• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Funky Kong:

Chance:
5% - It's a pretty typical example of people talking a character up just because something happened with him close to a Smash game's release, as if that suddenly makes every other criteria a Smash character has to go through irrelevant.

Want: 40% - I wouldn't actually be mad at his inclusion, he could be a fun character to mess others up with, but there would be a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth simply because Dixie and K. Rool deserve it far more.

Nominations:
Dark Samus x5

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Funky Kong

Chance: 5%
The TF port isn't going to influence this Smash game at all. If Sakurai considers Funky, it'll be based off of his past appearances, which unfortunately haven't been as notable as other DK contenders.

Want: 50%
I'm indifferent. Not who I want the most, but I wouldn't be upset by his inclusion either.

KOS-MOS prediction: 4%

Nominations: Mipha x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Funky Kong:

Chance: 10%
I doubt the port will play a role in deciding which character from Donkey Kong will make it in. The development of it certainly must be too recent and TF already has Dixie and Cranky to use if Sakurai decides to stick with relevancy in this scenario.

Not only that, but during the ballot his popularity was not at the peak it is now. DK fans are split between K. Rool and Dixie pretty much, and no doubt they both got the vast majority of the ballot votes. I think Cranky may have gotten some as well, but I'd be surprised if he was anywhere near the other two who have nostalgic people rooting for them as well.

Funky? A minority may have gone for him as a joke and in genuine want, but I think it should be clear to Sakurai that Funky is not the first character he should be working from the series if he plans on adding one.

Now if DK were to get two characters....Funky has some legs to stand on. His build is similar to DK, and he'd work great as a last minute semi-clone (animations all tweaked, of course) but considering the last game only had alts-turned-clones rather than any clones added purposefully at the end of development, that isn't much to shout about. Especially when Smash Switch undoubtedly has the time and staff to add everything they want in the main game.

Want: 25%
I actually quite like Funky Kong, but adding him before Dixie and/or K. Rool would feel hallow. Once one is added, then I think we can look more at both him and Cranky Kong in future installments.

KOS-MOS: 6.4%

Nominating Toon Zelda x3, Cranky Kong x2

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Funky Kong

Chance: 20%
Now before any of you people kill me, I like to stay consistent. I rated Rex and Spring Man with high chance scores because I was including "chance of being DLC" when considering their score. And because I'm 100% sure DLC will be a thing this time, not factoring it in for chance scores would be poor on my part.

And in THAT regard, I think he has a very strong shot at DLC. Dixie or bust for the main game, but Funky's popularity in general has exploded, meme or not.

Want: 100%
He's Funky as funk. For the longest time now I've wanted Dixie, but I think, over time, I've become more and more of a Funky fan. Dixie's still probably my second most wanted DK character. Then Cranky at third. Honestly, having a whole Kong Kollective in Smash with DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky would be awesome.

Plus he would fight with a surfboard and that's funky.

Predicting a 1.2 for KOS-MOS

Nominating K. Rool x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Funky Kong
Chance: 1%
Even as DLC I don't see him happening. He has 2 characters from the series that are more popular than him, and his appearance came too late I think.
Want: 80%
That being said, I want Funky more than K Rool or Dixie. I thought this dude was super cool in MKWii and I'll pick up Tropical Freeze eventually. He's got a cool design and a surfboard. Put him in the game Sakurai.

KOS-MOS Prediction: 4.01%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Funky Kong
To early for help from the Funky Mode but he has a chance I would love ot see him as the second DK newcomer (behind K Rool) however I can see him being a clone character for Donkey Kong which I think if he is in that would be how. So I'm giving Funky a chacne of
22%

Want
I want King K rool more but hey we can have two DK reps right
90%

predicting KOS MOS at .89%

nominating Labo guy x5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Funky Kong

He may surprise us. Funky Kong may work as a last minute clone with a few different attacks such as using his surfboard instead of DK's upB...but I honestly don't really see it happening...and it's pretty hard to predict clones cuz it all depends on how much time the devs have at the end of the game and which characters end up being more convinient...

And no I don't see him coming in as a unique character...

All eyes are on King K Rool and Dixie Kong when it comes to the DK series, so he may fly under the radar...

Want: 0%
no...

----

KOS-MOS-2.65%

----

Dark Samus x5

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Funky Kong

I can see Donkey Kong getting a costume based on his design, but I seriously doubt Funky has a chance at getting in. The main force behind his support is the new Funky Mode of Tropical Freeze’s Switch port, which just happened. Unless the port was planned WAAAY far in advance, I can’t imagine he was in the plans. If the development team were to allocate time mid-development to squeeze one final character into the base roster, I’m pretty sure they’d go for a more popular request.

Want: 10%
I think he’s kinda funny, and maybe his fighting could incorporate his surfboard somehow, which would be interesting. Don’t really have any strong desire to see him, though.

-----

KOS-MOS chance prediction: 16.87%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Funky Kong

Chance: 10% - Has potential to be a last-minute clone of Donkey Kong, or possibly a semi-clone due to his popularity, but I don't see it. Maybe we'll see him as an Donkey Kong alternate or Assist Trophy.

Want: 5% - I like Funky Kong, but assuming he'd be another last-minute clone, I'd rather not. If he were made unique or at least a semi-clone, I'd be more open to the idea, but he's not my first choice for new Donkey Kong series characters.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x5

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Funky Kong Chance:
30%
I'm very confident we're getting atleast one DK newcomer this game. King K. Rool has the best chance in my opinion, followed by Dixie, and ending with Funky. He's more likely than he's given credit for. He was added into MK Wii along with Donkey and Diddy, making it in before a lot more recognizable and requested characters. He's been there since the first DKC game, and has stayed prominent since. I think he has way more unique moveset potential than Dixie, so if anyone is getting made into a clone, I think it would be her. This hurts his chances, but Sakurai may see the potential in his bodacious moveset and add him in.

Funky Kong Want:
100%
Donkey Kong deserves one or even two new characters. Funky has so much sass and personality to him, just watch the DKC cutscenes if you need proof. I will take literally any DK character that isn't Dixie.

KOS-MOS Prediction:
9.81%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x5

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Also, I will make a deal. If Decidueye gets chosen by yall to be one of our most overrated characters, we will do a whole pokemon day where each of the three frontrunners will be rerated. I know I said I want to keep this thread tame but it will be interesting to see.
As long as this is after E3 I absolutely second this. Because of how Pokemon newcomers work I think it would be interesting to look at these outside of individual bubbles.

D

Deleted member

Funky Kong

Chance: 35%
Want: 75%

He's not Dixie, and even less K. Rool, but boy I'd be greatly surprised if he ever gets added. He'd be a new :wolf: case as his model could be easily made by taking inspiration from :4dk:'s but with a whole different moveset, notably with his surfboard.
And his sassy attitude would also bring a breath of fresh air among the cast.

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

KOS-MOS prediction: 13.24%

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Alright, this day calls for something special...

New Funky Mode, AKA What MKWii Players Have Been Playing For 10 Years

Chance: 2%
Simply put, the competition from Dixie, K. Rool, and even Cranky is too strong for this guy to edge out a spot over all three of them. Even if DK manages to squeeze in two reps this time around, which I think is entirely possible, he'll still have at least one of the big ones to contend with for that second spot. As others have mentioned, he may have a chance as a last-minute clone, but I'm dubious of that since it would mean he'd have to start as a DK alt first, which I don't see happening. As an assist trophy, on the other hand...

Brodacious.

Actual Want: 10%
Okay, I like Funky. He's a great guy. But I don't want him getting in Smash over the three aforementioned characters. The other two Kongs have playable roles in Tropical Freeze (not the port) to boast, granting them prominence and moveset potential over Funky, and K. Rool has uniqueness and moveset potential out the krokhole and massive fan pull on his side to boot. I wouldn't hate to see him in Smash, just not before at least one of Dixie or K. Rool makes the cut first. (And I don't want him as a last-minute clone, either. Frankly, the Main Monkey deserves better.)

KOS-MOS Prediction: 6.13%

Nominating Tingle x5

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
ASMR Kong

Chance- 20%
His only hopes are if he gets added as a last minute clone character or becomes part of a New Funky DLC pack. Cranky, Dixie and K. Rool all rain on his parade as well.

Want- 65%
His smile.
His eyes.
His voice.
His laugh.
His warmth.
His existence.
Him.

KOS-MO KRAMER- 4.17%
Steve X 4
Thwomp X 1

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Totally Radical Kong (or Paramilitary Kong from DK64)

Chance: 1%
Want: 10%

I'm not seeing it for this guy.

There are two obvious frontrunners for the "Next DK Rep" slot, one who's been in a few games recently and may have even been considered before, and the other who is probably the most requested first-party character worldwide. I'm really not seeing anyone come in above the two of them.

Funky also has all of the makings of a last-minute clone, so if anything, I feel like he'll be a not-DK, which is also likely to annoy people.

Honestly, the only DK game I've played is DK64, so I'm partial to the paramilitary design, but I know that won't happen (Sidenote: WTF did they do to Tiny's deisgn?). But it would be fun to see him show up as an assist or something.

Prediction for KOS-MOS: 3.5%
Nom: Skyrim stuff x5

Also, I will make a deal. If Decidueye gets chosen by yall to be one of our most overrated characters, we will do a whole pokemon day where each of the three frontrunners will be rerated.
That sounds awesome. It'd be interesting to see all three together.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Funky Kong

Chance: 25%
He's been promoted and is very relevant but there is competition Dixie, and K Rool.
It's still there but it's a small chance.

Want: 40%
He could be a cool semi clone but.... eh

Nomination Django x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Lets get Funky!

Lets start with his pros. Funky has always been a pretty well liked character, he was the cool shop owner in the Country series and 64, and it made him pretty enjoyable. He also made a playable appearance in Mario Kart Wii, a game series that very few DKC characters made it into (only Diddy has that honor IIRC), and that also gave him an even stronger following among fans. Now he has TF Switch under his belt and he's finally playable in a mainline game, and on top of that they definitely pushed the character as the game even had a reversible cover for him, so he's a character that the developers had a lot of fun with and the fans seem to be receptive to it. All in all, popularity-wise, he's in a great position this year.

However, that's where the problem comes, this year is where everything is coming together for him. Beforehand, remember that the character has been dormant in the main DK games 64, Barrel Blast if you include spinoffs. Similarly, Mario Kart Wii and Sluggers were his last appearances on the Mario side of things, which puts him in the same position as Dixie as she was also dormant since that point. Tropical Freeze for the Wii U brought him back into the spotlight, but unlike Dixie who became a playable character, he resumed his role as a shopkeeper from the older games which downplays his return factor relative to her and makes him stand out a bit less compared to Cranky who became a playable character for the first time in a mainline game. The Switch version is a great perk, but it may've come too late as it was revealed and released this year, and there's no guarantee that Sakurai knew about it during development as Retro's games do tend to not have their most recent release get substantial content in the game such as MP3 in Brawl and TF in Smash 4, possibly owing to the game being developed in a different country. As a result, we can't count on the Switch version for turning around his fortunes as it may not even be a factor for the character.

In short, Funky is a well liked character who's biggest moment may've come too late. He does have Mario Kart Wii and a good role in the original games as a shopkeeper, but relative to some of the other characters I don't think it's quite enough to make him stand out from the other candidates he's competing with.

Want: 40%
He's a fun character and I don't mind him, but I'd prefer the other DK characters.

Nominations: Monster Hunter Characterx5

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Also, I will make a deal. If Decidueye gets chosen by yall to be one of our most overrated characters, we will do a whole pokemon day where each of the three frontrunners will be rerated. I know I said I want to keep this thread tame but it will be interesting to see.
A Robin with a Hood vs. Cookie Crisp wolf vs. tiny Pikachu cosplayer

Mark your calendar folks. The match of the century.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Funky Kong
Chance: 15%
I really don't expect him to get in ahead of Dixie and K. Rool.

Want: 7%
If Dixie and K. Rool get into this Smash and we rate Funky again in 5 years for Smash 6, this score will definitely go up. But right now I'd really rather not see a recent meme get in before two characters who have been highly requested for years.

Nominate FE Switch Protagonist x5

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
F U N K Y K O N G

Whoa dudes! I've never even played a game with this bodacious bro before but with his groovy style, Funky's the monkey for Smash.

He can help you when you're down but he can't help himself, dudes.

Nominations:
Dragonite x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Funky Kong

Chance - 0.75% - A bit too late, I'm afraid. He got his own mode, but I think it's too late to really affect him. I also don't think he can make it in as a clone, so I'm not certain why he would get in. Unless "New Funky Mode" was really into it, I don't see it happening.

Want - 40% - Give me K. Rool first please. I don't care about him otherwise.

Predicitons

KOS-MOS - 5.25% - Going to have to do research first...

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know I said Mimikyu will be my final day, but I really have nothing better to do so I suppose one more day wouldn't hurt.

Funky Kong
The roster was probably decided before the Tropical Freeze port, so he has about nothing going for him. Competition from juggernauts like K. Rool and Dixie isn't doing him any favors, either.
We might see him as a low-effort clone, but I don't see that happening.

Want: 45%?
He's got sass and attitude, I'll give him that, but I'd rather have K. Rool first. However I'm not opposed to DK getting 2 newcomers (or even 3, because reps don't mean **** to me), and to be perfectly honest... *prepares flame shield* the more I think about Dixie, the more I realize I don't actually have any personal interest at her getting in... so I'll take Funky as the second DK newcomer.

Lara Croft x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Funky
Chance: 20%
I think Dixie, K Rool, or no DK newcomer are all more likely.

Indifferent.

KOS-MOS: 15%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Speed Demon Funky Kong Chance: 15%

This charismatic guy's got a fan following, for sure, but nothing else really makes puts him ahead of two other important Kongs not yet in Smash (Dixie and Cranky). He's only just now standing out as a possible candidate because of his recent epic addition to Tropical Freeze. I think it's more than reasonable to say that the timing isn't gonna work out in his favor here. I don't know if we're gonna get Dixie or Cranky, but I can't possibly see Funky getting in before either of them. Maybe DLC will help him out later on, no way to tell yet.

I can't really say no, the character's a load of fun just going by his personality already. If they could do something fun with the character (the potential is definitely there) then I'd be satisfied with this. However, it's also no higher than this because there are three other DK characters I want considerably more than him.

KOS-MOS Prediction: 16%

Nominations: Tetra x10

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Funky Kong

This guy became relevant far too late, returning to the spotlight in a game that came out just this year. He also faces competition as a Donkey Kong newcomer from King K. Rool and Dixie Kong, which have both been consistently requested since the Smash 4 speculation era. His only chances are as a DK clone, and Donkey Kong, Jr. fills that role far better than he ever could.

Want: Abstain

I should probably start playing some of these games these characters are from, huh?

Prediction:
KOS-MOS: 6.37%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x5

Troykv

Smash Master
(New) Funky Kong (Mode):

Chance: 15%

I'll stay consistent with my ratings, a giving him at least 15% for enter in the category of "First-Party Main Character under non-traditional sittuations".

Want: 60%

He's very stylish and very funky, would be cool to play with him even if he's a clone xD.

Prediction:

KOS-MOS: 6.7%

Nominations:

Decloned Dark Pit x3
Breidablik item x 2

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Funky Kong

Chance: 30%

I am so down to have this monkey trashing fools with his surfboard and fruit weapons. I love his sassy attitude in DKCTF and I've always thought he'd make an awesome fighter, ever since Brawl came out I've supported him getting in.

The most obvious thing to me about his moveset is the use of fruit weapons from DK64. I'd love to see him use Chunky's Pineapple Bazooka for both ranged and melee attacks (butting people with the bazooka for his F-Smash, as an example), and also use the bouncing orange grenades (exploding, bouncing projectiles whose trajectory can be altered? Can you imagine how hard that'd be to deal with?). But DKCTF also added other moves he could use like surfboard tricks. There should also be a way to bring in his skills as a pilot and a mechanic - for his Final Smash I keep picturing him getting into his jet barrel and bombing the stage with a very explosive watermelon.

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Funky Kong

Only just became relevant recently and faces heavy competition from K. Rool and Dixie nya. I can seem him maybe getting in as an AT, or perhaps being added for DLC nya.

Want: 45%
I just wanya see K. Rool and even Dixie make it into smash before any other DK character nya. I wouldn't despise Funky Kong being added, because I do like him and want more DK characters nya... however I'd lie if I said I wouldn't be disappointed nya. And maybe set off an explosion or two nya.

Nyominations
Eevee: x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Funky Kong Chance: 5%
Let's take a look at what pros Funky has:

+ Recency

... That's really it. Now let's look at his cons:

- Barely requested
- Has competition from both K. Rool AND Dixie, both of which are requested WAY more often and are more important characters to boot
- Tropic Freeze Switch might actually be too late to have an influence, so even his one pro might not matter

... Yeah, things don't look good for him at all.

Want: 65%
Not exactly someone I really want but he'd be cool.

KOS-MOS Prediction: 10%

Nominations: Rex/ Pyra (rerate) X5

:094:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Some housekeeping stuff.

1. Starting on 5/21, rule 2 of the OP will be abridged. Changes are in bold

-You're allowed to debate but please no flame wars. Also please refrain from non explanations, as a spirit of debate is encouraged. Posts lacking at least 2 sentences of reasoning will be invalid and your nominations will be ignored. Abstaining from a rating will not require reasoning, though it would be appreciated.

While I do like the high participation this thread gets, I do not like when people just post scores without really any argument to them. As such, starting tomorrow, if your post does not make this guideline, your nominations and score will be ignored. By ignoring nominations as well, I feel that this does apply more pressure. Note that this will not affect abstaining from a rating.

2. On June 10th, when we start the E3 schedule, there will be a purge of any nominations with less than 50 nominations. This si to be done to ensure the nominations list is not to cluttered. By letting you know now, you have from this day a chance to nominate things to be spared from the purge.

If you have any questions on this, please pm me or discuss it here. Carry on dudes.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Funky Kong
Chance - 20%
He's been around more stable than King K Rool and surely hasn't missed the Smash bus as bad as Dixie and King K Rool as both keep getting passed up. Tropical Freeze raised his relevance even more. But overall I don't think I see them picking him before at least one of the above.
Want - 50%
He's alright.

Nominations 5x Pikmin Newcomer

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Funk
Even if Tropical Freeze Switch had been released within the logical window of time, a mode is not enough to push this guy towards any level of Smash relevance.

Want: 20%
I had never even though of the possibility of him being playable, so I’ll let that speak to how much priority I give him.

KOS-MOS Prediction: 4%
Urban ChampX4
Ayumi TachibanaX1

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Funky Kong
Chance: 10% -
He could make an appearance as a last-minute clone after everyone else (along with Dixie), and in this case I think the New Funky Mode™ helps him in this case. But he won't get in before the King.
Want: 40% - Only as a clone, but I kind of like Funky.

Prediction: KOS-MOS
Chance: 4.49%
Want: 19.53%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Funky Kong: 5% Chance
Timing issues, competition but for the rest he does have a great moveset with the surfboard.
However, that's not enough for him to get in over King K. Rool, Dixie, Cranky but not impossible of course

100% Want
YEE-haw

KOSMOS: 7.4%

Balloon Fighter x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Funky Kong

In my eyes Funky has just about no chance of being a unique inclusion. If DK does get a character it's most likely to be picked based on Tropical Freeze, but it won't be him. The port definitely came too late, Dixie and Cranky were major in the original version to begin with, and both are also generally more requested anyway (especially Dixie). Then there's K. Rool, who could have gotten enough ballot support to finally overcome his lack of relevancy. I'd say Dixie's the most likely overall, with Cranky and K. Rool fairly close together. With no less than three characters definitely ahead of Funky and no real pros that help him beat them out, I see no possibility of him getting in right away. There's a small chance he'll instead get chosen as a last minute (semi-)clone, that's pretty much his only hope. Even then I really doubt it.

Want: 0%

Bleh, I want more Donkey Kong characters, but I don't want this one. I LOVE the Donkey Kong series, but to be honest, I've never really cared about Funky. There's not really a Kong I dislike, but if I had to rank all of them he'd be near the bottom because I actually care about most of the others. I that interested in his mode in the Tropical Freeze port. Also, my three favorite characters from the games are Cranky, Dixie, and K. Rool, and well...yeah. I'm not necessarily interested in Cranky being playable either - I think he'd be a great choice for an assist, if anything - but I'd definitely take him over Funky. And then Dixie and K. Rool are literally my two most wanted Nintendo newcomers so lol

He'd be an ok choice for an assist trophy too though.

KOS-MOS prediction: 4.49%

Nominations: Lip x5

Troykv

Smash Master
Can anyone tell me if KOS-MOS is a first or third-party character? Would like to know that for when we're rating her.
She is a Third-Party (Namco Bandai), but you see a lot of people nominating her because she appears in Xenoblade 2, and her series is also a Xeno-game (Xenosaga).

Top Bottom