• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Grovyle

Chance: 0 - Mystery Dungeon does not seem like a strong candidate for a DLC rep. If you want to tell me the series could get a base roster rep I'd even be kinda skeptical about that to be honest. But for a character people have to pay money for? Nope. Not seeing it. Honestly wasn't aware Mystery Dungeon games were still a thing until I checked.

Want: 0 - If there were unlimited spots I'd be ok with it, but we only have 4 spots left for DLC right now. With all the other cool possibilities out there I have to pass.

Noms:
Cranky Kong x5

Last edited:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Grovyle

Chance: 1% - I'm not even that into Pokemon but I know this ain't happening. Regardless of the character, I don't see any Pokemon getting in as DLC.

Want: 0% - Like I said, I'm not a huge Pokemon fan by any means. I'd rather get some more variety as far as the DLC characters go, especially since each new token Pokemon rep just keeps getting increasingly more boring and lackluster.

Nominations:
Frogger x5

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Grovyle:
Chance: 0%-Let's see:
*Just an important character in one Mystery Dungeon game that's close to being 10 years old.
*No pokémon in the game represents that series, so no reason to suddenly expect one.
*He's not recent as well.
*Not even popular among the general Pokémon fandom either.
*Let me just list a few Gen 3 pokémon that are probably more well-known or popular: Sceptile, Blaziken, Swampert, Gardevoir, Flygon, Absol, Metagross, Salamence, Latios & Latias, the Regi trio, the box legendaries and Deoxys. Why not get one of those instead? And yes, I know some are poké ball assists already.

Want: 0%-I never got into Mystery Dungeon, it just never convinced me gameplay-wise, and story isn't something that interests me either. Not to mention, Gen 3 is my favourite Pokémon generation, so I'd rather have someone else do the job for that.

Nominations: Dante x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Gross and Vile

Chance: 10%. I'm not a fool, with 1st parties as a whole looking unlikely, why would they choose a character from a Pokemon Spinoff 10 years ago? But there are some things making me think it might not be impossible. The Treeko line is completely absent from the game, not even a spirit. This confuses me, as Sceptile was a very popular Pokemon in the ballot era. Seeing as how they paid attention to the ballot (:ultridley: and :ultkrool:, the Issac Assist Trophy, etc), you would think there would be some reference to the line, but nope. It doesn't make sence, unless they were planning one to be DLC. And of the 3, Grovyle would make the most sense to make playable, seeing as how it could potentially advertise a PMD game/remake. The spinoffs also have pathetic representation, maybe it's because it'll be added as DLC?

Want: 95%. I loved PMD2, so a character would be very nice to have, not to mention the potential stage or music. He could have an interesting moveset, with all the items and tiles in the PMD series. It would also be nice to have another grass type.

Noms: Maxwell x5

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Sarcastic Name

Chance: 5%. We have several Pokemon. Adding another one to fulfill a hypothetical element triangle is silly. It's even sillier now Ivysaur is back. Also, Sceptile and Grovyle look silly. I don't enjoy them.

Want: Abstain. I've never played Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Noms: Ryota Hayami x5

LYD

Smash Rookie
Grovyle

Chance: 1%
Yeah, pretty unlikely, really. Grovyle has plenty of competition when it comes to Pokémon and even with Sceptile who performed a lot better in the ballot from what I know. Even then, a gen 8 Pokémon feels like the likely choice, honestly.

Want: 51%
While I do prefer Sceptile, a new Pokémon is always welcome in my book (save a handful of exceptions), and Grovyle would do a pretty good job at giving Mistery Dungeon some sort of representation. That being said, there’s still a dozen or two of Pokémon I’d like to see before Grovyle.

Nominations: Ravio x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I’m back, let’s talk

He’s (probably) a Spirit. All DLC will (probably) be third party. Not really relevant or popular, so not the kind of character that sells DLC anyways.

Now can we talk about the deplorable state of Pokémon representation?

I used to be a big Pokémon fan. I had a falling out, not for any reason, just X and Y never captured me like Black & White did and despite always meaning to, I never bought Sun & Moon. So I’m not a Pokémon fan. Despite that, I just feel like it must suck to be a Pokémon fan that wants their favorite in Smash. Representation is tokenistic and biased towards recency. Only the latest generation gets a new Pokémon, so if your favorite misses the train, that’s it. That’s basically the fear of every Smash fan, but for Pokémon fans it’s way worse because the fandom is so split. K. Rool can manage to get in because, besides the massive fandom, there aren’t many other DK characters anyway. With Pokémon though, no matter how much a fanbase manages to rally, there will still be a new guy that they want to shill. Even for fans of Pokémon from the same Gen are driven against each other because they know it’s one guy and they want it to be theirs. Can you imagine, say, Fire Emblem fans being pissed because their favorite Three Houses character didn’t get in?

And that’s how it ends up. Pokémon is a very, very overrepresented series, and yet it’s missing many iconic and popular characters like Meowth, Eevee, Darkrai, the list doesn’t really end. And it also became hella predictable. From 64 to Brawl, it was ‘What Pokemon can’t we miss?’, while in 4 it became ‘Just choose whatever starter you like the most, Sakurai’. Out of the dozens of Pokémon that join each Gen, no matter how popular one ends up being, there’s really only three candidates. Really, despite how much Sakurai loves surprises, the only reason Incineroar would have been surprising is because everyone loved the competition.

Bottom line, Pokémon representation is ****ing terrible and fans must feel more hopeless than Isaac fans during November 1st.

Want: 50%
I love Grovyle and he’s an iconic Pokémon and I adore PMD, but I just don’t want any more freaking Pokémon. It seriously needs cuts. Otherwise, like for a future game, I’d give a 75% Want.

Nominations: No fan favorites x5

D

Deleted member

TIME TO GEAR UP

Spoilers for PMD Explorers of Time, Darkness and Sky ahead. Be warned if you are actually interested in playing any of these games.
Chance :
Grovyle is one of the main characters of the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of [blank] games. He’s initially depicted as a villain, stealing the game’s macguffins but later is revealed to have been heroic all along and the former partner of the game’s protagonist while they were human, before playing a crucial role for the game’s last segments. He particularly has quite a bit of development characterisation, and is given a ton of focus within the game itself as well as being referenced in future Mystery Dungeon games. We have very minimal content from the Pokemon spinoffs in Smash, with a Snap trophy in Melee and a Detective Pikachu spirit as the only representation. Grovyle could serve as a representative of these still popular spinoffs, bringing content from not just the Mystery Dungeon games. Pokemon is bound to sell as DLC and he is relatively popular in his context. However, yeah I don’t think we’re gonna get Pokemon spinoff stuff as DLC. As I said, the spinoffs have always had very little content in Smash, with Mystery Dungeon having zero representation. If they’re gonna pick a Pokemon as DLC, it’ll probably be a Gen 8 Pokemon. Nintendo isn’t gonna want to advertise a spin-off when the mainline entries are right there. The PMD series itself is in an uncertain state currently, and the Explorers games were released 8 years ago now. Grovyle really doesn’t have much going for him, unless a new PMD is in the works with Grovyle as a character and they really want to push it.
1%

Want :
I’ve mentioned this before but I’ve always been a fan of the Pokemon spinoffs. Felt like a lot of them did some interesting things with the Pokemon brand. PMD is no exception. I really do like Explorers of Sky, it’s one of my favourite Pokemon games, and Grovyle is a character I enjoy. He could have a really interesting moveset too, using stuff like the orbs to supplement the traditional grass moves. It’s a crime we have no PMD music in Smash. Come on, Primal Dialga’s theme is such a perfect fit.
A stage based on the temporal tower or the guild could be fun, and his final smash could maybe feature Celebi and Dusknoir. We do have over 7 Pokemon already though, so it might feel a bit over-saturated.
70%
Noms: Ezio x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Future Trunks
Lucina

Grovyle

Chance: 0%
He's definitely not happening. All Sakurai and his team ever seem to care about is putting in the most recent Pokémon, so Grovyle already missed his chance in general when he wasn't part of a Gen 3 Pokémon Trainer's team in Brawl (which, for the record, I think would've been far better than the one we got). For the PMD2 Grovyle in particular, the little chance he might've had is absolutely demolished by Pokémon never having any of its spin-offs acknowledged, regardless of popularity, while Mario gets the vast majority of his spin-offs acknowledged in some form. The Pokémon Anime receives more acknowledgement than the Pokémon spin-off games.
(For the record, I'm aware of that one Pokémon Snap trophy from Melee, but that was over 15 years ago and in the three Smash games since then we didn't get anything similar so yeah)

Want: 85%
PMD2 Grovyle is an idea that I personally have entertained since the Brawl days, actually. I even thought of some fragments of a moveset for him, like Dig as a down-special to create pitfalls similar to the AC item, a Final Smash involving the Time Gears, and him actually getting spoken dialogue like Lucario, due to the nature of the PMD series. And while these days, I'd probably prefer Zoroark or a Generation 3 Pokémon trainer as a newcomer over Grovyle, it'd still make me very happy.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ravio x195
Dark Matter x195
Professor Hector x187
Ezio Auditore da Firenze x180
Dante x170
Andy (Advance Wars) x165
Shy Guy x160

150 - 101

Concept: World of Light expansion x155
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x155
Concept: 100 characters (counting Echo Fighters and Miis/Pokémon Trainer as 3) x155
Concept: No fan favorite/highly requested characters x145
Maxwell (Scribblenauts) x144
Kat & Ana x140
Ryota Hayami x140
Sly Cooper x130
Bonkers (Kirby) x130
Concept: Style Savvy rep x130
Poochy x125
Hat Kid x125
Q*Bert x122
Concept: Boss Rush x120
Magikarp x119
Amy Rose x115
Vaati x115
Brash the Bear x115
Cranky Kong x115
Tracer x111
Impa x101
Porky Minch x101

100 - 51

Monster Hunter x100
Nathan Drake x100
Concept: Microsoft Rep x100
Aloy x100
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x100
Concept: Undertale rep x100
Concept: Third-party character from unrepped Company x95
Lora (Xenoblade) x95
Boss: Kracko x85
Freddi Fish and Luther (Freddi Fish) x75
9-Volt x74
Spyro x62

50 - 25

Creeper x47
Papyrus x41
Frisk x40
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Ninten x30
Ryu Hayabusa x30
Noctis Lucis Caelum x30
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Cooking Mama x25

Under 25

Boss: Perfect Chaos x20
Kamek x20
Earthworm Jim x20
Yuri Lowell x20
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
Frogger x15
[Rerate] 2B x15
[Rerate] Erdrick x15
Decidueye x14
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Amaterasu x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Tora and Poppi x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x10
Brian (Quest 64) x10
Reporter & Wrestler x10
Saber (Fate) x10
Adeleine (Kirby) x7
Blacephalon x5
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5
Monokuma x5
Concept: Another joke character x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Concept: Free updates (Splatoon-style) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Black Shadow x5
Marx (Kirby) x5
Tetromino x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
Lizalfos x4
Toon Zelda x3
Eight (Dragon Quest) x3
Boss: Sans x2
Urbosa x1
Stahl x1
[Rerate] Steve? x1

Dark Matter emerges victorious from his tie with Professor Hector and in fact is now tied with Ravio for first place. Meanwhile Shy Guy managed to win the four-way tie for seventh (which looked like it was gonna remain) and this kicks World of Light expansion, Arthas Menethil and 100 characters off the top 7.

Besides that, we get a newcomer in Malzahar. He holds 5 noms, and I had to Google him just to know whether he existed. I know what I’m rating him.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Overrated Reptile With a Scarf: Awkward Puberty Phase Edition
Want: 1%

A Pokémon that would be better off fully evolved before considering joining the fight. Also a Pokémon that is irrelevant as of now, and not a very popular choice, considering it gets overshadowed by its final evolved form. Also we have 10 Pokémon reps at this point. While I would love more Pokémon, this inclusion feels kind of pointless considering Sceptile is much more popular, has greater moveset potential, more powerful, and Gen 8 is also around the corner. With all of this in mind, Grovyle is doomed. Also I doubt they will take from PMD for his source material. I prefer Sceptile. I prefer Xurkitree over Sceptile. Sorry :/

Gen 8 Pokémon: 10.63%

Magikarp x5

Hopefully those calcs come soon...

Last edited:

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Grovyle

It's hard to see it happening. If Pokémon gets a DLC pick, it'll almost surely be promotional, which Grovyle really isn't at this point. Gen 8 is right around the corner and Hoenn remakes already came and went.

Want: 14%
Non-zero, and for a Pokémon at that; can I get a cheer? I don't think we necessarily need to have a Pokémon from every Gen, but a Hoenn rep of some sort I would kinda like. Also, Grovyle would be a move away from the whole "just pick the most recent" idea, which I would enjoy. That said, I'd rather see other series get representation, and Grovyle in particular isn't super hype for me. But hey, at least he got some points.

Noms: Andy x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Grovyle

Chance - 0% - An old Pokemon from a now outdated Generation, with a new one seeming to be on the horizon. Considering what Pokemon typically gets, it's likely they will prioritize a new face over one, leaving him left behind.

Want - 40% - I do think that having a grass starter would be a good idea. That said, I'd rather not give the slot to a Pokemon right now, given how limited slots are right now.

Nominations

Dark Matter X5

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Grovel
Chance:1%: a main character from a 10 year old spinoff?. Not happening.
Want:95%: which is a shwme. Mystery dungeon is awesome. I would love a character based off of it.
Nominations: Shy Guy x5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
One in Eight Hundred

Chance: 0
Want: 0

Despite getting a literal potted plant mook, We’ve been getting some characters to rate that make even less sense.

Pokémon’s definitely got a lot so far, so I can’t see them adding more unless there’s a really really good reason for it. Thus, the only potential I see would be a mon from an upcoming game...and we don’t know a thing about gen 8, so I can’t see any of them coming in for a few years. Thus, I think Meltan/Melmetal or Zeraora are the most likely Pokémon. If we’re getting one in the first place.

Grovyle is nothing in the grand scheme of things. His importance was shown only in PMD, which has never been represented in any form in Smash. Expecting it to all of a sudden get a character when it hasn’t even gotten a song is bizarre. Not to mention - how long has it been since Grovyle in PMD was around?

Now we could consider Grovyle as a mon, but he’s even upstaged there by Sceptile, who did have a lot of ballot popularity. Still, a lot of that did come from the idea of us ‘missing’ some representation, as we had a gen 1 fire starter and a gen 6 water starter, so we ‘needed’ a gen 3 grass starter to balance it out. Long story short: we don’t ‘need’ any representation to be balanced.

And let’s face it - most Pokémon lines have the cute and popular Basic mon, the cool and popular final form, and the utterly forgotten middle child. The only 1st stage mon in now is Ivysaur, who owes his existence entirely to the Trainer’s gimmick. Even Pikachu is considered basic-with-baby and not 1st-stage (and Pichu didn’t exist when Pika was first added).

I can think of numerous other characters, even numerous other Pokémon I’d rather have. Not to mention that Gen 3 still carries that bias for me of “We’re cutting every character you like and adding a bunch of suspiciously similar substitutes.” Anyway, Mudkip is the best gen 3 starter in the first place, and the best Grass starters are Torterra, Chesnaught, and Decidueye. And Bulbasaur of course - nobody beats the three Gen 1 starter basic forms for me.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon)

Chance - 0%

He has nothing going for him. DLC is likely third party only, Pokemon already got a newcomer this game and there isn't much desire for another, he isn't a potential shillmon, TPC doesn't really seem to care much about promoting Mystery Dungeon right now, Sceptile is a much more popular pick, the list goes on. There's very little reason to include him.

Want - 70%

Right off the bat, it is probably worth noting that I'm talking solely about the Grovyle found within the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series of games. In the case of a Grovyle that is just a standard Grovyle that doesn't pull from the Mystery Dungeon series, I wouldn't care for it whatsoever.

Anyway, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness / Sky is one of my favorite games on the DS, and I might even go as far to say as its my favorite Pokemon game period, even moreso than some of the strongest main series entries. Please, if you take anything away from this post, let it be that Explorers of Time / Darkness / Sky is phenomenal and if you haven't given it a go yet, you should.

Anyway, I think that Grovyle as a character based on his form from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon would be a whole fun to play. Not only would he finish off the typing trio that Greninja and Incineroar have built with a plethora of unique grass based abilities, but he could make use of Celebi and the Time Gears for some teleportation and time manipulation shenanigans, or make use of the various seeds within the series as projectiles with all sorts of effects. Plus, this isn't even mentioning the godly music he'd bring with him. The fact that we don't have a remix of Dialga's Fight to the Finish or Dark Matter Phase 2 is embarassing enough, but the fact that the series has absolutely no representation in Smash Bros. whatsoever is really just insane.

Despite the newest Pokemon additions in Smash simply boiling down to "Which Pokemon can we advertise the new games with today?", and likely won't change from this point onwards, I really don't care much for any of the more recent Pokemon newcomers, and likely will continue to feel that way as both Smash continues and I continue to grow further and further away from the series. However, PMD Grovyle is an exception to the rule that I'd love to take.

Nominations:
Tetromino (Tetris) x5

Last edited:

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Grovyle

Chance: 0.1%
If we get a DLC character for Pokemon, it will most likely be the generation 8 starter Placing bets now that Gen 8 will have Dark Type Final Evolution Grass Starter. But I do find it odd that none of the Treecko line appear as a spirit, which is why I gave it a chance. Even with the importance in Mystery Dungeon, that doesn't hold much because Pokemon spinoffs don't get any attention Pokemon Snap sequel when!? If we were to get a member of the Treecko line, it would probably be Sceptile.
Want: 12.5%
Pretty cool but I would prefer Sceptile.

Nominations
Decidueye x5
Mostly because I find it odd that he was one of the characters that was heavily considered, yet he received nothing in the base game, not a Pokeball pokemon, not a spirit.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
That one particular Grovyle from the Explorers games

Most of the things I have to say about this have already been said, so I'll just keep this brief. The DLC is looking likely to be all third-parties. Grovyle is a first-party rep, from a game that's 10 years old, in a sub-series that hasn't been doing too great recently. I don't see Grovyle getting in. I'm giving it the obligatory 1% because never say never, but that's all he gets.

Want: ehhh.... 20% or so?
I enjoyed the Explorers games as much as the rest, but I really don't see Grovyle doing THAT much more than anything else of its species. The Time Gears have never been used as a teleportation tool or the like, nor are they ever implied to be able to be used like that (Otherwise there'd be no point relying on Lapras to reach the Sacred Land and by proxy Temporal Tower), so the only real option would be to have Grovyle team up with Celebi to add more variety into his moveset, considering the Treecko line isn't exactly a paragon of versatility. There are Pokemon reps I'd much prefer before Grovyle, such as Lycanroc, Blaziken, Heracross and Haxorus.

Gen 8 Pokemon prediction: 1%, assuming we're talking about the Fighter Pass only. Gen 8 isn't a thing yet (Unless you consider Meltan/Melmetal Gen 8), and DLC's already been decided, and is most likely all third parties. We're gonna have to wait until either a second wave of DLC or the next Smash game for Gen 8 Pokemon to be on the table.

Noms: Yuri Lowell x5.

Mostly because I find it odd that he was one of the characters that was heavily considered, yet he received nothing in the base game, not a Pokeball pokemon, not a spirit.
Various sources online state that this was because Decidueye WAS considered, but ultimately lost out to Incineroar.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
Grovyle

Chance : 0%
- Another lizard? Smash Bros has 9/72 reptiles and amphibian (10 with Lucas snake), including the recent King K. Rool and Ridley. 4 of them are already Pokemon. If Smash is a museum of Nintendo games, it should not become a vivarium.
- Another plant creature in DLC? Flora Piranha would not be sufier?
- Another Pokemon? Smash U offers 12 new non-Echo fighters, and it's obvious that each of them will be licensed differently. Incineroar has already taken the slot. In addition, Pokemon has already reached the limit of 8 non-echo representation. This is already the maximum, only the series Mario and Pokemon have reached.
- A non-iconic DLC character? Corrin, Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, Joker and probably "Brave" are iconic (or the hero of a new game concerning Corrin).

Want : 0%
Grovyle can't even be an echo of Ivysaur. If there was to be a new Pokemon, I would prefer other types of attacks to be represented.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Grovyle

- Another lizard? Smash Bros has 9/72 reptiles and amphibian (10 with Lucas snake), including the recent King K. Rool and Ridley. 4 of them are already Pokemon. If Smash is a museum of Nintendo games, it should not become a vivarium.
- Another Pokemon? Smash U offers 12 new non-Echo fighters, and it's obvious that each of them will be licensed differently. Incineroar has already taken the slot. In addition, Pokemon has already reached the limit of 8 non-echo representation. This is already the maximum, only the series Mario and Pokemon have reached.
- A non-iconic DLC character? Corrin, Cloud, Ryu, Bayonetta, Joker and probably "Brave" are iconic (or the hero of a new game concerning Corrin).

Grovyle can't even be an echo of Ivysaur. If there was to be a new Pokemon, I would prefer other types of attacks to be represented.
Lol there's no limit to how many unique characters a series can have. The reptile vivarium argument is also weak. Also who the hell calls Piranha Plant "Flora Piranha"?

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
You know that the chance scores are doing poorly when everyone's neglecting to do prediction scores again.

Also who the hell calls Piranha Plant "Flora Piranha"?
Someone who speaks a language where "Piranha Plant" isn't the literal name, I assume.

Grovyle (PMD)

Chance: 0.1%
It's pretty clear why Pokemon spin-offs hardly get any exposure in Smash. Most of them are just random existing/experimental game mechanics with the Pokemon brand slapped onto them, and the roguelike variants we know as "mystery dungeons" aren't any different.

Let's be real - PMD only got big because of its narrative concept. It was the first series where one could actually play as a Pokemon itself, adventuring in a world driven entirely by other Pokemon instead of anime humans. Grovyle's a prime example of that - an otherwise-nameless animal that has his own personality, history and motivations, elevated by his significance to PMD: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky's plot. We just can't resist any decent humanization of nonhumans; we can, however, overlook hours of monotonous dungeon crawling and level grinding (broken only by the occasional monster room) to get the plot going.

Now, I can't say for certain why Smash Bros. has eschewed the Pokemon spin-off games until now, especially since Mario spin-off games show up often enough. Is it a willing exclusion on Sakurai's part, or is it a stipulation by The Pokemon Company to ignore them? Whatever the cause, it's not a situation I see changing anytime soon, even if Mystery Dungeon is perhaps the most well-received of them in the West (besides to Pokemon Go). Mainline Pokemon games simply take up enough space on their own as it is, and it's not like Pokemon has anything to do with the history of roguelikes in the first place to demand that their take on it be represented.

Want: 5%
I can respect the story, but honestly, the bar set by Pokemon stories is a low one to clear. Part of me thinks Mystery Dungeon stories only got well-received because of how not-terrible they were, compared to every other Pokemon plot at the time (like Team Galactic's brilliant plan to destroy the universe, or anything else too forgettable/cliche to mention). Grovyle the 'mon isn't a bad choice by itself, especially when the Pokemon anime made him the cool Ash 'mon of the Hoenn seasons, but Gen 3's old enough to have had a remake already.

Nominations
Undertale representative x5

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Grovyle

Lucas has a Rope Snake therefore the chances for another reptile/amphibian (which are two very different things) are lowered. You always make me laugh. You are aware that most Smash characters are mammals, right?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Oh, another fan rule presented as 100% fact...

"Pokemon and Mario reached the maximum character limit"

*laughs in Nintendo's most popular series*

Last edited:

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Lucas has a Rope Snake therefore the chances for another reptile/amphibian (which are two very different things) are lowered. You always make me laugh. You are aware that most Smash characters are mammals, right?

Hey guys make sure when you're responding to someone's rating that you remain civil, one of the issues we have in RTC is that people feel afraid to rate because they worry they will be attacked, so we have to make sure that we keep discussion from getting too aggressive.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Grovyle (PMD)

If we're getting a Pokemon as DLC, it'll most likely be from Gen 8. Besides, PMD hasn't had a new game for quite a while (the last game was from 2015 IIRC), so I highly doubt they would go for that series instead of an upcoming Gen 8 game. But even then, they still have competition with other first-party characters since we can assume that the DLC Fighters will mostly be third-parties.

Want: 0%
As much as I like Grovyle, I would rather have Sceptile instead, even though he did not appear in PMD. But even then, there are other first-party characters that I want in first before him.

Gen 8 Pokemon Prediction: 10.38%

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil (Warcraft) x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I think it’s more like Pokémon and Mario reached the maximum character limit people are willing to accept.

Hey guys make sure when you're responding to someone's rating that you remain civil, one of the issues we have in RTC is that people feel afraid to rate because they worry they will be attacked, so we have to make sure that we keep discussion from getting too aggressive.
If the author of such logical claims like ‘Rhythm Girl can’t be in because Wii Fit Trainer is also white’ and ‘Grovyle can’t be in because 9 out of 75 fighters are a reptile/amphibian’ continues to make such bold statements, I can’t refrain from reacting.

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Grovyle

Any Pokemon that is not from Gen 8 are highly unlikely to get in Smash as DLC. Out of all Pokemon that can represent the Mystery Dungeon series, there are a lot to consider and while Grovyle definitely is one of those choices, there's also Gardevoir and Gengar as these two had a major role in the first Mystery Dungeon game (Red Rescue Team & Blue Rescue Team), but Gardevoir became an Assist Trophy while Gengar is a Spirit. But even then, the Mystery Dungeon series has been dead for quite a while, so I highly doubt that they would go for a spin off than a mainline Pokemon game.

While I definitely don't mind a PMD rep in Smash, I'd rather it to be either Gardevoir or Gengar, even if the former is an Assist Trophy and the latter is a Spirit. But even then, there's a Gen 8 Pokemon coming, so they might go for them first.

Nominations:
Arthas Menethil x5

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970

I see why this was requested: "There isn't a Pokemon fighter that represents the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs, so Grovyle should be the one to do it. It's also a standalone grass starter." I don't like this type of logic for why Grovyle should be in Smash. Adding a character to represent a spinoff series is a tricky thing to do. Grovyle PMD supporters would say that Grovyle should just use moves that come right from the source material. My biggest thing is, W H Y W O U L D T H E C O N S U M E R S C A R E? They won't be able to tell the difference between a normal Pokemon move and a Pokemon move that credits a spinoff series. I firmly don't believe that fighters should be added to represent a spinoff series, but represent the actual series and can use the spinoffs for help. By saying "Grovyle is a fighter from the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon", when most people look at Grovyle and see "Pokemon", the correlation can be very distracting. Pikachu was in a Mystery Dungeon game, why does a specific fighter have to be the torch bearer that says "LOOK AT THE SPINOFF GUYS!!!" A PMD fighter is unnecessary. However, we are looking for chance. Even if it's technically supposed to represent a Pokemon spinoff, it will always be considered a Pokemon. And we aren't getting Pokemon DLC...

Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) Chance: 0%
Grovyle (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Chance: 1%

Count the bolded score because that's what the nominators want.

It's a shame, really. As a proud owner of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, I really would enjoy seeing some love shed towards the series. But even I wouldn't want a fighter to be in the game with the sole intent to show that a pokemon spinoff is prominent and gets a bunch of sales, when it unintentionally creates confusion from where the source material came from and takes away from the fact that Grovyle IS STILL A POKEMON. By trying to force in a reference to a side game where it was also featured (and had text lines, woo.), the prospect of having Grovyle is extremely unappealing (given it reps PMD)...

Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) Want: -100% = 0%

Bonus round: Let's look at literally just the pokemon without f*cking around with spinoff tributes. No. We are not getting middle evolution pokemon anymore. Especially not middle evolution grass types. Ivysaur already meets that. Pikachu and Jigglypuff get by's because of their undebatable prominence. Now I'll say this once and once only.

WE NEED TO HAVE SCEPTILE IN SMASH. HE IS THE ONLY POKEMON I HAVE EVER WANTED AND HIS PRESENCE AS A GEN 3 FINAL EVOLVED GRASS STARTER AS WELL AS MY PERSONAL ATTACHMENT TO HIM HAVE BROUGHT OUR RELATIONSHIP TO A WHOLE NEW PLANE OF REALITY.

The fact that the nominators wanted to nominate GROVYLE OF ALL THINGS (and not just any Grovyle, but the talking one that came out of a side game only released on the DS (that may have had good sales but that isn't needed in context)) really p*ssed me off because I was about to give the utmost positive review for Sceptile. Grovyle would have gotten an amazing review too, if it wasn't ruined by the specificity of having it be from Mystery Dungeon by itself. Sceptile, out of all of the fully evolved grass starters, makes the most logical sense to be a fighter after Incineroar's announcement. I remember back when the Sceptile/Decidueye ongoing debate was at it's prime and I would do whatever I could to show how Sceptile was the best bet for the bill for Smash. That was up for debate then. Now there are no more new Pokemon being added. However, Sceptile came out victorious after the conclusion of base game speculation, for Incineroar being a Gen 7 starter practically eliminated Decidueye's viability as an additional selection. Sceptile, while at 0% chance, is at a 110% want in my book, but we are looking at Grovyle instead for some reason, a lacking albeit suitable alternative given that it is based solely on the main Pokemon franchise with 0 gimmicks from outside of the mainline games. I would still immediately take Sceptile over Grovyle though, because I am a stickler for consistence and we WILL get ourselves a fully evolved, standalone starter fighter for each of the three starter types. Greninja came in Sm4sh, Incineroar came in 5mash, and Sceptile hopefully will fill in Smash 6 (however realistically it'll be the Gen 8 grass starter, but as of now no info is know about it). Finally, I also firmly believe that there STILL isn't enough variety for the Pokemon. Now now now, before people start pointing out all the ways that our 10 fighters are unique, I exclude Pokemon Trainer for a bit and deal specifically in stereotypes and vague generalizations. We have two Pikachus: Pichu and Pikachu. I'd love to see Pichu get cut if it furthers the chances of a grass type standalone. Next we have Lucario and Pink Lucario, which also goes along with another Pink Pokemon being "Po-Kirby". Got me? Story so far: two yellow mice, two pink things, and a blue version of one of the pink things, which goes along with another blue "Sheik-emon". Incineroar is unlike all of the remaining standalone pokemon, but fails in the aspect that it isn't even the first fully evolved fire type starter (which luckily is orange.) My point is that it would be good to get a new color of pokemon that would hypothetically fight unlike all of the pre-existing fighters besides Ivysaur, in which it would still be different. We have :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:, and this could most definitely use a splash of green.:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultgreninja: Yes, I resorted to looking at the colors of the pre-existing Pokemon fighters. I also just now found out that the Pokemon Trainer pokemon finally got emojis of their own.

Grovyle (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Want: 90%
Sceptile (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Want: 100%

You are going to want to take the bolded ratings because of "why is it PMD". Sorry, I got really mad when I realized that I couldn't give my rating on Grovyle alone.

Nominations: Spyro x5

:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultcharizard::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultkrool::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

iT's So PrEtTy NoW, lOoK aT tHe RaInBoW!

Edit: :ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

Awww, how bland and boring.

Is it a bad thing that I can't help but make all of the standalone Pokemon fighters look so similar? Many of them are, and they just seem to blend together for some reason; it makes me sad.

:ultcharizard::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur: are easily the most refreshing, unique Pokemon that we have right now, as well as Incineroar. Maybe I'm just fed up with the existing designs. Here it is without Incineroar.

:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

This lineup gives me a feeling of sadness. Pokemon as a whole have come to represent so many different character and design tropes, and seeing only three primary colors for them makes me crave more, especially when there are 800 or so options (given that maybe 10 of the 800 make logical sense)

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Grovyle

Grovyle is one of those Pokemon that I forget exist, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. It never had much prominence in the franchise as a whole and, while it has fans, rarely shows up as someone's favorite. Even in its own generation, it's far outshined by other Pokemon like Blaziken and Deoxys in both popularity, relevance ans Smash Bros demand.

It's too old to be a "flavor of the month" pick or included for advertising purposes; especially with a new generation right around the corner that Gamefreak would love to promote over a 16 year-old GBA title or its 4 year-old remake. And let's not forget that Gen 7 is still in swing and they could pull another character from there over a random one from a long-passed title.

It also doesn't have anything that's truly its own to bring into the game. Want an agile Pokemon speedster? You have Geninja. Want attacks using leaves and vines? You have Ivysaur. It also doesn't really have a second theme/skillset like ninjitsu or wrestling to pull from. In a nutshell, anything it can bring to the table is either already there or could be done by a more prominent or popular Pokemon that hasn't made it in yet.

As far as Pokemon go, it's quite generic. With Smash Bros showcasing tried-and-true Icons or Rising Stars, it wouldn't really be right to dredge up an old, unremarkable Pokemon out of the 800+ available. If we are getting a Pokemon, let it either be a classic favorite or a new face that's fresh in everyone's mind.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979

I see why this was requested: "There isn't a Pokemon fighter that represents the Mystery Dungeon spinoffs, so Grovyle should be the one to do it. It's also a standalone grass starter." I don't like this type of logic for why Grovyle should be in Smash. Adding a character to represent a spinoff series is a tricky thing to do. Grovyle PMD supporters would say that Grovyle should just use moves that come right from the source material. My biggest thing is, W H Y W O U L D T H E C O N S U M E R S C A R E? They won't be able to tell the difference between a normal Pokemon move and a Pokemon move that credits a spinoff series. I firmly don't believe that fighters should be added to represent a spinoff series, but represent the actual series and can use the spinoffs for help. By saying "Grovyle is a fighter from the Pokemon: Mystery Dungeon", when most people look at Grovyle and see "Pokemon", the correlation can be very distracting. Pikachu was in a Mystery Dungeon game, why does a specific fighter have to be the torch bearer that says "LOOK AT THE SPINOFF GUYS!!!" A PMD fighter is unnecessary. However, we are looking for chance. Even if it's technically supposed to represent a Pokemon spinoff, it will always be considered a Pokemon. And we aren't getting Pokemon DLC...

Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) Chance: 0%
Grovyle (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Chance: 1%

Count the bolded score because that's what the nominators want.

It's a shame, really. As a proud owner of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time, I really would enjoy seeing some love shed towards the series. But even I wouldn't want a fighter to be in the game with the sole intent to show that a pokemon spinoff is prominent and gets a bunch of sales, when it unintentionally creates confusion from where the source material came from and takes away from the fact that Grovyle IS STILL A POKEMON. By trying to force in a reference to a side game where it was also featured (and had text lines, woo.), the prospect of having Grovyle is extremely unappealing (given it reps PMD)...

Grovyle (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) Want: -100% = 0%

Bonus round: Let's look at literally just the pokemon without f*cking around with spinoff tributes. No. We are not getting middle evolution pokemon anymore. Especially not middle evolution grass types. Ivysaur already meets that. Pikachu and Jigglypuff get by's because of their undebatable prominence. Now I'll say this once and once only.

WE NEED TO HAVE SCEPTILE IN SMASH. HE IS THE ONLY POKEMON I HAVE EVER WANTED AND HIS PRESENCE AS A GEN 3 FINAL EVOLVED GRASS STARTER AS WELL AS MY PERSONAL ATTACHMENT TO HIM HAVE BROUGHT OUR RELATIONSHIP TO A WHOLE NEW PLANE OF REALITY.

The fact that the nominators wanted to nominate GROVYLE OF ALL THINGS (and not just any Grovyle, but the talking one that came out of a side game only released on the DS (that may have had good sales but that isn't needed in context)) really p*ssed me off because I was about to give the utmost positive review for Sceptile. Grovyle would have gotten an amazing review too, if it wasn't ruined by the specificity of having it be from Mystery Dungeon by itself. Sceptile, out of all of the fully evolved grass starters, makes the most logical sense to be a fighter after Incineroar's announcement. I remember back when the Sceptile/Decidueye ongoing debate was at it's prime and I would do whatever I could to show how Sceptile was the best bet for the bill for Smash. That was up for debate then. Now there are no more new Pokemon being added. However, Sceptile came out victorious after the conclusion of base game speculation, for Incineroar being a Gen 7 starter practically eliminated Decidueye's viability as an additional selection. Sceptile, while at 0% chance, is at a 110% want in my book, but we are looking at Grovyle instead for some reason, a lacking albeit suitable alternative given that it is based solely on the main Pokemon franchise with 0 gimmicks from outside of the mainline games. I would still immediately take Sceptile over Grovyle though, because I am a stickler for consistence and we WILL get ourselves a fully evolved, standalone starter fighter for each of the three starter types. Greninja came in Sm4sh, Incineroar came in 5mash, and Sceptile hopefully will fill in Smash 6 (however realistically it'll be the Gen 8 grass starter, but as of now no info is know about it). Finally, I also firmly believe that there STILL isn't enough variety for the Pokemon. Now now now, before people start pointing out all the ways that our 10 fighters are unique, I exclude Pokemon Trainer for a bit and deal specifically in stereotypes and vague generalizations. We have two Pikachus: Pichu and Pikachu. I'd love to see Pichu get cut if it furthers the chances of a grass type standalone. Next we have Lucario and Pink Lucario, which also goes along with another Pink Pokemon being "Po-Kirby". Got me? Story so far: two yellow mice, two pink things, and a blue version of one of the pink things, which goes along with another blue "Sheik-emon". Incineroar is unlike all of the remaining standalone pokemon, but fails in the aspect that it isn't even the first fully evolved fire type starter (which luckily is orange.) My point is that it would be good to get a new color of pokemon that would hypothetically fight unlike all of the pre-existing fighters besides Ivysaur, in which it would still be different. We have :ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultlucario::ultgreninja::ultincineroar:, and this could most definitely use a splash of green.:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultkrool::ultlucario::ultgreninja: Yes, I resorted to looking at the colors of the pre-existing Pokemon fighters. I also just now found out that the Pokemon Trainer pokemon finally got emojis of their own.

Grovyle (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Want: 90%
Sceptile (The Pokemon itself without PMD) Want: 100%

You are going to want to take the bolded ratings because of "why is it PMD". Sorry, I got really mad when I realized that I couldn't give my rating on Grovyle alone.

Nominations: Spyro x5

:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultcharizard::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultkrool::ultivysaur::ultsquirtle::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

iT's So PrEtTy NoW, lOoK aT tHe RaInBoW!

Edit: :ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultincineroar::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

Awww, how bland and boring.

Is it a bad thing that I can't help but make all of the standalone Pokemon fighters look so similar? Many of them are, and they just seem to blend together for some reason; it makes me sad.

:ultcharizard::ultsquirtle::ultivysaur: are easily the most refreshing, unique Pokemon that we have right now, as well as Incineroar. Maybe I'm just fed up with the existing designs. Here it is without Incineroar.

:ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu::ultpikachu::ultlucario::ultgreninja:

This lineup gives me a feeling of sadness. Pokemon as a whole have come to represent so many different character and design tropes, and seeing only three primary colors for them makes me crave more, especially when there are 800 or so options (given that maybe 10 of the 800 make logical sense)
You accidentally labeled King K Rool as a Pokémon :p

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I appreciate the sentiment. While I personally would state the criticism are valid, it is important to remain as civil as possible.

I’m abstaining today because I just don’t have the energy to write up about this character, expect me to end the day around 8 tonight.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
I think it’s more like Pokémon and Mario reached the maximum character limit people are willing to accept.

If the author of such logical claims like ‘Rhythm Girl can’t be in because Wii Fit Trainer is also white’ and ‘Grovyle can’t be in because 9 out of 75 fighters are a reptile/amphibian’ continues to make such bold statements, I can’t refrain from reacting.
Oh I agree, I've made more than one response to said individual about their weird comments but considering how many times I've see people comment about why they don't like RTC and I'd really hate to see this fun game end because we've scared everyone off.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Grovyle

Chance: 0.01%

-We already have a Pokemon in Base.
-They'd probably go with Sceptile instead since we have Greninja and Incineroar.
-Again not an enticing DLC to make money.

-Too many Pokemon on the Roster IMO.
-Would rather have Sceptile.

Gen 8 Pokemon Prediction: 4.66%

Nominate WoL Expansion x5

D

Deleted member

Grovyle, eh?
Chance: 10%-15%
Mid-evolutions have been allowed in games like Pokken and Pikachu technically counts due to being a retroactive mid-evolution. It is a starter from a popular generation but for DLC I don't see them doing a Pokemon rep unless its from the new generation that is coming later this year.

Want: Abstain
I like Pokemon, and Grovyle has a cool design. But I feel its a bit unfair to rate my want on it considering I like a lot other Pokemon better. And a few of them are playable in games like Pokken already.

Nominate Ryota from Waverace x 5

Last edited by a moderator:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
A plant to grow vile

And this is just looking at grovyle as a Pokemon itself, without PMD attributes in its character. The problem here is, the game Grovyle was important in was quite a few PMDs ago, with the latest being Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and that was back in 2015. Grovyle already has timing against him, and being one Pokemon in a mass of around 800 is the final nail in the coffin.

Let's put aside that I'm really not interested in another Pokemon, but rating the PMD version of Grovyle is difficult, because it's unlikely that many PMD aspects of Grovyle could easily be put onto a Grovyle to properly represent it. Would Grovyle talk? The PMD series implies they're all speaking Pokemon language, just translated for us to understand. Representing PMD is just difficult to appropriately do, and it wouldn't interest me enough for them to attempt it, and most likely botch it.

Predict: Gen 8 Pokemon
With me believing third party is the bet for this DLC session, Gen 8 Pokemon has it less likely in my opinion, but some might see advertising. 21%

Noms:
Professor Hector x2
Q*Bert x3

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Whose that pokemon? Well it’s just a Concept day. Rate us getting a gen 8 pokemon.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Gen VIII Pokémon

Chance: 5%
I think the chances of this happening aren't all that great with the DLC seemingly being all third party. There's also the issue that the actual Gen VIII Pokemon designs for Sakurai to choose from may have not been finished by November 2018 (when Sakurai confirmed the DLC lineup was finalized). I know you can maybe argue with :roymelee: but he was a Marth clone so he was easy to make as a last minute addition and I don't see us getting a full-fledged clone for DLC.

Want: Abstain
We know literally nothing of the Gen VIII Pokemon aside from Meltan and Melmetal (and even then there is some debate that said Pokemon are counted as Gen VII). I don't care how many reps a series gets as long as the characters themselves are cool and unique. Since we haven't seen the Gen VIII roster I'm not going to comment on it.

Concept: More DLC chance prediction: 58.62%

Nominations:
Andy (Advance Wars) x5

Top Bottom