• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Waaaaaaaaaaaluigi
Chance: 35%

I consider a Mario newcomer pretty close to a lock. Heck, I consider two newcomers pretty likely. Sure, sometimes a Mario character may rep their own series(Wario, Yoshi) but Mario characters sell. They have this ridiculously alluring charm to them, are instantly known so even the casual market has a far bigger knowledge of even the slightly less obvious ones like Waluigi than say; Ridley, K. Rool, Isaac or any other popular Smashboards pick, and Waluigi in himself IS a very popular choice easily being the fan favourite amongst the Mario characters.

On the downside he's been in less mainline games than Daisy, doesn't have his own games to draw on like Paper Mario and Captain Toad, isn't the hot new breakout star of the latest game like Pauline(looking back at it, I was a bit harsh on Pauline's want and chances) and hasn't been mulled over as a Smasher by Sakurai repeatedly like Geno. He's also one of the bigger assist trophies which...is both a plus and a minus in his favour. Little Mac happened, but he is the only one to recieve that treatment thus far.

He also has Daisy to compete with as the face of the sports spinoffs, but frankly since Waluigi was created specifically to be Wario's partner IN a sports spinoff, I kinda think he's more recognised for the role.

If Waluigi were a Wario character(not even Wario, the one person in universe that likes him, is letting Waluigi in his own games) then I'd probably consider Waluigi's chances the highest of the Mario cast with his massive popularity. But hey; Rosalina happened, who whilst popular had far less playable appearances or significance to the overall Mario universe at the time of her getting in.

Going to equal his chances with Paper Mario at least, although I still think Captain Toad trumps him as the star of a new IP between Smash games.

Want: 53%

Once again just like with Daisy, I want Waluigi...I just want Captain Toad that much harder. However, if we get TWO Mario characters as I'm 65% sure we will, Waluigi is probably the next one I'm rooting for. He's wacky, he's fun, I can't deny a Smash game with Mario and Luigi Vs. Wario and Waluigi wouldn't be hugely appealing and heck; more villains is always good.

Not to mention the Mario sports spinoffs make a good chunk of Nintendo's game profits so it'd be nice to see that aspect represented better than a single move for Princess Peach.

The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is whether Waluigi's moveset will match his ridiculousness with cheating and the like, or whether he'll be a fairly straight up sports star in his skillset. I think I'd prefer him launching bombs with a tennis racket than actually launching tennis balls for example.

But overall I'd be okay with Waluigi getting in, maybe even if it is over Toad in a far better way than I was with Rosalina getting in over him. Waluigi feels like he earnt it more.

I'd prefer BOTH Mario newcomers though!

Chibi Robot prediction: 15%

Nominations: Isabelle x 5

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have said it back in my Captain Toad analysis, but I cannot see Waluigi getting in until he gets heavily marketed as Rosalina. As charming and lovable his personality may be, Waluigi needs significant roles in future mainline Mario games or have his own spinoff for me to see him as a real possibility. Captain Toad at least has games being heavily promoted by Nintendo and has been appearing more in mainline Mario games for me to see him as one of the only possible Mario newcomers. He will likely be an Assist Trophy again.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Waiting in line at PAX East, so I should use all this time to write a detailed, thoughtful analysis of Waluigi's chances.

Waluigi
Chance - 33.33%
Waaaaaaaa!
Want - 50%
Waaaa.

Nominations - 5x Lucina

Chibi-Robo Predictions - 33% Chance, 33% Want
Waaaaaa?

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi Chance:
45%
For me he is one of the most likely characters to appear. I am pretty sure we will see at least one new Mario character and the only likely ones imo are Waluigi, Captain Toad, Daisy, Paper Mario (and many want Pauline, but I really doubt that). That he wasn't in a main game may actually benefit him imo. He would be the perfect pick to represent most of the Mario Spin offs/Mario sport games. If he would have his own series, he would likely just get moves linked to that series, but without he can have various moves from all the spin offs he is in. And I actually think he is one of the characters with the most diverse special moves/abilities in spin offs (a few examples for his traits: high jump and skill, swimming in air, creating tornados, creating a purple thorn wall, connection to bob-ombs, very agile, dancing and so on). I could see him having a tennis racket for many standard attacks (considering Mario Tennis was his first game and reason he even exists). Even his assist trophy uses one. And with the upcoming tennis Aces that would be good advertisement. Besides him I can also see Captain Toad making it in, but I don't think Daisy has the best chances. Paper Mario is also possible but less likely imo. We already have 2 Mario's and Luigi, and Paper Mario's best times aren't really right now. Furthermore I think they will take the Smash Ballot from 4 to see which characters the fans want and here Waluigi is likely very high ranked. Still, I can't give more than 45%, after Cloud the roster is very unpredictable. As I said, to me Waluigi is one of the most likely, maybe my top 10 most likely.

Waluigi Want:
95%
I like his design and quirky character and think he could have an awesome weird moveset and funny playstyle.

Chibi Robo Predict:
14,72%

Nominations:
5x Fjorm

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Waluigi
Chance: 25%
Same reasoning and score as Daisy.
Want: 10%
I'd rather have Captain Toad, Daisy, Paper Mario, King Boo, etc

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 4.69%

Nominations
Decloned Dark Pit x5

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Waa. It's such a WAA-nderful day outside. The Pidgits are singing, the Piranha Plants are biting people's limbs off... it's on days like these, loser threads like this one... SHOULD HAVE A WALUIGI TIME!

WAAluigi Chance: 25%
WAA! Waluigi's in the same spot as that loser Daisy it seems! Waluigi hates this! But hey, at least Waluigi clearly stands out unalike that punk, has a bigger support base for this Smash Bros. nonsense, and is more popular overall! Waluigi likes this!

... Yet I still see Paper Mario as the next Mario newcomer if we get one. Still, Waluigi's not in THAT bad of a spot.

WAAluigi WAAnt: 50%
Eh. Listen. I really like Waluigi and all. Easily one of my favorite Mario characters, honestly. But I still have no interest in seeing him in Smash. Sorry.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 5%

Nominations: Dr. Eggman X5

:094:

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
Waaaaaaaaaluigi

Chance: 30%. Relevant Mario character, has a fun personality and moveset potential. Sakurai does seem to be aware of the fanbase, if nothing else.

Want: 40%. He'd be pretty fun! I like what that one Brawl moveset did with him (the one used in Minus and Legacy XP).

Predictions

Chibi-Robo: 7%. Ehhhhhhhh, it's Chibi-Robo honestly.

Nominations: Blue Bowser x5

What, were you expecting a Blue Bowser-related picture?

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
WALUIGI

Chance- 55%
VERY popular, and Sakurai knows that, but Sakurai also knows that Sakurai prefers Waluigi as an AT. Sure, he may be a spin off character, but in the realm of Mario, who else from the main series is there to add? Regular Toad? I see Captain Toad as more likely, and Captain is also popularized from his spin off. Geno? Super Mario RPG is a spin off. Daisy? Same boat as Waluigi. Thwomp? Salurai isn't enlightened yet. Paper Mario? You get the point.

Want- 95%

WAAAAAAAHT are you waiting for, Sakurai?

Smash Bros needs more characters with personality. Waluigi would be up there with the expressive likes of King Dedede. Also, he's a villain, and his move set could be amazing. Props to Mario64KingDS for making the high quality Waluigi PM mod, and Brawl in the Family for allowing Waluigi to ascend to meme levels corporate PR accounts dream they could attain.

Chibi Robo (poor guy)- 8.21%

Doomguy X 4
Thwomp X 1

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Noms update as of the last post:

Anna (Fire Emblem) x 205
Veteran: Shulk x 195
Dr. Eggman x 192
Phoenix Wright x 187
Skull Kid x186
Doomguy x 182
Marx (Kirby) x 180

