• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Satisfaction with Terry: 100%
Sakurai's love for SNK really shined throughout this presentation - from all the minute details of Terry's moveset and the legacy he has with both Fatal Fury and The King of Fighters, the cameos (except Mai) and the extremely fun and unique stage gimmick on King of Fighters Stadium... You can tell that this company has been such a major influence on Sakurai and he's done an amazing job at honouring them with all the content provided in Ultimate.

Terry is so much fun to play, even if he's far from the conventional Smash characters. Command specials and unique Forward and Backward specials, Super Special Moves in Power Geyser and Buster Wolf... Yep. Easily one of the most fun newcomers introduced in Ultimate.

Plank08

Smash Lord
Terry Satisfaction:80%

While I’ve never played Fatal fury, his moveset is too awesome and fun to play and ESPECIALLY to watch, his stage is genius, and The music has Quantity and Quality, this guys pretty awesome and I’m happy for Sakurai.

Sackboy x 5

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
Terry Satisfaction: 100%
Seeing the Hungry Wolf in Smash made me remember the good times I had playing the KoF games back in the day. Fun to play as, the stage is awesome, and the remix of "Let's Go to Seoul" is so invigorating that it makes me want to punch someone with all the good intentions in the world! Working on a Terry cosplay right now ever since he was revealed; don't have the hair, but I got the build and the spirit and I think the man would be OK with that.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Question, when is the next day? I only ask as it has been a little bit with trickling activity.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Terry Bogard :ult_terry:
Satisfaction: 90%

Terry is a ton of fun to play, and surprisingly not very hard to pick up. The stage is cool and he came with 50 tracks, which is really cool, but also kind of frustrating when the other characters got 8-11 tracks at most, with some big ones missing. Thankfully no characters really got massacred from the Mii costume showcase. The only true downside is Mai being unable to show up as a cameo thanks to CERO, something that can be fixed with minor design changes. It's kind of stupid since Bayonetta of all characters is in this game. Sakurai also seems frustrated because he had the same problem with Palutena back in Smash 4. Back on track, Terry is a lot of fun, seems viable for competitive, and he's going on my list of secondaries. Hoping for Crash at VGA.

Already predicted Lara Croft last rating.

Untitled Goose x5

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction: 80%
The stage is awesome, can be a bit hard to find yourself sometimes if you play 8 man on it though. As for Terry himself, he's fun to play, but I always kill myself thinking his forward/down be will snap me to the ledge. They don't.

Noms: League of Legends rep x5

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Terry Satisfaction: 100%

I love the amount of content he got.
The stage is definitely in my top 3 favorites.
The character is a lot of fun to use, and the moves are super satisfying to land.
The songs are an absolute banger.

This said... I suck at this character.
I love fighting games, and KOF is one of my favorites (especially the later ones).
But I’m a d-pad person. Inputs just don’t translate well to me on a joystick. Which is why it’s particularly nerve wracking when I’m off stage and I want to get back with a bit more power to engage the opponent, and I mess the input and end up doing a reverse power dive. (Don’t ask me how this also happens to me with the soft versions of his specials too).

I expected to make him my 3rd best character at least, but I don’t see myself having him in my top 5.
But for casual matches, I’m having a blast!
I’m still going to pour some time on Terry to see if I get the right feel for him.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Terry Satisfaction - 35% - Eh. Terry's not for me.

Admittedly, I've disliked Ryu's inclusion because of the fighting game inputs; I've always like Smash for how approachable it can be. Ryu's inclusion goes against that, and Terry's an even more extreme version of that. I'm someone who struggles with recovering with the likes of Greninja and Pikachu, and you expect me to do a double QCF? I couldn't do a single QCF consistently when playing Kirby games, so why should I bother?

Honestly, his kit feels kinda overloaded... Give it enough time, and I'm afraid we'll get a For Bayo on our hands. I don't think that's a good idea...

I can appreciate the passion he has, but as of now, he's alongside Joker in my "do not buy" pile.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Satisfaction: 95%

My only complaints are:
-No Mai anything, not even a spirit (I understand the reason, but still)
-No Garou alt or music
-Surprisingly small Spirit Board

On another note, I find it hilarious how the 50 songs were just a draft, and SNK was just like "eh, just use 'em all." Makes me wonder if Sakurai had more songs planned for :ultjoker::ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:, in which case wouldn't surprise me.

