• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Chance: 5%
Honestly, even if Valve and Nintendo did meet up, negotiate about Smash, managed to agree on something and get contracts signed, I'd expect Valve time to kick in and not see anything of it until Smash 6.

Want: 100%
Yoooooo. Gordon Freeman is probably THE PC rep and a mix of his eclectic HL1 weaponry (including alien weapons like a giant claw-esque launcher that fires bees, or large insect creatures that chase after enemies before exploding), explosives, a crossbow etc and his trusty Gravity Gun that can pick up nearly any object, carry it and then fling it at someone poor sap. TF2's style is fantastically unique and would blend into Smash perfectly. Portal is a cultural icon (even moreso than HL) and Still Alive or a test chamber map would fit in great now that we're getting the likes of Sans Mii costume as actual things in Smash Bros.

I also think while Valve don't really have a lot of stuff on Switch, there is a kind of symbiosis between Nintendo's consoles and PC gaming. Between them you can usually pick up just about every game worth playing in a generation with very rare exceptions. So the audience it'd be inviting would make sense.
Nominate: uh, any Xenoblade newcomer x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Valve Character

Chance - 2.5% - Basically the PC gaming gods. That doesn't mean anything for console gamers, though. While some of them have hit mainstream, overall they are a western company with not much demand with little connection with Nintendo. I don't see it.

Want - 35% - Some characters are cool, but I never actually played any of their games. I'd rather have a character with a bit more to Nintendo than them.

Nominations

Kunio X5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
1, 2, uh... ...that's an old joke.

Chance: 50%. Call me crazy, but I think Sakurai stopped giving a **** about Nintendo history somewhere in 2018, at least when it comes to significant enough characters. He's also apparently played and liked Half-Life, last I recall. So in the end, depending on who's picking the DLC, we might just actually see it happen. For Pass 5? Nada, zilch. For anything else? I think there's a fair shot here. Even if there's no Nintendo ports, didn't stop Joker (unless Shin Megami Tensei V, which has had absolutely no news since 2017, or Phantom Strikers, which, while a sequel, isn't the main game and thus won't be half as popular [and not known en masse until 2019], REALLY impacted Nintendo's decision to include Joker on the list) and didn't stop Banjo (wanted by fans a whole lot, so he appealed to a market that none of the others do. And that whole "play Banjo on Xbox" thing, Ninty would never let him say if they cared that badly). So I don't think a Nintendo presence even really matters.

Want: 60%: Heavy or Gordon Freeman, for solidarity, would be quite nice. Chell, however, is the one I'd prefer the most, though a Portal Gun item would be a very nice thing to add to Smash.

Lloyd x 5.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Chance: 50%. Call me crazy, but I think Sakurai stopped giving a **** about Nintendo history somewhere in 2018, at least when it comes to significant enough characters. He's also apparently played and liked Half-Life, last I recall. So in the end, depending on who's picking the DLC, we might just actually see it happen. For Pass 5? Nada, zilch. For anything else? I think there's a fair shot here. Even if there's no Nintendo ports, didn't stop Joker (unless Shin Megami Tensei V, which has had absolutely no news since 2017, or Phantom Strikers, which, while a sequel, isn't the main game and thus won't be half as popular [and not known en masse until 2019], REALLY impacted Nintendo's decision to include Joker on the list) and didn't stop Banjo (wanted by fans a whole lot, so he appealed to a market that none of the others do. And that whole "play Banjo on Xbox" thing, Ninty would never let him say if they cared that badly). So I don't think a Nintendo presence even really matters.

Want: 60%: Heavy or Gordon Freeman, for solidarity, would be quite nice. Chell, however, is the one I'd prefer the most, though a Portal Gun item would be a very nice thing to add to Smash.

Lloyd x 5.
I'm sorry, did you really just try to use Banjo as an example of why Nintendo presence doesn't matter?

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
and didn't stop Banjo (wanted by fans a whole lot, so he appealed to a market that none of the others do. And that whole "play Banjo on Xbox" thing, Ninty would never let him say if they cared that badly). So I don't think a Nintendo presence even really matters.
Le oof. Imagine figuring people wanted Banjo without knowing that his heyday was on the N64 as one of the console's most beloved games. Joker is a valid point, but freaking BANJO? You'd have better luck mentioning Terry than Banjo, and that's WITH Terry's games usually getting ported to Nintendo consoles! Banjo was THE N64 collectathon- even moreso than Super Mario 64.

amageish

Smash Master

Lloyd x 5.
Not that I completely disagree the idea that Nintendo presence matters less, but I don't think it's fair to say that SMTV and the Phantom Strikes are the only ATLUS games who could have possibly impacted the decision to put Joker on the list when when ATLUS has made games for plenty of Nintendo consoles in the past, up to and including a exclusive for the Virtual Boy.... Also, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, a first-party Nintendo game developed by ATLUS, is coming up next January too.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
that I completely disagree the idea that Nintendo presence matters less, but I don't think it's fair to say that SMTV and the Phantom Strikes are the only ATLUS games who could have possibly impacted the decision to put Joker on the list when when ATLUS has made games for plenty of Nintendo consoles in the past, up to and including a exclusive for the Virtual Boy
It's specifically Joker in particular who's impacted by these games (plus Persona Q2, can't forget that). While yes, Atlus has made plenty of games for Nintendo consoles (usually ports), thus far, only three are directly related to the Persona series: Persona Q, Persona Q2 and The Phantom Strikers. If we were going for a MegaTen character in general and not a Persona character specifically, we probably would've gotten the company's mascot, Jack Frost.

