• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
100%

Her personality adds so much to the roster. All the smash fan art and memes are fantastic and interesting. Her interactions I would like to see more in the new mode if it's story based.
She also seems like a fun character to play as. I never really like using villager that much, but maybe Isabelle might be more my cup of tea.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Isabelle Satisfaction

15%
I don't care for Isabelle, and her reveal trailer was slow and boring. Plus, she isn't an echo fighter. I would have been happy with her, if her trailer wasn't so weak. She does look interesting though, I'm not totally unsatisfied.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
30%

I come at this from multiple angles. I already expressed that the trailer was weak and the delay made it weaker, so I won't go into that again.

From a design perspective
Despite liking Animal Crossing an having player New Leaf for an obscene amount of time, the fact for me is that the game doesn't have enough things happening where I feel that we need two characters to properly represent it.
Villager's moveset, despite being for the most part brilliant, is already forced in certain aspects as it is by having things like boxing gloves and a balloon fight recovery. The fact that Isabelle doesn't seem to, for the most part, add anything interesting to the game is a bit of a letdown. At least with Ridley and K. Rool you have the understanding that even if not super unique they'll add representation of meaningful portions from their game that have been neglected.
But Isabelle offers nothing exciting that Villager couldn't have had. The ONE THING that makes me pause and actually be mildly intrigued is that move where she pulls out a sign and stops sonic... assuming that is indeed a move. If so, the potential is interesting... but then regrettably the rest of her moveset feels unenthusiastic in creativity.
Which leads to the argument that not everyone needs to reinvent the wheel... but it still leaves me unconvinced about why Isabelle couldn't just have been an echo. Someone like Dark Samus has interesting design elements that could have worked well in a unique moveset, but that didn't happen. Isabelle did though, and that makes something explicitely clear:
Isabelle is not a good game design inclusion, but she IS a good marketing inclusion. There's no doubt for me that a ton of people, particularly in japan, are suddenly more invested in Smash than ever before because of Isabelle. And here's where I have some satisfaction: more people enjoying a game is a great thing, and the fact this sort of inclusion means there's a chance some girl gamers that otherwise would not have touched smash might do so and discover other great characters is exciting to me. But there's only so much that concept excites me, since despite her demographic being large, it's not one I am a part of, which goes to the next angle

From a fan perspective
I personally kind of don't like Isabelle that much. Her design doesn't appeal to me, as I generally am one of the few people in the world who really doesn't care that much about dogs so from the beginning her concept just makes me shrug. Likewise, her personality is at a complete opposite to mine. I like female characters who are strong and establish that in their behavior actively. Like, characters I want in this game include Elma and Dixie because of this: female characters who are not there to be captured or saved but to get. ****. done. Elma in particular doesn't have aspirations for power, but that doesn't stop her from assessing the situation and pushing for what's right while being a leader and kind at the same time.
Isabelle, in comparison, feels like this blank slate character who is meant to be cute and bring in people because she's cute, and despite being highly capable and doing your goddamn mayor job, she just constantly defaults to what you want. She feels to me like the ultimate secretary in that she displays very little will of her own and it's always second to what her boss wants. She feels like a very surface-level character and it's kind of a turn-off that I never experienced much of her having actual personality in-game outside of ditzy but capable.
It honestly leaves me befuddled as to why she became more popular. The Able Sisters are cute and have more personality. Tom Nook has TONS of personality and has been around for forever. Even with other characters I find it easy to feel bummed that characters I really want because of how meaningful they have been to the industry, namely Dixie, are getting tossed aside as not as "obvious" or "all-star" as Isabelle which is a huge bummer. It's the same resentment as when good animated movies go unseen while everyone goes nuts over minions... so here I am pulling for Dixie as the last real all-star left from Nintendo and one of the most impactful female characters in gaming, and that is getting tossed aside by the significantly larger crowd of people who rave about Isabelle, most of them just because she looks cute and is derpy and a puppy.
Anyway though, I'm going Bojack Horseman over here, and I realize none of this is the character's fault and it's just life that sometimes the things you like don't get as much popularity as things you feel are not as awesome. But somewhere out there there's another girl who really likes Isabelle and will feel empowered by beating up Bowser with her, so I guess it's fine. I did get Palutena last Smash, my favorite of all Nintendo characters and one lots of people don't care about, so ultimately that does make it hard to really feel slighted by isabelle. In the greater context, even if Dixie doesn't happen, this is still a pretty phenomenal roster already.

