• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

andimidna

Smash Master
Qbby:
Chance: abstain
Don’t really know this series at all
Want: 20%
He can do things but he’s ultimately uninteresting visually

Spyro pred: 16%

x5 FE Summoner

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Qbby:
Chance: 3% -
Lack of moveset potential completely kills his chances. His only saving grace is being a Nintendo character.
Want: 0% - I like his games well enough. But I think a stage would be a better use for the series, and I just don't see any real way to make him unique without completely jumping the shark and giving him things he doesn't have. That may have worked for Falcon and Fox in the past, but Sakurai likes to keep characters as true to their counterparts as possible nowadays.

Prediction: Spyro the Dragon
Chance: 8.76%
Want: 49.85%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Qbby

35% Chance

The fact that he got an amiibo and his series is not dead yet bumped him up. I can see a moveset of making cubes come out of him.

50% Want

Indifferent.

Nominating Excitebiker x 5

DAY OVER, CALCS AND SPYRO ESSAY INCOMING

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Qbby
17.57% Chance
35.80% Want

I think this is one of the biggest divides I have seen on RTC but it does fit the mold. Those that know of him are hugely in favor. Some detract and think they are not a good fit. Some are indifferent.

Now I am going to break the mold, today rate Spyro and predict Mimikyu. But I gotta be real with you guys, I need to make my rating at the beginning of the day. Please read.

Spyro

45% Chance

To be honest, I am very confident that Crash is going to get into the game. That helps make this rating higher, as I could easily see Activision try to get Spyro in Smash as well. To me it makes sense given that Smash would be the perfect launching pad to bring Spyro back to Japan. Yes I know that one leak from 4chan is probably wrong, but I could legitimately see Spyro having a place in Smash.

For starters, Spyro is certainly a gaming icon. As much as I may find Skylanders not my cup of tea (though before the Reignited Trilogy releases I am going to give it another shot) I do find that it is a solid game. However it has helped Spyro stay relevant throughout the last decade. Even with how many Skylanders there are Spyro still gets his share of merch, advertising, and being a main character in the Skylanders TV show (its pretty decent from what I have seen babysitting). While I would assume that Classic Spyro would make it in, having a multimillion franchise help you stay relevant for the past decade is pretty good news.

Classic Spyro however, is another beast. While I will say the Reignited trilogy might not have been publicly known at the time, it is clear that this game was being worked on for a long time. Activision had planned everything from a pseudo ARG reveal to a 20th anniversary release. I personally would estimate that development started in 2016, as that is when the last Skylanders game was finishing up development.

Going by this logic, I could see Activision sweetening the pot with a two for one deal in smash negotiations. Activision was an early supporter of the switch, and given that they are one of the biggest if not outright the biggest third party not in smash, it makes sense for them to get a character. Obviously Crash must come first, but I feel the timing for Crash lines up to the point I think i might have underrated him.

Spyro has merits to stand on besides just being a perfect deal with Crash. Spyro was the mascot of the PS1 for its later years, working with Crash as a mascot duo to show that the PS1 was a system for everyone. Spyro has been relevant in gaming for years, with Skylanders helping him stay around despite some negative opinions.

Spyro also could have plenty of moveset potential being a quadruped dragon. Just by his body type and abilities you could make a great moveset. Check out the Spyro support thread if you want to see my take on this. I see Spyro as a midweight aerial powerhouse.

There are some negatives against Spyro. His Japanese presence leaves some to be desired. Spyro 1 and 2 were not the best ports, with Spyro 3 not coming at all due to low Japanese sales and the fact the PS2 loomed. Skylanders took a while to come abroad to Japan as well. However, using Smash to revitalize a Japanese fanbase is possible given his close relationship with Crash.

The other negative myth that I want to address is that his history with Sony negatively affects his chances. With characters like Snake, Cloud, and Ryu all being in Smash, I doubt that previous system relevance makes too much of a difference. As long as a character is a gaming icon that has had games on a Nintendo System they are fair game.

So overall, the likelyhood of Crash, the development windows of Reignited and Smash, and the merits of Spyro make me think that Spyro has a legitimate fighting chance. Perhaps not the greatest, but it still exists.

