• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Shovel Knight
Chance - 20%
Again, it's pretty rough to be a 3rd party, but he is also indie. Indie games have gained respect over time, but I could still see adding one being low priority. I would of never expected Bayonetta to win the ballot, so I really don't know how any future characters whether base roster or DLC with the ballot in mind could turn out.
Want - 40%
He looks alright and his game was very well received. Of the videos I watched, the game was charming with the character movements and tie backs to the old school games. I'm not honestly sure how interesting a move set the character could have though as it could quickly look like another Link, Marth, etc. Not really wildly for or against him overall.

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Shovel Knight

Chance: 35%

He's relevant to Nintendo and in general but idk how well an indie character who first appeared less than 5 years ago qualifies. Then again, Smash has a history of adding characters a very small amount of people predicted.

Want: 20%

Ehh... He just doesn't excite me very much. I wouldn't mind him, but he doesn't look particularly interesting to me and I'm conflicted on which indie character should get in first (like Commander Video, Meat Boy, or (the previously discussed) Shantae).

Predictions:

Zelda Newcomer
Chance: 65%
Want: 70%

Nomination:

Doomguy x5

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Shovel Knight

Chance: 7.5%
I can't imagine an indie character happening nya, though if Nintendo were to choose a indie character, it'd likely be him mew.

Want: 15%
Simply put, I don't care for him nya. He's dead.

Nyomination
Concept; No Cuts: x5

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
Shovel Knight

Chance: 25%

He's far and away the standout choice for an indie character, from one of the most popular and memorable games to actually be on the Wii U and he had popularity in the ballot. On the other hand, he's nowhere near as big in Japan as in the West and there's a solid chance we get no 3rd party newcomers or very limited ones, meaning no room for an indie darling.

Want: 55%
Never played the game but it looks like you can do all sorts of cool **** that translates well into a Smash moveset, i'd be down to play this dude in Smash

Nominating Ganon x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Shovel Knight

Chance: 20%

Third party newcomers aren't easy to predict and I don't know if we'll get an indie character, but if there is an indie I think he's the most likely by far.

Want: 25%

Same score I gave Shantae for basically the same reason. I like him and his game but I don't have a lot of interest in seeing an indie character in Smash right now.

Zelda newcomer prediction: 50%

Nominations: Jibanyan x5

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Chances: 25% - tough one when it comes to not only being a 3rd party character, but an indy character as well

Want: 2% - No offense to the fans, but I don't want this guy anytime soon. He only got 2% from me due to fans appreciation and moveset potential (I mean a ****ing shovel. THAT is more unique than 5+ swordfighters)

Zelda newcomer nomination: 52.8%

Nominations: Zeraora x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Dang it I missed another day.
Shovel Knight
Chance: 10%
The whole "indie character" thing just doesn't seem likely to me.
Want: N/A
I need to play more games.

Zelda Newcomer prediction: 55%
Noms: Mike Jones x5

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Shovel Knight

Chance: 15%

The ballot is the only thing that can help him. Other than that, I can see him getting eclipsed by bigger third parties unless Sakura wants to add an indie character.

Want: 60%

He'd be cool, Shovel Knight was a great game.

Prediction for Zelda Newcomer: 34%

Nomination: Sans x5

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Shovel Knight

Chance: 15%
I feel like if it is going to be any indie it will be Shovel knight. He has quite the popularity, he has previous work experience with a bunch of different franchises. Has worked with Nintendo to have an amiibo.

My main concern is that ultimately Indies are niche. Bayonetta was someone that I could see even non-gamers knowing about. The problem is it really hard to gague Shovel Knight's popularity especially as a 3rd party. Which is a concern if they are going to use the ballot to pick choices.

Want: 10%
Eh, I really just don't care for shovel knight honestly.

Nominations: Ashley (Warioware) x5

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Shovel Knight

Chance 50%: I think he is fairly likely. He has high demand, an Amiibo, and fits Smash Bros quite well.

Want 45%: I've never played Shovel Knight so I don't have any real connection to him. However, if he was added I wouldn't really care. He just isn't someone I'd ask for.

Nominations:
Jibanyan 3x
Skull Kid 2x

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Shovel Knight

Chance: 12%
Want: 15%
The real problem at the heart of any discussion over 3rd-party indies is this: The indies that really matter aren't Nintendo-friendly enough to be in the running, and the indies that are Nintendo-friendly enough aren't distinguishing enough to be the one indie that gets into Smash.

