• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My pessimistic views on Chibi Robo have not changed. But for Steve, they have. Steve still holds the merits of his game being majorly influential and having moveset potential, but I do not think Steve will happen for Ultimate's base game. I see Sakurai negotiating the remaining huge Japanese third-parties whose franchises are worldwide popular for Smash Ultimate's remaining budget for licenses. Steve still could make it into Ultimate and could be the exception to the rule due to the immense popularity, but I doubt it will happen. I am somewhat inclined to believe that if we get any Minecraft content, it will be in the form of stages and other content, but not character. DLC is a notable possibility for Steve though (if post-game content happens at all).

--------

x10 Leon Kennedy

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Steve

Chance: 10% - Incredibly popular and recognizable character. However, I don't know if that'll be enough for him. With so many 3rd Parties already, I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai's already stretched thin with all the developers' contracts already. I also don't see Steve being a character Microsoft would be pushing for, nor do I see Sakurai going for him.

Want: 0% - I've no interest in more 3rd Parties joining the roster.

Chibi-Robo

Chance: 5% - Poor little guy. I think we'd be lucky to see him an an Assist Trophy, really.

Want: 40% - I used to really root for him, but my desire to see him in Smash has died down a bit. Not expecting to see him, so I wouldn't really be hurt if he doesn't show up, but I think it'd be pretty cool if he did.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x10

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Steve
Chance: 5% A third party, on a competitor's console. It's not impossible, but I think it's unlikely.
Want: 30% I'm not sure I buy the argument about him marketing the game to kids. If a kid has a Switch, just based on the marketing that goes on, their probably going to get Smash Bros.

Chibi-Robo:
Chance: 15% It's good news, bad news with his chances. The good news is, based on the planning documents, we know his two games were at the right time to be considered for Smash Brothers. The bad news is that Simon Belmont might steal Chibi-Robo's uniqueness as a whip-user. And it doesn't help that his franchise is dead.
Want: 100% My most wanted newcomer, just because I feel so bad for the character. Just put him in Smash already, and his series will do much better.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Steve?

Chance - 7.5% - Yeah, with a tighter roster think more off the beaten path choices are less likely. Due to his extreamly limited design, it's hard to eek out a moveset for him. I also believe that terraforming has no place in Smash Brothers, which, y'know, is the main thing going for him. Without that, he's a terrible choice.

Want - 30% - A stage? Sure, give Minecraft a stage. A character, though? No thanks, it'd be boring.

Chibi-Robo

Chance - 0.75% - With so few choices, a dead non-retro rep is doomed. His series floped, and now is considred dead.

Want - 70% - I think his franchise deserves a second chance. He showed promise, but sadly never caught on.

Predictions

Banjo Kazooie - 15.28% - Should go down a bit...

Andy - 6.45% - Not much hope for him, is there?

Nominations

Nihilego X10

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Microsoft Minecraft Steve
Super blocky amazingness. The thing is, that requires adding yet another 3rd party to negotiations. Additional bureaucracy. While Minecraft is popular, it's less clear how popular Steve is, how much people would want Steve vs. a Minecraft stage or the like also providing representation.

The other thing is that if you were going to negotiate with Microsoft for a character... Banjo-Kazooie is very clearly the character you'd want to go for. The duo is one of the top requests in the US and ranks pretty high in popularity in Japan as well (especially when limited to newcomers). They have serious history with Nintendo and fit the Nintendo/Smash aesthetic very well. Maybe at the same time you negotiate for some kind of Minecraft representation, but it seems that with limited slots for newcomers, B-K is such a superior choice.

The Vergeben leak makes me think that Minecraft getting a stage is likely (although I don't trust the leak 100%, it still makes it more likely than not), so it's not totally implausible that it's accompanied by Steve as a fighter. But it's also very plausible that either A) the only MS related content is a Minecraft stage since Minecraft has been released on Nintendo platforms and thus it might be easier to negotiate for specifically or B) Minecraft gets a stage, but B-K is playable and Steve is not. I think both of these are more plausible than Steve being playable, given that the demand for Steve as a playable character seems relatively low, while B-K would be the more obvious fanservice choice if you were getting Microsoft to agree to a playable character.

