• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Blue brought up Tom's money gimmick in his moveset, which is a great idea. But I sometimes feel like these movesets that center around a certain theme should come from characters where that is the theme of the game. If we're going to have a character who's theme is money, then wouldn't it be better if that was the big theme of the game?

Honestly I think Rusty Slugger from Rusty's Real Deal Baseball would be a better fit for Blue's moveset... Sort of. Combine that with some baseball moves.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Lip

Chance: 2%

Not many people know her, being a Japan only character. Heck, Panel de Pon turned into the Yoshi-themed Tetris Attack to appeal more to the western audience. I recall some considered characters in the past being rejected due to being to obscure to the west. Besides that, she's just not that relevant and popular and the Lip stick already being an item might also be an issue.

Want: 5%

I'm not a huge guy on puzzle games, besides puyo puyo. Doesn't interest me.

Predictions for Agumon: 8.66%

Nominations: Leon Kennedy x5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Lip

Chances: 5%

By virtue of being a Nintendo character alone does she have a chance. I wouldn't count Lip's Stick as much of anything since that item has been around since like what, Melee? She is a relative unknown in the US due to her games getting re-skinned with Yoshi and Pokemon. Even Puyo Puyo is more likely of getting a rep, at least a few of those games have been released stateside and have Protaganist who have appeared in games in the US. Panel de Pon also as far as I can know lacks the same level of popularity or relevance as other puzzle series like Puyo Puyo or Tetris, even in Japan. Once again, she is a Nintendo character so she has that going for her, but that is about it.

Want: 0%
Nothing against her, I just don't care about Panel de Pon. I never played Yoshi's Avalanche of Pokemon Puzzle League and Lip just don't really care about. That said I wouldn't be bothered by her inclusion, I just have no interest in it. I honestly would rather have Arle Nadja to represent puzzle games.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yes!! It's Lip's day! Check out this 3D model me and a bunch of the guys in the Lip support thread commissioned. It's almost complete.

Now then.

Chance: 70%

(edit: I previously claimed that Sakurai wanted her in Brawl, but I am unable to find the interview where I read this so I cannot verify this)

Now that we're at the fifth game in the series, Nintendo is both running out of franchises and excuses. Wish it didn't have to come down to this but I believe the fifth time will be the charm for her. It's finally time Lip caught her big break - she is the star of Nintendo's most unique and competitive puzzle game series and deserves to be recognized. Many Nintendo games are teeming with references to her and her game, such as her flower wand which has been in the game since Melee. But the time for these small references and nods is over. It is now time to bring her into the spotlight.

Want: 100%

What can I say? I loved the hell out of Tetris Attack as a kid, and after discovering Lip and her friends some time later, I was utterly charmed by them. Lip represents my nostalgia for what I feel is still the greatest Nintendo console ever made, the SNES. Her game espouses the bright, cheery graphics, fun gameplay and wonderful music that I've come to adore from my favorite SNES games. I'd feel truly elated if she got in Smash at long last.

Last edited:

N. Onymous

Smash Champion
NNID
Midnuh
Switch FC
SW-5043-4045-6926
Lip
Chance: 30%
Definitely relatively low. I'm not sure if Intelligent Systems is the only company that can or will ever make Panel de Pon, but regardless it's the company primarily credited for making the game, and these days they're all about that Fire Emblem. The "characters from Japan-only or dead series are lower-priority" rule from SSB4 (which I always thought was silly and arbitrary consider Marth, Roy, Lucas, and, oh yeah, the concept of retro characters in general...but never mind), as well as the general trend towards advertising popular recent releases in said game, is potentially the biggest killer to her odds. Considering how few viable new characters were introduced between Sm4sh and Sma5h, though--essentially just Inkling, who we know is in already, and maybe Spring Man--that may be changing this time around if they don't want to fall back on third-parties (which I can't see Nintendo doing) or characters from existing series (which, outside a few obvious choices like Ridley and K. Rool, would lack hype). Sakurai's expressed fondness for the Panel de Pon series before, although it was in an "I wonder if anyone even knows who Lip is" kind of way, and Super Smash Bros. is well-known for both introducing international players to Japan-only characters and reviving old, obscure franchises for a modern audience. For all we know, Nintendo and Sora could have changed their minds for this one. Here's hoping.

Only because I can't go above 100. Lip is basically the only character I still want in Smash at this point. Little Mac and Mega Man already made the cut for the last game, and Inkling was the first newcomer revealed here. Lippy is more female representation, she's got so much untapped potential for a fun, legitimately unique moveset...and she's really, really cute. I'm not expecting her, but I'd legitimately weep with happiness if she turned up in-game. Fingers crossed!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lip

Agh this hurts but
Chance: 10%
While this might be the first Smash game to really dig into the barrel of forgotten/retro franchises for representation (since it’s coming so soon after 4 that Nintendo hasn’t had time to come up with many new IP), she faces fierce competition in that sphere as well, although she’s one of the likeliest. Her design and puzzle game origins make her stand out, and at the very least Sakurai acknowledges that her series has something to offer (through her weapon).

Agh c’mon Nintendo give us Panel de Pon stateside. Lip would be such a unique character in Smash and would probably really break out popularity-wise.

Agumon prediction: 5%
I really hope I’m overshooting it.

Nominations: Mach RiderX5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Lip: 13.5% Chance
Retro is always a pretty big pool to pick from, but I think Lip stands a good chance to get introduced. A puzzle block playstyle based around linking together her traps or whatever her game's like, is very interesting and personally I think it's time for Smash to truly incorporate a true trapping playstyle instead of throwing in hints of it here and there.

I know someone who really wants this and I too am interested in her potential

Pikmin Newcomer x5

PsychoJosh

Nothing against her, I just don't care about Panel de Pon. I never played Yoshi's Avalanche of Pokemon Puzzle League and Lip just don't really care about. That said I wouldn't be bothered by her inclusion, I just have no interest in it. I honestly would rather have Arle Nadja to represent puzzle games.
You want a third party puzzle franchise represented in Smash before Nintendo's own flagship puzzle franchise? This is completely backwards and illogical to me.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Lip

Chance: 0.01%

Undeniably my most-wanted character, Lip is an incredibly unlikely newcomer because she's obscure, Japan-only, lacks any meaningful recent appearances, isn’t from a massively-successful franchise, and doesn't represent any important part of Nintendo's history.

I doubt her inclusion could be justified in the first place. Other Japan-only characters have been added before, but these have always been a matter of circumstance. Characters have been added despite the fact that they were Japan-only for their own specific reasons. Fire Emblem was important enough in Japan for :4marth:to be added in Melee. :4lucas:was a special case because of Mother 3’s lengthy development period. There’s the idea that she could be a retro rep, but I'd argue that she wouldn't fit that role because the Puzzle League franchise isn’t retro. Puzzle League has had releases on the SNES, Gameboy, N64, GBA, Gamecube, and DS. The 3DS even technically counts since Animal Crossing got a Puzzle League minigame added as DLC. Lip not having a recent appearance in the series doesn’t make her a candidate for a retro choice. In fact, I’d argue it hurts her chances of appearing even more as it just makes her another character that is no longer relevant to their own franchise. It’s the same thing many argue is going against the inclusion of King K. Rool and Krystal.

A common argument in support of her is content from Panel de Pon being in Smash. Admittedly, in the past, I felt her acknowledgement in Smash meant anything for her potential inclusion, but it's become obvious how barely relevant to her chances these things actually are. Lip's Stick was added in Melee introducing the flower effect, which has since become a Smash staple mechanic. It’s utilized in several custom moves, Assist Trophies, an option for Special Smash, and more. Lip's Stick has only needed to stay around to carry the effect. It may as well be more associated with Smash than Lip, since the only way it traces back to Panel de Pon is that it has Lip's name on it. Her Garbage Block appears as a Kirby transformation, but it's merely a visual callback added in Melee and doesn't mean much for her chances at all. Lip's Theme, again, barely indicates anything for her chances when every game from Clu Clu Land to Shin Onigashima was able to get music in Brawl.

I’m probably the only person that feels this way, but one of the biggest hits to her chances is that there’s been no content that demonstrates a deeper understanding of Lip as a character. Takamaru and the Prince of Sable were very lucky to get the opportunity of being Assist Trophies; At the time, the two were Japan-only characters, yet the developers still put in the effort to get to know more about their games and the characters themselves. It showed that there was enough interest in their source material to have them physically appear on the battlefield using abilities faithful to their original game appearances, that there was a genuine understanding what the characters are capable of and how their abilities could be translated into Smash. My point is that this definitely shows more dedication to a character than just having their main weapon available as an item, and makes me seriously doubt Sakurai or any of the developers care enough about Lip to even be considering her.

Her chances may have already been dead in the water since the beginning, but I personally feel the undeniable nail in the coffin for her was Animal Crossing Puzzle League. Characters that don’t have a future are rarely considered for Smash, and AC Puzzle League feels like Nintendo’s way of flat-out openly saying, “we’re not bringing this character back.” It made it absolutely clear that there’s no desire to bring the franchise back to its roots, leaving Lip to continue being shafted in the foreseeable future. Even if Sakurai doesn’t know for sure if the characters he adds will necessarily make appearances in future games, I don’t see why he would go out of his way to consider a character that has been so visibly rejected and clearly unwanted by Nintendo at every turn.

I would unironically sooner bet on getting allegedly “impossible” characters like Banjo-Kazooie, Sora, and Goku. All of them have widespread appeal and are important to Nintendo and/or gaming to some degree. Lip on the other hand has done nothing for Nintendo nor gaming and would only appeal to anyone in Japan who somehow remembers her and the small handful of people outside Japan that know her. I was going to rate her 0, but she’s objectively been acknowledged by the developers three times, though since the representation she's gotten is so paltry, it means virtually nothing for her potential inclusion.

Nominations: Wonder Red x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Lip want: 0%

Her moveset doesn't interest me much. For a puzzle character, I think something like a bubble shooter (e.g. puzzle bobble) would have a better moveset.

Nominations:

Neku x5

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Lip

Lip had been almost abandoned by her own series, but still winds up in cameos every now and then, and has a few figurines even. The real reason I rate her so low is because she's almost completely unknown outside of Japan, being cut out of her original game's international release and the only exposure she's really had is her wand in Smash Bros- and I suppose more recently her costume in Animal Crossing, though she's not ever mentioned by name there, so that... doesn't really count to me. I don't see the odds being too good for her unfortunately. Maybe she might need to be revived and have a game (without her transplanted out of it) released in the West first.

Want: 80%
While I'm a relatively new fan of Lip, actually only having found out about her months ago, I really love her design and she would make a great addition IMO. I like her games, and she deserves a spot in Smash.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I'm going to double abstain for today. Not familiar or invested with Lip enough to give an accurate rating.

------

Predictions

Agumon (Digimon): 6.23%

Certainly iconic, but competition for the second Namco slot seems fierce.

------

Nominations

Corrin (Fire Emblem): x5

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Lip
Chance: 6%
Japan-only and not well known. If it stopped Takamaru, it'll almost certainly stop her.

Want: 70%
I've only played a little of Panel de Pon, but I really love the idea of what she could bring in terms of both moveset potential and cast diversity. I'd also like to see an official English release of her game(s?).

Nominate Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x5

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Chance: 5%

Probably never gonna happen unless PdP gets a revival or Sakurai starts going for older characters again.

Her game is an absolute gem and I'd love to see her though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I'm here again. But its for Lip.

My most wanted (tbh, my ONLY wants) are K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, Lip, and Dixie Kong in that order. Out of them, Lip is easily the least likely. I'm actually very optimistic about all but Isaac and Lip, and even then, I'm somewhat optimistic about Isaac due to his (apparent) massive ballot popularity.

The only thing Lip has is that Sakurai seems to like Panel de Pon, and even then, its only extended to adding a few small references to Lip (Lip's Stick, Lip's Theme) and Panel de Pon (Garbage Block Down+B for Kirby).

Her main chance is Sakurai deciding to add in an obscure SNES character alongside an obscure NES character (when he typically only does obscure NES characters). I wish I could give her higher than this, but I just can't.

Want: 90%
My most wanted (tbh, my ONLY wants) are K. Rool, Isaac, Ridley, Lip, and Dixie Kong in that order.

I love Panel de Pon. I played Tetris Attack to death on the SNES, and later found out about the original series, Panel de Pon, and really liked the fairy characters. I want more Panel de Pon acknowledgement in Smash. I want the fairies to come back. I want everything about it.

