• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
New Story Mode

Chance: 5%

Given the reasons for its exclusion last game and the fact that the roster is continuing to grow larger, I just can't see them spending time on one again.

Want: 5%

Eh...SSE was alright, but I think one was enough, and with how much more the series has now I think the time would be better spent elsewhere. Don't really have much to say today.

Hades prediction: 24.68%

Nominations: Isabelle x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Story Mode

Chance: 25%
A mode like Melee's nyadventure mode could happen nya. Can't see nyanother SSE happening mew.

Want: 100%
Nyo objection for whatever it'll end up being nya. Its exclusion from Smash4 was disappointing nya.

Nyomination
Isabelle: x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 10%
I don't think for the Switch he's going to take a massive undertaking like the SSE again. I do think he re-using a lot from Smash 4 so maybe he'll have plenty of free time to add one in but I doubt.

SSE was awesome and I was sad to see we didn't have another one. Especially since the reason was trash but what can you do?

noms: Tethu X5

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
New Story Mode
Chance: 65%
A lot of people's biggest complaint with Smash 4 was the lack of any kind of story mode. I don't think Nintendo will ignore this.

Want: 90%
I was one of those people.

It's also because of this kind of unhealthy mentality the Smash Bros. fandom is not that well regarded you know?
It's not like I'm going to throw a fit if Rex gets in, but I'll certainly be much happier if he doesn't. Deal with it.

Also, I don't care what anyone thinks of the Smash fanbase.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
64.69+42.60=107.29

Not exact, but this is surprisingly close to 100%

Which makes sense when people expect one or the other to be a shoo-in. :p

almost exactly 1 less percent than chance.
:061:
Additionally you could say there's a 7.29% chance of getting both...which seems reasonable enough actually...

Anyways...

----

Smash Story Mode...

Chance: 50%
Not entirely sure since SSE took a lot of resources to make and Sakurai's saltiness with youtube...But at the same time it was one of Smash 4's biggest faults not having a meaningful single player mode. And there was definitely a lot of complaints at the lack of even a simple adventure mode like from Melee...

Adventure Mode was fun in Melee...SSE although the gameplay was mediocre at best was still pretty amazing for having matchups like :mario2::pit:, :link2::yoshi2:, :pikachu2::zerosuitsamus::samus2:, :marth::metaknight::ike:, :lucario::snake::metaknight:, :falcon::olimar:, :dedede::luigi2::ness2:, etc...

Smash 4 did have the reveal trailers which were cool but, left a lot to be desired since they were generally pretty short...

----

Prediction:
Hades-7.65%

----

Dark Samus x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
New story mode

Nominations
Endou Mamoru x5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
New Story Mode
Chance: 35% -
Recycling assets might be a thing here. Plenty of development time means it can happen.
Want: 50% - As long as the game and characters are fun, no reason we HAVE to have it but it would be fun.

Prediction: Hades
Chance: 19.73%
Want: 51.82%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

D

Deleted member

Story mode
Chance: 30%
Theres no way sakurai had the timw to make a story mode in 2 years along with this game.
Want:70%
If sakurai haf the yime yo make this and give us newcomers and no cuts... Yes... But for now ill limit myself.

Prediction
Hades-38.7%

Noms:
Lana×3
Lip×1
Sable Prince x1

wildvine47

Smash Ace
New Story Mode

Chance: 20% - Sakurai hated what happened to Subspace, and considering that he for certain knows by now that the same fate would befall a new story, I don't see it very likely that he'd try it again. Especially considering the increased amount of characters. If this game started as a port though, I could see him maybe sinking some time into that.

Want: 15% - I'll pass. I'd much, much rather the time be spent on characters and stages and other things. You know, the part people are here for? Sure it's neat seeing a cutscene of Fox and Diddy Kong fighting Rayquaza, but I'd have killed the entire Subspace Emissary in a heartbeat if it'd have saved the Forbidden Seven. Both Brawl and Smash 4 had time-sink side projects to them, with Brawl having Subspace and Smash 4 having the 3DS version. I'd much rather see a Smash developed without some secondary distraction like those taking away time from the main game.

Predictions

Hades: 11.11% - Dark Pit was already too much, and it looks like the KI franchise is going back into retirement for a while again anyways. He's got a bit of a fanbase just by virtue of being funny that I think will bump him up a bit though.

Nominations

Impa x 5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
SSE 2: A Space Odyssey

Chance: 20%

I don't see how Sakurai and his team could have time to make a Story mode similar to the SSE. Maybe it could be a DLC expansion similar to what's happening with Splatoon 2? I just don't see it happening personally.

