• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Expectations (except for the first, second to last, and last ones, unordered)​

• At the start, it focuses on Smash Bros. Joker will have some gameplay shown off, as well as a release date that's going to be around April 10th. Mii Costumes for Jack Frost, the rest of the Phantom Thieves (I'm especially anticipating Morgana), Kazuma Kiryu, and... sigh... Arle, will go on sale for about the same price as Mii Costumes last time. Joker will get an amiibo. Persona, Yakuza, and Puyo Puyo spirits will be added in a SEGA fest, in addition to more spirits for Sonic, Bayonetta, and Virtua Fighter.
  • Bayonetta 3 will get a trailer.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 will get a name besides that in North America, retain its name in Europe. Trailer, and unspecified launch date around Autumn 2019. Amiibo for LM3 Luigi, E. Gadd and King Boo.
  • Pokémon Generation 8 (Blah and Yada versions) will be properly revealed. Amiibo for the starters will be revealed.
  • Persona 5 will be announced to be coming to Nintendo Switch.
  • Daemon X Machina will get a release date.
  • Wii U ports. Thinking Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, or maybe Pikmin 3.
  • SNES Online might get a reveal, I think this is my hard call one that I think is most likely to be wrong.
  • A showcase of some of the indie titles about to hit the eShop.
  • A showcase of other third party titles expected to launch somewhere before November 2019, such as Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled or the Final Fantasy games.
  • Last major reveal is a big update on Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and it will either get a delay to late Summer 2019 or have its launch be around May 20th, 2019.
  • At the end, as the "one last announcement", Brave will be revealed. Brave is likely Erdrick, and if so will be proceeded with a Dragon Quest announcement. If it's not Erdrick, it will likely be somebody else of Square Enix's cast. It's a teaser, and no gameplay is revealed, however Mii Costumes based on any of the rejected Squeenix crew are depicted. A vague "Summer 2019" appears at the end of the trailer.
Desires​

1. PUYO PUYO ANYTHING WOULD MAKE THIS 24/10 FOR ME
    1. It doesn't even have to be Arle is Brave, it could just be Chronicle or Champions, even 20th and I'd call it a win. Just a reminder that Puyo Puyo 1/2 SEGA AGES exist is good enough.
    2. BUT IF ARLE IS BRAVE THEN WHOO BOY THIS IS THE PEAK OF 2019 RIGHT HERE, also instead of Arle it's NiGHTS or Billy Hatcher who gets that Mii Costume. Alternatively, Arle both gets in and is a Mii Costume, meaning Dixie fans (among others) rejoice, and Spirits fans also rejoice.
  2. Besides that, I'd also really like to see Pikmin 4.
  3. Paper Mario gets either PM64 remake, TTYD remaster, or ports of Super/Color Splash.
  4. SNES Online. Also N64 Online with Puyo Puyo SUN/Yo~n in Japan, but that's a bit stretching it and falls under my Puyo clause.
  5. Brave is revealed to be Paper Mario, Banjo, or Crash. See Arle, but I would not lose my **** over their reveals an 1000th as much.
  6. Pokémon Temporal Diamond and Interstellar Pearl, or whatever they'd be called.
  7. Aside from that, there's nothing I wouldn't be down for.
Just gonna nominate Ryu Hayabusa x 10 today.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Expectations
  • More on Yoshi
  • 2d Zelda
  • Mario Maker 2
  • Something something Pikmin
  • Boxboy
  • MPT
  • Spyro
  • AC news
  • AC nes
  • Joker gameplay
  • Brave reveal
  • SNES games
Wants
  • Mario kart 8 dlc
  • Persona 5 on Switch
  • ''Brave'' isn't the obvious
  • New Kirby title
  • Ports of games I've got interest in
  • suprise me fam
Worries
  • FE segment drags out way to long
  • Nothing on Persona 5 or Mario Kart 8
  • Direct is mostly smaller titles instead of the big reveals we want
  • ''Brave'' is the obvious
Overall, I feel quite optimistic about this direct Smash and FE aside.

Metal Sonic x5
Cranky Kong x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Expectations

-We learn the plot of Three Houses, we get a release date, probably before June.
-Daemon X Machina gets a September/August release date.
-BoxBoy Trilogy port for Switch.
-Metroid Prime Trilogy and Star Fox Racing still MIA.
-Something about Yoshi that’s completely underwhelming.
-A Wii U Mario game gets ported.
-A 2D Zelda gets ported.
-Joker gameplay
-Brave announced through animation, it’s Erdrick
-Animal Crossing gameplay (yay!), no release date (aw...)
-SNES games for NSO.