I DO also like that we have more cute characters in Smash too, and this IS the first character in this Smash that's just outright girly and sweet and not designed to be cool to boys. So there IS some appreciation to having her in Smash. And i will also admit I was much more unenthused right after the trailer and it's settled a bit more by now. In fact, my score more than doubled as I was typing this. It was kind of nice to just reflect on this reveal.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I changed my mind since my initial reaction, I am pretty satisfied with Isabelle entering Smash.Like most others, I also expected a Smash teaser after all the other games had been announced during the direct. By the time everything ended, I was pretty confident it was going to be Smash. I doubted for a bit, because Animal Crossing was highly speculated to be announced, but once after a couple seconds, I processed it and was decently hyped for Isabelle to be in Smash. I am perfectly fine with her inclusion; it's hard for me to be against adding a fighter. I still personally think that being an Echo would have suited her fine, but I would rather have her character slot go to a highly requested unrepresented character, such as Isaac, Banjo & Kazooie, or Karate Joe... All in all, I can't be to harsh on my girl Isabelle, and am pretty stoked to have her here. That leaves me at a satisfaction rating of...

Satisfaction: 65%

Noms: Amaterasu x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Hmm, the box artwork has caused a bit of a scene. Are we possibly at the end of the road for newcomers? I'm starting to think it so. Apparently it's 6 weeks for that to be final, so we'll likely have every character revealed by then. It may turn out that both the music and stage theory hold true alongside the box theory. They all work together quite well.

All I know is I feel every character just took a massive blow in chance from my view point with me thinking Medusa, Ms Pacman, a Shulk echo, a Cloud echo, and Ken are the most likely paired with one newcomer who doesn't really need a stage like Skull Kid (Great Bay) or Pokemon. (lots of stages already)

Actually Street Fighter and LoZ had music uploaded. So I'll fall back to Medusa, Viridi, Ms Pacman, Shulk echo, and Cloud echo unless Ken was a really late addition and wasn't final till after the music came through? And the other newcomer being more likely to be Pokemon but with a chance of Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, or Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Satisfaction: 50%
Leaving it like that because I'm pretty much neutral about her inclusion, She definitely wasn't among my most wanted characters, nor was it among my most expected unique newcomer. However, I really can't complain much, Isabelle's definitely popular and I can't bring myself to deny so nor to complain about the decision to invest the manpower of real newcomer into her. She's just okay.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Isabelle Satisfaction: 30%

I mean, I'm happy for her fans, but she should have been an echo instead of a clone. Nothing really against her, but I feel a bit let down that we only got one character reveal and that reveal wasn't even of a full newcomer. She also wasn't even in my top ten most wanted characters.

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Isabelle satisfaction
Chance: 60% - I thought her trailer was rather cute. I’m a little disappointed that we only got one character, and it was for someone we all saw coming. Right now I’m just excited for the Crystal Chronicles remake.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Isabelle Satisfaction: 100% because she's not an Echo(which I predicted was never going to happen anyway)

My rating was 70% for her. I did not remotely consider her a lock, but had a very high chance to begin with.

She couldn't work as an Echo for two reasons; she has very incorrect proportions and she doesn't really use the Tools at all(her getting the fishing rod is a pleasant surprise, making me super satisfied), and many of the animations felt too off. She needed way more work, to well, work. The other Echoes don't have this issue but also have way better ties to the character for which they can easily be an Echo of. Isabelle doesn't even have that, as all she shares is the same series. She's not a clone in some remote way, nor is there some meta reason.

