• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Doom Guy

Chance: 1%

As genre-defining as the Doom franchise is, the series has failed to take off in Japan, with the 2016 entry being the first in the series since the '90s or so to actually get a Japanese release and fall under many Japanese gamers' radars. If we're getting any western third party character in Smash, it's definitely not him.

Want: 55%

I wouldn't mind.

Prediction: Anna - 13.5%

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Doomguy
Chance: 10%
Ultimately this one's a toss up. We don't know much about the connection between Bethesda and Nintendo and what they're doing together currently. If there is a character from Bethesda though, you can bet that it'll be a classic fan favorite like Doomguy.
Want: 55%
I'm not too connected with the Doom series, but the more recent entry was amazing and it's always fun to watch someone speed run these old school shooters. He gets a more increased want from me because I would be somewhat hyped to see his inclusion.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Doomguy

Not going to lie I never considered the possibility of this character. The parent company is working closely to Nintendo recently and he certainly fits as an iconic third party character.

The issue I suppose is i kind of doubt he scored highly in the ballot. I have never heard his name in Smash circles.

Want: 10%
I do not think he fits the Smash aethestic (even Snake and Bayonneta do to an extent) and have a lot of characters I would rather have than him.

Anna prediction: 12.3%

Noms: Sylux x5

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Doomguy is doomed (haha see what I did there)
chance 15%
doom is on the switch and was a classic series but really dosn't fit the series and I just don't see him coming to smash

want 50%
looks cool and would be fun just dosn't fit

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Doomguy

Chance: 5%

Look I know, we've had representation from M-rated games in Smash before but honestly I think Doomguy would be pushing it. Doomguy is about one thing only. Brutally murdering demons in the most violent ways possible. If you'd put him next to characters like Jigglypuff and Toon Link he'd just stick out like a sore thumb. We didn't see Bayonetta whip out an iron maiden or a conveyor belt with a grinder in Smash, so I can't see them giving Doomguy like 75% of his weaponry.

Want: ABSTAIN

Haven't played enough of DOOM on the Switch to give an solid opinion on him if he were included.

Prediction for more Fire Em-ohgodnotagain: 9.11%

Nominations: Hades x5

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Doomguy
Abstaining on chance and want. As revolutionary as DOOM was I've never played any games nor do I care for the series.

x5 to Elma

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Doomguy:

Chance:
5% - As genre defining as Doom was, its lack of popularity or history in Japan makes it an extremely steep mountain for Doomguy to climb, given how biased Smash is to its country of origin. Also, despite its popularity in the west it's not like Doom is known for its main character, the game is incredibly iconic but the character himself isn't, if that makes sense.

Want: 30% - As far as gritty characters from M-Rated games goes he's a decent choice, but unless the fish out of water aspect of such an inclusion is really played up (like it was with Snake) it just doesn't feel right. Doomguy could potentially do that, and it could be pretty funny given how he's a silent protagonist, but I remain skeptical of the idea.

Nominations:
Mewtwo x5

Doom Guy

When Cloud was reveled, there was a sudden spike in people jumping randomly at trying to predict the enxt third party since "Limits were meant to be broken." Master Chief, Doom guy, 2B, and a slew of other characters suddenly were deemed to have a chance. Most have faded as people calmed down and rationalized but Doomguy managed to tick. This is in large part due to the fact that Doom managed to get a Switch port. And since recent nintendo console games are what tend to be focused on he has managed to stick around, when a few years ago he would only be laughed at.

As for Doomguy himself, it makes sense that he would be a choice. DOOM is one of the most iconic games of all time and essentially defined the first person shooter AND PC gaming. While the series may have fallen off the face of the Earth after Doom 3 only coming back this gen, DOOM is still an extremely important series. However Doomguy himself may be abother matter. Hell, we're referring him to "Doomguy" instead of a name. Even Steve from Minecraft can say that much.