But... she's not my MOST wanted. So, I'm only giving her a 90% here.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Lip
Chance 1%
Want 4%
I love Puzzle League but I have no interest in this character. She was dropped entirely for every western release of the game and hasn't been seen in years. I do hope they continue the series though, I'd love to see a small e'shop version of it though and I'd love a puzzle league stage. But the character doesn't interest me

Nominate Lara croft x5

Prediction Digimon 11.4%

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Lip

Chance: 15%

I don't think Lip is out of the question, but I also don't really think she's going to happen. As others have said, there's a good chance that Smash 5 may be using more characters from older parts of Nintendo's history, since there aren't many new big ones since Smash 4. Assuming that this is indeed the case, then characters like Lip are in a better position than they were previously! Panel de Pon - or "Puzzle League" - is one of Nintendo's puzzle franchises, a genre which is only represented through Dr. Mario at present. So that could be another point in her favor - she could represent puzzle games with a more puzzle-inspired moveset than Dr. Mario, who's a Mario clone.

On the other hand, she faces stiff competition from Puyo Puyo's Arle Nadja, as they both share several qualities. They're both from a puzzle game, they're both young girls, they're both from games with an anime artstyle... basically, a lot of things align! But I think that many things indicate that Arle would probably get in before Lip. First off - if you ignore the Animal Crossing Puzzle League minigame in 2016's New Leaf update, which didn't include Lip anyways, then Panel de Pon hasn't had a release for 11 years (or 9 if you count the condensed DSiWare version of Panel de Pon DS). On Arle's side, she's been a part of two series, Puyo Puyo and Madou Monogatari. The latter began in 1989, and saw fairly consistent releases through to 2005. Meanwhile, Arle also appears in Puyo Puyo, another series with a consistent release schedule - it began in 1995, and new games are still released today! This gives Arle far more relevance. Another point against Lip is the popularity of each of them. Lip and Arle are both fairly niche outside of Japan... but how are they doing over there? Lip is still pretty obscure, while Arle is scoring 16th out of all characters in the SourceGaming Japan ballot fan poll, placing her as more wanted than Cloud and Bayonetta. Granted, it's a fan poll, so results aren't necessarily indicative of the real results, but it gives an idea of how popular she is. Puyo Puyo's recognized as an eSport in Japan now, and seems like it'll only continue to grow. With Sega working with Nintendo and Smash now, and characters, music, stages, and other content under their belt, I honestly don't see Lip getting in before Arle.

Want: 10%
She represents an obscure Nintendo game, and I'm always a fan of that. She also represents the puzzle genre, which could use a bit more of a presence in Smash. But honestly, I want Arle more than Lip, myself. Arle's got a longer history that spans almost 30 years, and has been in both puzzle games and JRPG/dungeon crawling games. Because of this, she not only has puzzle mechanics to work with, but her abilities as an RPG protagonist to improve her possibilities. Lip's only been in puzzle games, and so that's all she can really pull from. Not that having less source material to work with makes for a bad character - Ice Climbers have already disproven that - but Lip simply has less appeal to me with Arle doing what she can and more.

-----

Agumon chance prediction: 13.56%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Last edited:
Lip
Chance: 65%

In my opinion, with whats been happening with Lip and Panel de Pon throughout these past few years makes me feel like there are hints that something bigger is gonna happen to her and the franchise. I will be making comparisons to what happened with Takamaru before his appearance in Smash. After all, it feels like they are in the same boat. I feel like they are going the same route with Lip as they did Takamaru. In Takamaru's case, Nintendo Land is a game about attractions of Nintendo's crew as expected, but out of the blue and for no reason at all, Takamaru gets one too. In which of course felt out of place, unless they were was hinting at something bigger for him in the future. Like..... finally his game came out in the west and boom Takamaru made it in as an assist trophy. Now in Lip's case again I feel it's kinda the same thing. Why out of all things did they choose Puzzle League to be what you play on the 3DS in Animal Crossing? They also didn't stop there. They found it was necessary to go the extra length to include Lip as a costume. Almost like they want us to get to know her better before doing something bigger for her. I can totally see us getting Lip / Panel de Pon here in the west or possibly get a newer game in the franchise. All thanks to Lip's inclusion in Smash. I rest my case.

