• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Celica
Ok, so from what I gather Celica uses a sword (which looks somewhat rapier-like) and can use magic. Which makes her sound pretty similar to Robin. But her sword would probably have more range than the swords used by Robin. In Fire Emblem Warriors, her moveset is based off Marth, which... I would hope is not the direction they'd go in Smash.

Either way, she Fire Emblem is already over-represented, getting three newcomers in Smash 4. Now we have Marth, Lucina, Roy, Ike, Robin and Corrin. Do we need a 7th representative? And if we get one, does it need to be one that's similar to one of the already existing characters? Especially given that we already have a Marth Echo and a Marth semi-clone? On the other hand, adding Celica as a Robin echo would be a plausible route, even if a bit boring. But that would make her an easy addition.

I understand that Fire Emblem fans are passionate and the series is doing just fine in sales, and with DLC and Virtual Console rereleases it might be doing more money for Nintendo than pure physical sales numbers suggest, but it's simply not a blockbuster series like Mario, Pokemon or Zelda, the only series with equal or larger rosters. Their fans will always want more, but they do have to consider that other series with less representation might please more fans (given that FE fans could hardly complain that they've been ignored). I would think that at this point, a FE character might need more than simply being the latest thing - they need to bring something new to Smash as well. You could tell that was on the Smash team's mind in Smash 4 - hence the two unique newcomers, Robin and Corrin, were significantly different from previous FE reps.

I'm not sure Celica brings enough new to the table.

Celica chances: 6%
Fire Emblem doesn't have great chances for a newcomer this time around, I'd think. It's plenty represented. But who knows, maybe Sakurai will see fit to give FE three more newcomers while leaving DK out in the cold. Again. But I'd be surprised. Also there are a fair number of other FE characters that could work.
Celica want: 1%
I don't really want to see any new Fire Emblem characters, but I especially don't want ones that use a sword. I know those games have spears and axes and bows and other things. It's not my fault the developers feel the need to make basically every prominent character use a sword.

Paper Mario
There's also a bit of a representation issue here. The Mario series has 8 characters + two spinoffs and two "associates" (if you consider the DK and Mario series linked, given that Mario and DK debuted in the same game). But there's no Mario RPG rep, and Paper Mario would likely have a significantly different moveset, utilizing some paper-based moves (like a paper airplane up-B) and a hammer.

He would, on the other hand, be a third version of Mario. I'd note that Paper Mario got a stage in Smash 4, so the series has been on Sakurai's radar at least somewhat.

Paper Mario chances: 14%
Ultimately, I think he's not terribly likely since while Mario is a mega-franchise and could justify having more reps (hence Daisy already), another version of Mario wouldn't likely be high on the priority list. But he would represent a different sub-series and would be a unique fighter.
Paper Mario want: 58%
I like some of the Paper Mario games, but I'd rather see some other series get some love. I would be fine with him though.

Nominations:
Tetra x5

Also, whilst a little off-topic (though mentioned often when suggesting Rayman's chances), why is everyone considering Simon Belmont the likeliest 3rd party? Is it just because of the supposed leak? We... we have learned our lesson about trusting those 100%, haven't we?
If people were trusting the leak 100%, Simon's chance rating would be 100%.

But having multiple aspects confirmed (no cuts, ICs, Snake, Ridley) makes the leak seem more likely than not to be legit. But even if you think the leak is only 50% likely to be legit, add that with the chance the leak is made up but Simon's included anyway, his chances should be >50%... which would still be a pretty high rating for a 3rd party.

Some people might be going overboard, but the ratings on average definitely aren't people trusting the leak 100%.

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Paper Mario

Chance - 18.5% - Just some slight shrinkage from last time due to a tighter roster. Otherwise I think he's in the same position he was in before; a once popular character who's had some controversial games that has severely decreased his popularity. He has okay chances, but not great until something special happens to make him come back into the spotlight.

Want - 50% - Don't care.

Celica

Chance - 0.5% - The best shot she had was the remake, and that turned out to be too late. Coming from a franchise already under criticism for getting too much attention, and you have a recipie for little chance.

Want - 20% - I only really want Anna as a Fire Emblem character. I'd rather not have her as Fire Emblem has enough characters otherwise.

Predictions

Shovel Knight - 13,45% - Not likely...

Shantae - 9.46% - Indies are in for a rough ride.

Nominaitons

Nihilego X5

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario:
Chance: 50%
I dunno honestly. He could work pretty well, and there is a reasonable demand for him, but I just wonder whether it's enough demand. We do have a lot of Mario characters, and I'm not sure how much Sakurai would want to put in another, even if he's from a side series, especially considering the lukewarm to negative reception of the recent PM games. It's a Maybe for sure.

Want: 40%
He'd be neat, and I do like the Paper Mario games, but like I said, we do have a lot of Mario, and I'm not sure if I really want another Mario, even if he could be plenty unique. I think Dr. Mario is all I need for a spin-off version of Mario honestly.

Celica:
Chance: 30%
Maybe? Sakurai does like Fire Emblem, but I'm sure that even he can see how many Fire Emblem characters we have now. It's a toss up. But considering the limited Newcomer slots this time around, I do have my doubts that he would include her, since I do think that she wouldn't be received quite as positively as many other potential characters.

Want: 25%
Hmmmmmmm on one hand, I have played a bit of Echoes, and I think it's really good. And Celica is pretty badass, much cooler than boring ol' Alm. Buuuuuuut I don't really want another Fire Emblem character, especially one that yet again is a sword user. Sure, she's got magic to back her up, but I think Robin is enough for a sword/magic user. I guess I could say that I wouldn't be too steamed if she got in, but I probably would give out a sigh of discontent. Better than Alm, but do we really need another Fire Emblem Sword Lord?

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Paper Mario

Paper Mario:

This character is kind in a opposite direction... Paper Mario (ironically) lives of his uniqueness and his beloved (not so much nowadays) sub series.

Chance: 25%

He is interesting without a doubt, and would be appealing to Sakurai.

Want: 50%

I need to see him in action before leave my neutrality.

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x3
Celica (Fire Emblem) x2
Nothing special to say; just a general downgrade because of the nothing in particular benefit him that it wasn't already explained that day...

Chance: 20%

-----

Celica

Celica, the ginger princess

Chance: 40%

I think this is the highest I can go with a Fire Emblem Character right now... I mean, we don't have the obvious FE Choice this time, and Sakurai had become extremely more careful selecting new FE Characters... but the probabities of a new FE Character are still above 75%... Celica is one of them and nowadays the one in the best position to be a playable characters thanks to being the protag of a the latest main game, not being a Marth clone (Warriors is an exception because well... that game needed to force some characters late in the development) and overall appealing design.

I'm neutral with her, I like and dislike things about her in pretty much equal levels; also I have a friend that would like to play as her in an enviroment that doesn't make her look dumb.

Nomination time:

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5
The probabilities of a new Fire Emblem Character are... weird nowadays... It depends a lot of what the hell is searching Sakurai for a new moveset and new Echo Fighter.

Celica is in this weird spot where as a new character she would be very unlikely... But as an Echo Fighter?... Who knows:?:... She had been very popular in 2017 and 2018; so it's at least a idea to consider.

I'll consider both possibilities in my overall rating.

So... yeah, the score is a bit lower; but still in the high side IMO.

Chance: 35%

Predictions

Shovel Knight: 11.3%
Shantae: 11.4%

Nominations:

Leon Kennedy x5

Last edited:

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Crash Bandicoot

11.25% Chance (Previously 31.04% Chance)
51.10% Want (Previously 51.15% Want)

With less of a prospect for the base game, Crash suffered a huge hit in chance. There still is a good bit of optimism for dlc though. Also his want score is nearly the same.

Rayman

32.52% Chance (Previously 48.49% Chance)
56.87% Want (Previously 58.25% Want)

Another big hit. Though Rayman is still seen as more likely, losing almost a 16 percentage point average is a big drop. Similar want scores still.

Will tag the winners later, going out in a bit. Rate Paper Mario and Celica today, tomorrow we got Shovel Knight and Shantae, predict them.
Only asking but I'm going to presume I missed the calculations for the previous 2 days or I'm going insane.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I don't think he's given the results for quite a few of these re-rates. You could do them yourself, otherwise I guess you just have to be patient for the big update to the results post.

(It might be wise for TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom to slow down by either having a few days with only a single character/concept to rate or something, because it seems like it's getting hard to keep up...)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Celica!

Considering I pegged her at a sixty pre-E3, I do think she took a hit. That being said, she's also not totally out of the running. Shadows of Valentia entered development a few months before the project plan was finalized. As well, Sakurai would have had Gaiden to base her off of if he needed to wait for her final design update. The crux of her moveset is still present in Gaiden, the tomeless self-damaging spells.

Want: 100%
Second most wanted newcomer of all. Celica is my third favorite Fire Emblem character and would be so incredibly fun.

Nominating Reinhardt Trophy x5

Lass567

Smash Rookie
NNID
Noaaaaaaaaaahhhh
Paper Mario

Chance 35%

I think that Paper Mario has a bit of a chance, especially since he has had a mainline game in every Nintendo home console since the N64. But Color Splash sold pretty poorly, not even getting a tenth of TTYD's total sales. But Nintendo does always through the curveballs, and we haven't heard the last of Mr. G&W's cousin yet.

Want 70%

I played through TTYD around a year ago and absolutely loved it. The entire game was great, and I'm sure that there are a multitude of ways in include Paper Mario in Ultimate. While he's not my top choice, I'd say that Paper Mario is the person from the Mario series who most deserves to get into Smash next.

Celica

Chance 15%

Fire Emblem already has a ton of representatives from all of their games, and even though Shadows of Valentia came out only a year ago, Three Houses just got announced. I feel like Nintendo would want to include someone from the new game than bring in another sword fighter, especially since every single fighter is returning.

Want 5%

Celica to me seems like she'd just be another sword fighter, and the Fire Emblem series has a load of other characters that I feel would be more interesting. She just doesn't seem unique enough.

Shovel Knight 9.5%
Shantae 13.7%

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Tingle x278
Slippy Toad x276
Lloyd Irving x265
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x262
Sakura Shinguji x258
Neku Sakaruba x244
Kamek x243

Over 200:

Wonder Red x242
Leon Kennedy x237
Linkle x225
Ryu Hayabusa x225
Parabo & Satebo x216
Concept: Monster Hunter character x215
Scorpion x211
Tetra x204

199-150

Fawful x194
Thwomp x191
Ray x188
Labo Guy/Robot x185
Balloon Fighter x182
DeMille x178
Papyrus x175
Django x175
Primarina x175
Katrielle Layton x175
Smash Run x165
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x155
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150
Tsubasa Oribe x150
Fire Emblem Treehouses Protagonist x150

149-100

Dragonite x147
Tails x145
Louie x130
Ayumi Tachibana x127
Barbara x119
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x114
2B x111
Concept: Female Announcer x110
Susie x104
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x103

99-75

Neptune x96
Viewtful Joe x95
Nikki x95
Gooey x94
Rowlet x90
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x85
Klonoa x87
Tora & Poppi x82
Fjorm x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Concept: All-Stages Return (Miiverse exempt) x69
Viridi x67
Yu Narakumi x66
Breidablik Item x65
Zeraora (Pokémon) x64
Toon Zelda x64
Rick/Coo/Kine x64
Endou Mamoru x62
9-Volt x62
Concept: Historical Character x60
Concept: All-Star Versus x59
Slime x56
Concept: Style Savvy character x56
Concept: Wars character x53
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x50

49-26:

Concept: Hanafuda character x47
Raiden x40
Incineroar x40
Nihilego x35
Chorus Kids x35
Concept: Only 4-6 newcomers for base roster x30
Rhythm Girl x25
Concept: Chun-Li as an assist trophy x25

Under 25:

Concept: More than five unique newcomers x20
Ninten x18
Tapu Koko x15
Master Chief x10
Concept: Custom Alternate Colors x10
Reinhardt Gets a Trophy x10
Edelgard x10
Concept: SR388 stage x5
Alm x5
Xenoblade X Avatar/Cross x5
Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist x5
Nia x5
Ken x2

My stances on both characters haven't changed. I'll abstain for now.

Ken x5

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Paper Mario
Chance: Abstain, cause I can’t really gamble with him.
Want: 85%

Celica
Chance: 20% (Base game)
I feel like people are being harsh saying she has no chance of ever getting in, even as DLC. That being said, I do kind of agree that expecting her after knowing about the plan is kind of silly.
Want: 90%
She was one of my favorite characters in Echoes, and I doubt she’s gonna be Robin’s Echo fighter. They’re only similar because the wield magic and a sword, respectively.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Paper Mario
I can’t go too high, but he is very relevant and pretty popular. His competition is fierce in popularity though (and in Captain Toad’s case, in relevance as well). I feel like I’m not giving him an objective score, as he has a lot going for him and not much against him, but I just don’t think he’ll get in.

Want: 70%
Love the first three Paper Marios, didn’t play the others because I heard they were ****, so I have pretty excellent memories of the franchise. I would rather see Toad and *sigh* Waluigi first though.

Oh Celica
Chance: 10%
To be fair, I recall that Echoes had started development during Fates’, so Sakurai definitely could have known about it. Besides, it’s not like there wasn’t Gaiden before. However, if (and that’s a big if) there’s another FE character, she has to compete with the evergreen and MIA Chrom and her counterpart Alm (who I swear nobody ever mentions. The Fire Emblem fanbase has really changed from my days)

Didn’t get to buy Echoes, but Gaiden is one of my favorite games, so of course I love Celica. Do you know who I love more though? Chrom and *sigh* Lyn.

Nominations Ayumi TachibanaX5

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is there anyone willing to help me nominate Leon Kennedy? I am pretty surprised that he is nominated pretty high, and I want opinions and discussion on his chances as soon as possible. I want to rate him REALLY BADLY!

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Paper Mario
Chance: 35% - I consider him the front runner for another Mario rep right now. He's both very popular and easy to animate. If we can have three Links in this game, than three Marios will fit in perfectly.

Celica
Chance: 5% - With every single Fire Emblem character returning and increasing concerns about the series being over represented, I feel that there's very little hope of us getting a new FE rep. It also doesn't help that Shadows of Valentia debuted pretty late into SSBU's development.

Nominations: Edelgard x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Is there anyone willing to help me nominate Leon Kennedy? I am pretty surprised that he is nominated pretty high, and I want opinions and discussion on his chances as soon as possible. I want to rate him REALLY BADLY!

Sure, why not? Not expecting a lot of great scores, but then again I was nominating Ayumi Tachibana so what the heck. I’ll help out.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Paper Mario

Chance: 25%

There was a time when I really wanted him in Smash. I guess I just don't care that much anymore. Lost interest in the series anyways. Would still be fun to play I guess.

Celica

Chance: 15%

Want: 1%

The want rating is assuming she's a unique standalone character. If she were an echo then I guess I would raise that to 30-40%.

andimidna

Smash Master
Celica:
Most of her chances now are as a late echo. Things were figured out early on, and it’s hard to expect anyone from FE atm. A balanced Robin clone with no durability or Levin Sword, but damages herself, could be cool. That conceptually makes more sense than an easier Marth honestly with how it can be hard getting into Robin with how you have to micromanage your assets. Ultimately it’s more likely as DLC, but when it comes to DLC, FE 3 Houses is coming. Also, for what it’s worth, Pichu is back with the self damage concept and magic looks to work the same in FE 3 Houses as Echoes.

Paper Mario:
Still an ongoing series. He could be unique or a clone. That’d be extremely uninteresting as a clone though. Not seeing much pointing towards this being the time it happens
Chance: 14%
Want: 25%

Prediction:
Shantae: 13.5%
Shovel Knight: 14.5%

x4 Hanafuda character
x1 Style Savvy character

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Paper Mario

Having three versions of a character isn't an issue it seems, with us having three Links nya~ Other than that, nyo change in opinion nya!

Want: 75%
Opinion hasn't changed nya. I like the older Paper Mario games, so why nyot nya.

Celica

Chance: 5%
The roster plans being in 2015 really seems to have killed her chances nya. I do see her being possible for dlc though nya~

Want: 80%
Opinion hasn't changed nya. She's my current most wanted FE character nya~

Nyominations
Tingle: x5

"Opinion hasn't changed nya" "Opinion hasn't changed nya" "Opinion hasn't changed nya" "Opinion hasn't changed nya" "Opinion hasn't changed nya" "Opinion hasn't changed nya"

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Celica
Chance: 30% / Want: 100%
Lyn is deconfirmed and FE16 isn't coming out for a long time, so Celica has the best credentials right now. She's relevant, her game being the latest release. She's popular, taking first place in the last FE Heroes popularity poll. She's neither a blue haired sword lord nor a white haired avatar. She also has the bonus edge of being easy to make an echo, specifically of Robin. Just switch her spells up, give her a normal sword, and replace the durability gimmick with a self damaging one. I doubt any unique FE characters are getting in and honestly I'd much rather it's her than Chrom. Nevertheless I'm thinking it's more likely we get no new FE characters to avoid oversaturation since everyone just had to come back *looks at Lucina and Corrin*.

Paper Mario
Chance: 30% / Want: 50%
Really indifferent to him getting in, and I don't think it's too likely either. Color Splash wasn't the biggest hit and there's been no new game announced. Captain Toad is almost certainly the second Mario newcomer this time and I just don't see a 3rd.

Nominations: Neku x 5

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Paper Mario
Chances: 20%
He has relevancy, a host of games to pull moves from and a decent amount of fan demand. But he's also another Mario that would exist solely to represent a sub-series.
Want: 10%
I like Paper Mario a lot, but I can't shake the feeling he'd just be Stickers and Cards from Color Splash.

Celica
Chances: 30% as an Echo
She'd fit really well as a Robin alternative with self-damage in place of durability, and she's recent. If she doesn't require a whole lot of effort she has a decent chance. Echoes also seem to ignore things like how many reps a franchise already has. We could see two Echoes for the same series.
Want: 15%
Mostly as an alternative to Robin's moveset, but I did like Echoes.

Noms: Xenoblade X Avatar "Cross" x 5.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Paper Mario

Chance: 3%
- Unlikely.
Want: 1%
- Meh. He’s not Mr. L.

Celica

Chance: 9%
- The whole 2015 thing throws a wrench into that idea but she’s popular.
Want: 0.0001%
- She’s basically old news (Edelgard is the new FE waifu of year now) and the idea of her getting Pichu’s gimmick..? No thanks. I’d rather have Brigand Boss. Also, she’s not Eliwood.

Predictions
Shovel Knight: 9.9%
Shantae: 7.4%

Nominations
Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x4
Neptune (Neptunia Series) x1

Last edited:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Paper Mario

Chance: 20% --> 20%

Nothing has really changed for him, so I'm copy and pasting what I previously wrote about him.

He is the star of a pretty iconic Mario spin-off series with a solid Smash following, but his recent games haven't been looking so good for our paper hero. He also has competition with the likes of Captain Toad, Waluigi, and arguably Daisy for the next Mario slot. Paper Mario did get a stage in Smash 3DS though, so this could mean something for the future.
Want: 45% --> 45%

Again, nothing has really changed on my stance on him, so I'll just copy and past what I previously said about him.

I've had fond memories of the older Paper Mario titles (Thousand Year Door is one of my favorite games of all time after all), and I think he's got a lot of great moveset potential for something unique, but he's not exactly the character I'm totally rooting for.
------

Celica

Chance: 40% --> 25%

Yeah, the whole timing issue in regards to the remake's release does hamper her down quite a bit from when I last rated her. Other than that, much of what I said about her remains unchanged.

Want: 30% --> 30%

Copy and pasting what I wrote about Celica the last time I rated her, since nothing has changed on that matter either.

D]
I will admit that she does have some great moveset potential with her magic attacks mixed in with the sword attacks, but I'm mainly conflicted about her character. I know why people like her, but I'm one of those people questions her actions in Act 4 and has some issues with it (naive princess tropes aren't exactly my thing, and I've seen it done better in another FE character tbh). That said, I've got a number of Fire Emblem characters I prefer over her when it comes to Smash, even though I'm well aware said characters have a very little chance compared to her. Still, if Celica does make the cut, I won't be bothered that much.
------

Abstaining from predictions

------

Nominations

Only 4-6 newcomers in the Smash Ultimate's base roster: x5

Burigu

Smash Ace
Celica:
Chance: 2%
I don't believe in the so called "over representation" if a character is 1st party and has potencial go ahead, but since Fire Emblem received so much love in the past Smash I don't see it getting any newcomer this time around.

I can't see her as a clone of Robin I mean they could and I would accept her with open arms , but her spells are really different from Awakening's, a cloud of Angel wings attacking you? a Storm of Magical Arrows? ( I know Celica doesn't learn this move in game), unleashing the power of goddess Mila upon her enemies? So cool.

She can even mantain a small fire orb at all times in her hand, like she does in dungeons and combine that with her sword attacks.

Finallly just look at her design, not a single drop of blue, really rare for a FE protagonist, really great design.

Paper Mario:
Chance: 55%
Paper Mario has received moderated representation in Smash and definetely could use really interesting moves from around the series. Mario is one of those franchise that just can receive as many newcomers as they want, but with Daisy already in the game and the declaration of not many newcomers, I am not sure if we are allowed to have two characters from the same series, even as clones.

Want: 75%
TTYD is probably one of the best games in the Mario franchise, I have really fond memories of the game, the chance in direction in the series, made me lost interest past SPM, Color Splash was a move in the right direction, but I still miss the days when this series has lots of interesting partners, towns and species, right now there are Toads in every role imaginable. Goombella has always been a favorite character of mine, so I hope Paper Mario could use some partners for his attacks.

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Paper Mario Chance - 17%: Things have only got better for him since I last ranked him with Captain Toad and Waluigi deconfirmations, with his only real competition being the Z lister Geno. Still, slots are way more limited now, and fans blatantly would not like him appearing with the moveset based off Sticker Star and Color Splash he would be forced to have.

Paper Mario Want - 0%: I already would not be very excited even if Sticker Splash didn't exist, but since they do this is a solid 0%.

Abstain Celica.

Nominate Fawful x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Celica
Chance 5%
SoV released in April 2017 in Japan and considering the project plan was done in December 2015 it's very likely she missed the boat. And that's just if this was a normal Smash; however, Ultimate seems to be more focused on popularity and such and of course, she wasn't high on the ballot considering the game's release date. Also required "Sakurai said there are too many FE characters". I mean he could always add more anyways but it's sorta worth mentioning for now.
Want 60%
People act like more FE characters would physically hurt them and so I support it to kind of spite people. That being said FE has some better characters and Celica wasn't great in SoV. Alm is a much better option in my eyes since he's better in the game.

Paper Mario
Chance 5%
Sadly I think Sakurai really only cares for SMRPG and so PM won't get a character. Also with SS and CS being the last games in the series and not being fan favorite, I doubt it's doing PM any favors.

Want 100%
TTYD and Super are magical and every person needs to play them. The first PM is great too and CS while nowhere near as good as the first three has some merits and can be enjoyed. With 2 legendary titles one and a great one, I think he should be in the game and he'd have one of the most unique movesets out of the entire roster using partners, pixels, and his various paper abilities. Seriously, this series needs more love in Smash. Also if his Boxing Ring name isn't the Great Gonzales Sakurai needs to be fired.
Also, some people think if he got he would be based solely on Color Splash and Sticker Star and those people need to be more realistic.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Celica
Chance - 5%
Sakurai just got through adding Corrin and questioning if :ultcorrin: was too much FE already. I kind of doubt he'd jump ahead and look into a new FE character coming down the pipeline. I think at best, Fire Emblem may see an addition with DLC.
Want - 22%
She's got an alright design. I like her more than Lucina for sure.

Paper Mario
Chance - 40%
Waluigi is out. Toad is out. Daisy is in. Captain Toad looks less likely with Toad having a larger presence in Peach's moves. The flat man may find a crack to slide into the roster. Popular side series that was active at the time Sakurai started it back up.
Want - 90%
I loved the first two Paper Marios. The third was alright, but I did miss the more diverse and classic side kicks like Koops, Ms Mowz, or Lady Bow. There's a part of me that would really love to see Paper Mario bring some of his classic allies into the mix even if it's not the most likely way to go. Toad was more iconic and Waluigi had wacky potential, but now I can safely fall back on Paper Mario as someone else that I have positive thoughts in regards to.

Also if we can have Link with 2 clone Links in addition. I think Mario can have his multiple versions to, especially seeing as Paper Mario has a totally different arsenal of weapons and allies.

Nominations - 5x Monster Hunter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Paper Mario
Chance: 60%

Celica
Want: 0%

Noms:
Female announcer x5

Shovel Knight prediction: 19.14%
Shantae prediction: 11.37%

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Paper Mario
Chance- 15%
Sorry, not really seeing Paper Mario being high enough priority, even with Waluigi out and Captain Toad hurt. Remember, Daisy is in and we are getting fewer newcomers.
I just don't see Sakurai spending the time on him given that not even Nintendo seems to put much effort into the series nowadays. Being an Echo wouldn't make sense, and I don't think he's quite popular enough to get in on a unique moveset in this game.I feel like Sakurai would realize people would be annoyed if one of the very few newcomers was another Mario.
Want- 18%
The Thousand-Year Door is one of my all-time favorites, and I would be fine with a Paper Mario with a moveset based on that getting in. More likely, though, the moveset would be diluted by Sticker Star/Color Splash or clone elements, and Paper Mario just isn't high enough priority for me right now with few slots available. Having a moveset isn't enough- I also need to actively want the character. Repeats aren't going to get it done.

Celica
Chance- 10%
Have to agree with the consensus after hearing about the project plan timeline. It wouldn't be impossible if Sakurai made arrangements to include a SoV character, but based on his comments about the franchise's saturation, I don't see him doing that. A late Echo is possible, but Chrom seems more likely for that role.
Want- 95%
The only reason I would see Sakurai overcoming his feelings about FE saturation would be if he though Celica had moveset potential, like he did with Corrin, so I don't see her being an Echo (which, again, I think would surely be Chrom). So I'm assuming she'd get an accurate-to-game moveset if she got in, not some strange Robin or Marth (looking at you, Warriors) clone. Which would be awesome. Self-damage/healing magic would be really cool, and is a concept I've actually wanted properly executed since I first played Pichu as a child. I like Celica's character and her design, too, even if there are a few late writing decisions in Echoes that are a bit muddled.
This score was lower before due to FE saturation, but given the amount of Mario and Pokemon characters at this point, I'm fine with more Fire Emblem. The series just has a lot of good characters to offer, and I'm biased.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Paper mario is the same as last time

celica same want as last time
chance
I think is lower not only did this game miss the roster decisions but the roster seems to be fan requested charcters of that time and well Celica had little support at that time.
10%

nominating
incenoroar x5

prediciting
shovel knight at 16%
shantee at 2%

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Abstained from today's choices.

Rayman and Crash both get 0% chance and 0% want from me.
As long as Nintendo is not willing to put Dixie or K.Rool in smash who are western-developed characters and even fully owned by them, I don't understand why ppl think they would put in rayman or crash beforehand.
Also crash was created by naughty dog, an american studio that has been working with sony only. They cold-heartedly sold crash, which was very very successful on PlayStation and every game that came after the original trilogy was really really really bad....so I don't see any reason why he should be in smash.
As for rayman.... Ubisoft and Nintendo have a good relationship I guess? I mean it's not like we're getting triple a games like Assassin's creed, Rabbids Kingdom battle is a great and fun game though, but rayman wasn't in that game. Rayman Legends and origins sold poorly and with dixie kong having her helicopter spin I don't want rayman to be there either because he would also have a helicopter spin, that would take away Dixie's uniqueness.
Sorry Marcello, but I gotta jump in on this. Naughty Dog created Crash but they never owned him to begin with. ND was in a contract with Universal who partnered with Sony to make 3 hit games for the PlayStation, same with Insomniac and Spyro. That's how Crash was born; once the 3 games was up, ND was free to do anything else, and Sony bought them as soon as they could. ND liked Crash so much that they did one final bonus game for Universal which was CTR, then fully went to Sony and as such had to leave Crash behind.

It sucks, cuz the games nosedived after that.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Celica

Chance: 20%. She's probably the most likely FE newcomer outside of the Three Houses characters and possible Echoe characters. The Three Houses cast will definitely have priority over her to promote the new game like Roy and Corrin did with their respective games.
Want: 70%. I love her character/design and would love to have another magic-wielding FE character.

Paper Mario

Chance: 20%. Color Splash didn't do so well so I don't think they'll bother putting him in.
Want: 30%. Has a lot of potential though I think we have enough Mario characters. Not to mention the last few Paper Mario games weren't so hot.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Paper Mario

Chance - 40%
Genuinely surprised people have more faith in Geno than Paper Mario. The series got major representation in the form of a stage, so I definitely think he's one of the most likely Mario reps.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure if Daisy is the most we'll get from Mario in Smash.

Want - 90%
Might be a third Mario, but there's no way he could be a clone of any kind. I'd really like to see what Sakurai can come up with.

Celica

Chance - 5%
I don't think any FE rep is likely, but I'm seeing some people say Celica was "too late". Her game was officially announced in January 2017, which is almost two years before Smash Ultimate will be released. Celica has some issues, but I don't think bad timing is one of the bigger ones.

Want - 0%
I'd be content with no new FE characters.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Short on time, so shorter explanations today.

Paper Mario

Chance: 30%

Somewhat popular choice, series has content in the game, series is still active. But the most well liked games are the older ones, and he has competition from other Mario characters.

Want: 5%

Would prefer him over a few others. Otherwise have never been interested, despite the first two being among my favorite two Nintendo games.

Celica

Important and popular, but the timing isn't great and a unique new Fire Emblem character is looking doubtful. Could be an echo, but even then others seem more likely, including Chrom.

No connection, probably wouldn't use her much. But I have no issues with another Fire Emblem, the choice makes sense, and I'd be happy for her fans. Overall indifferent.

Skipping predictions this time.

Nominations: Tails x5

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Celica
Chance: 1%
We already have 6 Fire Emblem characters, I highly doubt we'll get any more, even as a clone.
I am not a fan of Fire Emblem.

Abstaining from PM

Shovel Knight prediction: 6%
Shantae prediction: 3%
Noms: All stages return x5

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Paper Mario (Mario series)
Paper Mario is a bit of add one; he's popular, but not because of his recent games. He's another Mario, but has plenty of potential for a very different move-set and Sakurai doesn't mind having 2 Links. It's very hard to judge, but I'd say with a lesser amount of newcomers this time around, his chances aren't as good compared to stronger competition. The biggest thing going against him is how he'd be a 3rd Mario and another addition to a heavily represented series... but we already have three Links and I'm not sure Sakurai puts too much stock in series representation; he seems to be the type to focus on move-set first and foremost, at least with SSB4.​
Want: 9%
I on the other hand most certainly care about having multiple Mario's and over-representation; both of which I'd like to avoid despite my love of Thousand Year Door (my sixth favourite game of all time). Besides, his move-set would more likely be focused on stickers and Colour Splash elements than the past Paper Mario games.​

Celica (Fire Emblem series)
Chance: 32%
I'm kind of having to make up these percentages as I go along, with my reasoning of Celica being so close to Paper Mario being due to limited range. I wanted her lower due to cut-off date, but the chance of her being an Echo Fighter I believe bolsters it a bit. Furthermore, I feel people are forgetting that the game she originates from is the 2nd Fire Emblem ever made, having been blessed recently with a remake. Sakurai could have learned her game was getting a remake during December 2015 and the few months leading up to SSBU's start of development, but due to knowledge of FE2, begin creating a move-set for Celica based around that.​

Want: 12%
I like her design, but otherwise have never played the game she's from and don't want more Fire Emblem characters. That said, at least she's not a 3rd version of a pre-existing character. She could be in as a Robin Echo from what I hear, and whilst I dislike Echoes and clones, don't have too much objection for the choice (the idea of replacing the durability aspect with a Pichu hurting style mechanic sounds intriguing).​
Nominations x5: Fatal Frame Protagonist (it'll be a long time until we get to rating this one from the looks of it)

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Abstained from today's choices.

Sorry Marcello, but I gotta jump in on this. Naughty Dog created Crash but they never owned him to begin with. ND was in a contract with Universal who partnered with Sony to make 3 hit games for the PlayStation, same with Insomniac and Spyro. That's how Crash was born; once the 3 games was up, ND was free to do anything else, and Sony bought them as soon as they could. ND liked Crash so much that they did one final bonus game for Universal which was CTR, then fully went to Sony and as such had to leave Crash behind.

It sucks, cuz the games nosedived after that.
That's interesting, I actually didn't know that. Sony should have bought the rights. Nonetheless do I think that neither crash nor rayman have no business in smash. I really like spyro though, but like the other two, he shouldn't be in the game. Smash bros is still a celebration of Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Cecilia
Don't see us getting another fire emblem character but never underestimate Sakurai's fetish for the game

Anyone fire emblem is an automatic 0 from me.

Paper Mario
Don't see it happening but would be cool!

Want: 30%
Not my most wanted but would be ok

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Forgot to rate Paper Mario.

Chance: Abstain

I don't want another Mario, especially when there are other Mario characters I'd prefer that aren't even on the roster once yet. Namely Captain Toad, since Waluigi is kind of busy right now.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Celica: Chance -15%

She is probably the most relevant in terms of recent Fire Emblem characters but I feel since Corrin was DLC we wont be getting another.

Want - Abstain

I know nothing about her.

Paper Mario: Chance - 20%

I just don't feel we will be getting another Mario character and while quite popular I doubt he was many people's first choice on the ballot.

Want - 50%

I really think he could be an awesome character and I love the older Paper Mario games. Though I wouldn't care if he didn't make it.

Nominations: Rhythm/Tap Trial Girl x5

Last edited:
Top Bottom