• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate Their Chances - Smash Ultimate Edition! Day 672: Five Most Likely First and Third Parties for Smash 6, and Final Goodbyes

DaUsername

Smash Ace
NNID
DaUsername
Switch FC
SW-1418-0536-1998
The only animated trophy in Smash Bros. history
Chance: 0.1%
Sadly, I don't see this happening. The franchise is dead and the fanbase is almost nonexistent. We'd hae to get through a lot of Nintendo characters before this guy shows up.
Want: N/A
I am one of the many people who haven't played this game, so I can't give a fair rating here.

Rockstar prediction: 4%
Noms: Another western character x8 (Or however many will get me into the top 7.)

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Seems Sketchy

Chance: 10%
Hotel Dusk...happened, as far as the grand scheme of video games is concerned. It's one of a few DS exclusives that probably shows up in Best Underappreciated Exclusives lists, but it wasn't ever something big enough to sway system sales. Most people probably only know it because of that cool animated trophy back in Brawl.

The studio that developed his games has long since gone bankrupt, though (with the staff migrating to...ArcSystem?), and the games never saw a future past the DS/Wii era. Chibi-Robo's failed to get into Smash for much more than that.

Want: 15%
Hey, if it's a good visual novel, then that's fine and dandy, but "typical hard-boiled detective" is a hard sell for a platform fighter. There's lots of other aspiring Japanese pseudo-VNs out there too, some of them arguably better than Hotel Dusk - why should Kyle Hyde deserve it over everyone else, exactly?

Nominations
Thrall x5

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Kyle Hyde

Chance: 5%
Want: 10%

Let's get chance out of the way, it's a Nintendo IP, from a genre that would definitely be tricky to translate. And I think the pass is going to be almost entirely third party characters. And Cing have been out of business for a decade, and Nintendo (sadly) haven't been going for the audience that were in those early DS games with titles like Brain Age, Another Code and Hotel Dusk.

I almost got Hotel Dusk several times because it's exactly the kind of thing that I adore. Adventure games are sadly in short supply in recent years and Nintendo handhelds would have been perfect for a resurgence but sadly didn't really hit. But yeah, whilst I'm sure I'd love Hotel Dusk if I played it (and I want to!) it suffers from a) coming from a genre that wouldn't easily lend itself to Smash and b) being quite far behind in my list of 1st party characters to get in. Once Dixie and Porky are in the game, I'm sure I'll be more generous in my grade.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hyde your children

Chance: 0.5%
Very rare I go below 1% but Hotel Dusk is a very obscure Nintendo game. Nintendo are currently focusing on third parties(boo) and there's far more lucrative first party choices who would sell better than Kyle. Even amongst smaller nicher series, Chibi-Robo, Style Savvy and Isaac would most likely draw a bigger crowd.

Want: 15%
There's simply bigger Nintendo stars I want, namely Toad/Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and Waluigi all of whom are amongst the most recognisable faces in Nintendo's library not currently playable. If I go nicher there's Isaac and Chibi-Robo and Saki and even nicher still I'd prefer Doshin the Giant or Barbara the Bat.

Kyle isn't an awful choice persay but he'd be such a bizarre choice over better known Nintendo characters during a third party fighter obsessed speculation period.

Rockstar prediction: 8%

Nominate: Lara Croft x 5

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Kyle Hyde:
Chance: 1%
An obscure irrelevant 1st Party. There are bigger series like Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven that still get ignored to this day. Not happening.

Want: 5%
I mean, I wouldn't be actively against him but I could care less about him. Again, so many other characters I'd rather have over him.

Nominate: Chun-Li x 5

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Day will end around 7 am I am traveling.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Concept: Rockstar Games Rep
Chance:
1%
Never say never, but in this case I just don't see it. Like, maybe John Marston because of how RDR2 cleared up at the Game Awards but it's just. I dunno, it's hard to really see it happening. They have several candidates - including my favorites which I'll be talking about soon - but I don't see them as "Smash-material". That said, I am open-minded and I know how influential Rockstar is, so this chance rating is less of a "they don't deserve it" and more "I really don't see Nintendo working with them to make this happen".

Want: 10%
I almost abstained here because it's a very complicated moral thing for me. I hate what Rockstar Games has been doing lately. I enjoy very few of their games. Their business practices in regards to crunch have been abhorrent. And while Jimmy from Bully or John Marston would definitely be cool by virtue of being their character archetypes, I just can't see a Grand Theft Auto character being placed into the world of Smash.

That said...

I can't lie; I love GTA San Andreas. The Big Smoke memes are some of the funniest things ever, and CJ is an awesome protagonist and overall the game really is damn good. It's a bit juvenile at times and there's stuff that makes me a little uncomfortable (I'm not a prude or anything, I just feel that sometimes GTA's attempts at satire don't land) but overall, man, it's a good game with a great protagonist and a great side character, both of whom I would consider iconic in the open world genre who would be super fun moveset wise and entertaining in terms of personality as well.

I just don't really have CJ or Big Smoke on my wishlist is all. I'd love if they were confirmed, but it's not like I want them confirmed, you feel me? And any other Rockstar rep wouldn't really do anything for me.

Nominations:
Heihachi x5
Velvet Crowe x5

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Some songs to get into the Rockstar Games mood.

I'm starting my new job today so I'll post my ratings later.

Troykv

Smash Master
Bruh; I'm surprised we're actually rating a Rockstar character; but hey, I guess this can be fun to see.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Rockstar Games rep

I can't see it. At least, I can't see GTA. Maybe Max Payne, Jimmy (Bully) or Cole Phelps (LA Noire) could fit better but even then, I don't see many arguments as to why Nintendo in particular would want to bring a Rockstar rep of all things. Rockstar haven't really published a lot on Nintendo consoles and pretty much all of their games are brutal, but not over-the-top so like in Devil May Cry. The style doesn't fit and from a marketing viewpoint, Nintendo doesn't have much going on with them.

Want: 1%
There are many I'd like in Smash, a Rockstar rep isn't one of them. You can pull a moveset out of thin air for pretty anyone but theirs would be fairly basic. You have more colourful kits waiting to see the light of the day. I also don't want smash to become an official MUGEN where everyone gets to throw in their rep, even if they have very little to do with Nintendo.

Nominations:
Riesz x10
or (if I can't x10 someone)
Riesz x5, Amaterasu (Okami) x5

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Gonna have to abstain on this one. I'm extremely unfamiliar with Rockstar to make a rating, but I doubt GTA or RDR2 would make it anyway.

Specter Knight: 2.94%

The Goose x10

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Sweet! Okay, let's see.

From the Makers of Steely Wheely Automobiley

Definitely not a frontrunner for DLC. Sure, some people tend to say that we're now in territory where any Western IP/publisher is fair game, but I still don't see that proven. Not to mention that based on what I know from Rockstar. . . eh, I don't really see them going well together with Nintendo.

Want: 0%
Nah. Not interested.

Nominating Amaterasu x10

. . .Come to think, who are we predicting today?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

waddledeeonredyoshi

Smash Lord
LAMAJ vs erioioire
Chance: 0%
They're are a western company to start, sure we have may have the bear and bird now but that won't necessarily mean western third-parties will just start pouring in from here, and when compared to guys like Bethesda or Ubisoft, Rockstar's bond with Nintendo isn't nearly as strong. The amount of Rockstar games on Nintendo systems that I know about I can count on one hand and they're all spread across 4 different systems. LA Noire is the only game of theirs on the Switch to my knowledge. Their characters also don't seem to have any remarkable support and are imo too grounded in reality to really fit in with the roster. Their IP's are multi-milion sellers, don't get me wrong, but I don't see one of their characters getting in for the same reason I never see us getting a CoD soldier in Smash. I just don't see why Nintendo would want to negotiate with them of all companies.

I've never sat down and played one of their games so no personal experience there. Regardless, they just don't belong either way. If we were to get 'generic american guy with gun who swears alot' in Smash the series would really jump the shark.

Specter Knight (think he's next?): 1.22%
Bandana Dee x10

Last edited:

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Press X to Doubt their Chances

Chance: I'm pressing X on this one, 10%. Rockstar doesn't seem to have enough of a relationship with Nintendo to warrant this level of inclusion in Smash Bros., in addition I have no reason to believe Rockstar has any game of note in Japan which is another big issue. They feel like they wouldn't be among the first 10 western companies we get a Fighter from, if they ever do get in.

Want: Meh, their repotoire of characters doesn't interest me. Maybe Cole Phelps or CJ just so I can have a hearty laugh to myself (Cole Phelps: Smash Character) as I reminisce on the days I would just watch YouTube endlessly. But, I'm not seriously vested in them. 30%.

Arle Nadja x 10. Specter Knight isn't Shovel Knight so he'd be lucky to break 0.63%. If we're talking a different Specter Knight, I don't know who that is.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
ROCK/STARS

Chance: 2%

Originally, I was going to give Rockstar 15% due to how big, popular, and influential they are as a studio. Every new announcement from them garners unbelievable hype, their games always end up making blockbuster money, their stories are all incredibly rich and wonderfully told, and their characters are some of the most believable and layered in AAA gaming. In short, Rockstar has definitely lived up to their name.

But then I thought about it for an extra 10 seconds and...yeah, no. They have way too much going against them, most notably GTA, a franchise so heavily associated with controversy that I can't possibly imagine Nintendo wanting to touch it. Not to mention the fact that Rockstar is very much a Western studio that focuses on Western storytelling (outlaws in a dying old west, fitting in at an uppity prep school, etc) and a playstyle that, for the most part, centers around grounded realism. Add to all that the fact that only one of Rockstars biggest games has ever been on a Nintendo console (the controversial LA Noire) and you have the perfect recipe for a big fat "nope".

Still, gonna give it a ridiculously generous 2% only because Joker's initial reveal threw me for such a loop.

Don't get me wrong, the Red Dead games are incredible, Bully was fun for what it was, and the GTA series can be a great stress reliever with the right cheat codes. But I can't imagine what any character from those games would bring to Smash.

You know how I imagine them playing? Like some of the human characters from Playstation All-Stars: normal-looking jump, normal-looking punches and kicks, normal-looking guns, etc. What separates Smash from all other fighters is how unique, colorful, and bombastic every character is, whether that be from a design or playstyle standpoint. Even Snake - arguably the most "grounded in realism" character in the roster and the one who treads closest to the whole "PSAS:BR" feel - has enough lighthearted and ridiculous movements in his kit to keep him from feeling too out of place alongside Jigglypuff and Mr. Game & Watch. I just can't imagine Jimmy Hopkins or Arthur Morgan fitting in.

Not to mention, again, this is still a Nintendo game. I know Cloud, Joker, and Richter are all in the roster, but you can at the very least trace back their respective franchises to Nintendo's past. When I think of Rockstar games, I strictly think of the PC or Sony consoles.

Long story short, with so many other characters out there, each with a much more unique design and moveset, a Rockstar rep would bore me to tears.

Nominate: Thrall x10

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

September 24: Specter Knight (Shovel Knight)
September 25: Ellie (The Last of Us)
September 26: Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)
September 27: Jin Kazama (Tekken)
September 28: Velvet Crowe (Tales)
September 29: Adeleine (Kirby)
September 30: Gene (God Hand) & Concept: Another western character

Not many surprises with the top 7, Reimu and Jin climbed a few spots due to some last minute rise in nominations and Another Western character just got in.

Your new top seven consists of Kyo Kusanagi, Rundas, Ninten, Captain Rainbow, Micaiah, Zhao Yun, and Amaterasu.

Kyo Kusanagi x120
Rundas x115
Ninten x115
Captain Rainbow x112
[Rerate] Micaiah x110
Zhao Yun (Dynasty Warriors) x110
Amaterasu x110

150 - 101

Protector (Etrian Odyssey) x105
9-Volt x105

100 - 51

Aloy x100
Lara Croft x100
Concept: Valve rep x95
Boss: Kracko x95
Kratos x95
Farmer (Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons) x93
Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x90
Frogger x85
Glover x85
Noctis Lucis Caelum x80
Sunflower (Plants vs. Zombies) x80
Proto Man x75
Blaze the Cat x70
X (Mega Man) x68
Brian (Quest 64) x60
Papyrus x56
[Rerate] Arle Nadja x55
Decidueye x53

50 - 25

Dwight Fairfield (Dead by Daylight) x50
Reporter & Wrestler x50
Prince of Persia x50
Concept: Any grass-type starter x38
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x35
The Horrible Goose (Untitled Goose Game) x25

Under 25

[Rerate] Bandana Dee x20
Thrall (Warcraft) x20
The Blob (De Blob) x15
Concept: No more stages beyond the Pass x15
Chun-Li x11
Sol Badguy x10
Earthworm Jim x9
King Boo x8
Giygas x7
[Rerate] Quote x7
[Rerate] Tetromino x5
Sparky (Clash Royale) x5
Concept: Overwatch character x5
[Rerate] Geno x5
Concept: Lord Fredrik as an Echo of K. Rool x5
Kasumi (Dead or Alive) x5
Gordon Freeman x5
[Rerate] Heihachi x5
Riesz (Mana) x5
Monokuma x4
Urbosa x4
Concept: Pokéball Pokémon becomes playable x3
Black Shadow x2
[Rerate] Dante x2
Arle Nadja pops over the 50 nom mark.

The Horrible Goose sneaks out of the under 25 club.

Today's newcomers are Heihachi and Riesz, with 5 noms each.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
ROCKSTAR REP

Chance: 15%
Well, the day has finally come. I don't think this company needs an introduction. We all know about Grand Theft Auto and the company responsible for it, Rockstar Games. The company is certainly big and notable enough to warrant an inclusion, not to mention Rockstar has had games on Nintendo systems before, so there is a connection even though it's very slim.

A problem I see is that there is no particular character that stands out and acts as the company's mascot or poster child. Every game that Rockstar makes has a different protagonist, there hasn't been a case where they used the same protagonist again in different games, which makes picking a rep quite difficult. So should we choose the most popular characters that Rockstar created? If so then the biggest names that comes to my mind are CJ from Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and John Marston from Red Dead Redemption. There's also Jimmy Hopkins from Bully, but I don't think he's as big of a name as the two I mentioned.

Besides the character choice. There's also the question of if Nintendo wants to affiliate with Rockstar. Like I said, Rockstar has developed games on Nintendo systems before, so it's not like we're talking about a total stranger. But Rockstar isn't exactly known for their family friendly brand, they're a company that pushes the envelope in controversies and they thrive on them. Rockstar's big games are mostly on the Playstation and Xbox, and sometimes when they're generous the PC. The crowd is very much different from the one that Nintendo has, so could Nintendo want to get a piece of that crowd to buy their system? Well it's certainly possible and I wouldn't discount it.

Want: 50%
I'm actually intrigued by the possibility of this addition and it's something that I would welcome, especially since I'm a fan of the games that Rockstar have developed throughout their history. If I had it my way I would pick CJ from Grand Theft Auto. San Andreas is one of my favorite games and it's hard to deny the impact that Grand Theft Auto had on the open world genre, let alone the entire gaming industry. Grand Theft Auto protagonists have access to a wide range of arsenal from as simple as baseball bats to as technologically advanced as jet packs. If not GTA then Red Dead Redemption is another big name that has a protagonist I like whose archetype hasn't appeared in Smash yet, John Marston. He's a cowboy with gun slinging, horse riding, and a lasso that can work as a long command grab. There is potential for a fun and unique moveset if Sakurai looks deep for source material in all these games.

I know this company's inclusion will generate confusion and outrage, but I don't think it matters that much in the grand scheme of things. This is the most insane crossover that might happen yet and I'm up for it.

Spectre Knight prediction: 0.9%

Nominations:
Steve x10

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Rockstar Games Rep
They're more than notable in the west sure, but in Japan... I don't think so. It's far from impossible, but they don't have the demand or relationship with Nintendo to pull it off, methinks. In fact, maybe they're not even as interested in Smash compared to other western companies like Bethesda and Blizzard. Like, obviously Smash is a big deal, but I don't think Rockstar has ever treated getting a character as a priority.

Even if they're known for several different titles, GTA would be a priority for a character from Rockstar imo... and I really don't see it happening anytime soon.

Really, I don't see a good reason to put a character from even their more noteworthy titles in. Would CJ be funny? It would. But the biggest aspect of GTA is the sandbox, and that's not something I think would translate easily to Smash. Without it... there's little to differentiate a GTA character from other "multiple-weapon-based" characters. In that last aspect, I think characters like Dante, Kazuma Kiryu or even Frank West would be better choices.

People will probably wonder why I'm focusing more on GTA than, say, RDR2 or Bully. That's because I think that if their best selling/best known franchise doesn't stand a chance, neither do the others, even with their multiple achievements.

Predictions
Specter Knight: 1,43%

Nominations
[Rerate]: Sora x 10

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Rockstar rep

Chance 1% - Yeah, I don't feel like this will happen. Nobody from there is really a highly requested character. I think the most likely would be John Marston from RDR due to how well that game was received. Next likeliest would be Jimmy Hopkins from Bully or a GTA Rep, with the latter of the two sounding absurd. So while I think there are some characters who would fit as DLC, I really don't think any of the could be picked other than John. Bully is pretty much dead at the moment and nobody is really requesting a character from that series to get in so there's no reason for Nintendo to pick one from there. GTA would be fairly hype but there's a not a really high moveset potential there and I don't think Nintendo would really want to rep that series either. John Marston... well maybe, I could see that I suppose since he's really popular right now. Not sure what there is for moveset potential though( I haven't played RDR) but he still feels like a very out there pick.

Want 70
I'd happily take reps from the 3 series I mentioned above. I've always enjoyed GTA, Bully was fun, and even though I haven't played RDR getting someone from that game in would feel like a massive deal. I don't think this is going to happen at all unless the post fighters pass DLC is balls to the walls insanity but hey, a lot of the characters I'd love to see in the game are Sony characters who have even less of a shot than a Rockstar rep does, so I can't hate on it.

Noms
Kratos x 10

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Rockstar Games Rep

Chance: 1% - Considering the surprises we've gotten so far I wouldn't rule one out completely. Still, they are a Western company and Nintendo is likely being selective with them. Due to a general lack of a working relationship between them and Rockstar along with a general lack of ports and releases on Rockstar's side I just don't see Nintendo prioritizing them over someone like Activision or Bethesda. The biggest games of note that Rockster's put out onto Nintendo systems are a few GTA side games and driving games in the past, but the lack of any big name releases doesn't give Nintendo any kind of encouragement.

Want: 5% - I don't really play any of Rockstar's games so I don't really have much of a desire for a rep from them. Though CJ and Big Smoke would be hilarious, most Rockstar characters are humans with generic/realistic weapons (with the exception of the Bully protagonist), and as is the case with Resident Evil, I feel that the characters wouldn't particularly shine outside of their own environment.

Nominations:
[Rerate] Dovahkiin x10

Predictions:
Spectre Knight - 1.17%

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Rockstar Rep

Certainly not impossible but very unlikely, GTA, their main star franchise and their other series suffers from what Mortal Kombat suffers. The violence is what is most well known about the game and certainly wouldn't fly in Smash. Although unlike Mortal Kombat, GTA actually does decently well in sale figures in terms of western games.

Want: 5%

I've never a been a huge fan of GTA. And I never got attached to any of the characters.

Spector Knight Prediction: 0.23%

Nominate Sol Badguy x10

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Rockstar Rep

Chance: 5%. Competition is not the only main concern around this Rep. Many people are wanting different characters, but for now it's mostly unlikely.

Want: 50%. I'm on the fence for this one. They could be fun to play, but for now, I'm neutral to this ideal Rep.

Noms: 3 for Earthworm Jim, 2 for Urbosa, 3 for Concept: Pokeball Pokémon becomes playable and 2 for Concept: Any grass-type starter

Neosonic97

Smash Journeyman
I'm abstaining for the Want rating, but for chance...

Chance: oof
Yeah, I don't see this one happening. Mostly because the only games that Rockstar Games has made that could ever hope to be considered iconic are Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto. Both of which... yeah. Just no.

Noms: Kyo Kusanagi x10. Mostly because it'll be easy for me to rate him.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Rockstar Games, or Pushing things to its limits (Walk along a razor's edge):

Chance: 5 %

Yea, I'm gonna be a bit more generous than most here. While Rockstar doesn't have much if any relationship with Nintendo, their options could be workable if some creativity is sprinkled in. The GTA protags (CJ being the foremost amongst them) could work somewhat like Frank West does in UMvC3 minus the zombies. Of course, the GTA protags are stuck between a rock and a hard place: keep them too faithful and you risk having CERO (Japan's ratings board) breathing down your necks. CERO tightened their rules because of GTA's controversy at the time, I should mention. Experiment too much you get lots of complaints that the inclusion is "Just not GTA". I do think it's possible to strike a balance and come up with a moveset fit for Smash, it's just really hard. For example, keep the guns (semi-)unrealistic like Joker.

Their other options have similar appeal but less notoriety or workability. RDR could perhaps work if only because Smash lacks a cowboy character. While I'm not too familiar with RDR, it still could be worth taking a first look into. Of course, the problems remain, but:

Snake and Joker do come from (mostly) serious series, so I feel that the door's never permanently shut on Rockstar, should they and Nintendo somehow be interested. And if Sakurai truly wanted that "WTF" he'd likely go for something like this.

Want: 45 %

While I'm neutral on the whole, I do find the mere thought very interesting. Just from a "WTF?" standpoint alone. Sure, I'm the kind of guy who would enjoy Scorpion and Mario on the same screen somewhat for similar reasons. But that's what Smash kinda does right? Bring unlikely games together.

Noms: Lara Croft x5

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
THESE CHARACTERS ARE LOCKED DOWN, NOMINATIONS FOR THEM ARE OBSOLETE

September 24: Specter Knight (Shovel Knight)
September 25: Ellie (The Last of Us)
September 26: Reimu Hakurei (Touhou Project)
September 27: Jin Kazama (Tekken)
September 28: Velvet Crowe (Tales)
September 29: Adeleine (Kirby)
September 30: Gene (God Hand) & Concept: Another western character

Not many surprises with the top 7, Reimu and Jin climbed a few spots due to some last minute rise in nominations and Another Western character just got in.

Your new top seven consists of Kyo Kusanagi, Rundas, Ninten, Captain Rainbow, Micaiah, Zhao Yun, and Amaterasu.
I feel my day each moment come closer, I need to fix the old post.

Well... so Rockstar Games Rep.

Chance: Doubt/100.

This company it's a bit weird to talk about in Smash speculation because well... they're without a doubt iconic having some of the biggest selling franchises in their side. So without a doubt isn't something impossible... but there it's a key problem.

How do you make a moveset about games that are pretty much about real life? I'll left Sakurai with the possibility to surprise me; he's the madman after all. But I doubt this is something that could particularly engage with him.

Actual Chance Score: 3%

I'm pretty neutral with Rockstar Content personally; I like the GTA Games, but I'm not exactly a fan, I'm mostly someone that plays them because of the circunstances.

______

Predictions:

Specter Knight: 0.78%

Nominations:

Micaiah x5

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Concept: Rockstar Games rep

Gotta say I am genuinely surprised by how little discussion Rockstar Games gets in these post-Joker times. Some things that they have going for them:
  • GTA V is the fastest selling entertainment product in history and the third best selling game of all time. That is nothing to scoff at.
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 earned a ton of awards at the Game Show Awards last year (where Nintendo has announced many things in the past including Joker). It even helped inspire the upcoming Zelda BotW sequel, which a lot of the Nintendo staff have been playing.
  • Rockstar has had games on Nintendo systems in the past including Bully: Scholarship Edition and GTA: Chinatown Wars. Recently we even got LA Noire on Switch.
Granted while Rockstar Games are typically rated M, I think someone from Red Dead Redemption or LA Noire could translate into Smash easily without being too inappropriate since we have Joker who uses a gun. The main things holding them back is that they aren't the most Nintendo-friendly company out there and they are a Western company which I still think is a slight downside even with Banjo being confirmed.

Then of course there is the elephant in the room: Grand Theft Auto. Considering how GTA has made headlines multiple times for things like the hot coffee incident in San Andreas and the torture mission in GTA V - the first of which attracted attention from U.S. senators - I don't see Nintendo stepping an inch towards this series. I feel like just about any popular M rated series can fit into Smash well with enough tweaking, but GTA is one of the only ones I don't see happening ever considering the history/controversy surrounding it.

If we did get a Rockstar character it'd probably be John Marston or Arthur Morgan from Red Dead Redemption. If GTA was on the table we'd probably get either Trevor or CJ due to GTA V being big and San Andreas being a classic to many.

Want: 60%
It really depends on who the character would be but for the most part I'd be pretty alright with this. CJ or Niko would be awesome and while I have never played RDR I think we are long overdue for a cowboy character. Of course there are still a ton of other characters I'd want to see first before thinking about any Rockstar Games character.

Specter Knight chance prediction: 1.26% (not happening since we still don't have Shovel Knight yet)

Nominations:
Kyo Kusanagi x10

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Abstaining on Rockstar rep. There are a few things that I need to know before I can make a proper judgement. Firstly, what is their relationship with Nintendo (as in, how often have they worked together, especially recently)? Secondly, how big are they in Japan (while it is true that Banjo was popular in the West, keep in mind he had fans in Japan, too)? Though I will admit, a GTA character would be a sight to behold indeed...

Nominations: Concept: Dragalia Lost rep x10

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
All you had to do was get on the Smash train!

Rockstar Games is one of the most important, successful, acclaimed and influential developers in the history of gaming. It makes sense that they would be in consideration for Smash. GTA alone is probably responsible for ushering the modern age of gaming and many of its changes. Their games are constantly acclaimed and sell tons, with GTAV being the single most profitable entertainment product in history and the fastest selling one too.

Of course, they're a Western company and one of the ones with the least amount of business with Nintendo. They're almost antithetical to each other - Nintendo is a family friendly brand that focuses on gameplay over story, while Rockstar specializes in making adult, boundary-pushing (in themes and technology) titles that tell great stories.

Western devs getting in Smash might be an issue, and Rockstar hasn't had a lot of its defining games on Nintendo systems, but honestly I still think it's a considerable possibility. At the very least, around as likely as Doom. For one, Sakurai values influential titles, and Rockstar's a vaultfull of them. Also, some of their titles have been pretty popular in Japan too (GTA V comes to mind) which is a very big bonus for any Western character.

Now who would rep Rockstar Games? According to the rules that we sort of believe are in place, a character needs to have appeared on a Nintendo platform to get in - at the very least, there are no exceptions to that yet. Grand Theft Auto seems like the obvious franchise to be represented - it's their flagship. The main candidates to consider are Claude from III, Tommy Vercetti from Vice City, CJ from San Andreas, Niko Bellic from IV, Huang Lee from Chinatown Wars and Michael de Santa, Franklin Clinton and Trevor Philips from V. Those are the main titles in the series (except for CTW, more on that later). So let's look at them individually and see pros and cons.

Claude has the fact that GTA III is a landmark title in gaming history that created the open world as we know it. I believe Sakurai would appreciate that. He's also a mute, which might make him fit in better with the Smash crew. Finally, he's got one of the more iconic designs amongst the protagonists (I'd say second to CJ and maybe to the V crew). Also of note is that there's debate among GTA fans on whether this Claude is the same as GTA2's protagonist Claude Speed - if so, then Claude has been on the Game Boy Color.

Tommy Vercetti is one of the most violent GTA protagonists and while a great game, it's stuck between the more revolutionary III and San Andreas so I'd have a hard time seeing him. However Vice City would probably make the best stage.

CJ is the most iconic protagonist in all the series and the star of the seminal San Andreas. He has been cited as one of the nicest and most relatable protagonists in the series. Of all the candidates I think he has the strongest shot.

Niko, like CJ, is also incredibly sympathetic, and his game was the first GTA for the HD generation. The story is somber and sad yet poignant, but I don't really see him being picked.

Huang Lee is the outlier here. Chinatown Wars is not a mainline title, rather it's a top-down game in the vein of the original titles yet taking place in the Liberty City of IV and maintaining the somber tone. The reason I'm mentioning it is that Chinatown Wars is a DS game, and while not exclusive, the game was clearly made for the system and it's the best version of it. Chinatown Wars was acclaimed (it's the best DS game on Metacritic) and I think it has a chance. I guess I should mention that there was also a GTA Advance and so its star Mike is technically in play but it's been largely forgotten.

Finally, we have the GTAV trio. None of them are more important than the others story-wise so all three are in contention. Franklin Clinton I'd say is the least iconic of the three and the one with the most forgettable personality, which could work for or against him. Trevor Philips is 100% the most violent and psychotic protagonist in GTA history and there's no way he would be the one chosen, even if he's the most iconic one of the three. Michael de Santa I think strikes a great balance between the two and I would say is more or less the main character of the game if I had to pick one. All three should be considered simply because of V's massive success, but the fact that there's three of them means they kind of cannibalize each other's chances.

Now who else could rep Rockstar? Well for starters, Red Dead seems to have become their secondary series, so someone from there could work. Red Harlow from Revolver is barely in contention as that game is really divorced from what the series later became and didn't get on Nintendo systems anyways. John Marston from 1 and Arthur Morgan from 2 are both incredibly iconic but of course neither of them have been on Nintendo either. Of the two I think Arthur Morgan would have the upper hand because RDR2 was even better received, but of course 1 could pop up on the Switch any day.

There's also Jimmy Hopkins from Bully. Bully did get on the Wii, Jimmy is more of a traditional hero (he fights against bullies) and he's a kid going around with prank stuff and slingshots so he might be a better fit for Smash. Bully 2 has been rumored for a while and it appears that it might be Rockstar's next game so who knows, maybe we even get the first one on Switch.

I figure I might as well mention Max Payne, who Rockstar now owns. A series big enough to get its own movie, the first Max Payne was ported to GBA, and his slow motion shooting wouldn't be out of place alongside Bayonetta.

Finally, there's L.A. Noire. It's on Switch! Cole Phelps is definitely a cleaner character, if less iconic, and we could have a detective archetype. The downside is that with Team Bondi shutting down, the likelihood of Noire getting a sequel is low unless the recent ports sold really well.

So there you have it, I think that's more or less everyone who could be in. One thing that's clear is that most characters would break the "has to be on Nintendo" rule, but all of the series barring Red Dead have at least one game on Nintendo hardware. Honestly, given Rockstar's pedigree, I can see that rule being broken more than I can see them getting rejected because of it. And of course, given the Switch's reputation as a haven for ports, any of the games from the last two generations could be ported and immediately invalidate any arguments against those characters.

I should also mention that most of their characters fill archetypes not yet represented: the criminal, the cop, the cowboy. And there aren't many characters that can fill those archetypes better. So if Sakurai, like with Incineroar, wants one of those archetypes to play with, we have pretty good candidates here.

As for want, as much as I'm a huge fan of their titles, I can't see any of them being that fun to play as. At the same time, Rockstar has definitely earned its place, and seeing something like "Michael buries the hatchet!" pop up in a Smash trailer would definitely send chills down my spine. So I'll got with the exact 50%.

Chance: 13%

Specter Knight prediction: 0.44%
Noms: Prince of Persia x10

D

Deleted member

Aw **** here we go again: The Company

Chance: 5%
Rockstar games has a large presence in gaming history and is one of the bigger gaming companies but that's about it and from researching their history with Nintendo the biggest thing I came up with is that the GTA franchise started on Nintendo consoles which is neat but so did the Shantae franchise and all it got was a few Spirits so that doesn't mean much.

It could happen and we could be overlooking it like we did with Terry and SNK but there's no clear cut character they could pull from for Rockstar games, A GTA character maybe? They could cut down on the risque elements from the games as they did with Bayo but there's no real central protagonist or clear choice for a GTA character. CJ maybe? He's one of the better known GTA characters but they could also choose the most recent character or a plethora of different GTA protagonists.

The Red dead protagonist? They could go for them but Rockstar is more known for GTA than anything and as I said there's no real clear choice for such franchise. Granted the company is certainly big enough and prominent enough to get a character but I just don't see it happening I could be wrong though.

I guess my argument doesn't hold up when we look at how FF was represented but Cloud has always stuck out as an iconic character that goes past just Final Fantasy which may be why he's representing FF7 only as him and his game are Iconic and one of the biggest and most well known RPGs to date while none of the GTA games stick out like that.

I just don't see it happening.

I don't find any of their franchises interesting or fascinating enough for me to root for any of them. I guess they could be cool but I'm personally not interested in them at all.

Nominations:
Concept:
First Parties after the Fighters Pass x5

D

Deleted member

[Insert Smash Mouth - All Star Meme Here]

Rockstar games sure likes to push their own IPs more than actually doing crossovers, and that's 1 reason why I think it's highly unlikely that a Rockstar character will be in Smash. This feels more like the kind of conversation a possible Valve rep might get, except Valve sounds like a bigger contender to have a rep in Smash than Rockstar because they have IPs that aren't focused on being super realistic as possible. It doesn't even matter if MSM starts throwing a fit over a GTA character making it to Smash over some agenda they have against the games because most of Rockstar's games have been set to be as realistic as possible and not overtly goofy like how the Yakuza series is, and it's games like that and Resident Evil that get more of an edge over GTA, RDR, and LA Noire because they have more creative materials for Smash than any of Rockstar's games. The 1 IP Rockstar does have that isn't as realistic as GTA or RDR is Manhunt, but that series has zero possibility of making it to Smash since it's a dead IP and is very likely to have almost no appeal in Japan for the kind of violence it has (though I wouldn't be surprised if the game was banned in Japan). Overall, Rockstar games is perhaps the least likely company to get a rep for Smash.

Want: 7%

As fun as it would be to watch people collectively lose their **** over someone like CJ or Big Smoke making it to Smash, I can't say I'd be a fan of a Rockstar rep in Smash. When I think of Smash, none of Rockstar's games really give me the impression that they'd make a solid fit for Ultimate. I guess the only exception would be Jimmy Hopkins from Bully, but it's really hard for me to root behind him when he isn't as strong of a name for Smash than the characters both in and out of Rockstar.
------------------
Predictions:

Spectre Knight: 3.2%
------------------
Noms:
Zhao Yun x10

Last edited by a moderator:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Rockstar
Chance 3%
Even in this third party obsessed era of Smash (which hopefully ends with the end of the pass) I don't see this happening. Aren't most of them very basic humans? And even if the games are beloved, I can't name a single character.
I just want Nintendo characters, this doesn't do anything for me. Plus the designs are really boring.

Nominate no more stages after the pass x10

Prediction spectre knight 0.7%

Top Bottom