• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Mike Jones

chance 5%
never say never but yeah not likely

want 10%
don't care for him but a old series revial would be cool

nomination
funkey kong x3
spyro x2

predict belmont at 7.7%

slambros

Smash Ace
Mike Jones

Chance: 5%
It's a long shot, as his game was never released in Japan, but he's been considered before. He'd make a good 'retro' rep if they want to go for one.

Want: 75%
He'd have a cool moveset.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x5

:171:

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
Mike Jones

Want - 100%
Chance - 20%

He has a low chance, but I have hope because Nintendo didn't forget about the series. They included StarTropics in the North American NES Classic.

Also, consider that Little Mac made it in as a playable character in Smash 4 (he was an assist trophy in Brawl). Punch Out is far more popular in the West than in Japan, but Mac got in anyway. I have faith that StarTropics will get some representation this time, as it's a part of Nintendo's history.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Mike Jones
Chance: 0% - I consider StarTropics failure to be localized in Japan to be a lethal hit on any chance of having Mike Jones being playable.
Want: 0% - No thanks, I'm not big on earwax flavored Bananas.

Simon Belmont prediction: 13%

Nominations: Azura x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
User was warned for this post
Don't ignore this pls
Your deep seeded hatred for Mimikyu based on a unsavory interaction with a supporter is reaching a rather questionable state. Mimikyu, whether it gets in or not, has nothing to do with the poster as the character was never designed in the manner of action the poster acted. You are taking your dislike of the person overboard to direct it at the character instead. Which I guess is fine to a degree, but I hope you realize this attitude will turn people off of Decidueye in the same manner you got turned off Mimikyu as people will link the Pokemon to "that really angry and extreme" fan as you are doing to Mimikyu. AKA you're just breeding the "bad fan" motif the Smash fandom is known for and has already stapled onto other characters like Daisy and Krystal.

Which at least for Krystal, some of her official artwork is obviously feeding into the sex crazed furry label that her fans have find themselves automatically accused of. Meanwhile Mimikyu, Decidueye, and Daisy are more innocent at least.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...talseat.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080824092555

or

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...est?cb=20110806020455&path-prefix=protagonist

But overall, I'm just saying you're turning me off of Decidueye and his fan base as you continue to act like Mimikyu stole your bike and married your wife.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Alex Mike Jones

Chance: 0%
Not much to say that hasn't already been said by countless others. Western exclusivity, an unrepped and long dead series, and general obscurity all come together to render this chap's chances dead in the water.

Want: Abstain
I don't usually abstain from these things as I see it as kind of a pointless gesture (why post at all if you aren't going to contribute anything?), but in this case, I honestly know so little about the guy that I can't even have an opinion on him. He's honestly the type of character I'd stop and go "umm, what?" at his reveal, and then quickly dismiss.

Simon Belmont Prediction: 18.18%

Nominating Tingle x5

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Mike Jones

I simply do nyot see it happening ever nya. Western exclusive, dead franchise, and faces competition from nyalot of other NES classic characters nya.

Want: 0%
Never played StarTropics, doesn't interest me in the slightest, and I'd just greatly prefer several other NES classic characters nya.

Nyominations
Mimikyu: x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Your deep seeded hatred for Mimikyu based on a unsavory interaction with a supporter is reaching a rather questionable state. Mimikyu, whether it gets in or not, has nothing to do with the poster as the character was never designed in the manner of action the poster acted. You are taking your dislike of the person overboard to direct it at the character instead. Which I guess is fine to a degree, but I hope you realize this attitude will turn people off of Decidueye in the same manner you got turned off Mimikyu as people will link the Pokemon to "that really angry and extreme" fan as you are doing to Mimikyu. AKA you're just breeding the "bad fan" motif the Smash fandom is known for and has already stapled onto other characters like Daisy and Krystal.

Which at least for Krystal, some of her official artwork is obviously feeding into the sex crazed furry label that her fans have find themselves automatically accused of. Meanwhile Mimikyu, Decidueye, and Daisy are more innocent at least.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...talseat.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080824092555

or

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net...est?cb=20110806020455&path-prefix=protagonist

But overall, I'm just saying you're turning me off of Decidueye and his fan base as you continue to act like Mimikyu stole your bike and married your wife.
I am very confused as to why you're bringing this up. All I was saying is that I wanted someone to tell me when it's Mimikyu's day.
And I really don't see how I'm acting like that at all...
This post is ad hominem territory, and I'd appriciate it if you didn't speak for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Let’s get back on topic, shall we? You are free to carry this on in private messages but continuing this here just disrupts the thread.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Mike Jones

I don't know much about this game and character but I do know its a retro and every iteration of smash brings one back. But that's saying very very little about star tropics.

Want: abstained
I don't know how he played in his game so I can't really have an actual say in this.

Nomination Django x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Taller Thinner American Ness

Chance: 1%

This was a thing?

Star Tropics is about as obscure as you can get. A dead and buried series from the NES era which was never given a Japanese release? Why does this deserve Smash representation? There are loads of first party characters who are WAY more important to Nintendo history and marketing than some obscure generic dude from over 20 years ago. I get that retros are fun, but does Smash need a bunch of characters that nobody recognizes?

A lot of people are bringing up Takamaru since he was never released in the States. Let me get this straight: we should add in a bunch of obscure retros that half the fanbase will have no knowledge of because... we need some ancient series rebooted and some character with minimal art and personality is the best vehicle for that? Shouldn’t Smash be a ceebration of characters people like, and not a way to rub obscure characters in our faces. That mentality from Brawl permanently turned me off of Kid Icarus, and I’d be happy never to see that featherhead or his series again.

Besides, if we wanted a “Western” relresentative, it makes more sense to select a character that is loved in the west, who has major importance in games, but doesn’t have much of a fanbase in the East. Not necessarily some character nobody knows because the game slipped under the radar ages ago. And we do have a “Western” rep already - Little Mac was added for that exact reason.

I saw the moveset’s in Mike’s thread, and all I could see every one was “Ness does that.” So he’s got generic potential, generic looks, and even a generic name.

Obscure + Generic + Dead = absolutely not. I can think of thousands of characters I’d rather have in Smash, and making this guy would only be a waste of dev time.

Prediction for Belmont: 17.7%
Nomination: Skyrim stuff x5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Mike Jones
I think, and probably Sakurai would agree, there's better choices for obscure retro characters.

See above

Simon Belmont: 20.5%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Mike Jones

American-only when the only characters from any country-exclusive game to get into Smash are Marth, Lucas, and Roy, Sakurai's preference for working with Japanese creators (likely due to it streamlining the communication process), and competition from plenty of other retro reps. He is sooo not getting in any time soon.

Never played StarTropics, nor did I even hear about it until I saw people nominating him.

Prediction:
Simon Belmont: 23.89%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x5

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
12th place overall? I can live with that; I think that percentage is actually higher than what Robin got last time, and we saw how that turned out. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised by how few outright dismissive ratings there were.

I'll abstain for today. Got to work on my next video more, but I'll pop in every now and then if I feel like I have something worth saying.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Lycanroc
Chances: 40%
Want: 10%

Mike Jones
Chances: 20%
Want: 5%

No interest in either franchise plus i feel there are better new pokemon and retro reps to pick from

Nomination: Linkle X5

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Want: 100%

StarTropics is one of the greatest NES games and the series deserves a lot more than it got.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Mike Jones
Chance: 0.5%

West only. Obscure. Less known than Takamaru and Sakurai felt he was too obscure last time.

Want: 30%
When I think retro Nintendo characters, Mike doesn't really register. I don't think I ever played Startropics as a kid, but I recall Duck Hunt, Balloon Fight, Kid Icarus(hey it was for the longest time) and even though I wasn't a fan; Ice Climbers. Could be fun to see him getting recognised by Sakurai but I just can't feel like he'd get me terribly excited having watched some gameplay.

Simon Belmont Prediction: 39%

Nominations:
Meowth X 5

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
I feel like we need to establish what these percentages actually mean, because Mike Jones is getting way too many double zeroes for a first-party protagonist.

A 0% Chance and Want score implies that there is literally nobody you consider less likely nor less desired. Mike, at the very least, has some appeal and some justification for being in Smash.

You can argue that the Want score is an entirely subjective ranking, and maybe you'd be justified in giving him a 0% if a Mike Jones supporter bludgeoned your dog to death with your Gamecube controller while chanting an ode to StarTropics II: Zeno's Revenge. But if you give him a 0% Chance, you quite frankly do not know what you're talking about.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I feel like we need to establish what these percentages actually mean, because Mike Jones is getting way too many double zeroes for a first-party protagonist.

A 0% Chance and Want score implies that there is literally nobody you consider less likely nor less desired. Mike, at the very least, has some appeal and some justification for being in Smash.

