• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Morbi

Scavenger
Rex and Pyra

Chance: 99%

The only reason I do not believe that Rex and Pyra are a guaranteed lock is because I genuinely do not know enough about the game. Maybe Pyra and Mythra will make it in instead. Perhaps they will go with a popular side character such as Nia (I believe that is her name). Or maybe they do not want the gimmick with a character and a blade, so they go with just Rex or just Pyra. Either way, it is fairly obvious that Rex and Pyra are the main protagonists. I would not mind just Pyra, myself, as Rex does not appeal to me on any level.

The timing argument does not make any sense to me. It is a great misconception starting up that the priority list is somehow set in stone and that Sakurai is apparently unwilling to adapt. I have no idea where it came from, but no where was it confirmed that they start the list and continue with it regardless of the circumstances. And Xenoblade 2 has EVERY reason to be represented in the new game. I would prepare for it, a lot of people seem to be quite delusional if they legitimately believe it is not an inevitability.

The only real chance that we do not get an X-2 character is if they give us an X-X character. I personally doubt that given Sakurai's hints. Which, by the way, ALWAYS lead to something. People always want to ignore it, but it is right there, on display, for everyone to see. We might view speculation as a game; however, he is literally just deciding characters based on different criteria. This is not an ARG.

Want: 1%

I do not want Rex or Sakurai's next attempt at a sword character. I would be down with booty shorts Pyra on her own or with Mythra; however, we are talking about Rex and Pyra. I would prefer literally almost anyone.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Eugh. Womanizers. But enough sexualizing talk.

I'd rather get the more appealing K. Rool over both of these

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Rex And Pyra

Chance: 59%

Want: 80%

Xenoblade is shown to be a growing franchise for Nintendo. So it's feasible to see another Xenoblade rep. However since this is a possible newcomer anything can go so it won't be that much higher.

I'd said yes to another rep. Besides it'd nice to see a franchise that originated in the 21st century get another rep(latest franchise with more than 1 rep is Pokemon I believe which was 1996).

Prediction

Squirtle: 28.65%

Ivysaur: 25.78%

Nomination

Lucas x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Rex & Pyra & Kazooie... wait, what?

Chance: Abstain
I'm normally not one to abstain from chance and I always try to come up with a score, but these two... I just can't come up with a chance score that feels right. I just don't know.

Want: 0%
Shulk's already more than enough from Xenoblade, so no.

Squirtle and Ivysaur Predictions: 15%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Elma from XCX is a possibility though. But, considering the negative reception XCX received
Uh...

XCX got positive reception. It got good reviews and is generally liked.

It can be controversial among Xenoblade fans but so is Xenoblade 2.

Troykv

Smash Master
Uh...

It seems now everything in Xenoblade is controversial except Shulk himself.

Just like their sibling-series (?)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Uh...

This comes from the developers themselves:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/2...devs-talk-many-female-rare-blades-super-rare/

Xenoblade Chronicles X took a different direction from Xenoblade Chronicles, so the developers grew impatient after hearing fans ask “Why did you change it?”
I would imagine that Monolith Soft developers upon receiving this negative fan reception, that it would lead to the studio generally pouring their all their development to Xenoblade 2 and favoring content from that game if there are any collaborations. Of course, around this time, half of Monolith was also working on BOTW too, but even so, if they ever get asked or ask Sakurai themselves for a Xenoblade character, it will lead to them picking Rex/Pyra. It makes the most sense business-wise and developer-wise.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This comes from the developers themselves:

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/11/2...devs-talk-many-female-rare-blades-super-rare/

I would imagine that Monolith Soft developers upon receiving this reception, that would lead to the studio generally pouring their all their development to Xenoblade 2 and favoring content from that game if there are any collaborations. Of course, around this time, Monolith was also working on BOTW too, but even so, if they ever get asked or ask Sakurai themselves for a Xenoblade character, it will lead to them picking Rex/Pyra. It makes most sense marketing wise and developer-wise.
That's a bit different from negative reception.

Critique and complaints do not equal negative reception.

NNID
Majorasmask66
Rex and Pyra

Chance: 90%

Want: 80%
Its going to be really interesting to see in what whey they implement blades into his moveset.

