• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Tetra

Chance: 10%
Fairly popular and Toon Zelda was considered for Brawl, but Wind Waker's days of relevance have of course went down over the years. I feel like Impa would have higher priority due to her significance in the series, and they could always make a BotW Zelda since that's the most recent game.

Want: 70%
Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games so I'd be down for Tetra as a character.

Nominations: Terry Bogard x10 (or x5 if x10 ended)

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Tetra - Another Zelda
Chance - 12%
She gets a small chance of popping in if Sakurai is truly trying to showcase the different generations of Zelda. But she is outdated in general and her main holding has been the mined Brawl data and the bandwagon that of course comes with that type of thing giving her some popularity. I just really doubt she has that "Ultimate" aspect to her though.
Want - 0%
Captain Syrup would be a more interesting pirate addition in my honest opinion. And more versions of Zelda and Link is flat out the most boring additions for the LoZ or Smash series in general. Do we really need or want 3 versions of both Link and Zelda? Is Pink Gold Zelda next?

Nominations- Umm... who now. Ugh.... 5/10x Pikmin Newcomer (I guess I should finish what I started, even though Pikmin 4 still being in the shadows is a really bad sign for that to happen.)

Fire wrestler cat really did sky rocket up there, I'm happy he ended up next to Primarina as both of them got actual chance recognition after the shocking return of Ivysaur!

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Leafy
Chance: 5%
Again, getting a Zelda newcomer is iffy to me. I don't really see it being her. Pretty sure Toon Link still will be the only character representing Wind Waker.

Want: ABSTAIN

Incineroar: 16.82%

All in on those canon voices

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Tetra

Chance: 9%
I guess it’s possible, she was previously considered, is sort of popular and was reoccurring. If the game skews toward the ballot, I can’t see her getting in though.

Want: 100%
I love the Wind Waker “saga”, so yeah, I’d like Tetra in.

Incineroar prediction: Expecting something high cause of Vergeben, 23%

Nominations: NintenX5
DemilleX5

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Tetra
Chance:abstain

Want: 2% Never really a fan of her. I don't care for her either. But I'd be happy for her fans

Incineroar prediction: 25%
Nominations: Zero x10 or x5 if we're using that again

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Oh boy, Incineroar day is going to be interesting given recent news.

Tetra: 5% chance / 50% want
'Toon' Zelda series hasn't done much since Smash 4 (because BotW was such an undertaking), and so she's less relevant than before. I also don't think she was a popular ballot pick if the ballot is important, as Skull Kid and Impa are, likely, higher scoring.

x10 nomz Tapu Koko

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Tetra the pirate leader

Chance: 18%
Tetra's had some amount of support and it's not unreasonable to think a Zelda newcomer is possible, though that means she has some competition as well. She's also had her chance to shine in Hyrule Warriors but I don't know if that works for or against her. It's an attestation of her popularity, at least.

Want: 55%
She's a cool girl with a good personality, I'd be happy with her.

Nominations:
Viridi x10

Predictions
Incineroar: 20.8%

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Tetra
She's still got good support after all this time, and she'd probably make for an interesting moveset. Unfortunately, her time has likely passed.

Want: 70%
Windwaker was my favorite Zelda game until BotW. I wanted Tetra back in Brawl and I would still like to see her now.

Style Savvy character x10

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Tetra want: 0% (0.5-10*)

Does she do actual pirate stuff in any games? In Wind Waker, I think I saw her use a dagger once and maybe slide on a rope. It's been a long time since I played that game, but I'm pretty sure she didn't do much that would qualify as a fighting game move.

I also didn't really care much about her character. Again, maybe she's fleshed out more in another game.

So arguments based on slapping a "pirate" moveset on her and arguments that she's a cool character both fail to sway me.

Nominations:

FE Spear User x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A Third Zelda

Want: 0%

I like Zelda, but can we get some characters in who aren't the Triforce trio?

I think for the most part, her time has passed. She's been in a few games, but none as featured as Wind Waker. Beyond that, she did make it into HW...or at least the remake.

Still, the Zelda series is languishing and I don't see Sakurai reaching back to give it a character. Skull Kid's in an interesting circumstance since the MM3D remake was right in time, while the WWHD came a bit on the early side (more relevant for SSB4). OTherwise, I'd have pegged Midna as having the best chances with her remake coming right during the planning phase, but she's already been seen.