Want: 50%

I would rather see Melee's Adventure mode return although tweaked to allow for branching paths.

Prediction: Hades

Chance: 12%
Want: 28%

Nominations

Concept: Advance Wars CO X 3
Masked Link X 2

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
No one answered my question, so I'm assuming we're talking about a new SSE rather than a new Adventure Mode, because that seems what everyone else is doing.

New Story Mode

Chance - 1%

I really don't see a Subspace Emissary 2 happening, because of two main reasons:
  • Sakurai was against the idea for Smash 4, because of leaks. Nintendo leaks most certainly have not stopped since. Kirby Star Allies just got leaked before launch. Once again, it seems like cutscenes this time around are going to be for character announcements once again. Point: the Inkling trailer.
  • Brawl had a roster of 39 different characters, and even then, 3 of them (Toon Link, Wolf, Jigglypuff) weren't even used in the SSE. Considering Smash 5 is estimated to have a character count in the high 60s-low 70s (assuming we don't get a Smash reboot or something), it'd be a pain to make a story where every character is equally represented.
It could happen, but I really doubt it.

Want - 55%

One of the biggest reasons I found Smash 4 to be so disappointing is its god awful single-player mode. I don't enjoy the Subspace Emissary that much from a gameplay perspective, and would much rather have something like Melee's Adventure Mode. However, anything would be a step up from the absolute garbage Smash 4 offered at this point.

Also, it'd be pretty interesting to see a whole ton of brand new story cutscenes with how high quality Nintendo animation has become in the past few years.

Nominations:
Concept: Advance Wars CO x3
Masked Link x2

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
New Story Mode
Chances: 10%

As much as it pains me to say this, I don't expect the return of story mode. Sakurai's reasoning was pretty dumb, but I feel like the fact that he felt like making up such a dumb reason means he adamant about it.

One of the things I loved about Brawl was Subspace Emissary. It was what I want in a crossover game, character interactions (even if no one spoke). Project X Zone is one of my favorite crossover games because it delivers on this. I understand SSE had problems, but those problems could be fixed while also bringing back the story. A game with a roster like this should have some character interactions, and the short trailers just don't cut it. I understand some people would rather have Adventure mode, but Smash run was basically Adventure Mode just not linear and lacking the themed stages. All that needs to be done is add some themed stages to Smash run, make it so players can interact and bam, you got an even better mode. You can't really do the same with story mode.

Nomination:
Primarina x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
New Store Mode
Chance - 10%
I don't think SSE played out how Sakurai planned or wanted with very mixed reactions on it from fans while he was bitter about the story being on social media before people played it. I'm going to say it's rather unlikely he'll want to devote that much resources and effort into that again.
Want - 5%
Sorry, I'd rather them spend the resources elsewhere than a mode that most will play once and forget. It was really nice and the hype was real on my side, but I'll say I'd rather have Adventure and Classic style modes over big story modes as the work load will be smaller and allow more items, fighters, etc. to make it in. The sheer amount of characters would also make everyone only play a small part in the end anyways.

The poor Mario cast also got a rather short stick in the plot. Usually they were being beaten up, back stabbed, turned into trophies, and Pit even used Mario as his personal footstool. Kirby's cast obviously had the main spot light and starring victories. Meanwhile others felt more tacked on without getting their own shining moments like Olimar or Ice Climbers.

Nominations 5x Greninja

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
others felt more tacked on without getting their own shining moments like Olimar
I agree with you on the obvious things: like how the Kirby franchise and Pit were the obvious favorites of Sakurai in terms of the story, and how a return to the Adventure + Classic modes would be much nicer in the new Smash.

However, I am not going to let you diss my boy Olimar like that.

Look at this:

I mean, it's kind of expected that Samus, Captain Falcon, and Fox are all capable of out maneuvering all the weaponry Ganondorf and Bowser unleash on them, but the fact that Olimar can do it in a slow, junky space shuttle with a single thruster is impressive as hell. People may say "oh Kirby is the star of this cutscene because he destroyed the machine with the dragoon" but Olimar is the real badass here.

He's just as good of a pilot as two professional intergalactic bounty hunters and the leader of a group of intergalactic mercenaries who are all in extremely high tech ships. Just imagine what he could do in a real ship. Olimar would be the best F-Zero racer in the world.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Story Mode
The conditions around the situation haven't changed, so it's completely dependent on Sakurai changing his mind and deciding the heavy investment would be worth it.

