• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Huh... Touhou eh?

Chance:
I've heard about this series by listening to some fan remixes of the series. There are a lot of fan remixes. They're great music. Where was I?

Oh yeah. So that alone kind of tells me of how popular the series might be. Putting more research into it, and by that I mean one google search and pretending I put effort into this, Touhou seems surprisingly popular. I think someone compared it to the Shovel Knight of Japan (except Touhou's been around way longer), and I think that's pretty cool. My only concern is I don't know if Touhou is big enough for Nintendo. A game is coming out for the Switch but eh? I'll give it a maybe on the low end. I'll see Dragon Quest get in before I see Touhou.

Want:
The music alone is really the biggest reason to appreciate Touhou getting in. I'd be bopping my head to its music and would not complain. Plus who knows, it might bring something interesting. Not interested in the designs of the characters, though. More specifically the art style. Can't stand how cliche those eyes look. I don't doubt moveset potential though.

Never tried out the series though and I've never been big on action shooters like Gradius and whatnot. It's low. Higher than Fate being in Smash, but still low.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
It's not at all relevant to the thread but I'm getting REALLY annoyed by all these 'Touhou is unknown/irrelevant/not that popular in the west' (Which is just another variation of saying 'literally who?'.) arguments against Reimu. As if that argument ever held ground in the first place, considering we have Ness, Lucas, Roy, and ESPECIALLY The Belmonts, all of whom are only selectively popular in one area, and yet all of them got into Smash (YES, The Belmonts are in the same position as Reimu, although it's reversed- According to sales figures I found online, Castlevania has only ever been really popular in the United States. Even SoTN, the most popular game in the series, didn't do very well [In the context of AAA games] in anywhere not named the United States). Literally most of the arguments detractors have used against Reimu are things that can be applied in full strength to the Belmonts with only minor changes to the details, and THEY made it into Smash. If they can do it, why can't Reimu?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not at all relevant to the thread but I'm getting REALLY annoyed by all these 'Touhou is unknown/irrelevant/not that popular in the west' (Which is just another variation of saying 'literally who?'.) arguments against Reimu. As if that argument ever held ground in the first place, considering we have Ness, Lucas, Roy, and ESPECIALLY The Belmonts, all of whom are only selectively popular in one area, and yet all of them got into Smash (YES, The Belmonts are in the same position as Reimu, although it's reversed- According to sales figures I found online, Castlevania has only ever been really popular in the United States. Even SoTN, the most popular game in the series, didn't do very well [In the context of AAA games] in anywhere not named the United States). Literally most of the arguments detractors have used against Reimu are things that can be applied in full strength to the Belmonts with only minor changes to the details, and THEY made it into Smash. If they can do it, why can't Reimu?
While I understand your frustration, I do feel the comparison with Castlevania is a bad one.

For one Castlevania precedes Tohou by several years and started on the NES; Tohou is a game franchise that is mainly focused on PC; CV is backed by a company with close ties with Nintendo while Tohou is run by a very dedicated man; there is not much info regarding sales figures of Tohou aside from retail releases of fangames, so comparing sales might be difficult (plus it could be a case of good sales for an indie game but fall short when compared to non-indies); Tohou's popularity has been aided by the creator's open stance on fan games which is something no major retailers do.

A better comparison would be arguably Shovel Knight or Shantae, considering these are western indies with more popularity in the west than in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
and third, there's the fact that having Touhou/Fate on Smash is kind of a meme around certain places,
And speaking of the Devil...
Chance: 5%-I already brought how she's kind of a joke before, but the next issue, just how recognizable Touhou is? Not too much compared to a game that rivaled with Zelda and Mario for the GOTY award in 2017. Not to mention, the longest runner as an indie character was Shovel Knight, and he only made it as an Assist Trophy.
Want: 0%-Not gonna lie, I know Touhou more because of fan works (walfas, draws, memes, MUGEN characters and so on) than the actual games, and frankly, the characters don't interest me at all.
Nominations: Dante x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
It's not at all relevant to the thread but I'm getting REALLY annoyed by all these 'Touhou is unknown/irrelevant/not that popular in the west' (Which is just another variation of saying 'literally who?'.) arguments against Reimu. As if that argument ever held ground in the first place, considering we have Ness, Lucas, Roy, and ESPECIALLY The Belmonts, all of whom are only selectively popular in one area, and yet all of them got into Smash (YES, The Belmonts are in the same position as Reimu, although it's reversed-
Thing is, those characters are in the base roster. With paid DLC, they would have to win the general Smash consuming audience over to spend their cash, which might be tough with a character like Reimu. I know Lucas and Roy were both DLC for Sm4sh but atleast they were recognized by being in previous Smash instalments.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
A pal of mine from GameFAQs, who doesn't have a Smashboards account, gave his opinion on Reimu's chances. Here's a screenshot.

Capture.PNG

D

Deleted member

LOOK ANON

1548023897868.png

Shoutouts if you get the reference.

Chance :
Reimu Hakurei is the Shrine Maiden of Paradise in the Touhou Project created by sole developer ZUN. She manages the Hakurei Shrine and is the main character of the Touhou franchise. She deals with troublesome creatures called Youkai within her home land of Gensokyo. The Touhou series has been on-going since 1996, making it one of the oldest doujin/indie franchises to still be running, older than Quote and even Shantae. The series has had 27 games official games and has managed to carve out a niche within the bullet-hell genre over the years. I think I should clarify though that for a doujin game series, Touhou is big. At Comiket 74 in 2008, it had 885 circles making work for it out of 35000 in total. By Comiket 85 in 2013, it had gained the record for the most number of circles producing work for it at a whopping 2722. The series became so popular in this otaku circle that in 2004 it had its own convention called Reitaisai, which in 2011 had 4940 circles participating. Ufotable even made an animation celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Japanese goods chain Animate that crossed over the brand’s mascot with Touhou, demonstrating the series’ popularity. The series’ impact on internet culture can’t be ignored as well, however irrelevant it may seem. The series has had countless fan-made animations, songs, games and memes (of course). Flash videos such as “Marisa stole the precious thing” and other assorted memes were rather popular among Internet forums in the mid-2000s, and the series has certainly retained that popularity. Even on YouTube, back in the day there were countless super popular Touhou YTPMVs and some Touhou songs have over 10 million views. The Touhou meme of Yuukuris is even featured on the front page of 2channel, the biggest Internet forum in the world. In the West, while certainly not as popular as in Japan, the series has had a following since at least Embodiment of a Scarlet Devil in 2002 and has become well-known among the bullet-hell genre. The series has had several fighting games so Reimu’s moveset potential is certainly there, and she even crossed over with Kirby in the japan-only Taiko game on the 3ds, so the world of Nintendo isn’t new to her. ZUN himself ha s stated he grew up on Nintendo games, and was even willing to make a super mario maker level on Polygon despite usually avoiding Western-press. This is purely anecdotal, but I’ve seen several people say “So is this a Touhou?” when playing a bullet hell. In Otaku circles at least the series is very big. However, there’s the catch essentially. It’s ultimately still a fairly-niche otaku series despite what I said prior. Bullet-hells in genre have never been particularly huge, and Touhou itself has struggled to really break into the mainstream. The western fandom has existed for nearly 20 years, but it’s still a pretty niche section of the internet. Just look at what I listed before, a lot of it is just internet stuff that doesn’t really speak all too much for actual popularity. There’s even this one screencaps of Japanese smash fans mocking people who want Reimu in, small sample size but it’s there. In addition, Touhou is still an indie game series, which inherently gives it a disadvantage to bigger published series, and both the Indie series we have in smash currently had large fan-support, whil Commander Video required the devs to ask for a trophy. ZUN also seems averse to letting Touhou break away from its Doujin roots, and Reimu starring in a big AAA title like smash might go against that. As far as I’m aware, the only Touhou game that’s actually been released on a Nintendo console is a fan-made game, which hurts her chances a bit. Ultimately, I think it comes down to if Nintendo really wants to tap into the Otaku audience or if they’re aiming for big headline characters that are sure to get attention for all DLC.
15%
Didn’t think I’d ever be giving Reimu a chance that high.

Want :
I’ve played a few Touhou games, and while I wouldn’t say I’m a fan I have enjoyed them. With the fighting game already there Reimu certainly has the potential for a very interesting moveset and we don’t really have a bullet-hell character in smash yet. Touhou in my mind has always been the one series really synonymous with internet culture so I think it’d be fun on that aspect too. However, I’ve joked about this before but Reimu getting in really would destroy the Touhou fandom. If I see a smash trailer and it shows a red-clothed girl sitting at a shrine my second thought is going to be “maybe I should avoid some of the internet for the next few days”. It’s a ridiculous point, I know, but I wanted to talk about it. I also still wouldn’t call myself a big fan of Touhou, and personally I’ve never been super fond of Reimu’s design, at least not in ZUN’s art style. Can’t deny though, the series has some ****ing great music.
35%
Noms: Ezio x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Abstain, apparently I had no idea who she actually was before this and all this talk about bullet hell games makes me think I shouldn't rate without more time to research (I may or may not have thought she was another Lip-esque character)

Nomination: Ravio x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The cow jumped over the sun, hence producing some ray moos

Chance: 10%
As popular as it might be in Japan, we still have to remember that when Sakurai knows something is obscure over seas, he's hesitant about adding it. Just look at the first party Takamaru and Lip, who are still struggling to get their foot in the door for a spot in Smash. I could very well see Reimu possibly being on the list Nintendo provided, but Sakurai passed it by for not being "realizable." Her series' history does indeed put her in a better spot than Katalina though.

Want: 0%
I know that this might be unfair, but with the encouragement to not abstain as much anymore, I feel I'll have to be a bit more harsh. And for Reimu, that hurts her. Realistically, I could never want a character I have no experience with and no ability to have an experience with. Sorry to say, but I'd have nothing to work off of, and just can't muster a want for a character I don't know at all.

Prediction: Hmm, I'd see another character from Overwatch as more likely, if we even get one. Reaper: .99%

Noms:
Q*Bert x3
Professor Hector x2

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Reimu Hakurei

Chance - 10% - It's hard to say how much Reimu will sell. She's a phenominom in Japan, but more of a notable cult classic in the rest of the world. Then again, Joker was unexpected, and I feel Reimu has similar "break the internet" chances. She's practically the Doujin equivalent to Shovel Knight, being everywhere there's Doujin... except that she's under less resetricive copyright Even so, I'm not certain this sort of game is ZUN's style, as he prefers to keep Doujin less about profits.

Want - 60% - I have no idea how to rate this. I like Touhou, but this is just a bit too out there for me? I just can't wrap my head over how I should feel about it. I'd probably be more flabbergasted than anything else on the reveal, and I'd proabably have to wait untill that bridge is crossed to show that.

Predicitons

Reaper - 0.02% - Overwatch has a clear winner...

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

Realistically, I could never want a character I have no experience with and no ability to have an experience with.
Actually there are 4 Touhou games on the Switch right now in English... technically.

You see, because Touhou is a Doujin series, the creator ZUN holds much less strict copyright enforcment compared to a more traditional game. So long as certain guidelines are met, anyone can make Touhou games, manga, art, etc.

The four games currently on Switch are unofficial fan projects that are published by Nippon Ichi, who got an agreement by ZUN to publish certain Touhou games on the Playstation beforehand. They would latter on get permission to publish it on other platforms and get translation work done on them.

Kobuto V Burst Battle is notable for being the second most downloaded title in it's release week, beaten only by a 3 or 4 week old Mario Odyssey. That said, most fans find it to be average at best. It was decent for it's time, but as a fighting game there is better.

Genso Wanderer Reloaded is typically regarded as the best of the Switch games currently on there, althoug as a laberanthine-ish RPG it's not quite reflective of what is typical of Touhou; Azure Reflections is more or less the official start of the franchise reinterpreted as a horizontal shooter instead of a vertical shooter, with elements to make it easier for beginners.

If you want to play the official games, 3 of them are currently on Steam. Antimony of Common Flowers is an official fighting game spin off with an unusual concept of being mid-air all the time. Hidden Star in Four Seasons is a more traditional vertical shooter the series is known for. Violet Detector is a more unusual spin off involving using a camera to take pictures to remove bullets and defeat enemies in a a vertical shooter fashion.
Just be aware, though, that only Antimony in Common Flowers has English, and the translation itself is questionable. If you want a better translation or one at all, a quick google search should bring you to it.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

/s

Chance: 5%. Touhou is an indie game. If we were to get an indie, it would be SK, Shantae, or Frisk. Besides, it's a little niche outside of Japan.

Want: Abstain. I've never played Touhou.

Noms: Maxwell x5

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Oh Yay, Reimu's turn

Chance: 40%

I've been of the notion, even during pre-release, that if we were getting an indie character than it would be Shantae or Reimu and that hasn't changed. Touhou is massive in Japan and that's not debatable, however it's western fanbase is, as said earlier by Lasatar Lasatar , pretty underground. The Touhou fans typically aren't in the same fandoms as the Smash fans and it's mostly the western anime community that is into Touhou. I don't see ZUN as a major obstacle, Touhou content was in one of the Taiko Drum Master games after all (Alongside Kirby characters, no less). Even as a westerner, you can still see it's influence in a game like Undertale. Anyone who's played both would be able to tell you that there's some obvious inspiration from Touhou in Undertale from character design to gameplay and even music (Even more apparent considering Toby Fox is a fan of Touhou) and it's something to consider since Sakurai likely knows of both. As of now, Touhou's making a pretty apparent push in the western market on the Switch, PS4 and steam, so it's not some invisible franchise.

Want: 70%

Not gonna lie, getting Touhou music in smash is my main reason, but the character itself would be pretty fun too.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Seriously, two meme characters in a row?
Chance: I'm not even gonna bother.
Want: 5%
Reimu has absolutely no reason to be in Smash. But Touhou has some pretty cool music, so it's not all bad.

Lord Hater prediction: 0.1%
Noms: Erdrick x5

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
There sure is a lot of talk about how Reimu inclusion would "destroy" the Touhou fandom, but I'm not seeing much explanation as to why that would happen. Would some care to elaborate? I'm interested in hearing about the ramifications.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
There sure is a lot of talk about how Reimu inclusion would "destroy" the Touhou fandom, but I'm not seeing much explanation as to why that would happen. Would some care to elaborate? I'm interested in hearing about the ramifications.
For all intents and purposes, Touhou is essentially a community property. Zun owns it and is rather lenient on people using the IP. What I think people mean by it "destroying" the fandom would be having a major company get their hands on it. The problem with that is that it already happened. Namco already licensed Touhou characters in one of the Taiko Drum Master games and, far as I know, that wasn't seen as a negative.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Reimu Hakurei

Chance: 25%
Reimu in a post-Joker world? I'd say it's definitely possible, especially since Touhou has been a cultural hit in Japan. The only problem I can see with her is her obscurity in the West, sure they know what Touhou is, but they most likely don't know who Reimu is. Plus, I've heard that ZUN is rather hesitant on letting Reimu in other big projects like Smash, but who knows at this point. She's pretty much the more likely indie character that might get in Smash as DLC, but I'm still doubtful about indie characters getting in, given what happened to both Shovel Knight and Shantae.

Want: 90%
I like Reimu and her games. They're pretty much fun to play and I'm liking her overall design. She would definitely represent the bullet hell genre and it would be interesting to see how she plays in Smash.

Nominations:
Noctis Lucis Caelum x5

Ornl

Smash Ace
The new average prevision for Reimu Hakurei is now (non-final) ≈15%. The old was ≈5,5% :O

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Reimu

Chance: 50%
She's popular in Japan and a cult classic elsewhere. Joker shows that even the most unexpected characters can get in. She's decently possible.

Want: 80%
I'm fond of her, and I think that she will be unique. Bullet hell is a genre that hasn't been represented in Smash yet.

Nominate: Kat & Ana x5

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I think it's unfair to have Reimu rated here, Touhou is an indie juggernaut in Japan, being literally everywhere you go, but outside of it, Touhou only has a niche community overseas. It's to be expected that almost everyone here will give her a low rating or say they don't want her, because most people here don't even know her or her franchise properly. As someone that has been following Touhou for years, I still believe she doesn't have too much of a chance, mostly because Touhou's creator, ZUN, doesn't have any interest in having her in any big name crossovers. He has stated multiple times in the past years that he doesn't produce the games for money, but as a hobby, and he wants Touhou to be a community driven franchise. Unless ZUN states otherwise, I don't see anything Touhou related getting in Smash.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Competition for Hollow Knight:
Chance: 5%: Yeah she is popular in japan, but doesn't mean they'll be dlc. so no
Want:0%: she is competition for Hollow Knight. and her game doesn't interest me.
Nominations: Shy Guy x5

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Reimu
Reimu Resized Further Final.png

Chance: 25%

While I'm obviously very hesitant to give her a low rating and would favor giving her a much higher rating, there's a reason she's my pipe dream character. Sure, she's well known in Japan and decently well known in the West, but compared to characters like Shantae and Shovel Knight, she isn't quite as relevant or well known right now, which does hurt her chances in a way. Factors in how ZUN might feel about allowing her in if what's been said from him is true and it does hinder her chances more-so. Feel free to disagree on these views here, but I'm just quite uncertain of her chances as much as I really want her, hence the 25% rating. If something were to come up later on that might increase her chances, I'd give her a higher rating, but as it stands, 25% and no higher really is the best I can give her in my opinion. That might seem a bit generous, but I feel confident enough in this percentage as any higher would be too much as of right now.

Want: 100%

This then goes into me really wanting her: if she got in, I'd just be extremely excited to see a Touhou rep as that means an awesome character, awesome music, and just an awesome series not in Smash yet, but that's just my opinion. For now, all we can do is wait and see.

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think it's unfair to have Reimu rated here, Touhou is an indie juggernaut in Japan, being literally everywhere you go, but outside of it, Touhou only has a niche community overseas. It's to be expected that almost everyone here will give her a low rating or say they don't want her, because most people here don't even know her or her franchise properly. As someone that has been following Touhou for years, I still believe she doesn't have too much of a chance, mostly because Touhou's creator, ZUN, doesn't have any interest in having her in any big name crossovers. He has stated multiple times in the past years that he doesn't produce the games for money, but as a hobby, and he wants Touhou to be a community driven franchise. Unless ZUN states otherwise, I don't see anything Touhou related getting in Smash.
I mean yeah we're going to have bias, everyone has bias. But most of us do our best to take an objective look at anyone we're rating. That said, to say that we shouldn't be able to rate someone because we won't care about her almost says more about her chances than anything we could say though don't you think?

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I mean yeah we're going to have bias, everyone has bias. But most of us do our best to take an objective look at anyone we're rating. That said, to say that we shouldn't be able to rate someone because we won't care about her almost says more about her chances than anything we could say though don't you think?
I didn't say that we shouldn't be able to rate her, I said that it feels unfair because it's almost guaranteed that people will be biased and deny her any chances.
You all are free to give your opnions on her chances, but since almost nobody here knows about Touhou properly, it's almost certain that everyone will be biased. That's like having someone like Doomguy or other character that's popular only overseas be judged by japanese people. Everyone will be against him.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I didn't say that we shouldn't be able to rate her, I said that it feels unfair because it's almost guaranteed that people will be biased and deny her any chances.
You all are free to give your opnions on her chances, but since almost nobody here knows about Touhou properly, it's almost certain that everyone will be biased. That's like having someone like Doomguy or other character that's popular only overseas be judged by japanese people. Everyone will be against him.
And that's fine, its worth looking at because it tells us something about their chances. We're not pretending to be some all knowing "true rating" on their chances, instead we're just looking to see what our population thinks of the different characters. And we're hardly perfect, look at how we (not actually me since I wasn't here but the collective we) rated some of the returning vets (it's really low).

At the end of the day its all in good fun, but like I said for the most part we really do try to be as unbiased as we can be, frequently taking into account when a character is well liked overseas and adding that into their score.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Reimu Hakurei

Chance: 33% -
It's obviously extremely popular in Japan and has a huge dedicated following elsewhere, with cons entirely dedicated to the indie shmup. It's got decades of history going beyond most of the 3rd parties even. Unfortunately, it's an indie which Nintendo doesn't seem too keen on adding, is not as popular to a wider audience as other 3rd parties, and would definitely be less profitable. On top of that, I doubt either Nintendo sees value in the profit margins or Sakurai is a huge fan of the franchise considering he's never mentioned it.

Want - 60% - I like Touhou. I like Reimu. I like all the fighting game incarnations of her. But I've got higher wants, so while I would deeply enjoy her inclusion, I wouldn't be too thrilled with my other characters I want not making the cut.

Nominations

Rerate 2B x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Reimu Hakurei

Chance - 10% - It's hard to say how much Reimu will sell. She's a phenominom in Japan, but more of a notable cult classic in the rest of the world. Then again, Joker was unexpected, and I feel Reimu has similar "break the internet" chances. She's practically the Doujin equivalent to Shovel Knight, being everywhere there's Doujin... except that she's under less resetricive copyright Even so, I'm not certain this sort of game is ZUN's style, as he prefers to keep Doujin less about profits.

Want - 60% - I have no idea how to rate this. I like Touhou, but this is just a bit too out there for me? I just can't wrap my head over how I should feel about it. I'd probably be more flabbergasted than anything else on the reveal, and I'd proabably have to wait untill that bridge is crossed to show that.

Predicitons

Reaper - 0.02% - Overwatch has a clear winner...

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

Actually there are 4 Touhou games on the Switch right now in English... technically.

You see, because Touhou is a Doujin series, the creator ZUN holds much less strict copyright enforcment compared to a more traditional game. So long as certain guidelines are met, anyone can make Touhou games, manga, art, etc.

The four games currently on Switch are unofficial fan projects that are published by Nippon Ichi, who got an agreement by ZUN to publish certain Touhou games on the Playstation beforehand. They would latter on get permission to publish it on other platforms and get translation work done on them.

Kobuto V Burst Battle is notable for being the second most downloaded title in it's release week, beaten only by a 3 or 4 week old Mario Odyssey. That said, most fans find it to be average at best. It was decent for it's time, but as a fighting game there is better.

Genso Wanderer Reloaded is typically regarded as the best of the Switch games currently on there, althoug as a laberanthine-ish RPG it's not quite reflective of what is typical of Touhou; Azure Reflections is more or less the official start of the franchise reinterpreted as a horizontal shooter instead of a vertical shooter, with elements to make it easier for beginners.

If you want to play the official games, 3 of them are currently on Steam. Antimony of Common Flowers is an official fighting game spin off with an unusual concept of being mid-air all the time. Hidden Star in Four Seasons is a more traditional vertical shooter the series is known for. Violet Detector is a more unusual spin off involving using a camera to take pictures to remove bullets and defeat enemies in a a vertical shooter fashion.
Just be aware, though, that only Antimony in Common Flowers has English, and the translation itself is questionable. If you want a better translation or one at all, a quick google search should bring you to it.
Hmm, so it would appear that her appearance overseas is a bit of a gray/grey area, huh? That would help with the exposure, but now it just remains to be seen if the unofficial fan projects help her or not...

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Reimu

Chance: 0%
If we get an indie in Smash, it almost surely won't be her. I think Shantae, Shovel Knight, and (unfortunately) Steve are far ahead of her on the food chain. But that said, there's not much reason in only comparing her to indies; it's not like they're gonna reserve a spot specifically for an indie, so indies are not competing against each other as much as they are against other companies and characters. NoJ picking characters and respectable popularity seem to be the main things that Reimu has; you can argue all you want about how much those things help her, but at the end of the day there's a lot of characters who outrank her in the popularity arena. Simply put, NoJ has much bigger fish to fry than Reimu.

No thanks on Reimu. She's not Nintendo, she's not a gaming icon on the level of Sonic or Pac-Man, and she's not especially recognizable outside of Japan; yeah, it's hard for me to rate her highly. Uniqueness? Sure, fine, but there are plenty of others who have that plus way better credentials in my eyes.

Noms: Andy x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I forgot to post in the Reimu's Day; but hey; I'm happy to see I actually arrived before it finished.

Reimu Hakurei

Chance: 15%

Touhou is a quite strange franchise popularity-wise; I would say though, this series has managed to stand the past of the time; and having quite a lot of games and recognition despite being technically a niche franchise... It's weird in the overall spectrum of potential Third Party because she technically accomplish the main criteria for a Third-Party; but overall she is a character that would be unknown territory for Smash Bros, because of the lack of important relationships with Nintendo other that some fan-games and a Namco Game with her as a Guest (BTW; for a Third Party AAA to use Reimu, they actually need the permision of ZUN himself as far as I remember; so they aren't unknown to him and his fanbase though).

Want: 70%

I would really like to see a Touhou Character in Smash; and all the potential she has with her projectiles; it would create a very wacky moveset XD.

___

Predictions:

Reaper (Right?): 1.4%

___

Okay I finish nominating one of the 2channel "meme picks", it's now time to go for the other one... SEIBA!

Nominations:

Saber/Altria (Fate/Series) x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Reimu

12% Chance

Reimu is one of the most unique characters we have rated so far in regards to her situation. Touhou has been such a long running indie franchise and is pretty much synonymous with the bullet hell genre.

That being said, she is very much a niche pick. That is a boon and a curse. Her obscurity in the west also hurts her.

Honestly aside from Undertale I do not see any other indies besides Reimu as likely.

100% want

A bullet hell character? Yes please! I love me some bullet hells and she is a poster child for them. Also gives Touhou more of a push, and that series has an amazing soundtrack.

Tracer x 5

Day over Reaper day.

D

Deleted member

Reaper:
Chance:
0%, Overwatch is a popular series, but I don't think it will get a rep, and even if so everyone knows Tracer will come way b4 Reaper. And even if Overwatch got 2 reps I'm 100% certain Winston will come b4 Reaper. In that sense I don't really see it happening.

Want: 0% (Pitchforks raised) Please don't kill me! Please don't kill me! let me explain! (Pitchforks lowered)...

...I don't like edgy characters (Pitch forks raised). Welp here's my death, but I just don't really like Edgy characters, and Reaper always bored me, he just the exact thing you get when the teen going through an emo fase designs a character, foopin "Reaper" man. The only unique thing this guy gots is the fact that he uses shot guns instead of a scythe, that it. I honestly don't care about Reaper and he's the one character in Overwatch I legitimately don't care about (Besides Moira). If we were to get any grim reaper like character PLEASE make it Skeletor (He-Man) or The one from Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Nominations: Freddi Fish and Luther x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Note that this is a dream pick that will never happen, so don't be afraid to drop a zero. Here's the moveset I created for my Overwatch main :)

THE GRAVE CANNOT HOLD ME...

REAPER IS READY TO KILL!

Who the hell is this guy!?