Looking at Sakurai's character choice criteria mixed with the third party criteria feels extra useful right now

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/26/sakurai-on-character-choices/
  1. The character must display personality in their game
    From what little I know, he has one. Mostly being a **** who just wants to kill things. . .but he has one. Whether that converts to smash is another matter​
  2. It’s important to have something only that character can do.
    Doomguy doesn't really have this one. "guns" isnt really something special to him. The only positive is the quantity of the arsenal, not the quanlity​
  3. Potential development issues, and game balance is also taken into some consideration
    Probably not an issue​
  4. Distribution among the franchises is also taken into consideration.
    Not an issue. No DOOM content in smash yet lol​

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/
(SB is formatting this text weird don't worry about it)
  1. While it’s true that we’ve added characters from other companies, It’s not going to be anyone and everyone.
    1. Ehhhhhh. I'll let you decide on this one
  2. Both companies have to want the character to join the battle.
    1. If sakurai wants it, I dont think Bethesda would say no. That first part is the kicker
  3. The character must carry game history with them.
    1. Carries a ****ton

So some criteria he passes with flying colors, others it's a coin toss. And there is the worry that DOOM is a bit too mature. You could probably censor him just like Bayo was but it might not be something Sakurai wants to try. Unfortunately I cant say too much more because I know nothing else about the series or anything about Japan. For all I know PC gaming over there doesn't exist and neither does DOOM.

TLDR I wouldnt completely count him out. I think a LOT of this depends on Sakurai having played the new DOOM and randomly being inspired because otherwise I dont think he would even be considered. . .but I wouldnt completely sell him out because he somehow manages to fit a few criteria.

I only wrote this much to make up for how little I wrote for the 33 day roundup, and because I think his situation in the smash fandom is interesting. I havent even played DOOM

As for Want. . .pass. Never played DOOM and I dont care to see him join

noms: Elma x5
:061:

ikke471

The artsy ikke
NNID
ikke471
3DS FC
3695-0085-7971
Doomguy

chance 5%

As influencial as the doom franchise is.. I doubt it

Want 50%

I dont really care if he gets in or not but it could be cool

Megaban

Smash Cadet
DOOMGUY
Chance -3%
I don't even know who that is, I had to look at other posts to even relate him to the game or producer. Imo not close enough to Nintendo to match up, but like I know next to nothing about the series. Seems very niche.

Want -20%
Don't rly feel like he belongs here, but I prolly would get used to him if he does.

Nomination: Lana x5

Prediction: Anna: 20%

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Doom Guy
Chance - 1%
3rd parties are always a uphill battle. Doubtful he is that popular with the Smash crowd or Japan.
Want - 1%
I rather not flood the game with 3rd parties and start pulling them from anywhere and anything.

Noms- 5x Greninja

Troykv

Smash Master
Ayyyy

Doomguy

I don't even know what to say about him... His franchise is very iconic, but he looks so "no-Nintendo" that this is very hard to predict... Double Abstain

Prediction Time!

Anna (Fire Emblem) 10.1%

Nomination Time!

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5

:D

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Missed Skull Kid because of personal account problems. I abstain for Doomguy because I don't really know what to say about him, but at least I won't have to abstain for nominations.

Anna prediction: 11.41%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artwotrks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Doom Guy
Chance: 0%
First of all, I'm not disputing Doom's importance to video games. Secondly, I admit I've not played Doom... but does this guy not have an actual name?
I just do not see it. He seems like a meme idea just because Doom was released for Switch. I don't see Sakurai going for this character at all.

Want: 0%
I don't think he fits, and being a 3rd party, he has much more deserving competition for limited spots.

Prediction for Anna: 22.6%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex), Neku x4

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Doomguy

He has his fans, and DOOM certainly is no niche series. But the truth is, his game’s remake came to the Switch far too late for Sakurai to even consider adding him to the base roster, not to mention the competition he has with the far more popular (mainstream-wise, at least) Dragonborn.

Want: 40%
He looks cool, but I’d still greatly prefer the Dragonborn. I liked playing his game as a kid, though.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Doom protagonist want: 0%

Nominations:

Neku x5

Everyone who gave Skull Kid a low want score is dead to me.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That guy from Doom

Doom is one of the genre defining games in history for FPS, and Doom 2016 was a successful revival and that many do enjoy even now, but even with that in mind I can't see him being chosen. As mentioned before, Japan doesn't care for Doom at all as it hasn't found any success there, and while Sakurai is willing to cater to western tastes, there are other western games that have made bigger waves in Japan and thus would be more appealing to a broader audience. Additionally, even though Doom did pop up on the Switch, no one knew about it until late last year and there's no guarantee that Bethesda worked out a deal with Nintendo to get one of their characters in the game (and even if so, it'd be Doomguy).

Want: 50%
Never played Doom and there are a few other western IPs I'd prefer, but I'd be fine with him.