amageish

Smash Master
It's specifically Joker in particular who's impacted by these games (plus Persona Q2, can't forget that). While yes, Atlus has made plenty of games for Nintendo consoles (usually ports), thus far, only three are directly related to the Persona series: Persona Q, Persona Q2 and The Phantom Strikers. If we were going for a MegaTen character in general and not a Persona character specifically, we probably would've gotten the company's mascot, Jack Frost.
I mean, Joker has nothing to do with SMTV either (as far as we're aware, anyway - and I think mainline SMT fans may go insane if he did have some sort of involvement)... The line between Persona and SMT is blurry AF and has been that way since the relationship between SMT If and Persona 1, but I don't think it's remotely probable that Joker's inclusion wasn't influenced by ATLUS's long history of collaborations with Nintendo.

Also, like, here's the press release from Joker's reveal:
The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems. Sporting an iconic mask and a variety of weapons, Joker is the main character of Persona 5, a beloved game that won Best Role-Playing Game and was nominated for Game of the Year at last year’s The Game Awards.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I mean, Joker has nothing to do with SMTV either (as far as we're aware, anyway - and I think mainline SMT fans may go insane if he did have some sort of involvement)... The line between Persona and SMT is blurry AF and has been that way since the relationship between SMT If and Persona 1, but I don't think it's remotely probable that Joker's inclusion wasn't influenced by ATLUS's long history of collaborations with Nintendo.
That's fair. The main point I'm making is that Jack Frost could've been fit in just as easily- so it's unfair to say that those games probably didn't have a substantial impact in why it was Joker in particular who got in over any other possible Atlus rep.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
That's fair. The main point I'm making is that Jack Frost could've been fit in just as easily- so it's unfair to say that those games probably didn't have a substantial impact in why it was Joker in particular who got in over any other possible Atlus rep.
I'd say Black Frost rather than Jack Frost. Jack Frost is the cute mascot and kind of a wimp, Black Frost is the Jack Frost who has painstakingly learnt how to fight to protect hee-s demon friends ho.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
"Wake up, Smash bubble. Wake up and smell the ashes."

Chance:45%
Years of cynical memes were abruptly tossed aside the moment Valve suddenly announced a brand-new, fully-fledged Half-Life game, with all the focus on writing and physics that made the franchise so revolutionary. Valve, as it seems, is no longer a dormant money magnet, and the return of its defining franchise to the living ought to change speculation for good in the year to come.

(The obvious candidate is now Gordon Freeman, and it will stay Gordon Freeman for a very long time. Portal and Dota and TF2 were only able to play for as long as Half-Life stayed dead.)

Banjo's passge leaves the next likeliest Western candidate as a matter of who deserves recognition the most, and if any Western game developer deserves it at all, it's Valve. Valve pioneered the physics engine that birthed a thousand mods, many of them rippling into their own genre behemoths. They built the first major digital storefront, equipping it over the decades with features that its competitors still don't even have a third of. They maintain some of the biggest multiplayer games on the planet, keeping them free and player-friendly where most other companies wouldn't have.

Nintendo seems to understand this, since they personally asked Valve to make something for the Switch sometime ago, thereby proving that Nintendo both knows Valve exists and values their properties. (Nothing came of it, but again, why would Nintendo have asked at all?) Sakurai certainly knows Valve's significance, which is certainly a good thing for Valve when he can add a franchise just for having a mindblowing UI.

How long has Valve been working on Half-Life Alyx? How can we say for certain we know what happens behind the scenes when such games can sneak out from under us? And most importantly for Smash - If Half-Life succeeds in its ambitions of turning long-maligned VR into a must-have for its entire PC base, then wouldn't convincing that base to buy a Switch for the sake of a long-absent protagonist not be a very enticing deal?

Want: 60%
Speculating on Western reps almost always reminds one of the scummy things Western companies do. Valve is not one of those companies, and they're really great (albeit hopelessly unmotivated) given their position in the industry. Physics Interactions: The Moveset would be great mechanic if handled properly too.

Nominations
Phoenix Wright x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yep.

Thanksgiving weekend is here. Memory lane, what are your favorite smash memories?

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Gonna have to go with my earliest days of Smash in the Brawl days. I've much improved since then (but I still don't do too well online), but back in those original days none of it mattered. I'd have items on, lots of characters, and just goof around and have fun with friends and CPUs. The character choices were great and there weren't any controversial choices. Those were more innocent times, and I'd say those are still my fondest Smash memories!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, since I already partook in this last year (and given it was so close to the November 1 Direct, I didn't find much about Ultimate to be grateful for), I'll do what I'm most grateful about this past year.

World of Light was great. It was no Subspace Emissary, but it was a beautiful love letter to Nintendo. As a very big and very geeky fan, it was a delight to find so many characters I knew about and see how they were represented. Honestly, it made the roster feel so much larger, seeing how many characters could be represented through it, and it was cool to make up stories about how all the Spirits would interact. All around great stuff.

I'm grateful about Joker. Persona 5 was one of my favorite games of 2017 (no small feat), and while I find his playstyle unfaithful to the game and unfun to play as, he's still in.

I'm grateful about Erdrick, and Luminary, and Eight, and Solo. I love Dragon Quest, have done so since I was a kid, and Hero (despite the generic name) is a beautiful love letter to such a legendary series.

I'm grateful about Terry, I've played (and sucked at) my fair share of Fatal Fury and King of Fighters and it's cool to see how much content it got.

I'm grateful about being able to hear Megalovania in Smash. Enough said.

Most of all, I'm grateful about finally being able to see the bird and bear in Smash. Such a legendary series fallen from grace, finally able to return to their rightful home. Makes the 11 years hoping for them all worth it.

So, yeah, I'm pretty happy about the FP. But I'm still grateful for more DLC. Fingers crossed for Nintendo characters, personally.

Noms: Rundas x5

For the record, you get today as an extension before the top seven gets locked. Dunno if people give presents for Thanksgiving, but consider this one.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I don't have much to say since last year, but I'm thankful for Banjo & Kazooie to finally be in the game. Sakurai listened to the fans and made this iconic character playable.

Also thankful for Joker and Terry Bogard making it as well, since they're both fun as hell to play, and Joker got me into P5 as a whole.

Untitled Goose x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
I'm thankful for:
World of Light
Joker being added as DLC
Hero and Terry being fun enough to play as to change my opinion of them
More DLC after the fighters pass

Noms: Frogger x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Oh boy, so many

The reveal trailers are a good place to start. Cant say there's a single one I ever thought was awful. Sure, some are better than others, but they've all been fun at worst

Now for playing the game, I for sure have a few. My brothers and I play eachother a lot so have some fun stories from that. We play 5 minute time battles. My favorites are the time that I somehow tied in a Wario/DK match when both of us died at the same time in sudden death. Then there's the time I managed to come back from being down 4 kills with 3 minutes left and won in sudden death. There's so much more too but I dont really want to be typing all night

Noms:
Unsafe Wiimote guy x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I can choose many, from reacting to Simon being in Ultimate, which was at the peak of my Castlevania obsession, to playing each game for the first time. But my top most cherished memories are all the times that I played Smash 4 3DS during lunch time at school with my friends. I made so many friends and acquaintances thanks to Smash. All the times we laughed, creating ridiculous Mii fighters, and getting ourselves into some crazy and unpredictable situations.

One time we were playing 4 player Smash and it came down to me and the best person in the group. He was Falco and I was Bowser Jr. He threw me a good distance off the stage and started taunting. I used my recovery and when he was about to grab me from the edge of the stage, I used the hammer and sent him flying all the way to the other side of the screen where he died just before I fell into the abyss. Everyone was in full shock and the guy was blushing because he knew he messed up due to his cockiness.

Another time I was playing against two of my pals and I was Jigglypuff. I was in the middle of the stage and my pals were running at me from both sides. I managed to Rest them both at the same time. Badass. There were also the tournaments we did for Smash Wii U that we held once a year for all 4 years. I only won 1 battle out of all the tournaments, but I still had fun. One time I was able to try out 8 player Smash and it was really fun. Let me tell you all, I was jealous of Wii U owners because they had 8 player Smash and us 3DS owners didn't. I'm now grateful that I have Ultimate which has 8 player Smash on all stages and it is probably my favorite thing to do in the game.

I'm in my second year of college and most of my friends and acquaintances have splintered off. It sucks, but I still talk to some of them and they have remained my best friends and we still play Smash to this day.

Smash 4 was not a perfect game, but I'm grateful for its existence as it gave me some of my favorite high school memories. I might not have made half as many friends if it wasn't for Smash. Thank you Smash, and thank you Sakurai.

Noms: Geno x5

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Giving thanks for Super Smash Bros Brawl. That's where my smash truly started, got into a small, fun team with ties to a bigger one where I am today. Also met a friend back then who just got into smash, and we're still friends to this day - one of my longest-standing friendships ever.

And of course, thanks for giving us fun, hopes and dreams even today with the DLC, inviting reps I love and finally giving me the opportunity to hit that stupid dog with its ducks!! God I hated its mocking laugh.

Nominations: Riesz x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Honestly, I'm thankful for Smash giving me a community to talk about my passions with. Since almost every video game character has at least one person who unironically wants them in Smash, it provides places to talk about them, their series, the potential in Smash... it's kinda lovely, in a way. I know that's not related to Smash specifically, but that's what I like most.

