lara Croft x170
Sakura Shinguji x168
Sable Prince x158
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150

149-100

Tetra x147
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x145
Neku Sakuraba x144
Ryu Hayabusa x140
Thwomp x135
Django x135
Slippy Toad x132
Tsubasa Oribe x130
Scorpion x125
Katrielle Layton x122
Veteran: Corrin x117
Balloon Fighter x117
Fawful x116
Labo Guy/Robot x115
Octoling x110
DeMille x108
Ray x103
2B x101
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x100
Primarina x100

99-75

Leon Kennedy x99
Barbara x95
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x93
Smash Run x87
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Susie x86
Arcade Bunny x85
[Rerate] King K. Rool x85
Concept: Monster Hunter character x80
Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x80
Eevee x80
Klonoa x78
Dragonite x77
Fjorm x75
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x73
Stage: New Donk City x70
Gooey x69
Louie x65
Starfy x64
Zeraora (Pokémon) x63
Meowth x61
Breidablik Item x60
Tora & Poppi x57
Tails x55
Toon Zelda x55
Veteran: Roy x51
Veteran: Dr. Mario x51
[Rerate] Rex & Pyra x51
Rick/Coo/Kine x50
9-Volt x50

49-30:

Concept: Wars character x48
Ayumi Tachibana x44
Slime x40
Concept: Style Savvy character x39
Yu Narakumi x39
Neptune x38
Viridi x38
Veteran: Bayonetta x37
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x35
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x34
Doshin the Giant x32
Endou Mamoru x32
Concept: Transformation characters x30
Concept: Female Announcer x30
Nikki x30
Snorlax x29
Leo (FE Fates) x28
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x28
Concept: Indie Character x28
Mach Rider x28
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Ghirahim x26
Tiki x26
Solaire x26
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
T-Rex x25
Rowlet x25

24 and less:

Ninten x22
Concept: No Mega Evolutions x20
Concept: Boss Battles x15
Concept: Battlefield Stages x10
Joker x10
Concept: Multiple Voice Acting Options x10
Concept: Pac Man World-based Moveset x10
Black Mage x6
Alex Kidd x5
[Rerate] Daisy x5
Shadow x5
Lark x5
Saber x5
Orbulon x5
Zangoose x5
Kumatora x5
Blastoise x5
Ashley Miziku Robbins x5
Mushashi x5
Concept: 16-Player Smash x5
Concept: DLC Announcers x5
Fiora x5
Concept: Historical Character x5
Muddy Mole x5
Dr. Wright x5
Viewtful Joe x5
Masked Man x3
[Rerate] Squirtle x2
Stage: Metal Caverns x2

Changes:

A new top 9 - this is the final nine to be rated prior to E3. Nominate well!
Ray, Primarina, and DK/Diddy/Bowser voice clips break 100 noms
Pikmin newcomer and Dragonite break 75 noms
Rex & Pyra, 9-Volt, and Rick/Coo/Kine break 50 noms - they are safe from the purge
Rowlet breaks 25 noms
Interestingly enough despite the threat of a purge, a handful of new additions:Viewtful Joe, Dr. Wright, Muddy Mole, and a concept about historical characters all added at five nominations a piece.
Gah, Lara Croft is still 40 sway
And the anxiety kicks in...

But seriously, all of the characters I've wanted to rate have already been rated (or are about to be rated). If anyone needs help with a character, just let me know.
Lara Croft :)

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Lip

Chance: 7%

- Very unlikely. She could really use a new game to bring her back to relevance.

Want: 29%

- I wouldn’t be upset if she gets adde but she’s not a priority.

Prediction

Agumon: 2.4%

Nominations

Neptune (Neptunia Series) x3
Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x2

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Lip

Chance: 9%

Unfortuately she is still a Japan-only character which completely kills her chances unlike Takamaru who had his game released outside Japan for the 3DS VC, and Panel De Pon needs a new installment to be relevant, though I guess she can still qualify for being a retro rep.

Want: 100%
Lip is another character that I have supported in the Pre-Brawl era, and I still would like for her to become a playable character in a Smash installment. Lip is just so adorable and she has a unique moveset potential.

