• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Daisy
Chance: 10%
Want: 10%

I don't have much of an attachment to Daisy, so I don't really care about her.

Paper Mario
Chance: 40%
Want: 30%

Paper Mario is all right in my book, but there are many other characters I'd rather have. I don't really know what I'd do with him, except he would have some hammer attacks since regular Mario doesn't have any currently.

I nominate Mike Jones x5.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Forgive my pessimism when it comes to our favorite fungus friend, but I feel our hope for him to appear is in the form of Captain Toad.
Daisy's double jump could at the very least give her her own spin on Peach's float-based gameplan, with Peach being all about micro-spacing and precise movement, Daisy would be less subtle in her way of moving.
It's obviously not the core of her set, but between athletic soccer kicks, a ball to smack around and the potential use of Bombshell Koopas, the extra jump can be a glue to tie the gameplan of a more restless and risky "Peach" together.

What SMR also gives to Daisy is an appearance in a game with a small cast and confirmation of the possibility of a dress-wearing princess wall jumping. It's not much, but having the line-up go Mario, Peach, Luigi, Yoshi, Toad, Toadette, Daisy is a welcome change from the usual spin-off roster
Toad would likely appear as Captain Toad yeah, I just didn't mention that because it's not very related to what I was talking about :p

Daisy having a double jump doesn't mean much in Smash because everyone can double jump, you could give her a triple jump, but at that point you're describing ways to further experiment with Peach's style of play than how to make Daisy into something unique. Is a free-form Peach something new? Yes! Is developing a new character with the goal to experiment on an existing one really adding something "unique"? Not really.

Even if you want to add new normals that highlight her more sassy/sporty/strong personality, the whole theme of her design is just "easy Peach". It has merit, but not something they would likely consider top priority.

Morbi

Scavenger
Can someone tell me why Daisy has such a bad history but characters like Dixie Kong have a good one with Smash fans?
It honestly has less to do with history and more to do with the fact that Donkey Kong is predominately about Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. There is a huge lack of competition in that series relative to Mario. I am not trying to "tear" Dixie down as I support her as well, I am just saying that Daisy is further down the line in Mario despite being a much larger Nintendo character. You could easily place Dixie at number 3 in Donkey Kong and so people view her as a prominent aspect of the series and Smash fans have a huge bias for playable characters and looking at individual series even though those have an entirely negligible effect on the decisions made. Since Daisy IS playable, it defaults back to the spin-off argument as though Country 2 is not blatantly a spin-off.

"Diddy Kong's Quest." Next they be telling us that New Super Luigi U is a mainline game. :troll:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Daisy
Chances:
10%
Want: 0%

I think Daisy would probably be a Peach clone, so I'd really like to see her as a costume for Peach and not as a character of her own.

Paper Mario
Chances:
50%
Want: 100%

Paper Mario is literally the Mario character I most miss in Smash Bros. Although many people believe that he would be just another Mario, he passes well away from that. Play some Paper Mario games and you'll understand how it can be a unique and cool character within Smash Bros. Much better than Doctor Mario who was a cheeky clone.

Nomination: Agumon x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Toad would likely appear as Captain Toad yeah, I just didn't mention that because it's not very related to what I was talking about :p

Daisy having a double jump doesn't mean much in Smash because everyone can double jump, you could give her a triple jump, but at that point you're describing ways to further experiment with Peach's style of play than how to make Daisy into something unique. Is a free-form Peach something new? Yes! Is developing a new character with the goal to experiment on an existing one really adding something "unique"? Not really.

Even if you want to add new normals that highlight her more sassy/sporty/strong personality, the whole theme of her design is just "easy Peach". It has merit, but not something they would likely consider top priority.
I see it more like Wario having "crude Mario" elements in his design.
Build uniquely from scratch, but there's still visible parallels.

It's hard to make a Daisy moveset, not because there's not enough material, but because it always requires a creative liberty or a small stretch.
Is being able to throw Super Mario Land's Superball, or kick the Soccer Ball from Strikers and from there create a technical item playstyle a stretch? Yeah, but can it be combined with flower gardens, different types of catching moves, and the different "special moves" from Mario spin-offs to create an unique moveset that fits her character? Definitely.