Lucina: She poses as Marth. It makes sense she acts fully like him in Smash.
Dark Pit: A literal clone.
Daisy: Peach and her literally play the same to the point she's a moveset clone anyway. She just has a different personality and aesthetics with rarely different moves. She has a few less defined abilities compared to Waluigi, but he also has, most notably, a different body type to begin with.
Richter: Simon and Richter were combined into one large moveset. So he could already be an Echo due to how development worked.
Chrom: He's a cross between Ike and Marth as seen by Sakurai. Roy pretty much is this too. Easy person to Echo from, and Sakurai never saw him as all that unique.
Dark Samus: Another clone of Samus effectively. She makes actual sense of why she can perform Samus' full moveset, being she literally has the same armor.
The most notable thing is there was never a case of simply "cause why not". There was more to it than that. Nobody feels like they were shoehorned in simply because it was easy. It all heavily fit the character. Isabelle doesn't really fit being an Echo. A regular citizen or Tom Nook more fits it because these are the tools and abilities most associated with them. Isabelle has different abilities associated with her and does it better this way.

For why I wasn't sure, it's because her ballot popularity is very iffy on being super high. She is prominent and a mascot, but that didn't alone guarantee her a slot. It was most important she fit her personality right as well. If you can't make her work while making it seem like she's playing games compared to entering a fight(something she shies away from in Smash alone, plus her own series), then it ultimately undermines her happy-go-luck personality. When I learned Amiibo Festival had her doing "violent" acts under the guise it was a game, essentially, it told me that her fighting isn't a problem if her personality isn't compromised. And that's exactly what happened. The other is that being a mascot only helps if you're the first ever character to enter a series. So it alone clearly wasn't the dealbreaker. He had to still see her dance in his head, something I think had a reasonable chance to do so. I was on Clone/Semi-clone/Unique or AT, not an Echo for a long time now.

As for the trailer, it was... okay. It fit AC well(being a huge AC player, it was really neat for a fan like me), but it wasn't really a captivating one overall. It had little excitement, one you'd expect. But that's okay too. It actually tied into the new game well, and she has an amazing tagline. I hope she's playable for the demo~

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Isabelle Satisfaction: 30%

I mean, I'm happy for her fans, but she should have been an echo instead of a clone. Nothing really against her, but I feel a bit let down that we only got one character reveal and that reveal wasn't even of a full newcomer. She also wasn't even in my top ten most wanted characters.
Isabelle’s a unique. Not a semi clone. Analysing her moveset makes it difficult to rationalise calling her a clone.

Isabelle Satisfaction: 100%.

Isabelle, Inkling and Daisy were my most wanted characters.

Last edited:

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Satistfaction: 30%

While I can see where they're coming from with her, the franchise sells like hot cakes, I still believe Animal Crossing can't bring anything new to the table that it couldn't already with Villager. I used to play all the games up until City Folk, then I realized all of them are pretty much exactly the same with very slight differences so I got bored really fast. That and AC is not what I'd call a hype reveal at all, at least she deserves it way more than wacky requests like Geno, Master Chief, Sora, etc. but still.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Isabelle Satisfaction score: 50%

On the one hand, her inclusion makes a lot sense. She has become the face of the Animal Crossing and a Nintendo icon of this past decade, and with her popularity and some other credentials she had prior (like becoming a playable character in Mario Kart 8), she deserved to make into Smash as a playable fighter. On the other hand, I don't care for the Animal Crossing series, so I don't have much attachment to the character. Didn't think she'd be a semi-Echo either, but some of her moves look interesting (namely the fishing rod).

Veggi

Smash Champion
Satisfaction: 95%

From a fan perspective: Isabelle was my second or third most wanted character. Animal Crossing has so much to it that I feel like it would be easy to create characters with lots of references to the game without running out of ideas. Tbh I could probably make like 3 more AC movesets without running out of ideas. They captured her personality as well.

From a sales perspective: Isabelle is obviously an amazing choice. She is extremely popular and marketable. She's advertising arguably Nintendo's heaviest hitting game revealed in the direct. She's from an extremely popular series that only has one rep in Smash. She expands the audience that could potentially purchase Smash. She probably didn't take that many resources to make because she reuses a lot of assets but would play completely differently so it was maximum character diversity with minimum resources.

