• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Primarina
Chance - 42%
She is the final evolution with the most popularity, and she offers something unique with a music and mage based move set. However, she hasn't been pushed as hard as Incineroar, Mimikyu, or Lycanroc. There's some concern over getting her to look right by other posters, but I kind of doubt no legs is a big issue compared to no hands/arms like Lycanoroc.
Want - 90%
Since she wouldn't be forcing Greninja out, I'm perfectly cool with her getting in and see potential in her being a fun addition. Primarina's first evolution was my starter of choice in Pokemon Sun, and I would late pick up Incineroar's first evolution through trade later. I liked them both, so I fully am cool with either of them especially over the over hyped Decidueye or the rather bland Lycanroc. I took 10 points off for her lacking the expression possibilities that Incineroar has.

Nominations - Not sure there is anyone left to rate. We're getting to the end of the newcomers as is.
5x Gardevoir... I guess? (Apparently she was leaked by someone who predicted Richter)

I honestly think we are getting one or two at the max more reveal fiestas. And I think people are getting a bit overly hopeful on some of the small fries with vocal fanbases. Shantae isn't in the door cause Shovel Knight showed up as a AT. Isaac doesn't have his boot in the door cause King K Rool made it in. Like I'm pretty sure Waluigi beat both of these by a landslide in the ballot, and he didn't make it in. This is pretty much just the top dogs and popular characters that can work as quick echos.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Primarina

Chance: 10%
At this point I'm not sure what to make of each Pokemon's chances, but I feel like Incineroar and Decidueye would have higher priority.

Want: 0%
Least favorite of the Gen VII starters and the Pokemon series already has two water types in the game.

Nominations:
Terry Bogard x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Primarina

Can’t remember whether Vergeben ended up specifically naming Incineroar or if he had stayed vague. Regardless, I’ll give her the same rating I gave Incineroar. 25%

Want: 50%
Really ambivalent to the character itself and not keen on the idea of adding a Pokémon for no reason. However, I’ve heard she’s one of the more popular ones, so that might help her stand the test of time (then again, so was Greninja).

Nominations: NintenX5

Labo Man prediction: 13%

Luminario

Smash Lord
Primarina
Chance: 0.5% -
It. Has. No. Legs. In a game where running and jumping are important mechanics, these are kind of essential. And it's not like it can float like Mewtwo or Dark Samus. Only reason it's not a zero is because it's Nintendo and this is Sakurai. But Decidueye and Incineroar have a much higher shot at making it.
Squirtle already proves you don't need to run to dash. Not only could Primarina easily dash around on a wave it's also capable of pushing itself upwards with it's tail.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ariel

Chance: 5%

Seems there's a forgotten one in the Alola Starter trio...

While Primarina may be more popular that either of her brethren, she would take the most work to get a reliable moveset for, namely for movement in general. Not impossible, but definitely not as easy as it would be for Deci or Cena.

Water is still reasonably underused in Smash - nowhere near as ubiquitous as Fire, but now that Squirtle, Gren, and Corrin all have water based movesets, it's at least visible. Still, the point of types is moot if the Trainer's lost type effectiveness anyway.

I'd figure the 'Pokémon Slot' still has Cena's name one it, with Buzzwole as a close second. Assuming we're even getting one anyway.

Prediction for Labo man: 4.2%
Nom: ... well, FoD is now in, so I can stop nominating that. I'm really at a loss now, so I guess I'll just throw nominations to my most wanted, even if he doesn't have a chance. At least I'll be able to give my argument for him.
Dovahkiin x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Primarina

Chance: 1%

Not happening with rumors that the Gen 7 Pokemon is Incineroar. It's overshadowed by the other 2 starters as well.

Labo Man Prediction: 2.5%

Nominate Concept More than 5 Unique Newcomers x5

Luminario

Smash Lord
Primarina Ballerina
Chance: 15%
Despite being the most popular starter and having great moveset potential, I feel it'll be overlooked for the other starters or other notable Gen 7 Pokemon.
Want: 75%
Since Mimikyu was tragically cut down, my hopes and dreams lie with other cutesy/feminine Pokemon, with Primarina being one of my favourite Gen 7 designs.

Nominate: Concept: Style Savvy character x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Chance: 1%
Want: Less than 0%

Primarina is my least favorite final stage starter EVER. And, before you go on me for being a jerk about it, my main issue with Primarina is that in addition to that hilariously awful design, that Pokémon takes a backseat to Decuideye and Incineroar.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Primarina

Chance - 0.5% - While it is posible to work with her, it would probably take much more creativity compared to most other characters. I don't think that Sakurai would go for her, given that there are more interesting characters with less of a hastle to make playable.

Want - 35% - Could be interesting, but I find her kinda boring. On top of her competion, I would find her disapointing if she would get in.

Predictions

Labo character - 1.34% - Too early for most.

Nominations

Nihilego X5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Primarina

Chances: 50%
Despite the fact that I have been nominating Primarina for a while, I recognize that her chances are pretty up in the air. If we go off the idea that Sakurai was deciding on Pokemon as early as before Sun and Moon’s release, a la Greninja, her chances are about equal with every other starters. Sakurai chose Greninja off of his looks, and I feel like Primarina has an interesting enough design to be a contender.

Assuming he held off and waited until later to choose then I would say her chances are pretty good. Primarina is the third most popular alolan Pokemon and (apparently) the Sun and Moon directors favorite. While Sakurai may choose Pokemon based in their importance to the anime, general popularity is also a factor, and popularity can even influence the anime (look no further than how often Mewtwo, Charizard and Lucario reappear in the anime and movies). I won’t say its a sure spot, but I wouldn’t have anime relevance be a complete disqualifier for her.

People also like to point out the fact that the Nintendo Dream Poll was only released in early 2018, but its important to recognize that production of the magazine the poll came it would take some time, and thus it TCPi could have had the info for a while.

Then there the glaring issue of her lack of legs, which in all honesty isn’t an issue at all. There are plenty of characters in Smash who don’t use their legs be that for movement or fighting, so I really don’t see how this would an issue for Primarina. In terms of movement she could have a slow walking speed, having to drag herself along just like she does for her unused walking animation in Sun and Moon. For running she could just slide on her stomach like a regular seal does, with a water effect similar to Squirtles new running animation. To jump she can be propelled by a spout of water or just thrust herself with her flippers. As for combat she has a variety of water attacks as well as with her flipper, bubbles acrobatics and of course her voice. Pokemon are by far the easiest to make movesets for because all of their moves are laid out for them in their own games.

Want: 100%
Considering that I was the one who nominated her for so long, I would have to want her. Primarina was by far my favorite of all the starters, as soon as I saw leaked concept art I knew that if it was real that I would be getting Popplio (not that I would be getting anyone else anyway). But I don’t just want her for her looks, I really think that her body type could lend to some interesting and unique animations and a unique moveset. Smash’s more unconventional fighters are usually my favorite, and a character with no legs who attacks with her voice would be pretty unconventional.

Nominations:
Klonoa x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Primarina!

I'm basically certain Incineroar is getting picked. This five percent is what I'm giving all other not-disconfirmed Alola Pokémon.

Want: 75%
Primarina is great, and my second favorite Alola starter. Anyone who says movement is an issue has never seen a seal or sea lion in real life, honestly. Her land movement would be slow, but in the air she'd likely perform better, doing acrobatic flips and whatnot.

Plus Primarina has a fantastic design.

Nominating Reinhardt trophy x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Does anyone know whether Vergeben is Verge + Ben, or the German word, vergeben (forgive)?

Primarina

Well, it would certainly take more creativity to do a character with no legs or wheels and that isn't known to float. They could take some liberties there though. Jumping is fine, and it would probably have to dash by riding water (like Squirtle's new dash). Walking would be the biggest issue... But I suppose they could figure it out. It'd probably have one of the slower walks though.

