• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Chance: 40%. It could go either way. On one hand, Smash Ultimate sold very well, and DLC would be an easy way to capitalize on that. On the other, I wouldn't blame Sakurai for wanting to call it quits, he's been working on Smash almost nonstop since 2012(?). I'm slightly leaning on the side that we won't get more.

Want: 100%. More characters are always better, right? Especially with the way the first pass is looking like it'll be 3rd parties only, I'd like a second chance.

Noms: Maxwell x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
More DLC

Chance - 37.5% - Sakurai is hesitant on DLC, and he seems tired enough as-is. We know that Joker was still being majorly worked on when he appered, so he still isn't even finished on developing the DLC that was promised, so that gives time to have a request for more. I think Sakurai has the final say, but there is enough preasure to add more given how Smash sold like hotcakes. It's not completely out of the picture, but it's not certain either.

Want - 75% - I'd like to know what we're getting before going gun-ho. That said, who would object to more?

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
More DLC

Chance: 20%
Who knows? More importantly, how many fighting games can you name that did more than one season of DLC fighters?

I don't see anything in betting that Nintendo will make more, at any rate. Of course more Smash characters would mean more money. But so would more Mario Kart racetracks, or Splatoon 2 campaigns, or Breath of the Wild dungeons. All of these, given their insane attach rates, would guarantee net profits for Nintendo - we just don't talk about them because they don't get our favourite video game characters into Smash.

Yet the reason that Nintendo doesn't simply make endless DLC for their games is the same as always, the same reason that not every PC game can keep up in the size of their updates - at some point, you have to move onto working on something new. And Sakurai has no real obligation to shackle himself to Ultimate longer than he needs to, especially if it's just to satisfy the whims of every last community on the internet still unhappy about the game.

Want: 99%
I will take as many Sakurai-approved characters as I can get, and as much third-party coverage as can be managed. But I know well enough to keep this as a simply preference, instead of an expectation.

Nominations
Hat Kid x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The more the merrier
Chance: 35%
SSBU is a big success, more more characters beyond the first Pass could happen. But I have a feeling Sakurai and the dev team will take a well-deserved break after the Fighter Pass is finished.
Want: 75%
More characters is always nice. But like I said, he devs deserve a break.

Sepiroth prediction: 5% even though it should be lower
Noms: Erdrick x5

The only thing that gives me pause is that despite how open and specific Nintendo has been about sales and records, they’ve been quiet on how the Fighter Pass has been selling. So it might not be selling well, which is natural given fan concern. Still, I don’t think it’s what Nintendo might have expected after Joker’s reveal, so that means they either rethink their DLC strategy or just think people don’t want DLC and can the whole operation.
Nintendo never gives sales info for DLC. The only exception I can think of is New Super Luigi U, which was also released as a standalone game. And I doubt Nintendo is concerned about the Fighter Pass sales right now considering only one fighter has been announced and nothing else.

D

Deleted member

Lets see more DLC,

Chance - 60%
I feel that we would be able to see some kind of additional content and current environment seems good for more DLC. It can change however...

Want - 80%
Depends on what type of content, and how the DLC goes. As long as the current DLC goes all right and is priced alright, I'm in for next phases.
Nominate Erdrick for rerate x5 if he has been used.

Last edited by a moderator:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
"You know what they say, the more the merrier!" - Dr. Ivo 'Eggman' Robotnik, 2005

Chance: 25%
Provided that DLC for this iteration is all third party like many are expecting, I don't see it too far out of the ordinary that we could get more DLC after. However, any future wave would probably have more first party to balance things out. To be fair, there are far too many circumstances for a precise estimate.

Want: 100%
So far, DLC hasn't done anything for me with Smash, and the current looks aren't looking that satisfying either. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a lot of people like the direction of DLC so far, I'm just not a fan. So I would like to see more DLC after this that could possibly offer me something I'd like to see.

Prediction: Sepiroth
Hmm, the current Square Enix guesses aren't really geared for him. He doesn't fit the 'code name' that was leaked either, so... 2.67%

Nominations:
Professor Hector x2
Q*Bert x3

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
More DLC

Chance: 30%
While it is likely that we're getting a second wave of DLC, I'm not sure if Sakurai is willing to do so. After the first wave of DLC, would he allow another set of DLC Fighters? Who knows, it's all up to him, really. But given how Smash Ultimate has been doing for these couple of months and if the first wave was successful, then I don't see why they wouldn't want more characters in Smash.

Want: 75%
Smash Ultimate definitely needs more characters, especially first-party ones, so I wouldn't mind another set of DLC just for them. There are a lot of character that really needs to be playable in Smash and that would make me happy.

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil x5

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
More DLC

Chance: 51%

I think it is slightly more likely than unlikely. I feel like Ultimate has the potential to last as long as Nintendo wants it to. People are eating it up, along with the Switch. On top of that, there are quite a few things that they could still do. They could have a season 2 of brand new fighters, an echo fighter pass, a World of Light extension, Home Run Contest, etc. There is more than enough reason to keep up the support.

At the same time though, Sakurai has pretty much been slaving away at Smash ever since Smash 4 development and we can’t really blame him if he wants to take a nice long breather. However, I still have a slight hunch that this first wave is far from the end.

Want: 100%

I always want more Smash. I’m the kind of guy who couldn’t find his Piranha Plant code, and instead just paid $5 to get him as soon as possible. And I would’ve paid more had that if I had to. Smash is like my favorite past time and I am always down for more. Even when it’s just characters that I don’t personally care for. Like Bayo and Corrin. Or Mii costumes that I’m never gonna use. Like... most if them. It’s still always exciting for me!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
More DLC

Who knows? More importantly, how many fighting games can you name that did more than one season of DLC fighters?
Street Fighter V, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Tekkem 7 as definitive examples of having more than one season, and that's just off the top of my head. That's just big recent ones, arguably the three biggest fighters in the FGC.

The only thing that gives me pause is that despite how open and specific Nintendo has been about sales and records, they’ve been quiet on how the Fighter Pass has been selling. So it might not be selling well, which is natural given fan concern. Still, I don’t think it’s what Nintendo might have expected after Joker’s reveal, so that means they either rethink their DLC strategy or just think people don’t want DLC and can the whole operation.
Mario Odyssey is at 13 million, MK8 Deluxe is at 15 million. It’s still really on pace to become number one.

Weird how Splatoon, ARMS, Star Allies and BotW get DLC, but Odyssey gets just clothes and Mario Kart 8 gets... did it get anything? Maybe they only release DLC to spur more sales of the base game?

To be fair, it is clear Nintendo still has plans for MK8 Deluxe, given they added new Link skins to the game last year. I would estimate personally us seeing perhaps something in 2019 to appease fans.

As for not showing the sales of DLC, honestly I feel Nintendo has not done so yet because they are probably waiting for the ball to actually drop. They know that the Fighters Pass is gonna sell, but reporting on sales of it now would be too hasty. Nintendo is probably going to wait until the second quarter investor meeting to report on how well the DLC is selling. It also helps that we do not know the Smash 4 DLC sales to this day or Mario Kart 8 Wii U's DLC. Nintendo tends to keep those numbers under lock and key.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Street Fighter V, Dragon Ball Fighterz, Tekkem 7 as definitive examples of having more than one season, and that's just off the top of my head. That's just big recent ones, arguably the three biggest fighters in the FGC.

To be fair, it is clear Nintendo still has plans for MK8 Deluxe, given they added new Link skins to the game last year. I would estimate personally us seeing perhaps something in 2019 to appease fans.

As for not showing the sales of DLC, honestly I feel Nintendo has not done so yet because they are probably waiting for the ball to actually drop. They know that the Fighters Pass is gonna sell, but reporting on sales of it now would be too hasty. Nintendo is probably going to wait until the second quarter investor meeting to report on how well the DLC is selling. It also helps that we do not know the Smash 4 DLC sales to this day or Mario Kart 8 Wii U's DLC. Nintendo tends to keep those numbers under lock and key.
Don't forget Mortal Kombat X which had 2 Kombat Packs. Every pack contained 2 MK characters and 2 horror movie characters such as Jason and Xenomorph.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
More DLC

99% Chance

I am a firm believer in the placeholder spots. Fighting games make money with their dlc. I am very confident in some echos at the very least. Hope that we get the best stuff with a season 2 as well.

100% want

I will be surprised if this does not get a 100% average. I mean, it is more stuff. I do not have much to say.

Tracer x 5

Day over, rate Sephiroth, predict Concept: SNK Rep.

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Sephiroth
Chance - 1%
Given that Cloud barely got anything and was supposedly the last character added back to Smash due to difficulty of negotiations. Sephiroth's chances doesn't look good for DLC picks wise. I won't be too surprised if there aren't any Square Enix characters in DLC due to that either.

Want- 55%
Sephiroth would be an interesting addition for sure. But there are other Final Fantasy characters I prefer to be in Smash like Rikku, Noctis, or Tidus.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
The one winged angel
Chance: 3%
Want: 55%

Sephiroth has TONS of competition. Ignoring Geno, he has to fight Erdrick, Slime, Sora, 2B, Neku, Bubble Bobble, and more. It doesn't help that Erdrick also has an extremely high chance of making it as of now. Considering that he's also FF's second rep, and is owned by the stingy company called Square Enix, Sephiroth has a pretty low chance of happening. Then comes the potential problems with his sword.

The thing is so massive that it takes up 3/4 of most of his artwork. We have big swords in the game already, such as Cloud's Buster Sword and Shulk's Monado, but this one looks like it would take up half the stage and give him a ridiculous amount of reach. It was estimated to be roughly over 9 feet long by the "people also ask" section on Google. "Estimating that he is 7 foot tall (84 inches), and assuming the entire blade with handle is 1.3 times his size, we can say that the length of Sephiroth's sword is approximately 109.2 inches(9.1 feet). Good luck finding a replica." They could easily cut it down to a suitable size, but he's probably not gonna happen anyways considering his competition. Keeping this in mind, he fits better as a boss character in my opinion. For want, he's kinda cool, but I'm indifferent. The extra 5% is just so we can get One Winged Angel as a music track. Yep. That's it.

SNK Rep: 4.72%

Magikarp x5

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Sephiroth

Chance: 0%
It's pretty slim. Basically, other Square characters have had their names bandied about much more than Sephiroth, and even besides that Sephiroth is one of those characters where it's hard to envision a scenario in which he makes sense. His game and series are already repped by Cloud, and I think that both Nintendo and Square would want to delve into Square's other properties for another hypothetical crossover.

Want: 0%
No-brainer zero for me; he's not Nintendo. I wasn't too pleased with Cloud, so I would be even less pleased with a second rep from a game that I don't think clears the bar for assocaition with Nintendo. And no, a port isn't enough in my eyes.

--

100% want

I will be surprised if this does not get a 100% average. I mean, it is more stuff. I do not have much to say.
Well, I think I may have tanked that score just a little bit

--

Noms: Andy x5

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Spear Broth

Chance: 1%. Currently, we only have one unique character from each 3rd party series. I could see FF being the one to break the trend, it's popular and has a rotating cast, like FE. I just doubt it would be a second character from Final Fantsy VII though. There would probably be more people willing to pay for a character from a different game, like Terra or Noctis. Not to mention all the other non-FF Square Enix options (Ederick, 2B, Geno)

Want: Abstain. I've never played Final Fantasy VII (That'll probably change when it releases for Switch)

Noms: Maxwell x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Omnislash fodder

Chance: 15%
A Square Enix Rep feels like a guarantee to me, I’m sure many share that sentiment. Final Fantasy has nearly nothing, and could realistically get another rep to buff up representation. A second FF7 Rep, in particular, could be added to get more FF7 music (there’s hardly any difficulty in finding stages). If there’s a second FF7 rep, it’ll be Sephiroth (sorry Tifa fans). However, will they go for a second FF7 rep? At the very least, I sadly can’t see them going for any other game except maybe Noctis because SE sure likes whoring him out.

Another FF character seems like far from a guarantee. There’s more hype factor and more bang in the buck for a new franchise, even if the character isn’t as legendary as Sephiroth.

Want: 85%
He’s an iconic third party and I’m all for him, but there are some SE characters I want more, sorry.

Nominations: No fan favorites x5

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sephora

Chances: 5%
Wouldn't put it past Squeenix and Sakurai to put another character from VII. The game was that revolutionary.
But chances are still pretty slim
i'm looking at how stingy they were with Cloud having only 2 songs (3 if you count the victory jingle) in Smash 4. But now that we're in Ultimate, not only are the number of tracks the same, we're now short of Chocobo Mii costumes. Maybe Nintendo and Square-Enix want to spend resources on representing other popular series.

Want: 10%
It's like this. I love FFVII. It's my favorite one. Sephiroth is a cool BOSS. But there are other awesome games they could turn their attention to. Heck, maybe Even another FF non 7 Character.

Just from the Legend of the 7 Squares, my preference goes:

DQ Protag (Erdrick, Luminary, etc) > Crono > Slime >>> Geno (personally, he's actually last in how much I care about him, but I put him here because of it comes down to the next two, I rather have Geno for his fans) > Sora > Sephiroth.

Plus, I'm 100% sure he'd break the game if included as a playable character.

As a Boss however...
Want 100%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
PSA: Today is the last day you can influence the top 7.

Ravio x225
Dark Matter x215
Ezio Auditore da Firenze x200
Andy (Advance Wars) x200
Professor Hector x198
Shy Guy x190
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x190

200 - 151

Dante x180
Concept: 100 characters (counting Echo Fighters and Miis/Pokémon Trainer as 3) x175
Concept: World of Light expansion x165
Maxwell (Scribblenauts) x164
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x160

150 - 101

Ryota Hayami x150
Kat & Ana x145
Concept: Style Savvy rep x145
Sly Cooper x140
Hat Kid x140
Magikarp x139
Q*Bert x131
Bonkers (Kirby) x130
Concept: Boss Rush x130
Cranky Kong x130
Poochy x125
Tracer x116
Amy Rose x115
Vaati x115
Brash the Bear x115
Concept: Undertale rep x105
Impa x101
Porky Minch x101

100 - 51

Monster Hunter x100
Nathan Drake x100
Concept: Microsoft Rep x100
Aloy x100
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Lora (Xenoblade) x95
Boss: Kracko x85
Freddi Fish and Luther (Freddi Fish) x75
9-Volt x74
Spyro x67
Creeper x56

50 - 25

Papyrus x41
Frisk x40
[Rerate] Erdrick x40
Ninten x36
Ryu Hayabusa x35
Yuri Lowell x35
Frogger x35
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Noctis Lucis Caelum x30
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Kamek x20
Earthworm Jim x20
Gooey (Kirby) x20
Decidueye x19
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
[Rerate] 2B x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Amaterasu x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Tora and Poppi x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x10
Brian (Quest 64) x10
Reporter & Wrestler x10
Saber (Fate) x10
Tetromino x10
Adeleine (Kirby) x7
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Black Shadow x5
Marx (Kirby) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
King Boo x5
Concept: Master Chief Mii Costume x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Eight (Dragon Quest) x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
Stahl x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Arthas Menethil beats out Dante. Arthas Menethil is once again tied with Shy Guy at sixth place, while Dante falls out of the top 7.

Today’s new concept is Master Chief Mii Costume, with 5 noms.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Makes Dark Pit look like a cutesy bunny
Chance: 0.1%
I'm not to certain on us getting that rumoured Square rep. If we do, he has major competion from other Square characters like Sora, 2B, Erdrick, Slime, Neku, Chrono, fan favourite Mallow and probably other FF characters like Black mage, Terra and Noctis. Most signs are pointing to a certain someone amongst one of these fellows. Regardless, FF has gotten the absolute bare minimum amount of content for two games straight, so it's more than likely not getting anymore characters, especially not someone from the game which is already repped.

Want: 25%
No attachment but I do plan on getting VII when it's available on Switch. He would certainly have to bring One Winged Angle with him which would be pretty dope and his Final Smash would be amazing. Still, he gets points of for being third-party.

SNK rep: 11.68%
100 characters x5

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sephiroth

Chance: 30% He's a top-notch and notable character. FF is pretty much only FFVII as is, and he's one of the most notable options from it. Others exist too, like Barrett and Tifa(though Aerith is my favorite, she's isn't as wanted. I'd love her as a Mii costume, though).

Want: 80%. Mostly cause I worry about his potential ridiculous range. that would make Marth cry. He has the length and knows how to use it.

Nominations: Brian(Quest 64) x2, Slime x3

Prediction: SNK Rep 25%. Absolutely worth noting, but there seems to be more iconic stuff at the moment. Then again, Persona was not an expected series to be represented, so it's hard to say.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sephiroth

Sephiroth is pretty popular so seeing him in Smash wouldn't be too much of a shock now that we have Cloud. Considering recent events however I'm convinced a certain other SE RPG series will have priority over another FF rep. Even if we were to get another FF rep there's also a chance that Sephiroth would have to compete with other popular characters in the series like Terra Branford or Noctis.

Want: 55%
Sephiroth is probably one of the most iconic villains in gaming so I think he deserves a spot on the roster. Also with his inclusion there'd finally be no excuses to not add that song into Ultimate.

SNK rep chance prediction: 11.47% (I have a really big write-up for this day so I hope you all like reading and looking at colorful pictures)

Nominations:
Andy (Advance Wars) x5

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sephiroth
Chance:
25%
Sephiroth has a ton of competition among Squeenix reps, including Dragon Quest, NieR, TWEWY, other Final Fantasy games, and Bravely, not to mention Tomb Raider and other adopted properties. I find it hard to believe that they'd add a second rep specifically from FF7 without dipping into their other franchises first. There's also the question of whether he would work as a playable fighter in a Smash Bros. context with the length of the sword. Even if they shrunk it, could they make it faithful still? That's not a question I can answer. More than anything I feel the competition is too stiff.

Want: 60%
Iconic, amazing villain. One of my favorite antagonists ever. Iconic character from one of the best games ever. And it's coming to Switch! Absolutely, he'd be amazing! Incredible moveset potential, incredible matchup potential when it comes to dream matches, and could bring more Final Fantasy music with him, especially One Winged Angel.

However...I also feel like he's better served as a boss. I'd love him as a classic mode or WoL boss complete with his galaxy-destroying powers and full-sized Masamune. Originally I was all-in on Sephiroth joining the roster and I still wouldn't complain at all if he did but I just feel like a playable role isn't his best possible role because he'd have to be a little nerfed. Also, well...I want to see more variety first before getting a second rep from FF7 even if 7 is an amazing game.

He'd bring some cool stuff with him for sure. Burning Nibelheim as a stage! That'd be awesome! But I'm weirdly conflicted about it all.

Still, I'm just gonna say, you want to talk iconic video game characters all in a single game? You don't get more iconic than Sephiroth. It's to the point that one of his most famous actions was basically a meme like the Thanos Snap is now. You don't stay ingrained in culture to that degree without being iconic.

Nominations: Ryota Hayami x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Original Draco in Leather Pants

Chance: 1%
Want: 1%

Ahh, Square. Scourge of Smash speculation due to their incredible stinginess, particularly now next to the massive amount of content that Street Fighter/Castlevania ended up getting.

There's a 99.9999999999% chance we'll be getting one of the fabled Square Seven, so things are looking good for the one-winged angel. But then again, There's a 99.99% chance that we already know who Brave is, despite having been removed from the data, so I guess it'll fall flat for the king of the bishies.

What doe Sephy have going for him? Iconicness. You don't get any more iconic than him. Heck, I knew who Sephiroth was before I knew who Cloud was, and I still don't like JRPGs. There's a lot of importance he could bring to the series, and if the "Final Fantasy" series really means "Final Fantasy 7," it all still fits. Besides, the biggest arguments against him are amounting to "his sword is too big!" ? Really? Didn't we end all of this 'too big' nonsense back at E3?

But yes, no third party series has gotten a unique second character. Yet. And as much as I'd like Tails to be the trailblazer here, Seph's got the star power to do it.

He'd fit well as a fighter, assist, or boss. Maybe Square could be convinced to put some other content like Spirits in - honestly Cloud feels so awkward in Smash simply because he's the only guest that feels like he was placed solely due to starpower - there is almost no connection through other gameplay that meshes with the rest of the cast like you have with the other third parties.

Now for me, I guess Sephiroth would be my most favored of all the Square properties....and that's not saying much at all. I'm not big on JRPGs AT ALL, and the characters utterly disinterest me. Honestly, I thought Final Fantasy was a series of anime movies when I was a kid since all I knew of them were the boxarts. But still, I can't get excited about any of the Square Seven, so if I was forced to take one, it'd be Sephiroth.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Sepiwrath

How much content did Final Fantasy get in Smash Ultimate? A few songs? One character and stage? No spirits? Yeah, I don't see another character from this series on the table, especially when Square will probably want to rep another series instead of one they already have. Even then, Cloud already gives FF7 something, and on the off chance FF does get more content, another FF game might want it's chance.

I'm gonna base this on the idea that Square was purposely stingy with FF content in the game, solely to lock it behind paid DLC later. Honestly, I don't want to reward that kind of behavior, it feels like such a scummy move. Even on top of that, I'm not much of a Final Fantasy fan. While I do understand how important the series is, Sepiroth as a character... makes more sense as a boss to me, as others have said.

Predictions: SNK
Well, with Street Fighter doing the 'fighting character in the fighting game' already, SNK loses that touch. It also has to compete with Tekken and MK. 4.97%

Noms:
Professor Hector x2
Q*Bert x3

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll try to be a bit more positive and open after some thought that, honestly, there is actually little to no characters I actually hate. (Maybe in later posts since I like this guy a lot :b)
Chance 50%
Sephiroth is not only one of the most popular FF villains, but overall one of the most popular villains around. FF is one of the best selling franchises and SE is a close collaborator of Nintendo as of late. Cloud is in the game already so, if you have a second FF character, Sephiroth is pretty much an added value to Cloud.

That said, his chances depend if Nintendo wants another FF character instead of pursuing another franchise from SE. And SE has a lot of popular franchises that vould get a rep.

Want 95%
He is one of my most wanted picks from SE and in general, only characters that I would like more would be Erdrick/DQ hero and Ryu Hayabusa.

Even if further appearances of Sephiroth have diminished his impact and cheapened his character, he is still a great villain to this day due to his impactful debut. Even time he appeared in the game, it foreshadowed something big was going to happen plotwise plus his ability to mess up big time with Cloud's fragile mind make him quite memorable. Awesome moveset, theme, a few potential stages, he is pretty good overall and would make a great addition to ths series.

Nom Ryu Hayabusa x 5

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
One Winged Angel:
Chance: 10%-He's a really well-known character among gamers in general, that's no lie, and I mentioned before how he's one of the few characters from an already represented franchise that I can see happening, if only because his theme song being absent gives Sakurai a good opportunity to bring him into the roster. Sadly, even though I remained impartial on leak influence, I really do think Erdrick is a lock, and I can't help but think Seph's chances are bad.
Want: 70%-I like him, that's no lie, and I'd love to see how his Masamune's size makes him fare in the game, since many like to put it in the same place as Ridley's size. Also, having him fight against the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf would be a dream come true.
Nominations: Dante x5

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Seth Roth

Chance: 3% - Pretty unlikely at this point. I'm convinced that the rumored SE rep will be from a different franchise, with many signs pointing towards Dragon Quest. Regardless, he is probably the most iconic FF villain, so I guess there's a slim chance he could in to be a rival for Cloud.

Want: Abstain - I don't really care either way. I haven't played FFVII, so I know next to nothing about his character. If he is added, cool. If he isn't, also cool. That said, I think if they were to add another FF character, I'd prefer they were at least from a different game (like Bartz, Terra, or someone else) just to get a bit more variety.