Agumon: 4.57%

I'm just going to help other people with their nominations except for a Rex&Pyra Re-rate, and I am going to give my aid to Opossum
x5 to K.Rool

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Lip

Chances: 25% - Really would love to see her make the roster. The problem at the moment is the amount of retro selections due to the amount of retro choices here. Takamuaru would end up taking the retro slot, but it would be nice to have Lip as a second selection

Want: 100% - I do believe she would make a solid addition to the roster. Lip's flower was used in the series 3 times and it's time for her to bring the character into the series. More females reps would be nice as well as having a puzzle rep which we've yet to really have minus Yoshi, Doc, and Wario who were in puzzles.

Agumon predictions: 2.4%

Nominations

Gengar x5

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
Lip

Chance:5%
It's a possibility, although not a very high one. As others have said, she's not known worldwide, which is her biggest hindrance. Having her replaced by Mario or Pokemon characters in her worldwide releases. Plus, Lip's stick most likely returning hurts her as well.

Want: 50%
I'm either or. I'd be welcoming to seeing her in Smash, but I wouldn't really care if she didn't make it in either.

Nominations
Eevee x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hey could we make it a double day for the last few days of predictions before the E3 Evaluation and Expectations days?

andimidna

Smash Master
Lip:
A totally viable choice with no real hints towards them or glaring flaws. I can’t rate her super high or super low
Chance: 13% (viable option)
(Once again, this is like a mid score for me, since I don’t expect that many new characters pre-dlc, almost all of my chance scores are on the low end)
The only major thing I can say against her is that Takamaru has everything pointing to him right now basically. This doesn’t mean there can’t be 2 retros, like getting G&W and ICs in Melee, ROB and Pit in Brawl, and there may have just been Duck Hunt in Smash 4 but Pac-Man and Mega Man almost felt like pseudo-retros. I’m not trying to say there’s a pattern for 2 so that’s what it’ll be, just that it’d be nothing out of the blue if they added 1 or 2 retros. Neither option would surprise me
Want: 85%
I’ve seen some pretty cool movesets made for her. The concept of a puzzle character really should be taken advantage of, and she’s a great face for it.

Agumon pred: 4.75%

x3 FE Summoner
x2 Style Savvy character

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Lip
Chance: N/A
Want: 65%
She seems like she would be fun to play as. Though I wouldn't really be mad if she doesn't make it.

Blue Eyes White Dragon prediction: 4%
Noms: Steve x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
I'm gonna abstain from today and just nominate/predict

Agumon Prediction: 3.55%

Nominations
Endou Mamoru x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Lip
Chance: 2% - Nintendo actually had so little faith in the marketing of Panel de Pon’s characters here in the west that they turned it into a Super Mario World 2 spin-off when they localized it. I also can’t help but feel that if we do get a puzzle rep, it will be Arle Nadja from the multi-million copy selling Puyo Puyo franchise which is a far more famous puzzle title than the sort lived Panel de Pon.
Want: 10%

Agumon preduction: 4%

Nominations: Eevee x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Lip

Panel de Pon has been represented in smash nya; with an item, and a trophy(?) nya. Lip and Panel de Pon's issue however lies in that it's pretty obscure, it's a Japanese exclusive, and faces competition from both Takamaru and Arle nya. I can see her at least nyappearing as a AT at best mew.

Want: 25%
I have nyothing nyagainst her, but I'm nyot for her either nya. I haven't played Panel de Pon and I wanya see Arle nya.

Nyominations
Eevee: x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just as a heads up I’m gonna be late w posting the calcs today.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
But seriously, all of the characters I've wanted to rate have already been rated (or are about to be rated). If anyone needs help with a character, just let me know.
I'd also be willing to upvote anyone really wants to see graded before the trailer kicks in. Once we have all that sweet, new info, the context of RTC is going to change for good.

Lip

Chance: 21%
If Sakurai really cares about her particularly, then she's got a better position than most other characters in her grouping (that's to say, retro one-shots with commendable-enough gameplay yet no really-impactful legacy). Otherwise, she just has it bad - hardly any support of consequence, an ill-defined moveset, and competition from a certain Puyo popper. Being a Nintendo property should make it easier for her to get in, but being mostly forgotten makes it a lot harder for her too.

Want: 20%
This is kind of unfair considering that I jumped onto the Arle supportwagon about a year back or so. Most folks want Lip because they have a history with Panel de Pon/Puzzle League, and that's respectable. For me, though, it's kind of a question as to which of the two flowery puzzle-gaming magical heroines gets in, if either gets in at all. Nintendo properties always have it much easier to get in than third parties do, but the two are similar enough that the inclusion of either would better define Sakurai's priorities.

