• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

slambros

Smash Ace
Decidueye

Chance: 33%
He's a popular starter pokemon and a popular choice who would represent the 7th gen pretty well, so I'd say his chances are relatively high.

Want: 100%
I'd like the character to playable for sure!

Predictions for Shulk: 88%

Nominations:
Skull Kid x5

:171:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Decidueye

Chance- 75%
Want- 100%

One of the front runners of the Alola region and rightfully so. With his unique tool kit of grass, flying and ghost abilities with the archer aesthetic, why not.

The only thing I can see preventing this is if a newer Pokémon is chosen like that new electric looking movie Pokémon they just showed off. Or they opt for a mon from the next generation.

Nominations- Ryu Hayabusa x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Abstaining from commenting on the scores I'm giving to Decidueye, I keep them for when we're going to rate another Pokémon in the future.

Decidueye chances: 20%
Decidueye want: 56%

Why are we rating Shulk tomorrow rather than Skull Kid? In my updated nomination list Skull Kid was at the top and Shulk got no more nominations in the posts after my updated nomination list. I guess it's an error and the day after the schedule will respect the nomination list better TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom
It's otherwise sad because Decidueye's design reminded me a lot of Skull Kid the first time I saw it and I thought it would be a cool coincidence to rate one immediately after the other.
Anyway, Shulk prediction: 92.76%
Edit: adding in case Shulk is replaced by Skull Kid: 14.40%

Nominating:
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x5

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Decidueye Chances 55%
A lot of Decidueye's perceived chances are people seeing a pattern of popularity they saw before with Greninja, and with Lucario before that. A lot of his actual chances can indeed thank his popularity, which indeed started high with the reveal of the beloved Rowlet, and has barely dropped. Letting it sit in for a year and a half had been kind to the Sun and Moon starter trio. There are few generations of Pokemon where all 3 starters are so equally liked, but even then, the Rowlet line sticks out. Decidueye is in Pokken, has anime popularity, and moveset potential with no overlap from anybody on the roster

Want 100%

Nominate: Sheriff / Diskun x5

Prediction - Abstain until we find out if it will actually be Skull Kid per the noms list.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Decidueye
Chance: 75%
The only reason it isn't higher is because I view something crazy happening as not impossible just yet. When the roster was being finalized for this game, Generation 8 didn't even exist more than likely, so if we get a rep from them it'll be either DLC or we won't get one. Keep in mind though Sakurai has a tendency to drop characters at the very last possible minute, which could be possible with a Gen 8 rep here.

Want: 20%
He would be cool to have simply because he's a ghost type. I picked Litten though, so meh.

Prediction: Shulk 83%

UserKev

Smash Champion
The only thing I can see preventing this is if a newer Pokémon is chosen like that new electric looking movie Pokémon they just showed off.
It won't though. Its hilariously cheesy. Haha Like they tried to pull a Swat Cats look.

I hope it never gets in. I'd even rather Slowbro over it.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Robin Hood

Chance: 55%
While he is the Gen 7 choice among the Smash fandom, I feel that he does get overestimated a bit. In terms of popularity, while he is the most popular among the Smash fandom, it doesn't seem to be carried with the Pokémon fandom (at least in Japan) as the Nintendo Dream poll had him behind both of his counterparts as well as other popular candidates like Lycanroc and Mimikyu. In terms of promotion, TCPi has only really pushed him in Pokken, in every other form of media for Gen 7 it's either not that present (I Choose You), shares its spotlight with the other starters equally (USUM hype period), and/or completely loses out to the other candidates (the main anime where it only has a brief appearance). If this was a race between the other Gen 7 Pokémon, it'd be a bit behind the others as they have more going for them currently.

With all of that said however, it is a starter and thus popular by nature, it was in Pokken as mentioned before, and it would be a unique Pokémon overall. It does still check off a number of things that Sakurai would be looking for in a new Pokémon, and while I do feel its competition is very stiff, it does still have a good chance even if it's not the unarguable frontrunner that we make it out to be.