In order to be able to create a core/glue to join the different spin-off material in a set, you've got to think something up.
Again, just like Wario, whose Chomp and Bike can all work together in order to create a cohesive Waft-based playstyle.
It fits his personality, but the Waft is most certainly not canon

StormC

Smash Hero
Can't believe people are honestly trying to compare Daisy and Dixie in this thread.

culumon

Smash Apprentice
Daisy
I know some people feel Mario is overrepresented in Smash, but that is not a sentiment I agree with at all. It's a series that looms large over Nintendo's history far more than any other franchise that isn't Pokémon or the Wii series, and even then it beats those two handily. It has an incredibly diverse cast of characters to choose from; you could have a fighting game with a 50+ character roster made solely out of the Mario cast and still have every single fighter feel radically distinct from one another. With such a diverse selection of characters still yet to come to Smash... I really don't see Daisy making the cut. Her competition is too stiff. Her prominence as one of the major players in the series seems more mandated and based on seniority than out of genuine popularity, and her moveset potential is... limited, unless you make her a representative of the sports titles - a position I think would more likely fall to Waluigi, if Sakurai felt it had to fall to anyone.

I don't revel in disliking Daisy. I'd love for Nintendo to do something interesting - anything at all - with the character. But they don't. She continues to hang around as a weird relic of the series to play her part in spin-offs and not much else. Until she does something of note I have absolutely no desire to see this character in Smash whatsoever.

Paper Mario
Chance: 65%
I feel confident in two things. The first is that we'll be getting a new Mario rep for this game, whether people want one or not. The second is that Paper Mario is the most likely candidate. The only reason his percentage isn't higher is because he does face some competition from other Mario characters - Captain Toad being another noteworthy contender. He's been a Nintendo stalwart for nearly two decades, represents a Mario sub-series completely unrepresented thus far (that being the RPGs), and he's had two games in the interim between Sm4sh and Smash Switch. I don't think the fact he'd be a third Mario impacts his chances much, since the 2D visual gimmick and a unique moveset would make him distinct from the other two Marios both aesthetically and gameplay-wise. I don't think he's a lock, but his inclusion wouldn't be a surprise in the slightest to me.

Want: 75%
He'd be at 100% if I wasn't one of those Paper Mario fans. Sorry folks, 64 and Thousand Year Door are two of my favourite games of all time, and also every night I lie awake cursing the mere existence of Sticker Star and Color Splash. The prospect of seeing Kersti and Huey in his moveset hurts me too much to give him full marks. But then my love for those first two games countermands that pain and makes me want him a whole awful lot. It's a weird predicament to be in.

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
I would like to say one last thing. Daisy is the Princess of Flowers in the Mario series. She has a strong affinity with flowers and plants. It has been demonstrated in many games, even the Mario Party series where characters usually do not have special abilities. It is even in her name and jewellery.

We do not have many plant based fighters in Smash Bros at all. Waluigi does not have that to fall back on. Also, her physical stature and aggressiveness make her more suited to the whole sports rep thing. Please take this in mind when rating Daisy's chances.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Can someone tell me why Daisy has such a bad history but characters like Dixie Kong have a good one with Smash fans?
Dixie:
+Unique
+Has her own (generally fantastic) games
+Is prominent in her own series
+Has moveset potential for Smash
+Great character design

Daisy:
-None of those things

RosiePeaches

Banned via Warnings
Dixie:
+Unique
+Has her own (generally fantastic) games
+Is prominent in her own series
+Has moveset potential for Smash
+Great character design

Daisy:
-None of those things
1. Even Donkey Kong Junior got priority over her in some cases.
2. At least Daisy has a different personality to Peach. Dixie Kong is literally a female Diddy Kong at this regard.
3. I can see her using hair attacks and her bubblegum popgun.
4. Her character design isn't really that popular. On the wider internet outside Smash she is rarely talked about and there is little fanart.
5. Dixie Kong's Double Trouble did not sell as well as the other Donkey Kong games.

I feel like Smash fans have just gotten to the point where any mention of Daisy is treated as a curse. It is really unfair that she is treated this way.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Daisy

Chance: 1%

If we're getting another Mario newcomer it will be either Paper Mario, Geno or Captain Toad. She's mainly a spinoff character which I think will make her low priority. Yeah she was introduced in Mario land but she did jack **** in that game. Also if we're gonna represent the Mario Sports and Party games, why not go for Waluigi who not only is way more popular but also has more of an personality? I feel like she'll be a Peach alt at most.

I just don't see the appeal.

Paper Mario

Chance: 50%

We got a Paper Mario stage last game. Maybe they'll take it one more step forward this time around.

Want: 50%

If his moveset would be based around the first 2-3 games I'd be very happy, but if they'd mainly focus on his recent games, I wouldn't really care for him.

Predictions: Young Link 18.71% Pichu 9.89%

Nominations: Hades x5
Um, you do realize that Paper Mario is a spin-off series, yes? That is a pretty big discrepancy given the circumstances. No salt, it just seems like a pretty blatant contradiction.

StormC

Smash Hero
2. At least Daisy has a different personality to Peach. Dixie Kong is literally a female Diddy Kong at this regard.
4. Her character design isn't really that popular. On the wider internet outside Smash she is rarely talked about and there is little fanart.
5. Dixie Kong's Double Trouble did not sell as well as the other Donkey Kong games.

I feel like Smash fans have just gotten to the point where any mention of Daisy is treated as a curse. It is really unfair that she is treated this way.
Dixie has had playable appearances in mainline games and even starred in her own game (which sold more copies than 95% of the Wii U's library). That's really what it comes down to. Daisy is incidental to every game she's ever appeared in.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

1. So what? DK Jr was a massive hit and was made by Nintendo themselves. His inclusion in... What, a single Tennis game? (Due to Rare taking the helm of DK at the time) means literally nothing.
2. Lol.
3. Sure.
4. The fact that some creepos don't incessantly draw her naked is a plus in my book.
5. It was released at the tail end of the SNES, and is still in the top 10 best selling SNES games. She has starred in two games. Daisy hasn't even appeared in two major Mario games in any capacity.

The parallel you're drawing doesn't work.

Maybe, just maybe, if Daisy fans didn't act like someone took a dump on a puppy every time people criticised the idea of her in Smash, you wouldn't find that the mere mention of her goes over like a fart in church.

Last edited:

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
Daisy
I'm just trying to show your hypocrisy. Daisy is just brown-haired Peach. In all those trophies in SSB4 that Daisy fans go on about, it's always brown-haired Peach. One is literally Daisy as an alt-costume for Peach. One is baseball Daisy, to go with baseball Peach. One is tennis Daisy, to go along with tennis Peach. Only one trophy of Daisy's is actually unique, and it's in a very similar to pose to, you guessed it, Peach. Yes, Daisy has a different personality than Peach. In all other respects though, she is exactly the same. So, Sakurai might add her as a clone. For her fans, that would be doing an injustice to the character, so they wouldn't be happy. For her detractors, that would make them mad that she got an unreasonable spot in the game. It's a lose-lose for Sakurai. I appreciate your devotion to your girl, but this is ridiculous.

And yes, I am aware of her appearance in Mario Run. They needed a character to advertise a new mode, and they chose Daisy. Congratulations! They even gave her another jump. That's moveset diversity! (Don't pay attention to the fact that everyone in Smash can double jump) Unfortunately, I have to wonder if you're thinking this through. They couldn't give this role to any other characters, as most characters have already been shown not to have a double jump in Mario platformers. They wanted a female character, since the vocalist singing was female. They wanted someone they could add into the game easily. Hey, let's just make a Peach re-skin, which is exactly what they did.
Hypocrisy? For what? Daisy not only has a different personality than Peach (and role... yes) but she doesn't fit with Peach's moveset as well. If she is a clone at this point she was totally joining as a Peach alt in 4 but it didn't happened.
Yoy are understimating Sakurai, not only we didn't got a flower based moveset yet buf Sakurai and his team are really creative when it comes to movesets, they gave a unique one to characters without potential. Clones are just last-second additions, if they got a longer develop 90% of them (if not ALL of them) would get an entire new moveset. So no it's not Daisy that is a Peach clone it's just that people have not enough creativity.

And for her double jump... the only Mario characters who has the same ability is Yoshi, yeah Mario characters got a double jump in Smash but the franchise is not canon to the Mario series so it doesn't count.
Also Daisy was not an edit of Peach's model in this game, you can clearly see it watching details like her frills who appears to be different and so on.

And just because their trophies represent the same sports does not mean it's a clone thing.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You know...at first I wondered why Daisy was paired with Paper Mario for rating.

I really thought Captain Toad and Paper Mario should have been rated together being similar stars of their own IPs, then Waluigi and Daisy together due to their similar supports with Pauline and Geno later on, but I feel like TCT~Phantom made the right choice.

I imagine if Waluigi and Daisy were rated on the same day it'd be like Super Mario Civil War in here.

Today has been probably the most heated day in Rate their chances thanks to Crazy Daisy. Definitely not a slow day at least!

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Alright, let's go.

Daisy Chance: 27%

Waluigi seems to be more popular (and predicted for some reason). Both appear primarily in spin-offs, and although Daisy debuted in a Super Mario game, it was too long ago to count for anything now. There are still choices for Mario characters who appear in more prominent games, like Paper Mario, Toad, and even Pauline.

When Rosalina was chosen, half her appearances were spin-offs, and in another one, she wasn't important to the game. This at least gives me a little hope.

Daisy Want: 90%

:4cloud2:'s addition negated my want for Black Mage, which allowed Daisy to infiltrate my top 10 most wanted newcomers. She is a leading member of the Mario cast, even if she isn't in Super Mario games. I mean, she's a princess (that keeps making appearances).
I want to be able to do this in 8-Player Smash.

Saying she has no moveset potential is incredibly wrong. Being a staple for Mario spin-offs has actually contributed to this regard.
These can reasonably be transformed into specials for Smash Bros. As for normals, she can work with petals in various ways.

Paper Mario Chance: 70%

The Paper Mario series is still up and going. There are plenty of things in the series Sakurai could see interesting and want to work with.

Paper Mario Want: 10%

Considering he's actually existed alongside standard Mario, he'd probably be the only alternate version of a character I'd accept. Yet, he's not Daisy or Waluigi.

Nominations: Urban Champion x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You know...at first I wondered why Daisy was paired with Paper Mario for rating.

I really thought Captain Toad and Paper Mario should have been rated together being similar stars of their own IPs, then Waluigi and Daisy together due to their similar supports with Pauline and Geno later on, but I feel like TCT~Phantom made the right choice.

I imagine if Waluigi and Daisy were rated on the same day it'd be like Super Mario Civil War in here.

Today has been probably the most heated day in Rate their chances thanks to Crazy Daisy. Definitely not a slow day at least!
Pauline and Daisy would've given a nice debate on the value of spin-offs vs the value of main games, although I feel having a relatively uncontroversial character paired with Daisy was a great decision.

Overall a great start to the speculation season.

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I would like to say one last thing. Daisy is the Princess of Flowers in the Mario series. She has a strong affinity with flowers and plants. It has been demonstrated in many games, even the Mario Party series where characters usually do not have special abilities. It is even in her name and jewellery.

We do not have many plant based fighters in Smash Bros at all. Waluigi does not have that to fall back on. Also, her physical stature and aggressiveness make her more suited to the whole sports rep thing. Please take this in mind when rating Daisy's chances.

If any female plant user is going to be added it should be Viridi from Kid Icarus

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
As long as people keep calm and don't resort to personal bashing, I really love these debates and discussions. RTC is actually educational and has always been my favorite speculation season thread. I hope everyone has a good time learns some new facts about Nintendo games, characters, and history in the coming weeks! :)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Daisy:

She has yet to really do anything to set her apart from Peach, and most-likely never will. At her very core, she is still a clone of Peach; whether its a damsel in distress in her debut game, love interest to a plumber, or nearly having the same abilities in spin-off games, just with a flower motif over a heart one, her very essence is "Yellow Peach." Even with the "potential" of having moves and abilities based off the spin-off games, which would better suite the more popular Waluigi, I doubt Sakurai would go this route as being a second Peach is too embedded in her character and ignoring that would not be doing her justice. So the only option for her is some sort of duplicate role, and honestly, the Mario series has more interesting, relevant, and popular characters to choose from. Her best chance is to remain an alternate color pallet for Peach.

I understand why Mario has so many characters, but it still feels over-saturated. If we are to get a new character from that series, it better be one who can bring something fresh and new to the table. Daisy just isn't it.

Paper Mario:

I think his chances are decent, possibly a little iffy. His series has gotten a few new titles in, and, despite being an alternate form of Mario, has done plenty that sets him apart from any other character (who else can fold into a paper airplane, for example?). He does have (Captain) Toad and Waluigi, two very popular characters, to contend with and the stigma of being a different form of a character already playable. His support is pretty strong, so he has that going for him.

Want: 40%
He's interesting enough to be a fun an unique fighter, but I'm quite fine if we don't get a new Mario character also. Replace Doc with him and I'm all for his inclusion.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Just gonna give you guys a heads up, tomorrow is gonna start a bit late, I have two tests tomorrow I will be occupied most of the day.

Honestly YoshiandToad YoshiandToad i split the days up for Mario like this in order to try to avoid as much of a flame war as possible. Daisy for some reason is controversial (apparently she has a personality). Can you imagine if I did rivalry days?

Also this thread is definitely sparking today, keep up the lively debate coming forward.

DaisyandRosalina

Smash Apprentice
I mean it uses the Super Mario name, which is the brand-name of the mainline games. Even if Nintendo would want to look at Super Mario Run as a big Mario title, Toad and Toadette were playable in the game way before Daisy was. Additionally, looking at SMR as a member of the "Super Mario Bros." series, Toad has been playable and appeared in more games than Daisy.

In a franchise like Smash, that really wants to have each character feel like they're straight out of their games, I don't know if Daisy's ability to double jump does much for her, at least against some Mario characters that have natural attributes and abilities that make them their own thing.

You can argue SMR gave Daisy something, but that's not considering what it supplied for her major competition either.
This gives more than it seems to me:

- Being in a main, game (before or after Toads doesn't matter) deconfirms the "irrelevant spin-off character" argument
- Her double jump can be translated into a triple jump since other characters Yoshi aside can't double jump which is inyeresting imo.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
As long as people keep calm and don't resort to personal bashing, I really love these debates and discussions. RTC is actually educational and has always been my favorite speculation season thread. I hope everyone has a good time learns some new facts about Nintendo games, characters, and history in the coming weeks! :)
I am just glad that this opens up the door. It felt a bit drab in most of the preceding days because people would just post their rating and leave. It is nice to actually discuss their chances on a thread dedicated to... Well, discussing their chances.

Honestly, I would have rather had Waluigi with Daisy because Paper Mario is getting a bit neglected and most people are referencing Waluigi anyway. It just seems like wasted potential.

ChrysanthosVice

Smash Cadet
Daisy
Chance: Below 87%
The more time goes on, the less chance we have. She's absolutely a fan favorite, of course, but the question always remains: is that ever enough?
Want: 98%
A genuine want, but I'm worried they'll clone her off of Peach and then we'll never hear the end of it.

Paper Mario
Chance: 79%
Normally, I'd give the lil' guy a higher rating, but after the last game's bomb, I'm starting to think we'd be better off looking for a third Link.
Want: 85%
I've never played a PM game (either Paper Mario or Project M), but they always look like a fun time. I'd love to see how he'd stand out in this rogue's gallery.

Morbi

Scavenger
Daisy
Chance: Below 87%
The more time goes on, the less chance we have. She's absolutely a fan favorite, of course, but the question always remains: is that ever enough?
Want: 98%
A genuine want, but I'm worried they'll clone her off of Peach and then we'll never hear the end of it.

Paper Mario
Chance: 79%
Normally, I'd give the lil' guy a higher rating, but after the last game's bomb, I'm starting to think we'd be better off looking for a third Link.
Want: 85%
I've never played a PM game (either Paper Mario or Project M), but they always look like a fun time. I'd love to see how he'd stand out in this rogue's gallery.
I actually believe the opposite, her chance, at the current time, is greater than it has ever been and even if she does not make the base game, she still has potential as a DLC character and presumably a different Mario newcomer would lighten the competition for her, even if her priority is relatively low on that list. And hey, if both of those end up failing, there is always next time where her competition would arguably be the slimmest.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Daisy
Chance: 20% - She definitely has a decent shot. She has a loyal following and could have a move pool that tributes the Mario sports series. I don't want to underestimate her seeing as how I gave Rosalina a 4% in the SSB4 rate their chances and she ended up making it in.

Paper Mario
Chance: 40% - He is the star of one of the best selling Mario spin off titles and has the potential for a very unique move pool. Having a 2D model may reduce the amount of work needed to put into making him, which is beneficial when Sakurai and staff are trying to squeeze 60+ characters into this roster in so little time.

Nominations: New story mode x5

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Daisy

Chance: 14% - This is as much as I'm comfortable giving her. There's no way in hell Sakurai picks her out of the extended Mario cast, and there's no way in hell any higher-ups within Nintendo are going to be pushing her. Her only real shot is if Peach's recurring Daisy recolor gets bumped up to a full alt costume/character, or a Lucina/Dark Pit style clone. Sorry to the (suspiciously similar) Daisy fans in the thread, but I'm not convinced by Miitopia cameos and app games of all things.

Want: 35% - I'm normally indifferent to her, but I'm subtracting 15% for her increasingly overbearing fanbase. It's a sore subject for many, and for good reason. Otherwise I don't particularly mind her, especially considering that, as a clone, she'd likely take much less time than a full character to add. I like the character, but don't find her to be a Smash-worthy addition yet. If she gets some more mainline Mario roles and starts being relevant outside of sports and parties again, then I'd say both chance and want for her will skyrocket. Until then, she stays buried under a heap of other more worthy Mario characters.

Paper Mario

Chance: 35% - Hey, speak of the devil! Paper Mario's sub-franchise is alive and kicking as of the Wii U era, and while his latest two games may have been nigh-universally panned, the first three have a very strong following still. In terms of moveset potential, a potential partner system and papery antics put him at the top of the Mario heap. However, he's got two big paperweights dragging him down. He's not anywhere near as popular or as iconic as other Mario frontrunners, like Waluigi or Captain Toad. And, most damningly, despite everything, he's still a third Mario. A Mario from a completely different sub-series, and one that undoubtedly wouldn't be a clone, but still a Mario. If anyone's earned the right to have three of himself in Smash, it's Mario, but I don't feel like he'd be prioritized when other characters are in line.

Want: 45% - And I probably wouldn't prioritize him either. Sticker Star and Color Splash were atrocious, Super Paper Mario was alright, and it doesn't seem like there's much interest in going back to the series' classic RPG style of 64 and TTYD. The PM series is dying a slow, drawn out death, and this seems like one of the worse times to promote it. That, and despite knowing he'd be different, three of any character, no matter how varied, is too many for me. I loved the first two games, and if he had a moveset based on those, this score would probably double overnight. But we all know what his moveset would be based on if he got in now, and with that in mind, I'll pass. Mario and Luigi was always the better RPG series anyways :shades:

Predictions:

Pichu: 9.13%
Young Link: 7.43%

Oof, poor Melee kids. These two youngsters probably have THE worst shot of all the cut vets, considering their lacking popularity and long-gone relevance. Their only chance is really if Sakurai specifically sets out to bring back all the vets for one game, and even then, Young Link might not make it due to Toon Link basically being his direct successor. IIRC, Toon Link didn't even get a newcomer banner back in Brawl, so Sakurai might even just count them as the same character. Tomorrow's gonna be rough for yesteryear's lil tykes.

Nominations:

Dark Matter Blade x 5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Princess Daisy Chance: 30%

Granted, I've not really checked her thread, so perhaps my mind will change later on, but this is what I think for the time being. Perhaps she could use sports-type abilities from the many spin-offs she's in, not unlike some ideas for the man in purple, but not many other ideas come to my mind. Not appearing in the mainline series much at all has hurt both of their chances more than anything else, for sure.

Want: 30%

I want Waluigi far more than her, but as long as she's not a Peach clone, I won't really complain too much.

Paper Mario Chance: 50%

This one's another toss-up, in my opinion. The franchise is highly successful overall, but less so with the more recent games. Question is if Sakurai has ever looked at the character and sees some fun fighting potential in him.

Want: 75%

If he uses powers and abilities like the ones he used in the first three games, then sure! If not, then please no. That said I wouldn't have as much of a problem with three Marios on the roster as I would with three Links.

Nominations: Shovel Knight x5

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Daisy:

She has yet to really do anything to set her apart from Peach, and most-likely never will. At her very core, she is still a clone of Peach; whether its a damsel in distress in her debut game, love interest to a plumber, or nearly having the same abilities in spin-off games, just with a flower motif over a heart one, her very essence is "Yellow Peach." Even with the "potential" of having moves and abilities based off the spin-off games, which would better suite the more popular Waluigi, I doubt Sakurai would go this route as being a second Peach is too embedded in her character and ignoring that would not be doing her justice. So the only option for her is some sort of duplicate role, and honestly, the Mario series has more interesting, relevant, and popular characters to choose from. Her best chance is to remain an alternate color pallet for Peach.

I understand why Mario has so many characters, but it still feels over-saturated. If we are to get a new character from that series, it better be one who can bring something fresh and new to the table. Daisy just isn't it.

Paper Mario:

I think his chances are decent, possibly a little iffy. His series has gotten a few new titles in, and, despite being an alternate form of Mario, has done plenty that sets him apart from any other character (who else can fold into a paper airplane, for example?). He does have (Captain) Toad and Waluigi, two very popular characters, to contend with and the stigma of being a different form of a character already playable. His support is pretty strong, so he has that going for him.

He's interesting enough to be a fun an unique fighter, but I'm quite fine if we don't get a new Mario character also. Replace Doc with him and I'm all for his inclusion.
Y'all are probably sick of me quoting you guys but even if Daisy, in her core is a second Peach, that doesn't mean there's not a great moveset to be found in the differences.

For example, Peach has her float, Daisy has now a triple jump and if not she could have more mobility in general.
Peach's float defines her playstyle, so changing that precise spacing, horizontal micro-spacing aerial tool to the more rigourous and abrupt, diagonally oriented fake-out purposes of a third jump or again just higher air speed, faster fall speed changes her playstyle.

Remove the float, and you have to cut moves as well.
Down Air is obviously build around Peach's low grounded floating.
Up Air is effective because Peach can stay in the same vertical position during it, aka she doesn't fall
Forward Air would be much harder to space etc.

This is a valid semi-clone set.

Of course, making a unique moveset for her is harder, because these spin-offs don't bring forward a new alternative, a new glue, a new core for a moveset automatically.
There's not one move that's recurring, one that comes "floating" up.

I think this core can be a "Superball" or "Soccer Ball", which would give Daisy a technical set that'd fit her precision in the field of athletics.
She could aim it into a created garden, which would make it gain a "Flower/Lip's Stick" effect.
She can make it bounce and return in a combo.
She can let it volley against a shield.

And then the normals? Soccer kicks, lunges, outright slam dunks.
All in her dress. Because while Peach tripples and dandles around, Daisy does not care about a dirty dress, but about a lost game.

I am just glad that this opens up the door. It felt a bit drab in most of the preceding days because people would just post their rating and leave. It is nice to actually discuss their chances on a thread dedicated to... Well, discussing their chances.

Honestly, I would have rather had Waluigi with Daisy because Paper Mario is getting a bit neglected and most people are referencing Waluigi anyway. It just seems like wasted potential.
We don't want the apocalypse yet Morbi.
Paper Mario isn't a controversial character so he doesn't get much attention, can you imagine this day WITH Waluigi?

That's the evilest thing I could ever imagine

Anyway this has been a hell of a ride but I'm calling it a day for today, see you tomorrow

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Flower

Odds - 5%. Many more Mario Characters are more deserving

Wants - 5%. I don't really care.

Thin Sheets of Tree Mario

Odds - 40.37%. We're going to get a rep for the Mario Spinoffs eventually, and Paper Mario is still relevant (For better or for worse).

Wants - 20%. I'd prefer Fawful any day of the week (exept maybe on Thursday), but I'd still like him in.

Nominations : Marx x4, Kamek x1.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Ok so hear me out, We rated:

Captain Toad with Pauline
Paper Mario with Daisy

I suggest we rate Waluigi with another Mario girl :grin:

slambros

Smash Ace
Daisy

Chance: 0%
I think the inclusion of Rosalina over Daisy in the last game is a sign that the developers are not interested in considering a character who would play too similarly to Peach.

I like Daisy. I really do. In fact, she was my go-to choice in Mario Party for a long time. But I don't think she'd be an inspired pick for Smash. That's just me.

Paper Mario

I think there's a reason why he hasn't been implemented yet. Paper Mario is big enough to warrant the inclusion, so there has to be a reason why he's been glossed over. Maybe it's Mr. Game & Watch. Who knows.

I like Paper Mario, but I think it'd be for the best if the developers prioritized other series.

Predictions:
Pichu - 15.44%
Young Link - 13.44%

Nominations:
Dillon x5

:171:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh boy, the Mario character that brings out the worst of this fanbase and the sub-series that brings out the worst in me.

Daisy

The only thing she really has going for her is she's a primary Mario character, which let's be honest, boosts your chances a fair bit. She is still popular, too. But all in all... Eh. There's a very good reason Rosalina was put in and not her.

Want: 15%
I mean, I'm not AGAINST her, I do like Daisy as a character, but... I'd rather have other Mario characters.

Paper Mario

Chance: 20%
Again, Mario character boost. Plus, Sakurai has always shown the Paper Mario series a lot of love, through the trophies and even a stage. I still don't think he's terribly likely, but hey, it's higher odds than some others.

Want: 100%...?
If it's pre-Sticker Star primarily, HELL YES. TTYD is my all-time favorite game, and the Mario RPGs as a whole are my jam. But... If we're gonna go full out "Paper" with no proper love for what made the series great... No thanks. I'd literally rather not have him at all if we go that route. I'd... probably be pretty visually angry. Some members here can vogue for that.

Nominate Geno x5

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Man, it was definitely a missed opportunity for a Waluigi and Daisy day, the war would have been funnnn. Well, who else besides Mario characters can draw strong controversy?

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Wew lad

Hi, I'm Daisy is probably a joke that's been made 20 times today
Chance: 25%
I put her in the exact same boat as Waluigi, being the spin-off character.
Want: 60%
I want her more than Waluigi, but less than Captain Toad

Paper Mario
Feels like this one could go either way
I've only played Sticker Star

Young Link Prediction: 9.64%
Pichu Prediction: 6.82%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Daisy
I won't say she's impossible but I feel like she would've been added by now...

She sort of the Tingle of the Mario series where she's a recurring character who's got a decent amount of popularity....but is also very widely disliked by the fanbase as well...

No thanks....

----

Paper Mario

Chance: 20%
Paper Mario is quite a beloved series, though its sort of deviating in a direction fans don't really want it to go in...as far as his chances in Smash perhaps he'll be on Sakurai's radar and seeing as he'll likely play a lot differently than the other Marios in Smash it wouldn't steer him away from the idea...

Want: 5%
Ehh...haven't really played any Paper Mario games, but I don't particularly care...

---

Nominations:
Zelda Newcomer x5

Top Bottom