Predictions:
Agumon: 8%

Nominations:
Papyrus x2
Viridi x3

Last edited:
Lip

best chance is being a surprise pick in the exact same scenario as Duck hunt. . .except without being so absurdly popular AND iconic.

Want:1%
My greatest memory of Lip is when i played melee as a kid and I assumed Lip's stick was a Zelda item back when I didn't know anything about videogames. My greatest memory of the character is about thinking they were something else. RIP

Would rather have Arle Nadja. . .and my entire experience with her is the Puyo Puyo tetris demo.

Noms: Viewtiful Joe x5
I have nothing to nominate so I may as well give some Red Hot Help
:061:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Lip
Chances: 3%
Her flower thingamabob has been consistently in Smash but I'm not sure if that really helps her much. Also, not being a really big icon hurts a lot and Lip is owned by Intelligent systems, who I doubt would ever want to add their non-Fire Emblem properties as a playable character anyway, they're kinda dead set on promoting Fire Emblem at all costs.

Want: Abstain
I haven't played Panel de Pon and I have never played a game with Lip in it.

Predictions: Agumon 5%
Nominations: Gooey x 5

Also, a bit off-topic, but what are we going to do if we happen to learn of EVERY character in Smash Switch at E3? Rate trophies? Music? Where we think characters will end up on the tier list 6 months after the game releases?

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There’s no chance we’re gonna learn the entire roster in one go. That’s not the way Sakurai likes to do it. Most fighting games don’t do that either. It’s the most basic advertising tactic for fighting games; to keep the game in people’s minds, you spread out the reveals. There’s also bound to be secret characters, they don’t usually reveal those.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Lip:
Chance: 1% She's Japanese only, which really hurts her chances. Yes, her game is popular in Japan, but she keeps getting painted over in other regions. It's sad, as her design would make her an easy fit otherwise.

Want: 25% She's not really my cup of tea, but her fans would be happy. In addition, a puzzle-game is a genre we haven't seen as a playable character, so she would at least be somewhat interesting.

Nominations: Concept: Wars character x5

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think the issue is that Lip's wand being a weapon is that it's her only weapon. You keep going back to Ness who has psychic powers and a yoyo as well. His baseball bat is literally one move. Lip's wand =/= Ness's Baseball bat unless you think her main weapon would only be used for one move. Also generic baseball =/= a unique wand.
Well, again, the argument is that Lip can't be in Smash if her main weapon is an item which is ridiculous because the baseball bat IS Ness's main weapon in the game he's from and is also an item. The fact that it only gets used for one move doesn't change the fact that it is considered his main weapon. And the point is that Lip's wand being an item doesn't exclude her from being in the game in the exact same way that Ness's bat being an item doesn't exclude him.

I'm not seeing the issue here. If Lip's wand was only used for one of her attacks then would it be okay for her to be in the game, by your criteria? We've established that Lip has magical powers and offensive capabilities that she merely uses her wand to cast. She could theoretically cast spells without her wand like the rest of her fairy friends do but this is all pointless conjecture. The point is you're not barred from being in the game just because your main weapon is an item. What about Dedede's hammer, Fox and Falco's laser guns and Bowser's fire breath? All of those have item equivalents. You're probably going to say that they're functionally different but that really doesn't matter because the point is their main weapons are available as items. Lip may be able to do things with her wand that the others can't, and if she gets in there's nothing stopping them from just removing her wand as an item or giving her own wand more unique attributes. If she picked up a wand item maybe she'd be able to dual wield the wands the same way Dedede dual wields the hammers when he grabs one.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Lip

Chance: 14%

While her series was never released in the West, it does have that massive Japanese popularity and she got referenced in Animal Crossing of all things. But nonetheless I feel Sakurai is holding back his love of the franchise and addition too competition with other retros.

Want: 80%

More the merrier, Panel De Pon does need far more love and so does LIp. Fairies are cute and kickbutt.

Prediction for Agumon: 4%

Nominations - Tsubasa Oribe x10

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Lip

Chance: 9%

Sakurai is quite adamant on adding characters who are from Japan only series (Look at Donbe and formerly Takamaru) and she could had been added a long time ago for someone from a series Sakurai praises alot. On the bright side, Animal Crossing was nice enough to have a mode and costume after her. Though that could not be enough to make her a lock.

Want: 60%

I'm plain neutral about her and Panel De Pon. But if it means more puzzle fighters, then I am all for her.

Prediction for Agumon: 3%

Nomination: Ayumi Tachibana x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lip

5% Chance

The series could be interesting for a retro choice, as the puzzle league concept has been around for a while. However, what hurts Lip the most is her irrelevance in the west and the fact her series has been dormant. Also, it seems more recent panel de pon releases have strayed away from the magical aspect.

100% Want

A plant based fighter with puzzle gimmicks seems cool. I would prefer Arle but both are cool. Also her fans deserve a bone.

Nominating Excitebiker x 5

DAY OVER CALCS INCOMING

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Lip

11.34% Chance
47.18% Want

Solid scores. Top 25 in want is not so bad right?

@Graizen has his day finally. For real Agumon got knocked off of the schedule two weeks in a row. Well he is here, and it is finally time. Rate Agumon in chance and want. Also please predict the scores for Dark Samus and Sylux.

andimidna andimidna gets noms, this one was hard to check as a few people were super close. 5X noms

Also I am going to update the first page tomorrow, since I am so tired.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Oops. Missed Lip's day.

Agumon chances: 8%
Being owned by Namco is an davantage over other third-parties, and Digimon has an history of rivalry with Pokémon thus the appeal of having both in the same crossover. I'm however not convinced that Digimon stands out enough among third-party candidates to make it in Smash over others.

Agumon want: 13%
I was into Digimon at some point in my childhood, but it's been a long time since I have no interest anymore about it.

Dark Samus prediction: 3.58%
Sylux prediction: 13.88%

And if I miss any other day before the E3 period I'll stop doing predictions.

Nominating:
Returning fighter: Corrin x4
Returning game mode: Smash Run x1

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Agumon
Chance: 5%
Want: 0%

I always found Digimon to be kind of creepy dollar store knockoffs of Pokemon. The virtual pets were super cool and I liked them, but the actual character designs themselves had something off-putting about them that I just couldn't place my finger on. Agumon in particular is very creepy to me. Too humanoid and his head's too big, he looks like a ****** in a cheap kaiju costume. At least put in his more unique-looking and imposing Greymon form. I'd be more interested in that, to be honest.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Agumon:

Chance: 0.33%
A third party has to be something of an icon to get into Smash Bros. Frankly, Agumon isn't even in the ballpark of Snake and Bayonetta, let alone Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Ryu, and Cloud. Plus, even if we were to get a second Bandai Namco representative, it would likely be Heihachi, Solaire, or Lloyd.

Want: Abstain
I know essentially nothing of the franchise.

Predictions:
Dark Samus - 10%
Sylux - 19.6%

Nominations: Historical Character x5

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Agumon
Chance: 10% -
He's owned by Namco who have their foot in the door for Smash, and there's always the rivalry between Pokemon and Digimon that has kept both franchises alive. That said, Heihachi was considered for Smash and Lloyd was definitely on Sakurai's radar too, so both have a better chance of making it in.
Want: 5% - I always hated Digimon. Never knew why, but Pokemon was where I was at

Prediction: Dark Samus
Chance: 43.72%
Want: 69.32%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
To the people offering to help vote for characters, I wouldn't mind some help with DeMille :)

-----

Agumon

Digimon has never been a huge series. It's got its fans, and they still release new games every now and then, but... 9 times out of 10, when I hear about Digimon in conversation, it's a conversation about Pokémon competitors! I almost never hear anyone talk about the series itself, let alone its characters. Agumon is the mascot of the series, so if Digimon were to get a character, it'd probably be him... but I can't see Digimon getting a character.

Want: 1%
So I'm not really interested in Agumon itself. However, Digimon as a whole would be a somewhat funny inclusion - people still argue over whether or not Digimon is a Pokémon rip-off, and it would be kind of funny to see that rivalry come into Smash! Allowing a Pokémon and a Digimon to duke it out for supremacy would be a sight to behold.

-----

Dark Samus chance prediction: 14.56%
Sylux chance prediction: 16.59%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Agumon

While Digimon's still an ongoing series since it's getting some new games, I think the era of it being one of Pokémon's biggest rival has faded with the new-blood rival in Yo-Kai Watch. Agumon's also a pretty rare request for a fighter, so I don't think popularity could give it strong chances.

