• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
I thought the direct was absolutely fantastic. Tons of great new info, nearly every new character was a hit in my books, Luigi straight up died; whole lot of great stuff. I'm incredibly content with the newcomer lineup. If we could get a RH newcomer, I'd essentially be 100% content with the Smash Bros. roster for the rest of eternity.
Richter: A rarity; a character I literally have never heard of. Haven't had one of these since Lucas' reveal in Brawl. He looks neat, but I'm wondering why Simon came with an echo since this is a character I've heard precisely zero buzz about.
Richter is by far the most popular Belmont in Japan. He was likely chosen as an echo to throw Japanese fans a bone, considering they prefer him over Simon.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
While I think Captain Toad is disconfirmed for the base game, I do think he has a chance as DLC. Not a great chance, but a chance.

Also...

The most disappointing thing about the Direct?
Kraid disconfirmed! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, I can finally talk about reactions... and since I want to watch again, here it is - with timestamps!

0:20 - pity Simon already got leaked...but this trailer is AWESOME!
1:00 - HOLY **** HE JUST KILLED LUIGI!
1:53 - Is this an adventure stage?
2:10 - Wait, what?
2:14 - Richter? Alt costume?
3:40 - Cool, he uses the whip like Sheik did!
3:57 - wait, that's a NORMAL?
4:20 - Oh that stage is SWEET!
4:55 - 34 SONGS?!?! HOLY ****!
5:50 - Whoa, Assists can do a lot!
6:07 - Wait, Richter is the other fighter we're getting?
6:20 - An echo of a third party newcomer? What?
6:53 - CHROM! I don't care about Fire Emblem, but he did get **** on last round! Congrats!
7:40 - Wait, Dark Samus too? We've doubled the Metroid roster!
8:54 - Oh, more characters? Yes!
8:58 - I love Great Bay!
9:12 - Yes! Stadium 1 is so much better than 2!
9:24 - Brinstar Depths! We didn't know that! Awesome!
10:16 - Oh, that New Donk stage is GREAT!
10:55 - FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS!!!!!! YES!!!
11:20 - 103?!?!? And there are probably more coming!!
11:54 - No unlockable stages? I'm ok with this...
12:30 - WTF? Wait, what? That's interesting!
13:25 - YES! Please also have all of the music unlocked from the beginning.
13:46 - 800 songs!!!!!! SO COOL!!!!
14:49 - Well, this is what my iphone already sounds like...but AWESOME!
16:33 - Chargeable finals? That's cool.
17:14 - STOCK SWITCH MODE!!! YES!
17:33 - Score! Offline tourneys are back too!
17:52 - SMASHDOWN SOUNDS AWESOME!!!
18:19 - Whoa, we can see trajectories in Training? That's neat!
18:45 - Each fighter has a planned classic mode?! Whoa!
19:08 - Uh oh...here come the disconfirmations...
19:44 - NESS WITH DEATH'S SCYTHE!!
20:22 - LOL ALOLA EXEGGUTOR IS RIDICULOUS! Wait, it's a wall?
20:57 - Ah, I figured Mimikyu would be a Pokéball WAIT WHAT WAS THAT ATTACK?!? COOL!!!!
21:27 - DITTO FINALLY MADE IT?!?
22:03 - DK GETS AN ASSIST FINALLY!?
22:33 - Whoa, Shovel Knight?!
22:43 - The Moon is an Assist? HOLY ****!!!!!!!!! THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
22:55 - Ashley? Ooh, I thought she was a lock!
23:05 - Xenoblade?
23:10 - Monster Hunter! What is this stage?
23:24 - A dragon as a boss? Oh God, I need Dovahkiin! Please!!
23:53 - The menu looks great!
24:21 - That's all? There's still time left...
24:25 - ...ooh, there's another trailer coming......
24:38 - OMG K.ROOL?!?!?!
24:46 - IT'S K.ROOL!! HOLY **** K.ROOL IS IN!!!
25:07 - !!!!!!!! OH THIS IS SWEET!!!!
25:12 - WTF!!!! NOT OK!!!! [looks just like the Kongs]
25:23 - YEAH!!!! TAKE THAT DEDEDE!!!! HE LOOKS AWESOME!!!!
26:00 - BLAST-O-MATIC!!!! YEAH DK64!!!!!

Wow, that was WAY better than I'd hoped for. I am SO STOKED now!!!

How are they gonna top this one though? I only need one more character...Pleast to GOD ADD DOVAHKIIN!!!!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Direct was steamy and hot. I was super glad Simon started off the Direct. It gave me hope for a reveal at the end and it ended up being my most wanted newcomer. Also two echoes, so I am guessing we'll be seeing more of them than I thought...kind of so-so on that. Depends how many and how big the roster is ultimately.

+Stage Morph will be fun for parties, and I hope Squad Strike and Smashdown are options with friends online. If not, they'll both still be fun with a group, particularly the latter.
+Fountain of Dreams, baby.
+No disconfirmations today that outright disappointed me either.

As for who I think got their chances increased and decreased...

Increased:

Shadow & Ken: The big winners of today for sure - not only did Richter break two "rules" that A. a third-party franchise cannot have two characters, and B. third-parties won't get echoes, but Chrom's unique up-B (from Roy, that is) means echoes can have a different move or two which conveniently suits both very well.

I guess the issue might be that since they are third parties, licensing for them had to be planned. That's why Richter is in a trailer unlike the other echoes. We'll see about that, though.

Third party characters from companies already involved in Smash: Specific, but since Konami have three characters that increases the odds of a third character from Capcom and SEGA, and a second character from Namco and Square. Not only that, but it does seem like Sakurai is sticking with the companies already involved with Smash for this one thus far.

Isabelle: We got a new Animal Crossing assist trophy and she's still MIA. She's alive, and with echoes now more "unique" they can work around her more.

Impa/Ninten/Funky: Like Isabelle - all benefit from echoes being able to offer something unique from their original character.

Isaac: King K. Rool busted the relevancy requirement. It's all dependent on how many numbers he got and if Sakurai wants to work on him now.

Black Shadow: The marks against him were lack of relevancy (busted), not being to fully echo another character (busted, he can now inspire from both Ganondorf and Falcon), and if the heroes vs villains is indeed a theme then that does increase the likelihood of him being considered at the very least. I'm not saying he's likely, but probably more than the measly 3% or whatever that he got in here :p

Decreased:

Dixie Kong as an unique fighter - if she were planned I think she would have been included in K. Rool's reveal. The new tidbit about echoes also means that the arguments against her being an echo have been nullified.

Indie character - the one Indie published by Nintendo got AT'd. That's a high accomplishment for any indie character, but that means that is the highest calling they can achieve right now.

Pretty much it aside from the disconfirmations.

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
I really think Isaac now has the best chance of all potential newcomers if we aren't counting echoes, which makes me excited. But at the same time we have literally seen nothing from golden sun in ultimate which could mean golden sun is fully dead in smash. It's one or the other and I really hope that he's a fighter.

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Am I allowed to make some suggestions?

Can you do Billy Hatcher and Silver the Hegdehog?

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Hmmmm... I think I'd also say that the Moon AT kinda has implications for Skull Kid. That AT is what Skull Kid supporters usually say should be his Final Smash.

I suppose Majora could be his Final Smash instead. Either way, it has some connection to him.

Troykv

Smash Master
The direct was awesome! I don't know what to say that hasn't already said; but damn; that was a good ride.

Also; the direct confirmed more character to be revealed; and some additional possbilities are open now (like Shadow being a echo fighter is now an official possibility and having unique idle and walking animation too)

D

Deleted member

Gonna give letter ranks for the following:
  • Simon and Richter: A-
    I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the Castlevania series as I've barely played to only one game, but it was still a nice surprise for a new third-party series which makes sense to get included in Smash.
  • Chrom: E-
    A certain user's ego got skyrocketed!
    And the worst part is that it unfortunately won't stop the FE activists to request for more FE newcomers. :rolleyes:
  • Dark Samus: B+
    Metroid can't hardly get represented any better now.
    My only gripes is her FS being a lazy Zero Laser copypasta and her signature "phazon-barrier" apparently not being here, but nothing big.
  • King K. Rool: S+
    About damn time.

Miscellaneous:
- Tourney mode being back in its glory: A
- Toggle-able hazards: A
- My Music no longer being limited to stages: B+
- Shovel Knight AT: B
And unlike TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom I'm glad that it rather indicates that indie characters aren't totally out of question as most of us believed.
- Stage Morph: C+
- Proper Classic Mode: A
- FS gauge: B+

I'm rather whatever on the rest.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
man that was awesome to have my most wanted newcomer King K Rool inSmash is great. Literally anyone else is now iceing on this smash bros cake!!! Echos look great and good for Castlevania fans for what thye wanted. New modes look great and heres to hoping the green icon is a story mode

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok it’s been a while, satisfaction ratings for Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K Rool. For those who don’t remember or are new, rank your satisfaction in a percentage.

Everything gets 100% from me.

Simon looks sick. I love his barbarian look. Richter is best Belmont. Play rondo and SotN. Tons of music and love for the series makes me happy. Castlevania earned this spot and I am happy we got content from it.

Chrom getting his chance made me smile. Sure FE is overreepped now and will be even more when Three Houses DLC comes out but who cares. Two of its characters are echos and one is a semi clone. Chrom getting in is fanservice, and I am glad that he got in, even if I’m 4 I was against him since Robin was my most wanted.

Dark Samus looks great. Her new animations and floating make her so menacing. Love the phazon looking effects.

K Rool is perfect. Honestly he is exactly as I imagined and I couldn’t be happier.

Troykv

Smash Master
Gonna give letter ranks for the following:
    I'm still pretty unfamiliar with the Castlevania series as I've barely played to only one game, but it was still a nice surprise for a new third-party series which makes sense to get included in Smash.
    And the worst part is that it unfortunately won't stop the FE activists to request for more FE newcomers. :rolleyes:
    My only gripes is her FS being a lazy Zero Laser copypasta and her signature "phazon-barrier" apparently not being here, but nothing big.
    About damn time.

Miscellaneous:
- Tourney mode being back in its glory: A
- Toggle-able hazards: A
- My Music no longer being limited to stages: B+
- Shovel Knight AT: B
And unlike TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom I'm glad that it rather indicates that indie characters aren't totally out of question as most of us believed.
- Stage Morph: C+
- Proper Classic Mode: A
- FS gauge: B+

I'm rather whatever on the rest.
I only want to see Micaiah for personal bias; nothing special to do for the franchise

I was actually happy to see a Fire Emblem Item :D (Killing Edge).

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
First, let's discuss the most heartbreaking news of all reveals yesterday.
Daisy still has turnips.

Now that that's out of the way, let's go over the Direct

It's Belmont, *****
Yeah, he was expected thanks to Verge, but I feel this also took away the hopes of the trailer being for a different spooky character.
The moveset is nice, albeit a bit simple, as Sakurai noted. I'm wondering how the divekick works, and I like his normals with the whip.
The stage is nice and the content is cool (Can I already request Alucard as playable?) but nothing mindblowing there.

Richter is cool, and if this was a regular fighting game I'd main him for his incredible design.

I wonder what the ranged boi means for Corrin. Poor boy got his title taken as farthest reaching F-Smash already.

Echo The Dolphin
Chromgratulations indeed! Not my favorite character or moveset, but it's just a clone.
Dark Samus has a cool villain aesthetic and I like the otherworldy floating. Still not my fav character or moveset.

I'm not really interested in the slot politics but I'll campaign for Azura for DLC just to spite @Final Smash Gamer now I guess

Trembling Kutthroats
K. Rool's fans just needed this, just like Ridley. I probably won't play as him and his moveset isn't as mindblowing as Smash 4 movesets were (can we call that a trend now?) but it's just history for Smash speculation.

Simon Satisfaction: 80%
Richter Satisfaction: 85%
Chrom + Dark Samus Satisfaction: 100% (There's not much you can do wrong with Echoes, and their animations look good)
K. Rool: 100%

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Richter and Dark Samus Satisfaction - ABSTAIN
I truly don't care. I'm happy for anyone who likes them, though. I would have given them low Want scores beforehand, but as Echoes, I don't have any reason to give them actively low satisfaction scores.

Simon Satisfaction - 85%
I wasn't really an active supporter, but I thought he would be deserving and could bring a good moveset. I'm pretty happy with what I saw! The content he's bringing looks great, and I'm very glad they went with his more classic design. After seeing it, he's a very worthy addition, even if he wasn't someone I asked for.

Chrom Satisfaction - 100%
He deserved his chance to fight. I like his character, and seeing him finally join Smash makes good on all of those jokes from last time. I also liked to see where he's pulling from both Roy and Ike, which opens up more possibilities for what can qualify as an Echo. Very nice. My sister is a big Chrom fan and she was pretty hyped, so how could I not be happy about this?
For anyone who's annoyed by Fire Emblem representation, I understand where you are coming from since I used to agree, but keep in mind this is a series with a massive amount of well-liked characters with ready fighting potential. Besides playable characters, Fire Emblem has actually been kind of underepresented in terms of items, stages, ATs, and the like, comparitively speaking.
We have a light sword, heavy sword, a sword/mage mix, a dragon/magic mix, and clones/semiclones that didn't take much effort to add. If it bothers you that much, you can take Lucina and Chrom off the CSS. That's all I have to add about that.

King K. Rool - 100%
Just being playable would probably be enough for a 90%, but they did him right. Other than giving him a longer tail, I wouldn't change a thing about his design. His moveset is basically what we expected, and pulls from all of his games. Not sure he needed a counter like everyone else nowadays, but whatever. It's K. Rool!

Also, both of those trailers were just great. What a day!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Simon: 100% - I don't think they could have done him any better, pretty much exactly how I thought he'd function. His walking animation made me feel all tingly inside.

Richter: 50% - I really don't know much about him, in fact when he was first revealed I had no idea who it was, I only knew him otherwise as the blue Simon from SotN's intro, which is a game I haven't even played before, and I never knew him by name. I suppose being an echo fighter fits him, but it's hard to rate someone who I barely even know.

Chrom: 60% - I'm happy for his fans, and I like that he borrows Aether despite being a Roy echo, I hope to see more stuff like that from other echoes. Can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about another Marth clone, so I doubt I'll play him much, but he's a good inclusion regardless.

Dark Samus: 95% - Obviously I'd have prefered her to be unique, but I'm not so naive to have believed that to be a genuine possibility, so I was really really hoping that the echo fighter concept would allow her to slip through the cracks, and it did. I'm super grateful for her inclusion, Metroid's character representation really feels complete now, and I also love her floaty animations, they characterize her so well while setting her apart from Samus. I would have liked to have seen a few more differences in her moves, and some of the effects could have been changed even further like Screw Attack, but overall I'm very happy.

K. Rool: 100% - They did exactly what had to be done with him, took the ever obvious moves from his games and made him feel exactly like you'd have imagined. I'm so happy that they're not just doing gimmick movesets this time, the likes of K. Rool and Ridley might feel a bit simple in comparison to Smash 4 newcomers, but that's exactly how they're supposed to be, they really just need to feel right, in that regard they remind me of Brawl newcomers. He also had the best trailer out of any Smash character imo, it was one wild emotional ride and I really can't stop rewatching it.

This Smash Direct was basically perfect imo, by far the best one we've ever had, this game is no longer just shaping up to be ultimate, with what we've seen it already is.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Simon satisfaction: 65%
Richter satisfaction: 80%
Simon is a boring choice and he supposedly gives Verge more credibility, but at least he brings Castlevania music with him.
RIchter is just better in terms of design, but he opens a can of worms that allows Shadow to be added in Smash (I'm basically 100% sure he'll be in at this point) and his lack of differences from Simon is disappointing. Would've preferred one or the other, but I'm not too upset.
Also extra points for Richter for referencing this gem:
On a different note, is Luigi okay?

Chrom satisfaction: 85%
I like Chrom and I'm very happy for his fans, but I don't care that much about him.

Dark Samus satisfaction: 30%
I cringed when she was announced because I was just so sick of hearing her name in this forum to the point it soured me on the idea of her getting in.
I got over it rather quickly, but there's still some leftover salt.

K. Rool satisfaction: 100%
What's this? A character I actually wanted? Hell yeah!
And his trailer was amazing too. Seriously, this shot right here is so satisfying:
good shot.PNG

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Satisfaction Ratings

Simon: 50% - Cool character who will make for a great addition. I just don't care much for the fact that he was leaked, and that he's yet another 3rd Party on top of a massive pile.

Richter: 0% - Not a fan of 'Echo' clone characters, and especially not 3rd Party clones. Should've been an alternate costume, like Alph.

Chrom: 0% - Yet another Fire Emblem character upon an already massive pile. There are now as many Fire Emblem characters as Pokemon characters. As many characters as Donkey Kong and Metroid combines. More characters than the Legend of Zelda. More characters than Kirby and Star Fox combined. Not to mention that since he's a clone of Roy, rather than Ike, we now have four variations of the same character. The blatant Fire Emblem favoritism is a huge turn-off for me.

Dark Samus: 50% - Still not a fan of clone characters, and it's a shame that this was the only way she got in. However, Metroid has deserved more characters for a while, and Dark Samus looks great in-game.

King K. Rool: 90% - I never specifically wanted King K. Rool, or Dixie Kong for that matter, but the series definitely deserved more than just Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong. I'm glad that the Donkey Kong series finally has a new character, and King K. Rool is a great fit. His trailer was pretty damn great, too.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
King K. Rool: 100%
Am I allowed to go higher?
I am so glad that this finally happened. He looks better than I ever imagined, and I can't wait to play as him.

Simon: 100%
He also looks pretty fun to play as. And we get Castlevania music, cool!

Richter: 100%
See Simon.

Dank Samus: 100%
It's Samus, but cooler!

Everything's Chrom in the Future: 100%
While I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem, he got in in the way he always would have, as a clone. So I'm satisfied.

Can it be December 7th already?

Troykv

Smash Master
Simon/Richter: 100% Perfect; every I wanted from a Belmont Hero; and I can even play with my favorite Joestar! Castlevania Male Hero, Richter :3

Chrom: 50% I'm happy for their fans; and overll I'm neutral with the idea.

Dark Samus: 60% Like Samus but with more edge; I love it.

K. Rool: 100% The reveal was so good!

This game is already Ultimate; and every other character choice should be received kindly; we already got pretty much our biggest desires already.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Simon: 90%
Wasn't really expecting him to turn up, but he got a very faithful and useful moveset.

Richter: 100%

Best looking fighter, best thing about the Direct, and he's the one I associate Castlevania's movement tech with. I also have an interest with his games and his era of games. The win pose was icing on the cake.

Chrome: 95%
Maybe would be the most unexpected thing I'm happy about if it weren't for Richter. He got redemption after being snubbed, and he's based on two of my favorite fighters. Only problems, I like Ike's Side B more than Roy's, and his model doesn't seem to be complete. The second one will get fixed in due time, so it's not a big deal, but I worry about Chrom's recovery options.

Dark Samus: 80%
I was half-expecting this and it aesthetically looks great. Again, I worry about the moves, but this time I'm only worried if they're different enough from Samus.

K. Rool: 90%
He wasn't on my want list, actually, but what I can say is, why wasn't he in Smash earlier, he really looks like a natural fit.

Overall, the thing I was happiest with was... the echo fighters! Don't know what that says about me, but I hope I don't get flak for it.

Gallerian

Smash Apprentice
Simon Belmont/Richter Belmont - 200% Satisfied

Castlevania had its roots in Nintendo, and helped pave the way for an entire genre of games alongside Metroid, hence the name "Metroidvania." 3rd party character, yes, but the significance to Nintendo's history is far too important to leave out. He should have been here before Snake, or even Ryu, to be honest. If someone says they shouldn't be here, they are legit insane.

The addition of Richter Belmont made it even better. Quite possibly the second-most important Belmont in the entirety of the series.

Chrom and Dark Samus - 50%

Neat additions, though I would have preferred a Fire Emblem character from a game other than Awakening. It's an Echo fighter though, so it isn't all that bad. Also, I never really cared for Dark Samus, but I do like more Metroid representatives.

K. Rool - 100%

This is self-explanatory. I don't need to elaborate on this.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, let's get the satisfaction ratings in...

CHARACTERS
Simon
: 80%
I've never played Castlevania, but I definitely recognize its importance. Pity he got clumsily leaked the night before, but he does look pretty cool.​
Simon's been an "oh, cool." addition for me since Verg leaked him before E3. I'm a bit bristly about the barbarian look since my most wanted is also a barbarian, but I've adopted a headcanon of the two adventuring together through some ancient barrow and it does seem really cool.​
Richter: 85%
See Simon, but he looks cooler. Definitely wasn't expecting this in the slightest, though. A third-party echo of a just-announced character?​
Chrom: 85%
I've never played Fire Emblem, but he really did get **** on last round. It's nice to see that his day finally came. Personally, I'm not anti-swordsmen, but I do think that something Zelda is deserved now. Fire Emblem should not have more characters than Zelda.​
Dark Samus: 60%
This was one people have been talking about, but I didn't really need her. Still, the aesthetic changes are cool enough. I just don't normally play Samus. Really cool to see Metroid double their representation though, even if there are three Samuses.​
This was EPIC! I didn't expect him so soon, but as soon as the trailer showed those hero/villain matchups I knew what was coming. The Dedede troll was inspired, but I'm glad it was resolved so quickly. And all of the DK64 love! I'm so happy...​
Stages: 95%
We've definitely got some good stages here. So happy to see Fountain of Dreams back in all its beauty, and they confirmed my other favorites from before (Pirate Ship, Melee Yoshi's Island). This is shpaing up to be incredible. Couple points off for using Pac-Land instead of Pac-Maze, but otherwise great.​
Items: 75%
I love some of the new items we've seen. The Death's Scythe is awesome, and then there are some comical ones like the Banana Gun. This could be fun.​
Pokéballs: 90%
I'd expected Mimikyu would get the Pokéball treatment, and it was glorious. Alolan Exeggutor is ridiculous and awesome, and the return of Ditto was totally unexpected. Also great to finally see Abra in action. I only wish that Arcanine could join the Pokéball roster.​
Assists: 100%
We have a great Assist roster. I was expecting Ashley to get a promotion, but it was really cool to see Shovel Knight. Rathalos was epic, and only served to make we want Dovahkiin even more, and the Moon obliterating everything was one of the most awesome parts of the direct.​
Modes: 100%
They gave us the team mode, which is great nad will definitely see a lot of use. Beyond that, the Smashdown mode sounds like so much fun; I wish I had reliable friends nearby to play with. I also love seeing offline Tourneys back with CPUs. Stage Morph was bizarre - Looks and sounds awesome, but I don't know if I'll play it much. The meter is really interesting though.​

All in all, a very satisfying Direct. Where are they going to go from here?

I'm just a little disappointed that they won't be able to top these last two for me anymore. There's only one character that I really want at this point, but he's a pipe dream...

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Simon and Richter: 100%
Beautiful trailer, awesome gameplay, great music, cool cameos. Maining them for sure. I want a 2D Castlevania with HD graphics now.

Dark Samus: 80%
It's cool to have more Metroid representation. I've played a few 2D games but not the Prime series, so I'm indifferent to her but happy for Metroid fans as she was heavily requested.

Chrom: 0%
Yeah I'm a huge FE fan and this pick is bad. The roster in general is bad. If I'd had some say I would have added Celica as a Robin echo or Lyn as a new character. Chrom brings nothing new, overrepresents one single game in a series with soon to be 16 games, and furthers the false notion that FE is only blue haired anime sword boys. Sakurai is a fan of FE so I'm confused at how we ended up with such a boring roster. Marth, Ike, (Roy), Lyn or Hector, Robin, Azura, and Celica was a perfectly doable scenario and I'm sure if we'd gotten something like that over the years FE wouldn't have such a bad rap in Smash circles atm.

K Rool: 80%
Similar to Dark Samus, no personal connection but happy for DK fans. Hopefully Dixie is also in, but I'm not sure as I feel she would've been revealed with K Rool.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Satisfaction: August 8 Direct

Simon Belmont: 100%
I've only ever seen Castlevania through clips and essay videos, but it was easy to tell that the Belmonts received enough care and attention to rival what Megaman got back in Smash 4. My few expectations for him mean that I'm happy enough just seeing him implemented well, even if he wasn't one of my top 3rd-party picks.

Richter: Abstain
I feel bad not knowing who this guy is at all. This is what I get for neglecting my studies of non-Nintendo retro history - they put in a character I know truly nothing about! People seem pleased by his inclusion, but then again, every bit of Castlevania content looked like a crowd pleaser.

Chrom: 95%
My first post in this thread was on Chrom day, which was a paragraph about how Chrom, while perfectly deserving, had simply missed the bus and lacked a unique fighting style. Cut to today, the introduction of echoes proved to be the fate-changer that he needed to make his debut. True, 3 Awakening characters is a lot when Awakening is just one entry out of many, but that'd downplay its current significance to Fire Emblem as a whole. It's also true that he's not nearly as relevant anymore, but hey, that didn't stop K. Rool from appearing to make up for lost time.

Dark Samus: 90%
I wish we saw more distinct attack differences between her and Samus. As it stands now, her idle posture is enough to make her seem an alien-enough beast from the original.

King K. Rool: 99%
Kind of wish his voice was a little louder, or croakier.

Hah, what a nitpick. The big takeaway is all those proper references on his specials, which means a big refocus on the original DKC games that he helps define. Between him and Ridley, Sakurai has shown a surprising amount of care and attention to these otherwise-neglected bad guys, more than I think we would have expected when inclusion itself was hard enough to expect.

His reveal trailer played out even more incredibly than I could've imagined, using that original fake-out that defined his fight to the max. It's also appreciable no matter how times I seem to rewatch it, more so than other trailers.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Simon - 60%
I don't much care for him personally, and I did get spoiled by the overnight leak, but at least all the people who wanted Castlevania content in Smash are happy. Besides, I'd be lying if I said that stage and all that Castlevania music didn't look cool.

Richter - Abstain
Who?

Chrom - 70%
It's oddly pleasing to see Chrom actually get his chance another day, even if I don't care for the character or the franchise he comes from.

Dark Samus - 55%
Eh, it looks cool, but beyond that, no attachment. At least I got it right on my prediction roster.

K. Rool - 100%
Self-explanatory. The trailer was beautiful, probably my favorite Smash trailer I've ever seen, and K. Rool finally being in the spotlight again is a dream come true on the part of the fanbase. Plus, he basically confirmed that fanservice is the focus for most, if not all of this game's newcomers, which makes me incredibly relieved in regards to my most wanted. A+!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dude, the pot shots are just kind of sad at this point. They were vaguely humorous at first, but are you seriously still that upset that I don't like Xenoblade 2? Get over it, lol.

ANYWHO

Simon and Richter: 100%
Simon was my second most wanted third party this time around. I'm beyond thrilled.

Chrom: 10000000000%
I took off a single percent for the jab looking weird. ;) tl;dr: I can die happy when it comes to Smash now.

Dark Samus: 90%
As someone who's not really a big Metroid fan, I'm minorly disappointed she doesn't have the big tentacle summon thing from her Assist. She's cool though.

Seeing the trailer rekindled all of my lost love for the big guy. His expressions are perfect. Also he has a cape and a counter, and is royalty. K. Rool is a Fire Emblem character.

D

Deleted member

So if I have to translate my lettered scores in satisfaction percentage:
    About damn time.
That would give:

• Simon and Richter: 90%
  • Chrom: 0%
  • Dark Samus: 85%
  • King K. Rool: Level Infinity Epic Super God Plus% (100%)

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Simon Belmont

Satisfaction: 100%

Been wanting this guy for a long time, it's good to see Castlevania finally included. Bonus points for him keeping his original Conan-esq design and not the horrid Chronicals look. Also glad the series icon is the castle, it obviously suits the series.

-----

Richter Belmont

Satisfaction: 99%

Well, he was out of the blue, but I'm glad to see him. I'm glad to see that third party franchises already in Smash can have more characters. I would have preferred Trevor over him, but I am happy with him regardless.

-----

Chrom

I'm very happy to see him in. I would have liked him, if he was to be an echo, to copy more Ike as being a Roy echo, a clone of Marth, makes him the 4th Marth-based character. Still, the charm of the character outweighs it all.

-----

Dark Samus

Satisfaction: 10%
This is the only disappointment on the list. I just don't really care for characters with "dark" slapped in front of an existing character's name. Just not appealing to me at all.

-----

King K. Rool

He's looking very nice so far. There is a lot of personality to his character in Smash and he has a handful of interesting moves that set him apart from others. I'd give him a 100% but it looks like he has a Down Special counter, which we have too many of before we even started with Ultimate. Still, fantastic design, great personality, looks like he'll be quite fun to play as.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Simon and Richter Belmont: 90%
Simon was a neat idea as the next third-party newcomer. Glad it happened. Richter's inclusion rips another page off the Rulebook of Assumptions. Shadow has a legitimate shot, though I'd rather see Eggman.

Chrom: 100%
Sheev Palpatine said:
A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.
Obviously, I wasn't pushing for Chrom like Opossum was, but Awakening was my first FE game, so it holds a place in my heart. Chrom finally got his chance, and all those jokes and memes about Chrom's exclusion from Smash 4 are now dead. Captain Falcon better be an opponent in Chrom's Classic Mode.

Dark Samus: 50%
Dark Samus was just there for me, but I did prefer her over Sylux. Dark Samus had a role in the games she appeared, while Sylux remains just ifs and maybes.

King K. Rool: 95%
Great fake-out from the trailer. I don't what else to say. K Rool wasn't among my desired newcomers for Ultimate.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
One of the first characters I considered when the game was teased. I think he turned out perfectly. He has the walk cycle, the long-range whip standards, and the exact sub weapons I was hoping for.
Ritcher: 100%
I haven't even played his game, and even I knew who he was. The fact that he owns some of the moves that Simon uses makes him feel like a more justified echo. In some ways he even feels like a more interesting character than Simon.
K. Rool: 100%
He's back after years of being absent. His moveset brings all the tools he uses in his original battles. This is something I've been waiting for since Brawl released. I'm unbelievably happy that I finally got it.
Chrom: 5%
He confirmed echoes can have different moves. That's all I care about.
Dark Samus: 0%

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Simon & Richter - 90%
Never played Castlevania, but they look like a nice addition! Interesting movesets. Never heard of Richter before, but hey, seems like a cool dude too.

Chrom - Abstain
I prefer not to comment on this one... He doesn't really add anything new, but then again he's an echo. 2 characters from Awakening feel like too much when there's already so many FE reps. Then again, there are people who wanted him, so I respect them, but if it was for me, 0%.

Dark Samus - 90%
Obvious echo choice! However, I think she's hindered by her status as echo. So much could have been done with her, from her Phazon Barrier, to a Leviathan FS (or even reverting to her Metroid Prime original form). The problem is, how much can you tweak an echo so it's not a new fighter?

K. Rool - 1000%
Do I even need to explain?

------

Stages, music, options - 90%
It's too early to say, but everything looks just excellent so far. Little nitpicks: no K. Rool stage that we know of yet, and let's see how the the franchises are balanced with their music (I'm looking at you, Wario and DK).

Modes - 90%
Impressive new take on Classic mode, and all the other battle modes are just sweet. I can't help but to raise my expectations on the mystery mode, if they continue delivering, it will be HUGE, like, SSE2 scope of huge.

Overall Direct - 100%
Awesome pacing, everything was simply delightful and exciting, from start to finish. If there only was a regular Direct as good as this...

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Sastifcation Ratings

Simon Belmont - 100%
I'm really happy that Simon made it in Ultimate, since he's my second most wanted third-party character next to Saber from Fate/stay night. I'm also glad that they made Dracula's Castle his home stage.

Richter Belmont - 100%
Okay, let's be honest: I did not expect Richter to appear as a playable character, much less an Echo Fighter of Simon. Nevertheless, I was happy with his inclusion, since Rondo of Blood is one of the games I played on SNES since childhood.

Chrom - 25%
Eh, I'm not that happy about Chrom's inclusion here. I would rather have Celica as the Echo Fighter of Robin instead of Chrom. Still, it's great that they acknowledged him ever since that Lucina and Robin trailer in Smash 4.

Dark Samus - 50%
I gotta admit, I have mixed opinions about Dark Samus. For one, I'm really happy that she made it in as an Echo of Samus, but on the other, I'm really disappointed that they didn't give her something unique. I mean, come on, Chrom has a different Up-Special and Final Smash from Roy, why can't they do the same to Dark Samus?

King K. Rool - 100%
Even though he's not on my most wanted list, I'm happy that King K. Rool finally got something that we all wanted: a spot in Smash Bros. His reveal trailer was the best part of the Direct, aside from Simon and Richter's reveal trailer.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Satisfaction

Simon: 50%
I have never played a Castlevania game, thus I have no attachment to the series or characters. However, I recognize the legacy of the series, so I think he's a worthy addition to the roster.

Richter: 55%
The above, but with a few additions: he looks cooler imo, for one. But he also was just a pleasant surprise. Simon was leaked ahead of time, but no one saw Richter coming.

Chrom: 5%
Sigh...Look. I love Fire Emblem. You'll never hear me complain about "too many Fire Emblem characters." I even like Chrom as a character. And I know he's an echo, thus took little development time. But I hate how FE is represented in Smash, and Chrom only made it worse. 7 fighters, all sword users despite how much of a defining feature the weapon triangle is. Even the series icon and in-game item are swords! And of those 7 fighters, 6 are men (not counting alts). The one woman is a clone despite there being lots of great female heroes in the series. Also, 4 of them have blue hair.

We need Edelgard.

Dark Samus: 65%
I like Metroid and this is a good way to get Dark Samus in. She could be unique, but she likely would never have been high enough priority for that.

King K. Rool: 60%
Dixie Kong is the one I want more, but I'm putting this on the positive side because I still think K. Rool is a worthy addition, and one is better than neither.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Simon Belmont Satisfaction: 90%

I have no experience playing Castlevania games, but I've known a fair bit about Simon for a long time. This guy is pretty cool and translates into a Smash fighter very well, from the looks of things! So along with that, him having an awesomely creepy trailer (complete with Luigi getting his soul taken by freaking Death) and me being happy for his fans, I'll gladly welcome Simon into the game.

Richter Belmon Satisfaction: 30%

Unlike the above, this guy is a case of "Literally Who?" for me. Although, knowing he's also an echo of Simon gives me mixed feelings that, when combined and thought over, ultimately (pun not intended) amount to "meh". I don't dislike him, but I'm not fond of him, either.

Everything is Chrom in the Future Satisfaction: 80%

I'm not one to advocate for more Fire Emblem characters, but I recognize that Chrom has been one of the most wanted newcomers of the franchise for a rather long time now. I'm happy for his fans. If there was gonna be another FE character, I'm glad it was him.

Dark Samus Satisfaction: 85%

Echo or not, two Metroid newcomers in one game? What a pleasant surprise! Dark Samus was a good choice, and although I do wish they could've done a few different things for her, she's nonetheless looking very cool as she is.

King K. Rool Satisfaction: 100%

YES! YES, YES, YES! This guy was my most wanted newcomer besides Tetra and has been since the days of Smash 4. I don't even have much experience with personally playing DK games, but I know a lot about most of 'em and the characters in particular. K. Rool's boss fights were always clever and fun, and the character himself is just a real joy. I always thought he'd be a wonderful Smash character with how many abilities and weapons he's got access to, and along with that, his decade-long absence was a real shame.....at least, it was. Because I couldn't think of a better way for him to make a triumphant return, well suited for his character, and one that would leave his immensely dedicated fans celebrating in pure joy, than for him to make his debut as a newcomer to Super Smash Bros. It's about time! I'm completely satisfied with K. Rool. His animations, his moves, the very fact that he's returned at all like this, even his trailer was glorious from start to finish. I'm so glad to see the big kroc return.

D

Deleted member

Simon, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, and King K. Rool: All 100% satisfactions.
I highly trust Sakurai on making good choices, and I am very happy. I loved all of them and they do feel like they belong in Smash Bros.

No offs.

Simon and Richter both represent Castlevania really well.

I always wanted Chrom, even though I did not play much Fire Emblem. He was always a lovable dork and I am glad to have him here.

Dark Samus: I did have Metroid Prime 3 that never worked anymore, so I like Dark Samus. Plus Dark Samus just looks cool.

King K. Rool: Best reveal in the Direct. Loved his presentation, and he looks a lot of fun. I am happy King K. Rools are sprouting in joy.

Direct is 100% as well.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Simon/Richter: 80%

Casltevania is a huge franchise and having it represented in Smash is really big. While I don't really care for the series that much it's cool that a series with so much history is in Smash.

Chrom: 50%

Normally I cringe with most FE newcomers but Chrom is an Echo and a lot of people wanted him in so that's good for them.

Dark Samus: 50%

Don't really care but like Chrom i'm happy for the fans of said character and it's good to see more Metroid representation.

One of my most requested characters since the days of Melee. It's incredible that he's finally in the game. I can finally say that the villain representation in Smash feels complete now.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Absolute legend. He looks and plays exactly like I pictured him in my head.

Richter: 75%
While I don’t think anybody was expecting or asking for him, a neat reveal nonetheless.

Chrom: 100%
This man has taught me anything can change. His combination of different parts of characters’ movesets makes him not an echo in my opinion, which makes me even happier. We just need Lyn now, and FE representation is complete.

Dark Samus: 100%
She looks freaking badass, the work they put into her design and animations... wow.

K. Rool: Infinity%
JUST LOOK AT THAT TRAILER

Mastermiine

Smash Journeyman
Simon - 70%
Never played any of his games and don't know much about him. I'll give him a try and It's cool to see new people in the game.

Richter - 1000%
Now people can stop fighting about how 3rd parties can only have 1 rep. This proves even more that my boy Shadow the Hedgehog has even more of a chance to get in now.

King K. Rool - 100%
Not on my wish list but cool to see a new villain in the game.

Chrom - 5%
Annoyed we are getting another samesie FE character that has no variety. Now we have 7 where 6 of them have swords. Plus Chrom is a Roy echo who is a clone of Marth who has his own echo. The only thing I liked was that it showed echos can take from multiple characters.

Dark Samus - 70%
Not the "dark" version of the character I wanted to see (Shadow) but I'll give her a try.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Dark Samus
39.32% Chance (Previously 13.04%)
44.30% Want (Previously 40.78%)

Simon Belmont
59.37% Chance (Previously 16.67%)
64.07% Want (Previously 55.70%)

K. Rool
63.04% Chance (Previously 48.49%)
78.26% Want (Previously 73.57%)

Chrom
32.07% Chance (Previously 8.18%)
36.19% Want (Previously 27.51%)

And Richter we missed completely oh well.

K Rool and Simon were some of our more expected characters, while Dark Samus and Chrom did become something we jumped on as more likely once Echos were a thing. We have had some misses though, expect that graveyard and the front page to be updated today.

Top Bottom