• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I believe you are referring to historical character (like Mr. GAW and ROB)? That was purged some time ago. I think it had 20 nominations.
Yeah, that was it. It was a long time ago, but I didn't realize that purges were a thing.

Are the votes gone for good now? I'm hoping to not have to start nominating from complete scratch again. :upsidedown:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, that was it. It was a long time ago, but I didn't realize that purges were a thing.

Are the votes gone for good now? I'm hoping to not have to start nominating from complete scratch again. :upsidedown:
I would rather be rating more specific historical character choices. A historical surprise newcomer getting in the game is going to happen IMO, the specific choices is where rating will be more interesting.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Tom Nook

Chance: 10%
Want: 0%

I see Isabelle having the edge thanks to her explosive popularity since New Leaf. Isabelle even appeared in Mario Kart 8 as a playable character so her appearances isn't limited to just Animal Crossing. I can't find any notable roles like that with Tom Nook outside of Smash.

Im sorry, Blue, but New Leaf was my first Animal Crossing, and I got introduced to Isabelle first. Tom Nook was kinda just there for me. Once you fully expand your house, you can pretty much ignore him. I think he appears in Brewster's shop, but I think it's random. I see Isabelle as the likely second AC newcomer. Tom Nook over Isabelle would cause some eyebrows to be raised.

Nominations
Rowlet x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Tom Nook
Chance: 7%
Isabelle. Sorry Nook, you're old news.
Wario already has the greedy fighter down and Nintendo just aren't pushing old Nook like they used to. They could of course add Isabelle and Nook, he's certainly the third most likely Animal Crossing character for whatever that's worth, but when he let Isabelle be the introductory character, and let his nephews replace him as the store owner he took a massive hit to presence within the game.

Want: 60%
Used to be a lot higher. Hell, Nook was my AC character of choice, but Villager has pretty much incorporated a lot of my original ideas for Nook into his moveset bar smashing people with a bag of bells and throwing furniture leafs at people. Nowadays I've moved on to the cute Isabelle, and am pretty satisfied with Nook as a Final Smash.

Predictions:
Lip: 5%

Nominations:
Meowth X 3
Slippy Toad X 2

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I think the difference between creating a move-set for Villager and assembling a move-set for Tom Nook/Isabelle is theme, characterization, and personality. The villagers in Animal Crossing do not have any clear, appealing characteristics that would immediately set a notable basis, requiring more creative thought and research to assemble a good move-set. Tom Nook has a clear, stand-out trait of being a money loving business merchant and Isabelle has a clear, stand-out trait of her controlling the town's environment/politics for me to immediately see these characters as unique fighters with potential. It allows the assembling of creating original move ideas for these characters to feel less restrictive and more playful. The least a newcomer needs is a clear theme, a distinct type of combat that has yet to be seen in Smash.

All Wii Fit Trainer needed to stand out was to have a theme utilizing exercises for Sakurai to see her potential. The themes of merchants and town-builders have yet to be seen as fully fleshed out fighters in Smash yet. Those themes are sufficable enough for Sakurai to work a good move-set around Isabelle and Tom Nook. Even by an off-chance that Sakurai has trouble envisioning their move-sets in the planning phase, them being more difficult to implement would not stop Sakurai, especially when he developed move-sets out of Pac-Man with his set of moves inspired by a compilation of classic Namco games and the complex Ryu with his various fighting mechanics. To think that Sakurai would give up on implementing non-combatant newcomers like Isabelle and Tom Nook is greatly underestimating his length of creativity, especially with Sakurai noting the importance of seeking out newcomers beyond the obvious fighters that are clearly capable of doing combat. Those kinds of non-combatant characters is what Sakurai wants because they have stand-out characteristics that not many combat-based fighters would normally have.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Tom Nook

Chance: 15%
Once the 'mascot' of Animal Crossing who'd give you a home loan; but sadly he's now been displaced by Isabelle, who's become a fan favourite and someone Nintendo uses quite a bit for promoting AC. That's not to say Nook's been thrown under the bed to rot like Wart or Tatanga; far from it; he's still one of the AC mainstays, appearing in new games and Pocket Camp. However, I think Isabelle's probably gonna be the most likely Animal Crossing character for Smash Bros.

Want: 15%
Not invested in Nook as a fighter. Personally I'd be fine with Isabelle joining the roster, or Villager on his own. I could imagine him using Bells as a bludgeoning bag, but I don't see him giving me that much interest.

