• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
May as well put my feelings here.

Terry Bogard-
No attachment whatsoever to Fatal Fury, I really couldn't care less about his inclusion.

That said, his trailer was hilarious, and he looks really good. Unlike Hero, he actually looks great aesthetically and fits the art style of smash super well. I can't wait to see more of him.

I already pretty much suspected this, but it seems like the first fighter pass is entirely going to be "Sakurai Picks." The 5th fighter is going to be a character Sakurai really likes. I hope it's Geno, but it could be anyone.

More DLC-
My reaction to this was a resounding, "Yeah I know." I'm just waiting for them to formally announce the second (and third?) fighter pass when it comes around to that. I still expect the second pass to be first party characters, or at least characters from series already in.

For those who aren't aware, the datamines have pointed to a total of 16 DLC fighters for a while now. So we're likely to get 2 more Fighter Passes, judging by the multiple of five when you exclude Plant.

Also a reminder, the "new worlds" comment was apparently a mistranslation, they didn't mean to imply they'd be new IPs to Smash at all. First party characters are 100% on the table.

Banjo-
He looks awesome, and he's really fun to play as. The "update drops today!" was the highlight of the direct for me.

Mii Fighters-
All of the new costumes are great. I'm a little surprised we didn't get any Rare costumes, but ah well. Sans coming with music is god tier, and his costume looks really good. I didn't buy the swordfighter costumes because I never play swordfighter, but Goemon looks awesome. The Team Rocket outfit is my new go-to brawler costume for sure.

Home Run Contest-
HELL ****ING YES. GOD I AM SO HAPPY. I WANTED THIS SO BADLY I NEEDED IT. I AM ECSTATIC. THANK THE LORD.

Animal Crossing-
My hype for this game continues to rise. This game looks GORGEOUS. I would've bought it no matter what, because I love the series, but I'm very glad they're making it better and better. Also that girl villager with the pink hair they used to show off some new features was really cute. Just reminding me of how much more easily we can customize our looks... Heck yeah.

Town-
I don't care about this game at all, and I will not buy it, but Toby Fox composing the OST came out of nowhere and is really cool. I just wish GameFreak would put more effort into Pokemon instead...

Pokemon-
Sigh. They're gonna make me buy this game even though I hate all the choices they're making. I am addicted to pokemon.
I LOVE that new bird, and his ability is hilarious. I'm using one on my team, 100%.

SNES Online-
KIRBY'S DREAM COURSE. ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. WITH FRIENDS. HELL. ****ING. YES. THIS IS THE GREATEST ANNOUNCEMENT NINTENDO HAS EVER MADE IN THE HISTORY OF ANNOUNCEMENTS. Kinda disappointed by the lack of SMRPG/Earthbound/Kirby Super Star, but I'm sure they'll be added later- and it's not like I haven't played them before. I'm excited to replay KDL3, too. I might try to play that game 2-player for the first time, since it has online.

Everything else-
Tetris 99 stuff looks great, the Kirby free-to-start game seems neat but my friend said it's way too expensive and money-grubbing on the 3DS version so I'm skeptical, everything else I didn't care enough about to remember or bother commenting on.

Overall, a fantastic direct. I'm very excited. Especially since Bandana Dee is definitely going to be the first character in the second fighter pass 100% guaranteed.

Grass Type Starter x5

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Let's get this done.

Banjo and Kazooie are Raring to shadowdrop! - I spent a lot of time playing them. I don't think I even need to say what having a character I liked for 11~12 years join the fray means to me. Their playstyle is clean, the remixes and extra content are great, everything is beautiful, down to the little nods in the way the bear and bird move. Really satisfied with their pack.

Terry - I'm hyped as ****. He looks g o o d. The trailer, as always, felt like a big love letter to the franchise (and in this case, also the company) that the character comes from. One of the best touches was the signature on the letter. These people love what they are doing. Of course, no gameplay means I don't get to say much else, but November is pretty soon, really. Maybe they just ran into trouble at the beginning of the Pass and now things are sailing more smoothly.

More DLC - I'm very, very excited about this... especially because speculation might turn on its head. If Spirits, Assists and Mii Costumes deconfirm here, plus the pass shaping up to be full third-party, there is no telling what we'll get after. Speculation will become the wild west all over again. I have no idea what crazy **** Sakurai has in store for us, I just hope he rests a little between the Pass and the next wave, really.

HRC - Personally, not my cup of tea, I'd rather have Boss Rush or Smash Run, but I'm happy for the people who wanted it. HRC was datamined some time ago, so it was no surprise to me, really.

Mii Costumes - Bummed that there was no Rare costume of any kind, but the ones we got are very cool, including... Sans. I'm really gonna be that guy here aren't I?

The reason I was actually relieved with the costume wasn't just because it looks good and has a music track with it, but also because I'm taking it as a deconfirmation for an Undertale character (Megalovania is listed in "Other", just like the Monster Hunter track for Rathalos). Or, well, at least for this pass. Don't get me wrong, I love Undertale and would love more music in Smash, maybe even an AT or a stage. But a playable character is... not something I think I'd like.

SNES Online - Finally! I've waited for this for a long time! Most of the titles were datamined, I think, but Puyo Puyo was still a nice surprise. There are still some games I wish were there at launch, but the selection is looking quite good for now.

Everything else - In hindsight, without all the Smash stuff, this would have been a really bland Direct for me. It's very hard to hook me up with remakes or remasters if I already have a copy of the original, so Xenoblade X would have been better for me. The third-parties weren't really that strong (and I already have Overwatch for PC, so I don't see a point in buying it again) and Pokémon SwSh, so far, didn't show anything groundbreaking for me.

So in general, I'd say... 90%. Without Smash, it would be around 50%.

Nominations
Arle Nadja x 5

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
More Bosses (95 noms) - With Home-Run Contest being the last mode added it seems all but confirmed that we're not getting a Boss Rush mode. I don't see how more bosses could be added any other way, but if someone brings up some good points I'll keep this.
I'm the guy who brought it into existence, so I will be the one who says that you can take it off. No point in rating it anymore, and I really don't care cause I have Arle to deal with.

By the way, since Undertale content came early, you may want to consider Frisk being in the "at-risk" section alongside Papyrus.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Also a reminder, the "new worlds" comment was apparently a mistranslation, they didn't mean to imply they'd be new IPs to Smash at all. First party characters are 100% on the table.
That's honestly very reassuring to hear.

Though I guess this is still going to end up being a thing that people are going to misquote again and again until DLC reveals prove it otherwise.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
That's honestly very reassuring to hear.

Though I guess this is still going to end up being a thing that people are going to misquote again and again until DLC reveals prove it otherwise.
Remember the Reggie quote? Good times.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
New worlds always implied first party characters. Just, most of them would be Spirits or Assists that got promotions.

The only characters that benefit from it being a mistranslation are ones from repped series either way.

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
New worlds always implied first party characters. Just, most of them would be Spirits or Assists that got promotions.

The only characters that benefit from it being a mistranslation are ones from repped series either way.
Or spirits in the game. Shantae, Geno, ARMs, Rhythm Heaven, etc. The "new worlds" thing being a mistranslation is very important for anyone that is already in the game in some form.

colder_than_ice

Smash Lord
Terry in Smash - I have no attachment to this character at all but I have to admit that that trailer was extremely amusing.
Sans costume - I love that this is easily one of the more convincing looking Mii costumes and that you could easily see this as actually being Sans.
More DLC characters - Obviously I’m happy about this.
Pokémon Sword & Shield: Although this looks amazing, I kind of want to wait to see if they announce a third version before getting this one.
Town - I actually really want this to succeed if it will help Game Freak break out of Pokemon and help Nintendo explore new IPs. That being said, I’m having a hard time being impressed by this one. The idea of fighting monsters with “ideas” definitely has the potential to be creative at least.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore: Nintendo has already sent this game out to its grave once before so we might as well watch it die a second time.
Super Kirby Clash - So it’s basically just boss fights. Not impressed.
Link’s Awakening - Looks fantastic!! I’m getting very strong feelings of nostalgia from this one.
Divinity: Original Sin 2 - I’ve heard many great things about this game and now it’s coming to the Switch. I’ll definitely consider getting it.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Overall, 90%
Banjo and all the new content he's bringing
Sans Mii Costume + Megalovania in Smash is incredible and way out of left field
Those were the good points.

Half of me is turned off by the idea of more DLC fighters, only because I feel Ultimate's weak points are anything but the roster, so I hope that they at least introduce genuinely new mechanics
SNES looks good for fans of those games, but I'm hoping there's future games I'm actually into

I've been playing Animal Crossing for the past few months. New Horizons is straying far from what I liked about the series, but I expected that. It still really stings because Animal Crossing has been one of my favorite franchises for ages
None of the series I'm in got any new announcements

The two good things were really good.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
First time I've posted here in ages, but I may as well post my thoughts on the Direct in brief.
++Terry Bogard in Smash - A bit disappointed that the SNK rep wasn't Nakoruru, but I'm happy for Terry since he's the main mascot for SNK. Looking forward to him becoming playable in November.
++++SANS. The madmen did it. Undertale representation with a Sans Mii costume and a remix of MEGAOVANIA from Toby Fox himself. I couldn't stop laughing at how crazy this timeline has become.
+++More DLC revives the crazy train that is the speculation scene once again. THE RIDE NEVER ENDS! (Isaac for Smash pls as a promoted Assist Trophy)

~I do like the new curry minigame in SwSh, but I'm still not buying on Day 1. Little Town Hero also looks interesting, and it's also impressive that the soundtrack was composed by Toby Fox too. It could be interesting, but Game Freak is stuck in a rock and a hard place, reputation wise.

+New Horizons looks like a lot of fun too, so that should be a good game.
+Luigi's Mansion 3 looks incredible, looking forward to that spooky Halloween this year.
+Link's Awakening looks good, but I don't see myself purchasing it day one. I'm certain it'll be a fun game when I get to it.
+SNES Online games is great - Even a surprise in Super Puyo Puyo being there too!
++++XENOBLAAAAAAAAAADEEEEEE~!!!

All in all, this was one of Nintendo's finest Directs. Lots of great games discussed and some nice surprises here and there too.
90%

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
It was an ok direct, but was far from the best.

Banjo info and release: Honestly, Banjo has been the announced DLC character that has interested me the least. He's not bad, but a bit mundane when it comes who could have gotten in. Still, getting him playable that day was pretty good and he is fun to play. The highlight, for me, is his stage, which is the most fun to play out of all the new ones introduced in Ultimate.

Terry Bogard: He's a cool character and will be fun to see out of his element having to fight on top of flying spaceships and over lava. He's not a character I really wanted but I do appreciate him and so far the Fighters Pass has been 3 for 3 with how fun the characters have been, so I have good faith he'll be available.

Mii Costumes: Glad to see Steve wasn't lumped into a Microsoft costume set, so he's still in the race. Glad to see the Zero and Protoman costumes return and the Goemon and Team Rocket ones are pretty cool to get also. The Sans costume was a surprise, but I feel like a good middle ground for those who do and those who don't want Undertale in the game. I'm especially happy that it came with an extra song and hope future costumes and/or other content will do the same. I'd even be happy to purchase stand alone music packs.

Home Run Contest: Couldn't care less about it. It's a mode I only touch to get trophies, and so without that incentive, I'll probably never use it.

DLC after the Fighters Pass: This is the most exciting news. Since Sakurai said "characters" (as opposed to "character") we can assume we're due to get at least three characters (including Fighter Pack 5). It's great to still have more to look forward to and hopefully the additional picks will deliver much in the way the three we got has done.

Other Games: Most of it was a miss for me. Animal Crossing looks great, but having to wait until March for it is a disappointment. I'm happy to get the free SNES games and will be making good use of that service. Luigi's Mansion 3 looks pretty solid, but not something I'm clamoring to get. Pokemon SS once again disappoints, showing very little new stuff and instead more stuff that has appeared in past games (trainer customization, food making minigames and a mode to play with your Pokemon have all been done before); not to mention the fact that the game will not have every Pokemon transferable to it really takes the wind out of the sails for this one (honestly, I'd trade the bells and whistles announced and Little Town Hero just to get all 800+ Pokemon in the game in a heartbeat). Pretty much all of the Third Party stuff didn't interest me at all; I really don't care the slightest about Overwatch, The Witcher, Deadly Premonition, Trials of Mana or any of the other titles announced. While Xenoblade was a fun game on the Wii, a port of it doesn't really catch my interest at all.

Last edited:

R-senpai

Smash Cadet
It was an ok direct, but was far from the best.

Banjo info and release: Honestly, Banjo has been the announced DLC character that has interested me the least. He's not bad, but a bit mundane when it comes who could have gotten in. Still, getting him playable that day was pretty good and he is fun to play. The highlight, for me, is his stage, which is the most fun to play out of all the new ones introduced in Ultimate.

Terry Bogard: He's a cool character and will be fun to see out of his element having to fight on top of flying spaceships and over lava. He's not a character I really wanted but I do appreciate him and so far the Fighters Pass has been 3 for 3 with how fun the characters have been, so I have good faith he'll be available.

Mii Costumes: Glad to see Steve wasn't lumped into a Microsoft costume set, so he's still in the race. Glad to see the Zero and Protoman costumes return and the Goemon and Team Rocket ones are pretty cool to get also. The Sans costume was a surprise, but I feel like a good middle ground for those who do and those who don't want Undertale in the game. I'm especially happy that it came with an extra song and hope future costumes and/or other content will do the same. I'd even be happy to purchase stand alone music packs.

Home Run Contest: Couldn't care less about it. It's a mode I only touch to get trophies, and so without that incentive, I'll probably never use it.

DLC after the Fighters Pass: This is the most exciting news. Since Sakurai said "characters" (as opposed to "character") we can assume we're due to get at least three characters (including Fighter Pack 5). It's great to still have more to look forward to and hopefully the additional picks will deliver much in the way the three we got has done.

Other Games: Most of it was a miss for me. Animal Crossing looks great, but having to wait until March for it is a disappointment. I'm happy to get the free SNES games and will be making good use of that service. Luigi's Mansion 3 looks pretty solid, but not something I'm clamoring to get. Pokemon SS once again disappoints, showing very little new stuff and instead more stuff that has appeared in past games (trainer customization, food making minigames and a mode to play with your Pokemon have all been done before); not to mention the fact that the game will not have every Pokemon transferable to it really takes the wind out of the sails for this one (honestly, I'd trade the bells and whistles announced and Little Town Hero just to get all 800+ Pokemon in the game in a heartbeat). Pretty much all of the Third Party stuff didn't interest me at all; I really don't care the slightest about Overwatch, The Witcher, Deadly Premonition, Trials of Mana or any of the other titles announced. While Xenoblade was a fun game on the Wii, a port of it doesn't really catch my interest at all.
Was a great direct for me. Possibly the best of all time, all simply because of Xenoblade

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
Was a great direct for me. Possibly the best of all time, all simply because of Xenoblade
That's cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Overall, outside of Smash and a couple announcements, it was rather meh to me.

Xenoblade is a good game though, but I really don't want to have to buy it again.

Last edited:

R-senpai

Smash Cadet
That's cool, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Overall, outside of Smash and a couple announcements, it was rather meh to me.

Xenoblade is a good game though, but I really don't want to have to buy it again.
Personally I think you should, they're not just redoing graphics and stuff, but adding several cut content from the OG game

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Red Hot Excitement right here:

Luigi's Mansion 3 continues to look like a must have for me.

Deadly Premonition 2 and 1 on Switch. Only know it from the memes but I really want to experience this for myself now! If only I hadn't spent my monthly gaming budget already on Spyro and Astral Chain...

Terry's trailer was great. I felt so bad for all the poor Kyo, Iori and Nakoruru fans watching as they failed to get into Smash...relatable feels as a Toad fan, and Chrom fan in the last game...surprised we didn't see Mai at all...maybe a Mii outfit?

Banjo Shadowdrop. Looks fun. Not bought them yet but I may shell out for the bear and breegull before we find out Fighter 5...probably not though.

SANS mii fighter costume. I really wish ALL other character costumes had come with modelled heads at least. Man, that'd have made the Toad and Dixie Kong Mii fighter hats a thousand times better...

SNES Online. FINALLY. Maybe Online will start being a little more worth it...

Return of the Obra Dinn looks pretty amazing. I really want this one.

Mixed heat feels here:

MORE SMASH DLC. This would have been top of the red hot section but...if it's just more third parties that automatically rules out Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, a Zelda newcomer and anyone else who would be the purest hype for me. Sorry but exclusively third party sets aren't really doing it for me.

Pokemon Sword and Shield are slowly making me want to buy them. I'm still not happy about possibly not being able to explore my homeland region with my favourite Pokemon, but between Obstagoon, the absolutely incredibly punny name of Polteageist and the Camp stuff I may just have to pick it up anyway and finally return to the franchise after skipping Sun and Moon and the Gen 3 remakes.

Game Freak's other offering looks alright too. I would have preferred more details on it but it's fine.

Animal Crossing...looks like the same game again honestly. I always enjoy playing them but I don't really see what the difference between this desert island and a regular village/town is as everything seems the same still? Neat about 4 and 8 player though. That alone may be worth it.

Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm not a huge RPG fan but I did try to pick up X for the Wii U. Was addicted for a week but then kind of put it down and forgot about it. Not sure if I'm really feeling this or not.

Link's Awakening is odd. I change my mind almost weekly on if I want it or not.

RPG remakes. I don't care.

Close the door, it's frigging freezing in here:

That weird Free to start(?) Kirby game. Just Kirby. Star Allies introduced me to a plethora of great Kirby characters so going back to everyone being Kirby is kinda lame. Let me play as Gooey or Dee, dammit!
Also "Free to START" sounds like a trap and I'm not willing to jump into this one.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions Encore. Hey, are you a fan of Fire Emblem? No? This game's cameos will do nothing for you. You are a fan of Fire Emblem? We'll entice you with beloved characters recieving tone death redesigns that seem to go against the point of the character. **** me look at Chrom, one of the nicest characters in the series. Here he's redesigned to look like a demonic assassin going through an emo phase with glowing blue eyes and and barely a single thing that makes you think "Oh hey, it's Chrom".

Overwatch...I feel like I should give it a go as a huge Team Fortress 2 fan, but I'm not sure I want to plunge into all that microtransaction nonsense. Also nearly everyone has played this already and it has huge install bases on every other platform so I have my doubts this will be a port with many users. Nearly everyone probably has their preferred accounts on other consoles by now and a game like Overwatch is only as good as it's install base.

Home Run Contest. Okay, Home run has always been one of the modes least enjoyed by myself. I'd trade this for Boss Rush or Smash Run in a heartbeat...actually depressing Sakurai bothers with these stadium mini games when they're only going to be ignored after playing it once anyway. Pointless.

Another Mario and Sonic at the Olympics. It's weird. I love Mario. I love Sonic. I love the cast. But when you've played one of these it feels like you've played them all. Some new events look kinda neat, but I'm not really that into the retro graphics events thing when I found out it severely limits who you can play as. Hope you like playing as Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman only or you're **** out of luck.
Mario Maker 2 added both Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World sprites for Toad and Toadette, SEGA really couldn't have created some sprites for the rest of the Olympians? If you want to shout out about your new feature, it probably shouldn't have such a ridiculously over the top drawback.

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I mean the best part of the Terry trailer was when Geese fell off the tower. That still makes me laugh.

Troykv

Smash Master
That was a very solid Direct! Tons of annoucements, many of them were ports and remakes/remasters; but hey, they managed to make me feel hype about #FE Encore xD

Also Terry! That throwback annoucement was hilarious, specially the part with Geese xD You already appeared in a high quality game, don't be a sore loser.

My hope for First Parties was completely restored after the annoucement... I'm so happy <3

----

Nominations?

Micaiah (Fire Emblem) x5

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Man, who'd have thought that Undertale Rep would end up confirmed after all? Even I really didn't, and I'm the guy who nominated it.

Won't really go into detail since it's been two days already, but I thought it was a solid Direct overall, even without Banjo getting shadowdropped on us. Overwatch, Obra Dinn, unexpected sequels and remakes, SNES games, F2P Kirby - it's an all-around goodie package that complements the games we're already getting for the rest of 2019.

Terry showing up in November shuffles the schedule a little, but not as much as the promise of even more DLC fighters. While appreciate that there's more chances left than we though we had, I can't help but wonder just how much longer this speculation era is going to last.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Not hugely interested in things other than Smash that were revealed in this Direct (except Link's Awakening, but I knew I'm going to get it anyway). It was nice they explicitely mentioned that there were going to talk about the next Pokémon games before showing any picture or info so I could skip that part (I'm in a Poké Bunker to discover the new generation as spoiler-free as possible which is why you see me so rarely for now). Xenoblade Chronicles on Switch is really nice, although I feel like I've played the Wii version enough to not plan to get it even though I no longer have my Wii U nor my copy of XC. No new Donkey Kong game again, the Kremling rap in Gangplank Galleon's remix is too much of a tease for me to be satisfied only with K. Rool's playable appearance in Smash!

Now fo Smash… I've heard of the rumors prior to the reveal, so when the SNK arcade screen appeared I wasn't surprised. But I'm so unfamiliar with this company or its series that I don't mind it being leaker before as it could make me used to the idea (so my reaction wouldn't be "literally who?" while watching). It's not that I mind having Terry in Smash, it's just that if they wanted to hype me up specifically they would have chosen someone else. On the other hand I like that Smash is squishing the expectations I had in the late Smash 4 DLC era period about third-party characters, it's a way to reject the super strict expectations I had in the Smash 4 area and I'm now honestly ashamed of how much I hated the idea of them being broken. But also there's the fact Terry comes from a fighting game franchise which I suppose has input types different from Smash, so they might repeat the Ryu ann Ken flavor of him having command inputs from Fatal Fury, which would make it hard for me to play with him as I don't know how to use the Street Fighter inputs consistently.

But what made me more hyped… the confirmation of more DLC! It's really nice because I feel like Smash Ultimate should try to inplement characters native to the Nintendo Switch (which is ironic considering back in the Smash 4 era I hated the "muh recency" mindset and now believe it should be embraced). I wondered whether we'd get one because it would cannibalize the Fighter pass, but now there's more room for that, and in fact I would be highly surprised if we don't get a muh recency Switch-native character for DLC outside the fighter pass. In particular I think a playable gen 8 Pokémon is a very likely possibility (although I'm not the person to ask if you want to know who people believe it will be xD). If that's the case it would be nice to also have a playable gen 3 and 5 Pokémon for the sake of having a playable Pokémon from every generation (Plusle as a Pichu echo without self-damage and Minun as an alt + Haxorus as a Charizard semi-clone and Rock Smash back as its down B maybe?) assuming we get a few more characters too as I don't want future non-Fighter Pass DLCs to only be Pokémon.

For the Banjo-Kazzoie presentation, it was nice. The remixes were amazing, Home-Run Contest being back is awesome, and the Sans Mii costume was a nice surprise I knew would put the internet on fire (although I never thought it was extremely unlikely due to how popular Undertale is and that we already got indie content) even though I didn't buy it. And by the time I'm writing this I already got the opportunity to play as BK as well as Home-Run Contest and I'm happy about this new content, although I only had the opportunity to play with this update alone/against CPUs for now.

With more DLC coming beyond the Fighter Pass, I think I might be interested in regularly posting here again, once I've discovered enough about the new generation of Pokémon (which will be about one month after Terry's release I'm guessing).

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Since things have kinda died off today figured this would be the time to ask. Going forward, are we rating the chances of characters showing up as the number 5 in the fighters pass or just their chances as DLC in general?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Since things have kinda died off today figured this would be the time to ask. Going forward, are we rating the chances of characters showing up as the number 5 in the fighters pass or just their chances as DLC in general?
People have always rated characters according to their own standards; some assuming we'd get more after the Fighter Pass, some assuming that the FP would be it.

However now I believe I speak for everyone on the team when I say that yeah, it's probably going to be ratings for DLC in general.

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
Yeah, the direct was pretty cool. So when's the next day starting?

Also, are we allowed to nom today? If so, then Another western character x5

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Yeah, the direct was pretty cool. So when's the next day starting?

Also, are we allowed to nom today? If so, then Another western character x5
Since you sassed me the day lasts until the morning. :p

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
I’m so late, but here we go:

Shadow dropping Banjo & Kazooie on us like that? Madness. Pure, unadulterated madness. Never mind that I’ve been waiting for the past 20 years for these characters to get in, but you’re just going to announce them and them drop them on me like that? C’mon, the rest of the Direct was just gravy.

Obviously, in a very close second place comes the news that we’re getting more DLC after the Fighter’s Pass. That definitely became one of the most hyped Smash announcements I’ve ever experienced, and the speculation continues! Everyone we originally discounted (Shantae, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Geno, etc) are all back in the running and I couldn’t be more excited to see where this goes.

The most important thing to happen during that entire broadcast, of course, wasn’t even in the Direct itself. No, it was during Sakurai’s Banjo video, after he won the match against DK and Diddy and went “Guh-huh” after the victory screen shot. I swear, Candid Sakurai is my favorite version of Sakurai and I can’t wait to see more of him haha.

In terms of speculation, I think we actually learned a lot in this Direct:

I think this current Fighter’s Pass we’re in was tailored to appeal to as global a demographic as possible, and it kind of shows: Hero seemed tailored to Japanese audiences, Banjo & Kazooie for US audiences, and Terry for the Latin American audiences (Joker, I think, acted as the bombshell to got people hyped for the Pass). Remember, Nintendo picked these characters, so it makes sense to assume that there was a financial and business-savvy reason as to why.

If we’re looking for some kind of trend to predict the final DLC fighter in this Pass (which, again, is impossible, but I’ll humor this thread anyway), I think we need to look at what’s popular in China. Meaning, of course, PC gaming: MMOs, MOBAs, hero shooters, etc.

So…y’know, that from that what you will.

The next big thing we learned was that Mii Costumes can be given a lot of tender loving care in the future. We didn’t get a Sans hat in the same vein as Tails or KK Slider. No, we got a Sans head. Sakurai took the Mii Gunner and transformed it into a character, and I really think we’ll see a lot of that moving forward.

Then there’s the whole “Mii Costumes can come with music tracks” thing, which opens up a ton of possibilities, as well.

Then there’s the fact that Sans is an indie character, and his costume blew up the internet just as much as Banjo’s shadow drop did. In terms of sales, I have no doubt that Sans exceeded expectations, and Nintendo will be taking notice. Indie characters are now seen as viable, which is exciting. Characters like Steve, Shantae, Hollow Knight, and Quote all now have much larger chances than originally thought.

Finally, there’s Geno. On one hand, he has almost too much going for him. He still hasn’t had his Smash 4 Mii Costume revealed yet, we know that Sakurai is a personal fan, I have no doubt that Geno ranked fairly high in the Smash ballot oh-so many moons ago, those SMRPG music tracks that were copyright struck on YouTube, Sakurai has stated that Smash Ultimate’s upcoming DLC will be all about pleasing fans…It just seems like Geno’s time to shine should be very quickly approaching.

However, that Sans costume really threw a Mii Gunner-sized wrench into Geno’s chances.

Those SMRPG tracks that got struck? They could be made available with Geno’s Mii Costume. Sans’s character-accurate headpiece could be the route Nintendo takes to make a new, better-looking head for Geno. If Nintendo is seeing how much money the Sans costume is making at 75 cents as opposed to $5.99 for a full fighter, why wouldn’t they just negate Geno to a Gunner costume again? It's honestly just good business at this point.

So I actually think (and fear) that Geno’s chances have gone down quite a bit…Man, I feel so bad for Geno hopefuls haha. This has been such a long, torturous rollercoaster for them.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got, and that’s what I’m sticking with until proven otherwise! Our 5th DLC fighter will be from a prominent PC game, Geno will get an upgraded Mii Costume complete with music tracks, and one of the next DLC fighters will be a fully-fledged indie rep (come on Shantae!!).

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m so late, but here we go:

Shadow dropping Banjo & Kazooie on us like that? Madness. Pure, unadulterated madness. Never mind that I’ve been waiting for the past 20 years for these characters to get in, but you’re just going to announce them and them drop them on me like that? C’mon, the rest of the Direct was just gravy.

Obviously, in a very close second place comes the news that we’re getting more DLC after the Fighter’s Pass. That definitely became one of the most hyped Smash announcements I’ve ever experienced, and the speculation continues! Everyone we originally discounted (Shantae, Bandana Dee, Dixie, Geno, etc) are all back in the running and I couldn’t be more excited to see where this goes.

The most important thing to happen during that entire broadcast, of course, wasn’t even in the Direct itself. No, it was during Sakurai’s Banjo video, after he won the match against DK and Diddy and went “Guh-huh” after the victory screen shot. I swear, Candid Sakurai is my favorite version of Sakurai and I can’t wait to see more of him haha.

In terms of speculation, I think we actually learned a lot in this Direct:

I think this current Fighter’s Pass we’re in was tailored to appeal to as global a demographic as possible, and it kind of shows: Hero seemed tailored to Japanese audiences, Banjo & Kazooie for US audiences, and Terry for the Latin American audiences (Joker, I think, acted as the bombshell to got people hyped for the Pass). Remember, Nintendo picked these characters, so it makes sense to assume that there was a financial and business-savvy reason as to why.

If we’re looking for some kind of trend to predict the final DLC fighter in this Pass (which, again, is impossible, but I’ll humor this thread anyway), I think we need to look at what’s popular in China. Meaning, of course, PC gaming: MMOs, MOBAs, hero shooters, etc.

So…y’know, that from that what you will.

The next big thing we learned was that Mii Costumes can be given a lot of tender loving care in the future. We didn’t get a Sans hat in the same vein as Tails or KK Slider. No, we got a Sans head. Sakurai took the Mii Gunner and transformed it into a character, and I really think we’ll see a lot of that moving forward.

Then there’s the whole “Mii Costumes can come with music tracks” thing, which opens up a ton of possibilities, as well.

Then there’s the fact that Sans is an indie character, and his costume blew up the internet just as much as Banjo’s shadow drop did. In terms of sales, I have no doubt that Sans exceeded expectations, and Nintendo will be taking notice. Indie characters are now seen as viable, which is exciting. Characters like Steve, Shantae, Hollow Knight, and Quote all now have much larger chances than originally thought.

Finally, there’s Geno. On one hand, he has almost too much going for him. He still hasn’t had his Smash 4 Mii Costume revealed yet, we know that Sakurai is a personal fan, I have no doubt that Geno ranked fairly high in the Smash ballot oh-so many moons ago, those SMRPG music tracks that were copyright struck on YouTube, Sakurai has stated that Smash Ultimate’s upcoming DLC will be all about pleasing fans…It just seems like Geno’s time to shine should be very quickly approaching.

However, that Sans costume really threw a Mii Gunner-sized wrench into Geno’s chances.

Those SMRPG tracks that got struck? They could be made available with Geno’s Mii Costume. Sans’s character-accurate headpiece could be the route Nintendo takes to make a new, better-looking head for Geno. If Nintendo is seeing how much money the Sans costume is making at 75 cents as opposed to $5.99 for a full fighter, why wouldn’t they just negate Geno to a Gunner costume again? It's honestly just good business at this point.

So I actually think (and fear) that Geno’s chances have gone down quite a bit…Man, I feel so bad for Geno hopefuls haha. This has been such a long, torturous rollercoaster for them.

Anyway, that’s all I’ve got, and that’s what I’m sticking with until proven otherwise! Our 5th DLC fighter will be from a prominent PC game, Geno will get an upgraded Mii Costume complete with music tracks, and one of the next DLC fighters will be a fully-fledged indie rep (come on Shantae!!).
Can I call that the "Regional Appeal Theory"? I feel like that one would be especially fun to speculate on.

Also, my thought on the Direct. I'm certainly glad we're getting more DLC, as that basically starts speculation anew. Aside from Smash, I'm actually curious about Tokyo Mirage Sessions, as I've seen people are VERY split on that game. Given that Three Houses has made me a Fire Emblem, I'm willing to give it a shot and form my own opinion. I'm also debating on Little Town Hero. I admire Game Freak's efforts to become more than "the guys who make Pokemon", but I may have to wait and see some reviews first. Speaking of Pokemon... Polteageist. I don't know why, but I love it. On a side note, I'm surprised we didn't get more info on Luigi's Mansion 3, given that they specifically mentioned it in the Direct announcement. Yeah, we got some new areas and a brand new mode, but I was honestly expecting them to go into full-on spoiler territory. Lastly, I can FINALLY play the original Xenoblade Chronicles after having only played 2. I can experience what it was I was missing out on in the pre-Operation Rainfall world.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Magikoopa Kamek:

Chance: 10% - Kamek is very iconic and more Mario reps are always in consideration. Though he's mainly known in the Yoshi subseries and aside from the New Super Mario Bros games (where it's implied it's him but isn't named) he isn't given much attention. Furthermore his previous appearence, Yoshi's Woolly World, was three years ago and hasn't recieved a Switch port, along with Crafted World not making much of a splash. So the promotion factor isn't in Kamek's favor. He also isn't too highly requested of a character so it's unknown if he's on Sakurai's radar. Still, he'd have a very unique moveset and a broom-based mage would be something Sakurai would try. Furthermore we got Piranha Plant, so anything is possible at this point!

Want: 50% - I absolutely loved SMW2 Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Island DS, so more representation for Yoshi's subseries is always a plus in my eyes! Plus his moveset would be unique, and he could cause transformations on other characters with his specials, something we have yet to see in game. You can never have too many Mario reps!

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x5

Predictions:
Saber (Fate): 15.27%

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wizenheimer

Chance: 0.1%
Not third party/already a spirit/tons of first party competition. In regards to just the Mario series alone he has a mountain of competition with bigger names like Waluigi and Toad. Even if we were to get another Yoshi rep he'd have to compete with Poochy who Nintendo has been promoting way more.

Want: 0%
No way I'd want to see Kamek make it in over other Mario/Yoshi characters. Waluigi, Toad, and even Poochy are just a few of the characters I'd rather have make it in over Kamek. Just let him keep his role on the SSBU stage.

Saber chance prediction: 11.62%

Nominations:
With Terry confirmed and most of the other SNK characters essentially deconfirmed, I'm not sure who to vote for now...

Eh, I guess I'll throw my noms to Quote (Cave Story) x5

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Dynamic Kamek

Chance: 30%

Incredible how one simple Direct can drastically shift the odds for characters like Kamek. Free from the restraints of the Fighter's Pass, the Magikoopa actually has a fairly decent shot at getting in. Not the highest chances, of course, but we would've said the same thing about a potted Piranha Plant, too. In fact, I could see Nintendo giving Kamek a similar release: free to download for a limited time, isn't part of any DLC pass, doesn't take away from any future fighters. Basically a gift of sorts to players, which is the only way I could see Kamek making it in.

That being said, yeah, he does very much have a chance of getting in. What a world we live in.

Want: 30%

He's certainly not my first (or second or third) Mario pick, but I think Sakurai would latch on to his creative moveset potential. Kamek is a pretty iconic Mario baddie, and it could be cool to have a character who flies around on a broomstick. I could see him being a glass cannon, playing a little bit like a much lighter Bowser Jr, only using spells instead of tech-based weapons (but please, no more "Arcfire!" "PK Fire!" nonsense).

But the real reason I'd be stoked to see Kamek get into the game would be because one of his alt costumes could be Kammy from Paper Mario! And honestly, any Paper Mario references in Smash is cause for celebration from me. And honestly, hey, if we were to get a random free Mario legacy character with a new play style, we could do a lot worse than Kamek.

Abstaining from talking about Saber because I know absolutely nothing about Saber.

EDIT: Ahhh I forgot to nominate a character! Thrall from WoW x5!

Last edited:

PokéfreakofBACON

Smash Ace
NNID
PokefreakofBACON
Switch FC
SW-7469-1948-3865
Kamek

I'm going to do want first this time.

Want: 95%
Kamek is easily in my top 10 most wanted characters for Smash. There is no question in my mind about that. If I could choose who was in the next two fighter passes, Kamek would take one of those spots for sure. Yoshi's Island was actually one of the very first video games I ever played. The only games I played before it were Pokemon FireRed/Emerald, and a few like... non-video game "video games" like plug-n-play stuff. To this day, while it's not my favorite platformer, I remember it fondly. Playing it again on the SNES online has made me so happy.

What do I remember most about Yoshi's Island? The opening cutscene. It's such a perfect way to open a game, and the plot is absolutely perfect with the artstyle and Yoshi in general. Kamek is the main antagonist of Yoshi's Island, and I don't think anyone would disagree with me. While he isn't a boss, every single boss fight in the game is powered up by him directly using his magic. (Except Prince Frog, but same idea really.) Aside from Yoshi himself, there's no better character for representing the game than Kamek. Some might argue Poochy works, but I never really had any attachment to him. (That damn dog is impossible to control.)

Yoshi's Island, while some might say it doesn't deserve to be seperate from the Mario Series in Smash, is one of only two franchises from Smash 64 that, to this day, only has one character. The other franchise is F-Zero, of course. When it comes to Yoshi's Island reps, Kamek is perfect, being really the only option for a villain.

On top of all that, Kamek, being a Magikoopa, and being based around magic, has almost limitless potential for a moveset. Even if you just look at Yoshi's Island you could make a ridiculously cool moveset based around changing his own size, summoning enemies and toadies, firing his signature magic projectiles made of PlayStation buttons, and flying around on a broomstick. If you looked outside of Yoshi's Island, there's also plenty to draw from with the Mario RPG games, taking things from Kammy Koopa, or other miscellaneous appearances for types of magic he could use. We currently don't have a single character in the game that can summon backup characters, at least not really, and the magic department is SEVERELY lacking in general. We have Robin, Hero, Zelda... and that's about it? It's time for a new mage, if you ask me.

Chance: 3%
Unfortunately, I don't see him happening. While I personally would put him in if we got 10 fighters after the fighter pass, I somehow doubt Nintendo and Sakurai feel the same. I personally think 1st party characters are MUCH more likely than 3rd parties now that the fighter pass is (almost) done, but Kamek just doesn't make it anywhere near the top of the list of priorities. He's not really relevant anymore in modern Yoshi games either, as far as I'm aware, so it would have to be a retro pick? Sorta? Except it would be a retro pick that is also part of an establish franchise... There's a lot in his way. 3% is probably pretty optimistic, honestly.

I am The Big Sad. I love that magical boy.

Saber prediction-
Chance- 5.7964%
Want- 3.14158%

Noms:
Any grass starter x5

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Kamek

Chance: 1%

I'm not really holding a lot of stock on him being a playable character in Smash. Despite Piranha Plant existing and the announcement of more DLC characters post-Fighter Pass, there isn't really any sort of thing going for Kamek. Yeah he's a villain, but that's mainly about it.

Want: 5%

I'm not clamoring for Kamek to be playable since I'm not really big on more Mario characters outside of Paper Mario. That's basically all I have to say about him.

Predictions:
Saber - 13%

Noms:
Zhao Yun x5

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Kamechanic

Chance: 1%
We already got a playable Mario mook this game. 'Course, you might point out that Kamek is also an established individual in Yoshi's Island, but that's really stretching it. As far as Mario, or even Yoshi as a series goes, I just think that there are many, many other characters that have higher priority than him.

Want: 0%
Sorry, but nope. If we're gonna have a generic spellcaster kinda character, I just don't see why that should be a Mario mook.

Predictions: Saber at 8.92%

Nominating Amaterasu x10, since I got those extra noms for coming closest in a recent prediction.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Can I call that the "Regional Appeal Theory"? I feel like that one would be especially fun to speculate on.
I approve! I really think people should start at least considering what Nintendo's trying to do on a global business/expansion level using Smash as the platform, y'know?

Top Bottom