• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Paper Mario

Chances: 60%

Seems to still be popular, moveset potential, and have a decent following. Only downside is him completing for the next Mario spot with other characters.

Want: 1%

I'm biased, but I'd like to not see 3 Marios in Smash at once. 2 is enough

Daisy:

Chances: 30%

Not counting alt attire which is 100% confirmed, she still has a rocky disadvantage against certain people.

Want: 65%

I'd like for Daisy to get in and have another woman character in the series as well. Would be nice to see a Peach/Daisy/Rosalina showdown

Predictions

Pichu: 7%
Young Link: 4.35%

Nominations: Zeraora x5

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Daisy
Chance - 10%
Rosalina being in smash kind of both helps and hurts what I think her chances are. Having 2 princess-like characters from Mario is definently making it a stretch to add a third, and I have my doubts they'd cut Rosalina. I know people will keep bringing up the sports games and you sure can draw on those to make her a not terrible set if you try, but given Sakurai's tendancy to make clones out of very similar characters I suspect he'd be hesitant to add her unless its last minute. But yeah, she is a Mario rep and last minute clones are a thing, and I think Rosalina showing up gives her anything resembling an actual chance. I just doubt she'll be picked over many more wanted options.

Want - 0%

I don't really care about the spinoff Mario games, and even if I did, Daisy? Mario's princess characters are some of its worst ones in general, and while Daisy might actually not be quite as bad as Peach that is a hilariously low bar to clear, plus there's the fact that looking at how Sakurai handles clones in general its unlikely she wouldn't be one. If I were to be in any way merciful I'd say Peach's set has actually lead to a surprising amount of interesting and nonsensical stuff over the years and I'd hope the same for Daisy, but I can't expect that from this set before its released.

Paper Mario
Chance - 15%

Unlike Link, Mario already has a second copy of himself in Dr. Mario and I feel a third Mario, especially when Luigi is in many ways a somewhat similar set, would be pushing it a lot for Sakurai. He is talked about a fair bit as a newcomer, and I think his chances improve if Dr. Mario is cut, but Dr. Mario has the advantage of being in multiple Smash games to his name now by comparison to Paper Mario's none. Couple that with the fact that honestly, Paper Mario's mechanics are either really flashy or really tacky when you take the stuff to differentiate him from Mario beyond a hammer, and I'm sure Sakurai would have a lot of trouble making a set for him. This is where being in a moveset-making competition comes in handy as I've seen this character failed so, so many times. We shouldn't underestimate Nintendo's desire to smear Mario on everything they can, but he's such an awkward character to incorporate that he's only getting if a hell of an idea strikes Sakurai.

Want - 0%
Nintendo seems to want to go with the Sticker Star style forever and that is enough for me to want him nowhere near this game. We really have no reason to believe otherwise on the matter, other than maybe them acknowledging Super Star Saga and Bowser's Inside Story at all. Honestly even if he did draw on the good Paper Mario games I suspect it'd be a wonky mess of a set and we really don't need another Mario.

Nominations
Dark Samus x 3
Blue Bowser x 2

Last edited:

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Paper Mario

Chance - 30%
He's still relevant and talked about fairly often, but he has some competition with other potential Mario characters coupled with the fact that three Marios would look overbearing on the roster (assuming Doctor Mario stays in). But hey if the demand is there he
could make it.

Want - 90%
If done right, he could be a really great and unique character and bring representation to a subseries many adore. However with the newer direction the Paper Mario series is taking, they might focus on Sticker Star/Color Splash and ignore parts of the older games like partners that many would love to see incorporated into a moveset. Just having the character would be great, but making sure he meets the expectations many have is also an obstacle.

Daisy

Chance - 10%
I suppose it could happen, but I feel like if anything they'd go for a bigger more compelling character first. If Waluigi got in I'd be more inclined to believe she had a chance, but right now I don't really see what she could bring new to the game that isn't stretching for ideas.

Want - 2%
I'm very indifferent about her. There are lots of other characters I'd rather see get in first, but I wouldn't be upset about her inclusion if she was fun to play as.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario
Chance - 30%
They added a stylized version of Link as his own character so why not.

Want - 0%
Would rather have Paper Toad tbh

Daisy
Chance - 10%
If they finally decide to start including characters as alternate skins, she's in for sure.

Want - 10%
I'M DAISY

Nominations
Dark Matter Blade x3
Dragonite x2

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hoooweee...this was quite a day huh, Smash fans? It seems like everyone had something to say about Daisy. Thankfully, most were so distracted by the intense debate that they either forgot to nominate, or just didn't bother--contrary to what I expected, there were very few noms to count today. So it seems those four pages were mostly...friendly duscussion.

Yes. Let's go with that.

Anyway, noms time!

Noms update, day 20

Nominations List

Celica x 196
Andy x 192
Dillon x 179
Midna x175
Concept : Zelda Newcomer x 157
Professor Layton x 155
Marx x 143
Eggman x 142
Shulk x 140
Bomberman x 138
Decidueye x 136
Chibi Robo x 135
Shovel Knight x 128
Lucina x 125
Doomguy x 125
Waluigi x 123
Concept: No Cuts x 121
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 118
Banjo Kazooie x 118
Phoenix Wright x 118
Skull Kid x106
Geno x 105
Jibanyan x102
Lucas x 100
Sora x 98
Micaiah x 97
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x93
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x89
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x88
New story mode x70
Agumon x70
Mewtwo x 67
Elma x65
Travis Touchdown x 65
Sans (Undertale) x65
Dark Matter Blade x63
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x60
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x58
Funky Kong x58
Kamek x57
Excitebiker x57
Hades x57
Urban Champion x56
Tsubasa Oribe x55
Labo Related Character x 54
2B x 53
Blue Bowser x51
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x50
Arle Nadja x50
Roy x48
Henry Fleming (Code Name STEAM) x48
Lycanroc x45
Qbby (from Boxboy) x43
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x42
Black Shadow x41
Ryu Hayabusa x40
Simon Belmont x35
Concept - Skyrim representation x32
Neku x 32
Klonoa x30
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x30
Azura x 30
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x30
Lloyd Irving x27
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Susie (Kirby) x25
Sophitia x25
Concept: New Mother Character x 25
Masked Link x24
Ashley (WarioWare) x24
Mipha x24
Parabo and Satebo x24
Concept Indie Character x 22
Style Savvy Rep x 22
Doshin the Giant x22
Scizor x 21
Palutena x 21
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x21
Arcade Rabbit x 20
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x20
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Takumi (FE Fates) x20
Concept: Advance Wars CO x16
Dark Samus x 16
Returning game mode: Smash Run x15
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x15
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x15
Medusa x 15
Zeraora x15
Impa x 14
Poipole (Pokemon) x13
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
9-Volt (WarioWare) x12
Bayonetta x12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Greninja x11
Cloud x11
Petey Piranha x11
Viridi x10
Octolings x10
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Robin x 9
Mimikyu x 9
Pac-Man x9
Fawful x8
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x8
Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Concept: Custom Moves Return x7
Sylux x7
Tails x 7
Balloon Fighter x7
Nia and Dromarch x6
Starfy x6
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Prince Fluff x5
Ninten x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ray (Custom Robo) x 5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Gooey (Kirby Series) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
Django (Boktai) x5
Dragonite x5
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Lip (Panel de Pon) x4
Cranky Kong x4
Mii Fighters x 4
KOS-MOS x4
Toad x4
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x3
Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Tom Nook x3
Dragonborn x3
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x3
Isabelle x3
King Boo x2
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Zangoose x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toon Zelda x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Endou Mamoru x2
Tora and Poppi x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Dark Pit x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes) x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Concept: Snipperclips representation x1
Tetra x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Mach Rider x1
Sable Prince x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Sukapon x1
Slime (Dragon Quest) x1
Gengar x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Tingle x1

Notes:

FYI the only reason Waluigi was not on the initial schedule is just that the Daisy support thread was so huge. I would have put him on over Daisy if it wasn't so big. Either way Waluigi has a ton of noms so he should be rated in the coming weeks.

Also as a housekeeping note, the noms list is starting to get cluttered with nominations under 10, in fact it takes up a strong portion of the noms list. I will wait as it is not too big of a problem yet, but soon, most likley sometime in April, I will give a notice to nominate some of these up by a certain date, and anything under 25 will be taken off for the time being.
Ah...since we're doing that, I'll leave out the "new additions this round" part of my posts. It sorta encourages people to pile on new ideas, I suppose.

Nominations
Professor Layton x3
Phoenix Wright x2

I'm not completely familiar with the nomination stuff, so let me know if I'm doing it wrong.
You did very well, actually! You'd be surprised how many people goof it up, lol.

Nominations: x1 Tingle, x4 Midna/Wolf Link
I put your Midna/Wolf Link noms with the Midna entry. Is that cool, or did you want that as a separate concept?

Nominations: Jibanyan x5

100+ noms, here we come!
And just like that, you're there! You were actually the very post that did it.:grin:

And we'll leave it right there! Thanks for joining me for yet another noms update. Goodnight!

Edit: added the noms of a few posters before me. The list is up to date as of this post now.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Um, you do realize that Paper Mario is a spin-off series, yes? That is a pretty big discrepancy given the circumstances. No salt, it just seems like a pretty blatant contradiction.
With "spin-offs" I was talking about stuff like the Mario sports, kart and party games. I consider the RPG games to have some difference in level of importance.

Most Mario characters would be able to represent those spin-offs, while I can think of really only one character to represent Paper Mario.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
With "spin-offs" I was talking about stuff like the Mario sports, kart and party games. I consider the RPG games to have some difference in level of importance.

Most Mario characters would be able to represent those spin-offs, while I can think of really only one character to represent Paper Mario.
Nintendo does not. In fact, there was supposed to be Mario RPG content in the Minecraft Mario Mash Up, but Nintendo told them to cut it.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice

Honestly RPGs may be less important than spin-offs themselfs because it has been confirmed in Paper Jam that Paper Mario is a different universe, Mario & Luigi games may be a different universe too due to the lack of references in other games.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Honestly RPGs may be less important than spin-offs themselfs because it has been confirmed in Paper Jam that Paper Mario is a different universe, Mario & Luigi games may be a different universe too due to the lack of references in other games.
In the context of Smash, Paper Mario having games, with all of their elements, to call his own is really important when it comes to building movesets.
He's the main character, so the mechanics of the game are exclusive to his potential and with five games under his belt there's just a lot of cool playstyles and moves to be found.

A lot of moves Daisy does can functionally also be performed by other characters. She's the best candidate to do so and combine all these elements, but the main mechanics present in the spin-offs aren't exclusive to her.

If we're talking about how Daisy hasn't appeared in a Mario RPG yet (aside from a Battle Card Cameo), it could be great for Daisy's potential to climb up the ranks and appear in different types of games instead of sports n party.
This is also why Super Mario Run was so good to her, not because of a silly hierarchy in games and their value, but the variety in appearances and elements that it brings along

D

Deleted member

What's wrong with the "Krystal people"?
If you look at Krystal's day you can see the debate I had with one Krystal fan that was particularly passionate about her.
It was certainly... interesting.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I cannot find anything in the rules that says that debating isn't allowed in this case. The next day has yet to start. So please continue debating and the moderation only needs to step in if it gets heated. Please do not try to shut down the discussion either.

If the topic owner declares the discussion over, then it'll end otherwise. Just because the discussion doesn't interest you doesn't mean it's not allowed. Please keep it civil.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If you look at Krystal's day you can see the debate I had with one Krystal fan that was particularly passionate about her.
It was certainly... interesting.
I did just prior to my post. Just one person; I wouldn't use the blanket term "people" - Makes the rest look bad.

Not defending that person's arguments though. I mostly found them invalid.

D

Deleted member

I did just prior to my post. Just one person; I wouldn't use the blanket term "people" - Makes the rest look bad.

Not defending that person's arguments though. I mostly found them invalid.
Point taken.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
The next votation has not started so until we change character rant we can still debate about the previous ones.
That's fair, I don't have a horse in this race, I was just pointing out that definitively:
If you have not gotten your votes in, you have until 11:00 PM EDT. Otherwise...

Day OVER
I personally figured that once scores are no longer considered there was no point to continuing the debate in this thead, since the thread's point is more voting focussed. If you see value then go ahead.

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
OK, so today is gonna be a bit unconventional, since I am so overlogged with studying I do not think I can get the scores out on time. Will get them in tonight, will tag people who got the stuff right.

Today please begin to discuss Young Link and Pichu, and predict Crash's chances. Sorry for any inconvenience, will not happen again.

D

Deleted member

Gonna do this real quick

Pichu
Chance: 10%
The only character in Smash history that was literally omitted from the roster plans in the transition between games due to being an unpopular joke character. I have a hard time seeing him returning.

Want: 65%
I'm all for bringing back cut veterans. Pichu, while not a priority of mine, is no exception.

Young Link
Double Zeroes
:younglinkmelee: = :4tlink:
Change my mind.

Decidueye x5

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Since my last post got marked for trolling, I figure I should make it extra clear that this is my legitimate opinion.

Two zero days in a row, but let me lay it out to be extra safe.

Pichu: Chance/Want: 0%
The only character in Smash history to be straight up removed with no reason/no indication he was ever planned to return.

Yink: Chance/Want: 0%
Toon Link is Young Link, for all intents and purposes, Tink took the place of a child Link in Smash.

Morbi

Scavenger
Young Link

Chance: 1%

There is no place for a second clone version of Link as Toon Link exists. However, despite that, there is still room for "Masked Link." The inherent problem with that is the time has passed. He could return because he is NOT Toon Link despite what deluded individuals might believe, and they exist. It is in the name and just about everything else. The only similarity they share is that they are a small clone version of Link. That does not make them the same person. One is Young Link, Hero of Time, with his fire arrows and beautiful back-air. The other is Toon Link, ambiguously the Wind Waker, with his, um, swat back-air and anti-gravity boots that are ever so famous in Hyrule. The worst part, is because of their differences, Young Link would likely not be a costume. Unfortunate.

Want: 100%

He was one of the best veterans and Toon Link is a cheap imitation that gets away with it because he "represents" the Legend of Zelda games that nobody really wants to play, but we get them anyway.

Pichu

Chance: 10%

The only viable veteran missing from the Melee era with a unique mechanic to boot. He might return, just not in the same capacity. One suggestion I always offer is that he could replace Charizard if they brought back Pokemon Trainer. Doubtful, but with DLC, I could see him as a nostalgia pick.

Want: 100%

The best sandbag character of virtually any fighting game. The humiliation your opponent receives when losing to a Pichu is unrivaled.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Pichu

Chance: 5% - Not a lot going for Pichu. Only way I can see Pichu coming back would be if under the same circumstances as Dr. Mario. And even then, the chances of actually going with Pichu in that scenario are low.

Want: 0% - Not interested.

Young Link

Chance: 5% - The only way I can see Young Link returning is if they completely revamp his moveset using the masks. If his moveset isn't revamped, his chances are arguably worse. We may have had 2.5 Marths in Smash 4, but I don't think we're going to have 2.5 Links in Smash Switch.

Want: 0% - Not interested.

Nominations: Midna x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Young Link Chance: 5%
I'm only giving him anything because he is still a vet. But, with a lack of a noteworthy support base and having been succeeded by Toon Link... yeah.

Want: 0%
Sakurai's not going to change him drastically so he'd just be the third Link that's still based off of regular Link's moveset... when we already have Toon Link filling the smaller Link niche. So yeah, no.

Pichu Chance: 10%
Well... Pichu hasn't been succeeded by anybody, and he's got a bit more of a following... so he's in a better position than Young Link, I guess.

Want: 35%
I wouldn't be too miffed if Pichu came back, but like most other cuts, this one was one that doesn't need to nor should come back, nor do I care about Pichu personally.

Cresh Bandicat Prediction: 25%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Pichu
Chance: 20%
Has garnered some appeal as the joke character of the game, and a Gen 2 rep. But otherwise I think this character got cut from Brawl for a reason, and we're likely not going to see them again.

Want: 15%
I'd be indifferent to their inclusion. There are other clones I'd rather see instead.

Young Link
I mean, he never actually went anywhere. He just got a change in name and appearance. Regressing at this point would just be bizarre, as would making him a separate entity from his Toon successor.

Again, there are other clones I'd rather see.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Pichu

Joke character that has no relevance, nothing to offer for themself and more competition than any other nominee so far. Not 0% because Sakurai considers Smash's legacy above other things.

Better pokemon available, don't need a second electric mouse.

Young Link

Chance: 0%

He's now Toon Link, so there's no reason for him to come back even for the sake of older Smash titles.

Same reasoning as chance guess.

Crash Prediction: 44.28% (yeah whatever I'll give in to my gambling side)

Nominations:
Andy x 5

Also PhilosophicAnimal PhilosophicAnimal , I swear I'm not going back and checking stuff, I really don't want to be the guy who's double checking the work of dedicated members like yourselves. I swear this is just coincidence...

but

...I was checking the Page 1 posts to inform my Crash prediction and noticed (because it's at the top of the post above the previous results post I'm not looking for this stuff I swear):
Nominations

Andy x 192
Celica x 189
Which has Andy at the same number as your updated list, but not other characters, and I know I voted Andy. I'm really sorry to be this nitpicky person the second time in a row. I know it's a tough job and you both do it well. I just...well I'm an Andy fan...my boi...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Double zeroes for both today. Pichu is the only character from Melee that was never even planned for Brawl, and Young Link was pretty much replaced by Toon Link. There are far too many Pokémon I'd want in Smash more than Pichu, and I loathe having the same character on the roster more than once so please leave Young Link in the past, Sakurai. :p

Predicting a 43% for Crash.
Nominating Celica x5

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Pichu:
Chance: 15% It's been so long since we've had Pichu in a Smash game, and its relevancy has completely vanished. However, some people are starting to get nostalgic. It is a veteran after all, and Smash doesn't have a handicap character in it.
Want: 55% I would be in favor of bringing him back. It's not that much work to make a clone of Pikachu, and it would scratch that nostalgic itch. Plus, think of all the humiliation you could deal out by winning as Pichu.

Young Link:
Chance: 0% Oh hey, it's Toon Link. Yes, I know some people want Masked LInk, but Sakurai cut transforming characters in the last game, so why would he add in a new one in this game.
Want: 0% It's either redundant with Toon Link, or a transforming character. Hard pass on both of those.

Predictions: Crash 35%

Nominations: Chibi-Robo x5

D

Deleted member

Pichu

A despised joke character that only appeared once back in Melee and not many really miss.

I don't miss him either.

Young Link

Toon Link exists.

Want: 10%

Outside of nostalgia, the only appeal he has for me is his Final Smash. And I doubt they'd revamp his entire moveset to consist of mask powers, as cool as that could be.

Prediction: Crash - 20.7%

Remember when he was viewed as a pipe dream? How times have changed. Not that I think his chances are that high, though.

Nomination: Shulk x5

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Pichu:

Chance:
5% - I think there are a lot of clones ahead of Pichu in the pecking order, even potential new ones, and he was quite unpopular even as a joke character.

Want: 50% - I actually thought Pichu was pretty fun to play in Melee, you really felt up against the odds, and it was super sweet to actually win over someone with him as it'd give you eternal bragging rights. Although if he did come back they should probably make sure that he'd actually be the worst character in the game this time.

Young Link:

Chance:
1% - The only clone who I think Pichu is ahead of in the pecking order, Young Link has been replaced with a far more popular option and offers nothing to the roster now.

Want: 0% - Even as someone who's favorite Zelda game is Majora's Mask I don't think he's needed, neither would I want him over Toon Link, there's really nothing about him that doesn't make me just want to play as regular Link instead. Having three Links would also be ridiculous.

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Young Link:

Normally, I don't give zeros for chance, but Young Link is gone for good. We have Toon Link now, which is functionally the same character but with more games under his belt. If we were to get a third Link, it would be the BotW version as his own character.

I really would like to keep the multiple version of the (more-or-less) same characters to a minimum. Two Links is enough, and if BotW Link makes three, then we absolutely do not need a fourth.

---

Pichu

The only way Pichu will be back is if Sakurai did it for laughs again. Pokemon has a huge roster to choose from and Pichu just isn't important to the series anymore.

Just say no to clones, kids. Especially to those that are intentionally worse from the original.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Melee Clones Day!

:younglinkmelee:
Want: 1%

Wholly replaced by Toon Link - why else does Tink not have anything representative of WW/PH/3DS games?

The 1% chance is just because anything’s possible, 1% want is just since I did like the Fierce Deity moveset from HW. Otherwise, we’re already arguing about whether BotW link will be separate from regular Link, and we don’t need to make this Super Link Smash.

:pichumelee:

There are too many other Pokémon I want instead (Squirtle pls) of a mostly forgotten baby clone with a don’t-use-specials mechanic. Gen 2 doesn’t need a unique rep since it’s so enmeshed with gen 1.

For both though: I’d like their stages back.

Crash Prediction: 27.4%
Nom: Mewtwo x5

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Yeah I don't really have much to say on these two.

Chance 3% for Pichu, 1% for Young Link.

The only way I could ever see either of these two ever coming back is with the "No Cut Characters" concept, which in and of itself has about the same chance as those two.

I WILL say though, if they were to take Young Link and make him, say, Mask based or something along those lines, I can bump up my want stat for him a bit. I'm just going to assume we're talking about them as standard veterans though.

Predicting 35% for Mr. Bandicoot.

Nominate Geno x4, Celica x1

Just because I feel like poking the Andy supporters today. :cool:

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Pichu

Chances: 18%
HeartGold and SoulSilver came and gave Pichu a second life under the spotlight. Then HeartGold and SoulSilver left.

Smash 4: Revenge of the Clones saw almost everyone cut from Melee return in triumph, leaving only Young Link and Pichu in the dust. Unlike the former, the baby mouse has both the history and the gimmick to stand out from Pikachu and the rest of the Gen 1, but also a lot of infamy from a moveset that made no attempts to play around the gimmick he was burdened with. A modern Pichu set would require either a lot more power to make up for all the self-damage inflicted, or a complete overhaul to what's literally a baby Pikachu.

There's more against Pichu than just his history with Smash, however. With The Pokemon Company's attention firmly on the extreme ends of their generations (that is to say, either the first or the latest), Johto's been pushed back into the shadows from both corporate and fandom memory; every generation added is another generation arguing for for its own Smash representative. In Melee, Pichu was nothing less than one of the few viable choices when there was only a lone 2nd generation to account for, but competing against a 3rd and 4th generation in Brawl gave him the boot, while the 5th and 6th generations walled him out of Smash 4 despite it giving full support to Melee veterans. With the 7th generation in its crescendo and an 8th on the horizon, poor Pichu just hasn't evolved past his role as a cutesy advert of its time to stay within consideration.

Want: 45%
Despite everything, I still wish Pichu was around as a choice to really style on people in the hands of those good enough to use him. Johto is still nostalgic enough for me that I'd greet his return pretty warmly. But I can't give him such an easy vote as I did before, especially given how many new Pokemon reps there are battling for the chance to Smash.

Young Link

Chances: 8%
With Toon Link representing all the titles that share his distinct style and Sheik already filling in as Ocarina of Time's rep, Young Link's claim to his franchise's history leave him with the recently-reworked Majora's Mask and surprisingly enough, A Link Between Worlds. Compared to most other usual suspects on these speculation rosters, that's a heck of a lot better than most characters get! Too bad Revenge of the Clones skipped him anyway, and Breath of the Wild came out afterwards.

Three Marios of distinct histories already struggle to squeeze into any sensible roster. Three overly-similar Links where only two of them represent majority of the series means that an obvious choice has to be cut. There's no "it's just an extra slot" argument here: Young Link has to compete against both adult Link and Toon Link to get in, both of whom already push the different strengths that he represents to their effective extremes. Smash loses only a few Melee mains and LoZ titles by leaving out this textbook case of redundancy.

Want: 6%
I'm not up for getting this kid back, and I only tentatively support making him a Toon Link alt. That would require a few different taunts, victory animations, and other changes that'd take more than the usual work alts would get, making it something that I don't strongly expect development to go out of their way for. Young Link may have a few key games in the Legend of Zelda saga under his name, but it's not nearly enough to trump either Links' case.

Predictions:
Crash: 57%

Nominations:
Arle Nadja 5x

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Young Link Chance: 0%

I rarely give out zeroes for chance, but now that Toon Link's gotten in twice and seems to have gained a thorough following of his own, I can't see him getting cut in favor of ole' Young Link any time soon. Sakurai does think it's important to have a young version of Link on the roster, but that role seems to have shifted over to the toon version we see in WW and it's sequels. And I certainly don't think we're going to get any kind of third Link on the roster. Until we get any information that could shed some kind of new light on this situation and the characters, Young Link's return is all but impossible in my eyes.

Want: 5%

Only if he used masks for a more unique moveset and playstyle, and only if he didn't replace Toon Link, and even then, I still wouldn't take too kindly to him because I don't really want more than two Links on the roster. Toon Link is my favorite, by far. So if it takes cutting him to bring Young Link back, please just don't bring Young Link back at all.

Pichu Chance: 3%

Melee's token joke character who, IIRC, wasn't even planned to be brought back in Brawl, or at least didn't get far enough in the planning where data files of the character were left over in the final game. On top of that he's generally considered to be one of the worst fighters in Melee, and his following is rather small, but does exist. So yeah, not much going for the little guy, to say the least. I still think he's better off than Young Link as far as chances go, however, if you can believe that.

Want: 55%

Would be higher if I could say I'd be truly upset if he didn't return, knowing that he is far from likely to come back anyway. I'd actually really like to see Pichu back, but along with being so incredibly unlikely, I also worry they wouldn't do much to make him more interesting and effective as a fighter. I'd be less enthusiastic about his return if he was just a mere joke again.

Crash Prediction: 79%

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I cannot see Young Link and Pichu getting in. Even if they were considered for Switch’s character roster, their only big chance of getting in is being a last-minute clone, being of the lowest of low in character priority in terms of relevance. But who knows? If this is a straight port, I can see Sakurai putting extra veterans as a bonus to bring everyone (but Snake) back. It is a best case scenario, but a highly unlikely one at that.

x5 Octolings

Last edited:
Top Bottom