Nominations:
Lycanroc x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Doom protagonist want: 0%

Nominations:

Neku x5

Everyone who gave Skull Kid a low want score is dead to me.
15% Chance is my standard chance score for characters that:

- Have ballot support, at least good enough to be notable around their fellow Series Competition.
- Their relevancy is limited to spin-offs or are in weird spots in the franchise representation.
- They're characters mostly know for their one main game that is probably Seventh Generation or older.

Then after this score, if I have reasons to actually believe more in the characters... for example... if they essencially become Ensemble Darkhorses (like Lyn, she stand out compared with pretty much any character in FE that doesn't have muh recency in their side), I would increase the chances a bit more.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Doomguy

Chance: 1% - I don't see Doomguy as a character Sakurai would really want to go for, nor do I see Bethesda or ID Software pushing him to be in Smash.

Want: 0% - Not a fan of adding 3rd Parties to the roster, although I wouldn't hate him.

Nominations: New Story Mode x5

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Doomguy

Chance- 50%
Want- 50%

Probably the one Bethesda rep with legacy. I doubt we'll see him but he might be fun to rip and tear the Smash cast with.

Nominations- Wonder Red x5

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Doom guy

I don't really have much opinion on third parties. Pretty much every third party has an equal chance to each other. It's almost impossible to predict which character Sakurai would want to put in due to them generally not following the same rules as how Nintendo characters are picked.

Want: 5%
Don't really care much for doom.

Nominations: Ashley (Warioware) x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Doomguy

Chance:15%

Want:20%

One of the least likely Western 3rd party candidates.

Anna Prediction: 14.98%

Nominate Lucas x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Doomguy Chance: 5%
The lack of a support base plus DOOM's overall history in Japan pretty much spells his doom, despite being from a significant franchise.

Want: 40%

Anna Prediction: 20%

Nominations: Gengar X5

:094:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Doomguy

Chance: 1%
Competing with other more popular 3rd party characters is his biggest issue IMO nya. He's doomed nya:nifty:

Want: 30%
It just seems like he'd be a weird and random choice nya, but anyone who tears nyapart their enemies is welcomed in my book nya!

Nyominations
Isabelle: x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
His Chances are DOOMED!

His game is very iconic and whatnot but at the same time there isn't much demand for him to be in Smash and he's not even that well known in Japan. Never say never though.

Want: 20%

Not that interested really.

Prediction: Anna

Chance: 20%
Want: 43%

Nominations

Masked Link X 3
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf X 2

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Why do people hate third parties now all of a sudden? Really, It makes no sense. They are what generate the most hype. I’d love more Third Parties.

Doomguy
Chance: 35%
Want: 95%

Probably the best FPS rep that has any sort of chance. And we’ve gotten characters like Snake and Bayonetta who have just as if not possibly more violent content. I’d love him, honestly.

Nominate Klonoa X5

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Doomguy
Chance: 0.5%

No. Doom is a big deal and it's now on the Switch, but I just can't see Doomguy getting in. Looks wise he's not exactly iconic or recognisable(maybe because first person?) even if DOOM is iconic itself.
Every other third party we've rated so far seems like a better fit honestly.

Alright I want to get the latest Doom game. I may get it on the Switch even, but I do not want Doomguy in Smash. I know Bayonetta and No More Heroes are also gore fests, but Doomguy seem like a worse fit than the witch or even Travis Touchdown...

Just no.

Anna prediction: 20%

Nomination: Isabelle x 5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Skull Kid

Chances: 50%
He is one of the few recurring Zelda characters and easily one of the most recognizable (mainly because of majora's mask) although I still think they would go with someone new and fresh.

Want: 100%
Always been one of my favorite characters and someone I really want to see in smash not just for the Zelda franchise but overall as well.

Doomguy

Chances: 40%
Bethesda and Nintendo are working really well together recently and Doomguy probably makes the most sense out of all their IPs due to the history of the franchise but I still have a hard time seeing it although anything is possible.

Want: 35%
The original Doom was kind of fun to check out for like an hour on a boring day many years ago but other than that I have no attachment to the character or franchise.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Troykv

Smash Master
Why do people hate third parties now all of a sudden? Really, It makes no sense. They are what generate the most hype. I’d love more Third Parties.

Doomguy
Chance: 35%
Want: 95%

Probably the best FPS rep that has any sort of chance. And we’ve gotten characters like Snake and Bayonetta who have just as if not possibly more violent content. I’d love him, honestly.
Probably they think the casual people is putting too much focus into the Third Parties, instead of actually thinking in the Nintendo Characters (unless of course, they're recent and extremely popular like the Inkling).

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Doomguy

Getting ported to the Switch doesn't make a character any more likely to get added to Smash, especially if that game came out months or even years ago.

I didn't like the new Doom, and I didn't like the old ones.

Anna prediction: 10%

Nominations

Travis Touchdown x3

Funky Kong x2

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Just because his game is on the Switch doesn't mean anything. 3rd parties are not picked because of advertising but because they're icons otherwise Cloud never would have happened. Now he is an icon sure but he's doesn't really fit Smash. Snake didn't either but lucky for him Sakurai had something called preferential treatment due to Kojima. Doomguy doesn't have that luxury so he isn't happening.

He is neither a bird nor a bear so he's not the third party I want.

noms: Tethu X5

Prediction-Anna 13.47%

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
DOOM GUY!

Chance- 30%
As to try and be as unbiased as possible, I will list both positives and negatives clearly and separatley.
The Bad
Now, obviously, this guy won't have any notable ballot support, as DOOM wasn't rebooted until 2016, when the Ballot was long over. To make it even worse, DOOM wasn't "Nintendo relevant" for a long while until 2017 when the port was developed/made, so I think we will not see him in the base game. Even now, support is quite niche.

Now comes the obvious argument; DOOM's inherent violence. We DO have Snake and Bayonetta, and DOOM features heavy fantasy elements (demons, monsters, ancient civilizations and aliens) like Bayonetta, but focuses WAY more on the violence. There ARE games out there that get away with heavy gun violence and only need a T rating (Hello Uncharted, Overwatch, and Playstation Allstars), but gun violence is more likely to affect the Japanese CERO rating than the ESRB or PEGI ratings. I think this could be worked around by making Doomguy's personality consist of constant anger, but Sakurai may very well disagree.

There are many other western 3rd parties trying to get in the door, let alone japanese 3rd parties.Banjo Kazooie, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Shantae, Shovel Knight are all trying to get their foot in the door and Snake is trying to get back in too, so space is tight.

Also, DOOM is not popular in Japan. This is his biggest hurdle imo, as up until this point, the roster features heavy bias towards Japanese characters (can't quite blame them, but it's time to move forward) with the exception of Diddy Kong. Can't really comment on/debate further on this one, it's quite damning if you ask me.
So does he have ANYTHING going towards him? More than you may think at first.

The Good
Smashboards and Japan may not have the biggest FPS fans, but boy, does the rest of the world love em. It's arguably the best selling genre out there. And who do they all have to thank for their success? DOOM! One of the most influential games of all time, I'd say that the original belongs right up with the greats like Donkey Konkey Kong, Super Mario Bros, Space Invaders and Pong in terms of importance.

While many say Doomguy is the least important part of the game, and he is, he is still the mascot character and is extremely iconic(granted, Master Chief is more recognizable). He may not be recognizable among the younger gamer crowd (born mid 90s afterwards), but most of the people that were fans of the original when they were kids still recognize him. His face is plastered to the box art, as well as the health bar in both DOOM and DOOM II. His weaponry is also extremely iconic.

DOOM, DOOM II and DOOM (2016) were all on Nintendo consoles, and while Nintendo missed out on DOOM 3, they got their own exclusive DOOM game in DOOM 64, which has never been rereleased on other systems (I'm looking at you , Super Bomber Man R! Doomguy is loyal!)

Bethesda has also been quite buddy-buddy with Nintendo lately, and Doomguy is their most iconic lead character. Sorry Dragonborn! .

Wow, I went super unnecesarily into detail. Wonder why...

Want- 100%
RIP AND TEAR!
If you asked me this even 4 years ago id have said youre insane. But the most recent Doom reignited my love for the series and made me take a more serious lookat him! The classics are near and dear to my heart, and the new game is very fun. It would be hilarious to see him and his amazing weapons against the likes of Mario and Kirby. I think the oddballs like him are what make Smash Bros exciting. Also, I want to see Kirby with a super shotgun/chainsaw, and a level in Smash Bros that is just straight up Hell.

Also, I dont quite understand how exactly Doomguy is considered a 'meme' character. Yeah, theres the rip and tear memes, but hes not like Shrek or Goku in any way (atleast, thats what I think people mean when they say meme character. Has the term adopted a newer meaning while I was gone?)

If you read all this, thanks for your time!

Actually Who- 13.32%

Banjo Kazooie X 4
Thwomp X 1

Last edited:

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Probably they think the casual people is putting too much focus into the Third Parties, instead of actually thinking in the Nintendo Characters (unless of course, they're recent and extremely popular like the Inkling).
I know I’ve wanted Starfy for years, But he’s still an assist trophy. Really aside from him I couldn’t care much aside from me wanting characters from franchises OTHER than just Mario.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Chance - 0%: This is the single most random choice I've seen proposed on here. Doom is slightly iconic, so what? There are plenty of iconic games. No relevance to Nintendo, not requested by anybody, the character doesn't have a name and has to heavily use guns. A good amount of casuals in today's audience wouldn't even recognize him.

Want - 2%: Doom is an okay franchise but this choice just seems dumb to me. If you're going to do something stupid, go all the way and add mecha Hitler or something.

Predict Anna 8%

Nominate Blue Bowser x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Doomguy: Chance 4%
I legitimately don't know if Doom is big in Japan.

Want: 3%
Has a storied history, but doesn't do much for me.

Predicting a 12% for Anna
Nominating Henry Fleming x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Doomguy

Want: (abstain)

Prediction for Anna:
13.32%

Nominations:
Elma x5

:171:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Doomguy

Chance: 18% - Man, I never thought I'd see the day where I had to consider this guy a legitimate contender, but here we are. DOOM's influence on the gaming sphere cannot be understated. It's one of the most important games of all time, and while it's had a lengthy hiatus after the Nintendo-exclusive Doom 64, it's come back in style with it's latest entry being incredibly well-received and making the jump to the Switch. In terms of iconic and influential third parties, relevancy, and Nintendo support, Doomguy absolutely qualifies.

Unfortunately, while he's got all of that in his pedigree, there's quite a few stepping stones for him to get over first. While I don't see the distinction being as important as others do, he is a western third party for a series that's never featured one. I fully expect Rayman to break that mold this game, but it's still worth mentioning for right now. Secondly, the DOOM franchise never took off in Japan, which isn't a death sentence immediately considering Little Mac overcame that obstacle, but as a third party it ultimately hits him harder than it does Mac. Third, Bethesda is rather new to Nintendo's third party round table. Have they earned the chance to nominate a warrior to Nintendo's All-Star franchise when they've only just recently gotten on board with them at all? We'll have to wait and see.

Finally comes the issue of his moveset. He's certainly got the potential for it, the issue comes instead with creating a moveset that is iconic and accurate while still being beholden to Smash's overall friendly-to-everyone nature. Doomguy's most iconic weapon is just a real-ass shotgun, and while there's definitely weapons he could draw from that wouldn't be as realistic, they'd be trading part of the character's iconicity off to save on ratings. Even Doomguy's melee attacks would need some tweaking, considering a lot of them are quite violent and skullcrush-y. Snake went through something similar to get added, but Doomguy would need significantly more tinkering to get down to that comfy E for Everyone level. Unfortunately for Doomy, he's not had a Scorpion scenario either, where the developers have themselves created and approved of versions of the character without their otherwise trademark goriness, so he doesn't have that to fall back on either.

Overall, I think Doomguy's a possible curveball choice for the roster as DLC. For the base game I think he's juuuust missed the boat, but if Sakurai and co. are willing to overcome his hurdles he'd be a very worthwhile add.

Want: 60% - I didn't grow up with DOOM nor have I played any of the games, so I don't really have a connection to him, but he's definitely an iconic, storied character who I'd be happier to see than plenty of other 3rd party suggestions that've been thrown around. He'd be a much preferred option than something from Skyrim at the very least. But, if I had to choose a character from a super-influential M rated game, I'd much rather have Scorpion than Doomguy. Look for that nomination to start replacing my regular one once we've finished rating Dark Matter Blade and Impa.

Predictions

Anna: 5.12% - From a franchise that even Sakurai was correctly worried had too many characters already, which has tons of competition from characters like Lyn, Alm, Celica, and a FE16 protag, and in which her most common appearance is as a shopkeeper. She's sunk, and I'm expecting a lot of agreement on that front tomorrow.

Nominations

Dark Matter Blade x 5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Doom Guy

Chance - 2.5% - I don't think the timing is right for this one. DOOM was a big name, and while the reboot came to the switch, it's doubtful that negotiations were going on at the time the roster was decided. Add on top of being a third party with a notable emphasis on violence compared to most of the third parties we have, and, well...

Want - 20% - While I can appreciate the history, I don't think he's a fit.

Predictions

Anna - 14.24% - I think people are sleeping on her chances, although not as much as some.

Nominaitons

Arle Nadja X5

Top Bottom