Nominations: Boss: Kracko x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Most memorable Smash moments in general:
  • The hype for Brawl. Everyday after school I would check the Smash Dojo site to see if their were new characters added. Although the delays were a pain it was the first time I really got hyped for a game.
  • Everyone is Here which needs no explanation.
  • :ultisabelle:'s reveal. Probably the first time I got really hyped for a newcomer since she was one of my most wanted characters in the SSB4 days.
  • :ultjoker:'s reveal at TGA. His reveal was completely unexpected and really set the tone for this DLC season.
  • The SNK leak. When it happened I legit could not think of anything but Smash until the Direct hit.
For things that happened within the last year, I am thankful for...
  • :ult_terry: being added. He was one of my top 3 wanted characters and I always thought his inclusion would be just a pipe dream. I can't think of many characters that would outdo the hype that I got from his reveal.
  • Eight being an alt of :ulthero:. Dragon Quest VIII was the first DQ game I really got into so seeing him make it in was an awesome bonus.
  • The 50 SNK songs that came with Terry's release.
Nominations:
Quote x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I am thankful for this series in general.
I remember playing Melee and having a lot of fun with friends. I usually used Luigi, whereas they mained Marth and Link respectively, and I was the best of our 3 friends.
I remember during Brawl's reveal cycle being so hyped when I was Sonic get revealed, with Live and Learn playing in the background of that trailer. I immediately started maining him.
I remember Subspace emissary to this day as one of the best side modes ever, and the saving grace of Brawl.
I remember Mega Man getting revealed, and then preordering Smash 4 for both 3DS and Wii U.
I remember the Shulk reveal.
I remember the Greninja reveal and how hyped I was when that happened, as he had become one of my favorite mons after X/Y
I remember the Mewtwo reveal.
I remember the reveal of Ultimate back in March of last year.
I remember Everyone Is Here and Ridley being revealed.
I rrmeember K. rool and Dark same being revealed.
I remember the sting of the November direct, but the hype of a story mode.
I remember the Joker reveal. and the Banjo reveal.
I am thankful that Sakurai made this series that I grew up with. I love Smash, and I am eternally grateful that I have been able to grow up with this series.
nominations: Shadow x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While it lead no where, the rise in Skull Kids popularity was something special. It was the closest I ever had to having internet fame. I joined a discord and people were like "you're Mr Nintendo from the Skull Kid thread, I know you!"

And Skull Kid got to star and some pretty cool leaks, the pokefloats one in particular I remember.

I hope one day he returns to that glory.

Nominate no more stages after the pass x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thought I should clarify, the reason I haven't been doing calcs lately is because this week I have three exams and I've been studying my ass off. If everything goes my way, I should be done with class by Monday, so expect a big calcs dump for then.

Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x135
Ninten x125
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x125
9-Volt x120
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x120
Boss: Kracko x120
Rundas x115
Riesz (Mana) x115
Frogger x115

150 - 101

[Rerate] Steve x110
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
[Rerate] Geno x105
Thrall (Warcraft) x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Concept: Any grass-type starter x98
Sol Badguy x95
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x95
[Rerate] Quote x92
Glover x85
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x85
[Rerate] Sora x81
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x80
Francis York Morgan x80
Ryo Hazuki x80
Proto Man x75
X (Mega Man) x68
Papyrus x66
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Sackboy x63
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
[Rerate] Heihachi x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x45
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x45
Mii Costume: Hollow Knight x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
Kunio (River City) x35
[Rerate] Dante x32
Akira Howard x30
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x30
Earthworm Jim x28
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x25

Under 25

Meowth x22
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x20
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x20
[Rerate] Prince of All Cosmos x20
King Boo x19
Chun-Li x16
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Urbosa x15
Kazuma Kiryu x15
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x15
Giygas x10
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x10
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
Rival Pokémon Trainer x7
Freddy Fazbear x7
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x5
Terra Branford x5
Boss: Ender Dragon x2

Concept: First parties after the Fighter Pass beats Dovahkiin and Ninten and takes first place. The Horrible Goose and Boss: Kracko beat Rundas and tie with 9-Volt for fourth place. Rundas himself is joined by Frogger and Riesz in a struggle for seventh place.

Geno and Thrall blast through the 100 nom mark.

Concept: Any new Xenoblade character clears 50 noms.

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable finally leaves the under 25 club.

For today's new nominee, we have Ender Dragon as a boss, with 2 noms to its name.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Heh, if I knew first party was such a popular choice, I would have kept my bonus nominations for No more stages :p

D

Deleted member

Most memorable Smash moments for me:

• Getting serious with Smash. Before, I just shaved it off as another franchise I would write for fanfiction. Now, I took it seriously, and now I love it.
  • Buying my Nintendo Switch for the sake of Smash. I spent more hours on Smash than any other game, so much that I haven't finished Xeno2 and FETH yet, all for the sake of Smash.
  • While I was busy unlocking characters, finding my character set. Usually when it came to fighting games, I always wanted to utilize multiple characters, inspired by Korean Tekken Players Knee and JDCR. While I was busy unlocking characters, the first character I immediately died to go for was Marth, since I've seen so much Melee clips of him and it would really fit my playstyle (and also because I'm an FE fangirl). To this day, I'm sticking with Lucina (another character I love), though I considered co-maining the two along with my 14-character palette. IF I ever pick up an older Smash game that isn't Smash 4, Marth will always be the first character I'd pick.
  • ZSS. She stood out to me as this unique character that now has less vitriol than older games, though now, she's a pick that I'm trying to practice. She's still one of my characters that I use.
  • Sheik. She stood out to me as a character I'd be mixed with. Since I'm an Ultimate baby, she stood out to me as a character that just didn't work, but turns out her playstyle fit my hand, and while I'm not winning anything with her, she's going to be one of my consistent picks in older games. And suddenly, I want to one day play Melee just to play her when she was still the best.
  • Trying out Bayonetta for the first time, then having an on-off relation with her (sometimes I want to use her, sometimes I don't), to finally formalizing her as one of my palette characters.
  • Getting invested into Persona after Joker's reveal. Back then, I only knew of the franchise due to an ex-friend of mine, but now, it's one of my favorite franchises.
  • Terry's reveal. Everyone thought that an SNK character wouldn't make the cut, but who's laughing now? His reveal was the wake-up call for me to take KoF seriously. To this day, he's now part of my KoF set alongside Mai, Athena, Kyo, Iori, and Yuri, and now I'm considering picking up Leona.
  • Joining Smashboards.
  • I did 1/3 of WoL back during a vacation to Cebu, but when I got back, I finished the entire thing in ONE SEATING, WITHOUT time to eat lunch and dinner. I consider that an achievement.
There will be more, but for now, that is all =)

No nominations.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I guess I'll write down my most memorable moments from the Smash series:
  • Brawl in general. Seeing Wario, Snake, Sonic, King Dedede, and Pokemon Trainer in the same game? That roster was absolutely insane when I think about it. The game I had the most fun on the Wii console was Brawl, it was a truly special game when it came out.
  • Mega Man's reveal in Smash 4. When Mega Man got revealed there were like 4 Mega Man games that got cancelled, including Legends 3 which still hurts my heart to this day. When it seemed Capcom wasn't interested in the blue bomber anymore he got revealed for the next installment of Smash, it was the right announcement at the right time which made this one of my favorite reveals in Smash history.
  • Cloud + Bayonetta. I never in my life expected these two to join Smash. I wanted them but I always treated them as pipe dream picks that wouldn't happen. Fast forward to the end of 2015 and these were the last two third parties announced. Besides Mega Man, Little Mac, and Pac-Man I wasn't that interested in the rest of Smash 4's base game newcomers. It took the DLC newcomers for me to get excited again. If not for Cloud and Bayonetta I probably wouldn't have looked back fondly on Smash 4's newcomers.
  • Everyone is Here + Ridley. I don't think I need to explain why this is here. Having every fighter back alongside one of the most requested newcomers of all time? I don't know if this moment will ever be surpassed.
  • Joker. This one is in here out of the sheer WTF factor. I watched the game awards on the expectation that there will be no Smash reveals. Not only was there a Smash reveal, but it was a Smash reveal of a character whose main series wasn't on Nintendo consoles (no I don't count the Q games and if you do then shame on you).
Nomination: Steve x5

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The biggest one for me is, to no surprise, Ridley's reveal. Because of the rumors I was so nervous the entire day leading up to the Direct, it felt like our absolute last chance of seeing Ridley become playable, most of us didn't expect him to even be in contention after Smash 4, but so many old faces still managed to show up for a sort of last stand. Even through the presentation I couldn't really focus on all the amazing things that were shown as I was just bracing myself for the disappointment of Pyrosphere appearing at any second, Everyone is Here got a brief hands on head reaction out of me (even Pichu!?), but that was about it.

When we finally got to the inevitable end of Direct reveal I was just looking for the first frame of the trailer to be anything that could be even slightly related to Ridley, so many times I've hoped for him just for it to be clear from the very first second of the trailer that it wasn't, so when I saw the sci-fi aesthetic, I knew this had to be it. It was extremely fulfilling to not just see him finally be in the game, but also that they absolutely nailed his design, size and gameplay, I loved everything about his implementation, in that one moment everything was perfect. Seeing Sakurai play him after the presentation was borderline surrealistic, and the little shoutout he gave to Ridley's western fanbase meant the world to me.

Nominations: Geno x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Lets see my main memories I have

Started watching smash videos in 2015, because I wanted to see if I can enjoy this franchise, and I defiantly did (started on December, with the first game)
Already coming up with a Wishlist in 2017
King K.Rool, Incineroar and Inkling getting in (with Dark Meta Knight as an alternate costume)
Bringing back all the fighters brought some hype
Ridley joining in really brought the hype
Lots of returning stages helped
Echo-Fighters and newcomers made the hype go further. Piranha Plant's reveal is a surprise
King Dedede pranking the Kong's and Duck Hunt following through, a classic troll
World of Light and the Return of Galeom, fun mode, and a returning boss, sold
Marx being a boss, also sold
Lots of music, they brought back Meta Crystal, Sonic Boom, Fourside and Saffron City Theme, this is sold
Unique classic modes, very fun
Spirits, ditto
Stage Builder and Home Run Contest returning, I had fun making stages and taking out Sandbag

Overall, Ultimate is the Hype and I'm grateful of it

Noms: 2 for Chun Li and 3 for Urbosa

D

Deleted member

My favorite memories with the Smash franchise? Well:

-First playing Subspace Emissary: It has it's flaws mind you but at the time and even now it's the most ambitious first-player content in any Smash game and while the great maze could've been cut down seeing all these characters interact was a blast and the music within the mode itself is really, really good especially the Stickerbush Symphony song first hearing that through Subspace was so relaxing. It was even my first introduction to the song.

-The Smash 4 ballot: While I assume a good chunk of people had hectic and crazy experiences with it and some may even dislike it I found it very fun and sometimes relaxing. I remember first finding Etika through the King K. Rool vs. Shovel Knight stream and he turned out to be one of my favorite content creators (rip), I remember staying up late and listening to other peoples opinions on what the ballot results could look like while relaxing, I remember staying up late multiple times for said ballot it was just a lot of fun.

-EVERYONE IS HERE: When it first aired that trailer made me pop-off so hard I couldn't even believe they pulled off something like that it's still to this day the most exciting smash reveal ever aired I would argue. Snake, Ice Climbers, Pokemon Trainer, Pichu, Young Link, Wolf, All back within one trailer and I remember losing my absolute mind plus I went up to my friends house for a few weeks during it and all three of us lost our minds.

-King K. Rool Trailer: My most wanted character before Geno was K. Rool and I absolutely lost it when he was revealed I always thought he was likely sure but my friends kept insisting that he wasn't going to be in and he wasn't going to be in then he got in and I couldn't have been more happy. I don't really like his playstyle but him being here is just amazing DK's true villain was finally here.

-Isabelle Trailer: Honestly? It wasn't the Isabelle trailer itself that got me excited or me looking back on it fondly but rather the events surrounding it. I was vacationing for my birthday during it and the vacation was super memorable and fun that I can't help but feel happy and content when Isabelle was revealed sure she wasn't my favorite or even close to a character I specifically wanted but someone out there wanted her and I couldn't be mad at that especially with everything surrounding it the reveal was more low-key but a very solid trailer and character.

-Grinch Leak: I'm sorry and I know a lot of people got harassed during it and I feel absolutely sorry for you but I can't help but look back at the Grinch Leak with fondness. The night before it was the last time I truly had a good night sleep, The weeks during it I found the speculation from the website I was on at the time very interesting while I was playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time then Halloween was my favorite holiday so for it to be close to that was super fun and the night before the November 1st direct I couldn't get to sleep due to how much fun I was having. Of course it was fake and it was such a bummer but that doesn't stop me from looking back on it fondly also the memories and emotions at the time were real so in my heart it was real. Incineroar was fine I guess.

-Banjo-Kazooie reveal: Banjo-Kazooie was so out of nowhere and months leading up to their reveal everyone was thinking it would be Steve yet here the duo are finally here and looking more beautiful than ever. I like Banjo and Kazooie but I was very much so rooting for them on others behalf and not my own so when others were happy it made me happy. I'm glad people got who they wanted and I was very content with them being in the game.

-Sans Mii Costume: Come on it's Sans it's the funny Skeleton man and him being in felt like a pipe dream even if it was just a mii costume it was ridiculous and such a good time. Megalovania and the Sans Mii Costume for 0.99 was such a steal that anyone should buy it. It was amazing to see and I'm happy I could've witnessed it.

So yeah those were pretty much it.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Alright, gonna drop my cents before the day ends. Since I was part of the last Thanksgiving day, I'm not gonna recycle what I said then and just focus on release/post-release stuff:

*The game was amazing. I'm not good enough to describe this with too many words, but ever since I got my hands on Ultimate, it's been a blast to play.
*The new remixes: Lost Painting, King Bowser, Vega's theme, Snake Man's, Crocodile Cacophony, Beneath the Mask, Let's Go to Seoul... this and many more are just too pleasing for my ears. This OST is probably close to Brawl's as being the best from the entire series.
*Joker's surprise reveal at TGAs: He was a sign of great things go come, and speaking of that...
*Everything about Terry from the leaks to release: He was one of my most wanted for Smash after all. I lost my mind back when Nintendo screwed up their CP4 with the SNK copyright notice, then when Verg and his colleagues said it was Terry I was already losing my patience to see him in action, cue a Nintendo Direct that I couldn't see live because of school reasons, but once I got the chance to watch it, I was pleased with his short trailer and couldn't wait to see him properly in November; now let's cut to this month's Direct and the character not only lived up to my expectations, but he also broke them like crazy; fun combos, stage cameos from different SNK characters and fifty songs; he was a love letter to SNK in general, and I can't appreciate enough just how excellent that is. Of course, the pack wasn't perfect, what with no Garou anything outside of his "Stand Up!" taunt and Rock Howard, Mai's omission and the usage of the original Neo-Geo tracks instead of the arranged versions of certain songs (176th Street and Terry 115 come to mind); but in the end, they were nothing but minor bumps in what is otherwise the best DLC in Smash history, or even just the best fighting game DLC I ever bought.

Nominations: Dante x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
To be honest, the best Smash Memory I have is probably Mega Man's reveal. That was the moment I was blown away completely. Not knowing anything about leaks made it amazing to see, that Smash was coming to the Wii U. The 3DS (I think Smash 3DS was a bad idea, but that's only with hindsight and knowing it came at the expense of Icies.). It was awesome, even if I didn't like Villager at the time.

But then Mega Man came on the screen. And... it was amazing. I just had gotten into Mega Man that year through the Anniversary Collection. And... he was unparalleled at the time as a major love letter to his games. I thought he looked amazing even before more of his moveset was shown off. When the most disappointing thing was his Final Smash, you know you'd made somebody incredible.

From then on, Smash turned from a neat thing into something truly remarkable. Mega Man didn't make me the happiest, nor did it shock me the most. But it set the stage for every reveal thereafter, and turned Smash news into the thing in my life that it is today. I truly believe that, even though I'd be happier with Crash, or Paper Mario, or even the happiest man alive if Arle happened, that I need to acknowledge Mega Man's role in turning something like Smash from another neat ol' game into truly something special. For me, at least. For others, maybe it was "Everyone is here!". Maybe it was Sonic. Maybe it was Mewtwo's return. Maybe it was Solid Snake. Maybe it was Melee. But I definitely consider Mega Man's reveal a turning point in what I thought of Smash.

Sunflower x 5.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have 3 fond memories when it comes to Smash: Subspace Emissary, EVERYONE IS HERE, and the World of Light reveal.

Subspace is my favorite gamemode in all of Smash hands down. When I was a kid, this mode was a blast to go through this game. I didn't even know Brawl's full roster when I was playing it, so seeing returning characters like G&W and Captain Falcon and new characters like ROB and Sonic gave me goosebumps, especially Sonic since I never expected him to show up at the end. It's the kind of Adventure Mode I wish Sakurai could do again, but since he said he doesn't want to do something like that again, I can only dream of what Ultimate's version of Subspace Emissary could've been.