Nominations: Yu Narukami X5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Tom Nook

Chance - 12.5% - I'm giving him the score that would give an Animal Crossing newcomer 50% after Isabelle. Isabelle is crazy popular, and while he may be of the old guard, he didn't get as popular as Isabelle did. He still has some carry over, but Isabelle has him crushed. While Sakuri might have some details in mind, personally I'm not wholly convinced Animal Crossing will get a second character in the first place, due to Villager squeezing out most of the potential

Want - 45% - I'd prefer him to Isabelle. That said, I'm perfectly fine with just Villager.

Predictions

Lip - 8.53% - Poor her...

Nomiations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The Nuke

Chance: 55%
I believe AC will get another character. It’s a big series for Nintendo and it’s only going to get bigger (Pocket Camp and the inevitable AC Switch are my purported evidence). Would have rated him higher, but Isabelle would probably be the first choice for the new rep, but Nook does have a few points over Isabelle (villain, history) not to make him a complete loser.

Want: 100%
Yeah

Lip prediction: Boy oh boy, so glad to see her round here. Wishful thinking, but 9%

Noms: ...
Wow, can’t believe I actually got Urban Champ in. I guess I could either focus on saving Ayumi and Mach Rider from the purge, or getting Sable up on top. Hmm...
Let’s go
AyumiX3
Prince SableX2

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Tom Nook has a clear, stand-out trait of being a money loving business merchant
Is that one personality quirk really notable enough to build a gimmick and moveset around? Certainly the sillier fan representations would have you believe so, but Sakurai's always either represented a character how he saw them or how they were in their original series, not how the fandom pretended they were.

It allows the assembling of creating original move ideas for these characters to feel less restrictive and more playful. The least a newcomer needs is a clear theme, a distinct type of combat that has yet to be seen in Smash.
A clear theme is important in visualizing how a character will play, but you can't forget to take inspiration from the original series as well. If Tom Nook were playable and every other move was throwing money at people, would that really be a satisfactory way to communicate the feel of Animal Crossing?

All Wii Fit Trainer needed to stand out was to have a theme utilizing exercises for Sakurai to see her potential.
As far as I know, Wii Fit Trainer's moveset in its entirety is derived from her series. Certainly her moves were given a creative spin to be made to work in the context of Smash, but it wasn't Sakurai just doing whatever he wanted with the character.

The themes of merchants ... have yet to be seen as fully fleshed out fighters in Smash yet. Those themes are sufficable enough for Sakurai to work a good move-set around ... Tom Nook.
I'm not as convinced that being a merchant alone is a stellar prospect for creative moveset crafting, but perhaps Sakurai and certainly Anna fans would disagree.

Even by an off-chance that Sakurai has trouble envisioning their move-sets in the planning phase, them being more difficult to implement would not stop Sakurai, especially when he developed move-sets out of Pac-Man with his set of moves inspired by a compilation of classic Namco games and the complex Ryu with his various fighting mechanics.
Pac-Man's moves were still taken from his games, and Ryu was a mechanical marvel rather than an inspirational one.

To think that Sakurai would give up on implementing non-combatant newcomers like ... Tom Nook is greatly underestimating his length of creativity, especially with Sakurai noting the importance of seeking out newcomers beyond the obvious fighters that are clearly capable of doing combat. Those kinds of non-combatant characters is what Sakurai wants because they have stand-out characteristics that not many combat-based fighters would normally have.
Is there any evidence at all that Sakurai would care to explore Tom Nook in the first place? He's shown far more love to K.K. Slider, who as far as I can tell would be the first guitar-wielding, music-based fighter in Smash. The fact that he's carrying around an instrument gives off a much stronger impression of being a musician than Nook's sweater vest gives off an impression of being the master of all things financial.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tom Nook
Chance 15%
I think that animal crossing is fine woth the villager being the representative of the games. Would it be cool to have another rep that represent other aspects of AC...yeah, but i think isabelle is more likely, and even than i dont want her.
Want 0%
TOMas NOOKidy isnt a character i want. Nothing against him, its just that... I dont see the appeal of him(speaking as a non animal crossing person), aside from being the loan owner demon fans say he is.

Predictions
Lip- Literally all the characters i want in this game are gonna get a low score :-(..... 15%.

Noms-
Tora and Poppi x 3
Sable prince x1
Klonoa x 1

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Tom Nook
Certainly one of the more likely AC candidates, but will we get another? And would it be him over Isabelle?

Want: 8%
The character really doesn't interest me at all. It doesn't help that I don't like AC.

Nominate Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Is that one personality quirk really notable enough to build a gimmick and moveset around? Certainly the sillier fan representations would have you believe so, but Sakurai's always either represented a character how he saw them or how they were in their original series, not how the fandom pretended they were.
Is a generic fitness instructor enough? He doesn't need to be an evil businessman, a representation of capitalism is enough. His character is being an ambitious shop keeper.

A clear theme is important in visualizing how a character will play, but you can't forget to take inspiration from the original series as well. If Tom Nook were playable and every other move was throwing money at people, would that really be a satisfactory way to communicate the feel of Animal Crossing?
He can throw those leaves that turn into furniture or whatever other prop Sakurai wants. It makes more sense than a luck based uair/dair where he pulls out 1-3 turnips, or magically storing any projectile that is fired at him in his "pocket." He is more in-character to use props than Villager given he is the original owner of all the props, and there's plenty more props to be used. Not just "throwing bells at people."

As far as I know, Wii Fit Trainer's moveset in its entirety is derived from her series. Certainly her moves were given a creative spin to be made to work in the context of Smash, but it wasn't Sakurai just doing whatever he wanted with the character.
I am pretty sure the Neutral Special is just a pose you do in Wii Fit. The WFT does not randomly generate a sun as powerful as Charge Shot while doing so, nor do they randomly heal from it.

I'm not as convinced that being a merchant alone is a stellar prospect for creative moveset crafting, but perhaps Sakurai and certainly Anna fans would disagree.
And being a faceless citizen of Tom Nook's town is enough?

Pac-Man's moves were still taken from his games, and Ryu was a mechanical marvel rather than an inspirational one.
Pac man summons his mortal enemies, the ghosts, to use as props. How much more forced of a moveset can you get than that? What if Mario threw out Bowser as an attack? Aside from that, the Neutral Special is taken from games other than Pac Man's and just makes him a generic representative of his company. The Down Special hydrant is a random cliffnote prop in a Pac Man game that is way more obscure than what is being proposed for Tom Nook.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Tom Nook
Chance: 2% -
Tom is a part of the Villager's Final Smash, and as the player character, Villager will always take priority there. Beyond that, I doubt we'll ever get a second Animal Crossing character since Villager kinda covers all the bases for it already.
Want: 0% - I don't hate Nook like others do, but he'd just be retreading the same ground as Villager.

Prediction: Lip
Chance: 19.48%
Want: 53.42%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Is a generic fitness instructor enough? He doesn't need to be an evil businessman, a representation of capitalism is enough. His character is being an ambitious shop keeper.
Wii Fit Trainer represents the role of generic fitness instructor perfectly, she was more than enough. aside from adding effects to her moves to make them work in a fight, Sakurai didn't have to stretch for attacks at all. Going from strictly greed to ambitious shopkeeper is an improvement, though he then risks becoming generic enough to overlap with other characters since that archetype would be difficult to represent. First thing that comes to mind is some sort of buying/selling mechanic, but that just screams counter.

He can throw those leaves that turn into furniture or whatever other prop Sakurai wants. It makes more sense than a luck based uair/dair where he pulls out 1-3 turnips, or magically storing any projectile that is fired at him in his "pocket." He is more in-character to use props than Villager given he is the original owner of all the props, and there's plenty more props to be used. Not just "throwing bells at people."
Villager's moves are directly inspired by Animal Crossing, the random turnips perfectly represent the fluctuating turnip market and the pocket's ability to contain dangerous objects draws clear parallels to the ability to store attacking bees, tarantulas and scorpions. Tom Nook's hardly the only one with an affinity for furniture, seeing as how every villager has a strong connection to it and Cyrus goes so far as to be the only known crafter in the series, and once his nephews take over the business in New Leaf his paws are largely scrubbed clean of that business. Not to say that his moveset couldn't be filled with various props, but at that point he's no more unique than any random villager.