Shovel Knight overlaps the two areas, but not enough that I feel who would qualify. You could make a case, yes - there's more than enough retro-themed indie games that harken back to the classics, over all of which Shovel Knight stands as an exemplar. If the aim at including him is to represent those aspiring companies and entries, then Shovel Knight is perfect! But my issue is that if there's only room for one indie character in all of Smash Bros., which is really the likeliest scenario notwithstanding any serious generosity on Nintendo's part, then Shovel Knight isn't who comes to mind if you're looking for the one indie to represent all indies.

Of course, that's a pretty presumptuous expectation for how Nintendo would spend their 3rd party indie slot, if they ever spend it at all.

Predictions:
Zelda Newcomer: 39%

Nominations:
Arle Ndja (Puyo Puyo) 5x

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Shovel Knight

40% Chance
80% Want

Tdlr most likely indie, cool character, popular and has amiibo.

Nominating Spyro x5

Day over, rate Zelda Newcomer concept and predict decidueye.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A Zelda newcomer getting in ultimately depends on how far Sakurai will go outside the box for the Zelda franchise. I think Sakurai will go as far as having Breath of the Wild content incorporated in character movesets, but not as far as choosing one-off Zelda characters for playability. Maybe an out-there character like Classic Ganon could be chosen in the same vein of Zero Suit Samus/Sheik’s surprising inclusion in Melee/Brawl.

But the out-there choices from already represented franchises in Smash 4 have been choices that were included due to heavy promotion of the character like Rosalina. Such surprise inclusions could happen again with Smash Switch with possible choices like Isabelle, which makes seeing Sakurai going out of the box for Zelda choices like Classic Ganon hard to see happening. For Zelda, I feel Sakurai will think that Zelda already has its essential line-up for him to not consider a Zelda newcomer.

x5 Octolings

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 75%

Want: 100%

With Link being reworked into his Breath of The Wild appearance, It's very likely we'll see a new character from Zelda.

The character I hope it is: Skull Kid or Classic Ganon

Decidueye Prediction: 63.67%

Nominate Lucas x4, New Donk Cityx1

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shovel Knight

40% Chance
80% Want

Tdlr most likely indie, cool character, popular and has amiibo.

Nominating Spyro x5

Day over, rate Zelda Newcomer concept and predict decidueye.
good lord that chance%

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Zelda newcomer
Chance: 90%
I think with the success of BotW that it's time Zelda got the attention it deserves, and I think Sakurai will agree. I'm almost positive we'll see a newcomer finally, whether that's specifically from BotW or a missing "iconic" character like Impa, Tingle, or even Pig Ganon.

Heck, give me multiple Zelda newcomers. There's a lot of untapped potential there: even just looking at BotW there's Mipha who uses a spear, Revali who uses a bow, Daruk who uses a hammer, and Urbosa who uses scimitars. Impa has a ton of potential to pull from OoT, SS, and Hyrule Warriors. Tingle would be an excellent amd very unique "joke" character. Pig Ganon, Tetra, Daphnes, Midna, all would bring different playstyles to the game as well.

Prediction for Decidueye: 66.2%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex), Impa x2, Mipha x2

D

Deleted member

Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 5%

Unless someone like Midna or Ghirahim scored high enough on the Ballot, or one of the HW OCs or BotW Champions piqued Sakurai's interest, or we get a last-minute (semi-)clone of one of the main three, I don't see it. Zelda isn't exactly a series in desperate need of a newcomer (a smaller franchise like Fire Emblem having only one more character than Zelda be damned), and the only real noteworthy characters left are Impa, whose incarnations throughout the series have been very inconsistent (ranging from an old lady to a ninja to a samurai), and the near-universally hated Tingle.

And let's be real, the only reason why Zelda has as many characters as it does now is because two were last minute (semi-)clones while one was initially part of the titular princess's moveset. We'd probably only have one incarnation each of the big three otherwise.

Want: 50%

Depends on who it is, though there's plenty of untapped potential from Zelda, unfortunately.

Prediction: Decidueye - 65.4%

Nomination: Shulk x5

Sorry if I came off as too negative here, but I really have next to no faith in a Zelda newcomer.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Zelda Newcomer

- Kinda hard to say. There are quite a few fan favorites such as Midna, Ghirahim, Groose, the Champions, Lana, Linkle, Skull Kid, Cia, Saria,Marin and even the beast form of Ganon.

- Give me Lana, please.

Prediction

Decidueye: 68.5%

Nominations

Black Shadow x3
Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x2

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 0%
It isn't happening. Zelda has the perfect lineup (aside from Gannondorf being Blood Falcon) as it is, it literally doesn't need anyone else. The only character that Zelda could possibly need is Vaati since he was a major villain who appeared more than once. Even then he's minor as far as the Zelda franchise is concerned. If "representation" truly matters in Smash then Zelda will never get another character and as a huge fan of the series, I'm perfectly content with that.

Want: 90%
Four Swords adventure is my childhood. Vaati was awesome and I want him in the game but it'll never happen he wasn't even in Hyrule Warriors. Skull kid would be neat too. I have no desire to see Impa though unless she replaces Shiek which is why my want score isn't at 100 because I know it'll probably be her. Everyone else is a one-off character and isn't necessary.

noms: Tethu X5

Prediction: Decidueye-70%

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Zelda Newcomer

Chance- 90%
We haven't really seen new Zelda characters since Melee, and that could help or hurt the chances. With the fact that Zelda is one of the most iconic, popular and historically important game series ever, I think things will work out this time around. As to who? I dunno.

Want- 100%
It's been way too long! I've wanted a goron character for some time now, but I'd be happy with any of the Champions, Impa, Midna, Cia, Tingle, Skull Kid, any a few more I can't think of right now.

Decidueye- 63.78%

Doomguy X 4
Thwomp X 1

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 70% - I'd say there's a decent chance of A new zelda character getting in. WHO is a bit more of an ambiguous question. Besides Shiek, there's never really been a one off Zelda character in smash. So it'd likely be a character who has appeared in more than 1 mainline Zelda game. but then who? Tingle? Impa? Beedle? Toon Zelda? Vaati? besides the main 3 characters very few characters appear more than once in the main games. but maybe that won't matter to Sakurai and we'll end up with Ghirahim or Darunia or Lana or one of the champions from BOTW or something. either way. the Zelda series is quite popular, and BOTW was huge. plus SSB4 didn't give us any new Zelda characters. so maybe Sakurai will decide this time the series deserves another rep.

Want: 85% - I like the Zelda sereis. and I'm always up for newcomers. I'd love to see Impa get in (with inspiration from Hyrule Warriors) or Vaati, or Classic giant pig man Ganon.

Prediction for Decidueye: 50%

Nominations

Qbby: 3
Banjo & Kazooie: 2

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Zelda newcomer

Chance: 60%
It's time for this series to get more love! There are a lot of good characters too choose, and with BotW's high success I think it will happen

I will be pleasured by having anyone from this series gettin playable status
I would love to see one of the champions playable
Also I think the one I want most is Wolf Link +Midna

Nominations:
Concept: Project Octopath Traveller ♥5

Prediction on Decidueye: 57.9%

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Aw bean, just barely missed the chance to dunk on Shovel Knight. 5 Dark Matter noms down the drain, oh well.

Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 65% - Zelda's been on a tear as a franchise lately. Both BoTW and Hyrule Warriors were huge for the franchise, with BoTW being one of Nintendo's biggest games PERIOD in a long, long while. Getting a character from it seems like a guarantee. I mean, it WAS a guarantee, because we already got one. Even if BoTW Link is just giving Link a new skin while keeping the same moveset, it's still repping the game plenty enough as is.

The Champions are a non-factor in my mind. They're a four-pack, all equally as important, they spend the entirety of the game deader than disco, and are going to lose their flavor-of-the-week popularity and relevancy well before the next Smash comes out, at which point we'll all be annoyed we're stuck with them. Hell, I'm annoyed we still have Sheik myself. Besides, we already have a champion repped in Link. No need for more.

I think if we're getting a new character for Zelda, and I think we will, it'll be someone who's not from BoTW. Link already has his update, Zelda will get hers as well, and Sheik and Ganondorf might get Sheik's Brawl treatment and get redesigns based on concept art that undoubtedly existed for both. That plus a BoTW stage will be more than enough.