(TBH it would've made more sense to me to rate Steve and Banjo-Kazooie on the same day... Andy and Chibi-Robo also go together better as reps from unrepped minor Nintendo series)

Steve chances: 20%
I would probably be rating him like 5% if not for the Vergeben leak. I don't see him as much of a contender independent of that and tbh I see it as helping Banjo-Kazooie more since B-K would be a much stronger case for inclusion if they were both independent 3rd-parties (without the Microsoft connection).
Steve want: 0%
No thanks. Voxel avatar does not appeal to me.

Chibi-Robo
This is a very minor series. He would fit pretty decently and certainly has material for a move set. Battery life could be used as a gimmick, although it might play a bit too similarly to the Inklings' ink tank.

Chibi-Robo is a character that, if his games had sold millions of copies each, would be a shoo-in. Unfortunately, Chibi-Robo does not seem to have the popularity among the Smash base or as indicated by sales to make him seem like a strong contender. If Sakurai thought about him and came up with an amazing way to do his move set, he might get in nonetheless. But it's unlikely.

(Also, to throw in an old Ridley-style argument "Chibi-Robo IS TOO SMALL!")

Chibi-Robo chances: 5%
Chibi-Robo want: 51%
I'm mostly indifferent to this character. But the design is cute and seems like he'd be fine as a fighter.

Nominations:
Tetra x10

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Steve want: 0% (1-10*)

Steve digging around and crafting isn't compelling to me as a moveset. I think Minecraft would be better represented by a stage and items.

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters
Chibi-robo want: 0% (2-10*)

I like his design, and I think it fits the Smash aesthetic great, but I don't find his moveset interesting enough to have him bump out many characters.

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Nominations:

Neku x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Runic_SSB Runic_SSB is gonna not be happy with this one

Steve
35% Chance
0% want

Look I may not like Minecraft but it is a juggernaut. It is easily one of the biggest games of all time. I find it hard pressed to find someone who does not know Minecraft. I could easily see Minecraft getting something, especially if things go well for Banjo.

Not a Minecraft fan, so I will just say if it happens I will only like the music and stuff.

Chibi Robo

1%Chance
1% want

A series I have never played, have no interest in, and is pretty dead? Seems like an easy rating. Sorry Chibi Robo fans, but I would say that there’s a huge line of new series newcomers before him.

Nominating smash run x 10

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
Chibi Robo Chance: 0%
Unremarkable character from a dead series, almost certainly not happening.
Chibi Robo Want: 0%
Don't see any need for this character.
Steve Chance: 7%
If we get any new third party character it'll be from a company that already has a presence in Smash.
Steve Want: 0%
I actually like Minecraft but I think a stage is all the representation it needs.
Nominations x10 Zelda Newcomer rerate

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hmm
Steve
Chance 15%
While I think Minecraft representation is likely, I don't necessarily think means playable character. We know you don't need a playable character to be represented. Just look at Bomberman. But that also doesn't mean he won't be playable so it could go either way. But I'm leaning towards no just because of how much of non-character he is
Want 45%
If he is, that guarantees Minecraft stage which I would adore, and boost Banjo and Kazooie chances. But I don't really want the character himself

Chibi Robo
Chance 33%
He had a new game on the horizon when development started and he has been recurring franchise for Nintendo, but he is kinda small as franchise.
Want 60%
Knowing that this is likely his last chance makes me hope he gets a bone thrown, but otherwise I don't really have much connection with him

Prediction
Banjo Kazooie 22%
Andy 14%

Nominate Parabo and Satebo x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Leon Kennedy x372
Slippy Toad x311
Tingle x305
Lloyd Irving x275
Sakura Shinguji x263
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x262
Neku Sakaruba x260

Over 200:

Kamek x245
Smash Run x245
Wonder Red x242
Concept: Monster Hunter character x240
Fawful x239
Parabo & Satebo x234
Ryu Hayabusa x230
Linkle x225
Tetra x224
Scorpion x211
Thwomp x206