You can argue that the Want score is an entirely subjective ranking, and maybe you'd be justified in giving him a 0% if a Mike Jones supporter bludgeoned your dog to death with your Gamecube controller while chanting an ode to StarTropics II: Zeno's Revenge. But if you give him a 0% Chance, you quite frankly do not know what you're talking about.

As much as I would love to implement a general requirement for rating a character, I do not think that is feasible for a couple of reasons.

1. People tend to view want as ent irely subjective. Some use a 0% to show no interest. Some show a 50% to show no interest. Some, like Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā' implement theirown little spin, in their case it is a penalty towards dev time being spent on them instead of their favored picks (which i am guessing is Neku and a real ganondorf). Want is entirely subjective. Just make sure your rating is clear and its all good in my book.

2. It is just a game. I have to detach myself emotionally in some cases to not get too into the arguements and debates. Sometimes, such as with Daisy or Lycanroc, my opinion can be shifted a bit based on strong arguements. Sometimes it might get more bitter based on arguements. I know that several people are going to come in on Spyro (full disclosure, my most wanted character by far for those that do not know) and give double zeros and then post their noms and leave. But unless there is overwhelming demand for there to be more discussion, I am not going to overreach and make there be a rule for that.

Finally let me just say that yesterday was a great day. I love seeing long posts in this thread. @BluePikmin11 has consistently made great posts and if they posted scores I would hold them up as a model post for the thread. Other users such as @Troykv and Delzethin Delzethin and others have made great posts. If I did not mention your name do not worry, any post with a paragraph of reason to their vote is a great post in my opinion. I hope that in the future we get more great days about public debate. Looking at the upcoming schedule I think that Funky Kong, Sans, Spyro, and Mimikyu will be very interesting days.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I hope that in the future we get more great days about public debate. Looking at the upcoming schedule I think that Funky Kong, Sans, Spyro, and Mimikyu will be very interesting days.
The problem is most people aren't really interested in discussing the characters, they just post and go until a character they actually care about comes along. I mean that's totally fine but it really isn't fostering much discussion when it seems a majority of posters don't even read other people's posts in this thread. I wish more people actively wanted to discuss instead of this just being a popularity contest.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Missed Lycanroc's day. Shame as there was a lot to discuss there.

Mike Jones:

A very rare zero from me. If Sakurai has doubts over including a Japan-exclusive character, then a western one he probably never heard of won't make the cut. Keep in mind the only western character we have is Diddy Kong, and that's because he is closely associated to a Japanese owned franchise.

He also does not have the support of other characters that the west love and want in Smash. Little Mac who was carried by western support is at least somewhat known in Japan had decent demand to justify his inclusion.

It's not happening.

Indifferent.

Belmont prediction: 24.3%
Predicting a slightly higher score than Bomberman but not a massive difference.

Nominate Lara Croft x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
The problem is most people aren't really interested in discussing the characters, they just post and go until a character they actually care about comes along. I mean that's totally fine but it really isn't fostering much discussion when it seems a majority of posters don't even read other people's posts in this thread.
I know. I get nettled when someone posts after I end the day because it tells me that they do not even read the damn thread. I want this thread to have more discussion. Some of my favorite days were Daisy, Sora, and Lycanroc due to the relatively high amounts of discussion. I want this thread to have more discussion. I know on some days like Blue Bowser there is not much to discuss, but sometimes it is best for there to be discussion. For example, people might give Mike Jones, a character who has never appeared in Japan and whose greatest claim to fame is being on the NES mini rn, is more likely than Henry Flemming or Tethu. For the record, I actually do not support either of those two, which can be seen with my ranking. This is not attacking anyone, but posting a few lines of text that explain why your score is the way it is would go a long way.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Double zeroes for this dude for the reasons mentioned. Never released in Japan and very little support.

Simon Belmont Prediction: 15.79%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Roberk

Smash Champion
Mike Jones

Eh, I'll give him 1%, he is a first-party retro rep so he's definitely possible, but that's it. I've already been convinced that Takamaru would be the most likely and best retro rep. Takamaru has been in both Japan and the West now and was only cut out for region-exclusivity, it's very probable that he is the most likely software retro rep at least. Also, Mike Jones has literally no presence in Japan, and it's not like he has a huge West presence to offset this. He's in a much worse situation than Takamaru pre-localization, Takamaru was recognized by the developers while Mike Jones likely wouldn't be. There are no real huge factors of popularity, relevance, moveset potential, or significance for Mike, he's just kind of there. I wouldn't be surprised if he is skipped over when retro reps make the jump to SNES.