Noms: Claude von Riegan x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Kratos
3.64% Chance, 48.18% Want
Winner of predictions was Sari Sari with 3.35%

Micaiah
1.85% Chance, 36.96% Want
Winner of predictions was DaUsername DaUsername with a precise 2.00%
Last time we rated her she got 2.77% Chance and 39.08% Want. It's likely that time and the release - and acclaim, and success, and popularity - of Three Houses led to those decreases, but she held on pretty well in Want.

Captain Rainbow
0.29% Chance, 22.08% Want
Winner of predictions was NintenRob NintenRob with a near-perfect 0.30%

Extra nominations

Artix Artix 15
Awakining Awakining 5
DaUsername DaUsername 52
Delzethin Delzethin 5
NintenRob NintenRob 10
Sari Sari 5
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku 5
Troykv Troykv 15
Ultomato Ultomato 5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Extra nominations? Sweet

I noticed these two concepts are tied

Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x60
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x60

I'd like to split my nominations among both so they're rated at similar time. First parties is something I really want to see rated. Who ever is nominating it, keep up the good work

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok I'm gonna step in and end the day now. I think everyone said what they wanted to say and it's been over 24 hours since the last real rating.

Rate Lara Croft from Tomb Raider.

Predict Concept: Dragalia Lost rep.

----------

Some music to get into the Lara Croft/Tomb Raider mood.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Voluptuous Raider
Chance:
Unknown
Want: 0%
Don't really care much for Tomb Taider. Not even for Lara and her breats.

Dragalia Rep
Chance:
Unknown
Want: 100%

Yes, I'd love someone like Euden as a future newcomer. Remixing FEH's music was a sign that Sakurai's okay with mobile game content in Smash.

Noms: Claude von Riegan (alone) x5

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Lara Croft:

Chance: 15% - Tomb Raider is an iconic franchise that has spawned much spinoff material, and Lara herself was a major gaming icon during the 90's. And while she's seen a small decline in the 2000's, her franchise's legacy continues and remains a major event in gaming history. Furthermore, she has still been steadily recieving games, and just had a major release last year, so relevance is not an issue either. She's even had her fair share of games in Nintendo systems, though most releases tend to stick with the Sony Consoles and PC. Most importantly, while she is a western character, she is owned by Square Enix's European branch, and obviously SE is a company Nintendo has worked with frequently. So negotiating for her would be pretty easy, and she'd probably be able to get more music due to being an acquired franchise that doesn't apply to Square's music licensing policy (where composers keep the rights to the music). Overall I think she has a solid chance, and would be an interesting dark horse pick!

Want: 10% - While I have little to no experience with the Tomb Raider franchise, I think Sakurai could come up with a cool moveset based around grapples and bows. Plus more western characters are always cool to see! Though she's also in inter-company and inter-branch competition in Square Enix Eidos with Gex, one of my top 3rd party characters. Still, either way I think she'd be a cool addition!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5

Predictions:
Dragalia Lost Rep - 30.82%

SKX31

Smash Master
The video game character who made a Hollywood star (Lara Croft):

Chance: 40 %

I'mma be bullish on her chances honestly. First of all, Lara's in a very special position. She's one of the few video game characters who your Average Joes and Janes are aware of. Sure, it's mostly due to the Angelina Jolie movies (particularily the first one), but Lara's never really left the spotlight. From her PS1 days, via the doldrums of the 2000s, to now with the reboot trilogy. Tomb Raider's been one of those franchises which have kept on chugging along (likely because S-E bought out Eidos years ago).

Out of the designs, I feel Reboot Lara's more probable since she fills an interesting niché (archery), but I could see Classic Lara too. Either way, Sakurai might be interested in Lara since she is the most prominent Indiana Jones-esque character, another niché that's not been filled and could help with her moveset. She doesn't have to rely on guns, is what I'm saying. She also doesn't have to rely on Jolie (whose career took off because of the first TR movie), but the character's still forever connected to the actress - especially amongst your Average Joes / Janes. Tomb Raider does decently-to-pretty-well in Japan as well, so I don't see Japan as being an obstacle.

Her biggest obstacles are the competiton. She shares the same house as 2B, Sora, Geno etc. That said, she has distinct advantages that shouldn't be ignored.

Want: 80 %

My high want score come primarily from her moveset potential, but she'd also provide quite a bit of potential with the stage and the music. If Sakurai ever gets sick of mansions (whether it's Luigi's or RE's), her stage could easily take from any of her prominent games.

Predictions: Dragalia Lost: 10 % during Ultimate's DLC, 40 % with Smash 6. Treat it as 10 %.

Noms: Concept: Valve rep x5

Ornl

Smash Ace
Lara Croft
Chance
: 5%

Lara Croft is probably the "ultimate" female icon of the video game in the West. She is the girl. She became a Japanese gaijin and became somewhat integrated. (-> According to Google Trends about western series in Japan, Tomb Raider is at the same level of popularity as Halo, DOOM and Crash Bandicoot, and is more popular than Shantae / Rayman / Shovel Knight / Banjo-Kazooie who appear in Ultimate). But her link with Japan/Nintendo/Sakurai or Smash Bros is relatively unclear. Moreover, she's at Squenix, there are already 2 Squenix DLC since Sm4sh, and the temples of Geno and Sora would be angry.

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Lara Croft

Chance: 5%
I'm not too sure about her chances. I think Nintendo will still prefer going for characters who originated in japanese studios, and I don't think she had much of an impact in Japan either. Also, smash is for good boys and girls apparently, but we have Bayo and ZSS has an alt outfit that is kinda the same so...?

Anyway, my main concern about Lara Croft is that she doesn't have a skillset that translates well into Smash. Sakurai said it, what matters the most is how fun a character will be. And with Lara Croft, I just don't see it. She's all about guns, exploration, puzzles, etc. Most of what makes her games don't apply in Smash, as for guns and stuff there are other candidates that can do the same but better - Dante, any Resident Evil rep, Doomslayer, Master Chief...

In light of this, I can't give her a good rating at all. Even if I liked player Tomb Raider back in the day.

Want: 20%
I don't see any appeal to Lara Croft in Smash, but I also don't dislike her. There's just so so sooo much better and fitting to be found though that I can't really care much about her yet. Maybe that'd change if she were announced and found out her kit is good, but until then, nope.

Prediction: Dragalia Lost rep - 8.5%
I personally don't see it at all, but some seem to think it could be possible - more than I once believed.

Nominations: Riesz x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think if someone unironically refers to her as Laura Croft today without correcting it, we should just ignore their ratings

Chance: 20%
I think Lara is one of the most underrated characters in Smash speculation as she is one of the faces of the PS1 era. She is incredibly iconic to the point where she was used in mainstream commercials and even had a few movies on her where she was played by Angelina Jolie (the first film actually helped kickstart her career). She is a lot like Terry was prior to the SNK leak in that they don't get talked about a lot but in retrospect their inclusion makes sense. Funny enough, both Tomb Raider and SNK went downhill in the 2000's but got revived within the last decade. Lara's reboot series has also been doing good for the most part so I think it's safe to say that she is still relevant. Her main issue is that she is owned by Square Enix so they might add another character from the company instead.

Also while some might say that Sakurai's comments on Mai being too sexual would hurt Lara's chance, I don't think it would. Her new design seems tame enough when compared to characters like Bayonetta and even her old design could probably work since we have the ZSS alt with her shorts. I think the ideal Smash look for Lara would be something like this where it's sort of a mix between her classic and new design.

Want: Abstain
I actually did try to get into the Tomb Raider series a while back, but the Steam ports of the original games kept crashing so I got a refund on them. I won't give an exact want rating though honestly I'd be pretty down for her inclusion. I'd love to see an artifact hunting type of character in Smash one.

Dragalia Lost rep chance prediction: 7.52% (I just don't see it happening)

Nominations:
Quote x10 (using my extra 5 noms)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Angelina or Alicia?

Chance: 25%
Lara Croft is an absolute massive icon and this community not really giving her much of a time of day is a symptom of all the problems in the Smash speculation scene (Japanese favoritism and complete ignorance about anything non-Nintendo). She's the most famous lady in gaming, surpassing even Samus and Chun-Li. Many of her games are absolute classics. She has Nintendo presence, her more cartoony/exaggerated combat fits perfectly. People that don't know anything about gaming know about her. What else do you want? Honestly, it taking her this long to be rated is absurd, and if Smash never gets her I'd consider that a failure for Sakurai.