I am pretty sure the Neutral Special is just a pose you do in Wii Fit. The WFT does not randomly generate a sun as powerful as Charge Shot while doing so, nor do they randomly heal from it.
That's where the creative spin comes in. Sun Salutation doesn't have those effects in the original series, but all the yoga poses are 100% Wii Fit.

And being a faceless citizen of Tom Nook's town is enough?
Technically it's Tom Nook who's a citizen of the Villager's town, but I digress. Being a player avatar, Villager is shown to be proficient in using by far the greatest amount of tools out of any Animal Crossing character. Being the first fighter chosen to represent the franchise, they had unfettered access to every one of those tools without fear of being seen as a clone.

Pac man summons his mortal enemies, the ghosts, to use as props. How much more forced of a moveset can you get than that? What if Mario threw out Bowser as an attack? Aside from that, the Neutral Special is taken from games other than Pac Man's and just makes him a generic representative of his company. The Down Special hydrant is a random cliffnote prop in a Pac Man game that is way more obscure than what is being proposed for Tom Nook.
The point isn't so much that Pac-Man's moveset flows together perfectly, but that Sakurai wasn't creating moves from scratch. An avid Pac-Fan would be able to pinpoint the origin of everything used, which is important in a game based heavily on history.

Regardless of the potentially incongruous nature of Pac-Man's moveset, Sakurai still went through with it since Pac-Man was important enough to represent. Tom Nook is no Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
I uh...didn't expect the day to end that early :v I was going to give Sans 0.5% chance and 0% want. At least I agree with him being the lowest in chance minus the obvious two.

Tom Nook

Chance: 20%

With how big it is these days I genuinely believe that Animal Crossing is up there with Pokémon and Xenoblade as one of the most likely franchises to get at least one new character. I also believe that Isabelle is by far the most likely as she's pretty much taken over the role of the series mascot. He's the only other option with a feasible shot, though, so he gets the rest of my chance score for the series. I don't think we'd get more than one, but I suppose it's not entirely impossible.

Want: 70%

I know some people don't but I want another Animal Crossing character. I enjoy the series, it's more than earned it, and Villager is one of my favorite characters to use already, so the arguments people tend to use against it honestly don't mean anything to me. I would prefer Isabelle, but he'd be a good addition too, and I wouldn't really be upset if both somehow got in.

Lip prediction: 8.43%

Nominations: Rick, Coo, & Kine x5

Saving stuff from the purge

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tom Nook
Chance 15%
While I think Animal Crossing character is likely, I only think that because of how much they've specifically been pushing Isabelle. Isabelle is the reason I think we might get another Animal Crossing character. Tom Nook while important has really fallen behind her in notability. And I definitely don't think we'll get a third character. But Tom Nook is important to the franchise as a whole so it would be wrong to wright of his chances entirely.
Want 20%
I'd rather Isabelle or even KK Slider but it wouldn't really worry me that much. I'd be curious what Villagers new Final Smash would be

Nominate Lara croft x5

Prediction Lip 4.11%

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Tom Nook

Chance: 25%
I don't think there's gonna be a second AC character. But if there is, it'll either be him or Isabelle, and there are good arguments for both.

Want: 25%
I never really cared too much about Nook. If there was another AC rep, I'd want Resetti.

Nominations:
Viewtiful Joe x5

NNID
Majorasmask66
Tom Nook

Chance: 12%
I dont think they are gonna add another Animal Crossing character unless we get another animal crossing announced and maybe he can be dlc then. If they do however add another Animal Crossing rep, he seems like a likley choice.

Want: 35%
I think he could be fun... and greedy.

Nominations: Wonder Red x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tom Nook

Chance: 25%

Now he's an interesting one. He's been one of the most central characters of Animal Crossing since the beginning so that makes him a higher priority character than most of the other Animal Crossing characters. And Animal Crossing is a popular series. That said though the concern I mostly have is moveset potential and how an Animal Crossing newcomer will have to stand out. I just feel like that if we're going for the SSB4 newcomer route again with unique quirks, that neither Isabelle or Tom Nook will stand out compared to other newcomers. Villager got the Animal Crossing Items to make him unique and I feel the bar will have to be higher for a 2nd newcomer.

That said though I do like Tom Nook but I don't really want him in Smash.

Lip Prediction: 11.55%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I would rather be rating more specific historical character choices. A historical surprise newcomer getting in the game is going to happen IMO, the specific choices is where rating will be more interesting.
I'm most interested in seeing whether the boards recognize a historical charcter as something to include. I know my own position, but I want to see other users' opinions.

Now, hold on. To call Pac-man's moveset forced is extremely disingenuous. Allow me to quote myself.

As a Pac-Man main, I can tell you with certainty that he was designed to be a character that plays exactly like his games. It's not a stretch.

He uses the layout of the arena to manipulate his opponents while simultaneously staying as far away from them as possible. That's his gameplan in Smash, and it's also his gameplan in his arcade game. He uses the layout of the maze to manipulate the AI of the ghosts so he can stay safe while eating the pellets.

Even his fruit charge reflects this, as you have to have enough time to go for the charge to get any given fruit, which becomes harder the higher you charge. This is exactly like how you need to carefully plan your way into a situation where you can grab the fruit for extra points without dying in Pac-Man, which is also harder for higher leveled fruit.
Further, Pac-Man is no stranger to manipulating Ghosts - not only can it be argued that his first game revolves around AI manipulation, but he's also shown to be straight up friends with them for certain games (see: Pac-Man World 3, Ghostly Adventures)

The hydrant, while an odd choice at first glance, was chosen specifically to allow Pac-Man to be a character that affects the decisions of his opponents. Being able to attack it leads to aggressive players letting their guard down and attacking it instead of you. Passive players who let it remain out are either forced to change their approach due to water or because of it being launched.

It's not an exaggeration to say that Pac-Man's hydrant is what brings his kit together. That's why he has it.

And please note that the only things Pac-Man uses that are not from his own games are the trampoline (which he borrows from Mappy, a character he has crossed paths wth before), hos grab, and taunts. Everything else is taken from various games, including subtle references like his jab, up-air, and down-tilt.

Pac-Man is extremely true to his own games, and he isn't a good example for what you're trying to articulate.

Last edited:

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Tom Nook

Chance: 7.5%

Iconic to his franchise, but faces heavy competition from Isabelle. And that's if we're even getting another AC newcomer. Sorry, you can give me an entire essay on how each potential AC newcomers could work in Smash along with their whole moveset and I probably still would find it stretching.

Want: 10%

Not interested, Villager is enough for me.

Predictions for Lip: 5.88%

Nominations: Leon Kennedy x4 Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voices x1

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tom Nook

He's up there, but sadly edged out by the Blonde Dog Waifu Menace.

I would rather take the OC face of Animal Crossing. Give me all the bells and greed.

Prediction for Lip: 11%

Nomination: Ayumi Tachibana x5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I was referring to the bell and galaxian ship with props in the Neutral Special from other games. I don't care if Galaga appeared in a game alongside Pac Man at some point, all I think of when I see it is Galaga and that's what most people will. I am aware that Pac Man becomes friends with the ghosts, but those are very unpopular and heavily panned games. Pac Man would be nothing without the classics who made him who he is, that's where he got the money to fund his many other "experimental" ventures.

The most compelling argument you made that I hadn't heard before was about manipulating the AI of the ghosts, which actually is a fair point. I just have a distaste whenever I see a set from Mugen or whatever that spams other character from the main fighter's series as attacks, representing everything through one character. Obviously it's not quite that bad, but that's the vibe I personally get from it.

On topic with Tom Nook, I am surprised so many people believe in his fan depiction as a greedy "villain", I thought I was alone in that. I guess it's pretty hard to see him as anything else. Animal Crossing badly needs a character like the fan depiction of Nook. Makes a lot more sense than branding Villager as a psycho.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Tom Nook
Chance - 20%
Animal Crossing could be popular enough to warrant another rep. There is however some doubts that on it receiving another in the viewpoint of Villager covering the ground pretty well on his/her own. There's also Isabelle.
Want - 50%
He's cute. I never played the series though, so it's hard for me to get excited for anyone from there especially with them being from a more laid back type of game.

Nominations
5x Pikmin Newxomer

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I was referring to the bell and galaxian ship with props in the Neutral Special from other games. I don't care if Galaga appeared in a game alongside Pac Man at some point, all I think of when I see it is Galaga and that's what most people will.
Those fruit are literally in the original Pac-Man arcade game, dude. Namco's arcade games have referenced each other since they first started. It's taken from Pac-Man, which itself branched out to other series.
I am aware that Pac Man becomes friends with the ghosts, but those are very unpopular and heavily panned games. Pac Man would be nothing without the classics who made him who he is, that's where he got the money to fund his many other "experimental" ventures.
I don't deny that the games weren't received well critically, but I wanted to mention the fact that it happens sometimes regardless.

The most compelling argument you made that I hadn't heard before was about manipulating the AI of the ghosts, which actually is a fair point. I just have a distaste whenever I see a set from Mugen or whatever that spams other character from the main fighter's series as attacks, representing everything through one character. Obviously it's not quite that bad, but that's the vibe I personally get from it.
Well, as weird as it may come across to you, it's still more in character than Tom Nook suddenly getting the personality of Redd.

Sakurai has consistently shown that he's willing to give characters abilities that are bizarre, not their own, or new entirely. (See: Ness using PK Fire and whatnot, Robin using dark magic as a tactition, Captain Falcon's entire moveset)

However, he does not ever corrupt the personality of the characters he's working with. He wants them to control, look, and act the same way in Smash as they do in their home games. He wouldn't reinforce the idea of Nook being a shrewd, greedy character that has mistakenly spread in the community - he would want to portray Nook at the kind, hardworking businessman he is.

This isn't to say that Nook has nothing to pull from, mind, but he's got to keep his personality intact when he fights.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
tom nook

chances: 20% i dont think were gonna get a second animal crossing fighter and his prominence in series has been overtaken by isablle

want: 50% ah itd be fun

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Tom Nook:

I get that Animal Crossing is important enough to get two newcomers this time around and if there's a series that does get the douple dipper treatment, it could very likely be Animal Crossing, even without resorting to clones.
I also get that Animal Crossing has enough source material to pull from for two newcomers.
That said, the spot for second Animal Crossing newcomer could just as easily go to either Mr Resetti, whose weapon of choice, body type, personality, mechanics would be easier to imagine, or to KK Slider.
Nothing about Tom Nook specifically feels to me like he *has* to be in next to Isabelle other than rewarding Animal Crossing for being a good boy with more representatives and even then the renaissance of the Crossing was in an era where he took a backseat.
The moveset provided is fun, but not urgent to include in the game in my opinion and unlike a double dip with Elma and PyRex, Dixie and K. Rool, two Alola Pokémon or even both Captain Toad and Paper Mario, Tom is a character whose credentials rely on his series' succes and design rather than his own.

Want: 60%
I like the little man. His design is cool and I wonder how his personality would be portrayed in Smash.

Balloon Fighter x5

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Tom Nook

Chance: 10% - He's definitely the runner-up candidate for a new Animal Crossing character after Isabelle. However, I just don't see it. Isabelle has become the face of Animal Crossing, and has even crossed over into other games like Mario Kart. Tom Nook, while still in Animal Crossing, has not had a major role as of late. That, and I feel that the best we'll see out of Tom Nook is his appearance in Villager's Final Smash.

Want: 50% - I wouldn't mind Tom Nook. He's a memorable character, he has the moveset potential, and I think he'd really fit in Smash. I also want Isabelle, and although I wouldn't really complain to see them both, I personally feel that Isabelle has more to offer.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x5

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Tom Nook
I don't think we will get another Animal Crossing rep. I feel what we have right now in Villager is perfect for the series. Not to mention it would be hard to come up with a moveset for Tom Nook that would be diffrent from the Villager (not to mention Villager had to pull movies form ballon fighter instead of his own game). The only way I could see him being added is in a clone role of the Villager but I don't think it will happen

chance 5%

want
He is cool and all as a final smash. Just don't think we need him in Smash.

predicting Lip at 12.3%

nominating labo guy x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Tom Nook

Tom Nook's spotlight ia being pulled away. He's still a memorable and iconic character, but he's not as important to the series as he used to be.

It'd be worth it just for the nostalgia in my opinion.

Nominations:
9-Volt x5

:171:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Tom Nook

chances: 3%
I feel like his chances are hampered for multiple reasons. For one, he's already part of Villager's final smash, though I guess Palutena proved that it isn't impossible. Another reason being: He doesn't really have any moveset potential over a clone of Villager, which COULD happen, but I feel like Isabelle has him beat purely by a landslide of popularity, which brings me to my final point, Isabelle is just more popular and desired. If AC gets any new rep, it's going to be her.

Want: 10%
I've never really cared that much about the AC series, however, I've always like the character designs, so I wouldn't be opposed to another AC character addition, and Tom Nook would be my first choice, but I don't think I like them enough to really go out of my way to campaign for them like I would for Louie, Marx, or Fawful.

Nominations: Louie x5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Tom Nook
Chances: 20%
Want: 75%

If Animal Crossing gets a 2nd rep Isabelle will probably be chosen due to her more recent popularity surge. I would not mind see Nook make it in though.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Roberk

Smash Champion
Tom Nook
Yes, Animal Crossing is a big franchise, but would that alone justify more than one newcomer? I can’t see Tom Nook getting in over Isabelle in the current context of Animal Crossing as a franchise, he’s old news.

In retrospect this may be a bit harsh, but honestly, I have literally no desire to see Tom Nook in Smash as a playable fighter. No nostalgia or easily realizable gameplay potential. I don’t think Animal Crossing has much to offer in terms of moveset potential, they already struggled with making Villager’s moveset. AC reps fall into that category of characters that people want but would be hard to implement in Smash, with fans grasping at personalities to create movesets. Sure, Sakurai can make pretty much any character a moveset, but that doesn’t mean he should. Less time needed to put into a character means more content, while characters who have to have most of their movesets made up for Smash are more of a liability in terms of development resources.

Tom Nook can be a playable fighter, but a made-up moveset can never be as safisfying as characters who simply translate better into Smash.

Lip Prediction: 10.5%

Noms: Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x10

D

Deleted member

Tom Nook

Take what I said for Isabelle and you'll get what I think of Tom Nook essentially.
The only difference is that Tom Nook isn't a shih-tzu.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Lip prediction: 7.13%

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I suppose that it is fair that I clarify more on the the move-set matter. A huge, central part of Animal Crossing's gameplay is upgrading. With New Leaf specifically, you begin living in a tent for a home:

When you get the bells needed over the course of time and do Tom Nook's deeds, you are rewarded with a brand new house:

From there, you are able to upgrade tools and other shops that expand on what the player can do when spend the time and bells to help others. It is a great and very addicting part of Animal Crossing that gets players coming back to AC every day, maintaining the game's immensely high replayability. Tom Nook would represent the upgrading gameplay aspect of Animal Crossing greatly because of his fond love of bells and how that connects to upgrading. He is still a big part of upgrading, especially with homes in particular. Homes have become a such central aspect of Animal Crossing that Nintendo made a spinoff surrounding on designing homes for animal villagers, of which Tom Nook still runs:

The satisfying feeling of upgrading in AC would translate well into an interesting move-set for Tom Nook. It is the type of gameplay that Villager has yet to cover in Smash. The Villager covers a variety of tools such as the shovel, slingshot, and gyroids, balloons, fireworks and others, but not really the upgrading part of Animal Crossing. This part of Animal Crossing would provide enough inspiration for Sakurai to create a move-set out of Tom Nook from scratch, taking inspiration from the upgrading gameplay aspect. Maybe the more you hit the opponent in battle, the more money you gain for upgrades, allowing for a play-style that rewards skillful gameplay.

This is why I continue see Tom Nook as a stand-out character Sakurai would choose for Smash Switch.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Tom Nook Chance: 5%
Big franchise or not, I absolutely cannot see Sakurai diving into this franchise again. Not when it lacks characters made for combat/ isn't a combat oriented series. Yeah, one doesn't necessarily "need" to be combat ready to join Smash, but it clearly helps a lot, and there's only so much one can do with a franchise like Animal Crossing. It doesn't exactly help that neither Tom nor Isabelle are requested much. The only way I see them getting in is if one ends up being a last minute clone/ semi-clone of Villager.

Want: 50%
... That being said Tom COULD be interesting I suppose. The upgrading idea does sound kinda neat.

Lip Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Rex/ Pyra (rerate) X5

:094:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Tom Nook
Chances: 10%

As popular as it is, I just can't really see AC getting another rep since Villager basically does everything an AC character can do. And even if it did I don't think Tom Nook stands a chance against Isabelle. He' most likley gonna stay as Villagers Final Smash.

My AC experience begins and ends with the what was probably 15 to 30 minutes I put into Pocket Camp before deleting it. Just not my cup of tea, and I personally think AC is fine with Villager, maybe Isabelle can be added as a semi clone. Tom Nook I have no interest in at all.
Nominations:
Primarina x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom