• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ganon
9.78% Chance
38.97% Want

That'le do pig. Thatle do.

Bomberman
22.10% Chance
57.11% Want

Bomberman barely missed out on top ten of want. Almost.

Black Shadow
3.80% Chance
33.37% Want

So... That went better than I expected. Turns out having a cool anime scene helped his chances

ESL Fire Emblem
43.62% Chance
55.90% Want

Interesting. Samuel L Jackson would be proud.

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever and @jamesster445 your votes were not counted due to being posted after the post with giant text that said day over. Please read next time. I swear to god if I say "Calcs Incoming and people decide to post again, I will have to ignore your nominations. It annoys me and I do not like being annoyed.

For falling behind the past week, today everyone gets an extra five noms. Use them wisely.

@Lord-Zero gets 5 extra noms for Ganon. @Yomi's Biggest Fan gets noms for Bomberman. Ze Diglett Ze Diglett gets noms for Black Shadow. And people were terrible at guessing for fire emblem, But Opossum Opossum gets the 5 noms because actually was very close.

Today we got Lycanroc, the Wolf pokemon for Gen 7. Please rate in in chance and want. Since this pokemon has three forms, assume that one form makes it in. I personally am assuming Dusk but you are free to assume whatever. Also please predict Mike Jones from Startropics.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
After researching Sakurai’s criteria on Pokemon again, I have realized that Decidueye actually is not the frontrunner candidate for the next Pokemon newcomer. Who will be chosen will be based on combination of factors. While Decidueye has huge popularity in the Pokemon fanbase and gameplay potential, there is one factor he misses that is crucial for his inclusion, this part in particular:

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front.

For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward.

But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”

As of new episodes of Sun/Moon anime, Decidueye has not become a central Pokemon. Ash’s Rowlet has not evolved into Decidueye, whose current role in the anime is mostly for the gags. The one that actually fits into the anime part of the criteria is Lycanroc:

Lycanroc has become one of Ash’s primary partners for battling in the anime recently. Outside of that medium, his pre-evolution/other forms have been promoted frequently in 2016 in Sun/Moon video games, being the first Pokemon to appear in a new trading card mechanic called GX, prominence in the manga, and merchandise. With Sakurai likely having done heavy marketing research for Sun/Moon around the time of project planning, the one I feel he certainly go for Lycanroc due to the promotional frequency.

Alongside having an huge amount of popularity in the Pokemon fanbase, Lycanroc also has distinct gameplay potential, wielding the powers of levitating rocks. He is an earth-bender of sorts in Avatar terms and is not mainly utilized by any other Smash character yet. Since Midnight Lycanroc is the most popular out of its three forms, I will be discussing its playstyle in that particular form.

According to Midnight Lycanroc’s Pokedex information, it acts quite recklessly and craves for victory, provoking opponents and using close combat when nearby. Lycanroc plays as a fighter who utilizes rock powers in melee for a bait-and-attack playstyle. The many other forms of Lycanroc can work too if Sakurai wants to have the Pokemon focus on a ranged-attack bait-and-attack playstyle as well:

I personally believe now Lycanroc will be the next and only Pokemon newcomer chosen for Smash. While it would be ideal for the roster to get Lycanroc & Decidueye, I feel that only one spot will remain open, in the same way only one spot was open for one new X/Y Pokemon way back in Smash 4’s project plan. With Lycanroc having the advantage of being more promoted in many mediums like the anime more than Decidueye way back in 2016, It would not matter how distinct Decidueye would be because without that combination of benefits Lycanroc has, he will not make it in. Lycanroc is one of those Pokemon has become central to Sun/Moon from S/M's pre-release to now. I feel firmly confident that Lycanroc will be playable over Decidueye.

x10 Tom Nook

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Stone Doggo

Chance: 60%
Pros:
  • Heavily promoted, having 3 different forms, a unique z-move and is Ash's main Pokemon in the anime
  • Very popular
  • Unique moveset potential
Cons:
  • The former 2 points may be irrelevant due to the timing of the project plan
  • One of the 3 forms is definetly more heavily promoted than the others, and that form is a quadraped that lacks features that could make it work unlike veterans Ivysaur and Duck Hunt
  • Faces some stiff competition from its own generation
Overall, I'd say he's one of the frontrunners as far as Pokemon newcomers are concerned, but I wouldn't exactly call him an obvious choice.

Want: (0+25+30) / 3 = 18.33%
  • Midnight Lycanroc looks like Verlisify, who I despise, so 0%.
  • I like Midday Lycanroc, but it was somewhat of a disappointment when I used it in my Sun playthrough due to not learning Earthquake, so 25%.
  • Cheeto Puff Lycanroc has the best design of the 3, but I have no personal attachment to it. 30%
Additionally, I didn't like the moveset concept I saw for them, so they don't interest me in the playstyle department either.
Finally...
road runner2.png

While I'm not neccesarily opposed to Gen 7 Pokemon other than Decidueye making it in, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if my most wanted character didn't make it in, and Lycanroc does compete with Decidueye, so... yeah.
At least it's a better choice than a certain other Gen 7 Pokemon that competes with Decidueye. Speaking of which...

Mimikyu x10
Hopefully it's be a big enough boost to secure a place on next week's schedule. I want to get some things off my chest already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lycanroc

Chance: 75%
It's like having a death wish to say this on Smashboards, but I'm saying it anyways.

I think Lycanroc has a better chance of getting added than Decidueye.

Now before you start bashing me for saying such ludicrous things, hear me out. Every Pokémon rep we've ever had on the roster has had a notable role in both the games and, more specifically, the anime. It seems like Sakurai takes into account the anime when he makes his decisions regarding which Pokémon will be playable. Why? I have no idea, but whether it's coincidental or intentional, the trend is definitely there.

With that in mind, let's see what Lycanroc has done so far in the anime. Both the original forms debuted in episode 15 of the anime, and in that same episode, Ash caught a Rockruff. Gladion owns a Midnight Lycanroc, and Olivia owns a Midday Lycanroc; Ash's Rockruff developed a rivalry with both. The rivalry is heavy plot point for Rockruff, and it's what ultimately caused it to evolve into the newer Lycanroc form, Dusk Lycanroc. In addition to the anime series, Cross, a character from the 20th Pokémon movie, owned a Midnight Lycanroc.

Now what has Decidueye done? It made its debut in episode 63 of the anime alongside the other final evos, Incineroar and Primarina. However, it only had a minor role as a challenger for Masked Royal and his Incineroar, the real focus of the episode. And...that's it. That's literally all Decidueye has done so far in the anime. And what about Rowlet? Well, even though Ash does own a Rowlet, it's been designated as the "comedic relief" Pokemon while Ash's other Pokemon (namely Torracat and Lycanroc) steal the spotlight and get the real character development. Frankly, seeing Rowlet evolve at any point would be very surprising, and its massive popularity in Japan likely chains it down to permanently staying as its cute first evo.

Nothing against Decidueye and his supporters, because I genuinely do think the guy would be a unique addition. I'm just not seeing the promotion that's usually associated with Pokémon who get in Smash, and that makes me wonder if he's as likely as we say he is. Gen 7 is all but wrapping up now, so unless Game Freak is adamant about continuing to promote Gen 7 Pokemon in Gen 8, the promotion we've gotten so far is basically all of what we're gonna get. Looking at everything that's happened so far, do I think Game Freak and the Pokémon Company as a whole has done enough to prepare us for a possible reveal of Decidueye in Smash? Honestly, not really. If Decidueye was planned to be in Smash, I have a feeling we would've seen a MUCH bigger push in it's promotion. So far, it doesn't really feel like Decidueye has been pushed harder than other popular Gen 7 Pokémon, let alone Incineroar or Primarina. I know people like to bring up Pokken Tournament as an example of Decidueye being pushed, but they forget that Namco was responsible for many of the additions to the roster (Game Freak originally wanted Pokken to be exclusive to fighting types). Hard to say whether or not Decidueye got in because it was pushed by Game Freak or because Namco itself wanted to include it over other Gen 7 Pokémon. Not that it matters much. The Pokken Switch port was revealed in mid 2017. We have no guarantee that Sakurai even knew Decidueye was on the roster when he settled on his list of Smash newcomers.