Nominations:
Frogger x5

D

Deleted member

HOW DID HE GET HIS HAIR LIKE THAT

Chance :
Sephiroth is the main villain of Final Fantasy 7, a former SOLDIER turned evil due to gene ****ery. To start, Sephiroth’s iconicity cannot be understated. He is easily one of the most iconic villains in all of gaming, rivalling the likes of Ganondorf. He is pretty much THE JRPG villain. That alone gives him credit to be in Smash. Out of all Square-Enix characters, ol’Sephy would probably one of the easier to negotiate. They got Cloud as DLC last game, so all the people they have to go through to get Sephiroth have been negotiated with before. Cloud already being in might make dealings easier too. With the lack of FF content in Smash currently, a DLC pack potential is certainly there. With Nintendo seemingly aiming for big names this DLC, a character as well-known and beloved as Sephiroth is sure to turn heads all over the world. However, Nintendo may want to expand their horizons in terms of series a bit. Warning, leak talk ahead. A Square character has been rumoured for a rather long time, and recent info suggest a certain draconic quester instead. If this ends up coming to fruition, I doubt Nintendo is gonna want to double-dip with the same third-party in one DLC pass. Furthermore, Cloud is already in the game. With a DLC pack, both Nintendo and Square may prefer to go with a different Square series as DLC, one that promotes something (come on, the remake is never coming out). Gameplay wise, his sword may provide issues, as even in the original it’s rather long. We’ve yet to see a third-party get two unique characters, and I’m just not sure with everything we know Sephiroth is gonna be the one to break that. Any DLC of him is bound to sell though.
15%

Want :
I’ve always thought Sephiroth was a cool villain, at least in the original game. His design and actions feel so imposing. In terms of Smash, he could certainly bring a unique moveset with his materia and long-ass sword. Plus, who doesn’t want to see One-winged Angel in Smash? However, with DLC I’d prefer if we got new third-party series, and even in Final Fantasy I’d prefer characters from games outside of VII. Plus I do think he’s better suited as a boss.
45%
Noms: Ezio x5
TOP 7 BABY

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Sephiroth

Chance: 50 - I think he has a fairly decent chance. No more Final Fantasy music is strange and even though Square is tough to work with, it might be easier to acquire the rights for someone from Final Fantasy than someone from a different series all together since Cloud is already here. I also believe Vergeben when he says there will be another Square character in the game. Only issue I have is that ****ing sword is really god damn long. He also kinda fits the same mold as Joker for speculation, where he isn't the most asked for character but he is someone who people would be excited for and buy

Abstaining on want because I've never played Final Fantasy

Noms:
Cranky Kong x5

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
We've misheard the lyrics to One-Winged Angel at some point in our lives.

Chance: 5%. Something tells me that Dragon Quest is approaching lock status, and thus Sephiroth has a massive hurdle to overcome. However, if we pretend leaks don't exist, Jenova's little boy* is probably the most famous person Square owns besides Mr. Strife. And that's always a plus. Aside from that, he gets the boost of Squeenix character since it's been leaked.

Want: 25%. He's not Arle competition, but aside from that I can't think of any good reason to want him. He looks cool, but honestly if I wanted somebody else from Final Fantasy, I'd take Rydia first, and if it had to be from 7, I'd rather have Barret, Tifa, Aerith, or even Cait Sith (in fact, any of the party members would probably be more interesting and easier to balance). I have played his game, and beaten it and him, but I would not say that Sephiroth was the most integral part of my experience, it was probably Cloud and Cait Sith (don't ask why I used this guy or how he ended up being the party's death machine). He also would open the door for good on second Sonic reps, which are right now my worst-case-scenario (guess why? Albeit, I think Tails and Eggman would be very interesting, but I can't pretend they're not Arle competition, and the next time a Sonic character gets rated I'll explain in greater detail), but that's neither here-nor-there and I won't dock Sephiroth on that.

Ryu Hayabusa x 5, I don't have enough knowledge on SNK to be bold with this but I think a flat 13% should be good.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Sephiroth

Chance: 10%
A second Square Enix rep is highly likely due to the leaks, but I don't think it's going to be Sephiroth due to how lackluster the FF7 content is in Smash. Besides, he has stiff competition with other Square characters like Erdrick, Sora, 2B and Noctis. Still, Sephiroth is fairly popular, probably more so than the characters I mentioned, but given how Square is stingy at this point and the fact that most people think Erdrick is most likely, I don't think he has a chance here.

Want: 50%
I like Sephiroth in the game. He's one of the coolest villain of the Final Fantasy franchise due to his design. As for him getting in Smash, it's highly unlikely, especially since Erdrick is almost a lock due to the leaks. But I DO want him in Smash and it would definitely make me happy.

SNK Rep Prediction: 15.78%

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Sephiroth

Chance: 30%

-He's one of the 7 rumored SE reps right now.
-He's a very iconic villain on both sides of the Pacific.
-That said though, it seems like the SE rep is going to be from DQ, but Sephiroth is easily the runner up.

-Honestly he's on my lower end of villains in FF.
-But it could be interesting what they could do with his Katana

Nominate DLC Story Expansion x5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
The Biggest Of Swords
CHance: 10%: He has to much competition. SOra, Geno, Crono, DQ, Black Mage, Noctis, Squall, Neku. All would work.
Want:50%: IMO Black Mage would be better. Def runner-up tho.
Nominations: Shy Guy x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Sepheroth

Chance - 7.5% - I think they would try to get another franchise from Square before double dipping their francises. He's iconic, but given how stingy geting any character is, I don't think it wise.

Want - 35% - I would much prefer Black Mage. I don't care about Sepheroth, either.

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Sephiroth

I don't think Sephiroth has a chance to become the second Square Enix rep that we are getting as DLC, especially since most leaks lean towards Erdrick as the possible choice. Besides, even if Erdrick is out of the equation, he still has competition from other SE characters like Sora, Neku, Noctis or 2B. Even then, Square is rather stingy when it comes to their properties, so I don't think this helps Sephiroth or any SE characters at all.

Sephiroth is cool and all, but when it comes to a Square Enix rep, I'd rather have it from a different series instead. Although, it could be interesting to see how he would work in Smash, with his long-ass sword and everything. I can imagine him having Supernova as his Final Smash.

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Seth Rollins
Chance: 0.01%
Considering the lack of FF content in Smash, Sephiroth getting in doesn't make any sense. We're lucky that Cloud is still in the game. If we get another Square Enix character, it would probably be from another one of their other major franchises instead of yet another FF character.
I prefer getting characters from new franchises instead of already represented ones. Plus, I just don't like Sephiroth that much. Edit: I also apparently don't know how to spell his name.

SNK prediction: 10%
Noms: Erdrick x5

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Don't forget Mortal Kombat X which had 2 Kombat Packs. Every pack contained 2 MK characters and 2 horror movie characters such as Jason and Xenomorph.

Good. Now count how many of those are Nintendo games.

Sephiroth

Final Fantasy 7 is an important game, and Sephiroth is an iconic character. But Square Enix has a really deep library of games for Nintendo to pick from, which becomes attractive considering how difficult it seems to wring out any more Final Fantasy content for Smash Bros.

Want: 0.1%
Let's not double-dip at all, especially not for this guy. Sephiroth wasn't on any wishlist of note, especially when Cloud himself was a distant enough pipe dream, and his time as the cool anime character of the internet has kind of passed.

Prediction
SNK rep: 12%

Nominations
Hat Kid x5

D

Deleted member

GOSH DARNIT SMASH BOARDS WHY HAVEN'T YOU GIVEN ANY NOTIFICATIONS FOR THIS FOR 3 SMASH DAYS!?!?!??!?!?! STOP IT!!!!!! I ONLY FOUND OUT THERE'S BEEN POSTINGS BY LOOKING AT LATEST POSTS!!! PLEASE GIVE MY NOTIFICATIONS!!!!

Sephiroth
Chance: 0%,
I say this because it seems that Square Enix is really iffy with Smash Representation. they only allowed one person to show up (Cloud) because of absolute fan cry and even at that they only allowed Nintendo TWO Songs, and a battlefield stage. In Ultimate if it was true (I think I heard there was) only 1 spirit from Square Enix and that was Cloud's Fighter Spirit. It seems they only allowed Cloud in just for Money. yes Sephiroth is iconic (somewhat) and Final Fantasy's Villain Mascot, it seems that so far, no 3rd party has ever gotten their villains as a playable fighter. And I think if there was a first it would be Dr. Eggman. Sephiroth is not up high to get in. Secondly Reggie said something like everyone in the DLC will be new, and we already have Final Fantasy in Smash, and even if we didn't we ALL know we would get Cloud instead of the main Villain.
Want: 0%, I would rather have Dr. Eggman. Plus if we were to get another Final Fantasy character I would rather have Noctis.

Nominations: Freddi Fish and Luther x5

EDIT: up top where I was complaining about not getting notifications, I accidently spelled "I ONLY FOUND OUT THERE'S..." and somehow managed to butcher the word ONLY with NOYL... NOYL!?!? How!? anyway I fixed it.

Top Bottom