Want: 5%
While I do have childhood memories of Digimon and even played that Digimon Smash Bros game "Digimon Rumble Arena 2," I don't personally really care or want a Digimon in Smash Bros. If anything I'd rather something like a "Digimon Rumble Arena" game at something akin to FighterZ quality or a simple arena beat-em-up to satisfy any want I have for a Digimon fighting game. That said, Omnimon's an awesome design, even if I didn't watch that much of Digimon by then. And yeah, this isn't really about Agumon at all. Digimon fell off my radar a long time ago.

Nominations:
Yu Narukami X5

Predictions for Dark Samus: 6.93%
Sylux: 14.21%

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Agumon

Chance: 2%

His big problem is simply all the competition from other 3rd parties and other Namco characters he has to face. Heihachi was considered so he's likely the highest priority for a second Namco rep. And Lloyd having a Mii costume could mean Sakurai also thought about him as well. Then there are also characters like Solaire and Klonoa who seem to be more popular.

Moveset might also be an issue. I can't see him digivolving for anything else other than his Final Smash. (Greymon's a bit on the big side) All Agumon himself can do to my knowledge is using claw attacks and a fireball.

Still, Digimon is mostly known for rivaling with Pokémon. Having a game where Pikachu and Agumon can officially fight against each oher might be a concept Sakurai likes.

Want: 50%

Very little experience with Digimon, but having Pokémon and Digimon officially clash does sound kinda neat.

Dark Samus: 10.73%
Sylux: 16.56%

Nominations: Leon Kennedy x5
Giving up on Bowser/DK/Diddy voices since we'll likely find that out at E3.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Agumon

The rivalry between Pokemon and Digimon was huge back in the day, plus Namco has their foot in the door with Pac-Man. Aside from that, though, there's nothing justifying his inclusion.

Want: 25%
I never cared for Digimon. But, I can't lie; I want to see Agumon and Pikachu fight.

Dark Samus prediction: 25%

Sylux prediction: 30%

Nominations:
Viewtiful Joe x5

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Agumon:

Chance:
2% - Unfortunately Digimon is becoming more of a relic of the past by the day, while it once was able to take on Pokémon, even when that franchise was at its absolute biggest, Digimon is now a pretty small series that only really appeals to the nostalgia of those who grew up with it, and it can't even begin to make a dent in its competition. It has tried several things to reinvent itself and even distance itself from that competition, but it just hasn't taken off, neither in the west or in Japan. It's a series that is so obviously past its best days, and it'll never recapture them again, so I can't imagine either Sakurai or Namco would have much interest in seeing it in Smash.

Want: 70% - Although I might have sounded quite negative before, it's only because I've actually been a big fan of Digimon, it's a series I haven't ever quite let go of since my childhood as I feel it has, or at least had, a lot of great qualities. It's not what it once was, especially not since they've been trying to reimagine it to appeal to an older audience, and pretty much none of the designs past the original series do much for me, but all of that doesn't stop me from wishing the best for it, and Agumon in Smash would do huge things for the series. Only reason it isn't higher is because there are Digimon I like more than Agumon, he's certainly the best choice for a representative, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually play as him, I'm more or a Tentomon kind of guy myself.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This one is rather unique. Digimon was rather well-known for being a massive competitor to Pokemon way back and had become a successful franchise. Those people would match-up Agumon against Pikachu easily, and I can easily see this being a motivation for Sakurai to add the character, as well as influence a large number of fans to vote Agumon on the ballot. But, the problem with his inclusion is that he is a Namco Bandai character. Out of all of the Namco Bandai characters Sakurai has considered, Heihachi was one of the few considered. Sakurai had already done a fast process of elimination on which Namco character he would choose long ago back in Smash 4 roster planning. Whichever Bandai Namco character gets chosen, it will likely be a special case scenario, just like Pac-Man. I highly doubt Agumon would have been one of the choices that was seriously considered back in Smash 4. Heihachi would be picked over Agumon if the team were to look for candidates for 2nd Namco character again.

x5 Balloon Fighter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agumon

Chance: 30%
Want:15%

A rather generous score in chance as, while Digimon lost a part of its momentum nowadays, Agumon is still a huge pop-culture icon to the point to be considered as :4pikachu:'s :4sonic:.
Other than that, the idea of him being in Smash doesn't appeal me that much.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Dark Samus prediction: 33.71%
Sylux prediction: 28.81%

Top Bottom