• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
For Smash, I'd like to thank:

1 - Bringing in Ridley. Finally killing the meme and bringing one thought impossible into the game.

2 - King K. Rool being in as well. Another long-requested fan favorite who definitely deserved to be in.

3 - A stage hazard toggle. That could make some less tolerable stages more fun.

4 - Bringing together so many fans of Nintendo together in a single game.

5 - The community.

No but seriously, though not every time we saw eye to eye, overall the community has been a great place. This is actually the first forum I joined, so thanks for bringing me out of my shell. I mostly just hang out in Rate Their Chances these days, with the occasional forum post, but I still remember some of my more famous posts and moments I helped to do.

Remember the day Hades took over for Groose way back in the day? I nominated him to be rated for Rate Their Chances back in Smash for. While I had made the occasional post in the tone of a character of that day, Groose went above and beyond, making an entire alternate account just for a joke. That day, so many role plays were suddenly had. Yes, I started it, but you guys were the one to really bring it into your own. I don't think Rate Their Chances will have a day like that, and it's all thanks to you guys.

Nominations

Arle Nadja X10

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
I'm thankful for the fact we're getting a new smash game at all
I'm thankful that someone, every character ever has been included, including snake who I thought was going to be near impossible to get back
I'm thankful for some great looking new comers. I'm excited to play all of them
I'm thankful thankful for the new and returning modes. Practicing characters is a lot more fun in tourny mode, where you have another goal to achieve other than getting something down. squad strike and smashdown both look like really fun ways alternate ways to play too
I'm thankful for World of Light, and how great that looks
And Finally, I'm thankful that I have 2 brothers that love smash as much as I do who I know I'll have a lot of fun playing the game with

noms
Gen 8 Pokemon x 10

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Thankful with Smash? There's quite a lot to say:
I'm thankful for first playing Melee when I was a little kid.
Thankful to Brawl for introducing Sonic and the Subspace (yeah, I'm one of those who liked it).
Thankful to Sm4sh for bringing Ryu in.
Thankful to Ultimate for bringing everyone back, plus adding Ridley, K. Rool and Simon.
And to all the franchise, I'm thankful for all the fun times, and for the music, latter one being always a pleasure to me.

Nominations: Pass will be all-guests x10

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
For Smash Ultimate, I'm thankful for bringing back the Story Mode in the form of World of Light. That's the one I've been expecting to show up during the November Direct and they did not disappoint.

I'm also thankful for bringing a bunch of newcomers to Smash. My favorites among them are Inkling, Simon, Ken and Isabelle. Oh, and I'm also thankful for bringing every single veteran back.

Nominations:
Nero Claudius x5
3rd Party Character from an unrepped company x5

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I think what I'm most thankful for is that Jigglypuff has made it to every Smash game so far. Seriously, I worry for her appearing with every game, as I know her stardom had died years ago.
:jigglypuff64::jigglypuffmelee::jigglypuff::4jigglypuff::ultjigglypuff:

I'm also thankful for Rate Their Chances. Speculation would get boring without a game like this to play.

Nominating: Professor Hector x10

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I don't really celebrate thanksgiving but I am thankfull for...
-Everyone returning, I have interest in picking up :ulticeclimbers::ultwolf::ultyounglink:and:squirtle:
-Fan favorites like :ultridley::ultkrool::ultinkling:and:ultsimon: finally getting in
-Squad Strike and Smashdown looking pretty fun
-Classic mode not being random garbage
-Getting some kind of story mode again
-Getting one of the biggest and most diverse OST in video game history
-Jigglypuff not looking like total garbage
-My most wanted characters not getting a hard deconfirm for DLC