As much as I'd like a Zelda newcomer, I favor 1) Urbosa, 2) Midna, 3) Skull Kid. Tetra's pretty low on the list.

Nom: Are we still on 10s? FoDx10
Prediction for Incineroar: 50.0% and loads of John Cena jokes.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Tetra
Chance 20%
Right now, she's probably Skull Kids biggest competition, especially if Impa just gets in as an Echo. She's been in more than one game, fairly popular and is well remembered. She basically front lined promotion for HWL, and even got a Mario costume. Thankfully Skull Kid seems to have much more popularity (especially smash popularity), more iconic (thanks to the mask) and has great timing with 3D remake of his game.
Want 23%
Again, would rather Skull Kid, but I guess I wouldn't mind Tetra. Although she was fairly unfun in Hyrule Warriors and her voice was annoying. But I still think it should be Skull Kid.

Nominate Daroach x5/10

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Tetra

Chance 1%
At most she could maybe be a Toon Link echo, but do we need that? She'd be lucky to be an assist trophy

Want 100%
I love Tetra as a character, one of the reasons I love Wind Waker so much. Easily my most wanted Zelda newcomer that probably will never happen.

Nominate
x10 Viridi

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Tetra

Chance - 5% - While she has been something of a popularity, the lack of the Toon side of Zelda doesn't do her any favors. She needs some event to get her relly back into the spotlight, because popularity alone right now I think is not going to cut it for Zelda. And no, Hyrule Warriors doesn't count enough.

Want - 75% - I flip flop between wanting her and Vaati for my Zelda choice. She'd be fun, and I do like giving a bit more to Toon Link.

Predictions

Incineroar - 34.82% - I have no clue how people will feel about this one...

Nominations

Nihilego X10

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Chances; 20%
Kinda hard to see happening considering how Wind Waker isn't super relevant (Though it did have the remaster), and the limited newcomer slots. And I feel that she isn't really the most highly requested Zelda characters out there.

Want: 45%
As I've mentioned before, I lowkey want another Zelda newcomer, because I feel it deserves more characters aside from the Triforce trio with two extra Links. Impa or Skull Kid would be my preferred choices though. Impa since she could potentially represent Skyward Sword and is one of the few characters that reoccurs in almost every game, and Skull Kid just because I love Majora's Mask and I think he's cool. Tetra would be pretty neat, being a pirate, a female character, and so on, but I can't say she edges out Impa or Skull Kid for me, partially because we've got Toon Link for Wind Waker representation. Wouldn't be really against her though.

Nominations: Phoenix Wright x5/10

Last edited:

DjinnandTonic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-5629-0198
Tetra:

Chance: 13%
I guess? She doesn't seem particularly likely, but not an impossibility like a lot of upcoming speculations...

Want: 20%
Not all that attached to her or Wind Waker overall, but she's a generally-likable and well-written character, which earns my respect at least.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Tetra

Chance: 20%
Want: 50%

She does have an edge since it seems like she's one of the forbidden 7(Toon Sheik) from Brawl so Sakurai could revisit the idea. But I don't know. She does fall into the one off character trap too.

Incineroar Prediction: 17.77%

Nominate Concept: More Than 5 Unique Newcomers x10

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Tetra
Chance: 0%
I don't think so. I mean, Toon Zelda/Sheik were a thing but it's too late for Tetra. It's even doubtful we'll get a true Zelda newcomer at this point but if there is one I don't think it'll be a WW character.

Want: 45%
She would be cool and I do like her, but I really want Impa and characters from the different races more.

Nominations: Medusa x 5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Neon Tetra

Chance: 10%. Echo Fighters killed her. I always envisioned her as a way to preserve the Classic. transforming Zelda/Sheik duo. Now that Clones don't get much effort, I can't see it happening. Only way I can see her happening is "Even scrapped characters are here!"

Want: 40%. Would be neat to see

Nominations: Blacephalon x Max (Is it 5 or 10 now?)

