• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
1. Maybe it's a good idea to take a short break to cover the backlog of calculations. Probably no major revelations will be forthcoming until the launch, since the full AT list is released and it's unlikely much relevant info is lurking in the movesets of previously unplayed characters in the full roster demo. This is the best opportunity to take a break before DLC announcements are over...

2. Maybe when DLC speculation begins it should be in a new thread?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
My satisfaction scores for the characters:

Ken: 100%

I've wanted to see Ken in Smash as an alternate costume for Ryu back when the latter was first leaked, and I was disappointed that he didn't make into Smash 4 that way. When the Echo fighters concept for Smash Ultimate was revealed, it gave me new hope to see Ken in Smash. He'd make the perfect Echo for Ryu!

And what you know it, he made it into Smash Ultimate like I imagined! While I still haven't mastered playing Ryu because of his complex combo-game and thus it means I probably won't be playing Ken that much, I'm still really glad Ken made it in! I really like his character too, so that also helped with my overall joy of seeing him in Smash!

Incineroar: 35%

He's my least favorite of the Alola starters. Add to the fact that as I was rooting for Primarina to be the Alola rep (even though I was well aware she was the least likely of the Alola starters to make the cut) and also somewhat rooted for Decidueye, and you can imagine I wasn't completely on board the Incineroar train.

But I must say, Incineroar's Smash model looks on-point! I also like how expressive it is during battle with all those poses it does. Smash definitely stayed true to its vibrant personality! Incineroar's inclusion also means we finally have a true grappler/wrestler in Smash, so that's pretty neat! His reveal trailer was pretty cool too!

Incineroar has some cool aspects in Smash Ultimate, but it's not a character that I really want to play. I am quite happy for his fans though! Incineroar fans had it rough those early months of speculation back when the Decidueye bandwagon was at its high point, so it's nice to see the Incineroar getting what they wanted after a long, tough, and nail-biting road.

Piranha Plant: 60%

A character I never expected to see in Smash. I don't care much for Piranha Plant myself, but from the gameplay I've seen of it so far, it looks pretty fun with its insanely good reach in some of its attacks! I definitely want to try the character out when it is released!

Another thing I'm happy about Piranha Plant, particularly as a Primarina supporter: its another character that supports the notion a character doesn't need feet to dash on the battlefield!

Last edited:

KeyOh

Smash Cadet
Ken: 95%
Pretty much everything you could ask for out of an echo fighter. He made perfect sense ever since we were introduced to the concept. In 4 something about Ryu felt slightly off gameplay-wise, so I'm hoping the differences Ken has will fix that. My only disappointment is that he wasn't able to bring Shadow with him, but that's obviously not his fault.

Incineroar: 50%
I don't think any Pokemon reps they add will ever seriously interest me at this point. I would have preferred if they just skipped one for once, but I guess that's not an option. That being said, Incineroar definitely does a good job setting himself apart from other fighters. You can't really go wrong with a grapple-focused fighter with poses built into his moveset. I'll probably never play him, but if we're going to have a Pokemon every game, I'm fine if they're this fun to watch.

Piranha Plant: 35%
I love the inclusions that are obviously meant to be a completely unexpected or funny choice. This really just feels like a bit too much though. Out of all the recognizable Mario enemies to choose, a Piranha Plant? A Piranha Plant made it to playable status before Toad/Captain Toad and Paper Mario? Why choose a basic Piranha Plant instead of Petey? I spent its entire trailer expecting it to be some weird joke, but nope, it's actually a fighter. I do think its moveset at least seems kind of fun, and I enjoy the Paper Mario reference. At the very least, I can appreciate that now nobody can complain about Bandana Dee being a generic enemy character (even though he never was :laugh:).

Spirits: 45%
They seem kind of fun I guess, but I don't really see myself dedicating a ton of time to them. They just feel like the custom equipment from Smash 4 but now with .pngs of cool characters attached to them. What really bothers me is that trophies are completely gone now. I had a suspicion that something was up when we hadn't seen a single trophy two months before launch, but it still feels weird. Since Melee, I've seen trophies as one of the most important parts of Smash not related to gameplay, so it's disappointing to see them gone

World of Light: 90%
I loved that cinematic, easily the best part of the Direct. However, I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay. It seems to be a heavily enhanced version of event matches. I'm sure that will be fun, but I don't see myself 100%ing it if it's just event match after event match. Fully fledged boss fights returning is great though, I really didn't like how bosses turned out in Smash 4. I hope they'll find some way to integrate DLC characters into the game mode, but I won't get my hopes up for that. The implication that there's no cutscenes is understandable, but a tad disappointing. I'm hoping there's at least some sort of ending cinematic.

Simon
Richter
King K. Rool
Ridley
Inkling
Ken
Dark Samus
Incineroar
Isabelle
Piranha Plant
Chrom
Daisy

CrimsonFlash

Smash Cadet
Incineroar: 40%
gen 7 pokemon rep, I think the pro wrestler style adds a unique new dynamic to the game and his posing for the audience is just great, I however care very little for incineroar, I would never have requested him and if I was asked I would have recommended it would be decidueye as I just feel like he could have added a unique new style to the game (or maybe not now that I think about it)

Ken: 50%
it's ken, there really isn't much to say, we expected him, the ken leak was real to nobodies surprise.

Piranha Plant: ??%
I really don't know how to feel about this one, I admit that were this any other smash bros I wouldn't have cared, but after those soul crushing deconfirmations it is really hard to take this one, on one hand he is a delightfully insane concept, but on the other I wonder how many characters people actually wanted were placed on the block for his sake.

as for the direct itself 35%, everyone who wasn't confirmed was deconfirmed, and everyone who was confirmed was killed, can't wait for kirby to get us out of this pickle. spirits looks interesting though I am curious, I am hoping for tabuu to return.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Incineroar: 95%
He's awesome, I don't know what else I can say, he's too cool. A bit sad that we knew he was coming.

Ken: 80%
We were so sure about him that having no surprise was kinda sad. But he's my main on Street Fighter so, that's cool.

Piranha Plant: 75%
I though about it. At first I was like "okay **** this i'm outta here" and a part of me is still convinced that this is a dumb choice. But she looks fun to play, so yeah, I'm cool with her inclusion.

But the direct was still terrible in my opinion. Kenceneroar trailer was cool, Piranaha Plant was cool. The rest is awful.

Spirits mode: 0%
It's just boring in my opinion, I don't like these glorified stickers.

World of Light: 0%
Boring and I didn't find the cinematic exciting at all. It looks great and that's pretty much it.

Direct satisfaction rating: 10%

Last edited:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Ken: 95%
I didn't ask for him but I'm glad he's here. Ken's a cool guy and he looks good here, too. My only problem is that he seems to be a better Ryu.

Incineroar: 48% ?
Alola and Sun/Moon is one of my favorites but I had a lot of other Pokemon I wanted to see. I don't hate it (and I probably would have picked it over Decidueye) but I can't help but feel it was a forced inclusion, even though it has real fans. It looks better than it usually does. I thought it might be too similar to Bowser but it doesn't feel like it?

Piranha Plant: 2%
It's weird, I'm usually all for these oddball characters but something about PP doesn't work for me. Part of it's because Isabelle already covers everything I wanted from an unusual fighter. I don't think we needed to prove that anything can be a fighter, either. I think's it's the first time I've been disappointed in a fighter considering what else we could have had. Oh well, at least it's not Steve or Sans.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Ken: 80%

He is the original Fighting Game clone. And he still manages to be different enough to be interesting. And they gave him a GOOD model too!

Incineroar: 65%

While his wrestling moves are pretty interesting, the main problem was that he was the last base fighter revealed instead of another well received newcomer like K. Rool, Simon & Richter, or Ridley and being the 10th Pokemon Fighter which is too many IMO. And that fur is also pretty weird looking too.

Piranha Plant: 85%

Honestly the best of the three revealed newcomers. It seemed so stupid at first, but Sakurai worked his magic and managed to make him look interesting and unique to play as.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Ken: %50
Meh, an echo you could have seen coming from space.

Incenaroar: %0
Flavor of the month shillmon that will be forgotten by the next Pokemon gen. Why does Gamefreak get to shove their souless shillmons into every Smash game? Nobody wanted him but everyone expected him because Gamefreak is almost comically predictable.

Piranha Plant: %0
Honestly a slap in the face when you see how many characters people actually wanted are still assist trophies. The one thing that actually should have been an assist trophy is added as an actual fighter. It's like Sakurai was actually trying to spite as many fanbases as he could. Oh and not to mention you'll eventually have to pay money for that middle finger if you don't get him during his free window.

Overall a completely garbage group of characters to save for the final reveals. Shouldn't even be surprised after the Corrin/Bayonetta fiasco I guess.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Since I forgot to do this before, I will do my character rankings.

Simon - 95%
Richter - 95%
Ridley - 95%
King K. Rool - 95%
Piranha Plant - 80%
Chrom - 75%
Inkling - 75%
Incineroar - 65%
Isabelle - 65%
Ken - 55%
Dark Samus - 50%
Daisy - 25%

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Satisfaction Ratings

Ken: 75%
A relatively inoffensive and understandable inclusion, and a better version of a character I occasionally like to play as. I expected him, and he looks pretty cool. Nice job, Sakurai.

Incineroar: 60%
I saved my opinion on Incineroar until I got to see him in action, undeterred by my opinions on Vergeben or the Box Theory.

As far as his playstyle goes, he has won me over. He looks interesting, and I love all the posing and showboating after every attack. It's pretty great.

On the other hand, I maintain that there are even more interesting Gen 7 Pokemon than yet another Fire Starter. Not sure if Sakurai is aware of this, but Sun & Moon introduced crazy alien Pokemon from another dimension. If anything sets Gen 7 apart, in my opinion, it's that.

Piranha Plant: 75%
As I explained in the Ashley thread, I am a simple man: show me a Nintendo character with a fun moveset and I'm sold. And I don't think the roster should have a "no mooks" policy. If there's a really interesting and famous VG enemy with an incredibly diverse moveset background, then I think they're fair game, and Piranha Plant matches that prerequisite to a T. And to win me over even further, his Final Smash is one of my favorite Mario characters. Truly, Sakurai has taken a strange premise and created yet another newcomer that might become my main.

On the flip side, I completely sympathize with all the people who look at PP and see the polka-dotted mouth-face of a mook that could've easily been their favorite character. That is a fair point, in my opinion: for a game that was built up to be the end-all of fanservice, a left-fielder like Piranha Plant made it in while Waluigi, Lyn, Bomberman, Isaac, Skull Kid, Shadow, and ASHLEY got the shaft, yet again. Just about every character I could possibly give a crap about for DLC is disconfirmed, while Piranha Plant is an actual fixture of Ultimate's roster. Yeah, I get that, and it does sting a bit. But he looks fun, at the end of the day.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Only Ken.png

Ken - 95% - I have no connection to him and never played Ryu. After sleeping on it some more, I bumped up his score that I gave him on the wrong day. He deserves it really as one of the first echoes in existence. He looks cool and made people happy.

nurse.png

Incineroar - 100% - He's flat out amazing. Looks awesome and had a awesome trailer. His Final Smash is great. He's got all the flaunting and over the top wrestler motifs built in. People are going to hate on him, but he delivered full punch on something we didn't have and did an amazing job at it. We got a wrestling heel! I liked Rawk the Hawk quite a bit back in the day, and this fluffy muscle cat is crushing it.

omg.png

Piranha Plant - 100% - He's growing on me more and more. He's that character they picked to be far out there and unexpected. And pretty much nobody did!!! He looks very well made and looks like fun. Obviously there is concern on "Deserving" to be in Smash, but I think he is a reminder in the end that the game is a fun fighting game with a wacky cast with some unexpected twists.

laughs.jpg

Characters Overall - We have a huge cast of veterans with some awesome newcomers. So Ken didn't tickle you? Incineroar wasn't your top pick? Piranha Plant got your tongue? And? Everyone has characters they don't like or want less than others. Stop undermining the other fan bases trying to act like your pick is some beloved god that the mere thought of someone else getting is is purely wrong and upsetting. Being open minded and not super petty to the newcomers that don't fit your fancy will make the series more enjoyable instead of becoming jaded.

BUT THEY SHOULDN'T OF BEEN THE LAST REVEALS! - Pretty sure Sakurai confirmed this direct that they are #'d and revealed as they were added to the roster. These boys were simply the last to be finished.

lasers.png
squids.png

World of Light (Kirby The Sequel) - 80% (?) - Have to see more if it to really decide. What confuses me is it seems like Event matches on a board map, but that was kind of what Spirits mode was to? I'm confused on it. Anyways it's some cool single player stuff to try out! Watching everyone die was rough though. I'm still willing to hope Peach offered the death laser some tea and was spared. Would of been better than Kirby being the survivor... again.

I'm down for evil Isabelle though, after all she didn't sign up for this. Which by the way, I didn't care for Villager and do not play Animal Crossing. Instead of belittling and attacking the character I welcomed her into the cast and now love the little pup. And I'm already warming up to Ken as well who I didn't have any strong feelings for. Enjoying what we have is more important than fretting about what else we could of had.

Isabelle Got 10 to Kill.jpg

(PS - Smash fan art is fun to browse.)

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over.

Now here’s a fun day, before we do dlc. What were your favorite days of RTC this cycle? Why so?

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
This one is a tough one... I'm gonna have to say Nihilego. Coincidentally, this is the day I also started doing RTC with my most wanted also being an ultra beast. I came here after watching Billybae10K Billybae10K 's RTC videos. I saw a ton of potential with this fighter and I will copy-paste my first day here back in August.
Nihilego

Chance: 10%
While there are other Pokémon that are getting more attention, such as Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, and supposedly Gardevoir and Gothitelle, I could see Nihilego being shoehorned in as a wildcard character during a Pokémon newcomer's trailer as an invader, similar to Richter in Simon's trailer. But there's also another Ultra Beast that is more fit for Smash (Buzzwole), and Nihilego isn't the most popular beast, so I'm playing it safe with a 10%.

Want: 95%
While my favorite Ultra Beast and my most wanted newcomer is Xurkitree, I would be really happy if any of the Ultra Beasts made it into Smash Bros in some way, as playable, Pokeball, or even a stage boss. Nihilego would also make a very interesting character with an original moveset. It could have moves such as Leech Life where it would latch onto a fighter's head and drain their health to recover its own, Sludge Wave as either a laser or rush attack, etc.
Also just for fun, I will talk about my least favorite: Hanafuda "character"
When I was doing my research, I though Hanafuda was some Japanese exclusive game along the likes of Fire Emblem or something. This wasn't even a character, rather a card game developed by Nintendo before video games existed. It had ZERO moveset potential, and had nothing to do with video games, unlike R.O.B. How would this make a good newcomer? A deck of cards with arms and legs? It's a piece of Nintendo history, and that's it. It's history. Even so, I didn't find any visible characters that played any role whatsoever in this card game. Just drawings of people slapped onto the cards.

Super excited for DLC ratings to start soon

Nominations: Ya Boi Xurkitree x5
Still going strong...

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Day over.

Now here’s a fun day, before we do dlc. What were your favorite days of RTC this cycle? Why so?
I'm not sure if I have a particular favorite day to read what people talk about; but I always liked the days where there was a lot of discussion :D

In a more personal way I think Micaiah's Day was my favorite just for the fact it makes me feel... emotional... particularly emotional to talk about her; even if the rest of the people would just see it as a burden to rate her.

It's finally her day! It's Micaiah's time!

Let's begin

The Chances.

Micaiah is a character in a hard position for a playable spot because she doesn't have the same recency that a character like (nowadays) Celica has, but Micaiah has some stuff on her side I would like to post some of them.

Micaiah is filled with niches and gimmicks that hadn't be replicate together, and she of course, is one of the Fire Emblem Main Characters.

1.- Micaiah is a user of Magic (Light Magic)
In the Fire Emblem Series exists different Light Magic Tomes, and like the anima tomes there exists tomes with different functions like being highly powerful but make you vulnerable (Aura), Long-Range Magic (Purge) and of course there are the ol'reliable ones that doesn't have particular disadvantages or advantages...

"But Robin alredy does the magic stuff"

Robin is more like a Mystical Knight, or whatever you think is the main focus in the moveset, the magic is a part of important of their gimmick, but they are essencially sword-user in most of their animations; Micaiah is a complete magic user that doesn't use swords, and she doesn't need them anyway; in fact, the lack of a sword make Micaiah more flexible in the way she can use the animations of her attacks to create some unusual hitboxes not possible with a weapon that is attached to the user.

But Magic isn't limited just to flashy movements, Micaiah also has in her side other way of using her power.

2.- Micaiah is a user of the Utility-Based Magical Staves.
The staves are one of the most useful tools you can find in a Fire Emblem because of their special uses. There are some very straighforward like the ones that heals HP or Status Ailments. But there are also some that offer many possibilities; Warping and Rescuing Units can be used to move units at positions that would otherwise being impossible, making them key to create powerful strategies to beat even the hardest maps.

Micaiah is the only lord that is actually associated (but not as much as the Light Magic) with Staves, and they're one of the key elements in the franchise (the Staves and their strategies are as old as FE1) that would be represented in some way.

3.- Micaiah's signature abilities.
Alongside the more well known use of Magic and Staves that appear across the series; Micaiah has her own abilities beyond these. Micaiah has Corona (also know as: Dawn Light), that is the name of the Micaiah's Proc Skill that does additional damage (more specifically, ignores the enemy's Magic Resistence) and can blind the enemies affected; in her game she isn't the only character that uses this skill, but unless you're very unlucky (getting Corona'd by Lekain or Sephiran), it's unlikely you ended up seeing someone using the ability that isn't her.

When casting Corona, Micaiah creates a light sphere above her.

Micaiah also has another abilitiy, and this one is completely unique to her: Sacrifice (also known as: Healing Hands), this is a tricky skill, it's effect (as their names would indicate), is a healing skill that gives HP to other units; quite interesting

Also, Micaiah has her own personal magic tome: Thani, which would be an important element of how Micaiah would work in Smash Bros.

I did for Source Gaming a moveset exploring many of these ideas: http://sourcegaming.info/2016/12/22/ds-micaiah/

After explaining the gameplay stuff, the things that would interest Sakurai for a new character, it's time to explore other points; the things that helps or damages her chances.

Let's start with the negatives.

Micaiah hasn't have a new appearance in a Main Game since Awakening, and that was essencially a cameo; Micaiah most notable appearance in the last years was in the Fire Emblem Heroes some months ago (January 2018) and her moment as a Main Character being in Radiant Dawn 11 years ago (February 2007)

She is evidently behind some other people for a spot in the next Smash Bros; whoever is the New Fire Emblem Character from that Switch Game, and there would be another choices to consider too.

These are quite heavy problems, but Micaiah still has some things in her side.

Now the positives.

Something important for a character selection, it's stand out in the roster; Micaiah has a similar anime aesthetic to the rest of the Fire Emblem Character, so, isn't hard to see a which franchises she belongs, but the rest of her design makes her feel completely different from the usual Fire Emblem protags.

Also, related with her design, being a original female character kind of helps I guess.

Micaiah surprisingly got some support during the ballot time, as it was show for the Source Gaming Posts about it... Nothing super special, but the support actually exists.

And the last thing to consider... it's the Smash Bros Switch Weird timing; that ended ups hurting heavily the Fire Emblem Switch Protag, we don't even know if the game will still be released in 2018 (as DLC is practically is likely if the character is unique enough)

And so, I decided to give her a 15% Chance rate... she is definitely unlikely, but she just can't be ignored, the potential is here, waiting to be found.

The Want

Micaiah is very important to me, she is the light that guided me to don't be a lazy person all the time; after knowing her, I start feeling a special attachment to her, even before I played her game, and I was already thinking how she would work as a Smash Character, and then... when I finally played her game; against my own fears of ended up don't like her; essencially signed for life my love for Micaiah. Now I dedicate to write and share stuff to show how Micaiah would work in Smash Bros, to help other people understand her character, and in general share Micaiah Love.

Maybe in the past I would have give 100% to other characters, but nowadays the only character I want with a burning passion is her. I love Micaiah in every way possible, I love her simple but extremely stylish and beautiful design, I love her character, I found her quite a charming person with many interesting aspects to see when you read the story, and of course, I love the fact she is a spellcaster unlike most of the Main Characters, I love my magic-based stuff in every single game I played.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
My favorite RTC day would probably have to be Kyo's since I kept nominating him and was able to flesh him out in a pretty lengthy post.

Kyo Kusanagi

Since just about everyone so far has been abstaining on him it's clear he's not that well-known here which is completely understandable. I'll use this post to introduce KoF/Kyo briefly while also talking about my chance/want ratings:

So first off, The King of Fighters is one of SNK's most notable fighting game series. It utilizes 3v3 fighting where you switch to the next character if your character is KO'd (basically just squad strike in Smash Ultimate). With the exception of a few games (namely 2001 and XII), the KoF titles are incredibly fun to play through.

If you have a Switch you should check out KoF 98 (regarded as one of the most balanced FGs of all time) and if you have Steam check out 98 UM, 2002 UM, and XIII (they can run on basically any computer). All of those games are amazing and KoF XIII has some of the best sprite animation I have ever seen in a videogame period. XIV is also good though it isn't as populated online.

Kyo is the main protagonist of SNK's long-running series. As a descendant of the Kusanagi clan, he can incorporate flame-based moves into his already impressive melee attacks. He enters every KoF tournament in the hopes of claiming the self-proclaimed title every. Of course each tournament has some shady stuff going on behind the scenes, and starting with KoF 95 Kyo has frequently clashed with his cooler looking rival Iori.

Oh yeah and there are also a crap ton of Kyo clones in the series, both figuratively (Shingo) and literally due to when he got abducted by NESTS who cloned him in KoF 99. Maybe we can expect them as echos when Kyo becomes playable in the far off future.

Dating back to his debut in the King of Fighters 94, Kyo is easily one of the most popular SNK characters among Terry, Mai, and Geese. He has made many appearances in other games and was brought back into the spotlight with the release of KoF XIV. But how will that popularity help his chances in Smash?

Chance: 1%
Unfortunately, the chances of seeing everyone’s favorite high-school delinquent who can wield fire powers and also enters a 3v3 tournament every year are incredibly low. Some things he does have going for him for whatever they’re worth:
  • The King of Fighters games are insanely popular in China and Latin American countries. If you want to get an idea of how big it is in China, the 2014 Dayou Cup Grand Finals of KoF 97 racked over 500,000 views which was a record for fighting game views (source). To compare, Evo's biggest viewership was with FighterZ this August which had roughly 250,000 views. Also KoF 97 recently got a re-release for modern systems since it was so big in China.
  • SNK has a fairly strong relationship with Nintendo as many of their games (including many of the KoF games) are available on the Wii/U VC and the Switch. They also released SNK Heroines on the Switch last month and are releasing the Switch exclusive 40th anniversary collection later this year.
  • SNK’s recent revival to their glory days with the release of KoF XIV and the new Samurai Shodown game releasing next year has given the company a renewed interest in the west (though it is admittedly slow at the moment).
  • SNK has done a ton of crossovers featuring their popular characters in the past, most notably with the Capcom vs SNK games. They’ve also done crossovers featuring individual characters such as Geese in Tekken 7, Mai in Dead or Alive 5, Terry in EX Fighting Layer, and Iori in Arcana Blood. Kyo is one of SNK’s most popular characters so it is odd that he hasn’t made a specific guest appearance yet (maybe they're holding him off for something but that's just a hunch).
  • They’ve let Kyo and other SNK characters appear in a ton of popular mobile games (including Brave Frontier) so I think they would be more than happy to allow Kyo into Smash for easy promotion.
  • Sakurai has played King of Fighters in the past and apparently was so good at KoF 95 that he would win about 50 matches in a row. He even recalled an incident where he destroyed a non-gamer couple in KoF 95 and felt guilty about it afterwards (source).
  • The King of Fighters was the first fighting game to utilize 3v3 fights, albeit switching characters once you are KO’d. Ultimate is introducing squad strike mode which is exactly how KoF plays (yeah I'm really grasping at straws at this point).
Sadly he is not too requested, is third-party, and would have to compete with Terry Bogard in regards to an SNK slot.

Oh, and he'd also have to compete with a little game series known as Tekken who is more likely to have another FG rep due to Bamco's involvement in Smash and Heihachi being considered for SSB4.

Want: 100%

What else would you expect from the guy who owns the Kyo support thread? Kyo is one of my all time favorite fighting game characters due to his rekka moveset and cocky personality. He'd translate into Smash very easily and would be a blast to use. Smash is lacking fighters with rekka-based movesets (the closest thing we have are the variants of Marth's side-B) and I think Kyo could easily bring a new and fun moveset to the table. Below is the concept I made for his rekka side-B to get an idea of how'd it go:

Another reason I would love Kyo in Smash is that means there is an excuse for SNK to add their amazing music into Smash. Seriously just listen to this stuff. Also if they included CvS2 music then we can get two of the most jammin' fighting game tracks of all time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will talk about Balloon Fighter in a separate post since my thoughts on Kyo took up most of it. For now I will say that Villager's up-B doesn't automatically deconfirm him.

Nominations: Kat & Ana x5

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Biased, but I'd probably go with Geno's last day. Productive and informed discussion, not a lot of hate votes... really, it just had the makings of a good day. Plus, I had the most to contribute to the thread on Geno's days, being my most wanted, so they were personally a lot more engaging for me.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Thwomp Day was best day that I participated in. Because it's hilarious looking back, not just because of Piranha Plant but also because of the Thwomp Assist a bunch of us thought he wouldn't even get.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I don't know if I could narrow it down to a specific day, but the Pre-E3 era was my favorite. Nobody was quite sure what the game was, so the scores were all over the place. Some people (like myself) thought it was going to be full over relevant picks like in 4, but there were some who saw the ballot characters coming.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Thwomp Day was best day that I participated in. Because it's hilarious looking back, not just because of Piranha Plant but also because of the Thwomp Assist a bunch of us thought he wouldn't even get.
Thwomp, while stupid was absolutely hilarious despite how mad people were that day. At least he got in somehow

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I guess Thwomp. If only because of what I said was pretty accurate to what would happen.
Thwomp just seems better suited as an Assist Trophy.
Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 2.15.05 PM.png

All it has is the prospect of a generic enemy from Super Mario getting added in over Waluigi. That amuses me, but there's just better options out there to choose.
maxresdefault.jpg

I also enjoyed burying Shantae. What good is being around for 16 years is when your debut game sent you down to obscurity for 8 years? What "history with Nintendo" is there to speak of?

StormC

Smash Hero
The August Direct was definitely the best to rate as almost everyone was really excited...and everyone who wasn’t had funny reactions.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
My favorite days were the ones where we got calculations.
Honorable mentions go to the King K. Rool satisfaction day, the Dunkey day, and Thwomp.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
On the topic of Shantae I have to say the Shantae/Dixie day back in September was easily the most toxic day of RTC. So much arguing about whether she'd be playable due to SK being an assist trophy and in the end she got a lesser role than him. I'm a big Shantae supporter myself but the arguments some people used to defend her possible inclusion were ridiculous (some people were even saying she's a gaming icon).

I'm curious what other people thought was the worst/most toxic day of RTC.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
On the topic of Shantae I have to say the Shantae/Dixie day back in September was easily the most toxic day of RTC. So much arguing about whether she'd be playable due to SK being an assist trophy and in the end she got a lesser role than him. I'm a big Shantae supporter myself but the arguments some people used to defend her possible inclusion were ridiculous (some people were even saying she's a gaming icon).

Just gonna copy-paste my Shantae rating from September and look back at it. Then I will discuss the most toxic day since I've been here.
SHANTAE
Chance: 60%
Want: 80%

Considering the ballot and WayForward allowing her inclusion (similar to Banjo) Shantae has a decent chance of making it into the roster. The only thing potentially holding her back is Shovel Knight being an assist trophy. He was the other slightly more popular form of indie representation being heavily requested, and seeing him becoming an assist trophy could mean the same fate for Shantae. But honestly, Shantae has been with Nintendo longer than Shovel Knight despite being less popular, and got her start on the Game Boy Color way back in the day. As for a want, she would be interesting with her various transformations, and she would use her hair for standard attacks. I've never played her games, but if she made it in, I would be happy for her fans.

Extremely late edit: I'm now a supporter lol

Nominations: Xurkitree x5
I made a support thread for it, so go check it out :)
I could always use more supporters so feel free to check out Ya Boi's support thread.

Shameless sellout out of the way, I mostly touched on the Smash Ballot and WayForward wanting her to get in the roster, similar to Banjo. I did touch on SK's AT only a little bit since it could've been a possible knock against her. After that I moved on to moveset potential. I agree tho, that day was pretty toxic.

My most toxic RTC day I've seen once again was the so-called HANAFUDA CHARACTER THAT DOESNT EXIST! (In Xander Mobus' voice) My god that day was pretty toxic... STORY TIME!
One day, when the ultra beast has awoken once again, the land was damaged from the Category 5 Hurricane Sans. Homes ripped to shreds, and animals looking for shelter. The weather was acting really strange this day as well. Local weathermen reported a strange phenomenon. It was raining double zeroes and abstains! The storm was caused by a stormcaster who decided to nominate "Hanafuda character"! The stormcaster was convinced that Hanafuda character was a LOCK for the base roster! No such character existed and the toxic storm lasted for 3 days than the expected one day! By the power of TCT~Phantom, the storm disappeared and there were spherical owls flying around! The RTC thread lived happily ever after! That is until the invasion of the Thwomps. The end!

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom

There are three that stuck out to me.

First was Mimikyus first day, if only due to outside drama getting roped into the thread. Other instances out outside drama have come up, but this one really felt toxic especially in hindsight.

Second was the second Geno day. At that point, things were real bad, lots of name calling. Honestly one of my least favorite days of RTC.

The absolute worst day was Steve’s first day. I had to remind people that the day was over and to move on. Multiple times. I shut things down hard since it was getting to be less of a debate and more of a toxic waste of a day. I got pms saying that I shoulda let the discussion play out but I stand by ending it and coming down hard.

Honorable mention for worst day is my 4 day absence. Would have been worse but toxicity>failure. Hanafuda was a **** show tho.

Favorite days

Blue Bowser/Thwomp

These days were great. Having everyone come together and bash on dumb ideas was fun. Blue Bowser got people upset enough for me to end the day early. Great time.

Spyro

Going on an essay to defend Spyro was great. Seeing people rate him higher because of me moving them was great. Rating my most wanted on a relatively toxic free day was great.

Dunkey

A fun April fools day that let me catch up on calcs and give everyone a good laugh.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sora was a fun day. And it pretty much being about negotiating with Disney and whatnot. Discussing on how on whether or not it's hard to get Sora in the first place, how much control would Disney have with kingdom Hearts content and Sora's moveset etc. With comparisons to games like MvC: I, my comparison with his appearance in Final Fantasy Record Keeper etc.

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh man, Shantae discussion. I dunno what it is about that character... it brings out a certain strand of overzealousness. You had people giving her 100% for chance. Then again, people were also giving Shadow 100%... anyway, I stand by my statement that western indies - and I mean indies that have stayed indie - will not be playable in Smash in the foreseable future, no matter how many hoops you jump through try to justify otherwise.

Remember when Rex/Pyra, Dixie, and Decidueye were the highest rated chances? Good times.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Shantae seemed to be a case where her supporters were totally convinced she'd be a fighter, and the people who didn't support her thought she wasn't happening. That's probably why it got so heated: it was people invested in her inclusion fighting against people who didn't really care.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm gonna take the easy road and say that any day after a major reveal was the best day. I just enjoy seeing what other people thought of the reveals, though I'll say this last one was probably the most divisive it ever got (for confirmed characters I mean).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Days that stuck out to me, in no real order:

After the 8.8 Direct. People were so happy back then. Dreams came true, and hopes were at an all time high (even if they would come crashing down later).

Ryu Hayabusa. Besides being a character I love, that was also when I started working nominations.

DeMille. Seeing so many people say they would like to see him included due to moveset potential alone was great, given that I expected tons of double zeroes.

Least favorite days would probably have to be the joke days like Blue Bowser, Lucas, Brash the Bear and Thwomp. Back then I found them increasingly boring and a waste of time, and in hindsight it feels worse because we actually got a character in the vein of those.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Sad to not have been here yesterday to rate the Direct's reveals.

My preferred day here was Terry Bogard's. Definitely enjoyed writing a long text for once.

Also, it's a sad thing too that we never got to rate the DLC Pass concept I was nominating. I should hang around here more often.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sad to not have been here yesterday to rate the Direct's reveals.

My preferred day here was Terry Bogard's. Definitely enjoyed writing a long text for once.

Also, it's a sad thing too that we've never got to rate the DLC Pass concept I was nominating. I should hang around here more often.
Hope you can find solace in the fact that you’d have been right.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over.

In a somewhat similar vein, what were the most and least exciting moments in this hype session for ya?

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Most Exciting
- The precious minutes before every Direct.
- In the order of their reveals: ICE CLIMBERS, MEWTWO IN THE BASE ROSTER, POKEMON TRAINER, PICHU
- Listening to the Gang-Plank Galleon remix.
- Entertaining the possibility that the promises of the Grinch leak could, possibly, happen.

Least Exciting
- That middle-end bit of the E3 Direct where I felt like Sakurai was just listing changes that I didn't really care about.
- Coming to terms with the Box Theory, which showed up barely a day right after the Isabelle reveal.
- That point of time in October when we realized no Direct would be coming as predicted and people got stir-crazy.
- Knowing everyone who genuinely believed in the Grinch leak was going to be in for a bad time.
- November Direct when they were padding out time with random menu stuff. Was that necessary?
- Seeing all the gloom that naturally occurs at the end of every hype season, yet no one ever seems to remember it from last time.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Most hype:
Almost getting Xurkitree into the top 7 for next batch
When a Nintendo direct gets announced
Direct satisfactions
Ridley
K. Rool
Everyone is here
Joining RTC
The Grinch Leak (sadly it was fake)

Least hype:
Most recent direct
Information droughts
LaxChris LaxChris with his fake leak videos
Toxic RTC days
Shovel Knight deconfirmed
THE FRIGGIN BOX THEORY
Grinch leak being fake
Every time Vergayben opens his trap.

"Hello its Turdben here, and I'm gonna crush your dreams! The characters are Sans, Roblox Kid, and Steve! YOU WILL TREAT ME LIKE GOSPEL AND EVERYONE ELSE IS WRONG!!!"
He makes speculation super boring because he is a flat out hype ruiner in my opinion, and he gets EVERYTHING correct. He mentions boring / hated characters and expects everyone to treat him like gospel. If not, he goes on a toxic rant on Twitter and Reddit for not believing him.
He's STILL not done, because he's automatically talking about DLC characters, and a lot of them are questionable!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Most hype speculation:
  • Everyone is here.
  • Ridley and K. Rool trailers.
  • Richter's reveal (showed that third party echos could happen).
  • Isabelle's reveal at the end of the September Direct.
Least hype speculation:
  • "Don't expect too many newcomers" meant we had to limit the amount of characters to expect.
  • Ashley being shown as an assist trophy in the August Direct. This was the hardest deconfirmation for me and the fact she wasn't even highlighted during the AT montage hurt even more.
  • The week delay of the September Direct which felt like torture.
  • Basically all of October since we had an information drought.
  • Incineroar being confirmed as the last fighter. Regardless of your thoughts on Incineroar he just doesn't seem like the type of character meant to be the final reveal. K. Rool should've been saved for last.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
King K. Rool suddenly showing up in the August Direct was the most hype, if only because he was the only truecomer Verge didn't get his hands on.

Least was, unshockingly enough, July and October, dry months where everybody was going crazy. The former was filled with fake leaks, and the latter became a warzone against the box and the Grinch.

Top Bottom