• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Medusa

Chance: 30%
Villains are a big trend this time around and I have a feeling Sakurai will include her since he made Uprising. No actual evidence to back it up though.

Want: 40%
Medusa is technically one of the older Nintendo villains and I think she could work as a fighter. That being said, I've never played a Kid Icarus game before so I can't exactly say I'm praying she gets in.

-----

Tapu Koko

Chance: 2%
Don't see it happening since it has a lot of Gen VII competition. At this point I'm not even sure we'll be getting a Pokemon rep.

Want: 0%
Doesn't interest me and there are other Pokemon I'd prefer over it.

-----

Monster Hunter stage chance prediction: 32.51%

Nominations: Terry Bogard x10

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Medusa
Chance 10%
While I think it's possible to be an Echo, I don't think it's likely. I just see many other characters as a better match. Plus I don't think she even has feet or legs (at least none that's modeled on the 3DS). Add in the lack of shield and halo, and a completely different staff, she's a less than perfect echo.
Want : 40%
There are a fare few echoes I'd want First, but the more the merrier so if we're getting a lot, I'd be OK with one being her.

Now for the one I'm more curious about

Tapu Koko
Chance 60%
If we're getting a new Pokemon, this is the one I think we'll get and I think many people are really sleeping on it. It was very prominent prior to the release of Sun and Moon and remained prominent throughout. Playing a very notable role in the games, essentially being where the story both begins and ends, heck you meet this Pokemon before you meet your own starter. It gives you your Z-Ring and shows up or is mentioned in a fare few cut scenes in between.

And it's role in the anime is similar, taking a strong interest Ash, and being Ash's driving force to get stronger so he can challenge Tapu Koko and win! It was even the one who gave Ash his Z-Ring and Electrium Z. Heck, it even led Ash to Nebby. And then helped Nebby evolve with the other Island Guardians. Even the most recent opening, the first words are literally "Tapu Koko" add on top of this a load of TCG cards and it's one of the most prominent Pokemon this generation. In my opinion it's only competition is Lycanroc and Tapu Koko has the advantage of being prominent from the very beginning and not having to wait for the second set of games ready for a definitive form.

Want: 70%
It's no doubt a cool Pokemon to me, and I would definitely prefer it over Lycanroc and especially Incineroar, but Decidueye I still like, but I've been fairly conflicted on Decidueye lately as I feel we shouldn't get another starter, especially with Pokemon Trainer back. To me, Tapu Koko is simply the smartest choice, and that appeals to me.

And as a Pokemon newcomer, it would have a very unique body type that I think would be interesting in Smash, way more than "basically a human" Incineroar.

Prediction Monster Hunter Stage 12%

Nominate No more stages xMax

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Ninten x273
Django x265
[Rerate] Phoenix Wright x255
Terry Bogard x247
Concept: Hanafuda Character x242
Reinhardt Gets a Trophy x240
Rowlet x240

Over 200

Thwomp x226
Linkle x225
Concept: Disconfirmed Characters as DLC x215
Ray x213

200 - 151

Balloon Fighter x190
DeMille x188
Concept: Fire Emblem Spear User x183
Papyrus x180
Gardevoir x165
Louie x160
Jin Kazama x160
Concept: All-Star Versus x158
Tsubasa Oribe x155
Snip & Clip (Snipperclips) x155
Fire Emblem Three Houses Protagonist x155
Concept: More than five unique newcomers (excl. Ridley/Daisy/Inkling) x155

150 - 101

Concept: Octopath Traveller Character x150
Nathan Drake x140
Stage: Poke Floats x130
Barbara x122
2B x121
No More Stages x120
Rick/Coo/Kine x119
Item: Beast Ball x118
Klonoa x117
Pokemon Trainer (Gen 2) x114
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) x110
Concept: Pikmin Newcomer x110
Raiden x105
Susie x104
Daroach x102
Tora & Poppi x102

100 - 51

Amaterasu x100
Concept: Metroidvania-like Adventure Mode x98
Concept: Ken Masters alt Costume for Ryu x96
Viewtiful Joe x95
Concept: Punch Out Newcomer x95
Gooey x94
Project Zero/Fatal Frame Protagonist x92
Edelgard x90
Fjorm x90
Concept: Only 4-6 newcomers for base roster x85
Zeraora (Pokemon) x84
Dovahkiin x80
Veronica x73
Yu Narakumi x71
Item: Breidablik x65
Toon Zelda x64
Endou Mamoru x62
9-Volt x62
Concept: Historical Character x60
Frank West x60
Slime x58
Chorus Kids x56
Concept: Shin Megami Tensei Character x55
Concept: Wars Characters x53

50 - 25

Takumi (Fire Emblem) x50
Guzma (Pokémon) x50
Reimu Hakurei x50
[Rerate] Spyro x45
Rhythm Girl x40
Black Knight as a boss character x40
Stage: Ultra Space x35
Assist Trophy: Chun-Li x35
Earthworm Jim x35
Hilda (The Legend of Zelda) x35
Dixie Kong & Kiddy Kong x25
Blacephalon (Pokemon) x25

Under 25

Adeleine x24
Master Chief x20
Concept: Break the Targets & Board the Platforms stage builder x20
[Rerate] Concept: Zelda newcomer x20
Sans as a boss character x20
Silvally x20
Sub-Zero x17
Concept: Modern Kirby Stage (Post Kirby Air Ride) x15
Concept: Custom Moves return x15
Concept: Custom Alternate Colors x15
Alexandra Roivas x15
Donbe and Hikari (Shin Onigashima) x14
Ryuhi (Flying Dragon) x10
Metal Sonic x10
Dr. Lobe (Big Brain Academy) x10
Cross (Xenoblade Chronicles X) x10
Break the Targets x10
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x10
Concept: Dragon Quest content x10
Concept: Unique newcomer with low support (less than 20 supporters on Smashboards) x10
Volleyball Girl (NES Volleyball) x8
Stage: Gyromite Stage x5
Nia (Hyrule Warriors) x5
Concept: Xenoblade newcomer x5
Concept: Valve Newcomer x5
Concept: SR388 Stage x5
Concept: Playable Indie Character x5
Blaze the Cat x5
Alm x5
[Rerate] Octolings x5
[Rerate] Gengar x5
Yandere Chan (Yandere Simulator) x5
Concept: Team Rocket as a Pokémon Trainer Echo x5
King Hippo x4
[Rerate] Ayumi Tachibana x4
Diskun x1

As predicted, Terry Bogard has crashed into the top 7, kicking off Thwomp and surpassing Hanafuda character, Rowlet and Reinhardt’s trophy, nabbing fourth place. Hanafuda character also hops over Reinhardt’s trophy and Rowlet and lands in fifth.

Gardevoir and Jin Kazama break past 150 nominations. These two are also en route to disturb that top 7.

Aside from that, no new developments on the nominations front, but there are other characters and concepts quickly rising through the ranks...

Now, for today’s topic

Medusa

Chance: 18%
She does have the body structure to be a Palutena Echo potentially, although no staff or shield, so it would take an extra push.

She doesn’t seem popular enough to make it as an Echo, but she was always a character with notable support, so she might have surprised in the ballot.

However, Uprising really left her in the dust, with Viridi and Hades being much more memorable as characters and villains (Hades was even retconned to be the true villain behind KI1). So they might have priority.

On the other hand, they would most likely be unique characters if they get in, giving Medusa an edge by virtue of being in that sweetspot where she’s not important enough to be unique but important enough to be a clone. (Then again, most characters that made it in as Echoes seem to actually be important enough to be unique, so who knows)

There is also the factors of Sakurai bias and the fact that I don’t think Kid Icarus will ever get more than 4 reps, so he might not pick her as the last ever.

Want: 90%
She’s cool, a villain, great design and she even pulled a nice comeback by the end of Uprising. But, I gotta say, her overall boring role keeps her from being a 100.

Abstaining from Tapu Koko

Monster Hunter stage prediction: Tomorrow will be divided between the unrealistic hopefuls and the pragmatic realists, with a dash of the insane no-more-stages-leftists. 6%

Nominations: NintenX10 (Gotta keep him away from Bogard as long as I can)

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Medusa

Chance-30%

Eh. Maybe... Nothing points directly to her being dead at this point, especially with echos, but nothing pointing her to being particularly likely either.

Want-60%

Never played Kid Icarus but she has a neat enough design.

Tapu Koko

Chance-20%

I just think they'd go with Incineroar, Decidueye, or Lycanroc.

Want-0%

If it's competing with Incineroar, nu uh.

Nominate-
Xenoblade Newcomer x10

Last edited:

Lupin Red

Smash Rookie
Medusa
Chance: 20%
I'm not sure about this. For one thing, she might make it in since Heroes vs. Villains theme is a thing, but on the other, her relevancy might hinder her chances. Well, that or other Kid Icarus villains like Viridi or Hades are more prominent than Medusa.

Want: 60%
Eh, I pretty much want her than Viridi anyway. She could potentially work as Palutena's Echo, with of course having her own moves.

Tapu Koko
Chance: 1%
I don't even think this Tapu might make it in. It simply has too many competitions: Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Buzzwole to name a few. He might make it in as one of Pokemon summoned in a Pokeball, though.

Want: 20%
My least favorite of the Tapu. Like I said, it has too many competitions at this point and I would rather have Decidueye or Incineroar instead.

Nominations:
Jin Kazama x10

D

Deleted member

Medusa
Want: 50%

Tapu Koko
Chance: 15%

I'm rather whatever to both of them, they both have their merits but don't feel as "must-have" characters. Don't have much to add.

Noms:
Metroidvania-like adventure mode x10

Monster Hunter stage prediction: 8.76%

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Medusa
Before echo fighters, she seemed like a long shot compared to Viridi and Hades, and it was Viridi that got the Mii Fighter costume after all. She's still a strange choice for echo, considering the amount of effort needed for her snake hair alone, much less the differences she has with Palutena - at that level I feel she would be a semi-clone, and that's assuming she's picked over the others due to body shape.

Want: 37%
She has a cool moment in KIU, but I overall like Viridi better. I'd choose Medusa over Hades, though.

Tapu Koko

They're another notable Gen 7 Pokemon, shows up during SM's story, and is a competitive mainstay, but Tapu Lele is the most popular of the island gods in more than one way (including casual popularity and in competitive singles). I think the biggest thing going against them is the electric typing, as there might be concerns with overlapping with Pikachu and Pichu.

Want: 35%
I think Tapu Koko's cool, and I wouldn't have a problem if they made it in.

Noms
All in for Terry Bogard

Predicts
MH Stage: 50%

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
Tired of rating gen 7 mon so abstaining on Topu Keku.

Medusa

Definitely not as an original character. Viridi and Hades are both more popular and relevant to uprising. Has a shot at being an Palutena echobut IDK if everything would fit. She has no halo, wings or shield. Nor would it make that much sense for her to use Palutena's specials.

Want: 1%
Echo fighter or not I still strongly prefer Hades over her and probably Viridi too.

MH stage: 43.83%

Punch Out newcomer x10

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Medusa

With Ridley and King K. Rool revealed, it's pretty safe to say that we're getting more villains from other series. As for Kid Icarus, Medusa might be a potential candidate, but then there's Viridi and Hades, who are more prominent and more likely to get in due to their relevancy. The only way I could see her get in is if they made her an Echo Fighter of Palutena, but even I have doubts about it happening.

Want: 5%
I'm not really that interested about Medusa anyway, even as Palutena's Echo. If we're getting a Kid Icarus villain, it's definitely either Viridi or Hades.

Tapu Koko

Chance: 2%
It's highly unlikely that they would pick Tapu Koko to represent Gen 7. It has competition with Decidueye, Lycanroc and Incineroar, who are more likely to get in due to their popularity.

Want: 10%
If we're getting a Tapu in Smash, Tapu Lele would be my personal pick since it's quite popular among the casual and competitive fans of Pokemon, but even then, I think they're only going to appear as one of the Pokemon summoned in the Pokeball.

Nominations:
Jin Kazama x10

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Medusa

Chance: 50%
To me, it's simply "it happen or it doesn't happen". I may be biased (I am) but I think that the echo concept really gave her a chance. Especially if the "villain" theme is true about newcomers.

Want: 100%
Well... :p
She has a unique look, she can bring diversity to the roster.
I'd prefer a unique fighter of course, but I want her even as an echo.

Tapu Koko

It's an interesting pokémon, and an important one, but I see two problems. First, the electrical type, I may become redundant with Pikachu and Pichu, and the fact that he flies. Not really a problem with jumping and such, but more about low attacks on the ground. This can be fixed by flying close enough to the ground though.

Not really a fan of the guardians from Sun & Moon, I'd prefer an ultra beast

Last edited:

zeonie888

Smash Apprentice
Medusa

Chance: 35%
Kid Icarus is quite the success and I believe there there is room for at least one more. She does have a chance of being an echo fighter but as an unique I think Hades has a bigger chance than she does.

Want: 75%
I like her design in uprising and would be curious in how she would play if she got in either as an unique or an echo.

Tapu Koko
With generation seven rolling along there is quite the competition for the new pokemon rep. However this is quite the toss up with Inciniroar, Decidueye and Buzzwole for this spot. It's got a decent shot at getting it or in as a pokeball pokemon.

The guardians don't grab my attention like other pokemon do. I wouldn't mind if it did get in.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Medusa

The argument for her is to get in as a Echo of Palutena. Palutena's only using 5 of her 12 specials. Medusa could take 4 of the 7 (or combine some like with Palutena's Reflect & Counter). People would compare Medusa to Chrom in the sense that her moveset is not a one-to-one a copy of Palutena's.