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Tetra

Chance: 17%
I actually think Tetra is one of the more likely additions if Sakurai feels like adding a Zelda character this time around. She's a popular character among the Zelda community, and may have possibly been considered before. Considering this game is built on fan demand Sakurai might be looking for a new Zelda character to add since fans have been asking for a new one for a while now. I've always been the one to argue that we could see 3 different variations of Link or Zelda in Smash someday, and we now have 3 Links in the game. So a third Zelda isn't out of the realm of possibility. Wouldn't even be surprised if Sakurai wanted there to be 3 Zeldas to match 3 Links.

So Pirate Ship is the only Zelda stage that hasn't been shown off for this game in some way, shape, or form. Since the developers thought it was a popular enough stage to bring back for DLC in Smash for Wii U with a new Omega form and everything, I doubt they'll be cutting the stage. On the website it shows that Toon Link's home stage is Spirit Train, so maybe they're saving Pirate Ship for Tetra.

While Tetra isn't the most relevant Zelda character at this point, she has been featured in multiple Zelda games. Most Zelda characters are lucky to be featured in more than one. She was referenced a few times in Spirit Tracks, and featured in a mini game attached to Four Swords Adventures. They also lead the marketing campaign for Hyrule Warriors Legends with Tetra as the first new character, so the developers must've thought she was a popular enough character to do so. She's also still on the box art for the Definitive Edition.

I'd also like to bring up that her trophy is one of the few that has meaning in the Smash Tour mode, which could be Sakurai's way of acknowledging her importance to the Zelda franchise. It may hint at the idea that Tetra could be one of the first Zelda characters Sakurai might look at when considering additional playable Zelda characters someday. Because Sakurai chose to acknowledge her importance in that way instead of an Assist Trophy that probably makes her more likely to be looked at as a potential playable character.

I wanted to remind you all that Hyrule Warriors Legends' marketing campaign began only a couple months after the Smash Ballot opened, which could've caused more people to vote for Tetra and made her a Zelda character to consider. The project plan for Smash Ultimate was finished toward the end of 2015 only a few months before HWL launched. That makes Tetra relevant again when they would've been considering playable characters for Smash Ultimate, and Hyrule Warriors is still relevant to this day with the Definitive Edition launching a few months ago. So Tetra would've been one of the few Zelda characters that made the most sense to add to the roster at that time since she's a popular and well known Zelda character while being kept relevant in some form.

While I feel that people may be sleeping on Tetra's chances, I'm still giving her a low-ish score because I'm still realistic about her odds. I do believe she's the most likely new Zelda addition we could see though. And when you think about it I'm basically giving her nearly a 1 in 6 chance. I'll give the pirate princess a total of 17%.
It's still a new Zelda character even if said character is a different form of Zelda...

Even though she's my most wanted potential Zelda newcomer I do try to remain unbiased when looking at all the possible Zelda characters we could see in Smash. After the E3 presentation for Smash Ultimate I just happened to feel that Tetra stood a pretty good chance if we were to get an additional Zelda representative. I really like her character, and I think it would be cool to give Toon Link a partner. I love Wind Waker and the other Toon styled Zelda games, so for me I'd like to see another Toon character get in. Tetra would be my number one pick since she could easily be unique with a pirate themed moveset that we haven't seen in Smash yet.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Tetra

Chance - 1%

Not relevant, two-off character (Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass), not really a popular Smash pick... so on and so forth.
If we're getting a new Zelda character, I'm 99% sure we'll be getting Skull Kid, simply due to his massive popularity alone.

I could see her as Toon Link echo though. Maybe? Who knows.

Want - 0%

If we're getting a pirate character, I'd rather have King K. Rool or Captain Syrup from Wario Land. Remember Wario Land? Nintendo sure doesn't.
If we're getting a new Zelda character, I'd rather have probably anyone else. Impa, Midna, Skull Kid, Tingle, a BotW champion, you name it. Anything is better than a third Zelda, when we already have three Links.

Nominations:
[Stage] Poke Floats x10

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Tetra

More likely than some character we've ranked recently but still not a great chance, She's somewhat popular, but primarily known for one game which isn't one of the more recent ones. Not quite as popular as someone like Skull Kid, either, and I'm not even convinced we'll get a Zelda newcomer at all.

Want: 80%

There's other stuff I want more than a Zelda newcomer personally, but if we get one Tetra's the one that interests me the most and it's honestly not even close. Wind Waker is simply one of the Zelda games I've had the most fun with and I quite like her. I think she would be a fun character. I also don't care at all that she'd be a third Zelda.

Nominations: Heihachi x10

DivineWrath45

Smash Cadet
Tetra

If they were to add another Zelda character, I feel like it's going to be Tetra. I mean, Toon Zelda was a thing back in Brawl, but I don't think Sakurai would even consider it, especially since she has competition with Impa for the slot. Not to mention, Wind Waker is kinda outdated right now and is no longer relevant.

Tetra is one of my favorite character in Wind Waker. She's kinda cool since she's a pirate and I like her design as well. I kinda prefer her over Sheik as Zelda's alter ego.

Nominations:
Saber (Artoria Pendragon) x10

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Tetra Chance: 25%

Alright, hear me out. A Zelda newcomer isn't particularly likely in my eyes, none of them are. Even now I'm not too confident on us getting anyone including Impa, Tetra, Skull Kid, a Champion, etc. However.....I feel like Tetra has more going for her than she's given credit for. This is a fairly long post, so I decided to spoiler all of my arguments.

First off, Toon Zelda and some counterpart of her (named "toon_sheik" in the coding, I believe) were planned for Brawl. They were cut due to time constraints, and there isn't anything specifically suggesting that Tetra was the counterpart planned, rather than an actual Toon version of Sheik......but, really, I find it nigh-impossible to believe that Tetra wasn't considered if Toon Zelda, the two essentially being the same person, was. It's all but clear that she's been considered before, imo. She could definitely appear on Sakurai's radar again. I can't possibly imagine that one would be considered again without the other being considered, too, but I still believe Tetra's got a bit more going for her than TZ does.

I actually think The Wind Waker and it's sequels have been treated very well since Toon Link's debut in Brawl. Brawl not only featured the debut of Toon Link as a Smash fighter, but also came with a stage from his game, Tetra's own Pirate Ship. It returned in 4, and the Spirit Train from Spirit Tracks (one of Wind Waker's two sequels) appeared as a new stage in the 3DS version. As well as that, later versions of Hyrule Warriors (starting with Legends) began to incorporate tons of content from the Wind Waker. Several characters from the game made appearances and most of them were playable Warriors, Tetra included. She was also used to help market and promote Legends, as has already been pointed out a few posts above. I don't think they would have used just any character for that. We haven't seen much in regards to the "toon" Zelda games from Ultimate as of yet, but then again, we haven't gotten much new info since E3, other than technical info on the game's mechanics and characters based on experiences people have gotten from playing demos of it. We don't yet know what else is in store for the Zelda in general, for this Smash. But with how well the "toon" parts of the Zelda universe have been treated in Smash, I really do think it's possible for another toon-styled Zelda character to join the cast of Smash. There are no good reasons why it would be anyone other than Tetra or Toon Zelda.

Besides having likely already been on Sakurai's radar before, I firmly believe that Tetra is a favorite among Zelda fans. I've seen many fans who very much like and care for her character, and I'm convinced that her popularity at least partly contributed to her addition to the full cast of HW. Okay, so she's not on the levels of someone like Ridley or King K. Rool. There's no debate to be had there. But, she does have a large and loyal fanbase. If she were to ever get in a Smash game, I think now is quite possibly her best shot. This game is all about Nintendo fans and Smash fans. Of the newcomers that remain, I anticipate that at least a few of them will be ones with either large followings, or even a few with cult followings (I wouldn't even say Tetra's fanbase is so minor to the point where I'd say she only has a cult following, but at the same time, it should be noted that it's certainly nowhere near as large of a fanbase as the ones of many other Smash contenders. it isn't, I do understand that. That's perfectly fair, and I do think this is one of the things that hurts her chances.).

Now how about possible competition? Going back to the point that Zelda newcomers aren't likely to begin with, I actually think Tetra still has more going for her than almost any other options. She's only had directly major roles in two Zelda games, but unlike what can be said for characters like Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim or the Champions, she's one incarnation of one of the franchise's lead characters. That alone makes her more significant in the grand schemes of things (she's mentioned in Spirit Tracks, her legacy playing an important part in the game's plot). I think this holds up a little better when you consider that Toon Zelda (one of the LoZ's"Toon Zeldas" being Tetra herself) was already planned in a past Smash game, while, unless I'm mistaken, no other Zelda characters have unquestionably been considered enough to the point where they actually have unused data remaining in a Smash game's final release. As for her not being relevant, well, I don't entirely agree with that. She hasn't appeared in mainline Zelda game in a long while, but she plays an important role in HWL, and with the "Definitive Edition" of the original HW having released only a few months ago, she's not exactly completely out of the spotlight. Honestly, I think the only strong rivals she has right now are Skull Kid and maybe a Champion. I've become more convinced of the former's chances being better lately, based on having a massive following in the Zelda fandom (as well as actually making multiple appearances, something that can't be said about most Zelda characters), and the latter I can't fully doubt because of BotW's timing, it's known relevance so far in Ultimate, and the game's utterly massive success in both sales and reception. I don't even think Impa hurts her odds that much on it's own, since it's fully possible for either to be semi-clones of existing characters, and she's missed out entirely many times while other variations of Link and Zelda have either joined or nearly did so. Tetra is important to the Zelda franchise and it's overall storyline, and while standing directly in the spotlight right now, she's been in a few times in the past few years thanks to HW. I definitely think importance and even a smaller amount of relevance (or possibly good timing) are in her favor.

Movesets? Not my department as far as creating a complete one goes, but I'm fully convinced she could work as a unique pirate fighter, using not only a sword, but bombs, cannons and flintlock pistols. I doubt that';s the sole reason why she'd be considered (really, how many newcomers have been considered purely because of moveset potential? Very few. Even Greninja had at least a little more going for it other than that) but it really all depends on what kind of fighter Sakurai would envision her as. I could see her being a semi-clone, too. I can't say for certain if she could be an echo character, because we don't yet really know exactly what that term means. If it only refers to characters with so few differences from the original fighters they're based on as Daisy, Dark Pit and Lucina, though, then I simply can't imagine Tetra being an echo fighter. Her height and body type are much too different from the other Zeldas. Maybe, maybe she could be a Toon Link echo, but I even that's a stretch. Why make an echo of a semi-clone, especially when we already have another similar semi-clone in the same game, that actually is another Link? Semi-clone or not, I would think Tetra would utilize her agility, weight and speed while fighting. So she'd certainly play differently from whoever she was a clone of, much like Toon Link does from Link. Even semi-clones have had good reasons to be added to the games, and if that's the route Tetra went, I wouldn't exactly disagree with it.

With all that said, I do think we shouldn't consider Tetra more likely than not. Zelda newcomers being unlikely or being in odd positions, those are topics that have been discussed on this site so much that going into them again is kind of beating a dead horse. We don't know for sure who "toon_sheik" really was or if she's been thought of again rather than Tetra, and she does still have potential competition. So, taking all of this into account, I really, honestly, truly do think that Tetra has more of a fair shot than other Zelda candidates do right now, but that it still isn't a terribly high one. For now, we'll have to wait and see what the future holds for the Zelda franchise. Every Smash entry breaks new ground in some areas. Maybe this will be the one to break more new ground with it's handling of The Legend of Zelda, too.

I think I've been thorough enough with my reasoning for this one post alone. If for any reason anyone replies to this, I'll continue from there instead.

I've said it many times before...........but I'm going to say it again. I love The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker to pieces. It's my favorite game of all time. I've played many games in my life, others have special meanings of their own to me, but none really come close to matching up to the Wind Waker.

As much as I love the other Zelda games, which I really do, Wind Waker is one that always stood out to me among them all. Especially when I was young. One of the first games I ever got was a Zelda Collector's Edition disc for the Gamecube. I loved playing the first two games on it, as well as Ocarina and Majora's Mask, but when I got to the Wind Waker demo it had, I.......really took to it. The style was totally different. Bright, colorful, but also dark and eerie in some areas. It was very cartoonish, and having grown up adoring cartoons, from TV shows to animated films, the artstyle really appealed to me. As did the gameplay, puzzling and action-oriented, just like the others before it. Being able to sail in a much larger, beautiful open world was also an aspect that seriously appealed to me. Alas, the version on the disc was only a demo that lasted 20 minutes, and I couldn't experience anything other than parts of Dragoon Roost Cavern, Windfall Island, and the Forsaken Fortress. For some years to come, I wanted to experience the full game, but.......just never really went out to look for it, for some reason. I dunno, I gotta admit, kid-me was confusing at times, lol. But then one day, my mother saw me playing the game, sailing in it's open oceans. She happened to have been an active player of another game that had sailing as a major part of it's gameplay, so she was pleasantly surprised to see I was sailing in a game as well and took an interest in it herself. After explaining it was just a demo, she set out to look for the full game for me. Some days later, the great mother she is, she happily surprised me with it.

I don't want to exaggerate my experience with this game......but this is my favorite video game ever, so lately, I've decided to take a look back at it and think about exactly why I love this game so much to this day. And now, I think I've found some more answers for that. Paying the great amount of attention to the details of this game that I did, I think that this game actually introduced a lot of new concepts to me. I meandered around the levels of many video games, but I didn't do in-depth exploration on the main world of one, nor all it contained, until I started playing games like the Wind Waker and Pikmin 2. The game's world was just way too open. I wanted to know what else was out there. How far I could go, who I could meet, what I could do, the secrets of each and every island, combat the different monsters throughout the sea, all the different kinds of adventures I could have......Wind Waker was kind of a first for me there. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had large worlds, but the former was more linear, and I didn't click with the latter as much as I did with the Wind Waker, despite still liking it. So you could say the Wind Waker is likely one of the first games that really started to make me think about how to solve problems, as well as to actually explore a large world when given one. Other Zelda games had given me similar puzzle challenges, obviously, but I think I got farther in this one sooner than I did in the other games largely because the Wind Waker's warm and silly cartoonish aesthetics just clicked with me much more back then (I still adore the game's style now, but I've learned to appreciate the aesthetics of the other games more as I grew up.)

......But I digress. This is about Tetra specifically, is it not? I gotta say, I actually didn't initially like Tetra at all, because of how much of a jerk she was to Link early on, as well as how full of herself she seemed to be. But her saving the day by rescuing Link's sister and the other captives, then even staying behind to provide backup when he confronted Ganondorf? I can't say I expected her to make such moves at that point. Then the revelations with her origins, followed by her subsequent character development won me over. She's been a favorite character of mine for a long time since. And her role in the game's conclusion only helped further. I had seen characters develop, change and and redeem before, but I don't think I had ever really noticed or thought about just how significant the changes characters had gone through were, until I played this game. And well, I suppose I just happened to really like Tetra's character afterwards. She's a very strong character who was written very well. By the time I had beaten the game, I felt victorious, but also compelled and a bit saddened. It was bittersweet. Even the mere credits gave me that same kind of feeling, with it's beautiful soundtrack, the knowledge the adventure had come to an end, and that last shot of Link and Tetra, side by side, at the very end. I was just really moved.

So let's move on to Smash real quick, I got Super Smash Bros Melee. as a birthday gift at one point in my life. I liked it. A lot. So when I heard Brawl, a sequel to it, was recently released, I got it almost immediately. And while playing it, I actually thought about how cool it'd be if that Wind Waker's Link was playable in one of these Smash games, but I was quick to dismiss the possibility. I didn't think it had any chance of happening. So imagine my joy and shock when I suddenly see him as one of the last unlockable challengers ,accompanied by Tetra's pirate ship and one of my favorite songs from the Wind Waker playing in the background. Since then, I've wanted to see Tetra in Smash, as well. I wouldn't be supporting her this much now if Toon Link, my favorite incarnation of Link from my favorite game, wasn't playable either. Since Brawl, I always thought it had become a real possibility for her to be playable in a Smash game. And I would really like to see a day where that happens.

I don't care that she's another Zelda. I don't care that we'd have three Zeldas on the roster, or that we'd have that in addition to three Links. I just really like Tetra as a character, and I adore the relationship between her and Link. She's simply one of my favorite incarnations of Princess Zelda. What I experienced from playing the Wind Waker was so new to me at the time, and the game as a whole just means so much to me. Even putting aside any good influences it might've truly had on me, I also simply have many fond memories of playing the game as a kid. And so, it's my favorite game of all time, Seeing Tetra playable would make me overjoyed not just because of how I like her character, but also because of how much the game she's from means to me. It was a big part of my childhood and I still very much enjoy the game to this day. On top of that, I fully believe she'd make for a fun, quick, pirate-style fighter, no matter how she would be handled as a Smash character. Normally I don't give 100% want scores out for characters I don't consider likely, because I know I'd be just fine if they didn't make the cut, but Tetra is an exception. She's one of my favorite characters from my #1 favorite video game, period. I don't think she's likely, I've already gone over that. But you can safely bet that no other newcomer joining the fight could make me happier than if it were her. Only King K. Rool comes anywhere remotely near to the same level for me at this point.

Inceniroar Prediction: 36%

I'm expecting a certain leak to positively affect more than a few chance scores.

No nominations this time. Most of the characters on my radar have already been rated by now.

Last edited:

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Tetra

Chance: 15%
The Zelda series really needs another rep in Ultimate and as much as I like Tetra to be the one taking up the slot, she has competition with other Zelda characters that also want the slot, like Impa or the BOTW Champions.

Want: 55%
Wind Waker is one of the games I played on Gamecube all the time. She's one of those characters that I find intriguing, but I still like Sheik more than Tetra.

Nominations:
Saber (Fate/stay night) x10

D

Deleted member

Tetra
Want: 0%
[...] I prefer to see under-repped series like Donkey Kong and rising ones like Xenoblade getting newcomers first rather than a series which has been obscenely over-milked those last 7 years outside of Smash.
And having :ultlink:, :ultzelda:, :ultsheik: and :ultganondorf: updated design-wise and moveset-wise and :ultyounglink: returning is more than enough already.

Noms:
Concept: Target Test and Platform Test stage builder x10

Incineroar prediction: 30.41%

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
tetra
chance
another option for a zelda newcomer. But I don't think we will be seeing her if we would have it would had been in Brawl or Smash 4 when she was more well known and with a limited newcomer amount I think her ship has sailed (hah get it)
15%

want
she could have a interesting moveset and a fun playstyle. But it would be another zelda in a way so it would be 3 zeldas so I personally would rather have a completly new charcter from the zelda francise (just not tingle)
10%

predicting
incenoroar 25%

nominating (huh labo man made it so now...)
poke floats stage x5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Tetra

Chance: 15%
Her best chance never came. Melee came out a whole year before Wind Waker did, and by the time Brawl showed up, Twilight Princess had come to take the spotlight. In some magical opportunity, Tetra could've piggybacked off of the same logic that got Sheik included, because she's otherwise in the same sorry position as every other Zelda one-shot, with the key difference of being a Zelda herself.

On the other hand, that might be enough for her. The Zelda one-shots face constant competition against each other because they don't really have anything that puts them above the other besides recency - Midna vs. Fi, Skull Kid vs. Ghirahim, any BotW Champion vs. another one. Tetra's only equal competition, as an alternate Zelda in a main LoZ entry, is Sheik, and she's already in the game.

Arguably, Wind Waker's time is past, along with all the other Ocarina of Time-style games that Breath of the Wild swept under the rug. So the only real way Tetra is getting in is if Sakurai feels that his current division of Zelda representation lacks a lot of Wind Waker.

You know, it does me good to see a lot of relatively high Want scores for Tetra, even if her chances aren't so high. Maybe we've gotten better Zelda characters since then, but she's still a fairly bold choice of role on Nintendo's part, who hadn't put such a proactive Zelda before then. If she doesn't get in, I'll probably just use Mii Swordsman again as a substitute.

Prediction:
Incineroar: 12%

Nominations:
Concept: 4-6 Newcomers x10

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Toon Sheik
Unfortunately, she's another one-off Zelda character and doesn't really have that much popularity. She's also Zelda, but looking at Link I'm not sure if that helps or hurts her chances.
Want: N/A

Incineroar prediction: 11%
Noms: All-star versus x10

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Tetra

She has some popularity and has appeared in a handful of games, but I wonder if her ship has sailed (pun not intended). I guess it really boils down to a) if Zelda gets a new character, b) how much of a demand was for her in the ballot, and c) if Sakurai has any interest in bringing a character from Zelda that isn't some form of Link, Zelda or Ganon.

Want: 5%
I like pirates and all, but she just doesn't stand out enough to me. Also, I really don't want another form of Zelda when we have two plus three Links.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Tetra
Chance: 5% -
Wind Waker isn't relevant anymore, and though she is a major character and incarnation of Zelda (Spoiler!) she's not in a prime position to be chosen, even with Wind Waker HD.
Want: 30% - A more unique Zelda character would be welcome, but I still think Impa deserves the spot more. We don't have a pirate yet, either, so yeah, she'd be cool.

Nominations:
Frank West x5

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Tetra
Chance: 1% - Hasn’t appeared in a main series Zelda game in nearly a decade. It also doesn’t help that the forbidden seven showed that Sakurai has already (surprisingly) prioritized Toon Zelda/Sheik over her back when she was at the peak of her popularity.
Want: 10%

Nominations: Edelgard x10

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'm probably not going to be able to participate in RTC during this upcoming week... which is also the week during which a new Smash Direct has been announced. Well, I'm not sure I'll be able to watch it live but in case I can't I asked for help to send me the link of the Direct after it ends so I can watch it unspoilered. Either way I'll probably miss the satisfaction day which sucks a bit. Anyway, good luck for everyone to have their most wanted character revealed during this Direct.

Tetra chances: 7%
There are many Legend of Zelda characters out there that compete for a potential slot, but I don't think any of them stands out much to the point of being a serious contender. Tetra ha the advantage of appearing in multiple games, but I'm not sure it's enough to make her stand out.

Tetra want: 6%
Not really interested. There's some uniqueness in a pirate theming I guess, but that's it.

Incineroar prediction: 18.84%

Nominating:
New item: Beast Ball x10 (or x5 if the extra noms period is over)

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
His name is John Cenaroar

Chance: 25%. While Vergeben would increase this, I'm grading under assumption he's fake. Anyways, Incineroar is possible, but I feel like Sakurai would go for another Pokémon, like Lycanroc, Tapu Koko, or Mimikyu.

Want: 5%. My least favorite of the big Gen 7 ideas. He's not Gen 1, so that gives him a little boost.

Nominations: Blacephalon x10

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Incineroar

Chance: 20% - First off, this rating is without taking anything Vergeben said into account, because what he says means nothing to me. So, Incineroar still has to compete with Decidueye and Dusk Lycanroc for the spot. Incineroar's concept shows a good bit of what he can do, and shows off his personality rather well. It's a matter of whether Sakurai sees more potential in an avian archer or a fiery wrestler. Not to mention a geokinetic hound if Dusk Lycanroc's concept and plans to be pushed in the anime were already established. I view Incineroar's chances below that of Decidueye and Dusk Lycanroc, but he's an underdog that should not be underestimated.

Want: 5% - I'm not going to lie, I'd be pretty disappointed with Incineroar, at least initially. Depending on how he's implemented in Smash, I could warm up to him a bit. As of now, I still vastly prefer Decidueye and Lycanroc. Though I do prefer Incineroar over the rest of the Pokemon Gen VII has to offer for Smash.

Nominations: All to Deconfirmed Character DLC

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Incineroar

Ignoring the Vergeben "leaks" (which I've been starting to doubt as time passes), I just can't see Incineroar being picked over more popular Gen VII reps like Mimikyu or Lycanroc. He is still fairly popular so it could always happen though.

Want: 10%
Out of the popular Gen VII reps (Incineroar, Decidueye, Mimikyu, and Lycanroc) he's probably the one I want the least. I personally think Decidueye would be the best of the Gen VII starters since Smash is lacking grass and ghost-based fighters.

Nominations: Terry Bogard x10

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Heel Tiger

Want: 50%

Well, I guess we're all pretending Vergeben said nothing.

Can't say I'm one for leaks either. Still, he's definitely got the look for Smash and his concept art really showed him in an interesting way. I can see him being chosen. The only hit against him really is his typing, since there are enough characters in the cast who have fire movesets.

If I consider all of the Gen 7 mons, I think I'd prefer Buzzwole most, then Decidueye. Incineroar's probably number 3, though.

Nom: FoD x5

Top Bottom