The thing is, she's Square Enix, which means the competition is incredibly strong. Sora would be just as big a reveal, while Geno has the Smash fandom behind him. And maybe being Western created works against her, who knows.

Want: 90%
I love the Tomb Raider games. I lean more towards the classic titles (even some of the more mediocre ones), but the new ones have my respect because they've done some amazing things storytelling-wise and they're an example of how to do a reboot. Lara belongs in Smash, plain and simple.

Noms: first parties x5
Dragalia Lost prediction: 10.1%

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lara Croft from Uncharted

Chance: 30%

It's hard for me to say how likely Lara is for Smash. Tomb Raider is owned by Square Enix after taking over Eidos Interactive over a decade ago, and the modern games have done pretty well even though SE were apparently disappointed in Tomb Raider 2013 not reaching sales goals despite selling over 3.4 million copies at the time. We could even talk about how it's apparently the 3rd biggest franchise they own, and since their 2 biggest franchises are currently in Smash, who's to say they won't go for the next biggest franchise as well? Square Enix may have 2 characters currently in Smash, but with more DLC characters confirmed to be in development, it's possible we could see a character from Square Enix who didn't originate from either Squaresoft or Enix pre-merger.

I don't really know what's going against her for me to rate this a bit low though. I don't think she's the kind of character Sakurai would dismiss for not coming up with a fun moveset for her nor is she really the kind of character that goes over the CERO rating border. We could argue competition within other SE franchises, but she seems to be the only character viable from Square Enix to put in Smash since Sora is a Disney owned character, Crono's series is dead and doesn't seem to hold any value to Square Enix aside from rereleases, and Geno is just crying in the corner about never going to have his starring moment in Smash since his only hope is pure fan demand. 2B is probably the strongest contender against Lara, but she's very debatable about whether if CERO would be okay with it or not. While everything should probably be going in her favor, I don't feel confident in seeing her in Smash. Maybe it just has to do with Square Enix again and how they don't always own certain rights within their own IPs like music or artwork, but even then, I don't think her chances are a matter of when and not if.

Want: 35%

She's okay. Though I've never played the original games before Square Enix acquired the franchise, I did play Tomb Raider 2013 awhile ago and thought it was a pretty good game. Did that game made me want Lara in Smash? Not really. I don't really have any sort of feelings for the franchise that would make me go crazy to see Lara in Smash someday, but I can at least understand why she was added and would probably prefer her as the 3rd Square Enix character added than a lot of other characters *cough* like Geno *cough*. Whatever her potential moveset could look like, I just hope she'd be fun to play as.

--------------------
Predictions:
Dragalia Lost rep - 10.43%

--------------------

Noms:
Francis York Morgan x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 341: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep
Day 342: Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)
Day 343: Concept: League of Legends rep
Day 344: Blaze the Cat (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Day 345: Arle Nadja (Madō Monogatari/Puyo Puyo)
Day 346: Concept: Valve rep
Day 347: Prince of Persia (Prince of Persia)

At the last minute, League of Legends rep overtook Blaze the Cat, but it was inevitable at the speed it was gaining nominations.

Your new top seven consists of Ninten, 9-Volt, Rundas, Dovahkiin, The Horrible Goose, Protector, and Aloy.

Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x110
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x110
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
Aloy x100

100 - 51

Boss: Kracko x97
Riesz (Mana) x95
Concept: Any grass-type starter x91
Frogger x85
Glover x85
[Rerate] Steve x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x80
Sol Badguy x80
Proto Man x75
Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x75
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x70
[Rerate] Geno x70
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Ryo Hazuki x65
Thrall (Warcraft) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x53
[Rerate] Quote x52
[Rerate] Sora x51

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
Francis York Morgan x45
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
Sackboy x33
[Rerate] Dante x32
Akira Howard x30
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x28
Earthworm Jim x26

Under 25

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x18
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
King Boo x13
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x10
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x10
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x10
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
Rival Pokémon Trainer x7
Meowth x7
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare x5
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x5
Freddy Fazbear x2

Concept: Any new Xenoblade character crosses 25 noms.

Today's newcomers are Nightmare, and a rerate of Claude von Riegan, each with 5 noms.

toonito toonito Which Nightmare are you referring to?

toonito

Smash Ace
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

Day 341: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep
Day 342: Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons)
Day 343: Concept: League of Legends rep
Day 344: Blaze the Cat (Sonic the Hedgehog)
Day 345: Arle Nadja (Madō Monogatari/Puyo Puyo)
Day 346: Concept: Valve rep
Day 347: Prince of Persia (Prince of Persia)

At the last minute, League of Legends rep overtook Blaze the Cat, but it was inevitable at the speed it was gaining nominations.

Your new top seven consists of Ninten, 9-Volt, Rundas, Dovahkiin, The Horrible Goose, Protector, and Aloy.

Ninten x120
9-Volt x120
Rundas x115
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x110
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x110
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
Aloy x100

100 - 51

Boss: Kracko x97
Riesz (Mana) x95
Concept: Any grass-type starter x91
Frogger x85
Glover x85
[Rerate] Steve x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x80
Sol Badguy x80
Proto Man x75
Concept: First-parties after the Fighter Pass x75
[Rerate] Ryu Hayabusa x70
[Rerate] Geno x70
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x65
Ryo Hazuki x65
Thrall (Warcraft) x60
Papyrus x56
Decidueye x53
[Rerate] Quote x52
[Rerate] Sora x51

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
[Rerate] Bandana Dee x45
Francis York Morgan x45
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x35
[Rerate] Heihachi x35
Sackboy x33
[Rerate] Dante x32
Akira Howard x30
Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x28
Earthworm Jim x26

Under 25

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x18
The Blob (De Blob) x15
[Rerate] Rayman x15
King Boo x13
Chun-Li x11
Giygas x10
[Rerate] Lloyd Irving x10
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x10
[Rerate] Doomguy x10
[Rerate] Shadow the Hedgehog x10
Unsafe Wiimote Guy x10
Urbosa x9
[Rerate] Monokuma x9
Rival Pokémon Trainer x7
Meowth x7
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
Gordon Freeman x5
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x5
Black Shadow x5
Asha (Wonder Boy) x5
Nightmare x5
[Rerate] Claude von Riegan x5
Freddy Fazbear x2

Concept: Any new Xenoblade character crosses 25 noms.

Today's newcomers are Nightmare, and a rerate of Claude von Riegan, each with 5 noms.

toonito toonito Which Nightmare are you referring to?
Nightmare from Soul Calibur.

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
Lara:
I think she's being slept on a little bit. Lara is a pretty iconic character and one of the earliest female protagonists in gaming. The only thing missing is the demand for her. Oh, and an owner that isn't harder to work with than the people suing each other, that's a problem too. But yeah, if Nintendo would want her for Smash, I don't think it would be too surprising. I doubt she'll be fighter's pass #5, but maybe afterwards.

Want: 60%

Noms:
Frogger x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Lara Croft

Chance 30 - One of the most iconic figures in gaming and that alone gives her a chance. Would have her even higher if she wasn't from Square, who seems like a bundle of joy to work with. There's also a lot of competition for the next SE spot(assuming we get one) from Geno, who is probably the most requested character left, and Sora who is also very iconic and wanted. I still think Geno is likely to end up in the game, which hurts Lara's chances a lot more than if she was from a different company

Want 100 - Would lose my **** over this. Always thought it was weird a gaming character as big as she is never got as much buzz for Smash.

Noms
Unsafe Wiimote guy x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstain on Lara Croft. I've never played Tomb Raider, so I don't know much about her. Still, she IS something of an icon, at least in the west.

Nominations: Boss: Kracko x3, Concept: Any new Xenoblade character x2

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Lara Croft
Chance: 15%
Lara's pretty iconic and Tomb Raider is certainly a noteworthy series but I think competition might be a bit of a hurdle for her. There are atill multiple Square owned character who I see as far more requested, tho those also each have their own problems. Regardless, if Sakurai/Nintendo want to add more fanpleasers there are probably bigger fish to fry. I also don't think her competition is limited to just Square characters, as I think a RE rep would fill a similiar niche and are far likelier imo.

Want: 5%
I've never played a Tomb Raider game and Lara as a character sounds a bit bland to me. I'd simply prefer a RE rep, mainly Leon.

Dragalia Lost: 17.37%
Hollow Knight Mii costume x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Lara Croft
...I'm gonna be the odd one out here again, huh?

Look, I get it, Lara is iconic. She's a PS1-era mascot and one of the first big female protagonists in gaming. She's a big part of history, whether you play her games or not. Thing is... right now, I think her chances are being overblown and I can see way more obstacles in her way than advantages.

Let's start by comparing her to Crash, the other, more frequently mentioned PS1-era icon. Crash recently had a very successful revival after a 9-year hiatus that already saw two remakes (four if you count each game in the N. Sane Trilogy separately) and there are whispers of a completely new game in the distance.

Compared to that, Lara's newer games had... a bit of a lukewarm reception. She's still enjoying moderate success, but... it's a far cry from what she once was, methinks.

Second: she now belongs to Square Enix... meaning she's not just a western character, she's a japanese-owned western character. Specifically, from a company that has a lot of titles with big amounts of clout, like Kingdom Hearts and Nier Automata, among others. She even faces competition from a fan-favorite of 20 years in Geno. Yeah... I really don't see Lara being pushed by Square or by Sakurai right now... which is a bit sad for an icon, really.

Which brings me to my last point: fan demand. Even among casual circles, I rarely see any demand for Lara. Most of it comes from people who have played her old games rather than the new ones. So even the one point she could use in her advantage simply isn't there. Compare that to how #Sora4Smash created a name for itself after Cloud's reveal and the aforementioned Geno demand... in my eyes, at least, it doesn't seem like enough. Don't get me wrong, 15% is still a lot more than several other characters, but... I just don't see it right now.

Want: 40%
I'm kinda neutral on her. My reaction to Lara would be similar to Hero's in that it'd be more like "oh, cool, glad that part of video game history is in Smash now" rather than a big hype reaction. Still, I'm not opposed to it, even if there are several other Square characters I'd want more.

Predictions
Dragalia Lost rep: 12.5%

Nominations
[Rerate] Sora x 5

Troykv

Smash Master
Lara Croft

Lara Croft is a weird case, where I can see she suffers a bit of the syndrome the most realistic characters usually have, problems to develop a compeling moveset that isn't too straighforward or bland. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have problems see it. In the other Lara herself is extremely popular, probably the first Female Videogame character that comes to mind in non-Nintendo focused communities and has got many popular games, though the latter ones seems to don't have the same hype... Which are the sells BTW?.

Also, she technically represents Square Enix... which already puts her in a rough spot for several reasons (the companies is associated with many characters that had loud support for many years, and SE is kind of stingy).

Want: 50%

I don't have any kind of relationship with Tomb Raider outside of pop culture, but I don't think there is a problem with Lara being in Smash.

Predictions:

Dragalia Lost Rep, which is other way of saying, "the Prince (Dragalia Lost)": 13.2%

Nominations:

Ryu Hayabusa x5

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Mine Croft

Chance: 10% for the pass, 55% overall. The big jump is mostly because Lara Croft has a lot, and I mean a whole, genuine lot of accolades. She had one of the less unsuccessful movies (before Pokémon and Angry Birds decided to one up her), her games sell like hotcakes, and perhaps most importantly is straight up iconic with a capital I, in every sense of the word. I'm not sure what makes her stand out very well moveset wise, but this is one character I believe has the cred to warrant her way into the fray.

Want: Hm... 60%, but mostly for solidarity reasons. I just want a buddy of mine to be happy and get their most wanted character. Personally, I gave the PS3 one a shot and didn't really like it very much. Oh well.

Lloyd Irving x 5. Sunflower I'll return to tomorrow. I don't remember how long ago the last time we did an Echo Fighter vote was, but... nah. Dragalia Lost rep has a very low chance of making the pass, a sizeable but not that significant shot of showing up post pass, and is all but assured for the next game. I'd say.. 17.28%.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Lara Croft

Chance: 15%. She is quite iconic and she may have a chance. Thing is, we already have 2 Square Enix reps, but a 3rd would not hurt, as long as they are not poorly represented.

Want: 75%. She would be fun to play as, with deadly combos and a temple as a stage, which would be fun to play on. It would be a good choice to include her, given how iconic she is.

Noms: 2 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon becomes playable and 3 for Meowth

Prediction: Dragalia Lost Rep: 10%

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Lara
Chance:0%: Yeah, I am positive this isn't happening. We have Geno, Sora, and 2B, and that's not even getting into another FF rep. Just isn't happening IMO.
Want:50%: She could be interesting. But honestly I don't really care about her inclusion.
S
Nominations: Shadow x5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Laura Croft....just kidding

Chance: 41%

Lara Croft is an icon and one of the biggest and most recognizable female characters in gaming. She has some history with Nintendo and she has good moveset potential with a variety of guns, weapons, and items, including pistols, bows, grappling hook, explosives, grenade launchers, and even some mythical weapons that I won't mention because they are possible spoilers.

The problem is, she is owned by Square Enix, and I see Geno and Sora coming first, due to bigger fan demand. She could be a left-field pick and I do feel that could happen. Fans have been rallying for another female character and she or another character like Jill Valentine could fill that spot. I'm pretty sure we won't be getting more than 2 more Square characters. Normally Lara should have a high chance with Geno being a long-lost fan requested character and Sora being owned by Disney, but with Sakurai wanting to go towards fan-demand, I'm skeptical if she will be able to beat them. I was tempted to give her 50%, but I think Geno and Sora are more likely.

Want: 65%

Not the biggest Tomb Raider fan, but I do enjoy the games and I imagine a stage located on a mountain with boulders falling down that can hurt you and mercenaries trying throwing things like molotovs at the characters. Add in a stormy atmosphere and I think that would be a great stage that would represent the deadly nature of Tomb Raider very nicely. And maybe add in a T-Rex. Overall, Lara would be cool and would add another female to the roster. I think she deserves it and I think people are sleeping on her chances way too much.

Predictions: Dragalia Lost Rep - 15.88%

Noms: Geno x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Lara Croft

She's certainly an iconic Video Game character. And although she's a western character, she does have an advantage in that she's owned by a Japanese company now, so negogiations can go more smoothly for Sakurai. Although he probably wants to meet with the creators of Tomb Raider since he's done that with the 3rd party characters. A major problem though is Sakurai picking characters from other IPs owned by Square Enix, like 2B for example.

Want: 20%. eEh to be honest, I'm not that much of a fan of the Tomb Raider games. Doesn't really catch my eyes compared to other games with female protagonists.

Dragalia Lost Rep Prediction: 17.44%

Nominate Sol Badguy x5

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Lara Croft
Chance: 55%
She’s iconic and Square is already in the game. I could see her there alongside Cloud, Joker, and Snake as another PlayStation Icon.

Want: 100%
Of course I’d want her, being one of the most famous female game characters of all time. I think she’d be a great fit.

Nominate:
Chun-Li x 5

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Finally, an interesting day.

Lara Croft I feel is somewhat over looked. I don't care much for third parties and have never played Tomb Raider but I do feel she should be playable. We have a lot of third parties now and I feel she's more iconic than over half of them. She's probably the most iconic female protagonist out there. (an honour I wish Samus held but oh well) and by combining the elements of modern classic Croft, you're bound to make something nice using her Climbing Axe, bow and importantly double Pistols.

The question that always comes up to me though, is how big she is in Japan. Which is a bit questionable. But we do get franchises that are bigger in the west, and I wouldn't call it obscure.

But then it comes to question is what we should expect from future dlc. I have my own theories about that, but I doubt Lara is fighter 5. And I question is the rest will follow the same trend.

But overall, I think it's nice. I'll go
25% chance.

Which is kinda high for me, but still I think reasonable

My want? I'll go 40%

I watched the movies, which were enjoyable enough. But I'd still rather focus on Nintendo characters.

Nominate no more stages after the pass x5

Prediction 6.2%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think the notion that people think 2B has a better shot as Lara proves the existence of the Smash bubble beyond any doubt.
Lara Croft
...I'm gonna be the odd one out here again, huh?

Look, I get it, Lara is iconic. She's a PS1-era mascot and one of the first big female protagonists in gaming. She's a big part of history, whether you play her games or not. Thing is... right now, I think her chances are being overblown and I can see way more obstacles in her way than advantages.

Let's start by comparing her to Crash, the other, more frequently mentioned PS1-era icon. Crash recently had a very successful revival after a 9-year hiatus that already saw two remakes (four if you count each game in the N. Sane Trilogy separately) and there are whispers of a completely new game in the distance.

Compared to that, Lara's newer games had... a bit of a lukewarm reception. She's still enjoying moderate success, but... it's a far cry from what she once was, methinks.

Second: she now belongs to Square Enix... meaning she's not just a western character, she's a japanese-owned western character. Specifically, from a company that has a lot of titles with big amounts of clout, like Kingdom Hearts and Nier Automata, among others. She even faces competition from a fan-favorite of 20 years in Geno. Yeah... I really don't see Lara being pushed by Square or by Sakurai right now... which is a bit sad for an icon, really.

Which brings me to my last point: fan demand. Even among casual circles, I rarely see any demand for Lara. Most of it comes from people who have played her old games rather than the new ones. So even the one point she could use in her advantage simply isn't there. Compare that to how #Sora4Smash created a name for itself after Cloud's reveal and the aforementioned Geno demand... in my eyes, at least, it doesn't seem like enough. Don't get me wrong, 15% is still a lot more than several other characters, but... I just don't see it right now.

Want: 40%
I'm kinda neutral on her. My reaction to Lara would be similar to Hero's in that it'd be more like "oh, cool, glad that part of video game history is in Smash now" rather than a big hype reaction. Still, I'm not opposed to it, even if there are several other Square characters I'd want more.

Predictions
Dragalia Lost rep: 12.5%

Nominations
[Rerate] Sora x 5
Her latest games had massive acclaim, nowhere near lukewarm (well, maybe the third one).
Lara Croft

Lara Croft is a weird case, where I can see she suffers a bit of the syndrome the most realistic characters usually have, problems to develop a compeling moveset that isn't too straighforward or bland. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have problems see it. In the other Lara herself is extremely popular, probably the first Female Videogame character that comes to mind in non-Nintendo focused communities and has got many popular games, though the latter ones seems to don't have the same hype... Which are the sells BTW?.

Also, she technically represents Square Enix... which already puts her in a rough spot for several reasons (the companies is associated with many characters that had loud support for many years, and SE is kind of stingy).

Want: 50%

I don't have any kind of relationship with Tomb Raider outside of pop culture, but I don't think there is a problem with Lara being in Smash.

Predictions:

Dragalia Lost Rep, which is other way of saying, "the Prince (Dragalia Lost)": 13.2%

Nominations:

Ryu Hayabusa x5
The new trilogy has sold over 22 million copies.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
Lara Croft

chance: 50%
want: 100%

she’s not as discussed as other 3rd party characters but that didn’t stop the likes of Terry, Joker, or the plant from getting in. No one can deny she’s amongst the top of the top video game mascots. Right up there with Mario. The problem is if they’ll put a 3rd SE character. Lara has it all except a loud fan base requesting her for smash. However she’s one to represent a unique genre and has an arsrnal of weapons to use. I feel she’s a perfect choice.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Lara Croft

Chance: 57%
This character is seriously slept on. Lara is one of the most, if not THE most, iconic female video game characters in history. Lara is a cultural icon on the same level as Master Chief and Mario, even those who don't play video games know about her. She also had a recent revival that was received well. With Square Enix already having their two biggest franchises in Smash, it's arguable that Tomb Raider is the biggest franchise they own that isn't currently represented in Smash.

Let me put this into perspective. The Tomb Raider franchise has sold over 74 million copies. Making it the third best selling IP that SE owns, only lagging behind Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest and both are already in Smash. The modern trilogy sold 22 million copies, effectively showcasing that the series still carries power to this day.

Let's look at her competition. There is Sora, who is a whole different can of worms what with him being owned by Disney. There is 2B, who I'm unsure if she'll truly pass because of CERO. And there is Geno, who ultimately depends on if Sakurai is still interested on making the character playable or not.

It might seem weird to say this since Lara isn't talked much in the Smash community. But I think she stands with the best shot for a third SE rep in Smash.

Want: 68%
I enjoyed playing the Tomb Raider games. My most preferred character from Square Enix is her fellow Eidos sibling Adam Jensen, but Lara is also a character that I want to see in this game. She would be great in Smash, she can borrow weapons and tools from her old and new games to make a fun and interesting moveset. This is a character that truly deserves an inclusion for Smash Bros, and if Ultimate is meant to be the greatest gaming crossover, that makes Lara all the more fitting as in inclusion in my opinion.

Prediction: Dragalia Lost rep 14.2%
Nomination: Steve x5

Top Bottom