From a gameplay perspective: A lot of people underestimate what Isabelle could bring to the table. Many of the characters introduced in 64 and Melee don't bring anything groundbreaking to the game. It only takes a few extremely unique moves to change things entirely. Duck Hunt's can is probably the best example. Villager's moveset with having his aerials, and most of his specials changed, is basically a completely different character. We only know one of Isabelle's aerials and we know that Fishing Rod and burying Lloid are possibly game-changing moves. Her up special also has balloons but I can't imagine it would act like Villager's because she can't flap.

5% was knocked off because I wanted her to have a variation of the tree that grows fruit and I wanted her to use the golden watering can.

Last edited:

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Isabelle Satisfaction Rating:
90%

Hmmm, seems most people here are actually quite happy with her. In some groups the outrage after her reveal trailer was enormous. Sadly I still see a lot of hate and memes on her cost. I am happy it´s here more civilized and looking at the satisfaction ratings, it seems so far all characters are appreciated widely.
Personally I don´t care too much about her as a character, but I like to play with Villager and she seems fun. Also has a lot of unique expressions and animations, even a special one when waking up. Though I am already happy with the roster as it is now and am happy about every Newcomer joining. (But I wouldn´t mind Fjorm making it in ^^)

I really don´t get all the hate against here. Her inclusion is totally justified. After all she is the mascot of AC, one of Nintendo´s biggest franchises, bigger than Metroid, Kid Icarus, Star Fox, Mother and Fire Emblem, all franchises that have at least 2 characters. (Though we can´t only go with the sales numbers, otherwise we would need another Game & Watch and Wii Fit fighter, AC is just more relevant and still had enough to offer for a second fighter) Furthermore AC is very relevant right now. With the AC 2019 announcement in this Direct, she was the most obvious choice to reveal, that doesn´t mean other characters like Geno don´t have a chance anymore. From all the first party characters not in Smash, I think she was the most important one left.
An “argument” I see quite often is that she wasn´t a fan favourite and barely anyone wanted her. Which is simply not the case, but it is true, that she wasn´t the most requested in the Smash fandoms. But let´s not forget all the casual and younger fans that aren´t familiar with older or more obscure characters like Geno. The actual majority of people who will buy Smash. Sure, if we look at fanvotes Isabelle isn´t always there and if, mostly at lower ranks (~10), which is still high. I would say that most casual fans don´t vote or even know about such polls, but the actual ballot? I´d say even casual fans knew about that. So who knows how the ballot results actually look like. My guess is that Isabelle placed higher than many seem to expect.

And at all the complaints and fears. There are still over 2 months left. We will likely get a few more fan favourites. And there are already so many great characters people wanted for years, like Ridley, K. Rool and Simon. I really don´t think we are allowed to complain and spread hate that much as a fandom, just because not all agree with one character. Feels a bit spoiled to me. Maybe Sakurai gave us already too many great characters and modes, that people only expect there top 10 and are unhappy with everything else. It´s sad to see that some only think about themselves, only about what they want and forget that there are millions of other fans. (But again, I don´t see any hate here. After all that hate I just had to write my opinion somewhere. At least somewhere, where I don´t get backlash ^^”)

Nominations (if that even is a thing now):
Fjorm: 5x

hildabelle

Smash Rookie
Satisfaction: 100%

Though I haven't posted here until she was already confirmed, if I'm being truthful I'd have likely been 50-60% on her chances before the August Direct, and 80% after, with a steadfast 100% want. As my most wanted character, her getting in would be an automatic 100% satisfaction for me, but the fact that she got in as a full character instead of an Echo has made that 100% all the more enthusiastic. As the character who is Animal Crossing at this point, and easily one of the most important Nintendo characters that was not yet playable, the standalone slot is fully deserved.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction: 85%
I think everyone's being a bit mean to Isabelle. I'm not even an AC fan but it was still cool to see.
And she's just so god dang cute.
Now if you were to ask me to pick Shantae or Geno over her I would have probably pick one of those two. But regardless we have Isabelle.
In my eyes, Isabelle is just an Echo but even more enhanced. I doubt she didn't take much development away from any future characters since she did most likely start as an echo for Villager.
I think everyone's being really salty here that they didn't get their character revealed or the fact that Waluigi and Ashley didn't get in but Isabelle. It's honestly childish. Just grow up and learn to accept it. I had to when I learnt that Bayonetta was the Smash Ballot winner and I didn't get Tails or Sora.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Speculation season is reaching its twilight. A single box, and suddenly the noose is tightened around the chances of all remaining candidates far faster than anyone could've prepared for. There may be fewer days left for speculation to live than there'd be days left worth discussing.

TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom , are we proceeding with where we left off with the rerates, or will we try to cover as much new ground left as we can? I think it's important to figure that out at the present.

Last edited:

BrashCandicoot

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5129-0606-3457
Switch FC
SW-2362-2833-3327
Satisfaction: 95%

I'm a massive Animal Crossing fan so I was very happy at her inclusion in Smash. I think a lot of people were disappointed with Isabelle's addition because of two reasons. The first being that she's a character that isn't "cool" like Geno, Isaac or Shadow and her cute girly appeal probably doesn't appeal to fans who like badass characters. The second reason being because she's a semi-clone and not a Villager echo fighter because of this many people think her character slot is a waste and could possibly pushing out characters with unique movesets. I highly disagree with this statement though because I just don't think all of Villagers moves would fit Isabelle (especially the axe). Overall I'm incredibly satisfied with Isabelle being in Smash and all the salty haters are hating by saying that "Literally no one wanted Isabelle in Smash" when she was a very popular choice in the Ballot era and her pretty much being the face of Animal Crossing means that people do want her to represent her franchise alongside Villager.

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
70%

I am not an Animal Crossing fan, so I didn't jump out of my seat the same way Snake or K. Rool's reveals did, but she is cute, and a nice counter balance to an otherwise male dominated assortment of newcomers. I do wish the trailer had more oomph, though. It lacked that sense of excitement and adrenaline factor normally associated with Smash trailers, but it works for the series Isabelle comes from, which is more chill. I find it plays better when watching it in random, not influence by the excitement of wondering who the next character is. As for gameplay, I don't play Villager, so I don't really know how much she deviates from them. At the very least, I have more reason to dabble with her.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Isabelle Satisfaction: 25%

I'm not that big of a fan of Animal Crossing. And quite frankly her trailer was the worst one so far. It was boring. It doesn't help that King K. Rool was a tough act to follow which Isabelle was a victim of. She's definitely my least favorite Unique newcomer right now.

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Isabelle satisfaction - 100% : She is more important and relevant that almost any character that wasn't already in Smash, represents Animal Crossing - one of Nintendo's flagship IPs, offers us someting more than the edgey characters we've been getting for most of Ultimate so far, and is utterly adorable. I was totally expecting her to be an echo and pleasantly surprised at her being a fully fledged newcomer.

In regards to the trailer - it was cute and fit really well for the format of the direct, but left a bit to be desired for the theatrics we saw with other trailers. Overall still fun though :)

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
For rerates we don’t have too many more, and I am set on riding out the schedule.

Also just going to say this now box theory is such bs. My rating will come tonight.

Expect me to make a long rant about why box theory is not only dumb, but also likely wrong.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
TCT, I think it's dangerous to entirely discount it at this point though. Only what comes next in terms of reveals. I'm already thinking of possibly finally being a little more regular then I was for chances in this thread. But putting a separate rating based on base game speculation based on current speculation theories and then DLC chances as for what would be counted as my actual chance rating.

I do think the box has some merit in an effect on what's left in the base game even if the two characters are not Ken (In which it would be someone else in the 54-61 group) or Incineroar (Which has a few dark horses here and there if you combine the fact music theory is still compatible with the box theory potentially)

I do think it should at least be kept in mind. Even if this makes this thread entirely pessimistic on every character that isn't Ken or Incineroar/Gen 7 Pokemon in general.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
For rerates we don’t have too many more, and I am set on riding out the schedule.

Also just going to say this now box theory is such bs. My rating will come tonight.

Expect me to make a long rant about why box theory is not only dumb, but also likely wrong.
Looking forward to seeing it.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace

I'll look forward to that, but it might be best to post it in the thread for it here aside from in RTC. It's a subject that certainly warrants a discussion of its own. Also looking forward to getting back to the thick of the rerates.

Last edited:

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Isabelle satisfaction rating: 30%
I was never one to care about Isabelle in the first, but I knew she was coming anyway. I was a little bummed because I thought we would for sure be getting a pokemon in the direct, and top that of with a boring trailer, I was a little disappointed. However, I am pleasantly surprised by her (mostly) unique moveset

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok before I do my satisfaction rating. Let me first address the elephant in the room that I feel if I do not, will loom over this thread for a while.

The box theory is pretty wrong. I can say for certainty we are getting more than just one more echo and newcomer.

First of all, the amount of content revealed so far is telling that we are not done yet. Look at it like this. Why when showing off the newcomers, would you sink so much into an 8/8 smash direct, especially given that we have so much more we need to know in another smash direct? I can say for certainty that we willbe having at least one more smash direct. They still need to explain spirits. They still need to go in depth on online. Hell, even assuming we are just getting all star, break the targets, and multi man modes, I still feel that they could easily do two smash directs of around the same run time. That or one bigger one, but I feel spreading out the info would be a better marketing strategy. So with that in mind, do people really think they would end things off with one newcomer (most likely a pokemon) and one more echo? Honestly if you do think that, you need to be less pessimistic.

Second of all, the box is an obvious prototype. Trying to read into patterns is something the smash community is never going to do well with. While the pattern with the box is interesting, it has so much limited info. On one hand, it is an obvious prototype. It was clearly designed when all we knew was stuff from the 8/8 direct. So we are already assuming that it would be lining up to just be two more newcomers and one more echo. But here is the biggest problem with people's logic. Since it is a prototype, we still do not know what is on the other side. Who knows, maybe the original 8 that we start with are not on the box. Maybe it just shows off unlockables. We also have not seen the back of the box. So going off of one prototype, that clearly is outdated, that clearly is easy to change, by just seeing one side, and using that for all our info does not make sense.

To go back on reading into patterns, it never goes well for people. We never really find the method in the madness. Evidence is one thing, but patterns are much weaker. If I were to argue Isabelle was in since she is popular and her AT is missing, that is evidence. If I were to argue that we would get a pikmin newcomer or echo since we got pikmin music on the site, thats something else. Reading deep into a pattern that we still are not sure if it is the final copy or anything else is just... dumb.

Also originally I put some fake leak **** here because box talk was annoying me, we do a bit of trolling.

Now onto the meat of things.

Isabelle

60% Satisfaction

Honestly, I always passively supported Isabelle. I never was someone who was dogmatic (pun intended) about her. I saw she deserved her spot, and I thought she was super likely especially post E3. That being said, part of the reason I wanted her as an echo is because... I am not an Animal Crossing Fan. I have played GC and New Leaf, but I never got into the franchise. I know it is huge and popular, but I just never got into it. I honestly feel alongside Star Fox (Sin and Punishment was always a better rail shooter in all ways except being less charming and goofy) it is one of the more overrated Nintendo properties. So, Isabelle had an uphill battle for me to like her.

And I do like her. Well, I don't hate her. But I guess me seeing her as a shoo in dulled any hype I would have had for the character. In Smash 4, I had zero excitement for Palutena, and I feel most of my reasons parallel. The trailer was obvious who it was for, their moveset did not pop as much as I would like, and I saw them as a near lock so I was never hyped for them. Palutena over Isabelle since I enjoyed Uprising so much. But yeah, Isabelle looks... fine. Am I mad she is in? No. Am I excited? Kinda, I did like Villager in Smash 4. But compared to everything else we have seen so far, she is easily my least hyped character.

Also it does not help the earthquake made me anticipate something more. I dunno, I thought we would get someone destructive for them to delay it. But whatever, I ain't mad. Isabelle and new Animal Crossing were among the highlights of a weak direct.

EDIT: I am still not 100% certain on this stuff, but it is what I heard. If I am wrong, I will look like a total dingus but whatever.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Well anyway

Bandana Dee
Chance 60%
One of the most popular requests worldwide. Would be higher, but there unfortunately not much pointing to him aside from prominence in his own series and his popularity. But I do think that should be enough. I'm just concerned about the limited space to go.
Want: 100%
I love Kirby games, I love Bandana Dee, he should be playable. He's part of the main cast and the Kirby series would be incomplete without him. I need my Dee.

Magolor
Chance 6%
It's possible, he's also popular. But Bandana Dee outranks him in EVERYTHING
Want 3%
Not before Bandana Dee, and even then there are others I'd prefer.

Nominate No More Stages x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Bandana Dee

Chance: 25%
He is a pretty popular pick and has been heavily promoted in the Kirby series, but I just can't see him getting in over more popular picks like Skull Kid, Geno, or Isaac.

One thing I am absolutely certain about though is that if Bandana Dee makes it in, there is going to be a ton of salt from all the people who don't know of his role in the Kirby games (even worse than the salt from Isabelle's reveal).

Want: 45%
I'm indifferent about him. I know that he isn't just a normal Waddle Dee but there are other characters I'd like to see, and I never really got into the Kirby games. That said I think Smash is long overdue for a lance/spear based fighter.

-----

Megalor Magalor Magolor
TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom I hate to be that person but you should fix his name in the title (his name is really confusing and took me a while to get used to).

Chance: 5%
Fairly popular in Japan but he has a lot of competition with Bandana Dee. His support of his inclusion in Smash also seems to have greatly dwindled over the years.

Want: 5%
With King Dedede and to an extent Meta Knight, the Kirby series has more than enough antagonists. If there is to be another Kirby rep, it should be Bandana Dee (and no, I don't count Bandana Dee as a villain just because he was initially an enemy).

-----

Chance predictions:

Dixie: 72.63%
Shantae: 4.83%

-----

Nominations:
Kyo Kusanagi x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My confidence in Bandanna Dee nosedived after Ashley's disconfirmation. Something tells me that even with Waddle Dees being highly marketed in Japan, it might not be enough for Sakurai to consider the character, only having two playable roles in recent Kirby games prior to Smash Ultimate's project plan in 2015 that might not be notable enough compared to highly promoted characters that eye-catching roles like Rosalina (in 3D World) and Isabelle (in Mario Kart 8 for Sakurai to see Dee as a central Kirby character. Compared to Smash 4's project plan when Dee had only one major playable role in RtD to Ultimate's project plan, where Dee had one more playable role in Rainbow Curse, his addition still might be considered pre-mature. Bandanna Dee is the newcomer prediction I feel I will be most wrong about.

---------

x5 Hanafuda character

Finally, this is going to possibly be huge egg on my face, but I feel it is wrong because I ave heared we are getting more than one echo and one newcomer left. Honestly I could say which characters I have heard (I only know of 3 for sure), but I will say I did not hear of Ken or which pokemon it is for sure. That is not saying they are not in. I honestly believe they will be in.

Here is what I have heard
-We are getting more than 103 stages
-Black Knight, Shadow, and Geno are playable for sure from what I have heard.
-Shantae is an assist trophy

EDIT: I am still not 100% certain on this stuff, but it is what I heard. If I am wrong, I will look like a total dingus but whatever.
Interesting, what kind of source are you talking with, if you can specify a little more.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Bandanna Dee: Chance 0% / Want 3%
Box theory doesn't leave him any room and he's not important enough. As a character, he's designed to be the Player 4, so he's got more in common with Waluigi (including the popularity). Never liked the character anyways.

Magolor: Chance 4% chance / Want 5%
Never been a Kirby guy so I really don't care about the characters. He's pretty popular in Japan and distinct enough that he might be DLC but I honestly doubt it. Also box theory.

Noms: Box Theory x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
If Bandana Dee was just a "player 4" he wouldn't be a Dream Friend in Star Allies or Kirby's main sidekick in both Rainbow curse and Battle Royale

Troykv

Smash Master
Ok before I do my satisfaction rating. Let me first address the elephant in the room that I feel if I do not, will loom over this thread for a while.

The box theory is pretty wrong. I can say for certainty we are getting more than just one more echo and newcomer.

First of all, the amount of content revealed so far is telling that we are not done yet. Look at it like this. Why when showing off the newcomers, would you sink so much into an 8/8 smash direct, especially given that we have so much more we need to know in another smash direct? I can say for certainty that we willbe having at least one more smash direct. They still need to explain spirits. They still need to go in depth on online. Hell, even assuming we are just getting all star, break the targets, and multi man modes, I still feel that they could easily do two smash directs of around the same run time. That or one bigger one, but I feel spreading out the info would be a better marketing strategy. So with that in mind, do people really think they would end things off with one newcomer (most likely a pokemon) and one more echo? Honestly if you do think that, you need to be less pessimistic.

Second of all, the box is an obvious prototype. Trying to read into patterns is something the smash community is never going to do well with. While the pattern with the box is interesting, it has so much limited info. On one hand, it is an obvious prototype. It was clearly designed when all we knew was stuff from the 8/8 direct. So we are already assuming that it would be lining up to just be two more newcomers and one more echo. But here is the biggest problem with people's logic. Since it is a prototype, we still do not know what is on the other side. Who knows, maybe the original 8 that we start with are not on the box. Maybe it just shows off unlockables. We also have not seen the back of the box. So going off of one prototype, that clearly is outdated, that clearly is easy to change, by just seeing one side, and using that for all our info does not make sense.

To go back on reading into patterns, it never goes well for people. We never really find the method in the madness. Evidence is one thing, but patterns are much weaker. If I were to argue Isabelle was in since she is popular and her AT is missing, that is evidence. If I were to argue that we would get a pikmin newcomer or echo since we got pikmin music on the site, thats something else. Reading deep into a pattern that we still are not sure if it is the final copy or anything else is just... dumb.

Finally, this is going to possibly be huge egg on my face, but I feel it is wrong because I ave heared we are getting more than one echo and one newcomer left. Honestly I could say which characters I have heard (I only know of 3 for sure), but I will say I did not hear of Ken or which pokemon it is for sure. That is not saying they are not in. I honestly believe they will be in.

Here is what I have heard
-We are getting more than 103 stages
-Black Knight, Shadow, and Geno are playable for sure from what I have heard.
-Shantae is an assist trophy

Yeah not much. If I hear anything more, I will post it. But yeah. I am going to say that Box theory is not happening, I am very confident in that.

Now onto the meat of things.

Isabelle

60% Satisfaction

Honestly, I always passively supported Isabelle. I never was someone who was dogmatic (pun intended) about her. I saw she deserved her spot, and I thought she was super likely especially post E3. That being said, part of the reason I wanted her as an echo is because... I am not an Animal Crossing Fan. I have played GC and New Leaf, but I never got into the franchise. I know it is huge and popular, but I just never got into it. I honestly feel alongside Star Fox (Sin and Punishment was always a better rail shooter in all ways except being less charming and goofy) it is one of the more overrated Nintendo properties. So, Isabelle had an uphill battle for me to like her.

And I do like her. Well, I don't hate her. But I guess me seeing her as a shoo in dulled any hype I would have had for the character. In Smash 4, I had zero excitement for Palutena, and I feel most of my reasons parallel. The trailer was obvious who it was for, their moveset did not pop as much as I would like, and I saw them as a near lock so I was never hyped for them. Palutena over Isabelle since I enjoyed Uprising so much. But yeah, Isabelle looks... fine. Am I mad she is in? No. Am I excited? Kinda, I did like Villager in Smash 4. But compared to everything else we have seen so far, she is easily my least hyped character.

Also it does not help the earthquake made me anticipate something more. I dunno, I thought we would get someone destructive for them to delay it. But whatever, I ain't mad. Isabelle and new Animal Crossing were among the highlights of a weak direct.

You know; now that you mentioned it; it would be kind of cute to put the original Smashers in their own section in the box separated from the rest.

BTW; if some of the characters (the original 8) are in their own section of the box instead of the sides; it would mean Smash Bros Ultimate would still have several newcomers left... still... I'm already prepared for the worst.

Last edited:
Top Bottom