Gabriel Reyes was a military soldier and former agent of Overwatch who served to make peace between humans and omnics during the Omnic Crisis. He soon started to deny orders and betray the people who were by his side in war, and join Blackwatch. During that time, controversial geneticist Moira O'Deorain experimented on Reyes, causing his cells to decay and regenerate at an uncontrollable rate. He has proceeded to betray and kill the people working with him multiple times later after major events happened within the organization. Once Overwatch ultimately collapsed, Reyes became the black robed terrorist known as the Reaper. He would hide in the shadows and kill anyone in his path. Survivors described him as a black shadow ghosting unscathed through the most hellish battlefields. People tracking his movements began to notice a pattern of hunting down former Overwatch agents, and he indeed had a list of agents that he intended to kill. He's also a major edgelord!

Why should he be in Smash?

Reaper is one of the most important characters of the game's story, and is responsible for many of the major events that led to Overwatch's collapse. He is one of the biggest villains in the game, and was barely beaten out by Doomfist. He can deal massive amounts of damage with his Hellfire Shotguns, and can transform into a ghost to teleport and become immune to damage. He can also steal the souls of his enemies to regenerate his health. His massive damage and the ability to kill high health tanks made him my favorite hero, and my second most wanted character for Smash Bros.

Chances... or lack there of.

Sadly, Reaper's chances are pretty much dead. (Pun intended) Being third party doesn't help either. The main mascot Tracer isn't even in the game yet, and she has an OK shot of making it in. The only two ways of Reaper EVER making it for DLC is if he were included in a 2 in 1 pack for the fighter pass along with Tracer (which isn't likely in the first place), or he could join for season 2 of the fighter pass.

Moveset Potential
The moment you all have been waiting for... how the hell is he gonna' fight in this game?
Well I'm here to show you how!
NOTE: This is a work in progress, and moveset is subject to change at any given time.

Special Mechanic: The Reaping
Whenever Reaper does damage with any attack, he has a 50% chance to heal half of the health equal to the damage he just dealt.

Neutral Special: Hellfire Blast
Reaper's only long distance projectile, it can be charged for 2 seconds maximum. Once fully charged, it will release automatically. You can also shoot smaller Hellfire Bursts by releasing B early. The projectile looks exactly like his old Soul Globe mechanic before it got reworked to lifesteal in his home game. Fully charged: 15%.

Side Special: Phantom Charge
Reaper enters his Wraith form and charges straight for the opponent to unload his shotguns in the enemy's face. It can deal about 12-20% damage, but if you miss, you can be left vulnerable while Reaper is flailing his shotguns in the air for 1.5 seconds.

Up Special: Shadow Warp
It's self explanatory. It's a teleporting recovery like Zelda, Mewtwo, and Palutena's recoveries, and it deals a light 6% damage to any nearby enemies when he finishes the warp.

Down Special: Wraith Form
A counter move!? How dare you put a counter move on this character!? Unlike most counters, this one is VERY unique. Reaper enters Wraith form and can freely move around the stage for 5 seconds. If an enemy attacks him in this form, he will negate the damage and attack for double the damage of the enemy's attack. To avoid players spamming and abusing the move, it has a 10 second cooldown between uses that will appear next to his health percentage. If the player dares to use this move during the cooldown, Reaper will look at the camera and shrug at you, leaving you vulnerable.

Final Smash: Death Blossom
Reaper emits a big cloud of smoke around himself, (Just as big as Ashley's) and all enemies trapped in the smoke will experience a world of pain while Reaper shouts his signature quote: "DIE DIE DIE!" Deals about 40% to each player.

Jab: 4 hits with a shotgun. 14% total.

Smash Attacks

Forward Smash: A simple shotgun blast. 19%
Up Smash: Shotgun blast from above, then a toss of the shotgun. 17% + 4%
Down Smash: Two shotgun blasts of Hellfire next to Reaper's feet on the ground, then both shotguns get tossed to the side.
18% + 4%

Grab: Reaper grabs the enemy with his hand and chokes the enemy for a pummel. 4% grab and 3% pummel.
Up Throw: Underhanded swing. 8%
Forward Throw: A simple overhanded throw. 9%
Down Throw: Two shotgun blasts in the face while the enemy is lying on the ground. 15%
Back Throw: A kick with a shotgun blast. 6% + 8%

Aerials

Neutral Air: Rotary swing with shotgun. 7%
Forward Air: Overhead swing with shotgun. Can meteor. 9%
Back Air: Backwards kick. 9%
Down Air: Downward dive with shotgun blast. Meteors, but risky. 11%

TAUNTS!

Up Taunt: Cackle (Maniacal laughter emote in game)
Side Taunt: Slice (Emote in game where Reaper pretends to slice his neck with his finger)

Down Taunt: Shrug (Victory pose in game)

VICTORY ANIMATIONS
1: Maniacal Cackling
2: Shadow Step
3: Eternal Rest

SUPPORT REAPER FOR SMASH BROS NOW!

Edgy McEdgelord
Chance: 0.5%
Want: 100%

Im a big fan of Overwatch, and I would love to have any Overwatch hero playable in Smash! My main hero is Reaper, due to his massive damage output and lifesteal ability. He is a major edgelord like Shadow, but he can be funny with his famous shrug and being able to produce shotguns out of thin air. He also cracks funny voice lines when he gets a kill. As I stated above, fighter pass 2 is the place where Reaper can potentially make it, but that's only if Tracer makes it first. He makes more sense as a secondary choice due to being a major villain of the game and not being the main mascot. The only chance of him ever getting in season 1, is if he is included in a 2-in-1 package with Tracer, but that will probably never happen. So yeah, his chances are dead. (Pun intended.) I already explained my 100% want score, so I'll move on now.

Tracer x5 (Surprised she wasn't on the fixed schedule)

Grovyle (PMD) 1.11%

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Blooregard Q. Kazoo
Reaper suffers from one very major problem:
He's not Tracer.
But seriously, if we got any Overwatch character (which we won't), it would be her. Reaper getting in before Tracer would be like E. Honda getting in before Ryu.
Want: 1%
Overwatch should stay as far away from Smash as possible in my opinion. But I'll give Reaper a single point just because I like Keith Ferguson.

Grovyle prediction: 2.53%
Noms: Erdrick x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don’t know any Reaper whips so my joke title for today is ‘Heroes never need high noon!’

Overwatch getting in is a big if. Would require dealing with Activision/Blizzard, which means Overwatch is in competition with guys like Crash and Spyro, the Call of Duty franchise, and Blizzard’s primarily PC franchises (namely stuff like War/Starcraft and Diablo). Beyond Crash and Spyro (who, I’ll point out, are on the Activision side of the equation), Overwatch has the strongest standing, but that doesn’t mean much. After all, it’s not a franchise as much as a single game, and one that, for whatever reason, isn’t on Switch yet. So I’d say chances are pretty much nonexistent for Overwatch, but they are literally nonexistent for Reaper, as Tracer would be the first to join and for second he has competition.

Want: 5%
Yeah, if Overwatch ever gets in (which, hey, I’m not against, as it’s an important game with iconic characters), I’m good with Tracer and nothing else. Reaper would be iconic, but with the franchise’s relative youth I don’t think it justifies a second character.

Nominations: No fan favoritesx5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Apologies for the double day, was moving back into college. Carry on.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The Grim Advantages of D. Va and Tracer

grim advantages.png

Chance: 0.1%
If we were to ever get an Overwatch rep it would most likely be Tracer since she’s considered to be the mascot of the game. Aside from her the only Overwatch character I can see making it into Smash would be D. Va since she's arguably even more popular than Tracer. I honestly can't see any Overwatch character making it into Smash before those two. From what I've seen Reaper is not all that popular compared to the other heroes in terms of both his character and player usage stats. He'd definitely be overshadowed by Tracer and D. Va not to mention other more popular characters like Widowmaker, McCree, Mercy, and Lucio to name a few.

If all of this wasn't bad enough for Reaper, there's also the chance that Blizzard would add a Diablo rep into Smash instead of an Overwatch one. But that's a discussion for another day.

Overwatch has so many colorful and vibrant characters to choose from that getting Reaper over someone like Tracer or D. Va would feel like a slap to the face. I never really cared about Reaper and I would really hate if he made it in before the aforementioned characters.

Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon) chance prediction: 1.09%

Nominations:
Andy (Advance Wars) x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Speculation goes deeper, let's talk Reaper

It's not often I'd give a hard 0% to a character, but just looking at this from the perspective of this series and this character:
a. Not being in Smash at the moment of this post
b. Not being considered the main character of the series
c. Having questionable popularity in the series aside from that
Yeah, this Reaper has a better chance of losing a limbo contest to two children.

As it is, I have no experience with Overwatch. I could maybe come around to the idea of a character from the series being in Smash in some form, maybe, but Reaper certainly isn't the character I'd pick. If I had to, I'd pick the arguable face of Overwatch, Tracer.

Predictions:
Remember when we all thought Decidueye was a lock? Good times. As for the other Grass character, Decidueye's absence will probably help him.
Grovyle PMD: 2.01%

Noms: Professor Hector x2, Q*Bert x3

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Last edited:
Top Bottom