• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh, this seems like a good time to return to the thread, even if I don't have anything important to say.

Concept: Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep

Chance: 10%

There are two things in particular that makes me thing about the possibilities in both sides of the argument... in one hand, Smash Bros Ultimate it's the first Smash since Smash 64 that lacks any known attempt to introduce a new Fire Emblem Character (Chrom is a semi-clone, and only was chose for popularity reasons), which is weird; and of course, Smash Bros 4 shows us the possibility of DLC being used to give us Fire Emblem Characters.

But in the other side... Smash Bros Ultimate's focus as a game it's a bit different compared with the previous Smash Games because of their relationship with the Ballot (Base Game) and surprises (DLC), that the idea of a 3H Character wouldn't really fit.

Want: Abstain (40% if needed)

I don't have a particular opinion about having 3H Characters in Smash... Maybe I change my opinion when I play the game (I have listen some promising stuff about Edelgard, but isn't something officially released).

____

Predicitons:

Black Mage: 1.56%

Nominations:

Crash Bandicoot rerate x5

D

Deleted member

3 Houses and over a million homeless people are still roaming around

Chance: 35%

"New to the series" is a tagline I certainly see often when it comes to DLC, and it doesn't guarantee that the Fighter Pass will consist of franchises yet to be in Smash. It's certainly possible that Byleth might be in the Fighter Pass with a stage from 3H and a few more Fire Emblem songs in the mix. Joker came with P5 only spirits, and from the looks of it, 3H has enough characters to warrant DLC spirits of their own. Perhaps the 1 major thing that could prevent a 3H rep is if they decide to add them all as spirits at a later date like the Labo VR stuff.

Want: 40%

I'm fairly indifferent to it but still open to the idea as long as the fighter pack looks fun and fits my preferred playstyle. Plus, a part of me wants to see the reactions to adding Byleth to Smash (cause I doubt Edelgard will rep 3 Houses since she's not the main protagonist). It'd be a fun ride to see if the reactions are similar to that of the Phantom Strikers outside Smashboards.

D

Deleted member

(cause I doubt Edelgard will rep 3 Houses since she's not the main protagonist)
The funny thing is, Chrom is arguably the main protagonist from Awakening but Robin and Lucina got into Smash before him (I'm glad he's in now though). Sakurai is pretty good at being unpredictable, I'll give him that. He does things to make it seem like there are some 'rules' he's following and then once we believe those rules are firm, he breaks them.

D

Deleted member

The funny thing is, Chrom is arguably the main protagonist from Awakening but Robin and Lucina got into Smash before him (I'm glad he's in now though). Sakurai is pretty good at being unpredictable, I'll give him that. He does things to make it seem like there are some 'rules' he's following and then once we believe those rules are firm, he breaks them.
I guess that's true, although Robin was the Avatar of Awakening and I believe Lucina was originally supposed to be an Alt of Marth but became her own Fighter instead. With Byleth being the Avatar, I don't really see Edelgard being the 1 chosen to be a fighter even if she happens to be the most popular.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I guess that's true, although Robin was the Avatar of Awakening and I believe Lucina was originally supposed to be an Alt of Marth but became her own Fighter instead. With Byleth being the Avatar, I don't really see Edelgard being the 1 chosen to be a fighter even if she happens to be the most popular.
Lucina was an alt of Marth from the start in Smash 4, yes.

All 3 are main characters to begin with, that said. The idea only Chrom has top billing is kind of silly. They're all majorly important, with the story revolving around all 3. They just have different unique roles in how the story works. Chrom simply didn't have enough to separate him from Marth and Ike, while Robin did. That made the choice easy. Incidentally, Chrom became an Echo of Roy... who is a cross between Marth and Ike in gameplay as is. Funny that.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
:urg:
Yeah, I know. I want to rate this lower, but FE characters have been an exception to the "too recent" rule on multiple occasions, so there's still a chance of the Smash devs repeating that mistake again.
Want: 0%
I prefer characters in Smash to have some history behind them, or ay least they should have a reason for getting in besides "their game was released pretty close to a Smash game." If I could give a negative score, I would.

Black Mage prediction: 3%
Noms: SE rep x5

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chance: 50%
Half and half. Depends if they want a Nintendo character at all.

Want: 100%
Edelgard all the way. I'd take her over most of the common suggestions for newcomers, honestly. Axes, magic, and the authority skill together would be great.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Fire Emblem Three Houses Rep

Chance: 25%

I could see Nintendo pushing another promotional character, but with the way that this fighters pass is seemingly going with surprising third party characters, another Fire Emblem rep is unlikely. Especially since Sakurai said along the lines of there being enough Fire Emblem reps when Corrin came out and Chrom was an easy and popular echo fighter.

Want: 10%

If they use a character with an axe or lance that might be cool, but even then showing someone like Edelgard after Joker would be disappointing to me. There are so many characters like Banjo, Doom Slayer, and Phoenix Wright that would contribute so much more to the game (and honestly are much more cooler) than another character from a franchise that already has 7 reps.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
Dark Magician in Defense Position

Chance: 40%

Black Mage is in a bit of a tight spot. On the one hand, it's certainly one of the most popular and recognizable Final Fantasy characters, especially as a choice for Smash. On the other hand, Black Mage faces stiff competition both in terms of Square Enix characters in general (Dragon Quest), and within its home series (Sephiroth), any of whom Nintendo and Square may view as a more marketable option. Also, though I doubt this affects Black Mage's chances that much, the Final Fantasy series in Ultimate is still labeled solely as Final Fantasy 7, which the Black Mage was not in.

Want: 90%
Black Mage is an excellent DLC choice for Ultimate. They rep the pre-7 Final Fantasy games, and would a true Dark Mage to the Smash Bros. roster. I also just really like their design. The only reason this is not a 100% rating for Want is because Kefka is my absolute most wanted choice for a Final Fantasy character.

Nominations: Glover x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Black Mage

Chance: 3%
Black Mage is fairly iconic (how many other characters can boast about playing basketball with Mario?) but we already have Cloud who I think is essentially the ideal FF rep. Yes I know Cloud is technically a FF7 rep but I doubt Nintendo/Sakurai cares about that technicality to the point where they'd add another FF character just to fill in that void. There are a ton of other SE characters for them to choose from so I don't see us getting another FF rep anytime soon. Even if we were to get another FF rep characters like Sepiroth, Noctis, and Terra Branford would probably have higher priority.

Want: 5%
There are so many other SE characters I'd want to see in Smash before Black Mage. The fact that I never really got into FF doesn't help but either way I think Sephiroth or Terra Branford would be better additions to the cast.

Metal Sonic chance prediction: 1.31% (definitely has less priority than other Sonic characters)

Nominations:
[Rerate] Crash x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Black Mage

Chance 10 - Man, not gonna lie. Kinda want this for Mario Hoops call back reasons, but I don't see it happening. If they could only get 2 music tracks and 0 spirits for Final Fantasy in the last 2 games I'm having a tough time seeing where they get another character.

Want 50 - Love Mario Hoops and Mario sports games in general. Really waiting for that Super Sluggers port or remake for the swtich. Otherwise I don't really have much attachment to the character

Noms
Ellie x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wonder what happened with Crash to cause such a massive influx of nominations. Afaik nothing's changed.

Amy Rose x115
[Rerate] Erdrick x107
Freddi Fish and Luther (Freddi Fish) x105
Creeper x105
Morrigan Aensland x105
Monokuma x105
Concept: Microsoft Rep x102

150 - 101

Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x101

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x100
Spyro x91
Boss: Kracko x85
Frogger x85
Crono x85
Kamek x82
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Kyle Hyde x80
9-Volt x74
Glover x70
Jin Kazama x65
Concept: Square Enix rep x65
Frisk x65
[Rerate] Crash Bandicoot x65
Ninten x64
Adeleine (Kirby) x58
Saber (Fate) x55
Papyrus x51

50 - 25

X (Mega Man) x47
Decidueye x41
Concept: Valve rep x40
[Rerate] 2B x35
Velvet Crowe x35
Rundas x35
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Concept: DLC challenges x30
Gooey (Kirby) x29
Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x28
Heavy (Team Fortress) x26
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25
Boss: Perfect Chaos x25
Ellie (The Last of Us) x25

Under 25

Earthworm Jim x20
Reporter & Wrestler x20
Tora and Poppi x20
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x18
Brian (Quest 64) x17
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Amaterasu x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x15
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x15
Specter Knight x15
Gex x12
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes fighter x11
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Another joke character x10
Black Shadow x10
Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) x10
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo Fighter of K. Rool x8
Toon Zelda x8
Marx (Kirby) x8
King Boo x7
[Rerate] Steve? x6
Magolor x6
Mike Jones x6
[Rerate] Banjo-Kazooie x6
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
Concept: Master Chief Mii Costume x5
Worm (Worms) x5
[Rerate] Sans x5
Balloon Fighter x5
Tiz Arrior x5
[Rerate] Sora (Kingdom Hearts) x5
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5
Lizalfos x4
Eight (Dragon Quest) x3
[Rerate] Slime (Dragon Quest) x3
Urbosa x3
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x3
Boss: Sans x2
Luminary (Dragon Quest) x2
Sub-Zero x2
[Rerate] Geno x2
Qbby x2
Stahl x1
Duster x1

The top seven sorted itself out. Monokuma and Morrigan Aensland held on (even passing Microsoft rep), while Protector, Aloy, and Third-party character from unrepped company fell off. At least Protector crossed 100 noms.

Saber and Crash Bandicoot bash past 50 noms.

Today's new nominees are rerates of Dovahkiin (5 noms) and Bandana Dee (3 noms), and Qbby (2 noms).

Sid-cada Sid-cada I assume you meant Cadence, right?

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
If I had to guess, Crash mostly got more popular since other's desired characters have happened already.

Anyway, onto Black Mage Evilwizardington. (Oh wait, that guy isn't eligible. NVM, let's do normal black mage)

Chance: 5%. Before Cloud was revealed, I could see a 30~35%, but even back then they had to compete with Terra, Kefka, Bartz, and hell even Rydia (who, while somebody who I think would work well, is probably a very, very niche pick for a reason, and wanting her over Cecil while wanting Frisk over Sans is kinda contradictory...) if you really wanted a magician seemed like stronger candidates, assuming we wanted a Final Fantasy character that was associated with Nintendo. In a post-Cloud world, this guy would've made for a great Assist Trophy, or at least a Spirit, but they now are way too low on that totem pole when we could have bigger names like Sephiroth, Squall, Zidane, Tidus, Yuna, Vaan, Ashe, Lightning, Noctis, and the list goes on and on. I don't even have personal esperience with anybody past Zidane, and I think they'd be much more appreciable and likely additions (though I probably wouldn't care personally, that's not my place to speak). And Terra, Kefka, Bartz and Rydia (or, even Cecil) are still here too. I will say that I believe Black Mage's chances have ended with the inclusion of Cloud, at least for now. Maybe someday I could see it, but as of now...? I don't feel it.

Want: Ehh... 15%. This guy isn't a SEGA character but does what I think Arle would do, so in a sense, they're Arle competition. Plus, why them over Terra or even Rydia? The former is more iconic, the latter has more uniqueness potential, the former is also more uniqueable than Black Mage, even then I couldn't really tell you what should be the FF1 stage while I can tell you Kefka's Tower and the Lunar Whale would make for great stages from 6 and 4. I probably wouldn't be so critical if Cloud was still considered a Goku/Shrek level character (by the community at large, not anybody here), but now I'm more a fan of defined characters than Piranha Plants, especially if I had to pay for them. I mean, this character wouldn't make me throw a hissy fit, I don't think there are very many characters that could, and I think I'd have an easier time swallowing it than I did Joker. That's gotta be worth something, at least.

Frisk x 5. Metal Sonic's competition is rough, especially since one of them is in, so 0.10% should be accurate.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Vivi but nameless

Chance: 5%
An iconic 'character' that miraculously isn't a Spirit. They could come with literally any stage and music from Final Fantasy and it would make sense. But it's likely that they won't. Black Mage is not really an attractive purchase imo (I would totally buy it, but for the general public), especially against the many popular and iconic Final Fantasy characters. Black Mage sadly is not really a character but a class (if the most iconic class), so that might be the killing factor. Plus, I think Final Fantasy will stay at Cloud, as it'd be really hard to accurately represent the franchise as a whole and Square Enix has way too many iconic franchises already.

Want: 75%
Not my preferred pick but would like it.

Noms: Cronox5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Most underrated Square rep
Chance:50%: This character is very underrated. The only FF rep we have is Cloud, Midgar, 2 music tracks, and 2 Fighter Spirits. It is the least represented franchise. Which is why I think that Black Mage is likely. This class has showed up in practically every FF game, and was even in some Mario Sports titles. And since he is from practically every game, he could come with tracks and spirits from across the series rather then just one title, which honestly seems more logical. He also is in SSF2 as a playable character, which while it is fan made, it generally has sensical character choices.
Want:100%: I love Final Fantasy, particularly I, III, IV, VI, VII, IX, and XV, as well as Dissidia and Dissidia 012, and having a character that could bring spirits from all of those games would be great. Plus a true Mage would be incredible as we don’t have that as Robin still uses a sword for normals. Please do this Sakurai. Please.
Nominations: Specter Knight x5
EDIT: Also predictions for Metal:
5.6% He is a pretty likely echo, but I am positive people will give him 0’s as he lives or dies if there is an echoes pass.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Sid-cada Sid-cada Sid-cada Sid-cada I assume you meant Cadence, right?
Yeah, I'm not the best speller around. I think I've had to have you confirm my spelling on things more times than I can keep track...

Anyways...

Black Mage - 1% - I'm not certain if we will ever get a true third party character from the same universe, the only known example being an echo with no differences between them. Black Mage, while not as Iconic as Cloud, are still fairly iconic of Final Fantasy, and are fairly closely associated with it, especially the earlier editions. Sadly, between wanting to squeeze out more content for the remaining DLC, I don't think there is much chance for a third party to be like this.

Want - 65% - I'll admit that I would have preferred him over Cloud. Still, as of now, I'd rather focus on getting a Dragon Quest character first. I'd appreciate his inclusion, but it's not a real need.

Nominations

Cadence X5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Hat Magolor
Chance: 0%
Look we know how Square Enix is with their FF content. Even if they'd be fine with adding another character from the series (which I don't see happening anyway with us not having two original characters from the same third-part franchise) Black Mage still faces competition from the likes of Sephiroth, Noctis and Terra. And that's also not forgetting Square's other franchises like DQ, KH, etc, which are all likelier to be represented over adding another FF rep.

Want: 20%
He does look kinda appealing tho and he does have a pretty cool moveset in Smash Flash 2. Still, he doesn't currently fall within my priorities. Perhaps that could change after I get into the franchise.

Metal Sonic: 2.05%
Bandana Dee x3
Qbby x2

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Not-Vivi-But-The-Class-Vivi-Is

Chance: 1%

No doubt in my mind that the 2nd SE rep will be a Dragon Quest one based on what's been said about DQ. Black Mage is easily a popular Job from Final Fantasy but it doesn't have that recognizably Cloud, Terra, Squall, and even Vivi has.

It's one of my favorite classes but I'd rather see other new 3rd Party IPs get in first.

Metal Sonic Prediction: 0.11%

Nominate Velvet Crowe x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Black Mage

Chance: 30%. There is literally 2 Final Fantasy Spirits, both being Cloud, so any Final Fantasy Character would be a blessing so more spirits and representation would be available. But with tons of Square Enix characters in competition, it would be difficult to pick one.

Want: 51%. With Black Mage in the roaster, we would at least get more magic users and more Square Enix representation (more soundtracks and more spirits, which are well needed). Black Mage would be fun to use as well.

Noms: 2 for Boss: Kracko and 3 for King Boo

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
HADOKE- Oh, wait. This isn't 8-Bit Theater!

Chance: 10% at best.
Real talk here, The Black Mage has stiff competition, even if we disclude the rest of Square Enix and focus SOLELY on Final Fantasy (And even if we focus solely on the ones that have been on Nintendo Consoles, discounting anything past Final Fantasy 6). Terra, Bartz, Cecil, etc., all have a more concrete personality. Even FF1 has its own defined MC with Warrior of Light (Specifically, how the man appeared in Dissidia, based off the Fighter and Knight Classes from FF1). So a generic character class from that same game with no clearly defined attributes? Probably not, even with the iconic moveset. If we wanted an NES/SNES-era Magic User from Final Fantasy, Terra would be the obvious choice, given how Final Fantasy 6 is often referred to as the best SNES-Era Final Fantasy game, and Terra has the capacity to be even more unique with her Esper Form (her Trance state) as a possible mechanic. 10% is the most I'm giving the Black Mage.

Want: Abstain.
It's REALLY tough to say on this one, because I'm not entirely sure on how the Black Mage would be interpreted in Smash. I mean, we have SSF2 as an idea for that, but...

Noms: Saber (Fate) x5

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Any FF rep - chance : 0%
No third party license is represented by two non-Echo Fighters. Final Fantasy already has been featured in a DLC, and it wouldn't be anything new to repeat this process. Moreover, the competition from Square Enix is very serious.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Black Mage: 0%

It's a generic mascot character when FF has dozens of actual characters that people want, much less the stiff competition from within Square Enix and their stinginess with FF licensing playing in.

Want: 0%. For basically the same reasons I said above; I'd much rather an established FF character over something generic that's only really liked for arbitrary "mascot" reasons.

Also how exactly does this thread work I'm just rating who the past couple posts rated but it feels like people are able to kinda do whatever

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Black Mage: 0%

It's a generic mascot character when FF has dozens of actual characters that people want, much less the stiff competition from within Square Enix and their stinginess with FF licensing playing in.

Want: 0%. For basically the same reasons I said above; I'd much rather an established FF character over something generic that's only really liked for arbitrary "mascot" reasons.

Also how exactly does this thread work I'm just rating who the past couple posts rated but it feels like people are able to kinda do whatever
You're doing it right, we rate the character on the title. For your scores to count, you have to give two sentences of reasoning per score, and you can also predict the next character's score and nominate a character for rating.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Black Mage
Chance:
1%
I don't see them adding a character from an existing series. I think they want to use the Pass to add new reps and new games. However I'll give him a slight chance just in case.

Want: 50%
Hey, he's an iconic design, and yeah maybe he's more of a class than a character but having Black Mage or Vivi especially would be a cool way to add more Final Fantasy representation. That said, I'd rather new series' get repped first before getting more FF even though I love FF. Great idea for next game though.

Nominations: Velvet Crowe x5

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Black Mage

At this point, there is too much evidence suggesting that Erdrick is the next Square Enix rep. Plus, it doesn't look like Final Fantasy even likes being in Smash (not sure if I worded that right). Even then, Black Mage would have to compete with other characters from FF in order to get in.
I haven't had a chance to get into Final Fantasy. However, a pure mage character in Smash sounds like an interesting idea that I'm surprised hasn't been done before. Plus, despite having not played FF, I know for a FACT that it deserves more content.

Nominations: Monokuma x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Black Mage Chance: 0%
Just not happening. Honestly a new FF character within itself is really unlikely (though by no means impossible) given how Square is about that series, but even if we ignore that, Black Mage is going up against characters like Noctis and such that SE would probably rather want instead.

Want: 55%
Man, I remember back when I supported Black Mage a bit. Now I don't really care so much, but he'd still be cool.

Metal Sonic predictions: 0.90%

Nominations: Steve X5 (Would like to rerate him and Banjo before E3, but that probably won't happen)

:094:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Black Mage

Black Mage has historically been a character that's only seen support because people thought he had the best combination of iconicism and Nintendo history to make the cut. Which of course, is just a compromise on the speculator's part - Final Fantasy has a more iconic character, after all, but people didn't think he had a realistic chance because he never made any major appearances on a Nintendo platform.

On his own, Black Mage struggles to measure up with the named protagonists of other Final Fantasy titles, or even other Square Enix franchises. It's difficult foreseeing him as a priority pick these days.

Want: 25%
At least he spans the franchise's history, but so does the chocobo. I never really found him an interesting choice, at any rate, and I wonder if people only started pushing him because he showed up in a basketball crossover game with Mario.

Nominations
Valve representative x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
The thread died again, so I'm waking it up.

Black Mage
Abstaining on want

Square Enix has way too much competition for Black Mage to get in. He has to deal with Erdrick, Sora, Crono, and much more. And I doubt we're getting a second FF rep for this fighters pass, considering how stingy Square was with Cloud. (Two music tracks? Come on man!)

Crash Rerate x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I really don't know what's up with TCT, he hasn't been replying to my DMs. So that's kind of the only thing I can give you, other than I've been running calcs and should have them done by today (currently only 20 pages behind).

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I really don't know what's up with TCT, he hasn't been replying to my DMs. So that's kind of the only thing I can give you, other than I've been running calcs and should have them done by today (currently only 20 pages behind).
Sorry for dissapearing. I had a family thing that I was planning.

Day will end at 3 est.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Black Mage
0.1% Chance

If there was ever a character that represents the flaws that the speculation community faces, it would be Black Mage. The primary reason this character has even been considered is that they are the most iconic part of Final Fantasy 1. However, I feel that there are many reasons that this choice would be an exceptionally poor choice and an unlikely one.

For starters, representing FF1 if you want to represent Final Fantasy outside of 7 is honestly a weird choice. FF1 is not exactly that popular among FF fans. If you wanted to look towards a FF character on a Nintendo system, choices like Terra or Cecil or even Bartz would be far stronger choices. While Black Mage might be more "iconic", he also suffers the problem that he just is not that popular among FF fans. FF1 is not that popular among the FF fanbase, with the most vocal support for the character being those seeking to keep Smash pure from non nintendo sources.

However, perhaps even more glaring than representation outside of FF7 is the possibility of more representation for FF7. FF7 is the JRPG you think about when you think of JRPGs. There is a reason that it was a killer ap for the PS1. The game is huge. Sephiroth would be huge competition for Black Mage in this frameset of thought. Sephiroth is arguably the most iconic video game villain not in smash save for Dr. Eggman. I could see Square pushing for him, especially with the FF7 remake no longer being vaporware.

Outside of Final Fantasy, there is strong competition. Sora is one of the most requested third parties right now. While rights issues may block him, you can not deny the size of Kingdom Hearts and the fact there is a demand for Sora. Geno has a cult following. Erdrick has been in the spotlight for speculation for a long time, and Dragon Quest is a giant. Even characters like Neku, Chrono, or Lara Croft serve as SE competition for Black Mage.

Also, Square can be a bit dumb. The lack of FF content in Smash is troubling. The music is one thing, Square does not own the music itself. However, no spirits, and Cloud was noticably used in only two spirit battles. Outside of FF, the only SE content in the game is Geno and Mallow's spirits. That does tell us Square may be a bit hard to negotiate with.

Overall, a character that has so much competition and hurdles that they won't happen.

10% Want

Ehh more FF content means maybe more music, and FF has a ballin soundtrack. But man, I would rather have so many other characters. Especially Sephiroth. Or Sora. Or Erdrick. Or Tidus. Or Terra. Or Cecil. Or Neku. Or Chrono. Or Geno. Or Lara Croft. Or etc.

Crash Rerate x 5

Day over. Rate Metal Sonic and Predict Tetronimo.

Edit: Damn I got so passionate in this write up I missed my deadline.

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
You might know everything I'm going to do, but that's not going to help you since I know everything you're going to do! STRANGE, ISN'T IT?!

Sorry, but given exactly who we're talking about, it was impossible to not make this reference.

Chance: 20%
As far as I can tell, the DLC roster is likely going to be entirely new series (again, Joker), so Metal Sonic is pretty unlikely, given how he's a character from an already represented series (namely by the Blue Blur himself). That being said, Metal is arguably an even better choice for a Sonic echo than Shadow is.

Want: 40%
I'm fine with just about any new Sonic rep (In case my username didn't give it away, the Sonic series is my favourite video game series), and Metal as a Sonic Echo over Shadow would be fine by me. He's not my first choice for a new Sonic rep (I'd take Tails over either Shadow or Metal, to be honest), but he is definitely up there. And given the Sonic series' veterancy in Smash (Sonic is the third-party character who has appeared in the most Super Smash Bros. games), it is long overdue a second representative.

Tetromino prediction: 10% at best.

Noms: Saber (Fate) x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Metal Sonic

Chance: 0.1%
We still don't have Tails or Robotnik and I feel that those characters would have more priority considering how much of a bigger role they play in the games and how popular they are (not to mention that there is also Knuckles and Shadow to deal with). Metal Sonic can't even work as a Sonic echo since their body types are very different from each other and Shadow would probably be better echo material anyway.

Want: 5%
Tails and Robotnik are the only Sonic reps I really want. Aside from them and maybe Knuckles I don't really care that much about the Sonic characters so I'm not really clamoring for Metal Sonic to make it in when there are so many other possible characters.

Tetromino chance prediction: 7.33%

Nominations
Crash rerate x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Metal Sonic

10% Chance

I have floated the idea of an echo fighters pass as DLC. With Shadow occupied being an assist trophy, I could see Metal Sonic taking the role. Metal has the tools needed, just give him a different dash attack and a different final smash. On paper, he looks to be the prefect choice for an echo fighter. He makes sense to fight like Sonic, he can be visually distinct, and he is a constant part of the Sonic franchise. That last point imo was the death knell for Shadow. Shadow did make a comeback into the franchise with Boom, Generations, and Forces, but post 2006 was not the greatest time for Shadow. And I am saying this as a Shadow supporter and the owner of the support thread.

That being said, he is third party. While I could see Nintendo talking to Sega bout doing this for an echo pass, that costs money. And Nintendo would probably rather be cheap. That being said, Sega is pretty buddy buddy, and if any Third Party got echos as DLC it would be Sega.

However, the biggest hurdle is the lack of an echo fighter pass of sorts. Once we know DLC goes further than just the Fighters Pass, he would be more likely.

100% Want

You know, I did not expect to be as on board with this idea initially, but the more I thought about it the more I liked it. More sonic content is always welcome for me. I would rather get Eggman first, but an echo would tickle my fancy greatly. While I would personally prefer Shadow, with current events I would be very content with Metal.

Nominating Crash Rerate x 5

Top Bottom