But the series is too big and popular to stick with it's five, so I think we'll see an increase of at least one. And it'll be a character that won't require three others to be made as well. Skull Kid, Tingle, Midna, Vaati, and especially Impa all have much more impressive resumes than BoTW's chump champs, and don't come with any other prerequisites like they do. There's not really any other BoTW characters worth adding either, unless someone at Nintendo thinks the majority are really jonesin' for Kohga, Maz Koshia, or Thunderblight like I've seen some people suggest.

I'm putting my faith in Impa this go around because of her stellar-if-not-consistent resume and especially due to Hyrule Warriors' pushing of her as the most important character outside of the Triforce Three. Sure she's a grandma in BoTW, but her HW design is perfect for this game, and she makes the most sense for a newcomer amongst the cast of a series that, really, has been snubbed since Melee. We could get someone like Skull Kid or Midna or Vaati through ballot votes or general popularity as well though. But BoTW already has it's rep with the current cast, and I think adding someone new just for it is a mistake. We're good as is.

Want: 65% - Impa's up there as one of my personal most wanted and the others I listed I feel are the only other ones with a shot, so I'm gonna give a want here equal to my chance score here. If we get anyone outside of that list, no thanks. But I feel confident enough with them making it to give this a majority want % too. Impa herself would be one of my few 100%'s, with the others trailing behind, but I'll wait until we get to her day for that.

Predictions

Decidueye: 66.66% - Ah the Pokemon Prince has arrived. Expecting some dissonance from the crowds backing Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, and other dark horses, but I feel like he's gonna hit some pretty high marks on the newcomers chart come tomorrow.

Nominations:

Dark Matter Blade x 5

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Zelda Newcomer
Chance: 50%
While we're long overdue for a Zelda newcomer, there doesn't really seem to be an obvious choice.
There isn't any specific character I want, I wouldn't mind there being one.

Decidueye prediction: 60%
Noms: Mike Jones x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh, there's so much to think about for this one...

New Character from the Best Nintendo Series

Chance: 40%

And that score really all depends on who it could be, so I'll briefly analyze the likely possibilities...

RECURRING CHARACTERS
  • IMPA - She's shown up in a lot of the games and is hotly requested...but her appearances are all over the place. She's most often seen as an old lady, which - while funny - really wouldn't fit with the rest of the cast. Realistically, she's only been fighting-worthy in Ocarina, Skyward Sword flashbacks, and Hyrule Warriors. Her other major issue is that her most likely moveset is taken by Sheik (who is not exactly relevant herself, considering she's a one-off and didn't even get the transformations in SSB4)
  • GANON - The pig form. The Dorf's much more menacing since he's got a human face on evil (hopefully the next isn't so derpy), but fights like an out-of-shape racecar driver. I've gotten used to the Dorf's moveset, but I wouldn't mind a few updates. Ganon could end up taking a completely new moveset and has appeared in more games, but is not much more than a generic villain at that point. Honestly, it's be really cool to see the Dorf get a Giga-Bowser-esque transformation as a final smash...
  • TINGLE - There's nobody with a hatebase as big as him! While he fit with the unsettling tone of Majora's Mask, his creepy manchild tendencies earned him a massive hatebase in the US, to the extent that his spinoffs aren't even localized. He's one of the most obvious Zelda newcomers, but people definitely didn't take it well when he was released for Hyrule Warriors over characters like Skull Kid. He's got an assist trophy, so he is known.
  • SKULL KID - Let's face it: he's basically a one-off. He had no importance in Ocarina, and his Twilight Princess appearance was annoying beyond reason. People want him from Majora's Mask, which was a great game, and deserves some represenation. Still, he is basically a one-off from ages ago by this point.
  • VAATI - A villain from the handheld set, and only one appearance as a human, the rest as a giant eye-monster. The handheld games are much more popular in the East, but the non-Ganon Zelda villains don't really stand out much.
  • TOON ZELDA - As if we need more clones in the roster. Still, Toon Link does look a bit out of place on his own repping the handheld Zelda games, and she's been around. Still, a few people would prefer...
  • TETRA - Zelda's other alter ego. A lot to work with, but people are getting frustrated with multiple versions of the same character on the roster, and Zelda's already in twice.
ONE-SHOTS
  • MIDNA - We hit her a few days ago. Twilight Princess did well enough to deserve a remake, and was well received, and Midna had a great characterization. Her appearance in Hyrule Warriors does her favors, but she is 12 years old by now. Still, her assist came in Sm4sh, when Brawl was right after her game.
  • GHIRAHIM - One of the few villainous characters who does stand out, and mostly because of his campiness. Again, Hyrule Warriors did him loads of favors, and he got an assist out of Sm4sh. He'd be fun to see, but there's so much competition and he's not that well known outside of his one game.
  • MIPHA - One of the four champions, who it would be hard to pick from. Relevant, recent, and dead so she won't show up again. A lot of people love her, but whether it's her or her brother they love is up for debate...and people do mean love here (also, way too much about banging fish lately - what about that Best Picture winner?). Also, she's got a spear, but is the only champion who is never shown doing anything other than holding it. Still, Mr. Game and Watch has more depth than her character.
  • DARUK - Champion number 2, and the one who's nobody's most or least favorite. He's not as unique (Zweihänder, so an Ike clone, since Sakurai loves making the Zelda series clones), but there is a distinct lack of super heavyweights on the roster.
  • REVALI - Literally Falco, but that's why people like him. A master bowman, so a Pit clone this time, but he definitely made an impression on people. Still, he'd have a tough time standing out in a Smash roster.
  • URBOSA - Not as unique moveset-wise, but a unique character design to be sure. Since she's got a sword and shield, she could easily pull a lot of the newer BotW moves and leave Link to be his classic self, but would Sakurai be able to resist making her another Link clone? She could also easily pull from Gerudo weaponry in OoT or MM to supplement and make her stand out more. Great character, and great voice acting, though.
SPINOFFS
  • LANA - The blue-haired anime cheerleader from Hyrule Warriors. She looks like she fell off of a Fire Emblem roster, but definitely has an...overbearingly cheerful...personality. Still, her main moveset is a magic spellbook, so there's a lot of similarities she could have with Robin
  • LINKLE - Another character made up on the spot. Unlike every other rule 63 of a character, they did manage to give her her own unique moveset and personality, but it still remains that she is only from a spinoff.

RETREADS
  • LINK - BotW gave him a new dominant hand and a whole host of new possible moves, so how much will he change to represent the new set?
  • ZELDA - We haven't even seen if she'll get that gorgeous royal gown, but if none of the Champions come by, her current specials will be easy palette swaps to get the chamipion abilities
  • GANONDORF - Who evidently forgot he can use magic while stuck in his utilt lagtime
  • YOUNG LINK - Because there are not enough Links on the roster already, and people don't like transformations (unfortunately for me) so a Majora's Mask moveset using the transformation masks would be tough but cool Or possibly even one like Hyrule Warriors incorporating the Fierce Deity (can real Link get a good version of this costume like in HW?) would be interesting.
Zelda deserves better. One of the most popular franchises, and it's had pretty well the same representation since Melee: 3 characters, 5 total movesets, and only three of those are original. Attack of the semi-clones needs to end, but Sakurai seems to not favor the series much. After the main three, it's a total tossup.

My personal preference, in order:
  1. Urbosa
  2. Midna
  3. Revali
  4. Ghirahim
and largely keep the main three with their movesets, but there can be a few changes.

Prediction for the other Bird Bowman: 43.5%
Nom: anything from Skyrim x5

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Zelda Character: 65%

I just feel like it's probably going to happen, but idk who.

I've never been a big Zelda guy. I've literally played all the main games except TP but I haven't finished any of them. Closest I got was OoT, got to the spirit temple. I stopped playing because of bad N64 controllers more than anything lmao

Decidueye prediction: 43.4%

Nom: Isabelle x5

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Zelda newcomer

Chances: 50% - this is a toss up. Can either give the Zelda series some love, or there will be some legit heat on Sakurai for no new Zelda rep. The core cast is pretty much there, but it's obvious by now the Zelda series deserves at least one newcomer

Want: 150% (extra 50% because I said so. Just say 100%) because WE NEED A NEW ZELDA REP DAMMIT. TOO MANY CHOICES TO CHOOSE FROM

Prediction Decidueye: 59%

Nomations: Zeraora x5

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Zelda newcomer

Chance- 25%
Want- 50%

Sakurai seems to only want characters who are recurring which is why Link, Zelda, and Ganny remain while Toon Link represented a separate art style and Shiek probably stuck around due to popularity within Smash Bros. The only recurring characters are Impa and Tibgle, one who has widely different appearances between games and the other is already an AT.
I don't think we'll see a one off character like Midna or the Skull Kid as those have become ATs.
It's hard to tell but I wouldn't mind a new character from the former category of recurring characters.

Nominations- Ryu Hayabusa x5

slambros

Smash Ace
Zelda Newcomer

Gonna keep this brief. I need to sleep.

Chance: 85%

Predictions:
Decidueye - 39.77%

Nominations:
Skull Kid x5

:171:

D

Deleted member

Zelda Newcomer

Chance: 65%
Zelda is long overdue for a new character. There are a lot of popular Zelda characters like Midna, Skull Kid, and Impa that have probably been looked at more seriously as potential newcomers after the ballot. Throw in some dark horses like Tingle or Pig Ganon, and there are a lot of different characters to choose from, each with sizable followings. The demand is there for a Zelda character, and it's pretty likely the Smash team finally takes notice. The franchise itself has been doing a lot lately, with TP HD, Hyrule Warriors, and BOTW under its belt. That being said, it's hard to ignore Sakurai's seeming resistance to putting in a new Zelda character. He might think it's enough to revamp Link and Zelda's movesets and designs to be more in line with BOTW (maybe Ganon too, who knows) by taking from the Champion abilities or Sheikah Slate runes respectively, with potential Final Smash changes to something like a slow-time Guardian Arrow shot. That would also rule out any champion's chances on its own, especially since they're all interchangeable and kind of unimportant in the grand scheme of things anyway.

I'd take anyone I listed above happily, except a champion. There are a few others I'd like as well, like Makar or Medli, but they're such longshots it's not worth discussing.

Decidueye Prediction: 73.51%

Nominations: Isabelle x5

Last edited by a moderator:

Troykv

Smash Master
Talking about Zelda Newcomers as a whole is something that... I don't think I can properly answer because of the weird circunstances with Zelda in Smash Bros (but the minimal rating is at least the rating I give to Midna).

Chance: Abstain

Damn, I don't want to mess to much with the scores because... heck, this is a weird subject.

Want: 60%

Many Zelda One-Shots are cool characters.

Prediction time!

Dedicueye: 61.4% (Oh boy, we have our first non veteran choice where most of the people will feel confident... included myself).

Nomination time!

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
New Zelda Character

Chance - 20%

Technically, the chance should be a solid 100 percent! We've already got a Zelda newcomer with BotW Link!

All jokes aside, I really can't see a new Zelda character happening. Sakurai seems more than content with just Links, Zeldas, and Ganondorf. It's why the Zelda roster in Smash has been the exact same for the past 17 years. Pretty much everyone else who isn't already in Smash is either a one-off character, other versions of Zelda or Ganondorf, or are Impa, Tingle, or Beedle.

Want - 90%

You know, for being Nintendo's 3rd best selling franchise, you'd expect it to get some more characters aside from 3 characters and 2 clones sometime over the course of 17 years.

Seriously, it's an absolute joke that Ganon, the owner of the Triforce of Power, and often shown as a demonic pig capable of raw destruction with swords and magic is a clone of Captain Falcon. Ganon is way too prominent of a character to just be a Captain Falcon clone. Make him a crazy pig demon (BotW spoilers). Make him a beefy, dark sword wielder. Make him a crazy pig demon WITH swords. Give him a trident. Make him a crazy pig demon with a trident. Make him whatever the hell this is supposed to be (more BotW spoilers).
There's so much that can be done with this guy, just please give him the moveset he deserves. The worst part is, this will never change, because Sakurai's main is Ganondorf. As long as Sakurai is involved in Smash, Ganon will always be relegated to being a Captain Falcon clone.

Anyway, aside from that short rant, there's so many good choices for Zelda newcomers, even ignoring a proper Ganon. Impa, a BotW champion (Urbosa is the best one, by the way), and hell, even Tingle are all characters I'd be down to see as well. You know what? Just put a straight up Guardian in there. I don't even care anymore. Just put pretty much anyone in and I'll be cool.

Nominations:
Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Zelda Newcomer:

Chance: 80%
I really do see this happening, and especially so since we didn't get one last Smash. What with the the sensational BOTW's success I think it's a better time than any to add a new edition. If they rework most of the current Zelda reps (most importantly Ganondorf, Zelda, and Link), then that would leave little representation for Twilight Princess among the Zelda characters so I could see Midna added to fill that gap. I could also see Linkle or Lana from Hyrule Warriors getting in depending on if Sakurai is favorable towards spinoffs or not. Lastly, Impa is also the only other major recurring character in the Zelda timeline so it wouldn't surprise me if she were chosen for representative #6.

Want: 80%
I really love Zelda. It's such a varied series that day in and day out continues to deliver fond memories no matter what the gimmick of each game may be. I would be delighted to have more representation from Nintendo's second biggest series.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Zelda newcomer

Chance: 25%

Not counting Young getting replaced with Toon, Zelda representation in Smash hasn't really changed since Melee and I can see why. We already have the three most important recurring characters in there. Most new characters people suggest are characters who showed up in one game and (ignoring Hyrule Warriors) were never seen again. And characters that are recurring just don't share the same level of importance.

Want: 20%

Almost every potential candidate just feels like padding to me. Maybe i'd be okay with Pig Ganon but i'd honestly just rather see a reworked Ganondorf.

Predictions:
Decidueye 77.63%

Nominations:
Hades x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Oops I missed Shovel Knight lol
I’ll throw it in there anyways
Chance: 30%
Want: 70%
I think he’s interesting and has a decent shot.
Moving on-
Zelda Newcomer:
Now, I’m not quick to give big chance scores to individual characters, but I think it’s more often warranted for concepts.
Chance: 70%
I’m not entirely sold, because there isn’t 1 stand-out obvious omission, but that isn’t exactly the criteria anymore. There are plenty of popular, recognizable, unique choices that have become relevant again, and should be considered. The 3 main picks I have my eyes on are Impa, Midna, and Skull Kid. It’s long over due since Brawl.
Want: 95%
A lot of my most wanted characters (Midna) fit in this category, but there are also some picks I really don’t want to see, like another Link, another Zelda, another Ganon, or Tingle. My reasoning against those is just wanting a new character, not just a different moveset. Link is Link, regardless of the artstyle or age, etc. As for Tingle, I just think that it’s a fighting game representing a relatively serious series- why pick a joke character? That seems so out of place to me, and the moveset possibilities don’t interest me. His Hyrule Warriors moveset was lowkey an abomination, when he finally got in the game, that is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Decidueye prediction: 64%

x2 Azura
x1 Sylux
x1 Impa
x1 Isabelle

Roberk

Smash Champion
Very unlikely from multiple points. The series representation hasn’t changed all that much since Melee, and the potential Link/Zelda BOTW reworks might just be enough to justify developing LOZ in Smash.

The Champions are all equally important and too stale alone for any to be made their own fighter. Ever since BOTW came out I thought “wow it would be cool if they reworked Link and made his specials the powers of the champions.” Other than that, we haven’t gotten anything really new or significant since Skyward Sword, 9 years ago I believe?

Sure, there’s the HW oc’s like Lana and Linkle but other than Linkle being a classic Link alt they don’t really have that much of a chance. Plus, it’s weird that Lana is considered a Zelda character... she doesn’t look like the LOZ aethstetic at all even if it is slightly anime.

The LOZ representation in Smash has gotten to a point where it’s really scraping the bottom of the barrel. There’s almost nothing in the past decade that’s worth it or makes sense to put in for relevance, everything else is a one-off character, and Ganonorf is literally Sakurai’s favorite character to play as. He’s not getting a rework while Sakurai is in charge.

There’s tons of great characters to choose from that people who have played LOZ would remember, but the world isn’t made up of semi-hardcore Zelda fans who remember and appreciate one-off characters. One of the big parts of Smash is appealing to the casuals, and things like Vaati or Groose would be a “literary who?” to most people.

Kinda neutral about this. Link is getting a rework and Zelda might get one too. I find Ganondorf pretty fun to play as, and while I would like some more giant sword-wielding pig sorcerers in Smash, I’m fine with letting Sakurai be happy.

Prediction: 80%
Gen 7 rep? Check. Grass starter with a unique ? Check. Popular? Check

Noms: Henry Fleming x5

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
New Zelda character
Chance 75%
It just feels right, it's a huge series and just had a big entry. I think it's time it go something new
Want 85%
It does depend on who, there are a lot of suggestions that I appose to. Thankfully most of those suggestions I consider unlikely anyway (Lana, Linkle, Mipha,Tingle)

Prediction
Decidueye: 65%

Nominate
Skull Kid x5

Can we get a nomination update please?

Top Bottom