CGI DLC trailers x10

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
+Thankful that Everyone is Here for Smash Ultimate - All the cut veterans had their fans, so I'm thankful that we've the most amazing roster of veterans.
+Thankful that Ridley is finally playable after 19 long years of speculating and hopes that he'd become playable in Smash Bros one day and discrediting the Too Big jokes once and for all.
+Thankful that King K. Rool is also able to join the roster and is portrayed so well; taking various elements from all his boss fights and coming back after 10 long years.
+Thankful that Isaac came back, even if he's just an Assist Trophy again. It'll probably be a long time until he gets another shot at being playable again, but if people are wanting to learn about Golden Sun like this, then the fanbase will grow stronger and so will his support.
+Thankful that Echo Fighters have become more accepted and loved by the fan-base for being characters that make Ultimate's roster even greater.
+Thankful for over 100 stages and the tons of music that'll be great to hear - already heard word of Crocodile Cacophony making it into the game, so hopefully we get some great DK music as well; and other franchises too.
+Thankful for this game looking to appeal to both the casual and competitive fans at the same time; not an easy balance, but they've done a lot to make plenty of new changes that should make it accessible to all players.
+Thankful that there's a rich amount of single-player content through a proper Classic Mode, the Spirits that can bring characters to Smash that would have been left to obscurity and Adventure Mode: World of Light.

Thanks for an Ultimate present, Sakurai.

Nominations: Hector (Fire Emblem) X10

Last edited:

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Now, I don't want to talk about too many things that i am thankful for, because every additional thing I add to the list will just make it less meaningful.

I only have one thing to truly be grateful for.

I am thankful for Masahiro Sakurai, for putting his heart and soul into this 5th iteration of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, something that he didn't have to do for us. He built the game for the fans, and he had done all of this through some members of the community's constant complaining (c'mon, I'm not wrong...). He never intended to offend anybody at all when Piranha Plant was confirmed to be playable, yet some people were. He has persisted through the bull**** unleashed on him by a small, cranky, and loud section of the community, yet has done his best to deliver a masterpiece that is Ultimate. He has done so much, and while some people may become angry at some of his choices, they probably aren't true Smash fans. Smash is a game that can bring millions of people together, and this installment certainly will fulfill. I'm glad that Sakurai stuck with it; he's done so much for us, and I firmly put my trust in his judgement, even if it may initially seem devisive.

And yes, I realized that I made overly broad judgements of the Smash community. That was my intent, and I do not mean to make people upset.

Nominations: Impa x10

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Thanksgiving

I'm thankful that Smash exists at all, when so many other possibilities never even get the chance.

I'm thankful Pichu gets a chance to be more than just a joke character.
I'm thankful Fountain of Dreams is finally returning.
I'm thankful we didn't have to worry about cuts for once.
I'm thankful everyone who wanted a single-player mode is getting their wish, and that Sakurai found a way to do it that wasn't as costly as the SSE.
I'm thankful we somehow got Chrom on board.
I'm thankful that Ridley and K. Rool are finally having their day.

I'm thankful that Masahiro Sakurai, of all the people in the world, is the one who both created Smash and stuck with it. The more we learn about game development, and the more transparent the whole process becomes, the more we realize just how screwed up a game's development can get - how much corporate interests get in the way, how often a series can take a turn for the worse because of changing hands, and especially how fallible game developers can be. I'm thankful that Sakurai has such a great history with games to begin with - a deep experience with competitive metagames through KoF and SF, a taste for unique and underappreciated games like Earthbound and Fire Emblem, and an understanding that everyone starts as a newbie somewhere. That perfect storm of attributes makes him the perfect father to Smash Bros, and I can't think of any other replacement in the industry today who'd have done as good of a job. I'm also thankful that he won't just add absolutely anyone people ask for.

I'm thankful that despite Smash being a no-seriousness-allowed crossover game, one still can learn a lot about people just by sticking around speculation period.

Lastly, I'm really thankful Piranha Plant went over with people way better than I'd have ever predicted such an inclusion would go. Not only would I have doubted that the Smash team could pull it off well, but I also doubted that most people would be so eager to try such a literally-unexpected reveal.

Nominations
Papyrus x10

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I'm thankful that Smash Ultimate has included every character throughout the entire series.
I have to remind myself that, even with the character reveals we've had and the speculation for DLC to come, that we still have a 70+ character roster with NO CUTS.
I'm thankful that all the extra characters coming will be new and interesting.
I'm thankful that this is not a 'deluxe port' of Smash 4 and that the already amazing roster from that game was stepped up once again.

And I'm thankful to have this on my switch, already downloaded, waiting for me to play it on the 7th Dec.
Thank you, Sakurai :)

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'm thankful that Sakurai made it his priority to bring back everyone. Almost no one took the idea seriously, and people outright expected cuts with the big targets typically being Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario which is why I find the idea of Black Shadow taking Ganondorf moveset while everyone else is being all cut-happy towards the clone trio to be hypocritical

Most people expected cuts but Ice Climbers and Wolf would come back. Young Link? Replaced by Toon Link. Snake? lol Konami. The most people were willing to humor was no cuts from Smash 4's roster. Instead, we got everyone back. Ultimate essentially added 18 characters with 6 more on the way via DLC. So yes. Thank you, Sakurai for making the impossible possible.

Boss Kracko x10

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I'm thankful that Sakurai made it his priority to bring back everyone. Almost no one took the idea seriously, and people outright expected cuts with the big targets typically being Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario which is why I find the idea of Black Shadow taking Ganondorf moveset while everyone else is being all cut-happy towards the clone trio to be hypocritical

Most people expected cuts but Ice Climbers and Wolf would come back. Young Link? Replaced by Toon Link. Snake? lol Konami. The most people were willing to humor was no cuts from Smash 4's roster. Instead, we got everyone back. Ultimate essentially added 18 characters with 6 more on the way via DLC. So yes. Thank you, Sakurai for making the impossible possible.

Boss Kracko x10
Not only that, we don't have to 're-buy' characters that didn't make it in, or 're-buy' the DLC characters that Smash 4 introduced - even the fact that we got CLOUD back is incredible, let alone Snake.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So I’m gonna edit this post in a bit since I am more preoccupied than I thought I’d be. Expect an essay.

Erdrick and Sline will go on until Saturday night since it is a big day and we are rating two characters.

Erdrick is essentially the Marth of Dragon Quest. A legendary hero renowned throughout the series that you play as in DQ3, one of the more popular ones in the series. An ideal choice for a Dragon Quest Rep if you go with a human.

On the other side, you got slime. Slime is essentially the mascot of the series. Slime is a minor enemy, who even has had spinoff appearances and games. Will that make him more likely?

Also predict sora.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Erdrick

Chance: 15%
So unless I am mistaken, Erdrick is one of the supposed newcomers according to Vergeben. Considering that Vergeben correctly leaked the entire Ultimate base roster (even sticking to Kencineroar when we all kept ignoring him during the Grinch leak) I am inclined to believe him. There was also talk of another Square Enix rep being DLC, and regardless of rumors I think it’s extremely likely for that to happen since they have a ton of reps to choose from.

Despite this however, I don’t think Erdrick’s chances are all that great as some people may say. Erdrick is virtually unknown overseas so I’m not sure what releasing them would accomplish. I know you could say the same thing about Richter but I don’t think that counts since he was made as a Simon echo. Also as stated before, Erdrick faces fierce competition with other more popular SE reps.

Want: 75%
While I haven’t been able to play the first few DQ games yet I think Erdrick could work as they are the ideal DQ protagonist. The DQ series has lots of elements that could be incorporated with Erdrick and he could even borrow elements from later games like Simon did.

-----

Slime

Chance: 25%
If we were to get a DQ rep then I think it would be Slime as it is the poster boy of the franchise and is fairly recognizable. The DQ Slimes have been featured prominently in DQ media, including having their own spinoff games and even appearing in various Mario crossovers such as Mario Sports Mix and Itadaki Street.

Their chances are still held back though due to other SE competition.

Want: Abstain
My want rating for Slime would depend entirely on how it plays. I have no idea what its moveset would be like so I won't comment.

-----

Sora chance prediction: 42.11%

Nominations: Kat & Ana x5

Off topic but the Ultimate soundtrack is currently being leaked so be prepared.

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Lagnus Bishasi and Gooey

Erdrick/Slime Combined Chance: 90%.
Erdrick Chance: 30%.
Slime Chance: 60%.
Nintendo is unlikely to pick Sora, because Sora's biggest upcoming game is not on a Nintendo console and it's more or less a competitor advertisement. Geno... Geno is a character. Dragon Quest is a series that is faithful enough to Nintendo, and in Japan just as big of a deal as Kingdom Hearts, so I think we'll get a DQ character for our Squeenix Rep. The 10% is in case Verge mistook the talks to get Cloud back for a newcomer, assuming Stealth's word about Cloud being hard to get back is accurate.

I think Slime is more likely than Erdrick, mostly because now that Piranha Plant has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that generic enemies are on the table, I have little doubt that the mascot of the series is who Nintendo would want to push. Erdrick, I mostly see as merely Mii Swordsman Costume material, but if Sakurai can't think of a moveset for Slime (which, if Matthew Taranto can, I doubt Sakurai can't) then Erdrick will happen. Overall, though, I definitely believe we're looking at one of these two for one of our DLC characters.

Erdrick and Slime share the same want: 40%. I think Japan deserves to get one of the largest series in (hell, I'm double standard-ing right now) but honestly, I just can't really say I care. That being said, Slime and Erdrick definitely do have what it takes to make it in, and I won't raise hell over their inclusion.

Nominations: Arle Nadja x 5.

Sora will have 70% Chance.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Erdrick and Slime, A Duo Across Time. Coming this Summer, 2018.

Erdrick
Chance-50%
Vergeben my lord.
Want-30%
Ur Goku get out.

Slime
Chance-30%
Would feel more redundant with Piranha Plant tbh and I think Sakurai is done with the generic characters for now.
Want-30%
It looks like Gooey from Kirby without any of the personality.

Nominations-Fallout Rep 5x

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Keep in mind both characters are separate. This is a double day.

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Erdrick-

Chance: 20%
If we get a DQ rep, I think it's more likely to be the MC of one of the games. I don't think we're going to get a DQ rep though. I know very little about DQ, but Erdrick sounds like the most likely DQ rep.

Want: 0%
I have no desire for a 3rd party swordfighter from an RPG I've never played. He's not very Nintendo-esque at all to me.

Slime-

Chance: 10%
I really don't see it happening, as hilarious as it'd be. Easily the most recognizable DQ rep, but recognizably has never been the only factor for picking newcomers.

Want: 10%
Seeing a glob of slime with a full moveset sounds absolutely hilarious, no matter how it's done. No attachment to the character, but it'd be funny at least.

Sora prediction: 47.89%

Nominating Rhythm Girl x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
VEGETA
Chance: 25%
Want: 5%
I've never played Dragon Quest in my life, so I have no relations to Erdrick at all. He was leaked by Hitagi and Vergeben, but Hitagi has been backpedaling as of recent, so who knows? He said his info on Steve and some other characters might also be wrong/fake, so his reliability compared to Vergeben has been going down. As for Erdrick himself, as mentioned above, I've never played Dragon Quest. And unlike our next character, I show zero interest in his character or design. He reminds me of Vegeta from Dragon Ball Z... Let the Goku for Smash memes begin...

BOOGER
Chance: 30%
Want: 60%
Everything that I mentioned above for Erdrick's chances apply to Slime as well. I gave him an extra 5% because I feel he is much more iconic than Erdrick. Hitagi is backpedaling by saying his sources were wrong or fake, so we'll see what happens. I do however know Slime a little bit, since I unlocked him in Mario Sports Mix, along with Cactuar, Black Mage, Moogle, etc. He also came with an Orange and Metal Slime variant. That game had a bunch of Square Enix characters as guests, and Slime was one of my favorite characters from that game.

Sora prediction: 30%

Nominations: Reaper x5

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Slime
Chance: 5%
Want: 80%

Erdrick
Chance: 1%

Neither are strong contenders in my opinion. I don't think SE will get any DLC. I'm convinced Nintendo will focus on mobile games and recent + upcoming Switch releases. Things that will appeal to the BIG crowd.
Slime is like the mascot of the franchise. The thing appears in every entry, and even has starred it's own spin-off titles. More people would recognize it more than the knight dude.
Slime is way more interesting in my opinion. Like Pirahna Plant, it has a bunch of distinct subspecies that could make for a unique fighter.

Nominations: Arle Nadja x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Erdick

Chance: 55%. Dragon Quest is the most likely SE franchise after FF to get a character. And why not, it's the most popular RPG in Japan by far none. It also helped innovate the RPG series itself(besides Ultima which inspired DQ and FF). Erdrick seems like the most likely character due to III's popularity over the other games.

Want: 95%. Why not. They're the forefather of RPGs.

Slime:

Chance: 50%. Same reasons for Erdrick. Slime is the mascot of the series, and Piranha Plant is playable. But of course Sakurai could probably not find a possible moveset for Slime and instead go with Erdrick and use DQ's Weapon Skills, Tension, & Magic.

Want: 95%. Same score as Erdrick. Either one is fine.

A factor hindering DQ in general, is the Copyright Issues DQ has mainly in the music department, which I heard is worse than FF.

Sora Prediction: 45.99%

Nominate: All DlC are 3rd Party x5

Last edited:

aarchak

Smash Ace
Erdrick

He's got a shot, but I doubt they would pick him over Slime. He just isn't iconic the way Slime is.
Want: ABSTAIN
I don't even know what he looks like, much less anything else about him, and that's saying something considering I know nothing about Dragon Quest and I still know of our other contender today.

Slime

Chance: 40%
He's far more iconic than Erdrick, so he's the promotional pick, unless a new game with a new protagonist was in the works and they wanted to promote that. Plus, Slime's got a lot of moveset potential, and I think Sakurai would pick him over Erdrick any day.
Want: 70%
I only know Slime from that one Mario basketball game on the DS. Even then, I still think he's a good pick, and I think I would enjoy playing as him.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Knight Guy

Chance: 3%
I really don't see it. If Nintendo's gonna go to the trouble of getting Dragon Quest in Smash, which would be a Herculean ordeal on its own for reasons I'll go into in Slime's rating, they're not gonna go for a character who would be recognized by maybe 2% of the world's population.

Want: Abstain
Forgive me, but who the hell is this guy?

Gooey's More Famous Cousin
Chance: 10%
I'm of the firm belief that Dragon Quest is not as big of a lock for the Square Enix spot as everyone is convinced it is, but if they do manage to get a character, Slime is almost certainly the one they'll go for seeing how he's the only DQ character that would be remotely recognizable outside of Japan. Still, I sincerely doubt this is happening. For one, DQ as a series is a complete non-entity outside of Japan. Even if it's "big in Japan" (like everything apparently is these days), this cannot be understated. I don't have the exact numbers on me right now, but some good samaritans over in the Geno thread did the math and found that a baffling 93% of DQ's overall sales have come from Japan, meaning that an absolutely OOF-inducing 7% of the DQ series' sales have come from anywhere but Japan (and that includes the first Dragon Quest on NES, which could be considered a statistical outlier as it was the only one to really make a splash outside of Japan). To add to this, Dragon Quest games are rarely ported to the West these days and consistently sell abysmally there when they are to the point where its creators are considering pulling the series from the West entirely due to overwhelmingly poor sales numbers. Clearly, picking any DQ character would be banking on a pretty specific market, that being Japan, to sell any better than any of SE's other properties. That might not be an issue if they were at least cheap and easy to license off, but the problem is they most certainly aren't.

DQ's rights are currently split between Square Enix, Armor Project, Akira Toriyama, and Koichi Sugiyama. The problem lies within that last guy; Dragon Quest's composer is so unbelievably stingy and overprotective of his work, he literally gives MIDIs to Western releases of Dragon Quest instead of the original tunes. Why? From what I can tell, it's a combination of blatant xenophobia and him wanting to sell albums. And considering that the Switch can basically be used as an MP3 player... yeah. We'd be dealing with Nobuo Uematsu tenfold. Add to that the recent controversy surrounding the man's... questionable beliefs, to say the least, and you have a guy that I would not be willing to touch with a thirty-nine and a half foot pole if I were in Nintendo's shoes.

So, to recap, for Slime (or any Dragon Quest character) to happen, Nintendo would need to pay out the ass in licensing fees to Square Enix, Armor Project, the character designer, and the composer, the lattermost of which would likely be incredibly difficult to work with and make the process a whole lot more expensive on top of being an unpopular figure in general, as well as split DLC/amiibo profits among some or all of these parties, all for a character that's barely recognized outside of Japan and in low demand even in Japan. (Yeah, even Japan doesn't seem too crazy about the idea of Dragon Quest in Smash for whatever reason.) I suppose it could happen, but it wouldn't be a terribly smart business decision even with the mystery Switch port of DQXI supposedly on the horizon, nor does Slime have the fan pull to make up for it unlike Geno. In terms of a Square Enix character, I see Geno, Sora, hell, even Lara Croft as being much more likely than any Dragon Quest character.

A generic enemy from a franchise I don't care about who would likely kill my most wanted's chances for good... no thank you.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Erdrick & Slime
Chance: 0%
Dragon Quest is a series that is a flop outside Japan. A DQ character would really only appeal to the Japanese market, and even they aren't interested in a DQ character. Also, the composer for the series is very hard to work with.

I'm not really interested in them.

Nom: Kat & Ana x5

SupriceSupplies

Smash Journeyman
Erdrick:
Chance: 35%
Well, the franchise is certainly popular. Even if its biggest audience in Japan. then again, they released Corrin before Fates came out in the west so I don't think he's outside of the realm of possiblity. That being said, as of right now, we don't have any FF content outside of Cloud, Midgar, and 2 FF tracks. We haven't even seen a spirit so far. It has me wondering how stingy Square actually is. Then again, a cetain someone who everyone knows by now made a statement that we're likely to get a new square character.

Not against him, but I never played his game or even heard about him until recently. So I'm not interested in the slightest.

Slime:
Chance: 40%
Same reasons as Erdrick. But has an edge over him thanks to being the Pikachu of the series.

Want: 75%
Listen I love Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime so you bet i want Slime in. Just give em the tank for their Final Smash.

AirMac1

Smash Journeyman
Abstaining on both since I don’t know enough about both of them to be fair.

Noms:9-volt x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Yeeeeah no. A Dragon Quest rep doesn't excite me at all. It would be very one-side if one did get in. Abstaining on both.

Boss Kracko x5

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
On Both:

I do think there will be a DQ rep, and it'll just be one or the other.

Erdrick:

Chance: 40%. He would've been much more likely had Hitagi not backpedalled. However, he could be the Cloud of DQ and they choose him.

Slime:

Chance: 45%: This seems more likely now that Erdrick seems out of the running, since he's more iconic and would better represent the series. People don't know who Erdrick is. People do know who Slime is.

Want: 30% for Slime, 20% for Erdrick. Erdrick is a very niche pick, especially considering how there is a better DQ rep in Slime, who is more iconic and would be a better fit with the rest of the cast. For a DQ rep as a whole, I would rather take Sora or Geno as a Square Rep, due to them being more highly requested.

Nomination: No Fan Favorites x.... is it 5 or 10 today? I'm not sure. It's a double day and I don't know how many it is. Whatever is the max, just do that.

Also just a PSA: Copies of Smash Ultimate have been released too early in Mexico. Mute all social media outlets and do not open any spoiler tags!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Kierdar

Smash Rookie
Edelgard
Chance: 75%
FE Three Houses is one of the few FE games without a rep. Plus it's Fire Emblem, and you know how much Sakurai loves to put Fire Emblem in smash.
Want: 50%
Another Fire Emblem rep! But also, another Fire Emblem rep...

Troykv

Smash Master
Erdrick

Erdrick is a character that is quite iconic for the franchise itself; and the fundations of the series (and the Modern JRPG in general) were created in the game where him and his family were the main focus.

Slime

Slime is a general icon of gaming; a bit more random with it's potential; but it's indeed a character with considering.

Chance (both): 30%

Both of them have the advantage of being part of the DQ, a very very popular franchise, and the biggest JRPG Series in Japan; the existence of information leaks about Square Enix and Smash Bros makes this two character quite likely.

Want: 50%

Well; they're iconic, I give them that; I don't know much more about them (except the fact I have a friend that would like to have Erdrick/Roto in the game).

____

Predictions:

Sora: 39.7%

Nominations:

Reimu Hakurei x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Datamines are happening. I am hoping that not every character gets spoiled but I can see us getting one or two spoilers.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Dragon Quest Stuff

Chance: 30%

I'll rate both together, since they're both in about the same place.

On the one hand, we've got another generic JRPG anime swordsman. On the other, a literal blob of goo - but one which happens to be the mascot of the franchise.

Dragon Quest's big in Japan, but it's one of those things that's not really hit big elsewhere (except France, I believe...). Still, depending on who's selecting the DLC, it's got a decent chance. I could definitely see NoJ favoring that above other franchises which have been suggested by leakers; at least this one is known outside of Japan. Still, there are more worldy franchises...but that's no guarantee that any of them would be picked.

Personally, I'm not impressed. I think PP should be a one-off joke, not permission for every generic Zubat to get into Smash. And as I've said before, I'm not huge on JRPGs when my favored Dragon hunter is sitting right over there. Long story short - there's another dragonslayer I'd much rather see, as unlikely as he is...

Nom: More DLC x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Datamines are happening. I am hoping that not every character gets spoiled but I can see us getting one or two spoilers.
It's only music and bosses that have been datamined so far. I have seen some of it, but I will not spoil anything. :)

Note: If you see the name "Crunchii" anywhere, avoid it. It might contain spoilers.

Another note: If you wanna talk Smash Ultimate Spoilers, please use the spoiler tags.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Welp
So there apparently is a Kirby boss in the game.
It's Marx, and I'm voting for Kracko.
Ganon is found to be a boss, so Link and friends will likely face him in Classic mode. Maybe Ganondorf too to assert dominance.

Can I just say Zinnia's theme is absolutely ****ing glorious?
Because it is absolutely ****ing glorious!

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Erdrick

Admittedly, don't know much about the dude. But a Dragon Quest rep has certainly been in the rumor mill recently. Not much else to say, really; Verge and other leakers say a Square rep is coming and he could be it. Chance is so low because said Square rep could easily be any of a number of other characters.

I like JRPGs but I have no interest in Dragon Quest. If we're getting a JRPG character there's way better first-party choices; no reason to go outside of your own house for something like this, even if it's popular in Japan. Golden Sun has been waiting its turn for ages, but even if we don't get Isaac, I'll take almost any Fire Emblem swordsman over a Dragon Quest rep.

Slime

Chance: 14%
Pretty much the same story as above. Square rep is likely and Dragon Quest could be the franchise to take that spot. Slime is maybe slightly less likely than other DQ characters as Sakurai could feel he isn't feasible for whatever reason, but probably feasibility is a non-issue.

Again, similar to Erdrick. No reason for DQ to get a rep when there are other first-party series that could use a first or additional rep, whether it be within the JRPG genre or not.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nominations coming soon, just wanted to give a quick rating.

I think if we don’t get Sora, we’ll get a Dragon Quest Rep. It’s a huge series, its importance in gaming cannot be understated. It didn’t really stick in the West, but the suits at Nintendo of Japan could very much look at sales estimated in Japan only and go ‘eh, who cares about America? Give them Crash or whatever’.

Now as for each. Erdrick is a good rep if they were to pick a human, as the first three games all revolve around him, and the first three games were when the games were still kind of a big deal in the West, so that appeal shouldn’t be understated. Still, if they go for a human character, I’m expecting Luminary from 11, just cause he’s the new hotness and I can see Square trying to push him as DQ’s Cloud.

As for want, I’ll give a 60%. I like him as his games, but he really isn’t iconic. I’d argue 8’s and 11’s designs are much more recognizable.

Now Slime, unlike unique-characters-everyone-trashes Toad and Dee, this one actually gets helped by Piranha Plant proving that you don’t really need to be a character to be in Smash. Slime also has a leg over it in that it has some actual personality (and they could always heavily base it on Rocket Slime if need be). The moveset potential is there, it’s iconic. The only reason I can see it being passed over is that they might not want to sell two generic mooks as DLC (although I could see them being that stupid).

As for want, I’ll give an 70%. Mostly because it is iconic and Dragon Quest deserves the representation. I also love Rocket Slime (probably way more than any actual DQ game). I wouldn’t really be excited to see it though.

Nominations: Mach RiderX5 (I saw him on Soul Calibur 6 today, that was fun)

Top Bottom