Lip is really the only character I want in the game to be anything she can. Tetris Attack is my number one all time absolute favorite game in the world.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman

Not really an option, IMO. There is not much interest from Nintendo. She is an obscure character from the Japanese version of a Tetris clone. She was so irrelevant, that in the Western releases she had to be cut in favor of Pokémon. Nintendo is not going to give her any chance.

As for what I want, no, I don't like Lip very much. I understand, her music and her stick are an icon of Smashing, I get it. But come on, she does not deserve a slot in Smash 5. There are for sure many more options. There are several interesting females in the Nintendo universe that hadn't the opportunity, such as Micaiah or Sami, which BTW would be much more interesting options for a platform/fighting game like this.

PsychoJosh

As for what I want, no, I don't like Lip very much. I understand, her music and her stick are an icon of Smashing, I get it. But come on, she does not deserve a slot in Smash 5. There are for sure many more options. There are several interesting females in the Nintendo universe that hadn't the opportunity, such as Micaiah or Sami, which BTW would be much more interesting options for a platform/fighting game like this.
Lip deserves a spot far more than either of those characters.

The last, and I mean absolute DEAD LAST thing Smash needs is more Fire Emblem characters. Lip is far more interesting and cuter, and as she is the main protagonist of an as-of-yet unrepresented game, she has more going for her than tertiary characters from an already over-represented franchise.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Lip

Chance: 12%
The more characters become playable, the higher the chance a character like Lip becomes. I'm sure she's at least a consideration. But Puyo Puyo Tetris really is blossoming into an eSport, and Nintendo has a great relationship with Sega; they might go with the admittedly-similar Arle Nadja.

There's something about this idea that I really like. I'm sure she'd be an excellent addition. And if it ensured localizations and new releases for the Panel de Pon series, it'd be well worth it.

Nominations:
9-Volt x5

:171:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Lip

Chance: 35%

Very clearly a beloved and actually often requested character on the Japan side of things, I wouldn't be surprised if she was hovering in the upper 15th percentile of ballot requests from that region. At the same time, her unfamiliarity with western audiences due to the Panel de Pon/Puzzle League games going for odd licenses in their localizations (Tetris when the game isn't even remotely Tetris like [see what the Tetris Company thought of the notion here on the Wikipedia page], Yoshi's Island, Pokemon Puzzle League, and recently Animal Crossing) makes her feel like a character who is super obscure yet is actually the rightful face of one of Nintendo's longest and most highly thought of recurring franchises.

She is a part of my personal highest tier of Smash wants and has been there since pre-Brawl with both Takamaru and Mike Jones as unlikely as the latter is. A puzzle game character that fights with their own puzzle game's mechanics has been loooooong overdue and Panel de Pon's gameplay consisting of directly swapping and switching elements chosen with a cursor while also spawning/conjuring blocks that fall from the sky are game play hooks that is SO easy to see applications of in a game where positioning and spacing are already such big deals. For all of those familiar with the manga/anime One Piece, Lip essentially has game play potential that is just Trafalgar Law's devil fruit ability and the idea of something like that being in place for a Smash title is super enticing to me.

What's more, Lip joining would be a really awesome way of re-defining the future of the Puzzle League/PdP series with the star heroine back, (assuming Takamaru happens eventually) could serve as a means to beginning "overlooked Nintendo character reunion party" with Little Mac and Takamaru as success stories from Minmin Island (Captain Rainbow story hook; they were among the more prominent faces that were on the island and were featured quite prominently there), and would really be just a fun character to see in motion for sure. Not to mention bringing all of PdP's amazing music with her.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Lip

Chance: 15%
A fair(l)y popular character from a long-running, respected franchise. The only reason it's so low is because the Puzzle League series isn't exactly pumping out new entries, and they're usually the spin-off ones themed after other series. I'm not taking into consideration the fact that she's mostly Japan exclusive, for reasons I'll go into below.

Want: 50%
I have no emotional attachment to Lip, and the only Puzzle League game I've ever played was Pokemon Puzzle League. However, I definitely think she needs to be put in the game, as reparation for her erasure from the international releases of all her games. It's absolutely criminal that they did that, and it shouldn't count against her chances to be included.

Agumon prediction: 5%

Nominations:
Viewtiful Joe x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Lip

Chance: 1%
Obscure retro pick. Takamaru, being a character a lot of people are banking on being Smash switch's retro pick failed to make it in several times due to his obscurity. And so far Panel de Pon has only received representation in the form of an item.

Not interested. Neither the character nor her games appeal to me.

----

Agumon-14.05%
The Pokemon vs. Digimon debate.

----

Seems Dark Samus is on the schedule for next week (good)...but it'd be a shame if I didn't nominate someone.

Lara Croft x5

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Lip

Chance: 30%
In the smash Bros series she has had her blocks and her wand in the game. And the wand has been a main stay since Melee. I do believe Mr Sakurai had a soft spot for her game in the past. Though that doesn't guarantee a spot on the roster.

Want : 35%
Lip has almost no actual move set so to speak. But that's said about Captain Falcon, they can work with it. I would be interested how a Fairy would play.

Nomination Django x5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Lip

Chance: 5% - An unlikely pick for a new retro character. The most we've seen of Panel de Pon in Smash already is Lip's Stick and a single music track. The only way I can really see her making a full appearance is as an Assist Trophy, which I also find to be unlikely.

Want: 1% - She's a Nintendo character with potential, sure, so I wouldn't mind if she joined. However, I have no attachment to her, and there's a plethora of other characters I'd like to see included before her, so I wouldn't bat an eye if she didn't join either.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x5

D

Deleted member

Lip

Want: 15%

Obscure, Japan-only, only her moveset which would take inspiration from Panel de Pon's puzzle elements can make her to be considered.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Agumon prediction: 9.56%

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lip

Chance: 3%
With each Smash game, she becomes more and more unlikely. I know people are bringing up her popularity in Japan, but if Sakurai held back Takamaru because of his obscurity in the West, what chance does someone like Lip have? Yeah, she might have an item that's been in Smash since Melee, but Lip herself hasn't seen much more than that aside from a remix in Brawl. Meanwhile, most of her retro competition has been getting more notable attention, both inside and outside of Smash.

Overall, I just don't see it happening. She's just not as iconic as the other options, and she doesn't have enough support overseas for me to think Sakurai wouldn't be deterred from her obscurity. Honestly, just seeing Lip as an Assist Trophy is a big enough miracle in it's own right (But to be fair, Sable Prince makes Lip look like a legendary icon by comparison, yet the former still got in).

I first started seeing requests for this character in Brawl. I guess I can understand the desire for a puzzle character, but I won't be rooting for her just because of that. I have no attachment to her, and there's plenty of different retro Nintendo characters I want before her.

Agumon prediction: 5.2%

Nominations: Labo Man x5

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Lip

she could be the retro pick but even that is unpredictable at best we don't know who is ever the retro pick. Not to mention she has been japan only. And I think the Lip Stick is a perfect way to represent the series in smash.
Chance 25%

Want
could be cool with a puzzle based moveset. But I have so many other choices I would want over her.
want 30%

predicting agumon at 4.5%

Nominating labo guy x5
and I use my extra five ot save rick,koo and kine x5

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Lip
I'm not saying there can't be multiple retro newcomers, but... I don't see how Takamaru isn't the first choice. She's certainly not the worst #2 pick, but her getting in means she has to clear the hurdles of there being at least 2 retro newcomers and Sakurai choosing her over say Balloon Fighter who is universal as opposed to Japan exclusive.

No investment, but wouldn't be mad as long as Takamaru gets in first as he seems much more interesting to me.

Agumon: 2%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Tetris Attack

Chance: 1%

Lip's been big on these boards for a while, but she has a lot more standing in her way than some people care to admit.

Firstly, she is unknown in the west. Despite her wand and garbage block appearing in Smash, she hasn't even gotten so much as a trophy in any of the smash games. True, we've gotten characters unknown in the west before, but that seems to be an exception rather than a rule. Especially now that Smash is a bigger franchise, Sakurai seems to be more mindful of region-locked releases, which is outright stated as the reason that Little Mac (Brawl) and Takamaru (Sm4sh) were introduced as assists. Her only exposure in the west was a costume in an Animal Crossing game, which doesn't necessarily translate to people knowing everything about her.

Second, her series has been dormant for a while. People are billing her as a retro, but based on Sakurai's comments the retro slot is all but guaranteed to Takamaru at this point. She then also faces stiff competition from Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, and Mach Rider, with no guarantee that we'll get more than one retro rep - indeed it seems unlikely. Now she did get more exposure relatively recently...in Captain Rainbow, another unexported game, where she and a group of admitted forgotten Nintendo characters helped the hero, so that doesn't change her status much.

Third, her series is a puzzle game, and as such she isn't really seen doing anything other than acting as a background element. That's how it was so easy for NoA to just swap her out for Yoshi without affecting the game at all. Because of that, her moveset potential is weak. Yes, her support thread and yesterday's Nookie discussions have proven that a moveset can be created - that's always the case. But it does require taking a lot of liberties, and that time could be used elsewhere. Not to mention that her stick doesn't necessarily work in Smash the way it does in her home game.

I'd love more stages based on games which may or may not have reps, and puzzle games would make great stages. But before she even thinks about being a playable character, she needs to have a trophy first.

Personally, Lip does nothing for me. She's a bit too bubblegum for me - almost reminds me of something Lisa Frank would come up with. If anyone flower-themed got in, Daisy would be my first choice, and I'd take Takamaru as a retro over anyone else. If you want to introduce her to the west, just give her a trophy and be done with it.

Prediciton for Agumon: 4.6%
Nom: Skyrim x5

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Excitebiker x262
Pyra & Mythra x262
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x260
Cranky Kong x232
Masked Link x230
Concept: Skyrim representation x230
Wonder Red x227
Steve x222
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x210

Over 200:

Kamek x208
Gengar x205

199-150

Tingle x189
Linkle x185
Lloyd Irving x185
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x183
Parabo & Satebo x174
Papyrus x173
Concept: Masked Dedede Final Smash x170
Lara Croft x170
Sakura Shinguji x168
Sable Prince x158
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150

149-100

Tetra x147
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x145
Neku Sakuraba x144
Ryu Hayabusa x140
Thwomp x135
Django x135
Slippy Toad x132
Tsubasa Oribe x130
Scorpion x125
Katrielle Layton x122
Veteran: Corrin x117
Balloon Fighter x117
Fawful x116
Labo Guy/Robot x115
Octoling x110
DeMille x108
Ray x103
2B x101
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x100
Primarina x100

99-75

Leon Kennedy x99
Barbara x95
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x93
Smash Run x87
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Susie x86
Arcade Bunny x85
[Rerate] King K. Rool x85
Concept: Monster Hunter character x80
Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x80
Eevee x80
Klonoa x78
Dragonite x77
Fjorm x75
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x73
Stage: New Donk City x70
Gooey x69
Louie x65
Starfy x64
Zeraora (Pokémon) x63
Meowth x61
Breidablik Item x60
Tora & Poppi x57
Tails x55
Toon Zelda x55
Veteran: Roy x51
Veteran: Dr. Mario x51
[Rerate] Rex & Pyra x51
Rick/Coo/Kine x50
9-Volt x50

49-30:

Concept: Wars character x48

Ayumi Tachibana x44
Slime x40
Concept: Style Savvy character x39
Yu Narakumi x39
Neptune x38
Viridi x38
Veteran: Bayonetta x37
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x35
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x34
Doshin the Giant x32
Endou Mamoru x32
Concept: Transformation characters x30
Concept: Female Announcer x30
Nikki x30
Snorlax x29
Leo (FE Fates) x28
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x28
Concept: Indie Character x28
Mach Rider x28
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Ghirahim x26
Tiki x26
Solaire x26
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
T-Rex x25
Rowlet x25

24 and less:

Ninten x22
Concept: No Mega Evolutions x20
Concept: Boss Battles x15
Concept: Battlefield Stages x10
Joker x10
Concept: Multiple Voice Acting Options x10
Concept: Pac Man World-based Moveset x10
Black Mage x6
Alex Kidd x5
[Rerate] Daisy x5
Shadow x5
Lark x5
Saber x5
Orbulon x5
Zangoose x5
Kumatora x5
Blastoise x5
Ashley Miziku Robbins x5
Mushashi x5
Concept: 16-Player Smash x5
Concept: DLC Announcers x5
Fiora x5
Concept: Historical Character x5
Muddy Mole x5
Dr. Wright x5
Viewtful Joe x5
Masked Man x3
[Rerate] Squirtle x2
Stage: Metal Caverns x2

Changes:

A new top 9 - this is the final nine to be rated prior to E3. Nominate well!
Ray, Primarina, and DK/Diddy/Bowser voice clips break 100 noms
Pikmin newcomer and Dragonite break 75 noms
Rex & Pyra, 9-Volt, and Rick/Coo/Kine break 50 noms - they are safe from the purge
Rowlet breaks 25 noms
Interestingly enough despite the threat of a purge, a handful of new additions:Viewtful Joe, Dr. Wright, Muddy Mole, and a concept about historical characters all added at five nominations a piece.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Excitebiker x262
Pyra & Mythra x262
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x260
Cranky Kong x232
Masked Link x230
Concept: Skyrim representation x230
Wonder Red x227
Steve x222
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x210

Over 200:

Kamek x208
Gengar x205

199-150

Tingle x189
Linkle x185
Lloyd Irving x185
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x183
Parabo & Satebo x174
Papyrus x173
Concept: Masked Dedede Final Smash x170
Lara Croft x170
Sakura Shinguji x168
Sable Prince x158
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150

149-100

Tetra x147
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x145
Neku Sakuraba x144
Ryu Hayabusa x140
Thwomp x135
Django x135
Slippy Toad x132
Tsubasa Oribe x130
Scorpion x125
Katrielle Layton x122
Veteran: Corrin x117
Balloon Fighter x117
Fawful x116
Labo Guy/Robot x115
Octoling x110
DeMille x108
Ray x103
2B x101
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x100
Primarina x100

99-75

Leon Kennedy x99
Barbara x95
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x93
Smash Run x87
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Susie x86
Arcade Bunny x85
[Rerate] King K. Rool x85
Concept: Monster Hunter character x80
Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x80
Eevee x80
Klonoa x78
Dragonite x77
Fjorm x75
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x73
Stage: New Donk City x70
Gooey x69
Louie x65
Starfy x64
Zeraora (Pokémon) x63
Meowth x61
Breidablik Item x60
Tora & Poppi x57
Tails x55
Toon Zelda x55
Veteran: Roy x51
Veteran: Dr. Mario x51
[Rerate] Rex & Pyra x51
Rick/Coo/Kine x50
9-Volt x50

49-30:

Concept: Wars character x48
Ayumi Tachibana x44
Slime x40
Concept: Style Savvy character x39
Yu Narakumi x39
Neptune x38
Viridi x38
Veteran: Bayonetta x37
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x35
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x34
Doshin the Giant x32
Endou Mamoru x32
Concept: Transformation characters x30
Concept: Female Announcer x30
Nikki x30
Snorlax x29
Leo (FE Fates) x28
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x28
Concept: Indie Character x28
Mach Rider x28
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Ghirahim x26
Tiki x26
Solaire x26
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
T-Rex x25
Rowlet x25

24 and less:

Ninten x22
Concept: No Mega Evolutions x20
Concept: Boss Battles x15
Concept: Battlefield Stages x10
Joker x10
Concept: Multiple Voice Acting Options x10
Concept: Pac Man World-based Moveset x10
Black Mage x6
Alex Kidd x5
[Rerate] Daisy x5
Shadow x5
Lark x5
Saber x5
Orbulon x5
Zangoose x5
Kumatora x5
Blastoise x5
Ashley Miziku Robbins x5
Mushashi x5
Concept: 16-Player Smash x5
Concept: DLC Announcers x5
Fiora x5
Concept: Historical Character x5
Muddy Mole x5
Dr. Wright x5
Viewtful Joe x5
Masked Man x3
[Rerate] Squirtle x2
Stage: Metal Caverns x2

Changes:

A new top 9 - this is the final nine to be rated prior to E3. Nominate well!
And the anxiety kicks in...

But seriously, all of the characters I've wanted to rate have already been rated (or are about to be rated). If anyone needs help with a character, just let me know.

Top Bottom