• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I think I said if Isabelle was unique, I'd be indifferent, slightly positive for her inclusion. Because she increases female representation and while I'm not an Animal Crossing fan, the series certainly is a big enough deal that a second character makes sense. Since I'm not a big fan of Villager's moveset, not being an Echo is good. The subsequent announcement of a Switch Animal Crossing makes sense, as I had noted there hadn't been a main series AC game in several years. AC was worthy already, but that adds a promotional aspect.

So I'm not upset she was included, or that she's mostly unique, BUT, I have to say, as others have... that's probably the worst Smash newcomer trailer yet.

I mean, there are some that didn't have as great or long animations as Mega Man's, Palutena's, Ridley's or Simon Belmont's (which is probably the best trailer of them all, imo, because that Luigi intro was great), they were mostly short and sweet. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man and the DLC fighters didn't have great cutscenes, but what they did have was better looking, more entertaining and/or got to the point quickly. And most of them (especially the DLC characters) showed off the character's moveset better too. Isabelle's just dragged on and on to the point where I almost skipped ahead to her newcomer splash screen. And her moveset wasn't shown off as well as most (WFT's was probably the worst in that regard).

So her trailer actually made me even less excited than I already was.

Although I'll admit I'm also a bit disappointed because I was hoping we'd see more than one new character. I mean, I was hoping we'd get a trailer at the start and the end, but I knew that was optimistic. But I thought maybe we'd at least get to see another Echo. Maybe we won't see any more Echoes unless they are related to a newcomer (meaning probably from the same series, and incorporated into the trailer like Richter) or we get another Smash Direct (which there probably will be to discuss the new single player mode and online modes). It was also underwhelming after anticipating the reveal for a week due to the delay...

Isabelle satisfaction: 50%
Meh, she's fine.

Isabelle trailer satisfaction: 10%
I'm not a huge fan of Palutena, for example, but her trailer had great animation and showed off her moveset much better. Isabelle already isn't exciting to me, and they gave her the most boring trailer ever.

Purely in the sense of "does the character look fun to play as or against" I'd say she looks potentially better than Villager though. While she has several similar moves, her moveset looks like it will probably be less campy. Vertically launching Lloid and no Tree could affect her playstyle quite a bit.

Last edited:

Cetus

Smash Apprentice
Isabelle Satisfaction-100%

Good doggo, best doggo. Her moveset is interesting and looks fun. Absolutely going to be using her as a secondary.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Isabelle satisfaction: 100%
She's a Nintendo All Star, and the only one outside Inklings I felt was a lock. Glad to see I was right on her.
All that talk about 'too peaceful and pacifist' was hot air and there's a surprising amount of salt about her which just amuses me more. She's easily more famous and important to Nintendo than half the obscure choices people keep throwing about and yet there was barely any support for her.

The only downside was I'll probably never want to watch her trailer again. Whilst it kept the feel of Animal Crossing going, that the text boxes took so long to be clicked to go to the next text bubble made the trailer feel sluggish and dull. Still, when we actually see Izzy in action? Heck yes.

Cannot wait to annihiliate the likes of Ridley or K. Rool or even Simon; super tough manly men choices with a tiny fluffy ditzy puppy dog. That's so incredibly Nintendo and I love it.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was a good announcement, although I wonder what the fourth amiibo for it is. Luigi, Boo and Toad are about the only characters that I could think of that have amiibos and are frequent enough in the game...I guess Mario appeared a bit?

So many RPGs. I personally don't have the time for RPGs, but even I was tempted when I heard about Final Fantasy 7 and 9 arriving to the Switch. I never got to play either, so it'd be interesting to play Cloud's adventure.
Xenoblade section peaked my curiosity. I skipped the first game, X was way too expensive and I wasn't sure whether to get 2 if I missed the first games. If this is indeed a great place for newcomers to start, I may grab the game.

New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe is...weird. Toadette can transform into Peachette?!? Is Peach therefore an evolved Toad? Is Toadette Peach's long lost sister trapped in a Toad body? Who the heck knows at this point. Minor annoyance that Yellow Toad is the playable one opposed to Regular when Toadette has replaced Blue Toad. Is this to make up for 3D World to Yellow Toad? Weird. Still, I'll probably grab it. Skipped Luigi U last time so I'm curious.

Crystal Chronicles remake was exciting for me. One of my favourite Gamecube titles but now without the needlessly complex controller system. No longer will we all need a whole other game console and some hard to get cables to play this. Now if they can just release Four Sword Adventures for Switch too I'll be totally happy.

I want to love Yoshi's Crafted World, but there's something about it that isn't working for me. I love the craft aesthetic usually; Paper Mario and Yoshi's Wooly World/Kirby's Epic Yarn all grabbed my imagination, but Crafted World seems like a mutt of both Wooly World and regular Yoshi's Island meaning the theming isn't as strong. Sometimes things are made of yarn, sometimes paper, sometimes neither...just odd.

Talking of; Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn was a surprise, but I'm pleased. I notice the lack of Prince Fluff there, and uh oh...no Yarn Bandana Dee either.

Animal Crossing's announcement was...confusing. I thought Tom Nook was going to ALSO appear somehow as a Smash fighter despite being a Final Smash element for both Villager and Isabelle. No gameplay footage or anything outside a logo. Sad.

The Online video was incredibly well animated and very cute. I can't say I care too much about some of the features but I certainly enjoyed the trailer for it there.

The rest didn't really grab my attention, but it seems I enjoyed the Direct more than most. I've been looking for more new games to look forward to on my Switch as currently my list is a little light; Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad(of course) and Kirby Star Allies with me looking to get Aces and Breath of the Wild soon, but this gives me some more games to look forward to even if many are ports.

Nominate: Gooey X 5

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Oh yeah...

All that Final Fantasy content coming to Switch made me go hmmmmmmmmm

Vergeben did say there would be a Square Enix newcomer. He also said Isabelle would be playable (there were obviously some hints already like her AT being MIA). So... I'd say that I'd probably rate Geno (or other Square Enix possibilities) even higher now.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm glad I'll finally get the chance to play Final Fantasy 7.

Now for Isabelle

As an inclusion as a whole, I'd put Isabelle at a 90%

To me, she just made a lot of sense, and having her specifically as a unique newcomer gives me hope for future decisions. To me it shows Sakurai still looks at more than just BALLOT BALLOT BALLOT which I think a lot if people assumed. It shows he'll still use a semblance of what I consider logic when it comes to including characters. Isabelle has become an Icon for a very profitable franchise to Nintendo and is popular and highly promoted. To me she makes sense, and I like when things make sense. So far every newcomer has made sense to me and that's a good thing imo.

But she had one major thing holding her back.

HER TRAILER WAS SO LAME!!!!!

But I'll leave her satisfaction score the same.

Also LUIGI'S MANSION 3 HYPE

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Isabelle (Animal Crossing series)
Satisfaction: 85%
I predicted either her or Bandana Dee for this very smash, so I'm feeling very smug right now. I also predicted she wouldn't be an Echo Fighter, so to see her prove me right is just icing on the cake... even if she does have some basis in Villager's move-set (at worse, she looks like a... quarter clone?)​

Anyway, Animal Crossing is a popular series and Isabelle is a popular character whom Nintendo has been pushing a lot as the effective mascot of the Animal Crossing series. Her place is smash is well deserved and it's a Nintendo inclusion that makes me happy. I feel there could have been some more creativity in her move-set (although I've yet to see everything in full detail, so who knows) and I would have preferred Tom Nook, but I'm otherwise pleased with her inclusion.​
Ooops, almost forgot to nominate Yuri:
Nominations: x5 Fatal Frame Protagonist

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I thought I'd go back and see my previous ratings for Isabella

Isabelle
Chance 55%
She's become quite prominent since her introduction, I could definitely see it happening
Want 75%
I use to dislike her but she's grown on me

Isabelle
Chance 25%
Let me start by saying ISABELLE WOULD NOT BE AN ECHO. She could be a clone but not an echo. Echo share skeletons with their original counterpart, and most move animations too. Isabelle is too tall to do this with Villager. However she is still an incredibly prominent Animal Crossing character. But space is limited and she doesn't exactly scream moveset potential
Want:60%
Sure. As I said, she's very prominent so she's more than earned it in my books, but I'd rather others first

I said previously I wouldn't go above 75% for any newcomers

Isabelle is the exception
Chance 85%
Isabelle is the unique position that I think they will definitely try and get in the game, she's pretty much the Mascot of the series at this point, she's everywhere, EVEN Mario Kart, AND I think she could get away with being either unique or echo easily.
Want 60%
She makes sense to me, and I like characters who make sense.

Consistency is my strong point don't you think?

Can't believe I voted so low for Isabelle in that middle one, still I think that came at a time I was being cautious with everyone that 25 was high for me.

But wow
"ISABELLE WOULD NOT BE AN ECHO."
"AND I think she could get away with being either unique or echo easily."

:/

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
Isabelle satisfaction-60%
Animal crossing new leaf is probably my most played game ever. When I was younger I literally could not put it down. Even though Isabelle isn’t as exciting as the rest of the newcomers, she represents animal crossing more than the villager does at this point. I’m fine with her inclusion. The real highlight of the direct for me was the animal crossing 2019 announcement.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Isabelle satosfaction: 90%
Would have been okay if she was an echo, or a unique newcomer. Like I said on her chance rating day, I am all for more Animal Crossing content. It's that tthey decided to make her not an echo, but still reused some of Villagers moves anyways, that leaves me just a little miffed. But it's not a big deal. I still prefer Villager, but I'm happy Animal Crossing gets 2 characters.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Isabelle Satisfaction: 75%
Not going to hide the fact I was hoping it'd be someone like Isaac or another one of my most wanted, but when it showed Isabelle I thought it'd be Animal Crossing for Switch, which was conveniently revealed the next minute. I wasn't exactly sure initially since I thought she looked like an Echo Fighter and I was thinking, "Wait, are they really hyping her this much if she's an Echo...?" Then I saw more of her attacks and when I finally checked her out on the site proper, I was a bit more okay with it since she was more like a Wolf or Roy styled semi-clone; they share some attacks, but have enough between them to warrant a unique inclusion.

A little disappointed at first since Isabelle wasn't exactly a character I was wanting heavily, but I warmed pretty quickly to her inclusion after seeing her in action. Probably would play her over Villager for sure.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Isabelle
Satisfaction: 99%
Can't believe I dropped her chances from 70% to 25%.

This was the ideal time, if not the perfect time, to reveal Isabelle. With Ridley and K. Rool out of the way, Isabelle doesn't upset as many people looking for their favorites to get in, while also avoiding a late reveal that'd disappoint far more people hoping for their favorite to take the last few spots instead. Coupling her with the Animal Crossing announcement, however, is nothing less than a masterstroke of a double-whammy that fully satisfies the massive, starving Animal Crossing community, which'd generate far more publicity for both than either of those announcements could've done on their own.

I've said before that Isabelle is more appreciated as a popular character than she's requested as a Smash newcomer, but people have easily forgotten how much of a push she had prior to the E3 Direct. She's a good reminder that the logic that got Inkling into Smash is still in strong effect, one that'll probably damper the more outrageous expectations that suddenly popped up in K. Rool's wake. Backlash in that case is inevitable, but that's another benefit of tying the two announcements together - you could be mad that Isabelle was the revealed newcomer, but you can't really criticize AC finally showing up, especially when its community had waited this long and endured more than enough Smash-related final announcements to get to this point.

In terms of moveset, her being a semiclone was the best way of realistically getting her in, so I'm happy they took this route with her. While I'm pretty happy with how Villager plays, I expect she'll end up very different without some of his tools. The best part might be that she'll join the group of characers you'd pick when you want to assert dominance in a casual party, like Jigglypuff and Wii Fit Trainer.

Only point being lost is that it's a shame that her trailer didn't continue the crossover fun like all the other trailers had, and that the cut to Tom Nook gave the impression that he'd be an echo. On an unrelated note, I also dislike that Verge spoiled what could've been a complete surprise instead of a half-speculated one, but it's not like I remembered what he'd said during the whole Direct. I just hope he might choose to let the last surprises come out on their own terms.

Nominations
Guzma x5

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
:ultisabelle:
Satisfaction: 65%

What a surprise! Isabelle is in!

As obvious of an addition as she was, it is actually surprising that she's a Lucas-level semi-clone instead of an echo. Also, the moves she has that are different do look quite interesting themselves.

While she was never one of my most wanted, she is incredibly deserving and fits well with the cast. I can't wait to see her fighting Ridley like it's the most normal thing in the world.

I also have my headcanon that she has a secret dark side that puts axe-wielding Villager to shame, so I need a picture of her reaping souls with that scythe immediately.

Nom: Dovahkiin x5

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Having Isabelle in some more octane trailer was not a possibility, and leaving the face of Animal Crossing without a trailer when she is not an echo is also a thing they would not have done. While I am a tad disappointed, I still like and understand the way they went with in the trailer.
The trailer did fit in the style of AC, but fro a fighter game meh.

Good troll though

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
Isabelle
Ithought the direct was ok but really disapointed in the Smash reveal. As soon as I saw her walking I knew it was her and it just felt so dragged out. I am not a big fan of animal crossing so that whole ending segment was just so boring to me glad for her fans and not a big shock but just wish that they gave us something else with her reveal to.
50%

nominating rick coo and kine x5

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I got my computer back, so I'll be able to put fancy colors on my scores again.

Isabelle satisfaction: 63%
Not a character I'm particularly attached to, and the trailer wasn't super hype (at the same time good luck to make a trailer that's as epic as those we already got for an AC character), but I respect her as a Nintendo All-Star whose inclusion as a Smash fighter makes sense.
I honestly don't have much too say about Isabelle herself, but her reveal has implications about the future of Smash Ultimate reveals. I assumed that any character who could be included as an Echo would be included as such, including Isabelle, however we now have the confirmation that Lucas-like semi-clones still have the potential to come in. It first suggests that the philosophy of reusing assets to introduce as many characters as possible despite the "Everyone is here!" feature is not only part of why Echo fighters are endorsed but will also likely affect original newcomers to an extent, so popular characters getting in as semi-clones makes sense in this regard. So it gives hope for Dixie Kong as a regular newcomer who's a Diddy semi-clone which would be perfect.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally, I am pretty satisfied. It was not the Public Works Projects moveset I expected, but a semi-clone will definitely do over an echo.

The dream to play as a cute girl fighter with a cute personality has finally come true, I am very happy!

-------------

x5 Hanafuda character

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I dunno why people keep calling her a clone.

Calling her a clone feels like calling Ike a clone

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
50%
She's wholesome and cute and her moveset doesn't look forced. A pretty inoffensive inclusion.
I'm not to keen on AC anymore unfortunatley. I dropped new leaf after a few months and haven't returned since. I've concluded the real time style of the games just isn't my thing and I'm hoping whatever they do for AC on Switch could fix that.
Also a bit worried for Bandana Dee now, since he does the exact same thing in TD/PR as Isabelle does as an Assist in Sm4sh, throwing food around. Hoping he won't be a replacement for that role.

The prince (Katamari) x5

Last edited:

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
I dunno why people keep calling her a clone.

Calling her a clone feels like calling Ike a clone
Have you seen her video on the website? She shares a replica of the pocket move, the ballon move, AND the Gyroid functions similar to the tree. She also shares grabbing via a net and the final smash of villager, the "trip to drop stuff" dash attack, and a painfuly large number of moves share animations, of what we've seen. Most are calling her a semi-clone, in a way similar to Lucas and Wolf, which feels fair to me.

As for me...

Isabelle satisfaction - 48.5% - "She can't get in as an echo fighter!" They cried. Well, she's a semi-clone. A rather meh trailer didn't really sell me on her inclusion, and the fact that she appears as a semi-clone doesn't sell me on how little there was to add to another Animal Crossing fighter. As someone who wan't keen on her inclusion before, while I can understand how important she was in beforehand, ultimately I'm unpressed.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Have you seen her video on the website? She shares a replica of the pocket move, the ballon move, AND the Gyroid functions similar to the tree. She also shares grabbing via a net and the final smash of villager, the "trip to drop stuff" dash attack, and a painfuly large number of moves share animations, of what we've seen. Most are calling her a semi-clone, in a way similar to Lucas and Wolf, which feels fair to me
The only notable ones are pocket, trip and grab (which we haven't seen all of)

The Balloon from what I've seen functions different. Although hard to tell, definitely doesn't look it's behave like Balloon Trip

The Lloyd is way more like Snakes mine than Villagers tree.

And Final Smash is just a final smash. We've had characters who aren't copies of each other share before.

Most of her moves are different, not only different, but drastically so.

It just feels like calling her a clone would be like calling Ike a clone

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle
Satisfaction: 100%

I myself enjoyed the Direct overall, and Isabelle was the perfect way to end it for me. The moment when the splash popped up could have been better, and I thought Tom Nook was coming along for the ride, but I'm pretty happy with the trailer, all things considered.

1. I love Villager and playing as Villager, and I think Villager has one of the most fun movesets overall. So I'm already looking to Isabelle just from that.
2. Of course, she seems to have different moves than the Villager while keeping some specials like the awesome Pocket, so I glad that she's basically unique.
3. We get a cute female fighter who isn't an echo or someone who shares a slot. And for a lot of people she wasn't expected, so that's a plus.

Overall, looking forward to playing her

Nominations
Terry Bogard x 5

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The only notable ones are pocket, trip and grab (which we haven't seen all of)

The Balloon from what I've seen functions different. Although hard to tell, definitely doesn't look it's behave like Balloon Trip

The Lloyd is way more like Snakes mine than Villagers tree.

And Final Smash is just a final smash. We've had characters who aren't copies of each other share before.

Most of her moves are different, not only different, but drastically so.

It just feels like calling her a clone would be like calling Ike a clone
Without actually playing her, it’ll be tough to say for certain. There’s a lot of her kit we don’t know yet.

There are different levels of clones as well. A user on the Smash Wiki showed several variations based on shared animations/movesets to see different levels of clone. Based on this data, characters like Ike share only about 7% with Marth, while Lucas shares around 40% with Ness.

I’d say Isabelle looks closer to the Lucas level semi-clone than an Ike level who shares nothing but a counter with Marth. Isabelle has been shown to have the same grab game, the same neutral special, the same final smash with a different building, similar animations for up and down tilts (but with different objects), the same concept for her recovery but with a different look, and her down special animation is similar to villager’s first down special animation (planting the seed). However, her full dspecial is different, her side special is totally new, and all of her smashes are new. We’d need to see the rest of her kit to decide, but I’d put her at Lucas level right now.

I’ve noticed something about all of the semi-clones:
People who don’t really care for either the parent or the child will generally write both of as being “ugh, totally a clone!” despite how wrong it is. People who play them more will notice the individual differences, but anyone fully competent with one will be reasonabl competent with the other. But mains of either the parent or child will be very particular about the minutia, and may even overstate the differences.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Isabelle satisfaction: 10%

I am not against Isabelle being in the game. However I started thinking, why isn't she an echo? Why is it that Dark Samus, someone with tons of moveset potential is an echo but Isabelle, someone with no inherent moveset gets to be a Lucas level semi-clone? Isabelle has no moves to draw from and all the moves we've seen are just random Animal Crossing stuff. So why not just make her an echo?

It's kind of annoying. Especially when you consider the fact that there's probably only going to be only a few more unique fighters left. 3 at the most. The window of new fighters is really small this time, and for them to put so much time and effort on a character who really didn't need it is just baffling.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
50%

I have no strong feelings one way or the other. I'm sure Animal Crossing fans are loving this but I'm not one of them. I am a little disappointed that she is essentially a semi clone, like I don't really get her having pocket.

Also her trailer was boring. No one died, there was no jokes like Dedede's trolling or the Kong's window breaking eye pop, and the music wasn't exciting at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Without actually playing her, it’ll be tough to say for certain. There’s a lot of her kit we don’t know yet.

There are different levels of clones as well. A user on the Smash Wiki showed several variations based on shared animations/movesets to see different levels of clone. Based on this data, characters like Ike share only about 7% with Marth, while Lucas shares around 40% with Ness.

I’d say Isabelle looks closer to the Lucas level semi-clone than an Ike level who shares nothing but a counter with Marth. Isabelle has been shown to have the same grab game, the same neutral special, the same final smash with a different building, similar animations for up and down tilts (but with different objects), the same concept for her recovery but with a different look, and her down special animation is similar to villager’s first down special animation (planting the seed). However, her full dspecial is different, her side special is totally new, and all of her smashes are new. We’d need to see the rest of her kit to decide, but I’d put her at Lucas level right now.

I’ve noticed something about all of the semi-clones:
People who don’t really care for either the parent or the child will generally write both of as being “ugh, totally a clone!” despite how wrong it is. People who play them more will notice the individual differences, but anyone fully competent with one will be reasonabl competent with the other. But mains of either the parent or child will be very particular about the minutia, and may even overstate the differences.
Funny. Smash 64's Kirby and Jigglypuff are more similar to each other than Smash 4 Mario and Luigi. And in Brawl, Lucas was more unique from Ness than in Smash 4. Curious how this will be when Ultimate launches with all the Echoes.

Anyway, my own satisfaction rating for Isabella would be around.. 20%.

I don't care for the character or her franchise in the slighest. But it seems that with extremely popular characters, they are willing to do semi-clones yet again. And that bodes real well overall for 2 of my other most wanted, Impa and Dixie Kong.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Literally everyone expected nothing more than an Echo out of her, but once again Sakurai and Co broke expectations! So happy that Semi-Clones are alive and well; Echo Fighters and completely Unique aren't the only newcomers we'll get. Speculation just got a whole lot less black and white.

The trailer was lame though, next to no hype. HOWEVER, I welcome Isabelle with open arms.

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Isabelle Satisfaction: 100%

She certainly has earned her spot and it's good to see that all of Nintendo's A-List, sans Toad, are here. I'm even more glad that she isn't an echo, as the vast majority expected her to mildly change from Villager's kit and call it a day. Now we know that Semi-Clones are still a thing and that Echos aren't as obvious as previously expected. It's also good to see a series as big as Animal Cross not be stuck with only one fighter.

Overall, she looks to be a lot of fun to play as. I especially like the Gyroid Rocket trap and fishing rod grapple. It'll be a blast to see her tear apart big, menacing foes like Ridley also.

Plus, getting confirmation for Animal Crossing for the Switch is great also. I can't wait to play that too.

Last edited:

Freecs

Smash Cadet
24%

Honestly, if it were anyone other than Isabelle (or Shadow) I would have been hyped as hell because other than Skull Kid, I genuinely had no idea which character could possibly be announced. A disturbing amount of people have high expectations for Geno, Isaac, and a few others even though there’s simply not enough indication that they are the highest picks on Nintendo’s radar, so from my point of view, there were so many equally likely characters that I was completely clueless about who they would actually reveal. However, in retrospect, I realized that Isabelle was by far the safest possible choice due to Animal Crossing’s popularity and the fact they wanted to bring attention to the next game in the series. That is why I was so underwhelmed by her reveal. She was so clearly the most predictable choice even though I wanted to deny it.

That being said, her fishing rod move is pretty hype. That alone brought my score up about 20%.

Klimax

Smash Ace
When I saw her trailer: 0%
I was tired, I expected a ballot newcomer and since I didn't play any Animal Crossing because I don't really like these games, it was a massive disappointment to me. Also, because everyone was like "she's an echo, no doubt about it", I was pissed because she was getting in as a unique fighter. Also, her trailer was boring.

BUT now: 70%
Sometimes, you just need to have a good night to appreciate things. At the end of the day, she's a Nintendo All-Stars, that's a fact. She looks fun and her inclusion is really cool for her fans. Now, I think I'll play her. I was just tired and my appreciation of the character was ruined by many things (everyone saying she was getting in as an echo, her lame trailer, the fact that I'm not an Animal Crossing fan, the fact that I was tired and expecting a ballot character for a general direct). But now, I'm more than okay with her, I'm happy to see Isabelle getting in.

But in my opinion, her trailer didn't help her at all. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been so disappointed if they gave her a cool trailer.
Anyway, congratulations to Isabelle and her fans ! ;)

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman
Satisfaction:
20%

I mean I'm happy for her fans, but this wasn't a character that I looked forward to. In addition, she's a semi-clone. I would have liked her more as an echo fighter, because branding her as a full character leaves a bad taste in my mouth. She deserved her slot, so I'll live with it. Just not who I was hoping for.

Well, no new stages were revealed, which confirms my belief in this theory.
No more stages x5

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Satisfaction: 100%

Isabelle claimed her rightful place in Smash, being (in my eyes) the only true lock alongside the Inklings. She is more of a Nintendo All-Star than most of the current cast, never mind just the newcomers, and I felt immensely satisfied upon seeing her in. I also felt hella vindicated that she wasn't an echo.

I say this as the biggest Chrom fan around: Isabelle deserved so much more than being a simple echo. She's a headliner through and through, and will prove to be one of the quintessential Ultimate newcomers in the coming years.

Her animations are also adorable. The only minor complaint I have is that she didn't seem to reference her use of ordinances or creation of Public Works Projects within her moveset, but that is totally made up for with her side special: a Fishing Pole command grab. That single move made me really excited to try her out.

Reinhardt trophy x5

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
Isabelle Satisfaction - 80%

She's a star and deserves it. She's cute and got in as clone instead of a echo, good for her. I wasn't really rooting for or against her, but she gets +20% for causing fans to go rabid for a night. Even the direct chat had people fussing and asking why her and not someone else. What's funny is many expected her, but it wasn't their favorite getting shown off so it's like the worse thing ever!!! At least they should be cooling off by now.

Noms 5x Gardevoir

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'll be frank. I went into the Direct expecting one of a handful of newcomers. Isabelle wasn't one of them. I was certainly expecting her to get in at this point, but I hadn't really anticipated her being more than an echo. So it's always a little disorienting to have something throw a wrench in what you expected.

But dang did I warm up to her quickly.

She's just so cute how can you hate her.

It's funny how far this little pup has come. At this point it only makes sense for her to be on the roster, and I'm interested in seeing what all she brings to the table.

If I were to rate her immediately after the Direct, I'd probably rate her around 60-70%. Now I'm tempted to go with 90%, but...

That dance.

Fine. 100% satisfaction for being the cutest thing ever. Can't wait to play as her.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
OVERALL SATISFACTION RATING: 75%

Though I was expecting Isaac or Skull Kid for this direct, Isabelle was another one I was expecting to come soon. And thank god she isn't another echo character (BECAUSE ECHO FIGHTERS ARE LAME AND DUMB!!!) The semiclone treatment felt right here. I like semiclones because they offer an alternate play style to another fighter than flat out being a copy-paste of another fighter. Sakurai was creative with the moveset. She plays somewhat like Villager but she has some unique traits. I really like her fishing pole and her Gyroid rocket. The trailer was somewhat of a letdown, and it kind of dragged on a bit though. I don't play Villager at all, but I might pick up Isabelle after unlocking her to troll my friends.

(Also no deaths were reported in her trailer)

Nominations: Xurkitree x5
IT WILL INVADE SOON... Eventually... hopefully... (probably not)
Still go support Ya Boi for Smash

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wanted Isabelle in Smash but if I'm being honest the trailer killed a lot of my hype. I mean how would you make a epic/hype trailer for a character like Isabelle? I mean it was no Ridley or K.Rool trailer. It's definitely the weakest of the bunch (looking back Inklings reveal was weak too but only because they were announced alongside the game). I'm glad she's here but man that trailer dragged and was boring.

Speculator

Smash Ace
75%

Perfectly satisfied. She's a very sensible inclusion from a popular franchise. I'm a little ashamed actually since before her reveal I honestly hadn't given her much thought; in my mind Villager brought to the table pretty much everything Animal Crossing had to offer, so it was a pleasant surprise to find that she even has a unique moveset.

It's hard for me to be disappointed. As far as I'm concerned, everyone who needed to be in Smash made it in as of SSB4 - anyone joining at this point is icing on the cake. There's nobody I have particularly strong support for, so I don't have the same feeling of losing out that others might. Ultimately though, this is the kind of character we should come to expect when they're adding to a roster that already numbers more than 60 - 'second' or 'third' tier characters from big name franchises. My expectations for a Zelda newcomer have been raised somewhat.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I forget what I rated her but I think it was a mid-high and want was low only because her move set proposals seem more fan gamey to me and not refined when discussing her being unique. I was ok and more accepting as her being an echo. Though I'm glad they made her fit into her personality and not revolved around terraforming/ infrastructure which just sounds really awful. Good thing the trailer changed my mind.

Satisfied 80%
Wanted to see a bit more and could have used more tag teaming with Villager

Nomination Django x5

Last edited:

Smasher 101

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0877-3649-6314
Switch FC
SW-7628-2111-0913

So this was my least favorite unique character reveal so far...which is saying little because every normal character thus far is someone I really wanted :p

Nice to finally have her out of the way since I've been saying from the start she's in. Personally I'm a fan of Animal Crossing and wanted it to get a new character, and I quite like Isabelle. Plus she's fully a Nintendo all-star at this point, and it wouldn't have felt right to me if she got left out. Beyond that Villager's one of my favorite fighters anyway, so I would have been happy with her even as an echo, which I was expecting at this point. What we got was a pleasant surprise, and she looks like someone I'll definitely use. I was fine with the trailer too, I thought it fit her pretty well. Another great reveal for me overall, and I'm looking forward to using the adorable dog to beat up the likes of Bowser and Ganondorf.

Nominations: Gardevoir x5

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Isabelle 100% Satisfaction

Pretty much excited how she turned out. Most people expected her to be Villager's Echo Fighter. Sure she shared some similarities with Villager, but there's too many differences between them that she became her own character. It gives me hope that characters like Dixie, Celica, and Malos won't be a 1:1 copy of Diddy, Robin, and Shulk respectively with one minor difference. It's also pretty hilarious to Isabelle paired right after the likes of Ridley, the Belmonts, and K. Rool. I look forward to recreating that comic of Ridley using his final smash on Isabelle.

Last edited:

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
With :ultkrool: and :ultridley: in, everything else is a bonus.
As for Isabelle, she seems like she'll be fun to play as, especially since I like to play as Villager. The trailer was kinda boring, and I wish we got more announcements, but that doesn't have much to do with Isabelle herself.

Top Bottom