• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

SKX31

Smash Master
Gonna respost / modify my Direct wishlist, divided into predictions and wishlist:

Predictions:

- Overwatch port (looks to be confirmed! Not sure just yet)
- Smash update. I do expect the SNK reveal, we'll also see the Banjo release
- Further details on Sword / Shield. I really think those two games could use it to detail the world.
- Further details on Bayonetta 3
- Odyssey or Sunshine HD
- First nuggets of info on approved games for China. I don't expect much - but if the Chinese goverment has approved anything they'll show it off now to start the Chinese hype train. Combined with the SNK reveal.
- Assassin's Creed port (which is on my wishlist too, glad that it's happening).

Wishlist:

- Further details on BotW 2
- Pikmin 4
- Expansion of the Switch store to include SNES and either N64 or GB(C) / GBA titles.
- A more minor game being brougt back to life, whether it's a Kid Icarus or F-Zero sequel. Any more minor series getting a follow up counts.
- Any news coming from either Microsoft and / or Valve so those rumor mills can be put to rest. This includes Rare Replay, teasing Master Chief Collection or even Valve announcing a Dota Underlords Switch port. Since I really like Underlords' concept of "start a game on PC or mobile device, continue and finish it on the other without issue!".

For the record, being a (too massive sometimes. Hey, grew up with the original game and have played / followed Dota 2 for almost a decade) Dota 2 fan, I'd actually rank Underlords as my first wish. Rare Replay and Master Chief collection as very close second / third place.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Predictions:
Luigi's Mansion 3 gets the multiplayer explored some more and we find out about a new feature and King Boo's role within.

Mario Kart Tour gets an official reveal for Pauline and a few others.

We find out a few more Pokémon in Sword and Shield including the middle evolutions for the starters and a few old Pokémon are revealed to be included.

Super Mario 3D World Deluxe is announced. Finally giving us a port.

Another port is announced whether it's Xenoblade X or Starfox Zero

Mentions of games like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for a release date

Banjo is mentioned but not shown in full

Fighter #4 turns up

Some Musou game gets shown off, be it Persona

Wishlist:
Toadette is added to the Mario 3D World Deluxe/port

Captain Toad gets his 3D World levels back for free as part of a promotion for the 3D World port

SMB2 style added to Mario Maker 2

New Mario Kart

New fighter pass announced

Luigi's Mansion 3 gets several different multiplayer modes

Extra DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe including new cups and Pauline

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well we got ourselves a confirmed concept that was rated before...

Concept: SNK Rep officially confirmed!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Am I proud to announce that Arle is back in the game! I'll be nomming her rerate x 10 either today (if there are noms), tomorrow (if there are noms then), or the day we do Kamek.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Magnificent.
More AC news, Overwatch and Obra Dinn ports,Terry in Smash AND Banjo released today AND another pass on the way....was a really solid direct.
Only major downers were no Bayo3/MP4 updates and the new Xeno being a Director's Cut of Xenoblade 1...which is cool, but many were hoping for a XenoX Switch port, especially since it seems TMS got one. Also Sakurai and the translators having fun during the Banjo presentation was pleasing to see.

94%.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Alright, gonna throw my cents:
*Overwatch was seen from miles away, but I think everyone knows that.
*I don't care if Toby Fox is involved, Little Town Hero looks like gutter trash to me, and I can't believe Game Freak is really putting Pokémon on second plane for this. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the game's a f*****g failure like all the other times they tried to be "more than just Pokémon devs". Anyone remembers Drill Dozer, Tembo the Bad*** Elephant or Giga Wrecker? Because I sure don't.
*While it's nice to know that more Wii U games are getting another chance on Switch, I'm not sure if TMS benefits from it, not if we take into account the giant mess that Treehouse did with it.
*Pokémon stuff only reminded me that the Ben Affleck leak is real. Not that I'm bothered with the game as I was a few months ago.
*Terry's cool. No need to say more or else about it.
*Sans has to be the craziest Mii costume ever.
*I hope I can support Witcher 3 on Switch, since having a game like this succeeding would help devs stop being such greedy ***** about cartridges.
*Glad about DOOM 64.
*Same for the AC collection. Hope Ezio's games eventually come too.
*SNES online is nice, but their starter line is too lacking outside of Demon's Crest.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Reactions:
Was hoping we'd get a bit more on Pokemon. Oh well though. They're gonna have to drop a bunch here soon with us being about 2 months away from the release date. Thought we might at least see the final forms of the 3 starters here instead of 2 random Pokemon

Terry..... well I didn't expect to be hyped over every single DLC pick. Wouldn't have even heard of him if I didn't play RTC here. Would probably be less satisfied if they didn't announce more DLC right after that. Seriously didn't expect news on that until next year's E3 at the soonest if we were getting any at all. Makes me feel a lot more ok with getting Terry and possibly Ryu Hayabusa like the rumors suggested knowing there's more to come later. The Sans Mii Costume rules, and getting Banjo tonight wasn't at all what I thought would happen. Usually feels like we're playing the waiting game forever with the characters but this time it felt like Banjo came out pretty quickly.

Most of the other news didn't really effect me. Was hoping to see some 3 Houses DLC maybe but didn't expect it. I enjoy most E3s even if I'm not interested in buying or playing like 80 percent of the games they show off and this one isn't any different.

More DLC being announced really interests me though. The door feels just about as wide open again today as it did back in the days of the base roster a year ago. I'm sure it'll narrow itself down once we get our first non pass DLC fighter but at the moment it feels nice. Not knowing who is coming or when is a fun feeling. If I had to guess I'd say we're still going to get a 3rd party character or 2. Capcom getting a DLC rep feels like a good bet. Characters who were relegated to spirits the first time around feel like they're back in the hunt now too. My eyes are on Geno specifically since his Mii Costume didn't come back. Edelgard and a Gen 8 pokemon(specifically the final form of Grooky) feel likely at the moment too, although I think we're only getting one of them. We've been on the Smash Ultimate journey for nearly a year and a half now, and even though it felt like it just got extended quite a bit I'm happy we get a little more time on the ride. Smash reveals are fun.

D

Deleted member

Reactions:
We got BK's release date, Terry's reveal, more DLC characters confirmed to be in development, and the SNES Online announcement. They're all pretty damn cool and pretty much made me more interested than the other stuff they showed, so I like that...

BUT MOTHER****ING DEADLY PREMONITION 2 GOT ANNOUNCED AND I'VE NEVER FELT SO EXCITED IN AN ANNOUNCEMENT IN EVER AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Noms: Zhao Yun x5

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Reactions:

Nice Hotel Luigi, Link’s Awakening, and Pokémon stuff.

Awesome SNES Online.

Disappointed in no Zelda ports, EarthBound or Pikmin.

Very happy with Banjo’s & Kazooie’s release today, they’re awesome. Also happy with more DLC so characters like Geno, Skull Kid, Midna, Porky, Steve, etc. have another shot, and of course we got SANS THE MANS joining the battle with a new rendition of Megalovania, didn’t expect that at all.

Not much to say on anything else, but Terry’s teaser was cool.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The Direct as a whole gets a 80% from me. None of the non-Smash content really stood out to me aside from the SNES online, Jedi Outcast getting ported, and Xenoblade Definitive Edition. Still a good solid Direct.

As for the Smash news...

100%​

Terry making it into Smash was a dream come true as he was in my top 3 for a while now (along with Kyo and Celica). I've talked about SNK making it into Smash for months now, but up until a few days ago I never thought it'd actually happen. For reference I gave the SNK rep concept a 15% chance many months back and a 10% recently. Even with everything they had going for them I thought they'd be outclassed by more popular companies but thankfully I was wrong.

Not gonna lie though: I've often flip-flopped between wanting Terry or Kyo more, and in the end I slightly wanted Kyo more as I like his playstyle more and I think KoF has better content to draw from. With that said, seeing Kyo almost get the invite only for it to fly out of his hands hurt to watch. Regardless, both Terry and Kyo were among my most wanted so I can't complain too much. The trailer itself was amazing and probably the most hyped I've been while watching a Smash trailer as I still wasn't 100% sure that Terry was gonna get the letter. The closest I've been to this level of hype was Isabelle's trailer and even then hers was nothing compared to this. And if all of this wasn't good enough, we got Banjo releasing today and more characters releasing in the future. Definitely more Smash news than I anticipated.

In a way I'm both upset and glad that the SNK leak happened. I'm upset in that I knew the whole SNK reveal was coming days in advance, so seeing the SNK themed trailer wasn't too much of a surprise. However, in the end I'm mainly glad that it happened since people were able to use those days to learn and get hyped for these characters. I own the Nakoruru thread and a ton of people came in to show their support for her in the past few days alone. And that is entirely what Smash is about: connecting with each other with your favorite characters and learning about new ones.

Thanks to everyone who supported any form of SNK content in Smash whether it had been for years or few days ago. I hope you'll be able to continue showing your love of SNK whether it be through Smash or any of their amazing games

Get KoF XV when it releases!

I'd also like to give a special thanks to the following people (sorry if I am forgetting someone):

Oh... and about what I said a while back...

1567653881057.png

I have a lot of real world stuff coming up, though I promise I'll have this finished by the time Terry releases.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Reaction:
I completely expected Terry.
More DLC was cool, if expected.
Xenoblade port is awesome, because I need to play that game.
Luigi's Mansion 3 looks cool
Sword & Shield stills looks bad
Sans mii costume was awesome. We got a remix of Megalovania and the best looking Mii Costume in the game.
Also sweet Banjo is out.
Disappointed about the lack of news regarding Zelda or a new Mario or Pikmin or well anything new besides Xenoblade, but it was good.
Also SNES on switch online is sick.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Woo boy what a Direct! Luigi's Mansion looking GOTY, Banjo released today, Terry looking mighty swagger, more DLC!!!

****ing like, Xenoblade 1 (don't have to buy a used copy on the Wii to replay it!), Jedi Knight II, Assassin's Creed IV (and I finally get to play Rogue!), Deadly Premonition was a super mind**** so I'm glad they make a 2 even if just for the lols, Doom 64 is ****ing great, Trials of Mana remake looking amazing with a release date yay!

Well, I thought what they showed of Sword and Shield wasn't that exciting but I think the game looks great, Little Town Hero looks whatever but I thought the MC was cool (he's called Axe and he's got a shield blade!). Thought Obra Dinn wasn't well executed so I'd rather get Papers Please on Switch but hey who cares.

SNES GAMES! I CAN GET MY FRIENDS TO PLAY EARTHBOUND!

Animal Crossing New Horizons looks gorgeous and it comes out on my birthday and I'm low-key dropping hints that it would maybe sorta be the best present (worked with DMCV and NieR Automata!)

I just whoa I can't really remember what else they showed but man oh man.

Also Banjo looks great, can't wait to jump in and play the goofy ******. Seemed like Sakurai wasn't too familiar with the series which just goes to show how much effort and dedication and love for attention he still puts into even a character he might not care about. I think even if you don't like Terry and don't care that he saw three moves and he looks super unique and you don't care about his history... *gasps for air* at least acknowledge Sakurai's earned himself a me-pick.

And Sandbag I'm gonna beat you so hard.

Finally I'd just like to give my congrats to resident SNK lovers Flyboy Flyboy and Sari Sari and also you were a big part in selling people to the idea and it finally panned out in the best way.

Ah crap I'm gonna have to fix noms, everyone agree that the Miis from this announcement (Sans, Proto Man, Zero, Goemon, Team Rocket) disconfirm, right?

Ah anyway Prince of Persia X5

(I've been seeing people really getting into Ezio for Smash with all the AC love and yayyyyyy)

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
I don't think Zero is
The rest are tho
Zero isn't because he has a second design that could potentially be used
Plus his costume was ported
The other are deconfirmed tho

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
I have completely given up on Pokemon SwSh but Little Town Hero looks kinda promising, and it is composed by Toby Fox? Music's gonna be the highlight I guess :V

Luigi's mansion looks better and better.

I havent played any Xenoblade but the remake looks gorgeous arceus ****ing christ

Animal Crossing tho, OH BOY. Its like Nintendo Minecraft but always in peaceful mode! I love how it is sandboxy and youre free to do whatever you want. The tropical aesthetic is also refreshing to see.

As someone who is a fan of arcades and fighting games, Terry being in smash makes me happy. He has like 3 crossover games now (fighting ex layer, a chinese fighting game, and now SMASH), which makes him the official mascot (?) of SNK. I was expecting a Metal Slug character TBH but I have used Terry in KOF along with Joe (which I expect to be an assist trophy) so I may have found my new main <3 also............ POWAH WAVE

As for Sans, I was blown away. I genuinely think this is just Sakurai testing waters and probably will add Frisk as the finale OR in the second DLC wave. It is the BEST Mii costume to date and I would love to hear Megalovania in Final Destination LOL. Now my little indie heart can be satisfied because indies are now represented, at least for now. I'd prob pass out in Frisk is announced together with the Deltarune soundtrack. Also DLC wave 2? I CALLED IT. No point of ending the support if switch and smashU is gonna live for like... 12 years. I reckon they about to get the roster up to 100.

Kirby RPG FTW BTW

Im only disappointed that I didnt get to hear about Bayonetta 3 tho. Guess I'll have to wait again LOL

Cabbagehead

#Ashley4Smashley
NNID
RadRedi
I've come to share my Direct reactions:

- I got more excited for Deadly Premonition 2 and Origins on Switch than I should have. I've never even played the first one, but now I can, haha.

- Terry as Smash DLC...well, glad to see we're back to the old grind with the DLC picks that I couldn't care less about. Congrats to the people excited about him. Wish I could be among you.

- Sans Mii Costume is a bundle of joy and a half. It's the only Mii Costume I've bought, and I've got the Megalovania remix playing behind me as I type this. Worth the dollar, hands down.

- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition is pretty neat, but I'm not a big graphics guy, and I already shelled a pretty penny for the original, so I'll hold on to it.

- I feel like I've seen trailers for Dragon Quest 11 more times than I've seen my own father.

- The Doom and Star Wars announcements were funny little left-field reveals that are pretty neat.

- The announcement of more Smash DLC is nice in theory, but I won't get excited until a character I want is announced.

- Pokemon news was cool - namely the Camp thing - but it hasn't really swayed my opinion of the game (as someone who loves to transfer his favorite Pokemon back and forth between games, the National Dex news killed my excitement for Sw/Sh).

- My opinions of LM3, Link's Awakening, and ACNH haven't budged. I'm super excited for New Horizons and am kind of looking forward to Luigi's Mansion. Link's Awakening is cool, in theory, but I can't bring myself to get excited for it.

- SNES games on Nintendo Online. About time. At this rate, we'll finally get our grubby little paws on those sweet, sweet GameCube games come 2021, assuming this becomes a trend...

- That Tokyo Mirage Sessions game... yeah, I ain't the biggest fan. Not gonna lie, the quick mention of "more Fire Emblem" or whatever gave me a quick burst of excitement that we'd be getting something Three Houses-related, so for a split-second, I was incredibly excited, and then I realized what they were actually talking about and got sad. Not a good way to introduce a game I'm already not gonna care about by default.

- Town still looks the same. I don't know how I feel about it.

All in all, kind of a nifty little Direct, but not the greatest one I've ever seen, or anything. I didn't really expect anything, so I had nothing to get my hopes up about.

PS: Apparently, Japan had a remake of the Famicom Detective Club games announced. If they had announced that for the US, then my opinion of this Direct would be infinitely more positive. Out-of-the-blue remakes of obscure Nintendo games is a niche little way to get me really excited, and from the little bit of footage they showed, it's something I'd certainly be interested in.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Hope in Ultimates future has been revitalised. More characters!!! Also interesting they specifically avoided saying its another fighter pass, just more characters. This makes me think.

I have a feeling this is perfect time to add some popular characters who don't need a stage, spirit board and ect. I think we're gonna get some First Party characters, and this excites me.

But it also leaves me thinking, are we gonna get more stages? Probably, a DLC tab would be easy, but are they gonna move the already dlc stages to this tab? We have a pretty good idea how the Character Select screen is gonna evolve, but the stage select screen leaves me scratching my head a little. It seems like they future proofed for a lot of characters, but not stages. I know what I'm nominating now I'm back.

Yep I'm Back. I have hope again! Before I had hope for only one character (Guh Huh) but now it's more, now I have hope for characters I have history with again!!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's see:

Predictions:

Luigi's Mansion 3 either gets a new, previously unannounced mechanic, a story trailer, or a gameplay demo that reveals way too much (I'm already sold, let me experience it when I play it!)

Unannounced mechanic (the 8 player thing) and the design choices for different floors. Loving it!

Link's Awakening leans hard into the Dungeon Maker.

Yeah, pretty much.

Dunno how Pokemon games are usually advertised so I'm going to go with starter evolutions revealed.

Don't think that's how it's supposed to be done, right? Those were pretty garbage tier reveals and this is someone who's hyped for the game.

A spin off of Zelda or Pokemon is announced.

Nope

Astral Chain accolades trailer.

nope

Something Ace Attorney. Nothing else from Capcom shows up.

nope, plus some Mii Costumes showed up. Also DMC2

No More Heroes III or Bayonetta 3 show up. Not both. Probably NMH.

Nope. Is Bayo 3 canceled or something?

SNK something.

This meant aside from Terry. And no, I don't think it did.

Star Fox makes some appearance, disappoints people.

Nope

Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Nope

Overwatch.

Wasn't too hard to guess

Doom Eternal gets the spotlight, sends people into a frenzy that he's totally getting into Smash as he got the spotlight.

not Doom Eternal, effing 64! Best universe!

Banjo shadowdrops. Short overview by a very tired Masahiro Sakurai. Makes a joke that somehow people twist into either confirming or disconfirming Fighter Pass 2.

Banjo did shadowdrop, Sakurai did joke and was tired. But more characters ain't no joke baby!

We sadly don't see Metroid Prime 4, BotW 2, whatever Retro had been working on, and Odyssey 2 if it exists.

Sigh... Yeah

Ubisoft does a thing.

A great one! AC 4 and Rogue, hell yeah! People unfamiliar with AC, play AC4. It's one of the best in the series and honestly one of the best games of the last console gen. Also the best pirate game.

Streets of Rage 4 and Monkey Ball Banana Blitz show up.

Sadly no

Square Enix releases a port of an RPG.

I don't think they showed anything aside from Trials of (which was already announced) but I wouldn't have it any other way

Doom 64 port for Switch.

Yes!

Terry Bogard not announced for Smash, meaning this groan-worthy discussion doesn't end.

Thank God no

Now for hopes

Ace Attorney 7 and Phoenix Wright in Smash.

Sadly no

New Mega Man (main or spin-off)

Nope

Devil May Cry did very well so the entire saga except for 5 is also ported (yes, including DmC).

It must have done great if they ported 2. If DMC2 sells then Nintendo will add Dante to Smash because that is a dedicated fanbase.

Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for Switch.

Sadly no but I'm still on the Hayabusa train

Fallout 3/4/New Vegas for Switch.

Nope

Persona 5 and/or NieR Automata for Switch.

Obviously no

New F-Zero/Golden Sun/Advance Wars/Nazo no Murasame Jo.

No, but we (or rather Japan) got a remake of Famicom Detective Club so that's great!

Both NMHIII and Bayo 3 are shown.

Yikes

****ing ports! Wonderful 101, Xenoblade 1, the 3DS Dragon Quest remakes, the DS FF remakes, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Scribblenauts Unlimited, etc.

To be frank I'm scared I got so much of this right.

This is the moment I admit I'm a leaker

Pikmin 4.

**** man I want this

Kingdom Hearts The Story So Far ported.

Well no

Something with Donkey Kong or Kirby on it.

That free to play Kirby 3DS game but now in HD. To be fair it was kinda fun

Kid Icarus Uprising 2 Electric Boogaloo.

Sigh

BoxBoy 5 baybeee

Too soon

Vanquish for Switch.

Would have been cool right? But Platinum is well repped on Switch so eh

Banjo shadowdropped. Fighter #5 also announced (someone cool like Hayabusa or Crash). Despite this, a Smash Direct is announced; what more could be revealed...?

Well, Banjo shadowdropped. No Fighter 5. But the implication of more fighters did pay off!

Noms: Prince of Persia x5

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I have only a few words for this one. As one Sr. Pelo once said...

"SANESSSSSSS!!!! YOU WANNA HAVE A BAD TOM?!"

Jokes about a certain Mii Costume aside, most of this was kinda eh to me. Not a huge fan of Terry, but I can at least take appreciation in the fact that the guy has history. He's also kinda seen as a rival to Ken when they crossover so there's that? Woulda preferred Reimu, but I digress. The announcement that there'd be more than just the Fighter's Pass for DLC characters gives me hope that one day, even if it's not today, the Hakurei Miko will get her time in the spotlight.

The only thing that really has me excited is the Banjo shadowdrop.

Also this should uh, pretty much invalidate the nominations for Terry because y'know... he's confirmed.

Noms: Reimu rerate x5

Last edited:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Direct Reactions:

- Overwatch on the Switch: This was something I expected ever since it was leaked. But nevertheless, I can't wait to play it on the Switch.

- Terry Bogard in Smash!: Oh man, did that trailer really gave me hype. I know I said that the 4th DLC Fighter should be someone different, but Terry is perfectly okay to me, even though I wish it was Kyo instead since he's my most wanted character.

- More DLC Fighters!: Oh yeah! That means my other most wanted character might have a chance to get in Smash (assuming she isn't the 5th DLC Fighter in the pass). You know what they say: the more, the merrier!

- Trials of Mana: I'm very happy that the game is getting a HD Remake. I've been playing the original game a long time ago and it was very fun. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

- Pokemon Sword and Shield: Customization looks pretty neat. Pokemon Camp are quite interesting to say the least. New Pokemons are quite good, especially Polteageist. Overall, I'm not as excited about this game as the others I mentioned.

- Animal Crossing New Horizons: Game looks impressive. I can't wait to play it once it is released.

Overall, the Direct wasn't bad. The only thing that gets me hype was Terry's reveal trailer and the More DLC Fighters announcement.

StormC

Smash Hero
Reposting from the other thread:

Did you honestly think we would be here, in this position, after this 18 months ago?

Did you think we'd have all the veterans back?

Simon Belmont? King K. Rool? Ridley? A Piranha Plant? Joker? Dragon Quest? Banjo & Kazooie? Terry Bogard? 2+ years of DLC?

DID YOU THINK WE WOULD HAVE SANS ****ING UNDERTALE?

I think Sans broke me. I'm done, I give up on Smash speculation. Nobody can guess Sakurai.

Remember BluePIkmin who thought they had Sakurai's thinking pattern down pat? Imagine trying to outguess the master.

ALL HAIL THE KING OF VIDEO GAMES.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Direct Reactions:
Overall, I'd give it about an 80% outside of Smash. Loads of wild reveals like DEADLY PREMONITION 2 FOR SOME ****ING REASON and a rerelease of the first. That's so great. I love videogames.

Overwatch was known, but exciting nonetheless. I used to really like it during the beta and it's first year, so I still am very very fond of it. Don't know if I'll pick up the Switch version but it wouldn't hurt to have it around.

Pokemon and Animal Crossing both look cute. Polteageist might beat Porygon as my new favorite Pokemon. Little Town Adventure is enjoyable as well, and I'm sure the soundtrack will be great. Lots of cool ports - pretty awesome that Black Flag and Rogue are coming to Switch. Surely this means the Ezio Collection is coming? I could absolutely see Ezio as the final pass character.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions being the thing that got ported....well, to be honest, despite being a MASSIVE Persona fan, I never really was that interested in that game. However, I know some people who are excited, so good for them. Xenoblade X next please.

Xenoblade 1 being remastered is Nice. It's Cool. I'm not really a Xenoblade guy outside of X. 1 has some great characters (I do Metal Face impressions all the time) and I know most recognize it as a masterpiece, but I prefer the setting and world of X as it's more traditionally Xeno. However, it looks gorgeous and I'll probably pick it up at some point. Ports and remasters so games don't die are like, unequivocally a good thing.

Also! New Famicom Detective Club! I pray it gets localized.

But the direct WITH Smash? And with the video after?

100% Satisfaction.

Terry!!! Oh man, I've yelled about it in other threads, but that beautiful trailer showed EVERYONE why we love SNK. Memorable characters with wonderful personalities. Gorgeous classic sprite work. When that Neo Geo startup sound hit my heart immediately started pumping, and for it to go into the KOF 94 intro, the Art of Fighting intro, Samurai Shodown, and even GEESEU...I legit got juked by Kyo and Geese and I would NOT have been unhappy with either. But instead we got my boy! The man I always wanted to steal the style of! My roommate's most-wanted! Terry friggin' Bogard! And I hope against hope that seeing that trailer helped people unfamiliar realize how cool he really is and how great this company is!

And more DLC! This made my heart sing! So many people I thought were off the table seen plausible now - Arle Nadja, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Travis Touchdown, 2B...even Nintendo characters like Elma, Captain Toad, and more! I'm confident in a Tales Of rep too! All on the table. I'm so satisfied with this pass now that I know we have more. I got two most-wanted never-evers in pack one, and I could get a third or at least get someone cool, and then it becomes a wild west and I love it!

And finally...any disappointment I had about MegaMan.EXE not returning as a costume has been mitigated...because if one man:

SAAAAAANS???

While it hurts we will never see Etika's reaction, Vinesauce Joel's reaction was basically mine - pure unadulterated joy and laughter. The Mii looks perfect and it coming with Megalovania is in and of itself just hilarious. I've already bought him with my gold coins. This is huge, and as cool as he would've been as a playable character, this is an excellent compromise.

I feel similarly about Goemon! It's so great to finally see him in Smash! If Nintendo keeps releasing these high quality Mii outfits, especially ones with a single music track, I don't see how they could go wrong. Sure, sometimes you want a full fighter and I understand, but the way the Sans Mii looks proportionally is just excellent.

Okay, one last thing: I told my friend about how Terry Bogard defeated Geese Howard and adopted Rock and how Terry is going to defeat all bad dads everywhere and become your new dad and now she loves him and says that he needs to become Cloud's Smash dad and I agree. Let's make this happen people.

Nominations: Velvet Crowe x5 (Is she locked in? I haven't posted in this thread for a while.)

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My reactions

Luigi's Mansion looks fun as always

The new Pokémon stuff is cool, but the Pokémon based n the cormorant is yet another fun Pokémon. I mean, it can shoot a fish out of it's mouth like a missile.

The Kirby game looks fun, and I'm surprised that it got a quick release.

Terry got in, but they way the prepared it was quite unique. Also Home Run Contest is back, more cool Mii Costumes, including Team Rocket (the first Pokémon based Mii Costume) and Sans, with some new tracks to boot. :ultbanjokazooie: are ready to rumble is well. Oh, and more DLC fighters on the way. Adeleine has a chance.

I also think the idea to use old school sprites for Mario and Sonic at the Olympics is another unique idea.

Animal crossing also looks fun, as with many other games.

That is all I got

Also Noms: 1 for Decidueye, 2 for Urbosa and 2 for King Boo

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I loved the idea of more DLC Fighters after the first fighter pack. Poochy and Bandana Dee are my most wanted fighters for this!
(Bandana Dee to complete the Dream 4 with Kirby, Meta Knight and Dedede.)
(Poochy due to Yoshi not having a second rep.)

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
The Heavy is a big 0 for me. i don't think Team fortresses has ever been on a Nintendo console

My nomination is for Duke Nukum. He has a game on the Switch

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Overall, I give it a 100%.

IHJOUHSOUNROIMPT HYPE Tier:
  1. Arle still hasn't gotten Mii'd! AND PUYO PUYO 2 IS COMING TO SNES ONLINE INSTEAD OF KIRBY'S WHATEVER HOLY ****BALLS AOUHAOHOEUHOUEHOU
  2. MORE DLC MEANS MORE TIME TO BRING UP ARLE BAYBEE! **** YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Yeah, that's amazing! Tier:
  1. Sans is in Smash as a Mii Costume!? Goemon too! This is awesome! And there's a new mix of Megalovania!
  2. Terry Bogard has his Engrish. Makes the whole build-up worth it.
  3. After ages of waiting, Banjo and Kazooie come home.
  4. A lot of the games they showed, even if I wasn't paying that much attention, still look really good!
  5. SNES Online in general besides Puyo 2 is looking much better than the NES Online service, as it takes risks and releases Japanese only games instead of pretending they don't exist.
That's pretty neat. Tier:
  1. Pretty much the rest of the direct. Pokémon Swish are tempting but I still consider the loss of anywhere between a few to several Pokémon almost a dealbreaker and there's gotta be more than that to convince me to purchase them or any merch.
  2. Banjo's moveset is sadly very boring to me, even if he's still a bit fun. Moveset wise, I think he's better than Joker but worse than Hero, though tier wise he feels like the worst DLC character yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in low tier.
Nintendo... we need to talk... Tier:
  1. I was unfortunately right about no Persona 5 and no Pikmin 4... the latter case is becoming a legendary tale of blue balls. I really hope Pikmin doesn't keep coming out on poor selling consoles or with spinoffs on the money making ones.
  2. *Squeenix instead of Nintendo* That's a pretty nice collection of the Erdrick trilogy you got there, SukuEni. Mind giving it to us in the west...? No... or at least not yet...? Okay...
Still, I got what I wanted. Puyo. And therefore I cannot bring myself to give it less than the 100% it deserves.

Rerate Arle x 10. **** More Bosses and **** Sunflower, they're waiting for this.

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
My Reactions
1:I knew it would come to the switch eventually but Overwatch is a nice addtion to the switch.
2:Trails of Mana was a surpise annoucement.
3:The new Kirby game is looking pretty good.
4:Mario and Sonic at the olympics Games 2020 also looks good.
5:Deadly Promotion 2 is a also a nice surpise annoucement.
6:Terry get annouced and i'm pretty exctited.
7:Banjo gameplay looked great.
8:I didn't expect that sans would be a mii costume.
so my rating is 80%(Really good direct) .
Nominations:Earthworm Jim X5

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Reactions

Wow. What a direct. Outside of Smash there was Overwatch, Jedi Knight 2, more Assassin's creed games, snes games, Doom 64, and more things I'm hyped about. Awesome direct. As for Smash, I'm mildly hyped for Terry. I'm not a SNK fan but I've had time to digest it due to the copyright leak and now I'm excited for him. Judging by that small gameplay tease, he is about what I would imagine he be and his model looks incredible. Also Sans as a Mii costume was completely out of left field (as usual for this series) and it was awesome that he came with Megalovania. Also, my jaw dropped when they announced Banjo for later on yesterday. I was not expecting him until around the 15th. So far he is very fun to play as.

And now, more DLC characters have been confirmed to be in development. What does this mean for speculation? Here are my thoughts:
  • There could very well be more characters from the same companies. I say that characters like Master Chief, Steve, Sora, Geno, Lara Croft, etc. are back in contention. Though it is likely most of the new characters will be from new companies as Sakurai did somewhat stress about the idea of "characters from new worlds".
  • They did not specify how many new DLC characters. We could be getting 3 or 20 more characters. This at least helps out characters like Monokuma for example who are popular, but would have been passed over for more popular characters due to the limited slots. I was worried that Banjo would be the only western character, but now it seems quite likely we will be getting at least a few more western characters, especially with a company like Bethesda who got a highlight in the direct (putting the mic over to a Bethesda rep to have an announcement for Doom 64, which seems a bit suspicious to me, but I might be overthinking it).
Whatever the case may be, we will be getting more newcomers and thus more speculation. I feel like this is going to be a long road. But an enjoyable road no less.

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
I'll rate it a solid 8/10. SNES Online looks dope, Kirby Clash Deluxe could probably entertain me enough till the next big game, LM3 and Animal Crossing continue to look great, Deadly premonition getting a sequel is pretty funny, Xenoblade remake might be something I'll check out and anything regarding Smash was absolute hype.

But did TMS really have to be out of every remaining Wii U exclusive the one to get ported tho? I was kinda banking on those HD Zelda games ngl.

Bandana Dee x5 We are back in buisness

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Well, this will be a long post. Won't tally noms because there were so few that I'll just wait for Kamek's day, this is just for confirmations and disconfirmations.

I'm also typing this while listening to that glorious Megalovania remix. Head's banging.

Definitive confirmations

More DLC (50.57% Chance, 88.76% Want)

SNK rep (originally 25.11% Chance, 58.31% Want, rerated 24.94% Chance, 63.06% Want)

Terry Bogard (145 noms)

Definitive disconfirmations

Boss Rush (35.71% Chance, 78.13% Want)

Question marks

Second Fighter Pass (40.43% Chance, 94.77% Want) - Depending on your point of view, this is either confirmed or disconfirmed. We are getting a second season of DLC, but it appears all but confirmed that it will be in the form of individual DLC rather than a Fighter Pass.

More Bosses (95 noms) - With Home-Run Contest being the last mode added it seems all but confirmed that we're not getting a Boss Rush mode. I don't see how more bosses could be added any other way, but if someone brings up some good points I'll keep this.

Sans (originally 3.85% Chance, 29.09% Want, rerated 17.69% Chance, 36.11% Want)

Proto Man (75 noms)

Also Goemon, Zero, and Team Rocket - Do we take the Mii Costumes that were added as disconfirmations? Or does truly everything go for the next season? I myself am pretty confident that the Sans costume releasing with Megalovania means they're not planning to add Undertale content. But do they even know what Fighters they'll be adding? How does this affect characters like Rex, Tails, Slime, etc. who were added as costumes before? At the very least, we know that the second season was a known factor when Hero's video was recorded so maybe his Costumes are also dead.

Anyway give your opinions on these matters.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With a new era of DLC coming out, I feel like everyone who was supposedly deconfirmed for the current season pass is in the running whether they were a mii costume, spirit, or even an assist trophy.

I wouldn't count the recent mii costumes as full on deconfirmations, though I do think they hurt their chances quite a lot.

D

Deleted member

SNK rep & Terry Bojangles:

The trailer they made was great, and Terry looks ****ing awesome. I decided to watch Maximilian Dood and Matt McMuscles' reactions to Terry, and seeing them gush in excitement made me really happy to see Terry in Smash. I can afford the wait on him since November is just only 2 months away, but the only unfortunate thing with Terry is that he got completely overshadowed by nearly every other Smash related thing that happened. It felt like he didn't get as much traction from his reveal when compared to Hero, and probably the biggest reason to why that's the case is because they didn't show enough of what Terry can do in Smash. By the time we get to November however, people will probably be more excited to play Terry as time goes by.
-------------------------------------------------

More DLC:

I was always of the mindset that the Fighter Pass will be the only set of DLC for Ultimate given Nintendo's track record with DLC for other games. The fact that I was wrong about this makes me glad that we'll see new fighters. Whoever's in the 5th Fighter Pack won't end up getting any blowback since people will still want to speculate who'd make it to Smash after he/she is revealed, so it's pretty much a big win for Ultimate. I should be concerned about Sakurai's health now since he'll be putting his work over his own well being though; even when he was on vacation, he doesn't stop thinking about work. Another thing I want to touch on is that Sakurai may have a new goal in mind for Ultimate, and that goal might just be to reach a roster of 100 fighters in Ultimate. He stated even if there's a new Smash game after Ultimate, it's highly unlikely that he'd be able to pull this off again, so why stop at 75 (82 when you include Echo Fighters) when you could go even further with it? The Switch's lifespan has an incredible amount of time left until the next console arises, so it's certainly possible that he's going to reach that goal a few years from now.
Mii Costumes:

Tbh, I didn't really know how they'd tackle the mii costumes coming with BK, so Banjo-Kazooie coming without any Microsoft related costumes was surprising. Mii Costume Theory is dead, so I'm glad for that. In regards to the specific Mii Costumes, I don't really care about Protoman and Zero since Mega Man costumes were also in the previous game. I didn't really expect Team Rocket and Goemon costumes though. Team Rocket's Mii Costume did confuse me a bit since Pokemon is a 1st party Nintendo IP and probably should've been in Smash to begin with, but maybe this was Pokemon Company's decision and not Nintendo's. As for Goemon, he does have a face that looks relatively close to a Mii, so he does make a great Mii Costume. Unfortunately, he got overshadowed because of 1 other Mii Costume. I also want to add now I'm going to be scared if a Koei-Tecmo character is added to Smash that isn't Hayabusa because then I'd start worrying on him becoming a Mii Costume, so I can get why there are people not too happy with Goemon being a Mii Costume.
Sans:

Sans' Mii Costume was the 2nd thing that made me jump off my seat yesterday. To think that Sans is in the game in some fashion really threw me off after so many dumb memes with him and Smash. The reason why I'm making a separate segment for him than the other Mii Costumes is because there's more to talk about him getting in than the others. He completely overshadowed Banjo-Kazooie's presentation and Terry's reveal trailer, and the fact that he even got his own little segment with Sakurai talking about Toby Fox really goes to show how huge of a deal this was. His body proportions actually fit Mii Gunner's and even came with a song, which essentially guarantees he'll be the most sold Mii Costume in Ultimate when you consider he was very requested to be in Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly, this Direct was to me what the E3 Direct should've been. Granted, there weren't really that many new announcements, but the overall feel I got from it all is just. . . far better.

I don't have any personal connection to Terry or SNK, but I love how he's a more niche pick, and throws Smash DLC speculation for a loop. I love how there's more DLC fighters than just the pass coming - there's just bound to be some more first-party characters among that. I'm actually even a bit more hopful that the last FP character will be an actual surprise, too. And of course, the Sans Mii costume. I only got to play Undertale with its Switch release, but I unironically loved the game since then. Sans isn't my favourite character from it, and Megalovania isn't my favourite song, but I'm still very, very happy to have both of them in Smash.

And beyond Smash. . . Luigi's Mansion 3 and Link's Awakening still look great. And while it wasn't really anything major, the segment on Pokémon Sword and Shield just felt like they had a lot more heart to it than the game's previous showings had. Lastly, the Xenoblade remake - while I'm still very annoyed that Xenoblade Chronicles X still isn't getting a port (especially when something like TMS#FE is getting one), 1 still is my favourite game of all time (on a shared spot with Okami), and a remake of it that adds Bionis' Shoulder back into the game is all I ever wanted.

Anyway. . . are we still putting out nominations today? Or is that going to wait until the next rating?

StormC

Smash Hero
TERRY FACES THE FURY!

I have no personal connection to SNK whatsoever but I am familiar with both Terry and SNK's legacy as a fighting game juggernaut. As someone who loves both 90s anime (avatar checks out) and fourth generation video games, that trailer got me pretty excited in addition to being hilarious. While it's a shame we got so little gameplay footage, I'm glad he's coming relatively soon and I think I will take the time to play more of SNK's games to get to know Terry better. It's both too bad that this got leaked but also sort of a blessing because a lot of people might have had more hostile reactions to Terry otherwise.

MORE DLC CONFIRMED

Gotta be honest, I saw this as a pipe dream scenario. Nintendo was always so conservative with their DLC, Sakurai has been working on Smash nonstop since 2012, and he said in his recent book DLC is not as profitable as people thought. Yet it happened anyway. Holy ****ing ****. Smash is insane. Ultimate will go down in history as one of the biggest achievements in all of video games and they will never top it with future sequels, which is exactly why Sakurai is doing this. While at this point, basically all of my big megahype wants are in and I know nobody they could announce could come close to Banjo & Kazooie as DLC, I am hopeful they will still be cool choices that enrich the roster and make me excited about continued support. While I buy all Smash characters/stages/music, I would like at least another 2-3 characters I have a personal connection to in order to stay invested (I'm already satisfied for the most part with the Fighters Pass). And hey, maybe some of these inclusions will introduce me to cool new games (I know Joker's did, big time).

This truly is going to be Sakurai's magnum opus and the grand finale to the last 20 years of Smash. I can't wait. It's already my favorite game of all time, but with all of this DLC? It's an absolute joke. Smash has never been, and will never be, this good again.

BANJO & KAZOOIE SHOWCASE

Banjo shadowdrop was ****ing godly. Yesterday was a FEAST for Smash fans. I was so certain we'd see them in October at the earliest, but they are chugging along at a great pace for this DLC. As for the content in the update, WOW, Spiral Mountain has so much love put into it. You can tell they wanted to go all out for the most requested character. I love that Sakurai put so much emphasis on Tooty's cameo, given that she hasn't appeared in 21 years. That was a legit shocker. Although I wish we got more song rips (no Rusty Bucket Bay or Grunty Battle Theme?), 7 remixes is incredible and more than double what I anticipated. You can tell Sakurai has a ton of respect for Kirkhope's legacy as a composer.

Banjo & Kazooie themselves are an amazing fighter. No fancy bells and whistles, just a straight up homage to N64 platforming goodness. They play exactly like you would expect if they were added back in Melee. Wonderwing and Breegull Bash both feel extremely satisfying to land, and I love their alt colors, ESPECIALLY the Grunty one. I seriously never thought K. Rool would have competition for a main, but B&K make the case for a very close secondary. It's a god damn good time to be both an old school Rare fan and a Smash fan. (Dixie in season 2 pretty please?)

The lack of Rare Mii costumes is kind of disappointing, but I never buy Mii costumes anyway. Well. Except for one...

SANS UNDERTALE

This was the point where I say "I give up." I give up trying to predict Sakurai. I'm done. I can't outguess him. He's got me beat just when I think I've figured him out, and I am LIVING for it. The Sans Mii costume might be the most shocking and simultaneously funniest addition in Smash history, not to mention Sakurai casually talking about meeting Toby Fox and playing Smash with him. The costume itself is amazingly detailed and a Mii Gunner moveset fits Sans really well. But of course, I would be remiss to not talk about...

MEGALOVANIA. Megalovania is in Smash. Literally what the ****. I assume this is all some big prank that is going to come undone at some point. I have fought Mewtwo playing as Banjo on Duck Hunt's stage while Megalovania plays. As someone who remembers Megalovania back from Toby Fox's days working on Homestuck... this is just mindblowing. This has me excited for what else Smash has in store for us while we chug along into season 2 of DLC.

HOME RUN CONTEST

Uh, this exists. Cool for those who like it. I basically never played it in the old games and that will continue to be the case here.

OVERALL

Yesterday was a megaton of Smash news that nobody expected. Probably some of the biggest announcements since the November Smash Direct. The future of Smash is looking brighter than ever, and I can't thank Sakurai enough for how hard he's worked for us. While not every decision or character is going to be something I love, I trust his vision going forward and nobody can say he doesn't care about giving the fans what they want. Never in a million years after Smash 4 did I think we would get here... but Sakurai finds a way to top himself each time.

I'm not gonna put arbitrary numbers or values or anything, but between all this Smash news and playing as Banjo for like, 5 hours straight last night, I'm so blessed we live in this timeline. While before I was a little weary about being stuck in Smash speculation for so long after the Fighters Pass, I trust it will work out. Bring on the next set of DLC!

Last edited:
Top Bottom