Want: 30%
The SSE was a nice idea, but between the heavy time and resource sink, the uninteresting story, the generic enemy types, the interactions between characters not being that effective, and the gameplay getting repetitive towards the end (especially with the Great Maze), it ended up being a very flawed experience. If they were to go back and address the issues, then that'd be great, but I'd rather have another Adventure Mode as I feel that was more effective in its job.

Nominations: Lycanroc x5

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
New Story Mode Chance: 30%

Sakurai made up his mind last time and decided not to put money and development time into animating cutscenes and designing many platformer-scale levels for this game. However, Smash 4's solo modes were.......pretty lackluster, to the point where I'd say the fair amount of negativity surrounding the SSE is nothing in comparison to it.

Still, the SSE itself had mixed reception, but seems to be seen more fondly nowadays, so perhaps that might help it's odds just a bit as well? Really, I don't think things are in favor for a new type of story mode similar to the SSE, but it's certainly still possible. We have no way of knowing what Sakurai's current stance on this kind of mode is, so there's no good reason to believe we're likely to get one.

As long as it doesn't eat up too much development time and improves upon some of SSE's flaws (generic level designs, a rather hard to follow story, limited and often unclear communication between the characters, etc. It also lacked enemies from other Nintendo franchises. Smash Run rectified that and even included some of the enemies from the SSE as well. Keep a variety of of various Nintendo enemies mixed in with original Smash enemies and you're golden) then I would absolutely love a new story mode. I loved the Subspace Emissary, flawed as it was. Please give this kind of mode another chance. There's tons of potential for it.

Nominations: Isabelle x5

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Story Mode
On one hand Sakurai doesn't like just adding more to a game and likes having a variety, hence why he had Adventure Mode in Melee and Story Mode in Brawl. On the other hand, he disliked cutscenes being uploaded online, and Subspace Emissary was basically bootleg Kirby Superstar (right down to all the generic enemies in the place of franchise-relevant ones. Seriously there were like giant eyeball fishes and helmeted tentacle guys with evil laughs and all kinds of ****, what the hell). I think he'll be satisfying his urge to create in some other way.

Want: 25%
My want is slightly higher than the chances for one reason only - character interactions. It's cool watching DK jump on goombas and then Diddy/Fox become a duo and all kinds of other goofy nonsense. Hopefully they trash the Primids and have actual villain characters be the center of the plot and actual video game enemies as the cannon fodder. ...Or they polish Smash Run and give us that with more stages, objectives and options/custom options.

5x Wonder Red. Why not.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Concept: New Story Mode

Chance: 18%
I don't really see this mode returning, unless it's something way smaller in scale. It seemed like Smash for Wii U/3DS focused more on different types of game modes to change up the experience a bit, and I think that's what we're going to see again. Hopefully those extra modes will be better realized this time around too. I'd honestly be surprised if they focused these last couple years of development on bringing the story mode back; although, I could see them using it as a big selling point if they did.
I'll give the concept of a story mode in Smash for Switch a chance of 18%. Seeing this mode make a return would be quite a story in itself...

Want: 22%
I don't really care too much. It was pretty cool in Brawl, but I'd rather that development time go into everything else to polish the game more.

Prediction
Hades: 13.8%

Nominations
Tetra x 3
Toon Zelda x 2

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
New Story Mode Chance: 5%
Sakurai didn't add a story mode to the last game because of cutscenes getting leaked. Unless he suddenly doesn't care about that anymore I can't see it happening.

Want: 45%
As enjoyable as it could be, now's not the time to try and include another story mode. SSE could up a lot of dev time, so I'd imagine a story mode with roughly 70 characters is probably going to take up more time than SSE, and there are other things that need to be a priority.

Hades Prediction: 30%

Nominations: Gengar X5

:094:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
New Story Mode

Chance: 35%
Too much effort to get done properly, too little payoff given what they can make. While Sakurai has tried to add something new to the single-players mode of each game that we've had, we're definitely not likely to see anything like the SSE ever again. Well, not in the form of the SSE, at any rate.

The game itself and the characters that get into it always come first. Given the deadline and the amount of content that we're dealing with, a story campaign is basically a far-down stretch goal.

Want: 70%
Sure, the SSE was so obviously a Kirby game that it was painful to go through, but I don't think anyone disliked those awesome cinematics we got. I may not trust Sakurai to get it right by himself, but I'd still love to see another stab at it, especially if it tries something else from the overly-familiar epic crossover tone.