100% Want

Ok. This goes beyond just smash.

Spyro was my first video game. I remember as a kid, I did not get along with kids in elementary school much because on my first day I knocked three kids out for making fun of my shirt. People were afraid of me, so I was kind of lonely. That's when I discoverd Spyro: my first video game. Seeing this fantasy realm that I could dive into helped me escape the pain of being a kid and feeling lonely. My parents, they did not have much time for me: my brother had ptsd. As such, I was often left to myself. What else was I to do but play Spyro, read books, play Spyro, play with my dog Buddy once we got him when I was in 2nd grade (hes still going strong 12 years later), and play Spyro. I remember calling my cousin in Florida for tips to beat level s and find things that I could not.

Spyro Enter The Dragonfly taught me the lesson of disappointment. Getting a PS2 for Christmas and playing it for the first time, I was amazed at how it. I remember trying to free the dragon statue for two hours, the one that gives you bubble breath. I learned that just being part of a brand I loved did not mean it was automatically good.

Once I got to middle school I found out that my Spyro disks had lived their lives past due. Years of moving and not the best care wore them down. Thankfully the Spyro Collecters Edition was not too expensive, I bought it and still use that to this day. I remember 100%ing Spyro 1 and 2 for the first time in Middle School. I remember showing my best friend SPyro 1 and doing a gaming veg sesh and just playing and talking.

Hell, I play through each of the original trilogy once a year at least. For me they are a coping mechanism that takes me back. Issues with my parents? School? Depression? Self Loathing? I just play Spyro at some point, I know each game by heart by now.

For me this is more than just saying "Well I like the character, he should be in smash". This is legit my childhood. This is a character that I have dreamed of for years, with now there being a realistic chance he could appear. This is being able to tell 6 year old me playing Melee at a friends house that one day Spyro would be in. This is me seeing that the single character I could want the most in Smash ever being in smash.

Good god writing this has made me tear up, part out of nostalgia, part of the painful memories I tried to forget using Spyro.

On a brighter note, music!

These are just a few of my favorites. The soundtrack was done by Stewart Copeland, the drummer of the band the Police. Give the soundtrack a listen, it is my favorite in gaming due to nostalgia and how chill it is.

Nominating Excitebiker x 5

Oh and Troykv Troykv gets the noms for Qbby.

Please take pity on me and do not just pop in and give Spyro Double Zeros. That would be soul crushing.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Oh and Troykv Troykv gets the noms for Qbby.

Please take pity on me and do not just pop in and give Spyro Double Zeros. That would be soul crushing.
Yay! Free noms!

I'll abstain today voting BTW, I don't feel sure about Spyro xD.

Prediction:

Mimikyu: 31.4%

Nominations:

Decloned Dark Pit x4
Decloned Ganondorf x3
Breidablik item x3

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Ridley Spyro chances: 8%
Pretty popular character, but I'm unsure that he stands out that much among all the third-party candidates. I don't think he really was big in Japan, but until proven otherwise I assume that a character lacking appeal in either Japan or the West is unlikely (I also think I overrated Rayman in that regard, as I'm pretty sure he's also not as much of a deal in Japan than in the rest of the world).

Spyro want: 40%
Not hugely attached to the character, but he has some appeal and I always knew him since my childhood as I watched someone play one of his games once.

Mimikyu prediction: 36.73%
Gonna be an interesting day. Expect a pretty big wall of text from mine.

Nominating:
Returning game mode: Smash Run x3
Returning fighter: Corrin x2

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Spyro

Chance: 20%

If he gets in he has to get in alongside Crash. Putting in both mascots of the same system who competed with eachother is something I could see Sakurai doing. He's not as iconic as the bandicoot however, atleast not in Japan I think and as always competition from other third party characters might be an issue.

Want: ABSTAIN

Predictions for Mimikyu: 22.36%

Nominations: Leon Kennedy x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Spyro
Hmmmm, I'll go 35 %
He's certainly an icon, and Skylanders have kept him relevant. It even had a crossover with Bowser and Donkey Kong. If they try and get Crash, I could see them going for Spiro to.

Want 65%
He's one of the few third party characters I'd be more than OK with. I've never played his games. But I plan to when/if the trilogy comes to Switch.

Prediction
Fake Pikachu 34%
Nominate Lara croft x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Spyro

Chance: 30%
The timing might be off for him to be in, and I’d argue Skylanders did more harm than good for him being in gamers’ minds. However, he is getting his trilogy remastered and he’s a huge icon, and if Crash were to make it in, negotiations would probably be made for the two of them.

Want: 75%
As much of a gaming icon he is, I associate him too much with Sony to be really into him. I was going to give him 60-ish, but TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom ‘s post really got to me. Seriously man, that was powerful, thank you for sharing that.

Mimikyu prediction: I’m sensing another potential underrated character so I’ll go with 43%

Noms: Urban ChampX5 (can’t remember if I can still nom him, otherwise make that five for Prince Sable)

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Spyro
Chance: 18%
He'd be less surprising than many others, but I don't expect him.

Want: 27%
I tried a few Spyro games, but I could never enjoy them very much. So I can't say I want him, but I wouldn't mind too much because he'd probably have an interesting moveset.

Nominate FE Switch protag x5

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Spyro

Chance: 0%
I'm getting tired of every character with a Switch port getting hyped up for Smash.

Want: 20%
I don't care but I have nothing against him.

Mimikyu prediction: 50%

Nominations:
Travis Touchdown x5

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
LeakCharacters.png

Spyro:
Chance: 50%

Ok, that may seem insanely high but there's something about Spyro that I feel was incredibly important to Nintendo last generation, which I stand by most the newcomers coming from:

He was used as the face to launch the Skylanders series during the Wii/Wii U period.

Now, why is that important to Nintendo?
Much like when Sony had offered Nintendo a chance to work with them before being turned down and accidentally creating a massive rival, Toys for Bob and Activision first approached Nintendo with an exclusive deal for the Toys to Life games. Nintendo ended up turning them down.

Now, of all the franchises Nintendo had during the Wii U period, the Amiibo were by far their biggest success story, and probably wouldn't have happened at all if Skylanders, and indeed SPYRO(who was the titular character of the first game) hadn't proved what a massive success hit it was.

Nintendo have obviously worked alongside Activision since seeing as both :4bowser: and :4dk: ended up with their own Skylander/Amiibo hybrid figurines, so whilst many claim Activision is unlikely to get a call from Nintendo, I don't buy it.

It's interesting to note that whilst there's been many attempts at the Toys to Life genre; including from big wigs like Disney and Warner Brothers, only Nintendo and Skylanders remain. The likes of Mickey Mouse, Harry Potter, the Simpsons, Spiderman, Batman, Captain America, Iron Man, etc could not compete with either Mario or Spyro in this particular case.

That is frankly insane to me.

In many ways I'd argue that Spyro is the face of the most recent rivalry Nintendo has obtained, much like I'd argue Crash Bandicoot was the Playstation rival mascot to Mario back in the day and Sonic was the Sega rival mascot to Mario during the great console wars of the 90s.

Want: 100%

If you'd asked me prior to the N-Sane trilogy coming out, Spyro wouldn't have beaten Rayman or Bomberman in terms of want, but I'll be damned if upon seeing Crash get a release I didn't hunger for a Spyro remaster.

Whilst I played both when I was younger, Spyro was always easily my favourite of the two and whilst he wasn't enough to get me into Skylanders(THAT particular design of his probably didn't help, he looks like rip off Toothless from How to Train Your Dragon) I have fond memories of roaming around lush green worlds, headbutting things, chatting to Hunter, getting annoyed by Moneybags and watching Sparx devour butterflies to regain health for Spyro(by far the most creative health bar IMO)

With the announcement of Spyro's return, hopefully to the Switch too, and a far more sleek and iconic redesign, I noticed I was as hyped for Spyro as I was for Smash itself.

The leak which featured the above trio is a trio so dear to my heart that honestly those three being revealed would blow ANY other roster to date out the water for me. Despite being a fan of both :4sonic: and :4pacman:, I can't say I was a fan of either :snake: or :4megaman: who I hadn't played at all as a kid. Crash AND Spyro getting revealed together would be like Megaman's reveal was to most of Smashboards, and Captain Toad is obviously my biggest desire to date.

Sadly I have little stock in the leak, but if by some massive coincedence it ended up true, Spyro would be a ridiculously huge part of why this roster would feel so amazing to me.

Yes he's my most wanted purple dragon in Smash Switch.

Mimikyu prediction: 36%

Nomination: Meowth X 5

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 31.04%
I literally looked up Crash's score for this. Activision owns both characters and they are both icons. If Sakurai attempts to reach out to Activision I see no reason why both characters wouldn't be on the table. The biggest downside I see to Spyro's inclusion is his legendarily bad Japanese games which completely soured the Japanese audience on him. Still even with that Spyro's trilogy is coming and even if Sakurai doesn't want him Activision would probably toss him in for free for promotion. Basically, I if we get one I don't think the other will be far behind.

Want: 50%
No attachment to the guy since I have yet to play his games. A problem I plan to fix when they are re-released. Until then he isn't the third party I'm hoping for in Smash. That being said I have no problem with him joining.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
That ain't Ridley

Chance: 25%
With the recent revival of his games, and a very likely Nintendo Switch port along the way, I think at the very least Spyro could probably be a DLC character as opposed to a base-roster fighter. Not to mention the fact the Re-Ignited Trilogy has only been a thing for the past two months or so.

Want: 30%
I'm not all too familiar with Spyro as much (read little) I am with Crash, but I'd admittedly prefer Crash to Spyro. Not exactly a character I'm hyping myself for, but if he gets in, eh, congratulations are in order.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
It's time.

I rate Spyro's chances at 39%

He's definitely not getting in unless Crash gets in first. But then, Crash Bandicoot is probably the least unlikely guest newcomer this time around.

It's also pretty wild that the least implausible Smash leak so far says he's going to be on the roster, but I remember when everyone thought Chrom and the Chorus Men would be in Smash 4, so who can say for sure?

I 100% want Spyro in Smash

Hands down my favourite mascot of anything ever, and right at the top of my wish list of characters I want to see fighting in Smash Bros. #2 is Crash, only because he's all but guaranteed to bring Spyro with him.

I would like to vote for a new concept:
+5 16-Player mode

D

Deleted member

Spyro

Chance: Abstain
Want: 60%

I wouldn't mind tbh.

Nominations: T-Rex (Fossil Fighters) x 5

D

Deleted member

Not Ridley

Want: abstain

Noms:
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x5

Mimikyu prediction: 38.26%

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Spyro:

Chance:
5% - If Crash's resurgence happened too late, which I believe it did, then there's no doubt Spyro's did aswell, by all accounts it wasn't even certain the Reignited trilogy would happen until the N. Sane Trilogy turned out to be an enormous success. Obviously he hasn't been completely dead like Crash was, but I really don't see Skylanders pushing him in, for the most part his name was only really used to launch the brand. Then there's the matter of his pretty much non-existance in Japan, he's more or less a western exclusive character as the ports the original trilogy received not only sold awfully, but were apparently a hot boiling mess aswell. Like Crash I think he'll have a better shot at getting in as DLC due to the timing of his revival, but for the base game I don't see it happening.

Want: 70% - Although I don't like him quite as much as Crash, Spyro did still play a notable part in my childhood, so I'd be thrilled to see him in. I'm currently replaying the original trilogy in anticipation of the remasters, and it's been a huge nostalgia trip so far, the second game was particularly good I thought. Obviously there's a purple dragon out there that I want in even more than Spyro, but he'd still be better than no purple dragon.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I always wanted to play his games but didn’t get to... soon.

Spyro
Chance 25%
Want 50%

The news are definitely too soon, but he’s a high profile character and probably the type of character devs plan ahead of time. I can see him getting in as dlc as least, but as a base character idk if he’s that likely. Would be interesting though.

x5 Excitebiker

Predict 31.76%

Last edited:

Slyshock

Smash Apprentice
Between Your Deepest Dreams and Warmest Wishes
NNID
Slyshock
Spyro

Chance: 12.5%
Would Spyro be the clear frontrunner for a Skylanders newcomer? Because that's probably the only way he's getting in. I wouldn't think he topped any of the ballots despite being reasonably well-liked in the West (Japan doesn't have too fond a view of his games), and I doubt his own merits would've sparked Sakurai's interest. The PSX trilogy was solid, and Spyro was one of the bigger faces Sony had in the 5th generation, but he was always outshined by Crash Bandicoot and his games haven't been able to recapture their modest spotlight since. His home series hasn't seen a new release in a decade, until this year Skylanders had consumed him entirely. The Reignited Trilogy is a thing now, but unless it had been in the works for years that wouldn't have mattered back when the roster was being put together. Maybe if Activision were approached about a possible Skylanders representative in Smash beforehand, and they knew that remakes were under development?

Skylanders is a tremendously successful albeit slowing franchise, so it's not impossible that Sakurai would've pursued a character from it. Nintendo even lent Donkey Kong and Bowser for use in Skylanders SuperChargers, so the precedence of cooperation is there. Again, it comes down to whether Spyro would be considered the most viable contender to represent that series of games. It's quite possible that Activision would prefer some sort of swapping mechanic or the like to represent the toy gimmick better, or a Skylanders-original fighter. Assuming they didn't have any preference, I could see Sakurai springing for Spyro in particular based off his more extensive history and Western fanbase. Not sure how much Crash Bandicoot factors into things; His remakes were certainly under development a couple years ago, but his series also hit a lull of several years beforehand and he didn't have Skylanders to prop him up. A dual reveal is a possibility if they play up the Sony rivalry bit, not that I'd put money on that happening.

Want: 66%
I suppose I qualify as a fan, but not without a few asterisks. Sombering thought, there are more bad games with Spyro in the title than good. The good games were very good, granted, but they also all featured navigating a three-dimensional space. 2D Spyro just sounds dirty, likely because it's been proven to be dirty every time it was attempted. Certainly Sakurai would do his best to make him feel good to play, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as natural a transition as Mega Man. Then again, if ever there was a way to make 2D Spyro work, it'd be in Smash. Can't say I'm too big on Skylanders either, not the franchise and especially not Spyro's design in it. I'd like to believe that Spyro in Smash would derive as much as possible from the original trilogy, but since Skylanders is the prevailing reason why he'd be included in the first place I'm not confident that'd be the case.

Nominations: Nikki x5

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Spyro

Chance: 7.5%
If we're talking about the base game, I give him a 5% chance. If we're talking about DLC, 10%. Either way, Spryo isn't exactly a popular character in Japan. His history is pretty shaky over there, and even though he's definitely becoming relevant in the West, I'm not so sure if Sakurai would go for it unless Nintendo themselves stepped in. Timing is also terrible, which is why I have very little faith in him getting in on the base roster.

Want: 15%
Not a fan of third-parties, and I don't particularly have a history with Spyro. That being said, he'd be a decent compensation for Ridley I guess.

Mimikyu prediction: 34.4%

Nominations: Mipha x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
The other purple dragon

No real time for explanations

Want: 70%

----

Mimikyu-15.67%

----

Dark Samus x5

D

Deleted member

The other purple dragon

I have never played a Spyro game in my life, so I'm not attached to him. However, the remaster looks amazing so I'll definetly pick it up if/when it comes out on the Switch.
Can't really say anything about his moveset potential yet but he fits in really well, and having both him and Crash in the same game would be really cool. It'd be lower if he made it in without Crash (prolly ~50% or so) but let's be honest, we'll get Crash first if we get Spyro, and that's a guarantee.

Lara Croft x5 (helping you out NintenRob NintenRob )

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Spyro:

Chance: 5%
I am pretty surprised by the high scores today.

The Switch remaster is yet to be announced officially, and while I understand that some people might make a correlation between the announcement and being announced for Smash, I simply see it as too early to be considered in the base roster.

There's also Crash Bandicoot who I think has a better chance to be on the base roster and would generate the same, if not, more hype for the game alone before release for roughly the same demographic.

Spyro will most likely be DLC to me. It makes sense from a business stand point too: his popularity will sell the content highly, it would generate more hype post-game, and give the Spyro remasters more promotion at a later date. But my chance ratings are always - and will always be - about their prospects to be on the initial roster pre-DLC until that season begins.

Want: Abstain
He's a gaming icon from its time and would be an interesting character to mold a moveset around, but I have no connection to the character otherwise.

Mimikyu: 31.3%
This one will be interesting. It seems to have more detractors than Lycanroc and Decidueye, but possibly easier to integrate into Smash than the former.

Nominate Cranky Kong x3, Sylux x2

Last edited:

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Spyro

Spyro was at one point one of the biggest charcters in the Video Game industry wiht the likes of mario and sonic and recently has been releavant because of Smash bros and a remake of his games most likely coming to the switch I feel he has a chance. Activision has talked to Nintendo because of Bowser and Donkey Kong in Skylanders and Skylanders was a pretty decent seller on the Wii and Wiiu. However the only way I think we get Spyro is if he gets in with Crash and I don't know if they would do that puttinng "leaks" aside I feel like the remake of Spyro trilogy is coming to later for that to be a factor in Smash but maybe Activision could have them put in both him and crash if they originally wanted just crash but even then Nintendo could have just turned bith them down then. So putting all that together I feel like spyro has about a

35% chance

want 90%
big icon and would be a fun additon to the roster just want crash more tbh

nominating
Labo man x5

predicting mimikui at 12.5%

Last edited:

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Spyro

I don't know enough about Spyro or his franchise to say.

Want: 90%
He looks cool, I would love to be able to play as a purple dragon as a regular playable character that can actually stay true to his source material, and I have had fun playing Skylanders whenever I have gotten the chance.

Prediction:
Mimikyu: 30.65%

Nominations:
Steve (Minecraft) x5 (thanks for the extra nomination, @Sailor Waddle Dee)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
The other purple dragon

I have never played a Spyro game in my life, so I'm not attached to him. However, the remaster looks amazing so I'll definetly pick it up if/when it comes out on the Switch.
Can't really say anything about his moveset potential yet but he fits in really well, and having both him and Crash in the same game would be really cool. It'd be lower if he made it in without Crash (prolly ~50% or so) but let's be honest, we'll get Crash first if we get Spyro, and that's a guarantee.

Lara Croft x5 (helping you out NintenRob NintenRob )

Looking forward to tomorrow.
unnamed (4).png

Thank you very much :kirby:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
shout-outs to TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom for getting his boy in on the meme number lol

#NOTMYPURPLEDRAGON (Spyro)

...I feel kind of rude for giving him this rating after Phantom’s post, but I just can’t see this happening.

If we’re going off of remake hype, it’s faaar too late at this point. I doubt even Crash’s trilogy was known by Sakurai quick enough to make a character for, especially the Nintendo Switch port. Sypro’s remade trilogy might, might boost his chances for DLC, but that’s about all he’s got on that front.

Besides that, Spyro has... Skylanders? The series that a bunch of random OCs completely took over by the second entry?
(EDIT: I was not aware there was a Skylanders TV show and thus was not aware Spyro was the main charater. My bad. However, I still feel he has been left to the wayside as far as the Skylanders games go.)
Ballot votes? I don’t remember seeing anything in the way of Spyro campaigning, but I might be wrong.
Yes, I’m aware he’s a classic character for Sony, and a lot of poeple grew up with him, but I just don’t see him as big enough to appear in base game for Smash Bros. He’s not on the level of Sonic, or Mega Man, or Pac-Man, or even Ryu.

Want: 10%
I didn’t grow up with a Playstation, so I don’t have any strong feelings about Spyro or anyone else from that era. I like his design better than Bandicoot, at least. :p

Noms:
Tingle x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Not Ridley

Chance: 10%
Want: 0%

Spyro may be an icon, but he's absorbed into Skylanders as of late, and he's squarely in that realm of Sony-characters-marketed-towards-kids-but-not-used-much-since-Sony's-going-for-M-rated-stuff-now. I really don't see much setting him apart from Crash or any of the other third party 90's icons.

There is one other problem with Spyro though - how well he'd be received. Spyro may be a 90's character, but he is a purple dragon, and I can see a major revolt against him simply for not being Ridley. There was already enough grumbling about Charizard's purple recolor. If Nintendo chose to put in a third-party purple dragon before making Ridley playable, I could actually see that putting off quite a few fans. That would truly be a slap in the face. Because of that reason, I have to tell Spyro to sit and wait for the other guy to get in first.

Mimikyu prediction: 29.5%
Nom: Skyrim stuff x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Spyro

Skylanders isn't a big deal anymore, but I feel like Spyro at least has a better chance than Crash because of that series alone.

I'm torn between 0% and 100%. I never played a Spyro game, but Spyro was a prevalent figure in my childhood nonetheless. I even had a dream about him once.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x5

:171:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Spyro the Dragon

Chance - 1%

His two recent claims to fame have been Skylanders and his remaster. While he was originally used as the mascot of the Skylanders franchise, he was quickly pulled as soon as they realized Skylanders could stand alone without having to be attached to the Spyro brand. Although he's apparently the main character of the TV show, I know for a fact that the demand for Skylanders representation or content in Smash isn't very high. In terms of the remake, even though I'm 99.9% sure that it'll be coming to the Switch, it most definitely missed the development time of Smash 5.

Of course, this is even without considering the bandicoot shaped elephant in the room. If Activision is going to be able to get a character in Smash, it'll be Crash first.

Want - 0%

I like my third party characters to be iconic, which Spyro certainly fits the bill for, but pretty much everything he represents can just be represented twenty times better with Crash (i.e. PSX platformer to rival Mario during the 5th generation of games).

Don't really have much of a personal connection to the guy, even though I do remember playing his first game from time to time at a friend's house.

Nominations:
Excitebiker x5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I do not see Spyro getting in mainly due to the franchise’s minuscule popularity in Japan. I feel he will be very briefly considered due to his potentially high number of ballot requests, but I think Crash would be seriously considered first because of Crash’s notable popularity in Japan. Unless Crash gets in first, I do not see Spyro happening anytime soon.

x5 Balloon Fighter

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Spyro
Chances: 50%
Crash would probably get in 1st but I can see Activision getting a 2nd rep with Spyro not too far behind if something happens.

Want: 95%
I prefer Crash but Spyro would still be pretty cool to see make it in.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Spyro
Maybe as DLC. Correct me if I'm wrong but his trilogy is still technically not even confirmed for Switch. And maybe a double announcement of that game and his appearance in Smash seems like it would be mind blowing to bigger fans of his, but really, he's not as big a deal as Crash and even Crash I feel isn't that likely to be in Smash. Plus from a Japanese perspective I'm sure there's tons of other third parties considered before even getting to Spyro.

Want: 5%
I liked the one Spyro game I played, but again, when it comes to third parties I don't want too many of them and I'm very specific on which ones I feel should be added.

Mimikyu: 22.5%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Spyro
Chances: 20%

Spyro has largely been absent from gaming thanks to Skylanders, similar to how Rayman pretty much got absorbed by the Rabbids for a while. He may be coming back but like Crash I think I think it’s a bit too late for him. Plus Spyro was never really as big as the likes of most of Smash’s third parties.

I would largely be indifferent. I played some Spyro and like him, but I find it hard to care anout his inclusion. I wouldn’t be mad though so meh.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Double abstain.

------

Predictions

Mimikyu (Pokemon): 38.76%

One of the most promoted Alola Pokemon, so its own of the more likely Pokemon newcomers, but competition also hurts it.

------

Nominations

Corrin (Fire Emblem): x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Spyro

Chance: 0%
Virtual no-name in Japan whose remaster came entirely too late, even in comparison to Crash. Not gonna happen.

Want: 1%
He's adorable but there are at least ten third party characters I'd prefer to see first. Crash, Simon Belmont, Lara Croft, Shovel Knight, Maxwell, Frogger, Rabbids, honestly anyone from Undertale but especially Papyrus, Geno, Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton...hell, even Steve just due to iconicity.

Predicting a 45 for Mimikyu
Nominating K. Rool x5

Top Bottom