To sum it all up, I think people are putting all of their eggs in one basket with Decidueye; they're neglecting to look at Pokémon who have gotten a heavier promotion like Lycanroc and Mimikyu. The archer bird is by no means the shoo-in people make it out to be. Based off how much promotion it got, I feel confident in saying Lycanroc has a good chance of being the front-runner for the potential Pokémon rep.

Want: 100%
If the Lycanroc icon in my sig and the lengthy post I just made didn't cue you in...

Mike Jones prediction: 4.4%

Nominations: Mipha x10

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Lycanroc

Chance: 10%
I think Decidueye and Mimikyu have better odds due to being less unorthodox, but Lycanroc has a non-negligible shot. Easily one of the most promoted Alola Pokémon.

Want: This...varies.

Dusk Form: 15%
Midday: 10%
Midnight: 0%

Averaged out, that's about 8.3% for my want, but I'll be going with the 15 instead, since Dusk is the only one with a shot IMO.

Predicting a 1.2 for Mike.

Nominating K. Rool x15

D

Deleted member

"Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?"

Lycanroc

Chance/Want: 50%

Nominations:
Concept: Boss Battle Mode x2
T-Rex (Fossil Fighters) x3

D

Deleted member

Lycanroc

Chance: 35%
Want: 30%
I don't have much to say about it really.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5
Concept: Female announcer x5

Mike Jones prediction: 2.34%

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Lycanroc
Chance: Abstain
All I really do with Pokemon is play the main series, so when I saw we were rating Lycanroc, I knew who it was, but wondered why such a seemingly random gen 7 Pokemon was being rated. Then I read some of the above posts and realized it is actually a legitimate possibility, so I'm leaving myself out of this one.

Want: 20%
It is kind of cool, but I'd prefer Decidueye or Tapu Koko.

Nominate Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x10

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Lycanroc

Chance: 25%
One of the more popular Pokemon this gen, but there's a lot of competition from Mimikyu and Decidueye, plus the Gen 8 Pokemon.

Want: 50%
I like Lycanroc, though I'd prefer Mimikyu or Buzzwole.

Mike Jones prediction: 5%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x10

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Lyanroc

Chance: 30%

Since it's got important role in the show, and looks like it'll continue to make appearances, I could see it being suggested to Sakurai. But I think it needs more than just that to be more likely.

Want: 20%

Part of me wants to see how he would work.

Nominations: Lip x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Like an Rock

Double Abstain, don't know much about this PKMN

Prediction: Mike Jones

Chance: 5%
Want: 37%

Nominaions

Masked Link X 3
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf X 2

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Lycanroc Chance: 15%
Not who I'd expect when it comes to Gen 7 Pokémon but I'm not counting him out either. It's clear Lycanroc was meant to be one of the mascots of the generation after all.

Eh.

Could be fun, but honestly I don't care. Still a better choice than Decidueye though at least.

Mike Jones Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Gengar X5, Rex/ Pyra rerate X5

:094:

****. I missed the Roy/Marth concept. Darn. h well

Lycanroc
abstain from chance
Don't know enough about pokemon, and that seems to be one of the ones sakurai loks at weirdly anyway

Want: 10%
I guess I wouldnt hate the regular wolf even though I find it boring and midnight is okay I suppose but I dotn really care for either and Dusk is just silly if you ask me

Noms:
uhhh
Concept: That one FE heroes weapon as an item that summons FE cahracters like an assist trophy x10 (+5 everyone apparently got)
:061:

D

Deleted member

Lycanroc

Lycanroc (and Rockruff) are popular and have been marketed a ton. It's clear that they were intended to be among the generation's mascots. That being said, I think Decidueye is more likely. While TPC might've pushed solely for Lycanroc, it's entirely possible they just gave a short list of Pokemon that would be big names, and the starters would almost certainly be on that list. With that in mind, Decidueye offers obvious and unique moveset potential that would more easily translate to Smash, so I think Sakurai would opt for the archer owl.

I love Lycanroc. One of my favorite Pokemon period.

Nominating KOS-MOS x4, Excitebiker x6

Mike Jones Prediction: 6.32%

Last edited by a moderator:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Lycanroc
Chance: 5% -
Decidueye and Mimikyu exist. Role in the anime be damned.
Want: 0% - I never liked his design and he is overrated as heck.

Prediction: Mike Jones
Chance: 3.19%
Want: 34.26%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Lycanroc

Chance: 20%

Has potential for a unique playstyle but he's gonna have to compete with alot of potential Gen 7 mons. Also his importance in the anime likely means jack with how early the roster was decided.

Want: ABSTAIN

Predictions for Mike Jones: 4.28%

Nominations: Leon Kennedy x5 Canon DK/Bowser/Diddy voices x5

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Lycanroc

Chance: 50%
Out of all the Pokemons currently in existence, I think Lycanroc has the best shot nya. But he's nyo way guaranteed nya. After all, Decidueye and Mimikyu is his biggest competition nya.

Want: 80%
I like Pokemon. I like wolves. I like pointy rocks. Sounds like my kinda pokemon nya~ It's nyot Mimikyu though, so nya!

Nyominations
Mimikyu: x10 (Added the extra noms nya!)

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
This is a reminder to everyone that due to my mess up on falling behind, everyone has 5 extra noms today. If do not use them by the time I end the day they will be gone forever.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Ohey, wouldja look at that. I finally won something.

Cookie Crisp

Chance: 10%
Competition is always stiff for Pokemon newcomers, and I really can't think of much of a reason (other than muh anime) to pick Lycanroc over, say, Decidueye, who is strictly more iconic than Lycanroc despite how much TPC's been trying to force the latter down our collective throats, and has more potential for a unique moveset, being a dedicated archer and all. Lycanroc seems more like a misguided flavor of the month choice than anything else, and I have a feeling if he does get in, it won't pay off anywhere near how it did with Greninja.

Want: 0%
Eugh. I'm sorry, but I just don't like Lycanroc and I never did. I find its design generic and bland at best (Midday) and outright repulsive at worst (Midnight). It came off to me from the very start as being the forced "fan favorite" mon of this generation - especially considering it got a shiny new design when USUM came out, which just screams "HEY KIDS" to me - except it's not even cool like Lucario, Zoroark, and Greninja, who all got the same treatment. We already have one quadrupedal fighter in Smash as is, who at least has some neat gimmicks to flesh out their moveset; if we were to get another one, I'd prefer Wolf Link, Amaterasu, or even a comeback for Ivysaur. And either way, I don't want a potential Decidueye slot to get taken over by this dog, and if any wolf is getting in at this point, it should be the Wolf.

Mike Jones Prediction: 2.31%

Nominating Tingle x15 (YEA BOIIIIIII)

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Lycanroc

Chance: 55%
Lycanroc is a literal underdog when it comes to speculation. A lot of fans are backing Decidueye and maybe Mimikyu, but the rock wolf tends to fall under the radar, which is strange since it has a lot going for it. Even early on it was pretty clear that TCPi did want to push the pup as Rockruff was notably promoted leading up to Lycanroc's reveal, with examples like Corocoro where it had a spread decided to its reveal, another issue where it was commenting on the reveal of other Pokémon like Mimikyu, and build up to its evolution. When Lycanroc came around, that didn't change as it was also made a big deal of in Corocoro as it essentially had its debut issue to itself with multiple spreads, had the Pokémon Horizon manga where it and its pre-evolution were featured, and it was featured in other trailers and promos around the game leading up to its release.

After that it got even better for it. Midnight appeared in I Choose You as a secondary, but still notable Pokémon for Cross, in the TCG it was one of the headliners for a set, and all three forms have got a lot of merchandise. What really sells its status is the main anime and USUM promotion as the main anime not only showcased the two forms under notable characters like Gladion and Olivia, but also had Ash get his own special Lycanroc form in the form of Dusk, which was built up to even as a Rockruff and has since been pretty much his ace in the same vein as Greninja due to the amount of focus he has had. Said form was also pushed as a main reason to get USUM as it was an early adopter event and it and its counterparts were featured prominently in promotion for the game such as posters (ex. RR's) and the teaser trailer. It also got a new Z-Move, which was given to five other Pokémon in the game, four of which (Mimikyu, Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma) were also promoted. In short, since the beginning Lycanroc has been one of the more notably promoted Pokémon of its generation, and if Sakurai was talking to TCPi and doing research on the matter like he has stated he's done, I'm sure Lycanroc would be one of the big standouts.

However, it's not without its potential issues. The first is exclusive to Dusk as while we do know it existed around SM's release due to its PGL data existing at the time, it wasn't officially made aware of until over half a year later, which means it may be a bit of a Greninja situation for it since it'd have to rely on Sakurai and TCPi. Its future may've been mapped out at the time as the anime did have Rockruff hanging around, but it does require a bit more foresight relative to examples like Mimikyu. The second is we don't know how far ahead in promotion that Sakurai would have knowledge of. We do know he talks to TCPi and as Sakurai's quote implies they likely would be very open about future promotion, but if Sakurai lacks knowledge past a certain point they could miss out on some of their more prominent appearances.

Nonetheless, Lycanroc was still notably promoted even in the early days and with good options in terms of moveset they can still catch Sakurai's eye. I wouldn't sleep on this wolf, there's a good opportunity for it to join the battle.

Want: 85%
My second most wanted Alolan Pokémon, tied with Decidueye.

Nomination: Monster Hunter character x10

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lycanroc:

I was finally waiting for this day to come but Cosmic77 Cosmic77 and BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 summarized it much better than I would’ve ever done.

Chance: 80%
Either way. Although Decidueye has an amazing design that is too hard to pass up and seems to show popularity in the Smash community, history is beginning to repeat itself once again.

I’m not gonna lie. Decidueye is one of my favorite starters and I would support his inclusion. But I realized that if the roster was already decided in early to mid 2016, before the game even came out, and Decidueye had been the chosen newcomer from Gen 7, then it would’ve had been more heavily pushed. Rowlet would’ve had a major role in the anime, and most likley have evolved into a later form by now, and Decidueye would’ve appeared in all sorts of mediums. But alas he has not.

It’s like back in 2013. When X and Y started to pick up steam. Everyone thought it would’ve been Zoroark or Mewtwo when they failed to look at Greninja, the shiny new water starter who was being promoted like **** to setup his reveal for Smash, but no one bought it until he was finally revealed.

The same thing is happening here, but y’all are putting that logic on GEN 8. So yeah, I feel that Lycanroc’s promotion is a sign that he is being playable for Smash. So I’m going to be giving him a SLIGHT edge Decidueye for chance.

Which form will it be. I’m not sure. It could be dusk but if the roster was decided early on then it can’t be dusk.

Want: I have to split it up.
Midday: 95%
Midnight: 95%
Dusk: 80%
My favorite Pokémon. But I tried to be as unbiased as possible.

Nominations:
x5 Multiple VA option
EDIT: x5 Monster Hunter (I’m interested in this.)

And with that I’m done.

Last edited:

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Lycanroc

Chance: 35%
Probably has the best shot at being the Pokémon newcomer for all the reasons previously stated, though it's a bit of a dice roll against a few other important mons. Since there's almost certainly only going to be one gen 7 (8?) representative it only makes sense to subtract every other chance score from Lycanroc's, which might not result in the prettiest number but is still the largest slice of 100%. Not sure if the 3 forms triples its chances or hinders them, though I'd assume Dusk form would get in if it was on the table at the time.

Want: 60%
Another quadruped would be nifty (unless Midnight is chosen), and every form of Lycanroc is charming in its own way. Not sure what the moveset will end up looking like other than down B being a counter (unless Midday is chosen), but I'm sure Sakurai could come up with something reasonably fun to play.

Nominations: Nikki (Swapnote) x10

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Lycanroc:

Chance: 40%

I'm really not sure for Lyncanroc! Up to now, I've been thinking that Decidueye seems like a likely Pokémon newcomer... but then, Smash rarely goes with what we expect! Lycanroc seems to be decently popular too, so he's possible. I'm honestly not too sure on this one!

Want: 25%
He'd be kind of neat, but I don't really want him very much. If he's in, neat, and if he's not, that's OK!

-----

Mike Jones (ohhh it's time!!) chance prediction: 16.78%

Nominations:
DeMille x10

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Lycanroc

Chance - 35% - Eh, I'll give the inverse of my Decedueye rating. Sure, he's promoted, but "Wolf with Rock powers" is kinda... eh? He doesn't seem to strike the imagination the way, say, Greninja did. Greninja isn't just a water frog, he's a NINJA water frog, and most of his move set leans more towards ninja than water or frog. Lycanroc has problems because 2/3 of his forms are quadrupedal, and his design doesn't say much beyond "dog with rock powers". Compared to the Ultra Beasts and their funky alien designs, Decidueye's robin hood-esque design, or Mimikyu's horror under the cute sheet, and his design just seems kinda lackluster.

Want - 60% - Could be cool, but I think there are better Pokemon out their.

Predictions

Mike Jones - 6.36% - Does Japan even know about him?

Nominaitons

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Lycanroc
Chance: 50%
At first I was confused as to why people were nominating him, until I saw it's because of him being important in the anime. That combined with the fact that he is one of the most pushed gen 7 Pokemon boosts him up imo, but I still don't really think he's that likely.

No real opinion. As long as he's fun, sure.

Mike Jones: 18.7%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x10

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Lycanroc
If it is anyone from Gen VII, it will be Decidueye or Mimikyu.

Want: 40%
Eh all the forms of Lycanroc are cool and all, but I am not too fond of rock types.

x10 to KOS-MOS

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lycanroc
Abstain

I know little about this character, although it seems to me that the Decidueye vs. Lycanroc debacle is just Gen 7 Greninja vs. Gen 7 Lucario. Neither of them really sell me on being more than flavor of the month (I think Mimikyu is in a better position for that).

Still, at least Decidueye has a cool design. Lycanroc’s is generic at its best and downright stupid at its worst.

Mike Jones predictions:
Chance: 11%

Nominations: Prince SableX5
DeMilleX5

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Lycanroc

Chance: 45%
It would not be surprising if Game Freak showed concept art of their Gen VII Pokemon to Sakurai like they did with Greninja back in Smash 4. However, it is still uncertain which Pokemon they would want to promote for Smash as there are plenty of great candidates. Lycanroc is certainly one of the forerunners for a Gen VII representative due to its distinct appearance, forms, and moveset, which would all greatly aid in making it feel unique in Smash.

Want: 80%
I'd certainly be down to have another quadruped in Smash, especially one with abilities not yet explored in Smash.

Prediction:
Mike Jones: 14.75%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x10

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Lycanroc

Chance: 45%
I think any Pokémon with an exclusive Z-Move has a pretty good shot. I think the Z-Move will be a big factor in which Pokémon gets picked.

Want: 5%
What a boring choice for a Pokemon. There are so many crazy Pokemon out there it would be rather disapointing. I'd prefer the ghostly archer plant owl, or the ghost that disguises itself as Pikachu in order to be loved. Those are some wacky choices, and I love wacky. The weirder the better and Lycanroc isn't wierd enough.

Predictions for Mike Jones
Chance: 0.5%
Want: 10%

Nominations
Barbara ×3
Slime ×2

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Lycanroc
He's a super popular gen 7 mon who got an extra form in USUM and is prominent in the anime in a way akin to Greninja.
One of my favorite Pokémon from Sun and Moon and my overall favorite rock type.

Mike Jones Prediction: 2.67%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x4
Tetra x3
9-Volt x2
Endou Mamoru x1

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Lycanroc

Chance - 55%

I think we overrated Decidueye to hell and back. Myself included.

Lycanroc has been one of the go to "promotion" Pokemon for Generation 7, most notably seen through his role as Ash's key Pokemon in the current Pokemon anime, which has always been an incredibly important when creating Pokemon in Smash as seen by:
  • Every Pokemon in Super Smash Brothers has their anime voice, rather than generic grunts or noises
  • Jigglypuff was chosen solely based on her role in the anime
  • Pikachu, Charizard, and Greninja have all been or still are prominent members of Ash's team
  • Mewtwo and Lucario have had movies dedicated to them, with Lucario being the only non-Legendary Pokemon along with Zoroark
Granted, being in the anime doesn't mean everything (see: Zoroark), but the timing this time around is much nicer for the idea of a Gen 7 character rather than a Gen 8 character (unlike how a Gen 6 character was chosen over a Gen 5 character in Zoroark's case), as well as the Rockruff line being used a lot more in marketing, such as starring in its own manga, amongst other things, like being Professor Kukui's main Pokemon, his appearance as one of the main rival's main Pokemon in the latest Pokemon movie, and having his own unique Z-Move.

Really, the only reason I wouldn't give him a higher score is because there are a lot of other Gen 7 Pokemon in similar spots, especially Mimikyu, along with some others like potentially Tapu Koko, Incineroar, and even the aforementioned Decidueye.

Really, I hope when E3 comes around and we do those Overrated / Underrated character discussions, I hope Decidueye is one of them. I think he is by far the most overrated character currently by a landslide. I think we really pulled a Deoxys / Zoroark sort of thing with him.

Want - 0%

Despite the fact that I think Decidueye is extremely overrated in chance, he's popular for a good reason. His moveset would be super cool, and same goes for a lot of other Pokemon. I can't really say the same about Lycanroc. Every idea I've seen for a moveset just doesn't jump out to me, and I'm not a fan of his Dusk or Night forms, and were he to get into Smash, he'd most likely use one of them over his default Day form.

We have one dog (and his duck buddy) in Smash right now, and currently, that's enough for me.

Nominations:
Wonder Red x10

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I'll abstain with Lycanroc... I haven't seen the anime parts with Lycanroc... so yeah, I don't know.

Predictions:

Mike Jones: 3.2% (Considering the Black Shadow; I guess any character will have a higher score than Micaiah unless they're joke options or another thing living in the shadows of other more relevant choices)

Nominations:

Tom Nook x7
KOS-MOS x3

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Lycanroc

Chance 40%
Want Abstain

The bipedal Lycanroc is ugly but the other ones are okay. He’s a popular pokemon but idk if he’s the one to expect. Unless they want to go with starters again.

x2 Tom Nook
x4 Arcade Bunny
x4 Toon Zelda

Predict 3.89%

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Lycanroc want: 0% (2-10*)

Nominations:

Decloned Ganondorf x5
FE Spear User x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Lycanroc

Lycanroc is among the stand out Pokemon from Alola. It has two evolved forms depending on the version, and a unique dusk form introduced in the Ultra games. There's also the fact that Ash owns a Lycanroc (specifically the dusk form). Who knows. It may end up being Ash's last Pokemon in the Alola League where he loses..... again.

I'd pick Lycanroc over Decidueye if Incineroar can't join the battle. Pokemon newcomers don't always have to be starters.

I feel ever since Pokken DX's release, people had overrate Decidueye chances to the point of defaulting to it when thinking of a Pokemon newcomer (if it's not a Gen 8 mon). Some literally only want Decidueye in because it's a grass starter. Ignoring its own merit. Yeah, it's popular, but Rowlet is more beloved by the Pokemon fandom. I don't see Ash's Rowlet evolving anytime soon.

Nominations
Bowser/DK/Diddy Kong Canon voices x10

Top Bottom