• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Concept: Gen 8 Pokemon

Chance: 15%
I don't think we're getting a Gen 8 Pokemon as DLC, especially since Game Freak has no word for it yet and we literally have no idea what it would be like. Maybe in a second wave of DLC (assuming there IS one) will we able to see a Gen 8 Pokemon as a likely candidate, but for now, it's not looking great unless Nintendo planned themselves ahead.

Want: 50%
I actually don't mind having a Gen 8 Pokemon in Smash, whatever that will be. But, with the way DLC works, I don't think we're getting any Gen 8 Pokemon anytime soon. Besides, there are other first party characters I want first before them, even if they're also unlikely in this wave of DLC.

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Gen 8 Pokemon
Chance: 5%
I think that on the list of possible promotional picks for 1st party characters the Gen 8 Pokemon seems like the least likely. We already got Incineroar and compared to the others (Sylux, Porky, Poochy, Edelgard) Pokemon is one we know the least about. MP4 was (at the time of the DLC decision process) planned to be released sometime this year, Yoshi has his game early this year, FE:TH was planned to release early this year. Compared to that all we know about Pokemon is that it is coming, it just doesn't seem as likely for promotional purposes. And this is all on top of a promotional pick already being pretty unlikely.

Want: 40%
I like Pokemon and as long as the Pokemon they pick is cool I wouldn't mind. Kinda hard to rate though without knowing anything about them.

Prediction: More DLC 25%
I think people will rate this much higher than it should be just because it's something they want.

Nomination: Ravio x5

Concerning the discussion Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 were having, I think actually you kinda are both right. There is no denying that Pokemon is getting a slot held for them each game, Sakurai has outright told us this, but I don't think it's fair to call it an advertising pick because Pokemon outsells Smash by a huge margin. If anything it's probably more likely the other way around, they put a Pokemon in Smash to try and help sell Smash to the millions of Pokemon fans. Pokemon exists as this perfect storm of circumstances that makes it 100% reasonable that they would get a slot held for them, crazy popular, each new game introduces tons of new characters, and games releasing frequent enough to always be relevant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Concerning the discussion Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth and GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 were having, I think actually you kinda are both right. There is no denying that Pokemon is getting a slot held for them each game, Sakurai has outright told us this, but I don't think it's fair to call it an advertising pick because Pokemon outsells Smash by a huge margin. If anything it's probably more likely the other way around, they put a Pokemon in Smash to try and help sell Smash to the millions of Pokemon fans. Pokemon exists as this perfect storm of circumstances that makes it 100% reasonable that they would get a slot held for them, crazy popular, each new game introduces tons of new characters, and games releasing frequent enough to always be relevant.
Though that would be my point; it's not for the sake of advertisement. It's for the sake of making Smash do well, because Pokemon love the series. You could argue it's to help advertise Smash, but to advertise Pokemon? Not even close.

Unless that's what GoodGrief meant, but that doesn't seem to be the case?

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Though that would be my point; it's not for the sake of advertisement. It's for the sake of making Smash do well, because Pokemon love the series. You could argue it's to help advertise Smash, but to advertise Pokemon? Not even close.

Unless that's what GoodGrief meant, but that doesn't seem to be the case?
Idk but I think they were correct in talking about the Pokemon quota. I think they hold a slot for Pokemon because they know the games will be popular and they want to include one from the most recent game while it's still popular, a benefit no other series seems to enjoy. I think that is why people think they are "shill" picks, even if I don't agree with that thinking I can kinda understand it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Idk but I think they were correct in talking about the Pokemon quota. I think they hold a slot for Pokemon because they know the games will be popular and they want to include one from the most recent game while it's still popular, a benefit no other series seems to enjoy. I think that is why people think they are "shill" picks, even if I don't agree with that thinking I can kinda understand it.
No, I agreed with the quota bit. I think you missed that bit?

He makes quotas sometimes. It's how Zero Suit Samus got in, cause he just wanted another Metroid character. I don't think these are bad things either. But I also don't think the words "shill picks" should even be used. It's super dismissive of character's good merits. Steve, Erdrick, Luminary, etc. And I don't even want a DQ Protagonist. I want Slime. But those characters are awesome on their own and should be respected for who they are. I can get some points against Steve, as his movements are problematic, and his design arguably clashes with Smash(but I think his cleaned up version from the box art fixes that, so YMMV), but stuff like moveset potential is used poorly as an argument. Saying someone has none is false. Saying you don't understand the potential is fair. I don't expect everyone to know what they can do and that's unfair to think they should always know that. That's why they can learn, as many are willing to help explain stuff. :)

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
I'm gonna have to abstain on both chance and want for this one.

We really have nothing to go on other than it's coming out in 2019. Metroid Prime 4 must've had some major development hell to dump the old build and start anew with Retro Studios. And Fire Emblem: Three Houses remains an enigma with info of that game still scarce. Gamefreak tends to do things their way, but if there's no info on Gen 8 after E3 2019, some red flags are gonna be raised for concern.

Most people are convinced this Fighter Pass is just gonna be all third-party. Don't be a Sith, people. But they're willing to humor the idea of a second Fighter Pass with Nintendo characters. A second Fighter Pass happening is not guaranteed. It's 50/50.

Even as a concept, it just doesn't feel right to rate it now since the game's themselves haven't been officially announced. We don't even know what they're gonna be called. All I can find is some random website claiming Gen 8 is gonna be set in London. I feel it would be better to come back to this later on when we have something tangible to go on. I have a feeling people are just gonna flock to the grass starter for the sake of type diversity.

Boss Rush x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
No, I agreed with the quota bit. I think you missed that bit?

He makes quotas sometimes. It's how Zero Suit Samus got in, cause he just wanted another Metroid character. I don't think these are bad things either. But I also don't think the words "shill picks" should even be used. It's super dismissive of character's good merits. Steve, Erdrick, Luminary, etc. And I don't even want a DQ Protagonist. I want Slime. But those characters are awesome on their own and should be respected for who they are. I can get some points against Steve, as his movements are problematic, and his design arguably clashes with Smash(but I think his cleaned up version from the box art fixes that, so YMMV), but stuff like moveset potential is used poorly as an argument. Saying someone has none is false. Saying you don't understand the potential is fair. I don't expect everyone to know what they can do and that's unfair to think they should always know that. That's why they can learn, as many are willing to help explain stuff. :)
Ehh I think it would be too naive to say none of the characters are ever considered to "shill" a little bit, I'm sure several characters were selected in hopes of boosting their appeal and leading to sales of their home game. But its never going to be the only reason someone gets selected, of that I agree with you, they all will have merit of their own that warranted their inclusion past just advertising.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ehh I think it would be too naive to say none of the characters are ever considered to "shill" a little bit, I'm sure several characters were selected in hopes of boosting their appeal and leading to sales of their home game. But its never going to be the only reason someone gets selected, of that I agree with you, they all will have merit of their own that warranted their inclusion past just advertising.
So far, that actually applies to Roy and Corrin at best. It's more the usage of the term is extremely demeaning and has no purpose other than to dismiss a character in the poorest way possible. It serves no constructive purpose.

I agree advertisement-related picks are normal, of course. And I don't think they're an issue either, because it's never the sole reason a Smash character gets in.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Gen 8 Pokemon

Chance: 10%
Not an impossible choice. Considerations of exposure aside (as if Nintendo would ever think Pokemon, of all franchises, needed exposure), there's just no telling what kind of characters the Gen 8 Pokemon might be. I've said this before - regardless of how much its incredible popularity factors into things, Pokemon is still the one Nintendo franchise that always has new and unique fighter concepts for Smash to work with, concepts that other franchises can't offer because they don't feature such arrays of characters at all.

We don't know anything about Gen 8. How can we say, then, that none of its starring Pokemon would make for a good Smash candidate, if not a great one?

Given the precedent set by Joker, however, it's much more believable that we'll be getting an established name instead of a relative newcomer. If Gen 8 doesn't luck out on a second DLC season, then you can bet that it'll be joining the ranks of Gen 3 and Gen 5 as a generation too poorly mistimed to get a Smash candidate.

Want: 10%
Let's....stick to the headline-making third-parties, thank you. Even Pokemon assumes much if it thinks a preview character is on the same level as that.

Nominations
Hat Kid x5

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Concept: Gen 8 Pokémon

Chance: 15%
I don't think this as an impossibility even though a common argument is that they don't know which Pokémon are popular yet. With that in mind however, the vibe I'm getting from the DLC plan is that characters will be unexpected or from franchises typically not represented in Smash. Although 4 had multiple Fire Emblem newcomers, I don't see us getting multiple Pokémon this cycle.

Want: 0%
I am not interested in another Pokémon rep tbh, let alone one from a game that's not out yet. The important ones are here in my opinion, and the other interesting older ones have zero chance of getting in at this point I think. So I'll stick to interesting third parties.

Noms:
Shy Guy x5

D

Deleted member

New Pokemon that we don't know nothing about?

Hmmm,
Want: Abstain
I don't know how the new Pokemon would look or if I'm going to like them, so its pretty hard to make judgement on something we don't have any info.

Chance: 50%
Chance for this one is interesting. I think that as long as there is a second season DLC for Smash or more DLC incoming, their chances go higher as they become more attractive to the game. It's 50/50 for me since at this time we don't have any info regarding new DLC and there is as much possibility that there's more DLC as there's no more incoming. If DLC stops, only if the Pokemon in question becomes super popular it has a chance in the next game.

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Advertising or no, the fact remains that they hold open a slot specifically for a recent Pokémon, and this causes problems because they're intentionally disregarding a whole load of characters just to fulfill a pinpointed quota. The question is no longer "which Nintendo character has the best merits" but rather "which among a small subset of Nintendo characters, each of which we know little about and have no guarantee of their popularity, has the best merits."

In the case of Incineroar, the wrestling attribute has nothing to do with whether or not Gen 7 was getting a rep. Gen 7 was getting a rep regardless of how well Incineroar and Decidueye specifically appealed to Sakurai. Sakurai knew that out of the dozens of new mons added in Gen 7, he'd be able to make a moveset for at least one and so he made a quota for it. At best, the wrestling attribute was why Incineroar was picked over Decidueye. That's pretty much it.

As to why Sakurai only considered these two, we can guess that Primarina was considered less feasible to represent properly and, more crucially, they only considered starters because they were the safest bets. And this is part of the problem; it's hard to know which characters will be the most popular and iconic before the game releases, so they have to guess. In this scenario, it makes sense to only consider starters because they're almost surely going to have at least modest popularity. You could also argue that the concept art for starters might be done before other mons, but in this case you have the same problem of restricting yourself to a small subset of the possible choices by committing to something too recent. And again, given that you're already committed to picking a new Pokémon, restricting to starters makes at least some sense, but having to narrow it down like this is part of the problem of picking characters when they're too recent. You might miss a really iconic character because of it.

For example, a lot of really awesome Gen 3 mons got entirely skipped over because of the number of years there were between Melee and Brawl. But thankfully there isn't a single Gen 3 mon that stands head and shoulders above the rest (at least in my view of it, although there are a handful of really good choices and it's a shame we couldn't get even one) and at least Lucario worked out, so we still got something decent in exchange for that oversight. And in theory, a standout Gen 3 mon could hypothetically still be added in a Smash game after Brawl, but the continued restriction of only picking the most recent pretty much blots out this possibility. And it's not just with Gen 3 of Pokémon; it's other stuff like Golden Sun and Fire Emblem 7 that get killed by this faulty decision-making process. ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 got ousted by this as well; they may have been too recent for the base roster and that's all fine and dandy, but there's no reason that they couldn't be added in DLC or, if DLC was decided too early as well, a future Smash game. However, both Spring Man and Rex are probably going to be pretty unlikely for a hypothetical Smash 6, bar another appearance of either between now and then, and it's because of this recency bias. They won't be the newest anymore, and will likely be ignored unless they get another appearance somehow. Basically, "bad timing" is a poor excuse for excluding a character; it's nothing that can't be rectified later, but unfortunately Sakurai and Nintendo refuse to do so in many cases.

Finally, Sakurai's words on Incineroar:
"When planning began around December of 2015, I had resolved that I had to have all kinds of fighters in the game. Generally, though, I can’t really add a character from a game that hasn’t come out yet to the roster… So, I left one character frame open for Pokémon, and after Pokémon: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon came out I took another look at it. That resulted in Incineroar being chosen. I wanted to try making a pro-wrestler type character at least once!"

There's pretty much nothing here to suggest that he gave himself a way to wiggle out of the commitment to adding a Gen 7 Pokémon. And, at least in the way that I interpret this particular translation, the wrestler statement was kind of a throw-in interjection just to add a little bit to the justification. It's basically like saying "plus the character's cool, so try him out!" There's no guarantee from this statement that the wrestler attribute had much to do with the choice at all; at best it helped Incineroar get chosen over Decidueye.

Edit: when I say that there's no single Gen 3 mon that stands out, I mean that there's a lot of good choices and so support hasn't rallied around a single one, which is not to say that no Gen 3 mon deserves to be repped

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over

I want to apologize for another double day. I have had a family crisis this past week.

Today we have the concept of more stages outside the fighter pass. Self explanatory.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Day over

I want to apologize for another double day. I have had a family crisis this past week.

Today we have the concept of more stages outside the fighter pass. Self explanatory.
Sorry to hear about that. Hope it got/gets sorted out.

Wasn’t today’s concept More DLC? Then Stages tomorrow?

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Stages
Chance:50%: Honestly this makes a ton of sense. Kinda of inn a Splatoon style but with stages.
want:100%: Gimme more stages. Please gimme Radical Highway and Mega Man X's opening stage and heck even the world That Never Was. But
Nominations: Shy Guy x5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Non-Pass Stage DLC

Chance: 10%
I don't see a whole lot coming outside of the fighter pass. Mii costumes are fairly low effort, so I see them as the only exception. Stages take far more work, especially with the level of detail all the stages have now.

Want: 100%
Getting so many great stages back is great, but the number of new stages is just too few. Who can say no to more locations to play in? Not me, I hope to be surprised and my chance score proven wrong.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
stages outside fighter pass
Chance: 85%
This happened during Smash 4 DLC with stages like Mario Maker, Pirate ship and the N64 stages that weren't related to the DLC characters. There are still a handful of Stages left they could add without that much issue like Woolly World and 3DS Rainbow Road.

Want: 90%
The more the merrier I suppose. It kinda depends on the price for me.

More DLC: 41.75%
100 characters x5

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
moar stages plz

Chance: 25%
Yeah, I'm not super confident in it. It seems like a no-brainer as a way of porting over old stages that missed the boat for the base game, but then again, this is Nintendo we're talking about here. If they always went with the obvious decisions, we'd probably have Odyssey and MK8D DLC by now. I'll chalk it up to "it's possible".
I mean, why the hell not? It's more content. Plus, it's pretty much the only viable way of getting Poke Floats back at this point, and I'll take whatever chance I can get on that front.

Gooey x5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Aren't we supposed to rate Concept: More DLC today?

Well, whatever...

Concept: More Stages outside Fighter Pass

Seeing as how Smash 4 had added some stages included through an update, there's a chance they might do so in Ultimate. However, I still have some doubts about it. For one, what else is there to add? I mean, I can definitely see a Tropical Freeze stage and Wolly World stage, but other than that, I can't really think of any more stages that needs to be in Smash, especially since almost every stage made it's return.

Want: 80%
I don't mind them adding more stages in Ultimate through an update just like the way they did to Smash 4. The more stages, the more fun it is to play Smash.

More DLC Prediction: 20.77%

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x5

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
Chance: 25%.
Pretty much everything I could say has already been said by somebody else. They've done it before in Smash 4, so why not?

Obviously more stages is never a bad thing. So of course anybody would want this!

Noms: Yuri Lowell x5

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
More Stages as DLC
Chance: 40%
I'm almost completely on the fence for this one, on the one hand I'm still not sure if I think we're getting any more DLC than what they have told us about but on the other hand stages are something they have added before as DLC. The only reason I'm leaning less likely than more is that they didn't make a big push to add stages this game so they might feel that 108 is plenty.

Want: 70%
I like having stage options but 108 is quite a few so I don't exactly feel like I need more than that. But I wouldn't exactly turn it down either.

Prediction: I think I already predicted more DLC in my last post
Nomination: Ravio x5

Day over

Hey sorry to hear that, if you need any of us to help take care of things around here for a bit just let us know. I'm more than happy to help.

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
More Stages

Chance: 20%
It could happen and has precedent from last time, but they seem to be branding the Fighter Pass as the main event for DLC this time. They just might be content with what they already have in Ultimate.

Want: 20%
It would fix the severe lack of new stages in Ultimate. However, with 108 stages I feel that they've already gone overboard in that department. For new stages, I'm content to wait until the next Smash game when they'll probably cut some of the past stages in order to make room for new ones. Also, most of the new stages I'd like aren't the kind that we'd get in DLC; most of my stage requests would be tied to particular characters that I'd like to be in the game. It wouldn't make sense to get those stages without their corresponding newcomer.

Noms: Andy x5

D

Deleted member

WELCOME TO THE STAGE OF HISTORY

Chance :
On the stage select screen, in addition to the 5 slots already there for the pass, there’s 1 extra slot for something else. Last game, we got a fair number of additional stages separate from the regular DLC, so the concept has already been done before. This extra slot could very well be there for a bonus stage coming separate from the pass. Granted, it could also be for something else such as a ‘more DLC’ button or something for the Stage Builder. They might also want to lower workload by just having the pass. But right now, I’d say this has a chance.
45%

Want :
I mean, more stages isn’t really a bad thing. There are quite a few stages I’d like to see come back, and it could be a nice way to represent series that don’t have a character, like Rhythm Heaven. Although there might be some stages in not really a huge fan of I suppose.
90%
Noms: Ezio x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
More Stages

Chance: 40 - We got it last time, so I suppose we could get it again. Don't feel like adding Wooly World or something is going to be that big of a priority though, so I could see them just deciding not to since we already have 103 stages in the game and they might be fine with that.

Want: 20 - All my favorite stages made the cut other than Pokefloats, which I don't think is coming back. Can't say I'm bothered if they do this or not to be honest

Noms:
Cranky Kong x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
More Stages
Chance:
50%
Solidly down the middle here. Originally I was going to say absolutely, but on further reflection every stage being back in Smash makes it hard to pin down anything when previously a big number of free stage DLC was either promotional (Woolly World, which was going to be an Epic Yarn stage anyway) or returning (Pirate Ship). Now, there's plenty of games coming out where a promotional stage rather than character would be fun but I feel like they may feel that 108 stages is enough, and to be fair they're right.

Yes! I love content, I love new content, I love free content. This could be a great way to incorporate elements of games that didn't make the character cut while allowing for further support. I know my favorite first party picks of Style Savvy and Wave Race have little chance of making it in as character reps, but a boutique or Dolphin Park as stages would be absolutely wonderful. I'd love to see the return of a Woolly or Crafted Yoshi stage, too, even if Poochy may not make DLC. It's just a good idea all around, and I'm definitely on board.

Nominations: Style Savvy Rep x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I ran noms, won’t rate until TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom gives the word on what to do.

Ravio x210
Dark Matter x205
Professor Hector x191
Ezio Auditore da Firenze x190
Andy (Advance Wars) x185
Dante x175
Shy Guy x175
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x175

200 - 151

Concept: World of Light expansion x165
Concept: 100 characters (counting Echo Fighters and Miis/Pokémon Trainer as 3) x165
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x155
Maxwell (Scribblenauts) x154

150 - 101

Ryota Hayami x150
Kat & Ana x145
Sly Cooper x135
Concept: Style Savvy rep x135
Bonkers (Kirby) x130
Hat Kid x130
Magikarp x129
Q*Bert x128
Poochy x125
Concept: Boss Rush x125
Cranky Kong x120
Amy Rose x115
Vaati x115
Brash the Bear x115
Tracer x111
Concept: Undertale rep x105
Impa x101
Porky Minch x101

100 - 51

Monster Hunter x100
Nathan Drake x100
Concept: Microsoft Rep x100
Aloy x100
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Lora (Xenoblade) x95
Boss: Kracko x85
Freddi Fish and Luther (Freddi Fish) x75
9-Volt x74
Spyro x67

50 - 25

Creeper x50
Papyrus x41
Frisk x40
Ryu Hayabusa x35
Ninten x32
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Noctis Lucis Caelum x30
Yuri Lowell x30
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25
Frogger x25
[Rerate] Erdrick x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Kamek x20
Earthworm Jim x20
Decidueye x19
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
[Rerate] 2B x15
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Amaterasu x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Tora and Poppi x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x10
Brian (Quest 64) x10
Reporter & Wrestler x10
Saber (Fate) x10
Tetromino x10
Gooey (Kirby) x10
Adeleine (Kirby) x7
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Black Shadow x5
Marx (Kirby) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
King Boo x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Eight (Dragon Quest) x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
Stahl x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Pretty big shakeup at the top 7. A lot of things looked like they were gonna go one way but ended up going a completely different one. Andy advances past Dante to take 5th place. Shy Guy and Arthas Menethil don’t break their tie, but they climb enough to drag Dante into it.

No fan favorites and Maxwell cross 150 noms.

Frogger and Erdrick leap to 25 noms.

Today’s newcomers are Gooey (with 10 noms) and King Boo (with 5).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I can't really poke fun at this concept...

Chance: 50%. I feel like it's a total coinflip based on where the DLC goes. It could be in its own section on the roster, which is a no, or it could continue the current stage roster we have right now, which means it's more likely than not to be filled, but only slightly. Stages do take lots of dev time.

Want: 80%. It'd be better for series that don't need a character to be represented, but there's no series I can mention without fans of that one getting upset. Aside from that, I think that it'll be great to have, cause more stages mean more ways to play. I'd imagine it'd be mostly for already repped series that didn't get a new one (looking at you, Pokemon), if the Fighters Pass is mostly comprised of new series (I expect 2 more).

Sly Cooper x 5. See my previous post here for my prediction of More DLC, which I personally do not believe in.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Stages

Chance: 60%
Honestly I would not be surprised if they added more stages attached to nothing. They did it in 4. Only reason I think it's far from guaranteed is that we have an absolute butt load of stages already so I could see them really focusing on the stages that come with the DLC fighters.

Want: 90%
Always down for more stages. Specifically if they added more stages that were viable to be tourney legal with hazards off would be pretty neat. "Short and sweet" stages would be pretty awesome because those are the ones I play on.

Noms: Shy Guy x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Stages outside of Fighter Pass

I think we're bound to get at least 1 bonus stage down the line. I don't think they're as hard to make as fighters and it'd be a nice bonus for the fans. A new stage could also be used for a promotion purpose (like the Miiverse and Mario Maker stages in SSB4) without the need of using excessive resources on a new character.

More stages is always a good thing. I'd especially love to see some more stages from first party games. Some specific stages I'd love to see would be the Cyrkensia Opera House from FE Fates, World Bowser from Super Mario 3D World, and any type of Ganon castle level.

Nominations:
Andy (Advance Wars) x5

D

Deleted member

More stages with no characters included...

Chance 50%
Considering 4 development and the appearance of stages as DLC, it wouldn't surprise me if there's a few. It could also be a situation where we don't actually get them due to being developing new characters with stages included.

Want 80%
Its pretty much additional content that may be pretty cool playing on. Especially new concepts from the current franchises, including from upcoming games from these franchises. Would only prefer new characters though.
Noms: Ravio x 5 seems interesting (Out of curiosity, has Linkle been discussed?)

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Meta Crystal Still Has a Chance:

Chance: 50% - We had separate stage DLC in Smash 4, so I can see it happening this time around. I don't really expect Meta Crystal to come back...sadly...but I can see some other stages coming back, and maybe we'll get new ones like a Yoshi's Crafted World stage. It could go either way, though, so I'm not sure.

Want: 100% - We already have 103 stages or 300+ if you count each stage's alternate forms, but I wouldn't mind new stages and would probably like them as well. If we were to get any I don't care about, I'd just be thinking "okay."

Nominations:

Creeper x3
Ninten x2

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Welp, might as well rate

Chance: 20%
It did happen for 4, but I’m sensing some ‘I’m tired and too old for this ****’ vibes from Sakurai, so he might just wanna do the 5 and call it a day. Still, maybe 2.0 comes with a stage, or some old stages that didn’t make the cut are drip fed to us.

Poke Floats and that Brawl DK stage please. Jungle Hijinx is a dream, but with stage morph I get it doesn’t work (please cut Stage Morph for Smash 6, it’s great but it’s not worth losing Jungle Hijinx). Also, if we get stages without characters then we might get a Minecraft stage with no Steve, which means no Steve, which is a good thing.

Noms: No fan favorites x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Stages

Chance - 60%. I'm rating this abnormally high, because I feel we have to have at least one more stage left. The CSS has six slots left open for stages. The 5 DLC characters take up 5 of those slots, so that would leave one.

Want: 100%. More is always better, right? There are a few stages I want to return, like Wooly World and Rainbow Road. I'd also like to see new stages, especially for Kirby and Pokemon because it's weird they didn't get new ones in the base game.

Noms: Maxwell x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Since it doesn't matter anymore, I'm gonna post my extremely late rating.

Free Stages!
Chance: 75%

We got loads of them in Smash 4, so why not Ultimate? They could release them in between fighters pass seasons, or release them whenever the hell they want. Since it's not a guarantee, it's only a 75% chance. But who wouldn't want free stages? They could add Banjo with a stage in the fighters pass, and add a Minecraft stage separately without Steve joining the roster. It works out perfectly imo without causing outrage. Stages are one of the best parts of the game, and without them, it wouldn't be Smash.

I'm guessing More DLC is tomorrow? If so, keep my same prediction.

Magikarp x5

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
More stages:
Chance: 25%-Since there's still one empty space in the SSS even if you add the five that will come with the Fighters Pass, I suppose there's at least one more to come. But considering the last time I gave stages a chance (no more stages), I'm not too confident on it.
Want: 50%-I'm just neutral on it. They're stages after all, and I have no special desires for them, but hey, they may be nice.
Nominations: Dante x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
That thing I nommed
We got them in Smash 4, so it could happen again. The only things that concern me is that we already have a lot of stages and the stage select screen will be mostly filled up after the Fighter pass characters release.
We already have a generous amount of stages, but more is always nice. I want Rainbow Road back, dang it!

Prediction: same as before
Noms: Erdrick x5

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
More Stages

Chance: 30% - Outside of the fighter pass, I'm not entirely sure this will happen. There'll be one square left on the stage selection screen though once the fighter pass is done, so maybe at least one other stage could be added.

Want: 100% - Why not? I'd love to see some more new stages, especially since there were technically only a few "new" ones added to Ultimate. Sure it was cool to get almost all of the past stages back, but of course even more wouldn't be a bad thing by any means. I know it's a separate thing, but could we also get Stage Builder back too while we're at it? Please?

Nominations:
Frogger x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Extra-pack Stages

What can I say, I love more content!

Nintendo knows we’d love to buy more stages. It’s such an easy moneymaker, it’s not even funny. But as we’re gonna get tomorrow, Sakurai may be done.

Sm4sh did have stages, so there’s precedent. But all of those stages we got were classics returning. At this point, there are only a few stages that didn’t make it back, and a lot of those with reasons not to.

Now once everything is filled with our 5 DLCs, we’ll have one more slot. It seems easy enough for that to be a ‘next page’ like they did in Sm4sh, if they wanted to. Again, I think the only potential roadblock here would be how long they intend to support the DLC.

I really want Rainbow Road and (a modified to work) Pac Maze back. But I’d really love to see some new things as well - we only got four new stages with Ultimate, and there are some we sorely need:
  • A villainous Mario stage (Bowser castle)
  • A non-jungle DK level (Frantic Factory, maybe with some DK64 tunes)
  • Literally any Fire Emblem stage
  • An urban Sonic stage (Tails! Tails! Tails)
  • Tetris. Seriously, we need a Tetris stage.
We’ll see. It’s an obvious move, but we’ll see how much Nintendo likes money...

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Stages DLC

Chance - 25% - Having the characters closely tied with stages makes me think they are going to dedicate their resources to the packages rather than individual things. We have president for last game, but we have a feeling that Sakurai is tired, and we don't know how much further we need to go. While I don't view it as out of the question, I don't think it's very likely at all.

Want - 80% - I can't exactly be enthused by this, but who can say no to more? I can find and pick out what I want, and more stages never hurt anyone.

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

Top Bottom