Want: 60%
I don't really care either way, but I'll give him some credit because he seems neat. While Little Mac did accomplish this in Smash 4 with his West>East split, I'm still open to some characters pandering to good ol' Murica. His game his obviously based on Modern Western culture and aesthetic. Ness and Lucas are "boys", but they are weirdly proportioned and have PSi powers. Mike Jones looks cool in the sense that he would be a regular American boy fighting it out amongst all of these other outlandish characters. I get that people like how unrealistic the character designs are and how crazy it could get, but some realism can make that fantasy even more amazing. Little Mac kind of does this as well, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have more of it.

Also, I like having characters that are obscure/I know almost nothing about. It makes Smash interesting as a means of discovery as opposed to a marketing campaign for all of the things I already know about. Maybe a Smash inclusion would get his series revived, I'm always open to reviving things.

Belmont Prediction: 20%
This word will probably be in every detailed rating tomorrow: Konami

Noms: Lara Croft x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Ouch. Didn't expert this many zeros for a Nintendo protagonist. Anyway,
Mike Jones
Chance 5%
We already have 2 EarthBound characters. But seriously, his chances are still pretty low for some of the reasons already posted. I won't completely dismiss him, though.
Want: 80%
Out of all the retro choices, he seems like he'd have the best moveset.

Simon Belmont prediction: 14%
Noms: New Donk City x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
There are no real huge factors of popularity, relevance, moveset potential, or significance for Mike
You definitely haven’t played StarTropics if you think Mike doesn’t have moveset potential. As a Zelda-esque game, he has a lot of tools and weapons at his disposal.

Roberk

Smash Champion
You definitely haven’t played StarTropics if you think Mike doesn’t have moveset potential. As a Zelda-esque game, he has a lot of tools and weapons at his disposal.
Yeah, I guess so, I just meant not huge moveset potential. A lot of newcomers these days have extremely unique and out of the box (sometimes gimmicky) movesets. Puppeteer Rosalina, realistic boxer Little Mac, breakable weapons Robin... Mike Jones seems to be working with everyday stuff to me. Not saying that's not likable, I actually gave him a relatively high Want because he seemed like an average joe. However, in the context of Chance: the growing standards of movesets sets a high bar for Mike to be included mostly because of a moveset offsetting his glaring negatives. He'd definitely be a playable fighter but not "whoa!" enough to justify an inclusion these days.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
No one should have to worry about movesets at this point. Anybody can be made into a creative and unique fighter. Anybody. As if things like R.O.B. or Duck Hunt weren't proof enough. Also how is Little Mac being a boxer unique? What made him unique was the K.O. meter and his terrible air game/ excellent ground game. Something no one predicted. Anyway...

Mike Jones
Chance: 0.1%
The only thing that has less of a chance than a Japan exclusive is an American one.
Want: 15%
He could be fun and it would expose more people to his series. Maybe even get his games localized in Japan. There's lots of benefits for a character like this being in Smash.

Predictions for Belmont
Chance: 40%
Want: 50%

Nominations
Barbara the Bat ×5

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Funky Kong x267
Spyro x263
KOS-MOS x258
Mimikyu x251
Sans x238
Azura x234
Agumon x231

Over 200:

Urban Champion x225
Dark Samus x219
Travis Touchdown x219
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x218
Mipha x218
Sylux x213
Tom Nook x213
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x210
Masked Link x206
Pyra/Mythra x202

199-150

Gengar x191
Kamek x188
Concept: Skyrim representation x180
Lip x176
Parabo & Satebo x174
Cranky Kong x173
Wonder Red x166
Excitebiker x159
Concept: Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x157
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x150

149-100

Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x145
Ryu Hayabusa x140
Linkle x135
Lloyd Irving x135
Neku Sakaruba x134
Papyrus x133
Thwomp x125
Sable Prince x121
Sakura Shinguji x118
Katrielle Layton x117
Tingle x116
Tsubasa Oribe x115
Concept: Masked Dedede Final Smash x115
Tetra x112
Fawful x111
Octoling x110
Steve x105

99-75

Slippy Toad x95
2B x91
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x90
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Susie x86
Scorpion x86
Django x85
Barbara x80
Fjorm x75
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Klonoa x71
Labo related character x68
Lara Croft x68
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x65
Arcade Bunny x64
Ray x63
DeMille x63
Zeraora (Pokémon) x62
Starfy x62
Returning game mode: Smash Run x60
Stage: New Donk City x60
Primarina x55
Veteran: Corrin x55
Gooey x52
Balloon Fighter x52
Veteran: Roy x51
Veteran: Dr. Mario x51
Tora & Poppi x50
Leon Kennedy x50

49-30:

Toon Zelda x49
Rick/Coo/Kine x45
Tails x45
Concept: Wars character x43
Slime x39
Dragonite x37
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x35
Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x35
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x34
Viridi x33
Doshin the Giant x32
Veteran: Bayonetta x32
9-Volt x31
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x30
[Rerate] King K. Rool x30
Concept: Monster Hunter character x30
Snorlax x29
Leo (FE Fates) x28
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x28
Concept: Indie Character x28
Mach Rider x28
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa (Kid Icarus) x 26
Ghirahim x26
Tiki x26
Endou Mamoru x26
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x25
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x25
Concept: Style Savvy Character x25
Ayumi Tachibana x25
Concept: Transformation characters x25
Concept: Female Announcer x25
Louie x25

24 and less:

Breidablik Item x20
Concept: No Mega Evolutions x17
T-Rex x15
[Rerate] Rex & Pyra x15
Yu Narakumi x15
Concept: Battlefield Stages x10
Joker x10
Solaire x10
Concept: Multiple Voice Acting Options x10
Nikki x10
Alex Kidd x5
[Rerate] Daisy x5
Shadow x5
Lark x5
Saber x5
Orbulon x5
Zangoose x5
Kumatora x5
Concept: Pac Man World-based Moveset x5
Concept: Boss Battles x5
Meowth x5
Blastoise x5
Masked Man x3
Black Mage x3
[Rerate] Squirtle x2
Stage: Metal Caverns x2

Changes:

Where do I even begin? Just look at it. It's all over the place!
Spyro goes up to 2nd within striking distance of Funky Kong.
Mimikyu jumps all the way up to 4th.
Azura is adamant to stay 6th forever, again leapfrogging this time it is Agumon.
Tom Nook and Pyra/Mythra break 200 noms
Wonder Red, Decloned Ganondorf, FE Heroes Summoner, and Excitebiker break 150 noms
Steve breaks 100 noms
Scorpion, Django, and FE Spear User break 75 noms
DeMille, Corrin, Leon Kennedy, Primarina, and Tora & Poppi break 50 noms
King K. Rool, Monster Hunter, Louie, and Female Announcer break 25 noms
New additions: Nikki from Swapnote (x10), Meowth, Blastoise (both x5), as well as a Fire Emblem item (x20!) that I can't type.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
No one should have to worry about movesets at this point. Anybody can be made into a creative and unique fighter. Anybody. As if things like R.O.B. or Duck Hunt weren't proof enough. Also how is Little Mac being a boxer unique? What made him unique was the K.O. meter and his terrible air game/ excellent ground game. Something no one predicted. Anyway...
There's no doubt that most all newcomers can be great. The point is that some characters have movesets inherently more unique and innovative than anybody else. A moveset that is much more realizable immediately to the developers makes it easier for a character to be added in. A big reason for Robin being added was because Sakurai could "see him dancing in his head", he had an instantly realizable moveset that made Sakurai go "we should put this in." Meanwhile, characters like Villager and Pac-Man took a lot more creativity as Villager at first "wasn't a fighter" and Pac-Man was "just some circle with a mouth" to Sakurai upon first impression. That's why these characters took a few games to make it in, their chances were diminished by little instantly recognizable moveset potential. Moveset potential does play a role in the objectivity of chances and should be considered. While Mike Jones is definitely better of than Villager and Pac-Man in the implementable moveset sense, he still has a long way to go to meet an obvious standard newcomer moveset.

Little Mac was innovative because he was designed to specifically be super-realistic to real-life boxing techniques. Always keeping his fists above his waist, using body torque, and having a great ground game/terrible air game perfectly embodies what he was supposed to be: a boxer. Little Mac was always a boxer and Sakurai could just look at him and think "just have him as a boxer in Smash." Like what I said before, his moveset and purpose were instantly realizable and that likely played an important role in his inclusion. Mike Jones is notable for using a Yo-Yo, which is also iconic to Ness... He's also noted for having a Legend of Zelda like assortment of items which is already embodied by, well, items. And Link himself. Mike just doesn't have a moveset potential that screams "wow that's really unique, we gotta have that in Smash", to offset his popularity, relevance, and recognizability negatives for an inclusion. That's what I'm trying to get at, the moveset potential isn't bad, it's just not great enough to justify his inclusion as a whole.

Last edited:

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Mike Jones Chance:
5%

Definitely one of the realizable characters with the lowest score. He doesn't have much going for him, and has much more going against him than for. Being a region exclusive, which Sakurai has strayed away from after Marth and Roy, and being pretty unknown within that region. The only thing that is going for him his moveset potential. The trend of getting a retro character will probably continue, so he may be in the running if Sakurai wants to look at more obscure series'. There is a lot of competition within retro characters, but since it isn't a specific franchise, there wouldn't be any problem with adding 2 to 3 new retro reps. He is still very unlikely, but retro picks are never very likely in the first place.

Mike Jones Want:
50%

I think he has a lot of moveset potential and I like when new franchises get characters in Smash.

Simon Belmont Prediction:
27.94%

Nominations:
Sylux x5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
No one should have to worry about movesets at this point. Anybody can be made into a creative and unique fighter. Anybody. As if things like R.O.B. or Duck Hunt weren't proof enough.
While this is true to an extent, I feel the speculation community at large is taking this idea a bit too far, assuming that just because Sakurai went back on his word and gave Villager a unique moveset, it can happen for literally anyone and anything. Just because the man "can make any character work" doesn't mean that he should; if that logic were universally applied, we might have such icons as the Nintendo Gamecube fighting in Smash. This is the main problem I have with the idea of adding characters who are completely lacking in unique moves or even basic abilities like Captain Toad, or with Rosalina in her current state; they have to be intentionally misrepresented to a gross degree in order to be shoehorned into the game for the sake of so-called "relevancy" or whatever. Taking a few creative liberties for the sake of adding a character who's not necessarily combat-oriented is fine - we've seen that countless times - as long as their moveset's still at least somewhat based in that character's (or that character's series in the case of solo reps like Villager and Game & Watch) unique abilities and attributes, but if we have entire movesets being pulled out of asses, then we'll have a problem.

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Do you have a source for that?
It was a YouTube video, one of those top ten most wanted characters lists, that I watched in 2011, which said that he was considered for Brawl. I don't remember which one though. It's totally understandable if you want to take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
Mike Jones! Who? Mike Jones!

Chance: 10% - when getting more obscure characters of Mike's kind, Smash tends to go and get Japanese-centric characters (Lucas, Marth, considered Takamaru). Mike hasn't even been released in Japan :/

Want: 100% - Startropics deserves a Kid Icarus-like reimagination and Mike has such moveset potential

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Mike Jones:

Who is he? Idk. He looks like the guy from Sheez's youtube channel.

Being generous but he is from an obscure game that isn't even mentioned that. He's not gonna be in Smash.

I have no connection with him and would rather not him in Smash as a playable character.

Nominations:
x5 Monster Hunter

EDIT: I forgot to include this and didn't want to double post.
I know. I get nettled when someone posts after I end the day because it tells me that they do not even read the damn thread. I want this thread to have more discussion. Some of my favorite days were Daisy, Sora, and Lycanroc due to the relatively high amounts of discussion. I want this thread to have more discussion. I know on some days like Blue Bowser there is not much to discuss, but sometimes it is best for there to be discussion. For example, people might give Mike Jones, a character who has never appeared in Japan and whose greatest claim to fame is being on the NES mini rn, is more likely than Henry Flemming or Tethu. For the record, I actually do not support either of those two, which can be seen with my ranking. This is not attacking anyone, but posting a few lines of text that explain why your score is the way it is would go a long way.
The thing is though, is that yesterday there was alot to talk about because there were alot of misconceptions, possiblities and results to talk about, it was a discussion that people seem to be worth enough to discuss about (ex. Lycanroc).

But there are alot of options where alot of people don't know who that charcater is, or the chance of the character joining the roster is pretty obvious, or is an uninteresting idea in general, so people won't find it worth enough to discuss the possible situations and just sum up their feelings.

The days I'm most looking foward to is E3 week, since that is when there is going to be a lot of discussion of what is going on, character reveals, and hopefully we get to see if our predictions were right or wrong.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Mike Jones

Chance: 0.4%

- Rather obscure and his game was never released in Japan so that really limits any chances he has.

- Sorry but I’m not interested.

Prediction

Mimikyu: 22.5%

- It’s one of the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon.

Nominations

Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x3
Starfy (The Legendary Starfy) x2

Top Bottom