• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Lip

Chance: 20%
This is low for numerous reasons. Low popularity in the west, unsure of the smash team need of a puzzle rep(when Arle is more revelent... Unfortunatly). And the lip stick item being in smash game since day one. So unless the sakurai and the dev team decide to add in lip for a puzzle rep/ retro rep, shes reletively low.
Want: 80%
That being said i want her in the game in some way. Not with just a item and song, but to show up in some way in this game. Be it playable, assist trophy, stage background, or a normal trophy.

Prediction:
Agumon 3.2%

Noms:
Sable Prince x 2
Tora and poppi x 3

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Lip

Chance - 1%

She's obscure as hell. Even when Panel de Pon has been localized to the west, she's never been part of the picture, being replaced with Yoshi, Pokemon characters, and Animal Crossing characters respectively.

Although, considering she's pretty much the only puzzle character Nintendo has, if Sakurai really wanted to make a puzzle-based moveset, she'd be the first pick, most likely.

Want - 60%

She'd be cool. Considering how big the puzzle game genre is, it's kind of surprising it doesn't have a character already (unless Dr. Mario counts). I'd love to see a puzzle-based fighter in Smash, and representing more franchises is never a bad thing, especially ones that have technically been in Smash since Melee.

Nominations:
Sable Prince x2
Tora and Poppi x3

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Lip's Lip's Stick

Chance: 15%
She's relatively obscure, and Takamaru is slated to be the next Retro rep. That said, she's always on Sakurai's radar since her stick is in the game 3 times now and he called PdP a masterpiece, and AC Puzzle League update for New Leaf is a good sign that neither Lip nor her series has been forgotten.
Want: 85%
Ever since Brawl introduced me to her theme and backstory to Lip's Stick I've been a big supporter of the little flower fairy. I mean, she's a magical girl with flower power, what's not to like?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lip:

Chance: 3%
Seems the Lip's Stick will remain the only representation for this series as it has been the case for three installments now. Nothing has really changed between the release of Smash 4 and this game to have her in Sakurai's thoughts. The SNES doesn't seem to be considered retro either - with characters from that category added from the NES era (or in Game & Watch's case, before). There's still so much more NES characters to consider too. IF Sakurai wants to add a SNES character, then she has a chance but not exactly a big one.

Want: Abstain
No attachment to the character. She'd be a left-field choice, but perhaps integrating the Lip Stick into a move set could prove fruitful.

Agumon: 3.8%

Nominating Ninten x2, Lara Croft x3

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lip

Chance: 0%
Takamaru's whole reason for exclusion was being an unknown retro to the west. Lip has this but to an even WORSE degree, where her game did make it westward but had her and the rest of the fairies removed from it in favor of things like Pokémon and Yoshi, IIRC.

As well, Lip's Stick being an item may hamper her odds. If we see the item return, she has no shot.

"But the Screw Attack!" you might say. Samus was added in Smash BEFORE the Screw Attack item, and the Screw Attack isn't her main weapon, her arm cannon is. Meanwhile Lip's main weapon IS the Lip's Stick.

Want: 0%
The list of retro characters I'd prefer over her is massive. Muddy Mole, Mach Rider, Takamaru, Excite Biker, Balloon Fighter, Ossan...hell, even some third party retros. Frogger or Agent Otto would be neat. Lip just isn't nearly as interesting to me.

Predicting a 4.5 for Agumon.
Nominating K. Rool x5 (anyone wanna help me out here? :p)

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
As well, Lip's Stick being an item may hamper her odds.
"But the Screw Attack!" you might say. Samus was added in Smash BEFORE the Screw Attack item, and the Screw Attack isn't her main weapon, her arm cannon is. Meanwhile Lip's main weapon IS the Lip's Stick.
I still say screw attack because it proves why the item can't disprove Lip which is that one attack doesn't equal an entire character. The fire flower didn't stop Bowser or Charizard. The bat didn't stop Ness. And Screw Attack didn't stop Samus. Even if the wand is her main weapon you can't use it to the degree a full character would nor would all her moves need the wand so no it doesn't hamper her odds.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I still say screw attack because it proves why the item can't disprove Lip which is that one attack doesn't equal an entire character. The fire flower didn't stop Bowser or Charizard. The bat didn't stop Ness. And Screw Attack didn't stop Samus. Even if the wand is her main weapon you can't use it to the degree a full character would nor would all her moves need the wand so no it doesn't hamper her odds.
There's no way they'd make her main item a weapon if she were on the roster. It'd be like having the Monado as an item before Shulk got in.

The Screw Attack was added after Samus was, and it's a power up, not her main weapon. If the Lip's Stick returns as an item, Lip has no shot at Smash.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Lip Chance: 0%
Not happening anytime soon, if ever. If Takamaru (someone who was actually somewhat requested, even in the west I might add) was excluded for western obscurity, then so will Lip. Aside from Mike Jones and (ugh) Blue Bowser this honestly is probably the least likely character we've even rated so far.

Want: 35%

Agumon Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Gengar X5 (would like some help bringing this one up to the top nine)

:094:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
There's no way they'd make her main item a weapon if she were on the roster. It'd be like having the Monado as an item before Shulk got in.

The Screw Attack was added after Samus was, and it's a power up, not her main weapon. If the Lip's Stick returns as an item, Lip has no shot at Smash.
We are just going to have to disagree mate because the way I see it doing two attacks with the thing still isn't the same thing as a character with like 17 different attacks. There is no issue with it still being an item. Heck they could add the Monado as an item but it would either just be exactly like the beam sword or it would give characters a counter which still wouldn't equal all the ways Shulk uses the Monado in Smash.

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Lip

Chance and Want: Abstain
I don't know nearly enough about this character to warrant a rating for her. She seems interesting, though.

Prediction:
Agumon: 4.68%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x3
Lara Croft x2

If anyone needs help with a character, just let me know.
If you'd like to help with Steve or Lara Croft (or anyone else you think will bring an interesting and not one-sided discussion), that would be very appreciated!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I personally do not view Lip as a retro since she had a recent entry in 2009. In the same way that Starfy, Isaac, and Saki have not had a new main entry for the respective franchises in years. Not only will Puzzle League need a new entry from Intelligent Systems, but also bring back the "Panel de Pon" as the "primary" style again, AND be super successful as well. I am unsure that it will happen, unless a surge of successful, critically acclaimed, magical girl, Japanese puzzle games come to the Switch and heavily influence Intelligent Systems to revive Panel de Pon. We sorta have that with Puyo Puyo Tetris becoming an eSport in Japan now in 2018, but I am not sure if that is something IS will bat an eye on to make the connection with them likely being occupied with Fire Emblem right now. Lip's time to be in Smash is not now.

x5 Balloon Fighter

Last edited:

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Lip

Chance: 10%
She's got an item in the game. That's basically like Little Mac.

Want: 5%
She's a cutie pie.

Nominations:
Dragonite x5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
You want a third party puzzle franchise represented in Smash before Nintendo's own flagship puzzle franchise? This is completely backwards and illogical to me.
yeah? What's illogical about it? I have more connection to Puyo Puyo. Plus, Puyo Puyo is bigger than Panel de Pon is in both Japan and the US (mainly cause Lip is non-existent in the US.)

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Lip
Chance: 4%
If she didn't get the last couple of games, I don't see why she would now. I'd have boosted her xhances if she had a game (even a Japanese one) since Smash 4 was released. But I'm pretty sure she didn't.
Want: 55%
She's the best character to represent puzzle games. Better than Doc and better than a random Tetris piece. Her moveset would be really interesting too.

Predictions for the Digimon Character
Chance: 10%
Want: 14%

Nominations:
Barbara the Bat ×3
Slime ×2

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Lip
Chance: 0%

She suffers from a similar situation as Takamaru by being too obscure outside of Japan. Sure, the Lip's Stick exist, but I don't see people recognizing it as belonging to her. We know Takamaru was considered for Smash 4 before being turned down, but we don't know if Lip was considered. Between Lip and Takamaru, the latter has the edge to get in thanks to getting his game released in the Virtual Console, and a cameo in Nintendo Land.

Nominations
Rowlet x5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Lip
Chances: 5%
Want: 5%

Not going to lie I had to google her. Doubt a one off japan only character will make it in.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Lip:
Chance: 5% -
Sakurai is obviously aware of her existence at the very least, she represents a new genre of gaming not represented already, her design would be unique amongst the cast, and she has some popularity. But she's no Takamaru or even Balloon Fighter.
Want: 60% - As long as we get Takamaru, I don't mind adding Lip. We don't have anybody who uses flowers or fairy-related moves.

Prediction: Agumon
Chance: 16.43%
Want: 39.33%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Lip

Chance: 3%

As far as "retro" characters go (and whether or not she even counts as retro might be debatable), it's unlikely Lip would be high priority. Her series is always rebranded outside of Japan, and she isn't extremely well known here as a result; considering the far more popular Takamaru was previously rejected for potentially being too unknown in the west, that alone seems like a really strong reason for Lip not to be considered. And there are quite a few definitely retro characters that typically get more attention. All she's gotten in Smash so far is her main weapon being an item since Melee and some garbage blocks making appearances here and there, and based on her current status, I think this is how the series will continue to be represented.

Want: 90%

Panel de Pon/Puzzle League is pretty fun! I think a fighter from a classic puzzle game has potential to be very interesting and in my eyes she's easily the best choice for one. She's now my preferred choice for a retro-ish character, actually.

Agumon prediction: 8.57%

Nominations: Mach Rider x5

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
yeah? What's illogical about it? I have more connection to Puyo Puyo. Plus, Puyo Puyo is bigger than Panel de Pon is in both Japan and the US (mainly cause Lip is non-existent in the US.)
What's illogical about it is that Nintendo does not own Puyo Puyo. They own Panel de Pon.

PsychoJosh

I personally do not view Lip as a retro since she had a recent entry in 2009.
Irrelevant. "Retro" does not denote how recently a character has had a game, but how old their franchise is. Mario, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Megaman, Link, Fox, etc. are all retro at this point. Just because Mario had a recent game does not make him not a retro character.

Any character that originates from a game that is at least 20 years old is "retro". Lip fits this criteria.

I'll do you one better, how about Ness's baseball bat?

The baseball bat is still an item in Smash despite being Ness's main weapon. In Melee and 64 his Fsmash functioned almost exactly the same way the item version did. Your argument has now been completely destroyed. Good day.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Irrelevant. "Retro" does not denote how recently a character has had a game, but how old their franchise is. Mario, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Megaman, Link, Fox, etc. are all retro at this point. Just because Mario had a recent game does not make him not a retro character.

Any character that originates from a game that is at least 20 years old is "retro". Lip fits this criteria.

The baseball bat is still an item in Smash despite being Ness's main weapon. In Melee and 64 his Fsmash functioned almost exactly the same way the item version did. Your argument has now been completely destroyed. Good day.
Except the Baseball Bat in Smash is a Smash-original item, and not from EarthBound. Want proof? Read its trophy.

Try again.

PsychoJosh

Except the Baseball Bat in Smash is a Smash-original item, and not from EarthBound. Want proof? Read its trophy.
They're literally exactly the same. Ness does the exact same animation as his f-smash when he uses the item version. They even make the exact same sound effect when they land a hit. And if you're really going to argue origins, the baseball bat does not originate from either Smash nor Earthbound. It originates from baseball.

I get that you're trying to cobble your argument back together after having it smashed to little pieces but this is really just kind of sad.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 5%
Sakurai likes PDP but he also doesn't want to add characters only known in the East. While that is an incredibly dumb mindset in my opinion unless Sakurai changes his mind she will be sitting out for a while. Sadly, the West may never truly get to know her as they don't seem keen bringing it over unaltered and the series has gone dormant. Still, the only thing stopping her inclusion is not being known in the West so as soon as IS decides to make a new one and localize it or Sakurai reevaluates his stance her chances go way up. And silly things like her wand being item surely won't stop that.

Want: 80%
I checked out PDP because someone was super invested in the game and if something can inspire that kind of passion it's a disservice to yourself to not check it out. It was a really solid game and I liked the characters so I'd like her in but I have plenty of characters I want to see more.

noms: Ray x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They're literally exactly the same. Ness does the exact same animation as his f-smash when he uses the item version. They even make the exact same sound effect when they land a hit. And if you're really going to argue origins, the baseball bat does not originate from either Smash nor Earthbound. It originates from baseball.

I get that you're trying to cobble your argument back together after having it smashed to little pieces but this is really just kind of sad.
Whatever you say. :p

So how about that source on Sakurai wanting to add Lip, speaking of poorly crafted arguments?

PsychoJosh

Whatever you say. :p

So how about that source on Sakurai wanting to add Lip, speaking of poorly crafted arguments?
I'll take your concession of defeat, however passive-aggressive it may be.

And I'm ready to accept a second one from you as soon as I find the interview where he said it. I don't have it now but I will.

Also, don't conflate "poorly crafted" with "poorly sourced". They're two different things. Yours was poorly crafted, mine wasn't.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

And I'm ready to accept a second one from you as soon as I find the interview where he said it. I don't have it now but I will.

Also, don't conflate "poorly crafted" with "poorly sourced". They're two different things. Yours was poorly crafted, mine wasn't.
It's not a concession of defeat. It's a concession that I'm unable to change your mind because, frankly, you already made up your mind when you gave Lip a 70% chance score. There comes a point where using reason is fruitless.

I'm not going to argue the definition of crafted. You made an argument but didn't back it up, so it was poorly crafted. That's all I was saying.

XenothiumX

Smash Journeyman
Lip

Chance: 2%

Digimon Prediction

Want: 8%

Nominations: Viridi x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lip

Chance: 2%. She's really obscure in the west so that'll be a problem. And unfortunately she didn't receive the Takamaru treatment(who I believe is the most likely retro rep). There could a chance if she's added as a puzzle rep but I believe that will go to Arle.

Want: ABSTAINED. Never played Panel De Pon and I personally prefer Puyo Puyo. So no want score here.

Agumon Prediction: 14.44%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

I’m still waiting on that source for Sakurai. I would not want to view to post as ill informed and have to dock the score.

Edited uptate: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

After doing research for myself I could not verify your claims PsychoJosh PsychoJosh . Update your score and analysis without that crucial falsified piece of evidence or your scores and nominations will be ignored.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Lip

Chance- 5%
She would be the first non clone character based on puzzle games. She is a "retro" character that already has an item in smash, but thats about it. Retro characters are always wild to pick, so I am unsure if Lip will get her turn this time.

Want- 10%
She's an out there retro pick, which I usually dig. However, Im not particularly interested inher over anyone else like Sheriff or Takumaru.

Digimon- 16.43%

Steve X 4
Thwomp X 1

PsychoJosh

I’m still waiting on that source for Sakurai. I would not want to view to post as ill informed and have to dock the score.

Edited uptate: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/04/29/duflupdate/

After doing research for myself I could not verify your claims PsychoJosh PsychoJosh . Update your score and analysis without that crucial falsified piece of evidence or your scores and nominations will be ignored.
I'm not able to find it either. I don't believe it was this one.

So since I couldn't find it I've updated my post.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not able to find it either. I don't believe it was this one.

So since I couldn't find it I've updated my post.
The Sakurai thing didn't impact your score at all?

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
There's more abstaining today, I do ponder if that means her score will be more bloated or shrank in % since more people are deciding to stay out of this one.

Lip
Chance - 12%
She has a shot if they decide to add a puzzle rep, but she suffers from being barely known in the West. This was something that helped shoot down Takamaru in the past even though he has scored plenty of cameos as of late to help him out. Lip on the other hand still is very obscure outside Japan with her literally being taken out of games and replaced with more recognizable and liked characters.
Want - 0%
Takamaru is the retro I been rooting for quite some time. I like his design and there's that part of me that wants to see Samus, Takamaru, Pit, and Link reunited in one game. Of course there's that part of me that would love to see his series get a reboot in addition to that. Lip would likely fight with him over a slot since both are old characters from a mostly Japan known series, and I'd have to support the one that actually interests me in terms of visuals, his own game and the potential moves from it, and the possibility of a reboot that could get him firm footing back in the gaming world.

After he gets in, I'd be more open to her. But for now, I sadly have to consider that she'd be tripping him for the spot. If they both get in, I'd be cool with that myself. But I know that's not that likely.

Nominations
With the upcoming Monster Hunter game, I do ponder if we should of rated that possibility... same with Pikmin... beforehand. Oh well, likely too late for either of them to get up there.
5x Monster Hunter

What about swords? Link used a sword first.
What about fists? Mario used that.
What about feet? Captain Falcon has been stomping and kicking about.
And bombs, arrows, frying pans, fire, water, electricity, faces, etc.

You're taking a rather general approach there with the weapons. A baseball bat is what... one of Ness's moves? It's a rather generic weapon especially compared to his yo yo or magic powers. Where as the discussion on Lip was it being her literal only weapon she has ever appeared with. She isn't exactly ripe with move set potential, even Villager had more to work with than the background art for puzzles. Not saying it's impossible by any means as Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, and Zelda are all cases where he took a lot of freedom into designing their moves and giving them life.

But I really don't think Lip (a puzzle game background)'s main and only weapon equals to Ness (a magic wielding kids that uses a couple odds and ends as weapons)'s sharing one weapon type with an item. That's a far stretch!

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Lip

Chance - 10% - Considering that Sakuri likes the series, considering the references the series already has, it would not surprise me if he has considered her in the past. Sadly, being Japan-only hurts her chances badly, and Takamaru currently seems like a front-runner. Unless something happens that rekindles interest in her franchise, I don't think it'll happen.

I don't see how Lip's stick is a problem, though. Smash is no stranger to removing items (RIP fan and parasol). If Lip ends up playable, her weapon could easily be removed.

Want - 75% - I like her. I'd be interested in seeing how they implement her in.

Predictions

Agumon - 5.63% - Not as strong as they used to be...

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

PsychoJosh

You're taking a rather general approach there with the weapons. A baseball bat is what... one of Ness's moves? It's a rather generic weapon especially compared to his yo yo or magic powers. Where as the discussion on Lip was it being her literal only weapon she has ever appeared with. She isn't exactly ripe with move set potential, even Villager had more to work with than the background art for puzzles. Not saying it's impossible by any means as Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, and Zelda are all cases where he took a lot of freedom into designing their moves and giving them life.

But I really don't think Lip (a puzzle game background)'s main and only weapon equals to Ness (a magic wielding kids that uses a couple odds and ends as weapons)'s sharing one weapon type with an item. That's a far stretch!
I don't realy understand what you're talking about here. The argument is that Lip can't be in Smash if her flower wand is an item, which is completely ridiculous. Characters can and do have moves that also appear as items that can be used by other people, as has been demonstrated by Ness's baseball bat, Samus's screw attack, Peach's turnips and random bob-ombs, etc. Opossum tried to update this flimsy argument by saying that the character has no chance if their MAIN weapon is an item, which again, I point to Ness's bat as a blatant example of this being wrong. There's nothing stopping Lip from being able to perform techniques with the wand that only SHE knows how to perform, such as casting magic and shooting stuff with it that the other characters can't do.

Now about your nonsense about moveset potential. Plenty of movesets have already been created for Lip that are very unique and potentially fun to use. So obviously the potential IS there. But even if she didn't have moveset potential - Captain Falcon never had a moveset before Smash either. they had to contrive one for him based on Japanese tokusatsu/super sentai shows. There is nothing stopping them from doing the same thing for Lip, basing her movements and techniques on magical girl anime. They could base her moveset on Panel de Pon's gameplay or its lore - for a gameplay-based moveset, she could shoot panels, swap positions with an enemy using an on-screen cursor, build up panel towers that she could then explode for damage, and drop garbage blocks on people's heads. For lore-based gameplay, she can make spiked rose vines shoot out from nowhere, hit people with flower petals like rotating sawblades. use her fluffy balloon critter to help her reach higher places, ensnare people in venus flytraps, and also get assists from her fairy friends who each have magical powers that control the elements. It could be either/or, or a combination of these two things. But to say she just doesn't have any moveset potential is misinformed and shows you really don't know much about her or the games.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
I don't realy understand what you're talking about here. The argument is that Lip can't be in Smash if her flower wand is an item, which is completely ridiculous. Characters can and do have moves that also appear as items that can be used by other people, as has been demonstrated by Ness's baseball bat, Samus's screw attack, Peach's turnips and random bob-ombs, etc. Opossum tried to update this flimsy argument by saying that the character has no chance if their MAIN weapon is an item, which again, I point to Ness's bat as a blatant example of this being wrong. There's nothing stopping Lip from being able to perform techniques with the wand that only SHE knows how to perform, such as casting magic and shooting stuff with it that the other characters can't do.

Now about your nonsense about moveset potential. Plenty of movesets have already been created for Lip that are very unique and potentially fun to use. So obviously the potential IS there. But even if she didn't have moveset potential - Captain Falcon never had a moveset before Smash either. they had to contrive one for him based on Japanese tokusatsu/super sentai shows. There is nothing stopping them from doing the same thing for Lip, basing her movements and techniques on magical girl anime. They could base her moveset on Panel de Pon's gameplay or its lore - for a gameplay-based moveset, she could shoot panels, swap positions with an enemy using an on-screen cursor, build up panel towers that she could then explode for damage, and drop garbage blocks on people's heads. For lore-based gameplay, she can make spiked rose vines shoot out from nowhere, hit people with flower petals like rotating sawblades. use her fluffy balloon critter to help her reach higher places, ensnare people in venus flytraps, and also get assists from her fairy friends who each have magical powers that control the elements. It could be either/or, or a combination of these two things. But to say she just doesn't have any moveset potential is misinformed and shows you really don't know much about her or the games.
I think the issue is that Lip's wand being a weapon is that it's her only weapon. You keep going back to Ness who has psychic powers and a yoyo as well. His baseball bat is literally one move. Lip's wand =/= Ness's Baseball bat unless you think her main weapon would only be used for one move. Also generic baseball =/= a unique wand.

I literally said that she is lacking in the move set criteria, but she could pull a Captain Falcon or Zelda... and you used my very own point on Lip (which was a pro/con outlook) and highlighted the pro on it. So you didn't tell me much except some ideas you had on it which is cool and all... but she still is mostly just a background sprite/picture for the players. And yes my knowledge on the series and Lip isn't huge, I played one of the Pokemon versions of her game and that was it. But can you blame me? Her series is overall kind of obscure and basically altered to be Lip-less in America. In terms of American audiences, she is very close to a nobody that mainly only Smash enthusiasts think of here and there.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I think the issue is that Lip's wand being a weapon is that it's her only weapon. You keep going back to Ness who has psychic powers and a yoyo as well. His baseball bat is literally one move. Lip's wand =/= Ness's Baseball bat unless you think her main weapon would only be used for one move. Also generic baseball =/= a unique wand.
But still the item itself is incredibly basic. You can do a quick swing and a smash attack with it that's all. Lip can still do a variety of things with the wand that by nature an item can't capture. It's like 17-20 moves or more for a character. An item != an entire character. It really doesn't matter whether her wand is unique or not. In fact her wand just looks like an ordinary flower so it really wouldn't be jarring to see everyone using it while Lip is. There are far more credible issues she faces that people don't need to bring up a trifle like her wand being an item.
For goodness sake Toon Link is also a background character and he's still playable so I fail to see how an item can keep a character from being playable.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sheesh, I never would've imagined the cute and innocent Lip would have such a tense day.

Kinda ironic, isn't it?
Lip

Digimon Prediction

Want: 8%

Nominations: Viridi x5
Make sure you add at least two sentences to explain yourself. Otherwise, your scores won't count.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Lip:

Chance:
2%
Poor Lip. She's been dealt a rough hand for Smash Bros.

Basically, while I can see her making it in, she has a lot of serious competition, and being Japanese-exclusive definitely hurts her if it was enough to keep Takamaru of all characters out in the past.

At this point, I'm like 60% sure Takamaru will be considered given his game's Western release, his assist trophy, and his Mii Costume, which I imagine sold fairly well.

Other than him, there's still contenders like Excitebiker, Balloon Fighter, and Ossan who are more recognizable to Western audiences and who likely have a better chance than Lip.

Then there's also Mach Rider and Sukapon, who are just about as obscure as Lip and who have similar chances. Unfortunately for her, I think the references she already has in Smash are her high points. Maybe she can make it as an Assist Trophy this time around, though?

Want: 60%
I'm intrigued by the possibility of a block-summoning fighter, and I'm always happy to see retros, but I'm not attached to Lip in particular. I'd also prefer Takamaru, Balloon Fighter, or Sukapon over her.

Prediction: 4%
Nominations: Historical Character (ala G&W, R.O.B., or Duck Hunt) x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom