• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Simon - 90%
I know absolutely nothing about Castlevania, but the way he's implemented in Smash makes me want to change that. Dude looks like he's so much fun to play and he's bringing THIRTY FOUR music pieces with him!

Richter - N/A
Never even heard of him before the direct. Neat, I guess?

King K. Rool - 100%
I've never played a game with K. Rool in it, but this feels right. I'm so happy for all the people that have been asking for him for years, the big croc deserves it at this point. Plus he looks fun!

Chrom - 100%
You know what? I actually love this. He actually got his chance another day!

Dark Samus - 50%
I'd be more enthused about Dark Samus being an echo if Samus's moveset wasn't terrible in the first place. Would be even lower, but I've been 100% positive that Dark Samus was an echo, and I will admit that there's a bit of smugness mixed in there. Also, 2 Metroid newcomers! What timeline am I living in?!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Simon: 90%. Really cool design and moveset. The stage is also incredible too.

Richter: 95%. Pretty unexpected but cool nonetheless I as played and 100% Rondo of Blood.

King K. Rool: 100% I'm really glad he finally made it. I have more newcomer I want.

Chrom: 50%. I'm meh on Fire Emblem. So a 7th FE character is kinda eh.

Dark Samus: 65%. Cool I guess.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Simon: 72%. He was a good addition.
Richter: 0%. Why is he in the game!? Just why?
Chrom: 0%. Don't think I need to explain.
Dark Samus: 32%. Eh, she was destined to be an echo.
King K. Rool: 94%. Good, good.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Nintendo Direct 8/8/18 Satisfaction Rating

Direct was great. Had lots of cool stuff I'm looking forward to seeing, but let's talk characters, because that's what this thread is about.

Belmondos - 100%

Simon's been implemented absolutely perfectly into Smash. Everything from his subweapons, his idle animations, his multi-directional whip, pulling from less-retro Castlevania games like RoB and SotN, all of it. Richter's inclusion is also more than welcome.

Not to mention, pretty much everything about the reveal was absolutely incredible as well.
  • Luigi dies
  • SURPRISE RICHTER BABY
  • Dracula's Castle is down right stunning
  • All those old school Castlevania enemies remastered just for that one stage
  • 34 GOD TIER CASTLEVANIA SONGS SIMPLY BECAUSE THE MUSIC TEAM LIKES CASTLEVANIA SONGS, SUCK ON THAT SQUARE
But above anything else, the most important thing about the reveal was that we are going to have Kid Dracula appear in a 2018 game.
Just incredible.

Chrom and Dark Samus - ABSTAIN

Don't really mind either inclusion, because they're echoes. Feel good for their fans, but I don't really care either way on their inclusion.

Although, I would like to say to anyone complaining about "TOO MANY FAM BLAM CHARACTERS" needs to remember that the current Fire Emblem roster consists of:
  • Four unique characters (Marth, Ike, Robin, Corrin)
  • A semi-clone (Roy)
  • Two echoes (Lucina, Chrom)
So going "FIRE EMBLEM HAS AS MANY CHARACTERS AS POKEMON" when Pokemon has:
  • EIGHT unique characters (Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja)
  • A semi-clone (Pichu)
  • With another newcomer likely on the way
Or going "FIRE EMBLEM HAS AS MANY CHARACTERS AS DONKEY KONG AND METROID COMBINED" when DK and Metroid have:
  • Six unique characters (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley)
  • An echo (Dark Samus)
is a pretty bad comparison. Unless you really think fully developing King K. Rool or Ridley took as much time as essentially slapping a Chrom model on Roy. Quit playing the victim card.

King K. Rool - 100%

Good god, where do I even begin? What an incredible reveal.

I'll just go down the list.
  • The fact that this was a 100% surprise and wasn't leaked like Simon was
  • The fact that K. Rool was already one of my most wanted characters
  • All the great art of the Original 8 and their rivals before hand
  • Donkey and Diddy's faces, you know the ones
  • KING DEDEDE'S FAKEOUT
  • King Dedede dies
  • That awesome Gangplank Galleon remix
  • The fact that K. Rool is so faithful to his original boss fights, crown-throwing from DKC, blunderbuss from DKC2, hoverpack from DKC3, boxing gloves from DK64, Blast-O-Matic from DK64; all phenomenal
  • That badass scene at the end where DK and KKR are running at one another and then just slam against one another in the air, DBZ style beneath the sun
I don't know if anything will ever top it. It was just incredible.

Overall, the game is a done deal for me at this point.
  • Gameplay looks great
  • Classic mode is finally fixed
  • There seems to be a story / adventure / boss mode of some sort, which means they're listening to the backlash from Smash 4's poor single player
  • Newcomer reveals are incredible, get better and better one after another
  • All those music and stages
  • AND WE STILL GOT MORE TO GO
Really, this is Sakurai's magnum opus. He deserves a long vacation after this, however long he likes.
A Rhythm Heaven newcomer would be the perfect cherry on top for me, but as of right now, Smash Ultimate is looking to be BY FAR the best one yet. I'm very excited.

Last edited:

ZTurtle

Smash Journeyman
Simon: 75%. Not gonna lie, I was completely ambivalent to Simon before the trailer, especially when the leak the night before sort of took the wind out of my sails for this Direct. I've only played one Castlevania game, and admittedly I didn't play all that much of it. That being said, his reveal trailer was so cool, his moveset looked pretty cool, and he's a very chiseled and manly man compared to a lot of the pretty boys we have on the roster, so hey, he won me over.

Richter: 80%. Now, remember when I said I only played one Castlevania game? Well it just so happens that Dracula X Chronicles (Remake of Rondo of Blood, where Richter comes from), IS the one game I played. So even though I didn't really get into it, I sort of liked Richter because of it, and I think that it's cool to have him in along Simon. Plus, he increases Shadow's chances, and I like that.

Chrom: 50%. I'm really mixed on this one. Don't get me wrong, I like Chrom. I've put in tons of hours on Awakening. But, I dunno, did we really need another blue haired lord, and a THIRD rep from Awakening? Visually, he doesn't look super distinct from Marth and Ike, and If we HAD to get a Fire Emblem echo, I would have preferred someone from a different era of Fire Emblem, like Alm, whose green hair would at least be distinct. But in the end, it was fan demand that got Chrom in, and people seem to be really happy about him. So I can't be too upset about it.

Dark Samus: 95%. Ah yea, I thought she would be a badass Echo, and provide some much needed Metroid representation, and lo and behold, there she is. Sure enough, she looks really sick, and I'm really glad that we've got to Metroid villains on the roster. A part of me does wish we could have gotten her as a unique character, but ah well, maybe some day.

King K. Rool: 100%. To think that this day would come. I wanted K. Rool more than anyone during Smash 4 DLC, and while I've grown to want Bandana Dee about as much as K. Rool, he was still essentially my most wanted. And he's IN! It's so cathartic, remembering the roller coaster ride of the Mii costume and the disappointment of the DLC, but now he's IN, and he looks so good, exactly how I would have imagined him, with all of the goofy expressions that I was hoping for. And man, his reveal was fantastic. Yesterday was such a good day.

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I'll add formating like bold and colors once I get access to my computer to edit this post's content rather than my mobile. Edit: done.

Simon and Richter satisfaction: both 80%
Okay I'm not super familiar with Castlevania overall (only played Lord of Shadows) but I was still aware of the series' fame and influence on the early era of the video game industry and it seems like a perfect fit for Smash. The characters look fairly fun but what seems to be the coolest is what they bring with them like the awesome Dracula's Castle stage and so many songs which I'm sure will be awesome. Richter also was a big surprise because I expected Simon, even without the rumors he seemed like the third-party candidate that made the most sense after Bomberman's deconfirmation, but a character I never heard of before? He's an echo, so a bonus, and he makes sense because Castlevania changes protagonists in different games, so that's actually nice. Basically he's this RTC edition's equivalent to Greninja as neither were rated in their respective RTCs but unlike Greninja Richter was a bonus not the main star.
Not to mention the trailer where Dracula's Castle acted like Luigi's Mansion up to eleven. King Boo is for weaks, let's make Luigi face DEATH!

Chrom satisfaction: 52%
While it feels like there's a bit too much Fire Emblem, he's mostly a cheap bonus with some positive aspects so I don't complain. He finally got his chance after the unfair treatment he got four years ago, the Awakening trio is now complete and seeing him echoed from Roy rather than Ike like I would have expected it is a nice surprise. His up special is also completely different from Roy's so there's hope for some diversity offered by potentially revealed future echoes.

Dark Samus satisfaction: 87.5%
While I generally see echo candidates as nice but cheap bonuses that leave me mostly indifferent, Dark Samus was an exception because after beating the Metroid Prime trilogy she joined my wishlist but I never expected her to have a ghost of a chance. But after echoes were announced I figured it gave her a realistic chance so that's what I started to hope. Using blue energy rather than flame bursts will feel like using a phazon character and that's great!

King K. Rool satisfaction: 98%
My most wanted Nintendo character to become playable in Smash, I'm so glad he got saved from irrelevance and proven to still be a notable and marketable character thanks to Sakurai's work! The trailer was awesome with Dedede's trolling before the real deal appears, and the incredible reaction from Donkey and Diddy! And for his playable appearance it's simply superb, his design is awesome with the dark skin and gold-plated belly, his funny but still clearly villainous face expressions, and his well-integrated accessories from his DKC battles. And we finally get to see the Blast-o-Matic in action! I just wished the down special would be something more unique than a counter. Now I hope he will return to modern DK titles so he can finally be truly considered an important character of modern Nintendo again!

Last edited:

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
Simon: 100% (Big part of Nintendo history and looks like a fun character to play as)
Richter: 65% (Not super necessary but kinda cool, especially if he's really popular in Japan like I've heard people saying)
Chrom: 55% (If he was highly requested then fine, I just think Smash's Fire Emblem representation isn't as diverse as the games itself are and that kinda bugs me)
Dark Samus: 90% (Very good choice for Echo Fighter, kinda feels a little wrong since her abilities are so different from Samus' in the games but it's better than her not getting in)
King K. Rool: 100% (One of my most requested, and the reveal was PERFECTION)

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Satisfaction ratings

Simon Belmont - 90% - While I'm not super-familir with Castlevania, I know enough to reconize all the most famous aspects of it. It looks darn faithful, and I can aprecate his inclusion, which says alot about him.

King K. Rool - 95% - A good rendition of a character, with alot of charm put into it. He has tons of personality, which makes it clear why others love him.

All echo - 50% - Eh. They're low effort clones. I don't care for any of them.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
well then here are mine feelings on the newcomers

chrom: 70% after fire emblem warriors i ended up thinking he was awesome like everyone else (must be his eyes or something) but i dont like how many fire emblem characters there are so not overly happy

king k.rool: 50% while i did not want him in myself i think the sheer demand for him makes me feel like hes deserves it his moveset looks humours and i love his final smash

the other 3: 0%

D

Deleted member

Simon Belmont satisfaction: OVER 99999999999999999999% (or just 100%)

My most wanted Character made it in! After 5 years! HOLY ****!

I could write a wall of text if i wanted!...........and i did.

On August 8th 2018, on the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Nintendo Direct, Series Director Masahiro Sakurai confirmed that Simon Belmon, protagonist from the Castlevania series, will be a playable figher in Super Smash Bros Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch.

In the eyes of many, Simon was a dark horse, an unexpected character that people didn't talked about. However, i have been someone that has been rooting for him for years, alongside many others, but we were never listened. So let me tell you a little story.

-The Journey. My own history with Simon Belmont and Castlevania-

Imagine if you will, a young boy living in a city from far country of Chile, where game piracy is rampant and in an era when the boy dind't exactly knew how to use the internet (and was too shy to ask for the new shiny console of that generation) the first time i ever played video games was with a wierd DVD disc that was called "Game Master 3000" or something like that, that included a collection of old NES games like Super Mario Bros and Mega Man.

I was an outlier, my exposure to game was mostly thanks to bootleg discs and the first console i ever owned was a Playstation (and in those years, the PS2 already was on the market and the 7th generation was approaching) and most of the Playstation games i woned were pirated copies, including one bootleg collection of NES games.

I can't remember exactly what was the first time i ever played a Castlevania game, but it was definetly one of the older ones. I think i remember playing the original one but never managed to pass the first stage, and i don't think i played Castlevania 1 again until i was a teenager that was already invested in the series.

Anyhow, what this means is that my gaming tastes and preferences were based upon games from an era i didn't even existed. This also applied to videos of games i watched. I didn't look for videos of games like Call of Duty, but rather something like Mega Man X. This is where i found videos of games in Youtube, from Top 10s to walkthroughs to let's plays to finally, video reviews.

And that is how is stumbled upon the videos of the Angry Video Game Nerd. I already heard of him before thanks to the Nostalgia Critic and his rivalry with him, and decided to check his videos.

Remember i was like, 10, having a guy swearing and saying very specific graphic stuff was enternatining to me. Upon his videos, there it was, a series of videos talking about the Casltevania series. From 1 to Symphony of the Night. He gushed about how much he loved the series, namely Super Castlevania 4, and that made me interesed in playing it in full detail.

This is where my appreciation for Super Castlevania 4 and the franchise in general, truly began. I booted up the Snes emulator with the Super Castlevania 4 rom, and played Super Castlevania 4. The ambient music, the refined controls, the dated and yet still charming artstyle made me love the game, and it has become possibly my favorite SNES game. It made look for more Castelvania goodness. Rondo of Blood, Dracula's Curse, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow, etc.

It should be noted that in those days i only played emulators and fangames, and i did not started supporting offical releases until 2013. Not because i didn't wanted to, but because i couldn't (i was a kid with no money, and i was too shy to ask my mother to buy me a game console until that year, and my father is well..............let's just say he's conservative when it comes to money and video games)

I made my mission, that if i ever got the chance to support the official releases of those games i played years ago, i would do it. When the SNES Classic was announced and i noticed it included Super Castlevania 4, i made i mission to get one, and so i did. After years of emulating it, i finally can claim i own the game in a legitimate manner.

But that was in 2017, and i think it's necessary to rewind the clock to way back in 2011. Why? Well because this is about Simon Belmont in Smash, of course.

-The dream. The Most Renowned Vampire Hunter for Smash-

By 2010 i owned a pirated copy of Brawl, and i loved playing it (even if i used a wiimote, and whenever i try to use it again nowadays i question myself how i even enjoyed Brawl with this control scheme) and like any child at my age, i started imagining what other characters could make it into Smash.

Fittingly enough, in the next year's E3, Satoru Iwata announced that Smash would arrive for the 3DS AND Wii U!............eventually. They didn't said when, they only said that it would happen.

and so began the Speculation period of Smash 4, where people started requesting and debating about characters. Who was gonna be in? Who's gonna be cut? How many are we getting?

Among the many speculated characters, you had Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, King K. Rool, Takamaru, Chrom, Ridley and many others.

Back in 2012, i was spitballing about what character could be a good idea in Smash. and then it hit me.............what about Simon Belmont? He could have an original moveset, he has history in gaming and is very closely tied with Nintendo! It just made sense to me in the same way Mega Man did.

In E3 2013, Smash 4 was unveiled to the public in all of it's glory, and showcased one of my favorite gaming characters and one of my most wanted newcomers: MEGA MAN!

It was that day, that my passion for seeing Simon was set. He was to me the next big third party that i thought that should get in Smash, and he was one of my top 5 most wanted alongside K.Rool, Waluigi, Mewtwo and Little Mac.

Around July 2013, i started lurking around Smashboards, making it the first time i ever started following a game during its pre-release period, and the first time i joined Smash speculation. I went there to look who were the most talked characters!.......and Simon was not one of them.

I mean i enjoyed seeing all the enthisuasm for K.Rool, Ridley and others, but Simon measily had like.....3 or 4 pages. Hell i remember people debating wheter or not Simon was the ideal choice for a Castlevania representative.

Why was Simon, the most prominent and recurring character of a very beloved gaming franchsie in the same level as Capcom's Mega Man, barely talked about as a possible inclusion in Smash?

Well, namely 2 reasons.

First and foremost, back in the pre-Smash 4 days, Third Party talk was more conservative, people didn't talked that much about non-Nintendo characters and those who were heavily speculated were the excpetion, not the norm.

With the excpetion of Pac-Man, third parties didn't have the same following as most of the heavily supported Nintendo newcomers (like K.Rool or even Isaac). The likes of Ryu suffered the same fate as Simon, Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden was barely talked about, the likes of Crash and Bomberman were basically dead, Geno's Support was a shadow of its former Brawl self, most people gave up on Llyod when it was clear that Pac-Man was much more iconic, and there wasn't a big support for a Final Fantasy character (good luck in trying to get people to support Cloud for Smash.....in 2013-14) etc. Third Parties were talked about, but there weren't multiple big contenders as it is in more recent years.

"1 character per company" was a very prominent fan-rule during those days, and this alone killed most of Simon's support since Snake was already included. You had peole saying either Snake gets ditched and Simon gets added or that Snake stays and Simon is not allowed. Hell most people weren't even expecting Snake to return, so most people thought that why would Simon be inlcueded when they didn't even bothered to include Snake back?

Regardless of that though, i still kept hope within me, even if i dind't expected Simon to be included. I made sketches of movesets, stage ideas, and even hypothetical newcomer posters like the ones in the Smash 4 website.

However, i felt mostly isolated when it came to hype to Simon Belmont, because i barely remember anyone talking about him for the reasons stated above. I also think the state of the franchise was also an issue. It was more alive than Mega Man was, but not everybody was a fan of the Lords of Shadow games, which was the current style of Castlevania in the early 2010's.

Smash 4 speculation was a dark era for a Simon Belmont supporter. People barely talked about him and never gave him the respect he deserved.......or so i thought. The more i noticed, it seemed as if Simon's support was like a damp stain, slowly leaking (heh) people that were interesed in Simon, but not in an alarming pace.

When DLC happened, that's when i started seeing more support for Simon, and that was mostly thanks to Ryu's announcement, which single handedly KILLED the "1 character per company" fan-rule that was so prominent.

By July 2015, i joined Smashboards, and if one thing hasn't changed about me since that year, is that i was a big supporter of Simon Belmont. He was my personal choice, my most wanted character. While i supported many others like Bandanna Dee and Dixie, i supported those characters because their supporters sold me on the idea, while in Simon's case, i always supported him because I personally wanted him. I became the Owner of the Simon Belmont thread and gave it my own personal introductory post, mentioning Simon's strenghts and why he should be in Smash. This was when i became even more invested in the character, where my research helped me to believe that yes, Simon Belmont has all the qualities for an appealing character in Smash, and if there's ever gonna be a Casltevania Character, it WILL be HIM. I hoped that since that Fan-Rule was broken, more people would be on board.
Simon was still mostly a character that wasn't that talked about, mostly because a lot of supporters wanted to get Snake back first and foremost, but now i dind't felt like Snake was competition.

And yes, i voted for Simon in the Smash Ballot. By that point i was one of the most vocal Simon Belmont supporters.

However, another problem became apparent that was far, far worse.

In 2015, Konami's controversy reached its peak, where the whole Kojima fiasco was exposed and Konami became probably one of the most hated companies in that year, and the hatred can still be heard to this day.

What this meant for Simon and his supporters is that even if more fans of the Barbaric Whip-wielder came out of the woodwork, Simon (and Snake and Bomberman for that matter) were seen as borderline impossible because "Konami is EVIL" and anyone that wanted any of those characters in Smash supported Konami's bad actions (which doesn't make any sense, just because i wanted Mega Man in Smash doesn't mean i support every single thing Capcom does)

Another issue is that a lot of people were claiming Castlevania was "Dead". After Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the series entered into a hiatus that has lasted to this day (Mobile games and Pachinko Machines aside)

In the end, the Final Smash 4 Broadcast had no Simon nor Snake in Sight. Not that i expected Simon by that point, as i was convinced that he was a lost cause. For the entirity of 2016 and 2017, i didn't bothered with Smash Switch speculation. I no longer had the passion since i was burn out due to the whole Konami controversy. I didn't had the energy anymore.

That doesn't mean that i didn't keep track of what was going on though. In 2017, Bomberman became one of, if not THE most heavily Speculated Third Party newcomer for Smash, thanks to Super Bomberman R for the Nintendo Switch. This meant that Bomberman finally came back from the grave and had a recent game of its own, as opposed to Simon Belmont and Castlevania which were "Dead". However, there were a good chunk of people that were still skecptical about him due to he and his franchise beign part of Konami, and others questioned why would Sakurai go for Konami and ask for Bomberman, and yet would not even consider bringing Snake back.

In most disscussions, Bomeberman and Snake were to 2 most talked regarding Konami and Third Parties, while Simon was a third in the Konami department.

Then, in March 2018, it happened. Smash Switch was teased to the public, showcasing the Inlking staring at a big flaming Smash logo while the silhouettes of Mario and Link appeared. Smash Switch now was offical, it was coming..........in the same year it was announced. That wasn't the shocking part for me though.

Around that same month, a little fella called Vergeben said that Simon Belmont was going to be playable in Smash, alongside Ridley, the return of the Ice Climbers, and everyone was returning from Smash 4.

I actually heard of Vergeben back in November 2017, when he talked about stuff like SCVI and DMC V. There was a lot of controvery regarding the guy, but part of me was intersed in what he had to say, so much so that i kept track of his statements. I once remember thinking to myself......."You know, this guy seems to talk about a lot of Bandai-Namco related games, could he get information regarding Smash?"

Lo and behold, my though became true. Vergeben's statement of Simon became the sensation among Smash speculation. Even if you didn't believed him, talking about a character like Simon was very fresh after going back and forth with the likes of Springman or Decidueye.

This climate of Simon speculation was enough motivation for me to regain my passion for Simon and reclaim the Simon Belmont thread. Everything that i learned about Casltevania and him was put to use in my OP, where this time, i actually saw Simon was a fully plausible choice, and i went out of my way to debunk and refute any arguments against him. It felt so good seeing people talk about Simon, even if only a little.

Later down the line, Vergeben also mentioned Snake was retuning, essnetially making it a situation like with Mega Man and Ryu.

The wait for E3 was painful, no news were given, no teasers were shown, and all we could do was wait until June 12. So i did, and i saw Smash Ultimate, a game that truly deserves its subtitle. Every single character was back, and so it meant that Vergeben was right about the Icies, but that was easy to say. The
only reason they were not in Smash 4 was becuase of 3DS limitations, so they were always meant to be here.

But, what's that? Snake is back? SNAKE? even though Kojima and Konami no longer are toghether? A lot of people thought Snake wasn't gonna come back, so this was a pleasant su-IS THAT RIDLEY?

Yep, after beign brutally rejected in Smash 4, Ridley hit the BIG time in Ultimate. He always was a heavily requested character, but after Sakurai's statement aout him in Smash 4, most people lost hope.

So i only i had one question left...........where's Simon?

I was shattered, confused, frustrated that Simon was nowhere to be found. For no reason i took that as a discomfirmation, and i thought that maybe i just got hyped for no reason regarding Simon.

But even then, Vergy never said he was going to be at E3, but i was still worried. Even when Vergeben had a huge hatedom that, i still believed Vergeben to an extent.

Hell, even if Vergeben was ignored, Simon still had a lot going for him. Many of his merits became clearer than ever. He is the most prominent protagnoist of the Castlevania series, he represents the Belmont clan which is a VERY important part of the franchise, he appears in the most Casltevania games and Konami games (22 if you merge both) and he has the most games under his belt where he his the main playable hero (6 games in fact) and in most Konami crossovers like Wai Wai World and Dream Mix, he has been used as THE main and sole representative of the series.

Snake beign in Smash means that Konami is now on board, Ryu in Smash means that Third Party Companies can have more than one character, Bomberman's inclusion as an AT, while sad to me, meant that Simon no longer had competition with any other Konami character.

Even then though, you had a lot of people getting into war regarding Vergeben's statements, constatly turning into pointless flamewars. What's worse is that after E3, we didn't get a lot of news. It was basically back to Square One. At that point in time, i was legitmately expecting Simon Belmont to be playable, no regrets. It was so satisfying that for me, Simon was no longer a Pipedream, he was a legit candidate. My teenage years came and went, where i heavily dreamed for Simon in Smash, but it never materialized. But all of the sudden, it felt like an actual possibility, now it was the time, the chance, and i didn' want to let it go.

-The end. Simon Belmont makes it into Smash-

And im thankfull i didn't, because that dream finally became a reality. Simon is in Smash. It's not that i never believed that Simon could make it, is that most people around dind' seemed to believe in him. While the confirmation of other characters was like a celebration between the Smash Community, Simon's confirmation felt like a personal journey that has come to a close. I had hoped for him since i was 13, and after 5 years, that dream has become a reality.

But for me, this is just a step for another event. I have confidence that Castlevania one day, will return to its former gaming glory, just like Mega Man did with Mega Man 11 after appearing in Smash Bros.

In the same way Dracula and his Castle return to haunt during the night, Castlevania is meant to return to world of gaming one day.

I do wanna say thank you to those who were part of the Simon Belmont thread and stopped by to say hi. I always get a kick out of seeing people like the Castlevania series, thanks to Vergeben because even if he just had lucky guesses, his leaks regarding Simon helped me regain the passion i had, and thanks Sakurai for adding him.

and thank you for reading this.

-Tord The Red Leader.​
The moveset, the design (BARBARIAN SIMON FTW) the music, the stage! Everything is so wonderful!

Richter:80%

Oh yeah, Richter looks cool too.

K.Rool: 100%

This one got me by surprise, but in the best way possible. K.Rool just speaks for himself. The only bad thing is that he has a counter and that instead of Dedede, it should have been this stupid Mii.

Chrom and Dark Samus: 70%

I really don't care about either of them, but im happy for their fans (especially Chrom's, who had to suffer one of the most brutal discomfirmations in a long time)

Since Chrom is an echo of Roy (the only FE character that i usually play as) i may try him out, but im not a fan Samus's playstyle some im not gonna play as DS.

Overall, this is the best Direct of Smash, beating every single other Smash-related Direct by a large landslide. I can't even mention every single detail because otherwise i would be here all day long.

Last edited by a moderator:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
From worst to best.

Chrom: 50%. Neither positive or negative about him. He's a bit bland for me, but at the same time I'm glad he got his chance after Smash 4. Went with 50 for his fans, which got screwed over last time.

Richter: 70%. Had no idea who this guy was before, but I like him.

Dark Samus: 90%. One of the best echoes they could've gone with imo.

Simon: 95%. Never played Castlevania before but his moveset and stage all look amazing.

King K. Rool: 100%. He made it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Simon Belmont / 100%: Not a Castlevania fan, but I'm excited for the move-set alone. (i.e. spamming the whip across Final Destination.
Richter/Dark Samus/Chrom/ 100%: Why not be excited for Echoes? Don't take development time and pad out an already splendid roster. Perhaps I just enjoy the way they soaked up four minutes of the Smash direct instead of Global Smash Power: Director's Cut.
King K. Rool / 100%: T H E K I N G H A S C A M E, S A W A N D C O N Q U E R E D T H I S D I R E C T.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
First of all, I have to say that Belmont trailer was awesome. They killed Luigi! He's dead! These gifs will see so much use.

The King K Rool trailer was cute, but not as amazing as the Belmont trailer.

Trailer satisfaction: Belmonts 100%, K Rool 75%

Stage satisfaction: 97%
With the additional of Battlefield forms (while I think they should be called alpha forms, I understand that uppercase alpha just looks like A, so it wouldn't work as well as uppercase Ω) and the hazard toggle, there's not much more they could do to satisfy me. I might've picked a different stage here and there (I would've enjoyed Poke Floats returning) but if anything I'd cut the number of stages tbh!

Modes and options: 80%
Still waiting on the single player modes (would love to see Break the Targets and Board the Platforms!), but Final Smash meter, Squad Strike, etc. and all that look cool. Much better ideas than Smash Tour.

I also hope we can arrange fighters and stages by series as well as by debut order.

Character satisfaction:

K Rool: 100%
Good job with the references, covering the boss battles in DKC 1, 2, 3, DKL and DK64. Stomach Attack is weird and not based on anything, but tbh there aren't that many "special worthy" attacks to use after you do the Blunderbuss, crown throw and helicopter pack.

Simon Belmont: 100%
Shows uniqueness, uses iconic subweapons, I prefer the NES design to the bishonen design. Just hope we see a red-black-white Simon's Quest palette swap because Simon's Quest was my first Castlevania game.

Richter Belmont: 60%
Would've made sense to have another Belmont as an alt like Alph, but with Echoes being a thing, having an Echo is fine too. The main thing was to have Simon, but Symphony of the Night was my second Castlevania game and he's playable in that, so I'm cool with this. Curious to see what actually distinguishes him.

I wonder what the ranged boi means for Corrin. Poor boy got his title taken as farthest reaching F-Smash already.
Corrin had the longest reach on an uncharged f-smash. Pretty sure mah boy Mega Man still has the farthest reaching f-smash overall (when charged). But I guess with the new training mode, we'll be able to precisely measure them all!

Dark Samus: 70%
Dark Samus was never one of my most wanted, and she would've been no substitute for Ridley. But given that we already have Ridley, she's cool. I think that Final Smashes are so trivial when it comes to character balancing that they really have the freedom to do whatever they want with them and the only cost is the effort of rendering them. It doesn't add to the balancing workload really. So it would've been cool if she'd had some Phaaze-based FS, but tbh Dark Samus actually uses a giant beam attack in a Metroid game and Samus doesn't, so it fits her better than Samus. The hovering movement is cool too. Curious to see what else is different aside from a different dash and roll. I hope there's at least one move as distinct as Chrom's up-B.

Chrom: 35%
He is an Echo of a decloned clone of a character I don't care about.
He is the fourth blue-haired sword lord from a series that's already overrepresented.

So you know, he doesn't make me happy. But the fact that he's just an Echo AND I've already gotten four characters I really wanted to see (Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K Rool) makes me more meh than angry.

If they get a full newcomer AND a clone after getting two full newcomers and a clone in Smash 4, I'll be annoyed. But as it is, it's whatever.
For anyone who's annoyed by Fire Emblem representation [...] keep in mind this is a series with a massive amount of well-liked characters with ready fighting potential. Besides playable characters, Fire Emblem has actually been kind of underepresented. We have a light sword, heavy sword, a sword/mage mix, and clones/semiclones that didn't take much effort to add.
(You kinda forgot Corrin, which I'd say is some sort of mixture of sword, lance, magic/dragon.) While I agree that the particular roster doesn't represent the diversity of Fire Emblem characters that well, I disagree that four unique characters would mean Fire Emblem is underrepresented. If you got rid of all the clones (Roy, Lucina, Chrom), it would still have one of the higher ratios of characters to sales. There's no way to say that Fire Emblem is underrepresented, IMO.

I mean, it's fine to say you like the series and think it has enough to offer that it deserves more representation relative to its sales. I'd even agree with that. Nobody would say you should look purely at sales. Nobody would say, hey Wii Fit sold a huge 40 million copies, so they should make male and female WFT separate characters because it "deserves more reps". I obviously wouldn't advocate that. So, of course, you also have to consider the variety of characters and their individual importance, popularity, and moveset potential. FE will always have more potential fighters (see: FE Warriors roster) and at some point you have to say "this series isn't so popular it deserves almost as much representation as Pokemon, a series with hundreds of millions of copies sold, a massive TV, movie and toy franchise and over 2 billion dollars in revenue from a freemium app". If we had exhausted the potential of more popular and high-selling franchises, then maybe it would make sense to complain that FE only has four unique characters. But we haven't reached that point yet and probably never will (b/c uh, we're already at over 70 characters and we still haven't...). The annoyance comes from seeing that DK and Metroid had some perfectly obvious and worthy inclusions that were passed over, giving them zero new characters, to give Fire Emblem, a series less popular and iconic than either, three newcomers.
Or going "FIRE EMBLEM HAS AS MANY CHARACTERS AS DONKEY KONG AND METROID COMBINED" when DK and Metroid have:
  • Six unique characters (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, King K. Rool, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Ridley)
  • An echo (Dark Samus)
is a pretty bad comparison. Unless you really think fully developing King K. Rool or Ridley took as much time as essentially slapping a Chrom model on Roy. Quit playing the victim card.
So Fire Emblem has four unique characters, yet DK has three. Consider that Donkey Kong Country 1, across the SNES, GBC and GBA platforms, sold about as many copies as the entire Fire Emblem series. Metroid has also significantly outsold Fire Emblem overall, yet still has fewer unique characters. Its hard to see how having almost 7 times the sales as FE doesn't correlate with significantly more popularity. Even just considering since the Wii (if you want to say the FE is more relevant and DK's 90s heyday is long gone), DK has still sold over twice as many games and Metroid isn't that far behind FE. I understand FE fans are passionate, but the DK series has literally millions more people who have bought and played its games. Is it really so hard for you people to just admit that Fire Emblem is overrepresented by comparison? Quit being so defensive. Why can't you be satisfied with how FE has gotten so much representation while being a far smaller series than many others?

Last edited:

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
If they get a full newcomer AND a clone after getting two full newcomers and a clone in Smash 4, I'll be annoyed. But as it is, it's whatever.
(You kinda forgot Corrin, which I'd say is some sort of mixture of sword, lance, magic/dragon.) While I agree that the particular roster doesn't represent the diversity of Fire Emblem characters that well, I disagree that four unique characters would mean Fire Emblem is underrepresented. If you got rid of all the clones (Roy, Lucina, Chrom), it would still have one of the higher ratios of characters to sales. There's no way to say that Fire Emblem is underrepresented, IMO.
RIP me, yes I did forget to mention Corrin. But like you said, magic/dragon.
I didn't mean underrepresented with regards to playable characters, I meant it comparatively has fewer stages, items, Assist Trophies, and the like. I don't think anyone could argue the number of playable character is too low. Maybe I didn't make that clear enough. All I was trying to say is that Fire Emblem lends itself well to easy playable characters, while the supposed bias doesn't so up too much in other aspects of the game.
I understand people who want more reps from other series like DKC and Zelda. I do as well. It just feels like people get a little too hung up over just a number, especially when three of those don't fully count and the others all bring fairly unique characteristics.
Sorry that I wasn't clearer, I'm not accustomed to people actually reading my ramblings on this thread. :laugh:

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool: 100%
He's my most wanted character since Diddy got in Brawl. Am happy to finally have him back. This makes his return in DKC even likelier. The reveal also couldn't be more awesome. Still in shock he's in...

Chrom: 80%
Cool he got his chance. Really liked Chrom in Awakening, strong leader and good character especially for a Blue Haired Sword Lord lol. The choice to Echo him from Roy is a unique one. I would've thought they would pick Ike first, but seeing it makes more sense. Chrom also stands symbol of new hope for Echoes not being as uninspired as say, Dark Pit. So that's also cool. Also.. I totally called this.

Simon Belmont: 60%
Played only a little Castlevania, now I wanna play more. Most hype I felt for a new 3rd party character ever honestly.

Richter: N/A
Didn't know his existence till now. Cool he's an Echo of Simon tho.

Dark Samus: 40%
Not a big fan, but her fans have been loyal so can't feel bad. Just don't care too much personally. More Echoes is great however.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
100% for everyone.

I love the two new characters we got in Simon and K. Rool, and I'm really happy for the fans of Richter, Chrom and Dark Samus that get to play their favorite characters as well.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
So Fire Emblem has four unique characters, yet DK has three. Consider that Donkey Kong Country 1, across the SNES, GBC and GBA platforms, sold about as many copies as the entire Fire Emblem series. Metroid has also significantly outsold Fire Emblem overall, yet still has fewer unique characters. Its hard to see how having almost 7 times the sales as FE doesn't correlate with significantly more popularity. Even just considering since the Wii (if you want to say the FE is more relevant and DK's 90s heyday is long gone), DK has still sold over twice as many games and Metroid isn't that far behind FE. I understand FE fans are passionate, but the DK series has literally millions more people who have bought and played its games. Is it really so hard for you people to just admit that Fire Emblem is overrepresented by comparison? Quit being so defensive. Why can't you be satisfied with how FE has gotten so much representation while being a far smaller series than many others?
That's perfectly fine if you aren't content with Fire Emblem having four unique characters, I'm just saying that people who say Fire Emblem has seven characters and that they completely outclass nearly everyone else in terms of effort in development time.
Although, if the sales argument held any merit, the Smash Bros. series would probably just be Mario and Pokemon: the Fighting Game.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My satisfaction rating? What kind of question is that? This direct was the absolute single greatest direct of all time, and the way all the reveals were executed was flawless.

Simon Belmont now owns my opinion for single greatest Smash Bros trailer of all time, spawning a meme and some of the coolest CG cinematics I've seen in a long time. That's not even saying anything about how Richter being included opens the door for other third parties to have an echo rep for the same series (Shadow is that you?).

Chrom being added as an echo fighter is due diligence I think, and since I have a friend that loves him to death I'm happy he was added. Dark Samus wasn't very exciting for me since I saw it coming, but after watching ESAM get hype and show off some interesting changes that make her better than normal Samus I'm interested to see how she plays.

As for the King, I'm not as excited as most simply because I thought it was a 100% certainty that we'd be getting him after Ridley was confirmed at E3. That being said, holy cow that final smash was crazy amazing. I am super excited for all of his supporters, which I know there's a lot of you, and let's hope that Shovel Knight being added as an AT means Shantae at least gets the same treatment.

I rate 100% for all characters and the direct as a whole.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Been a while....

Satisfaction Ratings, in order of their reveal in the Direct

Simon Belmont-80%
Have very little experience with Castlevania, but the reveal was still pretty hype despite the leaks pretty much adding some expectations to the character's reveal. With that said he looks like he could be a real fun character to use with his zoning pressure. Simon makes his debut alongside Samus to complete the Metroidvania.

Richter-30%
A much lower score because it feels sort of unnecessary to add him in, though he is an echo fighter and the explanation is that Simon does borrow attacks from Richter so I guess. Richter is still a pretty important character to the Castevania series from my understanding so I guess he does have his merits.

Chrom-50%
Wasn't really surprised tbh. He sort of got shafted pretty hard in the last game especially since both his potential wife (or bro) and daughter got in Smash and he just sort of sat in the sidelines. Interesting that he's an echo of Roy (a clone of a clone lul) but also borrows a move from Ike. But it does feel right that he's in alongside Robin and Lucina now. With that said I use both Ike and Roy (sometimes Lucina as well) fairly often when playing so it is likely I'll possibly fit Chrom into my rotations as well.

Dark Samus-100%
If anyone knows me, I'm sure this score is no surprise. I've wanted Dark Samus in the game since Brawl and she's been my top 2 most wanted for ages! She missed her prime opportunity (no pun intended) in Brawl and was relegated to an assist in Smash 4, going into this game I've all but given up on ever seeing her become playable at all. Then they introduced Echo Fighters, then Samus's alt was changed, then we never saw her assist trophy and now, here we are. They could've cut the entire presentation to just a 2 second clip of them confirming Dark Samus and called it a day and I would've been just as satified with the presentation. That's how happy I am right now.
First of all, SHE LOOKS ****ING AMAZING!!! Her animations are smooth AF. Her idle stance is just so cool. Her victory pose with the Dark Echo. That Dark Blue and purple alt that's on the smash website. MAN! While I do have to admit I am disappointed that she's just an echo fighter because I know better than most people just how much potential she could bring to the table, and how much of her abilties are not being taken advantage of, I really do understand that it was this or nothing at all. She's in the game, she's playable, that's what counts right now. And despite my objections, it really does make a lot of sense for her to be an echo fighter. Like seriously, not just because she's proportionally identical to Samus but she's by far the most appropriate character possible to be an 'Echo' fighter given Prime 2 Echoes and her ability to split into clones of herself called Dark Echoes.

And for one final cherry on top of this phazon corrupted cake....Dark Samus Amiibo!!! *drools*

I'll be grabbing that and the Ridley Amiibo *drools again* day 1! Mark my words!!

King K Rool-70%
Not particularly an avid fan of the DKC series as much as a lot of people are, but being a Ridley fan and supporter myself I know how it feels to be dissappointed time and time again only to get what you've been waiting for for so long. And I do have to admit, he looks good. Real good. We did need more heavyweights and seemingly he's going to be a heavyweight with a counter. Sounds like he may be a fun character to mess around with since I do play around with a few of the heavies on the roster for fun.

But I do have to say probably one the of the best things about his reveal....was actually his reveal!:ultkingdedede:hmmm....that's not the King I was expecting....

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My satisfaction ratings:

Simon Belmont - 100%

Huge Castlevania fan, and my most wanted third party newcomer outside of Geno's whole situation. Regardless of how much I hate the Vergeben "leaks", I wanted this to desperately be true. I've played a ton of the original NES Castlevania games, especially the first one, so Simon Belmont is as important as Mega Man to me as a person who loves classic NES games. His kit looks really cool, and I can't believe the amount of care and attention paid to representing the series in Smash. Dracula's Castle stage is a huge love letter to Castlevania fans with all of the amazing looking bosses and content. Simon plays exactly as I would expect him to as well. Absolutely satisfied with him as a newcomer.

Richter Belmont - 100%

Unexpected, but like I said, I'm a huge Castlevania fan and he represents the later games that I also enjoy. If I can't just straight up have Alucard as playable, then I'll gladly take him as an Echo. He's the perfect Echo for Simon to have and represents another great moment of fan service.

Chrom - 75%

I'm not a fan of Chrom and did not see him as all that likely in the game even as an Echo. That said, Sakurai indicated that he was highly requested and I'm all for people getting their desired characters into the game. So I'm glad that he could get in for them. He also seems to play by different rules than we first thought Echo fighters had to, so I also like him for breaking the limits we thought we had on them before. Plus, in my own dark sense of humor, I enjoy the salt of people now screaming SEVEN FIRE EMBLEM characters despite how much Lucina and now Chrom just don't count (I DO wish that we could have gotten a Lyn or a more unique rep to help the perception with Fire Emblem, but that clearly doesn't seem to be an issue for Sakurai)

Dark Samus - 95%

My most wanted Echo as with Ridley taking a playable role, I didn't see any chance for it to have a playable role in this same game otherwise. I kind of wish that it had been given one of the more unique abilities from the assist trophy or something, but I have to say that the design of Dark Samus is amazing, as is the idle animation of the sort of floating. I love what they've managed to do with Dark Samus regardless of what unique moves it could have.

King K Rool - 101%

My most wanted newcomer, and a character who manages to fit and represent every game he's been in absolutely perfectly. I was ecstatic and so happy to see him finally make it as a playable character in Smash. Truly amazing to see both him and Ridley make it in.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
The Newbies

Simon-Never played Castlevania and Simon's Ultimate design kinda irks me. He looks like Jaime Lannister after taking steroids. But he looks very interesting to play as and hey. More franchises the better.

Richter-Never heard of Richter, but I'm liking more Echos. Neutral on this one.

Chrom-I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a smile seeing Chrom in. I was always against seeing Chrom as an echo and thought he should just be a Lucina reskin. But honestly, at this point I don't really care. Chrom's in and that's good.

Dark Samus-Eh... Dark dopplegangers are getting bland tbh. Though, at least this one has interesting animations.

King K. Rool-Yes. Yes. And YES! Never played a single DK game but good god, K. Rool's design. (More specifically, that voluptuous belly o' his.) Made him one of my baes. Seriously, that belly is a treasure <3.

The Fallen

Ashley-Never really knew who Ashley was. But it is sad to see such a big character go out in such a pitiful way.

Mimikyu-Eh... This makes Incineroar more likely so I don't really mind.

Other

No Endless Ocean stage or assist in sight... ;w; cmon sakurai pwetty pwease? just an assist maybe?

Music selection is top notch.

The new assists are very interesting now. Wonder where Kappn'ns taking them.

Stage Morph is a fascinating idea.

I love all the other modes too. It'll certainly spice up the gameplay.

Overall

Great Direct. Can't wait for the next one.

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Been away for awhile...but I'm back! Hope all you RTC peeps are doing well. Just had to pop in and rate these character reveals.

Simon: 80%

This would've been much lower had K. Rool not also been shown, lol. But having both, I'm perfectly fine having this guy in the game. In fact, I'm actually pretty interested in playing him--he looks fun! Plus, I've already bought and started the original Castlevania to familiarize myself with him.:)

Richter: 80%

Sure, why not? Seems like a less beefy, cooler version of Simon. I have literally zero attachment to him (even less than Simon--at least I knew who Simon was, lol) but He seems to have a pretty cool personality--his victory pose sold me on him.

Chrom: 60%

Again, why not? But I'm really quite disinterested in him, truth be told. It's neat that he's a Roy/Ike hybrid, but there's only so many times I want to use Marth's moveset. Would've been cooler as a faster Ike moveset. But I am happy for those that wanted to see him get his chance, so an extra 10% he gets.

Dark Samus: 80%

Cool addition, and the first time Samus has gotten cloned. I like playing Samus, and this is basically an edgy (and hopefully more powerful) Samus. I approve.

K. Rool: 100%

...Clearly, lol. I mean, do I need to explain it? There could not have been a better, more emotional, action-packed way to finally add the King to Smash. Beyond happy with his inclusion.

All around, I give this whole group of reveals a solid 95%. A great mix of crowd pleasers, and somewhat less megaton inclusions that seem much more acceptable with the showstopper. Very well handled.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
King K. Rool: 100%
He was my most wanted newcomer of all, and now I am glad he is in.

Dark Samus: 90%
I always thought it would be cool to see her as a character in Smash, playable, that is. I am satisfied to see her in.

Chrom: 45%
Pretty much neutral on him.

Richter Belmont: 50%
Neutral on him as well.

Simon Belmont: 85%
It's cool that he made it in, and I am willing to give Simon a chance when the game comes out.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
That's perfectly fine if you aren't content with Fire Emblem having four unique characters, I'm just saying that people who say Fire Emblem has seven characters and that they completely outclass nearly everyone else in terms of effort in development time.
Who's actually arguing that Lucina, Roy and Chrom take just as much development time? I haven't seen that.

(However, since Roy is merely a semi-clone at this point, it's worth noting that he takes nearly as much time to balance as any other character.)
Although, if the sales argument held any merit, the Smash Bros. series would probably just be Mario and Pokemon: the Fighting Game.
ANY merit?

I think I was pretty clear in saying that sales aren't everything. But there's a pretty clear correlation between sales and number of characters in the game. It's not a perfect linear correlation, but it's there. The two series with the most reps have by far the highest sales. The next highest selling is Mii/Wii Sports stuff, but as I said, you have to consider character potential, and three types of Mii Fighters covers it pretty well. Fire Emblem is an outlier, but Zelda is the next highest selling series and the next largest roster. Meanwhile, 9/13 first party series with only one character don't have much potential for any other characters (Wii Fit, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, Ice Climber, R.O.B.) or have lower lifetime sales, <6 mil (Ice Climber, R.O.B., Xenoblade, Punch-Out, Pikmin, F-Zero). And of series with <7 mil in lifetime sales, 6/8 have only 1 rep (Earthbound and Kid Icarus being the exceptions). And that's just ones that are in the game. Others like Excite racing, Rhythm Heaven, Wars, Golden Sun, Pilot Wings, Fossil Fighters, Starfy, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, etc... have 0 reps. So of the 25 Nintendo series I could get sales figures for that sold less than 7 million copies, 17 have zero reps, 6 have one and 2 have two.

Of 18 series with more than 10 million in unit sales... ALL of them have reps with only three exceptions: Nintendogs, Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. Which are pretty obvious why they don't have any reps.

So I dunno, seems like sales have some merit in predicting representation.

I really don't know why so many people on here make the ridiculous false dichotomy that either sales are everything or they're nothing. They are pretty clearly related. Presumably this is more because sales are related to the popularity of characters and series, which is the more important factor (although Wii Fit Trainer shows that sometimes they might want to represent a high-selling series even if it's not one people are clamoring for).

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Simon Belmont: 90%
I expected Simon ever since we saw Konami was back on board and especially after the music mishap, and honestly I wasn't disappointed in his inclusion. His design looks good, the debut trailer looked great with a lot of funny and awesome moments, and the way the series was adapted was excellent (great music choices, great monster choices, the stage looks great, etc.). I may not have been surprised, but I was still happy to see what we got.

Richter Belmont: 100%
The best way I can describe Richter would be a longshot want. Rondo of Blood is one of my favorite Castlevania games and he is the central protagonist of it, so I always had much more of an attachment to him then I did Simon, but I assumed that due to the latter's legacy he of course would take precedence if he got in Smash. Cue my surprise and excitement when the day Simon Belmont was revealed Richter came along with him, complete with everything I loved about the character and more. He's by far my favorite of the Echoes and I look forward to playing as him even more then Simon.

Chrom: 75%
I'm really happy for his fans, after Smash 4 Chrom's chances of ever being in Smash looked dire and despite that they pushed for the chance for their favorite lord to be playable and managed to succeed. He may not be a character I'm invested in, but I'm completely fine with his inclusion.

Dark Samus: 95%
And here's another Echo that I love seeing in the game. While I do wish she could've been more unique, what they did with the character still manages to capture a lot of what made her so memorable in the first place. Her creepy design, her otherworldly movements and animations, and the changes done to her moves really do a good job of translating the character into Smash with the restrictions placed on her distinction, and I look forward to playing her as well as soon as the game is out.

King K. Rool (along with Ridley) is one of my favorite Nintendo villains. While DK64 is very criticized nowadays due to its flaws, I still loved the game as a kid and played it to completion, and part of the reason for that was King K. Rool. From the first scene I loved the silly, yet menacing Kremling King and over the course of the game I enjoyed the scenes he appeared in and the boss fight he brought at the end. So of course once Brawl came into play, I supported him (and Diddy as he was my favorite Kong) to become playable, and after over a decade of wanting him, having him join the roster the way he did couldn't have been more perfect. I'm really happy with how he was introduced, and I'm happy in how he was implemented, I can not ask for more for him and he's definitely a co-main alongside Ridley once Ultimate comes out.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Simon: 90%
Awesome trailer and Simon fits in perfectly with the rest of the Nintendo cast.

Richter: 90%
I'm usually against excessive 3rd party newcomers though Richter looks really fun.

Dark Samus: 70%
Pretty cool to see added.

Chrom: 50%
Mixed thoughts on this. On one hand it's nice to see him since he's highly requested, but on the other hand we now essentially have 4 Marths. Also his inclusion hurts Celica's chances who is one of my most requested newcomers.

K. Rool: 100%
Completely deserved considering his reputation and the Dedede fakeout was hilarious.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Who's actually arguing that Lucina, Roy and Chrom take just as much development time? I haven't seen that.
As far as I can tell, anyone who still believes that "slots" or "reps" is a thing. You'd be surprised.
ANY merit?

I think I was pretty clear in saying that sales aren't everything. But there's a pretty clear correlation between sales and number of characters in the game. It's not a linear correlation, but it's there. The two series with the most reps have by far the highest sales. The next highest selling is Mii/Wii Sports stuff, but as I said, you have to consider character potential, and three types of Mii Fighters covers it pretty well. Fire Emblem is an outlier, but Zelda is the next highest selling series and the next largest roster. Meanwhile, 9/13 first party series with only one character don't have much potential for any other characters (Wii Fit, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, Ice Climber, R.O.B.) or have lower lifetime sales, <6 mil (Ice Climber, R.O.B., Xenoblade, Punch-Out, Pikmin, F-Zero). And of series with <7 mil in lifetime sales, 6/8 have only 1 rep (Earthbound and Kid Icarus being the exceptions). And that's just ones that are in the game. Others like Excite racing, Rhythm Heaven, Wars, Golden Sun, Pilot Wings, Fossil Fighters, Starfy, Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo, Sin & Punishment, etc... have 0 reps. So of the 25 Nintendo series I could get sales figures for that sold less than 7 million copies, 17 have zero reps, 6 have one and 2 have two.

Of 18 series with more than 10 million in unit sales... ALL of them have reps with only three exceptions: Nintendogs, Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. Which are pretty obvious why they don't have any reps.

So I dunno, seems like sales have some merit in predicting representation.
Yeah, that was bad wording on my part. It's pretty obvious why Pokemon and Mario have more playable characters than a franchise like say, Kid Icarus. My b. Sales do indeed have an effect on characters chosen.

I feel like something to consider though is how Fire Emblem is always changing around its main character though, which is why we get a lot of them in Smash; for marketing purposes. It's why we got Roy in Melee, Ike in Brawl, Robin / Lucina / Corrin in Smash 4.

It isn't like Donkey Kong where the games are always going to have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, or Zelda where the games are always going to have Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. The reason we have so many right now is simply because the "Everyone is here!" thing kind of just requires them to be present, with popularity preventing people from being cut. Popularity brought Roy back, kept Ike in Smash 4, and allowed Chrom to come in now.

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Direct Newcomer Satisfaction

Simon: 100%

Excellent third party choice. I've been getting into Castlevania a little recently and have also realized Simon was basically everything I wanted in a new third party. Unique, iconic, close to Nintendo character I like? Yes please. He looks really fun and I'm loving how much love Castlevania is getting. Very happy he's classic Simon, too.

Richter: 50%

A little bit more iffy on him, if only because I still kind of would like only one character per third party franchise even if it's one I like, but ah well. He looks cool at least, and I do kind of like how completely unexpected this was. I'll probably use him some.

Chrom: 80%

Completely fine with another Fire Emblem character, and I supported him until the bitter end last game, so it's nice to see him finally get his chance, especially with how it ended last time. I like playing as the Fire Emblem characters anyway, so I'll be using him some. Still a bit surprised we've ended up getting all of Awakening's main trio in the end, though :p

Dark Samus: 100%

Hard to believe I'm this excited for an echo, but I really like Dark Samus and I think she looks great even as a clone. Plus, my ideal Metroid representation has always been Samus/Zero Suit Samus/Ridley/Dark Samus, and I fully expected to not get either newcomer when the game was revealed, so the fact that both makes me very, very happy.

Duh. My most wanted Nintendo character, probably my favorite Nintendo villain, my ballot vote, and therefore my favorite reveal thus far. I did think he'd possibly get in but I didn't expect him this early. I'm thrilled though. The trailer was amazing, and his moves are absolutely perfect. I couldn't have asked for anything better here. So happy he finally made the cut and I can't wait to play as him.

Fantastic direct overall! I'm loving just about everything that was announced yesterday. This really seems like it's going to be the best one yet and I can't wait.

Klimax

Smash Ace
Simon: 100%
While i wasn't that hyped at first because i though that his design was too 80's, i'm happy that he's in the game. Castlevania is a monument in video game history, Simon's graphic update looks great and he seems fun to play. And his trailer was sick as hell !

Richter: 100%
What a surprise that was, damn ! I though the Castlevania's representation was going to focus on the first two games.

Chrom: 100%
I got introduced to the FE franchise with Awakening, so i love Chrom (wasn't sad that he didn't make it in Smash 4 because i wanted Lucina and i knew that we could only have one of them). Cool to see that he gets his chance now !

Dark Samus: /
I don't care at all but that's cool for people who love her.

King K Rool: 100%
After 15+ years of wanting him, he's finally announced, i'm so happy, i can't even describe it. It still feels unreal to me haha !

D

Deleted member

Man i love sharing my unpopular opinions

Simon 50%
I was not mad but not my first choice happy for his fans

Rickard 0%
He said my opinion "You don't belong in this world monster!!!!!

Chrome 90%
It took long enough and the mix of all fire emblem characters is cool

Dark Samus 60%
thats cool i gess

King k rool 101% YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troykv

Smash Master
As far as I can tell, anyone who still believes that "slots" or "reps" is a thing. You'd be surprised.

Yeah, that was bad wording on my part. It's pretty obvious why Pokemon and Mario have more playable characters than a franchise like say, Kid Icarus. My b. Sales do indeed have an effect on characters chosen.

I feel like something to consider though is how Fire Emblem is always changing around its main character though, which is why we get a lot of them in Smash; for marketing purposes. It's why we got Roy in Melee, Ike in Brawl, Robin / Lucina / Corrin in Smash 4.

It isn't like Donkey Kong where the games are always going to have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong, or Zelda where the games are always going to have Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf. The reason we have so many right now is simply because the "Everyone is here!" thing kind of just requires them to be present, with popularity preventing people from being cut. Popularity brought Roy back, kept Ike in Smash 4, and allowed Chrom to come in now.
Yeah... and in Fire Emblem the appeal of the game is pretty much the characters and the Grind SRPG Gameplay.

In other games a lot more stuff that is memorable and deserves to appear in Smash (It seems we just got Killing Edge because Fire Emblem needed something not character-wise after being in the series for so long).

Talking about that; would we get more FE Assist Trophies? I would love to see which characters would they select.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Oh yeah, one last note for thinking about which characters to re-rate... Lip's Stick has been confirmed to return. Which I would say hurts Lip's already modest chances, but doesn't outright disconfirm her.

Yeah, I've seen people talking about slots and reps, but that's not the same as talking about dev time. Nobody who complained about Lucina complained that she required a ton of dev time. Or I mean, maybe someone did, but you're talking about one or two twits.
I... do consider that?
Also, Chrom doesn't do much for marketing at this point.

But it's not like Donkey Kong hasn't had any games recently. Tropical Freeze was the same year as Smash 4 and the Switch version was released 3 months ago and has apparently already sold more copies than the Wii U version, almost 2 million copies. Giving an extra push to Donkey Kong wouldn't be the worst idea either if you're talking about marketing.

Of course, K Rool doesn't help there much since he doesn't appear in Tropical Freeze...

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
100%
King K. Rool
Simon
Richter - I'll probably choose him over Simon because he seems cooler imo.

Dark Samus, Abstain
I think I'll pick her over regular Samus because her movement seems more elegant.

75%
Chrom - Lol at M2k wanting to pick him up.

Yeah I'm a huge FE fan and this pick is bad. The roster in general is bad. If I'd had some say I would have added Celica as a Robin echo or Lyn as a new character. Chrom brings nothing new, overrepresents one single game in a series with soon to be 16 games, and furthers the false notion that FE is only blue haired anime sword boys. Sakurai is a fan of FE so I'm confused at how we ended up with such a boring roster. Marth, Ike, (Roy), Lyn or Hector, Robin, Azura, and Celica was a perfectly doable scenario and I'm sure if we'd gotten something like that over the years FE wouldn't have such a bad rap in Smash circles atm.
Sakurai said so himself that we had "too many Fire Emblem characters!" in an interview. (this one) So I think he's pretty aware of the danger of saturating fire emblem representation with the blues.
Judging by the King K. Rool fake out with Dedede Nintendo seems to have a good pulse on the Smash community. I feel they would be aware that with Chrom they are both pleasing and disappointing many fans at once. They had to do Chrom since the Smash 4 thing, so they might be saving a unique fire emblem pick for later as the big one to top this smash direct.

Though, that depends on how many character spots are left.
If fire emblem gets another I think it would be the most popular whoever that is. Someone who would get everyone excited.
I was never behind King K. Rool or Belmont, but those trailers got me excited and I could immediately see where people were coming from.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
My satisfaction scores for the newly revealed fighters:

Simon Belmont: 65%

I felt he was pretty likely following Vergeben's early comments, and with the leak that happened the night before, it became clear Simon would be revealed. I was expecting him to be the reveal at the end of the Direct, not at the beginning, so you can imagine my surprise when the Direct began with his reveal trailer. It turned out to be pretty good too. Luigi straight up died at one point, and it was shocking. Simon's entrance was pretty cool too.

Moveset-wise, he definitely looks quite interesting with the use of whip and how it gives him more range with most of his attacks and some interesting specials. Not sure if he'll be someone that I'll use a lot, especially since bulky fighters aren't usually what I play (he definitely gives me the impression that he's a heavy weight), but I'll try him out. Dracula's Castle is a pretty cool stage though, and the fact we're getting 34 tracks from the Castlevania series is very sweet. Konami seems to be quite approachable with Smash this time around, with this much Castlevania content and the inclusion of three third party characters from its company.

Overall, I'd say Simon was a good inclusion.

Richter Belmont: 50%

Okay, I did not expect Simon would get an Echo. Since I haven't played the Casltlevania games nor even heard of Richter prior to his reveal (the only other Belmont I was familiar with was Trevor), I didn't care for his inclusion. However, him sharing Simon's moveset still makes me interested in me giving him a try. Richter being added as a third party Echo also makes me interested in seeing other third party echoes (i.e. Ken being a Ryu Echo, and Shadow being a Sonic Echo).

Chrom: 100%

I was very fond of Chrom since I first got into Fire Emblem from playing Awakening (to the point he is still my favorite lord), and Chrom was even my second most wanted for Smash in the months leading up to Smash 4's release. I still remember how devastated I was watching Chrom's brutal deconfirmation during Robin's trailer as a huge Chrom fan, followed by his harsh treatment by Palutena and Viridi in Robin's Palutena's Temple codec, and all of that made me want to see him playable in Smash just so I can see him finally get the respect he deserved. When the Echo fighters were first revealed, my interest in Chrom definitely returned at that time, seeing how Chrom would fit perfectly for that role as an Ike Echo.

And with yesterday's Direct, you can imagine just how I was seeing my man Chrom finally getting his time to shine as a playable fighter! I screamed from excitement when I saw the news! I was even more surprised to see him being a Roy Echo instead of an Ike Echo, but his moveset changes Roy's up special to Ike's.

With Chrom finally playable, I'm definitely satisfied with the Fire Emblem additions. The only Fire Emblem characters I want on the roster are Azura and/or Takumi (mostly the latter), but I doubt they'll be added at this rate.

There's no doubt Chrom will be one of my Smash Ultimate mains alongside Greninja!

Dark Samus: 50%

I don't care for the Metroid series, but I thought Dark Samus would make an interesting addition as a Samus Echo, and it looks like it happened. I don't use Samus often, but I do like what they showed of Dark Samus so far. Her animations definitely portray her in a dark and distinct fashion compared to the normal Samus. With Ridley and Dark Samus's inclusions, Metroid now feels complete in terms of Smash representation. I feel happy for the Metroid fans. Smash Ultimate is turning out to be quite a good game for them when it comes to these character additions!

King K. Rool: 60%

I don't care for the DK series, so I had no attachment to K. Rool prior to his reveal to the point I wasn't interested in seeing him included. However, I knew of his massive following for a while, so I feel very happy for K. Rool's fans now that they finally got what they wanted after such a long wait!

K. Rool's trailer turned out to be very hilarious! I laughed when King Dedede trolled Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong with his K. Rool costume since it felt like Dedede was trolling the Smash fanbase with his laughs, though at the same time, it'd be a very brutal deconfirmation seeing how it was presented, so I was hoping to see the real K. Rool come in and give Dedede a taste of his own medicine. Turned out it happened, and K. Rool's entrance was great!

His moveset looks very interesting, though I doubt I'll use him. From what I've seen of him so far, he doesn't fit my playstyle.

Still, congrats to the K. Rool fans! It's great to see one of the most requested characters for Smash since the Brawl days finally get the playable treatment his fans wanted for so long!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Satisfaction ratings

Simon Belmont himself 80%
He looks great and moveset looks pretty good. His trailer was phenomenal but I'll get to that. He was painfully obvious though. But he is a third party character I think made a lot of sense.

Richter 20%
He opened the door to Third Party echoes and I don't know how to feel it. What I do know is that I've never heard of him and he's third party, a combination I'm not really happy with. But I guess he makes sense. I know moveset for Simon often burrow from other Belmonts and Richter must be the one they pull from because it's very similar to fan movesets

Every other Castlevania content 90%
I love all these classic monsters in Smash, especially Death and Dracula. And that trailer was absolutely phenomenal. Luigi!!!!! I love the Luigi's Mansion style of everything! And I do enjoy myself a good personification of Death!!

Chrom 50%
OK fair enough, Awakening is the only Fire Emblem game I've played and I enjoyed it. He looks a bit off though, glad he's a Roy echo through.

Dark Samus 96%
This was so hype, it looks absolutely amazing!! That render especially, it's so creepy and alien, The most alien character in Smash, and they did a phenomenal job of making it feel so much like Dark Samus while still being a Samus clone.

King K Rool 100%
Everything was spot on, EVERYTHING! An awesome surprise!! I figured who it was from the villain stuff, but that buildup was awesome!! Dedede fakeout was hilarious!! Absolutely hilarious!! I really love that fakeout! And eye popping and reactions was great! And that remix!!! And the final rush down was just awesome! Felt like a climax of the ages.

And his desire!! He has his more modern and expressive face, but he has his gold belly and dark skin! Everything is absolutely amazing. He uses moves from all his boss fights!! I love it! I wanted Ridley more, and like him more, but I definitely think K Rool had the better reveal, and Ridley had a great reveal!!!

Seriously hyped.

Troykv

Smash Master
Though, that depends on how many character spots are left.
If fire emblem gets another I think it would be the most popular whoever that is. Someone who would get everyone excited.
I was never behind King K. Rool or Belmont, but those trailers got me excited and I could immediately see where people were coming from.
Well; after Lyn's deconfirmation is hard to say; but I think it would be Sakurai's chance to create the desired Fire Emblem character that isn't a Sword User.

Awakining

Smash Apprentice
Satisfaction:

Simon Belmont: 100%
- I'm a fan of Castlevania. The characters, the setting, the music, everything about the franchise is wickedly cool to me. Simon was a solid top-3 inclusion to me, and I couldn't be happier with how he turned out; if he's even half as much fun to play as he appears, I'll have a hard time switching away to enjoy my other favorites.

Richter Belmont: 80%
- I prefer Simon, but it's cool that they gave Richter's fans cause to get excited as well. Although I don't always agree with introducing a franchise via multiple representatives, Richter's inclusion doesn't bother me, and it's always nice to see a series like Castlevania get additional attention.

Chrom: 40%
- I don't like Chrom, but I'm not displeased by his inclusion. Additionally, I was happy to see that his up-special is different from Roy's, as it helps me cling to the little hope I have for certain characters' inclusion.

Dark Samus: 50%
- Metroid doesn't interest me, but Dark Samus is a good enough, if not a bit obvious, choice for an echo fighter, and I think that the Smash team did a pretty good job on displaying DS's personality and differences, given the limits inherent to such characters.

King K. Rool: 103%
- K. Rool's reveal was amazing. This is a character who I've supported for the long run (heck, this is the character who I voted for in the ballot), so even just seeing his name on an official piece of smash bros media is surreal. I was over the moon to see that the countless years of continued support from myself and many others culminated in a real difference and allowed the old croc to finally have his finest hour, and I'm still riding the the high days later.

Overall: 100%
- The direct started off phenomenally and ended with the mother of all bangs, and I loved every minute of it. Two of my top three characters were revealed that day, some of my favorite franchises received additional love (love that ramblin' evil mushroom and Klaptrap's :)), and I was fortunate enough to avoid the disappointments of deconfirmation as well. I'm also psyched for the new additions to casual play, especially the Final Smash meter and Stage Morph function, given that they all look to be solid additions to low-stakes enjoyment of the game. In summation, this was the best direct that I can remember, and I can't wait to see how Nintendo plans to follow I think up.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Simon - 100%
Awesome reveal, looks like he could be fun.
Richter - 100%
Very shocking and ground shaking reveal as it destroyed a couple smash "rules", I prefer his look over Simon's.
Chrom - 100%
Simply cause it's nice to see the character who got treated very poorly last go around get his chance.
Dark Samus -100%
This was her best shot of getting in now and she looks good for what she is.
King K Rool - 100%
I ended up with more mixed feelings with him overall. Happy for the series getting love and his fans getting their character, but what I saw of him game play wise wasn't that exciting. It's good to have him though.

Overall the Direct got me pumped enough to make a quick background with some renders of a few characters, Chrom and Richter made the cut in the end for space on it. Though I had to go to Tumblr for good renders of them, the ones on the wiki (of the newly announced) aren't quite up to stuff and got blurry when enlarged.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
:ultsimon: - 100% - Was expecting this because of the rumours/leaks, but he looks like a great addition to the cast. Definitely looking forward to playing him.
:ultrichter: - 100% - ...But Richter, on the other hand, was easily more surprising than Simon. A second Castlevania character, and none other than "Die, monster! You don't belong in this world!" himself! Richter looks just as much fun as Simon, so it's a win win.
:ultdarksamus: - 100% - Absolutely yes to her inclusion. I don't mind that she's an Echo Fighter, her animations look great and we wrap off the Metroid content with the Metroid Prime itself.
:ultchrom: - 100% - He was humiliated beyond belief in Smash 4, turned to a Final Smash assist and laughed at amongst the community. He became an edge lord in response, became the first character announced for FEW, became Santa Claus, and now he finally gets his chance. I'm happy for him and his fanbase, even if he's an Echo of Roy, but I'm okay with that.
:ultkrool: - 100% - The way they played out K. Rool's trailer really redeemed him for me, since I had some very mixed feelings about K. Rool after the end of the ballot. Thankfully, his trailer was absolutely perfect, and he's just as everyone hoped for - the Crown Toss, Blunderbuss, even the Blast-o-Matic.

All in all:
Confirm Isaac now please, I can only get so much hype before it reaches critical levels. Loved it, 10/10.

Top Bottom