Nominations: Wonder Red x5

So_many_mails

Smash Apprentice
Rex and Pyra
Chance:70%
Timing is the only issue with Rex, but a different Blade could be used.
Want: 5%
They're okay I guess.

Noms:
Professor Layton x5

Predictions:
Squirtle: 8%
Ivysaur: 4%

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
That's a bit different from negative reception.

Critique and complaints do not equal negative reception.
I suppose that's a fair argument. But what about the impatience comment mentioned then? Would that not influence the Monolith Soft developer's perception of XC2 and XCX in significant ways?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But what about the impatience comment mentioned then?
Because it was commonly said?

Developers get annoyed by fan comments all the time.

Prime example: :4bayonetta:'s daddy.

Would that not influence the Monolith Soft developer's perception of XC2 and XCX in significant ways?
It would but critique always does.

This part of this thing was lame =/= I did not like this thing

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
It would but critique always does.

This part of this thing was lame =/= I did not like this thing
I suppose so, but what is the true intention of arguing this? Do you see Elma as a bigger possibility?

Or is it just mainly for correcting a misconception? If it is the latter, I suppose I have to give you my thanks.

I guess critique/reception does not actually favor the inclusion.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Or is it just mainly for correcting a misconception? If it is the latter, I suppose I have to give you my thanks.
Mainly this.

Also XCX is a good game that doesn't get enough credit.

donotbully

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Alright, save all the Xenoblade X talk for when it is Elma's day.

This is all about Rex and his Baeblade. :p

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Rex and Pyra
88% chance
Imo the single most likely newcomer(s) after Spring Man. XC2 was well received, sold well, is getting tons of DLC support, had a tv commercial, and BotW crossover stuff. and Sakurai loved it. It's happening.

100% want
XC2 is my absolute, #1 GOTY 2017, and I LOVED BotW, SMO, P5, and HZD. One of just a handful of characters I want so badly I would main them no matter how good or bad they are. Deep, well written, and lovable duo that has great character development that you can easily spend 200 hours with. So much moveset potential. The more XC2 content the better.

Noms:
Elma x5

Roberk

Smash Champion
Chance: 90%
There such strong picks this time around for Smash 5. Successful game, first party, and a barely represented franchise in Smash. Sakurai actually played the game, which is a big deal for a guy with so little time. Guess what was another game from a recently underrepresented franchise in Smash that Sakurai played before release: Fire Emblem Awakening.

Want: 25%
I feel quite neutral about Rex. I haven’t played any Xenoblade so I’d be excited to play more of a fresh series in Smash. I also don’t have that much personal investment compared to other franchises, so I’m completely fine with them not being in. One problem that I have that’s may be over saturated within this conversation at this point is the character design. Rex doesn’t seem cool, his voice is annoying, and I’ve heard his character development only comes very late in the game. Plus, while he can have a very unique style of sword gameplay, it’s still sword gameplay.

Pyra, oh boy. I love Smash. I’d personally enjoy it even more if it had some more T rated stuff, but there’s such a huge disconnect with a large portion of audiences when a game gets that rating.

I remember getting Brawl when I was much younger and since E10+ didn’t exist it was T. My parents argued, not exactly knowing it was just violence, which we were fine with in our entertainment. They opened up, but I don’t see other families being that open. That was just for the fact it was T, now it will have that rating for violence and suggestive themes if characters like Pyra are included uncensored. Smash is the kind of game I want to play at Thanksgiving with my (very young) cousins. It’s the kind of game I want to play with my very conservative friends. I want to comfortably play it in front of my parents and sister without it being awkward or the game being hidden.

Zero Suit Samus and Bayonetta push the line but Pyra seems a bit too far. If they covered her up, the conversation would just be about censorship.

TLDR: I’m fine, but Smash is for playing with others, and those people will probably not be fine.

Nominations:
Abraham Lincoln from Codename S.T.E.A.M. x5

Last edited:

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Rex and Pyra
Chance: 90% Rex and Pyra check nearly every box. They are from a popular series whose last game sold well. They have unique moveset potential with their blade tag-team thingy. Even Sakurai himself has praised the game they were in. Further, they aren't too new, as they were in development at the same time as Smash Switch. There's only one issue: the characters themselves aren't popular. Whether it's the anime designs (with fan-service galore), or just their personality in their game, people don't gravitate toward this character. Some people legitimately like them, but there is a significant number of people who don't .However, they are the face of their game, so it would be highly odd if someone else from the series got in.

Want: 10% Popularity is this duos Achilles heel. Even the supporters of this character pair admit that they have flaws. Love of the game they came from, and the diversity in movesets they could bring tends to outweigh this though. Since I don't play Japanese RPGs I have no attachment to the characters, so I don't want them in. Plus the fan-service on Pyra just bothers me to no end. Sorry, but it's a hard pass from me. Their only saving grace is how they could be implemented in an interesting way, but that doesn't do much for me.

Predictions:
Squirtle: 14%
Ivysaur: 8%

Nominations: Chibi-Robo x5

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Those want scores... Wow, I did not expect to see Rex & Pyra being that divisive.

Rex & Pyra

Chance: 75%

Xenoblade 2 is already proving to be a good success, and with Xenoblade now being an established Nintendo series with major relevancy, they got a pretty good shot at making it in. Sakurai also said he enjoyed Xenoblade 2 as well, so he might as well add them in. The only major issue I can think of is that they are a bit too new, but seeing that their game has been in development since 2014, that could give Sakurai enough time to consider them; in other words, they could be the the equivalent to Greninja in terms of their implementation.

Want: 100%

While they are not my favorite Xenoblade 2 characters (that title goes to best girl Nia and best boy Zeke), I do like Rex & Pyra. They both have their charm, and I think they can bring a lot to Smash. Namely, if they are implemented as a duo, they can make use of the whole driver and blade dynamic that Xenoblade 2 is known for, with Pyra occasionally chipping in to deal attacks on her own (perhaps in a manner similar to how Carl Clover and Ada play out in BlazBlue). Overall, him and Pyra are currently among my most wanted.

Regarding Rex's outfit, I do think he has some GREAT alternate costume potential, particularly from the late-game:

Say hello to Rex's Master Driver costume, the outfit he dons from Chapter 7 onward after unlocking Pyra/Mythra's full power as Pneuma.

Looks pretty awesome and badass, don't you think? I think it would be very cool to see in Smash.

------

Predictions:

Squirtle (Pokemon): 10.25%

Quite popular, but it is uncertain if the whole "transformation" thing will return in Smash 5.

Ivysaur (Pokemon): 7.81%

Faces most of the same issues that Squirtle has, only he is in a tougher spot due to being less popular.

------

Nominations:

Professor Layton (Professor Layton): x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I have been making analyses for upcoming characters being rated ahead of time, and noticing the list, it bothers me that an ARMs character and Rhythm Heaven character are being rated in the same day. I feel kinda frustrated as DukeNapoleon. I feel it is going to affect the ratings significantly, given the extremely different circumstances of both of these characters. I can get it if they are from the same series, but not like this. But whatever, I guess I will have to analyze ahead of time if I wanna spark some more discussion.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
I have been making analyses for upcoming characters being rated ahead of time, and noticing the list, it bothers me that an ARMs character and Rhythm Heaven character are being rated in the same day. I feel kinda frustrated as DukeNapoleon. I feel it is going to affect the ratings significantly, given the extremely different circumstances of both of these characters. I can get it if they are from the same series, but not like this. But whatever, I guess I will have to analyze ahead of time if I wanna spark some more discussion.
Yeah, kinda bothers me too to mix two series like that in one day. Also curious as to why we are rating all Gen 7 Pokemon at once when there are at least two popular choices that seem to have very different opinions. Looks like Decidueye is going to end up with his own day early on too, and A LOT of people will be voting with him in mind.

I wish we could just change this to a Decidueye and Mimikyu Day tbh

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Rex: 95%
I honestly think Rex is the likeliest character in the game after inkling. Even if they just had some concept art at the time, I bet they would have done it considering Shulk's popularity in Smash 4.

Want: 100% There's no reason to not want him for me, I loved Xenoblade 2, and I'd love to hear gramps banter since he'd be in Rex's helmet.

Squirtle: 17%
Ivysaur 13%

Snip & Clip x5

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Here we go...day twelve, the junk man and little miss hot pants.

Rex & Pyra

Chance: abstain

Despite being a Xenoblade fan, I have yet to set aside the 200+ hours I will need for XC2, nor have I done any research on what Sakurai or the world at large thinks of it (other than Rex=plain protag, which I agree with.) As such, I cannot give an accurate assessment of these characters' chances. I suppose they might be likely, considering the new release, but even Shulk himself was kind of unprecedented at the time of his induction--are they really going to keep adding Xenoblade characters with each Smash? Who knows. Perhaps Shulk is the one off, the Marth of his series. I'd be fine with that, of course...

And then there's the matter of XCX representation, which muddies the waters...are they really just going to skip all the potential there?

Yeah, I am mystified by how Sakurai will approach this.

Want: 15%

Again, I haven't played the game, so very little attachment here. The only reason I gave a score at all was because I'm a Xenoblade fan, and I want the series repped. If this had been Elma, Cross, or even the nopon in XC2 who I don't even know the name of, the percentage would be much higher. But Rex never looked even slightly interesting, and Pyra just looks like fanservice incarnate. Unless they are WAY deeper than their looks, I have no interest.

Predictions

Ivysaur: 17.89%

Squirtle: 20.05%

Nominations

Marx x2
Tethu x3

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Rex & Pyra, down the rabbit hole we go.

We are almost absolutely getting a new Xenoblade character. And given the relative timeline of things and Sakurai's praise for Xenoblade 2, signs are severely pointing towards their inclusion. There's a small chance we get Elma instead but I think her status is more towards being an AT or early trophy reveal.

In reality, however, it appears we are focusing on this specific duo... which also is likely the most likely manner in which they appear IMO (Rex as the main playable, and he summons Pyra for Arts). In that case...

Rex & Pyra (as a duo): 98%
If they aren't in base, they'll be DLC. The other percent goes towards Elma and Pyra/Mythra in some form.

(Side factor: I don't consider KOS-MOS a Xenoblade character; she's more of one of Namco's crossover regulars, and is more in the vying for an additional Namco character slot with Heiachi if you ask me.)

Want: 90%
Not a big fan of Rex but I do really like XB2's world and want it to get a character. Rex isn't KOS-MOS but I would be happy with him & Pyra.

Nominations: Celica x5

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Rex & Pyra
Chance 50%:
Due to the timing of things, I think they're 50/50. At the time Sakurai would have decided the roster Xenoblade still wasn't quite a proven entity, and he described Shulk as a character who he wouldn't typically add. Though I think a XB2 character could be DLC if not on the base roster.

Want 0%:
I haven't played the game (yet), and have no vested interest in them appearing in Smash.

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Rex & Pyra Homura

Chance: 95%
Xenoblade 2 sold over a mil in a month, plus Sakurai even talked about how much he loves the game. I'd be shocked if they don't show up.

Want: 99%
Just give me an option to make their voices Japanese. Just theirs.

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x2
Greninja x2
Endou Mamoru x1

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I just skimmed over 500 posts over the past hour so I could catch up, which was probably inadvisable but it is what it is. That argument yesterday sure was something. Today is also proving divisive as expected, although the people who think she is in are quite a bit more confident than expected. Interesting...

Rex and Pyra
Chance - 50%

I went into today think I'd rate them closer to a 25%, but having seen mentions that Sakurai has played and liked XC2 (which I'm taking on faith are accurate), I'm back up to a coin-flip like so many others. There are two primary methods of this happening: did Nintendo think highly enough of Xenoblade when Smash entered development to push Rex in as a promotional tool, and/or did Sakurai purposefully seek out their designs ahead of release due to being a fan of the series? Both of these are plausible enough that I can see it happening, and I do believe that Xenoblade being an actively developed series means that Shulk being in already isn't a significant obstacle. All that really matters is if that discussion happened between the Smash team and Monolith to make this happen, and I don't think any of us can say for certain one way or the other on that front. One thing for sure: if they aren't in the base game, they're dang near a lock for DLC assuming XC2 sold remotely well.
Want - 0%
I'm extremely biased here, on two counts:
1. I really, really dislike Pyra's design. Rex is a pretty inoffensive, generic JRPG protagonist, but Pyra...really, that outfit? Was that sort of ridiculous fan service really necessary? Personally, it was enough to make me not want to play the game despite really wanting to give the series a chance otherwise, because it gives me little faith in the rest of the product.
2. Isaac bias. Isaac getting in becomes much harder if another JRPG protagonist is in the base game, and much like I think Shulk's inclusion was the nail in the coffin for Isaac in Sm4sh, I think Rex & Pyra would do the same for Isaac in Smash for Switch. It's not necessarily a fair argument, and maybe not even one that would have consciously crossed Sakurai's mind, but it's a path of logic I can't help but follow. I've never totally gotten over Shulk's inclusion because of it, and a second Xenoblade character getting in if Isaac doesn't would hurt that much more.

Nominations - Lucina x5

Predictions
Squirtle - 14.5% Chance, 55% Want
Ivysaur - 4.5% Chance, 45% Want

I feel bad for these two. They were solid characters in Brawl, but it feels like after their exclusion from Sm4sh they are doomed to remain in the past alongside the likes of Pichu and Young Link.

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Rex and Pyra

Chance: 75%
If Sakurai likes the game, he's at least must of considered them mew. So I think it's a likely chance nya.

Want: 95%
Xenoblade 2 was really good nya and seeing any character from it in the game would be a catnip treat for me mew. :nifty:

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Rex and Pyra

99.99% Chance

The timetable for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 being in development matches up so well with Smash. XC2 was in development since 2014, which is the earliest possible time SSB5 was starting development. Given previous cases like Roy, Lucas, and Greninja, we have enough evidence to infer that Sakurai likely had a decent amount of time to see at least concept sketches of Rex and Pyra. Furthermore we know that Sakurai is a fan of the game, he as tweeted about him playing it.

I know people like to cling to the belief that side characters can get in, but in 99.99% of scenarios, the main characters are the top priority. Rex and Pyra/Mythra are the main characters of XC2. Much like how Rikki or Dunban were overlooked for Shulk, Poppi and Nia will likely be overlooked for Rex and Pyra/Mythra.

Now normally I would be a bit hesitant on a detailed moveset like this. The idea of solo Pyra/Mythra could be more interesting as people just hate Rex visually. However I doubt this will happen. Unlike a Chrom scenario, a Rex and Pyra duo would be the more unique element than just Rex or just Pyra.

To summarize, we have a duo that is paramount to a big game on the switch, has a ton of unique moveset potential as a driver/blade combo, and the timetable matches up perfect. This is the only newcomer as of now that I feel I would rate this high.

100% want

Let me talk about Mrs. Fanservice real quick. We already have fanservicy characters in Smash. ZSS has her alternate costumes that are similar to Pyra, albeit Pyra shows more leg. Bayo and Palutena can also be argued as fanservicy (watch Palutena's newcomer trailer and say she is not fanservicy I dare you) as well. I feel that at this point fanservice is not something that could knock me down on want, even if Pyra is ridiculous looking.

I know the problems with these characters in the eyes of many. Pyra is literally fanservice incarnate and that makes some people unconfortable. Rex has an annoying voice that many might not like and that his design is arguably worse than Pyra's.

I don't care.

I love XC2. The soundtrack is great. The world is a ton of fun to explore. Even the nicks towards Rex and Pyra I noted earlier I grew to love. Salvaging as Rex and bringing up a load of guff at first made me roll my eyes but soon the narm made me laugh. Pyra's design grew on me. XC2 I honestly love Xenoblade as a series. I loved X (Expect some discussion on Elma when her day comes eventually). Xenoblade is one of my favorite Wii Games. XC2 is amazing, and I love the idea that the main characters could get in Smash.

Nominating No Cuts x 5

Also as a general rule from this point onward, I know I might snipe people when they are formulating posts or they could be busy. Note that after I end the day, you have one hour to get in your votes for the day. Noms will be counted afterword still until the new day starts, but I do not want to snipe too many people.

Day Over, Calcs will be up by midnight.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Chance: 80%

They will probably show up eventually. Xenoblade 2 is the first game in the xenoblade franchise to break a million. Xenoblade has now established itself as a continuing franchise, especially since it is very likely we will get an X2 sometime down the line. And Sakurai even said he loved the game. Not to mention there is already moveset potential in how those two work together, so Sakurai would most likely think they could work. I also do think it could've been possible to know that they existed when Sakurai was making the game.

However, I wil concede that it is possible that they were too late. DLC is still a strong possibility. Though I will also admit, that the way they handled dlc last time can easily make me skeptical. After all, the only first party newcomer that came from dlc was Corrin. And that was a promotion. But maybe dlc won't be so veteran/3rd party focused this time around.

Want: 100%

I'm constantly changing my mind about who my 2nd most wanted newcomer is and who my 3rd wanted newcomer is. The other character they switch around with being Ashley. While I techially like Ashley better, I have way more hope in the possibility of Rex so they make me more excitied.

Why do I like Rex and Pyra so much then. As a person who played Xenoblade 2, I can tell you that Rex and Pyra fascinate me. It's funny, for as people complain about the design or anime cliches, as a jrpg story, it really isn't generic. You see. Most Jrpgs have a very simple pattern that they general go through. And this is also true for the first Xenoblade Chronicles. I won't say what they are because it would techically spoil a lot of things from that and a bunch of other rpgs. Now, is the first Xenoblade Chronicles bad? Of course not. Because it still has things that make it amazing. It's setting and how it handles its major plot twist are just so beautiful.

Anyway, what I am building up to is that, Xenoblade 2 doesn't follow the traditional jrpg formula. And because of that, I feel that Rex and Pyra, (and all the xenoblade 2 characters really), come out as really thought provoking characters.

And that especially has to do with the theme of Xenoblade 2.

The theme of Xenoblade 1 is generic. It's a nice enough theme, and it'll get you through to the end of the game, but the theme of it is ultimately video gamey. And that's fine. Xenoblade 1's amazing strenghts are else where.

The theme of Xenoblade 2 is different though. It's a lot more personal. It's a much more specific question. It's a subject I've asked myself. It's something I've seen others ask themselves. It's something that I've seen really effect people dramatically. It made the characters feel a lot more relateable. And it was fascinating to see how the character dealt with it. Rex and Pyra being the two people at the center of it all.

And then of course there is all the interactions with the main party members. I love the main cast of Xenoblade 2. They are probably my favorite party in all of jrpgs. I love them all.

Then there is the smash stuff. I find the idea of how Rex and Pyra could fight in smash interesting. Regardless of it they manage to actually include three blades or just use Pyra. The idea of Pyra giving backup in the background. Charging up specials to unleash devasting attacks. Hearing there various voice lines. Hearing the Xenoblade 2 music with hopefully better remix treatment than what Xenoblade 1 got. Potential stages.

So yeah. tldr love them as characters and would love to see how they play in smash and all the stuff they bring.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Ugh, I really wanted to get this one in on time, but nothing has gone right today. I'll still edit this later, but just for a placeholder:

Edit: Reasoning has finally been added.

Rex and Pyra

While in most cases I won't rank newcomers too highly, there are two in particular that I'm pretty confident will make a playable appearance. This is one of them. Firstly I honestly don't think timing is an issue here at all. Heck, this would be far from the first time a character in their position gets included, and I'm sure Sakurai could have known about them prior to release, so if anything I think the timing may actually be perfect. Additionally, Xenoblade has only gotten bigger since Shulk's inclusion, and Sakurai is a known fan; as others have mentioned he's even admitted to enjoying the game. I won't rank any newcomer possibility higher than this because it is Smash Bros. and the unexpected does happen, but this has everything going for it and I'll be shocked if they don't make the cut.

Want: 55%

While I want to, I haven't yet played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and I don't know enough about these two to truly want them. However, I ended up loving Shulk more than I expected to - he was among my favorite newcomers in 4 and I really, really like his game - so there's a chance seeing them in action would make me happy with their inclusion.

Squirtle: 12.85%
Ivysaur: 11.23%

Jibanyan x5

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Also as a general rule from this point onward, I know I might snipe people when they are formulating posts or they could be busy. Note that after I end the day, you have one hour to get in your votes for the day. Noms will be counted afterword still until the new day starts, but I do not want to snipe too many people.
Can we just set a general rule on timing then? I'm EST for example, so judging by your typical post schedule maybe saying each day rolls over at 10PM EST would be fair. Would definitely be useful so everyone knows the exact timetable they have to work with each day.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Ugh, I really wanted to get this one in on time, but nothing has gone right today. I'll still edit this later, but just for a placeholder:

Rex and Pyra

Want: 55%

Squirtle: 12.85%
Ivysaur: 11.23%

Jibanyan x5
Good to see someone else that wants Jibanyan in! He'd be awesome!

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Noms, noms, and more noms...now's time for the day 13 update!

Nominations: Day 13

Nominations List

Dillon x 110
Andy x 109
Concept : Zelda Newcomer x 107
Professor Layton x 106
Celica x 102
Shulk x 100
Bomberman x 96
Decidueye x 94
Eggman x 91
Waluigi x 90
Lucina x 90
Midna x90
Chibi Robo x 86
Skull Kid x81
Marx x 78
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 78
Shovel Knight x 77
Sora x 72
Concept: No Cuts x 71
Lucas x 70
Phoenix Wright x 69
Banjo Kazooie x 69
Micaiah x 61
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x55
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x53
Jibanyan x53
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x51
Doomguy x 51
Mewtwo x 47
Travis Touchdown x 47
New story mode x45
Geno x 43
Elma x42
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x41
Excitebiker x41
Kamek x41
Labo Related Character x 36
Simon Belmont x34
Roy x33
Urban Champion x31
Ken Masters Alt Costume for Ryu x30
Qbby (from Boxboy) x28
Funky Kong x26
Susie (Kirby) x25
Agumon x33
Ryu Hayabusa x25
Tsubasa Oribe x25
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 24
Concept Indie Character x 22
Concept: Code Name STEAM rep x22
Sans (Undertale) x22
Scizor x 21
Ashley (WarioWare) x20
Lloyd Irving x20
Arle Nadja x20
Arcade Rabbit x 20
Masked Link x19
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x18
2B x 18
Style Savvy Rep x 17
Palutena x 16
Concept: Advance Wars CO x16
Hades x15
Returning game mode: Smash Run x15
Sophitia x15
Azura x 15
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x15
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x15
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x15
Doom Slayer x15
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x15
Neku x 15
Takumi (FE Fates) x13
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Black Shadow x12
9-Volt (WarioWare) x12
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x11
Concept: New Mother Character x 10
Dark Matter (Kirby) X 10
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x10
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x10
Concept - Skyrim representation x10
Klonoa x10
Mipha x10
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Robin x 9
Pac-Man x8
Dark Samus x 8
Greninja x8
Lycanroc x8
Fawful x8
Impa x 8
Doshin the Giant x7
Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Bayonetta x7
Mimikyu x 7
Balloon Fighter x6
Concept: Custom Moves Return x6
Medusa x 6
Cloud x6
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Prince Fluff x5
Ninten x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Viridi x5
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ray (Custom Robo) x 5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Gooey (Kirby Series) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Mii Fighters x 4
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Cranky Kong x3
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x3
Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Lip (Panel de Pon) x2
King Boo x2
Tom Nook x2
Vaati x2
KOS-MOS x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Zangoose x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toon Zelda x2
Tails x 2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Dark Pit x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes) x1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Concept: Snipperclips representation x1
Tetra x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Endou Mamoru x1

Notes:

It's interesting to note that Elma got a slight boost in noms on the day of a competing character(s). Are people rallying for their preferred new Xenoblade rep...?

I think I'm gonna nominate some characters here: Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, Marshal(Rhythm Heaven), Chibi-Robo, and Alph(Pikmin) [If I can't nominate, just ignore this then!]
I once supported Marshal long ago, in the before-fore times (AKA Smash 4 speculation.) To this day, I still love him as a rep (even if Tibby's probably more likely at this point.) Kudos to you for putting him on the board!

New additions this round:

Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5

Edit: Ack! Accidentally hit post before I was done, lol.

Smasher 101 Smasher 101 I got your Jibanyan noms, just in time. They have been added.

Anyone else, I'll count your noms with tomorrow's totals, from this post on.

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom just tagging so you know where to find this for the update.

Last edited:
Top Bottom