• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
alright then ive love these too so im gonna do some speculating even though i have done for ages

agumon

chances: ive no idea actually, though im not sure theyre great, he did debut in a game so that should be good enough and digimon has enough of a following i feel, but i for some reason i have trouble thinking it could happen, but every time we think that about a certain character it ends up happening anyway, so i feel like hes both unlikely but exactly the sort of curve ball character sakurai might include

want: 100% i love digimon, there was a time would i just wrote off this idea as impossible, but he is a video game character and weve reached the point where i dont think we can rule out any video game character unless sakurai or whoever owns them says no, this would be an impossible dream come true

jibanyan

chances: 50% i feel jibanyan has a good shot, yo-kai watch had the popularity and even though its dwindled recently i think its had enough of an impact for it to be within in the realms of possibility and should not be so readily ruled out

want: 100% i think i have a thing for franchises about strange creatures, ive have come to love the yo-kai watch series certainly my favourite level-5 franchise out of the few ive played (dont tell the layton fans) and that strangely adorable red cat with nyan speech would be an incredible inclusion

on a related note anyone whos ever written off digimon or yo-kai watch as a pokemon clone is dead wrong, as a fan of all three i can assure you there all quite different

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
alright then ive love these too so im gonna do some speculating even though i have done for ages

agumon

chances: ive no idea actually, though im not sure theyre great, he did debut in a game so that should be good enough and digimon has enough of a following i feel, but i for some reason i have trouble thinking it could happen, but every time we think that about a certain character it ends up happening anyway, so i feel like hes both unlikely but exactly the sort of curve ball character sakurai might include

want: 100% i love digimon, there was a time would i just wrote off this idea as impossible, but he is a video game character and weve reached the point where i dont think we can rule out any video game character unless sakurai or whoever owns them says no, this would be an impossible dream come true

jibanyan

chances: 50% i feel jibanyan has a good shot, yo-kai watch had the popularity and even though its dwindled recently i think its had enough of an impact for it to be within in the realms of possibility and should not be so readily ruled out

want: 100% i think i have a thing for franchises about strange creatures, ive have come to love the yo-kai watch series certainly my favourite level-5 franchise out of the few ive played (dont tell the layton fans) and that strangely adorable red cat with nyan speech would be an incredible inclusion

on a related note anyone whos ever written off digimon or yo-kai watch as a pokemon clone is dead wrong, as a fan of all three i can assure you there all quite different
You do realise I'm going to tell the Layton fans SPECIFICALLY because you told me not to, right?

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Agumon

Chance: 5%
I gotta admit, Digimon is quite a big series from Bandai Namco and it has some quite the following in the West, but it is overshadowed by other Bandai Namco properties such as Tekken, Soul Calibur, Tales, and etc.. Plus, there's the question of whether Bandai Namco themselves will be bringing a second fighter into Smash Ultimate via Fighter's Pass or not, so all in all, it's not looking great for Agumon here in terms of chances.

Want: 80%
I love the Digimon franchise as it's one of my favorite games that I've played when I was a kid. I even own one of the virtual pets when it was first released and I love the heck out of it. I would really love to have a Digimon representation in Smash and Agumon is the perfect choice to represent the franchise since it's one of the most iconic Digimon.

Jibanyan

Chance: 25%
Yo-Kai Watch was quite popular when it was first released in Japan, but nowadays it had a decline in sales and popularity. Plus it never got the popularity it had in Japan when it was released in the West. Despite all that, I still believe Jibanyan is likely to represent Level-5 in Smash as DLC. However, I'd be lying if I say Jibanyan is more likely to get in than Professor Layton, another character from Level-5. Both him and Layton are even in terms of chances since they both have Nintendo-exclusive games and they are still relevant today, so it's pretty much a coin flip between Jibanyan and Professor Layton when it comes to a Level-5 rep.

Want: 50%
Unlike Digimon, I haven't played any Yo-Kai Watch games so I have no real attachment to any of it's characters. However, I find Jibanyan to be an interesting character when I first looked at it and it will definitely bring something unique in Smash. But I still prefer Professor Layton to represent Level-5 as I find him to be more interesting and he might bring a unique moveset in Smash.

Predictions:
Crash Bandicoot - 58.51%
Spyro - 13.77%

Nomination:
Saber (Fate) x5

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Agumon

Chance: 33%

You reading this now might think that's really high(?), & compared to what the masses believe, it surely looks that way. Not a great deal of people from the majority even believe for a second that this reptilian Digimon even holds a candle to other big-time choices. Although, I do want to address the biggest thing that Agumon has going for him--- it's not solely because he's a Digimon created by NamcoBandai & that they're co-developing the game. It's not solely because Heihachi or Lloyd or another prime choice is missing-in-action from the current roster.
It's because, imho, he's a character that would fit the much-needed criteria of an interesting dynamic. The true reason he's 33% to me is because he competes with other familiar Banmco characters. Otherwise? Digivolution as a concept & to be exercised in the game design would literally trump a lot of other unique ideas. IMHO. DLC makes that someone want to continue playing the game. To want to enjoy it for the newest flavor once it drops. Nevermind that Heihachi.. has become a taunt for PAC-MAN now? At least he's had representation in Smash Bros. in *some* form right? Getting to cameo as a Mii costume in Smash 4 in terms of both Heihachi & Lloyd is a lot better exposure than nothing. At least Lloyd fits better for the Mii Swordfighter's specials a tad. But do they sell their ideas of a move-set in Smash? Of course they do, but does it make an impact to the slot?

Sakurai in the past has stated in an interview that basically none of the NamcoBandai cast were "strong candidates". And that "only a few were in consideration" at the time. But who knows?? By this time, he might be more likely as a character who could function the way they would want him to in Smash. Same with Lloyd.

Point is, if:
-:ultpokemontrainer: can switch between three pocket monsters
-:ultshulk: including himself Vanilla can have five arts that radically change his parameters
-:ultcloud: can use Limit to boost some parameters alongside augmenting his specials
-:ultjoker: can have a stand that augments his move-set through change or additional strength via extra damage & hitboxes
-:ulthero: can have one input that's over TWENTY different moves, along with 3 versions of each special

...then a Digivolution Down Special to fill the character slot is more than enough. You're talking about at LEAST 2 different digimon in one character slot, if not 4 complete digimon. That actually means that you have 26 moves in an entire move-set for Agumon, & then be completely changed for 26 brand new if-not-altered moves in the move-set. And don't forget that there's Rookie, Champion, Ultimate, & Mega levels... and maybe the Fresh or In-Training forms if they wanna get spicy. That alone is always more bang for the buck than just picking a singular character in your selection. Look at Banjo & Kazooie?? That's literally two characters-in-one package deal for a singular character slot. If they continue to follow this devotion & raise the bar of the player's expectations for the upcoming DLC characters, then Agumon is more than perfect to sell that reason.

Want: 90%

Apart from the realistic chance for a representation of a Digital Monster in Smash Bros., he's a huge HUGE wanting of mine to enter the fray. When I first played the Digimon World game on the PlayStation, it was after I already was playing Super Smash Brothers on the Nintendo 64. And it never crossed my mind as a child that I wanted Agumon as a character to play in the franchise of Smash Bros. However, that was until I learned that the sequel was to release on GameCube. And so on, and so on. As time passed, the idea of Digimon as a franchise especially for its games grew to me. Much like other series like Spyro The Dragon & what-not. By this point, it became a grand opportunity, at least to me. It's because the idea no longer seems impossible now like it was years ago.

If you asked me how likely it would of been for Agumon to get into Smash Bros. 10+ years ago while Melee was already out & Brawl was coming, I'd tell you: "Hah, probably not. Agumon's been on a few games but it's not that likely. He could fit, but how would they even handle his move-set??" Yet, in this day and age, the franchise isn't dead. It's not even old news. This series in fact has had a resurgence, as if life was breathed into it once again in the past years. And that means something. Ultimately, I would much prefer Guilmon to be the fighter, because that would mean my precious Gallantmon would be guaranteed in the move-set in some form of way. Plus, I love Guilmon a lot. However, we know that Agumon is more-so the true face of Digital Monsters. If anyone is to represent an entire franchise... not just a season of an anime. Not just a game. But ALL of it, then no one else comes close. The only real fun & question to answer is what Agumon would exactly represent with his main gimmick. That's the best part. Figuring that out with theory. And that's why Agumon is a much more fun character to think about in Smash than most characters for me. I've played & played all sorts of play-styles in Smash Bros., & the last time I was shocked in amazement falling in love with the Smash franchise all over again was Shulk with his dynamics. Digivolution would absolutely be the greatest refreshment of a mechanic to ever hit Smash Bros. since Hero (Was going to say Joker until they made Hero crazy cool with move-set ability.) As a DLC character, he'd be insane & fun to play for his mechanic. And that's a huge incentive for a reasonable choice to buy Agumon for DLC. if I was a consumer.

Jibanyan
Chance: Abstain
Want: Abstain

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Agumon:

Chance: 1%

Make no mistake, I'd absolutely love to see Digimon in Smash, there's no other series I'd rather see included at this point, it's incredibly important to me and it'd help it get into the public eye again. However, I don't believe that it'll happen, not now, and probably not even in future games. As much as I love it, Digimon is a series that's well past its peak and has been running on little else but nostalgia fuel for the longest time now, I realize it still racks in quite a bit of money and has enough demand for games to still be made and localized, but it's still a fairly niche series these days that depends almost entirely on all the things it did 20 years ago. I don't believe either Sakurai or Nintendo would be interested in bringing in a series like that, it does not have the Nintendo connection or fan demand of something like Banjo-Kazooie to make up for its shortcomings, the closest it has is a fan made rivalry with Pokémon, which is again something that was only relevant two decades ago. Tekken, Tales and Dark Souls are all more likely Namco properties to get into Smash imo, and although I don't believe that they pick characters just based on who owns them, companies tend to only get one character per game/DLC, so that's quite a long queue to wait through.

As for Agumon himself, he's the obvious choice for Digimon, and although he's not one of my personal favorites, I still like him. His moveset potential is rich as all of his Digivolutions are fairly distinct in what they can do, maybe they wouldn't include all of them, and he could be a bit of a balancing nightmare as some previous meter characters have been, but it's still there. The biggest thing for me would be the IP getting recognized by Smash though, it would be such a big moment for it and finally get it up there with the big boys again.

Abstain on Jibanyan.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

agumon

jibanyan

>(don't tell the layton fans)

Too late! Unfriended, Unfollowed, will not invite to my birthday parties anymore!

Just kidding, you can want whoever you want, Jibanyan Bro.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Jibanyan
Chance: 15%
Jibanyan would have better chances in Smash 4, back when Yokai Watch was a massive sensation that could give Pokemon a run for its money. Now, it has faded, and he now has to compete with the incredibly popular Professor Layton to be Level 5's rep in Smash, if that company does get one.

Want: 0%
I was never into Yokai Watch. I have no attachment to this character.

Agumon
Chance: 60%
Digimon only really faded away in the West. In Japan, you can still find merch on the shelves and the series is still very much popular. Also, Sakurai has had difficulty porting over Tekken's game mechanics into Smash in the past so unless he can find a way to do it properly then Heihachi's probably not getting in, while a Tales rep would be the third JRPG character in the Pass, which would fly in the face of Nintendo's claim that the Pass characters appeal to many different people. Considering the recent resurgence of the series (which included Adventure Tri, the Cyber Sleuth games, Lost World, and now Survive and the new Adventure movie) and the fact that there's three Digimon projects coming to the Switch I can see Sakurai adding Agumon. The chances are not going to be higher because of the chance that Namco Bandai isn't getting a character at all.

Want: 40%
I am a fan of Digimon and I would love to see the character be added into Smash. If they could properly add the Digivolution mechanic then I can see Agumon as a very unique character.

Noms: Concept: Fighter Pass isn't all third party x5

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Weird I stopped getting notifs for this thread. Anyways.....

Agumon
Chance 10 - If this was 10 years ago I really think there's a shot this happens. Right now though.... eh I can't see it. Feels like Digimon's popularity is fading hard. Did a quick search and I legit thought the series was dead, and it turns out they just had a few get released in the last few years. Haven't heard a single word about them coming out or being played by anyone at all.

Want 30 - Never touched a single Digimon game in my life. Used to watch the show as a kid and liked it well enough. Always preferred Pokemon more. Overall I don't have that much of a connection to the character and if Agumon got it I wouldn't mind it but wouldn't love it either.

Jibanyan
Chance 20 - I'm going to say there actually is a chance here, but I don't think it's that big of a chance. Much like Digimon it feels like YoKai Watch has faded quite a bit in the last few years. I feel like Professor Layton would be the better pick from Level 5 personally.

Want 0 - Not really interested. No connection to the character at all. Seems like the type of pick that just wouldn't be for me

Noms
Kratos x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
tenor.gif

These ratings will be harsh but man am I seeing some overrates here.

Jibanyan

Yo-Kai Watch is dying. It's sad, I kinda liked it, but it's past its peak. It certainly didn't live up to the (perhaps unfair and unrealistic) expectations of the 'Pokemon killer' that it got burdened with. Certainly didn't make the impact that Pokemon did, or break into the mainstream in the same way. Maybe Level-5 would want to get it into Smash as a last hurrah to try and get back on track, but I dunno. Would Nintendo even want to do so? Yo-Kai Watch is Nintendo exclusive, but it's also a rival to Pokemon, and we all know how important TPC's mandates are. Plus at this point I wouldn't even expect it to be well received so I don't think they'd try it.

Professor Layton is more iconic, more unique and more successful, so I think there's no contest.

That 0% is mostly Layton desire. I have played the original Yo-Kai Watch, the concept of not being able to directly control the Yokai didn't appeal to me. Plus, I expect a certain pedigree from third-parties that the series doesn't qualify for.

Agumon

Digimon is an iconic anime franchise that just happened to have its origins as videogames and be owned by a videogame company. I don't think it's on the radar for Smash. The Digimon games have the acclaim and sales of any standard licensed game; not really one of the gaming greats.

Plus while Pokemon vs. Digimon was a thing in the 90s, it turned out to be as short-lived as Pokemon vs. Yo-Kai Watch. Digimon really thrived on opposition more than as its own thing (not saying that it doesn't have merits, but I think it's fair to say that it's less Marvel vs. DC and more VHS vs. Betamax), and when it stopped being a worthy rival to Pokemon it simply... stopped being. It still gets games, but it's super niche. So it wouldn't be a big deal like it appears most characters for DLC are trying to be.

Want: 4%
Never had any experience with Digimon. Got a friend who's super into the current games, so I guess that's something. But to be honest, when all people will remember Digimon for is for the anime and for being not-quite-Pokemon, I don't think that merits a place in Smash.

Still, Agumon is technically an iconic videogame character (just like Geralt is an iconic book character and Joker is technically from an iconic book series), so I would tolerate him, I guess.

Noms: Cronox5

Predictions: Crash will get 87%
Spyro probably something like 19%

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Okay, let's get to this. . .

Discount Charmander

Chance: 20%
Well, let's see what Digimon as a series has going for it. One, they're third-party and from Bandai Namco, who are already represented in the game and don't have any more characters than Pac-Man. Two, Digimon games have been kind of on an upswing recently? I'll be honest, I haven't really seen much of that happen, so I'll just take other people's word for it. But really, I just don't think that a Digimon character has the history of strong demand that other (older) third-party characters have thus far. In all, I feel like 20% might be a bit generous.

Nope. I have zero connection to Digimon, and I generally don't really like their designs from what I've seen. Plus they're another third-party, which automatically lowers their want for me immensely.

Yokai-What??

Nothing's impossible, and so on and so forth. But really, the series has been on an heavy decline in recent years, and doesn't look like it'll become a big thing again anytime soon. This means that Japanese demand is lower, whereas Western demand. . . well, that has never really been a thing, let's be real.

Want: 10%
Eh, he's got an interesting design? I have admittedly no idea as to what Jibanyan can actually do, but he would have a more unique fighter design. Still nothing I'd ever actively root for, though.

Nominating Amaterasu x5
(Though what was that about getting x10 noms? Was that today already, or only the next day?)

And to do predictions for once:
Crash I can see getting around 67.8%
Spyro I can see getting around 41.3%

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
Its interesting seeing how low people are rating Agumon's chances here. I would be curious to see Crash Bandicoots chances when realistically Agumon should be rated higher.

Agumon is from a company already helping with Smash with Digimon games having a history on the Nintendo consoles as well. Digimon has a game releasing this year for the switch which is a port of a fan favorite game and next year a new game is coming to the switch. What about Crash Bandicoot has people convinced he has a high chance of getting in the game?

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Its interesting seeing how low people are rating Agumon's chances here. I would be curious to see Crash Bandicoots chances when realistically Agumon should be rated higher.

Agumon is from a company already helping with Smash with Digimon games having a history on the Nintendo consoles as well. Digimon has a game releasing this year for the switch which is a port of a fan favorite game and next year a new game is coming to the switch. What about Crash Bandicoot has people convinced he has a high chance of getting in the game?
Keep in mind Agumon has strong competition for a namco Rep. Tales, Soul Calibur, Tekken, heck Dark Souls all are strong competition. As such, Agumon might be lower on the totem pole.

As for Crash, well I got a huge write up tomorrow which says why I think Crash is the most likely character for dlc.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Keep in mind Agumon has strong competition for a namco Rep. Tales, Soul Calibur, Tekken, heck Dark Souls all are strong competition. As such, Agumon might be lower on the totem pole.

As for Crash, well I got a huge write up tomorrow which says why I think Crash is the most likely character for dlc.
its only competition if theyre also in consideration as far as we know he may only consider one character and not even give the others a look

we have no way of knowing who was on that list nintendo gave sakurai or who sakrai's first choice would be

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
its only competition if theyre also in consideration as far as we know he may only consider one character and not even give the others a look

we have no way of knowing who was on that list nintendo gave sakurai or who sakrai's first choice would be
we don't. But a lot of people (myself included) don't think Digimon/Agumon would have made the list even if there were multiple Bamco reps on it.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
i honestly think weve reached the point where we cant rule any one out
I mean I think we can rule out another Square character and other not so prolific characters but from big name games I think its fair game.

Saying Agumon has strong competition is a valid point however this could also be for Crash & Spyro or Resident Evil & any other Capcom as well, every character that we speculate will have some form of competition.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
i honestly think weve reached the point where we cant rule any one out
I don't think we can rule anyone out entirely, it's why I don't give out 0% chance scores. However I do think if Nintendo gave Sakurai a list of 5 Namco Bandai characters to consider for Smash, I personally doubt Agumon would have been one of them.

Saying Agumon has strong competition is a valid point however this could also be for Crash & Spyro or Resident Evil & any other Capcom as well, every character that we speculate will have some form of competition.
I guess it comes down to, "how do you personally stack internal competition from different companies" with a side caveat of whether they'd fit in Smash. Activision have a load of franchises bigger than Crash. Do they have a franchise that fits as well? Probably not,

But I also think comparing Agumon to Resident Evil is only true insofar as they both have competition, but Resident Evil is the biggest franchise Capcom have not in Smash, whereas Digimon isn't that for Bandai Namco (in terms of video game sales at least).

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
But I also think comparing Agumon to Resident Evil is only true insofar as they both have competition, but Resident Evil is the biggest franchise Capcom have not in Smash, whereas Digimon isn't that for Bandai Namco (in terms of video game sales at least).
Digimon may not be the best in terms of sales but in having a single recognizable character it beats Tekken and The Tale Of .... series. Tekken has 3 characters that could be considered the 'main face of the game' and Tales of has a new protagonist each game (and another JRPG character would be a bad marketing decision by Nintendo) whereas when Digimon is mentioned Agumon (or Greymon) is the first Digimon anyone who recognizes the franchise would think of.

I think recognizability is the single most important aspect of smash speculation a lot of people seem to brush off by talking about a bigger series. fighting games are generally filled with very 'generic' characters that aren't recognizable to many people who haven't played the game. A character like Pikachu or Mario most people will recognize because they have seen them on a magazine or something similar and their character designs are not the 'realistic' kind which is much more forgettable (especially nowadays).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Crash Bandicoot has:
- More support
- More mainstream appeal
- Much weaker competition within his own company
- More acclaim
- A higher profile

Digimon has seen better days. I don't think it's a matter of Crash having high chances, it's more of a matter of Digimon having abismally low ones.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Crash Bandicoot has:
- More support
- More mainstream appeal
- Much weaker competition within his own company
- More acclaim
- A higher profile

Digimon has seen better days. I don't think it's a matter of Crash having high chances, it's more of a matter of Digimon having abismally low ones.
id say thats all speculative (hoed this become agumon v crash)

and digimon is doing fine, it has sevreal new games coming a big movie as well

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
id say thats all speculative (hoed this become agumon v crash)

and digimon is doing fine, it has sevreal new games coming a big movie as well
Yeah, the Mana series is doing fine too, but doing fine doesn't translate to big Smash chances. Granted, this is all speculation.

D

Deleted member

Agumon

I don't have anything to say about Digimon, but as far as a BN rep is concerned, Agumon sure doesn't sound the likeliest of characters to be in the Fighter Pass. Even if Agumon would rep the Bandai side of BN, Namco still has a lot more characters and franchises to offer for the Fighter Pass since they happen to be more popular in the video game industry than Digimon, so any chance of Agumon coming to Smash is very low in my eyes.

Want: 5%

I'd give a pretty hard pass on Agumon since I never grew up seeing anything relating to Digimon, and I was more of a Pokemon vs Yu-Gi-Oh kind of guy since unlike Digimon I actually watched the Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh animes back when I was a kid (also Mewtwo vs Dark Magician sounds pretty cool). Because of these reasons, Pokemon vs Digimon doesn't really feel all that exciting to me.
----------------------
Jibanyan

Like Digimon, I don't have anything to say about Yo-Kai Watch. However, Jibanyan doesn't exactly have too much competition to rep Level-5 since it's basically just him, Layton, and maybe a Ni No Kuni protagonist (although Ni No Kuni is published by Bandai-Namco so maybe it's not considered a Level-5 rep), but like I said with Layton when we were rating him, Jibanyan seems like a character that would've been revealed early on and not saved as 1 of the last 2 characters in the Fighter Pass. The main reason his chances seem far lower than Layton's is because there's more fan demand for Layton than there is for Jibanyan, and Yo-Kai Watch is a series that I find no confidence in being able to sell well as a 4th and 5th Fighter Pack to Nintendo.

Want: 5%

I honestly don't have anything to say about Jibanyan for the want portion as I've never seen or played anything Yo-Kai Watch related. However, he doesn't exactly stick out as a potentially cool pick for the Fighter Pass, so I'd give it a pretty hard pass as well.
----------------------

Predictions:
Crash: 48.02%
Spyro: 11.35%
----------------------

Noms:
Zhao Yun x5

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Agumon

Chance - 4.5% - What was once held as a proper rival to Pokemon is now a shadow of it's former self. It's no longer the juggernaut it once was, and I think Namco would prioritize other franchises compared to one that isn't in high demand or notable right now.

Want - 60% - Eh. I guess it's an acceptable third party, but one that I don't really care for. While I guess I can accept them, I care about them less than other franchise that I feel similar towards.

Jibanyan

Chance - 10% - Honestly, when it comes to Level 5, it's going to come down to him or Prof. Layton. Once held as a potential killer of Pokemon, it's in a bit of a decline, although still going relatively strong. However, compared to Layton, he lacks international appeal, resulting in a bit of a lower chance when it comes to choosing one for level 5. Still, I can see them picking him for a variety of reasons.

Want - 40% - I would much prefer Layton. I don't care for him.

Nominations

Cadence X5

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
Agumon
Chance 40%:whille Agumon has a decent shot being in the fighters pass(it's getting an upcoming game, Digimon Survive)He has a lot of competition other namco franchises like tekken, Dark Souls,Tales of, that makes Augmon pretty difficult to be the most likely.
Want 70%:even though I haven't played the Digimon games, I have watched the digimon anime,and I Would really like to Agumon with his abilities and especiallyhis digivolve abilities.
Jibanyan
Chance 50%:his games has sold very well in japan but he has competition with professor layton so i can't rate him higher.
Want:Abstain, I haven't Played the games or watched the anime.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day over, Rate Crash and Spyro, Predict Maxwell and The Knight (Hollow Knight).

Crash

85% Chance

Yeah. I honestly feel really really good about Crash's chances right now. Call me an optimist (potentially an extreme one), but right now I have a really good feeling about Crash.

While we potentially only have two slots left (at least unless FP2 is confirmed), Crash in my opinion has the strongest case out of any character right now.

One thing that helps Crash out a lot is the legacy of the Crash franchise. Crash was Sony's answer to Mario. Crash was the PS1 icon. I feel I can not state that enough. Being the mascot of the PS1 is a big deal. Like a really big deal. When you are one of the main faces of the system that outsold the N64 3:1 that is a big deal. The PS1 games alone sold close to 22 million copies at the time. What is especially important about this is the fact Crash was a global icon. Crash 1 was one of the first non Japanese games to crack 500,000 units in japan. This era would cement Crash as a pop culture icon, something people think about when they think about the 90s.

While the post Naughty Dog Years were not as stellar, the series still managed to have a presence. Crash then became multiplatform after ND left the franchise behind. Crash still sold well enough to have sold enough so at this point, the franchise sold around 50 million units before the N Sane Trilogy would come out. However, Crash would go on a long hiatus from 2008-2016, with the franchise looking bleak.

Then Crash came back. In a big way. In a N Sane Trilogy selling over 10 million units way. Crash had a massive success for his revival, which would lead to Spyro also coming back (more on that later). Crash also made his return to Nintendo platforms after 1 year of exclusivity. CTR also did well but that is too recent to matter, all it does is help reinforce Crash is back.

So why am I so high on Crash right now? To me, Crash seems like a perfect storm in which most of the barriers he could have faced are gone. Crash is in the limelight again, and is once again one of the biggest names in gaming. Crash and Activision have been historically supporting Nintendo, to the point Bowser and DK were in Skylanders. Crash also has the massive benefit of timing. In all honestly, I would likely rate Doomguy higher in hindsight since I think timing and popularity are the two most important things for most characters. The only exception I can really think of is for shill picks by Nintendo. Joker and Hero especially made me realize that being released in the 2016-2018 window, when DLC was likely being brainstormed, is a massive boon (See :ultjoker::ulthero:). The main thing Doomguy does not have as much that Crash does is global staying power. Crash has the benefit of being a very inoffensive pick, a franchise that is successful worldwide which would likely mean that it would be well received. Crash also being a popular character in Japan helps him as a result. Crash is definately popular in the West. This might be confirmation bias, but I see Crash often getting discussed for Smash and appearing in fan polls. Usually each place on the internet has their own characters that have way larger support (4chan loves Reimu and Doomguy, Smashboards has a big Geno following still, Reddit tends to have a soft spot for Isaac, etc), but Crash usually always rears his head.

I honestly think there is nothing really going against Crash. I know someone might inevitably say Banjo already appears in his niche, but lets be honest that really is a stretch. Moveset wise they would not fight alike at all, and if you are talking visually that really is a stretch. We got two RPG protags this time, and two sword fighters last time. Going off of any real idea of patterns on who we have honestly does not work. The only thing I feel goes against Crash is the fact that we are getting towards the end. But right now, I honestly can say I feel Crash is the most likely character. Sometimes I eat my hat when I say something is likely (I was someone who believed the Grinch, and I thought that the Black Knight and Lycanroc were very likely for base), but usually when I got this gut feeling, I tend to be right. I had it in Sm4sh with Shulk and Robin, I had it this time with Ridley, Dark Samus, Chrom, and K Rool in the base game. Right now my gut feeling tells me Crash is likely.

Spyro
15% Chance

To be honest, a large part this is so high is due to me thinking Activision might try to get him for Season 2 if there is one. It makes business sense. Spyro is having his classic revival too, the Reignited Trilogy on Switch and CTRNF give them an opportunity to make Spyro have a second chance in Japan again, and Nintendo clearly thinks Spyro is a big deal to start off their E3 Direct with RT even in Japan.

But aside from my gut crackpot theories, Spyro does not have the two things that Crash has that make him so likely to me: Worldwide appeal and timing. The RT Trilogy, while a huge success, did not come out until 2018, which is on the later end for DLC to benefit from timing, at least in my eyes. Furthermore, the PS1 spyro games were butchered in the 90s in Japan, and as a result did not sell well. Like actually look at the camera and changes they made it makes the games worse.

But Spyro does have a few things going for him. Much like Crash, Spyro is a big franchise. Is it as big as Crash? No, but he is still a large franchise of note. Skylanders also kept him somewhat relevant even when he was in an arguable drought as well. Spyro also is a franchsie that while not as synonymous with the PS1 as Crash, still has a good legacy with the PS1 in its later years. Also, he bleeds moveset potential. It is hard to see any fighter who would fight like Spyro does in the roster rn.

But perhaps the biggest thing Spyro has going against him is his competition. Now I am gonna discount most of Blizzard, as although an OW or WoW rep would be cool (or Diablo), I feel these two outclass them due to a higher Nintendo presence. What Spyro has as his biggest competition is ironically Crash himself. Crash pretty much needs to come first. I know that sounds dumb, but its true. The N Sane Trilogy came before RT. Crash is the biggest franchsie, especially in Japan. Maybe for S2 if we get Crash.

Crash

100% Want

Do you remember my old profile? Do you see my sig? Of course I want Crash. I have been having a blast with N Sane and CTRNF. I have a strong affection for the series. I also feel Crash would be a great character to see in smash due to this animations. Crash always had this slapstick, almost looney tunes animation style to him. Watching him get cleaved or explode or crushed was great. I would love to see someone whose over the top animations and expressions could top DK's.

Now onto the real meat of this.

Spyro
100% Want

If I could go higher I would. This is the single character I want the most. Allow me to explain.

Ok. This goes beyond just smash.

Spyro was my first video game. I remember as a kid, I did not get along with kids in elementary school much because on my first day I knocked three kids out for making fun of my shirt. People were afraid of me, so I was kind of lonely. That's when I discoverd Spyro: my first video game. Seeing this fantasy realm that I could dive into helped me escape the pain of being a kid and feeling lonely. My parents, they did not have much time for me: my brother had ptsd. As such, I was often left to myself. What else was I to do but play Spyro, read books, play Spyro, play with my dog Buddy once we got him when I was in 2nd grade (hes still going strong 12 years later), and play Spyro. I remember calling my cousin in Florida for tips to beat level s and find things that I could not.

Spyro Enter The Dragonfly taught me the lesson of disappointment. Getting a PS2 for Christmas and playing it for the first time, I was amazed at how it. I remember trying to free the dragon statue for two hours, the one that gives you bubble breath. I learned that just being part of a brand I loved did not mean it was automatically good.

Once I got to middle school I found out that my Spyro disks had lived their lives past due. Years of moving and not the best care wore them down. Thankfully the Spyro Collecters Edition was not too expensive, I bought it and still use that to this day. I remember 100%ing Spyro 1 and 2 for the first time in Middle School. I remember showing my best friend SPyro 1 and doing a gaming veg sesh and just playing and talking.

Hell, I play through each of the original trilogy once a year at least. For me they are a coping mechanism that takes me back. Issues with my parents? School? Depression? Self Loathing? I just play Spyro at some point, I know each game by heart by now.

For me this is more than just saying "Well I like the character, he should be in smash". This is legit my childhood. This is a character that I have dreamed of for years, with now there being a realistic chance he could appear. This is being able to tell 6 year old me playing Melee at a friends house that one day Spyro would be in. This is me seeing that the single character I could want the most in Smash ever being in smash.

Good god writing this has made me tear up, part out of nostalgia, part of the painful memories I tried to forget using Spyro.

On a brighter note, music!

Please take pity on me and do not just pop in and give Spyro Double Zeros. That would be soul crushing.
Wow time has flown since then.

I did not have the best childhood. I had two brothers who were disabled, and as such I was the child that got by far the least attention. I also did not hang out with other kids as much; my parents did not want to have other kids over due to my brothers being unpredictable and I was unable to get rides due to my parents being busy. Combined with the above stuff, I was a pretty lonely kid. Spyro was an outlet for me to play with. If I was not with my dog (Hes 13 and a half now, old for his breed), I was playing Spyro.

Reignited helped me again. From November to May this year I was in a serious depressive episode. Many things in my life were out of whack. My mother started drinking again. My relationship with my family sunk. I had some difficult relationships at school. Many things in my life took a turn for the worse. In that timeframe, I did three perfect runs of each Spyro game. It helped me feel better when I needed it most.

The series has a large sentimental spot for me. I know it sounds corny to say that, but the franchise did help me through some dark times and I have a lot of sentimentality towards it.

ProtoMan x 5

Reminder there will be the noms purge after tomorrow. Maybe I will give out bonus noms...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Crash Music

Here are some songs to get into the Crash mood:

Spyro Music

Here are some songs to get into Spyro mood:

I'll post my ratings later.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Crash Bandicoot:

Chance: 30% - Gentle reminder that I generally don't give that high ratings with only two spots left, so this isn't as bad as it might seem at first glance, Crash is around the 4th most likely character imo, which isn't too bad given how many candidates there are. Still, that means that I do think he'll just about miss out, if we got even just one or two more DLC spots I'd feel a lot more confident about him, but with only two spots left there are simply characters that I fancy more for varying reasons. I don't even think there's anything noteworthy working against Crash so to say, the biggest thing I can think of is that Banjo already appeals to the same demographic and they might want to cover more bases, but it's mostly a case of other characters just having bigger strengths for the current circumstances imo.

I do think that as long as they build on the series' recent success he'll be a shoe-in for the next game though, that might be a bit of an overly confident statement this early, but he'll be as big of a name as any they can include at that point.

Want: 90% - Just earlier today I was playing the N. Sane Trilogy, throughout the years the original trilogy have been such easy games for me to just pick up and play for a short while, and as a Playstation 1 kid they obviously had quite the influence on my view on 3D platformers. Crash would fit in Smash seamlessly, I don't think there's much to argue about there, and I don't think there's much else to say about him either, he belongs with gaming's greatest and would be a fantastic addition.

Spyro:

Chance: 1% - Not only is he behind Crash in the pecking order, but Spyro is practically a nonexistent franchise in Japan, the original trilogy flopped so hard there due to butchered localizations that it didn't even become a trilogy as they never released the 3rd game. I don't think the two games' sales even reached anywhere near 100k copies sold, and I don't see Sakurai or Nintendo being interested in alienating Japanese fans that hard. If I'm not mistaken I think the Reignited Trilogy is coming out there, so hopefully that'll be the start of establishing some presence for the franchise over there.

Want: 80% - I love Spyro, not quite as much as Crash, but it's got its own charm and qualities to set it apart, it's a series that makes me laugh and feel comfy. For the time being I'm fine with him waiting for Crash's entrance first, so it's not something I've given much thought, especially not since I consider it so unlikely, but I'd love to see it happen one day, even if it's in the distant future.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Crash Bandicoot
Chance: 60%
I tend to be cautiously optimistic in most ratings, with very few exceptions going past 60%. That said, Crash is the most likely western character right now in my opinion. As others have already pointed out, Crash has nothing against him and a lot in his favor: being a mascot of Sony in their beginnings as a console manufacturer, being well-received worldwide, despite most western games of that era never really making a splash in Japan, and being currently relevant.

If there is one thing that doesn't exactly count in his favor, it's that his ressurgence was relatively recent - to the point where we don't know how much it could affect Nintendo's choice. Before that, he had faded a bit from the spotlight, especially during the Titans era. So he is a character that was dormant until very recently, but then again we have several examples of how this doesn't matter in the roster already.

And while I'm not particularly confident in getting two platformer characters - or two western characters - for the Pass, it's nothing that would stop Crash in his tracks. If anyone can do it, I feel like Crash would be the one. When it comes to big names, he is one of the few ways I can envision for Nintendo to end the Pass with a bang... though they're not exactly known for this kind of thing, but that's neither here nor there...

I'm far from the biggest Crash fan, but I will always treasure the memories of playing the first three games with my cousins. Despite never really being a Sony fan, I still enjoyed the games a lot back then. His fanbase has... let me down a bit in recent times, but it's nothing that would make me give up on one of my fond childhood memories.

Spyro the Dragon
Chance: 10%
Yeeeah... Crash's "PS1 partner" isn't feeling too great. Like Crash, he was important during Sony's first console and has a current remaster to his name. However, unlike Crash, Spyro lacks the worldwide appeal, particularly in Japan, to the point that most people doubt the purple dragon would make it to Smash before the orange bandicoot.

I do think that should Crash get in Ultimate, Spyro's chances could rise even just a bit for the next Smash game. Who knows? Maybe next time...

Want: Abstain. Don't have too much intricate knowledge on the series.

Predictions
Maxwell: 11.5%
The Knight: 12.5%

Nominations
Kyo Kusanagi x10 (Gonna use those extra noms)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Crash

Chance: 55%
Crash is incredibly popular around the globe and the recent popular reboot of his series via the N. Sane Trilogy came just at the right time for DLC deciding time. Banjo's inclusion helps to show that Western series can make it into Smash as long as the fan demand is there. Nintendo has even shown to collaborate with Activision at times as they added Bowser and DK to Skylanders when it was hot (which also had Crash at some point for whatever that is worth). The only really bad thing I can think of is that he has other popular characters to compete with.

Want: 100%
I love the first three Crash games and Nitro-Fueled is one of the best racing games in years even with the whole microtransaction nonsense (which I think people are blowing way out of proportion but that's another story). Crash himself is one of the biggest characters in gaming as he was essentially the face of the PS1, so seeing him face off with Mario and Sonic would be crazy. He is well deserving of a spot and is one of my most wanted third party characters.

----------

Spyro

Unlike Crash who is popular on both sides of the globe, Spyro is not that big in Japan due to the butchering of the first two games. The ports were so bad that the third game never got released and since then Spyro has mainly fallen to obscurity in Japan. I'm not sure if the Reignited Trilogy has changed Japan's view on Spyro, but either way it seems to have come way too late (November of 2018) for it to have any effect. There is no way Spyro gets in before fellow Activision character Crash who is much more popular in general.

Want: 50%
I haven't gotten into the Spyro games yet (waiting for the reignited trilogy to hit the Switch) but I wouldn't be really against his inclusion. That said though, I definitely would not want Spyro to make it in over Crash.

----------

Maxwell chance prediction: 8.82%
Hollow Knight chance prediction: 9.35%

----------

Nominations:
Terry Bogard x10 (whatever the max is for today)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Crash at Demonhead

Chance: 49%
I can't help but feel like I'm going low on this one. Either way, I feel like Crash is a coin flip, and if we're honest that's the best I think I can give any character right now. Crash is iconic. Crash has some classic games under his belt. Crash sold like bonkers - still does even now with what are basically freaking remakes (granted, they're huge overhauls, but not Link's Awakening level overhauls). Crash is relevant. Crash is super mainstream. Crash has the whole 'Crash vs. Mario', 'Playstation vs. Nintendo' factor. Hell, for such a mainstream pick, Crash has quite the demand (hardcore Smash guys tend to lean slightly more niche so this is quite the feat). Crash is beloved worldwide and is one of the few Western characters that can claim that. Crash has no real competition within his company (this right here is called foreshadowing). If I had to pick one downside is that Activision is a Western company not in Smash, and they seem pretty allergic to doing cool stuff so they might pose an obstacle. But take that as you will, it's nothing really definitive.

The only reason I'm doing 49% instead of 50% is because I have a hunch that we won't get another Western character. Yeah, I know, I didn't deduct points for Activision but I did because of a hunch. I get I'm dumb that way.

Of course I want Crash in Smash. Dude's a legend. I love Crash. So yeah, let's go.

Elijah Wood

Ouch, sorry Spyro. But, Crash. Activision owns Crash and between Crash and Spyro, Crash will always win. He's just a bigger deal. After Crash, Spyro is a frontrunner for sure, but having Spyro over Crash would be like having Morrigan over Ryu or Takamaru over Link. That kind of stuff just doesn't happen.

Yeah, of course! I haven't had as much experience with Spyro as I have with Crash, but I do enjoy Spyro games more because of the great movement and freedom and the colors and the music and yeah. Spyro's magical Disney vibe is more my jam than Crash's cartoony sci-fi antics (as anyone who knows me and my Disney obsession could probably guess). Spyro has all the credentials Crash does (minus Japan - dammit Japan!), so it's be great to see him join the fray someday.

Noms: Remember guys, you have 10 today!
Cronox5
Kyle Hydex5

Predictions: Maxwell 4.31%
Hollow Knight 6.74%

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Alright, this is it. Today's the last day you can affect the top 7. Make those noms count.

Heavy (Team Fortress) x198
Crono x170
Cadence (Crypt of the Necrodancer) x170
Saber (Fate) x167
Kyle Hyde x165
Concept: Rockstar Games rep x160
Kamek x159

150 - 101

Velvet Crowe x130
Ellie (The Last of Us) x125
Gene (God Hand) x120
Specter Knight x120
Rundas x115
Ninten x110
Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
Adeleine (Kirby) x102

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Terry Bogard x100
[Rerate] Micaiah x100
Concept: Valve rep x95
Boss: Kracko x95
9-Volt x90
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Captain Rainbow x82
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Jin Kazama x75
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x75
[Rerate] Reimu Hakurei x75
Concept: Another western character x75
Blaze the Cat x70
Concept: More Bosses x70
Kyo Kusanagi x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Lara Croft x65
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x60
Brian (Quest 64) x60
Papyrus x56
Kratos x55
Decidueye x52

50 - 25

Proto Man x50
Amaterasu x50
Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x45
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x45
Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x38
Gooey (Kirby) x37
Concept: DLC challenges x35
Earthworm Jim x33
Concept: Assist Trophy becomes Fighter x30
Qbby x30
Cooking Mama x30
Gex x27
Thrall (Warcraft) x25
Boss: Perfect Chaos x25

Under 25

Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes fighter x22
Reporter & Wrestler x20
Tora and Poppi x20
Johnny Silverhand x20
Concept: Spirits aren’t disconfirmations x20
Nightmare (Soul Calibur) x20
Marx (Kirby) x20
Black Shadow x19
Concept: Grookey's final evolution x18
King Boo x16
Hector (Fire Emblem) x15
Pyra & Mythra (sans Rex) x15
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x15
Concept: Another joke character x13
Concept: At least one fighter in the Pass is not third-party x13
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo Fighter of K. Rool x12
Mike Jones x11
Concept: Bethesda rep x10
Frog (Chrono Trigger) x10
Beat (Jet Set Radio) x10
Concept: Spectator Emotes x10
Concept: Medabots rep x10
Sir Arthur (Ghosts 'n Goblins) x10
[Rerate] Tetromino x10
Concept: Fortnite character x10
Concept: Idolm@ster rep x10
Magolor x9
Toon Zelda x8
Gordon Freeman x8
Blacephalon x5
Neptune x5
Concept: Crazi Taxi rep x5
Oliver (Ni No Kuni) x5
Courier (Fallout) x5
Scorpion x5
Concept: Another literally who Level-5 Character who's popular in Japan, like Achilles or Mark Evans x5
Starman (Pro Wrestling) x5
Malzahar (League of Legends) x5
Concept: Master Chief Mii Costume x5
Worm (Worms) x5
Balloon Fighter x5
Tiz Arrior x5
Rash x5
Concept: League of Legends rep x5
Serious Sam x5
Concept: A character outside the Fighter Pass x5
Goemon (Mystical Ninja) x5
Urbosa x5
Concept: Devolver Digital rep x5
[Rerate] Sans x5
Lizalfos x4
Concept: No More DLC x3
Concept: More Fighter Passes x3
Boss: Sans x2
Sub-Zero x2
Concept: Street Fighter Mii costumes x2
Rad Spencer x2
Stahl x1
Duster x1
Pappy Van Poodle x1
Dr. Eggman x1
Toon Zelda & Tetra x1
[Rerate] Chibi-Robo x1

Cadence dances past Kyle Hyde and ties with Crono for second place. Saber also cuts past Kyle and ends the day in third. Rockstar Games rep steals the sixth place from Kamek.

Kratos climbs past the 50 nom mark. Proto Man and Amaterasu reach it and are therefore safe from the purge.

We also have a new concept for the day... With 10 noms, I give you... Fortnite character.

cover6.jpg

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
the Dark Souls of 3D platformers
Chance:50%: Honestly,he's a coin flip. Yes, he is an icon, and yes he is popular. But... We don't knowing we will get another new company. Plus, he has a lot competition for the slots. Yeah, I think he got a massive downfall after the Banjo reveal, because he seems like he would be revealed at E3. Eh, who knows?
Want: 100%: I have just got the N-Sane trilogy, and it is AWESOME! Seriously, really well designed and they are just
really fun. Plus he has some moveset potential.
Abstain on Spyro.
Nominations: Specter Knight x 10

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Oh boy my favorite topic!

My boy, Crash Bandicoot and my little brother's boy Spyro the Dragon

CRASH

Chances: 75%
Want: 100000000% (100%)

Crash hands down have the strongest chances now that some of our major players (Banjo, K Rool, Ridley, Simon, etc) were confirmed and promoted to playable. Others who missed the cut had Crash skyrocketed. Let's face it: his games are selling pretty well and is MASSIVELY popular in Japan and internationally, became an iconic character of Sony and Playstation, remakes are helping his series get a revival (and don't get me started with CTR-NF. THAT is probably top 3 racing games made for me). The only downfall is can see Crash not making the roster is he was considered after Sakurai finalized the Five DLC fighters. We'll see if a second pass will show up to boost his chances further. But I do believe he is one of the next two DLC fighters.

And picture this: Crash vs Mario vs Sonic - who does NOT want that? I've waited 17 years since Melee for this dream and I am NOT giving up on this. It's like the Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant, The Rock vs "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Triple H vs Shawn Michaels, the list goes on. The point of that is to have an intense rivalry coming to make the game sell hotcakes. And these three icons of Mario, Crash, and Sonic? It is the best way to describe the 90's war between Nintendo, SEGA, and Sony. Crash is also my all time favorite video game character and one of the VERY few series I would definitely prefer over Mario, even ditching Mario games for awhile with Crash instead. Crash Bash, Crash Team Racing, I can go on.

SPYRO

Chances: 2%
Want: 35%

Look, I'll be honest: I really believe Crash deserves it over Spyro and not in a bad way. While Spyro is popular, he isn't as popular as Crash and his series had more flops than Crash. I'm ranking Spyro super low due to him not having the impact that Crash does no matter how much I love our favorite purple dragon.

As much as I love Spyro, I don't think it's his time yet. Maybe in 10-15 years with a future Smash or a shocking DLC candidate. Crash remanded in the spotlight longer and harder than Spyro and I do believe Spyro deserves some type of appearance in Smash, maybe a sticker, trophy, or Assist Trophy for Ultimate like how they did with Rayman and Shovel knight to name a few.

Nominating Chrono x5

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I'm gonna have to abstain, as I can't quite decide where I stand in this discussion. On the one hand, they have a lot going for them, being relevant and guranteed to make money for everyone involved. On the other hand, we already have Banjo, who I'd argue is a bigger deal than both Crash and Spyro combined, since not only was he highly requested, but he is owned by Microsoft, one of Nintendo's rivals in the console business. I honestly can't say anything about either.

Nominations: Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x5, Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x5

D

Deleted member

Stock Market Crash

Chance: 36%

My rating for Crash stays relatively the same from before. He's got the popularity from both fronts and has 2 games released within the last 2 years, making him more relevant to be in the Fighter Pass than Banjo-Kazooie. The biggest hurdle Crash has is Activision as Sakurai would want a lot of input from them and the people behind the games, which the language barrier would be pretty difficult unless they just tell him he could do whatever he wants with Crash like how Microsoft did with Banjo-Kazooie supposedly. We could even bring up the possibility of Activision asking for a lot of money in exchange for Crash's inclusion considering microtransactions were added to CTR, but that's not exactly fair since it's more hypothetical than anything. Other than that, Crash doesn't exactly have too much going against him unlike most Gaijin characters.

Want: 15%

I've said before that I'd hate to see Activision have a part in the Fighter Pass because they're the American version of Konami which was mostly why my want rating for him is as low as it is, even though an Activision rep would also kill the idea that Capcom and Bandai-Namco are guaranteed to have Fighters for the Pass. Another reason to why I'm not interested in Crash is because he doesn't appeal to me as a Fighter for Smash. He has a whacky personality and would also represent the 90s and early to mid 2000s era of video games, but I'm not really behind that reasoning as much as some people are.

--------------------------------
Spyro Mountain

Chance: 11%

There isn't a lot that I could add about Spyro, but more often than not, Spyro seems to be 2nd fiddle to Crash. Apparently he doesn't exactly have a big following in Japan when compared to Crash. Hell, even his remake came out over a year after N Sane Trilogy, so it's no surprise that Spyro seems far less likely to be in the Fighter Pass than him.

Want: 20%

When we were rating Crash the first time around, I've mentioned that I think Spyro would be a bit more interesting pick for the Fighter Pass than Crash but not by a big margin. He's a purple non-bipedal winged dragon, so already that makes him a huge standout to the roster. Unfortunately, the franchise is also owned by Activision, and I've already expressed my distaste in them.

Predictions:
Maxwell: 4.83%
Hollow Knight: 12%
Noms:
Zhao Yun x10

Top Bottom