Prediction:
Hades 8%

Nominations:
Papyrus (Undertale) x5

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
New Story mode
Chance: 35%
I think we can get an adventure mode, maybe a story if Sakurai have time to make it
Who wouldn't want it?

Nomination: Octopath Traveller Character x5

Graizen

Smash Champion
New Story Mode
Chances: 100%

OH PLEASE! PLEASE! THATS WHAT WE NEED!

Nomination: Agumon x5

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Story-like Adventure mode
Want: 50%

While the idea of another Subspace Emissary styled Adventure mode would seem nice, that would really increase the amount of development time needed to complete it. Sometimes, less is more, but even Melee's Adventure Mode had its flaws in that every playthrough was the same stages in the exact same order.

Last edited:

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Story Mode Chances:
10%
Can't really add anything new to the discussion. Sakurai doesn't want leaks, it's a lot of work and 5 doesn't seem to be worked on as long as other Smash games, the roster might be too big. Still nearly every fan wants it and maybe Sakurai isn't the sole decision maker.

Story Mode Want:
100%

Hades Predict:
11,28%

Nominations:
5x Lana

Megaban

Smash Cadet
STORY MODE (btw, I'll be giving 2 scores): 1. Melee-like adventure mode, 2. Closer to Subspace Emissary

Chance: 70%/25%

So, I think it's unlikely we'll get a big story mode like Subspace emissary. Sakurai once stated he didn't do one in Smash 4 because he wanted cutscenes in SSE to be like a reward for the player, but the fact Youtube exists made ppl less willing to actually PLAY SSE because they could just watch them without going through SSE. Tho he can change his mind as usual. And Melee-like adventure mode is pretty likely, but depends on what Sakurai prioritises, because that time needed could go to a different resource/

Want: 50%/95%
I'd LOVE a SSE-like story mode. Subspace Emissary was the BEST part of Brawl and I've played through it SO many times. Melee-style Adventure mode seems bland-ish to me, but it's still something.

Nomination: Lana x5

Prediction: Hades -12%

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Ok so I am doing the calcs rn, but let me post my scores

Adventure Mode
40% Chance
80% Want

TBH I feel that it could go either way. I would love a Melee adventure mode but IDK if it will happen. IT would be cool though.

DAY OVER, Please wait for calcs

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Concept- New Story Mode
25.6% Chance
72.81% Want

Seems like this is something that people generally want, they want it more than No Cuts suprisingly. However it does not seem to be that likely.

Today we are rating...Hades from Kid Icarus. Oooh Boy. I know I have some choice words on this topic. Please rate Hades in chance and want. Also predict the scores for Banjo and Kazooie.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hades

Chance: 2%
I don't see Kid Icarus getting any newcomers, and if they did, I'm confident Viridi would be first.

Want: 80%
Hades was a great villain, so I'd be all for it.

Predicting a 21% for Banjo.
Nominating English Marth x5

When freaky aliens give you lemons, make freaky alien lemonade.
Hades

Sorry Hades, but you're out of luck. There really isn't anything you have to get you into smash. As the main villain of Uprising, you do have some modicum of importance, but it's quite small in the grand scheme of things. Medusa has seniority and Viridi basically has everything else. He really only has recency, and even that is with it being your debut game in a franchise with 3 games. But even with that when you look at who showed up in smash, Hades . . . didn't. He has a trophy on the 3ds version but that's it. Meanwhile Viridi also has a trophy but also a mii costume, a stage, and is a part of palutena's guidance.

IMO chance-wise Viridi >Medua=Hades, and Viridi herself is already bordering on impossible. Sorry bub.

EDIT: Also, not to mention, his possible non-existent future. It is possible for him to be revived but it's implied that he might not be. Compared to Viridi who quite clearly would come back in another game and Medusa who hasn't been erased from this plane of existence. . .not that any of them have a bright future. Hades just happens to have the darkest.

Want: 70%
I mean I still love the guy. KIU is my favorite game of all time, so frankly I would take all the content I could get. He's no Viridi but he is still a fun character in a game chock-full of great characters.

Noms
Marth and Roy get English VAs x5

Last edited:

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Hades
Chance: 5%
He just has no chance in he..the underworld. I think three Kid Icarus characters is all we are getting and even if there was to be a fourth it will probably be Medusa or Viridi.

Want: 90%
Still, I love Hades as he is a very entertaining villain in KIU.

Banjo: 17.89%

x5 to Geno

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I can see Hades possibly getting in mainly due to him being Sakurai’s creation and being a feasible last minute clone at best. It is quite easy to imagine him as a clone based on his personality and characterization in KI:U. But with Kid Icarus: Uprising fading out of relevancy with Sakurai more likely to choose clones out of relevancy and convenience, I cannot see Hades being chosen. Those two things conflict with each other, and I am unsure which would factor would win out in the end. Perhaps if there was more free time and no more feasible relevant clones come in the horizon, but that would be a very special case scenario that is unlikely at best. Who knows. I would not dismiss the possibility.

x5 Octolings

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Hades:

Chance: 4%

Want: 75%

With three KI characters already. I doubt we'll get another one. That said though Hades is the only newcomer I would want from the series right now.

Nominate Lucas x5

Banjo & Kazooie Prediction: 24.76%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Hades

Honestly if we were to get another Kid Icarus newcomer, i'd say it would be him.

Some people would argue that Ridley's size issue should also apply to this guy. There are two reasons why I think that wouldn't be such a big deal for him.

1. He's a god! So Sakurai might not find it out of character for a devine being like him to shapeshift into a different size.

2. It wasn't just the fact that Ridley is giant that prevented him from making the cut. It was also the fact he's a goddamn giant pyerodactyl. Sakurai just didn't know what to do with his giant wings, limbs and tail. Hades, on the other hand, is atleast human shaped.

I also assume size plays a bigger part in how menacing Ridley is. Where as it matters less for Hades due to him being a more comedic villain.

"But why not have Medusa over him, she's been around since the original NES game"

I recall it being revealed that Medusa was just some lower entity, who was revived by Hades and that even back in 1987 he was secretly pulling the strings.

Why have the puppet, when we can have the puppeteer?

Oh and I think he's likelier than Viridi as well due to having more plot significance and actually having a reference for his potential moveset.

Want: 94%

Don't give a DAMN if people think Kid Icarus is overrepped. This guy is awesome and hilarious. And hey... he's a villain. You guys want more of those, right?

Predictions for the bear and bird: 44.88%

Nominations: Canon DK/Bowser/Diddy voices x3 Qbby x2

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Hades

Chance: 10% - If Sakurai wants to add more Kid Icarus characters, Hades is one of the frontrunners, with his main competition being Viridi.

Want: 0% - No interest.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x5

D

Deleted member

Hades the Magnificent

Chance: 2%

Sakurai bias or not, his time has passed, unfortunately.

Easily one of Nintendo's best villains. I'd love to have him in Smash.

Nomination: Simon Belmont x5

D

Deleted member

"Sorry to keep YOU waiting. But now that I'm here, let's get this party started."

Hades chance: 5%
I don't believe in Sakurai bias. Hades is irrelevant and is rather niche among the Smash fanbase, and Sakurai's clear lack of interest in continuing Kid Icarus makes me feel like he's doomed.

Want: 65%
One of the greatest villains of all time, however I fail to see the appeal from a moveset perspective. I'd like someone to present a moveset that could change my mind, but for now I would rather have him in Palutena's guidance.

Mimikyu x2, Susie x3

Hades

Honestly if we were to get another Kid Icarus newcomer, i'd say it would be him.
Ok I get the belief that Hades would be the KI pick. I wont bother trying to argue against that.

But what makes you think that another KI character is at least a coin flip when KI hasn't received any games/media since before smash 3ds release? Just want some elaboration since I feel like this score is going to be a big outlier :p

D

Deleted member

Ok I get the belief that Hades would be the KI pick. I wont bother trying to argue against that.

But what makes you think that another KI character is at least a coin flip when KI hasn't received any games/media since before smash 3ds release? Just want some elaboration since I feel like this score is going to be a big outlier :p
Probably "Sakurai bias".

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Hades::

Chance - 10%
Yeaaaah his chances aren't too great. There's some internal competition for a Sakurai creation being in between himself and Viridi, who got wayyyy more attention and content in Smash 4 than him.

He's a villain, though. If we assume Nintendo are paying attention to us, then they would know and possibly tell Sakurai that fans want more villains as playable characters. Hades would be an easy character for Sakurai to turn to.

I don't think Sakurai will look at Uprising for new inspiration aside from a new stage, though.

Want: 35%
Largely indifferent. He is a villain with personality, so he has that going for him. I never played Uprising (yes I know but the 3DS controls don't seem to favour me, if it gets remastered for Switch I'd get it) so no attachment for the character.

Banjo prediction: 18.2%

Noms: Black Shadow x5

Top Bottom