• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Dee time.

Chance: 85%
Despite still not being the most popular character in the shed, Bandana Dee certainly is still popular regardless, and most likely did rather well in the ballot. To boot, his popularity has only grown since the last game, and quite significantly I'd say.

Bandana Dee's also only become more important and has effectively solidified his position as the fourth main character, so relevancy is clearly on his side. One other thing I'd like to point out is how much of a big deal Star Allies might be for Smash content, which I explained as well as I could in this post in the Bandana Dee thread.

The moveset seriously writes itself out and a spear would actually be a distinct weapon to add to Smash, so moveset's good to go to.

I am nowhere near this confident about any other possible newcomer other than maybe Spring Man. The only thing potential problem I see is that Sakurai MIGHT be biased against modern Kirby (even though Bandana Dee DID originate from Sakurai's era, the Dee only grew prominent far after Sakurai left), but I'm nigh certain that's not true. Also, just saying, Bandana Dee lacking a trophy in 4 means little to nothing. Diddy lacked a trophy in Melee, yet it didn't stop him from joining Brawl. :diddy:

Want: 100%
Like I said, moveset writes itself out.

Predictions:

Pauline: 10%
Captain Toad: 50%

... Man, tomorrow's going to bring a long post out of me. Not just because we're rating two characters either.

Nominations: Dr. PINGA- er, Eggman X5

:094:

D

Deleted member

That D with a bandana

Chance: 60%

It's up to Sakurai if he considers Kirby warrants a fourth rep, and he wouldn't be a complicated character to program too.

Want: 40%

Eh.

Nomination:
:4shulk:x5

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Bandana Dee

Chance: 45%
Want: 45%

He seems like a semi-safe but not guaranteed choice to me. There’s other Kirby characters that look more interesting but I don’t really know if I want any of them.

Waluigi x3
Kamek x2

Bandana Dee
Chance : 70%
Things have been pretty good for him since is first playable appearance, he is with little doubt the next character that will be added for the Kirby series and I can easily see a 4th Kirby rep happening.

Want : 60%
Most likely 4th Kirby character ? Sure.
Most wanted 4th Kirby character ? Nope, sorry little guy.

Predictions :
Captain Toad : 20.14%
Pauline : 19.81%

Nomination :
Ashley (Wario ware series) X 5
lol I love how your prediction for her is 1981. The year she was created.

Megaban

Smash Cadet
Finally.

Chance -85%
Those chances got BIG. Thank you, new Kirby game. Being playable in 2 games now (with characters ALREADY in smash too!) and appearing in many others rly matters. Not to mention the fat even roducers acknowledge him as part of "main team" now. I'd say he's likely rn. Kibry series SHOULD get a newcomer now.

Want -90%
Yes. Yes. And yes. Me want. I did b4 smash 4 even. And not going to stop now.

Nominations: Lana x5

Predications:
Pauline 4%
Captain Toad 45%

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Bandana Dee

Chance: 45%
Want: 45%

He seems like a semi-safe but not guaranteed choice to me. There’s other Kirby characters that look more interesting but I don’t really know if I want any of them.

Waluigi x3
Kamek x2

lol I love how your prediction for her is 1981. The year she was created.
Though he should have gone all the way and predicted a 20.07 for Captain Toad. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Bandana Waddle Dee: 90%

There are a few characters I think are extremely likely for this next game. Some, like Isabelle, people argue for because of moveset, or Waluigi, because people think other mario characters are likelier. I have to admit these arguments are valid.

Then comes Bandana Waddle Dee.

He has, in my opinion, NO REASON not to be in this next smash. Between Kirby not having a new character since Brawl, Bandana Dee's SURGE in popularity since Smash 4, extreme relevancy (Appearing in Robobot, Kirby Clash Deluxe, Kirby Battle Royale, and PLAYABLE roles in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse as well as Kirby Star Allies.) Bandana Dee isn't short on moveset potential either, with his Spear kit fitting him extremely well, and Kirby Star Allies even expands upon this with the elemental powers. I even believe his popularity is rather noticeable, especially overseas.

Bandana Waddle Dee just hits ALL the right notes to be playable. The only way I could see Bandana Dee not getting in is dev bias from Sakurai since he's the creator in Kirby and I believe he didn't have a big part in Bandana Dee. That's why it's 90% and not 100%.

Want: 75% Beleive it or not, Bandana Waddle Dee isn't even my most wanted Kirby character, that would be Dark Matter. Even so, I would be extremely happy if Bandana Dee made it in as I've really warmed up to him after playing Return to Dream Land a year ago.

Predictions for Captian Toad/Pauline:
Toad: 35% | Pauline: 4%

Nominations: Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I hesitated but in the end decided that the year he got his own game was better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Could you imagine if the 0.07 difference got you the extra nominations somehow? :laugh:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Bandana Waddle Dee
Chance: 25% -
While Sakurai bias is not as bad as most people say, he does seem to have some. His popularity didn't come until after the Sakurai era of Kirby, and while a spear wielder would be cool, it doesn't exactly scream "unique" which is is Sakurai's biggest thing. HAL wants to promote him alongside the other three big Kirby characters, though.
Want: 60% - I'd like to see him, but if not, I have him in SSF2.

Predictions: Pauline
Chance: 7.82%
Want: 18.96%

Predictions: Captain Toad
Chance: 25.84%
Want: 48.93%

Nominations:

Sora x5

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Bandana Waddle Dee: 30% chance

I think if they put him in they might as well put in a Koopa. I just feel like a bandana is not enough to differeciate him from a regular generic Waddle Dee. Both King Dedede and Metaknight are very unique characters in terms of design and bandana Dee is just a generic Waddle Dee with a bandana slapped on him.

Want: 30%
Predictions for Cpt Toad: 50%
Predictions for Pauline: 65%

Nominations:
Sora x5

D

Deleted member

Bandana Waddle Dee

Chance: 90%
I know it's a really high rating, but there isn't anything really holding him back. The one point I see cited a lot is that Sakurai generally only pulls from Kirby games he directed himself. However, something has to give, and it's already started to. He changed Kirby's Final Smash to a move from Return to Dreamland, and Kirby as a franchise has seen a revival of sorts after the Wii game, with Triple Deluxe, Planet Robobot, and now Star Allies. Rainbow Curse and Battle Royale are noteworthy too, specifically when it comes to Bandana Dee's rise to prominence in this 'new' era of Kirby, with the Bandana Dee multiplayer characters and introduction of a unique parasol respectively. Sakurai will have to confront this while directing Smash 5, whether it be on his own accord or from the pressure to market this impressive growing lineup of newer games.

Furthermore, Bandana Dee has been solidified as a member of the main cast, alongside Kirby, D3, and Meta Knight. He's heavily featured in Kirby merchandise, popular in Japan (and seemingly the West, from what I've seen online), and acknowledged by the developers as a unique character and member of the main cast. He isn't just some random throw-in that's only used to fill up the 4th multiplayer slot like Blue Toad, which cannot be stressed enough given the perception that he's just another Waddle Dee.

These days, Kirby's main cast is a quartet, not a trio. If there is a Kirby character, it would be Bandana Dee. And Kirby certainly is deserving of a new character, especially one from the modern Kirby franchise. It's generally accepted that characters like Dixie Kong, Spring Man, and Rex have a high chance at getting in because they would push sales for their Switch titles. That same logic is very easily applied to Bandana Dee's relationship with the new generation of Kirby. Bandana Dee is unique enough, popular enough, and relevant enough to join the battle on his own merits, so it's not like he'd just be added to fill an arbitrary 4th Kirby slot anyway, but it's worth mentioning given the stigma around 'slots' the community has (just look at the debates around Fire Emblem representation).

As for his moveset, it really writes itself. Smash 4 really had an emphasis on unique character attributes that fleshed out a character's design concept while remaining true to their personality and source material. Good examples of this are Robin's weapon damage system, Little Mac's ground vs. air dynamic, and Rosalina's Luma. A spear fighter, while not as flashy as say, Shulk's Monado Arts, still gets the job done. A spear isn't something that needs a new mechanic or weird special move to be interesting on its own. It's a simple, yet unique concept that can add another layer to Smash due to how the weapon works. Aside from general spear thrusts, his moveset could be supplemented by Parasol ability attacks, with maybe a Beam move or two to give it a bit more flair. They'd be good at giving his moveset a personality, something that gets praised a lot with characters like Little Mac's boxing movements. The Parasol moves could highlight Bandana Dee's lovable and friendly side, contrasting with the part of him that makes up a brave and cautious warrior while he wields his spear.

But really, what 'Nintendo All-Stars' are there left? What characters have the starpower to really gun for a shot on the roster with as impressive of a resume? It's pretty clear to me that the field of front-runners has thinned drastically, which is why I find it so hard to imagine Bandana Dee being skipped over. He checks all the boxes: relevancy, popularity, and moveset potential. There is no legitimate reason against his inclusion, so I think I'm justified to put him at 90%. That might even be a little conservative.

Edit: Realized I said Canvas Curse instead of Rainbow Curse... not my best moment.

Bandana Dee is my most wanted character, so yes, I'm biased.

Nominations: Lyn x3, Dillon x2

Predictions:

Captain Toad: 42.6%
Pauline: 13.4%

Last edited by a moderator:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Additionally, Kirby's representation has stalled since Brawl, and it would seem odd and even unfair if every other series (except the usual stallers--Mother, F-Zero, I'm looking at you) got newbies except Kirby. I mean, think about it: New Mario rep (probably a given.) New Zelda rep (DEFINITELY A given.) New Pokemon rep (no way THIS isn't happening.) But no Kirby rep?
I'm not sure why you think those series are all getting new characters. Mario has most of the major characters already represented and there hasn't been a Rosalina-level character introduced in a while. I mean, you've got like Waluigi or Daisy, but they're very much the B-team. It's certainly possible there's no new Mario character. Zelda didn't get any new characters in Smash 4 and probably won't this time either, IMO. Pokemon is, of course, highly likely to get a new rep if the roster is getting more than a small handful of newcomers, but that's down to the nature of the series and the fact that it's such a juggernaut in sales (main releases regularly selling 10-15 million copies, Pokemon Go has >750 million downloads, etc.).

I know it's nowhere near all about sales, but Mario and Pokemon are in a whole nother league compared to all the other series. Sure, Kirby vs. Donkey Kong or Metroid or Wave Race or whatever is not going to be decided just on sales. But with Mario and Pokemon we're talking about series with hundreds of millions in sales (excluding merch and TV shows and movies and such!) - the difference is massive. You can't really think that Nintendo or Sakurai are going to make their decisions as if all series are equally important.

(I'd also note Metroid, Donkey Kong and Star Fox as not getting new reps in Smash 4, and having fewer reps than Kirby, and in the case of DK, being a significantly larger/more famous series.)
Some People may throw the claim he is too generic to be a smash bros character agaisnt him. but that would also exclude Yoshi, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario, ROB, and several other characters from being in because they are "just their species"
Pokemon is a game with essentially a rotating cast (this also applies to Fire Emblem, which has a disproportionately large roster in Smash as a result). You can't represent Pokemon correctly without including "just their species". You can't apply the same reasoning to Nintendo's second biggest franchise (by a huge margin) as you do to Kirby. And nobody would apply that type of reasoning to adding a Koopa Troopa or something like that.

Beyond that, Yoshi has a whole series of games, and ROB is also obviously different being a retro accessory and being the most obvious character to use for the games that used it. You can't ignore those things to argue that they're similar cases.

So anyway...

Kirby series is well-represented, and as others have said, adding Bandana Dee would seem like the solution to "We need to add a Kirby character, who can we add?" rather than "Is there a Kirby character that should be added?" You could justify adding another Kirby character based on sales maybe, but the drop off in importance between Metaknight or Dedede and Bandana Dee is pretty massive.

I also don't take the Smash Ballot polls very seriously. I have never seen anyone expressing enthusiasm for this "highly popular" character outside Smash speculation communities. The people here are the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fans, and they don't represent the opinion of typical Nintendo players. Maybe he's more popular than I give credit for, but I'm sure he's less popular than the impression you'd get from this forum.

Beyond that, you'd maybe think that if Bandana Dee were so ascendant, maybe he'd get some sort of representation in Smash 4. But Bandana Dee didn't even get a trophy. Waddle Dees have been enemies, but are no more notable than Goombas.

Bandana Dee chances: 5%
Sure, IF Kirby gets a new rep, Bandana Dee would be one of the top contenders. But... I don't think Kirby's getting a new rep. I think they'd go looking for more 3rd-parties before they'd add Bandana Dee. And there are other Kirby characters that are possible. And I feel Kirby, Metaknight and Dedede already represent the series quite well as it is.

Bandana Dee want: 5%
Bandana Dee is innocuous within the Kirby series, but I don't think he is anywhere near worthy of inclusion and I would be annoyed that we got him rather than many of the other possibilities. But at least he's a Nintendo character, not likely to be a clone, and Kirby isn't already ridiculously overrepresented like, say, Fire Emblem.

Nominations:
Roy x5

Captain Toad prediction: 45%
Pauline prediction: 13%

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Headband Goomba

Chance: 10%

And that's being generous, generic mooks belong in Smash Run, not the roster.

Want: 0%

Predictions
Toad: 50%
Pauline: 75%

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Generic mooks don't belong in the roster? I really hope these same people rate Toad lower than 10% as well despite him and Bandana Waddle Dee being in almost exactly the same position.

andimidna

Smash Master
Bandana Waddle Dee:
I’d say the chances for him are about equal to the chances of another Kirby character in general. I can’t imagine them skipping him for someone else.
Chance: 35%
Want: 15%
This is the highest chance rating I’ve given out of the newcomers so far iirc. I don’t hate the idea anymore. It definitely does seem like it could be time, but based off what I’ve seen of how he plays in Kirby games I don’t see much potential for an interesting gimmick that really sets him apart. It’d just be a lot of spear attacks, jabbing and spinning. There’s nothin wrong with that, and I’m definitely not saying he’d be a clone, but Sm4sh really delivered with the unique characters with their own concepts for gimmicks that had never been seen before. I can’t think of a Sm4sh newcomer he seems more interesting than, sorry. At least he’s kinda cute.

Edit: Those people will, I’m sure. Thing is, Toad is recognizable by anybody. Waddle Dees are big, but not on the level of Toads.

Pauline prediction: 20%
Captain Toad prediction: 45%

x4 Midna
x1 Veronica (FE)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The day people will stop calling Bandana Dee a "generic enemy" will be the best day.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I understand that. But we should also acknowledge that a few of these same guys think Mario won't get another rep.

Toad is the last one of the Main 8 and is recognizable to many, if not only because he's seen as an annoyance/nuisance at times. Toad has joined Mario in mainstream games a total of what? 3 or 4 times (not counting rehashes like the NSMB games)? Bandana Waddle Dee has been playable alongside Kirby for his 3rd or 4th time now and made appearances in other games as well. He's the fourth main character compared to Toad's solid 8. Toad is a shoe-in for most Mario spin-offs. But so are Daisy and Waluigi whom have had a perfect record from when they first appeared (kind of like Bandana Waddle Dee, huh?).

Point is, for what the Kirby series is worth, I'd argue he's just as popular as Toad in his own series and fits almost all of the same requirements. "Recognizable" has never been a main concern of Sakurai's anyways except for the ballot.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
We need to add a Kirby character, who can we add?" rather than "Is there a Kirby character that should be added?
I'm going to strongly disagree here. He isn't just fourth character for sake of fourth, he's fan favourite and popular choice in his own right. And he's only gotten more popular and more important since Smash 4. The most recent game even acknowledges this sayimg he deserves a prize for his stellar appearances in the Kirby series

Smash would a good prize I think

Chance 75%
He has really grown since the last Smash, the way I see it is he has pretty much everything going for him and almost nothing against him. He has come a long way since punching the ground in Super Star and has truly earned his status as the 4th core Kirby character. The only reason it's not higher is simply because he's an unconfirmed newcomer and I think 80 is the highest I'm willing to go for anyone not Inklings.

Want 100%
I love the Kirby series and I love it when this guy shows up.

Prediction

Pauline 17%
Captain Toad 47%

Nominate Skull Kid x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Banned Dee

Odds: 80%. The only reason this isn't higher is that I'm worried Sakurai Bias may stop him.

Wants: 90%. I have a Kirby Character that I'd Prefer (Marx), but I still want Dee anyway (and let's be real, Marx is getting in second).

Nominations: Kamek x4, Marx x1.

D

Deleted member

Bandanna Dee:

Chances: 90%

He's become Kirby's main character number 4 and has appeared more consistently in the Modern Day games than even Meta Knight and King Dedede. Not a guarantee. But pretty likely.

Desire: 100%

What can I say? I like the potential for his moveset and it would be nice to see another Kirby character.

Nominations:

Palutena x1
Dark Pit x1
Knuckles x1
Shadow x1
Dr. Eggman x1

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Chance: 80

I'd say Bandanna Dee is pretty likely and is only stopped by Sakurai bias. Sakurai seems uninclined to include stuff from newer Kirby Games, but I think Dee is starting to stand out.

Kirby is a massive franchise that has only gotten bigger over time. With that fame, came new changes and a big addition to the main cast in the form of Bandanna Dee. With the recent games, the main 3 besides Kirby have been getting more spotlight in additional modes or a new twist on the main campaign. And now with Star Allies, we get the first bonus mode where Bandanna Dee is in the main focus, and with him are the other two Kirby characters who are also in Smash. So with him getting a bigger spotlight then previous titles where he handed out items, I think this helps his chances quite a bit.

At this point Dee is a big force in the Kirby Franchise and fits all the checks for a smash candidate. He's popular, relevant, brings a unique moveset as there aren't many choices who could wield spears. He also has plenty of history within the recent games so he has a decent track record and has built up a big fan base. I'd also say he probably did pretty well in the ballot as there seems to be a good amount of votes towards him from what I've seen around different poll sites.

Due to those factors I think he stands a good chance, the only real hurdle is weather or not Sakurai decides to finally start putting in a lot more from recent kirby games as they really deserve.

Want: 100% Dee has been one of my most wanted since Smash 4 and will continue to be until we actually get him. I think now may be his best chance out of recent years, but only time will tell.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 75%

Popularity + consistent significance help him a lot, but I fear there's still a thick wall between Sakurai and more Kirby characters.

Want: 99%

My second most wanted character.

Nominations: Urban Champion x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Bandana Waddle Dee
I know he got nothing in Smash 4, but you have to remember that when Smash 4 was being developed, his only major appearance was Return to Dreamland, and it wasn't until afterwards that he ascended the status of "Main Character". I could go on about why he's likely, but most of the other people in the thread have done a good job of that.
My second most wanted character.

Pauline prediction: 8.1%
Capitan Todd prediction: 42%
Noms: Crash Bandicoot x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Bandana Dee

Chance: 85%
The little guy has been a pretty big character in the Kirby franchise for nyawhile nya, could have a unique moveset using a spear, and has the support and faith of the fans nya. i think he has a very good chance nya!

Want: 90%
Nyalways a fan of little balls of death mew. Plus he could be the games first spear user nya.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Bandana Dee

Chance: 20%
There's a reason the "chance" and "want" %'s are always so close to each other, but arguing with Bandana Dee supporters is like talking to a brick wall.

Want: 65%
I actually like him, and I think he could have a pretty cool moveset. I just want other characters more. The horrible fanbase doesn't help.

Predictions:

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x1
Funky Kong x4

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Bandana Dee want: 0%

His moveset is somewhat appealing, but there are enough things about it, his design, and his inclusion that I dislike to outweigh that.

I want a spear user in Smash, but I mostly dislike the idea of spawning spear after spear for throwing them. Dee is small, so the reach of the spear is significantly diminished.

Dee is too cutesy to really fill the role I want added. I would prefer a humanoid. As I said during Smash 4 speculation,
psychic dormouse said:
Waddle Dee is a little kush ball. I want a bad ***.
If Dee gets added, it decreases the chances of the kind of spear fighter I want being added.

Nominations:
Masked Link x5

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Bandana Dee

Chance: 20%
There's a reason the "chance" and "want" %'s are always so close to each other, but arguing with Bandana Dee supporters is like talking to a brick wall.

Want: 65%
I actually like him, and I think he could have a pretty cool moveset. I just want other characters more. The horrible fanbase doesn't help.

Predictions:

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x1
Funky Kong x4
I'd honestly like a valid reason other than "Sakurai Bias" which has now been claimed for an entirely other franchise along with Bandana Waddle Dee being even more important to the franchise and more popular now than ever.

We can play the "it doesn't deserve reps" card but unlike a certain series that shouldn't be named, Kirby actually isn't a niche series and is one of Nintendo's greatest.

Wasoodle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Wasoodle
Bandana Dee

Chance: 65%
His prominence in the Kirby series has skyrocketed ever since Sm4sh. He's been in 7 games ever since Return to Dreamland (if you include Dream Collection). He's been playable 3 times, and was an integral character in the campaign for Battle Royale. HAL is really pushing the character into the main lineup, even acknowledging his "perfect attendance" in the series and distinguishing him from the rest of the species. The only thing really holding him back is what Sakurai thinks of him and his standpoint in the Kirby series. Yes there are Kirby characters with more "interesting" movesets, but after Bandana Dee there really isn't many characters who are recurring in the games. He's really solidified his position in the Kirby franchise while other characters typically appear once or twice with a few small cameos.

I fell in love with the little guy since 2011 and wanted him playable ever since. It's been a crazy ride supporting him all the way until now, he's evolved so much as a character. This is gonna sound corny as heck but I'm so proud of all these obstacles he has surpassed. It makes me smile seeing where he is now as a character compared to his debut... i havent felt this much emotional attachment to a fictional character im sorry LOL

but yeah he's gr8 ;)

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Wow, I knew the ratings would be all over the place, but this has been something! Two things I just want to say before we rate:

1. What's with the people spelling it "Bandanna"? Just bad spelling, or his actual name somewhere?
2. People are still calling him a random enemy? Really? Did we not just have a trailer for a Kirby game that placed him alongside Dedede and Meta Knight as major Kirby characters, and in the same Direct that Smash was announced no less? C'mon...

Bandana Dee
Chance - 33.33%

To be honest, I'm not a Kirby fan so I don't know exactly how he's implemented in the games. However, I've heard plenty of evidence that he's a notable enough character by this point, and implementing the first ever spear moveset in Smash would be a cakewalk, regardless of what he may actually do in the Kirby series. I do have a couple of concerns. One: does Sakurai think he should be in the game? It's easy to see why Nintendo might want him, judging again by that Star Allies trailer from the most recent Direct, but the three Kirby reps are much like the four Zelda reps: they're a strong enough representation of the series that there is no need to expand beyond that if Sakurai doesn't want to. Two, and admittedly a minor thought: could Fire Emblem steal the "spear" spotlight? Maybe Fire Emblem Switch's protagonist is a spear wielder, or maybe he decides to include Azura from the popular FE Fates. One of these could prove a more "interesting" spear fighter, and if that happens, I'm not sure Bandana Dee has enough else to offer to sneak in. I do believe he's a solid candidate for inclusion, but I believe he's far from a slam dunk either, so I'm going to settle at a third for now.
Want - 75%
Not my ideal pick for a spear fighter: I'd personally rather them take the Fire Emblem route for that. Still, I think he'd be a fun inclusion if given the chance, and probably would add some quality variety among the "likely" candidates out there. I'm a fan!

Nominations - Lucina x5

Predictions
Pauline - 5.25% Chance, 22.25% Want
Captain Toad - 22.75% Chance, 45% Want

I really don't see why either of these should be included, and I can't imagine I'm alone. That said, I want to give them a fair shake, so I'll be checking out their support threads to see what I may be missing.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Bandana Dee

Whilst recieving nothing in Sm4sh, it's clear he's popular with pretty much everyone who's played a Kirby game, and since then he's had a major role in Kirby and the Magic Paintbrush(promoted to second player...and also third and fourth) and is considered a big enough character to be in the starting line up for the upcoming multiplayer Kirby game over the likes of Gooey, Rick and Marx.

The only reason I'm not saying his chances are higher is I'm not sure how Sakurai feels about the Kirby franchise anymore. I hope Sakurai doesn't view what Nintendo is pushing as the fourth big character in the Kirby franchise with the same disdain some of the Smashboards users are doing with 'he's generic'.

Spear user, completes the Kirby cast of the modern day era, and I've apparently got a weakness for battle butlers who serve Nintendo royalty(seriously; Toad, Dee and Impa? I'm shocked I'm not fully behind Kamek at this point!).

Bandana Dee's design is simple, cute and appealing and he's definitely got more than enough to work with for a really fun moveset.

Captain Toad prediction: 46%
Pauline prediction: 8%

Nominations:
Concept: Zelda Newcomer

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I would rather not argue the dead horse that is 'generic mook' and move on to a new, more interesting topic about Bandanna Dee such as his moveset potential and find out how Dee supporters feel about how some of us here think his potential is not that interesting. I thought my further insight on Bandanna would help create discussion, but I guess not. :/

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
FE having 7 reps really bugs me. Sure, they have a large pool to choose from, but sooner or later, by that argument's logic, this'll be FE Vs. Pokémon Ft. Smash Bros. characters.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Dee

In my opinion, this is less of a question of "Will Bandana Dee get in the game?" and more of "Will the Kirby series get another character?" He may not have the most flashy moveset potential, but he would function differently than the rest of the roster to feel unique. And I can't see Sakurai passing over the most requested Kirby newcomer for somebody else, he's too much of a people pleaser for that.

I do have a gut feeling that Sakurai might be satisfied with the Kirby series in Smash, which is why this isn't any higher. Still, more likely than not imo!

Another Brawl in the Family based love, but here I've got other reasons too. Bandana Dee has grown on me since Return to Dreamland, I love how the series has expanded his role as one of Kirby's best friends. He's extremely fun to play as in Super Smash Flash 2, and I'd love to see how Sakurai's interpretation would be different. Plus, Waddle Dees are adorable! How can you not like them?

Prediction for Captain Toad: 45%
Prediction for Pauline: 13%

Nominating Bomberman x5

MrNantendo

Smash Cadet
Bandanna Dee has been gaining major prominence in the recent Kirby game Star Allies, being marketed as a legacy Kirby character in Star Allies. It is no surprise to see people think that Bandanna Dee would be a popular frontrunner for Smash Switch because of that. But, I have one issue with Bandanna Dee that makes me think he is getting in. It is not Sakurai's 'biased representation' on Kirby games he has developed (Even though it is a somewhat major factor to his chances), but his move-set potential. Dee's move-set writes itself in games like Return to Dreamland and Star Allies, but conceptually and gameplay-wise, it does not spark as very interesting.

To quote the article that Push posted:

"To be blunt, if I think I can do it then I can envision a concrete embodiment of the character, but if I cannot do that the character cannot be made.” This is a big factor. Of course getting permission and understanding from the original creators is necessary, but whether the image of the character in my head is dancing powerfully, or not. This is of the utmost importance."

I have been trying to think this way with Bandanna Dee, and honestly, I do not have strong feelings about Dee's move-set when I envision in Smash gameplay conceptual terms. Dee's move-set is simply not as sparking of an idea as Bayonetta's witch powers or Inklings using of ink. Even if he does fill in an interesting gameplay archetype, when I think of his move-set and his characterization in the Kirby games, it does not spark the immediate imagination. It is just there.

Would Bandanna Dee really be something Sakurai would definitely be strongly intrigued by conceptually, assuming that he lets the Kirby bias aside and actually prioritize this character over other newcomers? I do not think so. I feel there are other characters like Chorus Kids, Tom Nook, Isabelle, and Spring Man that would spark more interest, priority, and imagination to Sakurai than Dee. It could be argued that Sakurai could do creative liberties if the spear moveset does not spark some immediate moveset interest, but I feel that would be the case if Sakurai finds an important need to add another Kirby character for representation purposes. And in terms of Kirby representation, I think Sakurai is content enough with Dedede and Metaknight to not consider a 4th Kirby character for Smash Switch development. If there were a 4th character to be considered, characters like Marx and even Prince Fluff would spark more interesting moveset ideas for Sakurai.

So, in my personal opinion, Dee's biggest issue getting into Smash Switch is the moveset potential lacking notable appeal, characterization, and gameplay interest, rather than the moveset potential itself. I think Sakurai will pass on Dee because the 'uniqueness' he provides does not spark enough imagination for the character to be considered for development.
So these are basically my thoughts as well but i guess i will do it in the style everyone is.

Bandanna Waddle Dee

Chance: 40%

He has a unique moveset, a lot of prominence in Kirby and could have Kirby's model as a base making development easier. However, I think Sakurai probably views him as a mob enemy. Waddle Dees are the series Goomba after all. Also, the Spear moveset isn't that interesting, not as interesting as say the Robobot for example. He could get in because of popularity but otherwise I think Sakurai won't be able to easily drop that image of him. Remember Waddle Dees appear in Smash Run as well and if a mode like that returns it may make things more difficult if they appear again.

Want: 60%

I kind of just want a new Kirby character, whether it be Waddle Dee, Magalor or Susie.

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Banana Waffle Deed

If we get a Kirby newcomer, it's him. He's been around everywhere in the series as of late. His main competition would be like, Marx...?

It's been a bit of time since the last Kirby newcomer and I think it's a worthwhile addition. I'd wager that Sakurai bias has simmered a bit in Kirby's direction, and perhaps more towards KI, but we still managed to get Dark Pit and a bucketload of KI-related content in Wii U / 3DS. So whose to say 10-year bias still sticks around, but considering Sakurai's design philosophy not always being the greatest thing on the planet, we'll see.

Weapon wise he brings something that (bafflingly) is still absent from a game of this size in terms of roster so he brings a lot to the table with just the spear (and the parasol if you want to go that far). We probably won't be seeing the likes of Ephraim or Azura, so he's probably the best shot on the table in terms of spear-related weapon users.

Of many of the newcomers barring the extremely given inclusions (Pyra [with Rex maybe or maybe not in some capacity], Spring Man/Ribbon Girl, Decidueye/Gen 8 mon, FE16/Echoes main character), he's probably got one of the best shots out there in similar tiers with Takamaru and Captain Toad.

Gimme. Wanted him in Wii U / 3DS, want him here.

Nominations: Celica x5

FE having 7 reps really bugs me. Sure, they have a large pool to choose from, but sooner or later, by that argument's logic, this'll be FE Vs. Pokémon Ft. Smash Bros. characters.
I mean, FE is really that popular. They're going to get more. It's one of their biggest franchises at this point because of the 3DS trilogy and FEH still being on a ridiculous hot streak despite being a really F2P unfriendly gacha. It bugs a lot of people for various reasons because of how sharp the turn Awakeningfates made and how drastic of a shift it was, which is certainly fair, but it is really that big of a series to them now.

If we happen to get someone from FE16, then we'll get that (could easily be some early DLC), but otherwise we'd likely get the likes of Celica because of how popular she is.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Bandana Waddle Dee:

Chance: 70%

Bandana Dee has a good chance at being included in this upcoming title. He's maintained relevancy, standing among the iconic figures of the Kirby franchise for a modestly impressive period of time, and his fan support was prevalent enough during the days of the smash ballot to warrant notice from the developers.

Want: 60%

The Kirby series of video games were among my favorites when I was a child. Additionally, I would be positively receptive if the franchise were to receive an additional representative in Smash, and Bandana Dee has great potential for the creation of a unique character and fighting style. However, I find myself feeling quite ambivalent, and altogether apathetic, regarding his inclusion, and I certainly wouldn't consider it a tragedy if Bandana Dee was left out of the roster once more.

Nominations:

x2 Porky Minch
x2 Incineroar
x1 Masked Man

Top Bottom