Veteran: Lucina x 175
Jibanyan x173
Concept: No Cuts x 156
Bomberman x 149
Micaiah x 142
Geno x 139
Lana (Hyrule Warriors) x138
Dark Matter Blade (Kirby) x135
Veteran: Lucas x 128
Concept: veteran character artworks recycled from Smash 3DS/Wii U x128
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo) x125
Banjo & Kazooie x 121
Blue Bowser x120
Sora x 118
Sans (Undertale) x115
Tethu (Ever Oasis) x115
Veteran: Mewtwo x115
Concept: New story mode x115
Henry Fleming (Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.) x114
Hades x112
Elma x108
Agumon x105
Ashley (WarioWare) x97
Tsubasa Oribe (Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE) x95
Qbby (BoxBoy!) x95
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x92
Funky Kong x92
Impa x 91
Black Shadow x89
Travis Touchdown x 87
Mike Jones (StarTropics) x83
Kamek x79
Concept: Decloned Dark Pit x79
Urban Champion x78
Excitebiker x76
Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x75
Music: Final Destination (Ver. 2) x75
2B (Nier: Automata) x 73
Ganon (not Ganondorf) x69
Labo Related Character x 68
Lycanroc x65
Isabelle x60
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x56
Ryu Hayabusa x55
Octoling (Splatoon) x50
Veteram: Roy x48
Azura (Fire Emblem) x 48
Neku Sakuraba (The World Ends with You) x 48
Concept: Skyrim representation x45
Masked Link x43
Concept: Decloned Ganondorf x43
Lloyd Irving (Tales) x42
Dark Samus x 40
Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x40
Klonoa x40
Parabo and Satebo x36
Concept: Mother Newcomer x35
Simon Belmont x35
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x35
Mipha x34
Veteran: Greninja x31
Lip (Panel de Pon) x30
Fawful x26
Hector (Fire Emblem) x 26
Medusa x 26
Balloon Fighter x26
Cranky Kong x26
Fjorm (Fire Emblem) x26
Returning game mode: Smash Run x25
Takumi (Fire Emblem) x25
Susie (Kirby) x25
Sophitia (Soulcalibur) x25
Linkle x25
Spyro x24
Concept: Indie Character x 22
Concept: Style Savvy Character x 22
Doshin the Giant x22
Scizor x 21
Veteran: Palutena x 21
Thwomp (Mario Bros.) x21
Arcade Bunny x 20
Concept: Historical Nintendo character (Similar to Game and Watch or R.O.B.) x20
Prince Fluff (Kirby) x20
Dragonite x19
Concept: Wars Character x19
Poipole (Pokemon) x17
Veteran: Bayonetta x17
Katrielle Layton x17
Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101) x16
Zeraora (Pokemon) x16
Tiki (Fire Emblem) x15
Veteran: Robin x 14
9-Volt (WarioWare) x14
Snorlax x14
Nia and Dromarch (Xenoblade) x14
Petey Piranha x13
Concept: Custom Moves Return x12
Mallo (Pushmo) x 12
Concept: Sonic Mania Stage x12
Concept: Capcom Character x12
Starfy x12
Tingle x11
Sylux (Metroid) x11
Veteran: Cloud x11
Veronica (Fire Emblem) x11
Toad x11
Viridi x10
Callie and Marie (Splatoon) x10
Tetra x10
Toon Zelda x9
Concept: F-Zero Newcomer x9
Mimikyu x 9
Veteran: Pac-Man x9
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) x9
Concept: Canon Bowser/DK/Diddy voice clips x8
Ray (Custom Robo) x7
Veteran: Sonic x 7
Incineroar x7
Tails x 7
Gooey (Kirby) x7
Zangoose (Pokemon) x6
Black Mage (Final Fantasy) x6
Dragonborn x6
Sable Prince x6
Mach Rider x6
Concept: Decloned Lucina x5
Galacta Knight (Kirby) x5
Morag and Brighid (Xenoblade) x5
Master Chief x 5
Steve (Minecraft) x5
Ninten (Mother) x 5
Concept: Mega Man 11 stage x5
Concept: Return of transformation characters x5
Slippy Toad x5
Concept - Melee/Brawl style Classic mode x5
Ayane x5
Alm (Fire Emblem) x 5
Concept: Metroid: Samus Returns Stage x5
Asuka x5
Abraham Lincoln (Codename STEAM) x5
Masked Man (Mother 3) x5
Ayumi Tachibana x5
Itsuki Aoi x5
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Protagonist x5
Monita (NintendoLand) x5
Cross/Rook/Avatar (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x5
Toon Link x5
Yooka & Laylee x5
Samurai Goroh x5
Caeda x5
Concept: Charizard Remerged with Pokemon Trainer+complete movesets x5
Django (Boktai) x5
King Hippo x5
Glass Joe x5
Master Hand x5
Hyness (Kirby Star Allies) x4
Rick the Hamster x4
Shadow the Hedgehog x4
Ghirahim x4
Mii Fighters x 4
KOS-MOS x4
Stage: New Donk City x4
Lara Croft x4
King Boo x4
Geese Howard (Fatal Fury/ King of Fighters) x3
Mario RPG representation (Including Paper Mario and M&L) x3
Poochy (Yoshi series) x3
Corrin x 3
Porky Minch x3
Wii Fit Trainer x3
Specter Knight x3
Solaire (Dark Souls) x3
Tom Nook x3
Vaati x2
Nightmare (SoulCalibur) x2
Joker (Persona 5) x2
Concept: The Sims character x2
Toadette x2
Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei) x2
Endou Mamoru x2
Concept: Snipperclips representation x2
Tora and Poppi x2
Jeanne (Bayonetta) x2
Garon x1
Rosalina & Luma x1
Bowser Jr. x1
Knuckles the Echidna x1
Dark Pit x1
New Mii Fighter types (concept) x 1
Harry (Teleroboxer) x 1
Sheik x1
Undertale Representation x1
Revali x1
Daruk x1
Urbosa x1
Jack (Harvest Moon) x1
Sol Badguy x1
Kyo Kusanagi x1
Leo (FE Fates) x1
Ryoma (FE Fates) x1
Falco x1
Vivian (Paper Mario) x1
Mallow (SMRPG) x1
Concept: Playable Master/Crazy Hand x1
Blastoise x1
Alph x1
Marshal (Rhythm Heaven) x1
Tapu Koko x1
Bubbles (Clu Clu Land) x1
Hyper Light Drifter x1
Dark Falz x1
Silvally x1
Hat Kid (A Hat in Time) x1
Sukapon x1
Slime (Dragon Quest) x1
Gengar x1
Captain Syrup x1
Concept: Tetris Stage or Assist Trophy x1
Concept: Ms.Pac Man alt costume for Pac Man x1
Concept: Entire roster revealed at E3 x1

ForwardArrow

Smash Ace
Waluigi
Chances: 45%
Honestly, despite Sakurai probably not being his biggest fan, I'm not really seeing a lot of other Mario reps to add, aside from Captain Toad and Paper Mario. While those do exist, I've expressed my issues with adding Paper Mario and Captain Toad is a bit lacking in stuff for a moveset too, so I kind of see this as a pretty legitimate shot for Waluigi to get in, as they do really like to promote Mario and its going to be a challenge to otherwise add 2 Mario reps.

Want: 65%
A number of people I'm friends with would be very excited for Waluigi, but I've never really played much of any Mario sport or party games and they're not really my thing. Waluigi's amusing enough at least, even if he's not a personal favorite of mine I'm fine with what he's going for as a character... but I really wonder how much they could do with his set. I've seen a decent one before, don't get me wrong, but its not an approach Sakurai is likely to take and other than that it strikes me as likely to be a random mess of sports equpiment. Oh well, still a good choice.

Nominations:

Dark Samus x 3
Bluw Bowser x 2

Graizen

Smash Champion
Waluigi
Chances:
90%
Want: 100%

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!
The Mario Character we need.

Nomination: Agumon x5

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi:

Chance: 30%
I feel like Waluigi is a strange character, even when it comes to his odds of becoming playable in smash 5. I'd say they're fairly low, but still possible, considering him being an assist trophy twice now, (which could really go both ways), however, there have been so many other mario characters that have been added since his debut as an AT, such as Rosalina and Bowser Jr., that it really makes you wonder if he is/will ever be considered for playable, if even Rosalina can surpass him as a fighter.

Want: 5%
I just can't see him doing anything interesting. sure, he could swing some tennis rackets and golf clubs around, but the Mario series is so much more than the player 4 character that can swing various sporting utensils around. I'd much rather have a character like Fawful or even Paper Mario be playable, who both bring much more to the table.

Nominations:
Marx x 5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Since we're rating the WAAAAA, it makes sense to have this theme playing for today.

Waluigi

Waluigi is a very popular Mario character who has become one of the most iconic spinoff characters from those games. However, Sakurai prefers keeping Waluigi as an Assist Trophy, evident that Waluigi has been that way for two Smash games. He is aware about Waluigi's popularity. Perhaps Smash 5 will finally be kind to him, but his status as a spin-off character gives me the impression he still has to overcome the likes of Mario characters that appeared in main series games like Captain Toad.

Want: 60%

Waluigi is a pretty cool character with all the memes he has created, and admittedly, I'd like to see him fight alongside Wario to complete the duo. However, Waluigi isn't someone I value that much in seeing in the roster. I am more interested in seeing him show up in a major Wario game as some kind of sidekick to Wario first before he gets his Smash spotlight.

------

Predictions

Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo): 11.23%

The 3DS game was his last chance in saving his franchise... and we all know how that turned out.

------

Nominations

Greninja (Pokemon): x5

Megaban

Smash Cadet
WALUIGI
Chance -23%

Let's be honest, Sakurai doesn't seem to think he's worth the slot, and he might have a point. Waluigi has not a single main series influence and is 100% spin-off character, almost like Daisy. Tho he IS assist Trophy so that rises his chances + his overall popularity not making it TOO Farfetch'd.

Want -55%
He'd be cool, but I'd prefer someone like Paper Mario instead.

Nomination: Lana x5

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Waluigi

A very popular character surrounded with love nya and demand nya. Tragically, being a spin off character could however continue to bind him in his AT prison nya.

True beauty is a VERY rare thing to come nyacross these days mew. How can nyu look at Waluigi and possibly think "nyo way" nya!? Where's nyur mind at nya!?! Puppies!? And what the hell are nyu doing Nintendo nya!? Do what's fluffing right and FREE HIM NINTENDO NYA!!!

Nyominations nyaaa

Concept: No Cuts x5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Waluigi
Chance: 40% -
I think of all the Mario cast he's the most likely due to his iconic status as a secondary character and popularity. That said, I don't feel confident we will get any more Mario characters.
Want: 90% - Yes, please. He's perfect for Smash.

Prediction: Chibi-Robo
Chance: 24.51%
Want: 48.91%

Nominations:

Sora x5

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Waluigi

Chance: 20%

I honestly think people are overestimating him. He seems established as an AT already, and has no real relevancy to mainstream Mario in the way that Rosalina or Jr. were last game. However, if Sakurai wants to do a Mario character to represent all the spin-offs, he is the one to go for. But I'm not sure. I think Captain Toad would have him beat in terms of relevancy and importance to the Mario series.

Want: 50%
My roommate and I jokingly play Wario and Waluigi together in Mario Kart for the sheer hilarity of it. So I'd love Waluigi just for the memes. But, I would rather have captain toad to be honest.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 15.75%
I think Chibi-Robo has some potential, but I'm going to take those 0% people into consideration (all y'all are sleeping on Midna I tell you).

Nominations:
Sora x5

chemo

Smash Apprentice
Waluigi

Chance: 40%

He's popular, relevant and we're starting to run low on potential Mario fighters for Smash, so I think the chances aren't low at all, though I'm still not certain on his likeliness.

Want: 80%

There are still plenty of the aforementioned Mario characters I wouldn't mind seeing in place of Waluigi, but at the same time, I would love to see the purple, fabulous beast in Smash

Prediction:

Chibi-Robo: 13.22%

Nomination:

Doomguy x5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
WALUIGI TIME

I think he’s one of the two main contenders for Mario picks this time around.

Popularity? He’s got it, especially among the casual Nintendo fanbase. The purple prankster has appeared in almost every Sports and Party spin-off in the Mario library, and has such a unique and outlandish personality that makes the character is so easily recognizable, even among the most casual of gamers. Honestly, I would venture to say that, in terms of pure fan request, Waluigi is the most likely candidate for new Mario rep, simply because of how well-known he is, and how popular the character is on social media and the Internet in general.

Moveset potential? Don’t even pretend Waluigi doesn’t have plenty. Like I said, the guy’s appeared in almost every (non-RPG) Mario spinoff you can think of, and no other character could represent that amazing variety of sports and activities like Waluigi. From kart-racing, to tennis, to hardcore partying, Waluigi has done it all, and he could bring all of that into the Smash battle.

Now, here’s the only thing holding him back: He’s a spin-off character, with no mainstream Mario appearances to speak of. He hasn’t even showed up in either of his partner-in-crime’s own series (which I feel is a great injustice, but w/e). On the flip side, his main competitor in this fight,
Captain Toad, has already appeared in 4 mainline Mario titles, as well as claiming his very own spin-off on the Wii U. With this in mind, Waluigi has a tough time claiming the title of “Nintendo icon”, even though he is so popular.

If Sakurai wants to add a character based on the Mario spin-offs though? Or just wants to focus on fan request?Waluigi’s got it on lock.

I don’t give 100s very often, but Waluigi is absolutely one of my most wanted picks. He’s got a ton of personality, he’s hilariously unique and fun in the Mario Sports titles, and he would be a perfect inclusion to Smash. If Sakurai neglects him again, I will be behond disappointed.

Predictions-
Chibi-Robo: 28.8%

Noms:
Henry Fleming x5

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Waluigi

Want: 90%

He's a pretty popular character in spite of being only in spin offs. That said though he is an enjoyable character overall.

Prediction

Chibi-Robo: 21.76%

Nominations

Lucasx3
Stage: New Donk Cityx2

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Waluigi Chance: 25%
Lots of popularity, just as much competition. Waluigi is certainly not the most respected, beloved, or requested potential newcomer, but he is arguably the most well-known and recognizable first party character not in after Toad, and certainly the most viral/memetic. His biggest hurdle is probably his treatment by Sakurai, who treats him like he is - a forgotten meme. On the other hand, it is because Sakurai enjoys messing around with him in such good fun/humor that he is such a strong candidate for promotion.

Want: 75%

predict:
Chibi-Robo 18%

noms:
Double Day: Sheriff / Diskun x5

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Waluigi

Chance: 50%
IDK if you count him as a Mario rep I would say Paper Mario or Captain Toad would be better picks and if you count him as a Wario rep them I do not know what to expect since I kind kind of see it going either way.

Want: 50%
I used to play as him a bunch in Mario Kart & Party and it would be cool to see him in yet there are others who I would much prefer.

Nomination: Linkle X5

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Waluigi

Chances: 31%

I feel like Paper Mario and Captain Toad have a higher chance than him. Moveset potential is something Sakurai sees as very important and I think those two offer a lot more interesting/diverse abilities. Sakurai even put more prioritiy in Rosalina than Bowser Jr., despite Jr. being far more prominent and requested of a character, just because of she had a more interesting play style. You could make a unique moveset for Waluigi, but I feel it wouldn't be anything spectacular. Not to mention PM and CT have their own games, while Waluigi has always been subjected to being just one of many playable side characters in spinoff titles. The biggest thing Waluigi has in his favor is his popularity, he is an extremely popular choice, but there has also been a lot of demand for a playable Toad and Paper Mario, so I feel like he's going to miss the boat again.

"Just because you try hard doesn't mean you'll make it into battle."

-Masahiro Sakurai

Want: 45%

I love Waluigi. I love how ridiculous of a character he is, and he's usually my go to when playing Mario spinoffs, and I think he could be a fun addition. That being said I won't be upset if he doesn't make the cut for Smash.

Nominations: Geno x5

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

WAAAAAAAAAAluigi Chance: 40%

I keep hearing that Sakurai doesn't care for him too much. If that's true, then that's a problem. However, some minor bias is certainly far less of a problem compared to some other, greater issues other characters have that could keep them out. Plus, his opinion could change, as it did for some other characters who eventually did get in Smash, though there's not much reason I can think of why it would. Perhaps the biggest thing going for him is his popularity, which has seen quite the surge in the past several years, likely owing to his wacky personality and heck, I'd even say the Brawl in the Family comics had a decent influence on this as well. If any spin-off character were to get in Smash, it'd be him or Daisy, and I think Waluigi's gained more dedicated fans than Daisy has.

His moveset might be a bit of a problem, too, though for starters, he's got a wide variety of items and tools from the various spin-off games he's appeared in to choose from, much like Daisy would. Furthermore, it's not exactly unheard of for some characters to receive entirely made-up moves created just for Smash. :falconmelee:

Still, he has appeared exclusively in spin-off games, and the one thing I feel is best in his favor is his popularity, which is something a lot of characters have. Will it be enough? Will Sakurai see more in the character and have a change of heart? Time will tell. For now, I think that while his odds aren't awful, they're a little more against him than not.

WA
AAAAnt: 80%

Heck yeah. The character's a weirdo, but a likeable one. Maybe I wouldn't want this as much as I do now if I had never read BitF, but I really do think a combination of spin-off oriented items and some wacky powers that suited his personality could blend nicely for a very crazy and fun moveset for the character. I can't say I wouldn't have fun playing as Waluigi in a Smash game. I simply can't.

Nominations: Tetra x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Waluigi

I feel like he's just not taken seriously by Sakurai. He appears on a bunch of sports/party games, but so do the Mario characters already in Smash (though Rosalina is a recent addition). And, those Mario characters have roles in the main games. Waluigi has yet to make his main series debut. He doesn't even appear in WarioWare despite being paired with Wario in the spinoffs.

Want: 10%
Low priority for me.

Nominations
Callie and Marie x5

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

Robbie Rotten

Chance: 35%
I feel like Waluigi's chances are the highest they've been. He's become much more relevant in the public eye over the years, for better or for worse. Of all the assist trophies, I'd say he has the highest practical chance of making it to the roster, especially considering Mario is almost definitely going to get a newcomer considering... Well, it's Mario. Sakurai has had plenty of time to let ideas for Waluigi stew, and he absolutely has the potential with his peculiar movement, attitude, representation for the spin-offs and brining something new to the table. But as has been said, he is still a spin-off character, so that and other factors certainly don't make him a guarantee.

Want: 95%

Fun Fact. Mario Tennis was my first ever video game. So I've known Waluigi as long as I've known Mario.

So heck yeah, get him in here. I think Waluigi would seriously breathe life into the admittedly somewhat basic/simplistic movesets most of the Mario characters have. I don't know if I can see myself ever maining him, and if we were able to choose ANY Mario character I'd pick Geno in a heartbeat, but I know he'd be fun as hell and would absolutley love to see him in the roster. And I'd still play him a lot.

Nominate: Geno x5

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Chance: 12%

I'm legitimately surprised at all the low chance scores; I thought a bunch of fans considered him likely. Not that I don't agree; Waluigi is a spin-off character. Daisy is more likely (although she wasn't an assist trophy).

Want: 84%

While Smash speculation has made me see him in a different light, he's still one of my most supported characters.

Nominations: Urban Champion x5

andimidna

Smash Master
A bad meme that’s been taken too far:

I always thought he was the inferior meme to Daisy tbh, but he’s more popular for some weird bandwagon-y reason, so he’s more likely than her, despite her being around for like 30 years. I’m personally pulling for Capt Toad and maybe even Pauline, but they each definitely sport their own niche, so it isn’t as easy to describe them as directly opposed to each other like it is for Waluigi vs Daisy. If he got high on the ballot, it could happen. Popularity would obviously be what gets him in, if he does.

Chance: 15%

They don’t necessarily have to add a Mario character, since the Mario cast was rounded out well in Smash 4, where we got the 2 characters that felt like the necessary additions in my eyes. The only one I’m remotely “expecting” now is Toad/ Cpt Toad. I do see a chance at them adding 2 again, or even skipping Cpt Toad I guess (smh don’t), and in that case, I’d say it’s Waluigi, Pauline, Geno (even though I said this was impossible for Smash 4 lol), Paper Mario, or Daisy. And I wouldn’t call it a lock for any of the 5.
They could also potentially do something with Cappy? I guess King Boo and E Gadd are options too, that I’ll mention just for inclusiveness tbh.
I certainly think he is a contender, but so are the others.

Want: 0%
Sorry, but this is probably one of my least wanted concepts and my least favorite of those 5 listed. I wish he could just be an alt of someone so he wouldn’t take much dev time, but he doesn’t make sense at one. I just think it’d look awkward. The organization of the Mario cast last time already bothered me lmao. Definitely one of my least fave characters

Chibi Robo prediction: 18%
I imagine this being close to Isaac’s score

x4 Azura
x1 Sylux

Bionichute

Smash Champion
WAA

Chance: 25%
Its possible yeah. I mean, after 4 its less likely but I will still hold up hope of him being playable. He's still popular and I think Nintendo knows it, but doesn't know what to do with him.

Want: 110%
I really wanna Waluigi in the Smashed Brothers. He's-a my favorite Mario character and deserves better.

Noms: Blue Bowser x10

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I’m pretty new to this so hopefully I’m not doing this wrong.

WAAAH!!

I don’t think he has a high chance as people make him out to be, seeing how Waluigi has competition with characters like Captain Toad and even Geno, I doubt Sakurai sees him as a character to be added into Smash and will remain as an AT.

Want: 15%

I guess Waluigi could be a quirky and interesting character but I would rather see someone else than him in my opinion, and he is honestly such a meh option.

Chibi-Robo Prediction: 50%

A lot of people don’t realize that there isn’t a lot of competition for first party Nintendo franchise characters so Chibi Robo still has a chance of getting with an interesting move set, but his series seems to be heading into a hiatus so it’s up in the air.

Nominations:
Lycanroc x3
Isaac (Golden Sun): x2

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Waluigi

I can see him getting in, but with a slim chance. His being mainly a Mario spinoff character may not do good for his chances.

Want: 80%

He’s not my most wanted character, but hey, he seems good enough for me to give him a chance.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Waluigi
Chance: 30% - I can definitely see it happening, but there’s just so much competition for a Mario rep. It doesn’t help his chances that Nintendo as a whole doesn’t seem to treat him seriously as a character and usually just uses him to fill up space in big Mario spinoff rosters.
Want: 0% - No thank you.

Chibi-Robo prediction: 19%

Nominations: New Story Mode x5

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Chances: 40%

Waluigi has some decent chances, although I will say I am high rolling the range around which I would say he sits (30%-40%). Waluigi is one of the two main chances for if Nintendo wants to rep the absurd number of spinoffs, alongside Daisy. Daisy has the bonus of being a potential clone, while Waluigi has a bit more moveset potential, an Assist Trophy and some more meme popularity. He offers the potential of a somewhat more joke-ish or comedic moveset, around which there is usually at least one a game (64: Jigglypuff is somewhat of a joke character, Melee: Pichu is a joke character, Brawl: Wario for that sick fart humor, Smash 4: Duck Hunt Dog). That works for him. Some people have said Sakurai seems to have bias against him, but what I've seen seems to be more just Sakurai understanding his humor.

I think the internet meme angle is a bit overrated. That stuff probably is not as well known in Japan and therefor not used in consideration. Waluigi lacks any mainline game appearances, while Daisy has at least one and Captain Toad is having a game pushed plus appearing in Odyssey and more while Paper Mario has his own game series, which does hurt him. It wouldn't surprise me to have Sakurai go outside of the box, though, especially with how many of the more important Mario characters we have.

Overall, a below average chance but still fairly solid. Captain Toad feels like the safe bet for a Mario newcomer at this moment, though.

Waluigi could have a fun set. There's his sports material, but he could be kept seperate from Daisy and more unique by his use of bombs, and even use his sports material for that by hitting around the bombs with his tennis racket, baseball bat and so on. Being a comedy character gives him some more room for moveset material to be made, although he is somewhat tricky to make. Mario Party 3 was a really fun game and I always remembered him from that, although I also am not as deep into the WAAAAAAAluigi memes as some others. He'd be around as cool as Isaac or Shantae, although they might be more hype simply due to being a lot less likely.

Prediction

Chibi-Robo: 9.9%

Nomination

2B x5

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi
Chance- 25%
From what I can tell, he seems to have a lot of popularity, especially among casuals. He is on Sakurai's radar at least, though it isn't clear how seriously he takes Waluigi. I'm leaning no just given the fact that he has no main game appearances and has strong competition, but it's possible.
Want- 90%
He's hilarious. I want Captain Toad more, but Waluigi is definitely the next best option for me. I'd be fine with getting both- Captain Toad for relevance/significance and Waluigi for entertainment/popularity. After that, the Mario representation will feel pretty complete to me. The other options will all be getting lower Want scores.

Chibi-Robo Predictions- 12%

Nominations:

Ashley x5

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
WALUIGI

Chances: 25%

Unfortunate that Waluigi hadn't gotten in Smash by 3DS / Wii U, as I think these were his best opportunities to make it on the roster in a kind of drought for Mario characters. Captain Toad hadn't gotten quite that big yet, Paper Mario was on a bit of a losing streak, and Pauline was still very obsolete. Now, however, the Mario franchise has sprung forth plenty of new candidates that have stolen a huge chunk of Waluigi's spotlight. Of course, people get around this by lumping him in as a Wario character, and, if he randomly shows up in WarioWare Gold, this might be valid. We all should know that he's not breaking into any new roles any time soon, though, and so I think this is the Smash Bros. where Waluigi is most overshadowed by other choices since Melee.

Want: 75%

While I do admittedly want Paper Mario in more than Waluigi, and also feel that Toad as a playable character is long overdue, I would love to see Waluigi in Smash Bros. He would get to do the goofy things the other Mario characters can't because of their mainstream-mandated moveset material, really pulling all out from Mario Party (which has been so poorly represented at all in Smash), Mario Kart, Mario Sports, etc. He's been shown to have very... unique abilities across a lot of these party games, and also I just need another game to main him. All memes aside, his aesthetic and personality are memorable on their own, and it would be great to have all four of the cap-wearing characters in the game. Also, who can ignore his suave new 'do?

Nominations
Blue Bowser x 5

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Keep it short today

Waah!

Chance: 45%

Noms
Chibi-Robo-12.34%

Dark Samus x5

Chromfirmed

Smash Journeyman
Waluigi

Chance: 45%
He has some chances for being a assist trophy...

Want: 5%
Meh. Waluigi is a funny and somewhat heavy meme...

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The legendary NEEDS A BLOODY GAME Waluigi time!

Yes, it's Waluigi;

Chance: 55%

We all know the curse of the WHAA, and how Masahiro Waluigi treats Sakur-- ...
Let me start over!!!

We all know how Masahiro Sakurai have treated our beloved Waluigi in the past. Earning a spot as a beloved... I mean, as an unnecessary Assist Trophy, and what I mean by that is, that Waluigi deserves more. Does he have his own game? No... Has he ever been in a canon Mario game? No... Still, why does he deserve to be a playable?

Glad you asked;

You see, Waluigi first came into play when Mario and the gang decided to play a game of Tennis, and Nintendo thought that Wario needed a partner, therefore they created simply "Evil Luigi" to compliment Wario, and we all know what happened to Wario... Land, WarioWare, anyone? ... but what happened to Waluigi?

Waluigi became and icon in the Mario universe, almost in the same boat as Daisy, but unlike Daisy who got featured in a canon Mario game, Waluigi did not, therefore, Waluigi is only one to be true to the Mario Spin-Off character title. Your out of the race here Daisy, don't like it? Too bad, Waluigi time!

For yes, it is Waluigi's time to shine, being the legendary partner to Wario, like Luigi is to Mario, and what does 3 out of 4 have in common? They are playable. It's a shame to see that Waluigi has twice had the pleasent surprise of being an Assist Trophy, but luckily for the Wha Wha fans, he is true to the roots and uses a tennis racket, which is a homage to his introduction into the Mario Universe. This way, we know Sakurai pay attention, and if there is a character that would perfectly represent the spin-off side of the Mario Universe there would be no one more suited for the role than Waluigi.

Also, when speaking of Tennis, did you know that there were a Mario Ultra Tennis on the Wii U ? With a direct sequal soon coming out known as Mario ACES? Yes, Tennis, and trivia question guys! If you paid attention earlier, who had their debut in the first Mario Tennis game back on the Nintendo 64? ... You heard it, Waluigi.

Will this be the time for Waluigi to finally get the spotlight he deserves?
Maybe. It's all up to one man who collect not just Pokémun, but also burning emblems for his collection!

Whaa'nt: 95%

HELL WHAA I want him inn! If the last part did not clue you inn, I believe Waluigi really deserves a chance at becoming playable. He was my all time main in the Mario Party and Mario Kart series alongside Toadette. I do think it's time for us to finally get the WHAA we deserve! Bring it Sakurai.

Nom;
Doshin the Giant x 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom