• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

D

Deleted member

Banjo-Kazooie
Chance: 10%
Want: abstain

Andy
Chance: 15%
Want: abstain

Noms:
Female announcer x5

Layton prediction: 14.89%
Skull Kid prediction: 20.51%

Troykv

Smash Master
I'll abstain this time

Predictions

Layton: 12.4%
Skull Kid: 14.4%

Nominations:

Ayumi Tachibana x5
Leon Kennedy x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Banjo & Kazooie chances: 0.75%
What I wrote for their day:
They're popular, and their owner would probably be okay with them in Smash, but Nintendo? I'm more hesitant. They might be too much of a business hassle to include compared to other third-party character options.
To be completely fair I don't think that Sakurai himself will see Microsoft ownership as a deal breaker, I expect if he wants them in he'll try to; if anything problems might arise from either Microsoft themselves of from elsewhere in the Nintendo hierarchy. But the one important thing that changed is that third-party characters who are the main faces of otherwise unrepresented series appearing as Assist Trophies now has a precedent, and I suspect Steve has a higher chance as a playable Microsoft character while BK have more of a niche appeal and might end up as an Assist Trophy, and again, them having no game on Switch makes them less likely as playable characters: it's possible that the deal between Nintendo and Microsoft might settle them to a lesser role as a consolation price.

Banjo & Kazooie want: 63%
As someone who grew up with a Nintendo 64 I'm a little ashamed to admit I have no childhood connection with them. But considering their history having them in Smash might feel awesome.
I don't have anything to add.

Andy chances: 12.1%
What I wrote for his day:
Could get revived, but I imagine would be fairly low priority.
That was a short text, so I'll develop a little. The series has some historical importance and its fans, but is mostly irrelevant to the modern Nintendo era. I could imagine it being considered, but other more requested characters might get in instead. I gave a slight boost in chance considering the infantry & tanks Assist Trophy didn't appear yet.

Andy want: 28%
I guess he'd be okay, but kinda feels "whatever" to me.
I don't think I have much to add. He has some merits as a contender but he's not one I'm particularly interested in.

Professor Layton prediction: 16.33%
Skull Kid prediction: 14.58%

Nominating:
Returning game mode: Smash Run x10

I'm happy that other people are nominating this. Maybe I don't need to push it as hard as I used to anymore? It would be a good thing if somone could update the nomination list... although that's probably going to be a lot of work.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Banjo & Kazooie chances: 0.75%

To be completely fair I don't think that Sakurai himself will see Microsoft ownership as a deal breaker, I expect if he wants them in he'll try to; if anything problems might arise from either Microsoft themselves of from elsewhere in the Nintendo hierarchy. But the one important thing that changed is that third-party characters who are the main faces of otherwise unrepresented series appearing as Assist Trophies now has a precedent, and I suspect Steve has a higher chance as a playable Microsoft character while BK have more of a niche appeal and might end up as an Assist Trophy, and again, them having no game on Switch makes them less likely as playable characters: it's possible that the deal between Nintendo and Microsoft might settle them to a lesser role as a consolation price.

Banjo & Kazooie want: 63%

I don't have anything to add.

Andy chances: 12.1%

That was a short text, so I'll develop a little. The series has some historical importance and its fans, but is mostly irrelevant to the modern Nintendo era. I could imagine it being considered, but other more requested characters might get in instead. I gave a slight boost in chance considering the infantry & tanks Assist Trophy didn't appear yet.

Andy want: 28%

I don't think I have much to add. He has some merits as a contender but he's not one I'm particularly interested in.

Professor Layton prediction: 16.33%
Skull Kid prediction: 14.58%

Nominating:
Returning game mode: Smash Run x10

I'm happy that other people are nominating this. Maybe I don't need to push it as hard as I used to anymore? It would be a good thing if somone could update the nomination list... although that's probably going to be a lot of work.
How do you determine .1 of a chance?

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
BANJO & KAZOOIE- Chances 49% If Rare was still with Nintendo they would've been in the roster ages ago. Microsoft's ownership of Rare makes this an interesting situation for the duo as they are in direct competition ages ago. Although Microsoft and Nintendo have been being more friendly for each other with crossplay and Minecraft we still don't know how much they are willing to work together regarding Smash on both sides. Phil Spencer's famous tweet does help and they are one of the most common requests for characters going around so it is definitely a possibility.

Want 94% I personally feel that Banjo is the best new IP from the N64 era and having them in Smash would make so many people happy including me. The fun and quirky nature of the original duolagy would make for an incredibly fun character. I honestly hate the argument that Banjo would be too similar to Duck Hunt since there as so many elements from the games that make them stand out. The Rare games from the N64 era are too iconic to be ignored by Smash.

ANDY- Chances 39% As Ura Ura previously mentioned, the War's franchise has it's legacy going back to the Famicom in 1988 so it has an extensive history that would make it a good pick for a new character and Advance Wars is critically acclaimed as well. Also Sakurai has a really good relationship with Intelligent Systems seeing how many Fire Emblem characters we have so maybe Sakurai would love to represent their next biggest series after Paper Mario. However it has been dormant for a decade and it hasn't sold as well as other character-less IPs like Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun which have more recent entries and at this point and he has alot of more popular competition which hurts his chances especially with limited newcomers this time around.

Want 78% At first I wasn't too big on having a playable rep from this game maybe a 55% want at first. I thought maybe Sami would be kinda cool but Ura Ura 's moveset and reasons completely convinced me on how cool he could be which is why I have a higher score. As a huge Isaac supporter I relate to Advance Wars fans as we both want our character in Smash to boost popularity and interest towards our respective franchise. I'm more of a person that prefers new Nintendo franchise's being represented over already represented so I'd love his inclusion and for the Wars franchise as a whole to get more love

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Banjo want: 55%
The characters look appealing enough. That said I have no real opinion as I haven't played their game yet.
Andy want: 55%
AW is on my backlog but it's gonna take a while til I get there. This is mostly because I want to see Ura Ura lose his mind.

Leon Kennedy x5

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Banjo-Kazooie

Chance: 5% - A popular 3rd Party, whose company has openly stated that they'd be willing to work with Sakurai to get him in Smash. However, I think the best thing going for him is the Ballot, and I don't know if that'll be enough for him.

Want: 1% - I'm not a fan of adding more 3rd Parties to the roster, but he'd make for a nice addition nonetheless.

Andy

Chance: 5% - I think Andy has a lot of problems that he needs to overcome before becoming playable. I honestly think we'd be lucky to see Andy himself as an Assist Trophy. If Advance Wars ever makes a comeback, and is successful, then I can see his chances raising.

Want: 1% - He's a unique 1st Party, but one that I have no attachment to.

Nominations: Slippy Toad x10

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Andy
chance
dead series with a fanbase same company as fire emblem so getting him would be no issue
25%
want abstaing (don't know enough about him)

Banjo and Kazooie
chance
fan favorite 3rd pat with a strong history with nintendo and a big fan base and Microsoft and Nintendo are cool now but still is a lot against them
50%

want 100%
I mean come on their classic

prediciting
Professor Layton 4%
Skull Kid 18%

nominating
labo man x5
incenoroar x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Gonna give out quadruple zeroes today. One is a Microsoft-owned character, and if they were to go for Microsoft, I think Sakurai would go for Steve since he's a much bigger draw. The other is a character from an effectively dead franchise. As far as want, well, I have no attachment to either one.

Nominating Reinhardt Trophy x10

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok after reading your quote mate I have to ask, how does Duck Hunt in any way affect Banjo and Kazooie? They are literally different in every way except being animals who fight together.
Essentially

There's a lot of characters who we plan as 'Literally Different in every way,' who don't end up like that. Just see how many people in Sm4sh speculation came up with full and unique movesets for Lucina or Dark Pit. After all, Dark Pit is literally different from Pit in every way since Dark Pit has a staff, and uses that for all attacks...oh.

Not saying that they can't coexist, but the mechanic of "two characters in one" is being used by DHD. I get that one's a bear and stand upright and the other's quadruped, but I can see Sakurai's team docking points because they will have a similar concept. Of course, if BK did well enough on the ballot, then that should be moot, but if he did mediocre on the ballot, and Microsoft is giving them a choice, Minecraft seems like the more obvious path for uniqueness.
Banjo Kazooie? More liek Banjo Whooie!

If I wanted a Microsoft rep, I'd get someone that's more iconic to them like Master Chief or Clippy
Ok, if this happened I wouldn't even be mad.

"It looks like you're trying to fight Peach. Do you need some help?"

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Banjo Kazooie

Chance: 1%
Microsoft owned nyaaaaaaaa~ He's very popular for sure and may have done well in the ballot, but if we were to get a character from Microsoft, it's likely Steve in my eyes nyaaa~

Want: 70%
Opinion hasn't changed nyaa. I like the duo nya~

Andy

Chance: 5%
Opinion hasn't changed nya~ AW is dead nya.
Want: 50%
Opinion hasn't changed nya. Nyot for him, but I'm nyot nyagainst him either nyaaaaa~

Nyominations
Tingle: x10

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
BANJO & KAZOOIE- Chances 49% If Rare was still with Nintendo they would've been in the roster ages ago. Microsoft's ownership of Rare makes this an interesting situation for the duo as they are in direct competition ages ago. Although Microsoft and Nintendo have been being more friendly for each other with crossplay and Minecraft we still don't know how much they are willing to work together regarding Smash on both sides. Phil Spencer's famous tweet does help and they are one of the most common requests for characters going around so it is definitely a possibility.

Want 94% I personally feel that Banjo is the best new IP from the N64 era and having them in Smash would make so many people happy including me. The fun and quirky nature of the original duolagy would make for an incredibly fun character. I honestly hate the argument that Banjo would be too similar to Duck Hunt since there as so many elements from the games that make them stand out. The Rare games from the N64 era are too iconic to be ignored by Smash.

ANDY- Chances 39% As Ura Ura previously mentioned, the War's franchise has it's legacy going back to the Famicom in 1988 so it has an extensive history that would make it a good pick for a new character and Advance Wars is critically acclaimed as well. Also Sakurai has a really good relationship with Intelligent Systems seeing how many Fire Emblem characters we have so maybe Sakurai would love to represent their next biggest series after Paper Mario. However it has been dormant for a decade and it hasn't sold as well as other character-less IPs like Rhythm Heaven and Golden Sun which have more recent entries and at this point and he has alot of more popular competition which hurts his chances especially with limited newcomers this time around.

Want 78% At first I wasn't too big on having a playable rep from this game maybe a 55% want at first. I thought maybe Sami would be kinda cool but Ura Ura 's moveset and reasons completely convinced me on how cool he could be which is why I have a higher score. As a huge Isaac supporter I relate to Advance Wars fans as we both want our character in Smash to boost popularity and interest towards our respective franchise. I'm more of a person that prefers new Nintendo franchise's being represented over already represented so I'd love his inclusion and for the Wars franchise as a whole to get more love
Banjo want: 55%
The characters look appealing enough. That said I have no real opinion as I haven't played their game yet.
Andy want: 55%
AW is on my backlog but it's gonna take a while til I get there. This is mostly because I want to see Ura Ura lose his mind.

Leon Kennedy x5
Ahh shucks you guys! Thanks!

It's really cool to see an overlap between Advance Wars and Golden Sun fans. Given how similar their situations are and what have you.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Essentially

There's a lot of characters who we plan as 'Literally Different in every way,' who don't end up like that. Just see how many people in Sm4sh speculation came up with full and unique movesets for Lucina or Dark Pit. After all, Dark Pit is literally different from Pit in every way since Dark Pit has a staff, and uses that for all attacks...oh.

Not saying that they can't coexist, but the mechanic of "two characters in one" is being used by DHD. I get that one's a bear and stand upright and the other's quadruped, but I can see Sakurai's team docking points because they will have a similar concept. Of course, if BK did well enough on the ballot, then that should be moot, but if he did mediocre on the ballot, and Microsoft is giving them a choice, Minecraft seems like the more obvious path for uniqueness
Ok I get what you're saying but Duck Hunt is literally NES Zapper the character and they are technically a trio. There's only 2 moves they does that's like a move Banjo and Kazooie do in there games. While Sakurai does sometimes go and make things up for characters and it's possible he would make them play similarly it would be weird and not in character. I mean it would be like if Cloud and Link were clones just because they were both blonde and had swords. Or maybe it would be like if K Rool was added as a Bowser clone, it just wouldn't make sense even though they are both big reptile based villians. I get sometimes the Smash community expects uniqueness where Sakurai thinks the opposite but there are also characters that being clones would just be down right wrong unless Sakurai didn't care to be faithful.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok I get what you're saying but Duck Hunt is literally NES Zapper the character and they are technically a trio. There's only 2 moves they does that's like a move Banjo and Kazooie do in there games. While Sakurai does sometimes go and make things up for characters and it's possible he would make them play similarly it would be weird and not in character. I mean it would be like if Cloud and Link were clones just because they were both blonde and had swords. Or maybe it would be like if K Rool was added as a Bowser clone, it just wouldn't make sense even though they are both big reptile based villians. I get sometimes the Smash community expects uniqueness where Sakurai thinks the opposite but there are also characters that being clones would just be down right wrong unless Sakurai didn't care to be faithful.
Which is one of the things that makes me nervous about if Sakurai finds K.Rool and Dixie both deserving of being in, but only one of them interesting enough to give a unique moveset to. Most people are thinking of a unique Rool and a Diddy clone, which people dismiss since "Dixie can't use Diddy's moves period." I can easily see Sakurai making Dixie unique and then throwing in K.Rool as a fake Bowser, as unfitting as that would be. After all, Ganondorf finally got his sword after 16 years, before that he was slow and old Captain Falcon, which anyone who's ever played a Zelda game knows is not the case. Or Sakurai may decide the K.Rool/Dixie debate by not giving us one. Or giving us neither.

Not to say that we can't get a unique Banjo. If Banjo was part of the plan from the beginning, Sakurai would make him unique. But if Steve was in the plan from the beginning and he just wanted to quickly throw BK fans a bone, then he'd probably think closer to clone material...or just give them an assist, if anything. Or maybe Microsoft let him pick and he thought "Well, I can get this pixel character who usually uses a pickaxe (which doesn't exist in Smash...) and is currently one of the biggest games imaginable, or I could go for this retro series which is dead and buried but the fans like whose character is an animal with a bird companion (which is a character concept that we do have in Smash...)" Does he care about which would be unique in Smash? Which the fans like? Which is popular worldwide? Which will have a chance to get promoted in the future? Any combination of the above?

I tend to be more pessimistic when it comes to speculation since Sm4sh was a letdown in every possible way, and my most wanted character is a third-party pipe dream.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Which is one of the things that makes me nervous about if Sakurai finds K.Rool and Dixie both deserving of being in, but only one of them interesting enough to give a unique moveset to. Most people are thinking of a unique Rool and a Diddy clone, which people dismiss since "Dixie can't use Diddy's moves period." I can easily see Sakurai making Dixie unique and then throwing in K.Rool as a fake Bowser, as unfitting as that would be. After all, Ganondorf finally got his sword after 16 years, before that he was slow and old Captain Falcon, which anyone who's ever played a Zelda game knows is not the case. Or Sakurai may decide the K.Rool/Dixie debate by not giving us one. Or giving us neither.

Not to say that we can't get a unique Banjo. If Banjo was part of the plan from the beginning, Sakurai would make him unique. But if Steve was in the plan from the beginning and he just wanted to quickly throw BK fans a bone, then he'd probably think closer to clone material...or just give them an assist, if anything. Or maybe Microsoft let him pick and he thought "Well, I can get this pixel character who usually uses a pickaxe (which doesn't exist in Smash...) and is currently one of the biggest games imaginable, or I could go for this retro series which is dead and buried but the fans like whose character is an animal with a bird companion (which is a character concept that we do have in Smash...)" Does he care about which would be unique in Smash? Which the fans like? Which is popular worldwide? Which will have a chance to get promoted in the future? Any combination of the above?

I tend to be more pessimistic when it comes to speculation since Sm4sh was a letdown in every possible way, and my most wanted character is a third-party pipe dream.
K Rool can't breath Fire

And Diddy's moves were changed not to use his tail. Dixie doesn't have a tail. Seems like that's the direction they may be going

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

I mean yeah but what can Steve even do that's unique. Sure he would have a pickaxe but what weapons a character uses doesn't make them unique. That's a silly visual thing that fans keep harping on for no good reason. I can't see Steve using a pickaxe as a unique weapon unless he has some terraforming moveset which I don't know how likely that is. As for picking Banjo over Steve well I mean Microsoft isn't answering questions about whether Steve can join.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mean yeah but what can Steve even do that's unique. Sure he would have a pickaxe but what weapons a character uses doesn't make them unique. That's a silly visual thing that fans keep harping on for no good reason. I can't see Steve using a pickaxe as a unique weapon unless he has some terraforming moveset which I don't know how likely that is. As for picking Banjo over Steve well I mean Microsoft isn't answering questions about whether Steve can join.
He can use a trident, a shove, a pickaxe, a sword, a bow, a hoe, he can fly with elytra, he can build things, he's got his dog, he might even be able to use mob eggs to summon creepers, zombies, and spiders. It's possible he could also have an enchantment mechanic where he gives his tools/ weapons different effects or a magic potion where he can give himself different attributes. Or he could have a redstone mechanic to do something with advance machinery. He could even have something with Iron Golems or Snow Golems.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Look, I'm really not trying to get in an argument here, and I'm sorry if I've offended you somehow. I'm not trying to make an argument for Steve; his day is over, I'm just using him as an example of a Microsoft character that wasn't originally Microsoft's to begin with. I can say that Steve is one of the few characters I actively do not want in Smash, whereas I'm very apathetic towards Banjo. I don't know his game at all, but I liked DK64 and I know he's important to the fans. To me, if he gets in, fine. If not, whatever.

I'm not considering moveset potential or anything in this. I'm only saying that the basic concept is not unique, the same way that pretty well every Fire Emblem character argument starts with "we have enough anime swordsmen!" even for the axe or spear users. Would they be unique? Of course, they have a completely different weapon! Would people dismiss them because they're anime? Yep!

All of this relies on Sakurai, and I tend to think of him as dismissive towards Western characters, particularly western third-parties. This is like the argument during Spyro's day - when I think about a chance score, I tend to think of what other people could think about, not myself (I can clearly see BK as different from DHD). But I'm not the one making this game, otherwise the roster would be very different. Of course, my want score is based on me personally, but with a small roster of newcomers, I'm very particular about characters, especially third parties.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Keep things on topic to Andy and Banjo.

Now then, lets get this going

Banjo

50% Chance

What a world we live in.

To be honest, what gives me some faith is the Vergeben leak. I know, crazy right. But Minecraft content is implied to be in the game, but not a Minecraft character. I could honestly see a scenario like this going. Sakurai and Nintendo contact Microsoft for Banjo, agree, then say how about we do a Minecraft stage?

The fact that Minecraft would not be getting a character but content seems strange, and it could be just a stage. But I honestly think that Banjo might have gotten in due to fan demand.

100% Want

Let me be honest here. I love Banjo Kazooie. Easily one of my most wanted characters. I love Kazooie and Tooie. Tooie multiplayer has some of my greatest gaming memories of all time.

Andy

25% Chance

Ura Ura convinced me to see the potential retro appeal of the Wars series, and well, it is plausible. With King Takamaru dead, the retro horse race is more interesting. Considering the Wars series has had such a long run, I could see it getting a nod.

80% Want

Andy would be cool, but I would prefer Sami. Andy just does not click with me as much and the other two I like more visually. I like the minion concept a lot though. After playing advance wars I bumped up my score a bit in want. Still prefer Sami though she oozes cool.

Nominating Smash Run x 10

Also for anyone wondering why Steve was rated again so recently, it was due to taking all the higher end scoring characters of chance and want and anything that would have potentially changed greatly.

As for housekeeping, the front page will be updated after the fixed days are over.

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
Banjo & Kazooie Chance: 12%
While Phil Spencer has expressed his desire for the duo in smash he isn't the sole representative of Microsoft.
Banjo & Kazooie Want: 60%
They'd be neat.
Andy Chance: 1%
Another character from a dead series that isn't going to get revived.
Andy Want: 0%
Couldn't care less.
Nominations: Thwomp x5

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Look, I'm really not trying to get in an argument here, and I'm sorry if I've offended you somehow. I'm not trying to make an argument for Steve; his day is over, I'm just using him as an example of a Microsoft character that wasn't originally Microsoft's to begin with. I can say that Steve is one of the few characters I actively do not want in Smash, whereas I'm very apathetic towards Banjo. I don't know his game at all, but I liked DK64 and I know he's important to the fans. To me, if he gets in, fine. If not, whatever.

I'm not considering moveset potential or anything in this. I'm only saying that the basic concept is not unique, the same way that pretty well every Fire Emblem character argument starts with "we have enough anime swordsmen!" even for the axe or spear users. Would they be unique? Of course, they have a completely different weapon! Would people dismiss them because they're anime? Yep!

All of this relies on Sakurai, and I tend to think of him as dismissive towards Western characters, particularly western third-parties. This is like the argument during Spyro's day - when I think about a chance score, I tend to think of what other people could think about, not myself (I can clearly see BK as different from DHD). But I'm not the one making this game, otherwise the roster would be very different. Of course, my want score is based on me personally, but with a small roster of newcomers, I'm very particular about characters, especially third parties.
I mean you didn't offend me mate I was just discussing. I am sorry if it came off as hostile or aggressive, that was not my intention. But my point is having a completely different weapon doesn't mean you'll be unique. Weapons are tools and it's how they are used that matters. That's why even though we have a lot of sword characters most have completely unique movesets and they are still tons of sword styles that aren't in Smash. So it's actually possible that lance and axe wielders from FE are still clones just like it's possible they are unique. That's why I hate the whole "no more swordsmen" thing because it's just superficial and really doesn't mean anything about whether or not a character can be unique. Not to mention it started because people wanted the weapon triangle represented in Smash and somehow escalated into swords are bad. I seriously wish people would move beyond visuals instead of just writing off characters they don't know.
Also I am personally fine if you don't want the same characters as me everyone's tastes are different but I recommend watching a video of the Bird and Bears moves from their games and I'm sure you'll see why being a Duck Hunt clone wouldn't make sense which was really my only problem with your reasonings.
He can use a trident, a shove, a pickaxe, a sword, a bow, a hoe, he can fly with elytra, he can build things, he's got his dog, he might even be able to use mob eggs to summon creepers, zombies, and spiders. It's possible he could also have an enchantment mechanic where he gives his tools/ weapons different effects or a magic potion where he can give himself different attributes. Or he could have a redstone mechanic to do something with advance machinery. He could even have something with Iron Golems or Snow Golems.
Thanks for providing some basic ideas for him and while the weapons he uses don't mean anything the rest show he could be an interesting character so that's cool.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo Kazooie
Chance- 45%
Still not too hot, but since this seems to be a fanservice roster, Banjo has solid ground to stand on. If BK fans made a big enough splash during the Ballot, I can see Sakurai considering it. He considered them during Melee, when they were actually a big deal. Yeah, Sakurai considers hundreds of characters, but I believe it still means something. Of course, Steve and Chief exist, but they could have other rolesin the game if Nintendo wanted to include them, like how Bomberman from Konami eas an AT while :ultsnake: becane a character. If BK demand was high, they could appear with Minecraft assist trophies, levels, etc.

Want- 100%
One of my favorite games, id be very happy to see them included.

Abstain from Andy

Thwomp X 5

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Banjo Kazooie Chance - 8%: Banjo's 20th anniversary passed and nothing happened. He is exclusively a ballot pack. We have one person at Microsoft saying yes, but the interest is on Sakurai. I personally just do not see it. However pompous it sounds, if I am in Sakurai's position, I think the easiest solution to shut up the Rare people is just to add Donkey Kong characters, which is a lot easier and sounds like it would please more people anyway. Still, they are certainly a popular pick.

Banjo Kazooie Want - 65%: They'd certainly make a good choice. Melee was the big game where they felt like they belonged, straight from Sakurai himself. It would be a great franchise to see in Smash.

Andy Chance - 0.5%: We're more likely to see the advent of the 7th and 8th Fire Emblem characters. This would theoretically have to either be ballot, which I am convinced is not the case, or there is a super secret Advance Wars game being made that we don't know about that somehow was in production during 2015 so Sakurai could be informed. "Love on the Battlefield" prevents this from getting a game, we are now appealing to the waifu audience.

Andy Want - 35%: I like the Advance Wars franchise and would like to see it have representation. I am not a big fan of Andy's character and would prefer any other representative from it other than the main character from Day of Ruin or a non character, though. The often proposed Sami is a decent enough choice.

Nominate Fawful x5

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Banjo and Kazooie
Chance - 35%
Probably their best shot in awhile with "Ultimate" possibly being bones thrown to the fans. Microsoft may not be on the radar though, but Banjo and Kazooie have always had a vocal crowd like Ridley.
Want - 100%
I like the bear and bird. I only played one of their games, but it was highly enjoyable and part of my youth.

Andy
Chance - 6%
Dead series. Fire Emblem kind of stomped all over it and left it to be forgotten.
Want - 15%
He wouldn't be bad, I'm just not rooting for him really. No attachment really.

Nominations - 10x Monster Hunter

Note - With the former day, my issue was more so that adults and teens were so openly opposed and vicious towards a kid's iconic video game daring to get into Smash, a Nintendo game. But I guess the adults and teens are more demanding and vocal as someone pointed out, but that's not always something to be proud of either. Adults and late teens usually just become more entitled and self centered for the most part, ironically what we usually are taught not to be by our parents but it goes out the door once you become your own man or woman or helicopter.

People don't have to like or want him by any means, I don't. But the general attitude towards a kid's character was a little jarring.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Phil Spencer isn't the sole voice of Microsoft. He's head of the Xbox devision, but he still has a boss. A more accurate statement is that Phil Spencer is willing to let it happen.
Phil's only boss is actually Satya Nadella himself. So what you're telling me is that this is the more likely scenario...

Phil: "All right Nintendo, you can have Banjo Kazooie for Smash. "

Satya Nadella: "NO!!!"

Phil: "...uh, why?"

Nadella: "BECAUSE...!"

Banjo Kazooie is also available as a DLC skin in Minecraft on Switch, among other Microsoft characters, including an entire Halo skin pack. Based on the evidence, there's absolutely zero reason to believe that Phil would have any kind of obstruction in allowing Banjo Kazooie to be in Smash.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Phil's only boss is actually Satya Nadella himself. So what you're telling me is that this is the more likely scenario...

Banjo Kazooie is also available as a DLC skin in Minecraft on Switch, among other Microsoft characters, including an entire Halo skin pack. Based on the evidence, there's absolutely zero reason to believe that Phil would have any kind of obstruction in allowing Banjo Kazooie to be in Smash.
It could also go

Microsoft: Sure you can use our character, but it'll cost you

Nintendo: How much

Microsoft: How much ya got?

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice

It could go a number of ways, the point is, don't assume just because one guy who isn't the boss of bosses says he's OK with it that it's a sure thing. Microsoft as a direct competitor of Nintendo has their own interest, and while Phil Spencer doesn't see an issue the CEO could. Or MS's CEO could be a lot less reasonable in negotiating.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
Hmm... these Want scores could be higher. Time to tip the scales!

Banjo-Kazooie
Chance- 20%
Fewer question marks than Steve. I'm confident they did very well on the ballot, based on basically every poll, plus good timing like Phil Spencer's tweet brining attention to them. There's no potential design clash like with Steve that might turn Sakurai away. The companies seem friendlier, Microsoft is okay with them in Smash (duh), and this game has fan service influence. If Vergeben is right, they've already cooperated to some extent with Minecraft property.
It's very possible, but I can only get so optimistic about a third party from a rival company when there is limited space. We'll see.
Want- 100%
YES.
I adore the N64 era 3D platformers, and B&K was the pinnacle of them all. They would have been in Smash a long time ago had history run a kinder course. Getting them in now would the best way to help right this wrong (besides somehow getting the rights to all of the Rare IPs back... if only). I still see them as basically Nintendo characters fallen astray than Microsoft characters, so my hesitance around third party characters isn't applicable. Let's do it.

Andy
Chance- 8%
I could see where Andy might be a contender for a Retro rep.
... But I'm not convinced we're getting one. Sakurai loves to ruin fanmade rules, or even his own previous restrictions; it's a matter of time before this one falls, too.
He's popular in some circles, but I would be shocked if Andy had much Ballot presence (especially compared to similarly ignored GBA contender Isaac). I just don't see it happening with limited roster space.
IS has paid enough lip service that I won't call the series "dead" (seriously, why does SmashBoards love using that word so liberally?) but it's obvious that they are much more concerned with Fire Emblem. Maybe he'll have chance if they pick the series back up at some point.
Want- 100%
Sorry to be such a downer, as I'm very much up for Andy making it! I like bringing in unrepped first-party series, and Wars is among the most deserving. I do prefer Sami, but I understand Andy should probably come first. His moveset would probably better represent the series, too, so I won't complain. He would probably be pretty great to play as! Ultimate looks like it is going to better represent all of Nintendo's history, but the GBA still needs a little love.

Last edited:

Eagle

Smash Lord
Banjo Kazooie
Want: 100%
The bear and bird were massive highlights of the N64 era for me and many others. I also played the GBA game since no Banjo-Threeie ever came out. This duo is a perfect fit for smash and if they're put in the game I will 100% main them no matter what.

Chances: 50%
This iteration of smash appears to be the best chances they've ever had. They still have lasting popularity which has generally given them solid results on polls and hopefully the smash ballot. Their biggest obstacle is obviously how they're owned by Microsoft, but as we all know they've been buddy-buddy lately so this may not be an issue any longer. If Banjo-Kazooie gets in, I fully expect DLC rather than the base-game but I'm hopeful either way.

Andy
Want: 75%
I think Andy is a good fit for smash and Advance Wars deserves more representation than what it has. The biggest problem I'd have is I doubt multiple GBA reps will get in and that means shafting Isaac.

Chances: Extremely Unlikely
I don't think Andy has too much going for him. The newcomer roster is going to be tighter this time around and so I don't see it happening. I think for him to get in, something about the way he plays would have to tickle Sakurai's fancy in a way never been done before such that he ignores the popularity of other characters.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
Banjo Kazooie

Chance: 30% I don't think there's all that much stopping it from happening but I don't personally believe we're getting all that many more 3rd parties in the base game. I'd boost the chances a bit if we're talking DLC.
Want: Abstain

Andy
Chance: 4
% the only way I see him getting in is if Sakurai is somehow inspired to make a really unique and interesting moveset for him. But he's a kid with two wrenches and even if he's able to summon mini troops for his specials, would those really be THAT different from Duck Hunt's down B?

Want: 45% I'm kind of skeptical, but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised. I played a bit of Advance Wars and it was pretty fun so whatever

Nomination:
Thwomp x5

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Banjo
Chance- 5%
Want- 50%
Highly requested as of late, but ownership issues remain the same. I personally don't care one way or the other.

Andy
Chance- 25%
Want- 100%

Advance Wars is the reason Fire Emblem came to the states. It had routinely sold better than its sister series. How we have not gotten a character is beyond me. Unfortunatly the IP is dormant at this time because IS doesn't know how to put waifus in the series (Yes that is actually what they said, ok not excatly but full quote here).
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-05-30-whats-keeping-nintendo-from-making-a-new-advance-wars

Andy himself is essentially the first protagonist the series has seen and thus could be the main rep. Personally I'm viewing a playstyle similar to Jack-O from Guilty Gear.

Nominations- Ryu Hayabusa x5

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Banjo and Kazooie

Chance - ABSTAIN

We know for a fact that Sakurai has considered Banjo and Kazooie before, but due to being owned by Rareware in a time where they were being bought out, they didn't make the cut. So, Sakurai clearly isn't against them.

“Incidentally, including a character from Rare in Smash would be difficult for various reasons. I know there are some people who think that Banjo & Kazooie are an obvious inclusion, but that’s unlikely for a variety of legal and financial reasons.”

Alongside that, we know that Microsoft is down for it, as well as Nintendo and Microsoft being more than willing to collaborate with one another. Alongside that, they seem like an incredibly popular pick for a fighter, placing pretty decently in polls around the web.

Really, I'd just say it comes down to how willing Nintendo themselves are to put them in the game.

Want - 80%

I love the bear and the bird. Their N64 games are great, and honestly, one of the big reasons that score is so high is just so I can list to some Grant Kirkhope music while fighting.

Andy

Chance - 1%

His franchise is dead, and I don't think we'll be seeing a retro newcomer this time around.

Want - ABSTAIN

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
It could go a number of ways, the point is, don't assume just because one guy who isn't the boss of bosses says he's OK with it that it's a sure thing. Microsoft as a direct competitor of Nintendo has their own interest, and while Phil Spencer doesn't see an issue the CEO could. Or MS's CEO could be a lot less reasonable in negotiating.
To be fair he let one of the most valuable IPs they bought, Minecraft, on Sony consoles instead of keeping it Xbox and Windows exclusive so if they did that then why would they not allow use for Banjo in one of the best selling series out there?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
even if he's able to summon mini troops for his specials, would those really be THAT different from Duck Hunt's down B?
Yes
Unfortunatly the IP is dormant at this time because IS doesn't know how to put waifus in the series (Yes that is actually what they said).
I’ve read that interview, but could you link it? I want to read it again and cry.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Banjo

Chance: 5%
Want: 80%

Sadly It's late for the negoiating table for the base roster. There's still that slimmer of hope though.

As DLC: 75% Since it's easier to get 3rd party characters during this time.

Andy

Chance: 1%
Want: ABSTAINED

His ship has sailed and if one character from a dormant IP is going to be brought to Smash, it's probably going to be Isaac.

Lloyd Irving x5

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Advanced wars is sleeping and I don't think he's unique or memorable enough for a retro character.
And the Ice Climbers were for Melee?

And when it comes to uniqueness he'd absolutely fit the mold. Summoning units and actually raising funds to buy them is something Smash has never done before.
even if he's able to summon mini troops for his specials, would those really be THAT different from Duck Hunt's down B?
Yeah actually, it would be very different. And that's not accounting for the other units he'd summon that are purely land based like Tanks/Artillery/Anti-Air's.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Banjo-Kazooie
I don't see why people would be giving Banjo-Kazooie 0% for chance, especially if they think that Steve has a chance. Ridley got in on the basis of fan demand, and obviously so did some of the DLC characters (Bayonetta explicitly, but it's highly probable Cloud's inclusion was related to ballot performance as well). Banjo-Kazooie seems to be one of the top characters wanted in the US, and while doing worse in Japan, is also a fairly popular choice there. The argument for Banjo-Kazooie over Steve is not at all complicated: B-K is more popular among Smash fans.

Anyway, the Vergeben leak, while not 100% confirmed, suggests that Microsoft has already granted permission for some content - specifically a Minecraft stage. While this might be limited to Minecraft - which gives Steve a chance, although it's plausible that a Minecraft stage would be the only content - it would totally make sense for Nintendo to prefer Banjo-Kazooie as a fighter. They would certainly be the more fan-service-y choice.

We also know that the head of the Xbox division would be on board with the idea. While other people in Microsoft have a say, I would expect the head of the their gaming division to be the most influential person on the topic. I wouldn't expect, say, Bill Gates or Satya Nadella to have much of an opinion on this and they're probably the only people who have more power to block this. Which isn't to say that other people in Microsoft couldn't cause a problem, or that Phil Spencer (I keep on wanting to call him Phil Spector) might not change his mind or desire more concessions than Nintendo is willing to give.

But the biggest questions are: does Sakurai want them? And will Microsoft consent to their inclusion? The latter seems to be only a minor obstacle, and if Vergeben is indeed legit (which it seems likely to be), it shouldn't be much of a problem.

As to whether Sakurai would want them... Aside from their popularity, I would say that they would be easy to adapt to Smash. They fit in the game aesthetically and making a moveset is no problem. They might not be the most unique fighters as there isn't an obvious gimmick for them, but the fan demand for them is such that he might be ok with that. Not every newcomer of Smash 4 and SSBU has a gimmick like the KO Punch or Luma or whatever. I don't know if he has any personal opinion on them, so I can't consider that.

A reason not to include them is that coordinating with Microsoft/Rare on them might be difficult (although it's my understanding that few members of the B-K team are still at Rare) due to time zone differences. And another is their lack of ongoing relevance. Of course, Smash might create an opportunity to change that...

B-K chances: 35%
They have a pretty good chance, but there's a strong possibility that that while Minecraft gets a stage, there is no 3rd-party fighter owned by Microsoft. Also possible that Steve gets in instead, or that the Vergeben leaker was just lucky or some of his information was legit but not all of it, or it was out of date and some of their plans changed, etc. etc.
B-K want: 80%
B-K was a great game. Aside from the fact that I like the characters, this would also make me optimistic for the possibility of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie getting ports or remasters on Switch (also great would be the possibility of other Rare games *cough* Goldeneye *cough* getting out of limbo). I never did play Banjo-Tooie, unfortunately.

Andy
A lot of what I said about Chibi-Robo applies here. The Wars/Advance Wars series seems pretty dead. It hasn't gotten a new entry in a decade (2008). That's less recently than Chibi-Robo, even. But it has historically significantly more sales and installments, so it is more notable overall.

On the other hand, he has a less obvious moveset. One possibility would be something like Pac-Man and his use of fruit + ghosts for attacks. Andy could summon miniature military units (probably retro sprites, as in the Infantry and Tanks AT) for use in attacks, since otherwise it seems difficult to incorporate aspects of the game into his moveset. But even so, since he has a relatively realistic human design (fairly normal proportions) this might not work as well aesthetically as it does with the more bizarre design of Pac-Man. This could provide him with some unique moveset possibilities, but he still requires more thought.

Ultimately, though, the problem here is that Wars is a dead series and Andy isn't a character with significant fan demand. While he could catch Sakurai's fancy, there isn't much reason for his inclusion. Wars does have an AT, but I feel like that's a pretty good spot for the series (future installments might look to the series for a retro rep, or the series might see a revival, although Fire Emblem seems to the sole focus for tactical RPG titles at this time).

Andy chances: 3%
Andy want: 40%
Meeeh.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Unfortunatly the IP is dormant at this time because IS doesn't know how to put waifus in the series (Yes that is actually what they said).
That is a complete misrepresentation of what was said. They said one of the major reasons Fire Emblem grew more popular was because of supports, not the marriage or waifus. People actually care about Fire Emblem's characters while Advance Wars uses generic units. Brawl in the Family actually put it best.

THAT is Advance Wars' issue. If people can't connect with the characters then there will likely be less people who care.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That is a complete misrepresentation of what was said. They said one of the major reasons Fire Emblem grew more popular was because of supports, not the marriage or waifus. People actually care about Fire Emblem's characters while Advance Wars uses generic units. Brawl in the Family actually put it best.

THAT is Advance Wars' issue. If people can't connect with the characters then there will likely be less people who care.
Except that comic doesn't paint the whole picture on the franchise and it's basically the initial impression someone getting in to Advance Wars would think or someone that's only heard about it. Not that there isn't any truth in to that but hot damn people have the tendency to overexaggerate to unspeakable proportions.

And lets be fair dude. You can't chalk up FE's success to supports when the 12 games that came before Awakening never got out of a certain user base. Awakening's success was due to being more accessible to a more casual audience and it releasing in the right spot in the 3DS' life.

Advance Wars never put that much of an emphasis on story because at the end of the day it's all about the gameplay when it comes to the series. The CO's are still memorable enough to be talked about to this day and even requested in Smash Bros albeit not as much as say Isaac. Even then however, I do expect a heavy CO focus in any future AW game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom