• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Troykv

Smash Master
Kyo Kusanagi

Chance: 10%

Well... Can I say it wasn't already said? Kyo Kusanagi is in a rough spot right now after pretty much losing his opportunity to be the SNK Representative (thought, to be fair, Terry was always considered SNK's mascot, so at least he lose that fight fair). And the probabilities of a second character from SNK are kind of low. Specially because Terry is already representative for the DLC... Thought, luck maybe be in his favour another day.

Want: 70%

Kyo is one of those characters that I don't actively support but I would find pretty neat to have in Smash Bros thanks to my story with SNK being traced down to the KOF Games, and I always had a liking for Kyo's style of fighting, simple but stylish.

Predictions:

Amaterasu 9.3%

Nominations:

Ryu Hayabusa x5 (I will save the extras for later)

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Kyo Kusanagi

Chance - 2.5% - SNK's characters are much closer nit compared to many other characters, somewhat similar in how Mario, Yoshi, etc. are technically separate series but the same time not. With one in, I don't think there will be another, at least this go around.

Want - 30% - I don't like Fighting Game characters after Ryu's inclusion. I'd like to not have any more.

Nominations

Farmer X5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
More like Ky-NO
Chance: 0.01%
We just got Terry. It'll be a while before we see another SNKharacter. Also, wasn't he one of the guys that got rejected in Terry's trailer?
Want: N/A

Ama prediction: 10%
Noms: Ryu Hayabusa x5

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Kyo(ko?)

Chance: 0%
After Terry's trailer, he has literally zero chance. If he ever gets into Smash, it will be a long time from now, in Smash 7 or something. He'd probably be one of the first choices for another SNK rep (other than maybe a Terry echo, if one could exist) but other than that, he's dead in the water.

Abstain on want.

Ammy prediction: 2.67%

Grass Type Starter x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I don't have anything to say... Well I do, but is probably a bit late. (I may edit this if I return early thought)
I think I'll extend the day for another 12 hours. This day has been surprisingly pretty active (we got a bunch of responses in the last few hours alone) plus I want to get properly setup for Amaterasu's day (picking out the songs + contacting a mod to change the title again).

Troykv

Smash Master
I think I'll extend the day for another 12 hours. This day has been surprisingly pretty active (we got a bunch of responses in the last few hours alone) plus I want to get properly setup for Amaterasu's day (picking out the songs + contacting a mod to change the title again).
Thanks Sari. I already added some scores.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kyo Kusanagi

Chance: 0.5%
I say no way will he happen at least for the initial fighters pass as we just had Terry and the introduction to SNK as a company in Smash so I don't think they'll double dip within the same fighters pass but especially right after the other. They're both fighting game characters, They're both from the same company and if Kyo got in he would be right after Terry I don't think they would do that as it would just be too similar and too soon after another.

Plus I think they would go for different SNK characters before Kyo like Nakoruru and Geese as at least for the latter he's already appeared and crossed over with other fighting game franchises and within the same company that helps make Smash no less so there's already a precedent but I could be wrong.

Otherwise I don't see why they wouldn't go for a pre-existing company within the post-FP DLC like they did with Atlus/Sega and Square-Enix they could possibly do it again for FP2/Additional DLC.

Want: 5%
I don't really have a huge history with the character nor do I really find Fighting games to be super interesting (A we're excluding Smash in this and B from a player side not a tournament viewing side) but I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to him joining as long as he has a cool moveset and unique charm that he brings along.

Nominations: Concept: First Parties after the Fighters Pass x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Day over.

Rate Amaterasu from Okami.

Predict Zhao Yun from Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors.

Day will end at 10:00 pm EST on Monday since I gave Kyo extra time and I want to return the schedule back to normal.

----------

Here are some songs to get into the Okami mood:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Here are some songs to get into the Okami mood:

I'm just gonna add to this.

Now, as for my rating:

Ah, Okami Amaterasu, origin of all that is good, and mother to us all. . .

Chance: 60%
. . .Alright, I'll freely admit, I'm heavily biased in her favour on this. But, still - with the announcement of more DLC beyond the Fighter's Pass coming, and not even Fighter Pass character #5 being revealed yet, I feel her chances aren't too bad. I'm rather certain that we're gonna see a new Capcom character at some point or another, and for that, I think her chances are better than people give her credit for. Her main competion is either a Resident Evil character or Phoenix Wright. The latter I could easily also see happening, but the former is somewhat overrated, I feel. I don't know, I'm just having a very hard time seeing a playable character from a horror franchise making it into Smash. As for Okami itself, it's a cult classic. Sure, it didn't sell well in its original PS2 release, but since then, it has made its way to the Wii, PS3, PC, PS4, XBone, and of course Switch - it honestly wouldn't be too farfetched to call it Capcom's Skyrim in terms of rereleases. Amaterasu herself is also a very iconic character, with tons of moveset potential, and several niches that aren't really covered by Smash at the current time. Non-human, female and fully quadruped is just something that really stands out in the roster.

Want: 100%
I mean, there's a reason why I pushed for her to be rated. Okami is one of my favourite games of all time, and the thought of Amaterasu making it into Smash is something that I've wanted since back in Brawl, where I even tried to convince some modders to make a model and moveset for her based on Ivysaur. She'd be one of the very few characters that'd be able to convince me to buy the entire Fighter Pass if she somehow ended up being FP5, and the onyl third-party character left that I absolutely want (outside of maybe Phoenix).

Predicting Zhao Yun to get around 12.75%.

Nominating Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5.

SKX31

Smash Master
Instant elemental attacks, just add paintbrush! (Amaterasu)

Chance: 3 %

Really, Amy feels kind of drowned out by the mere fact that Capcom still has tons of franchises left to add. Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are the two frontrunners with Phoenix Wright not far behind those two (UMVC3 really helped his case by building a viable fighter moveset on a complete non-fighter). Even beyond those Amaterasu faces competition from a littany of Capcom franchises: Darkstalkers, G&G, Strider etc. Capcom managed to make four crossover games with Marvel (and lots with other companies) because they have loads of IP, if not one of the biggest collections outside of the Big N.

That said though, Amaterasu does have some positives going for her. A very unique quadrapedal mage essentially, she's got a lot of options both close-range and zoning tools to build an interesting moveset off of. Okami's been the subject of crossovers and promotions in the past, with Amaterasu appearing in Dota 2 as an exclusive time limited courier (as promotion for Okami HD on Steam). And she's also very easy to adapt to Smash visually.

As usual I'd say she's more likely as a Smash 6 character, but won't completely discount her for Ultimate.

Want: 55 %

I'm certainly in favor of her. MvC3 is the primary reason why (she looked like an incredibly fun character there), TBH. But her own home game also has legs as
Calamitas Calamitas detailed.

Noms: Concept: Valve rep x5

Predictions: Zhao Yun 11 %

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Amaterasu (Okami)

Chance: 25%
I absolutely loved Okami and not only does her aesthetic perfectly fits in Smash, her movepool screams fun moveset potential. History with Nintendo. HD version released on Switch. Quite popular. Featured in crossovers. Arguably the better Clover rep over Viewtiful Joe. Represents the Japanese folklore too. Many reasons to like her, really.

The major downside is her icon status. Is she really iconic enough and are her games big enough to warrant being added before other Capcom names? Names like Dante, Phoenix Wright, any Resident Evil rep (Jill Valentine, Chris Redfield, Leon Kennedy, Albert Wesker, Nemesis...).
Then you also have Darkstalkers which Capcom likes putting a character of in their games (usually Morrigan or Felicia).

There are other titles too like Breath of Fire, Ghost'n'Goblins, Sengoku Basara or Strider... though:
- both BoF staples Ryu and Nina are different every game (and Ryu shares his name with SF Ryu) and the series is on hiatus with only a disappointing mobile game (which shut down) since the last 16 years
- Arthur is a very long shot
- Sengoku Basara has to fight with Samurai Warriors for a sengoku-era rep
- Hiryu has to fight other ninjas like Ryu Hayabusa.

And now I've realised Hiryu would also be a great addition to discuss... If you've no idea who to nominate, feel free to vote for him.

Want: 100%
ALL OF MY YES!! I don't need to say more here. I absolutely loved playing Okami, I completed it 100% and to me easily surpassed the Zelda games up until then with how fun controlling Ammy was. The freedom of movement, interacting so much with the environment, the unique art style, the amazing soundtrack... it all captivated me.

Predictions: Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) - 7%
I'm not sure he should be the Dynasty Warriors rep. Popular sure, but not as popular as Lu Bu AFAIK and he's in a faction, unlike Lu Bu the revolving wild card.

Nominations: Riesz x5

PS: I was going to berate Sari for only giving us 3 tracks of the amazing Okami OST but Calamitas came to the rescue! Our saviour! Writing this last line as the last song is ending. God it'd been too long since I'd listened to them. Brb, I have some listening to do now.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The best doggo

Chance: 20%
Amaterasu, like Gene, has quite the competition that frankly I don't see her getting in over. Phoenix Wright is more iconic and demanded, and while RE might not be as loud with support now, its impact is not to be underestimated. And when DMC and MH join the fray, this wolf sadly ends up at the back of the pack. I'm not even sure she could beat out fellow Clover rep Viewtiful Joe. But, you never know, she isn't really a never ever character, just unlikely for now.

Want: 80%
Okami is a masterpiece and the world deserves more of it. Ammy would bring a very interesting moveset that I'm curious as to how Sakurai would make it. But I'm an Ace Attorney fan before anything, and I also love RE and DMC, so I'm not exactly rooting for her that much.

We can't go wrong with Capcom though.

Noms: Prince of Persia x5
Zhao Yun prediction: 2.31%

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Ammy

Chance 30 - I really think we're getting a Capcom rep at some point. That alone helps Ammy's chances. I don't think she'll be the pick though. Her competition is really strong and I'm not sure she can overcome Phoenix Wright, a possible RE rep, and possibly a DMC rep if nobody from Capcom is picked for the pass. That's really tough competition and I'm not sure Ammy can overcome that.

Want 20 - No connection to the character but I really like the art style. There are a lot of other Capcom reps I'd rather have first too

Prediction Zhao - 6.21

Noms:
League of Legends Rep x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Amaterasu
Chance: 5%
Amaterasu's biggest issue is her competition. Resident Evil and Devil May Cry are both more popular and Phoenix Wright is more requested. That leaves her at 4th place on the list, and while she still could be picked, I don't find it likely. I also don't know if a character that doesn't stand up works for smash. We all know of how big a struggle Ridley was over the years due to his size. Would there be a lot of work done to ensure that she works properly? If so I think she's dead in the water, it might be too much work for a DLC character

Want: 15%
Amaterasu looks cool and would probably be really fun to play, but there are other Capcom characters I'd rather have instead of her.

Prediction: Zhao 2.25%

Noms: League of Legends Rep x5

Edit: Forgot Duck Hunt and Ivysaur existed. Ignore the part about non standing characters

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
My dumb self forgot to nominate or predict yesterday. Dangit.

Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x143
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x140
Blaze the Cat x130
Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x105
Concept: Valve rep x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Boss: Kracko x95
Prince of Persia x95
Concept: Any grass-type starter x86
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x80
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x80
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x80
Proto Man x75
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Sol Badguy x65
Concept: League of Legends rep x65
Riesz (Mana) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
Thrall (Warcraft) x50
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x50
[Rerate] Steve x50
[Rerate] Sora x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
Ryo Hazuki x45
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x40
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
[Rerate] Geno x35
Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x30
[Rerate] Dante x27
Akira Howard x25

Under 25

Earthworm Jim x24
[Rerate] Quote x22
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x15
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x10
King Boo x10
Sackboy x10
Francis York Morgan x10
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x7
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Black Shadow x5
Rival Pokémon Trainer x5

9-Volt beats Rundas and ties with Ninten for fourth place. Arle Nadja and Valve rep pop into the top seven, duking it out with Protector for seventh place.

Dante and Akira Howard style out of the under 25 club.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Blaze the Cat x130
Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Prince of Persia x95
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x80
Proto Man x75
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Sol Badguy x65
Riesz (Mana) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Reporter & Wrestler x50
Thrall (Warcraft) x50
[Rerate] Steve x50
[Rerate] Sora x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
Ryo Hazuki x45
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
[Rerate] Geno x35
[Rerate] Dante x27
Akira Howard x25

Under 25

Earthworm Jim x24
[Rerate] Quote x22
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
King Boo x10
Sackboy x10
Francis York Morgan x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Rival Pokémon Trainer x5
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x5

9-Volt beats Rundas and ties with Ninten for fourth place. Arle Nadja and Valve rep pop into the top seven, duking it out with Protector for seventh place.

Didn't I already nominate the "Any new Xenoblade character" concept twice? I think it should be at x10.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain on Amaterasu. I've never played Okami, so I can't comment on her. However, from what I've gathered, she seems to be a pretty likely candidate for another Capcom rep.

Nominations: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Blaze the Cat x130
Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Prince of Persia x95
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x80
Proto Man x75
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Sol Badguy x65
Riesz (Mana) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Reporter & Wrestler x50
Thrall (Warcraft) x50
[Rerate] Steve x50
[Rerate] Sora x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
Ryo Hazuki x45
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
[Rerate] Geno x35
[Rerate] Dante x27
Akira Howard x25

Under 25

Earthworm Jim x24
[Rerate] Quote x22
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
King Boo x10
Sackboy x10
Francis York Morgan x10
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Gordon Freeman x5
Black Shadow x5
Rival Pokémon Trainer x5

Are the ones that reached 50 noms safe from the purge?

I'll post my ratings later.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Okami from Okami
Chance: 2%
While Ammy's chances are certainly looking miles better than Gene's with Okami actually having a future, she still gets overshadowed by competition from other bigger Capcom characters just the same. Resident Evil, Devil may Cry, Ace Attorney and Monster Hunter are all much larger series which could easily take the priority over Okami. I don't think that her series was even a million seller untill the HD ports released not so long ago.

Abstaining on want since I haven't played her game. Yes, I'm the guy who has played God Hand but not Okami.

Zhao: 7.04%
Akira Howard x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Kyo Kusanagi

Chance: 2% - Kyo had a very high chance of inclusion earlier in the year, judging by Nintendo's positive relations with SNK and his iconic status in King of Fighters. However, timing was not on his side, since his main competitor was Terry, who has now gotten the invitation. Furthermore, Terry's stage was shown to have the King of Fighters logo on the floor, and there will likely be other KOF content along with it. While nobody is impossible, this likely implies that Terry is meant to encompass all of SNK. If we do somehow get another SNK rep it'll likely be someone like Nakoruru, since Sakurai would likely want to experiment.

Want: Abstain - I don't have much of an opinion on the character so I can't give an accurate rating.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5

Predictions:
Ameterasu - 16.24%

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Kyo Kusanagi

Chance: 2% - Kyo had a very high chance of inclusion earlier in the year, judging by Nintendo's positive relations with SNK and his iconic status in King of Fighters. However, timing was not on his side, since his main competitor was Terry, who has now gotten the invitation. Furthermore, Terry's stage was shown to have the King of Fighters logo on the floor, and there will likely be other KOF content along with it. While nobody is impossible, this likely implies that Terry is meant to encompass all of SNK. If we do somehow get another SNK rep it'll likely be someone like Nakoruru, since Sakurai would likely want to experiment.

Want: Abstain - I don't have much of an opinion on the character so I can't give an accurate rating.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5

Predictions:
Ameterasu - 16.24%
That day is already over though? It's Amaterasu day now. :mybodyisreggie:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Amaterasu

Okami is a notable popular game that has been in Nintendo consoles before. Before the announcement of Okami coming back to the spot light I would've rated this lower, but since Capcom has future plans for the series it does raise some questions in how they're going to handle Okami. Yet despite that, Amaterasu faces a challenge from other Capcom titles. Okami has been away for some time now and until we see it's revival first-hand I find it hard to see Amaterasu getting over other Capcom characters like Leon Kennedy, Phoenix Wright, Dante, or Monster Hunter. It can definitely happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Want: 55%
Sadly I haven't played Okami yet (which is something I wish to fix in the future). From what I've seen in how Amaterasu plays in MvC 3 I find this character to be very badass and with a cool moveset. I'd be okay with her inclusion, even if there are other Capcom characters I like more.

Prediction: Zhao Yun 3.2%
Nomination: Steve x5

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Amaterasu

Chance: 20%. The main issue is the competition, from other Capcom characters and other video game characters, but she may have a shot at this. Then again, possibilities are more endless then before.

Want: 50%. She would be fun to use and brings in another 4 legged creature to the mix. That is all I'm going to say about this.

Noms: 2 for Rival Pokémon Trainer and 2 for X (Megaman)

D

Deleted member

Amaterasu

Though I've never played it, Okami looks great for a game that came out over 13 years ago, so it's not hard to imagine this game has an alright following. Unlike the last Capcom character we rated, Amaterasu herself appeared on MvC 3, had a PC release quite awhile ago, and even has that 1 lady from the Bethesda conference (who was the best part of the conference btw) talking about a sequel. Clover Studio may be gone, but the future does seem to hold some hope for the Okami series. Unfortunately, Amaterasu herself probably wouldn't be in Smash because of the bigger Capcom characters there are like Leon, Dante, Phoenix Wright, and to an extent Morrigan. Keep in mind that she didn't even appear in other Capcom crossovers after MvC 3 like Project X Zone and MvC:I, so I can't really say Amaterasu's got that big of a chance (though I will say she does have a better chance than Gene).

Want: 30%

Amaterasu seems alright, Okami looks great, and it would be nice to see in Smash before the bigger Capcom names, and that's basically it for me. The reason why my want rating is this low is because she doesn't feel too out there for a Capcom character when compared to Gene, and Okami isn't a Capcom franchise I'm super big into like Dragon's Dogma. She's okay to me; not someone I want but also not someone I'm disinterested in.
---------------------
Predictions:
Zhao Yun - 16%
(just wanna add that I might have a lengthy write up on him depending on which day we rate him)

---------------------

Noms:
Francis York Morgan x5

Last edited by a moderator:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Ameterasu, Goddess of the Sun

Chance: 10% - Okami is a relatively popular game with a very cool inspiration, art style, and very unique gameplay. While not mentioned as often as other Capcom contenders, Ameterasu is still a strong candidate in her own right, and with a sequel hinted at recently, relevance could come back to her side. She has a lot she could pull from and I can totally see her being a Sakurai pick. Still, she has a lot of major competition, and potential Capcom reps are very crowded. Phoenix Wright, Resident Evil, etc have made bigger splashes and are likely to be prioritized by Capcom first.

Want: 30% - Now here's a strong female rep that I'd be interested in, and Ameterasu really brings a lot to the table. Another quadrepedal fighter would be awesome to see, and I'd love to see how Sakurai can implement the calligraphy mechanic. While I've never played Okami and my most wanted Capcom is Phoenix Wright, Ameterasu is my second choice and a very welcome addition to the roster.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5

Predictions:
Zhao Yun - 20.71%

Ornl

Smash Ace
Amaterasu
Chance : 10%

If an Assist Trophee would be enough for Monster Hunter, if Resident Evil could face various problems, if Dante would be too similar to Bayonetta (author, universe...), if Phoenix Wright would be better, just IMO, as an Assist Trophee, and other "if"... Okami would be ideal for Ultimate.
With the new Okami sequel, Amaterasu can return to the competition. She's a "minor character", but she embodies several minorities that I think would be missing in the "homogeneity" of all the third-party Fighters.
- She's non-human, unlike 2/3 third-party Fighters, unlike Capcom competitors, but like many Nintendo characters.
- She's a female character, unlike 10.5/12 third-party Fighters, (all except Bayonetta and Kazooie), but like many Nintendo characters.
- She's toon (≠badass or manga), unlike 2/3 third-party Fighters, but as 2/3 of the Nintendo series.

Okami has gotten a good reputation in the long run. Many Famitsu readers love Okami.
- 17th in top 100 best games of all time, 2017
- 4th in a little top-20 Best Action Game of All-Time, 2017
- 5th in top-20 Games Of The Heisei Era, 2019

Want : She seems perfect for my "BINGO" column.
I prefer her to Hunter, Raving Rabbids and Travis Touchdown.
minitheory consoles oct okami.jpg

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Are the ones that reached 50 noms safe from the purge?

I'll post my ratings later.
There is currently no Purge in sight, so no need to worry about that.
Amaterasu

Okami is a notable popular game that has been in Nintendo consoles before. Before the announcement of Okami coming back to the spot light I would've rated this lower, but since Capcom has future plans for the series it does raise some questions in how they're going to handle Okami. Yet despite that, Amaterasu faces a challenge from other Capcom titles. Okami has been away for some time now and until we see it's revival first-hand I find it hard to see Amaterasu getting over other Capcom characters like Leon Kennedy, Phoenix Wright, Dante, or Monster Hunter. It can definitely happen, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Want: 55%
Sadly I haven't played Okami yet (which is something I wish to fix in the future). From what I've seen in how Amaterasu plays in MvC 3 I find this character to be very badass and with a cool moveset. I'd be okay with her inclusion, even if there are other Capcom characters I like more.

Prediction: Zhao Yun 3.2%
Nomination: Steve x5
Sadly there hasn't been any announcements from Capcom regarding an Okami revival. It was Kamiya, who is unaffiliated to Capcom, who did the 'announcement'.

Troykv

Smash Master
Amaterasu, the sun goddess of Okami.

Amaterasu is basically a underdog (heh), people know of her but because of her position as a niche character (thought, a very popular one around the niche options). She has a certainly interesting appeal because of her unusual properties for a fighter because of she being a quadruped, and also a user of a very stylish magic with the pen.

Want: 50%

I lack personal connection with the series other that the music of the final boss xD

Predictions:

Zhao Yun: 9.6%

Nominations:

Arle Nadja x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
The most stylish Doggo

Chance: 38%

This is an interesting character to discuss. Let's break it down.
Points toward her inclusion:
  • Okami is on Wii and Switch and Okamiden was a DS exclusive.
  • Amaterasu and her series have gained a cult following and has been moderately requested to be in Smash.
  • A very distinct and appealing art style, combined with unique moveset potential, would make her stand out from all the other characters.
  • A new game has been teased (but not confirmed).
  • Plenty of spirit, music, and stage picks.
  • Capcom rep, a company who is very open to having their content in the game.
Points against her inclusion:
  • Stiff competition from Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, Dante, and Monster Hunter, with some of these being gaming juggernauts, and Amaterasu is not as requested as some of them.
  • Okami is more of a niche character compared to other Capcom characters, not obscure by any means, but gets overshadowed by the company's juggernauts.
  • Not very relevant compared to, again, Capcom's other franchises. Relevancy is kind of a weak argument at this point thanks to Banjo, but it does still hurt a character's chances. There has not been a brand new Okami game in almost a decade and we still aren't sure a new game is coming out anytime soon. Although Okami has been kept alive by remasters and ports which helps and the game does deserve it.
With all this in mind, I think Amaterasu has a decent shot and she has enough merit to be a part of the biggest crossover of all time. However, her stiff competition from equally, if not, more important and iconic franchises like Resident Evil in particular, hurts her chances quite a bit. It's difficult to give her an exact score between so many arguments for and against her, and we have been blindsided before with Joker and Terry, and I believe she might be another character used to surprise us as well, but I'm confident in my rating. She is likely, but on the lower end of likely.

Want: 70%

I have a confession: I've never played Okami. I swear I will play it one day, I just have a big backlog of games. Anyway, I have seen gameplay footage of Okami and omg, the game is instantly interesting with its art style and combat system. It does definitely seem like a fun game and a great experience. Not to mention, every person I know who has played Okami or Okamiden, enjoyed the game and people speak so passionately about the game and Amaterasu herself. She does seem like a very good choice for DLC and her inclusion in the game would get people more interested in Okami, which it definitely deserves. Just typing this makes me want to get the game. You know what, the game is only $20. I may get it soon.

Noms: Geno x5

Predictions: Zhao Yun - 3%

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Amaterasu

Chance - 7.5% - Okami's been in a bit of a hiatus this time around, although the series is not officially over. While there is some merit to her, simply put there are bigger names than her, even inside Capcom's other characters. While she has a small chance, it's not enough to really see it being very likely at all.

Want - 75% - Ammy's a cool character. I don't have much attachment to her, but I do think she would at least be interesting if they can make her work. I wouldn't mind seeing her in.

Predictions

Zhao Yun - 1.34% - I guess it's possible?

Nominations

Farmer X4

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Damn, I need to play Okami. Abstain.
Nominations: Blaze x5

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Kyo Kusanagi
Chance 20%:I don't think we would get another snk rep as the closer for for fighters pass but for future dlc he might be a likely pick.
Want 40%:I wouldn't mind Kyo since he would be a fine pick.

Amaterasu
Chance 55%:Amaterasu does have a chance, Okami have been a pretty popular games,
has appeared on a Nintendo system and Amaterasu is a requested character for smash bros but the only problem is that she has competition with other Capcom characters
Want 65%:Amaterasu would be a fun and interesting pick I can imagine the combos and paintbrush can used to it's full potential.
Noms: The Blob X5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Amaterasu

Chance: 25%
I can see it happening, to be honest. Okami is such a wonderful game and it's aesthetics really fits in Smash overall. The only thing that actually hinders her is competition. Amaterasu is from Capcom and as such she has to face stiff competition with it's fellow Capcom brethren such as Dante, Phoenix Wright, Leon and even Viewtiful Joe for the spot. But I can still see Nintendo picking Amaterasu over the aforementioned ones for future DLC.

Want: 75%
I haven't played any Okami games yet and the only reason I know Amaterasu is because of MvC3 and I'm actually liking the character. She would definitely be a unique character in Smash and while she may not be my most wanted character, I'm all in for an Okami content in Smash.

Prediction:
Zhao Yun - 7.18%

Nomination:
Ryo Hazuki x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Amaterasu

She's a literal darkhorse character. Her two games flopped unfortunately and it doesn't help she's owned by Capcom who have Resident Evil, Dante, and Phoenix Wright as more likely candidates.

Want: 50%

She's be interesting. She'd definitely be a different take for a Capcom rep for sure.

Zhao Yun Prediction: 4.56%

Nominate Sol Badguy x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Ammy

Chance 4%
Want 5%
I've actually played a bit of Okami, but I seriously struggled to stay with it. Just drags too much for my liking. And while the game certainly has a following, it's no where near on the level of other third party characters, except maybe Bayonetta, but even that one I have doubts.

Nominate no more stages after the pass x5

Prediction next guy 2.1%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Amaterasu

Chance: 10%
The Okami series is incredibly beloved and Okamiden was even a DS exclusive. The main thing holding Amaterasu back is that she has a ton of competition in the form of other more popular Capcom characters like Phoenix Wright and a RE character.

Want: Abstain
I tried playing Okami at a friends house years ago but it had one of the longest unskippable intros ever. I know the game gets better after that but I never really played that much of it so I won't comment.

Zhao Yun chance prediction: 5.63%

Nominations:
Quote x5

Top Bottom