199-150

Labo Guy/Robot x195
Primarina x195
Ray x188
Balloon Fighter x185
Tails x185
Katrielle Layton x183
DeMille x183
Papyrus x175
Django x175
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x155
Fire Emblem Treehouses Protagonist x155
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150
Tsubasa Oribe x150

149-100

Dragonite x147
Louie x145
Ayumi Tachibana x142
Concept: Female Announcer x130
Barbara x122
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x114
2B x111
Susie x104
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x103
Rowlet x100

99-75

Neptune x98
Viewtful Joe x95
Nikki x95
Gooey x94
Klonoa x87
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x85
Tora & Poppi x82
Fjorm x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Rick/Coo/Kine x69
Viridi x67
Yu Narakumi x66
Breidablik Item x65
Raiden x65
Zeraora (Pokémon) x64
Toon Zelda x64
Endou Mamoru x62
9-Volt x62
Concept: Historical Character x60
Incineroar x60
Nihilego x60
Concept: All-Star Versus x59
Concept: Hanafuda character x59
Concept: Style Savvy character x58
Slime x58
Concept: Wars character x53
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x50

49-26:

Concept: Only 4-6 newcomers for base roster x45
Rhythm Girl x40
Ninten x40
Chorus Kids x35
Concept: Chun-Li as an assist trophy x35
Reinhardt Gets a Trophy x35
Concept: More than five unique newcomers x30
Tapu Koko x30

Under 25:

Edelgard x20
Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist x20
Ken x15
Master Chief x10
Concept: Custom Alternate Colors x10
Xenoblade X Avatar/Cross x10
[Rerate] Spyro x10
Concept: SR388 stage x5
Alm x5
Nia x5
Medusa x5

Changes:

Leon Kennedy not only breaks 300 noms, he smashes it so much he is now the new leader and nearly on 400 nominations.
Slippy remains 2nd, leapFROGging Tingle. Hehehe...they both break 300 noms, by the way.
Despite only getting five noms, Sakura still gains a position into 5th over FE Heroes Summoner
Smash Run, Fawful, and Thwomp break 200 noms
Rowlet breaks 100 noms
Raiden, Incineroar, and Nihilego break 50 noms
Ninten, Reinhardt Trophy, Tapu Koko, and a concept break 25 noms
New addition: A rerate of Spyro (x10)
Ignored ones: one for Shadow, one for Lip - already rated or about to be rated, fellas.

I encourage discussion but, since I have to count the nominations, I have the right to express the following feeling towards the Geno conversation:

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Steve

Chance: 5%. Pretty popular though I don't think Nintendo would actually go through with it.
Want: 0%. Not a fan of Minecraft and there are way better 3rd party reps out there. Not to mention Banjo would easily be the best Microsoft rep.

Chibi

Chance: 10%. Fairly requested over the years though he hasn't been relevant for a while and his last game bombed.
Want: 40%. I've never actually played a Chibi Robo game though he seems to have a lot of potential and a playable appearance in Smash could revive the series.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
A series I have never played, have no interest in, and is pretty dead?
I haven't played it and am not particularly interested either, didn't rate him as having high chances.

BUT Chibi-Robo got new games in both 2014 and 2015. While it's obviously not a highly active series like Pokemon which gets a new game practically every year, it's not necessarily "dead". Plenty of series don't get a new entry every year.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Steve is in an interesting spot, I suppose. Minecraft is the sole IP Microsoft own that they are willing to share on Nintendo systems. While many would clamor for Banjo and Kazooie, the blockhead seems to pulling all the right moves on Nintendo as they remain dormant. An adored, but lost in time franchise and character such as Banjo has little hope to compete against the massive moneymaking series cherished by millions of kids today, and one that will forever be held as an iconic gaming series until the end of time.

Steve is potentially an underdog as a top ballot contender. Sure, he's not asked much on websites with Nintendo fanatics and purists around, but globally he has incredible range. The argument that "people only like the game itself, not Steve" is moot when merchandise involving the character is in high demand and accessible to purchase. Clearly people like the character enough.

Would Nintendo and Microsoft be willing to negotiate? Possibly? Would it be easy? Well...there lies the problem. With Microsoft being a direct rival, it changes the ball game. Nintendo already have Minecraft on their console, so what else would they gain from Microsoft in return? They certainly won't get much support from them on their system unlike SEGA, Square, Capcom, Bandai, and Konami who are independent companies that develop games based on deals and fair trade. Is it possible Microsoft lend some of their other series to Nintendo? Not likely. If they did, they would have put Battletoads on the Switch to boost sales, as that's where most people played the series prior and where their market could be found for such a game.

Would Banjo be on the Switch? They didn't port Rare Replay despite their recent relationship, even though hat's where the majority of the franchise's fans are at.

The relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft is beneficial for big hitters like Minecraft. Microsoft get to put their game on another platform, whilst Nintendo gain some of that rich Minecraft pie as financial compensation. The people who want Minecraft on Switch already have a reason to get a Switch - the game itself. Steve in Smash would not change much. Would he break the Internet and add some hype? Yes. Would he increase sales? Maybe a bit, but I don't see sandbox genre fans going towards a fighting game in numbers. The people who play Minecraft on Switch are most likely Nintendo fans already, too. Why would the Xbox One or Steam player buy the console for one character?

So while he is popular, from a marketing standpoint I don't see how it works out for Nintendo's benefit at all. Smash will sell well regardless, and the hard work to obtain any sort of long-term benefit outside of Ultimate is near non-existent for them.

Chibi-Robo is a neat idea, and its possible that when the project was put into place he wasn't entirely out of the picture, but the little fellow seems to be going on a downward spiral. An appearance in Smash would be interesting, but I can't see him being a ballot contender or character Sakurai wants to add on love or potential.

Ninten x2
Ken x3

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
While it's obviously not a highly active series like Pokemon which gets a new game practically every year, it's not necessarily "dead".
Actually, this isn't quite the case. The producer of Chibi-Robo said that, "To be honest, [Zip Lash] might be the last chance for us." While there may be a case for it to simply go dormant, the extremely poor sales of Zip Lash alongside a series that never sold especially well in the first place means that the series has run out of chances and will likely not be used in a long while.

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Steve
Chance: 5% / Want: 0%
Seeing the game in action and the idea behind it as well as all the 3rd parties returning... Steve doesn't fit in imo.

Chibi Robo
Chance: 5%/ Want: 30%
He isn't big enough to become playable and certainly not in this game with limited spots. I wouldnt mind him though.

Nominations: Neku x 5

andimidna

Smash Master
Steve:

I still think it’s too early to call this block an icon lmao. There’s plenty of 3rd party options, many that have been iconic and requested for years that are still just as popular. Personally, I think a new flavor of the month 3rd party with so little relevance to nintendo and such a stylistic difference from the cast would stand out like a sore thumb, but like an exception was made for Bayonetta because of Bayonetta 2 and the ballot, I could see this being an exception to what we’ve generally seen for 3rd parties. I’m not counting on it, moreso dreading the possibility
Chance: 15%
I’d be even less surprised to see him as DLC, but a stage would be far more fitting at representing Minecraft
Want: 0%
My least wanted character along with Sans, the Sonic cast, and formerly Waluigi lmao

Chibi Robo:
If Dillon has a rough shot, then what chance does Chibi Robo stand oop. I’m guessing his game would’ve came out just after most decisions were made so maybe they wouldn’t know it flopped after getting attached to a moveset concept? His chance isn’t nonexistent at least. It’s been much better in the past though imo
Chance: 7%
Want: 60%
I like his design and his game looks kinda fun

Predictions:
Banjo: 21%
Hmm this could go both ways huh? If you believe vergeben, there’s Minecraft content possibly in the form of a stage, etc
I could see Geno believers using similar logic for this. Hard to tell what ppl will say
Andy: 4.75%
Nominating Hanafuda character again

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I thought that was only to have one's nominations count. Has it changed? I haven't been following this thread closely during the rerates.
It is elaborate enough. It is for scores and noms for reference.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Steve

Chance: 35%

Want: 5%

I really dread the thought of Steve in the game but I do recognize that if Microsoft were to have a character in this game, it would probably be him or Master Chief.

