• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Leon Kennedy
He has competition from other Resident Evil characters, so that knocks him down a bit (although it seems to me that probably they could do an Olimar/Alph thing there).

Beyond that, the issue is his moveset. We know that Sakurai doesn't want to include realistic pistols and things of that nature. We saw how he addressed this with Snake: explosives. But that seems less viable for a Resident Evil character because 1. Snake's already doing it and 2. I feel like it doesn't fit as well?

Capcom is on board with Smash and all that, and Resident Evil has the recognition with high sales globally and multiple movies, but still it doesn't seem like it fits to me.

Leon Kennedy chances: 3%
Overall, I'd give RE like a 6% chance. Jill Valentine and Leon mostly split that equally. The biggest problem is their aesthetic and fitting in without seeming redundant with Snake who already required similar accommodations.
Leon Kennedy want: 0%
I wasn't that into Resident Evil, but I already don't think Snake really belongs. He's grandfathered in for "everyone is here!" but I don't want more of that.

Nominations: Concept: Custom moves return x5
(we've certainly seen some suggestion that they're gone... but not 100% confirmation)

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Leon Kennedy

Chance: 5%
Nyapparently may be possible, but I'm a bit skeptical nyabout him still nya. While there's nyo rule stating we can't have a 3rd Capcom character, it just seems unlikely imo nya. And of course like a broken record, he faces plenty of competition from nyalot of 3rd party characters (and Jill) nya.

Want: 75%
I love horror, it's very fun to terrorize nyurself with things that scare nyu half to death nya. Seeing anyone from a horror game playable in smash would be ok with me nya~ Even if it's the guy killing the monster zombie t-virus things with guns, and nyot the monster/ghost/cupcake/xenomorpth/merkava/whatever nya~ Though I think it'd be a little weird (and pretty humorous) to see someone associated with killing mutated undead humans and puppies popping a bullet into Luigi's head in a fighting game nya.:nifty:

Nyominations
Ayumi Tachibana: x5

Gamer-YTP

Smash Rookie
NNID
GTP376Number2
Leon S. Kennedy:

Chance: 20%
I agree that Resident Evil is a huge franchise not just for Nintendo, but for gaming as a whole, and should be represented in Smash at some point down the line. However, I feel like Jill is a way more iconic and overall better representative to the franchise than Leon is, and that of all the Capcom franchises, Ace Attorney is more likely to be represented in Smash than Resident Evil at this point in time.

Want: 30%
I'm as big a fan of Capcom as I am Nintendo, so anyone from Capcom would be welcome to me. But I really want Jill more tbh.

Nominations:
Sub-Zero (Mortal Kombat)
Gengar (Pokemon)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Leon Kennedy
Capcom is not likely getting another rep at launch. If they were, RE is definitely possible despite the M rating. There's a pretty good history of the series on Nintendo consoles. Even then, I feel Jill would be the pick, or even Chris before Leon.

Want: 50%
I think an RE character is a solid pick for third party representation, but I would rather have the RE1 protagonists. Nothing against Leon, they're just more iconic to me.

Nominations: Neku x 5

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Oh hey, we're finally done re-rating.

Leon Scott Kennedy
Chance: 10%
If we were to get a RE character, I think it would be Leon or Jill. I might consider Jill more likely, but not by much. However, there are problems with getting a RE character in the first place: Capcom already having two reps and the explicit need for firearms. It's possible Sakurai won't care about either of these, but precedent isn't there.

This is a rare situation for me where I'd actually prefer the male character over the female even though I like both. I'd still be pretty excited for Jill, but I have to admit that if I could pick one of the two, I'd pick Leon. RE4 is one of my favorite games ever.

Nominate Style Savvy character x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Leon Kennedy

An odd choice; but not the most outstanding I have ever seen; and he's definitely popular; coming from one of the most succesful games from one of the most succesful franchises in the industry.

Want: 51%

I prefer him above many of the other RE/Biohazard options.

Predictions

Slippy: 6.4%

Nominations:

Ayumi Tachibana x3
Adeleine x2

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Leon Kennedy Chance - 0.5%: Resident Evil getting a character would be pretty random, for reasons others have said before me. It suffers a lot of competition from Capcom's other franchises. This would have to be some kind of long term deal with Capcom to let Sakurai use Megaman to happen, and I just don't see it being that extreme. Resident Evil is Capcom's franchise they push the most besides Street Fighter, but even then it is a bit competitive with Monster Hunter. Anyway, even if there is a RE rep, even then Leon suffers competition from Wesker and Jill. Leon is not as clear cut of a frontrunner for the franchise as he is being presented here.