Another thing is that we now have two water-type Pokemon, and they might be looking for a type that's not yet represented. So far we have electric x2, normal, fairy (technically), psychic, water x2, grass, fire, flying, fighting, steel and dark. It's worth noting that Charizard also resembles a dragon, so a dragon-type could be a bit redundant as well. I'd say that improves the chances for ice, ground/rock, bug, poison and ghost particularly, but also that of the already represented types, grass would be the most likely (Smash has a lot of fire in it already). Water is perhaps underrepresented relative to fire as an elemental ability in Smash overall, but it's not underrepresented among the Pokemon.

So it's a little surprising that Vergeben says that Dedidueye (grass AND ghost) and Lycanroc (rock) won't be in, since they're popular and have types not yet represented. I suppose Primarina might actually use a fairy move though, unlike Jigglypuff. But I guess since it seems pretty popular, it has a chance. And the issues with coming up with a moveset aren't insurmountable.

Primarina chances: 15%
One of the more popular Pokemon, and with Decidueye and Lycanroc's chances quite low due to Vergeben's leaks (he could still be wrong, of course!), the stock of other Pokemon rises. Primarina would be very unique in terms of body plan, but less unique in terms of being a water Pokemon. Overall, I don't think its the MOST likely, but it has a decent shot.
Primarina want: 50%
Water... meh. Fairy... more intrigued. No hindlegs... interesting. But overall, don't care much either way.

Nominate: Break the Targets returns x5
Which are the characters that Vergeben talked about outside of Ridley, K. Rool and Simon?
Also confirmed is the return of Snake and Ice Climbers and no cuts. I don't think he actually made any claims about K Rool. He also claimed that Mimikyu would not be playable.

As for unconfirmed aspects, the ones I mentioned would be affected. He said Isabelle will be in and that there will be a Gen 7 Pokemon, but that it will not be Decidueye or Lycanroc. Combined with the disconfirmation of Mimikyu, that shakes up the potential Pokemon roster a lot. I don't think he's made any other claims about characters. He also said there will be a Minecraft stage, but we didn't really get much that would affect that.

Commander Wof

Smash Rookie
This is very unlikely to be a problem. It would require two things:
1. Smashdown mode would need to be locked out until the roster is fully unlocked.
2. DLC would need to bring in 4 (or 12) characters at a time.

More than likely the roster will just reset when there aren't enough fighters remaining for the players to use.
I suppose, but from the way it's been talked about so far, it feels like Smashdown is a mode where it will tally up the total number of victories to determine a victor. I suppose there's really no way to be sure of this until we learn more about the mode. As for the DLC, I honestly didn't expect to see any this time around since Sakurai said there wouldn't be too many new characters this time around. I suppose it's still possible, so thanks for pointing that out!

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Chance - 20%
Based mostly on how awkward it would be to fit Primarina in. I mean, it's possible I guess but Prima would really struggle on the mobility part.

Want - 50%
As much as I love Prima, I mean... Team Popplio through and through... I just don't really think Prima would be an interesting fighter. I think it'd just be kinda clunky. Though, it is Prima and I ****ing love Primarina so... Eh, I'll give her some percent. I'd rather Incineroar.

Nominations
A playable indie game character x Max

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Primarina

Chance - 24%
By default it gets a higher chance because it's a starter, but then it gets a reduced chance because it would have to follow Greninja. The lack of legs wouldn't really be a problem if they felt like putting it in the game, and it can use bubble moves and sound waves. It's popular enough, casually and competitively, with the Japanese, although it's not super notably popular either. As usual, competition with many Pokemon.

Want - 50%
To be honest, I'm more on board with seeing something novel like Primarina than I am with the other two starters, but I'm not going to be surprised in the slightest if it doesn't get in as a fighter. I'm more worried if it gets nothing at all.

Nominations
Viridi x 5 or 10 (what are we on)

Prediction
Labo Man: 18%

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Primarina: Chances are effectively equal to other pokemon. This is because all pokemon face fierce competition and can easily be relegated to pokeballs.

Want: 20 percent.
I think they could be very unique and fun to play as. A sea lion would be cool, I've seen them in aquariums and they are amazing creatures. and being a mermaid is also unique. But we have lots of pokemon. Of pokemon choices she ranks higher on who I'd like to see along with team rocket.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't know if anyone has already thought of this when determining their percentages, but I believe that because of Smashdown, we will be getting either 4 new characters or no new characters! What I mean by this is that in the Smashdown mode, there needs to be a roster number that's divisible by four so that there are enough fighters for each player to use in several rounds without leaving anyone out. If you look closely at the roster screen for the Smashdown mode, you'll notice that Mii Fighter is missing, meaning that after adding King K. Rool to the roster, there are 68 fighters available. Since 68 is divisible by 4, this means that there are already enough characters to fulfill the requirements for multiple rounds, which is why I said that there may be no more new fighters.
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to play Smashdown with 3 players*, and it's quite possible they'll allow 5-8 players as well. So I don't think they'd make their roster decisions based on this mode when they'll have to deal with the problem of remainder characters regardless. And if it's available before unlocking every character, they'd also need to handle remainders for any number of players. Whatever solution they have for 3 players or incomplete rosters is what they'd use for 4 players.

On the other hand, you could note that 72 characters would work for 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 players, and only have a remainder for 5 or 7... But there's no way to avoid a remainder for some numbers if you allow up to 8 players (because we know they're not increasing the roster to 840).

The other issue is that 17 or 18 rounds is... a lot of rounds. I'm pretty sure that the idea won't be to always use the entire roster for that reason. They'll need an option to end it sooner than that. Even with 8 players, it's 9 rounds, which is still kind of a lot. A couple of ways to deal with this is either have the full roster available but only go for, say, 5 rounds, OR it randomly generates a roster for the Smashdown. Personally I think the idea would also work better with an option to exclude or stack Echo fighters, since if a player mains Pit, they'll get the option to use their main twice, while a Mewtwo main will not. That is, if you use Dark Pit, Pit will also be made unavailable. Echoes are similar enough that if you're good with one, you're good with the other with only minor variance.

*2 players will also be possible, of course, but if it works for 4 players it automatically works for 2 ;)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I cannot see Primarina being chosen due to body shape. I thought it would be hard for Sakurai to picture Mimikyu as a Smash fighter due to its body not being most suitable for Smash and my assessment was correct based on the Pokeball summon. Primarina is much harder to picture as a fighter than Mimikyu, I personally see her having a zero chance of happening as a result.

----------

x5 Hanafuda character

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Primarina

With Greninja returning, I don't think they're gonna add another fully-evolved Water starter. It also has competition with it's fellow starters Decidueye and Incineroar, as well as Lycanroc for the spot.

Want: 35%
I'm not that interested about Primarina in Smash. I mean, would they be willing to give this Pokemon a moveset? Incineroar and Decidueye would have more interesting movesets than Primarina and I would rather have either of those two in Smash.

Nominations:
Saber Artoria (Fate) x5

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Primarina:
Chance: 20% Pokemon is still the biggest question mark in terms of newcomers. This seal is at least somewhat popular, but for all we know we might not get a Pokemon representative.
Want: 20% I'm not really interested in any more Pokemon. I would rather have other series get some love.

Nominations:
No More Stages x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Primarina

Chance: 20%

Some may think that because she doesn't have any legs, she is automatically disqualified from being in Smash. And I would say that is completely false. Squirtle is already proof your dash doesn't have to involve actual running. Moreover, Primarina is based on a sea lion, which are considered to be amphibious animals: this means they can move on land and water. While Primarina's movement on land might be seen as too slow to be considered, there are ways they can make her dash work. Most notably, a small wave can form underneath her, and her dash would essentially be her surfing the wave. Basically, her dash would play out similar to Water Kirby's dash in the Kirby series.

Additionally, to reference her Pokedex entries and her origins stemming from performing sea lions, Primarina can have very good aerial mobility, and i think that is where most of her moveset would shine: high jumps, strong aerial attacks. It's also through her aerial movement that Sakurai can do a good job referencing the performing aspect to her.

Another argument people seem to bring up against her is that "She's a Water-type, and we already have two Water-type Pokemon in Smash." Okay, typing is not the end-all-be-all when it comes to deciding Pokemon. What's most important is how the Pokemon fight. Squirtle fights like a turtle, while Greninja fights like a ninja. Primarina can easily stand out from those two by fighting like a performer just like she is portrayed as.

If we're going off of popularity, Primarina is a popular Alola Pokemon. In fact, it was ranked as the most popular final evolution Alola starter and the third most popular Alola Pokemon overall in that Japanese USUM popularity poll, and it's also a fan favorite for Sun and Moon director.

Of course, USUM and that popularity poll associated with it was released about two years after Sakurai decided on the roster, so it's more likely that if Sakurai were to choose an Alola Pokemon, he would've most likely chosen it from the concept art just like he did with Greninja. From what the concept art shows of her, Primarina does present itself in a favorable way that could be seen as an appealing for Sakurai just from looking at it.

But at the same time, picking an Alola Pokemon based on concept art is a part of Primarina's biggest issue when it comes to the possibility of it being added into Smash. The other Alola starters have just as if not more appealing designs and concept arts. Going even further then that, Primarina also has to compete with other popular Alola Pokemon for the slot: Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, and Tapu Koko particularly come to mind. These four Pokemon even ended up getting more promotional material in the anime and marketing too.

The recent Vergeben leak does seem to point in favor of Primarina judging by Verge's comment that the Gen 7 newcomer isn't Decidueye, Lycanroc, or Mimikyu (already deconfirmed), but that same leak also points to other popular choices like Incineroar and Tapu Koko, the former being Primarina's biggest rival.

Want: 100%

As the owner of Primarina's support thread on Smashboards, it should be no surprise that I would absolutely love to see Primarina in Smash. In fact, out of all the Alola Pokemon, it is easily my most wanted Alola 'mon for this game. Primarina is my favorite of the Alola starters and among my top 10 favorite Pokemon overall. I remember solidifying myself for Team Popplio the moment I saw Primarina's design, and I've subsequently used it in both my Sun and UltraSun playthroughs since. It's a great Pokemon that has a great typing and some solid coverage. On top of that, I absolutely love its designs: it nails the combination of a mermaid with a sea lion quite nicely, and I like how Primarina is reference to the Sirens from Greek mythology with the way it sings that attracts sailors and Pokemon.

In addition to it being my favorite Alola starter and one of my personal favorite Pokemon, I'd also love to see Primarina in Smash because the concept of a performer and singer combined would make for some great moveset potential. Primarina's poked entry mentions that it can create large bubbles by singing, and it can gracefully jump from bubble to bubble. This could lead to some interesting moves and mechanics in Smash, where the bubbles can be utilized for both damage purposes and as ways to expand on Primarina's good aerial mobility. Moreover, some of her specials could comprise of song-based Pokemon moves like Dazzling Voice and Hyper Voice to reference her singing nature, on top of using her signature move Sparkling Aura to create the floating bubbles with her song. She'd ultimately do a far better job representing herself as the "singing" 'mon compared to Jigglypuff.

I am well aware that she is not a very likely pick for an Alola rep in the Smash Ultimate, so if she doesn't get into Smash, I'd accept that situation. Heck, she isn't my most wanted Pokemon either; that title goes to Gallade, but I already know he is even more unlikely to be added at this point. Regardless, if it turns out that Primarina is indeed picked as the Gen 7 rep for this coming Smash title, you bet I'll be a very happy individual!

BTW, if any of you here like Primarina and might be hearing about this for the first time, fill free to drop by to the Primarina support thread. We are always welcome to new Primarina supporters! This same thread also gives you a few movesets made by some of our supporters to demonstrate the kind of potential Primarina can have as a Smash fighter!

------

Predictions:

Labo Man (Nintendo Labo): 3.36%

Seems too new to be considered.

------

Nominations

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney): x10

So is 10 nominations still the default amount of nominations? Whether it's still 10 or now 5, I'm still putting my nominations for Phoenix Wright at whatever the maximum number of nominations is.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Primarina want: 0%

I hate her design, and we already have two water-type Pokémon.

Nominations:

FE Spear User x5

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
my assessment was correct based on the Pokeball summon.
Not neccesarily, since the pokemon could've been dropped for any number of reasons.

Incineroar and Decidueye would have more interesting movesets than Primarina
Even Primarina's basic movements would be interesting. Flopping around, sliding across, swimming on makeshift water currents. Slapping opponents with a fishtale. A throw or pummel could be juggling opponents like a sea lion juggles a ball.
Incineroar is more or less another brawler, and Decidueye is another green archer so the demerit of being another water type doesn't seem significant to me.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I’ll post satisfaction scores in a spoiler eventually cause I missed that

Primarina:
Chance: 2%
It’s hard to see her beating her competition. There’s someone that beats her in every category really
Want: 95%
Biased bc she’s a fave. This probably isn’t the best fit for her though

Prediction Labo Man: 2.75%

X5 Style Savvy character

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Primarina

Chance 25%

Out of all the Alolan Starter evolutions, Primarina is the most popular one, and while some may say her design would make mobility to difficult to implement, I think Sakurai could easily get around that, and also see it as a interesting challenge to make this Pokémon playable, in fact it wouldn't that difficult since wave riding (like what Squirtle does), could be used instead of running, and instead of walking, it can balance on top of a low to the ground water orb and roll it around moving herself in the process, her moves are also unique enough to fit in Smash. I think the bigger problem for her, are the other Pokémon she face competition with, such as Decidueye, Incineroar, and Lycanroc, as they are just likely to be selected as well. I believe they would give her more problems, than just a simple issue of getting from Point A to Point B, which could easily be fixed.

Want 100%

Out of the three Alolan Starters, Primarina is my favorite, and my first Starter. Controlling water with ones voice, is a pretty unique abilities not seen in Pokémon as yet, it's also not seen as yet in Smash either, with her abilities to manipulate water in such a way could potentially give her the ability to control the stage itself. They could also base a mechanic off the fact that she a performer, and depending on how many attacks hit the foe, or on how well she defeats her foes, she'll gain buffs in speed and attack.

If they also choose to they can have her grab trap foes in a water orb, and like how seals perform tricks by using a ball, Primarina could do the same thing with her trapped opponents, to increase the damage of her throws, or have her convert her throw into a different throw without canceling (enemies still have a chance to escape), like how a seal would convert to a different trick in a performance. Her wide moveset would also means access to sound, ice, and Fairy type moves giving her various arsenal, that make her stand out from the other water Pokémon in Smash, who wouldn't use any of those moves. The wide possibilities of her mechanics, and moveset are there, all it takes is a little creativity.

Nominations:

Gardevoir x5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Primarina
Chance 5%
I don't see us getting another starter Pokemon, I'm not even sure if we're getting a Gen 7 Pokemon
Want 20%
Better than some choices, but does seem pretty lame to me

Nominate no more stages x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Primarina

Chance: ABSTAIN

I think we're definitely getting a new Pokémon, but I'm not sure how to rate them individually right now so I'll keep abstaining. However I will say I don't think this one is a frontrunner.

Want: 70%

Honestly I kind of really hope the gen 7 'mon is a starter. They're the only ones I'm really interested in as fighters, even though I prefer the other two to Primarina.

Nominations: Heihachi x5/10, whichever

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Primarina

I don't think it's likely for the many reasons people posted.
Want: 1%
Yeah there are a ton of new Pokemon I'd rather have. In fact, I don't really care about the Alola starters and would prefer a number of regular old Pokemon from that game. It seems like the only Pokemon people want are starters or legendaries. Meh.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Primarina

Chance - 1%

Don't really know what would lead Sakurai to choose her over anyone else. The Pokemon Company isn't really pushing her, and she has no notable roles in the anime, like other characters such as Lycanroc or Incineroar do.

Want - 0%

Not interested. I've never liked her design, and there's a lot more Pokemon I would much rather have.

Commander Wof

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure you'll be able to play Smashdown with 3 players*, and it's quite possible they'll allow 5-8 players as well. So I don't think they'd make their roster decisions based on this mode when they'll have to deal with the problem of remainder characters regardless. And if it's available before unlocking every character, they'd also need to handle remainders for any number of players. Whatever solution they have for 3 players or incomplete rosters is what they'd use for 4 players.

On the other hand, you could note that 72 characters would work for 2, 3, 4, 6 or 8 players, and only have a remainder for 5 or 7... But there's no way to avoid a remainder for some numbers if you allow up to 8 players (because we know they're not increasing the roster to 840).

The other issue is that 17 or 18 rounds is... a lot of rounds. I'm pretty sure that the idea won't be to always use the entire roster for that reason. They'll need an option to end it sooner than that. Even with 8 players, it's 9 rounds, which is still kind of a lot. A couple of ways to deal with this is either have the full roster available but only go for, say, 5 rounds, OR it randomly generates a roster for the Smashdown. Personally I think the idea would also work better with an option to exclude or stack Echo fighters, since if a player mains Pit, they'll get the option to use their main twice, while a Mewtwo main will not. That is, if you use Dark Pit, Pit will also be made unavailable. Echoes are similar enough that if you're good with one, you're good with the other with only minor variance.

*2 players will also be possible, of course, but if it works for 4 players it automatically works for 2 ;)
I thought the same thing about 8 players as well, but I didn't include it because it seemed unlikely since it would have to deal with the issue of 5 and 7 players. However, your idea of Smashdown being able to end early does make 8 players seem much more plausible. The main issue with my theory is that we don't know a whole lot about Smashdown at this point. I mainly pointed this out in order to give hope to people, myself included, who felt that we might not get many more new characters, if it all since we know that we won't have as many this time around. Still, it has been interesting discussing this, as it has helped to form a better picture of what Smashdown could be like!

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Primarina
Chance: 15%
Being a recent Pokemon automatically gives her an existent chance, but eh. Can't see this one being the choice when we have Greninja and other options come off as more appropriate.

Want: 50%
Cutting it down the middle. Primarina is my favorite of the gen 7 starter trio and among my favorites in general, but the prospect of her as a Smash fighter doesn't sit well with me. Still, if Sakurai actually did choose her, he'd probably have done so for good reason and would make something great.

Style Savvy character x5

DivineWrath45

Smash Cadet
Primarina

Greninja is already a thing in Ultimate, so what's the point of adding another Water starter? Besides, mobility might be a problem for Primarina, as she has no legs.

Want: 5%
Primarina is my least favorite Alolan starter because of it's design. At least Decidueye and Incineroar have cool designs, but Primarina....I don't even know what to say about this sea lion. She doesn't have what it takes to be a fighter in Smash, I just don't see the potential.

Nominations:
Saber (Artoria Pendragon) x5

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I dunno, another fully evolved Water Starter that doesn't seem to be too prominent in marketing at the moment? Anything's possible, and the lack of legs, while a challenge, wouldn't be a deal breaker by any means. But it just seems to me like Pokemon Company would suggest something else.

Want: 5%
Don't get me wrong, I actually like Primarina, I prefer it over Decidueye in fact. But I honestly don't really want another Pokemon in the roster, I feel like we have enough as is, and while Primarina would be interesting, I just can't really get down with it for whatever reason.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Primaria
chance
body shape is just to weird and would be hard to be in Smash. I just see this as the pokemon starter everyone dosn't talk about this gen
10%

want
abstaing

labo man 25%

nominating master cheif x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Primarina
Chance: 4% - I just can’t see it. Primarina needs to compete with Decidueye, Incineroar, and Lycanroc. All of whom are arguably more popular and easier to works with physically.
Want: 70% - My favourite Alolan starter, I’d be happy if they somehow defied the odds.

Nominations: Edelgard x5

Top Bottom