Want: 85%
One of my most wanted Gen 7 Pokémon, I liked it in SM and I think it'd be a fun addition to the franchise.

Nominations:
Lycanroc x5

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Decidueye

Chance: 75%
I think its likley they will add a new rep for pokemon and adding a grass starter makes sense to me. That being said its also possible they can add a gen 8 rep but I don’t know if there was even concept art for the gen 8 pokemon when the roster was decided.

I think he would be really fun. He is one of my favorite pokemon. Maybe he would be a bit on the defensive side. Spirit Shackle would be a cool move to use too.

Nominations: Hades x5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Decidueye

Chance - 65%

I know patterns are never a good thing to go off of, but there's been a pattern for the last couple of Smash games to add some new Pokemon. I feel like Gen 8 has most definitely missed the roster, assuming the general idea that the roster had been finalized sometime in late 2016 / early 2017, so a Gen 7 Pokemon is certainly the best to go with.

Decidueye has a lot going for him, with Rowlet being the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon, having a unique typing, bringing a unique fighting style not yet seen in Smash to the table (closest thing we have to an archer is Link / Pit, and we really don't have a Bird in Smash either because Falco is a Fox clone), and being able to finish the starter type triangle that Ivysaur and Squirtle left behind, and Greninja took half of the place of.

The biggest problem Decidueye has going for him though is Mimikyu. Mimikyu is another extremely popular Gen 7 Pokemon with potential for a very unique moveset, so I think the two are definitely fighting for the spot. If Pokemon Company is the one making the final decision, there's no way they WOULDN'T choose Mimikyu, because he's promoted significantly more so than any other Gen 7 Pokemon.

However, I feel like Mimikyu's biggest downfall is quite frankly what makes him so unique, the fact that he looks like Pikachu. I think that he'd probably confuse some younger Smash players when looking at him from a faraway distance on a large stage, and he most certainly wouldn't be a clone of Pikachu, so it couldn't really be a Pit / Dark Pit kind of situation. There's also the fact of the matter with how I think Sakurai and Friends would likely find Decidueye a more interesting character from a moveset, offering two untapped character traits (archery and aviation), more so than Mimikyu's gimmick of being a shadow creature under Pikachu.

Really, I'd say it's somewhat of a coin flip, but Decidueye certainly has some more going for him than Mimikyu does.

Want - 75%

I adore Decidueye's design and what he brings to the table in terms of moveset potential. I just wish he came from a better game.

Nominations:
Hades (Kid Icarus) x5

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Decidueye:

Chance - 55%
There is a lot of competition for a Gen 7 Pokemon. His pre-evolution, Rowlett, is more popular. Mimikyu was used more for marketing. Incineroar, Lycanroc and a Ultra Beast have as much potential and fame to boast about too.

The grass starter argument holds no water for me. The only time this was mentioned as important was for Pokemon Trainer's gimmick. Sure, it makes sense to have the three starting types represented, but in no way is it a must have. As evidenced Smash 4 and Sceptile not being a fighter in the game.This seems more appropriate for your desires rather than a point to lead to his inclusion.

Move set potential is what I think is his best asset. Compared to the other possibilities, his translates to Smash more efficiently and something I can see Sakurai enjoying making. There is a lot of inspired options for this character, which is why I gave him a higher than average chance.

Want - 60%
I do not care for the Pokemon series as I used to, but he was certainly the most interesting starter in Sun/Moon. His design and potential could make for a fun fighter, so why not?

Noms: Phoenix Wright x3, Black Shadow x2

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Decidueye: 40%

While I think a generation 7 pokemon is likely, I'm not sure if it would be Decidueye. it could be Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Zeraora, or even Rowlet itself.

Want: 70%

It's definitely the favorite starter that I haven't picked from 7th gen, I love avian characters so much.

Prediction Shulk 91.15%

Nominate Isabelle x5

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Decidueye
Chance: 65%
As far as Gen VII characters go, he seems like one of the more likely choices.
Want: 75%
I actually like Decidueye.

Shulk prediction: 95%
Noms: Mike Jones x5

Megaban

Smash Cadet
DECIDUEYE
Chance -55%

Decent chance, new Smash always gives new generation Pokemon and 8th Generation is too late, so it will be 7th generation Pokemon. Decidueye seems to be most wated nd overall liked of the new starters. Would close out Grass/Fire/Water combo as well with Charizard and Greninja. Thing is... it's Pokemon, no real way to say which one catches Sakurai's attention.

Want -67%
Decidueye would be a cool choice, tho I'm not necessarily waiting for him, I'd prefer Grovyle, but that's very unlikely.

Nomination: Lana x5

Prediction: Shulk 93%

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Decidueye
Chance:50%

We don't know when the Pokemon gets picked, but he's definitely a front runner. Inciniroar may be chosen because Sakurai has a great idea for a grappler style character, or Mimikyu because a haunted Pikachu cosplayer was always going to end up being a fan favourite. Might even be someone we don't expect, but we're definitely getting a new Pokemon.

Want: 0%

Decidueye for me is this Smash's Shulk or Paluntena. He seems so obvious I'm actually not excited at all by the inevitable reveal. I do like archer characters, but there's only really one Pokemon who would get me truly excited by his appearance in Smash, but he's busy blasting off every ten seconds. Unfortunately for me, it's almost definitely owl boy here.

Shulk Prediction: 93.4%
just because people may think he's going to get replaced by Elma or Rex for some insane reason.

Nomination: Isabelle X 5

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Decidueye

Chance: 50%
If we're getting a Pokemon newcomer, it's someone from Gen VII over Gen VIII (If the Pokemon Switch game even is that). Now, as for the Pokemon newcomer going to Decidueye, well it depends. It's not the only popular Pokemon from Alola as other people have pointed out. Decidueye being a grass starter means nothing.

Now, I don't know how much of an influence the anime could have on Smash Switch but so far, Ash's Rowlet has yet to evolve. And for people citing Pokken as reason to support Decidueye's chances. It could inspire moveset ideas, but Pokken is its own thing. Greninja and Jigglypuff aren't playable in Pokken despite being playable in Smash.

Sorry. I picked Litten. So, my bias goes to Incineroar. I also would put Mimikyu, and Buzzwole over Decidueye.

Nomination
Callie and Marie x5

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Decidueye

Chances: 77%
Compared to most characters that people speculate about, Decidueye has plenty going for him. Being a well-received final evolution of a starting character is a solid base for absolutely anyone, even if he owes a lot of his popularity to the base that Rowlet built up. But he's also part of the currently-latest generation of Pokemon, and if there's anything that Smash Bros. has yet to pass up in its inclusions, it's adding another Pokemon from whichever Gen is the youngest. Add to that the fact that he is a goddamn archer owl, and you've got a character that practically makes his own moveset.

(I do worry, though, that Sakurai will look at this archer owl and instead think "JFC, I already made Falco and Pit. How many more winged projectle-based characters do we really need?")

The main counterargument is how much opposition from his own generation that Decidueye must contend against, Pokemon that offer other strengths that he can't necessarily match. Mimikyu has tangible support from TPC, Incineroar and Primarina aren't exactly a whole step behind him in terms of quality or popularity, Lycanroc offers an even stranger body type and elemental focus, and the Ultra Beasts brandish "representation" like many other characters, coupling it with appearances and thematics even weirder than most Pokemon can boast. There are a lot of decent 'mons to choose from, and there's no guarantee yet that Decidueye will stand at the top of 'em all.

Another point: instead of looking at Pokken as a factor supporting a character's inclusion (something I wasn't going to do because it's a spin-off, thank you very much), maybe start asking if Pokken might become a detraction to a character's chances instead. By creating a space for the likes of Sceptile, Weavile, Scizor and Blaziken to join their own all-star fighting game, the pressure to join Smash Bros. and find immortality there lightens to a considerable degree. Decidueye's playability in Pokken means that if he's actually absent from Smash, it will not be such a great loss for his base and anyone who likes him because he's already a playable fighting character, in a different game. If that's TPC's mindset of the whole thing, then they might not push him as hard to be a Smash Bros. inclusion, leaving Decidueye's fate entirely in Sakurai's unpredictable hands.

Of course, no one ought to ignore Pokken serving as a barometer for relative Pokemon fame either. And in that regard, it seems odd that the apparently-least-popular final evolution of his generation was chosen to be playable, whereas both Litten and Popplio were relegated to assist status. Suppose they needed more Grass-types?

Want: 90%
He's an archer owl. It meshes so perfectly with his secondary thematic as spirit guardian of the woods that most 'mons can only dream that they could juggle so many complimentary ideas together. Plus, it's now or never for this guy; Generation 7 is already on the wane, and the emergence of a new one will only crush his chances like those of any other 'mon who gets left a generation behind.

Prediction:
Shulk - 96%

Nominations:
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) 5x

Last edited:

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Decidueye

Chance: 45%
Gen 7 coming to smash will very likely happen nya, and Decidueye has as good of a chance as many others mew. Whether or nyot having the complete starter trio matters to Sakurai enough to consider him though, I don't nyo nya.

Want: 60%
I'd prefer to see Mimikyu or Lycanroc come into smash nya, but Decidueye is ok nya.

Nyominations
Concept; No Cuts: x5

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Decidueye

Chance: 10%

I can't for the life of me figure out where Decidueye predictions even started coming from. I've looked at so many polls from the recent Pokemon gen's to general up-to-date ones, and I don't see him anywhere. But I'm going say, even with no real evidence, that there could potentially be a push for him to be the next Greninja in the future.

Nominations: Lip x5

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Decidueye

It has its fans, and I'm pretty sure it's the most popular of the three starters, but honestly I can't really see it getting into the game as a fighter due to the fact that it's never really been marketed as one of the Gen. 7 Pokémon much like certain other Pokémon have (i.e. Mimikyu, Lyanroc, Tapu Koko). It could still go either way, though.

Want: 50%

It looks appealing enough, but I'd rather have either Incineroar or Mimikyu.

Nominations: Lyanroc x5

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Updated nominations TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom

FYI not only was Skull Kid ahead of Shulk prior to today, but also Doomguy and Anna were. Based off of the last update, at least Skull Kid was.

Skull Kid x233
Doomguy x 228
Anna (Fire Emblem) x 220
Veteran: Shulk x 217
Dr. Eggman x 212
Phoenix Wright x 208
Jibanyan x205
Marx (Kirby) x 200

Veteran: Lucina x 195
Concept: No Cuts x 191
Geno x 174
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x164
Micaiah x 162
Dark Matter Blade (Kirby) x155
Concept: New story mode x155
Bomberman x 154
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x158
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x148
Blue Bowser x147
Hades x147
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) x145
Veteran: Lucas x 143
Sora x 143
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x137
Ashley (WarioWare) x132
Veteran: Mewtwo x130
Elma x128
Banjo & Kazooie x 123
Sans (Undertale) x123
Agumon x120
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x115
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x113
Isabelle x105
Black Shadow x101
Tsubasa Oribe (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) x100
Travis Touchdown x 100
Funky Kong x99
Impa x 98
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x95
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x93
Urban Champion x93
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x89
Kamek x87
Lycanroc x87
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x86
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x83
2B (Nier: Automata) x 78
Excitebiker x78
Ryu Hayabusa x75
Labo Related Character x 68
Dark Samus x 68
Octoling (Splatoon) x65
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x61
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x60
Azura (Fire Emblem) x 57
Concept: Skyrim representation x55
Lip (Panel de Pon) x55
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You) x 54
Masked Link x50
Veteram: Roy x48
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x48
Spyro x48
Veteran: Greninja x46
Klonoa x45
Simon Belmont x45
Lloyd Irving (Tales) x42
Linkle x40
Parabo and Satebo x38
Cranky Kong x38
Mipha x37
Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x36
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x35
Susie (Kirby) x30
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x30
Zeraora (Pokémon) x29
Tetra x28
Doshin the Giant x27
Fawful x26
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa x 26
Balloon Fighter x26
Thwomp (Mario Bros.) x26
Returning game mode: Smash Run x25
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Dragonite x25
Concept: Wars Character x23
Concept: Indie Character x 22
Concept: Style Savvy Character x 22
Tingle x21
Scizor x 21
Veteran: Palutena x 21
Arcade Bunny x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x20
Django (Boktai) x20
Katrielle Layton x19
Snorlax x19
Poipole (Pokemon) x17
Veteran: Bayonetta x17
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x16
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x15
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x15
Sylux (Metroid) x14
Starfy x14
Veteran: Robin x 14
9-Volt (WarioWare) x14
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x14
Petey Piranha x13
Ray (Custom Robo) x12
Concept: Custom Moves Return x12
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Gooey (Kirby) x12
Veteran: Cloud x11
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x11
Toad x11
Sable Prince x11
Toon Zelda x11
Viridi x10
Samurai Goroh x10
Mach Rider x9
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Mimikyu x 9
Veteran: Pac-Man x9
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x9
Stage: New Donk City x9
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x8
Gengar x7
Veteran: Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Tails x 7
Veteran: Dark Pit x6
Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x6
Dragonborn x6
Lara Croft x6
Kozukata Yori (Fatal Frame) x5
Donkey Kong Jr. x5
Concept: Decloned Lucina x5
Galacta Knight (Kirby) x5
Morag and Brighid (Xenoblade) x5
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x4
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Mii Fighters x 4
KOS-MOS x4
King Boo x4
Geese Howard (Fatal Fury/ King of Fighters) x3
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Veteran: Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Veteran: Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Tom Nook x3
[Rerate] Isaac (Golden Sun) x2
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Endou Mamoru x2
Concept: Snipperclips representation x2
Tora and Poppi x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Sukapon x1
Slime (Dragon Quest) x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Concept: Entire roster revealed at E3 x1

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Decidueye
Chance 60%
He has a fair bit of competition and aside from pokken, he hasn't had much promotion. But he does compliment the roster well
Want 85%
A very cool Pokemon, probably my favourite of Alola

Prediction shulk
91%

Nominate
Parabo and Satebo x3
Lara Croft x2

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Decidueye

Chance: 60%

Want: 80%

Seems to be the frontrunning for next Pokemon newcomer. Of course it could be a gen 8 Pokemon which I'm starting to find unlikely at this point.

Shulk Prediction: 87.73%

Nominate Lucas x5

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Decidueye

Chance: 50%
I'd say that, out of all the possible Pokemon reps to come to Smash 5, though that's not to say he's the CLEAR choice, as he doesn't seem to be the most likely by a very large margin. His biggest competitors right now are Mimikyu and Incineroar. (also with the possibility that Sakurai will go for something completely different like Buzzwole or Marshadow, two pokemon who are prominent in their own respective ways in the anime as of recent.

Want: 20%
I have to say, I'm not crazy about him. I'd honestly much rather the next pokemon rep be something like Buzzwole, but if he gets in I don't think I'd really mind, as Pokemon isn't that high on my priority list.

Nominations: Marx x5

D

Deleted member

Only post I'm making in this thread.

Decidueye...has anime popularity
....what anime popularity? It only appeared briefly in one episode.

It's Rowlet that has the anime popularity. And last I checked Rowlet =/= Decidueye.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morbi

Scavenger
Decidueye

Chance: 15%

The only reason it is so low is it is impossible to predict who the Pokemon Company will want to promote and even then, my money is on Zeraora. He is one of four potential Gen 7 and that ignores Gen 1 and 8. Again, it is like throwing a dart while being blindfolded.

Are you kidding me? He is probably the most unique potential fighter, which is actually another reason I doubt they will choose him. The Pokemon characters have been very vanilla.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Decidueye

Chance: 80%. Popular new Pokémon from the latest gen, kind of like Greninja in a lot of ways. Even a starter and everything! Also didn't Ash get like, a Rowlet or something in the anime?

Want: 90%. He'd be rad as heck! I'd love an aerial archer who stays airborne, snipes his opponents, and then swoops in for the kill.

Predictions

Shulk: 85%. I am, in fact, really feeling it for his chances. Well-received veteran, relevant and popular home series, unique moveset... yeah.

Skull Kid: 15%. Not particularly relevant compared to something like a Breath of the Wild character, but he does have fans and whatnot.

Nominations: Blue Bowser x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
ShinyRegice ShinyRegice and PK_Wonder PK_Wonder my bad, was using an outdated noms list. Keep at Shulk predictions for today,updated the noms list.

Will calc the rest later, but...

WALUIGI
34.21% Chance
60.00% Want

An even 60 in want. I literally had to triple check that but somehow that came out. Either way Waluigi snuck into both the top ten of chance and want. He even cracked top 5!!! Interestingly, both of his scores were around double that of Daisy's.

Smasher 101 Smasher 101 was the closest, they have five extra noms.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Decidueye

Chance - 65% - While I want to remain objective, it's hard to not see how much he has going for him. Being a ghostly grass archer immediately screams unique compared to his fellow starters, and ended up really popular besides. While his popularity may have been a bit late, Sakurai seems to have an idea of who will end up popular. That and coming from the most recent gen really helps him out.

Want - 85% - Even if I don't think it's going to affect his chances, I'd like to complicate the starter trio. Grass archer is also a cool concept.

Predictions

Shulk - 97.68% - Why are we rating this?

Nominations

Anna X5

StormC

Smash Hero
Chance: 50%. I'd say for a new Pokemon character, it's 50 for Decidueye, 40 for Mimikyu, and 10 for something else unpredictable. He has an instantly striking design (which is why Sakurai picked Greninja) with a unique niche for archery, and with his appearance in Pokken, it's possible GameFreak would push for him in Smash. Starters are also very clearly given priority for playable appearances. The only thing that might hold him back is timing for the game's development and whether or not Sakurai considers another option more appealing. I'd rate Decidueye higher than almost any other character for this game, though. There are no "sure things" this time around. That said, if he misses the base game, he definitely won't be DLC, which hurts his chances a bit.

Want: 75%. When Decidueye's design was leaked I instantly fell in love with it. He went on to be my favorite Alola starter and Grass starter in general. Of all the gen 7 candidates, he's by far my favorite and I'd love to see him in Smash. Only reason he isn't higher is because a few other characters take much bigger priority for me.

EDIT: Wait, are we still rating Decidueye...?

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Decidueye

Chance: 82% - Gen 8 will be too late to get a mon in this time. Even if we do get a new game this year, I'm expecting a remake of some sorts before a fully new gen happens.

To me it's clear that TPC sees Decidueye as one of the frontrunning Pokemon of Gen 7. Let's take a look at what's going on in Decidueye's favor.

- Rowlet is the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon. No, it's not Decidueye itself, but it's the same line, and Decidueye's popularity isn't far behind. Rowlet itself also doesn't really have a bodytype that lends itself to Smash like it's final stage, so it's popularity will most likely contribute to Decidueye being pushed for a game like this instead.

- Decidueye was decided upon as THE Gen 7 representation for Pokken DX, as well as the big marketed new addition for DX. It's on the center of the boxart, was emphasized in it's reveal trailer, and competitors like Mimikyu and the Litten and Popplio lines were made into assists instead. It got the focus and marketing push, not them, not Tapu Koko, not Lycanroc, and not an UItra Beast.

- Decidueye's moveset is wholly unique to everything else on the Smash roster, and practically writes itself. Sakurai loves characters with unique fighting styles, and amongst Gen 7's offerings, a spectral archer with plant-based powers absolutely stands out amongst the competition. In this regard, I feel like Mimikyu sharing a Ghost type with Decidueye is actually a disadvantage. All of the spooky attacks and potential that Mimikyu has can just as easily be done by Decidueye, along with all of Decidueye's more unique offerings. All Mimikyu has over Decidueye is what, a stick to thump people with? It definitely feels, to me, that Sakurai would gravitate towards one over the other.

- Many of it's opponents fall off for one reason or another. Ultra Beasts are for the most part a set, and the ones that stick out most from the crowd, Nihilego and the box legends, all have very unworkable bodytypes for a game like this. Cheeto Puff Lycanroc has anime in it's favor, sure, but being quadrupedal without being cartoony enough to stand up like Duck Hunt or having vines to compensate for lacking hands like Ivysaur is going to be a point against it. Plus, the lacking originality of Cheeto Dog being an orange recolor of the Day form with a hair poof hampered it's popularity significantly. Incineroar is a less popular starter already passed over for Decidueye once before in Pokken while it's baby was an Assist, and has the unfortunate distinction of being a fire-based character in a game that already has plenty of those, a fire Pokemon among them. It's moveset potential is also lacking compared to Decidueye's. Sure it can do wrestling moves and cheap tricks like a heel, but there's much more interesting concepts to be explored with Decidueye's paranormal, plant-spawning archer abilities.

- With those out of the way, it's two biggest competitors, in my mind, are Mimikyu and Tapu Koko. Both are popular, have moveset potential, and are featured prominently in the games Sakurai will be drawing from. Mimikyu suffers from having a very awkward bodytype, and from Decidueye being able to use it's otherwise stand-out ghost moves just as well as it can. It's rampant popularity can't be denied, but considering it got made an assist in Pokken instead of a playable fighter despite that popularity, I get the feeling TPC doesn't see it as as much of a "fighter" as it does Decidueye. All that leaves is Tapu Koko, who I honestly think is the dark horse in the running for a Gen 7 slot. It has a workable body type, with awkward but usable hands and an upright stature, and has a sizable role in both the Sun and Moon anime as well as the games. In the anime, it's been watching over and teaching Ash regularly, making consistent appearances throughout the show. In the games it has even more, being the deity of the game's starting island, saving the player from falling to their death, and having important story showings during the Ultra Beast invasion and right after the player becomes champion. It's popularity is nothing to sneeze at either. The only thing I really see getting in Tapu Koko's way is it's electric typing, already shared with series mascot Pikachu, hampering it's moveset potential. Yes it'd obviously have a completely different moveset, but I can see there being worries about how to prevent design and visual overlap between two characters that use entirely lightning-based attacks.

Tl;dr: Decidueye has been previously chosen to be promoted over it's competition in fighting games, and I see very few scenarios in which that situation doesn't repeat itself, both due to it's own strengths as an option as well as it's competitors all falling off for one reason or another. Tapu Koko is an underrated threat that could upstage it, but I don't see that as very likely. None of the others come as close, I'd say.

Want: 85% - Decidueye's not my most wanted character, nor is it even my most wanted Pokemon (that's Deoxys but that'll never happen) but it's certainly up there. It was my choice for both SM and USUM, has moveset potential coming out the wazoo, and as an added bonus, would complete the starter type trio that's annoyingly missing it's grass rep right now. Not a point in it's favor chance-wise, but for want it gives it a bit more oomph.

Predictions:

Shulk: 84.57% - No way this guy leaves. He's going to take up the role as the Xenoblade franchise's Marth. He may not continue to be relevant with new protags rotating out all the time, he may not be the most popular, but he's the one that started it all. Expecting a few "Rex/Elma replaces him" types though tomorrow, otherwise this'd be even higher.

Nominations:

Dark Matter Blade x 5

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Decidueye

Chance: 60%

Although many people from Smash make it seem that Decidueye is a lock for Smash 5. He is definitely not the shoo in that people make him out to be. Although Decidueye is a starter Pokémon and has a lot of moveset potential for a grass, ghost, and archer based fighter, outside of Smash, he hasn’t been marketed a lot (with the exception of Pokken) and isn’t really that popular outside of Smash. Not to mention that he has competition with Lycanroc, and Incenroar, both with moveset potential, Lycanroc being marketed a lot more and with Incenroar having major appearances in the latest and both having major appearances in the anime while Decidueye still barely made a single one, I’m rather skeptical of Decidueye.

Decidueye still has a chance. But it’s not as big as people make it out to be. And his a lack of marketing may be a sign that he wasn’t selected for Smash.

Want: 80%

Despite what I said above, I would be happy if he did make it. He has the possibility of being very unique among the roster and he would be someone I’ll play from time to time. I just want people to speculate responsibly. :p

Predictions Shulk: 100%

Why the hell would Shulk leave? Can there only be one Xenoblade Chronicles character? He’s unique too and other likely characters from Xenoblade to join can play very differently from Shulk.

Nominations:
x5 Lycanroc

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Decidueye

Chance: 80%
There is no way in hell a Pokemon rep won't be in this smash game. I don't think it's a far reach to say that he'll be that rep.

I kind of fell off Pokemon after playing Moon.
But a newcomer is a newcomer.

Nomination: Django x5

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Deduce eye

Odds - 40%. This is how I see it. Decidueye and Mimikyu are tied for first place with a 40% chance. The remaining 20% go to everyone else (Lycanroc, Incineroar, Buzzwole, Sceptile, etc)

Want - 80%. Most wanted Pokémon that has a shot (I'm sorry Grovyle, maybe next PMD)

Nominations: Kamex x4, Doesnt-Matter Blade x 1 (May as well push that thing along so I can rant about how much I hate it)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Decide Your Eye

Chance: 90%

I view Decidueye as the most likely PKMN newcomer for this Smash Bros. I mean i've flip-flopped on whether or not I think a Gen 8 PKMN will be added but if said Gen didn't make it in time then I would say Decidueye is the likeliest. Decidueye would complete the Grass/Fire/Water starter trio and would have a niche no one has on the roster.

Want: 70%

I think Decidueye's inclusion would be pretty cool. Decidueye's design is also neat.

Prediction: Shulk

Chance: 98%

Nominations

Masked Link X 3
Concept: Advance Wars CO X 2

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Decidueye
Chance- ABSTAIN
I haven't followed the anime at all, nor have I been keeping up with marketing. I'm confident we'll get a Gen 7 Pokemon, but I'm too uninformed on this one to make a call.
Want- 90%
I don't "need" a Pokemon newcomer, but Decidueye is one of my favorite starter evos of all time. Major swag. I'd be on board!

Shulk Predictions- 95%

Nominations:

Ashley x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Decidueye

I still think we're getting someone from Gen VII, and I still feel Decidueye has the greatest chance of them. Not higher than this because there are other options, though.

Not quite my most wanted 'mon, but a close second and my favorite from Gen VII, which I personally really liked. I think it'd be a great and unique fighter, too. I'm all for it!

Shulk prediction: 94.68%

Nominations: Banjo & Kazooie x10

Jibanyan's already near the top, so I'll quickly use my extra noms to boost my next project...

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Decidueye
Chance: 85%

Shulk Prediction: 91.78%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5 (I'll get this up there someday)

Top Bottom