Second, EVERYONE IS HERE is the best Smash trailer of all time. It built up so much suspense as to who was joining the roster up to the point that Snake was revealed and showed those very texts. I hate how most Fighting Games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat cut characters since that means most players who like those specific characters won't be able to play them anymore, so seeing EVERYONE IS HERE pop up really brought joy to my eyes. I'm also glad that there's a great amount of reaction videos so that I can watch other people's reactions to it happening like Etika (RIP), Alpharad, and Nathaniel Bandy.

Finally, the reveal of World of Light. Say what you will about that direct, WoL was the hypest **** for me because it looked like the next Subspace Emissary, and the trailer was also really good. I never owned a 3DS or Wii U to play Smash 4, but the lack of an Adventure Mode made me rather uninterested in buying an entire console to play it. WoL, however, made me really want to play Ultimate because it was the return of an Adventure Mode in Smash. I had to wait until the few days before Christmas to get my hands on Ultimate, and after playing through 1 free for all match, I played World of Light and tried to play it without spirits. I only saw a couple of spoilers like Dharkon, Marx, and Master Hand being playable, but I still kept myself away from other spoilers just so that I can experience WoL and see where the journey took me. Now, as you see with how I've only talked about the reveal so far, I will say I am a bit disappointed with how World of Light turned out as the lack of cutscenes featuring the entire roster and the lack of replay value were the biggest drawbacks to WoL. I also wished that WoL wasn't so ****ing difficult playing through without spirits cause I gave up after fighting the Ray Man spirit multiple times, but at the same time, it felt really amazing plowing through every spirit with OP Olimar. It could've been executed better, but for all of its faults, I will still like World of Light for being Ultimate's Adventure Mode.

Noms: Francis York Morgan x5

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Going in the brawl dojo seeing “challenger approaching” banner, scrolling down and seeing the name sonic followed by excitedly scrolling further to see that blue hedgehog so many of us were hoping for

Also that banjo kazooie trailer back in June

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
My favorite Smash Memories: Hoo Boy there's a lot.

The Subspace Emissary. Literally the whole thing blew me away as a kid. Seeing all these Nintendo characters interacting with each other is something I could only dream of.

My first time seeing people play Melee at a summer camp when I was in Elementary School. The very first time I had seen a Gamecube after I only had a N64.

My first time playing Brawl at a mall when I was in Elementary School, at the time I was only deeply familiar with Mario and Pokemon so seeing all those characters amazed me. Later on when I actually got the game it would be my catalyst into starting Zelda, Pikmin, Kirby, etc and becoming huge fans of those.

My first time playing Brawl when I first got the game. I played a bunch of matches and unlocked Ness, Marth, and Luigi as the first three characters, then I decided to go into the Subspace Emissary and the rest is history.

Smash 3DS demo. I remember playing that tons of times prior to the game's release, conserving one play session per day. As a result I became far more skilled with the characters in that demo than most of the rest of the characters for a while.

Smash 4's hype cycle. It started off when I had literally just bought the Megaman Anniversary Collection and Animal Crossing New Leaf and was looking to get into both of those series. Several days later, E3 happens, and Megaman and Villager are two of the first newcomers to be revealed for Smash 4.
A similar thing happened several months later, I had just finished fully evolving my Froakie Starter in Pokemon X to Greninja, and then a week later Greninja is revealed for Smash. It happens again several months later, I had been watching Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade Chronicles Let's Play over the summer and playing Fire Emblem Awakening, and I just finished getting an S-Support with Robin and Lucina in my file. Literally the day afterwards, Robin and Lucina are revealed for Smash and Shulk is revealed a month or so later. Pac Man's reveal wasn't associated with any game I had played recently, but I just remember how mind blowing it was to see him in the game after a childhood of playing him.

For Ultimate, Everyone is Here. I had only been expecting the Ice Climbers to be returning from previous games and I was nervous that some of my favorite's might get cut, so seeing Everyone is here made me excited beyond belief. Prior to the trailer I had been listening to Metal Gear Solid music from Brawl and I thought how much of a miracle it would be if Snake actually returned (he was probably the character most of us were least expecting to be back because of Konami and Kojima's falling out). Seeing him in the trailer made me freak out.

Nominations: Chun-Li X 5

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Man, this is such a pleasant thread to read. Smash memories? Let's do this.

1. I distinctly remember playing a normal 4-player Smash 64 match against some buddies of mine in Hyrule Castle for the first time as, like, 10-year-olds. Between the bob-ombs, tornadoes, Poke Balls, bumpers, and just general character attacks, I remember us all saying out loud, "This is insane. This is the craziest and most frantic game we've ever played, and nothing will top this!" Which, of course, is hilarious in hindsight. If I were to look back at that match, it probably looked so tame compared to 8-player Smash with Stage Morph, Final Smash meter, and Assist Trophies on.

2. "Sonic is in Brawl". This happened my senior year of high school, and it became our f*cking mantra. It completely blew all of our collective minds, and it became a sort of unofficial theme of that entire semester. We had all grown up with the whole "Sega Does What Nintendon't" rivalry that just doesn't exist today. It was vicious. And now, all of a sudden, Sonic the Hedgehog is a part of Nintendo's biggest crossover? And he'll be duking it out with Mario, Pikachu, Link? Sorry, to date, that's the most mind-blowing reveal I've ever lived through.