Tapu Koko
Want: 15%

Another Gen VII Pokemon from Sun and Moon, and one of the four Guardians of Alola that had a role in the story. Typing shouldn't be a factor against Tapu as we have plenty of characters in the roster that use a sword but not everyone plays the same (except Echoes). I'm sure Tapu Koko can use some Electric type moves that neither Pikachu or Pichu use. He's summons that electric barrier when you challenge the Legendary Pokemon to a battle. Tapu Koko's final smash could be a variant of Bowser's final smash with Tapu attaching itself as the head of the Guardian body and slamming its fist to whatever poor soul falls into its range.

Nominations
Rowlet x10

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Medusa
chance
She could be a echo of palutena but thats her best chance. With the theme of fan favorite ballot picks and a limited roster already I think that she may sit this one out.
25%

want
Could be cool and a easy echo. Just don't care much forher to be honest.
25%

Tapu Koko
Chance
I think he has a decent chance out of Gen 7 Pokemon but agian its anyone's game. While Mimiku may have been deconfimred you still have the starters and other popular Gen 7 Pokemon not to mention even if we get a Gen 7 Pokemon.
30%

want
could be cool and a nice choice. But still want Incenoroar and Decdeye first.
60%

nominating
rick,coo and kine x5
earthworm jim x5

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Medusa
Chance: 25%
As people have said Medusa can be an echo for Palutena which gives her the edge over Viridi and Hades. However, Kid Icarus is currently not a relevant series which may prevent another rep even an echo from being in. Plus, depending on the number of remaining echo fighters, she faces competition between more likely characters such as Shadow, Ken, and Isabelle. I personally believe we will get 10+ total echo fighters in the base roster, so maybe she can get a spot.

Want: 80%
But despite how unlikely she may be, I would love it if she made it in. Having more female villains is always welcome.

Tapu Koko
He faces very heavy competition between quite a few mons. Most likely we will get either a starter like Incineroar or an Ultra Beast like Buzzwole as the Gen VII rep.

Not one of my favorites, but I prefer having almost any potential Gen VII rep over Incineroar.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Gorgon

I am biased against this series.

I’d have accepted her back in for before that echo I loathe was a thing, but the fact that Kid Icarus got so much love and other series haven’t for ages *coughZeldacough* left a bad taste in my mouth. I wonder if that would have affected her ballot performance since people were sick of KI by then.

She’d be an awkward Paly echo since she doesn’t have the arsenal, and she’d need some extra bones for her hair. Also, Hades is in competition with her.

Maybe let’s get Kid Icarus another game first, then we can talk about more KI characters.

The Well Known Tapu

Chance: 5%

I feel like this one got the Zoroark treatment.

Every gen has a few mons they shove in your fave. Some, like Lucario, end up as fan favorites. Others are quickly forgotten. Considerig how much I hear people talk about this guy, I know which category it’s in.

I still think a Pokémon is likely but not guaranteed. And if so, it’ll probably be someone easier to work with. Mimikyu was promoted to all infinity, but it has difficult proportions to work with and thus got Pokéballed. I can see the same here.

And confession: I never really got into Gen 7, so I couldn’t be bothered if Pokémon sits this round out.

Prediction for MH stage: 50.0%
Nom: Dovhakiin x5, unpopular newcomer x5

PS TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom when does 10 noms end?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Medusa
Chance 25%
She has the chance of becoming an echo which is why I put her percent a bit higher than I would. However she doesn't have wings or a halo like Palutena, but I'm sure Sakurai could find someway around that, like replacing the wings with striking snakes.

Want 10%
There are other Kid Icarus characters I'd want before her such as Phosphora, or Viridi. In fact there other echoes I'd prefer to have before her.

Tapu Koko
Chance 30%
An important Pokémon to the plot of Sun and Moon in both the game and Anime, Tapu Koko is a popular Pokémon. However it still faces competition from other popular Gen 7 Pokémon such as Lycanroc, Primarina, and Incineroar just to name a few.

Want 45%
One of my favorite Pokémon in Alola I wouldn't mind having Tapu Koko, but he's still a bit behind of my Gen 7 picks; Primarina and Lycanroc.

Nomination: Amaterasu x10

zferolie

Smash Hero
Medusa:

Chance: 75%
With more villains getting in I see her having a good chance, and echos being a thing plus dark samus being an Echo raises her chance quite a bit. She fits Palutena's frame, and basically has everything she has(Staff, same type of dress) other then the shield (which Palutena uses a total of TWO times in her attacks, so she could just do the same attack just fine). Plus with Echos able to not have the same moves she could easily take a move from Palutena's lost Custom moves, most likely a dark version of Heavenly light over counter/reflect. Everything else fits well for medusa to use. She teleports, she shoots hout dark fire balls, and fires lasers. Her Wings could be dark wings or even snakes in the attack(the wings are not always there for Palutena, just some attacks, so should be easy to replace them)

Want: 90%
She's the number 1 villain I want. Cool design, a female villain, and easy to fit in as an echo,

Tapu Koko:

CHance: 10%
While kinda pushed not nearly as popular as other Gen7 pokemon.

Never really liked him. Tapu Leilei I liked a lot more myself

Nom: Hikari and Donbex10

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Medusa
Chance- 30%
IIt's entirely possible, it just depends on if Sakurai thinks shes popular enough to be a high echo priority.

Want- 30%
Wouldn't be agaisnt the inclusion, but I have plenty of echoes I'd like to see beforehand.

Tapu Koko- 20%
A popular Pokemon,, but popularity wont determine which gen 7 mon is picked (roster decided in dec. 2015). However, he isnt pushed as much compared to other mons, so I'd be inclined to predict a different mon.

Want-0%
I'd prefer other gen 7 mons. Buzzswole would be my first pick.

2B X 5

Tew

Smash Apprentice
Medusa:

Chance:
30%
One of the more likely Newcomer candidates in my opinion. With Ridley and K. Rool (especially his Trailer) it seems like we are getting more villains. Many leaks actually Point at a whole villain vs heroes theme for the game or a Story mode and I could see that.
Furthermore Medusa could work as a unique character but also a Palutena Echo.
Even though she is the first/oldest and most appearing villain in Kid Icarus, there is big concurrence with Hades and Viridi, who both got more Attention in Uprising and also seem to be bigger fan favourites.
I think it´s Pretty likely that we will see one or a few more villains/antagonists/rivals, especially for Earthbound (Proky, Gigyas), Fire Emblem (Black KNight, Veronica) and Kid Icarus (Hades, Medusa). But it´s hard to tell if Medusa or Hades is more likely, I´d say it´s nearly 50/50.

Want:
40%
I like the Kid Icarus series and would love to see a Newcomer from that series, but personally I´d prefer Hades and Viridi over Medusa, though I would be happy with Medusa, too.

Tapu Koko:

Chance:
16,83%
Honestly, at this Point I have no idea anymore what Pokémon we will get, if we even get any. There are so many possibilities and leaks. It could be Gardevoir and Gothitelle or Incineroar or Decidueye or Incineroar or Zeraora or Golisopod or a surprising Gen 8 Pokémon or whatever new Pokémon we will apparently get in Let´s go or Tapu Koko… idk.
While a bit Points at Tapu, I don´t give it the biggest Chance, simply because we already have 2 Electric Pokémon.

Want:
8%
I actually like the Tapus a lot, but really don´t Need another Electric Pokémon and there are just too many other potential Pokémon Newcomers I would prefer.

Predict:
MH Stage: 34,26%

Nom:
10x Fjorm

Last edited:

warpenguin55

Smash Journeyman
A double up day? Sweet

Medusa:

Chance: 65%
Medusa could work pretty well as either a Palutena echo fighter or by re-using some of Palutena's scrapped custom moves from Smash 4. She's also from one of Sakurai's games, so there's another bonus. The only thing that might be keeping her out would be the ballot. I don't remember how much support she had, so maybe it's an issue, maybe it's not.

I loved Kid Icarus Uprising and I liked Medusa. However, I would much rather have Hades instead. I wouldn't be mad if Medusa was picked over Hades, but I wouldn't be as happy to see her in.

Tapu Koko

As far as I know, Tapu Koko is decently popular and from the latest gen. There's a chance he could get in the same way Greninja did. The smash ballot hurts his chances, just like Medusa, but I'm giving him a lower score because of the fact he wouldn't have anyone to echo

My reasoning here is about the same as Medusa's. Liked the game, liked the character, would rather have someone else from the same game in smash.

Nominations:
Silvally x5
Zeraora x5

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Medusa
Chance: 70%
Want: 30%
I see a lot of requests for kid Icarus characters and villains. She'd work perfectly as an echo.

Tapu Koko
Chance: 55%
I think people are sleeping on Tapu Koko. He's just as relavent to the anime and the game. The Pokemon rep doesn't have to be a starter.

Also I'm nominating Black Knight x 5.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
Medusssssssa~
Chance: 45%
With echoes being capable of having small differences in animation and attacks, Medusa seems like a fantastic choice. Forward and down smash can have her head snakes dash forwards to cover the hitbox or have her summon bat wings, bair and dash attack can swap invincibilty for more power where she simply punches instead of a shield parry, Autoreticle can come from her eyes and stun or she could have Mewtwo's Disable over her down B, Final Smash could be a ZSS copy where her giant Gorgon head appears in the background to blast the stage with a laser, then there's even the chance of getting the unused custom specials back, the potential goes on~
Want: 85%
I loved Medusa in KI:U and i was disappointed with how little she got screetime before she was usurped by Viridi and Hades.

Tapu "Chicken Head" Koko
Pretty much the Guardian of the 4 with multiple instances of screentime. It's certainly possible to be a fighter with good potential and could affect terrain with it's ability.
Want: 25%
I prefer Lele and Fini.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Medusa:

Chance: 50: Could be a good choice for an echo fighter of Palutena, and while I think most Ultimate's roster is based off of the smash ballot, I think Medusa could be a good candidate for a lesser requested character.

Want: 50: Like I said above, interested in having her as an echo. Not sure there's enough to warrant a character slot though.

Tapu Koko:
Abstain: Don't really feel like voting on random gen 7 Pokemon that don't have much of a shot.

Nomination: Nathan Drake x10

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Medusa (Kid Icarus series)
Chances: 64%
Villains are trending in SSB and Echoes give an opportunity for many characters to get in easily, even if they won't be as well realised in SSB as they ought to be. Sakurai seems to be adding more Echoes than I was expecting and his fondness for Kid Icarus series is very blatant. I don't think her chances as an original character are too high, though she certainly has the potential for such a thing, but her proportions seem like she could fit in easily as a Palutena Echo.​

Things standing against her include the lack of a recent Kid Icarus game and the amount of reps already in, but I don't feel like these are issues Sakurai will pay much heed to, particularly if he takes Echoes into consideration. What might be more influential is the Smash Ballot, as I didn't see much support for her compared to the recent Uprising additions to the Kid Icarus franchise.​
Want: 62%
Medusa was in my top 10 most wanted on the outset for SSB4, yet the factor that she has a chance of making it as a playable character now has me feeling... mixed. Kid Icarus has plenty of representation already, particularly for a 3 game series, so I don't feel it really needs another playable character. I suppose it wouldn't matter so much if she were added as the non-development consuming Echo Fighter, but to see her relegated to a mere Echo would be... disappointing.​

It's the same feeling I have with Dark Samus. A big cheer that their in, but then the regret that they are not truly in the game, their merely slightly adjusted skins for another character given the false impression that they are a separate character. I suppose if Sakurai is treating this as his last game and that the future of the series will be under a different director, possibly even rebooted for a fresh start, then that could alleviate the disappointment of mere Echo status a little.​
I think I'd lean more to appreciating her inclusion overall though, or be Neutral on it like Daisy. There are many other suggestions that I'm far less of a fan of, and she'd bring another female villain to the roster... and she's at least a Nintendo character.​

Tapu Koko (Pokémon series)
Chances: 40%
For comparison sake, I previously rated the chances of Pirmarina and Incineroar around the 37% and 35% respectively, so in contrast to them I've rated Tapu Koko fairly high. The below 50% chance rating are due to my belief that we will not see a Pokémon newcomer, at least as part of the base game, and if we do, I think a UB would be most likely.​
To it's credit though, after the UB's, I'd presently say Tapu Koko is the most likely. It plays a key role in Pokémon Sun and Moon games and anime, appears early on, etcetera. I won't say if it could have a unique move-set, I don't know enough about it (I mostly ignored it in the game and destroyed it in... one or two hits when I was made to battle it)​

Want: 26%
You might get the impression that I don't like Tapu Koko, which is kind of true; I just don't care for it. I'm not big on Pokémon gaining yet even more playable representation as it is, but to include the Pokémon whose fight was low-note of a very disappointing Pokémon experience in a playable role doesn't exactly excite me. There are other Nintendo series I'd prefer represented, gaining more represented or even additional Pokémon I'd prefer. On the plus side... at least Tapu Koko is a Nintendo character and one with some prominence in it's game where I can kind of see how it could deserve a playable spot.​

This might get her past 100 nominations, so let me vote once again for:
Nominations: x10 Fatal Frame Protagonist

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Medusa

People are really confident that Medusa can easily echo Palutena, huh? I'm not saying that Sakurai couldn't shoehorn it in if he pleased to - it's just that Palutena's particular moveset matches her keepaway, far-reaching personality to a tee. Medusa's vicious, vengeful nature, as well as her inherent gorgon abilities, don't lend themselves to that playstyle as easily.

Sakurai bias might strike again, of course, and Medusa's been on wishlists even before Uprising became a game, but there's the undeniable sense that maybe there's enough Kid Icarus characters, and that old snake-hair herself wouldn't be worth it that much. Certainly, break-outs like Viridi and Hades provide a more compelling argument to bend the rules even more than Dark Pit already did, but I wouldn't confidently add Medusa to that list.

I'll give her a fair chance, since she's someone who had more reason to get into Smash than Palutena did. But I don't see her as having priority.

Tapu Koko

Chance: 60%
Probably the last major Alolan Pokemon left to be discussed, Tapu Koko fits the candidacy bill by being the most, well, Alolan representative you could pick. I know neither Lucario nor Greninja were particularly representative of their regions, and that Alola didn't shake up the franchise as much as Unova did to warrant a more-representative inclusion (not that Unova got a character to begin with). But that identity is Tapu Koko's strongest suit here: the fact that he's not just another Pokemon lucky enough to be the starter, or the anime favorite, or the crowd favorite even. He's an integral part of both Alola and Pokemon Sun/Moon, one who just so happened to be properly advertised by The Pokemon Company enough to become popular.

His weakness lies in the fact that he's one of the least-obvious movesets to consider. Does he attack by jabbing his mask halves forward? What's the difference between him floating and being grounded? Does he have particularly-unique attacks or abilities? Without easy answers to those, it's easy for one to move onto a different candidate with clearer attack playstyles.

Want: 75%
While I've mostly accepted the possible inevitability that the newcomer will be Incineroar, Tapu Koko is someone I'd easily welcome instead. He's weird in a cool way, he's distinctly Alolan, and there's very little against him that people really have.

Prediction:
Monster Hunter stage: 25%

Nominations:
Guzma x10

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Medusa

Chance: 10%
He best shot is being an echo, though it seems she also has a decent amount of support behind her. I think her getting in as a unique fighter would be highly unlikely, so my chance score for her is sole based on being an echo.

Truth be told, I really prefer that Pit be the lone playable character from his series. With Palutena and Dark Pit already in the game, I really have no desire to include any character from Kid Icarus now.

-----

Tapu Koko

It hasn't been shown as a Pokeball summon yet, so it's still in the running. It's fairly popular and one of the more promoted Alolan species out there. Its chances aren't too bad.

Want: 30%
It's not one I really desire in, but would be fine if it does become playable.

-----

Nominate:
Reinhardt Trophy x10

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Medusa:

Chance: 30% - It all depends on how many echoes we're getting, I don't think she'd be a high priority echo, but at the same time she's probably high enough on the list to make it in if we get more than I expect of them.

Want: 40% - Don't care for KI.

Tapu Koko:

Chance: 55% - I have him slightly above Incineroar, who makes up the other 45%. I think his heavy involvement in promotional material early on in S/M's lifespan might be an indication of Game Freak having had plans for it to be one of the generation's most popular Pokémon, and although it hasn't quite panned out that way the timing of Ultimate's project plan could prove very beneficial for it. I also think there's something to be said of S/M's story literally beginning and ending with it, every single player who's played the game has encountered it, and it shows Game Freak had a lot of faith in it. On top of that I think its very unique fighting style could have drawn Sakurai towards it, not only does it attack with unique "weaponry", but there's potential for stance-switching and terrain manipulation in its moveset. It's got a lot more going for it than I think a lot of people initially think.

Want: 50% - I'm neutral when it comes to most Gen 7 inclusions as I didn't really play much of it past completing the game, so I never really formed an opinion on a lot of the stuff from it, and Tapu Koko is no exception. I don't even care so much for its potential to be a very unique fighter, because it's not likely to be a playstyle I care for. I don't outright dislike it like with Incineroar, but I don't really like it either.

Last edited:

Brindor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2939-3197-6187
Medusa
Chance:
50%
Could go either way honestly, Palutenas Medusa alt from 4 is still MIA so who knows
Never played KI so I don't know much about her, but I always found Hades design an absolute eyesore and Viridi annoying, so a 4th rep KI might as well be her.

Abstaining from the 'Mon

Noms
Cooking Mama x10
Master Hand playable x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Medusa
Chance:
50%
Could go either way honestly, Palutenas Medusa alt from 4 is still MIA so who knows
Never played KI so I don't know much about her, but I always found Hades design an absolute eyesore and Viridi annoying, so a 4th rep KI might as well be her.

Abstaining from the 'Mon

Noms
Cooking Mama x10
Master Hand playable x10
It’s ten nominations per capita. If you don’t change them I’ll have no choice but to not count them.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Medusa

Chance: Around 18% I don't see her at all.

Want: I give her 8% That's it. Medusa isn't necessary in Smash. Take it however you want.

Tapu Koko:

Chance: Hopefully neither. Haha Its forgettable and odd.

Want: No.

Nominate:
Cranky Kong

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Medusa
Chance - 40%
She could turn out an echo of Palutena which gives her a boost. Additional booster is if there truly is a Hero and Villains rival stand off thing going on then she can help add to that. Viridi does fine in codecs and Hades would make a good boss. But she could also turn out as a boss.
Want - 95%
I want a truly evil female who could stand up there with Ganondorf or Ridley. I was rooting for her over Palutena back in Smash 4 and was disappointed that Dark Pit made it in at all. Viridi looks more like jailbait waifu material than an actual intimidating cold blooded badass.

Tapu Koko
Chance - 35%
Decent role in Sun and Moon with a interesting design. Some stiff competition still goes against him with the starters, Lycanroc, and even the possible Gardevoir leak.
Want - 35%
He's got a decent design, but I won't say I'm really rooting for him as I prefer some other picks. I wouldn't be mad if he made it in though.

Noms 10x Gardevoir

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Medusa 18%
Not a perfect fit for Palutena, but a stretch with some tweaks I would very much approve of just to see her repped. Medusa was not as important as Hades in Uprising necessarily, but has some decent history and is a rare opportunity for a female villain.

Tapu Koko 8%
I am almost entirely in the Incineroar camp of expectations, but Tapu Koko does have a notable presence in the SM plot. It is also popular, but that may not have been something that could have been accounted for when the roster was chosen. That said it's entirely possible one or two characters were chosen later than the rest of the cast, we have no idea. Very unique design.

Nominations: Amaterasu x10

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Medusa:
Chance: 40%
I do think she maybe a contender as a possible echo fighter of Palutena.

Tapu Koko
I do feel that the Alola Guardians and the Ultra Beasts is what pretty much the highlight within Sun and Moon, if there I were to pick any other Pokemon besides the three starters and Ultra Beast, my vote would go to Tapu Koko.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Medusa

She's got a decent chance as far as being an echo. Tha makes her considerably more likely than other KI characters, but far from a lock.

Want: 100%

I wanted her for a long time and was disappointed with how she was handled in Uprising. Here's to hoping Sakurai does her justice.

Tapu Koko

Meh. It's possible, but I don't see it being picked of all Pokemon.

Awkward as **** design.
Even if it's a cool Pokemon.

Nomination - Tsubasa Oribe x 5

Troykv

Smash Master
Medusa:

Chance: 25%

She is a subject of how far Sakurai wants to go with Echo Fighters.

I like Gorgons; and she is cool.

Tapu Koko

Abstain.

Prediction:

Monster Hunter Stage: 31.4%

Nominations:

Adeleine x10

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Medusa

Chance - 11.5% - An echo is her best shot. Even then, she lacks the star power that several other echoes seem to have. Doing so would mostly make Kid Icarus fans happy, who many feel were getting overexposed. Considereing the amount of tweeaks nesicary, I don't think it is overly likely. That said, Medusa was somewhat wanted, so we can't compleatly ignore her.

Want - 50% - Eh. I like Kid Icarus, but Medusa was bit of a bore. I do apprecate her status as the original villain, but compared to others I just can't apreacate her.

Tapu Koko

Chance - 7.5% - Pokemon has headed into a completely unknown territory, and now no one seems to know what to expect. Personally, though, I don't expect it to be Tapu Koko. I'd think Sakurai would pick something that's a bit more exiting than him, who's a bit too much of a standard fighter.

Want - 35% - Kinda boring, in my oppion. He's not that exiting to me, as he isn't that drawing in to my attention.

Prediction

Monster Hunter Stage - 32.44% - I have no idea...

Nominations

Reimu Hakurei X10

THE TemporaryFool

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4355-9441-8851
Medusa:
Chance: 10% given that Medusa is something stright out of mythology and goes beyond video games, unlike Palutena or Pit. Besides, there is a medusa stage boss in the Dracula’s castle stage. (Even if it is a different version).
Want: 40% more villains would be neat.

Tapu Koko:
Chance: 10% other pokemon in that gen have more priority more than likely
Want: 60% would be unique enough

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Medusa
Chance: 10% - Sakurai himself was the one who single handedly shafted her status as the main villain in the series. He also introduced several new characters in uprising who have far bigger roles in the story. Her best bet is being an echo of Palutena, although she doesn’t actually use any of Palutena’s abilities in Uprising. I’d argue that there are more consistently faithful echoes that would be prioritized over her.

Nominations: Edelgard x5

Top Bottom