• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Qbby

Chance: 30%
I could actually see him having a decent shot, especially if Sakurai is adamant about no new Kirby characters. He also got an amiibo, so I'm sure that helps his case a little.

Unfortunately, HAL is supposedly done with his series now, so that could be a problem preventing him from being playable.

Want: 50%
I'm indifferent. Don't have anything against the guy, but I'm not rooting for him either.

Spyro prediction: 14.4%

Nominations: Mipha x5

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Qbby

Chance: 15%

I don't think he's very likely. Box Boy is a cute little series, but in my opinion, he doesn't really have much potential for Smash. His games revolve around forming shapes with boxes to solve puzzles, and I don't know that there's a lot to work with there. I know the third game has some new abilities, but it seems like his whole repertoire would just be creating different boxes, without much else. Sakurai usually chooses characters that will have a unique and fun moveset, and I'm not sure that Qbby really fits that! Qbby, to me, feels like a perfect candidate for an Assist Trophy - he usually only uses one ability, his basic box creation - so why not use that?

Want: 0%
Qbby really doesn't seem to have much moveset potential. As I said above, as a character that mostly uses a single ability, he's perfect as an Assist Trophy - I don't really think there's enough to him to warrant him being playable. I've read some of the concepts that Qbby fans have made, including his support thread here on Smashboards, and most of it is still just making boxes in different ways. I haven't played much of his series, so I don't have any personal connection to him, and he doesn't seem to have anything especially unique to make his addition worth it. So would I be upset if he got in? No, the Smash team has always been good at making unique movesets, including for characters without much to work with, like the Ice Climbers! At the same time, I think there are many characters that would be more fun to work with, with more abilities to pull from.

-----

Spyro chance prediction: 26.87%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
oh am i too late to use my nominations? if not id like to use them for musashi the main character in sushi striker

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
at last. the time has come... it's finally here..... let it be known that may 17th shall henceforth be known as QBBY DAY!!

*ahem* anyway, let's get on with the show.

QBBY!

Chance: 40% - I know what you're all thinking, "really? that high?" and yes, that high. sure he may be a box (and a boy) but Qbby actually has a LOT going for him. his series has been quite well received, he is relevant and recent enough to be known to Sakurai and to have started to make a name for himself, without being so recent that he is "too new" like some view Springman or Rex to be. Starring in 3 games he has a pretty decent resume for a new IP. and he continues to be pushed by HAL making cameos in several Kirby games, as well as part time UFO. he even got his own amiibo! and there are some hints floating around about a new game in the series. Plus, Sakurai loves unconventional oddball choices (ice climbers, Duck Hunt Duo, Mr Game & Watch, R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, Bowser Jr in the Koopa clown car) so he may actually find something appealing about the little Box. he has a lot more moveset potential than one would think, thanks to how much he can do with his boxes. and the special boxes he got in his 3rd game. really he just.... "ticks all the BOXES" but I won't rate him higher than 40% because despite all this. he isn't SUPER well known or popular, so that may hurt him a little.

Want: 100% - It's just such a unique and unexpected idea for a character. it's so simple, but he could be such a complex fighter, utilizing his boxes to attack, defend and manipulate the stage in various ways. I really think he'd make a fantastic addition to the game and he is in my top 3 most wanted.

also, everyone who makes any sort of box pun in there comments gets a like from me :p

for those of you that are choosing to abstain or are rating him low because you don't know him well enough or don't see what he'd be capable of. I encourage you to come have a look at his support thread, I've done my best to create a very comprehensive Opening post. and several interesting ideas have been discussed in the thread too. (yes this is a shameless plug, but if it will help Qbby's rating and spread knowledge of Qbby and his series, I am happy to be shameless https://smashboards.com/threads/an-outside-of-the-box-idea-qbby-for-smash-support-thread.451824/

prediction for Spyro: 27.8%

Nominations
Black Mage x2
Sable Prince x2
Steve x1 @Cycrum since we're both supporting rather boxy characters. i figure I'll throw a nomination Steve's way for you.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Box Boy is too minor of a Nintendo franchise for me to think Qbby will be playable in Smash. I could see HAL Laboratory pushing for him, but as far the character will go, he will most likely be rejected for playability and be an Assist Trophy in the best case scenario.

Looks like BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 's in luck! Tom Nook squeezes in just about to be scheduled!

18/05: Spyro (Spyro)
19/05: Mimikyu (Pokemon)
20/05: Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
21/05: KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
22/05: Azura (Fire Emblem)
23/05: Sans (Undertale)
24/05: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing)

YEAH! Super surprised that he made on top! Now that I do not need to nominate Tom Nook anymore. What else was in the list of things I wanted to nominate? Hmmm:

Simon Belmont
Tom Nook
Balloon Fighter
Transformation characters
Octolings
Funky Kong
Hanafuda character
Mr. Resetti
Funky Kong is being handled this week alongside Tom Nook, with some interesting characters like Sans. I think I want to nominate transformation characters. I want to get to Balloon Fighter at some point, but with recent leaks about Simon, Ridley, and no cut characters, I would like to prioritize transformation characters first. If you would like to help nominate, feel free to do so.

The leak and the ratings this week are seriously firing me up my excitement for speculation.

Nominations:

x5 Transformation characters

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
also, everyone who makes any sort of box pun in there comments gets a like from me :p
Don't give me ideas:awesome:

Chance: 5%

Based on the stuff packaged inside the Qbby thread, I can see that this blockhead does have some potential, but I'm still not seeing it. He checks all of the boxes that the Tetrominoes do, but is left in the same area: moveset potential does take a lot of thinking outside the box to even get ideas for. Sure, you could always have autogeneration of more pop-up boxes, but that is tough to translate into a workable boxing match.

Now, if we were going to talk about potential assists, there's something. A character who could build random blocks and platforms while moving around would be a perfect example of what we get from assists. It'd be crate for some characters who need more platforms, or a block for others - look at Helirin (or Hererin, as Melee spelled it) in Brawl. If I were to get on my soapbox for a bit: I think we should be considering more characters as assists or even some more stage concepts (Tetris would be a perfect stage). Even if Qbby's not fighter material, he can still prove that it's hip to be a square.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to burn this post.

Prediction for Spyro: 9.3%
Nom: something from Skyrim x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
(finally, someone I actually care about...)

Qbby

Chance: 35%
Qbby has a decent amount of things going in his favor. The BoxBoy! trilogy sold well (to my knowledge), the character in popular in Japan, and he has been marketed alongside Kirby numerous times, showing that HAL really likes the little box. On top of that, Qbby was a character Nintendo themselves decided to make an amiibo for, something they don’t often do for small time characters.
The developer of the BoxBoy! series has also stated that he is interested in continuing the series on Switch, so he stil has some hope for further relevancy.

I’m not saying Qbby is a shoo-in, but he’s got better chances than a lot of people think. I could easily seem him squeezing in as an unlockable character.

Want: 95%
He’s just so charming! I like his games a lot, and I think Sakurai could make him a really interesting fighter. I would be very plesantly suprised to see Qbby become playable.

Noms:
Tingle x5

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Qbby
Chance: 10%
Yeah I guess he's possible?

But literally why?

Spyro: 44.3%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
qbby

chance 15%
unique character with the same postions as getting another kirby rep but the only issue I see he just seems to generic to come up with a moveset however is not known and has no planned games in the future as the last game was called bye bye box boy but at least he is popular in Japan

want 50%
wouldn't mind seeing him but not rooting for him

spyro prediction at 48.3%

nominating labo man x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Qbby
Chance- 11%
Want 5%
I definetly think he'll be an assist trophy but not a fighter.

Spyro prediction- 38.75%

Noms-
Klonoa x 4
Lip x 1

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Qbby

Chance: 24%
His chance is about as good as any other niche handheld-only franchise from the past decade. He'd make a fine Assist Trophy, guaranteed, but to be a playable character despite having no way to hold things practically might be reaching. Still, he constant exposure is more than a little suspicious.

Want: 20%
It's like HAL wanted to make their own indie game, but they forget they're still one of the corporations that indie games separate themselves from. I don't have anything against the box boy personally, but I wouldn't say he has much of a personality to begin with either.

Prediction:
Spyro: 13%

Nominations:
Papyrus x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Looks like I missed Simon Belmont's day. Oops.

Qbby chances: 8%
Doesn't seem like a huge series, sounds like Dillon or Starfy caliber to me: most likely Assist Trophy material.

Qbby want: 0%
Don't know, doesn't interest me. I know it sounds close-minded, but I have better things to do that digging about characters I barely know about.

Spyro precition: 13.85%

Nominating:
Returning game mode: Smash Run x4
Returning fighter: Corrin x1

I doubt Smash Run will be able to be rated before E3 so just in case Smash Run is revealed during that fateful day I also give nominations to someone else to minimize the risks of having contributed to nothing. inb4 both Smash Run and Corrin revealed at E3

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Kyubey

Chance - 1%

Don't really think he has much of a shot. He falls into a similar spot as other eShop characters like Mallo or that Badge Bunny thing. He seems like a character who would be prime Assist Trophy fodder, though.

Want - ABSTAIN

Never played his games and I'm not really sure how he would fight. Although, creating new platforms could make for an extremely unique fighter.

Nominations:
[Mode] Smash Run x4
[Veteran] Corrin x1

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Double abstain

------

Predictions

Spyro (Spyro): 33.69%

No comment.

------

Nominations

Corrin (Fire Emblem): x5

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Qbby

Chance - 10%
Want - 25%

I've played Boxboy and I think it's a fun puzzle game. However, I don't think he has much potential as a playable fighter. He has a much greater chance of being an assist trophy IMO.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Qbby

Chance: 20%

If he isn't playable, his chance of being an assist trophy is extremely high. I ultimately think that will be the spot he will be given, and BoxBoy! isn't quite as big as other unrepresented franchises. However, HAL seems to like him, the timing is perfect, and he even got his own amiibo. Qbby honestly might be a contender for one of our surprise fighters.

Want: 55%

While I think just about every character can be made into a good fighter, part of me feels like he'd work a bit better as an assist trophy. At the same time he's from a cool looking and unrepresented franchise that I'm very interested in. If he does show up, I'd probably end up liking his inclusion.

Spyro prediction: 11.48%

Nominations: Lip x5

Tails is probably too low to make it before E3 so I'll nominate something higher up for now and come back to him later.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Qbby!

Chance: 35%
He's actually a dark horse candidate that I can see getting in the game, similar to Dillon. Both are multi-game digital titles who had a physical release in at least one region (correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bye Bye Boxboy have a physical release in Japan?). Sakurai doesn't seem to ignore digital titles, as Dillon, despite not being playable in Smash 4, got pretty highly promoted for an Assist Trophy, with Sakurai kinda making a big deal about him in his Pic of the Day. If not playable, I can see Qbby being a shoo in for an Assist. Fighting style wise, a style centered around shifting his blocks to different shapes could be made, like some fan ideas for a Tetromino I've seen floating around for years. Though since (once again, correct me if I'm wrong) he can only make four block chains, he can have an increased number in Smash.

This is gonna be a weird descriptor, but I basically see him fighting like "a living accordion."

Want: 80%
I've always wanted to try Boxboy. Seems like a charming little series. Plus Qbby's adorable. I'd welcome him with open arms. You could say he...ticks all the boxes for me. Might check out his thread.

Predicting a 13% for Spyro
Nominating K. Rool x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Qbby
Chance - 18%
He reeks of being the new Starfy
Want - 0%
Too simple and boring of a design for me

Nominations - 5x Pikmin Newomcer

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Qbby

Chance: 25%
I think he actually has a decent shot. He's cute, has a unique gimmick(which I've accidentally stolen for a move set for someone else totally forgetting Qbby also does it until today, d'oh!), got an amiibo(which amuses me) and is probably the quickest 3D model to make in the history of Smash :p

Want: 65%
I'm not clamouring for Box Boy but I really like his unique gimmick; imagine trapping your opponent with that box snake body and restricting their movement with stage manipulation? That's an incredibly useful tool and alone would make Qbby one of the more exciting ideas for me.

It's a damn shame I wanted a similar ability for Captain Toad though with a Pull Switch stage manipulation ability which sullies my score a tiny bit( for the little box, but I still far prefer his concept to many of the more popular suggestions on this site!

Spyro prediction: 18%

Nomination:
Meowth X 5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Qbby Chance: 25%

Being from a digital-only series via the E-Shop does not bode well for him, if Dillon in the last game is anything to go by. He would seem more likely as assist trophy material because of that. Still, he seems well liked and promoted by the companies involved with his franchise, even getting his own amiibo. Maybe he'll break some new ground. I think he's one of the best possible candidates to do so.

Want: 60%

The concepts I've heard for him are genuinely clever and unique, so if such a concept was put to use for the character, I'd happily welcome him in Smash. Plus, the character is simply too adorable for me to say no.

Spyro Prediction: 23%

Nominations: Tetra x5

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 30%
He's got 3 titles and I have seen something about them wanting to continue the series plus he even got his own amiibo. Only in Japan but still, he got one. Plus with his latest game he has a good bit of moveset potential. The thing that holds him back is being eshop only meaning he isn't super well known. Luckily for him, popularity doesn't seem to be the biggest priority for adding characters so he has a little bit of a shot.

Want: 100%
I learned about Qbby from his support thread and decided to give his games a shot. I loved them and would be happy to see him join Smash. I need to throw some boxes at Nintendo's elite. Plus Qbby getting to fight with his hero Kirby would be awesome.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Qbby

Cahnce and Want: ABSTAINED

Spyro Prediction: 13.44%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Qbby

Chance - 12.5% - HAL labs seems to love the little guy, and got his own amiibo. While it is true, sadly I don't think he has the star-power or inherent interest to grab Sakurai's attention. There are definitely bigger character out there, and I think he's perfect for the Assist Trophy role.

Want - 55% - I like the little guy, but I don't have any great desire to see him playable. Assist Trophy is perfect for him, though, alongside the other new HAL labs guy.

Prediction

Spyro - 11.24% - I think the remakes came too late to consider.

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Qbby

Chances and Want: 0% - Who? Never heard of this character until now

Predictions on Spyro: 12.5%

Nominations:

Gengar x4
Zeroara

slambros

Smash Ace
Qbby

Chance: 5%
His series is fairly popular. That's really all that's going for him, unless HAL Laboratories decides to ask Sakurai for a favor. He has a better chancr as an assist trophy.

I don't think he'd make for a good Smash character. But I understand the appeal.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x5

:171:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Qbby

has a slim chance of happening, but not by much. Has a much higher chance at being an assist.

Want: 20%
I don't particularly have any feelings for him, but he might be cool.

Nominations: Louie x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Qbby

From what I'm gathering here, he's from a successful hal game, got an amiibo, and is popular in Japan nya. Seems possible, but more likely to be an AT nya.

Want: 85%
Ok. Who the fluff is this little guy nya!?! And where the hell was I when this nyadorable box thing came into existences nya!? I should be tortured and executed for my ignorance nya! And while I'd probably enjoy it a little bit too much, don't save me nya!:nifty:

Nyominations
Eevee: x5

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Qbby

Chance: 25% - You know, this lil guy's got a respectable shot. He's got a three+ game franchise going, has an amiibo, HAL loves him, and his series is pretty popular across the big pond. I'll echo the idea that he's likely to end up being an assist trophy, probably akin to Brawl's Helirin. He'd make a four-block shape out of himself that'd act as an extra platform, then wander the stage, changing up the battlefield.

Want: 55% - He's cute, which gives him some minor bonus points, but I'm for the most part indifferent to him. Not opposed, but won't lose sleep over.

Predictions

Spyro: 13.13% - Crash had more fortunate timing for his revival, though both make great DLC options.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Qbby
Chances: 20%
Dillon would probably get in 1st and I do not see Nintendo dipping into a 2nd smaller franchise right now.

Want: 25%
Have not play his game so I do not really care either way.

Fun Fact: I originally thought we were going to be discussing Qbert until I read some of the comments which seemed off and then I googled and saw my error.

Nomination: Linkle X5

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Qbby
20% Chance
I think he is just really obscure and doesn't seem really important
10% Want
If someone made a cool moveset then maybe it'd go up but for now, the character serves no importance to me

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Qbby

Chance: 15%
3ds eshop only. Though HAL did create this IP it is kind of niche. I do see him getting in as an assist or only as a Joke Character.

Want: 70%
I do support this cubed crusader. He would make it very interesting to play as and against.

Nomination Django x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Qbby
I see him more as an assist trophy.
I really like the game, but I don't want this boy in Smash.

Spyro Prediction: 11.5%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
QBBY

Chance & Want: Abstain

- I’m unfamiliar with the character so I’ll abstain this time.

Prediction

Spyro: 10.2%

Nomination

Neptune (Neptunia Series) x5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Companion Cube

To put it bluntly, he's the new Starfy. Somehow, I can see it happening, and the boxboy does have a surprising amount of factors going in his favor, but I still don't think he's terribly likely.

Want: 5%
I'll admit his design's charming, but this guy being playable in Smash would be the utter epitome of moveset asspulling that I hate so much. For all the puns that are being made about it in this thread, he most certainly does not "tick all the boxes." I'd much prefer (and, frankly, very much expect) him to take on a more befitting role as an Assist Trophy.

Spyro Prediction: 10.92%

Nominating Sylux x5 (Getting this guy back in the top 7 before E3 if it kills me)

Last edited:
Top Bottom