Hopes

-Bayonetta 3 trailer and release date.
-Platinum announces a new, nintendo exclusive game (preferably W102 or a reboot of Murasame)
-Dead franchises galore (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Punch Out)
-Pikmin 4 gameplay
-Kid Icarus Uprising sequel announced (I’ll take a JPEG)
-Brave is Banjo, Master Chief is a Mii Costume, Minecraft is MIA
-BoxBoy 4 is a thing
-Metroid Dread (or another, new 2D Metroid)
-Ace Attorney 7
-Detective Pikachu ported to Switch to advertise the movie
-Captain Toad sequel, spin-off, movie deal, whatever, basically Toad gets his own franchise
-TWEWY 2

Noms: No fan favorites x5
Ryota Hayami x5

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Realistic:

*Dual Reveal. SNES games are revealed for Switch Online. Attached to it is normal looking gameplay of SMW, which transitions into Super Mario Maker 2.
*3DS Section. Mostly remakes.
*Pikmin 3 Port Revealed
*Metroid Prime Trilogy revealed
*Some unexpected new games.
*Middle of the direct: Persona 5 R reveal and Joker Gameplay. Also two unrelated echo fighters.
*FE:TH
*Animal Crossing
*LM3
*Town, Date given for Pokemon Direct
* Fire Emblem 3H
*"One Last Thing": Ederick reveal.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Direct predictions

No idea if I'll get to watch live or not. Def will be rushing through work tomorrow the best I can to get home and ready in time.

What I think we get is:
Joker gameplay and target release date range
New DLC character - Think it would be Erdrick, but hope it's Sora. Erdrick feels like the right pick for a regular direct reveal though, while Sora seems like someone they would show off at E3.
Gen 8 Pokemon news of some kind
Fire Emblem 3 Houses news

Noms:
Cranky Kong x 10

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Direct Predictions

1. Three houses will have a major share of the Direct. Target relese date included.
  2. Animal Crossing gets a minor timeshare and a proper reveal.
  3. Luigi's Mansion gets a bit more time in the spotlight.
  4. A Nindie's segement and a third party segement.
  5. New unexpected game.
  6. Smash as a Finale, Joker gameplay and reveal, and possible reveal of "Brave"
Nominations

Monster Hunter X10

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Expectations:
- More info on Fire Emblem Three Houses, including the release date.
- Animal Crossing on Switch reveal
- Joker's gameplay trailer in Smash Ultimate.
- The reveal of the new Switch game that they teased over these couple of weeks.
- Teaser trailer for the 2nd DLC Fighter in Smash Ultimate.
- Possible Gen 8 Pokemon game reveal.

Hopes and Dreams:
- A new F-Zero game.
- Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Switch.
- The 2nd DLC Fighter is not Erdrick. (I don't believe in any and all leaks)
- A new Pikmin game.
- More Wii U games being ported to the Switch.

Nominations:
Jin Kazama x10

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Predictions:
Yoshi
three Houses
GEn 8
Mystery Dungeon port
Mario Maker 2
sora
Echoes Pass starting with Funky Kong
animal Crossing Switch
prime Trilogy reveal and a new mainline Star Fox.
Want:
bGeno
banjo
shadow
F-Zero
punch out
captain Falcon in MK8 Deluxe
Earthworm Jim 4
bandana Dee
Meta Knight spinoff that is 3D.
Nominations:
Black Mage x 10

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Predictions:
-3 Houses (duh)
-Yoshi
-Animal Crossing
-Mario Kart (either Deluxe DLC or Mario Kart Tour)
-Switch Ports of Wii U games.
-Prime Trilogy
-Joker gameplay/ DLC details
-DLC Costumes (guessing Tails, Akira and Knuckles)
-"Brave" reveal
-Amiibo!
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Splatoon 2

Hopes (That Aren't Predictions)
-Persona Port(s)
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Pokemon (Montagues and Capulets? Yanny and Laurel? Pulp and No Pulp? Another hope is that Gamefreak comes up with better names than I do.)

Pipe Dreams
-Wii Fit successor.
-F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Mother Trilogy, Punch Out, Golden Sun, Advanced Wars...

Last edited:

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Predictions:
3 Houses
Animal Corssing
Pokemon
Luigi's Mansion
Joker gameplay
I am NOT anticipating the next DLC Reveal yet.
Hopes(But not expecting):
New Pikmin
Info on next DLC
Metroid...(please?)

This direct in general appeals to some of my favorite series if it goes as I think it will so I'm optimistic. Let's just hope everyone is somewhat pleased by the end of this!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Predictions:
-3 Houses (duh)
-Yoshi
-Animal Crossing
-Mario Kart (either Deluxe DLC or Mario Kart Tour)
-Switch Ports of Wii U games.
-Prime Trilogy
-Joker gameplay/ DLC details
-DLC Costumes (guessing Tails, Akira and Knuckles)
-"Brave" reveal
-Amiibo!
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Splatoon 2

Hopes (That Aren't Predictions)
-Persona Port(s)
-Kingdom Hearts 3
-Pokemon (Montagues and Capulets? Yanny and Laurel? Pulp and No Pulp? Another hope is that Gamefreak comes up with better names than I do.)

Pipe Dreams
-Wii Fit successor.
-F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Mother Trilogy, Punch Out, Golden Sun, Advanced Wars...
So cool to see someone else want a true Wii Fit successor. Fitness Boxing is a LOT of fun but I miss the variety Wii Fit Plus had. Switch Fit would be great.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
2/13 Nintendo Direct Predictions:
- Fire Emblem Three Houses release date.
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC.
- Luigi's Mansion 3.
- The newly teased Switch game.
- Joker's gameplay trailer and release date.
- Possible teaser for the 2nd DLC Fighter.
- More info on Town and Persona 5 R.
- Gen 8 Pokemon game reveal.

Wants:
- Dead series revival (F-Zero, Advance Wars, etc.)
- Kingdom Hearts 3 Switch reveal, followed by...
- Sora as the second DLC Fighter instead of Erdrick.
- New Pikmin game reveal.

Nominations:
Noctis Lucis Caelum x10

Troykv

Smash Master
Predictions:

Fire Emblem Three Houses will get between 15~20 minutes.
Luigi's Mansion 3
Joker's gameplay, and maybe even a release date
Something related with Kingdom Hearts
Tease of the next Smash Fighter Pass Character

Wants

Kingdom Hearts 2 & 3 in Switch
A new Kirby game
The overall news of Fire Emblem Three Houses give me enough information to have hope it will don't fall into the same mistakes as Fates.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem Three Houses will get between 15~20 minutes.
Part of me thinks that there's a chance they go overboard on FE, but at the same time if they were gonna do that you'd think they'd just make a FE Direct, which has happened before

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Predictions

FE Three Houses takes up a solid 6 minutes
No news on Luigis Mansion 3 or Animal Crossing, we only get one (probs Luigi tbh)
Joker Gameplay
Spyro Reignited Trilogy
KH 1.5 +2.5
Wii U Ports, probably XCX, W101, or Pikmin 3
Town info
Indies taking up a solid 4 minutes
The direct is actually ~38 minutes instead

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
The much anticipated early 2019 Nintendo Direct is finally coming. So what will we get today?

For Smash, I don't have big expectations. I think Joker is still in ealy development phase and not ready to be shown yet. But I think we can reasonably expect a no gameplay announcement for the fighter number 2, especially if the post with Kirby and the Dragon Quest shield is indeed a tease. Maybe if the gap before we get the first Fighter Pass is too long we could get an Echo fighter as DLC to fill it. If we are really lucky we could even get a new single player mode. But at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if we got no Smash news, but as someone who was shocked when we got a DLC character announcement as early as the day before SSBU's release maybe I'm a bit too pessimistic.

For other games? Honestly I'm not really hungry for more Smash news because we already got Piranha Plant not two weeks ago, and I wouldn't mind a Smash drought for this year's first half, so other announcements are what I'm looking for.

- I'm anticipating that Fire Emblem Three Houses will be featured for about a quater of the presentation. We might get some story and new mechanics not seen in any Fire Emblem before.
- The most likely game to be featured besides Fire Emblem Three Houses imo is Daemon Ex Machina, we haven't heard a lot about it since its announcement more than half a year ago.
- We might get news about Luigi's Mansion 3, although since its announcement was from the last general Nintendo Direct, we might have to wait until E3 to get more news.
- Same thing about Animal Crossing for Switch.
- There's a decent change that Game Freak might break the habit of revealing the new Pokémon generation on its own, instead revealing it in the general Direct. Personally I hope we're not getting Pokémon in this Direct because I want to discover a new generation of Pokémon (almost) spoiler-free again.
- A new port from Wii U maybe.
- A lot of smaller and indie games.
- If not Pokémon generation 8, then a new game from a widely anticipated Nintendo IP. Might be Pikmin 4, but I'm more expecting this one for E3, and I'm expecting Super Mario Maker 2 (a game I'm really anticipating) for next year. The original SMM was released for the 30th anniversary of Super Mario Bros., so they might want another anniversary dividable by 5. I personally hope it's Donkey Kong!
- Still no news on Bayonetta 3.

So overall I'm mostly predicting... lack of stuff than stuff :laugh: seems like I don't have big expectations. Often in Direct we have two, maybe three big things if we are lucky and the rest is okay but not memorable at best. I just hope I'll not have to use the "I expected nothing and I'm still let down" meme.

Yeah I know I haven't posted here since the complete base roster was revealed. But since today is dedicated to Direct speculation I want to post here just today. Don't expect participation from me most days because I'm not interested in giving either low or super low chance scores to so many characters, but maybe I could occasionally participate if the title is interesting.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Time for reactions to the info we got. I’ll have a post later.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Ninja'd.

First off, we got no new characters for Ultimate, but given how Version 3.0 was hyped up, we're probably going to see a ton of new content for that. Also we got a general area for Joker's release, being around April-ish. That means we gotta wait about one more month..

For the thing that MOST hyped me up in this Direct, it would definitely have to be the announcement of Rune Factory 4 Special and Rune Factory 5. I actually really enjoyed Rune Factory 4, and seeing that it's now coming to the switch with more content just fills me with joy, as well as the fact that the fact that the Rune Factory Series (Which many had believed was dead due to the bankruptcy of Neverland Co., the series' original creators, shortly after Rune Factory 4's release) is still alive and kicking!

I also like the way FE Three Houses was represented. It seems that units in Fire Emblem Three Houses will not have specific classes: They can be trained to use any type of weapon, or any movement type. It also seems that it'll have a skill system similar to Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, likely revolving around how you've trained your units.

The out of left-field thing for me was DEFINITELY the remaster of Link's Awakening. Who would've thought that a 26-year old Game Boy game would get a remaster on the Switch?

Astral Chain looked pretty interesting. Dragon Quest 11 S and Super Mario Maker 2 are also pretty interesting (Also Cat Mario in 2D. That's a new one). We also got a release date for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night.

And of course Toby Fox trolls us again with another nonsensical trailer for one of his games, although this time it seems the Annoying Dog has taken over a Deltarune trailer.

All in all, I like, even though there's not much Smash.

Noms: Yuri Lowell x10

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Well, the direct just dropped. We starting satisfaction rating and stuffs now?
Well, we don’t have enough of Joker imo to do sagtisfacfion. We saw his model and that’s it. General thoughts on the direct.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
They didn't even show us Joker gameplay. What a disappointment... Welp, back to the drought.

Direct satisfactions coming soon.
(The only real hype thing in that direct was Mario Maker 2... also Tetris Battle Royale is now a thing. Neat.)

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Not a lot in there I cared about tbh. Glad we at least have a target date for Joker. 3 houses looks alright. Will probably buy it. I'd give the whole thing a 3/10.

Noms:
Cranky Kong x10

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I expected nothing but the obvious and we didn’t get even the obvious.

Mario Maker 2 was nice, if expected, but still, pretty cool.

Ultimate Alliance 3 got a release date, neat.

Smash is already planning the next big update (but they don’t want to tell us the contents for whatever reason). What baffles me is that Joker is apparently releasing in April, yet they barely have a model ready? Piranha Plant was announced in November and dropped in February, yet it was close to completion. I really don’t know how the **** they plan on going with this Fighter Pass and this doesn’t breed confidence in me.

Bloodstained getting a release date is great, and gameplay looks fantastic.

DQXIS had already been announced and it’s a game I already own on PS4. Bummer on missing out on the pixel art version but hard pass.

Game from the mediocre studio that made Setsuna and Lost Sphear- pass!

Three Houses looking hella fine, though I worry that the ‘you choose between factions’ will breed the same story problems Fates had, and the school setting might carry on with the same blatant anime cliches Fates’ characters were hurt by.

FFVII get release date, cool, but FFIX is too great a game to shadow drop it like that, for shame.

Astral Chain looking dope, hope it’s a Nintendo IP.

Yoshi and Daemon X Machina are looking like two games I won’t buy, but will play their demos.

Tetris 99, now that’s a fun amusement.

Link’s Awakening remake being rumored for years, and if your big ending showstopper is a remake, you’re doing it wrong.

Honestly the biggest thing here for me was BoxBoy. I love me some BoxBoy.

All in all kinda disappointing. Maybe they’re holding the big guns for E3 but there are some blatant absences (Luigi’s Mansion, Bayonetta, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Animal Crossing).

Don’t think any of my hopes were real in the end except a new Platinum thing.

I’ll probably do another post later checking my predictions and seeing how wrong I was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For me I think it was a pretty nice direct, going to eliminate stuff from expectations that doesn't sound too reasonable.

Pros:
-Platinum's new game looks good
-DQXI S improvements and release date are neat
-3 houses looks better than last year
-Rune Factory 5
-Game updates to look forward including Joker
-Demos for Daemon x Machina and Yoshi
-Final Fantasy IX out later today
-Mario Maker 2
-Tetris Battle Royale

Neutral:
-A Link's Awakening looks a bit weird
-Oninaki looks kind of interesting but need more info on it
-Somewhat uninteresting ports
-Smash Teaser not giving much info, would've been cool a notice for a direct soon

Weird:
-No news regarding LM3 nor Animal Crossing
-FFVII out next month

Overall 8~9/10 for me. It was pretty good info being prepared

Last edited by a moderator:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I’m probably in the minority but I felt this direct was aces.

-Mario Maker 2. Super cool. It’s mario maker with more tools. I bet it will have some form of mii verse styled online like Splatoon did. Looks like a purchase from me.

- Not much smash info, wait for April when we get Joker’s actual trailer.

-Boxboy. Suprised this made it to the switch before Pushmo or Dillons Rolling Western. Not upset; seems cute.

-DQXI looks amazing. Glad I waited for the switch version. Gonna rush through my rpg backlogs to make sure I play through it upon release.

-I’m digging Oninaki a lot. Looks like a day one purchase from me. Looks super fun, has an artstyle and gameplay that are up my alley. Also the previous games from the developer were fun so I’m down.

-Tetris battle royale is amazing and if you dislike it you are wrong.

-Rune Factory looks cute! Cute! I am excited to try out this series.

-Three Houses looks fun, I can’t wait for the Three Houses to turn against each other 1/4 into the story and you get them back slowly. It looks fun and has some nice QoL changes. Which we saw more of supports and characters though. The ones we have seen are ok so far. Edelgard still over female Blyeth CaptainAmerica CaptainAmerica

-Daemon x Machina and Bloodstained still exist. I’m glad both games are looking good. I was worried bout the latter but both look like solid purchases.

-FF7 and 9 are good.

-Astral Chain looks amazing. Super hype gameplay, looks ridiculous and unique. I’m betting on it being exclusive and it looks amazing. Great graphics, cool gameplay, seems like a day one purchase. Even has a crazy story and a crazy strong dev team.

-Links Awakening is my 2nd favorite 2D Zelda and this looks so cute. I’m sold on it tbh. Here’s hoping we get some extra content for it though so it’s not just a remake.

9/10 direct. I’m glad it was super strong with new stuff given I was worried about 2019 this year for the switch. This year looks so good now. Glad Smash did not cannibalize the direct ironically. Overall amazing direct imo, very fresh. Way better than September’s...

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
The Good
Mario Maker 2
Actual Three Houses info.
Dragon Quest XI S. I never touched a DQ game. Maybe this will be the first.
Final Fantasy release dates. I also never touched FF VII. Aerith dies btw.
Tetris. Now that's a Battle Royale I could get behind.
Astral Plane. This one's a wait and see. I did like the music. Made me think it was Xenoblade.
No Mother 3

The Bad
Link's Awakening closing the Direct.
Three Houses delayed again.
Smash Info just teased. Ver 3.0 might get its own dedicated info dump.

The "I couldn't give a **** about it"
Everything else

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Direct Reactions

Pros:
  • Mario Maker 2
  • Dragon Quest Builders 2 and DQXI western Switch releases
  • Fire Emblem Three Houses info (yeah it got delayed but July is earlier than I was expecting)
  • Astral Chain looks really cool
  • Link's Awakening remake seems alright
  • Some ports such as FF7 and FF9
  • Tetris 99 being free
Cons:
  • The lack of any hype Smash reveals/announcements
  • Not even a mention of Animal Crossing
  • I didn't care for about half of the other games announced
I give it a 7~8/10. This was the definition of a solid good Direct.

EDIT:
Nominations: Erdrick x10

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I’m probably in the minority but I felt this direct was aces.
-Rune Factory looks cute! Cute! I am excited to try out this series.
I can confirm that Rune Factory's pretty fun. It's basically Harvest Moon but with plenty of RPG elements added on. The series was also brought back from death with this as well (Everybody thought it was dead due to Neverland Co going bankrupt). Hell, even Rune Factory 4 Special looks pretty great! Definitely gonna pick it up when it comes out!

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
SUPER MARIO MAKER 2!!! With slopes! That alone makes the Direct great.
I didn't expect much about Smash and I was right. But Joker is releasing earlier than I expected. I thought he would only be available in June. Also it looks like the teasing suggested a bigger amount of new content than the last update. Maybe we might expect a Smash DLC Direct by then?

The new Platinum game looks great. Definitely gonna consider getting it. Also Link's Awakening is great too, I had the opportunity to experience the original sporadically but never to finish it, and it was fun. A likely purchase for me too.
But SMM2 is for sure a guaranteed purchase as close to day one as possible. I had a lot of fun with the original and I'm gonna have even more fun with a new version with even more options. I have not bought a Switch Online subscription, though... this game might be the incentive for me to get one.

Like I expected, a few memorable announcements that will define my memories about this Direct. Definitely did not expect a gigaton of hype announcements, they'll likely drop most of the anticipated hype bombs for E3.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So, what did I get right?

Expectations

-We learn the plot of Three Houses, we get a release date, probably before June.
Got the plot and a release date, but it’s July.

-Daemon X Machina gets a September/August release date.
Wrong, no release date.

-BoxBoy Trilogy port for Switch.
Right, and an expanded one at that.
-Metroid Prime Trilogy and Star Fox Racing still MIA.
Right.

-Something about Yoshi that’s completely underwhelming.
A demo, to be precise.

-A Wii U Mario game gets ported.
Well, Mario Maker turned out to be a sequel, not a port.

-A 2D Zelda gets ported.
Link’s Awakening, though it’s obviously not a port.

-Joker gameplay
Oh so wrong.

-Brave announced through animation, it’s Erdrick
Wrong.

-Animal Crossing gameplay (yay!), no release date (aw...)
How was this wrong?

-SNES games for NSO.
Also wrong.

Hopes

-Bayonetta 3 trailer and release date.
Didn’t happen.

-Platinum announces a new, nintendo exclusive game (preferably W102 or a reboot of Murasame)
One of the coolest moments of the night.

-Dead franchises galore (F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun, Punch Out)
Nope.

-Pikmin 4 gameplay
Not even a port of 3.

-Kid Icarus Uprising sequel announced (I’ll take a JPEG)
Nope.

-Brave is Banjo, Master Chief is a Mii Costume, Minecraft is MIA
Nope.

-BoxBoy 4 is a thing
Kind of? New levels, I’ll take it.

-Metroid Dread (or another, new 2D Metroid)
No.

-Ace Attorney 7
No!

-Detective Pikachu ported to Switch to advertise the movie
No...

-Captain Toad sequel, spin-off, movie deal, whatever, basically Toad gets his own franchise
No but at least there’s DLC.

-TWEWY 2
*sigh*

So I was mostly wrong, but I did end up getting a new Platinum IP and more BoxBoy, so it was a good deal.

Noms: No fan favorites x5
Ryota Hayami x5

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
While I've already said it before that I'm really happy about Rune Factory being alive, this clip accurately sums up my reaction to Rune Factory 4 Special and Rune Factory 5:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait scratch everything I said.

Just rewatched the part in which my internet connection ****ed up and holy crap!

It’s not a port, it’s a new BoxBoy game!

That’s it 10/10 Direct Mario Zelda FE and Kamiya were also cool.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
The Nintendo Switch, now with more Jevil
Jevil Dance (Ingame).gif
:

Deltarune on Switch was an excellent announcement; I wasn't expecting it at all, and while I could just play it on my PC, I just love getting to have it on my Switch...even if it's just a demo with a likely not final 1st chapter. Metamorphosis.

Super Mario Maker 2 is also excellent; I don't wanna wait 'til June :( but that's okay, it has a lot more features and it's much cooler, it'll be worth the wait.

I was expecting some actual Smash news, but at least we know around when a new update is coming with Not Batman included, I guess.

Dragon Quest has me interested...with how much attention it got, I was expecting a reveal for Erdrick, Luminary or Slime in Smash, but it didn't happen :p. If that actually happens, I guess it's gonna be in a Smash Direct or a standalone announcement or whatever.

Final Fantasy has me interested, too; I'll probably wait for FF7 so I can play that one before the others, since they're all newer entries than that one.

I'm also interested in Fire Emblem but I dunno if I'll get it or not.

The Link's Awakening remake looks amazing, I'm definitely getting that one. I've never actually played or watched any videos of the original so this'll be my first experience with the game.

I might also get Yoshi's Crafted World, it looks nice.

The other games didn't really interest me, except for Boxboy but I dunno. I guess that Rune Factory game seems interesting.

All in all it was a great Direct, however I am disappointed in no Pikmin (also Mother/EarthBound but I wasn't really expecting it to happen...). Vergeben said we'd get a Pikmin 3 port in this Direct (wrong >:[ ) as well as Star Fox Grand Prix, and had an update that what he assumed would be a 2D Zelda related to an "old Link's Awakening remake" wasn't actually related to Link's Awakening at all, so I guess GameFaqs is gonna rage at him 'til he gets himself banned :awesome:

Nominations:

Creeper x5
Ninten x5

Last edited:

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
The other games didn't really interest me, except for Boxboy but I dunno. I guess that Rune Factory game seems interesting.
To give you an overview on Rune Factory, think similarly to Stardew Valley, except trade off some of the farmland customization for fully-fledged combat mechanics, an overarching story, and a large emphasis on item crafting. Rune Factory 4 was one of the best games I had the pleasure of playing on the 3DS, and anybody who passes it up is missing out. Honestly, people are rejoicing that Rune Factory is alive given how there was no news for a good 7 years. Hell, I enjoyed the game so much that when RF4 Special comes out, I'm DEFINITELY buying it for Switch. How people keep passing up this masterpiece of a series actually being ALIVE and saying the Direct showed nothing of note is beyond me.

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
What my expectations were:
Mario Maker 2 (first thing revealed)
Fire Emblem Three Houses info (no duh)
Boxboy (confirmed)
Surprise port (does Dead by Daylight count?)
Either Pikmin or Metroid something (neither)
Yoshi (we saw a bit)
Very brief Pokemon announcement (no)
Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion maybe? (again, no)
Bayo 3 info (barely)
Daemon X Machina something (a demo)
Spyro trilogy (surprisingly no)
Some indie games (very many)

What I got:
Astral Chain looks pretty cool.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Mario Maker 2 looks lit. Deltarune came out of left field. Link's Awakening looks cool. solid Direct
Nominations:
Black Mage x10

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Decent Direct, wasn't expecting too much in the first place. I was worried it'd be too Japan-centric (just one JRPG after another) until the later half. The better surprises IMO were Hellblade and Deltarune, with Astral Chain being the intriguing new announcement. Super Mario Maker 2 should please that particular crowd that the Wii U cultivated.

Not surprised to see them decentralizing from Smash announcements now. Ultimate's already out, and it's better to just tell it straight instead of staying mum and hoping people aren't expecting a reveal trailer at the end. If there's more Fighter Pass news to come, it'll come for certain - but we're still just a month and a half into 2019, while the DLC schedule is stretched out all the way to February of next year. I wouldn't expect Character 2 until March or April, though it also depends on whether Joker drops in Version 3.0 or not.

Nominations
Hat Kid x5

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
Eh...I preferred the September Direct over this. Animal Crossing, Katamari, and Isabelle in Smash are personal leaps and bounds beyond what we got today.

I'll give my impressions of what I actually cared to retain.

- Mario Maker 2: Good deal. I'm happy about that. But I want to see some Mystery Mushrooms, gosh darn it. Those are my favorite part of Super Mario Maker: playing Mario levels as obscure and/or fan-favorite Nintendo characters. But beyond that, they seem to be expanding upon the unique elements of the different Mario themes present (more unique enemies and whatnot), and that makes me happy.

- BoxBoy: I can't tell if it's a port, enhanced port, or new installment, but I like BoxBoy, so cool beans.

- Fire Emblem Three Houses: Looks pretty cool. It might be the first Fire Emblem game I play on its native console. Maybe. And it looks to have ditched some of the waifu aspects of the last two games, so it'll be an interesting experiment to see if an original installment closer to the classic formula will sell as well as Awakening.

- Link's Awakening: I like the idea of bringing back Link's Awakening. I'm not sure how I feel about the art style, though. And the music track they picked to debut the game gave the trailer an atmosphere more akin to a "Yoshi's (Artsy Adjective) World" installment than Link's Awakening, so I'm a little weary.

- A bunch of JRPGs: Yeah, I'm travelling at a snail's pace through Xenoblade 2 right now, so at least I'm giving the genre a chance. But boy howdy, does too much of something you don't care about sap you of all energy. I desperately wanted them to counteract the anime and battle systems with something simple, like F-Zero, Wario Land, or Starfy, but those names fall on deaf ears, over at Nintendo.

- Tetris 99: I like Tetris, but my Internet is only good for basic web-surfing, so I guess that's out of the question.

- Smash Update 3.0 WHAT'S INSIDE? IT'S A MYSTERY!!!!: For such a mysterious and imagination-inducing headline, they better have Smash Run and some playable Assist Trophies to keep my attention, haha. If all I have to look forward to is Joker, then that's a hard pass from me.

That doesn't seem too bad, but what made matters worse were the details that were lacking.

1) Metroid Prime Trilogy: Mario Maker 2 and BoxBoy ended up happening, so where was Metroid?
2) Pikmin 4: Oh, Miyamoto and his tendency to talk about Pikmin far earlier than he needs to. I'm still waiting for any tangible news whatsoever about this game (and no, a port of Pikmin 3 won't satisfy my desire to play Pikmin, since I already own it).
3) Animal Crossing: A lot of people seemed to want to see some AC footage. I didn't think it would happen, but it definitely would've been nice.
4) Fighter's Pass: I know none of the characters are going to interest me, but I still have this darn glimmer of hope that something I care about might be included in the Pass. The sooner Sakurai announces all of the characters and kills that hope, the sooner I can stop caring.
5) Luigi's Mansion: I am worried that LM3 will struggle to capture the essence of the first game (much like Dark Moon), so I want to see more of it so that I can gauge how interested I am.
6) Spyro: Reignited Trilogy: We all know it's gonna happen, so announce it already!

I know this is probably more overly-critical than my typical posts, but the few announcements that interested me in the slightest were either spoiled ahead of time, or were Link's Awakening, which gave me a very neutral feeling.

EDIT: I guess I should give a satisfaction rating. How about...30%. I was 30% satisfied.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Welp, that direct left me disappointed.
Here were my predictions and hopes. If anything on my list came true, I will share my opinion. Then I will share my opinions about things I didn't mention and give a final score.

EXPECTATIONS:

-Joker reveal trailer with gameplay + release date.
NOPE
-Next character reveal: predicting Erdrick or another surprise character like Crash or Scorpion
NOPE (There was a lot of DQ pandering however...)
-Pokémon Generation 8 reveal
NOPE
-Persona 5 coming to Switch
NOPE
-Super Mario Maker Deluxe port
YES! It's a sequel rather than a port, which has me more hyped than ever! This was the peak of the direct for me.
-Bayonetta 3 gameplay
NOPE! Just a brief mention that it's in the works.
-Yoshi's Crafted World gameplay
YES! They showed off a new kart racing mode and some cardboard outfits... I don't get it. I'm indifferent about this game anyways so it doesn't matter.
-Weegee's Mansion 3 gameplay
NOPE!
-Fire Emblem Three Houses (Confirmed)
YES! Obviously this was gonna happen, and I've been thinking about trying a FE game sometime soon. Somewhat indifferent, but we'll see.
-Animal Crossing Switch gameplay
NOPE
-Xbox Live App coming to Switch (Yes, this was actually confirmed by Microsoft. Look it up.)
NOPE! Honestly should've put this off the list, because this was recently just announced by Microsoft. I would expect this to be revealed at E3 or VGA 2019.
-More NES games
NO

HOPES AND DREAMS:

-Overwatch port coming to Switch
NO! Sadly didn't happen despite Jeff Kaplan stating he wanted to bring it to the Switch, but he was unsure about console limitations.
-Any of my most wanted getting into Smash. (Though we'll probably get Erdrick or one of my least wanted instead.)
NO! There was barely any Smash at all. Why Nintendo!?
-Banjo-Kazooie coming to Switch
NO!
-A NEW Mario Kart game
NO!

THE REST OF THE DIRECT:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: Indifferent

Bloodstained: This Metroidvania seems interesting and the main character seems like a mix of Kirby and Simon

Boxboy: Nice to see the series get another game. Still indifferent.

Smash: WHAT THE HELL NINTENDO!? Y U NO REVEAL ANYTHING!?
Incredibly disappointing part of the direct, especially since it was all I was thinking about today before the direct.

Starlink: Cool I guess, but I've never been interested in the Toys to Life genre. It's a way for companies to milk players of their money by needing a new figure to advance like Skylanders. I let amiibos slide because they're optional bonus features.

Rune Factory: Never heard of it, and I'm indifferent.

Oninaki: Not too convinced, but we'll see. Sounds interesting tho.

DQ XI and Builders 2: Never been interested with DQ outside of Slime as a character, but it seems convincing. It REALLY gave a lot of hints of a potential Erdrick inclusion, but it didn't happen anyways sooo...

Disney TSUM TSUM Festival: No thanks.

Final Fantasy games in the eShop: Cool, I guess.

Daemon X Machina: Indifferent

Captain Toad updates: Ok.

Tetris 99, AKA Tetris Battle Royale: I laughed when I saw this, and now I love it. This also increased Tetromino's chances due to Nintendo acknowledging it. Tetris is very nostalgic for me because I played it as a kid, and Tetromino in Smash is the proper way to represent the gaming relic's series. Not some random girl that stands on the side like Lip and Arle Nadja. Sorry Ridrool64 Ridrool64 .

Dead By Daylight: This looks like someone ported a PS2 game to the Switch. Unacceptable and looks like crap. FF is allowed to slide due to it actually being an old PlayStation game.

Deltarune: I've been thinking about it, but the Undertale fanbase has left a negative impression on me overall. Not sure honestly, but I liked the funny trailer with the Annoying Dog.

GRID Autosport: Cool

Hellblade: Indifferent, and now I forgot what the gameplay even looked like. Will have to watch the direct again.

MK11: YES! Scorpion for Smash!

Unravel 2: Cute game, but I refuse to feed EA any money for non-PvZ content, especially after their greed has been going out of control with the complicated release charts.

Assassins Creed: Ok.

Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon: Ok.

Astral Chain: Seems interesting, but I'm not sure what to think of it so far. I'll have to see more gameplay before considering.

Link's Awakening remaster: Wasn't expecting this, but it's Link in a new style, and I quite like it. He looks like a little toy. Smash could always use more projectile spamming Links anyways! Toy Link for Smash! (Just kidding, 3 is enough and they're all annoying af to fight.)

Overall, this direct was very iffy, and disappointing. Mario Maker 2 was the most hype part for me, and that was at the very beginning of the direct. The rest was full of games I was indifferent about, and no Smash reveals whatsoever was incredibly disappointing. I did get a fun laugh from Tetris 99 though.

Final Score: 40%

Ezio Auditore: 3.82%

Magikarp x10

D

Deleted member

9/10
It had a lot of great reveals and Super Mario Maker 2. Honestly I couldn't be more happy with a direct besides getting smash content. Plus I always wanted Dead by Daylight and now it's going to be on the Nintendo Switch (yes, I'm a fan of the game, I play it when it's a free trial on steam and my friend has it), plus it slightly increase Dwights chances from 0.001% of getting in, to 0.01%. Tetris 99 is something I'm actually excited for also.

Nominations:
it seems like people are getting 10 nominations. so I think I'm allowed to also. if not just tell me otherwise
Freddi Fish and Luther x10

Top Bottom