Chibi-Robo

Chance: 25%

Want: 10%

The character is popular but his series died with Zip Lash. I don't see him getting in. Also prefer to have other unrepresented Nintendo series in (you can obv guess what that is) over CR.

Prediction

Banjo 23%
Andy: 8%

As an Andy supporter, i'm bracing myself for all the "Advance Wars is dead" and "something something Sami" posts tomorrow. Well mostly the former but still. i.e. People jumping to their inclusions and making gross exaggerations of the situation.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Steve:

He has, out of any Microsoft representation, the best chance as Minecraft is on Nintendo systems. However, outside of his series receiving any representation (stage, assist trophy, or just a regular trophy), I don't personally see him making it into the game. He does have potential for a moveset unlike anyone else on the roster, which does bump his chances up, but I doubt that he pulls any actual weight as he doesn't necessarily represent an aspect of video game history or genre, nor is he as iconic like most of the third parties already in the roster. And I doubt if Microsoft would want a rep, they'd push him specifically. Unless he somehow gets through the fighter ballot, but I don't think he's among the "realizable characters"
Chance: 19%
I don't hate the idea of Minecraft being represented in Smash, I actually enjoy and like the idea, but Steve as a character isn't something I want to see as he doesn't really mesh at all with the cast of Smash Ultimate, especially next to the third parties.

Chibi Robo:

His last game didn't preform commercially well, and he's pretty much unknown to the majority. So I doubt that he will be able to make it into Smash Ultimate with the exception of being an assist trophy. However, his games were around the same time that characters are ripe for consideration and could have an interesting movest, so that gives him a higher probability, but not by much. Sadly, this little guy won't ever hit the battlefield as a playable character thanks to his lack of popularity and sales.
Chance: 10%
Want: 60%
This is a character ever since the Brawl days I'd always liked to see in the game, but always knew that it'd be highly unlikely. He has an interesting design and could reinvigorate his own series with his inclusion, which I'd really like to see.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Steve
- Minecraft is very popular.
Want: 1%
- Meh. Not really interested. I’d rather have Goku.

Chibi Robo
Chance: 9%
- Its last game didn’t really do that well.
Want: 5%
- It wouldn’t upset me.

Predictions
Banjo: 14.4%
Andy: 6.2%

Nominations
Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x4
Neptune (Neptunia Series) x1

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Steve
Chance: 5% A third party, on a competitor's console. It's not impossible, but I think it's unlikely.
Want: 30% I'm not sure I buy the argument about him marketing the game to kids. If a kid has a Switch, just based on the marketing that goes on, their probably going to get Smash Bros.

Chibi-Robo:
Chance: 15% It's good news, bad news with his chances. The good news is, based on the planning documents, we know his two games were at the right time to be considered for Smash Brothers. The bad news is that Simon Belmont might steal Chibi-Robo's uniqueness as a whip-user. And it doesn't help that his franchise is dead.
Want: 100% My most wanted newcomer, just because I feel so bad for the character. Just put him in Smash already, and his series will do much better.
I don't think Steve? is getting in. But Minecraft is on Nintendo's console as well

Ryu is a third party that's available on a competitor's console as well. So is Mega Man, Pac Man, Sonic, etc.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
We *just* ranked Steve not that long ago.
God, the game will be out before we start getting nominated stuff back here.

Steve
Chance: 5% -
Limited roster space and a goal to please the masses basically kills Steve's chances; juggernaut of a franchise it is, it has next-to-nothing on the Smash fanbase. Even the most casual of gamers don't have Steve on their list.
Want: 0% - I hate Minecraft. No thanks.

Chibi-Robo
Chance: 15% - ...he's owned by Nintendo. That counts for something. That said, he's not really relevant right now or even around the time of roster finalization, and doesn't have the fanbase of Isaac, K. Rool, etc.
Want: 15% - Unless he plays exactly like in SSF2. Love him their; don't know how I'd feel about him in Ultimate.

Nominations
Sakura Shinguji x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Steve

Minecraft is literally everywhere nya; on nyur pc, on nyur 3ds, on nyur WiiU, on Xboxwhatever, on Playstation #, on nyur phone, everywhere. So is Hatsune Miku, but I don't see her being rated nya.:nifty: And Minecraft is hugely popular nya... If we get any Microsoft character, it'll likely be Steve nya.

I don't play Minecraft, and Minecraft never nyappealed to me nya... I fail to properly comprehend anyone who wants him nya, sorry.:nifty:Seeing Steve revealed will likely make me cry tears of blood and paint my entire room red with my own vomit nya.
Opinion hasn't changed nya.

Chibi Robo

Opinion hasn't changed nya. His series was killed and could only happen based on his popularity nya~ I could see him being an AT nya.

Want: 75%
Opinion hasn't changed nyaaaaaa. He's cute and I think he could be fun nya~

Nyominations
Tingle: x10

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Steve:
Chances: 10%
I honestly thought about making this even lower, but after hearing some people's reasons for wanting him to be in... maybe? I still don't see it happening, but I can't deny the prominence and business benefits it would have.
I think that this might be the only character I'm going to end up putting this low for want. I don't want Steve at all. I never got into Minecraft. As a younger kid, I never really bought in to the hype, even when a lot of my friends and other kids were always talking about it. I eventually tried it out for myself and... I didn't really care for it. It didn't interest me. And quite frankly, I don't like the artstyle at all. Steve would look stiff and ugly next to all the well modeled characters in Smash imo (Yes, including Game and Watch. He's at least proportionate and has some charm to his design). He'd make a lot of kids happy, which I guess is cool, but I still wouldn't like his inclusion myself. Maybe I'm being a little unfair, and I'm sure that there would be quite a lot of people happy if Steve got in, but I can't say that I'd be one of them.

Chibi Robo:
Chances: 30%
Not looking too hot for the little dude. He does have a decent number of games under his belt, but they do seem rather niche. That said, he does have something of a following that makes him seem somewhat plausible, even if his series is done. He's popped up from time to time in Smash speculation, so yeah, I could see it, though I don't see him making it in over some more popular picks.

Want: 55%
He's cute, and I liked Photo Finder well enough from what I played. I wouldn't necessarily be excited if he got in, but I think he'd be a pleasant addition to the roster.

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Still doesn't feel like a day that I can really rate these characters presented, so I'm double abstaining from both characters and predictions.

------

Nominations

Only 4-6 newcomers in Smash Ultimate's base roster: x5

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
We *just* ranked Steve not that long ago.
God, the game will be out before we start getting nominated stuff back here.

Steve
Chance: 5% -
Limited roster space and a goal to please the masses basically kills Steve's chances; juggernaut of a franchise it is, it has next-to-nothing on the Smash fanbase. Even the most casual of gamers don't have Steve on their list.
Want: 0% - I hate Minecraft. No thanks.

Chibi-Robo
Chance: 15% -
...he's owned by Nintendo. That counts for something. That said, he's not really relevant right now or even around the time of roster finalization, and doesn't have the fanbase of Isaac, K. Rool, etc.
Want: 15% - Unless he plays exactly like in SSF2. Love him their; don't know how I'd feel about him in Ultimate.

Nominations
Sakura Shinguji x5
You hate Microsoft

Curious if you would reject Banjo Kazooie, since he's also a Microsoft character

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't hate Microsoft. I hate Xbox.
...and Windows 10 but eh
Oh I misread, it says "I hate Minecraft"

I was just curious if there were people that are against a Microsoft rep but would still support Banjo Kazooie

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You hate Microsoft

Curious if you would reject Banjo Kazooie, since he's also a Microsoft character
Nobody considers Banjo-Kazooie a Microsoft character though. They’re Rare, and all of their appearances were on Nintendo consoles (or at least that’s what I like to pretend).

Edit: ack, ninja’d

Last edited:

BrytonJ

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5522-4120-7832
Steve

Chances: 15%
I feel like Steve wouldn't work in smash for a lot of reasons, mostly animation related. I just think they won't put him in because it's too hard to make him both true to his original series and not look like garbage. Bendy shapes and true to life animations always look really bad on minecraft models but at the same time I can't see Sakurai just having him look like he's just standing there like he does in his own game. Like if he fires an arrow will he just stand there with him arm out while the bow goes through the animation, or would his arms actually bend into the proper shape? Both would look bad and for that reason I think he won't be in. On the other hand, minecraft is really popular so I guess there's that. Don't think Sakurai would force a character that doesn't work into smash just because he's from a popular series.

Want: 20%
There are lots of cool options for moves what with all his different items and stuff but again, I think the animations would look terrible. I'd prefer Banjo & Kazooie as a microsoft rep anyways (or Master Chief if that were even possible.)

Chibi-Robo

Chances: 20%
There are a lot of cool opportunities with this character and I think Sakurai could see this. The problem is that he sits in that awful grey middle period between relevant and retro, basically a dead zone. On the other hand, Zip-Lash came out near where the project plan was finished so that makes me a little more hopeful.

Want: 100%
My most wanted character by far. Chibi-Robo on gamecube was the first game who's pre release stuff I followed until it finally came out and it fills a very special place in my heart and is one of my all time favourites. Every new smash game has introduced one character from one of my favourite series: Melee with Ice Climber, Brawl with Pikmin, and 4 with Animal Crossing. I don't want to see that streak broken!!

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Steve want: 0%
Possibly my most hated video game newcomer idea. I hate Minecraft, I hate its ugly artstyle, I hate its fanbase and I hate all the children using Steves I'd see online. Keep him as far away from Smash as possible. Even Pink Gold Peach would be better.

Chibi Robo want: 40%
I was rooting for him... but with limited slots, sorry, there's others I'd prefer.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Surely it wouldn't JUST be Steve?

It'd be Steve? and Alex

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Steve from Minecraft - 1%: People make a big deal out of Minecraft on a Nintendo console when the only thing that even makes Minecraft resemble a good game is the mods for it. Minecraft is obviously very big, but if you know anything about the playerbase, the people who play it are the kind of people who play nothing but it. They may dedicate a lot of time to video games, but their choice of video games they dedicate that time to is as casual as it gets and has little to no overlap with Smash. I would honestly wager that there is a bigger overlap in the amount of people who play Halo and Smash than those who play Minecraft and Smash. Generically including a player character everybody renames as a newcomer in Smash isn't going to make them interested in it all of a sudden. He would also need an extensive terraforming mechanic to be remotely in-character, which would be very annoying to program on every stage.

Steve from Minecraft Want - 0%: I don't like Minecraft's style of "gameplay." If there was to be a Minecraft rep, Notch should be added.

Chibi Robo Chance - 2.5%: His franchise has largely died and the final games in it had very poor sales numbers. He would make for a fairly interesting set but I don't see Sakurai choosing him just for that.

Chibi Robo Want - 23%: A fairly high want score to a character I have no connection with. He would be repping a pretty cool little looking set of games, and he would have a great niche as the smallest character in the game, along with using his power cord as a weapon. Still, he does not feel very deserving, so I cannot put his want very high.

Nominate Fawful x10

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Chibi Robo

Chance: 7%
He's always had a small and dedicated fanbase, and his last game came out the same year that the first project proposal was given, so he would've been fresh on people's minds and could've had a bit of a push in the ballot. However, that's where his positives end as his last game was pretty much a flop despite having some (though not much) backing to it, and based on the words of the developers it was his last chance to keep the franchise going, which means it's likely dead or at least dormant for the time being. Since Sakurai likes characters that have a future, the fact that Chibi Robo's is uncertain is not good for the poor guy, and unfortunately that may cause him to get overlooked for other characters.

Want: 55%
I'm ambivalent on the series as a whole, but he would be a fun character and it'd be nice to give him some recognition.

Steve: Double Abstain

Nomination: Monster Hunter Character x5

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
I think this video makes enough sense:
SPOILER!! The part about Thanos is a joke. Don't close the video instantly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think this video makes enough sense:
SPOILER!! The part about Thanos is a joke. Don't close the video instantly.
That's nothing we haven't discussed in this thread before.
Also this video was very painful for me to watch. I don't feel that those points are very compelling, and I've heard them more than enough time to get sick of them.

Top Bottom