• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
In terms of how I see Breath of the Wild incorporated for characters, I think at most, we will see move-set changes for Link and Zelda. I cannot see Mipha considered with her being a support character rather than representative character for the source material. Sakurai had stated this in a Weekly Famitsu column:

"There are a lot things to take into account when deciding [characters]." Sakurai wrote. "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting? Is the character a representative character [for the source material]? Do they conflict at all with other characters? Was there anything about them that stood out when we began development?"

It is more likely that the variety of tools Breath of the Wild offers will be carried over to Link and Zelda, since they share the biggest connections to the BOTW weapons. The Champion powers, I feel, will likely be carried over to Zelda for a new set of special moves due to the negative reception Zelda’s current move-set has in Smash 4. Mipha might have the closest connection to Link via story, but it would not change that her role in BOTW is minor, and I cannot see Mipha being specifically chosen just because of story connection. There would probably be concept art of Mipha shown to Sakurai back in 2016 for Zelda newcomer consideration. But, since Sakurai would have been told that Mipha's role in BOTW is relatively small compared to characters like Zelda, Sakurai will probably skip over the Champion fighter idea relatively quickly.

I see BOTW move-set changes for Link/Zelda as the farthest Sakurai will go for characters and nothing more. Even in the scenario Sakurai has time to make unique newcomers in 2017 and has the chance to see how popular each of the Champions become, I do not see Champions being one of the first choices. It is more likely that a character from ARMs will be seriously considered mid-development since the matter with BOTW content in Smash would have been already settled.

x5 Balloon Fighter

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The Shape of Water

Chance: 10%
Want: ...0%

I've gotta say, my want score is gonna be really different based on other characters in the game. If she's the only champion, ugh 0%. After Urbosa, then we'll be at about a 75%. Add Revali in, and we're up above 90%.

So, the internet's Fish Waifu...

We've had several discussions on the Zelda series and potential newcomers, but as always those outside of the main trio are either one-shots or uninteresting to Nintendo globally.

The champions seem to be quite well poised to get in based on timing. If the roster was finalized around summer '16 and BotW released March '17, it makes perfect sense that Sakurai and co. would have seen the designs and would also have ideas of their respective personalities to get movesets in. Also, if Link and Zelda are getting their BotW gear, it'd be natural to add in one of the BotW characters from a stylistic standpoint. Still, one of Sakurai's criteria (for most series, not Fire Emblem evidently) is that the characters will have enduring relevance, which is hard when you're - spoiler alert - dead for 100 years prior to your game even starting.

But as to which of the champions...? That's up for debate. Across the internet, it seems Mipha has the slightest of edges in popularity, but the personalities of Urbosa and Revali have them very close behind (poor Daruk...). Again looking at the timing though, they'd be able to take the characters into account, but would not have a gauge on their popularity as a whole (I seem to remember seeing an interview where the devs were honestly surprised by the reception Sidon got). Now, the Mipha thread reports that producer Aonuma's favorite is Mipha, but ZeldaWiki reports that director Fujibayashi's favorite is Urbosa and sound director Wakai likes Revali best (again, poor Daruk). That means the devs like each, so I don't know how much of an effect that would have on a choice.

Moveset potential is Mipha's strongest support - or at least if Sakurai had to make a moveset without really knowing her character, it may be easier. Revali (bow), Urbosa (sword/shield), and Daruk (truncheon) have reasonable weapon similarities in Pit, Link, and Ike respectively but nobody yet has a spear. However, of all of the champions, Mipha is also the only one who is never seen doing anything other than holding it in the first place. The champions, by virtue of being dead, only act in memory sequences, and the major fighting was done only in memories in the latest DLC (so too late to influence anything Smash-wise). Urbosa's is supremely awesome, where she fights off two Yiga ninjas (with some of the new parry techniques) and fries them with lightning. Revali's shows off his personality incredibly and also has him shoot three targets simultaneously and then annihilate 10 targets within a few seconds. Daruk's adds a bit of humor but still shows him sending bokoblins into the stratosphere. And Mipha...has a baby brother? Not up to the awesomeness of the rest, I'm afraid. On top of that, Mipha's special power is a healing move, which may be tough to balance properly as opposed to the reflector/super jump/lightning the other three powers are. And personality is a factor. Revali fights to prove he’s better than everyone. Urbosa fights to protect her friend’s daughter. Daruk fights because he likes to be the hero. Mipha...it’s mentioned on a tablet that she’s good with the spear, but she doesn’t show it at all. She actually has a stay-back-and-be-a-healer personality that would be much harder to translate into Smash.

Also, people will point out that Zoras are important in the Zelda series but, as yet, have not been represented in Smash. However, neither have Gorons (which may also give us another superheavyweight, which Smash is light on). Rito are fairly new, having been introduced in Wind Waker and not seen since and Revali and Falco share more than passing similarities. There is a Gerudo in the game already, but he's a villainous character so it may also be nice to see a heroic Gerudo as well.

Now, creating a full moveset for any or all may be a bit of a stretch, but Link has his animations for using each of the weapons. What may actually be more interesting is to try to rep all of the champions at once - the four champion abilities would work great as a set of four specials (and I'd prefer Zelda not to lose her Goddess moves). In regards to the weapons, each race does have variations of each of the standard weapons so they could pull out the requisite one with certain attacks. Rito and Gerudo guards are commonly seen with spears (and the Gerudo in Ocarina also used naginatas), there is a significant Gerudo with a greatsword, and the Zora's are known to be archers since Ocarina. Still, which of the four champions should rep the rest, or there's the option of pulling someone tangentially related in (Kass the bard or a Shiekah like young Impa) to rep all four sets.

Now as for the champions themselves, Urbosa is hands-down my favorite. Following her is Revali, then Daruk, and finally Mipha at the bottom of the pack. I am not really a fan of the Zora's new design, and Mipha has an atrocious voice acting job (sidenote - Zelda, please stay silent in Smash, yours wasn't that good either). Also, her personality grates. I loathe romance plotlines, and I tend to judge things based on removing the romance and seeing how well the story holds up (one of the great things for me between Link and Zelda in TP - they are not connected in the slightest). The Link/Zelda interactions without the romance angle do still tell the story of two young people who do not feel up to the task that their destinies have set them on, and each work it out differently - Link ends up as a silent protagonist (genius move by the devs), and Zelda develops a massive inferiority complex that causes her to lash out at herself. The Link/Mipha interactions without the romance become...nothing. She doesn't exist without being a simpering lost Lenore who would in story not be compatible as a Mayfly-December Romance, which is even mentioned as a problem with another Hylian/Zora courtship in game.

I would also call out that a lot of her support on the internet does seem to some from people who want to bang her, (actually a lot favor her brother), but then again that does also go for all of the champions. And Kass. And Sidon. And et cetera. Honestly, there are more targets for lust in this game than there have been in a while, to the extent that I think a lot of the internet is made of people who would take pretty well everyone but old Impa to bed. And I'm sure that somewhere, someone wants her as well. Sometimes the internet is a twisted place.

In conclusion, if I wanted a water-bending spearman, I favor Azura. If I wanted a Champion, Urbosa's the way to go for me (and then she can get the new BotW-style moves and leave Link to be left-handed and keep mostly the same moves)

Now what I would like: Make them all - as DLC. I'd even be fine if they all shared a moveset (see the paragraph above), but then had different weights/speeds/etc. based on their race. I'd like DLC since they could make one moveset, pop out all four characters as clones, and I'd buy all four for completion's sake. Naturally, getting all four would be amazing, but it'll never happen. But putting one champion above the others feels wrong (Of course, I wouldn't complain if it were Urbosa - it'd still feel wrong, I just would be okay with it then).

But you know what would be AWESOME?!?!? The Champions are the only Zelda one-shots we don't have in Hyrule Warriors since that released before BotW. What if...they made one more DLC pack for HW in order to put the four champions and add a BotW-style adventure map with an awesome 8-bit BotW soundtrack? Instant purchase!!!

Phew...

Prediction for Steve: 14.5%
Nom: Transformation characters x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Mipha:

Chance: 2%
Mipha is a one-off character of equal importance to three other characters in her game, and she comes from a franchise with considerably more popular choices. Further, her signature ability is healing, which is difficult to implement effectively into a Smash Bros. game.

Her competition includes:
Impa
Tingle
Tetra
Midna
Wolf Link
Lana
Urbosa
Daruk
Revali
Fi
King Daphnes
Ravio
Skull Kid
Ghirahim
Ganon
Zant
Vaati
Yuga
Toon Zelda
Young Link
Linkle
Reworked Ganondorf

Do I need to mention more of the bottom of the barrel here, or have I made myself clear enough?

She's objectively unimportant to the Zelda series as a whole. I'm sorry, but she's only slightly more likely than King Daphnes in my eyes.

Want: 1%
There's no reason to add a character that appeared briefly as one of four dead one-shot characters in a single Zelda game. She has a trident, I guess? But I'd rather have Ganon for that anyways.

Steve Prediction: 17.55%

Nominations: Historical Character x5

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Mipha

Want: 20%

She's certainly a popular Zelda character right now so that gibes her a bit of points right now. But she too falls into the common Zelda trap, she's a one-off character which hurts them a lot. In terms of want, I never particularly cared for her, I always prefered Revali over her.

Steve Prediction: 17.07%

Nominate Lloyd Irving x5

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mipha

Well, here it is. My case for Mipha. It's lengthy, but I tried my best to cover as much as I could to convince those who read it why Mipha could and should be playable in Smash. I don't expect anyone to read through all of it (although I would be extremely grateful if you did), but I do hope you'll at least skim through and read anything that catches your eye. Maybe if I'm lucky, I might be able to convince you to be more open to the idea and give Mipha a decent chance.

Who is Mipha?

Representing the fish-like Zora, Mipha is one of the five Champions in Breath of the Wild tasked with defeating a monstrosity known as Calamity Ganon. She is a timid and somewhat awkward Zora princess who is gifted with the special power to heal wounds. She fights her enemies with a trident known as the Lightscale Trident, and she has shown herself to be an excellent and graceful spear fighter, as well as a superb swimmer. Much like her older Ocarina of Time counterpart, Ruto, she holds strong feelings for Link, hoping that one day she'll be lucky enough to marry him.

In BotW, her role as a Champion was to pilot the massive Sheikah weapon known as Vah Ruta and fire it at Calamity Ganon to assist Link in his fight. However, Ganon corrupted Vah Ruta and took form as Waterblight Ganon, killing Mipha before she could attack. Exactly 100 years later, the corrupted Vah Ruta awakens and begins to terrorize her Zora's Domain with a massive downpour of rain. With the help of Sidon, Mipha's younger brother, Link boards the corrupted Vah Ruta and defeats Waterblight Ganon, allowing Mipha to regain control of Vah Ruta and assist Link with his second attempt to face Calamity Ganon.

How Would Mipha Play?
There's already a full moveset in Mipha's thread (and it's way better and far more specific than mine). However, I thought I'd share my own take on how she'd play, just so people could get a general idea of why I think she'd be unique.

Mipha's main weapon is the Lightscale Trident (as seen by this lovely replica made by a fan).

I doubt I need to explain anything here, but her trident would work like a spear, allowing Mipha to attack fighters from a long distance. Because of this, Mipha would probably work best as a defensive character, using her trident's long reach to keep aggressive fighters who like to get close at bay. However, fighters who break through her defenses would have an easier time attacking her, as her trident does not have the same mobility as a sword. She'd also have a hard time with projectiles.

While it's not seen in the game, Mipha also owns a Sheikah Slate (it's the only way she can access her Divine Beast). Not much to say here except maybe Sakurai could giver her what's left over from whatever Sheikah Runes Link doesn't end up using in his new moveset. I was thinking maybe Cryonis, since ice is a central part of Vah Ruta. Mipha could summon a pillar of ice directly in front of her to act as a shield against attacks, as well as an additional platform if she needs to get to a higher area.

The ice is durable, but certainly not indestructible. Only one can be summoned at a time.

But the real kick to Mipha that would make her so unique is her healing abilities. We don't have a true healer character in the game (aside from WFT, who can't heal more than 2%) who doesn't need to meet certain conditions before they can heal. Ness/Lucas needs to absorb energy attacks and Robin needs to get close to a character and use Nosferatu. Mipha, however, would be able to heal on her own. Imagine if Mipha had a special similar to Cloud's Limit Break (minus auto charging as she takes damage) that would heal damage once charged for a certain amount of time. It wouldn't be anything too unreasonable. Maybe heal 5-7% after 7-9 seconds of charging. I think this could create some really interesting playstyles. It forces your opponent to be more aggressive and not camp, as you can just stand there and heal if they don't take action. Also, think about when you launch a character off the stage. Do you go after the player and go for a KO, or do you stay behind and try to heal?

Now to compensate for her ability to heal, I think Mipha would be made one of the slower fighters, as giving her a fast run speed would encourage camping (although a slow speed actually suits a Zora. They're faster in water, not on ground). Her attacks, however, would be lightning quick.

As for her Final Smash, well...

I'm not really sure what it could be. ;)

We don't have any spear fighters, and we don't have any healer characters. Tie those two together and you have a pretty unique combo.

Why is Mipha Likely?
"Timing was Perfect?"

If you've forgotten, let me remind you what the entirety of 2016 was like.

"Nintendo, it's been forever! When is Zelda Wii U coming out?"
"lol nintendo didn't reveal the nx at e3. nintendo is doomed."
"I'm starting to think Zelda Wii U is just an elaborate prank."

Seriously, no one would shut up about two things: "Zelda Wii U" and the "NX". Regardless of what part of 2016 Sakurai started development on Smash Switch, these two things were a hot topic. Now if Sakurai knew that such a huge AAA title was being released on a brand new console, a console that was responsible for him starting development on Smash Switch in the first place, then why wouldn't he want to consider it when he made the roster? Even if he wasn't initially aware of Mipha's existence, wouldn't it at least make sense for him to look at BotW so that he could look at the new versions of Link and Zelda? After all, there's no way he could plan for a new moveset or properly design them unless he looked at the game in advance.

With such a big title coming out on the Switch, I have a hard time imagining Sakurai not wanting to look deeper into BotW and weigh his options. The game was in late development by then, so Mipha's abilities, her design, and her cutscenes were likely finalized or very close to being finalized.

"She Fits the Theme"

Unfortunately, almost every Zelda character is at an automatic disadvantage because of the confirmation of BotW Link. Since BotW is getting center spotlight, it would be admittingly strange for Sakurai to go back and revisit a popular character from Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, or even Skyward Sword. The timing is poor for these guys, and there's not really a way you can get any of them to work with the BotW theme without making it seem forced (mainly because none of these characters even appeared in BotW, unless you count elderly Impa). Mipha on the other hand doesn't have this problem. She's one of the few Zelda characters who perfectly ties in with the theme without taking creative liberties.

Now to be fair, I will point out that Sakurai went with a TP theme in Brawl and still added Toon Link. However, since Toon Link was a clone and a replacement of sorts for Young Link (who definitely wouldn't fit the TP theme either), I'm not sure if this would be a good argument to bring up if you're making a case for a full-fledged newcomer.

"First Time's the Charm"

The Zelda characters we've been supporting over the past decade have been rejected once, twice, and for some, three times. Mipha is one of the only characters aside from her fellow Champions and a few HW originals who has never been considered for a Smash game, giving her the advantage over others. This means that Mipha's absolute best shot is now, whereas the other characters are in a tougher spot since they were rejected when their relevancy was at its peak. It's now or never.

"A Little Popularity Never Hurts"

"What the heck are you talking about!? Mipha isn't a popular request in Smash?"

That's probably what you're thinking, right? Well actually, I'm referring to her popularity in BotW, not in the Smash community. Ever since the release of the game, Mipha has been a well-recieved character. Many fans consider the Zora arc to be their favorite part of BotW, and Mipha's consistently been one of the most popular Champions, especially in Japan, where she is easily the fan-favorite. Heck, her amiibo was the only one of the four Champions to sell out online at every retail store in the US. The only Champion who comes close to beating Mipha is Urbosa. With Daruk and Revali, it ain't even close.

Now I have to point out that if Sakurai chose Mipha, it was likely before any of this even happened, meaning that her reception from fans might not have been a factor that existed back then. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning, just on the off-chance that it somehow did help her chances.

"For Crying out Loud! It's Breath of the Freaking Wild We're Talking About!"

BotW was such an impactful game that I honestly cannot see Sakurai avoiding adding a Zelda character again. BotW was a huge step for the series, and it broke away from tired traditions to create something extremely innovative and original. It did so phenomenally well that there's not really any excuse for Sakurai to not acknowledge that by adding a new character.

But what if Sakurai didn't know BotW would be successful, you say? Well, even if he didn't add Mipha on the initial roster, BotW was released in early March 2017. That's still well over a year and a half before Smash Switch would be released. Yes, I know Sakurai typically avoids adding characters later in development, but believe me, if there was ever a game big enough to make Sakurai feel like revisiting it for the sake of adding a newcomer, BotW would be that game.

"She's Related to Sidon"

I mean, if I were the director, this would be more than enough to convince me to add Mipha. Here's to hoping Sakurai shares the feeling.

Common Arguments against Mipha
"We can't get one Champion without getting all four."

I had to put this one first because it's the one I see the most. Truth be told, this is an argument I still don't quite understand. No one ever said the Champions were a package deal, yet everyone acts like these guys are four inseparable characters who can't exist without each other. Starter Pokemon have the same amount of importance, but did that stop Sakurai from cleaving Charizard from Squirtle and Ivysaur? Did Sakurai feel bad for picking Greninja and not Delphox? Obviously not. He picked the Pokemon that he felt like would be the best choice to represent the series. The Champions should be no different.

However, it seems like some people are convinced that the Pokemon situation is completely different, so allow me to approach this from a second perspective.

A popular belief is that the Champions would be better fit as Assist Trophies or as part of a new moveset for Link/Zelda. Now if you're someone who believes that adding a single Champion on the roster would be unfair, let me ask you this. Can you say with 100% absolute, concrete, unwavering confidence that if the Champions were to become Assist Trophies or part of a moveset, all four Champions would be used in the same capacity? That means all four Champions would become Assist Trophies, and all four Champions would be used in Link or Zelda's new moveset. If you can't confidently say this, then how is this any different than having one or two Champions on the roster? If your reasoning behind not thinking a Champion should be on the roster is because it wouldn't be fair, then how would making Mipha be the only Assist Trophy or Revali's Gale be the only Champion ability in Link's new moveset be any better? The answer is, it's not.

The Champions are susceptible to the same problem, regardless of how you integrate them in Smash.

"There are dozens of more memorable Zelda characters Sakurai could add, so why would he choose Mipha or any of the other Champions?"

I don't entirely disagree with this statement. Mipha's time in the spotlight was rather brief compared to other Zelda characters, and I think there are plenty of more memorable Zelda characters out there. However, this is why I don't think the argument works. What characters are you comparing Mipha to? Probably Skull Kid, Impa, Midna, and Tingle, right? Here's the thing - these guys have existed anywhere from 10 to 20 years. How old is Mipha? Barely even a year old. Obviously Mipha can't compete with the likes of these guys. They've had years and years to appear in games, merch, and other forms of media, whereas Mipha is currently relying entirely on the promotion from BotW. She might not seem iconic now, but that doesn't mean she lacks the potential to be iconic in the future.

To put it simply, Mipha is young. She has plenty of time to grow and build herself an image before we can actually say she isn't iconic or popular enough.

"(Insert Zelda character here) is WAY more unique than Mipha!"

This is entirely subjective. I've seen people find ways to incorporate BotW elements into Impa's moveset and make her sound like one of the most unique additions we could ever get. But when it comes to Mipha, an actual character from BotW? It's like their creativity hits a brick wall. "What could she do besides stabbing people with her weird shiny fork?"

Just because you think a character would or wouldn't be unique doesn't mean they'll be reflected that way in Smash. Need proof? Look at Ganondorf. Then look at Ice Climbers. The only thing that matters here is Sakurai himself. It's who would HE see potential in, not who WE would see potential in. This goes back to my point about Mipha never being able to be considered for Smash before. A lot of people say things like, "Impa would be Sakurai's first choice for the next Zelda rep because she's recurring and has the most to offer." That may or may not be true, but keep in mind that this would be Impa's fourth opportunity to get in Smash. If Impa really is the most obvious choice to Sakurai, why hasn't he added her yet? This certainly isn't the best time he could've added her, and the fact that she's been around for so long and still hasn't become playable tells me that Sakurai has some hesitations with adding her. Since we know for a fact that Sakurai has never been able to reject Mipha, there's currently nothing to indicate that he's either against the character or doesn't see potential in her. Of course, that also means that there's nothing to indicate that he's in favor of the character either, but it's still a good position to be in regardless.

"Who cares if BotW was popular? Not every Zelda game needs to be represented on the roster."

Very true. Not every Zelda game needs to be represented on the roster. And at this point, that's been the case for the past 15 years. Not counting designs, Wind Waker (2002) was the last game to get a character on the roster.

This is something I've seen a lot of people say whenever they see someone supporting a Champion. It's not so much about thinking a successful game like BotW needs to get represented on the roster as much as it is thinking that BotW has the best shot of getting a newcomer compared to the other Zelda games. Even though I like Mipha as a character and think she'd be a great addition, I also think she has a better shot than a majority of the Zelda cast. There's nothing wrong with supporting a character because you think they'd be likely. As a matter of fact, most of the Gen VII Pokemon we want in Smash got as much support as they did just because we all think they're likely to be added. If likeliness wasn't something we took into consideration when we support characters, then maybe we'd all still be clamoring for Zoroark and Sceptile.

If this is the argument you're using, then your main problem is likely being able to see the Champions as unique or playable characters, rather than simply just thinking BotW doesn't need a character. For that, I'd recommend looking at some movesets for the Champions and listen to what some of the supporters have to say. See if your opinion changed any after that.

"There are four Champions in BotW. What makes Mipha more likely than them?"

Now this is one argument I struggle with. All four Champions have equal importance. All four Champions have moveset potential. All four Champions have gotten equal promotion. The only thing Mipha has that separates herself from the rest is her popularity, and unfortunately, there likely wasn't enough time for that to be a factor unless she was added later in development. Honestly, Sakurai could get away with adding any of the four Champions (although some will probably be met with a warmer welcome than others :4falco:).

That being said, I can still explain why I would think Mipha would be more likely than the other three.

First off, the iconicness of the Zora race. Zoras have been in the LoZ series since the very first game, and they've continued to make appearances since then. They've appeared in plenty of popular Zelda games, such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, A Link Between Worlds, and of course, Breath of the Wild. Their history easily trumps the likes of the Gerudo and (especially) the Rito, and the only Champion race that has a longer, broader history than the Zora is the Gorons. Needless to say, the Zora species are a staple of the Zelda series, and I think that's something that gives Mipha an advantage over some of the other Champions.

Second, there's Eiji Aonuma himself. The Zora are one of his, if not his most, favorite races in the Zelda series. An example of this can be seen in a recent interview by Nintendo UK. When asked if he would rather be a Zora, a Goron, or a Deku Scrub, Aonuma responded by smiling and holding up a Zora mask to his face (at the very least, this hints to us that Aonuma would likely prefer Mipha over Daruk). Another example of this can be found in a interview following BotW's second DLC pack. In this interview, Aonuma is directly asked who his favorite Champion was. His answer? Mipha (although he claims it might have previously been Urbosa). If Sakurai was having a difficult time choosing which Champion to add in Smash, I have no doubt that Aonuma would be a strong advocate for Mipha, should he have any involvement in Sakurai's decision.

My third and last point, the Zora themselves and how they were treated in BotW. This part is entirely subjective and shouldn't be taken as a solid argument, but I think it's still worth mentioning, especially if you've played BotW before. When players get to the part of BotW where Link is told by Impa that he needs to free the Divine Beasts, the one that most happen to free first is Vah Ruta. This almost seems intentional, as the area Link needs to find to begin the Zora arc (Lanayru Wetlands and Lanayru Tower) is extremely close to Kakarico Village and Hateno Village (the places Link is told to go to after completing the first area of the game). There's also plenty of Zora NPCs sprinkled around the nearby area, automatically telling you exactly where to go when you walk near them, something that wasn't done with the other three arcs. While there's nothing to verify it, I think the Zora were intended to be the first of the four races players find when playing BotW. If that's truly the case, this gives Mipha a slight edge over the other three, as the Zora arc would supposed to have intended to be the player's first impression of freeing the Champions and the Divine Beasts. Then there's also the amount of effort put into the Zora arc. A lot of people agree that the Zora arc is the best of the four arcs, and that's because they feel like the other arcs (particularly the Rito and the Gorons) didn't feel as special or long as the Zora's. If the development team spent extra time on fleshing out the Zora arc, that might indicate that (1) they really liked that part of the game and wanted to perfect it as much as they could, or (2) that was the first area they completed, thereby giving them the more time to add on to it.

"Mipha is just another one-shot character. She'll be no different than the rest."

Another good point. If Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim couldn't make it in, why is Mipha different? Truth is, we might never understand why those guys never got in Smash. They had a lot of potential, yet failed to be anything more than an Assist Trophy. For a lot of people, Mipha is destined to follow that same path. While I can't give you a solid explanation on why the other one-shots were rejected, I can at least tell you why I think Mipha's situation differs from theirs.

Let's start with Skull Kid and Melee. Skull Kid was born at a rather unfortunate time to be considered for Smash. Before Melee came to be, Link was the only character on the roster. There were plenty of options to choose from, and adding Skull Kid was probably less of a priority than adding the main characters, Zelda and Ganondorf. By the time Brawl rolled around, it may have been too late for him. That's likely what held him back - a combination of bad timing and too much competition from other newcomers. Mipha doesn't really have this problem. Timing is definitely in her favor, and while she does have some stiff competition, none of them are anywhere close to being as important to the series as Zelda and Ganondorf. Yeah, there are some recurring choices that make more sense than Mipha (Impa, Tingle), but at the same time, they aren't exactly big enough to feel like the roster is incomplete without them.

Next is Midna and Brawl. I still don't quite understand why we didn't get this character. Timing was great, she fit the new TP theme, had a large role in her game, and she would've made a great addition to the roster. Instead, all we got in Brawl was a toony replacement for Young Link. The only explanation I can come up with here is that Sakurai may have felt like the Zelda series needed a break after getting four new characters in Melee (and this would help explain why Mario didn't get any true newcomers either). If that's the case, then Mipha definitely doesn't have the same problem as Midna. We've had a drought of Zelda newcomers for two games now, and fans are starting to feel as if Zelda is being neglected on the roster. Mipha won't be rejected because of over-saturation on the roster.

Last is Ghirahim and Smash 4. Honestly, this one shouldn't have come off as surprising. Even if timing was great, Skyward Sword was considered to be a subpar Zelda game. This game had mediocre sales, had mixed reception from fans, and was considered to be the worst 3D Zelda game in quite some time. Even if Zelda was due for another character, SS was definitely not the game Sakurai would've felt obligated to give a character to. Needless to say, BotW is the polar opposite of SS. Mipha will definitely not be rejected because Sakurai didn't feel like her game deserved a character, and you can quote me on that anytime you'd like.

Overall, I think Mipha lacks most of the things that might have held back the other one-shots. That's not to say Mipha doesn't have her own problems, because she definitely does. She has three other equally important counterparts who could easily steal that spot away from her. Still, there's not much reason to think history will repeat itself, or at least not in the same way it did with the other one-shots. If Mipha gets rejected, it'll likely be for a different reason than the others.

"Isn't it possible for Sakurai to just skip the Zelda series and not add anyone?"

This is the last argument I wanted to address. Short answer - yes, it is certainly possible. Sakurai could feel like there aren't any relevant Zelda characters worth adding and once again not give us anything.

However, I don't really see the point in doing so. Even if we can't agree on who should get added, there's a unified voice requesting more Zelda characters. What reason is there for Sakurai to wait even longer? Should he ask Aonuma to incorporate Impa into the next Zelda game so she's extremely relevant again by the time the next Smash game rolls around? Should he wait until we get a new Zelda game with one-shot characters slightly more important to the story than the Champions? If Sakurai treats every Smash game like it's his last, why would he hold off on adding another Zelda rep, especially after a game as successful as BotW?

Despite popular opinion, I believe our best shot at getting a Zelda newcomer is now, because if something like BotW can't get us a newcomer, we sure as heck won't be getting anything from a future Zelda game.

Conclusion
If you're someone who still isn't sold on the idea of Mipha, I totally get it. She's a new character to a series that's been around for over thirty years. You've been supporting Zelda characters far more iconic than her, and seeing her in Smash is something that might not sit well with you. She's probably not your first, second, or maybe even seventh choice. Still, I hope you'll at least try to look past all that and see Mipha for what she is. Even if she's not as iconic as Skull Kid or Tingle, she's still unique. That's something you can't take way from her, regardless of how new she is. She's also from BotW, the best-selling game in the history of the Zelda series that over ten million people have bought since its release a little over a year ago. No other Zelda character can say something like that.

It's fine if you doubt her chances. It's fine if you don't like her. But please, don't just write her off entirely like most people tend to do. She's got a better shot than you think, so try to be fair and give her the chance she deserves.

...And, that's that. If you actually took the time to read all this, I'm extremely impressed with your dedication to see all that I had to say. If you only read two sentences, well, that's still time that you took to read this, so thanks. Here's to hoping some of you are as optimistic about Mipha as me.

Chance: 80%
Might seem more than a little high to you, but that's how much faith I have in Mipha and the Champions as a whole. I've supported a lot of Zelda characters over the years, and none of them were able to make it in Smash. I kinda lost hope for a while, but after seeing the success of BotW and noting the absence of a Zelda newcomer in Smash 4, I have a feeling this will be the game where we'll get someone new. Personally, I think the Champions have the best shot out of everyone due to their relevance and the massive impact of their game, and I feel like Mipha would be the obvious choice out of the four.

Want: 100%
If I didn't want Mipha, why would I make such a long post? The fish princess is one of my most-wanted newcomers, and aside from her spear and healing abilities, the Zora are easily my favorite race in the Zelda series. I'd love to see some of the less human races represented on the roster. Although even if I'm pulling for Mipha, I'd gladly take Daruk or Revali (Urbosa is cool too, but she isn't my priority since Ganondorf, a Gerudo, is on the roster).

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
One timer and there is other champions too.

Want: Abstain
I am hardly anywhere into BOTW so I don't know how much I even like the character.

Nominations: Monster Hunter x5

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Sidon’s Sister

Chance: 25%
I really can’t fathom any of the Champions making it in over the others. They’re built up to be as important, different interactions, powers and popularites nonwithstanding. Mipha does have advantages over the others, but also disadvantages, so it evens out.

Want: 50%
I love Mipha and the Champions in general, but I’m not really pulling for her to make it in Smash. Wouldn’t be upset, though.

Steve? prediction: This guy is getting killed tomorrow. 4%

Nominations: Now that Urban Champ is out of the way and Ayumi and Mach Rider are safe from the purge, I’m free to nominate my most wanted newcomer.
Prince SableX5

Luminario

Smash Lord
Bara Sidon's sister.

Chance: 50%
There's just so many variables to be certain on any chance. Would they be able to gauge her popularity whenever the roster was made? Would she have enough to push her over the other champions? Is Mipha's Grace non viable as a move? Will there be any BotW fighters? The game came out too late to accurately say.
Want: 85%
Sharing the BotW top spot with my girl Urbosa, while her single memory didn't really do anything for me, her speech after Waterblight Ganon and on top of Rutah struck a chord with me and pushed her up to being one of my fave characters from the game. Also her ability has saved my ass from soooo many stupid mistakes so I associate her with a second chance at life.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Mipha

Well, here it is. My case for Mipha. It's lengthy, but I tried my best to cover as much as I could to convince those who read it why Mipha could and should be playable in Smash. I don't expect anyone to read through all of it (although I would be extremely grateful if you did), but I do hope you'll at least skim through and read anything that catches your eye. Maybe if I'm lucky, I might be able to convince you to be more open to the idea and give Mipha a decent chance.

Who is Mipha?

Representing the fish-like Zora, Mipha is one of the five Champions in Breath of the Wild tasked with defeating a monstrosity known as Calamity Ganon. She is a timid and somewhat awkward Zora princess who is gifted with the special power to heal wounds. She fights her enemies with a trident known as the Lightscale Trident, and she has shown herself to be an excellent and graceful spear fighter, as well as a superb swimmer. Much like her older Ocarina of Time counterpart, Ruto, she holds strong feelings for Link, hoping that one day she'll be lucky enough to marry him.

In BotW, her role as a Champion was to pilot the massive Sheikah weapon known as Vah Ruta and fire it at Calamity Ganon to assist Link in his fight. However, Ganon corrupted Vah Ruta and took form as Waterblight Ganon, killing Mipha before she could attack. Exactly 100 years later, the corrupted Vah Ruta awakens and begins to terrorize her Zora's Domain with a massive downpour of rain. With the help of Sidon, Mipha's younger brother, Link boards the corrupted Vah Ruta and defeats Waterblight Ganon, allowing Mipha to regain control of Vah Ruta and assist Link with his second attempt to face Calamity Ganon.

How Would Mipha Play?
There's already a full moveset in Mipha's thread (and it's way better and far more specific than mine). However, I thought I'd share my own take on how she'd play, just so people could get a general idea of why I think she'd be unique.

Mipha's main weapon is the Lightscale Trident (as seen by this lovely replica made by a fan).

I doubt I need to explain anything here, but her trident would work like a spear, allowing Mipha to attack fighters from a long distance. Because of this, Mipha would probably work best as a defensive character, using her trident's long reach to keep aggressive fighters who like to get close at bay. However, fighters who break through her defenses would have an easier time attacking her, as her trident does not have the same mobility as a sword. She'd also have a hard time with projectiles.

While it's not seen in the game, Mipha also owns a Sheikah Slate (it's the only way she can access her Divine Beast). Not much to say here except maybe Sakurai could giver her what's left over from whatever Sheikah Runes Link doesn't end up using in his new moveset. I was thinking maybe Cryonis, since ice is a central part of Vah Ruta. Mipha could summon a pillar of ice directly in front of her to act as a shield against attacks, as well as an additional platform if she needs to get to a higher area.

The ice is durable, but certainly not indestructible. Only one can be summoned at a time.

But the real kick to Mipha that would make her so unique is her healing abilities. We don't have a true healer character in the game (aside from WFT, who can't heal more than 2%) who doesn't need to meet certain conditions before they can heal. Ness/Lucas needs to absorb energy attacks and Robin needs to get close to a character and use Nosferatu. Mipha, however, would be able to heal on her own. Imagine if Mipha had a special similar to Cloud's Limit Break (minus auto charging as she takes damage) that would heal damage once charged for a certain amount of time. It wouldn't be anything too unreasonable. Maybe heal 5-7% after 7-9 seconds of charging. I think this could create some really interesting playstyles. It forces your opponent to be more aggressive and not camp, as you can just stand there and heal if they don't take action. Also, think about when you launch a character off the stage. Do you go after the player and go for a KO, or do you stay behind and try to heal?

Now to compensate for her ability to heal, I think Mipha would be made one of the slower fighters, as giving her a fast run speed would encourage camping (although a slow speed actually suits a Zora. They're faster in water, not on ground). Her attacks, however, would be lightning quick.

As for her Final Smash, well...

I'm not really sure what it could be. ;)

We don't have any spear fighters, and we don't have any healer characters. Tie those two together and you have a pretty unique combo.

Why is Mipha Likely?
"Timing was Perfect?"

If you've forgotten, let me remind you what the entirety of 2016 was like.

"Nintendo, it's been forever! When is Zelda Wii U coming out?"
"lol nintendo didn't reveal the nx at e3. nintendo is doomed."
"I'm starting to think Zelda Wii U is just an elaborate prank."

Seriously, no one would shut up about two things: "Zelda Wii U" and the "NX". Regardless of what part of 2016 Sakurai started development on Smash Switch, these two things were a hot topic. Now if Sakurai knew that such a huge AAA title was being released on a brand new console, a console that was responsible for him starting development on Smash Switch in the first place, then why wouldn't he want to consider it when he made the roster? Even if he wasn't initially aware of Mipha's existence, wouldn't it at least make sense for him to look at BotW so that he could look at the new versions of Link and Zelda? After all, there's no way he could plan for a new moveset or properly design them unless he looked at the game in advance.

With such a big title coming out on the Switch, I have a hard time imagining Sakurai not wanting to look deeper into BotW and weigh his options. The game was in late development by then, so Mipha's abilities, her design, and her cutscenes were likely finalized or very close to being finalized.

"She Fits the Theme"

Unfortunately, almost every Zelda character is at an automatic disadvantage because of the confirmation of BotW Link. Since BotW is getting center spotlight, it would be admittingly strange for Sakurai to go back and revisit a popular character from Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, or even Skyward Sword. The timing is poor for these guys, and there's not really a way you can get any of them to work with the BotW theme without making it seem forced (mainly because none of these characters even appeared in BotW, unless you count elderly Impa). Mipha on the other hand doesn't have this problem. She's one of the few Zelda characters who perfectly ties in with the theme without taking creative liberties.

Now to be fair, I will point out that Sakurai went with a TP theme in Brawl and still added Toon Link. However, since Toon Link was a clone and a replacement of sorts for Young Link (who definitely wouldn't fit the TP theme either), I'm not sure if this would be a good argument to bring up if you're making a case for a full-fledged newcomer.

"First Time's the Charm"

The Zelda characters we've been supporting over the past decade have been rejected once, twice, and for some, three times. Mipha is one of the only characters aside from her fellow Champions and a few HW originals who has never been considered for a Smash game, giving her the advantage over others. This means that Mipha's absolute best shot is now, whereas the other characters are in a tougher spot since they were rejected when their relevancy was at its peak. It's now or never.

"A Little Popularity Never Hurts"

"What the heck are you talking about!? Mipha isn't a popular request in Smash?"

That's probably what you're thinking, right? Well actually, I'm referring to her popularity in BotW, not in the Smash community. Ever since the release of the game, Mipha has been a well-recieved character. Many fans consider the Zora arc to be their favorite part of BotW, and Mipha's consistently been one of the most popular Champions, especially in Japan, where she is easily the fan-favorite. Heck, her amiibo was the only one of the four Champions to sell out online at every retail store in the US. The only Champion who comes close to beating Mipha is Urbosa. With Daruk and Revali, it ain't even close.

Now I have to point out that if Sakurai chose Mipha, it was likely before any of this even happened, meaning that her reception from fans might not have been a factor that existed back then. Still, I thought it was worth mentioning, just on the off-chance that it somehow did help her chances.

"For Crying out Loud! It's Breath of the Freaking Wild We're Talking About!"

BotW was such an impactful game that I honestly cannot see Sakurai avoiding adding a Zelda character again. BotW was a huge step for the series, and it broke away from tired traditions to create something extremely innovative and original. It did so phenomenally well that there's not really any excuse for Sakurai to not acknowledge that by adding a new character.

But what if Sakurai didn't know BotW would be successful, you say? Well, even if he didn't add Mipha on the initial roster, BotW was released in early March 2017. That's still well over a year and a half before Smash Switch would be released. Yes, I know Sakurai typically avoids adding characters later in development, but believe me, if there was ever a game big enough to make Sakurai feel like revisiting it for the sake of adding a newcomer, BotW would be that game.

"She's Related to Sidon"

I mean, if I were the director, this would be more than enough to convince me to add Mipha. Here's to hoping Sakurai shares the feeling.

Common Arguments against Mipha
"We can't get one Champion without getting all four."

I had to put this one first because it's the one I see the most. Truth be told, this is an argument I still don't quite understand. No one ever said the Champions were a package deal, yet everyone acts like these guys are four inseparable characters who can't exist without each other. Starter Pokemon have the same amount of importance, but did that stop Sakurai from cleaving Charizard from Squirtle and Ivysaur? Did Sakurai feel bad for picking Greninja and not Delphox? Obviously not. He picked the Pokemon that he felt like would be the best choice to represent the series. The Champions should be no different.

However, it seems like some people are convinced that the Pokemon situation is completely different, so allow me to approach this from a second perspective.

A popular belief is that the Champions would be better fit as Assist Trophies or as part of a new moveset for Link/Zelda. Now if you're someone who believes that adding a single Champion on the roster would be unfair, let me ask you this. Can you say with 100% absolute, concrete, unwavering confidence that if the Champions were to become Assist Trophies or part of a moveset, all four Champions would be used in the same capacity? That means all four Champions would become Assist Trophies, and all four Champions would be used in Link or Zelda's new moveset. If you can't confidently say this, then how is this any different than having one or two Champions on the roster? If your reasoning behind not thinking a Champion should be on the roster is because it wouldn't be fair, then how would making Mipha be the only Assist Trophy or Revali's Gale be the only Champion ability in Link's new moveset be any better? The answer is, it's not.

The Champions are susceptible to the same problem, regardless of how you integrate them in Smash.

"There are dozens of more memorable Zelda characters Sakurai could add, so why would he choose Mipha or any of the other Champions?"

I don't entirely disagree with this statement. Mipha's time in the spotlight was rather brief compared to other Zelda characters, and I think there are plenty of more memorable Zelda characters out there. However, this is why I don't think the argument works. What characters are you comparing Mipha to? Probably Skull Kid, Impa, Midna, and Tingle, right? Here's the thing - these guys have existed anywhere from 10 to 20 years. How old is Mipha? Barely even a year old. Obviously Mipha can't compete with the likes of these guys. They've had years and years to appear in games, merch, and other forms of media, whereas Mipha is currently relying entirely on the promotion from BotW. She might not seem iconic now, but that doesn't mean she lacks the potential to be iconic in the future.

To put it simply, Mipha is young. She has plenty of time to grow and build herself an image before we can actually say she isn't iconic or popular enough.

"(Insert Zelda character here) is WAY more unique than Mipha!"

This is entirely subjective. I've seen people find ways to incorporate BotW elements into Impa's moveset and make her sound like one of the most unique additions we could ever get. But when it comes to Mipha, an actual character from BotW? It's like their creativity hits a brick wall. "What could she do besides stabbing people with her weird shiny fork?"

Just because you think a character would or wouldn't be unique doesn't mean they'll be reflected that way in Smash. Need proof? Look at Ganondorf. Then look at Ice Climbers. The only thing that matters here is Sakurai himself. It's who would HE see potential in, not who WE would see potential in. This goes back to my point about Mipha never being able to be considered for Smash before. A lot of people say things like, "Impa would be Sakurai's first choice for the next Zelda rep because she's recurring and has the most to offer." That may or may not be true, but keep in mind that this would be Impa's fourth opportunity to get in Smash. If Impa really is the most obvious choice to Sakurai, why hasn't he added her yet? This certainly isn't the best time he could've added her, and the fact that she's been around for so long and still hasn't become playable tells me that Sakurai has some hesitations with adding her. Since we know for a fact that Sakurai has never been able to reject Mipha, there's currently nothing to indicate that he's either against the character or doesn't see potential in her. Of course, that also means that there's nothing to indicate that he's in favor of the character either, but it's still a good position to be in regardless.

"Who cares if BotW was popular? Not every Zelda game needs to be represented on the roster."

Very true. Not every Zelda game needs to be represented on the roster. And at this point, that's been the case for the past 15 years. Not counting designs, Wind Waker (2002) was the last game to get a character on the roster.

This is something I've seen a lot of people say whenever they see someone supporting a Champion. It's not so much about thinking a successful game like BotW needs to get represented on the roster as much as it is thinking that BotW has the best shot of getting a newcomer compared to the other Zelda games. Even though I like Mipha as a character and think she'd be a great addition, I also think she has a better shot than a majority of the Zelda cast. There's nothing wrong with supporting a character because you think they'd be likely. As a matter of fact, most of the Gen VII Pokemon we want in Smash got as much support as they did just because we all think they're likely to be added. If likeliness wasn't something we took into consideration when we support characters, then maybe we'd all still be clamoring for Zoroark and Sceptile.

If this is the argument you're using, then your main problem is likely being able to see the Champions as unique or playable characters, rather than simply just thinking BotW doesn't need a character. For that, I'd recommend looking at some movesets for the Champions and listen to what some of the supporters have to say. See if your opinion changed any after that.

"There are four Champions in BotW. What makes Mipha more likely than them?"

Now this is one argument I struggle with. All four Champions have equal importance. All four Champions have moveset potential. All four Champions have gotten equal promotion. The only thing Mipha has that separates herself from the rest is her popularity, and unfortunately, there likely wasn't enough time for that to be a factor unless she was added later in development. Honestly, Sakurai could get away with adding any of the four Champions (although some will probably be met with a warmer welcome than others :4falco:).

That being said, I can still explain why I would think Mipha would be more likely than the other three.

First off, the iconicness of the Zora race. Zoras have been in the LoZ series since the very first game, and they've continued to make appearances since then. They've appeared in plenty of popular Zelda games, such as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, A Link Between Worlds, and of course, Breath of the Wild. Their history easily trumps the likes of the Gerudo and (especially) the Rito, and the only Champion race that has a longer, broader history than the Zora is the Gorons. Needless to say, the Zora species are a staple of the Zelda series, and I think that's something that gives Mipha an advantage over some of the other Champions.

Second, there's Eiji Aonuma himself. The Zora are one of his, if not his most, favorite races in the Zelda series. An example of this can be seen in a recent interview by Nintendo UK. When asked if he would rather be a Zora, a Goron, or a Deku Scrub, Aonuma responded by smiling and holding up a Zora mask to his face (at the very least, this hints to us that Aonuma would likely prefer Mipha over Daruk). Another example of this can be found in a interview following BotW's second DLC pack. In this interview, Aonuma is directly asked who his favorite Champion was. His answer? Mipha (although he claims it might have previously been Urbosa). If Sakurai was having a difficult time choosing which Champion to add in Smash, I have no doubt that Aonuma would be a strong advocate for Mipha, should he have any involvement in Sakurai's decision.

My third and last point, the Zora themselves and how they were treated in BotW. This part is entirely subjective and shouldn't be taken as a solid argument, but I think it's still worth mentioning, especially if you've played BotW before. When players get to the part of BotW where Link is told by Impa that he needs to free the Divine Beasts, the one that most happen to free first is Vah Ruta. This almost seems intentional, as the area Link needs to find to begin the Zora arc (Lanayru Wetlands and Lanayru Tower) is extremely close to Kakarico Village and Hateno Village (the places Link is told to go to after completing the first area of the game). There's also plenty of Zora NPCs sprinkled around the nearby area, automatically telling you exactly where to go when you walk near them, something that wasn't done with the other three arcs. While there's nothing to verify it, I think the Zora were intended to be the first of the four races players find when playing BotW. If that's truly the case, this gives Mipha a slight edge over the other three, as the Zora arc would supposed to have intended to be the player's first impression of freeing the Champions and the Divine Beasts. Then there's also the amount of effort put into the Zora arc. A lot of people agree that the Zora arc is the best of the four arcs, and that's because they feel like the other arcs (particularly the Rito and the Gorons) didn't feel as special or long as the Zora's. If the development team spent extra time on fleshing out the Zora arc, that might indicate that (1) they really liked that part of the game and wanted to perfect it as much as they could, or (2) that was the first area they completed, thereby giving them the more time to add on to it.

"Mipha is just another one-shot character. She'll be no different than the rest."

Another good point. If Skull Kid, Midna, and Ghirahim couldn't make it in, why is Mipha different? Truth is, we might never understand why those guys never got in Smash. They had a lot of potential, yet failed to be anything more than an Assist Trophy. For a lot of people, Mipha is destined to follow that same path. While I can't give you a solid explanation on why the other one-shots were rejected, I can at least tell you why I think Mipha's situation differs from theirs.

Let's start with Skull Kid and Melee. Skull Kid was born at a rather unfortunate time to be considered for Smash. Before Melee came to be, Link was the only character on the roster. There were plenty of options to choose from, and adding Skull Kid was probably less of a priority than adding the main characters, Zelda and Ganondorf. By the time Brawl rolled around, it may have been too late for him. That's likely what held him back - a combination of bad timing and too much competition from other newcomers. Mipha doesn't really have this problem. Timing is definitely in her favor, and while she does have some stiff competition, none of them are anywhere close to being as important to the series as Zelda and Ganondorf. Yeah, there are some recurring choices that make more sense than Mipha (Impa, Tingle), but at the same time, they aren't exactly big enough to feel like the roster is incomplete without them.

Next is Midna and Brawl. I still don't quite understand why we didn't get this character. Timing was great, she fit the new TP theme, had a large role in her game, and she would've made a great addition to the roster. Instead, all we got in Brawl was a toony replacement for Young Link. The only explanation I can come up with here is that Sakurai may have felt like the Zelda series needed a break after getting four new characters in Melee (and this would help explain why Mario didn't get any true newcomers either). If that's the case, then Mipha definitely doesn't have the same problem as Midna. We've had a drought of Zelda newcomers for two games now, and fans are starting to feel as if Zelda is being neglected on the roster. Mipha won't be rejected because of over-saturation on the roster.

Last is Ghirahim and Smash 4. Honestly, this one shouldn't have come off as surprising. Even if timing was great, Skyward Sword was considered to be a subpar Zelda game. This game had mediocre sales, had mixed reception from fans, and was considered to be the worst 3D Zelda game in quite some time. Even if Zelda was due for another character, SS was definitely not the game Sakurai would've felt obligated to give a character to. Needless to say, BotW is the polar opposite of SS. Mipha will definitely not be rejected because Sakurai didn't feel like her game deserved a character, and you can quote me on that anytime you'd like.

Overall, I think Mipha lacks most of the things that might have held back the other one-shots. That's not to say Mipha doesn't have her own problems, because she definitely does. She has three other equally important counterparts who could easily steal that spot away from her. Still, there's not much reason to think history will repeat itself, or at least not in the same way it did with the other one-shots. If Mipha gets rejected, it'll likely be for a different reason than the others.

"Isn't it possible for Sakurai to just skip the Zelda series and not add anyone?"

This is the last argument I wanted to address. Short answer - yes, it is certainly possible. Sakurai could feel like there aren't any relevant Zelda characters worth adding and once again not give us anything.

However, I don't really see the point in doing so. Even if we can't agree on who should get added, there's a unified voice requesting more Zelda characters. What reason is there for Sakurai to wait even longer? Should he ask Aonuma to incorporate Impa into the next Zelda game so she's extremely relevant again by the time the next Smash game rolls around? Should he wait until we get a new Zelda game with one-shot characters slightly more important to the story than the Champions? If Sakurai treats every Smash game like it's his last, why would he hold off on adding another Zelda rep, especially after a game as successful as BotW?

Despite popular opinion, I believe our best shot at getting a Zelda newcomer is now, because if something like BotW can't get us a newcomer, we sure as heck won't be getting anything from a future Zelda game.

Conclusion
If you're someone who still isn't sold on the idea of Mipha, I totally get it. She's a new character to a series that's been around for over thirty years. You've been supporting Zelda characters far more iconic than her, and seeing her in Smash is something that might not sit well with you. She's probably not your first, second, or maybe even seventh choice. Still, I hope you'll at least try to look past all that and see Mipha for what she is. Even if she's not as iconic as Skull Kid or Tingle, she's still unique. That's something you can't take way from her, regardless of how new she is. She's also from BotW, the best-selling game in the history of the Zelda series that over ten million people have bought since its release a little over a year ago. No other Zelda character can say something like that.

It's fine if you doubt her chances. It's fine if you don't like her. But please, don't just write her off entirely like most people tend to do. She's got a better shot than you think, so try to be fair and give her the chance she deserves.

...And, that's that. If you actually took the time to read all this, I'm extremely impressed with your dedication to see all that I had to say. If you only read two sentences, well, that's still time that you took to read this, so thanks. Here's to hoping some of you are as optimistic about Mipha as me.

Chance: 80%
Might seem more than a little high to you, but that's how much faith I have in Mipha and the Champions as a whole. I've supported a lot of Zelda characters over the years, and none of them were able to make it in Smash. I kinda lost hope for a while, but after seeing the success of BotW and noting the absence of a Zelda newcomer in Smash 4, I have a feeling this will be the game where we'll get someone new. Personally, I think the Champions have the best shot out of everyone due to their relevance and the massive impact of their game, and I feel like Mipha would be the obvious choice out of the four.

If I didn't want Mipha, why would I make such a long post? The fish princess is one of my most-wanted newcomers, and aside from her spear and healing abilities, the Zora are easily my favorite race in the Zelda series. I'd love to see some of the less human races represented on the roster. Although even if I'm pulling for Mipha, I'd gladly take Daruk or Revali (Urbosa is cool too, but she isn't my priority since Ganondorf, a Gerudo, is on the roster).
Neat analysis. I love the fact you took the time to write it up.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
A character having fewer years under their belt than other contenders is hardly a positive. The fact of the matter is that Mipha has had one appearance in a single game in a franchise that has nearly 20 major titles, not counting spinoffs.

Also, I don't think some of you guys understand how high a chance 1/4 or even 1/10 really is.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Mipha

Nothing against her, but I just don't see one-off Zelda characters getting in (except Sheik, who was really just an accessory to Zelda). If not even Midna could make it in twice in a row, then I don't see hope for anyone.

Want: 15%
I don't like Zelda, so I don't care. The only Zelda character I'd especially want is Groose.

Steve prediction: 5%

Nominations:
Viewtiful Joe x2

Last edited:

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
Fish waifu

Chance: 2%
Too much competition and most likely a one off character.

Want: 70%
She has a gentle demeanor and would have loved to see a lot more of the champions in BOTW. But alas the game was more focused on open world.

Nomination Django x5

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Mipha

Chance: 5% - Yeah, we're not getting the champions. They spend the entirety of BOTW dead, only being alive in flashbacks, and in those, we only see Daruk and Urbosa do any combat, limited to one attack each. BOTW is a big deal, sure, but it's getting repped plenty fine considering Link himself is switching outfits to represent it. With Zelda likely pulling the same deal and an inevitable BOTW stage, the Champions are wholly unnecessary to represent the game, and like every other Zelda one-shot before them, aren't happening. Even amongst the champions, Mipha is probably the least likely, considering she doesn't have the popularity of Revali or Urbosa, nor an actual combat showing like Urbosa and Daruk. Even the ability she gives Link makes no sense as a move, unlike the other three. Her moveset would have to be invented from whole cloth, and Sakurai will almost definitely look elsewhere for a character that'd require less make-believe. The only way I see the champions happening is if we get all four of them, and there's no way they're going to put in that much effort for four dead-as-doornails one-offs whose greatest contributions were being cutscene fodder.

Want: 0% - The champions are Zelda one-offs, and like every Zelda one-off (barring Skull Kid, oddly), will be largely forgotten by the time the next Zelda comes out in favor of that game's new hotness. I'm personally getting real tired of the Zelda one-off cycle myself, so hopefully when these guys fail to make it, people will finally get it. I'm not getting my hopes up though. I'd much rather see an evergreen character like Impa myself, and even in BOTW Mipha's voice was the second worst to me after Zelda herself, so I'd rather not see her show up for that reason either.

Predictions

...ugh...

Steve: 20.88% - Minecraft is definitely one of the most iconic games of the modern era, and Steve would be the pick to represent that. I despise the idea of it happening, as many do, just for visual reasons alone, but the sheer size of Minecraft makes it hard to ignore. Bad blood will likely lead to lower scores, but I feel the levelheaded types will probably push this higher than I'm comfortable with.

Nominations

Scorpion x 5

With Lara locked in, it's time to get back to work.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Mipha

Chance - 1%
Her chances already struggle, simply due to the fact that she isn't a form of Link, Zelda, or Ganon.
Despite coming from the most recent game, unlike the rest of the one-off characters we've discussed before, Mipha has to face competition from three other characters in nearly the exact same place as her, being Revali, Daruk, and Urbosa. Unless there are plans for her (or any of the champions for that matter) to become mainstays of the franchise, I can't see it happening.

In terms of a BotW-based moveset (Champion Spells, Sheikah Slate Runes, etc.), it'd be much more likely to have Link or Zelda take some elements from the game rather than throwing them all off on a one-off character that isn't even canonically capable of using most of them.

Want - 0%

If we're getting a BotW champion, she'd probably be my last pick. Daruk and Urbosa are infinitely times more interesting in nearly every single way. Hell, I'd even take Revali over her. I hate Revali as a character, but at least he fills the same 'bird archer' niche that Decidueye could have.

Nominations:
Scorpion x5

Last edited:

slambros

Smash Ace
Mipha

Chance: 25%
One timer, other champions, that kind of stuff holding her back... but she is a fan favorite.

I just know she'd be a good character. I haven't placed as much of Breath of the Wild as I've wanted to but I know she'd be unique and worthwhile to develop.

Nominations:
Ryu Hayabusa x5

:171:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Give Me the Fish

Chance: 3%
She's a Zelda character. That alone drops her chances down several pegs, considering her vast competition from more popular and historic one-offs like Midna and Skull Kid, recurring characters like Tingle and (gag) Impa, and, of course, her fellow Champions, not to mention Sakurai's treatment of the Zelda series in the past - Zelda character representation seems to be limited to Triforce wielders at the moment, and I just can't see him bucking the trend with Mipha, of all characters. And that's ignoring the fact that she's canonically dead as of the very game she debuted in, so the possibility of her becoming some series staple is unlikely to say the least. I'll be genuinely surprised if this happens.

Want: 0%
No! I don't want that!
Dated meme aside (that's twice I've gone there in one post), I'm pretty much against the idea of most Zelda characters getting in at this point, and Mipha, or any of the BOTW Champions, for that matter, would bother me the most due to being purely flavor-of-the-month picks. Simply put, if they don't get in this time, fan pull for them will be minimal for future titles. And this is why I just don't understand people who are pushing for a Champion; even if you love the character, why would you want them to be put in just for them to end up in a position where they'll most likely have to be cut later on due to lack of long-run importance and/or popularity?

Furthermore, I just don't like what I hear about her moveset potential. While it is true that we haven't had a dedicated healer in Smash yet, that might just be because it's not a good idea. I dunno about anyone else, but I can see a campy, self-healing character being really, really annoying to play against, not to mention difficult to balance, so she'd likely either be way too good or just plain bad. I don't want another Little Mac situation, quite frankly. As for the spear gimmick, there just so happens to be a battle-ready little lad from another series that's hurting for a newcomer whose main mark is his spearmanship, and also has both relevancy and consistent attendance in his own series to boot. His name's Bandanna Dee, and I know I would not appreciate him getting out-speared by a fish.

In short, I don't like Mipha. She's as flavor-of-the-month as candidates get, she likely wouldn't make for a fun or well-balanced character, and frankly, the idea of one Champion being prioritized over the other three just doesn't sit well with me. If we absolutely must get a new Zelda character, an idea which I'm opposed to by and large, then why not go with a safer choice who won't be totally forgotten in a couple years; someone with multiple appearances under his belt; someone like...

Nominating Tingle x5 (Oh, I am not making friends today...)

Steve Prediction: 15.42%. Minecraft's an undeniably huge phenomenon, although it has fallen notably out of style in the past couple years, which would make Steve a poor and shortsighted choice in my opinion, but still one I think worth considering within the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
THE GREATEST ZORA IN HISTORY!!!!!!!
For chance and want, I want to tell a story. Last year, Botw came out to critical acclaim, and a character in said game also reached critical acclaim. A Zora. A beautiful gorgeous Zora. Everyone fell under the spell of the Zora with perfect body. Sakurai know doubt fell under this spell. It doesn't matter if Botw released too late, Sakurai would no doubt add this Zora to the game the minute he discovered the BEAUTIFUL CREATION. He even said he's healthier this time around. This is doubt a result of HIM. IT IS MY GREAT PRIVILEGE TO GIVE SIDON HIS SCORES

CHANCE 100%
WANT 100%

......we're not rating Sidon......
We're rating Mipha instead.

Mipha
Chance 4%
She holds no significance over the other champions and does nothing to stand out from them. She's just people looking for someone to add because they like the games.

"i want to heal you link, i'm shy. i love you but too shy, I'm very one note and have a terrible voice actor because i'm a very precious, but people love me because i have fish boobs and links waifu" *pukes* I mean DLC fixed her a little but she's still terrible

And thank you everyone who helped get Lara Croft up so high. Assuming she's now locked in with the rest of the top 9. I nominate Parabo and Satebo x5 unless I'm misinformed

Prediction Steve 19%

Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Mipha

Mipha is an odd one. She's a Champion from Breath of the Wild, which makes her fairly significant to the game's plot, she's also even with the other three Champions. If they were going to put in a Champion, why would they pick her over the other three? There's also the issue of her not being seen much - while it's safe to assume she'd fight like other Zoras, and could probably use a water-based moveset in Smash, you don't really see her fight at all, and like the other Champions, she doesn't actually show up during the course of the game, only being seen through memories. So not only is she not any more significant than the other Champions, but there's not much to base her moveset off of.

Concepts like the one Cosmic77 Cosmic77 provided give some fantastic ideas, but I feel like a Smash moveset would either be limited in scope, or really go beyond what is seen in the game - her abilities, in my opinion, simply aren't shown off enough to warrant her inclusion. There's also the issue of her being a one-off character - the only Zelda characters that have ever been in Smash are mainstays, with the exception of Young Link (who ended up removed) and Toon Link, but they got in because they're clones of Link, who is, of course, in every game. Unless they change things up, I don't see them adding one-off Zelda characters suddenly... and even if they do, I doubt they'd choose Mipha over well-known/popular ones like Skull Kid, Tingle, Medli, and so on. I do think, though, that if they choose to put one Champion in, it'll be Mipha. Don't really have any evidence or reasoning for this, it's just a guess! :p

Sure! I liked her in Breath of the Wild. While there isn't too much to make a moveset off of, I'm sure she'd end up being fun however she worked! She's another character where I'm not rooting for her, but I wouldn't be opposed to her inclusion.

-----

Steve chance prediction: 14.58%

Nomination:

DeMille x5

Last edited:

CometX-ing

Smash Apprentice
Mipha
Chances: 10%

We have had so many Zelda games and so many Smash games and never once got a rep from them who wasn't named Ganondorf, Link or Zelda (Even Sheik was just an extension of Zelda's moveset until 4). Zelda has had so many possible reps like Skull Kid, Midna, Ghirahim. even Impa, a reoccurring character in Zelda, hasn't gotten in yet. The idea that any of the champions would get in is stretch. I can't see Mipha getting in, given past experience. At best I can see her getting in as a AT or as apart of BotW Link's moveset should it get changed.

Want: 80%
In terms of the Champions I would be happy with any of them getting in, though and Mipha and Revali are the best choices given their weapon variety. Her relationship to Link made her one of my favorite champion (even if Link really didn't show much emotion for her). I'd be all for her.

Nominations:
Primarina x5

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Chance: 25% She is ony prediction roster, but that's more because I want a Zelda character and she is one of the more likely ones. In the grand scheme of things and considering not getting a Zelda character is very likely, she's not that likely. But in short Zelda should get a BOTW rep and Mipha is the most likely champion imo. Read Cosmic's post they did a great job.

Want: 50% She would be pretty cool. Would rather Urbosa, but a healer / defensive fighter would be cool.

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Mipha

Chance: 7%

There are so many other Zelda characters with more importance to the franchise as a whole and are much more requested. The only edge that she, along with the other Champions for that matter, has is relevance because she played a major role in the most recent main series Legend of Zelda game. However, she has as good of a chance as any other one-off Zelda character due to their relative lack of importance to the franchise as a whole.

Want: Abstain

I have never played Breath of the Wild, but I have heard that it is a stellar game. Perhaps I should check it out if I ever get a Switch.

Prediction:
Steve (Minecraft): 16.55% (I can already sense this will be an interesting discussion to say the least. This is exactly why I nominated it.)

Nominations:
Concept: All-Star Versus
x5 (It is basically where players can use different characters for each stock. I've seen people play it in Project M and it looks very fun.)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm actually glad we're rating Steve before E3, I actually look forward to his day. Minecraft has a big impact

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mipha

Chance - 0.5% - We typically don't get characters that end up as one-offs from games, unless like Fire Emblem they start from scratch each game. Zelda, despite more or less deserving a newcomer, suffers heavily from depending on only a few characters. Thus far, the only exception has been Sheik, who was attached to Zelda originally (and you can't exactly argue against her), but was separated and kept due to legacy. Otherwise, we don't see them. I think Sakuai tries to pick characters that will be eternally relevant, and Mipha's future is uncertain and (due to being dead before the game even begins) unlikely. Until we get something to show me otherwise, I'm rating champions the same.

Want - 35% - Not really. I'd rather get Vaati.

Predictions

Steve? - 11.24% - A popular yet strage choice.

Nominations

Masked Dedede Final Smash X5

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Mipha
Chance: 1% -
It's no Champions or all of them and I sincerely doubt we will get four Zelda newcomers in one game, much less ones we have so little information on.
Want: 10% - Mipha is by far my favorite Champion, but if we get one we really need the full set.

Prediction: Steve?
Chance: 26.71%
Want: 43.21%

Nominations:

Sakura Shinguji x5

ribbit

Kitty-chan

Happy Pyromaniac Neko
3DS FC
1203-9800-8781
Mipha

Chance: 5%
She was from the latest Zelda game that Nintendo basically worshiped for a long time, and is pretty popular nya. But, she faces nyalot of competition from many other Zelda characters that have been requested for for ages nya. ... And of course, she is competing with the other champions too nya. Maybe she'll get in as an AT nya? I have nyo doubt she'll get a trophy at least mew~

Want: 80%
Fishy nya? Fishy! She's a fishy nya! I wanya gut the fishy and grill her to perfection nya! Nyaummy treat nya~ What? Nyu don't like eating fishies nya!? Nyu're a sick freak nya!!! ... More for me nya~!:nifty:... She's a fishy with a spear and I welcome any Zelda nyucomers nya. Personally I'd wanya see her the most out of the champions nya! And I hope the calming sound of sizzling occurs whenever she's hit by a fire nyattack nya!:nifty:

Nyominations
Eevee: x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Dore Mipha solatido

Chance: 60%

Simply put I'm confident we're getting a Champion. Even more simply put, she has the best shot of the four.

People may shout "one off" and whatnot, but you know what? Link is the Hylian Champion. Revali is the Rito Champion. Urbosa is the Gerudo Champion. Daruk is the Goron Champion. Mipha is the Zora Champion.

The Champions are, canonically, physical representatives of their respective races, making them the perfect way to show off these iconic Zelda races in Smash Bros.
While Mipha may not appear again, you better believe Zoras will. And she is the character that, in-universe, was chosen as the representative of that race. Admittedly this point isn't as strong for Urbosa (since Ganondorf already covers Gerudo) or Revali (as Rito are much less recurring), but this is a definite boon for Mipha and Daruk, considering how prolific Zora and Gorons are.

As well, being a trident user with aquamancy powers (given that she's a Zora) makes for compelling moveset material.

Only downside is that if Sakurai only went off of concept art, Mipha looked hella boring.

I loved Aquaman in Injustice. Mipha would be Smash's Aquaman.

That being said if given the choice I would 100% go with Daruk instead.

Predicting a 23.4 for Steve.
Nominating K. Rool x5

Last edited:

Quetzal77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
yomugo
3DS FC
1349-4940-0147
Mipha
Chance: 15%
BotW is huge, arguably the biggest Zelda release since OoT. I think there's a chance Sakurai is going to add a newcomer from that game, which will be one of the 4 champions or 4 descendants. Yes, Link and probably Zelda and maybe Ganondorf will get a makeover and possibly new moves from BotW, but that's not enough. That said, all 4 champions have equal chances, though I kind of see Urbosa as the least likely since she uses a (type of) sword. Mipha and Revali are the two most likely, imo. Despite this, it could go in several different ways, so I can't rate her higher.

I'd be happy with her or Revali since they would bring highly unique movesets. I slightly prefer her since Zoras have been around since the start of the Zelda series. Honestly, I think it's time to break the unwritten rule of "No one-off Zelda characters". If FE and Pokemon can add new characters while having rotating casts, Zelda should too.

Steve: 40.7%
Nominations: Pyra/Mythra (without Rex) x5 if they're not a lock yet; otherwise Neku x5

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Mipha Chance: 45%

Regardless of everything she and the other champions may have going for her/them, I continue to lack confidence that any characters who have started out as one-shots will have good odds of getting into the next Smash game. Midna and Zant missed out in Brawl, Ghirahim missed out in Smash 4, and I don't think any of the Champions are particularly likely to break the cycle, at least, more likely than not, anyway.

That said, considering how far we are into the Smash series without any Zelda newcomers since Brawl (even then, it was only Toon Link, who had the torch of being the roster's "young Link" passed onto him from OoT's Young Link. I still certainly consider him a newcomer, but he was also the only Zelda newcomer we got in that game) and that BotW was a massive success, perhaps this will be the Smash game to finally change things up for Zelda's part of the roster. I expect new ground to be broken for some other franchises represented in Smash already. We shall see.

Want: 55%

Despite not having gotten far in Breath of the Wild yet, I really like the Zoras and from what I know of Mipha I think she'd bring a unique and fun moveset to the game. I couldn't say no, even if I do support a few other Zelda characters more than her.

Steve? Prediction: 31%

Nominations: Tetra x5

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
Mipha

Chance: 6%

- My dislike for BotW aside, the champions would be sensical choices but it should be all four of them. Choosing one over the other 3 feels unfair.

- She’s not Lana.

Prediction

Steve: 19%

Nomination

Neptune (Neptunia Series) x5

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
The comparisons with Pokemon fall short when one considers that the starter Pokemon are already unequally popular in their home games, which led to them becoming more (or less) significant over time within their series. Charizard is a great example, because he has always been leagues more popular than Blastoise and Venusaur, which led to him getting a more prominent role in the anime and the games as time went on (see: two Mega evolutions).

The champions, however, are of similar significance in their home game. Further, popularity of any given candidate is largely irrelevant when one considers that Sakurai would have had to choose the character before their game's release.

A champion is less significant individually to Breath of the Wild than Midna was to Twilight Princess and Fi was to Skyward Sword. To call any of these characters likely when one considers the circumstances surrounding them is, frankly, absurd. It's making conclusions based on desire rather than on actual evidence.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Mipha Why did I think we were doing Midna?

Chance: 40%
Want: 40%

According to page 86, section 2u in the Super Smash Bros. Rulebook of Assumptions, "One-shot characters from The Legend of Zelda franchise are forbidden to joining the battle. Spin-off appearances don't count." Despite that huge hurdle, I'll humor the idea of Mipha getting into Smash.

Looking at the four Champions in BotW, you could implement them as moves. Using Link as an example, Revali's Gale launches Link to the sky with a gust of winds. That's the Up Special. Urbosa's Fury fires lighting near the enemy. That can be the Side Special. Daruk's Protection surrounds Link in a barrier, and acts as a reflect. That's the Down Special. What about Mipha's Grace? Well, it's basically a permanent free fairy-in-a-bottle for Link to use when his hearts drop to zero. It's passive unlike the other abilities. I can't exactly see it become Link's Neutral Special because I expect the bow to stay. It'd be nerfed big time if Link had access to it.

What else is there? Considering how much of an impact Breath of the Wild made, I think it can bring in content beyond what the Zelda franchise typically does. Let's thrown in someone from that game as a playable character. Why not Mipha? Yes, her only appearing being BotW may be an issue, but "All or Nothing" for the Champions shouldn't be. Being a one-shot is well... we never got Midna, or Ghirahim, but were them being one-shots the main reason they weren't included? Sheik is technically a one-off, but I guess being an alt to one of the Triforce trio is an exception to the rule.

Nominations
Rowlet x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Mipha
Chance - 15%
Part of me thinks the success of Breath of the Wild might bring in someone, but there's that part of me thinks we are cursed to only have Links and Zeldas. She of course has competition with the other one offs, the other champions, and possibly even her own brother that was not killed off like she was.
Want - 55%
I don't know a whole lot on Zelda, but I do really like the ideas of different species instead of just more Links and Zeldas. I put her brother, Sidon, on the bingo card simply cause a trident wielder fish man seemed cool. And he's alive and well where as she is dead and buried. But, I really won't be hurt if either of them do or don't get in, I just think they offer more to the roster than other options.

Nominations 5x Pikmin Newcomer

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Mipha
Chance: 4%
Even if we were to get just one of the champions (which I don't think is especially unlikely), Mipha would probably be the lowest priority. Revali or Urbosa would likely be the one to get in.

Want: 3%
Honestly, I'd be kinda mad if we got Mipha without the other champions, and I don't want to see all four, either. I love BotW, but I don't like her. The whole "unrequited crush on the protagonist" cliche is a tired trope that basically insta-kills any interest I might otherwise have in a character.

Nominate Fire Emblem Switch Protagonist x5

andimidna

Smash Master
Mipha:

Chance: 4%

These are *not* the reasons I’m rating low:
1. Can’t have one-offs
2. She isn’t Link, Zelda, or Ganon
3. Can’t have one without the other
4. We have all the Zelda characters that need to be here

Rather
1. I don’t think she’s established herself as an especially major character in the series, which can be done in 1 game
2. Nothing for this one, it’s happenstance for all we know
3. Her individual impact on the game she comes from isn’t as significant as many others due to the spotlight being shared by multiple characters. Compare this to the focus Midna has in TP or Skull Kid in MM.
4. Few characters “need” to be here. This one also doesn’t mean anything

Also I don’t think this whole design thing helps at all. Sheik got an updated design once. So what? The design existed already and was used. Besides, the old designs will probably just be pushed from the front as alternate costumes, still existed all the same. It looks good for Link and Zelda to match, but other than that I don’t know what makes people think it matters. I’d want other characters to then match the games that make sense respectively. TP Ganon not updated would be fine, HW Ganon too, some unseen BotW concept art too. All of the above. We have a Toon Link with a WW design despite the others having been TP. If you picture BotW Link, TP Ganon, and OoT Sheik all side by side in your head, it looks normal, doesn’t it? The outlier is Toon Link if anyone

I want a new Zelda character sm, but after all this hoping for one of my faves I got this, yea I’d be disappointed. Basically I’m just petty and want others way more

Steve prediction: 17.25%
Woah, these other predictions look really high um
Yikes did I miss something
I always just put him in the same basket as Sans ok

x5 FE Summoner

Last edited:

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Mipha

I'm one of the very few people who sees Pig Ganon as having a very legitimate chance, so that should show you how little of a chance I see the BOTW characters having. There is no clear outlier from them and their popularity is nothing to write home about. If there was one, it would probably be Revali/Urbosa anyway given the developers like them. Heck, I'd even see Daruk before Mipha as well.

Chance/Want 0%

Nominate Fawful x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly I kind have had my position on Zelda characters evolve, I feel I may have rated Midna and Skull Kid a tad too high. Let me just say my ratings for one time Zelda characters will no longer be so kind.

Mipha

0% Chance

Part of me feels that putting in a one time Zelda character raises so many questions. The main one is why?

Why Mipha over say Midna? Skull Kid? If relevancy is the only real arguement, then it kind of falls apart due to the fact that all one time Zelda characters have some relevance with Hytulr Warriors. Is it moveset potential? Most of them have that. Choosing Mipha because she holds a spear feels weak when she doesn’t use it.

Why choose Mipha over a recurring character like Tetra or Impa or Ganon? Hell even Tingle? Is it because “too many triforce”? The series does not have recurring characters. Maybe that’s the reason that Zelda has it’s five characters as link link Zelda Zelda Ganon.

Ok but latest assume that for some unknown reason you choose a new Zelda rep that is a one off who has not yet stood the rest of time like say Minda or Skull Kid or Ghirahim. Mipha also has competition from within her own game. I could argue the same arguements for Mipha I could for the other champions. Not that I need to: none of them will make it in the game.

0% Want

Why?

Design wise I am not a fan of the Zora. Like honestly give me a Goron or a Rito or them any day. Zora design wise look pretty bad. I honestly find that the only art style they ever worked in was Wind Waker. And we saw one dead one.

But onto Mipha. She is boring. All the champions are boring. I did not find any of them interesting. I saw token Zelda races sprinkled Into BotW. Mipha is no exception. She feels like the token Zora. Her personality is just every trope of shy girls ever. In combat? Well we have never seen her fight other than her holding a spear.

Also I would actually be upset if she got in. Why her over any of the better choices? Let me list a few off the top of my head.

Ganon
Young Link w masks
Impa
Tingle
Midna w Wolf Link
Ghirahim
Tetra
Skull Kid
The bug girl from Twilight Princess
Lana
Vaati
Ravio
The other champions who I also do not like
Groose
Linkle

A darknut/iron knuckle would be a better choice than Mipha. At least people would not forget and move on after the next new Zelda game comes out. I’d take Epona as her own character over Mipha. I would even take something like Classic Link from Link between worlds, because at least that is something that would make more sense than this. I’d rather have Blue Bowser.

Nominating Eevee x 5

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Chance: 0%
Besides the obvious change of Link's default costume and most likely Zelda's we aren't getting more BOTW characters as playable characters. Mipha and the rest of the champions are prime AT bait like most B list Zelda characters.

Want:0%
I really love the Legend of Zelda franchise, it got me into gaming so aside from fixing Gannondorf and decloning Toon Link the current lineup of LoZ characters in Smash is absolutely perfect and I'd be very bitter if they ruined that for Mipha. The only character from LoZ I'd be ok with adding is Vaati but Nintendo seems to have forgotten he exists so I'll be waiting a while.

Troykv

Smash Master
The bug girl from Twilight Princess
Agitha, her name is Agitha (or Ageha using katakana name).

Okay so... Mipha...

Mipha depends of the possibiliy of a Champion character appearing in Smash Bros... which I personally give 30~% chance of happening because of current trends, but have the usual problem of lacking staying power... So who knows... I then divide it in 4 parts... so...

Chance: 7.5%

Relevancy and everything around BotW are her greatest advantages. She is also kind of unique design wise compared with other Smash people, so yeah, possible, but how she isn't an actual main character hurts this overall.

I'm neutral :p

Predictions:

Steve?: 12.4%

Nominations: (Cranky is already up here? And there isn't enought time to nominate Adeleine? Well... it's time to vote for the random fun stuff).

Neptune (Neptune/Neptunia Series) x5

Top Bottom