Leon Kennedy Want - 25%: Would rather have Wesker of course, but Resident Evil would be interesting to see represented, if not something I'm going to get incredibly enthusiastic about.

Nominate Fawful x5

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Leon S. Kennedy

I don't see anything wrong with another Capcom character, and Resident Evil is certainly worthy of All Star status. And if we get a character from that series, Leon is a good choice. However, the competition is tight so chances are a bit low. Other characters from M-Rated games are included, so that wont work against him at least.

Want: 40%
Not one of my most wanted, but a solid pick none-the-less.

Though he could do this, my want score will be 100%.

D

Deleted member

Leon S. Kennedy
Chance: 20%
Resident Evil is big, though its mature universe is probably going to be a major issue.
Want: abstain
I'm tempted to say he's going to be a second :ultsnake: as he use realistic weapons, but given I haven't played to any RE game, I restrict myself.

Noms:
Female announcer x5

Slippy Toad prediction: 11.34%

Last edited by a moderator:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Abstaining from today since I'm not that familiar with the character to give an accurate rating score.

------

Predictions

Slippy (Star Fox): 9.14%

Prominent Star Fox character, but he doesn't seem to be that requested. Still, with Wolf already in the game and Krystal as an Assist Trophy, maybe there is a chance.

------

Nominations

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney): x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Leon
Chance - 5%
He's sort of iconic, but he has compensation in his own company and series. I honestly am thinking it will be Monster Hunter if Capcom gets another.
Want - 20%
He's alright, I never played the series though. I'm not only expecting Monster Hunter more so than Leon, but I also want it more. So he suffers a bit for being competition for something I'm rooting for.

Nominations - 5x Incineroar

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Leon S. Kennedy
Chance: 50%

One of the most popular protagonists of Resident Evil. He debuted in RE2 and went on to star as the main protagonist of RE4. Wildly considered to be one of the greatest video games of all time, receiving may awards and also being one of the most influential, making a great impact on the Third-person shooter genre. Looking at third parties we already have in Smash they all fit a genre. Cloud representing JRPGs, Ryu representing 2D fighters, Bayonetta representing Hack n' Slash, etc, so I Leon would be able to represent the Third-person shooter/Survival horror genres, neither have been represented by a third-party character so far. With these positives I could very well see him being the :ultcloud:of Smash Ultimate. Tho unlike him Leon has way more history on Nintendo platforms with RE2 having a N64 version and RE4 originally being a Gamecube timed-exclusive and it also getting Wii port later on.

There are some negatives however, mainly three. I'll try to soften those a lill bit.

''HE'S GOT HEAVY COMPETITION FROM OTHER THIRD-PARTY CHARACTERS/CAPCOM CHARACTERS/RE CHARACTERS''
Yes, there are many Third-party characters Sakurai could pick for this Smash instalment, but I'll believe this is mainly due to the ballot. If it wasn't for that then I wouldn't really get my hopes up for characters like Rayman and Crash. Sakurai tends to look at Japanese Third-party franchises first, of which Resident Evil seems to be the highest selling eastern series without Smash reprentation as of right now. It's internationally succesfull. This is why I think characters like the Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright might not be that much of competition. Combining the global sales from the Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney franchises they still don't come close to RE's 80+ million units. If the ballot ends up not mattering as much as we thought, I could see RE being one of the highest priorities for Third-party newcomers.

Also, while Capcom indeed tends to jump to people like Jill or Chris for RE when it comes to crossovers, Sakurai still makes the decissions. He's very likely aware of how big of a deal RE4 is. He also put in Cloud because of him being the most requested FF character. Since I imagine RE4 being many Nintendo fans introduction to the RE franchise, I could see Leon being the most requested for Resident Evil. And remember the Pacman situation? If Capcom prefers other RE characters I could see that situation happening again. I think Capcom would be okay with it tho. It would be a good marketing strategy for the RE2 remake, which has been in development for quite some time now from what I've heard. Sure, it's not coming to Switch but neither is that FFVII remake. :p

''HE'S VERY RELIANT ON FIREARMS WHICH WOULDN'T FLY IN A COLOURFULL GAME LIKE SMASH, SNAKE WASN'T ABLE TO USE GUNS EITHER''
While we don't know the age rating for this game yet, I likely see it being a T due to Snake and Bayo both being in there. Also remember how Ridley dead*** murdered Megaman and Mario in cold blood in his trailer. Anyway, it's been a decade since Brawl. Snake still likely doesn't have guns for the sake of familliarity. Bayonetta's guns might also disprove this. Sure, they are more colourfull and rediculous than Leon's weapons but they are still clearly pistols that shoot actual bullets. If anything, I could see the general dark nature of the RE franchise being more of a problem for Leon, tho the Metal Gear series might also hold back this issue.

''WE ALREADY HAVE MEGAMAN AND RYU, ADDING A THIRD CAPCOM CHARACTER WOULD BE TO MUCH''
Sure, a third one would be quite pushing it IMO. Then again, back then I also didn't expect a second Capcom character untill Ryu happened. A limit on the amount of third party characters per company is an unwritten rule, which is up to Sakurai to determine. He may or may not care for all the representation Capcom would be getting.

This is quite funny. This has to be my second longest essay for rating a character, yet I'm not actually that huge on RE. I actually only played 4. Still I would be happy if Leon showed up.

Slippy: 6.32%

Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voices x5

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Want: 0%

I don't want characters who are essentially very violent or sexual in Smash. I don't want Snake in Smash. I don't want Bayonetta in Smash.

Nominations:

Neku x5

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Leon S. Kennedy

Resident Evil is one of my most favorite Capcom game of all time and as much as I like Leon to be in Smash Bros., I don't think he's a suitable candidate. Chris Redfield or Jill Valentine would be much better, since they've been featured in Marvel vs. Capcom series.

Want: 30%
I really like Leon as a character, but his chances are really slim, especially since Capcom already had two reps in the game and as mentioned above, Chris or Jill kinda outshines him.

Nominations:

Saber Artoria (Fate) x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The Not-So-Great Leon
Chance: 0.1%
I don't see it happening for a lot of reasons. For starters, we already have 2 Capcom characters, which I know theres no rule against getting more but it's still worth mentioning. There's also other characters that are more requested for Smash like Phoenix Wright. Plus, even if we do get a RE character, it might just end up being Chris.
Edit: Also, apparently, RE2make isn't happening on Switch, so there's that, too.
I'm not much of a RE fan, so yeah.
And I'd rather have Wesker, for egg memes.

Slippy prediction: 4%
Noms: Ken x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
As to Leon himself, he is part of a triumvirate with Chris and Jill. Capcom's other major crossover fighting game has had both of them playable (MVC2, MVC3, UMVC3 for Jill and MVC3, UMVC3, MVCI for Chris). Leon...not. That shows that Capcom didn't even bother to put him their own crossover fighting game, preferring the other two. Will fan-support win out? Or is there a reason that Capcom's not choosing him? And if Resident Evil votes are split between the three, would Sakurai choose him? Or would Capcom suggest one that they like? None of the three is famous on the level of Cloud, so any of them could be a franchise representative.
I brought this up before, but if by good chance that Leon was the most preferred by fans that voted for a RE character in the ballot, he would be the one chosen, regardless of his exclusions in MvC games. The RE character that has the most ballot demand would be the one chosen, to answer the most desires:

https://sourcegaming.info/2016/01/20/sakurai-x-nomura-creator-interview-2016-part-one/

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.

Jill, Chris, and Leon all have their fair share of enormous popularity, legacy, and importance to the Resident Evil series, that I feel ballot demand will ultimately decide who gets in. Whichever character it may be, I am not completely sure. But right now, I think Leon would be the most-wanted RE character.

And as I'd mentioned before, I think Phoenix has more pull for the next Capcom character, since I've heard about him a lot more.
As iconic of a franchise AA is, the franchise does not hold as big of a legacy and success as Resident Evil for me to see it happening. Resident Evil's sales are 12x greater than Ace Attorney's, according to the game series sales chart on Capcom's site. To be honest, I can see Phoenix becoming an Assist Trophy in a somewhat similar vein to Bomberman now. Even when Bomberman had the biggest demand out of Konami characters, he was relegated to an AT. I think franchise legacy/history/impact will be a major factor to third-party inclusions, if Vergeben's Simon leak is any indication. AA is just not as big as RE for me to see Wright getting in as the third Capcom character.

Of course I don't think there is a number of reps-per-company as others like to say, but if we get two more of Capcom's with the two we already have, what will co-developer Namco think since they only have one representative? Does that mean we need a couple more Namcos? Then how many Nintendo newcomers will we get in Nintendo's big crossover? Or will NoA pressure that some Western third parties should be represented *cough ElderScrolls cough*? The whole legalese here is a mess to consider. Anything is possible, but there are still loads of questions.
I don't think third-party company distribution will matter, as I think most newcomer decisions are ultimately up to Sakurai. I think you are adding too many questions that would not relate to the possible negotiation of a RE character. The number of obstacles a Resident Evil character would have to face in negotiation is very small, given Capcom's relationship with Sakurai right now to use other IPs like the numerous iterations of Mega Man and Monster Hunter for Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes and the return of the company's characters in Ultimate. As unlikely Leon might seem to people, he has the most amount of merits and leaves with the least amount of questions (due to RE's iconic legacy and popularity) to get in as the next third-party from a uniquely Japanese, worldwide popular franchise.

Last edited:

Smady

Smash Master
Leon S. Kennedy

Chance: 1%

Capcom already has two characters and I doubt Sakurai would want to negotiate a third, plus this character is barely acknowledged as far as Nintendo systems. The original RE4 was an exclusive for Gamecube before it infamously got ported to PS2, and then eventually to every game system known to man. There was a period where Capcom put every Resident Evil game on Gamecube, the great era where we got Code Veronica X, 0, REmake and RE4, but that's a long time ago.

Leon himself has any competition from Chris for the series, as much as I'd like to see Wesker that's a pipe dream over the generic protagonist. Maybe, maybe you could get Jill over the main two guys if that's especially important, it'd be one of those four. Leon in particular does have the strongest connection to Nintendo given RE4's original exclusivity but as it famously broke exclusivity and happened over a decade ago it's very irrelevant.

Want: 25%

I'm a Resident Evil fan and I personally don't have any desire to see it represented in Smash Bros. Wesker is the only character who would make for a good Smash moveset (I should know seeing as I made a very detailed one) and his chances are unfortunately magnitudes lower than Leon, Chris or Jill. The best addition RE could make to Smash is stages, items and assist trophies or hazards. There are so many great things to adapt there... just not newcomers besides Wesker.

As far as personal taste I like Leon as a protagonist but his set would just be worse Snake for all intents and purposes. If it was based on RE2 so had some connection to the classic games and not RE4 you might be able to conjure up a half inspired set, but that's obviously not going to happen. For me to really want this at all it'd have to specifically focus on the classic old RE games and not the new ones post-4, not that I hate the series post-4 for the most part it's just a lot more generic and bland.

Fawful x5

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Leon chances: 11%
My strategy as usual: I give plausible third-parties a fairly low chance score and assume that cumulated it makes it unlikely that we will get none. This one in particular comes from a famous series that had games on Nintendo consoles most notably the GameCube, but with so many contenders I'm not sure Leon has a much higher chance than most. At least being from a company already involved in Smash helps.

Leon want: 10%
I'm not familiar with the character or series, and don't have much of an idea of what he'd bring in Smash. What I know is that RE is a fairly big series, so maybe it's not a terrible choice.

Slippy prediction: 14.53%

Nominating:
New item: Beast Ball x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Leon S. Kennedy

I kind of doubt a third party will get more than two characters, but if one does it probably would be Capcom since they have quite a few big franchises left. Resident Evil is iconic and has a Nintendo presence, but there is also Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney (though I think RE would be more likely than the latter at least), and RE does have Chris and Jill as well. I don't see him as likely, but he's not impossible.

No connection to Resident Evil and I don't know how well he'd fit, but his inclusion wouldn't bother me. Iconic third party franchise with solid Nintendo ties is generally a good thing for me.

Slippy Toad prediction: 6.28%

Nominations: Tails x5

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Leon S. Kennedy

Chance: 7% - Capcom's already got two characters, and even if it were to get a third, Jill would undoubtedly take precedence over Leon. She's more iconic and popular overall, and her and Chris are generally the go-to characters for Resident Evil in Capcom's crossovers. Leon, in a stark contrast, has yet to show up in one. The choice seems pretty obvious.

Want: 15% - I'd much rather have Jill. He gets 15% for not being Chris, who's the worst of the three options by far.

Predictions

Slippy Toad: 6.19% - Slips isn't the best-liked of the Starfox crew, but he did get his own spinoff, which has to count for something.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5

D

Deleted member

Leon, in a stark contrast, has yet to show up in one. The choice seems pretty obvious.
Correction (not that it changes anything): He did show up in Project X Zone 2, but that was after Jill and Chris were already in the first game.

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
Leon

Resident Evil fits Smash even better than Metal Gear.

Want: 5%
"Man with Gun" is a character archetype we have yet to fully explore.

Nominations:
Dragonite x5

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
Leon
Want 75%
Chance 2%

Problem is there's a lot of RE characters even on the off chance one gets in. Would be great, but I highly doubt that there will be a re character, and while Leon is relevant again due to REMAKE 2 it's not coming to switch and there doesn't seem to be a huge wanting for him to be playable anyway

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Sorry for the long day was at the dmv. It was hell.

Leon
15% Chance

I could see RE content but imo Jill is pretty tough competition. I could see him making it though.

100% want

RE4 is a masterpiece. The Wii version and GameCube version are cheap, get them.

Day over, calcs coming later. Rate Slippy and the department of motor vehicles because they made me mad, predict Tingle.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Slippy

I don't really see Star Fox getting a new character in this game, especially with the notably more popular Krystal designated to Assist Trophy role. I don't think he's as hated as he used to be, but I don't think there's much demand for him either.

Krystal was the only main character in Star Fox to have potential to not duplicate the Blaster/Reflector moveset. With Falco and Wolf back, there's really no need for a fourth character to derive from this skillset.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The Department of Motor Vehicles
Chance: 0%
Sure, they're well known, but most people hate them, so I don't see them getting into Smash.
Personally, I'm not a fan.

Slippy Toad
Chance: 0.1%
Everything I've said above also applies to Slippy.

Tingle prediction: 5%

Noms: Ken x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna rate Slippy real quick.

1% chance

If Krystal was not chosen than he has no chance as a unique newcomer. Maybe as a last minute fox echo, but I highly doubt that.

1% want

He’s awful. Like I know some people give low scores due to finding a character ugly or whatever, but what appeal is there to Slippy. I swear if PM did not make that one joke about him he would not have been nominated.

The DMV
Double 0s

I dislike them more than Slippy. Most people do. No one likes them. Would be a fun stage though it would be hella banned.

Nominating Incineroar x 5

Last edited:

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The Lubricated One
Presumably, Slippy would attack by lubricating the stage, making his opponents slip...

But anyway, Slippy is known for being not so competent as a fighter pilot, and doesn't seem likely to be a great hand-to-hand fighter either. But you know, they could make some kind of Greninja/Fox hybrid, I suppose. But we know that Star Fox, if it were getting a newcomer, probably would've gotten Krystal (who, with a Star Fox Adventures-based move set, could be more unique). And there isn't any particular reason to prefer Slippy to Peppy, and some of the other Star Wolf members could be more interesting, etc.

Most likely, we just won't see another Star Fox character, because the series hasn't been doing too great and if they did want to promote it, Slippy wouldn't be the most likely way to do so.

Slippy chances: 1%
Slippy want: 20%
tbh I don't want any Star Fox newcomer if it will be in the Fox/Falco vein. Slippy could be different, but most likely he'd end up as another Fox semi-clone. Star Fox's best choice for variety and uniqueness, Krystal, has already been disconfirmed. I'd prefer they just get nobody then.

Nominate: 5x custom moves return

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Slippy

Chance: 5%. I doubt we will get a Star Fox newcomer and even if we do I doubt it'll be Slippy.
Want: 0%. Waste of a slot, not to mention Krystal would be a better Star Fox rep.

Nominate: Terry Bogard x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Slippey
Chance 2%
I dunno, he's more of a support character, we already have three Star Fox characters and he's not exactly popular. I'd even put Peppy in before him. Also limited space
Want 0%
I like frogs, but I'll stick with Greninja thanks

Nominate Parabo and Satebo x3
Daroach x2

Deconfirmed character (Tingle) prediction 1%

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Slippy Toad

Chance: 20% - Slippy Toad has been a part of the Star Fox series since the beginning, and is well-known despite being a love-to-hate character. With Krystal deconfirmed as an Assist Trophy, I feel that his chances are higher now than ever. Plus, most of the Star Fox content in Smash Ultimate is being redesigned to reflect Star Fox Zero. Of course, Slippy was in Star Fox Zero, but was also the lead in the spin-off Star Fox Guard. He has the relevance, and he's very well-known. Moveset wise, he has potential to make for a very unique fighter, using weapons and gear to reflect various installments across the Star Fox series. Lastly, although it's a weaker point, he fits the bill for a 'Sakurai surprise curve-ball' sort of character.

Want: 100% - With Krystal deconfirmed, Slippy has moved into my #1 Most Wanted Newcomer spot. Like him or not, Slippy has tons of potential in Smash for a unique moveset. I made a moveset a while back for him, so if you're having trouble seeing his uniqueness, I hope you take a look.
Name: Slippy Toad
Series: Star Fox
First Appearance: Star Fox (1993)
Archetype: Defensive Engineer
Gimmick: Cameras

Overview

Slippy’s moveset is inspired primarily out of Star Fox: Assault, Star Fox Zero, and Star Fox Guard. Star Fox Assault is what gives him a majority of his attacks, using various different weapons from that game. Almost all of his moves revolve around the use of gadgets, weapons, or tools. Slippy’s moveset was also designed to keep his quirky personality intact, such as when he looks back while stabbing opponents with a screwdriver.

The moves Slippy uses are mostly long-range attacks with high power, but also come with high lag. Moves where he uses weapons are his strongest options, as they’re used to keep opponents away. Slippy does have a few close-combat moves using his tools, but since Slippy isn’t the strongest physically, close-quarters are usually a last resort for him.

Slippy’s moveset gimmick brings something new to the table for Smash. Slippy is able to place down the cameras from Star Fox Guard, which acts as a stationary sentry gun. This is another effective tool for Slippy, as the camera can be used in a variety of ways. The amount of cameras Slippy has active really depends on hardware capabilities, though.

Attributes

Height: 5’6”

Weight: 106

Jump Height
  • Ground: 45
  • Short: 20
  • Midair: 45
Air Speed: 0.9

Fall Speed
  • Normal Fall: 1.75
  • Fast-Fall: 2.8
Movement Speed
  • Walk: 0.75

• Dash: 1.25
Normals

Neutral: Slippy swings his screwdriver twice in an ‘X’ shape, then looks away and covers his eyes as he rapidly stabs forward with it. The flurry of stabs ends with a final, mid-level thrust.

Dash: As he’s dashing forward, Slippy performs a shoulder-bash. If it connects, it has high knockback and quick recovery. If it misses, then Slippy trips and falls, slightly extending the move, but adding more recovery time.

Tilts

Side Tilt: Slippy takes out his wrench and swings it across with one hand. Rapid inputs will have Slippy alternate which side he swings from, making a back-and-forth motion.

Up Tilt: Slippy performs a small hop and sticks his hands above his head, holding a screwdriver in one and a wrench in the other. Short range but it’s a very quick move that's useful for follow-ups.

Down Tilt: Slippy kneels down and drives an active drill into the opponent’s feet. Quick animation, and hits multiple times. Excellent primer for follow-ups, and can even knock off opponents holding onto a ledge.

Smashes

Side Smash: Slippy takes a kneeling position as he pulls out the sniper rifle from Star Fox: Assault, and lines up a shot. Quick Side Smash inputs will lead to an inaccurate shot, leading to unintentional upward or downward angles. The longer the attack is charged, the more powerful and accurate the shot is. Would have the longest range of any Side Smash, and would be one of the strongest in the series. For balance though, the shot would leave Slippy on his butt, leading to a long recovery time.

Up Smash: Slippy pulls out the gatling gun from Star Fox: Assault, and fires full-auto into the air. However, Slippy can’t handle the recoil, so the gatling gun sprays side to side. This creates a very long-range attack in a 45° radius above.

Down Smash: Slippy pulls out two grenades from Star Fox: Assault, one in each hand. For the attack, Slippy takes a step forward while bending over, then casts them to his sides. This creates a disjointed hitbox, and the explosions occur just far enough away that Slippy doesn’t blow himself up. Great knock-out potential.

Aerials

Neutral Air: True to the series’ signature barrel roll, Slippy turns to the side, sticks hit arms and legs out, and performs a cartwheel-like motion in air. Each limb does damage, and hits on both sides of him. A good ‘get off me’ move.

Forward Air: Slippy whips out the machine gun from Star Fox: Assault and fires a full-auto burst forward. Has long range, and auto-cancels upon landing.

Back Air: Once again, Slippy’s got a bogey on his tail. Since other teammates are already in Smash, Slippy gets a bit of help from Peppy. Slippy leans forward, as Peppy fires three lasers behind him. First laser is right behind Slippy, the second laser is a little bit further out, and the last a bit further than the second. Very strong knockout move.

Up Air: Slippy takes out his wrench and does a wide arcing swing over his head. Makes for an excellent juggling move.

Down Air: Slippy takes out the homing launcher from Star Fox: Assault, aims down, and fires. The rocket travels fast, and only explodes when it comes into contact with an opponent or a platform. Explosion has high damage and knockback, even meteor smashing midair opponents. For balance, the move has long start-up and end-lag, and if timed right, Slippy can hurt or even knock himself out if he fires the rocket too close to the ground.

Throws
Grab: Slippy takes a step, leans forward, and reaches out with both hands.

Pummel: Once Slippy has his hands on an opponent, his pummel involves him turning his head to the side and slamming it into the opponent’s.

Forward Throw: Slippy, while still holding onto the opponent, jumps up and places his feet on his opponent’s chest. He then performs a strong drop-kick. Strong knockback.

Back Throw: Slippy performs a leap-frog like motion, jumping over the opponent’s head. As he’s landing, Slippy slams a sensor bomb onto the opponent’s back, and it detonates as soon as Slippy lands. Another throw with strong knock back.

Up Throw: Slippy crouches down and rolls onto his back while placing his feet onto the opponent’s chest. He then performs an upward kick with both legs. Good for follow-ups.

Down Throw: Slippy performs a small hop as he throws his opponent onto the ground, then performs a body slam onto them. Deals high percent damage, but low knockback.

Get-Ups

Front Get-Up: Slippy shoots his arms and legs out, then gets himself back up with a push-up like motion.

Back Get-Up: Slippy shoots his arms and legs out, then gets himself back up by rolling over into a kneeling position, then stands.

Trip Get-Up: Slippy kicks hit legs out in front of him and he leans back and shoots hit arms out, then stands.

Ledge Attack: As Slippy is trying to climb back onto the ledge, he sticks his long, stretchy tongue outward.

Specials

Neutral Special: Blaster - Slippy pulls out the standard blaster from Star Fox: Assault and charges it up. The longer the blaster is charged, the further the distance it travels as well as the more damage and knockback it has. Just like in the game its from, the color of the charged shot will change depending on how much power it has. Long range and disjointed with a fast recovery.

Side Special: Direct-i - Slippy sends forward Direct-i from Star Fox Zero. Direct-i travels horizontally across the stage, and when he comes into contact with an opponent, he grabs them. Once Direct-i has grabbed onto an opponent, he sends a consistent electrical shock through them. After three seconds, Direct-i legs go and disappears.

Up Special: Booster Pack - Slippy’s puts on the Booster Pack from Star Fox: Assault and takes flight. The Booster Pack runs on a fuel system, which lasts about four seconds. This grants Slippy impressive vertical and horizontal recovery, and does not leave Slippy in a helpless state after use.

Down Special: AegisCam - Slippy places down an AegisCam from Star Fox Guard. The AegisCam acts as a stationary sentry gun, automatically targeting enemies within range and firing lasers at them. Lasers deal decent percent damage, but do not stun. The AegisCam has a set amount of health, and can be destroyed if it takes enough damage. As for how many Slippy places down, it depends on what the system can handle. 3 would be ideal, 2 would be more balanced, but 1 is more realistic with hardware limits.

Final Smash: Gyrowing - Slippy hops in the Gyrowing from Star Fox Zero and takes to the top of the stage. From here, Slippy can fly left and right across the top, and drop up to three large bombs upon the stage. These bombs have a very large explosive radius, and deal massive damage, often instantly knocking-out opponents. Lasts fifteen seconds total, or until all three bombs are dropped.

Defenses

Shield: Slippy hunkers down with his hands over his eyes.

Sidestep Dodge: Slippy pivots on one foot off to the side, and waves his arms around as if he’s about to lose his balance.

Forward Roll: Slippy performs a somersault forward, and turns around once it’s over.

Backward Roll: Slippy performs a backwards somersault.

Extras

Entrance: Slippy flies in on his Arwing and jumps out. Rather than landing gracefully like Fox and Falco, he lands on his butt. He then stands up and rubs the pain away just before the fight begins.

Stance: Slippy stands facing forward, with his arms angled at his sides.

Idle Animations
  • Animation 1: Slippy puts his hands on his belt and readjusts it.
  • Animation 2: Slippy puts his hands on his hat and repositions it.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Slippy covers his eyes, and then quickly move his hands in a peek-a-boo like motion as he says “Ha! Thought you could hide from me, eh?”
  • Side Taunt: Slippy tries to spin his blaster with one hand. As the blaster loops back around, it hits him in the face.
  • Down Taunt: Slippy puts his hand on the side of his headset and briefly leans forward before standing back up straight and says “Shield analysis complete!”
Victory Animations
  • Animation 1: Slippy jumps up and down while sticking his arms up and shouts “I won! Returning to base!”
  • Animation 2: Slippy performs his victory animation from Star Fox: Assault. He clicks his heels to the left, then the right, and performs a ‘sinking’ dance. After the freeze frame, Slippy will stick his arms out in front of him, move them side to side, and perform the ‘sinking’ dance again on repeat.
  • Animation 3: Slippy holds out his wrench towards the camera and says “Mess with the best, go down like the rest!”

Special Victory Dialogue
  • Victory vs. Fox: “This won’t get me kicked off the team, right?” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Fox: “You did fine, Slip” - Fox
  • Victory vs. Falco: “You’re all talk, bird-brain!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Falco: “Stick to the pond, frog-boy!” - Falco
  • Victory vs. Krystal: “That staff can’t beat my tech!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Krystal: “Hurts when Fox isn’t here to watch your back, huh?” - Krystal
  • Victory vs. Wolf: “Maybe next time you’ll think twice!” - Slippy
  • Defeat vs. Wolf: “I hate that frog…” - Wolf

Nominations: Deconfirmed Character DLC x5

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Slippy want: 0% (0.5-10*)

So he would at best use tower defense gadgets and maybe vehicles from Star Fox? That doesn't interest me that much (although different weaponry should have been used to further differentiate Fox, Falco, and Wolf), and I don't feel that Star Fox is underrepresented, so there's not much appeal to him for me.

Nominations:

Neku x5

* Indicates percentage penalty for potentially taking a slot from most wanted characters

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Slippy
I think Wolf is the only Fox "newcomer" this time since Krystal is deconfirmed iirc. Slippy isn't totally impossible but I don't see it being a priority.

Ehh... not a character that is necessary tbh.

Nominations: Neku x 5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Slippy Toad

I don't think we're getting a Star Fox nyucomer with Krystal deconfirmed; She was the most requested Star Fox nyucomer, and I don't think Slippy was nearly as popular nya. Slippy nyalso competes with Peppy and... maybe someone from Star Wolf nyaaa~? Either way, I think Sakurai is satisfied with just bringing back Wolf and making the next most requested Star Fox character an AT nya. I'm sure he'll nyappear as part of Corneria's easter egg and a trophy nya.

I'm nyot for him or nyagainst him; frogs are cute nya. I wanted Kyrstal as our Star Fox nyucomer, so I'm hoping to be impressed if Slippy is somehow magically in playable nya.

Nyominations
Brinstar Depths (Stage): x5

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So we do we have a concrete rating schedule right now?

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Slippy Toad

Chances: 0%
Honestly, if Krystal got trophy'd, then Slippy has no real shot of getting in. Star Fox is already unlikely to get a new rep as is, but I just can't see slippy getting in. He seems the type far more appropriate for an AT role than an actual fighter, even if you have him gadgets.

I have nothing against Star Fox, but I have no interest in Slippy as an addition. Krystal would have been interesting given her staff, but since she's out I have no interest in any Star Fox reps

Nominations:
Primarina x5

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Slippy Toad

Chance- 45%
Want- 90%

Is it wrong that I want this character just because this character would be a Dan Hibiki? Regardless I do think that Slippy is important enough to be in Smash. Plus he does have the benefit of Star Fox Guard for potential moveset ideas. And now that Krystal is deconfirmed this makes Slippy the most wanted Star Fox character...maybe. However Star Fox isn't looking too hot right now, so we may not get any newcomers.

Nominations- Wonder Red x5

Top Bottom