3. Duck Hunt Dog being confirmed. This one's very personal. What I've always appreciated about Smash is how it's grown into a sort of digital Nintendo museum, honoring both the newer franchises and the retro titles that helped make Nintendo the household name that it is today. Duck Hunt was the absolute first video game I ever experienced, back when I was a toddler who had no concept of what a video game was or could do. It was a very important game to me, so having that iconic, annoying-ass dog not just represented, but actually playable in a 3D model and everything really warmed my cold little heart.

4. In fact, a lot of reveals hold a lot of great memories. The surreal shock of seeing Cloud confirmed in 4, my brother and I laughing hysterically during Ridley's reveal trailer (neither of us thought he had a chance bth), and especially how teary eyed me, my brother, and our friends got at Banjo's reveal...no, seriously, tears of joy were shed on that day. Goosebumps. The shakes. That day is ingrained in my mind for the rest of time haha.

But honestly, I think "Everyone is Here" takes the cake. There was just nothing like it, still hasn't been, and I'm honestly not sure if there ever will be again. We all take it for granted so much in these Fighter's Pass days, but man, I urge you to go back and rewatch that entire segment of the E3 announcement. It was a gamechanger, and it still gets me downright pumped for this game all over again.

(Also, controversial opinion, but I think back fondly to the Grinch Leak days. Maybe because I spend more time talking about it in-person with people instead of online, so the speculation and mystery was more fun and exciting than violently annoying).

At the end of the day, knowing that I can play a match between Sonic the Hedgehog, the Duck Hunt duo, Banjo and Kazooie, Daisy, Simon flipping Belmont, Ridley, all three Kanto starter Pokemon, and even an impossibly accurate Skull Kid costume on an HD rendered Fountain of Dreams stage is more than enough for me to create enough new choice Smash memories for a long-ass time!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Well, seeing as the day's still going. . .
I'm gonna mostly keep this announcements and the like, and not go too much into actually playing the game. So what comes to mind is. . .

1. Pretty much the entire pre-release period of Smash 4 from December of 2013 to the release of the 3DS version, to the release of the Wii U version. Of course, the game was announced before that, but during that time, not much happened that really got me hooked. The newcomers were nice, but with December of that year, it got really good. Rosalina was one of those characters that I low-key wanted since I played Mario Galaxy. Little Mac I had no personal connection with, but his trailer was really nice from a visual standpoint, and he looked fun to play. More Pokémon was always good, even if the choice of Greninja somewhat confused me. Palutena was another character that I absolutely wanted to get in, because I loved Kid Icarus Uprising, and again, the visual style of her trailer was amazing. Mii Fighters and Pac-Man were similarly cool, though not the big hype announcements for me. The big hype for me came with the reveal of the Fire Emblem newcomers, though - like pretty much everyone else, I expected Chrom, though I personally preferred Lucina. So to see her get in (even if it was as a clone), together with a "I didn't know I wanted this until I saw it" pick like Robin? It was just the most amazing thing, especially since I had just gotten into Fire Emblem the year prior. The greatest announcement for me was Shulk, though. With how obscure and niche Xenoblade Chronicles was, discovering and playing it "on my own" when it came out here in Europe made it a rather personal game to me, and Shulk became pretty much instantly my most wanted character for Smash 4. It was a bit of a shame that his inclusion was leaked beforehand by the ESRB leak, but that did little to hamper my enjoyment. And then lastly, the return of Mewtwo was similarly great.

2. The reveal of Cloud. I have no history with Final Fantasy VII, but as far as third-parties that I have no connection with go? He was probably the best possible choice.

3. The final Smash 4 Direct. I was on the minority of people that actually enjoyed Corrin's inclusion, so that was a good start for me. Roy coming back left a pretty sour taste in my mouth, since I really can't stand him, so they kinda redeemed Fire Emblem in Smash for me. Though it did help that Fates wasn't out yet in the West, and I couldn't really see the game's quality for myself. That aside, Bayonetta was a character I legitimately wanted, so her inclusion also left me satisfied. And to this day, she remains the last third-party character to make it into Smash that I actually care about.

4. Ultimate's reveal + Inkling reveal. Inkling were my initial most wanted, so having them confirmed right off the bat was nice. Link with his BotW design was also a plus.

5. Everyone is here. Do I even need to say anything else?

6. And this last one's the only one not directly releated to announcements and pre-release periods: My time back in the Brawl modding community. There was some pretty nice stuff possible with all that, and I did actually do some model and texture edits myself, such as making a rather decent Felix (Golden Sun) mod over Ike.

Nominating Concept: Any Xenoblade newcomer x5.

Troykv

Smash Master
It's hard to pin point a particular memory because Smash have been with me since so long ago that I can't think in a world without Smash Bros... Perhaps the only exceptions that I can particularly remember being my reaction to Terry's moveset (my inner SNK Fan was overflowing of joy) and Megaman's reveal.

So ...

I'm thankful of all the good memories and stories Smash allows us to have.

I'm thankful

• for giving me the opportunity to known franchises I had never of before
  • for specially making me know Fire Emblem and with that a lot of my life.
  • for making dream, realities
  • for reuniting games and series
  • of course for making the greatest celebration of Nintendo and Gaming ever.

Last edited:
Top Bottom