• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Dark Samus

Chance- 10%
Move potential isn't an issue at all. However, her time is over for Smash and the Metroid games unless Sakurai can't figure out Ridley or any other Metroid character but still really wants to add another Metorid fighter.

Want- 20%
I feel most Dark Samus demand is just from the desire of more Metroid content in Smash, which it needs. But Metroid is more than just Samus. With so many unique aliens and monsters, having 3 Metorid characters on the roster all ending in "Samus" just doenst lay right with me. Petty reason, I know, but still.

Sylux

Chance- 15%
He can only enter the base game if Sakurai was well aware of Prime 4 and its story before deciding the roster and was really interested in Sylux. So far, his appearances have been pretty much only those after credits Marvel movie scenes (I just saw DP2 recently and it has the best one btw) and a DS spinoff. If he makes a splash with Prime 4, he may be a contender for DLC, but its not certain.

Want- 40%
Hes not Ridley. However, I think he could prove to be an interesting fighter.

Dark Pit- 23.52%

Steve X 4
Thwomp X 1

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I wonder if Metroid Prime 4 is planned to be the start of a second Prime trilogy. It could be the Sylux Trilogy with the first three games acting as the Dark Samus Trilogy.

It's purely speculation, but it could be interesting if that's the case.

TheFritzle

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus:
Chance: 10%

Dark Samus was already an assist trophy in Sm4sh and an indirect Samus costume, so it may have been considered as a possible new character. Although the character is canonically dead, that doesn't mean it automatically disqualify it from becoming playable. I could see her being a semi-clone with a lot of Samus' neutral attacks but new specials. The main problem I see with it getting added is that it's past it's prime. This wouldn't be that big of an issue, but there are other Metroid characters that are just in a better position to get added.

Want: 5%
It's cool enough, and I like the alt costume that Samus got in Sm4sh, but I don't like the idea of it becoming it's own character. It may just be because I don't want Metroid to only be represented with three different Samus's.

Sylux:
Chance: 25%

People seem to really be sleeping on this guy. Sylux really seems to be the next Metroid representative that works. Ridley is the next logical step, but if Sakurai continues with his mentality, we aren't getting him anytime soon. Sylux is most likely going to be the main antagonist in Metroid Prime 4. Nintendo must know the amount of love that Metroid has, so it wouldn't be strange for them to want to promote it as hard as they can. Smash Bros is the ultimate promotion tool, this can be seen with some of the newcomers in 4, like Corrin. Sylux was hinted at the end of Metroid Prime Federation Force, with released in 2016. This is most likely when Smash started development. Metriod Prime 4 was most likely conceived of around 2015-2016, as if they are going to tease Sylux, Metroid Prime 4 was most likely already in its planning phases and they knew Sylux was going to be important. This lines up nicely with Smash, so he has a good shot. If Sylux doesn't make it into the base roster, his chances are even higher for DLC, Metroid Prime 4 most likely will come out end of 2019 or early 2020, so promotional DLC is likely.

But this is all just considering release dates, and not Sylux himself. Sylux's main weapon is the shock coil, which functions similarly to Zero Suit's stun effect. The more it shocks the opponent, the more energy it gains. This could be transferred into percentage. This could be very unique, and it could be a light character that specializes in avoiding attacks and trapping the opponents. Sylux is a pretty likely character, and is a 50/50 for the next Metroid rep.

Want: 50%
I like its weapon, I think its design is alright, and he's another villain. I just want Metroid to get some more love in Smash.

Decloned Dark Pit Prediction:
33.58%

Nominations:
Ray x5

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I wonder if Metroid Prime 4 is planned to be the start of a second Prime trilogy. It could be the Sylux Trilogy with the first three games acting as the Dark Samus Trilogy.

I think it's more than reasonable to think this may be the case...especially if Prime 4 turns out to be quite successful. So long as it's anywhere close to being as good as any of the original trilogy of games it probably will given how Switch releases are breaking franchise records across the board for the moment.

I just hope Prime 4 doesn't come out too late before any of the hype dies down.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Dark Samus
Want: 20%

Sylux
Chance: 7%
Want: 51%

The problem for both of them is that Metroid was dormant for the majority of this game's development. Before Samus Returns, the most recent Metroid game released before Smash 4, and neither of these characters were in it. I'm guessing Prime 4 wasn't even planned until after the Switch released and Nintendo knew it was a success, so Sakurai certainly knew nothing of it for a while. DLC is a real possibility for Sylux if he's got a big role in the game, but not base roster.

As for want, I'm not too keen on a third Samus, but she would probably have an interesting moveset at least, so it would be fine. Sylux I don't know a whole lot about, but having a rival for Samus would be nice. If Sakurai remains insistent on Ridley not being playable, it will have to be someone else.

Nominate Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x5

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Dark Samus
Chance: 20%
Ok, I haven't played the Metroid Prime games but I watched LPs of them, and have read some of the comments here. Apparently, Dark Samus is old news at this point. Still, she's important to the series and I could see her getting in as a semi clone, which I know for fans isn't the best case scenario but it seems to be the only way Sakurai would include her now. I do think the timing is right for a Metroid newcomer, but I really feel it'll be Ridley or nothing. After Ridley, I could see Dark Samus.

For Metroid fans mostly.

Sylux
Chance: 5%
Again, going off hearsay mostly, but hype for him if you can even call it that seems to be based off the assumption he's going to be super important in MP4. I don't see Sakurai going for such a pick when Metroid has been starved for newcomers for so long. Ridley and Dark Samus are more popular and iconic. Heck even a generic Chozo would be a better pick. 5% because if he becomes super popular after MP4 releases he could get in as DLC.

Want: 0%
I'd rather see an established, iconic Metroid newcomer.

Decloned Dark Pit: 10.99%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Dark Samus

Chance: 2%

Meh. It's story is confirmed over, but it did have significance to the Prime Trilogy starting out as Metroid Prime before transforming to Dark Samus. A clone of Samus would be cheap to do, but I only see it happening if there's enough time to fatten up the roster before launch. If we're talking DLC, I could see Dark Samus being made more unique, but maybe a semi-clone.

Sylux
Chance: 0%

Once a one-off minor villain that Samus did a terrible job of getting rid of, Sylux is supposedly gonna be the main villain of Prime 4. But, all that's just assumptions. He's done nothing to influence the story of the games released after. He's had cameos after Hunters, and.... that's it. He's still a minor character to the series at large. Him hypothetically appearing in a game that hasn't released yet wouldn't change that. What if Sylux dies in Prime 4? What then?

I'm not crazy about the purple space dragon, but Ridley should take priority over these two.

Nominations
Rowlet x5

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Dark Samus
She's a very notable antagonist from the series and would do a good job showcasing the Prime subseries with her presence. She also has a lot of moveset potential as her AT proves, so looking like Samus would not be a death sentence to her and she could be added with her very unique abilities. Unfortunately, her time has passed as her story was concluded with Prime 3 over a decade ago and there's no sign that she's looking to make a return as the series is building up to a new main antagonist in the form of Sylux. Sadly, she came too late to make an impact on the roster, and with nothing else to help boost her that doesn't seem to change.

Want: 60%
I liked her in the Prime subseries and her abilities more then make up for her visual appearance. I think she would make for a fun addition and she would be second in terms of Metroid potentials for me.

Sylux
If Dark Samus' time has passed, Sylux's time hasn't even come. Its only major appearance at this point is Hunters, a game from over a decade ago where it was just a face among many and didn't do anything story-wise to push it above the rest. Outside of that, it's only had a couple cameos across the series, one in Prime 3's ending, and the other in FF's, otherwise it's been very lacking in presence and has little to his name at the current time. It has been pushed as the next big antagonist in the Prime subseries, and with Prime 4 on the horizon we may see that come to pass, but that's far in the future and relying on promises and maybes are not something I think are going to allow this character to be playable in the base roster.

To be honest, I don't care for this character. Hunters did not interest me that much as a game and Sylux in particular I found to be one of the more uninteresting hunters as its abilities and backstory didn't catch me like those such as Weavel or Trace did. Then after that it doesn't do anything to change my mind about him as the only thing it did was a couple of cameo appearances across a decade with nothing about either to show why I should be interested in the character, so I didn't care when they tried to build it up as the next big antagonist to the series. Finally, despite all the pushing Tanabe has done and people saying it's important and should get its due, it hasn't done anything to prove that it's important and it's currently far behind multiple antagonists and even NPCs in the series.

For me he's just another hunter with promises of greatness, and I don't care about promises if they're tied to someone who hasn't interested me since he started out as just one option in a multiplayer game and hasn't done anything of note since. If Prime 4 gives him a great role, then good, I'll gladly bump this score up, but for now I don't have any attachment to this character and I prefer Ridley and Dark Samus over it.

Nomination: Monster Hunter Character x5

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think it's more than reasonable to think this may be the case...especially if Prime 4 turns out to be quite successful. So long as it's anywhere close to being as good as any of the original trilogy of games it probably will given how Switch releases are breaking franchise records across the board for the moment.

I just hope Prime 4 doesn't come out too late before any of the hype dies down.
I'm sure the hype won't die down. People have been waiting forever for Prime 4, and the passion is going to be there whenever it releases.

Plus, it makes sense that Nintendo's doing Kirby, Smash, Fire Emblem, and Yoshi for hyping this year and Pokemon and Metroid for 2019.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Dark Samus

Chance: Abstain
Want: Abstain

Sylux

Chance: Abstain

Metroid has been held back for so bafflingly long that arguing for its newcomers feels like something between futility and fabrication. Why is it a franchise that's so old and important has only two characters, where both of them are literally the same person? Why won't Sakurai just bite the bullet and put Ridley in, if anyone at all? Why does Japan dislike Metroid so much anyway? There's too little solid historical backing (was Zero Suit Samus really a logical choice?) for me to make a decent call on this.

Whereas more popular franchises get more favor in the roster rolls, Metroid seems to get less, so it's hard to imagine seeing more additions besides Ridley if Smash ever gets off of its Metroid embargo. Part of me wonders if it's more to do with a Western appreciation for the both the Prime games and the original retro entries that makes people really push for Metroid characters, an appreciation that seems largely absent from home country Japan for some reason. Do Dark Samus and Sylux have as much popularity and recognition there as they do here in the West?

I'm not a fan of adding antagonists that have only played a part in a fraction of a franchise's history, especially if more punctual villains have yet to be added, but enough people seem to like these two enough for me think that I'm just not familiar enough with them to really judge them.

Prediction:
Decloned Dark Pit: 24%

Nominations:
Viridi x5

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Metroid has been held back for so bafflingly long that arguing for its newcomers feels like something between futility and fabrication. Why is it a franchise that's so old and important has only two characters, where both of them are literally the same person?
There's a simple answer for that, actually; when it comes to Metroid, major characters essentially fall into one of three categories: bounty hunters, giant monsters, and background NPCs. The most notable character from the first category is already in Smash (twice) and most of the rest aren't worth thinking twice about, the second category is full of largely (har) unrealizable candidates, and the third really doesn't lend itself well to playable roles in general. When you look at it this way, you quickly realize that A.) the Metroid series doesn't really have a lot of recurring major characters in the first place and B.) most of the ones that exist aren't suited for Smash, at least not in Sakurai's eyes. It almost certainly has nothing to do with a so-called "embargo" or any sort of bias the man has against the series; he adds characters based on how well they lend themselves to Smash, what makes them unique, and their overall importance, not for the sake of "well Metroid hasn't gotten a character in a while, guess I better check that box off real quick by adding Adam Malkovich to Smash." It's not as simple as "add a Metroid character to satisfy an arbitrary quota," it has to actually be an idea that Sakurai likes. And evidently, he doesn't like any of the ideas that would make any sense to add; if he did, we'd have Ridley and/or Dark Samus by now.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
It almost certainly has nothing to do with a so-called "embargo" or any sort of bias the man has against the series; he adds characters based on how well they lend themselves to Smash, what makes them unique, and their overall importance, not for the sake of "well Metroid hasn't gotten a character in a while, guess I better check that box off real quick by adding Adam Malkovich to Smash." It's not as simple as "add a Metroid character to satisfy an arbitrary quota," it has to actually be an idea that Sakurai likes
I partially agree. These are reasonably the same arguments we’ve made for Zelda: you have the Triforce Trio, then a lot of one-shots.

But I do believe that bias plays some role in how Metroid (and Zelda. And DK. Funny, all are bigger in the west than Japan...) are represented. Fire Emblem also is filled with one-off characters, and yet there’s no character drought there. Sakurai even said that if Awakening had come out six months earlier or later, that Robin and/or Lucy wouldn’t be considered. That to me sounds like “Let’s have a slot for Fire Emblem Lord du jour.” the other series get “well, there’s no real recurring character that will be easily realizable, so meh.” Also, Sakurai is able to make reasonable movesets for anything, so I fully believe that if he wanted to, he could get any character in. If he wanted to.

It’s definitely more than one reason though. Is it all bias? No, I’m sure a lot of it is unconscious anyway. But it’s not that Metroid doesn’t have characters important to the franchise either.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I partially agree. These are reasonably the same arguments we’ve made for Zelda: you have the Triforce Trio, then a lot of one-shots.

But I do believe that bias plays some role in how Metroid (and Zelda. And DK. Funny, all are bigger in the west than Japan...) are represented. Fire Emblem also is filled with one-off characters, and yet there’s no character drought there. Sakurai even said that if Awakening had come out six months earlier or later, that Robin and/or Lucy wouldn’t be considered. That to me sounds like “Let’s have a slot for Fire Emblem Lord du jour.” the other series get “well, there’s no real recurring character that will be easily realizable, so meh.” Also, Sakurai is able to make reasonable movesets for anything, so I fully believe that if he wanted to, he could get any character in. If he wanted to.

It’s definitely more than one reason though. Is it all bias? No, I’m sure a lot of it is unconscious anyway. But it’s not that Metroid doesn’t have characters important to the franchise either.
Well, I can't argue with that. I'd be the last person on Earth to say Sakurai's treatment of FE in Smash 4 wasn't a little suspicious. But regardless, what seems to be the popular opinion that Metroid "needs" a new rep just because it hasn't gotten one in a while and "only has two of the same character" just sort of bugs me considering how few viable candidates there truly are when you look at the big picture.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Dark Samus

Unfortunately she's doomed to be an assist trophy.We're only going to get 1 Metroid newcomer if there is one. Ridley who is still ridiculously requested. I do find her a bit of an interesting character.

Sylux

Chance: 3%
Want: ABSTAINED

The roster was finalized before Sylux getting any prominence in Metroid Prime 4. Maybe as DLC when he becomes an important Metroid character. And of course Ridley. I never know what games the character is in, but I never played them to know what he is like formywant score.

Decloned Dank Pit: 24.45%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

Troykv

Smash Master
Dark Samus:

Metroid Prime is dead (the character, not the sub-series), literally, and won't come back unless something very random happens.

Well... It would be cool.

Sylux:

Chance and Want: Abstain

The Wild Card.

Decloned Dark Pit: 18.4%

Nominations:

Steve x2
Cranky Kong x3

(I can edit my nomination if someone needs help to save their characters).

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
DS

Abstain from chance, there’s too many variables to take into account. Sylux is competition, but he might not be due to timing. We've never seen a dead character in Smash, but there’s no reason to believe that’s cause for exclusion. At least Sakurai acknowledges the moveset potential in the AT, so chances of being a clone are low.

Want: 80%
The Prime Trilogy is amazing and Dark Samus is an iconic villain. I wouldn’t even mind Ridley being shafted if DS got in.

Double abstain from Sylux
He shall be the ultimate test of whether Smash has become a marketing tool over a celebration of history.

Decloned Dark Pit: I don’t get it. Dark Pit is a semiclone. You mean make him a completely unique character? Then I guess 2%

Nominations: Mach RiderX5

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
disclaimer: I'm not a Metroid fan, but I think I did my research well enough to warrant a post.

Dark Samus
Chance: 15%
More likely that she'll stay an Assist Trophy. She had a major role in Prime 2 and 3, but at this point those games are old news, and it seems her shoes are being filled by Stylux in the next game. Still though, she is one of the biggest potential fighters from the Metroid series.

the Metroid lineup consisting entirely of characters named "Samus" would be lame, imo.

Stylux

Will Stylux become a bigger name come Prime 4? I don't doubt it. For now though, Stylux has almost nothing going for him, besides a neat backstory and a couple after credits scenes. He's being built up for something, but there's no way whatever that something is came to fruition during Smash 5's development cycle. DLC is his best chance, and I'm not factoring DLC into my score.

Design is kind of neat, but Ridley should come first.

noms:
Tingle x5

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Dark Samus 10%

Nah just a alt costume for Samus

Want :abstain

Sylux

Chance : 5%

Prime 4 is the hope since likely the main villain of that but way to late because of when the roster wasn't finalized

But I give him a 40% chance for dlc though

Want 100%

We need more metroid reps

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Dark Samus
Chance: 30%

It was the major antagonist in the MP trilogy so she's very important plus she's now an AT so it could be made into a full character next time.

Want: 80%
Dark Samus is cool and it literally isn't Samus. There's no reason for it to be a Samus clone and it would be cool to have a new Metroid character. A lot of people say it can't be in because Ridley has to be the next character. I'm going to be honest, Dark Samus's want score would only be 50-60 if not for that stupid statement. Seriously Ridley will get in as soon as Sakurai can figure out how to make him work. Much like Pacman, Villager, and the Miis they were left out because they didn't initially seem to fit what he thought could be playable. Sure Ridley fans can see how to make him work but they aren't developing the game. It should be noted that Sakurai has him in the game in some way like every Smash. Seriously nothing will stop Ridley once Sakurai gets some divine inspiration. Until then I'd still like to see Dark Samus. There is no reason to hold back every character from the series because fans feel entitled to Ridley.

Sylux

Since he's the next main antagonist he has a future but that doesn't mean that helps him currently.

Don't really care since I have yet to play Hunters

Noms: Ray x5

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus

I can't see it happening. Think for a second... which Metroid characters are playable in Smash? Samus, and... Zero Suit Samus. It's the same character twice. I'm pretty sure that if Metroid is going to get a new character, it's going to be someone more unique, especially since some characters from Metroid are far more requested!

For mostly the same reasons as why I think she's unlikely. Playable Metroid representation in Smash is two Samuses. Do we really need a third Samus? It's not like they'd struggle to find Metroid characters, because the series has other unique characters. So I would hope they'd branch out! Instead of Dark Samus, how about someone like Ridley or...

Sylux

Chance: 40%

So Metroid Prime 4 is coming! It got announced at E3 2017, which means there was a silence of ten years between Prime 3's release and Prime 4's announcement! With that in mind, it makes sense to think that a character from Prime has a shot at making it into Smash this time around. I don't think Dark Samus will, and with Sylux seemingly being the villain again in Prime 4, I think he's got a pretty good shot! I'm of the opinion that Ridley will likely not appear (sorry!), so Sylux fills the role of a Metroid villain for Smash as well. So yes, I'd say he's decently likely!

I haven't played much Metroid, so I don't have any real connection to him, but Metroid deserves more love in Smash than just its protagonist twice! Sylux seems like a pretty likely candidate, so bring him on!

-----

Decloned Dark Pit: 14.56%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Dark Samus:
Chance: 35% -
She's definitely more likely than Ridley. Easy to make a clone character out of, and the Metroid Prime series is both relevant and popular. But I don't think we're getting any more Metroid characters.
Want: 0% - I'm not a big Metroid fan, and as far as clones go, I really only would like Octoling.

Sylux:
Chance: 4% -
He's not really that important. His fanbase just likes to overblow his actual importance to the franchise. He's not Ridley or Dark Samus. He's not getting in.
Want: 0% - See Dark Samus' want.

Prediction: Decloned Dark Pit
Chance: 2.47%
Want: 17.82%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Dark Samus
Chance - 20%
Her time as the Metroid villain has came to an end, but she still has left a lasting impression on the Metroid fan base in which they know who and what she is/was. She is iconic for the series and the series is argued to need someone by the fans, so it's possible she will step up for the spot. She suffers from the "too late" side of thought.
Want - 45%
I think she'd be pretty cool with the Phazon attacks. My biggest concern is having 3 reps that have Samus in the name. It's a weird reason to stumble on, but I really don't know if three Samus appeals to me.

Sylux
Chance - 25%
His time in Metroid is coming up, he may very well be the next reoccurring enemy for Samus. Since he isn't a mindless beast or monster like most, he could even wind up having more roles if the series keeps him alive. So, there is a solid chance he could be the big player coming into the series and Smash could be used to hype him up. But will the team bank on him this early? They likely already had access to his concept for Prime 4 and general powers, so I'm not worried on that. I'm worried that they'd wonder if Prime 4 or Sylux won't hit large enough to warrant it. He suffers from the "too early" side of thought.
Want - 75%
I think his design and weapon could be pretty cool with a face lift to the current era. I also think he is one of the more possible picks for Metroid, so I do rally for him in terms of a Metroid character. Prime 4 will be the big test for him though overall.

The Ridley Aspect
I don't really care for the idea of Ridley in Smash. But Olimar! Yes, technically Marth could step on him and be done with his fight. Thing is, Olimar was scaled to the cast with his small, simple cartoon body. Then the environment and his enemies were scaled up to match. Cause technically Bulborb would also be a quick stomp to death, but instead they are as large to the rest of the cast as they are to Olimar. Ridley would be like putting in Titan Dweevil, Pikmin 2's famous boss among the fans. Could it technically be done? Yes. Would the large, heavily appendage... lanky creature look kind of weird shrank down? Yes, details would have to be loss to make less clutter. Would it be weird to see Titan Dweevil only slightly larger than Olimar? Yes. This all matches up with Ridley for me, and I can't find myself supporting the character. At times I feel for the fans, but in the end i usually see them throwing the other potential newcomers of Metroid into the mud... so that passes pretty quick.

For those reasons, I do support Dark Samus and Sylux over Ridley, which I know is criminal among the inner circle of Smash speculation in the West.

Nominations
5x Gengar

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Sylux & Dark Samus

Chances: 50% & 30%

So yeah, it's basically impossible to talk about this franchise without addressing the big purple elephant in the room. Gonna get this out of the way, I think that based on current info, ahead of any and all Metroid reps, I think Sylux and Dark Samus have the best chances of getting in, including Ridley. Regardless of your stance on the "Too big" argument, one thing is for certain, Ridley has had 3 chances to get in, even the with the Melee intro size he still didn't get in and they added both Ganondorf and Bowser to the series. Sakurai has made his stance clear, and this isn't a "I can't think of a moveset" stance, it's a "I can't think of a way to make this character not broken without severely compromising his appearance" stance. So yeah, agree or disagree, It's how he feels, so I have little reason to believe Dark Samus or Sylux would have to compete with Ridley.

That said, If Metroid even gets a new rep (which given it's track record isn't that likely), I think it comes down to Prime 4. Given Sylux's appearance in Federation Force and the possibility of an appearance in Prime 4 (Going by interviews) I think he has the best chance of getting in, still though, this is assuming Metroid even gets a new rep, so I'm not gonna rate him higher than 50.

Dark Samus managed to get in as an Assist trophy so that's something. Apparently she isn't going to be apart of Prime 4, so I don't see her getting in to promote Prime 4. Still, it's possible for her be promoted to a clone/semi-clone as the original antagonist of the Prime trilogy, but that's about it.

I don't have horse in this race. Whether or not Metroid gets another rep wasn't really ever a concern to me. I have nothing for or against Sylux or Dark Samus, so whether or not either of them get in isn't a concern to me.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

Last edited:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Since I'm the one who nominated the Decloned Dark Pit concept all the way up, I should clarify that making him a semi clone akin to Luigi or Falco would count as him being decloned

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Since I'm the one who nominated the Decloned Dark Pit concept all the way up, I should clarify that making him a semi clone akin to Luigi or Falco would count as him being decloned
Can I play devil's advocate and say does Dark Pit's removal from the roster count as decloning since he'd simply be tossed into the dumpster?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

I'm not sure they can pull it off without it getting a bit stale, even Dark Samus as we know her only featured in Prime 2 and 3, and in the latter she had a much more indirect role as Phazon itself was made out to be the primary threat. I feel like the trilogy will start with Sylux as the main rival, but his activities will probably lead Samus to some other external threat that will prove to be a much bigger worry, that's usually the Metroid formular.

That is also just speculation though, with all the buildup they might just push Sylux really hard.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Dark Samus

Chance - 7.5% - We already have a semi-working moddle for her thanks to Samus being esentally a lock. That said, her assist trophy could stand in her way of being a clone. Combined with her being dead with no plans to continue her character, I don't see her as too likely.

Want - 60% - While she could be interesting, I would rather Ridley get in. Still, if he's not viable, I can acept her.

Sylux

Chance - 1% - Unless he gets in on a promotional basis, I don't see how. Prime 4 is a bit too far away to affect his chances, I think. While he could become a viable candidate for DLC, I don't count that for my ratings.

Want - 40% - I would rather have Dark Samus. I don't really care about him.

Prediction

Decloned Dark Pit - 5.23% - I have no idea how to quantify this.

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Dark Samus

Chance - 1%

The Phazon trilogy of Metroid Prime games has ended. The only way I could see her getting in at this point would be as a Samus clone, but even then, it would:
  • Not be accurate to her character / fighting style
  • Create a ton of backlash for having three "Samuses" in Smash, even though Dark Samus is just a mutated Metroid / pure Phazon energy rather than Samus
Want - 55%

She's not someone I desperately want in, but if she were to get in, I'd be more than fine with it. Phazon is cool.
Although, if she's a Samus clone, I'd probably be a little pissed.

Sylux

Chance - 3%

Sylux on the other hand, is in the entire opposite position that Dark Samus is in. Rather than being the main villain of a past trilogy, he's seemingly being played up as being the main villain of Metroid Prime 4 for seemingly a very long time, both through interviews and Metroid Prime 3's + Federation Force's ending. So, Sylux being a big deal in terms of Metroid was likely a known thing when Sakurai and friends were planning Smash.

However, Metroid Prime 4 is still seemingly a long ways away, with how we still know very little about the subject, and his only other non-teaser role is in Metroid Prime Hunters, where he didn't have a very huge role anyway.

I could see him getting in for promotional purposes, but not much else.

Want - 20%

Eh. I'd rather him establish himself a bit within the Metroid series some more first. I'd probably be more willing to see him in action with the release of Prime 4.

Nominations:
[Veteran] Corrin x5

Last edited:

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Dark Samus
Chance: 10% - The fact that she could be an easy to make clone character definitely helps her chances despite no longer being relevant to Metroid.
Want: 40%

Sylux
Chance: 5% - Personally I think it would make far more sense to include him as DLC after Metroid Prime 4 is released and after we see how well he’s recieved there. Right now his only major appearance is in Hunters and including him in the base roster of SSB5 would feel like too much of a preemptive strike based on how hypothetically popular he could be in the future.
Want: 30%

Decloned Dark Pit prediction: 19%

Nominations: Eevee x5

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Dark Samus
Chance: 15%
Ridley sure won't be in, so Dark Samus could be a possibility. She's already an assist trophy and I think is reoccurring in the series.
I don't have any attachment to Metroid. This character doesn't interest me all that much.

Sylux
Still more likely than Ridley. Less appearances in the series and no model to draw from like Dark Samus.
Same thing as Dark Samus. This design is even less interesting to me.

I'll refrain from predicting my own thing.

Nominations
Endou Mamoru x5

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913
Dark Samus

Chance: 1%

Pessimistic score, but I really don't see this happening. Her time has passed, her last main appearance was a good while ago, and her story is probably done. Very little shot of being a unique character at this point, and personally I don't think she'd be picked as a clone either. Plus there's the flying purple elephant in the room; not that I think Ridley is getting in (at this point I'm not entirely sure what to think of his chances but I don't think they're high), but he's easily the most important character and the most talked about for Smash, so if he still can't get in then given the status of the other possibilities I think Metroid's just going to get ignored again, at least for this time.

Want: 100%

I've grown to like Metroid more and more over the last several years, and want to see it get more love in Smash. Ridley is in my top 5 most wanted but I'd be perfectly content with Dark Samus as well (and would be fine with having both), she's a cool character who seems like she'd be a fun smasher. I'm not against having a third character with "Samus" in her name because she's not actually Samus and ideally all three would play completely differently from each other anyway.

Sylux

Disclaimer because I'm not sure I've noted this, but I'm viewing this as rating their chances for the base roster, so DLC isn't taken into account in my chance ratings. I do think Sylux might have a better shot of being a promotion DLC character.

Anyway he's pretty much in the opposite scenario as the above character; Dark Samus is already past her prime (no pun intended), whereas Sylux's hasn't really happened yet. I'd still call him a bit more likely than her because he does seem to have a future, but as of now, he only has one notable appearance, which was a long while ago, and I doubt Metroid Prime 4 would have any affect on the main roster given how little we know about it. And again, Ridley. Like I said he's possible as DLC at some point, but probably not in the base game.

Has potential to be fun, and if given the choice between him and no Metroid newcomers I'd consider just letting him in. I'm overall indifferent to the character though, and would be more interested in Dark Samus and/or Ridley. Would be better as DLC as I'd prefer to see what happens in Prime 4 before I consider fully getting behind him.

Decloned Dark Pit prediction: 21.48%

Nominations: Corrin x5

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus and Sylux:
QUADRUPLE ZEROES

I believe that Sakurai agrees with many fans that, in terms of Metroid, it is Ridley or nothing. It's why the big guy has been getting so much attention in recent Smash games. Love it or hate it, you can't deny that significantly more time went into Ridley in Brawl and Smash 4 than any other form of non-playable content. Until Sakurai finds a way to make Ridley work in Smash 4, I don't think we will ever get another Metroid newcomer. Even if Dark Samus somehow becomes relevant again, and even if (when) Sylux is heavily featured in the next Metroid Prime. It's Ridley or bust.

Which is good, because I don't want any of them before Ridley :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dark Samus

Assist Trophy, lack of relevance, and Ridley beats it in popularity. Next.

She would be passable I guess.

Sylux

Unless its promoting Prime 4, its toast. Not to mention it competes with Ridley.

Want: 40%

Sylux is eh to me as far as Smash. But it was the objectively best Prime Hunter.

Decloned Dank Pit: 17%

I doubt it will happen

Nomination: Ayumi Tachibana x5

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Dark Samus

With a similar build to Samus, she'd be an easy character to create and implement. She was also an Assist Trophy in Smash 4. However, she has lots of relevancy recently, and I'm apparently learning Sylux will take over her main villain role (or at least heavily implied) for Prime 4. To me, it seems more likely that she'll be an Assist Trophy again.

I'm not that into the Metroid series. As such, I can't form an accurate want score on this character.

------

Sylux

He does have some following when it comes to Smash, and he's supposed to have a major role in Prime 4 (most likely to take over as the main villain). However, with Prime 4's timing, I feel like the best way he'd be implemented to Smash 5 is to promote Prime 4. Otherwise, he doesn't have much of a chance.

Repeat what I said about Dark Samus.

------

Predictions

Decloned Dark Pit: 16.45%

No comment.

------

Nominations

Corrin (Fire Emblem): x5

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Since I'm scared I'll miss it, can someone tag me on Urban Champion's day?

Dark Samus Chance: 35%

A new Metroid character might be in order some time soon. There are multiple other characters it could be though.

Dark Samus Want: 80%

Dark Samus >>> :4zss:, considering how Dark Samus is actually its own character.

Sylux Chance: 20%

Wasn't an Assist Trophy like DS, but still somewhat possible.

Sylux Want: 0%

He'd probably use the weapons of other hunters that he's never used, and I really don't want him doing that.

Nominations: Kamek x5

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Dark Samus

- Unlkely but maybe her current status as an AT could help her a bit.

Want: 2%

- She’s not one of the Federation Force soldiers.

Sylux

Chance: 2%

- Unlikely.

Want: 3%

- He’s not one of the Federation Force soldiers.

Prediction

Decloned Dark Pit: 14.5%

Nominations

Neptune (Neptunia Series) x3
Katrielle Layton (Professor Layton) x2

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Dark Samus

Chance: 7%

She's canoncially dead, she's an Assist Trophy, and has to compete with Sylux and Ridley.

Want: 90%

I NEED her in Smash.

Sylux

Chance: 4%

I doubt we will have characters from spinoffs in Smash and Prime 4 likely came too late for Smash representation.

Want: 10%

Never liked Sylux. Not even once.

Decloned Dank Pit: 14

Nomination: Tsubasa Oribe x5

Dark Samus

Yeah this is another unlucky character. There time is already over. Dark Samus is dead forever. And being so similar to samus (visually) probably doesnt help too much. If this were Brawl, or if DS wasnt KIA, they would probably have a decent shot tbh. But. . .that isnt true

Want: 30%
I think there is some cool moveset potential, but honestly m just not a fan of dark samus. Just not intersted in them as a villain, as much as I love Prime.

Sylux
I would put their chances as just a tad higher, but not by much.

At the moment, Sylux is basically a walking cameo. Hunters is absolutely not enough to make them be playable, and they havent done anything since then to get them in. It's all been little cameos. I imagine they will FINALLY step out of the shadows in Prime 4, but that is definitely too far away for base game.

No interst whatsoever.

Noms
V. Joe x5
:061:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Dark samus and Sylux

Chance and Want: abstained
I know almost nothing of these characters.

Nomination: Django x5

Top Bottom