• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Troykv

Smash Master
Smash Run... Abstain; I don't have idea xD.

Predictions:

Lloyd: 12.5%

Nominations:

Ayumi Tachibana x3
Adeleine x2

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Smash Run

Chance: 43%
I think it's fairly likely to return. It was a well received mode, and the Switch is perfect for a concept like it. I could see the developers cleaning it up and making it even more fun to play. Since this Smash went into development very soon after the previous Smash I think they'd want to bring back a mode or two from that game to make this one more a little 'Ultimate.' I can't really see them coming up with too many new modes to replace the older modes. I'll give the concept of Smash Run making a return a 43%.
Run run run as fast as you can...

Want: 70%
I think it would be a lot of fun to play if they bring it back as long as they make it better. It's always good to have an extra mode you and your friends can play if you get tired of normal Smash. I'd even take Smash Tour if they can make the concept of that better. I wouldn't miss Smash Run too much though if they decide to make a new mode to replace it, as long as the new mode is fun.

Prediction
Lloyd Irving: 22.4%

Nominations
Tetra x 5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Smash Run

Chance: 50%
Want: 80%

It was an overall fun mode on Smash 3DS. Much more than Smash Tour on Wii U. There's an effort to bringing in 3DS stages to Ultimate though bringing in stages could be different from bringing in a new mode entirely. I'd like to see more stages inspired by other franchises.

Nominations
Rowlet x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Smash Run

This is a weird one since it was a popularly received mode and Ultimate is seeking to bring back a lot of beloved elements, but Smash as a whole doesn't recycle its modes all that much aside from Classic and All-Star and Sakurai does tend to lean more towards adding new modes then keeping old ones. I could easily see this go either way, it just depends on what the approach is for the single player this time around.

Want: 100%
Give it a few tweaks, allow players to see each other, maybe add some online, and I'm all set.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Smash Run Chance - 70%: This is largely the only good single player modes contributed by SSB4, and it would make sense to bring it back rathern than letting it rot on a console plenty of people didn't even buy the game for. While single player content isn't reused that often in these games, this game has a theme of returning assets, as seen with the characters and stages.

Smash Run Want - 90%: I don't have a 3DS.

Nominate Fawful x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Smash Run

It was a very popular mode that many fans liked in Smash 3DS. It's also the Smash version of Kirby Air Ride's City Trial, a mode Sakurai is fond of. Still, they could just implement a completely different game mode instead for reasons I'm not sure of.

If we can't have another Story/Adventure mode, this will suffice. Smash Run is a very fun mode!

------

Predictions

Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia): 18.14%

No comment.

------

Nominations

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney): x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Smash Run

It was very popular and a fun mode in the smash4 3ds nya. While I don't see it as first priority, I can believe that Sakurai would have thoughts of bringing it back nyaa~

It was a neat mode, and I'd be trilled to see it come back nya. Nyo what would make me even more trilled to see it nya? Fix and improve it nya. Nyu can do it Sakuraiiiiiiiiii nyaaaaaaaa~

Nyominations
Brinstar Depths (Stage): x5

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Smash Run

At this point, I'd just be regurgitating the same points as to why it could come back, but I'm giving it a 50%, simply for the fact that Sakurai is unpredictable as is, so there's always the chance that something the community wants to happen, doesn't happen (playable Waluigi).

Only played it a couple of times, but it was a fun and solid mode, that with a little bit of fleshing out, could become is own Aventure mode sort of thing.

Nominations
Ken (Street Fighter): x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Neku Sakaruba x315
Fawful x294
Tails x285
Parabo & Satebo x267
Fire Emblem Heroes Summoner x262
Kamek x252
Wonder Red x252

Over 200:

Ayumi Tachibana x251
Tetra x249
Primarina x240
Ryu Hayabusa x235
Scorpion x231
Thwomp x226
Linkle x225
Labo Guy/Robot x215
Katrielle Layton x208

199-150

Balloon Fighter x190
Ray x188
Dragonite x187
DeMille x183
Django x180
Papyrus x175
Concept: Female Announcer x175
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x155
Fire Emblem Three houses Protagonist x155
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x155
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150
Tsubasa Oribe x150
Louie x150

149-100

Incineroar x130
Barbara x122
Nikki x115
Rowlet x115
Nihilego x115
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x114
2B x111
Concept: Hanafuda character x109
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x108
Raiden x105
Neptune x105
Susie x104

99-75

Viewtiful Joe x95
Reinhardt Gets a Trophy x95
Gooey x94
Ninten x88
Concept: Style Savvy character x88
Klonoa x87
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x86
Concept: Pikmin newcomer x85
Tora & Poppi x82
Fjorm x75

74-50

Veronica x73
Rick/Coo/Kine x69
Viridi x68
Ken x67
Yu Narakumi x66
Breidablik Item x65
Zeraora (Pokémon) x64
Toon Zelda x64
Endou Mamoru x62
9-Volt x62
Concept: Historical Character x60
Concept: Only 4-6 newcomers for base roster x60
Concept: All-Star Versus x59
Slime x58
Concept: Wars character x53
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x50

49-26:

Concept: More than five unique newcomers x45
Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist x45
Rhythm Girl x40
Edelgard x40
Chorus Kids x35
Concept: Chun-Li as an assist trophy x35
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x35
Tapu Koko x30
Medusa x30

Under 25:

[Rerate] Spyro x20
Concept: Disconfirmed Characters as DLC x20
Item: Beast Ball x20
Terry Bogard x17
Concept: Custom Alternate Colors x15
Saber x15
Adeleine x12
Daroach x12
Master Chief x10
Xenoblade X Avatar/Cross x10
[Rerate] Concept: Zelda newcomer x10
Stage: Poke Floats x10
Stage: Brinstar Depths x10
Frank West x10
Sub-Zero x7
Concept: SR388 stage x5
Alm x5
Nia x5
Earthworm Jim x5
Concept: Custom Moves return x15
Alexandra Roivas x5
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong x5
Stage: Fountain of Dreams x5

There we go. Brand new spankin' top 7.

Also found it funny that Tingle got the most discussion these past few days.

D

Deleted member

Smash Run

Want: 75%

Fun mode that would be pretty neat to see return, but I wouldn't miss it much if it were gone. As for its chances, I honestly have no idea.

Nomination: Spyro Rerate x5

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
Smash Run

Chance: 60%
I would say that it would be nice to have this come back, alongside a new Story mode. It would add another game mode to the mix and offer more to do besides a Story. I know there are people who like it, and Sakurai might need another mode to keep fans entertained if we don't get a new story mode.

Want: 30%
I never really played Smash 3ds much, I always found the Wii U a lot more entertaining and competitive. I do remember Smash run tho, and I remember it being there to give me a small bit of fun. It wasn't exactly too entertaining, just another mode to fill the amount of time I had when our my Internet cut out.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Smash Run

Chance: 33%
People seem to be a bit optimistic about Smash Run's chances, considering the high mortality rate of standout single-player modes that were received well. While it has enough replayability to make it a logical choice, it might also get set aside in favour of some brand-spanking new mode that Sakurai has in mind for Ultimate, whatever it might be.

Smash Run also leaned heavily on the existence of custom fighters, which might not be returning this time. Customisation allowed people to buff up characters who might be too slow, weak, or niche for Smash Run to have a fighting chance, or equip characters with weapons and power-ups in case of emergencies, or simply try out absurd stat builds against an NPC army. Smash run doesn't depend on custom fighters to return, of course, but it might be a lot less repayable than we'd like.

Still, Smash Run received almost universal praise, so I doubt they'd simply forget about it. It took what made the playable part of the SSE fun - fighting different kinds of enemies from different video games - and adapted it into a mode with replay value, consuming probably way less resources than the SSE for more value. If they don't bring it back, then hopefully they've got an even better successor waiting in the wings.

Want: 60%
I enjoyed Smash Run, and I was only disappointed by the prevalence of Kid Icarus: Uprising enemies when they could have used an even bigger variety of enemies. I also thought that the final match that it forced at the end to determine the "winner" wasn't exactly a satisfactory way to end the whole thing, unless it was the race (which even then was weighted towards whoever invested in speed). If they're not working on any new single-player mode, then I'd love to at least see Smash Run come back, but I'd also prefer to see an improvement upon its original incarnation.

Prediction
Lloyd Irving: 9.2%

Nominations
Vididi x5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok gang heres a status update.

I was purpusefully extending days for the past week. I have been wanting for a while for weeks to rollover more efficiently. Having a new week begin on Thursdays for a while felt odd to say the least. As such, I felt that right now we were in a good spot to extend a few days to get us on a new track.

In terms of other good news, scores. I have a doc with most of them. Expect them by Saturday. The front page will get a revamp as well. There are a few things I am potentially looking for.

1. A Banner for the thread. Would be nice to spice up the OP. I am fine with just putting images of the characters of the day in the op, but I feel that this would be more interesting.
2. A Top ten of chance and want. Once scores are out I would like this back. I forget who made the original but if they would like to make a new graphic they are more than welcome to.

In terms of other news, I feel that we could go for rating more concepts, stages, and items. I do not want to artificially inflate their noms, as I feel that is unfair to people who are nomming characters. I also do not want to make them in their own nominations section. I might think of more solutions to this in the future. If we do more days which do not involve characters, expect double days with a character in the future.

Finally, there is no purge in sight. Perhaps I might do one after the next character reveal but I would give you time to know.

Thank you all for being patient.

Now for my rating

Smash Run
45% Chance

The biggest hurdle Smash Run may face is it might be difficult to transfer a lot of enemies into the game. Assuming they could borrow models from games of the series, it could happen. However, for the most part I worry that it may be a little hard to transfer models, and they might have to make new assets. If that is the case I feel it would be less. Realistically, I feel that any game on the Wii U, Switch, and perhaps but not likely a PS3/PS4 game in the case of Metal Gear could appear as ported models.

100% Want

A fully realized smash run would be so good. Let me level with some of my ideas.

1. All Players on the same map.

The 3DS could not handle fighters all interacting on the map at once. I feel that the Switch can. Be it through multi switch connectivity or split screen having access to a whole map would be so much fun. I would love to find my friends and smash them and steal their boosts they worked so hard for. I would love for that.

2. More events, Boss battles?

I feel that unless and Adventure mode of some sort shows up, Boss battles might be rarer. I would love world events where bosses show up. Imagine having to do a world event where Mother Brain shows up. Or the Yellow Devil? Or Metal Face? Metal Gear REX? Dyna Blade? Having bosses show up as world events would be so cool. Perhaps have a fighting mii team show up, whoever kills the most gets a stat boost. Maybe boss battles as a final challenge?

This mode has so much potential. I would love to see it realized

Nominating Ninten x 5

Day over, rate Lloyd Irving and predict Concept: Monster Hunter character.

D

Deleted member

Abstaining on Lloyd. I don't know enough about him to comment.

Nominating Ultra Space stage x5

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Lloyd
Chance: 5%
Faces heavy competition from Heihachi when it comes to a second Namco rep. I think if Sakurai still can't make that old man work Lloyd could be next in line, considering he got a Mii costume last game. The ''Tales of'' series might not be big enough for a third-party franchise to be represented however.

Want: ABSTAIN

Monster Hunter: 12.73%

Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voices x5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Lloyd Irving

Chances: 25%
Lloyd is one of the most common request I see from the Tales series, mainly because his game is considered on of the best in the series. I've never gotten to play any Tales games so I can't speak on it. I do know that out of all the Tales characters Lloyd was the one who managed to get a Mii costume, but I also don't hold that as being a huge push since I don't expect to be seeing Black Knight or any Chocobo in the Smash.

In terms of Tales characters I can see why people would think he has a chance, but I don't think its that high. Sure Lloyd is popular and his game is praised, but Yuri Lowell has the benefit of being relevant and appearing in crossovers more, I can't really speak on his own popularity but I know people like Vesparia. And we know that your game doesn't have to be on Nintendo consoles to get into Smash. So as far as Tales goes I would say Yuri has a better shot than Lloyd.

As far as Namco reps as a whole I (unfortunately) expect a character from Tekken. (though it is important to note that Sakurai when speaking on Heihachi said that he was only one of the characters he considered so any of the others, whoever they are, are just as possible)

Want: 0%
Like I said I never played a Tales game so have no connection to Lloyd. The closest connections I have to a Tales character is playing as Yuri, Flynn and Estelle in Project X Zone 2 so if I had to pick a Tales character is would most certainly be any of them since I know more about them.

In terms of Namco reps in general I would rather have Klonoa (in hopes of a series revival) and just from the fact that Klonoa isn't another sword user of the plethora we already have.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Abstaining from Lloyd. I'm sure the Mii costume counts for something (even though I'd be shocked if we got, say, Flying Man or Dunban or Jacky playable), but I don't think I could give an accurate rating.

Nomination: Spyro Rerate x5

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Gonna abstain from Lloyd, since I barley know anything about him, any character I know from the series is yuri, lynn and Estelle because of the project x zone games.

Nominations: Zero x5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Lloyd Irving

Chances: 10% - At the very least, having a Mii Costume in Smash 4 may give him a small boost. However, his greatest competition is Heihachi, who Sakurai seriously considered before deciding to go with Ryu.

Want: 0% - I have no interest in adding more 3rd Parties to the roster.

Nominations - Deconfirmed Character DLC x5

1. A Banner for the thread. Would be nice to spice up the OP. I am fine with just putting images of the characters of the day in the op, but I feel that this would be more interesting.
2. A Top ten of chance and want. Once scores are out I would like this back. I forget who made the original but if they would like to make a new graphic they are more than welcome to.

Don't know if you were planning to make one yourself, but I decided to go ahead and take a few minutes to throw this together. Nothing special, but it's simple. I could also do the Top 10's charts for you if you don't already have someone for that.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Lloyd
Chance: 10% -
He got a Mii costume, which is more than some of his Namco Bandai competition can state, and he's from one of the most beloved and influtential Gamecube games ever made. Relevancy isn't really a factor, as if it was that Mii costume wouldn't exist. There's definitely a chance.
Want: 30% - I wouldn't mind him, but after Rayman, Banjo, and Sora please.

Prediction: Monster Hunter Character
Chance: 21.63%
Want: 62.13%

Nominations:
Frank West x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Lloyd Irving

Chance: 15%. Fairly requested though I think other Namco characters have higher priority (such as a possible Tekken rep).
Want: Abstain. I've only played a bit of Tales of Symphonia so I don't really know the character all that much to give an opinion on him.

D

Deleted member

Lloyd Irving
Chance: 30%
Want: abstain

He still has his chances as a 2nd Bamco rep given he had a Mii costume in Smash 4.
Otherwise I haven't much else to say, as I've yet to play a Tales of game.

Noms:
Female announcer x5

Monster Hunter character chance: 17.43%

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Lloyd is one of the most requested newcomers I have seen during my time speculating pre-Smash 4. He easily has the moveset potential and popularity to get in as a potential new third party, but him getting in depends on two certain factors:

1. Whether Sakurai can get Heihachi's Tekken movement mechanics properly implemented into Smash gameplay.
2. Whether Sakurai perceives the Tales Of franchise as globally popular.

I have my personal doubts that Sakurai will be able to find a solution to making Tekken mechanics work as smoothly and accurately as Ryu's command inputs and combos in Smash. With Heihachi possibly off the table, it leaves room for the Tales series to get playable representation, being the third best selling franchise, beating other Namco properties like Soul Calibur and Ace Combat. Although, one question remains, will Sakurai perceive the Tales Of franchise as globally popular? Aside from Tales of Symphonia being the only notable title that gained worldwide popularity, the rest of its titles are niche with the West. Sakurai might just see the franchise as exclusively popular in Japan, in a similar way that Dragon Quest, Yo-kai Watch, & Monster Hunter were very popular only in Japan at the time of project planning. Tales of does not have the same amount of consistent global success as other franchises like Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and Professor Layton for me to really see Lloyd happening, but who knows? One successful title might be enough for Sakurai to approve of Lloyd's inclusion.

x5 Hanafuda character

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Lloyd

Chance: 6%
I don’t think he’ll get in over Heihachi, and until proven otherwise I’m not betting on 3 third parties per company.

Want: 50%
On one hand I love Tales of Symphonia, but I acknowledge that the Tales games might not be big enough to merit being in Smash.

Prediction for a MonHun rep: 27%
I just know people are going to overshoot it because of the Mii costume and it being Capcom’s cash cow nowadays.

Nominations go to Ayumi Tachibana

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Lloyd Irving:
Chance: 10%

Given the fact that he's a third party character, and under Bandai Namco no less, he's facing some serious competition from their own IPs, such as Nightmare, Jin, and/or Heihachi from Soul Calibur and Tekken respectively. He did however get recognized as a Mii costume in Smash 4, so there is a slight possibility for consideration. Yet, there's also costumes for Black Knight, Akira, Takamaru, and the different iterations of Mega Man which are not becoming fully fledged fighters. (Especially in Takamaru's case.)
You can expect Lloyd or any Tales character to miss out being apart of the base roster this time around.

This is mostly because I have no interest in the Tales games, and I don't think he should be put before some of the more iconic characters from the same third party. But with that said, I wouldn't mind his inclusion. Just feel complete apathy towards it.

Nominations:
Chorus Kids x5

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Lloyd Irving
Chance: 8%
He's from one fairly old game. Yes, we've gotten characters like that before, most notably Cloud, but Lloyd is 3rd party and not nearly as influential as Cloud. I don't think it's happening.

Want: 5%
I actually tried his game once (or one of the Tales games. I think it was his), but I couldn't get into it. I have no interest.

Nominate Style Savvy character x5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Lloyd Irving

Chance - 1%

If we do get a second Namco character, I can't see it being anyone else than Heihachi. He's considerably more iconic, and has previously been considered. The "Tales of" series is hardly a hard hitter in the west, and I can't see it being taken into consideration for a third party as well.

Want - 0%

No interest in the series. He's not iconic.

Nominations:
[Stage] Poke Floats x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Lloyd
Chance 9%
The tales of series doesnt seem that big, and I don't really expect a second Namco character

Want 30%
If we do get a second Namco character, I think I'd rather him over others

Prediction MonHun 22%

Nominate Daroach x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Lloyd Irving want: 0% (4-10*)

Dual swords with moves cancelling into others to make combos sounds cool, but it's not novel enough to get me very excited. In addition, I haven't played any Tales games yet, so I don't have any personal connection to the character. I've also heard some people say that there are characters from this series they'd rather have than Lloyd, and some of his support is just because he's the main character. I don't think Smash should go for main characters first as a principle.

Nominations:

Neku x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Lloyd Irving

Chance - 9.75% - The Tails of franchise is not that iconic or notable in the world at large. He was famous for Smash pre-Pacman, but otherwise? Unless we get another Bayo situatinon I can't see it.

Want - 40% - No real attachment. I would rather have other third parites.

Prediciton

Monster Hunter character - 24.24% - Decently, I guess...

Nominations

Nihilego X5

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd Miirving

His Mii Costume is very likely to return.

Want: 5%
It's a good costume that adds a lot to Mii Swordsman. I'd like to see it come back.

Nominations:
Dragonite x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Lloyd

Lloyd's got the Mii costume in Smash4, but the Tales Of sereis is not the most well known of Namco's other IPs. If Namco's getting another rep, it'll most likely be Heihachi.

Even though I'd prefer Ivy or Siegfried/Nightmare.

Monster Hunter prediction: 8.4%
Nom: Fountain of Dreams x5

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd Irving

Chance - 35%
+ The Tales Of series is a large and popular series and one of the biggest JRPG series. For Lloyd specifically, his first game on the Gamecube was seen as the introduction of the Tales series to the western world. Yes, Symphonia got a sequel with Lloyd in it, so he's not a one-off character. He has plenty of usable moves with a unique dual blade fighting style, too.
Also, he might get in as an appeal to the Japanese market, which I think is more important after Ridley.

- He'd be a second Namco rep, but I don't really think that's a problem. However, he'd have to compete with other popular Tales characters like Yuri if they want a Tales rep. More importantly, competition for third parties in general is tough.

Want - 60%
I'd be fine with him, though I'd be happy with any Tales character.

Prediction:
Monster Hunter character - 14.5%

Nominations:
Viridi x5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Lloyd
Chance: 0%
Just being realistic here. It's very unlikely that Tales will get a rep, and if it does, I imagine it would be someone from a newer game.

I played a bit of ToS when it came out and it was a nice game but I never bought it (played with a friend who loved the game). Tales isn't really on my list of third party series I want to see in Smash.

Nominations: Neku x 5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Lloyd
Chance - 15%
The costume shows he's on the radar at least. I'm just not sure he has enough going for him to get him in over others.
Want - 50%
No strong feelings either way. I'd be cool with him, but I'm not rooting that much for him either.

Nominations 5x Incineroar

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Abstaining for today. Not familiar with the character enough to give an accurate rating.

------

Predictions

Monster Hunter rep: 20.52%

No comment.

------

Nominations

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney): x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Oh boy my favorite day right now! Alright here we go! Have a cup of Hot Coffee on the house!

Lloyd Irving

Chance: 55%

Oh Boy that seems like a little high of score. Well I personally think that Lloyd is a very sleeper type of character. On Bayonetta's scale. My main points of reference comes from this detailed post on Reddit that gives his case. https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/8vaf7k/the_case_for_lloyd/

The Tales of Series is considered the 3rd most popular JRPG series in Japan behind DQ and Final Fantasy. Although it's less popular outside of Japan, Tales of Symphonia thanks to advertising by Nintendo helped increase the popularity of the series in the west. Although the time between Symphonia and Vesperia was a pretty bleak due to Namco's poor treatment of the series in the west. They learned their mistake by localizing Tales of Graces F and actually advertising it. It wasn't until Xillia that Tales was brought back on the map. Now every mothership since Graces F has been localized. All titles starting with Zestiria and Symphonia Chronicles have been ported to Steam.

The Tales of Series has a decent relationship with Nintendo as several mothership titles were developed on Nintendo consoles. The latest title which is Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition will be coming to all current gen systems including the Switch. There's a chance we could get Yuri Lowell instead as a Tales rep due to him being the overall most popular character of the Tales series, even being included in both Project X Zone games.

Another advantage is that Lloyd is owned by Namco which Ultimate is being Co-Developed by.

It's actually cold coffee.

There's a theory that some of the DLC Mii Costumes were actually ballot consolation prizes and considerations for Ultimate as they placed high on the ballot, and with the recent discovery that Bayonetta was most likely planned from the start, this theory becomes more plausible. Lloyd Irving was available as a Mii Costume a couple of months after the ballot was opened. He released alongside King K. Rool and Chrom who were requested characters, which makes me believe he placed very well on the Ballot.

The Tales Series is also compared to Smash due to the similar mechanics(like A moves and B moves changing based on the analog stick's direction). There's also the fact that the Tales Series Linear Motion Battle System and it's variations & upgrades as well the combo system(each arte is classified with levels with base being the lowest and Arcane being the highest and you chain from the lowest lvl arte to the highest) of the series would make Lloyd Irving a Unique character himself which would make him different from the other "GENERIC ANIMEAAAA SWORSAAAAMMAAAN" some of the vocal parts of the Smash fanbase like to complain about.

So all in all, he's like Bayonetta. A Sleeper character people laugh at the possibility of being playable but can actually be a possibility. Of course not saying he's guaranteed to be in as he has he cons as well. But remember that Smash always has sleeper characters that online forums never predicted. Even if it isn't Lloyd.

Of course he's my most wanted newcomer by far alongside King K. Rool. It would so exciting to have a Lloyd vs Cloud match. Or if we get a DQ rep as well. A battle of the Three Big JRPGS!

Monster Hunter Prediction: 17.7%

Nominate: Concept: More Than 5 Unique Newcomers x5

I lied... It's actually hot. :troll:]

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd Irving

Chance: 25%
Lloyd is one of the most famous character of the Tales series and as much as I like him to be in the game, I don't think he's making it in, especially since Tekken would be more likely to be Namco's second rep.

I've been playing Tales of Symphonia since childhood and I really loved Lloyd as a character. He's quite unique compared to other Tales characters out there.

Prediction:
Monster Hunter - 15%

Nomination:
Saber Artoria (Fate) x5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Lloyd Irving

No Echo potential, obviously.

Positive factors for Lloyd:
-Namco's already involved
-He received a Mii fighter costume
-He has previously been a guest character in a fighting game. True, it was a Namco game, but it shows that Namco viewed him as a prominent Tales character and particularly appropriate for a Wii exclusive (since Tales of Symphonia came out a year earlier on GameCube than any other platforms)
-Irving's game was the highest selling entry in the Tales series

Negative factors:
-He doesn't seem highly requested from what I can tell
-His series is reasonably popular, but since it has different casts in each game and no truly blockbuster entries, no character is going to be as iconic as, say, Cloud
-Irving's game originally released over a decade ago
-That game he guest starred in... didn't do well
-Third-parties need to meet a higher standard, so while Tales would probably already have a rep as a first-party, the lower demand and the fact that he's simply not that iconic are significant issues for him.

Lloyd Irving chances: 3%
Lloyd Irving want: 35%
A dual-wielding sword user could be interesting, but I don't know that it offers enough for me to want him given that swordfighters are quite numerous already. I don't have any particular connection to the character (maybe his game would be worth checking out?*) so overall I'd prefer other characters (regardless of whether Nintendo or 3rd party).

*Given that from what I read, the story was considered weaker than the gameplay, that does suggest I might be less inclined for him to be included. In story-heavy games, that's a factor in which characters I would want... for example, while I'm fine with Shulk, honestly, I didn't like him that much as a character. The things I liked about Xenoblade were the gameplay, music (great) and visuals (good art direction and great landscapes) more so than the story and characters (but Dunban and Riki were cool, I also like Melia better than Shulk). I understand he was the inevitable choice as the main character, so I expected it, but still... meh.

Nominations: Tetra x5

Top Bottom